Speaker 1: The Team House with your hopes, Jack Murphy and David Bark. Hi, everyone, Welcome to episode three hundred and seventy five of The Team House. I'm Jack Murphy here tonight with our guest Jake Adelstein. He is the author of Tokyo Wece an American reporter on the police beat in Japan. This is a book I read way back in two thousand and nine. I feel old looking at the date on there this afternoon. He has also written The Last Yakuza Life and Death in the Japanese Underworld. This is probably the best. I mean, I would say it is the best English language book about the Yakuza. You guys should go and check this one out. And his follow up to Tokyo Wes Tokyo Noir, which kind of continues Jake's own story in Japan in and out of the out of Japan's Underworld. I hope you guys will check this one out also. So, Jake, welcome to the show. Thanks for joining us.
Speaker 2: Hey, it's a pleasure to be on your show. I'm, you know, not as grizzled as your usual veterans, but I'll do my best.
Speaker 1: I should also mention Tokyovice has been turned into a television show with two seasons that people can go and check out. It's like loosely based on your book, but it's it's good to watch. It's fun to watch. It's a good show.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, thank you. Uh you know the person who was running the show was my high school buddy. Oh really, he went off to become a Yeah. Yeah, he went up to college and he became a very successful actor in New York and he wrote a lot of plays set in foreign countries, including Afghanistan and in Africa. And you know, he won a Tony Award, which I think is a big deal in the world of movies in theater for this play about about the Kalestonian peace talks and oglows and uh yeah, it's a great play. And they made it into a movie too. And I asked him to be the showrunner and HBO was like yes, And so it's great to work with your high school money. And he was very good about listening to what I had to say ninety percent of the time.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's super cool. That came together quite well. So I want to just start off asking you a bit about your own origin story, which kind of you tell in Tokyo. Wece. But I mean, as I recall, you grew up in the Midwest, Jewish dude from the Midwest, and you ended up working as a reporter in Tokyo. Uh well, in like the early to mid nineteen nineties, Like tell us that whole trajectory from point A to point B, how that came about?
Speaker 2: Okay, Okay, yeah, it's uh it's it's you know, Columbia, there is an interesting place I went. I went back there two years ago to do a podcast about a serial killer in the hospital where my father worked. That is a whole other story in an entire podcast. So I grew up there. My father has always well has spent most of his time at the HARRYS. Trueman, but I'durm's Hospital where he's a pathologist. He was also the medical examiner. So I grew up listening to lots of stories about crime and murder and accidents, and that was kind of always dinner conversation. And in high school I got kind of picked on a little bit. I got in a fight with the school bully, and my teacher, instead of expelling me, told me I needed to take karate lessons to channel my anger. And from there I got interested in Japan. And so my first year since student at the University of Missouri, I noticed that they had an exchange program, and I thought, what a wonderful opportunity to go to Japan. And lucky for me, it was a time like when the Japanese economy was booming and Japan seemed very expensive. So we had no one going from the university. We had twenty people coming from Sophia University, which is the university where I was going to go as an exchange student, and they relaxed the rules and let me go after only a year of Japanese under my belt, and a couple of months after I got there, I ended up living in a zen Buddhist temple. It's that really weird story. I mean, there's kind of one coinstance after another, and I'm still friends with the chief priest. I mean, you know, and you read the book where now he's my end master, which is kind of a weird thing to say.
Speaker 1: And so from there, that's how you kind of got immersed in Japanese culture, in the Japanese language, and kind of continued from there.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah, I mean I was full immersion, right because you're in You're in the you know, living in this temple, I'm living surrounded by Japanese people, and I'm going to school all the time. And I thought, you know, if I'm going to really improve my Japanese, if I'm really going to get better before I graduated, I should do something that would force me to work hard. And so I decided to study for the newspaper entrance examinations, which are something in Japan that newstreamers do.
Speaker 1: They hire you my examination, and I got to ask, was this like a bit of like youthful hubris that you're like, I'm some white kid from the Midwest. I'm going to just jump right in and take the entrance exam for a prestigious Japanese newspaper.
Speaker 2: You know. It's it's a saying in Japanese that even a stupid person can do one thing right. And so, you know, I had some talent for Japanese and also I am you know, I hate to admit it's such a contrarian that once I decided to do it and people told me that it would never happen, I was just like, wow, We'll see. So that was that.
Speaker 1: So you went in, It took the test and got the job. I mean, did they know they were hiring an American when they blessed off on it?
Speaker 2: Like, you know, the minionship would used to be the world. So I just his paper. I mean it had eleven million readers a day at the time when everyone in Japan was reading a newspaper. Most of the readers are Japanese of course, right, and they wanted to internationalize themselves, and so you know, they had a the question the essay topic we have to write an essay was, you know, foreigners, kay Cokuchi. So I wrote this essay. It was like, if you're serious about an internationalized thing, and you really you know, and you know you're giving us the topic of foreigners, you should hire a foreigners so you have a different perspective on things. And they took me up on that. So to their credit, you know, they knew exactly what they were doing. They did have They did it just like in the TV shows. There's have some questions on whether me being nominally Jewish would be an obstacle to be.
Speaker 1: Working, but they didn't really care.
Speaker 2: No, no, no, I mean I mean, if I had been smart, I would say, you know, I should have said like, uh, you know, I, yeah, I have to have the Sabbath off because then I might have actually done some vacation time on the job, but I didn't.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I don't think they have rasha Shan as a national holiday in Japan.
Speaker 2: No, I mean, I don't. I don't think, you know, I'll tell you what, like you know I do. I'm not complaining. It's just how things are are in the pan as they used to be. So we had, as a newstry reporters, especially on the crime beat, we had like eighty hour weeks, ninety hour weeks sometimes depending on what was the news breaking. And you know, they would give you a calendar with your days marked off on it, and and you know, and you would almost never get those days off. And then as I rose up in the company, sometimes you would be on the night shift and you'd be following a formula to mark your labor hours. So I went once in the company, I hadn't I hadn't been like in the office for three days working on a story, manning the phones, and I marked myself into like in the middle of a vacation, because that's what the manual said.
Speaker 1: It's pretty crazy, as you become a reporter in Japan. I feel like this is kind of like where you get taken into the next level of the immersion, Like you start to interact with obviously the press, but also the police. You're kind of on the metro beat, right, so you're interacting with the police and eventually organized crime. You're starting to learn sort of like where the fault lines in society are, Like, like what was that like and what were you learning as a young guy working that job at the time.
Speaker 2: First of all, what was really different for me is I didn't drink. I mean, you know, I drink in college. I was like a straight edge punk and I'm living in this zen Buddhist temple where you know, you can drink it's an end Buddhist, but you're not supposed to get drunk. And the first thing I realized that you have to drink with the cops. If you don't drink with the cops, they don't take you seriously.
Speaker 1: And there's sort of like this interesting relationship between the police and the press and the criminals and the way you kind of like have to balance that as a reporter working in that environment.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, because everybody has their part to play right. And you know, when you're first starting off to the cops, you're just a nuisance, right, You're you know, if they like you, maybe they'll feed you a story. And in the ACA is a you know, if they talk to you at all, it's when they realize that you might be able to write a story that would do damage to their enemies, so they might feed you a good story. I mean, that was a really weird thing that I realized is is that the rules of engagement as a journalist, especially covering organized crime, were like this. You could get information from the akaza and you could pass it on to the police, and that was okay. You just had to make sure that the akada were these these mafiosas understood that you understood that you were doing them a favor, and it wasn't the other way around. And then but you could never take information you got from the police and give it to the akaza. And so everyone has these kind of sort of rules and they're not written out, and you sort of warn them as you go along, and you don't want to screw up, and and and what makes being a police reporter in Japan really hard is the cops cannot go on the record because the Japan criminal because the japan Public service laws makes it a crime for a police officer to speak about something that's confidential. So if they get caught, they can get fired, they can even be prosecuted, which is why you have to have this intensive You and I are just drinking and we both got so drunk. No one remembers what happened last night, so of course you could have told me anything about a breaking case.
Speaker 1: And as I recall, there's also some interesting conventions with the newspaper and with the editors. Obviously they have journalistic standards, things have to be sourced properly, but there's also like, oh, do we really want to piss off the cops by publishing that? Do we want to really piss off the yakuza by publishing that. They have to balance some of these things as well.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, the balance with the cops is really hard. You know. There was this one interesting case in which, you know, I don't know about the cops in the United States, but the cops in Japan are very jurisdictional, right, so everybody has their fiefdom. So if there's a homicide case, the homicide cops want to do it. Well, there was one case where they the homicide cases homicide cops took over case from the organized crime squad involving the murder of a low life journalist actually I mean one of our own in a sense, but basically he made his money by blackmailing people. He got paid by not writing articles. So this you know, yakuza kills him. The police started an investigation. First the organized crime cops do it. Then the homicide guys step in and they said, we're going to do We're going to do this. So the homicide cops send like low level rookies to arrest the guy. But the suspect has a gun, right because he's the yaka. Is only theaka that have guns in Japan unless so the cops, And so when the cops show up to rest him, not knowing what's going on, he pulls the gun on him and he holds the hostage in a car for a couple hours a stand off. He shoots himself on the head. He survives. It's a huge scandal, but it's just the whole thing is screwed up because the homicide guys had so much hubris that they wouldn't listen to the organized crime cops, and they didn't tell the rookies going to arrest him the possible danger that he had a gun. So I thought, this is a great story. Here's where police rivalry results in, you know, nearly a death and a hausted situation. It could have been avoided. And so I wrote up the article and I showed it to my boss, and what do you think happened? Said nope, no, no, He said, hold on, this is a great story. So he went to talk to the head of the investigative division, like the chiefs of the detectives, and they made a deal that we would have a scoop on any major crime story for the next six months, and in exchange, we would bury this story. We bury the story.
Speaker 1: I think those types of arrangements exist in the American press, with the big newspapers more than anyone would be comfortable saying out loud, quite frankly. So I want to take a minute today to tell you guys about the perfect gene. I've been wearing them for a few weeks now and really enjoy them, and I just want to share it with our audience. You know, some times jeans have this problem where you know, you guys all have seen these skinny jeens that they like crush your balls and you know it's just not comfortable to wear or the other way around. Jeans are like too baggy. You know, you have this sort of like diaper in your ass area looks like. So there are these problems that you know, different fits of different types of genes have, and the perfect gene strives to fix that, both the fit but also the mobility, the maneuverability. It has a stretchy fabric like they say it's like yoga ready, but you know I would say it's athletics ready. You know, moving furniture, doing things around the house. You're not going to have that like super tight, like constricted fit that you feel like you're not gonna be able to move around in. And there are over four hundred thousand people out there wearing these jeans at this point, so not all of them can be wrong. I hope you guys will go and check them out. So a few scenarios where you can wear these jeans and where they really we come together. Everything from you know, doing yard work or doing things around your house, if you have to move furniture, around or you have to do handiwork. They're perfectly comfortable, but you can wear them, you know, getting your man spread on on the subway if that's your thing. So the Perfect Gene is great for all kinds of different environments, whether it's doing handiwork around the house or on the job or athletics. And we really hope you guys will go and check them out. For a limited time, our listeners get fifteen percent off their first order plus free shipping at the Perfect Gene dot nyc. Or google the Perfect Gene and use the code House fifteen for fifteen percent off. That's fifteen percent off for new customers at the Perfect Gene dot NYC with promo code House fifteen. After you purchase, they'll ask you where you heard about them. Please support our show and tell them we sent you. So fuck yourkakis and get the Perfect Gene.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, I can't say that I miss it that much, But there was something kind of fun about going to going the evening rounds. You actually go to the cops houses and you drink with them, right and the organized kind guy. The guys were fun, I mean because they did crazy cases. They're dealing with these violent criminals, and they tended to be pretty nutty themselves. And because like as I told you, the pretense is right that this is just a friendly drink between buddies, right, so you cannot take notes, you know, you cannot take out a pen and paper. So you drink, you know, for a couple of hours. Maybe maybe you eat something too, and you always try and bring something with you. And then we had taxis that we could use a company cars because of course peopn't want to get arrested for drunk driving, so you'd have to write down everything as fast as you can before you pass out. Our loves is still in your head. I mean, it's great training for remembering conversations because you can't take notes. So there's one cop I really liked named Iso Bassan, and you know he's retired now so and he doesn't have a problem to mention his name. And when I go to easta Basons, the first thing he would say was like, would you like a beer? And that's very common advantage. You start with a beer, and then we would drink some Japanese sake and he was really into the sake soap he would tell me where it was from. And whether it was dry or whether it was sweet, and you know what its name was and why this was a good sake. And then after the sake, sometimes his wife would make his dinner and we would have some wine with the dinner, and if it was winter, he'd give me a shot of whiskey for the roape because it was cold outside. And so my notes from my visits to his house would always like start with very nice, you know, fine print and details, but by the third page office started trailing off as I'd pass out. That was kind of fun.
Speaker 1: And at this point you're like, you're young too. You're like, what like twenty five.
Speaker 2: Or something, Yeah, twenty five, twenty six.
Speaker 1: It's awesome. So let's there's a whole bunch of things that I want to get into with you, but maybe this would be the right place to sort of jump off and ask you about Sigo and how you met him and how how that kind of relationship came about for you.
Speaker 2: So I first met Sigol very early on, when I was doing this crazy story about uh dog breaders, shield killer and his wife who murdered a bunch of their customers who are I'm happy with and they killed Yaka the boss and his driver. Okay, so they killed the Yaka, the bost and his driver. We all knew that the police were investigating these guys, and we split up into teams to cover the people that were missing, people that had been killed by the bisecting again his name in the serial Killer. I got assigned to cover Endo Makoto and his driver Walkuisan and in the course of in the course of that investigation, I started dating and those mistresses and Sigo was in the same organized crime group, the Ena Galachai, and at one point, uh, you know, I think he actually came to her house or something. We had this sort of discussion of the fact that you know, wasn't appropriate for me to be with the his brothers and the organization's mistress, and I was like, you know, the guy is probably dead and I should be awarded. I should be rewarded for taking care of the mistress because there's no one to look after her. And he just thought that was a lot of Chuck's butun very fun. And then we just stayed in touch until about two thousand and eight, when I was put under police protection because I pissed off this yak as a boss and he was kicked out of his organization because he owed a bunch of money to them, And so I asked him, you know, would you be my bodyguard and my driver because I need both and he said.
Speaker 1: Yes, Well that's uh yeah, maybe before we jump off into the next thing, we should talk about that a little bit more. You're you're talking about go to.
Speaker 2: Correct Oh, yes, I'm talking about Boto.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so tell us about kind of like how you pissed that dude off and how that became an issue for you.
Speaker 2: Oh sure, So got Tamasa is kind of the Richard Branson of organized crime, Mike Richard Branson if he puts a homicidal, homicidal maniac. So you know a little bit of background for people who are not versus of thetof So. Japan has basically twenty crime families called collectively called the Yakuza, and the biggest of them all was the Yamaguchigumi, which at one time I had forty thousand members. They are they are public entities, meaning that you know, they have offices, they have business cards, they exist in the public. Actually, I've got a fan magazine around if you'd like me to pull it out. I could show it to you, Yeah, just to show you how crazy that is.
Speaker 1: Yeah, why not?
Speaker 2: Okay, hold on, I'll co grab it.
Speaker 1: Yeah. So Jake's talking about how they're these Yakuza families. They get writers and publishers to actually make fanzines like magazines extolling how great the Yakuza is and they're exploits and how honorable they are and all this kind of stuff.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, yeh, So here we are. So this is a Yakaza fan magazine. It's really thick. This one is especially a shoot because it has an article analyzing the legislation that was put on the books around two thousand and between two thousand nine twenty eleven, which made it a crime to pay off the Akiza. So there's a big article here about and also criticizing the National Police Agency for interesting on the human rights in Yakuza by outlying some of their criminal activities. I mean, I laughed, because it's like, it's not like you're born in Yakaza. You do have some choice there. Who is the so this is? This is it?
Speaker 1: Who's the readership of magazines like this, Jake? Like you know, in America, of course, we have an interesting like crime films and crime dramas like that. These criminals are edgy outsiders on the peripheral of society. Is that kind of who reads these magazines?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Yeah, okay, so first of all, right, at the time when they're eighty thousand, because of in Japan, this is kind of like you know, car and Driver if you're in the automobile in the sty.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's like a people are industry publication.
Speaker 2: Yes, so it's an industry publication, but also people reading it are the police read it? Right, the journalists read it and then you know, your your average sort of white collar worker and blue collar worker who dreams of being a tough guy of not you know, of having women in cars and lots of money and doing whatever they want. They read it too because it's exciting, right. People are interested in gangsters, like the same kind of people who love true crime. And there are probably some women readers who read it as well, so it's very male oriented.
Speaker 1: Okay, So back to Goto, So back to God.
Speaker 2: So go To is was the head of the AMA Give Me, which is the largest organized crime group which has been around nineteen fifteen, over one hundred years. He was head of their Tokyo Operations, and he was really ruthless, and he was a really good businessman at one point. At one time he was the largest individual shareholder of Japan Airlines. So I mean, think about that's a lot of money to have. But because he was ruthless, because he has no morals, he pissed off a lot of people. And he also didn't take very good care of himself. So he needed a liver transplant, and the best place to get a liver transplant is in the United States. And in order to get that liver transplant, because he was on a blacklist by the FBI, of course, the United States isn't going to let in a known criminal of his nature in. He made a deal with the FBI that they would provide him a visa to go into the United States and get a liver transplant at UCLA. UCLA found him a liver or the FBI didn't find him, didn't find a deliver, but he did that and he ratted out his buddies to get that deal. Or the FBI was kind of wanted intelligence about organized crime within the United States. The Japanese police and the National Police Agency would not cooperate with the FBI for reasons I've never understood. They wouldn't share their list of members with the FBI, and the FBI wanted that list.
Speaker 1: So go open kimono with the FEDS to get his liver.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, yeah, yeah, totally. But he kind of screwed them too, because as soon as he got his liver, he you know, he checked out of the hospital. He only gave them about a fit to what he promised, So it wasn't a very good deal in terms of for the FEDS either. So you know what I did is that I had heard about this. I'd heard about the fact that he got a liver transplant while covering this huge story about a loan chark who made like over hundreds of millions of dollars with his coloff a loan sharking operation which included laundering money at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas. I mean, really like movie thriller kind of stuff. And on following that story for years, I heard that Goto had made a deal to get into the United States and get a liver transplant. It took me a long time to figure out that he made a deal with the FBI to do it, And so when I started to write about it. Someone routed me out to him, and you know, I was hearing murmurs that that he was very unhappy with what I was working on. And then the National Police Agency told me to come to the office and said, well, you know, you're under police protection. Apparently there's a contract out on you and you know what exactly are you up to? And so that was very awkward too, because it's kind of like, you know, I didn't really want to give up my sources, but they were quite aware of the fact that this deal had been made with the FBI and happy about it, so maybe they wanted this story out as well.
Speaker 1: Cigo kind of tipped you off, didn't the.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, Sigo is one of the people's like, you know, you you may be in some serious problems here, you know, that's a That's the weird thing about the underworld is it's like a giant junior high school where everybody knows each other, so you you get to hear things from other people, you know, even the other Well, this is kind of strange. I've always been strange to be so can you imagine like the Crips and the Bloods sending Christmas cards to each other, not really no, but in Japan that's totally the way that you have all these different organizations. You have the Sumiyo Skai, you have the amumi, and to some extent you can have you can be an in and you can be a blood brother with a member of someone in the Sumiokai. So you have these alliances that transcend organizations. So it comes very complicated. Who knows what? And one third of the akas are Korean Japanese, and because Koreans in Japan are subject to auto discrimination, so there's a substrata of people in the akasa groups who know each other as like, well, you're a fellow Korean, and even though we're in different organizations, we have this in common. And I was kind of like navigating that labyrinth of connections between the organizations to get information because it's reporter. Information is what you want, right, That's what gets you a scoop.
Speaker 1: So let's let's pick up the got story towards the end as we kind of jump forward in time, and I'd like to dive in a little bit deeper with you into the yakuza, and if you can tell us a little bit. You alluded to already a bit about the history of it. I think it's very very interesting in the last Kuza, how you explain that, you know, the yakuza in a lot of ways was born out of a segment of the Japanese population that was marginalized and they weren't allowed to work normal jobs. So like the kind of the system sort of created this underworld at the time.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, so you know, originally, you know, let's talk about let's go back to eighteen seventy stuff. There are two kinds of yakers that there were street merchants, and there were federations of gamers. But the Second World War comes, it ends disastrously for Japan and you have all these people. Sorry, my phone is making annoying noises. Actually that was funny. Was just telling me there's an Enegalachai meeting tomorrow. They have meet monthly meetings, and you can watch all the cars line up in front of their office and raponki across from Riz Carlton.
Speaker 1: Did they have someone that takes the minutes of the meeting.
Speaker 2: Yes, jes see, I'm just going to take some into the meetings. It's it's I mean, like I said, right, so it's very in your faith, right, So uh, they have a monthly meeting, it's usually the same day, and then you can sort of do yaka the watching. You can watch them come in their cars and see you. I think the Lexus is their favorite brand now, Eastern Mercedes, Benz and the cops are all lined up there, you know, watching them come in and out of the meetings. And sometimes there's still some reporters from the weekly magazines there to photograph the meetings. So that's always surreal. But back to your point. So World War two ends and you know, these guys come back from the war and it's total chaos. Right. The Japanese police force exists, but they have a limited ability to police things, especially what are called third party nationals. Third party nationals are people who were under the Imperial Japan, the Taiwanese and the Chinese and the Koreans technically Japanese citizens, but not really. So after the war ends and Japan starts rebuilding, these people don't fit in. Like if you're a Korean Japanese, even if you nationalize, you know, the jobs open to you are basically Korean barbecue rafel Leve Hotel owner, Pachinko parlor, pachinko Parlo being kind of like a gambling pinball machine place. And so the Akasa, though, we're a meritocracy, so if you could do the time, and you could do the crime, they would let you in. And there's a other weird outcast class in Japan called Barackomene are people who traditionally worked with leather where butchers dealt with animals because that was considered unclean to kill an animal. And the Akasa welcomed these people and didn't care what your ethnic background is or whether you were part of the Baracomine class, and that was one of the reasons that they did so well. And they also have this code. I wouldn't even call it a code of honor. It's a code of conduct which is certain things would get you kicked out of the ax especially in the early days, which is petty theft that'll get you kicked out. Robbery. Robbery is taking things with violence, right, you know, like mugging someone on the street, dealing and using drugs. Of course, sexual assault because you know that is not acceptable and that would get you kicked out. But everything else, extortion, racketeering, threatening people, that was all okay. You can do all those things.
Speaker 1: So what was it really a code or was it more like guidelines.
Speaker 2: It's a code, and you know every every faction has its own code and ethics, but the Inegalai especially right and then always like all these things, it depends on the Boston. You broke that code, they kicked you out. And one of the things that issues that the people had with God was that he killed civilians, and killing civilians with a big no no. Threatening journalists was a big no note because you know, Japan had some sort of social contract with the akasa and the police as well. It's like, okay, you know, you have these things that you do and you make your money that nobody else wants to do, and we're fine with that. But once you step out of those lines, then you're just common criminals.
Speaker 1: Let's get a couple things out of the way that are sort of like the visible things about the yakuza that people know about. Specifically, I want to talk about the tattoos and the sacrificial finger that gets authorized or offered as apology. What are the truth behind sort of these like the cultural mystique of the yakuza.
Speaker 2: Okay, so you know, I'm opening this up here to these guys. See this guy, this is the leader of them. Give me right here attending a attending a funeral for one of the founders of the organization. Oh, next to this is also a penis in large Manand they always have penis in large branants in these magazines.
Speaker 1: Who doesn't want one?
Speaker 2: Actually, I can tell you a funny story about the yacht of the Bosston about one of these operations went bad. Plate we'll move that later to the conversation. So, you know, discussA snobson is missing a finger and and and it's unclear why he's missing that finger, but I do know that it was an issue for the Amagumi when I wrote an article and I published a photo of him with the vice chairman of Japan's Olympic committee in twenty fifteen. You know this is Japan, right, the vice chairman of Japan's Olympic committee photographed and clearly friends with the head of Japan's largest organized crime group. Was a minor issue, and that was a nice scoop for me. But before I published the article, I called up someone in the Amachigumi and said, like, basically, I'm writing this article. You know I'm not the only one that could write it as a professional courtesy. I'm letting you know. And the only thing that was said to me was could you crop the photo so that we don't see itscassa as missing as middle is a little picky there because he's very sensitive about it. I said, I can't do that, but I can't include a line in the article that your boss is honorable because I did so. First, we'll get to this the little the little finger thing. Uh. In a time when Japanese people use sorts, right, if you cut off this finger here, you weaken your sword drip. So it is a sign of appeasement. By offering up part of your finger to the person you wrong, you're showing that you are sorry, and you're weakening yourself, just like a dog shows its neck right in a dogfight, to say, like, if you want to take me out, take me out, you know, let me live. So when yaka the culture, there's two reasons you cut off your finger, and usually it's just the tip of your pinky, right, you know, because you know you don't want to cut off this much, this much If you screwed up and you're chopping off your finger, so that you can stay in the organization or make amends or not pay a debt. But you owe that is called a shinny UVII. That is a dead finger. But if you do it on behalf of so your brother or your your friend in the organization who is done something wrong. Maybe he's stolen money from the organization, maybe he's maybe he's cooperated too much with the cops, maybe he's fallen asleep on his job as a bodyguard. Anyways, screwed up. And you do that on behalf of him, then that is called an ecup, which is a living finger, and that is considered very honorable to sacrifice part of yourself, are getting a part of yourself or somebody else, That is an honorable thing. And even though if you and I look at someone's finger, all et is a missing finger right in the opposite world which I which is like you know, Tokyo Junior High School, everybody knows that that finger is either a dead finger or a living finger.
Speaker 3: If you're in the market for a new mattress, you've probably seen all the brands out there vying for your attention, big names, splashy ads, all promising the same thing. But here's the only brand that.
Speaker 1: Does it right.
Speaker 3: It's ghost Sped. Ghostpedar was created and is still run by manufacturing experts with more than twenty years of mattress making experience. They know the craft and they know how to build a bed that actually lasts. So how do they offer premium mattresses for up to fifty percent off less in the competition. It's not hype, it's smart logistics. As a family owned company, that means there's no board of investors to answer to. Which is folks working hard selling mattresses. These are the true manufacturing pros and the result is an exceptional cooling and comfort at a price that won't keep you up at night. Every gostped mattress includes proven cooling materials back by a twenty to twenty five year Warring tea. You also get one hundred and one night's sleep trial with free returns if the mattress doesn't work for you, and fast free shipping. Most orders arrive in two to five days. Right now, as a teamhouse listener, you can get twenty five percent off site wide for a limited time. You can just go to gosped dot com slash house and use a promo code house at checkout. That's gosped dot com slash house promo code house Upgrade your sleep go sped the makers of the coolest beds in the world. Some exclusions apply see site for details. I want to think ghos sped so much for continuously supporting us. It's been going on a year almost, so I really appreciate that. I hope you guys, if you're in there in the market for mattresses or pillows or betting check out ghost bed. You can go to goost bed dot com slash house and get twenty five percent off right now, love you and love ghost bed, Thanks guys.
Speaker 1: And it's also the idea is that it makes you more reliant on the organization, right, Like that's the part of the symbolism behind it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, the part of the symbolizations. You've you've chopped with the finger. You're lying on the organization for your bread and butter because now you're weaker. But it's also a sign that you've been tolling for something. But it can also be a symbol of strength, right you know, it's painful to cut that off, so you show somebody your missing finger and it's like like, okay, this is someone who is enduring great pain to stay where they are, or enduring great pain on behalf of somebody else. And in the fifties and sixties it sort of became like a cool thing to chop off a finger, like people who look for excuses like Mike, you know, what can I do to justifying chopping on my face? Years so I looked like a tough guy. Uh. I don't know if I mentioned this in the book, but people don't like to say yakaz Jefpanes's polite society because it's you know, it scares people, right, it's you know, it's you know, it's not it's not said lightly. So often instead of saying yakaza, they do this, and that symbolizes a cut across the fai. So in the Akasa world, it used to be, especially in the days when you're having lots of gang wars, that instead of killing you, I would slash you across the face to show that I let you. And amongst the Akasa that sort of became kind of a cool thing. But it's like, wow, I've been in a deadly sight, which I survived. So some of them started doing it to themselves, so that became. That's still the mark of the well.
Speaker 1: Speaking of that, I mean, is that the same rationale behind the tattoos. It's sort of like showing your loyalty to the organization and that I'm this tough guy outsider in society.
Speaker 2: Because there's five there's maybe five reasons you do that. One is, I mean, I love these people said that their tattoos area is One reason that you what you do. The tattoos is because it shows that you are tough. Because the tattoos down the traditional Japanese way are incredibly painful. I mean there's lots of blood. They're done with kind of a an awl awl, like a sort of blood instrument, using sumi, which is kind of like charcoal. It's very painful. The skin is almost burnt sometimes, you know, it never returns to its tense, like you can't feel any warmth. It's like the skin is dead, like somebody's burned there in the evening. They call it mom, which literally means endurance. So a tattoo shows one that you have separated yourself from normal straight society, right, You've branded yourself I'm an outlaw. The other is I am tough. I have my toughness can be seen on my tattoo, the density of the tattoos on my skin. Sometimes the boss will pay for your tattoo, in which case you have to have the boss's name and the organization's emblem engrave on your chest. So that's like corporate branding taking and it's you know, to the ultimate level. Right, you are part of the Enangalachi for ever it's on your chest. And another thing is it shows you have money. It's like a rolex, right, the deeper the you know, the deeper the tattoo, the more colorful it is, the more finite it is, and the more of your body it covers, it shows that you have patience, endurance, and money. It takes hundreds of hours to get a full body tattoo, and all of those things make the tattoo very lower to the end.
Speaker 1: So that I guess the next thing before we go on to some stories and get back to Saigo, could you kind of like briefly outline sort of like the landscape and territory of the yakuza groups. I think you mentioned that there's about twenty of them. It's sort of like their territories.
Speaker 2: So the Yamaguchigumi, which is the largest one is is headquartered in Kobe, So Kobe is in western Japan, Kansai. They have like an entire city block and they have branches all over Japan. They're used to be an agreement. Up until two thousand and five, the Yamagumi couldn't open offices in Tokyo. Tokyo is off limits to them, and that was a very clear divide until two thousand and five. The inning Awa Kai is mostly western Japan, Tokyo, Saitama, Guma, Fukushima where the nuclear accident happened. They have power based there semi national, but not in Okinawa and not very powerful in Kshu. The sumiyos Kai, it's mostly located in Tokyo in surrounding areas. Ginza is their territory, so they get a lot of money and revenue from the hosts, clubs and clubs in the Ginsa area, which is a very rich area, and some of their mostly Tokyo based. The Matsuba Kai is sort of Yuma area. And then you have things like the Kudo Kai which is in Kshu, which is a very powerful, very violent group, actually the most violent of the actual groups. Is fudo kai. They're the guys that throw grenades into the bars of people that won't pay money. Most act of groups are a little better about cultivating good relationship with the public. If you throw grenades into a host as far that won't pay you money, the cops are going to come down you on. The people aren't going to look at you as benevolent out outlast.
Speaker 1: In your books, you kind of make the point that the yakuza do normally play a sort of stabilizing role in society rather than a disruptive one.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, think about it this way. In a time when in a time when you know, the police were shorthanded yakas that basically keep street crime to a minimum in the areas that they control, and they control every and they controlled all of everybody paid protection money, and in return for that, no one was allowed to steal a person. No one was allowed to be robbing places in the neighborhood, because that's bad for business. You want people to go to the red light district and spend their money without worrying about getting mugged or whether we're worrying about getting robbed or having their credit cards stolen. So you know, some levels, even the police considered them anecessary evil because they limited their activities to certain certain activities, which were collecting money from construction companies, bid rigging, you know, racketeering, gambling, and you know, making pornography and other things that have always been on the sort of the outside of Japanese life. And you know, everybody paid the money, and that was kind of the revenue stream there. It's like you ran a bar, you paid the money. If you were building an apartment building in the neighborhood, you paid the money, and in return for that, they kept you know, a minimum of trouble out. And also at a time when there weren't enough lawyers in Japan. This is a very weird but truth true thing, and it needs to be very hard to pass the bar in Japan, so there was a shortage of lawyers. So if you had a civil dispute with someone, right, someone didn't pay you money, or someone cheated you on a construction job, it might take you years to get your case into court and win the court battle, in which case the court wouldn't necessarily enforce the settlement, but if you went to the Yakada, they would handle it. Immediately and they would give you half of what you were owned, which is better than none. So for a long time, the yakada played a huge role in start selling civil disputes, car accidents, damages to property was expensive and time consuming to go to a lawyer. You went to the local yakaza and they took care of it for you. So as the number of lawyers in Japan has increased, the number of yakuza had also decreased. I can't say whether there's a correlation, but one lawyer I know who specializes in dealing with the yaka, you know, he was always saying, yeah, you know, one of the reasons the acada declient is because there's more lawyers here, so their services aort I needed.
Speaker 1: Before we kind of get back to Sigo's story, one character in your books, especially the Last Akuza, is filled with colorful characters. The one that I got to mention and ask you about was this guy that you name in the book as Coach, which was Sigo's sort of mentor for a long time. And this guy is like the real Tokyo godfather, wears sunglasses, even indoors, chain smoking cigarettes, and you know, Lecturer and his boys the yakuza used to follow a code. You know, sounds like absolutely the kind of guy you'd want to have a few drinks with.
Speaker 2: Oh, yes, is a great guy. I mean he was a great guy. He's a really i mean right out of the movies. You know, before he was a yakuza, he was a baseball player in the Tumbull Fires. So he's got some really sort of force ethic to him and you know, keep a leek in the words he is passed. I mean, he was quite strict about that code of honor, you know, the one that was written on the wall of the office, which is, you know, Yakaza do not bother ordinary people. Yakuza do not steal, they do not rob, they do not engage in sexual assault, they do not engage in decency, they don't use drugs, they don't bother civilians.
Speaker 1: That quote in your book you you attribute to him, he says we're less than beggars, but better than thieves. And never forget that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, less than a beggar, better than the thief. Yeah. Kind of one of the things that's really interesting about You've seen the TV series, right, so students have got the plays kind of all it's not right. He's a really sweet guy in real life. The guy who's issued though, right, they're going with the crew cut and wear sunglasses sort of. They hear the leader of the Chihara Kai student Scotta, has been around so long and he's been in so many Akaza movies that he knew kind of how he knew the individual that he's essentially playing a TV version of which I thought was fascinating, and that was one of the reasons I think they was so good at the role. It was if you put two pictures of them together, they look similar. They have the same vibe.
Speaker 1: And the I mean what also in your book kind of strips some of the romanticism away from the yakuza is coach and other bosses in these organizations. I mean, yeah, they're part crime lord, but they're also like social worker to all of their underlings, trying to get them off of methamphetamine and all kinds of other shit.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, I mean it's like people who join the akas are usually not very you know, socially adept people, right, and so there was a kind of rationale and the head of the amagu Scubbies as well as we take people who are misfits, and we give them some discipline and we give them some training so they're not running amok and would you rather have them, you know, discipline criminals and disorganized criminals running around. And there's some truth to that as well. What is said is that people like the coach in recent years and and also a result of increasingly harsh legislation, have sort of disappeared. So the age where you know, the ri yaka who said, we won't do this because it's unethical, we won't do this because it's against the code, those guys have all faded out because you know, it's so hard to make a living. And then Nagalakai, you know, a lot of the people who were ethical, who insisted on following the old code have been kicked out because it's all about the money, you know, honor and no nobility. And you know what they called Nino the way of chivalry that the as supposed to his spouse, that's just an obstacle to getting things stuff.
Speaker 1: Let's jump back into Sigo's story for a bit, because you have a totally crazy story about how he has to cut his finger off and you talk about how it's kind of like some of the stories around this this thing is bullshit, and a lot of guys find doctors to do it for them, but Sigo decides he's got to do it himself and it turns into like a four alarm shit show in his kitchen.
Speaker 2: Oh oh yeah, yeah, this is a great story. And you know, his his wife, Juko Son, you know, when I asked her about it, she's just so very matter of fact about it, like like oh yeah, you know, like like you know, like telling a funny story about like maybe your husband, you know, getting a bad haircut. But basically he doesn't know how to do it, and so he gets like a sashimi knife and puts it on there, and you know, he and his wife trying to do it and they're not very successful. And then they, you know, try and do it with the cutting board and that isn't very successful, and if you know, you have to turn over the finger to do it, and it's just a bloody buddy mess. And at one point, one of his henchmen, who used to be in the band with him, you know, as they're dealing with this, finally chopping off the finger and getting this new and wrapping it in you know, what are they going to do. And it's this very dark moment in the household where there's blood all you know, there's a I don't think there's actually she said there wasn't a lot of blood. But you've got this finger, you've got the cutting board, you've got to wrap it up in things. Is that he takes the finger and he puts it in his nose and sort of shakes his head around with it to make everybody laugh, which they do. That's just you know, it is. It is bizarre. But I guess if you're there at the moment, there is something very comical about how hard it is to chop boxer chap. I think they're actually books written to show you how to do it the right way.
Speaker 1: So Saigo has this like interesting trajectory through the Yakuza. He's a methamphetamine addict, comes in and out of it, falls off the wagon. Coach tries to reform him, and he ends up getting kicked out right because he owes he can't pay his union dues as it were.
Speaker 2: Right right right, Yeah, union news. That's a great, great word. I always say association dues, but union dus is a better word. Yes, he gets kicked out.
Speaker 1: You want to talk a little bit about like how that happens and like the rise and fall of Sago.
Speaker 2: Oh sure, sir. So most people enter the akaza, that's what they call sumikomi, meaning like they go to the Yakuza Boston, like make me a man, and then they live inside of the akuza office. Is so like one to two years. They're basically answering the phone. They're you know, washing the back of the boss. They're following him around. There is secretary, there's caddy. They're answering the phones, and they learned the trade by living in the establishment, and they're given kind of an allowance. But Sigo started as a basically a motorcycle gangster running a motorcycle gang created his own right wing group that sort of functioned as a group shaking down local merchants and asking them to pay money to join his right wing organization or buy the periodical that the right wing organization was putting out. And when he decided to join the Innigala Chai because he had a dispute with another gang boss, he you know, he was entered like at a high level, like the equivalent of going to West Point right instead of starting as a private and working your way up, you know, from a listed you know, he'd already established his own organization. They welcome him. So he came in at like a captain memo.
Speaker 1: And he kind of like set up. He ended up having his own office and everything. What was the nickname they gave to his little kingdom.
Speaker 2: Oh, oh, well, I mean he had the nickname Tsunami because he was so violent and unpredictable, like a tropical storm that you never knew was coming. So he had his own little uh, his own little his own little Kumi there, you know, Sygogumi. So his own area in church there that was he has property and everybody, you know, uh, everybody in that area of paint Machid. The city was where he had most of his most of his power base. And as he rose up to you know, as you were up to the ladder. You know, the Eni al Kai is a very bureaucratic organization, so everybody wants to rise to the top. And at one point they had ten thousand organizations. So he became like an executive director, which is a very high position, and he was doing, you know, pretty well in the organization until a violent shooting in his neighborhood involving another yakaz member really brought down the police hard on the whole organization where he lived, and money started to dry up as people just said they wouldn't pay protection money anymore. And one of the things, you know, one of the reasons you're you join the Yakaza, right, is it's like a franchise, so you're paying basically for the rights, like nope. So the amaguchigubi here right, the name the organization, the symbol of the organization. It gets you money, it gets you power. If you don't have that organization. Marty Eric McDonald's about the Golden arches, and that costs money, and that costs everywhere anywhere between one thousand dollars a month to twenty thousand dollars to stay on good terms. The higher you rise, the more money you have to pay. And he wasn't able to pay the money. And when you're not able to pay your dues, they kick you out. And also he didn't answer his phone for a couple of days as well, which is a real bad one in the acaza. What is it like in the military if you're like on duty and you are on vacation, you don't answer your phone, you get in big trouble.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you'd be in some trouble if you're on duty and not answering the phone.
Speaker 2: Yes, okay, what if you're on vacation, you still get in big trouble if you like, you know, you're on.
Speaker 1: Question and recovery, and probably not if you're on vacation.
Speaker 2: Now, okay, Well, this guy's active duty, right, so he basically disappeared from duty for like seven days that he's pissed off and they kicked him out, and he just had a kid, and now he's got no revenue. And meanwhile, like, I am under police protection, but I'm really tired of like not being a feeling like I can't leave the house. And so I heard that he's you know, that he's out of a job. And at the time, if you read Tokyo More, I'm doing these due diligence work, right, so I've got a nice steady stream of money doing these corporate investigations coming in. And I also realized that he, you know, doesn't like go too Tatamasa, that he's not a big fan of him, and I'm like, you know, this is probably synergy. So we have a meeting at my house and I basically say, look, you know, you don't have a job and I need protection and I and also you have a car. I don't have a driver's license. What do you say? And so sort of reluctantly, but also because he didn't have much of a choice, He's like, okay, I will be your bodyguard and I will be your driver. But I have one condition. And I'm like, what is that condition? He said, I want you to write a book about my life and about the actors of because I am proud of who I am and what we've done. I want my son to know who his father was when he grows up. And so, you know, I agree with him on the condition that I get to write the truth about the aakaza and not another book talking about how there are these noble outlaws, you know, fearless men fighting for you know, traditional Japan. And he was okay with that, and that was the start of that book, was hiring him as a as a bodyguarden. He wanted me to write this this story about about the actada and his life and you know, what are the akasa and there you know what he saw as their decline from being principal people to just money grubbing organization.
Speaker 1: And so, how did the situation between you and go to end up getting resolved?
Speaker 2: Oh, it ended up getting resolved like this. Uh. I wrote an article that came out of the Washington Post. Then another article came out in the Los Angeles Times, and then suddenly it became I became the least of his problems. And I think that someone way up in the organization told him Mike, at this point in time, considering the bad press that would that it would bring, you, do not harm this journalist. And also, because I'm not an idiot, when I was writing the articles for the Washington Post, I went to one of his rivals in the organization in the same Amaguchi gum. Right, because it's the amagu Me is factional, right. I don't know if people understand that, Like it's not like the army, and it's not like it's not like the navy. It is a group of organized crime groups under the umbrella the Amaguchigumi. But even within that organization there are conflicts between the factions. So they Aamaguchi Gumi, the tatguomi Me and the hana busagumi. They all may be fighting for the same territory and revenue streams, even though they're under the same umbrella. And amongst these yachta, the bosses, they don't all get along, right. So you've got you know, sixty or seventy organizations within the amakachu me. So I thought of the one yachta to the boss who really disliked God and probably would like his turf and territory. So I went to him and I asked him for a comment for the Washington Post article. First I had to go to a tenant, and then I spoke directly to the public big boss. And as we were speaking, I also felt that there was this kind of communication between it which was like, you know, as they say in the yaka the world, the enemy of my enemy is my friend. And I was basically saying to him without saying it bluntly, is keep me alive and let me write my article and this will result in the downfall of your rival, and that church and Charryty is yours. And that seemed to have worked out very nicely because there was no contract on me after the Washington Post article came out, but the police still kept me under protection for another five years in total.
Speaker 1: And it's interesting how like got and also coach they have these like interesting deaths or like deaths and air quotes like you're never really sure did they die or did they just fade away? Where did they go?
Speaker 2: You know, Yakuza sometimes disappear, so the coach, you know, his death is shouted in the streamers like people aren't supposed to talk about it, and I think that's how he wanted it to be. Remember, go to Tamasa is famous for attacking this film director made me tell me Jusso, so you tell me Juso made this film in nineteen ninety two called the Gentle Art of Japanese Extortion and the Japanese titles meanable to All. And Godo's men attacked this director at his phone and they sliced open his face very slowly, so less stars. And a few years later in nineteen ninety nine, I think around nineteen ninety nine, the director allegedly committed suicide by jumping from the top of a building just as he was making another film that had connections to Tokumi. But one of Godo's guys named Mikuni told me you know on the conditions, on the conditions that I couldn't tell his name unless ten years have gone by for the time he told me, he said, yeah, well you know that director. He told me it didn't kill himself. He was taken to a roof and they put a gun in his face and they told him you could either jump and you might live, or you can stay here. We'll go off your face and they'll definitely die. And I assumed that he could. He told me that because he was hoping that would be his insurance policy. But he's been missing now for five years and nobody knows where he is. I mean, easy yaka that you can find his name in the newspapers, you can find his name in the yakasavand magazines. But he's gone now. Is he in hiding? Is he in the bottom of a building in Tokyo, buried in the cement base when they're a foundation of the building. I don't know. But sometimes yaka that really do fade away, like where did this guy go? And there's a lot of them. I mean, there used to be eighty thousand yachta to Japan. Now there's nineteen thousand, Like, so where did those others sixty sixty one thousand Yakas I ad vantaged to do they find new jobs? Are they in prison? What are they doing now?
Speaker 1: A couple sidebars I'd like to talk about before moving on. One of them is the North Korean connection with the part Chenko parlors. M can tell us about that.
Speaker 2: Oh sure, yeah, gee. I don't know how many of you listeners understand what pachinko is, but a well try and explain it as simply as I can. So. Pachinko is kind of like a pinball machine that's vertical, So you put in the steel ball press a button, ball goes in. If the ball hits the right targets, it triggers like an avalanche and the machine spews out these steel balls. The steel balls you can then take to a gift counter. You can get a gift or you can get sort of an exchange card, and you can go outside of the patinko parlor to another place and get it turned into cash. So that is sort of legalized gambling in Japan. Pachinko was something that the Korean Japanese did after the war, and it was a big amusement thing. But it looked like the Japanese government was going to outlaw them all together. So, you know, most of the Japanese dollers quit, but the Koreans kept kept running the patinko parlors and the Patica powers are still a big part of the gambling landscape today, even though it's you know, semi legal gambling. But remember Korea splits into Korea, South Korea, North Korea, and the Koreans left in Japan have to choose an alliance going to a lion. You know, am I going to claim citizenship in North Korea? Am I going to change?
Speaker 1: You know?
Speaker 2: Am I gonna claim citizenship at South Korea? And for those who have relatives in North Korea, the patinko parlors became indirectly North Korean revenue because if you have family members in North Korea and you're in Japan and you're living there and you're running Patica power, the North Korean associations will come to you and say, you know, your uncle, your sister, your brother, your cousin. You know they're going to starve to death unless you contribute some money to the homeland. And so for many years, pachinko industry has been one of the sources of North Korea's revenue.
Speaker 1: Does North Korea still make money by selling drugs and operating these parowers and so on in Japan?
Speaker 2: Yes, North Korea still has revenue coming. But as generations die off, right, you know you had You know, if you're a fourth generation Korean in Japan, you don't you don't know anybody who's still living in North Korea. You're you know, your your uncle, are you are, your grandfather or whoever is there. You know, maybe you've never met them. You have no idea who they are, so you don't feel compelled to pay, so that money keeps t windling. What North Korea is really making money now is is doing cracking, hacking cryptocurrency exchanges in Japan. I think they've done too now. I mean that it has been traced in North Korea. North Korea is really good at hacking, and they seem to be really good at hacking Japanese from the currency exchanges like bitcoin, d and man and there was another one just really recently. And I think North Korea, while it still makes math amphetamines, it's hard to get them into Japan. And they moved on to cyber crimes, which brings a lot more revenue.
Speaker 1: Another kind of subplot that you bring out in the book that I was surprised to read is about olmshun Rico, the cult in Japan that launched a I believe it was a saren nerve gas attack in the Japanese subway system, killed a couple people. You talk about how they had a secondary plot to use a helicopter as a dispersion device for another gas attack. Can you tell us a little bit about, you know, how you kind of uncovered that and reported on that.
Speaker 2: Oh sure. So almos Sinikio was this criminal organization and the cult that was an end of the world cult, apocalyptic cult, and they recruited people from universities and police and the laboratories, and they had this, you know, crazy view of the world. And they were also making meth amphetamine and wholesaling it to the to the aka, especially the Godo Gumi, because you have a bunch of chemists there right who can you know, can make a really good myth and meth brings in money. It's like it's the drug of choice in Japan. So they're producing the drugs, they're selling it to the akada. The conduit between the Yamagumi and the North Korea and North Korea was an ome sort of high free named Mudai. And you know, as the police are investigating home Chuinity kill and looking at what they're doing and getting a sense of these people are maybe producing nerve casts, they are going to plan a huge terrorist attack. Uh. One of the organized crime cops who was working on the connection between Mhini kill in and and the Akasa UH discovered that they had purchased a helicopter and that they and that they were planning to use it for something nefarious. Uh. Unfortunately, I think that they managed to make sure that the that they were never put soidning gas on the helicopter. So the sidning gas attack ended with these paper bags full of siding gas being put on the subways all around Ibia, which are then poked with holes and uh and and it could have killed thousands of people. Fortunately they didn't do the helicopter and disperse it over Tokyo. I don't know how successful that would have been.
Speaker 1: It could have been disastrous, yeah, I mean if it was an aerosol dispersal, it would have been much greater casualties.
Speaker 2: I think, Yeah, they were not make good at making aerosol. We know, what I don't know if I remember I put in the book or not, is they also had a subdivision in New York City, and we're looking about spreading it in New York City with the helicopter as well. That was part of their plans because because Old Shinekio had this you know, this makes no sense, but Old Shinekio also had this incredible anti Semitic view that the Jews were controlling the world economy and that was one of their problems. And they were like, there's so many Jews in New York that we should spread sun gas there using a helicopter to you know, to change the new world order. So that was amongst the crazy things that they had planned. And they you know, they have purchased helicopters from Russia, so you know, if they hadn't been stopped early on, they might have tried it. I think we were lucky that we ended up with the smaller number of casualists that we had, But these guys were crazy. Have you remember the series Millennium with Frank with Lyles Hendrickson, Ye, The X Files. Yeah, okay, so there's there's one episode, maybe the second episode called Jehenna, which was modeled after O Machinikill where you have people, they're telemarketers working for this strange cult and there's a scene where someone is microwave to death. Well, OLM Schiniko did that. They built a giant microwave. One of their dissenters they put in the microwave and they like fried him a lot. Yeah, these guys were insane, and they were working hand in hand with organized crime. And when, you know, when it was revealed that Ome had planned, you know, had was responsible to the sating gas attacks, and that they had tied the Amagikumi, you know, that's not good for the public image of the group. Right. So Murai, who was ahead of the one of the executives of OLM Schinko, was coming out of a press conference and he was stabbed to death by this you know, so called right winger. And the right winger, of course, turned out to be a yakuza, a Korean yakaza. And you know, you know, he always claimed that, you know that he did it out of patriotic out of patriotic reasons. But when Joe, which is the name of the of the person who assassinated were I When he got out of jail after serving his time for killing this home leader who had connections to the go to Gumi. Guess who he went to work for.
Speaker 4: SHINRIKOA yeah, really killing Yeah, because he he killed the one person that could have fingered the Yakov involvement with abcinity kill on his reward when he got out of jail, was going to work for Godo hood by this point retired, but at least he took care of his own.
Speaker 1: You know something you touched on there that I think I'll ask you because it's something that has always baffled me personally. As you mentioned that amshin Rico had this sort of anti Semitic bent to them, and I've seen that a little bit with other like right wing groups in Japan. This is sort of anti Semitism, and that baffles me because what in the world do the Japanese people know about Jews. I mean, we're not talking about Israel and Palestine, we're not talking about Europe, we're not talking about America. Like there aren't any actual Jewish people other than you maybe in Japan. So like, where the hell does this notion come from?
Speaker 2: Well, you know, there is there is a Senate, there's one or two synagogues. I don't know, you know, I mean it's like, remember the Japanese were allied with with Germany at one point.
Speaker 1: Yeah, okay, And so.
Speaker 2: I think there's always been this belief that, you know, first of all, there's a belief there's a weird respect for the Jews. There's a book called the Jews in the Japanese which points out the similarity between the Jews and the Japanese. So the one I had this kind of Japanese santasy world in which they admire like the way that this minority group is, you know, gained so much power or done so well financially, and there's so many sort of geniuses, or the way that they that they know that they consider the Jewish family structure very similar to a Japanese family structure. And that even you know, in this book postulating the Japanese or the Lost Tribe of Israel, all that crazy stuff, you know, it doesn't make any sense to me. So there's an admiration, and there's a fear, and and and one of the weirdest stories of World War two is that there was this idea that amongst the Japanese elite, some of the generals that they couldn't trust Germany because they weren't white, and at some point the Germans would turn on them. So they smuggled a bunch of Jews out of Shanghai into Kobe and gave them safe passage so that when when it came time to deal with Germany, that they would have Jewish power on their side. And that whole plan to smuggle them out of of you know, of German territories into Japan and Shanghai. It's called the Fugu plan because Fugu has you know, it's this poisonous blowfish, which if you handle properly, is a delicious delicacy. If you mishandled, can kill you. So, you know, the Japanese fascination our fear of Jews is never made any sense to me neither. But on my way on my way to the airport, there was a book like in the you know, best sellers, which was like, you know, how to succeed in business like the Jews, And I'm like, really, you're still putting this out in the book in five.
Speaker 1: Okay, this is as good a time as any to jump into. You've got to tell us the Japanese penis or the yakuza penis enlargement story that you told us about that went horribly wrong.
Speaker 2: Okay, So here we are. So here's your Yakaza van magazine, right, you know, always opens with pictures of the of the bosses going to meetings and stuff. I just got to show you that you that's that, that's important stuff. Right, this is the paparazzi part. Oh yeah, and there's always the penis enlargement stuff. So no Mura, who is the head of the kudo kai who I have met once. I think his name is. You know, in Japan, the last names are more important than your first names. He sees one of these fands, he decides to get a penis enlargement proced you're done. So he's getting done, and his nurse noticed that he's wincing, and she says to him, look at you with all those tattoos all of your body that are so painful to reproduced, and you can't take a little prick and she I set him and he's really really angry about it. So later his man attempt to kill her, and one of the reasons he was originally given a death sentence which I think was changed to life imprisonment on appeal was for the attention murder of this nurse. Oh my god, because he couldn't take it that he couldn't take the pain of the penis margin procedure.
Speaker 1: Uh, poor guy getting his pennis messed with.
Speaker 2: Ye Oh, yeah, get with. I mean it's kind of a low moment in Yakubai history. Yeah, I mean.
Speaker 1: So let's let's talk about Tokyo Noir, your third book that kind of follows up on Tokyo Wece and continues sort of your own story and experiences in Japan. So you get brought into a State Department study on human trafficking in Japan. How does that sort of come about out of your work as a journalist.
Speaker 2: Well, when I was working for the Human Edition, both we covered human trafficking, and I noticed there was a huge discrepancy between the way the Japanese police were presenting, you know, their efforts to combat it and what was really happening. And so I had, you know, I knew people in the State Department, so I would pull aside stories that I worked on, or stories were the Japanese press that showed, you know, because Japan didn't have any real laws prohibiting human trafficking or punishing the traffickers would only punish the women. That you know that there was a huge failure to deal with this problem even addressed. It's a problem, and I think one of the last things I wrote at the newspaper before I left was the International Labor Organization did a huge study of human trafficking in Japan, which the Japanese government paid for, and their conclusion was that Japan wasn't dealing with the problems. They were punishing the victims immediately deporting them, and the traffickers knew that they could get away with it, and that Japan was turning a blind night of the problem and needed to put serious legislation down on the books. Here's the thing that the Japan government told the IOLL, you cannot release the report, but we paid for it, but you can't release it. So I got a copy of it and we ran an article on it on the front page of the paper summarizing the main points of it, at which point, since the cats out of the bag, then they released the report and I also got a copy of it to the State Department. So after I had left, the newspaper and was back in Missouri to go to law school. The US State Department, which was under George Bush, had decided that they really wanted to pressure Japan into deal with the human trafficking problem on a serious level, and the only way that was going to happen was is if they could shame Japan into doing it. So they decided to do an investigation into the methodology of human trafficking in Japan, and they wanted plausible deniability, so they farmed it out to a nonprofit organization called Charitood International, which then farmed it.
Speaker 5: Out to another company in the Virginia area that was, you know, staffed by a whole bunch of XCIA people and SA people and FBI people.
Speaker 2: And then they asked me to be the investigator on the grounds and I said yes because it seemed very important. It seemed like if you could actually dig up the material on who was, you know, who was allowing human trafficking to thrive in Japan, what legislators were blocking changes in the laws, who was profiting from it, what was the collusion between organized crime and immigration that that could have a positive impact on the world. And the other thing that I liked about the offer when it came to my way was that they told me I didn't have to submit expense reports. Is that they didn't want any receipts because they didn't want to know how I got the information.
Speaker 1: Ever, right there, Yeah, that's that's the most like CIA thing ever.
Speaker 2: Well, I mean it makes sense, right, I mean, even though I am talking, we don't want a state department, right, I'm working on this. I mean, even though I'm talking directly to to these people and they know that I'm working on it, you know, there's still this sort of you know, goes to the group, and it goes to the consulting company, goes to the nonprofit organization, to the state department. Sometimes that I you know, it went directly because you and I both know the fastest way to get information about criminal activity is to pay a criminal. And this is where knowing THEACASA is helpful because in this world in which these people consider themselves the good guys, right, what is the lowest to the low. There's pedophiles with child pornographers as human traffickers. So if you talk to someone who's a yakada of any moral fiber at all, and you say look, dude, I want to know who in who in your outfit is running these kind of operations, and uh, and I could pay you. There's a lot of people raise their hands. There's some people who are like, I don't need any money, Like you know, these these people are awful, you know, like prostitution is one thing, but enslaving someone not paying it for their sex work, that's just awful. That's slavery. So that was, you know, an interesting job to have. And it turns out that one of the people who was receiving money and political favors from basically a lobby of human traffickers was so one of the ways that women were being trafficked into Japan at the time was the use of an entertainment FISA, right, So they would men is allegedly as entertainers and they get there, their passports would be taken away and they would you know, be threatened, you know, like we know where your family is, You work, and you do this job and it wasn't a job that they were that they that they signed up for, and then at some point they would be sent back. So there was this group called the Zen gay Ran, which was an association of entertainment groups, and basically they were a human trafficking lobby. And this group was having their annual meeting at the headquarters of the Liberal Democratic Party, which is the ruling party. So it would be like the Republican Party or the Democrat Party having a convention of human traffickers at their headquarters. And one of the politicians they were particularly friendly with and giving donations to was Shinzo Abbe, who later became the Prime Minister of Japan twice. And these were the kind of things that I was giving the State Department in my reports them, you know, after I left the newspaper while working for while working for them on this project, and so you know, there were a couple other politicians who were definitely receiving money to turn the other way in block legislation that would stop which was a profitable industry.
Speaker 1: What was the outcome of this study that you were a part of, Like, did it actually force some reforms within the Japanese legal system? Oh?
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, yeah. One of the things that happened is that the zen Geren dissolved. Prime Minister Abbe orto Abe disassociated himself from the organization. So this human trafficking lobby dissolved itself. The Japanese police began really enforcing the laws and putting traffickers away on a big on a big scale, and I think that the sort of backdoor deal. And I'm not privy to what actually happens behind back doors on this, but my feeling was that the United States said to Japan, We're going to rank you as low as North Korea unless you get serious about this problem, and you also need to clean up the problems that are then Gooya immigration because there was definitely one immigration office in which the girls were being trafficked through, like you know, with you know, they they clearly made no attempts to screen the girls to see if they were really in Japan on entertainment visas, and the restrictions for entertainment visas became very severe. So, you know, by two thousand and nine, I feel like Japan as a destination place for human traffickers had really sort of fallen off the map. So yeah, I definitely think could came out of it. And sometimes, you know, in that time, when Japan cared about what the world thought of it, they didn't want to be shamed and didn't want to be listed as like, you know, next to North Korea in terms of how they dealt with human trafficking. So of the things that the Bush administration did, you know, their efforts to curb human trafficking and to get you know, at least Japan to think it seriously, you have to give them a padle in the back. Well done.
Speaker 1: Talk to us a little bit about getting involved in the world of private investigations and due diligence and how this is sort of a segue for you from journalism.
Speaker 2: Oh so, you know, while I'm working on this human trafficking study, Japan starts cracking down on the yakaza in the stock markets. The yakaza had moved so much into the financial markets that in a white paper put out at a national police agency around two thousand and sixty two thousand and seven, they pointed out that the axisa made these huge inroads into the financial world and said, you know, the incursion of organized crime aka the yakata into Japan's financial markets threatens the very foundations of our economy. And so they really began looking at the links of yakuza like setting up front companies and doing stock market manipulation, are being basically venture capitalist and creating companies like our powering companies like Goodwill Corporation, which was one of the largest labor dispatch companies in Japan. And they also decided that they weren't going to give foreign banks or foreign investment companies, you know, a free pass. So one of the things that happened around two thousand and four is they basically took away City banks private banking license because they were involved, you know, in handling act of the money and they had either either no one in compliance or they had people in compliance and they were still doing business. And so that was kind of a warning bell to all these investment companies that were in Japan, big banks like like Lehman Brothers and Gold and Sachs that they needed to get their shit together are the financial services the agency would come down on them and maybe take away their licenses. And so as all this happening with this one investment bank and then later another one reached out to me and said, like, you know, we hear that you are someone who is well versed in this world and that you could spot what is called a front company, meaning a company that is you know, illegitimate or is running a fraudulent operation, or sometimes there are companies that are actually successful but using yakaza like tactics like blackmail and insider trading or getting seed money from organized crime. And so I was like, sure, you know, it sounds interesting to me. It sounds like what I've been doing is a reporter for many years. And so I started taking on these jobs. And not only was it pay very lucrative, it's really interesting to sort of, you know, learn to spot what is a front company, learned to see what is a company that is really run by organized crime. And that sparked the gamut from you know, coffee shop chains to pride octopus ball places to massage powers and sometimes they were running accounting firms, database companies. Uh. There was even this firm called you You Betoma, which was kind of Japan's Classmates dot com and a yaka is a boss from the Kodoka. I took it over. So why do you think a boss would want a yaka? The boss would want to take over classically Japanese equivalent of Classmates dot com, extortion, blackmail, Yes, exactly right, I mean, you know you've got the site had three million users, three million people, you know, and you know how people tend to misbehave a high school unions. I'm not me, but you know other people, it's kind of it's such a fertile fertile there's probably communications going on between people and these websites that they should definitely not have, and and that was very attractive to the e.
Speaker 1: But you did dip your hands into journalism a few more times during this time period. There's a very interesting chapter in Tokyo Noir about the earthquake in Fukushima, the nuclear power you know, meltdown that took place, and the yakuza involvement both in the nuclear power industry but also in responding to the earthquake and the resulting tsunami. If you can tell us about that a bit.
Speaker 2: Sure, so you know, this was actually the very first start of Cliver wrote for The Daily Beast. The Yakiza claimed to be humanitary organizations, and it is true that in times of crisis like the COVID earthquake in nineteen ninety five, that they're very quick to get to the scene of the of where the tragedy has taking place, and they have institutional awareness because unlike government agencies where people rotat out the same people have been there for years, so they know what to bring. They bring blankets, they bring food, they bring tents, sometimes they bring generators. They bring everything to the scene that people need. And when the Fukushima disaster happened, I was pretty sure that they would be very, very They would be the first responders because they know what is needed and they've got no red tape. So I was stranded in the United States when the nuclear accident and the meltdown and the tsunami hit, but I was in touch with people back in Japan, and so you know, I was asked him, what are you doing? And the Daily vis also contacted me and said, could you write something about what is happening in Fukushima, And I said, I can write you about what the Yakata are doing, which is interesting because they are going into dangerous areas with food and shelter and no protection, and so you know, I was like, well, you know, I don't don't think the Aakas are a positive force for Japan, but you have to give the devil as due. So they were certainly very active in going there and trying to bring peace and comfort to people in the time of need, and so but I also don't trust them because you know, they're yakuza. So I made them send me films and in you know, video of them up downloading supplies and receipts and other things so I could be comfortable with writing it. And we wrote it up for The Daily Beast, and that story went viral, and I think that also changed my relationship with some of the Akuza bosses as well in a very positive way.
Speaker 1: And I think you may point out in the book too, about how like one of the remaining sources of revenue for the Yakuza is the nuclear power industry or power industry in general.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's a dirty what they call in Japan a sun ky job. It's Keith and Night, it's can it's crushi, so painful, dirty, dangerous. I guess in Japanese it's like three d's. I mean in English is like three d's. So the Ya because a labor dispatch has always been one of their businesses, and so the nuclear power plants are supplied by the workers that are supplied by the acas are they always have been because they can find homeless people, They can find people who want to disappear, They can find people who will work for cash who you know, who don't have ID or who don't want to be identified because they're on the lamp. And that has been a sort of symbiotic relationship.
Speaker 1: And the companies need this because there's like a radiological contamination, like these are legitimately dangerous jobs.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there's a legitimately dangerous jobs. The amount of radiation someone can be exposed into a year is limited, and so you know, and there's very people who want to do that work. So the yakuza are basically where they're going to go. I mean these days in Japan, if you're in Akaza, you cannot join a sports club, you cannot go to a hotel, you can't get a golf course, you can't get a cell phone. But if you want to work in a nuclear power plant, door is open. And I've spoken to people at the National Police Agency like like you know, basically Japan's equivalent of the FBI, and ask them like why don't you do background checks? And and very honestly, these guys have told me, you know, of course we should do background checks because these guys are criminals and it's not a good idea to have them. Next two materials that could be used to build a dirty bomb or or do something nefarious. And if we do institutionalize them, you know, and if we and if someday we really do background checks on these people, that would be a good thing. And you know, what do you think would be the natural follow up to the question for that?
Speaker 1: I mean, so why aren't you doing it?
Speaker 2: Well? So you know the answer to that is, we're not doing it because if we do it, we won't have anyone to run the nuclear power plants.
Speaker 1: Right, so plants are not up the code to begin with. Is I mean, like you can't get normal union guys to come work this job because it's not safe.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean a lot of the plants are closed down, right, and we closed down after that nuclear disaster, but you have to maintain them, right. Some of these plants are forty years old. They weren't designed to last this long. They keep extending the line for them. Recently, no one was looking. I think Japan extended the ability to keep a nuclear power plant running for another ten years or something, so you could have plants running for sixty years that they're not designed to do that. I mean, Fukushima is such a disaster that everyone thinks it's over, But if you don't pour water into that nuclear core, you will have nuclear fission again. Like every day they're pouring water into the nuclear reactor and Shima, they've retrieved almost none of the core materials yet, and if they stop pouring water into it, you get basically another nuclear reaction. And so every day japanque's pumping water into the Fukushimi reactor core and every day that polluted water goes out into the ocean. Probably we're for thirty forty years ago.
Speaker 1: One of the big scandals I think you point out in the book is that the Fukushimia, one of the reactors there, melted down before the tsunami came. So it's actually the earthquake that caused it to melt down, and then the tsunami came afterwards.
Speaker 2: Right right within the data that was collected by the scientist named Kimura showed that within one minute of the of the of the big of the giant Tohuku earth that there was no water going to the nuclear core because all the pipes burst. It's a forty year old reactor, you know, pipes were bursting everywhere, water was coming out everywhere. There was no. If you can't get the water to the to the reactor, it's going to overheat because all the pipes are gone, are cracked and but busted. And you know, all the data indicates that it was a nuclear and there was the earthquake itself which caused that nuclear accident and one of the reactors. The story that the TEPCO Total Electric Power Company has, you know, insisted on is that there was an earthquake, then the tsunami came in twenty twenty five minutes later, and then that water knocked out the electric goods and that's why you had a nuclear mouthout. That is true for some of the reactors. Reactor number one, it was the earthquake itself which destroyed the piping, the forty year old piping in this reactor, a reactor that they had been worn many times before, was shouldn't have been decommissioned. And and what's scary is that all of Japan's new, you know, safety regulations for nuclear actors are predicted on the idea that it was a tsunami that caused the nuclear actor, not the earthquake himself.
Speaker 1: So before moving on to some other things, I'd like to ask you to kind of close the loop on go too and Sigo and tell us ultimately, where did both of these guys end up? As far as we know.
Speaker 2: Well, Seigo passed away during the pandemic of COVID, which was which was sad. And I think, you know, uh, I think he had a heart attack.
Speaker 1: After he got back into he got back into another yakuza group, didn't.
Speaker 2: They Yeah, yeah, you know, they offered him. They basically came to him and said like, look, you know your organization, which you know, Watch was a huge organization, would have cratch. We were douced, like, we need someone who has institutional memory, and we need you to come back and we'll give you promotion and put you in a position where you're insulated from going to jail. And he and he took the offer, and you know, as someone who had left but then faced you know, the usual discrimination that all yaktas have faced even after they leave. I mean, I can't blame him, you know, I mean, honestly, if I was him, and I had a choice of being you know, the driver and bodyguard for me, versus being a yachta the boss and having someone open the door for me and drive me around being treated like a pig shot, I mean ethical considerations as hide I'd probably say yes. I mean, you know, well, it was disappointed and we sort of had a falling out about it, but we made we mended, so we stayed in touch. And you know, I try and stay in touch with his son, you know, who's like all kids, he's really hard to get a hold of. But at least she's not his doing well good. And as for Godo, the last I heard with it, he is still still alive, getting a little senile. The United States listed him as a crime lord as late as twenty fifteen, even after he supposedly left the ACTUTA and become a Buddhist priest. But you know, we don't we don't interact, and you know, I can't say I wish him well, but at least he's not in my life anymore.
Speaker 1: And you've kind of mentioned a couple times through this interview about like where the Yakuza is today, what has been going on that all this legislation came in. And now if you're a member of the organization, you can't get an apartment, you can't get a cell phone, you can't buy a car. You know, people don't want to be like you're treated like a leper. What has what has the yakuza become today and where do you see it going in the future.
Speaker 2: It has become a a a traditional crime group that now will do anything it can to make money. The members still have to pay the association dues and they're increasingly turning to crime like fraud, robbery, theft, whatever it takes to make the money. Some of the groups still survive because they have a well disguised you know, racketeering going on. They're still getting payments under the table and providing the services that you know, yaka I have always provided protection of other things. I see them never completely fading out because if you completely get rid of the yakasa, there's so many cops who don't have a job, right, so they want to kind of keep them at this level of you know, of being powerless, but not completely fading away.
Speaker 1: The cops found a way to get paid.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, I mean, you know, you always have you need some kind of menace right to adjustify your.
Speaker 1: Existence, and so for you personally, I mean the sort of conclusion of Tokyo Noir, you become a Buddhist priest like how that came about? How did you become a holy man?
Speaker 2: Wow? I'm such a bad Buddhist priest, but I am keeping most of the precepts. Basically. You know, my landlord in college let me live in this Buddhist temple for you know, four or five years, and he has always been a supporter of what I've done and a good voice and good advice. He himself has in really bad health since last year, I mean, which is really sad.
Speaker 5: Uh.
Speaker 2: He had got diagnosed Arkinson's and very late stage Parkinson, so it's pretty severe. Anyway to a more cheerful story. Around twenty seventeen, I was working on a story about a young baker who had basically worked himself to death, and he was working for a very famous bakery. And I went to the funeral of the baker because his colleagues at work asked me to go. I was trying to write a story and it was a Soto's then Buddhist funeral, and I figured it would be really you know if to talk to the family so I complete the story. It would be great to have an introduction via the priest that officiated the funeral, So I went to see Joe Ginson, who is my zen master, and I explained the situation to him. I said, like, I'm working on this article about death by overwork. That's something that happens in Japan actually far too often. And I asked for an introduction to the priest who had officiated the funeral, and as we were talking catching up, he said to me in his Cravilie voice, like, you know, maybe it's time you stopped being a daredevil man whore and put your life in order and followed the noble path that you once were on when you were a student. And I was like, you know, maybe that's not a bad idea. And so we had this very long conversation and he basically said, like, you know, I don't have a disciple because I'm so cranky that no one can deal with me. And I don't have a son either, and you are the closest thing that I have, and it would be wonderful if you followed in my footsteps. And I said, after much discussion, I will think about it. And I said if I were to do this, like when would we do it? And he said you should pick a date that's significant to you. I said, well, we could do it on my birthday, which is March twenty eighth, and he would like, that's amazing that you know your birthday is Mark twenty eighth, And I said why and he said, because that's when I took my Buddhist priest vows. And I kind of gave him that look like, yeah, you like you're full of shit, but you know, I mean not in a sort of friendly, friendly way. And so he went up to his room and he pulled down this photo album of him when he was fifteen, and I looked at the year was the year show Off forty four, which in Western years, nineteen sixty nine, and I said, oh, like, wow, you became a Zen Buddhist priest on the day I was born. And he said, no, no, no, no, no, you were born on the day I became a Zen Buddhist priest. So it's karma, so you're meant to follow in my footsteps. And so I agreed. So so I took the vows and I'm still learning the ropes. This is very military, I guess. If you don't in my case, if I don't advance to the next level of spiritual development, if I don't rank up in the in my zend with just pretranking. By twenty twenty seven, I get kicked out either rank up or you are you lose. And next year I have this giant test in which I have to solve this metaphysical riddle and and and defend my thesis in front of what, in front of whoever wants to come to the temple. It's really hard, and so I'm learning to do that. And uh, you know, I can cook just vegetarian food. I can officiate some ceremonies. I'm very good at the one where you chase away hungry ghosts. So if you know someone who is plagued by hungry ghosts because there's someone in their life who hasn't moved on to the other world, I can handle that. I'm very good at that one.
Speaker 1: Do you do yakuza funerals? That's what I really need to know.
Speaker 2: No, No, I'm not doing it the funeral. I'm not doing funerals. I oh yeah, yeah, I ever see this interview. I'm not qualified to do a funeral yet, like you know, because I really don't want that business. But if it's something more like your boss died and you feel he's like he's haunting the office, like I can deal with that, but the actual funeral service now can't. Can't get them to the next life. That's not there all.
Speaker 1: Right, So tell us about where you are now in this new book that you have coming out.
Speaker 2: Oh well, thank you for letting me plug this. So this book, The Devil Takes Bitcoin is about covering the world's largest bitcoin exchange, which was in Tokyo and in twenty fourteen it collapsed with half a billion dollars with a bitcoin missing. And the CEO of this company was a French guy named Mark Carpalis. It's really unusual. French guy really loved loved Japan, loved cryptocurrency and basically what was the epicenter of the cryptocurrency world, Like, if you wanted bitcoin in twenty fourteen, mon Cox was the place to get it. But it's also just a chronicle of the history of bitcoin and how and how basically criminal activity made it what it was.
Speaker 1: It was an home by an enigmatic Japanese guy, wasn't it like the like this dude that we don't really know much about.
Speaker 2: Sukoshi Nakamoto allegedly right allegedly a Japanese dude. And that's when the book also gets into that because I didn't know, I didn't give a shit about bitcoin in twenty fourteen. I didn't even know what it was until this bitcoin you know exchange collapsed in Tokyo and it became like the center of the world news because the bitcoin prices plummeted. In the same year, Newsweek put out an article identifying, you know, Satoshinakamoto, the mythical, the mythological creator of this bitcoin. You know, this guy who created the cryptocurrency that's not worth billions of dollars. Newsweek identified him as this man named Dorian Satoshinakamoto living in California, and my editor at The Daily Beast, you know, called me up right, the editor chief called me up and said, if this is true, Newsweek has a tremendous scoop. But if it's not true, please kick their ass. And those two events sent me into four years of covering bitcoin. And it's such a crazy story. And what's fun about this book is it becomes a sort of personal memoir because not that I ever intended to be. Because as I was working on this story about this the theft of half a billion dollars worth of bitcoin, it turns out that there was someone else in the United States investigating this case who couldn't get any help from the Japanese police, and I was asked to smuggle the database of this exchange to the FBI in San Francisco. And that's one of the weird parts of the story which I did. I don't know if that's if that's a journalistically ethically okay thing to do, but you know, as I was working on the story and I began to think that maybe some of the people who accused were innocent, I felt like that was the right thing to do. It's such a fun book to write and also to read, because even if you don't know anything about bitcoin, you'll sort of be fascinated by how it evolved and how basically the Silk Road, which was an underground market where you could buy any any drug you wanted online, propelled it from nothing to a billion dollar current.
Speaker 1: And when does the book come out?
Speaker 2: Book comes out on October fourteenth.
Speaker 1: Okay, so we're like, we're like a week out now.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, yeah, you know, I'm happy to have a copy. This is it came out a little bit earlier in Australia. This is the who will cover actually lots of like the guy in the hoodie.
Speaker 1: So people can go find that on Amazon or wherever books are sold.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and if you want to, if you want to send me a bitcoin, like one tiny bitcoin directly, I'll mail it to you.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 1: I think we have some viewer questions for you. We'll get into here. What do we got thee from Mark Corbin?
Speaker 3: We have How do the Chinese tryad stand upark culturally when compared to the Akuza?
Speaker 2: Interesting, Okay, way out of my level of expertise. There's a guy in the Canadian in the Royal Mounties who's much better at this stuff. The Trands have some of the same ritual of the acas I do of succession ceremonies that elaborate things that were that where relations are cemented with rituals invoking the gods. But that's about the only connection they have. The triads and the actors that don't work very well together, except for this one period of time when carmakers in Japan needed to ah, it's not what it's not listy and batteries. There's a part of the the electric vehicle. It's a rare metal that is needed to make like a prius and stuff. There was a time when there was a shortage of that, and the Triots and the actors that were working together to smuggle that material into Japan. That's the only case I know. I'm not an expert on the Triods unfortunately, but they're working wlationship with the minimal. All Right, we got a couple more.
Speaker 3: How did you feel about the show's portrayal of your character? In Ansel al Agort's performance.
Speaker 2: An Sol did a really wonderful job. I trained in Akito with the Tokyo Metrial and Police Department, and I was never any good. Let me, let me get inoscar. I've never been good at martial arts. I liked him, but I suck. And Ansel trained with the same school of Aikdo, and he was really good in a short time. He did a really good job of getting in character. His Japanese is amazing. The only thing I didn't like about the TV series portrayal of me is that there's a scene where I'm doing meth with Yaku's a fan magazine writer, and I would never do meth, at least not knowingly. It's really bad drug, which in general, I'm not If people want to do recreational drugs. I think that that's fine with them, but I don't want to do them.
Speaker 3: Got one more, how Willy, Who's a plan to maintain their relevancy in current Japan.
Speaker 2: I honestly think that they're beginning to try and portray themselves as like a cultural tradition, like a Japanese living treasure. So I know you should preserve us because we're part of the lore of Japan. Were part of what attracts people to be here, like the queen, like the queen in England. Yeah, like the Queen in England. Right, I mean, I you know, this isn't really answering the question. I have so much material on the Akasa, Like I have their phone directories, I have comic books I have, I have, you know, some of the embroidered outfits they have, like the sake bottles that they use for their ceremonies. Like I've got all this stuff that I've collected over the years, like in a warehouse in my second home in Kioto, and I'm like, what should I do with this because it's you know, thirty years of Yakaza fan magazines like like no, I mean, I guess kind of opening Yakasa Museum if Japan will let me.
Speaker 1: But Jake, is there anything else that I haven't brought up that you'd like to talk about before we get going tonight?
Speaker 2: Oh? I was gonna ask you, what is your tattoo?
Speaker 1: I mean, you know, oh, I have I have a bunch of I have a bunch of weep tattoos. Uh. This is ghost in the Shell from Shiro, and so is this one and this one also, they're all from They're all Ghosts in the Shell.
Speaker 2: Oh. I love Ghosts in the Shell. That's such a great. That's such a It's my absolute favorite one. I've watched all seasons of it. Yeah, really bad one on Netflix.
Speaker 1: Oh yes, that was terrible. It was terrible. We're going to pretend that it didn't happen. But but standalone complex was great. The the film, the nineteen ninety four or five film awesome. Yeah. In the comic book the manga is also awesome.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Innocence like the second one. I think Innocence is the film title in English is a little bit about human trafficking as well. I mean, yeah, that that series has done some really interesting topics and things. Oh, I guess the last thing that we didn't talk about, is that, you know, what separated the Jeopanese Jakuda from other mafia groups is you know, is that they're because of their public presence, they've always had more of a code of honor than other groups. And and you know, and mostly their sociopaths, but some of them might at least respect to living up to the ideals that they profess. It's like, you know, a tiny fraction of them, but that is something that I think is unique about about the Japanese mafia. And also some of them write really great poetry. I like the poetry and the Acuda fan magazine sections is really funny and sometimes quite poignant. Who would have guessed?
Speaker 1: So there's some redeemable values there, some redeemable virus. So, guys, I hope you will go and check out the books Tokyo Noirakuza and Tokyovice, and the new book coming out Jake.
Speaker 2: Is The Devil Takes a Bit Quiet awesome.
Speaker 1: I'm looking forward to reading it. It sounds awesome.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I will make sure we get you a copy. Yeah, free of charge. It's very good.
Speaker 1: Thank you so, Jake, thanks for doing this interview and sharing your experiences with us. This has been awesome and having read your work, you know, back fifteen years or whatever it was, I mean, it's awesome for this doll come together and for everyone else out there. Thanks for joining us tonight and we'll see you next time.
Speaker 2: Yeah, thank you very much.
Speaker 1: Hey, guys, I want to tell all of you today about a new newsletter that we're launching that encompasses both the team House podcast, the eyes On podcast, and the high Side News outlet, which I run with Sean Naylor. The newsletter is going to be once a week. It's gonna come into your inbox and you're gonna get the most current podcasts on eyes On and the Teamhouse and whatever's topical or current on the high Side. So it's another way for us to get the information out to you as social media algorithms are pretty iffy and you never really know what you're gonna get. So this is a once a week email. It'll slide into your inbox and it will have you know the greatest hits of that week. It's really good checking it out. The website for it is Teamhouse Podcast dot kit dot com, slash Join Teamhouse Podcast dot kit dot com slash Join You go there and you enter into your email list, or you enter your email into the little thing on the website and you're good to go, and that'll be it. So we really appreciate your support and hope you'll consider signing up.
Speaker 2: Where's the link.
Speaker 1: The link will also be down the description if you're looking for it there, and that's Teamhouse Podcast, dot kit k I, t Hilo India, Tango dot Com, Backslash Join