Speaker 1: Good evening, everybody, and welcome to another episode of Fire Up. I hope we're all fired up tonight. I know there's some basketball teams that have fired up and some that are not. So I'm gonna go around and introduce everybody. Pensman, welcome back to the show tonight.
Speaker 2: Thanks for having me. I'm fired up. Let's go.
Speaker 1: Okay, mister j D, how are you tonight?
Speaker 3: I am doing well. Let's fire up these friars, Let's get Southern fried, let's do whatever it is y'all do down in Florida, and let's fire up baby.
Speaker 1: And then Brian, welcome the show. Is your first time on fire.
Speaker 4: Uh yeah, welcome.
Speaker 5: Welcome, Thank you for letting me coming in. And my name is Brian, and I'm just gonna have fun and I'm ready to go. Let's go, let's fire it up.
Speaker 1: Tell people a little bit about yourself, Brian, Like, where are you located? What kind of I'm.
Speaker 5: Located actually in Easley, South Carolina, and I like playing sports and listening to sports, and I'm a big Clemson fan and a Cubs fan and all kinds of other.
Speaker 3: Fans to uhh yeah, hey, well, hey, we know we've got a clash already, Me and Brian down here on the bottom. You know, I got a chicken on my shirt for a reason. Gang Cocks and Tigers, we don't get a little get a well so long, but do we know? Yeah, we do. Me and Brian, we're good buddies. I'm so happy to be here though, with him and Pensman send our Candy. Almost called you, Cindy, Sorry, but Candy, I'm so happy to be here with you.
Speaker 1: Glad to be here too. Brian, We're gonna class you and I are going to clash a little bit too. If you didn't know this, I'm actually I was raised in Wisconsin, so I am definitely a Brewers fan, so Brewers fans typically do not like Cubs fans. But it's okay, you.
Speaker 2: Know, feeling side feelings aside.
Speaker 1: Exactly exactly. We got the better of you last year, so hey more can I say?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 1: It's a new season though, so and you guys are spending. You guys spend a lot more money than we do.
Speaker 2: And it took and it took the Cubs one hundred and eight years to actually win a World Series, and I'll probably take another one hundred and eight but what that's another time.
Speaker 3: That's topic.
Speaker 1: Right now, we're talking March madness.
Speaker 2: That's right, That's why I said that's another time. Just want throw that undred one hundred and eight to you.
Speaker 3: What is uh can what is march madness?
Speaker 2: Now madness?
Speaker 1: There's a lot of March madness, isn't there? Like in the NFL all this NFL free agency. But let's take it the March madness. The brackets the men and women's college basketball, and it started the other night and it's continuing with some typical upside upsets because like we normally see on the men's side, five twelve matchups, normally there's an upset at least one in that bracket. Pensman talk a little bit about college basketball.
Speaker 2: Well, just want to educate everybody. John call Perry used to coach the Kentucky Wildcats. Daddy went to Arkansas. Everybody started trash talking that John Kerry Perry lost. They can't do this, can't do that, He can't coach a small school, can't be a coach the Kentucky way. Well guess what, everybody, They just took out Kansas Jayhawks and Jayhawks have to wait till November to play basketball. Yeah, they just defeated him in round one.
Speaker 1: They did, they did, and it was a big win for him, huge, Yes.
Speaker 2: And cal Perry's wife and daughter could not watch the end and then they started celebrating when the horn went. It was awesome to watch. So good good for cal Perry.
Speaker 1: Good good good JD. Your thoughts so far in the tournament.
Speaker 3: I have a few things to say. I'll try to get them out relatively quickly. Number one, I told y'all earlier I heard the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard in my entire life on the radio this morning. Brian, did you hear it? You heard it this? Yeah, this guy had the nerve to say that Will Wade, a former graduate of Clemson University, was not going to do everything in his power to upset Clem and Candy. You just mentioned twelve's over fives. I saw McNee state. They went viral not long ago. They have a heck of a trainer. I think that's very popular Will Wade. Obviously people have their feelings over him, but he just took the job at NC State, and this dude literally had the nerve to say he's not gonna do whatever he can to win this game, Bro, we're talking about college athletics. Okay, We're not talking about some referee in the seventies trying to throw a football game like and remember the Titans. Okay, that's not what we're talking about here. We're talking about Will Wade, who just accepted an ACC job. And speaking of the ACC, i'll transition. Somebody asked question earlier, will the ACC flutter out first or will it be the SEC. So we just saw Arkansas win. As Pensman mentioned, we do see Drake beating Missouri right now, fifty to forty one with about eight minutes ago in the second half. So you've already seen Louisville, though, upset by Creighton, who knew that UNC was going to go on a major run the minute that anybody said they didn't belong in the tournament. They were going on a run.
Speaker 2: Period.
Speaker 3: I saw it coming from a mile away. I put him in the sweet sixteen. I picked McNeice over Clemson. So I mean, my bracket's not perfect. I missed the Louisville Creighton pick. But you want to know the good thing about it is I used the pencil and not pen So.
Speaker 2: You're cheating, cheating, cheating, cheater.
Speaker 3: I reserved the right to change my picks.
Speaker 2: How you can't have pencil.
Speaker 3: I haven't done that. I'm just kidding. But if you're not, I'm I'm completely jugging. I did the whole I did the internet thing, so I can't go back and change them. But if you're not cheating, you're not trying in my opinion, And maybe Clemson should have cheated against McNeice. They did make a heck of a run in the second half, So Briant Clemson fan, my man, I'm Candy was about to throw it to you. I'll let her do it, but I'm ready to hear how you feel about Brad Brandell getting that extension and then losing in the first round of the playoffs.
Speaker 1: Go for it, Brian, you mean you may.
Speaker 4: My honesty okay, my honest thing.
Speaker 3: Is, of course, I want you to be honest. No cheating, Yeah, no cheating, No cheating.
Speaker 4: Okay, Yeah. I haven't liked Okay.
Speaker 5: The only coach that I've actually liked that has been under Clemson is probably the Tennessee coach.
Speaker 3: No, no way, Rick Barnes. I was about to say it before you said it was Yes, it was.
Speaker 4: A good coach.
Speaker 5: And after that, it's this gone downhill from there all the way down. And I just don't I mean the style, okay, but it's it's it's just something missing. There's every minute of the day it's more or less we miss we do it. Just like today, that team didn't even look like it's been That team didn't even look nothing like three weeks ago. But they've been struggling all they've been struggling all year. So but my take on the whole entire basketball season, it's gonna get crazy. That's why they call it the March Madness. It's gonna get crazy, and it's gonna get you know, it's gonna get crazy.
Speaker 3: Right, Miss Candy. Can I drop a few stats? Of course you can. And of course, so Clemson scored the fewest points by any one through five seed in the first half of the first round of an NCUBLEA Tournament game ever, thirty one to thirteen. Pensman, didn't you just say that threes was Scott's favorite number? Well, ago you said thirty three point three, So he likes threes. Thirty one to thirteen, man, that's a football score, and Clemson was losing by that at the half. Like I said, they made a valiant run, but they dropped the fewest points in the first half of an NC tournament game ever. Yeah, thirty one thirteen.
Speaker 2: No, no, no, that sounds so familiar. Friday, Nate Duke and North Carol played. They had a heck over run.
Speaker 3: They came up Stuart, Oh, North count Man. They a lane violation, a lane violation, which is well, I mean he did commit a laying violation.
Speaker 2: He did. But you don't hear about violations.
Speaker 3: Well you might in high school, but not when they're to tie the game.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but not in college and the NBA.
Speaker 3: I mean, well, that's the thing about all sports. Certain things get highlighted more, like everybody with the chiefs and they're cheating and stuff like. Certain things get highlighted a bit more when it comes down to crunch clutch time, which, by the way, does anybody out there under the age of thirty know what a clutch is, Like, what an actual clutch is. That'll be the third pedal to the left. NASCAR doesn't even use a clutch anymore, for the love of God. They use a little lever over here on their on their shifter. So I guarantee you nobody under the age of thirty knows what a clutch is. And then here are two more stats, and I'll let you guys.
Speaker 2: D JD if they hope before you do the stats, if that's car would do a clutch as they would break easily and burn out by halfway the race.
Speaker 3: They just got the clutch like two years ago.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm just saying they would burn out and the pit will be Oh.
Speaker 3: They did just They did just fine for forty eight years with.
Speaker 2: A club I know, I know.
Speaker 3: And they also did just fine for five years with a bunch of moonshine in the trunk.
Speaker 2: Oh, you're bringing that up.
Speaker 3: Say you're trying to give them an out for not using the clutch anymore.
Speaker 2: That's because they're not worth having anymore.
Speaker 1: You're you're turning that this topic around. We're right now, No NASCAR, come on, let's get fired up for March madness.
Speaker 2: All right to your status.
Speaker 3: Well, hey, Pensman does love Daytona.
Speaker 1: I know he does.
Speaker 3: That's where he Oh man, I had to do it. I don't knew it. So the other two stats, though, were Clemson. They were out rebounded like thirty one to thirteen or something. Also very similar to the score. I forget the exact stat and then the other stat though was McNeice. They had twenty seven bench points. And when you have that kind of bench production, I don't care what kind of basketball game you're playing, you're probably gonna win.
Speaker 1: I agree, I agree.
Speaker 3: I mean.
Speaker 1: The team that I'm gonna talk about, obviously, the other team that won decisively I would say today was my Wisconsin Badgers eighty five over Montana sixty six. The Badgers shot it a lot better. Let's face it, Montana didn't shoot well. They were only shooting thirty nine percent from the field, whereas Badgers were shooting fifty five percent. Three pointers, you know, Montana made seven, Wisconsin made seven, and then free throws Wisconsin made eighty percent and Montana only made nine. Wisconsin played Michigan tough in the Big Ten at tourney and they beat Michigan State, which Michigan State was, you know, one the Big Ten regular season, so it'll be interesting. Now Wisconsin gets BYU on Saturday, so it's a three six matchup, so that should be a very interesting game. But any other.
Speaker 3: Thoughts, Candy out, Can I ask you one question? Sure? How? Because I know this was another topic of conversation. How did you feel about Michigan winning the Big Ten beating Wisconsin Maryland? I think Michigan State was the other team they beat.
Speaker 2: You didn't but you didn't tune in by, did you?
Speaker 3: No, No, I missed it, So I want to hear what No I missed it?
Speaker 1: So Wisconsin beat Michigan State, Scott.
Speaker 3: The lower seed. What I was going to say is Michigan ended up with that lower seed, right? And how do you feel where you? I mean, I know it's more about the body of work, but how what were your thoughts on didn't Michigan deserve a higher seed? I guess maybe it would be the way I would ask it.
Speaker 1: I don't know if I would do that because with all the all the changeover from Michigan from last year now last year they had Dwan Howard as the coach, they didn't make the tournament. They were what were they? They had a really bad record like eight and something last year, and they hired Dusty May who came up from over here. We worked with him over at a FAU and he took some of his players up to Michigan as well. He took flag Golden who's had a really good year. He's really turned the program around. Are they where they probably want to be?
Speaker 6: No?
Speaker 1: But do I think Wisconsin deserved the better seed. I do because it was a very close game. They didn't lose by much in the in that big ten turn anything, it was like six points and it was so it wasn't by much. I think people that they've played, their strength of schedule played a role. I think coaching. I mean, Dusty may is a great coach, but he's the first year, first time there at Michigan, whereas Greg Guard's been there for a while at Wisconsin. And I think I'd like to see Wisconsin do well. They've they've had one of the a good player, a couple of good players, you know. I mean, we've had Frank the Tank in the past. But it'll be interesting. I think. You know, they have John Blackwell who got nineteen points today. He did well. They have some other who else I'm trying to think. I unfortunately, I work a daytime job, and of course they want to put my game on at one o'clock during the afternoon. And no, I'm not one of these because I'm a manager. I can't yet look at the phone and watch them while they're while it was playing. So but they have some good players. They have Tanji who he he did good today too as well, so fifteen points for him, Crowl eighteen. So they spread it around a little. It sounds like Amos at eleven. So I'm happy with the seating. But thanks for asking.
Speaker 3: My pleasure.
Speaker 5: Yeah, all right, so far I am this was this is going back to Mart's madness right now. I am with my right now, I'm a ninety one point nine percent with ninety points, and I am two point zero million people in the fix right now.
Speaker 3: That was something too. How about perfect brackets, Candy, I could have worn that was a perfect bracket not long ago, but apparently never.
Speaker 2: They're showing they're showing the Clemson highlights.
Speaker 4: Sorry, Brian, are your fine?
Speaker 3: No? Hey, you mean you mean the Clemson low lights.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they're showing the highlights right now.
Speaker 1: I thought there was a perfect bracket last year, wasn't there?
Speaker 3: No? Not, No, it's been at I thought there was one like fifteen years ago, but somebody searched it when I asked the question earlier, and no, they said never. The closest was someone in Ohio twenty nineteen, who got forty nine out of sixty three or something like that in the first round or first two rounds.
Speaker 1: That's right there saying no one ever has had a verified perfect bracket and the odds of achieving one are astronomically low, estimated at around one in nine point two quintillionion All.
Speaker 3: Well, hey, since we're talking about stats, somebody did that math on the radio earlier, Brian, you probably heard it as well. It was like everybody would have to fill out one billion brackets everybody on planet Earth. What is there three and a half billion, four billion, whatever it is now in order to hit that nine quintillion number of the chance everybody would have to fill out a billion brackets, Candy. And when you start talking about the difference between a billion and a million, if you start talking about it in seconds and years, the number gets really crazy. It's so long, Kansas, Yeah, so long. Good night.
Speaker 2: Welcome to the show, Heady, Welcome to the show.
Speaker 3: Yeah, thanks for being here.
Speaker 4: Brother.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I had believe this or not, and I can show you I picked Arkansas to beat Kansas.
Speaker 3: No you didn't, I would Yeah, I would have picked them, took Kansas happened.
Speaker 2: I'll be good job, Brian. I thought you would take can Yeah.
Speaker 3: He brought the receipt, bro Yeah, I get out of here. Receipt mine's in pencil. I don't have it here.
Speaker 1: Well, on this Drake Missouri game has gotten close.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's what I got on right now? Yeah?
Speaker 2: Why why is Liberty which is I'm not taking anything from them, but why is Liberty in Oregon playing at ten to ten? Nobody cares about that at Duke's playing at two forty I do.
Speaker 4: I'll care about the Oregon game.
Speaker 2: Of course you would say that. Of course, Brian.
Speaker 3: Edie Eddie, he said he picked McNeese to win as one of his twelves.
Speaker 2: That is doesn't Oh man.
Speaker 3: We got game cock Chuck chiming in and.
Speaker 2: The coach that the coach that we're talking about is about playing is about to start soon with Patino.
Speaker 1: So do we think there's an upset gonna happen tomorrow? And if it is, who's it gonna be? Mm?
Speaker 2: Liberty?
Speaker 3: Uh here, Candy, can you give me a few of the games.
Speaker 1: Sure, we're gonna start Baylor versus Mississippi State, Robert Morris versus Alabama Lipscomb versus Iowa State, Colorado State versus Memphis, which is a twelve five matchup. Mount Saint Mary versus Duke, Vanderbilt versus Saint Mary's. North Carolina versus Ole, Miss Grand Canyon versus Maryland, Norfolk State versus Florida, Troy versus Kentucky, New Mexico versus Marquette, Akron versus Arizona, Oklahoma versus Connecticut, Xavier versus Illinois, Bryant versus Michigan State, and Liberty versus Oregon, which is another five to twelve matchup.
Speaker 3: What was that first twelve five matchup you mentioned?
Speaker 1: The first five to twelve matchup was Colorado State versus Memphis.
Speaker 3: Okay, yeah, that's where I was going to start. Memphis this year hasn't been with a lot of pea people. I think I expected them to be, so I would say that that one might be one.
Speaker 7: But on the other hand, go eddie, eddie my next one, and this might be a shocker.
Speaker 3: We got Hurley trying to go for a three peet with Connecticut. Right, Oklahoma went eight and twelve in the SEC and guess what a lot of people said about them. They don't belong. Guess what I just said. You n C is going to the Sweet sixteen. So there's your other U n C Ole Miss. So I'm taking UNC to beat Ole Miss. And then I don't as far as upset to watch, give me yeah, give me Oklahoma over Connecticut tomorrow as well.
Speaker 1: Okay, Pensman, you got do you have any upsets?
Speaker 2: You think Liberty beat in the organ like Eddie said, but I said it before Eddie. But I'm just glad Eddie read with me. But that's awesome that I would love to see Liberty beat in the Oregon Brian.
Speaker 1: How about you any.
Speaker 4: State beating Memphis?
Speaker 5: Okay, so yep, And then I got Oklahoma, I mean, got that's not an upset, but you can over Oklahoma tomorrow.
Speaker 4: So that's what I got.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, so he yeah, you were opposite on me there. Yeah, yeah, we'll we'll have to track those receipts. And then hey, yeah, Eddie and Pensman as so we've got Clemson guy over here, Brian. They lost, but guess what game Cocks lost last year in the tournament to Oregon to a player who transferred from South Carolina to Oregon, Cusynard. And yeah, I'm good with that, y'all. Get yes, please beat Oregon Liberty, go sure, beat him. Get him out of here. You're out of here, Get out of here.
Speaker 2: I got one stat to bring up since JD's full stats, so I'm bringing some stats in. Saint John's is about Ray to play in the March Badness. This is the first time they've been in March Badness play since twenty fifteen. So Rick Potito, coach your heart out and hope you win this match. Because we were talking about Rick Potito last week, So hopefully what we talk about last night carries over to right now as we're about radio tip.
Speaker 3: Off right well, and Brian and Candy, I'll let you guys chime in on this. Speaking of Rick Patino, I mean, yeah, it isn't he just kind of flying under the radar a little bit right where you want to be. You don't want anybody talking about you, You don't want anybody blowing your players heads up. So are those guys not just like flying under the radar right now in a perfect spot?
Speaker 1: Mm hmmm, I would say yeah. I mean we also saw history this year because coach Rick Patino and coach Richard Patino are the first ever father son duo to receive conference Coach of the Year honors in the same year in all of Division one.
Speaker 3: Best father son duo in basketball. And yes, I know about Lebron and Brownie James.
Speaker 1: Oh that is funny. That is funny. How far do we think Duke's gonna go? Who's gonna Who's gonna win it all? Who's your who's your.
Speaker 6: Mm hmm?
Speaker 3: What's your pick?
Speaker 2: Before I go, you're talking to a Duke Harod, You want my opinion?
Speaker 3: Honestly, do you really think Duke will win it all?
Speaker 2: Hold on Duke in Florida in the in the championship and I think Florida has a slate edge. Okay, yeah, the Gator's note right there, right there.
Speaker 5: I got Duke and Michigan State playing for the championship game, and I have Duke coming out there as a winner.
Speaker 1: JD.
Speaker 3: I mean, it's really tough between Auburn and Florida, I think as to who I would pick. But yeah, as Eddie just said, there depends on Cooper Flag's health, which another stat he will he'll play tomorrow, but honestly, I'm not playing him. I'm John Shire. You're smart in that just because he's available doesn't mean you have to play him. Okay, he can come back and play. Yes, Cooper Flag is one of those talents I think that can and go out and win a championship on his own. For Duke, I do believe that, But I don't know. There's still some kind of sneaky team out there. I feel like that. I just feel like, you know what I mean, there's always one every year that kind of just grow.
Speaker 2: Did you see the South Region bracket though? That they should cruise to the final four. It's until you get to the final four is where it's gonna get tricky. Ms as if you might want to go pencil your bracket out and look at the South Region again.
Speaker 3: Right, I'm just telling you're a lot braver than I.
Speaker 5: We're about to have another upset now, Drake is gonna be missou.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it looks like at fifty eight fifty one.
Speaker 2: Again, good, there's the receipt. There's the receipt.
Speaker 3: Yet got another one if it happens, everybody, hey go make sure to look back at twenty eight minutes and you can get all of Brian's info from his illegal gambling website.
Speaker 2: He uses so we're live at So I have a question.
Speaker 1: For you, guys. Ad So I read I read something today that there was a writer out there that believes that we should do away with the national anthem before sporting events. What's your thought thoughts?
Speaker 3: Go ahead, somebody?
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, go ahead, you're the doobie.
Speaker 1: Put you on the spot. Sorry.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it's kind of hard to say because sometimes they don't do it in schools. Now is this a way of life now? I mean, if they don't, I mean, I can see why people are getting mad. But we live in the United States, so I think we should do it. But if it hurts somebody, then all right, let's just cancel it all out.
Speaker 4: You know it is.
Speaker 5: I mean, it's part of our heritage. So it's been in there for millions of years. So I don't know, It's just one of those mis emotions, I believe, Fensman, what's your thoughts?
Speaker 2: Depend depends I'm struggling here because it depends on the sport. Because NASCAR does a really phenomenal job with it. Okay, Babo, Baseball only does it in the World Series and Opening day.
Speaker 3: Hockey they do it before every games TV, right.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, on TV. But hockey, you do it every night. I don't know. It's like up in the air. It's like I don't know, like I I like it, But if it's done proper, I don't know like I like it. No, But it all depends where what sport. Because of what I just said, But hockey, I guess she could don't know, and what what the Canadian that billing those? I don't know. It's just up in the air. I don't. I have no take on it because it all depends on what sport.
Speaker 1: JD your thoughts.
Speaker 3: Three things? Number one, could the national anthem be rewritten and possibly change some of the wording around? No, yes, I agree it should be. I'm not going to go into what words and what I mean, but we're talking about a song that'll be three hundred years old and fifty years so it's and fifty years old. I mean, we've got AI for everything now, just just remake it a little bit, tweak it a little bit. And then number two would be they play it before every sporting event. It's always been played before every sporting event, whether or not it's shown on TV or not. But what I mean, yeah, I mean we're Americans, right, I mean, it's what we do. We have a we have a food that's called a hamburger. Guess how much ham is in it? Not a bit. I ain't a bit of ham and a hamburger. So I mean it's we do a lot of things that don't make sense. We use a different metric system thanks to the Saturday Night Live sketch and George Washington and the comedian who says theirs is so simple. No, we're gonna do it different. We're gonna call it feet in yards. So that would be my number two, Like we we just do things differently in America. And if you don't like it, whatever, get out of here. And then I completely forgotten number three. But it doesn't matter because we've got comments and I'm sure somebody will remind me about it.
Speaker 1: So do we really do things differently? Let me ask you, guys, And I know that this is in a sport that here in the United States, we really how should I put it? Emphasize? But let's face it, have any of you ever watched World Cup soccer?
Speaker 8: I've watched a little bit, or I mean, the only soccer fans are avid like they're and you watch in a different country, they totally get into.
Speaker 1: Their what they call their national anthem, whatever that may be. I just think it's sad that we don't get into it like they do, because we should have honor and respect for our country and anybody that's here in our country, I believe should have honor and respect for the country that they're living in or visiting or whatever. I have problems with people doing our national anthem, and because I feel it's a lack of disrespect. I would not do that to if when the Canadians come down. We went up to Toronto, we were at Blue Jays baseball game. They play obviously then they were playing an American team, so they play the national anthem, and then they play the Canadian national anthem. I don't disrespect them. I won't want them disrespecting me. But do I think we should stop doing it before any sporting event. Absolutely not, because there are some traditions that I feel we need to keep true and we need to teach people to respect are some of our traditions. That's just my two cents. But I saw that article and I'm like, wait what, I'm like, We've changed so many things that I think we're losing who we are as Americans, and we forget that, we forget who bought for our country and some of that. And I think part of it also, and I'm going to say this with all due respect, is where I live. I'm from the Midwest. We wouldn't think of disrespecting anybody up there. I now live down in South Florida, and obviously there are multitudes of transplants that live down here in South Florida. Most people aren't born and raised down here in South Florida and stay here. Most of us are from different parts of the country, but also different parts of the world down here, and that's where I think we need to make sure that we keep doing this, because I think it's lack of respect for those that don't at least respect ours. I'm not saying they have to stand up. I'm not saying they have to They don't have to sing along, because not everybody can sing and not everybody should be singing. But I still think that we need to keep it, keep doing it, and it's one of those traditions that needs to keep going.
Speaker 3: On my opinion, I completely agree. And there's a couple of comments. If we could maybe go back to p digits stand tall sing as.
Speaker 2: You look at the comments.
Speaker 3: And then of course Candy, go ahead, Bensa.
Speaker 2: Do you want to keep showing it on TV? Is that the problem that you heard about? The article that they showed on TV? If you're at the game, I can understand. But do they want to remove it from showing it on TV? No?
Speaker 1: They want to just remove it period.
Speaker 2: I can see it. I can see it getting away from TV viewership. But but removing it all together. I shouldn't. It shouldn't be that way, but removing it from TV, I can see another way because they want to see the action, not the national anthem on TV?
Speaker 1: Do we really need the article? Name of the title of the article was do we really need national anthems before games? Anymore? So it had nothing to do with showing them on TV? But do we need the national anthems before games? And I think, like I said, I think it's the Canadian team we play art national anthem and theirs. It's it's respect for both teams and where they're from my personal opinion.
Speaker 2: Again, I think they should. I think they should, but not show on TV.
Speaker 3: Right, Yeah, I could hear that. Go ahead, Brian, go ahead and.
Speaker 5: I agree with her on that. I mean, we should have it, you know, totally. I mean, it's our heritage. You know, everybody else does it, so why can't we do it? We didn't even do it. If they're going to do that, then what's going to happen in the BIS in a couple of years? You know, you got the one Olympics coming up, you got the Summer Olympics. You know, what are they gonna do to stand there and go?
Speaker 2: That's definitely a short that I got something for everybody later on. I gotta show this later. It's a St. John's and Omaha game. I'll show it later. I'll fight. I'll definitely find it. Oh man, what game Saint Johnson? Omaha?
Speaker 3: Okay, God, I thought you talked about hockey for a minute.
Speaker 2: That went no, no, no, no, we're talking about March Madness. It's a it's I don't I don't pay a touch of the hockey.
Speaker 3: Okay, well that's goods.
Speaker 2: My team's down here, not up here.
Speaker 1: Okay, guys, let's let's let's talk a little NFL free agency.
Speaker 2: Let's do that.
Speaker 1: There's still a couple of quarterbacks out there without Combs. Do we think they're going to get homes or do we think they're going to be sitting at home?
Speaker 2: I'll go first, go ahead, Okay, Okay.
Speaker 5: My thing is, I've been listening to a lot of these people analyzing everything, my really tradition. I think they're just waiting on Aaron Rodgers because have we seen a first round pick go into Usually would see a first round pick right about now, you know, a team going, oh, I want your first round pick. We haven't seen that yet. So are we really waiting on Aaron Rodgers or is this everybody this hunker down. We're not going to say anything until whenever, you know. But it's just it's a mess right now. The whole entire quarterback convert. Nobody knows what they want to do, you know, and it's it depends.
Speaker 1: I think it was interesting that we've seen a lot of one of the what I would say, second tier or backup quarterbacks land before some of the first tier quarterbacks. JD.
Speaker 3: Your thoughts, well, speaking to what you just said about the backups getting signed first, I think that a lot of them, a lot of teams are trying to find their next Baker Mayfield, Sam Darnold. These guys who went to a terrible situation as a rookie and then found themselves in a better situation and were able to succeed and thrive. And so yeah, it's very interesting when you talk about someone like Mason Rudolph who signed before Aaron Rodgers, and y'all know my thoughts on this, dude, I've told you before, Aaron Rodgers. Hey, bro, you got a seat on Southern Fried Sports. Anytime you want to come, you can come be my co host. Aaron Rodgers. Okay, right here. I'm not gonna pay you a million dollars like Pat McAfee is going to do, but you're more than welcome to come spew any nonsense that you want to spew. Aaron Rodgers. I think teams and players, even if he does sign with the Giants or the Steelers and Pensman, I'm sure you're itching. I see you. Listen. We just heard Cam Hayward the other day. He doesn't need a darkness retreat. He doesn't need a recruiting pitch. If you want to come play for the Steelers, come play for him. What are we waiting on? Get the deal done? Stop it with your nonsense, dragging it out. Oh like, Aaron Rodgers has got to be the biggest drama queen I've ever seen in my life. Like, seriously, I've never seen anyone more attention hungry than Aaron Rodgers. So yeah, we've got Sam Darnold, all these other free agent quarterbacks and everything. Really interesting to see what's these teams doing the draft. But Aaron Rodgers, man, you're a joke. Your joke.
Speaker 1: Ensman, your thoughts.
Speaker 2: All right, there is I've been looking at this. There it's eighty five percent chance Wilson returns to the Steelers. Mason is a good pickup because he matured more than he did in his first run. So do not pay attention to the Mason Rudolph that lost to the Detroit Lions and the sloppy game. So do not pay attention to that Mason Rolf because he's matured into a better caliber football player than what we did. So, Eddie, I hope that answers your questions. Aaron Rodgers, you're forty one years old. You got out of the dark room. Make a decision. Listen to Kame Heyward. If you don't listen to them, and if you do, make a decision, Came Heyward we'll get you in practice if you do sign, because you wasted our time. So that's why I wanted to tell Eddie. So that's what's going on.
Speaker 3: Bang bang bang bang.
Speaker 1: All I can say is I'm glad that my team isn't waiting for Aaron Rodgers' decision. We've been there, we've done that, we moved on, and that's what I'm glad we did. Whether he has good years left in him or not remains to be seen, and whether he'll get it. I'll be honest with you. What I'm going to say is he could have some good years ahead of him, but he needs the very right fit. He needs a very good offensive line to protect for him, and then he needs a good running back so that there is a compliment to his game. Because yes, he can still throw the ball, without a doubt, he can still throw the ball, But does he have the mobility that he once did, have everything that he once did. No, let's face it. The only thing I could say about him at this point is his knowledge is better, but his body. Let's face it. As we all age, there's things we can do and things that we can't do the same don't cover the same.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you said it, Candy, I can't even do things anymore. The cold hates me right well.
Speaker 3: And hey, Candy, may I ask you this?
Speaker 2: Sure?
Speaker 3: So Tom Brady he played well into his forties.
Speaker 2: He conditioned himself better.
Speaker 3: Exactly what my question was about to be defending precisely that do we really believe for one moment that Aaron Rodgers is in near the shape that Tom Brady was? I mean, let's be honest. Aaron Rodgers is forty. I'm a man, I'm forty one. I mean he's yeah, that was old van Gundy. But do we really believe though that Aaron Rodgers could I just don't think he has that Tom Brady level. I mean, what about Lebron James at forty? I mean, do we really think Aaron Rodgers is in near the shape of either of these guys going to Egypt and riding on camels and going to darkness retreats? I mean, what, Bro, if you want to go to jail, just go rob a bank like baby who puts themselves in jail, come one?
Speaker 1: But who wants to go out on a Hall of Fame career like he did? And that's probably the only thing that brings him back that, honestly to me, is what I think would bring him back. But the one thing I will say, Brady moved from a up North team to a South team, a team that plays more in the warmth and is easier for your body to recover in things as opposed to playing up in the brutal cold of New York or Green Bay. So do we think Rogers would go to Minnesota? No, come on, Giant Giants again, those are all really cold teams. You play half your games in the cold? Is that something? That's not what Brady did. Brady moved down and played for Tampa Bay, a team that plays in a lot better weather for half their games.
Speaker 2: That has to be Pittsburgh is very Pittsburgh is just as cold as New York. Though, So if he gets hit and slammed around in the ground, you must well go to the don't take this offensive, JD. Must both go to Carolina and play from much there.
Speaker 3: Honestly, I thought you were gonna say, you might as well just go down to Florida. Well that's what that's what everybody else from the North does. Anyway, They just go down to Florida, right, can he?
Speaker 1: It depends on so it depends. So Brady made the wrong move. I'll be honest with you. Normally, people that live on I ninety five stay on the ninety five south side of Florida and people that live in the Midwest go down the seventy five side of Florida. So Brady should have played for either Jacksonville or Miami, but he he jumped chips on the other side of the state. So I don't see Rogers in Miami, I don't see him in Jacksonville, and I don't see him in Tampa Vice.
Speaker 2: Since Eddie's still here, I got a couple things I want to talk to Eddie about. That's not it. But Mason did have good moments as a Pittsburgh Steeler did have good moments. He did take us to a three, four or five whatever game it was into the playoffs. Had lost. That's our thing. We're losing the first round. But Mason Rudolf did have that little stretch and get us there. Another thing is Aaron Rodgers is forty one years old. Why is the Pittsburgh Steelers concentrating on old people. We need to work younger and that way we can get a quarterback for twenty years or eighteen years or whatever. Aaron Rodgers is only gonna sign a one or two year deal, go out in the sunset. We don't need that. We just got done with Russell Wilson. He did not do good the last five weeks. We just got to get young.
Speaker 1: Is Tomlin the coach that's gonna coach a young guy and bring him up? Does he have the time to bring a young quarterback up? Or is his time in Pittsburgh numbered because he hasn't done well in the playoffs and therefore they need to bring in somebody that's proven already.
Speaker 3: Right, I agree completely. And here's the one thing I'll say. This is where you start getting really into the critical thinking of sports decisions, Because wasn't the whole plan for Russell Wilson to be a bridge quarterback to Justin Fields. Wasn't that to me? Like, if you're signing an old guy like we're talking about Aaron Rodgers. Yeah, the vikings to Eddie's point maybe would have made sense.
Speaker 2: You agree, You guys are forgetting about the injury of Russell Wilson. Though Russell Wilson was posted, but Russell Wilson got injured in preseason. That's what he started. Yeah.
Speaker 3: Well here's another thing too. I've heard that Justin Fields has some kind of epilepsy medicine that he got put on, and it slows down his ability to make plays and decisions in the pocket because of this epilepsy medicine he's on. So I mean, but that's where I like I was saying, though, it's whole critical thinking that Like, to me, it's fans when you want us to pay billions of dollars for a stadium, like we've talked about, when you start having people in taxpayers, I think it's perfectly okay to question the plan of what these teams are. And I think Pittsburgh absolutely missed their plan here with Russell, Like Russell Wilson for a year, Justin Fields is supposed to be your starter this year? Yeah, he started six games. Last year, he started numerous games for the Bears. Didn't I just mention these third year, fourth year quarterbacks who had a terrible start out place like Justin Fields with the Bears, and then all of a sudden they turn into gold Like I think the Steelers just made a critical error in their critical planning for their future.
Speaker 5: Brian thoughts, My thoughts hmmmmm, Yeah, I just saw that. Yeah, it's gotten confusing about what I was just trying to look up, you know, some of the things on Aaron Rodgers.
Speaker 4: But it is what it is.
Speaker 5: You know, if he goes there, it's gonna be a whirlwind. It depends on where he wants to go. And my thing is, can Aaron Rodgers actually help a new quarterback or is he going to be stuck in his fine ways? I don't want to really, it's my way of doing it. Is gonna run over the team like he did last year for the Jets.
Speaker 4: Is he going to be that.
Speaker 3: He wouldn't do it. That's that's the whole other issue.
Speaker 1: I mean, he he has said before that that's not his job exactly.
Speaker 2: Eddie's the man. I'll tell you Eddie's because it's another quarterback. I've been talking about the court for Oh how well the court is the ben Eddie. You're awesome, dude, I'm telling you.
Speaker 3: Yeah. I was about to comment Eddie I think might be one of the smartest commentators that we have. I mean, he because he even he nailed it there he said bring back Wilson or draft Jackson dark Honestly, I thought the Steelers already had Russell Wilson this year.
Speaker 2: I thought that he's still on the roster, but they give him permission. Don't know why to go to another team. That's why he had interviews with Cleveland and New York last week.
Speaker 5: Hey, Jeddy, who's that quarterback that they were talking Did you listen to the Rich Heisman Show today?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 5: Who was that quarterback that they've been talking about? Goof the one that was, Oh goodness that they interviewed the other day that they would take. I would look out for that guy for being a quarterback in the first or second round.
Speaker 3: About Jackson Dirt, No, No, I missed that part of the show.
Speaker 5: No, there's a quarterback that's in the draft that saying that he's actually pretty good guy. Oh draft, But I can't think of his name.
Speaker 3: Now, Why don't you say you've got cam words to door, Jackson Dark, Kyle McCord. I mean, who else? Who else do we have? Can't?
Speaker 1: I mean those are the ones that I would think. I mean, uh.
Speaker 3: Me, I'm not I'm not doing I'm not doing it. If I'm an NFL team, I'm just I'm not. We see way too many number one picks fall flat on their face, like I'd rather take a guy in the second third round, let him sit for two or three years. I mean, everybody forgets Patrick Mahomes sat for a year. Everybody forgets that he didn't just come in and light the league on fire. He was a second string quarterback for a full year. Jordan Love, I mean, how often do we.
Speaker 2: Give quarterback in Louisville? But that's very talented. But Inrey Pohne is that the Is that the guy Brian what's his name?
Speaker 4: Now?
Speaker 2: I don't know. It's some quarterback from Louisville.
Speaker 3: Told on I can tell you then.
Speaker 4: Because I can't think of it.
Speaker 1: There's Sanders. They say Jackson Dart, Then they say Jalen Milroe, Will Howard.
Speaker 2: Oh, by the way, Jalen Jalen Milroy did go up on a Tom took Milroy to her. We might be drafting him. My mind is drawing a blank, says Eddie.
Speaker 3: I'm not taking a left handed quarterback though, either.
Speaker 2: What do you have against Vic? Vic had good numbers.
Speaker 3: I didn't have nothing against Vic. I just said I'm not taking a left handed quarterback. We all saw Shane Falco and replacements. Man he he was a left handed quarterback. He wasn't any good.
Speaker 2: There's nothing wrong with left handed quarterbacks because they can confuse you too. Don't look at me like that.
Speaker 3: Boy. There is one good left handed quarterback that I can think of off the top of my head, Steve Yo. Michael Vick. Okay, Michael. But Michael Vick wasn't a passer, so the fact that he threw with his left arm really doesn't mean anything.
Speaker 6: He ran with I'm not an Eagles fan, but to Sean Jackson, he was a wire. Eddy Eddie, I did you Tyler?
Speaker 3: Eddy?
Speaker 2: Tyler helped me out here.
Speaker 5: It might have beens, it might be yeah, that's Sam Tyler or something.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 1: He actually began his college career at the Oregon Ducks from twenty eighteen to twenty and then he transferred to Texas Tech where he played twenty one to twenty three. And he's with Louisville right now, twenty four Eagles fan.
Speaker 2: But he had all those memories in there, and he went to Pittsburgh and he had and he won huge games against them too. You're thinking of the Lanta because you're your Southern boys, so you're thinking of the Land of Michael Vick. You can't think of the land of Michael Vick. You gotta think of the the Northern Michael Vick, not the Southern Michael Vick.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Well, the only difference was the Southern Michael Vick fought a bunch of bulldogs.
Speaker 2: But we're not talking about that. We're talking about his throwing.
Speaker 4: I know you don't have arm.
Speaker 3: He think rookie he threw better for the Eagles, and yet I mean, dude could hum the football.
Speaker 2: He doesn't have any in Atlanta.
Speaker 3: But what I'm saying, though, is you don't ever think of Michael Vick and his arm talent. That's what I mean about left handed throwing quarterbacks.
Speaker 5: You think about the run. When he's on the run. Yeah, he can run and then he can throw on the past what he needed to.
Speaker 4: But he does.
Speaker 5: He did have an accurate arm. What I saw when he was down here in Atlanta.
Speaker 3: He's fired Tyler Tyler's show, by the way, or how do you pronounce that, candy? How do you pronounce that?
Speaker 1: I think it was shuck because I think I saw the pronunciation. It was like shuck, it's s h u c k is how.
Speaker 3: It's Yeah, he's sixty five twenty five.
Speaker 2: Though I'm not talking about football. I'm not talking fumbles, I'm not talking about the run. I'm talking about the philosophy of the ball in the air. And that's what I think. That's where Gd's going. He had a perfect dart to every wide receiver he threw to. If the wide receiver was open, was there short windows probably could have made it better.
Speaker 1: Okay, guys, I think it's time to go to my town. So, Brian, I don't know if.
Speaker 3: You know the station you go into a station break.
Speaker 1: Okay, I'll do a quick station break. My town means you talk about something that's happening in your town or either the town you live in now or the town you're from. So I'm going to do a station break first. South Florida Tribune Publishing Company published a book called Lessons from the Microphone, Tuning into the Entering Wisdom of Visionary Leaders. It is written by our my husband, who normally hosts most of the shows on this network, but not this one. This one's mine. His name is Scott Morgan Roth. He wrote it. It talks about his forty plus years in the media industry and how it has changed over the time. It's available on Amazon, Barnes and Noble, Kiddel, Google and Apple Books. There's also a link on our website www dot self Floridatribune dot com where you can there's a link to our merchandise store as well as a plethora of great content a couple good pictures if I do say so myself. And then if you'd like to listen to podcasts, you can find us wherever you get your podcast. Monday nights we talk baseball, Tuesday nights we talked football Wednesday and Thursday nights. You never know what we're be talking about, although preceding this with a sports exchange where we always talk hockey. Then if you want to advertise, you can call my husband Scott nine five four three oh four four nine one. If you want to be a guest on the show, just email us at self Florida Tribune at gmail dot com. Okay, guys, my town Pensman, what's happening in your town?
Speaker 2: The Penglish still stink, sir. They can't win any games consistency since Christmas time, and Christmas time is one day's post to turner season route. So this year they had a nice little run. They had a four game winning streak. Let's give it a close for them. They actually won four street Tristan Jarry actually came out played in the net. He actually beat Seas. But Pittsburgh fans, I tell it how it is, they ain't gonna make the playoffs.
Speaker 1: Okay, JD, what's happening in your tone? Uh?
Speaker 3: My town? Uh So, I'm a Gamecock fan, as you guys know, I'm actually more of a Gamecog baseball fan though that I am football at. I literally try to watch every single game, every single play. And guys, anybody that says that Paul Menary should already be fired as the head coach of the Game Cocks is absolutely out of their mind. Okay, he inherited a dumpster fire from Paulmonary. And yes, they had an Oklahoma rubber match. They lost, they went to extra innings, they played well. But at this point, just let's give Paulmonary a year, y'all. Well, can we not be ridiculous for once as sports fans? So everybody in Columbia, South Carolina, cool out. Everybody in Clemson fire Brad Brownell. See if there's any way that you can get out of that contract extension that you just signed them to go. Will Wade go McNeese State, y'all be blessed.
Speaker 5: Okay, what's happening in my town? Yes, Somempson's dying down here in Clemson. That's where it is. Clemson's dying. That's what it is. I already got sons on three eighty five already says fire Brunnel. So that's gonna happen. That's what's happened in my town. And there's morehouses being built where I'm located at.
Speaker 1: Okay, so my town, we all know I'm kind.
Speaker 3: Of from Sorry, that's okay.
Speaker 1: So the Badgers, the Badgers and Marquette are both in March Madness in its NC two A tournament. Good luck to them.
Speaker 4: Good Luck to.
Speaker 1: University of South Florida women's basketball team who were in the NC two A. But the number one that I'm going to wish good luck to and I'm hoping they don't need it, but I'm gonna say good luck is to Wisconsin women's hockey. They are in the final Frozen Four this weekend. Yeah, this is their sixteenth time in the last nineteen years that they are in the Frozen Four. They are boasting by far the highest scoring team in the country and the artists to score against. All three of the finalists for Player of the Year the Patsy Cosmier Award are all Wisconsin Badgers. So a Wisconsin Badger is gonna win that award, and their coach is doing awesome things. And if you don't know anything about their coach, their coach is Mark Johnson, who was in his twenty second year at his alma mater. He helped win the nineteen seventy seven national championship in men's hockey before playing for the Miracle on Ice team for the US at the nineteen to eighty Lake Placid Olympics. So good luck to them. They play tomorrow night and then the winner of that plays in the championship game on Sunday. So good luck to Wisconsin women's hockey.
Speaker 3: Absolutely well. One thing, Candy, I just I commented here in the stream about it. I barely knew that there was men's high much less women's. But yeah, hey, shout out to the women's game Cocks team as well. Going for it, chuck, he says fire Paul, Now I know Gamecock Chuck. He does a lot of live streams about women's basketball and everything and.
Speaker 2: Fire Paul, now, fire you know what?
Speaker 3: Hey, fire everybody on fire up. We don't care.
Speaker 1: Yes, yes, Okay. With that being said, I'm gonna say thank you guys for talking sports with me tonight. But I want you guys to go. I'll go around and tell everybody how they can find you, how they can support you, because you guys are giving your time to usten our platform and we want people to reciprocate it. So, Brian, how can people find you?
Speaker 5: You can find me on X at b pettit at thirty four, or you can go and I'm on multiple platforms doing some other stuff. You can find me on the Honestly app at Tiger Stripes Media and that's where all the other ones are too. So iHeartRadio, Google play all that for my podcast.
Speaker 1: Okay, JD? How that can people find you?
Speaker 3: You can find me at Southern Fried Sports JD on YouTube. I am the Southern Fried Gentleman of Southern Fried Sports. We will cook you up, we will fry you. We don't care what your feelings are, you know, we just try to be real honest and give you a good opinion. Shout out to Brian and Pensman two very well respected colleagues that I enjoy coming on here with. And Candy you as well, that's very amazing. I don't, man, I don't whatever. I don't care what they say about you, Candy either, You're amazing. You have great sports takes. I appreciate you guys having me on. We have Michigan. It doesn't look like this twelve five upsets gonna happen. You see, San Diego is down ten with ten to go in the first half, actually down twelve. Now that's the thing about basketball, man, You try to give a score update and it can change fan yep, like that football. Football is boring.
Speaker 1: People get hold of you.
Speaker 2: Well, I don't know what JD's drinking down there, but saying football is boring.
Speaker 3: But I don't.
Speaker 2: But I know, I know, I get you. But whatever you're having, share it. So you can find me on Excel, Pensman Sports. You can find me on YouTube at Pensman Sports. And I want Saint John's to play defense right now because they are Omaha is barely hanging on right now because Saint John's is not playing defense for some reason, and Rick Pnito is a defensive coach. So I don't know what Saint John's is thinking right now. So that's how you can find me and Eddie. If you're still on here, I need you to subscribe to my channel. Brother you are, your comments are right on point, and you'll be perfect on so my shoes.
Speaker 1: Yes, yes, again. This is a South Order tribute YouTube channel. One last place you can find me Tuesday night, seven thirty Eastern on the Chicks podcast Three Chicks and a Pod or Chicks and Salsa, But otherwise you can find me here. I normally produce most of the shows except for Fire Up is Mine, but again, Monday nights we talk baseball, Tuesday nights we talk football, Wednesday and Thursday nights Sports Exchange and Fire Up. You just never know what we're gonna be talking about. Like we've talked about we have talked about pickleball, we have talked about bowling, We've talked about a lot of different things that you always have to tune in to find out what we're gonna be talking about. But please subscribe to everybody and follow them and help them out because that's what we're all about, is going all together. So with that, everybody enjoy March Madness. Let's see what other opsets there are out there? Just enjoy?
Speaker 3: Okay, and can we play the national anthem before our next show?
Speaker 1: Ooh, there's a thought and that might be copyright I don't know. That might be copyrighted that we might have a problem with on YouTube. You know, YouTube's got that funny little you know thing going.
Speaker 3: But we can just play as long as it's not over fifteen seconds. We'll just have to like break it out in clips or if we say it, they hey, they cannot copyright us, baby, you can't copyright our.
Speaker 7: Opinions, right, that's right.
Speaker 2: Next Thursday night at nine o'clock, JD's gonna start us off and sing it.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: All right, well I'll tell you what I know the very first word, and his name is Hoosey. And you see.
Speaker 1: With that, everybody, have a great week. We'll see you next week.
Speaker 7: Thanks guys, all right, good night, bye bye,