Speaker 1: Welcome, dear listener, and thanks for joining us.
Speaker 2: And I'm Stephen and this is a podcast all about the weird and wonderful world of the dark comedy anthology series Inside number nine.
Speaker 1: On each episode, we'll be diving into another one of Steve Pemberton and Reese Sheresmith's twisted tales, putting it under a lens and examining it within an inch of its life.
Speaker 2: So make yourself comfortable, grab a cup of tea and join us for the ninth degree. Hello, Hello, Hello, welcome back to a new series.
Speaker 1: Indeed, how are you? Yeah, I'm all right, replies Christmas. Yeah, it's a thing, isn't it that we do?
Speaker 2: I saw some comedians say that it should be like the Olympics and every four years and ideally hosted a different country. I completely agree.
Speaker 1: With Yeah, I could get on board with that.
Speaker 2: Yeah it was yours, Okay, Yeah it was fine. Yeah it was good.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Of course when people hear this at Christmas will be a long distant memory. January lasts about six months. But yeah, we hope you've missed us, dear listener, and we're back. We are series five, Series five. This is the halfway point, really, the mid series.
Speaker 2: Yeah, next episode is exactly halfway when we consider that Stage Fright was two.
Speaker 1: So yeah, okay, you've done the maths.
Speaker 2: I think I have.
Speaker 1: Yeah, should we reveal our hair from Stage Fright?
Speaker 2: Oh?
Speaker 1: Yes, because we weren't planning necessarily for it to be split into two, and then we decided to.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: So there's one hair that was somewhere in either part one or part.
Speaker 2: Two, indeed, and it was kidnapp It was so the concept of this section is they have to kidnap someone and bring them to this safe house.
Speaker 1: Quite an easy one to get in there. Yeah, in fact, so easy that I wouldn't be surprised if not many people got that.
Speaker 2: Too obvious.
Speaker 1: I would you remember I was saying, you know, do we need do we need to say kid slash nap?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: How you're going to pronounce it because otherwise, you know, but yeah, we've.
Speaker 2: Already got difficult enough ones to squeeze in complicate the easy ones.
Speaker 1: Yeah. AnyWho, So that was that. That was Stage Fright. It was fun doing that for un covering that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I really enjoyed it. I hope you did two listeners.
Speaker 1: But we're back onto the TV show now. The cannon for.
Speaker 2: Series five, episode one. The referees a wanka he is he is? So I'll give this summary on the wiki. The beautiful Game, the crush clash between United and Rovers in the last match of the season, all safely in the care of the four match officials, a tailor, promotion, relegation, corruption, and so so much more. Wow, football, eh? Are you a football fan?
Speaker 1: Have a guess? Yeah? I love it. I love it running around from one end of a pitch to another. Yeah, it's funny kicking a ball around. Yeah.
Speaker 2: I was going to pretend that I'm a massive football fan, but I don't think I could even hold the joke up.
Speaker 1: No, I don't think so the sentence.
Speaker 2: No, my parents are and my grandparents are, and it's yeah, I feel like the odd one out when they're talking.
Speaker 1: Yeah, my mum is a massive Arsenal fan.
Speaker 2: Oh really, So I do get.
Speaker 1: The whole like because Arsenal have a big rivalry with Tottenham Hotspur, so I get the you know, the whole rivalry thing. Yep, people take it so seriously, really really do. Yeah.
Speaker 2: The thing that always surprises me about football people is how much they can talk about it. Like my mum will be watching some game or other and it won't be starting for another half hour, but there'll already be people on talking about it. Oh yeah, well nothing's happened, but they'll still manage to talk for an hour, half an hour whatever, yes, and say nothing but just keep going. And I'm like, how are you doing this?
Speaker 1: I know? But having said that, we do talk about a half hour of TV for an hour each week, so you know, yeah, I know what you mean. But yeah, I suppose if you're in, if you're into it and you get the nuance, then there's stuff to talk about. But for those like us, like it just goes right over my head.
Speaker 2: I guess it's their memory as well that amazes me. So you like being a pub quiz and obviously I hate the football round. Yeah, but there'll be a question on like I don't know who won the nineteen seventy six such and such Cup, and the guy will be there going, oh it was this team, it was three to one, it was rainy. Yeah, they'll know everything.
Speaker 1: It's like, how yeah, but I get I don't get it for myself, but I do. I do understand it because I'd be the same with doctor who, like I guess you know you're not Gonnam know. Maybe people do go back and rewatch old matches. I don't know. Oh yeah yeah, if you you know, I have that kind of level of fandom about Doctor Who. I can understand someone having that kind of obsession with football, but it does seem so bizarre, do isn't it?
Speaker 2: But when you consider that there's a game, well many games every week, and they seem to remember every single one of them, stretching back to when they were like six, there's a lot of Doctor Who. But I don't think there's not that many true.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, just trying to watch this and trying to make notes about it and stuff like, I just kept feeling like the the it crowd thing. I know, Yeah, Grahamlin hands a dick, But yeah, I do love that that bit the whole you know, did you see that ludicrous slid last night?
Speaker 2: Yeah? The problem with whatever? They always walk it in.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, that's it. And there's a bit where they actually go to a match and Moss is just like, oh, look he's kicked the ball. What an interesting development. That's me. When I'm sitting with my mum and she's watching football, I.
Speaker 2: Feel like we should apologize to any actual football fans out.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we do apologize. Yeah. I was wondering this, what is the what is the crossover between Inside Number nine fans and football fans? I can't remember, and.
Speaker 2: It's huge, but I can't imagine it's huge, But.
Speaker 1: You never know. No, Obviously, Steve is a big football fan, but reason isn't. No, so he I feel like he kind of represents us in like someone who's completely outside of that world, and yet he still enjoyed making it and all that, you know, for the drama of it and the story. I can sort of understand that, but I still find it hard to get enthusiastic about it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, this is weird for me. I was fully going into this expecting to slate this episode. I've only ever seen it once. When it aired, I remember being very disappointed, probably just because it was football, But I've gone back and rewatched it twice to day. I actually quite enjoyed it. M M. I thought it was all right. I don't think it's amazing, no, but I did actually quite enjoy it, which I wasn't expecting to.
Speaker 1: I agree, really, I like the comedy of it, and I like some of the drama.
Speaker 2: Of it quite high stakes, and.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think on a first watch, like you say, like on a first watch, I was so sort of the my new shy of the football and stuff went way over my head and so I didn't really understand the plot and the resolution. Right, Whereas having read up on it a bit and watched it again and sort of tried to concentrate a bit more, I understand what's going on. But it's Yeah, it's not bad.
Speaker 2: No, I don't think it's bad at all. Yeah, it's not my favorite, but I was fully expecting to hate it a lot more from what I remembered from years ago.
Speaker 1: Yeah. So it's taking place around a football match between teams called United and Rovers. Yeah, very conveniently vague.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah. I even looked on his little badge because you can see the captain like you get a close put his badge it just as Rovers AFC. Yeah. I'm not even going to say the name of the town or city.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, I think that's quite wise really, not to get politics involved for football.
Speaker 2: It could be anyone. Yeah, speaking of which, I don't know if you noticed this when you watch player, did you get a little content warning thing pop up at the start, well, not contact.
Speaker 1: Like to say it had been edited.
Speaker 2: Yes, yeah, I don't know what's been changed.
Speaker 1: So I researched this. Oh, okay, apparently they name dropped a real referee called Barry Crop okay in the original episode, and then this Barry Crop objected to being name dropped, so they redubbed it to Gary Robb right, And apparently it's a line that Ree says. But having watched it a couple of times, I couldn't find that.
Speaker 2: Oh is he the one that put up the wrong amount of extra time? Oh? It might be, yes, and they had to play for fifty six minutes or something extra time might be because I did google that as it happened, wondering if that was a real thing. Oh yeah, and it came up with nothing, so I guessed it was made up. Yeah, but yeah, if they've changed the name, maybe it did happen, yeah, or something similar.
Speaker 1: But yeah. So we've got this three act structure pre match, halftime and then post match, which is quite good again, very theatrical.
Speaker 2: And it gives you a window of what's happened, and like you've got a piece together what's going on in these gaps.
Speaker 1: It's quite cool. Yeah, it's like those kind of stories that take place in the wings of what's going on. Yeah, like the main action is happening outside, but we're just seeing the little snapshots sort of on the sidelines.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but like the understudy, I guess, yeah, very much like that. Actually, yeah, just a different type of changing room. M So we've got David Morrissey in this episode, yes, referee martin perfectly cast hmmm, oh yeah, it looks like such a football person.
Speaker 1: He does. He's so good and he's so like good for this like stick up your ass kind of well, you know, you know, he's so by the book, he's so you know, his face is so surly.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah, he's really good and how fastidious he is about everything and there with his little watchers and making sure everyone's the second.
Speaker 1: But you can also believe him as a dedicated football fan as well.
Speaker 2: It must be tricky in these things, like when you've got a referee, Like, if you're a referee, you're going to be a football fan, and therefore you're going to have a favorite team and teams you don't like, and keeping that all separate.
Speaker 1: Yeah, definitely.
Speaker 2: Obviously you're never going to referee for a team that you.
Speaker 1: Support, no, but but as we can see in this episode, it all has domino effects.
Speaker 2: Still can effect them. Yeah. Like I remember one of my secondary school Pea teachers left to become a referee in the Premiership and it was a year of a World Cup and he was all qualifiers or whatever, I don't know, and he was one of the few people that was hoping that England would get kicked out because then it might give him a chance to referee in a final. But I think that had been he wouldn't have been allowed to.
Speaker 1: Quite important that this is his last game before retirement. It's a big deal for him.
Speaker 2: And also looking like they should be retiring. Poor old Reese looks old this week. Geez the makeup to you have gone to Town?
Speaker 1: Yeah, is that a wig? Must be?
Speaker 2: I hope so?
Speaker 1: Or I'm like, what have they done to his hair? Because yeah, yeah, I love Brendan is the best character in it.
Speaker 2: I think it is, even if he's I feel like he's doing his witch Hinder voice again.
Speaker 1: Slightly, yes, but he's just such a little nerd like I love him in the sam seial.
Speaker 2: Which which I looked up is the inter Milan Ac Milan Home.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I was going to say, I had to google. I can't expect me to know what that is. I like how it's it's revealed later on after he's been banging on about his career there that he was a backup referee for one match of like kids playing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's probably a Tuesday night no one went to.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and you didn't even get on the pitch. He was just there, you know. And yeah, it's it's his limelight of his life. Like but I like that when he gets called out about that and he's just response is just envy. It's nothing, but it's own art. He's a great character, funny little man. And he looks so small, doesn't he compared to all the others in this I didn't think Reese was that small.
Speaker 2: Yeah, really mousey and yeah, but yeah, it's probably one of the smallest sets they have as well, m m, well, other than maybe Lucky Chet I suppose. Yeah, but yeah, they're all just packed in this one little, tiny changing room.
Speaker 1: Yeah. They did a great job with the set. Apparently they did build it. It's not an actual changing room.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Well, they went around trying to get changing rooms, but they were all too tiny and it just wouldn't work, so they ended up having to build one. Yeah, the set dress is like, how grimy it looks. They've done a fantastic job with it. And I was watching at the end when they're sat in front of recent Fever talking and in front of tiles and they're like, there's mold in the monks, all the grout lines, like they've really spent some time. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Also, we haven't talked about Mitch.
Speaker 2: Mitch the indeterminate animal.
Speaker 1: What would you say is well, he's obviously erodent of some sort.
Speaker 2: I think, Yeah, I assumed a gopher.
Speaker 1: Yes, although what that's got to do with no idea. Gophers aren't even English, are they.
Speaker 2: No, that's what he looks like to me.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean I probably would have said a beaver, but he doesn't have a big tail.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that would be the next one.
Speaker 1: Who knows. But yeah, we've got Steve Spears playing Mitch. I feel like he's he's the same and everything.
Speaker 2: He's just angry, shouty man, isn't he.
Speaker 1: Yes, the gruff Welsh accent.
Speaker 2: We haven't pointed out the fact that, other than the team captain, everyone's been in doctor him. This week.
Speaker 1: I was gonna say, is there a single person apart from him.
Speaker 2: From the captain?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Is there?
Speaker 2: No? Obviously, David Morrissey has as Jackson Lake. I can't what bears his name was, but he was one of the Sillotheen, wasn't he?
Speaker 1: He was the Yea, the policeman, Missus.
Speaker 2: Tyler obviously, reason Steve.
Speaker 1: And Smile, wasn't he?
Speaker 2: Yes?
Speaker 1: I mean you've just brought up Ralph Little, so should we open up that can of worms?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: I say can of worms, just because I had to really try not to make all my notes about Ralph Little in a towel.
Speaker 2: I don't know that might be on your note list.
Speaker 1: You can't blame me, No.
Speaker 2: No, here's good. You can see the Obviously he's wanting to milk this game for everything it's worth, try and get, isn't it? Get into sky and all thoughts.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he's very ambitious, clearly, but not in an underhand way like some of them.
Speaker 2: No. Yeah, I think the thing I didn't really remember about this episode as much was how funny it is. Yeah, because if it had just been a straight football thing and it wasn't a comedy as well, I think it would have been a lot less interesting.
Speaker 1: Oh from my point of view, Yeah, this.
Speaker 2: Is one where they really have to lean into the comedy, I think to make it work.
Speaker 1: From what I've heard, there's so many references that if you really know football.
Speaker 2: You would get probably lands quite well.
Speaker 1: Yeah, lines and things that apparently are famous things that have been said by football people.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: So the stakes If United win, apparently they'll get one hundred and fifty million pounds because they'll get promoted to the Premier League or whatever it is. Yeah, and if Rovers win then they will avoid falling down into oblivion and relegation. Yeah, so it's important for both of them.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and it is important, like genuinely will be game changing for these teams. My mum's Middlesbrough fan and they're currently in this same position. If they don't fuck up terribly, they'll get promoted, hopefully to the Premiership. So she's currently very excited. But I fully expect it what happened, because it never does and they always just give up in the last couple of months. But yeah, these people will get very obsessed about this kind of thing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there's a whole thing of Oh, Brendan's been in the toilet and made a smell, yes, which I hate toilet humor, but I did really like the joke when he's getting changed and he says, are those city pants, Brendon? Yeah, no clean up this morning? That did amuse me.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there are some great little bits of wordplay.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Also, so it's really it's really important for like little seeds of what happens later on. It's establishing that they're both city fans exactly.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and we've also got Oggie comes in, who's just he just seems very lax about everything, completely opposite to Martin.
Speaker 2: As long as he's got access to any machine, he's happy. Yeah, he's into his betting and presumably has been told off for this before Martin gets very angry and shouty and sends them all out effectively as the captain turns.
Speaker 1: Up mm hmm, Calvin Cook, yes, and.
Speaker 2: We get possibly the most lackluster kiss I've ever seen on TV. Yeah, like they could have at least tried to make this look believable.
Speaker 1: They tried, they tried straight men, Yeah, presumably. Yeah, I'm assuming it's intentional, but when you consider that Calvin is number nine and you know, inside number nine.
Speaker 2: Yeah, here is the nine we are inside this.
Speaker 1: Week, Well someone's inside him anyway. Well but yeah, so it turns out that they've been having a secret love affair. Indeed, I don't know if it's love from Calvin's point of view, or if it's more that's what Martin is pushing on him.
Speaker 2: Yeah, obviously we don't get much given about this relationship, but I get the impression that Calvin's just doing it hoping that ill, you know, if he gets in good with the referee, exactly kind of thing.
Speaker 1: He says, I love you, and then they get interrupted before there can be any further response. But Calvin does look a bit shocked and like a bit like he doesn't really know. Wasn't expecting that.
Speaker 2: One doesn't want to reply, Yeah exactly. Yeah, yeah, this is the only bit really remembered about the plot from the first watch, and I didn't remember it happening so early into the episode. I remember it being more of a twist at the end. So it's quite cool, and they do have twists early on. Yeah, yeah, hangover the plot for the rest of the episode.
Speaker 1: And you know there's something more coming.
Speaker 2: They must be m and obviously it is a big deal. In football, there's like no out players. Was just in fashion who came out, but that was quite a while ago, like nineteen ninety, and that did not go well, and like, I think it pretty much ruined his life. I remember, I think he committed suicide over it. So it's a big deal. I mean, I know it might not seem it towards as modern day like liberal people, but yeah, the football world is not that.
Speaker 1: No, it is full of a lot of that kind of very backward, hyper masculine, toxic masculinity.
Speaker 2: I think I feel very safe at a football game.
Speaker 1: Oh no, not at all.
Speaker 2: It's all very angry, yelly, screamy people.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I like this. It's incredible. It's incredibly crazy that we are in the twenty twenties and there hasn't there There aren't, you know, openly gay Premier league players.
Speaker 2: Like every profession is at least someone, but yeah, apparently not football.
Speaker 1: Well in the men's team anyway, Oh sorry, Yes, women's team is full of them, but.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, but yeah, and in the men's Premier league.
Speaker 1: But again that is always all the patriarch, Isn't it all that bullshit? Anyway? So we skip to half time and it's one nil to rovers it is. I can't believe I'm saying this.
Speaker 2: I don't give a shit. Got the lingo right, so that's all it counts. Yeah, yeah, it's one nil and stuff's clearly been happening.
Speaker 1: People are not happy.
Speaker 2: No, there's a lot of chanting going on. Goals happened because of potentially a referee mistake. Yeah, no one. Initially no one knows it was. But then Ralph's character Phil comes in having spoken to the mascot and found out that yes, it was miles off. It shouldn't have been a throw in. So they debated on the podcast about how VR would have impacted this. Yeah, I don't. I never understand how what the debate about var is like, I know it's now a thing, but it was debated for a long time whether it should be allowed. It's like, you're going to base your decision pure on what you saw in a fraction of a second that you might not be certain about, and not to look at the HD film of it. It just made no sense to me.
Speaker 1: Classic example of oh, we've done it this way for years, so this is the way we're going to keep doing it. Yeah, even though that way would be would make so much more sense. But yeah, But the other thing that's weird is like is you know, once they've once they've made the decision and they've awarded it, they then obviously you know, they're not supposed to be looking at the footage, but if they get proof that actually it was wrong, they can't change it. It's done now, like happened. Yeah, so weird, all for a fucking game of football.
Speaker 2: Sorry, I've talked about football for this long.
Speaker 1: And one Yeah, they are one football fanst.
Speaker 2: Sorry if we lose you, is that you can skip this episode next week more regular broadcasting.
Speaker 1: Yes, And so he awarded it, I think on Ogie's advice because he was the one that supposedly saw it.
Speaker 2: Yes, it'd be on his side of his side of the pitch, so Phil will be on one side of the pitch or you would have been on the other side. How it would have worked?
Speaker 1: Thank you?
Speaker 2: Just trying to flex that I know anything.
Speaker 1: Wow, I'm impressed. And what's the pitch? Is it that big green thing?
Speaker 2: It's the big green thing. Yeah, but yeah, if the ball goes out of the big green thing, then they throw it back in again from the other team.
Speaker 1: And now explain the off side rule.
Speaker 2: Well, you've got to have at least a player between the play, you actually know, Yeah, between the last kicker and the goal, so you can't just run out ahead and yeah.
Speaker 1: Something one of those things where my mum used to watch football and I used to be there. I used to ask her to explain it and she always say, oh, you wouldn't understand, and not bother because she was too busy watching the game.
Speaker 2: It's it's it's all to do with the being some player between the person with the ball and the goalkeeper.
Speaker 1: Okay, I don't actually care, it was just the I didn't think.
Speaker 2: I've had to listen to this for years from my mom's staff, making other people though, Yeah.
Speaker 1: You've just explained it, and it's already gone out of my head.
Speaker 2: That's where it should be.
Speaker 1: But yes, so we get this whole thing of in play betting and that oggie is being bribed to make this happen at a certain minute.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I can understand certain things that you could fix like that, but a throw in at that what if the ball were just in the middle of the pitch, like there's nothing to do, then.
Speaker 1: Well, yeah, you can't really guarantee it can.
Speaker 2: You know, it could be somewhere near an edge.
Speaker 1: That's a very good point.
Speaker 2: It's a very tricky one to fix on that. You could say that your giver throwing I don't know, in the first half or something, but to be that specific to a minute.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I don't know how often it's going out.
Speaker 2: Not that often. But unless the bet was I know, the twenty six minute, the thirty sixth minute, the forty sixth minute, something like, and he had options. I don't know who knows, but it must be it must be very tempting, like to do something that objectively no one's going to know you did in theory if you do it properly. And I guess that's why he got caught, because he knew it had to be this minute and it was close in close ish, so he went with it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but it shouldn't have been Yeah, but no yeah, yeah, So it's all kicking off no pun intended. Hm hmm. Look at me, I made a football pan.
Speaker 2: With drinking paints.
Speaker 1: Next Mitch comes in really angry linesman a linesman and there's a brawl mm hmmm, which is ridiculous. For some reason reason ends up with his.
Speaker 2: Trousers down because why not.
Speaker 1: Look, I love that bit a minute later when he's just calmly explaining the rules while he's there with his hands over his lips. So funny. And yeah, Calvin's involved as well. There's violence, and Martin gives him a red card.
Speaker 2: Yeah awkward. Yeah, I mean, in Martin's defense, what else could he have done?
Speaker 1: Oh no, exactly, it had to be.
Speaker 2: I don't really feel Calvin's got a leg to stand on here, not at all. It's one thing shouting and screaming, but it's another thing actually punching a referee.
Speaker 1: Yes, it's funny that, you know how he tries to retract it and say, you know, if I meant to give him a yellow card, I could have shown him that, couldn't I. And Brendan says, no, you already booked him in the first half. But I'm surprised that he did book him in the first half because yeah, again, there must have been.
Speaker 2: A it's probably compensating, like he's gone it.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, I mustn't let it show that I have any favoritism, so I'm gonna yeah.
Speaker 2: And also to throw off that it would be worried that people will know, and if he yellow cards and then it throws out maybe that's not well, I wouldn't have really loved him, I wouldn't have yellow carded him, So that kind of thing, I guess. I don't know unless he did something. I mean, this guy clearly has a bit of a temper problem, so maybe who knows what he did on the picture that he maybe couldn't have done anything but yellow card him exactly.
Speaker 1: Yeah. And yeah, then so Calvin Outsmartin hm very.
Speaker 2: Awkward also, like, yes, I know he's doing it to hurt him and everything in that moment, but he's also outing himself.
Speaker 1: Well, he's outing himself that he's done this stuff with him. Yeah, but I think it's a bit of a one like you said earlier, like it's that he's done it to get in with the referee, and like, oh yeah, yeah, I think Calvin's straight, and I think he's let him do things with him so that he can use it to his advantage potentially.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I suppose.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think that probably makes sense because he the way he says, like you've you know, you've suck the cop for the last time. Very yeah, Yeah.
Speaker 2: I can see what you mean though, Yeah, like he's he's outing him, but in his mind he can't be outed because he's not he's not gay, not.
Speaker 1: Gay, you know, like those straight people are like, oh, you know, it's not gay if you do this or that, you know it's yeah. Yeah, that's that's what he comes across, like like, you know, oh, just because I let a man suck me off doesn't mean I'm gay.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: And that's the SoundBite for the episode on TikTok and there, oh my god, the funniest bit, that long long pause after he says that really theatrical so awkward, and then just Brendan just put all that in the reporter.
Speaker 2: It goes on forever, but it's perfectly timed.
Speaker 1: He's not great at reading the room, no ban so Martin plans that he's going to try and even things up in the second half, and the others are a bit, oh we sure by this? Again another great line from Brendan. Murray says, are you sure your judgment hasn't been colored by Calvin? The fact that you just suck sent him off? Very good? And so yeah, that's his plan to try and try and fix things. But that's just you know, creating more problems, really, isn't it.
Speaker 2: But I can understand the idea.
Speaker 1: But especially given how he's been painted to be this so by the book, you have to do things right and then to admit that he's considering sort of fixing it a bit. But I suppose it's a difficult situation.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there's no right way to do it. Well, either he lets on and his friend loses his job and all sorts of stuff I presume, yeah happens.
Speaker 1: I think, I mean, given the way the character has been presented from the beginning of the episode, I think that is what he would have done is just sort of say, well, that was Oggie's problem.
Speaker 2: He did that tell Yeah, but yeah.
Speaker 1: Obviously there's developments to come, so m yeah. We then go to the post match, which was abandoned just before the end for carnage suspected well, suspected collusion. I was going to say that, yeah, all sorts going on.
Speaker 2: Martin, in his efforts to maintain balance, has tried to claim handball on the goalie who I don't know if you know, is allowed to use their hands and gotten a penalty to be retaken three times until they successfully got it in and the game is in massive disrepute, and yeah, it's got called off. I love that you've got it starts with Phil like going around the changing room looking a bit shady and suspicious and then doing his eyeliner.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Also, I forgot to mention earlier I loved that joke about linesman minele. It was the image of him crying and that they're all running down his cheeks.
Speaker 2: But I do like that joke, and I do like early when Martin refers to them as John Crawford and Bet Davis. Is it the big rivalry thing. I also don't feel like a bunch of football referees would know about nineteen thirties or whatever Hollywood drama some some matriarchs and stuff.
Speaker 1: That's a fair point. Yeah, I suppose people are more rounded than we think.
Speaker 2: Maybe maybe, yeah, maybe it's massively into the golden age of Hollywood.
Speaker 1: Yeah well no, but like you know, they're of an older generation than us, and maybe they've heard family talk about don't it.
Speaker 2: Maybe.
Speaker 1: I mean everyone knows who lies Iman Ellie.
Speaker 2: Was, yeah, is Yeah, I still keep being amazed that she's alive. Yeah, I feel like she died about twenty years ago.
Speaker 1: I know that's what I just like to correct myself.
Speaker 2: She's still very much alive.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but yeah, we've got officials and the police as well questioning them individually. It's obviously clearly going to come out.
Speaker 2: Yep. I don't understand that. So Ogie says to Martin, will you keep my name out of this? But his argument is being that he was only trying to keep things fair, So how does he say that? How can he maintain any element of maintaining fairness if he can't say what Oggie's done?
Speaker 1: No, I think that's ridiculous.
Speaker 2: Yeah, unless he just says that, Unless he's just going to say that he made a mistake and like not the malice behind, not the ill intentions behind it.
Speaker 1: Could do. But yeah, I mean it's quite a nice bit there with them. You just get Stephen Reese sitting side by side, and it's like, oh, you know, because they're the two constants in the show, it's nice for them to just have a scene the two of them. Yeah, And Augie says that the Eastern betting syndicate that contacted him actually sounded like just one man putting a voice on, which I feel is relevant when we get the final twist later. Oh, Okay, it's wondering if maybe that one man putting a voice on was a particular man.
Speaker 2: I never considered that.
Speaker 1: Oh, I like that like him, he orchestrated the whole thing. Yeah, if that is the intention. I mean, it's not super clear, but I did. I did wonder.
Speaker 2: I'd never considered that. But yeah, that really works.
Speaker 1: Then he knew he'd be the most vulnerable to it.
Speaker 2: Maybe, Yeah, that he's up the rest of everything. Yeah, I mean I still think that we're dancing around the revelation. But I feel feel like the plant would have worked either way. He still could have made all of that happen in the second Yeah, he doesn't need what he's done in the first half.
Speaker 1: No, but I think helps. It helps because it creates the whole violent dispute and everything, which which helps them get duck points. Doesn't it If they just abandoned the match because of something had gone wrong, they wouldn't necessarily get duck points. I don't think.
Speaker 2: Oh no, But if so, I guess we'd just just say it. So Martin has purposefully orchestrated all of this, yeah, too, hopefully ensure that this team loses some points that puts them just under his team City, who couldn't have otherwise had enough points for automatic promotion. So he's taken the last last thing before he retires is to make sure that his team makes it into the Premier League. But I still feel like even if what Ogi had done hadn't happened, he could have still done his whole nonsense decisions in the second half, which would have led to fights, which have led to red cards, which would have led to all the screaming and showing and match being abandoned. I just feel like, hmm, it probably helps though that the thing happened in the.
Speaker 1: First Isn't he also concerned about his reputation, isn't he so if he can pin it on Oggie and Ogi being the one that did something wrong and then he was just trying.
Speaker 2: To, if that's true, fix it. Yeah, that looks better for him. Yeah, because that was going to be my point that how if these are related, how how he knew that someone would do something? But yeah, that makes sense.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think he. I think he did it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that has just become a little bit more evil. Hm.
Speaker 1: I can believe it that his look on his face at the end when he's on his own and he realizes his team is going to be promoted. Yeah, the passion, you know, it really means a lot to him, like that Tattoo City till I die mm hmm. I mean I don't understand it, but.
Speaker 2: Yeah, as if you're going to throw your whole career away. But he's got nothing else to lose at that point, like his career done, so does it matter? He's happy? Have you seen in the trivia section of the in Tantumer nine wiki that they reckon that? So the title is written as the referees a wanker with the A nk.
Speaker 1: Oh yes hashed out yeah?
Speaker 2: A is that they actually think it's winner, which I'd never consider before and I enjoy.
Speaker 1: Well. I was going to I was going to bring this up, the whole title thing, because obviously when it comes up in the title card of the episode, it's start out. And my question was going to be, is it is the title officially the referees a w star star star star er or is the title the referees a wanker? But they just can't put that on BBC.
Speaker 2: Yeah, or on the podcast thing they refer to it is yeah, So and they never went into saying that there was more to it than that, No, which I think they probably would have done. But then they never mentioned the thing that you said about Martin putting in a voice, So no, maybe not. I don't know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's interpretation, really yeah, but yeah, that is a nice double meaning there, quite clever. I just it does. It's mind boggling to me that he would do all this for that. I know he says, he says earlier, I did it for love, And I think you're supposed to think he's talking about Calvin, but he's actually talking about love for his club, and the fact that he would risk his reputation and all the legal consequences for love for a club, Like it just shows like love is a stranger thing than anything else in this world, even if it is for a bloody football club.
Speaker 2: Like yeah, I mean it's not like he's, you know, just starting out and it's not a career he's that fussed about and he'll just jack it all in and go and do something else like this is this is his legacy that he's like throwing away after however many years.
Speaker 1: Yeah, very strange. That's what people who are into football are like. And I did think as well. You know, we're saying about how well cast David Morrissey was, but he's obviously very passionate about football himself. He is very funny that they had to change the whole team names around that they had in the original script because originally it would have required him to have United till I die on his back and I think he's a Liverpool fan and that would have been too much for him to have that as a temporary tattoo for one day of filming on his back. Apparently that would have made him too sick, so he had they had to change the whole thing around. Really, really call yourself an actor, I've said.
Speaker 2: Him in various things. He's murdered people in all sorts, so.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but he cannot have United.
Speaker 2: That they are weird of football people? Do you take it crazily serious?
Speaker 1: Weird? It's completely comes from a completely different place. But I completely agree with Mitch's thing. He says, get carried away?
Speaker 2: We do?
Speaker 1: Are we about twenty two blogs chasing the pig's bladder around the field. Yeah, that's exactly how I feel. Yeah, we didn't mention as well the lovely jokes about you want to use the back entrance and one hundred and fifty million quid right off the shitter, no offense.
Speaker 2: That wasn't in the original script, but you just changed.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And thinking about it, it doesn't quite make sense because you would you would say down the shitter, yeah, or up the swanee. But he sort of merged them together.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I know, considered that actually, and we never do find out what species he is meant to be?
Speaker 1: No, yeah, and he knows he looks like an idiot, but you do anything for your club. Oh dear, can I stop talking about football? Now? What are you going to? Am?
Speaker 2: I going to rate it? Well, this is a funny one. It was one of the ones that I remember thinking would be very low on my list, but I'm actually more impressed with it than I thought. I mean, it's nowhere near the top episodes, but it does have a decent twist. I do like that there's quite a lot of seed, soone that makes sense on a rewatch of like all these little things that he's doing. I'm tempted. Bry a five. Okay, it's very middle. I think the comedy is what is keeping it for me as well. I think if it hadn't been a funny one and they tried to do it a bit more straight then then it would have been a lot lower. But you don't really need to know a lot about football, and it's not Whilst it's very important, it's not that important at the same time. So yeah, I think I'm gonna go five.
Speaker 1: Okay, that's fair.
Speaker 2: How about you?
Speaker 1: I'm going to four? Just yeah, I mean similar, But I do just think for me, I found I had to concentrate so hard on something that I'm not really enthusiastic about, and it was just, you know, that's very very much a personal score. Yeah, but yeah, I think it's it's it's not terrible. It's it's a well written story, well created piece of TV. But just in terms of how much I enjoy it, I had to put it down a little bit.
Speaker 2: So I for yeah, I do wish I liked football, just because of how many people love it and you feel like you excluded from so many conversations and stuff. But I really just don't.
Speaker 1: No, I would rather spend the energy on other things.
Speaker 2: Yeah, literally anything else.
Speaker 1: Where was the hair? Then?
Speaker 2: Well they sat I had to look up. I don't know, did you spot it?
Speaker 1: I didn't know no, it was at the.
Speaker 2: Very beginning on top of the microwave. Oh right, okay, but yeah I didn't spot it. Had to google and cheat this week fair. Speaking of which, did you spot our hair?
Speaker 1: We'll let you know next week where it was before we finish. I wanted to share a quick message as well. This message came in on Instagram from Emma, who says, hello, hope you both had a lovely Christmas. I just wanted to send a wee message to say how much I'm enjoying the podcast. I'm such a huge fan of Inside Number nine and it's been so lovely to listen to a show where the hosts are clearly so passionate and genuine. I found the podcast in the run up of going to Stage Fright in Edinburgh, which I ended up going to twice because it was just the best show ever and it's been such a joy to listen to, especially knowing there's going to be episodes once the theater tour is over and the show will be kept alive for a bit longer. Keep up the amazing work, guys. I look forward to the new episodes every week. Thank you Emma, Thank you Emma.
Speaker 2: Lovely.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we are glad that people enjoy listening to us, even when it's about.
Speaker 2: Football, So our viewership made it for this episode. Yeah yeah, sorry. We'll be back with nonsense next week.
Speaker 1: We will yes again quite a big one. Next week we're with death. Be not proud indeed, But for now, I think it's time to close the door on number nine.
Speaker 2: Were you never really leave? Do you?
Speaker 1: Thanks for listening to the Ninth Degree. If you'd like to get in touch, you can find us on Instagram, Twitter, and TikTok at ninth Degree Pod, or email us at ninth Degree Pod at gmail dot com. You can also leave us a rating or a review wherever you get your podcasts.