Speaker 1: And now your host of Dodger Talk, David Vasse.
Speaker 2: Good morning, Los Angeles. The Los Angeles Dodgers kick off their championship season and their quest to defend their championship with a win on opening night four to one over the Chicago Cubs. Welcome to Dodger Talk David Vase, live at the Tokyo Dome in Tokyo, Japan. Phone lines are open. We have three lines open eight six six nine, eight seven two five seventy. We will hear from show Hey Otani. We will hear from manager Dave Roberts. But if you were listening during spring training, I saw something in Yamamoto. I saw in Eric confidence, an Eric swagger. I saw a very aggressive Yama Moto, even in bullpen sessions. And that's why I was very confident coming into this season that Yama Moto was going going to have a cy Young caliber season. And tonight was the first of that type of season You're going to see from Yamamoto. Five innings tonight, one urn run, four strikeouts, attacked hitters. When he got into some trouble, he went to his split fingered fastball, he went to his slider. He was tremendous tonight, the Dodger offense had a few different opportunities thanks to Imonaga's for walks, but they couldn't cash him in. And they're pitching won this scheme for them. Tonight, the Dodger offense was three for fifteen and with runners in scoring position and left eleven men on base. This was a Dodger offense without two of their three best hitters in the starting lineup. In case you missed it while you were sleeping, Mookie Betts was flown back to Los Angeles two days ago because of the stomach virus that ailed him before we left for Japan and now while he was in Japan. So the Dodgers sent him back just to try to get healthy and you know, drink some fluids. Dave Roberts said he lost close to fifteen pounds going through the stomach virus, so they got him back to LA. The other part of this is Freddy Freeman, who was in the original starting lineup but was a late scratch an hour before first pitch with what the Dodgers were calling left rib discomfort. I saw Freddy Freeman come out and take batting practice on the field pregame. I saw Freddy Freeman leave not smiling as much as he was when he was in the cage, and it turned out he probably tweaked something, and from what I've been gathering, the Dodgers were being extra cautious to scratch him because we all know Freddy wants to be out there. He's worked so hard to be able to be here in Tokyo, Japan, ready to play, managing that surgically repaired right ankle, and all of a sudden he takes a swing and feels something in his left side and probably wanted to try to play. That's got to be so disappointing for him, but you know, you don't want to mess with those type of things. One or two days out is much better than missing six weeks, because that's what you're talking about if it was severe. So I don't believe this is going to keep Freddy out too long from what the initial reports are. The Dodgers have to see how he feels when he wakes up tomorrow, but certainly you're not going to see Mookie Betts and now Freddie Freeman play in this Tokyo series. Eight six six nine eight seven two five seventy is the phone number. Let's head downstairs right now to hear from the manager, Dave Roberts.
Speaker 3: As I understand it the same rib that affected him during the postseason, not as severe. I thought we made the right decision not playing them tonight, and we'll see how he comes in tomorrow. So right now I'm not too concerned.
Speaker 4: I'm just kind of watching on Motor tod They reminded me a little bit of Vieler talking about, you know, having kind of fu behind.
Speaker 5: The ball a little bit.
Speaker 4: I mean, if he keeps, if he can, assuming he can stay healthy, how good can you be?
Speaker 1: What do you see you from?
Speaker 4: I mean his All Stars Cy Young, that type of stuff.
Speaker 6: Possibility.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think that last year to this year, the confidence, the conviction that he has and throwing the fastball in the strike zone is much He's much more convicted. And so you saw that tonight. And so if he can do that, obviously health, I see no reason why he won't be in the say Young conversation this season, Dave, have.
Speaker 7: You been able to kind of take a step back and think about how you know Yamamoto and Imaanaga both starting against each other tonight and performing the way that they did, like have of what that means for Japanese Major.
Speaker 3: Leaguers, Well, I don't think that there was a Japanese baseball player in Japan that didn't watch this game tonight, and I'm sure that you know they can see themselves in this situation. And like I've said before, is right now, is good as is as good as the Japanese players as a whole have been compared to Major League Baseball, and so certainly, watching Yoshinobu and Imanaga tonight, I'm sure that envisioned themselves in that same position.
Speaker 2: Manager Dave Roberts in the interview room here at the Tokyo Dome, validating everything that I told you about Yama Moto during spring training and everything that we saw tonight from Yamamoto. He threw seventy two pitches. The two pitches he threw the most tonight was the split fingered fastball and his four seam fastball. He threw those two pitches twenty nine times a piece. He mixed in the curveball. He had a little cutter, but it was a fastball, split fingered fastball night for Yoshi Yamamoto, who was very impressive, going five innings and limiting the Cubs to just one run and striking out four as the Dodgers defeat the Cubs four to one in the opener of the season on Opening Night and also get their first win of the season. It also was a big night for Sho Hao Tani, who has been the man of the hour. This is the reason and why we are here. This is the reason why Guggenheim is sponsoring the Tokyo series. It's about Sho Hao Tani. Everybody has a number seventeen Jersey in this stadium tonight. Everywhere you walk around Tokyo, Sho Hao Tani has a billboard marketing either watches or face lotion or some sort of icy hot Japanese style product. He's all over the place and it's about him, and tonight he delivered two for five, sparked that three run fifth inning for the Dodgers to bring them back. So I love that Yamamoto and Otani stepped up on the big stage tonight because we are here because of them. Eight six six nine, eight seven two five seventy is the phone number. Let's go out to the phones. Good morning, Los Angeles, Tony in Long Beach. You're on Dodger Talk Live. From Tokyo.
Speaker 8: Am I the first color of the new season.
Speaker 2: You are, Tony, you are officially.
Speaker 8: I got to add that to my resume. Long time listener, first time caller, coming out of Long Beach. I just wanted to say tonight the Dodgers really made me feel like I was waking up early to watch the Olympics or watch an opening World Cup match, for you know, as far as football, the soccer game goes. But man, I'm really glad that I stayed up. It was really fun to stay up with my coworkers after a late night shift at eleven and just watch the game, get a little drunken downtown full listen, and head home and watch the game. What a feeling, what a fielding?
Speaker 2: Yeah, what a feeling. Hopefully you took an uber, Tony, But.
Speaker 9: I mean, oh we did, we did, We did?
Speaker 2: All right? Great? I love it. Great to hear from you, Tony and call back anytime. Man. You know, Tony made a great point. It is like, I'm not going to say it's like the Olympics, but the Olympics aren't just sport. They're an event. And I mentioned this a couple of times last year, but it even means more this season with the Dodgers being the defending World Series champions, with their team loaded with another year of Otani and Yamamoto and now Roki Sazaki, who's making his major league debut tomorrow night. When you come to a Dodger game, whether it's here in Tokyo or at Dodger Stadium or in Cincinnati, it's an event. Tonight was not just a game. It was an event. It's been building for months and it's been culminating now in the last seven days since we've been here. This was an event. This was the event, and I'll venture to say this was the sporting event of the week. I know March Madness is starting up this weekend, but you can't top this. When you have the most popular player in Major League Baseball, you have the Patrick Mahomes, you have the Lebron James, a major League Baseball back in his home country and international superstar. This was an event in every sense of the word. And when you come to Dodger Stadium this season, it's going to be more than just another game. Eight six six seven, two five seventy is the phone number David Vase live at the Tokyo Dome in Japan where the Dodgers defeat the Cubs four to one on Opening Night. Let's go out to you, kaipa. Eric, You're on Dodger Talk.
Speaker 10: How you doing, Eric, I'm doing great day, Good morning, hey David. It's so fun to be a Dodger fan right now. Thank you to Googenheim.
Speaker 11: They keep us, you know, fighting every year. They give us all the players that we need. And actually I think we have a better team this year. And I'm kind of nervous for Freddy because he's such a baseball at it that we got a sav him from himself. Sometimes I think, well, I think he's gonna do great at the end.
Speaker 10: And yeah, Dave, thank you all right.
Speaker 2: Where did you watch this game or listen to this game? Eric? Did you wake up? Are you listening to me for the recap?
Speaker 9: No, Dave.
Speaker 10: Actually I started work at two am doing delivery and I'm actually headed to your neck of the woods delivery to the sketches store in Sherman Oaks Galleria, right across the street from your high school.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's right, Notre Dame High School right there, Woodman and Riverside, the great one, ad Eric.
Speaker 11: That's right, that's right.
Speaker 10: I've been watching it on my phone and listening to you on the radio on the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 2: Love It, Eric, love It. Thanks a lot for calling in and man, people like you really make the city what it is. And people keep asking me about Tokyo, Japan and what my thoughts are, what are my impressions of being here? And I gotta say, it's a great country. It's a clean country. It's a respect for country, and it's about the people. The people make this place great here, and uh, that's what makes la great. You got you gotta be great to make your city great and your country great. And the Japanese people are so respectful of each other. It's weird, maybe too respectful in an arena like this at the Tokyo Dome where you got sho Hey Otani coming back. The hero is back, but yet a very respectful crowd. You know how, when Otani comes to the plate for the first time at Dodger Stadium, I'm sure there will be a standing ovation. Standing ovations don't happen here. I saw two exhibition games between the Dodgers and Japanese baseball teams, and I witnessed Otani on opening night against the Chicago Cubs. Yes he got an ovation during pregame ceremonies and introductions. Yes he got a loud cheers when he came to the plate, But by no means was it racus. By no means was at a standing ovation. It was a very respectful fan base. And when he's at the plate, it is dead silent, like you're at the library. And when he hits a foul ball, you hear the oohs and ohs, and when he gets a base h oohs and ohs. But when he's at the plate, it's dead silence. Eight six six nine, eight seven two five seventy is the phone number. Dodgers defeat the Cubs four to one here at the Tokyo Dome on Opening Night, And I would be remiss if I did not give the Dodger bullpen their flowers, because Yamamoto pitched great for five innings, but the Dodger bullpen pitched just as well. They were perfect. The only blemish was Blake Trinan hitting a batter in the eighth inning. He had two strikeouts in a scoreless eighth, But Anthony Bonda, Ben Casparius, Blake Trinan, and Tanner Scott four innings of work, no runs, no hits, no walks, five strikeouts, and Tanner Scott got his first save as a Dodger. And as we were doing the interview, he was a looking for the baseball and be looking for the Major League Baseball authenticator so he could add that to his collection. But the Dodger bullpen was outstanding and young Ben Casparius, I think we all forget what that young man did last year, Game four, Yankee Stadium of the World Series. He's starting a game, yes, as a pseudo opener, but he showed no fear out there and gave the Dodgers more than they expected to help them manage their pitching staff at that point in time in the World Series. And he made this opening day roster. And I feel very confident that when the Dodgers come back to North America, Ben Caspirius is going to be part of this bullpen. He is downright electric, His stuff is electric. That guy's going to be a big part of the Dodger bullpen. Moving forward. Eight sixty six nine eight seven two five seventy is the phone number. Let's go out to Eric in Hollywood. You're on Dodger Talk. Live from Tokyo.
Speaker 12: Hi, Eric, Dodger, very shuit, David, Oh my god, good morning, Good morning to me. I think it's afternoon for your easy. But it joined the game. Man absolutely got up and watched it, and it was just it's incredible.
Speaker 1: Man.
Speaker 12: Twenty twenty four World Series Champion, Game one, Section forty three, Row one seats fifteen sixty seventeen eighteen to nineteen. One of the greatest experience ever in my life. Bro I Man, I have never seen so many people cry in Game one, like after the holy emotion and everything. It was just one of the greatest moments of my life man as a Dodger fan.
Speaker 8: Man.
Speaker 12: But bringing it to today's game, no, Freeman, no bets that we killed these guys. Of course, it's that comes down have a arsenal like we do. But man, it's so it's such an I'd kind to be a dodgor fed, right, I'd always is. But man, we're looking great, David, We're looking great.
Speaker 2: Don't peak too soon. It's only game one, Eric, But yes, things are looking good, and yes they're a very good team and have a very good chance of being the first team in baseball to repeat his champions since the Yankees Jeters Yankees twenty five years ago. But look, there's a long ways away. As we have seen in the last twenty four to forty eight hours, one swing of the bat in the cage, one stomach virus can certainly change the complexion at the absolute wrong time. So let's just pump the brakes and all that and enjoy the regular season before we start talking about World championships again. These Dodgers have not even received their rings from a year ago, so I love the enthusiasm. Eric is one of the most enthusiastic callers we have. But it's game One's game one. As Charlie Steiner and Rick Monday like to tell me, don't peak too soon. And the Dodgers certainly understand the marathon and how to manage it. And that's the reason why they said, hey, Freddy, it's not a good idea to try to force this. We need you. You're gonna sit down and you're probably not going to play tomorrow either. But it was good to hear Dave Roberts say he wasn't that concerned. Eight six six nine eighty seven, two five seventy is the phone number. We have two lines open, as you're driving to work, you're driving the kids to school, or you're making deliveries like our guys out there making the city go out there in Los Angeles. We want to hear from you and where you listen to this game today eight six six nine eight seven two five seventy And just to clarify the time difference, it is ten fifty seven pm on Tuesday, March eighteenth. Here in Tokyo, Japan, we are sixteen hours ahead of Los ange Angeles. And after the game tomorrow, the Dodgers are going to experience two Wednesdays in one. They will leave on Wednesday after the game tomorrow night, and we'll return to Los Angeles on Wednesday evening and have dinner back in their homes. So that's that's the unusual circumstances. In some ways, I think it's like time traveling, right, everybody wants to time travel. Well, they did it last year from Soul, Korea back to LA and the Dodgers are going to do it again from Tokyo, Japan back to LA. We're going to take a time out here on Dodger Talk when we come back. Your phone calls at eight six, six, nine eighty seven two, five seventy. We will hear from Freddie Freeman, We'll check in with Jose Mota, who's back for another year, and we'll hear from you as the Dodgers get the victory on opening day in Tokyo, Japan, four to one on the world champion Los Angeles Dodgers Audio Network.
Speaker 1: On air at AM five to seventy, online at AM five seventy LA sports dot com, and available by podcast on the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 2: This is Dodger Talk with David Bassin, and the pitch on the way is swangaa. That is rope to left. That's a base hit. O Chani comes underscore. The Dodgers lead at four to one. Rick Monday and Tim Nebett on the call for opening night of the Tokyo series, and the Dodgers get the win on opening day, four to one over the Chicago Cubs. David vasse with you until seven point thirty this morning here on a five seventy LA sports. Hope you're doing well. Be safe out there as you drive to school or back home, or to work, wherever you're going. Be safe out there on those morning traffic roads. And the Dodgers certainly were feeling good tonight here in Tokyo, while you may have been sleeping four to one victors with Yoshi Yamamoto leading the way with five innings tonight, allowing just one earned run with four strikeouts, and the bullpen took over from their bullpen roll call Abanda, Casparius Trinin and Tanner Scott four scoreless innings with five strikeouts. They were basically perfect. Blake Trnon hit a batter, that's the only base runner they allowed tonight to help the Dodgers get the four to one win. Here at the Tokyo Dome, Daniels Jewelers presents the home run Forecast. Go to AM five to seventy LA sports dot Com type in the keyword home run for your chance to win a fifty dollars Daniels Jewelers gift card predicting the number of home runs in the next game. Daniels Jewelers own the Dream. Eight six six, seven, two five seventy is the phone number. We have one line open. And before we get back to the phones, we got to hear from the man of the Hour show, Hao Tani who collected the first hit for the Dodgers in twenty twenty five. He was two for five, he scored two of the four Dodger runs, and he was having a great time and has had really a phenomenal time here coming back to Tokyo. And here was showhy with Harold Reynolds on MLB Network.
Speaker 13: Well Game one down playing at home? How exciting was it to play at home tonight?
Speaker 14: Can't on this kettle. I don't know, I don't get. I can't just this kids can't just don't give us.
Speaker 15: I was actually pretty nervous. It's been a while since I was nervous, but today definitely felt it.
Speaker 13: I've been nervous too. Of my billboard. I was on every billboard, every commercial.
Speaker 2: Uh, that's gotta be different, right, yep? Man on your home.
Speaker 14: Hid to coet, the the sold this Shipa's.
Speaker 15: Just a very unique and environment, a unique situation where I do feel that the fans are expecting me to get some hits. So that was a little bit different.
Speaker 13: So, Uh, every time you go to the plate, the picture gets ready to throw and it gets silent.
Speaker 2: I've never seen or heard that before.
Speaker 1: Do you recognize that when you're hitting.
Speaker 14: Soul is mouse again? I might talk about.
Speaker 15: I didn't notice the silence, although you know, it didn't really bother me when I was at the plate, but I did recognize it and had to adjust a little bit.
Speaker 13: All right, last question, Last time we saw you had the injury. Today got a couple of hits. I saw you slide, no problems the shoulder, feel good, everything feeling good.
Speaker 15: Is she.
Speaker 14: Of course not condicted a day.
Speaker 15: The body feels really good. I was able to slide, run around with no hesitation. So I think we got the first game out of the way and I should be able to enjoy the game tomorrow.
Speaker 2: I appreciate time.
Speaker 9: Thank you.
Speaker 2: There he is show Hey Otani with Harold Reynolds on MLB Network, And like I mentioned during the Clubhouse show, I thought that was a really candid answer from Otani to say he was nervous. I've never heard him say he was nervous, and I saw him in the Dodger clubhouse. We exchanged a few different words, a couple of jokes, but yeah, you could tell it was different for him. And maybe you know when I saw him, uh, you know, you don't expect a guy like Otani to be nervous, but yeah, there was a little bit different vibe. About him, even though it was Opening night, even though we were in Tokyo, you felt like there was a different vibe. He wasn't as loose as I've been around him, even in spring training and going back to Dodger Fest and different times last year. So that was really I loved hearing that from Otani, and Herold does a great job of bringing out that side of players. Eight six six seven two five seventy is the phone number. Dodgers beat the Cubs four to one on Opening night without Mookie Bets and without Freddie Freeman. Freeman was a late scratch tonight because of left rib discomfort. I observed him taking batting practice and it seemed like he tweaked it during BP, and the Dodgers just said, you know what, let's not risk this. You'll get tonight off. And I would I know how much Freddy wants to play, but the Dodgers at this point need to protect Freddy from himself and just get him back to LA and with the time off before they open up at home against the Tigers, just get them right for that and get them right for the North American part of their schedule. Eight six six two five seventy is the phone number. Let's go back out to the phones. RJ and Santa Clarita. Good morning, you're on Dodger talk line from Tokyo.
Speaker 10: Hey, good morning, Dave.
Speaker 16: Good evening for you there. I'll good weather over there.
Speaker 2: Everything's great.
Speaker 9: Yeah, yeah, where did you listen to this game?
Speaker 17: Oh?
Speaker 16: I actually watched it at my house. I stayed up and watched the game. I never missed. I haven't missed a Dodger game, and like, I didn't even know how many years, maybe like fifteen years. So I always stay up to watch the games, even though it's three in the morning. And they looked very good. They looked very good today.
Speaker 9: Yeah, we think it looked better.
Speaker 2: They looked good. I thought their offense could have looked better. They had opportunities with runners in scoring position that they did not cash in. But their defense was really good and their pitching was outstanding.
Speaker 16: Yeah, one depresion was very outside. I can't wait to see Sasaki on the mound and just for the rest of the season, this could be a great season.
Speaker 2: And yeah, I'm with you, Urjay, I'm with you, and thank you for the phone call. Eight six six two five seventy is the phone number. Yeah, Roki Sazaki, the trifecta of the Japanese superstars for the Dodgers, is going to make his Major League debut right here at the Tokyo Dome tomorrow night against Justin Steele and the Chicago Cubs. Now, just a reminder, you know, Otani played a lot of baseball here at the Tokyo Dome, but he is from a city just north of tokyo Oshu City. That's where Otani is from, and none of these players are from Tokyo. But obviously a lot of major accomplishments as professionals in this dome for Yamamoto and Otani, So in some sorts, it is a homecoming professionally for them to come back here where they won the World Baseball Classic O Tani struck out Mike Trout and Yamamoto winning the Triple Crown of pitching his last two years here in Japan. And I have a feeling that if he stays healthy, he has a very good chance of winning a National League Cy young this year. After what I've seen in spring training, not only in the Cactus League games, but also behind the scenes, Yamamoto is a different guy. He's more comfortable he's more confident, he's got a lot more swagger about him, and I'm looking for a big year from him. Let's go out to Morrow Bay. Alex, You're on Dodger Talk Live from Tokyo.
Speaker 10: Hey, Dave, thanks for.
Speaker 18: Taking my call.
Speaker 15: Man.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I just wanted to piggyback a little bit on what you're saying.
Speaker 9: I think.
Speaker 5: Yamamoto has a huge chance to maybe collect a cy Young I might or might not have put a little shudder down on that before the season started.
Speaker 2: There you go out, you were listening.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I mean, he's just you know, he's he's just different. He's just so composed out there. I thought he had a great rookie season, you know.
Speaker 19: Uh.
Speaker 6: I thought he was a little underrated. Actually even in the in the playoffs, I thought he held he held through for us. He was a solid foundation piece.
Speaker 2: No, look, he was a different guy. He was a different guy, Alex. You have to acknowledge the fact he was a different guy. A year ago at this time, he got rocked by the Padres. He he looked like he needed smelling salts in Soul, Korea last year, and he had his coming out party at Yankee Stadium, not in the World Series, but that first weekend of June where he shut down the Yankees, and unfortunately after that was on the shelf for almost three months. When he came back and after that first start in the NLDS against the Padres, that's when things changed for Yamamoto. So it wasn't smooth sailing for him last year by any means.
Speaker 6: I agree, I agree, and I believe Sasaki. I know he has electric stuff, but he might go through something similar, so I think we should team our expectations.
Speaker 9: He's gotta be great, but he's he's a rookie's twenty three.
Speaker 2: I mean, you know, let's he's twenty three, and yeah, I'm with you, Alex. It's a six year situation with he's under team control for six years and the Dodgers when they signed him on a minor league deal basically, I mean, he did not get three hundred million dollars. He got what you get when you sign an international player, which is, you know, in baseball terms, not that much. So it's not like they broke the bank for him. And I would expect Sazaki, similar to Yamamoto, to have some rocky starts in the beginning of the season. And by the end of the year, hopefully he improves and develops that third pitch. Thanks for the I won't call Alex, appreciate it. Let's go out to our nation's capital, Ben in Washington, d C. The Dodgers will be there on their first road trip after this Tokyo trip.
Speaker 18: I'll be there two days, all three games of course.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, National Spark and.
Speaker 9: Lovely Ballpark.
Speaker 14: Good to talk to you again.
Speaker 9: Last time I called it was the Korean Series.
Speaker 18: So love to wake up and watch some baseball.
Speaker 2: So you only call when the Dodgers are on this side of the world.
Speaker 18: Well, you know, it's specially but I wanted to ask between Yallamoto and Otani, and especially Alamoto. Uh I didn't feel like I don't know.
Speaker 9: As much of his backstory.
Speaker 18: What's it like for them going back to their home country, what was the fan reception like? And what did it mean for Yawamoto to get an opening day start essentially in his home country.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, honestly, Ben, I was curious to see how Otani would react to the demands of his time here. But everybody I've spoken to around the team, he's been great. Whenever needed, he's had a lot of different of his own business meetings out there. He hasn't had any public appearances, neither has Yamamoto. That would just be completely You could not contain that if you try to have one of these guys do a public appearance. But they have all embraced it, and they have said continually, which goes along with the respectful Japanese people. They just want their teammates to have a good time in their country. And I'm not sure you know this, Ben, but it was talked about how Otani arranged a player's only team dinner. It turned out to be sushi catered to the team hotel. He posted photos and videos and Keiky Hernandez said it was the best meal he had here in Japan. So they've been great hosts, and look, it's all about them. That's the reason why the Dodgers are here. That's the reason why everybody's wearing Dodger blue. That's the reason they are the reason.
Speaker 18: It's an amazing, amazing treat. Looks like hope you enjoy it.
Speaker 2: All right, thanks, Ben, appreciate Yes, I have thoroughly enjoyed my time here in Tokyo. Great food, great people, great sights, A great experience all around.
Speaker 15: You.
Speaker 2: Just hope that Freddie Freeman is able to come back after his experience in the batting cage today and be able to come back stronger with some time off, we'l see what the Dodgers decided to do with Freeman, who was a late scratch with left rib discomfort. Speaking of Freddie Freeman, I had a chance to catch up with him yesterday and I mentioned this during spring training. I'll mention it again. I will never get tired of hearing about where you were when Freddy Freeman hit his walk off Grand Slam in last year's Game one of the World Series. I talked to Freddy about that and just how he has reacted to the fans that obviously have been showering him with adoration. And this past off season, how much have you had time to reflect? And is tonight the night that you officially turned the page?
Speaker 4: I mean I've still reflected. I mean all the spring training, all the fans, it's every single day they were out there letting us know how appreciative they were of what we did for last year and getting a championship. I don't know if you can officially turn the page until we get back home and do that for I mean, we got to experience it with the Dodger fans back at home and get our rings and put the banner up. We can still focus on today and the Cubs and still be appreciative of what we accomplished. And I know our fans are excited for us to get home and play against the Tigers and get the rings and the banners, so we can still focus on today, but look forward to getting those that opening weekend at home.
Speaker 2: Hey, I got breaking news for you. You signed a fans calf I believe at Dodger Fest. Yes, I did. The fan has been dming me on Instagram the tattoo that complimented the signature. So I got to show that to you. If you have not already seen it, I have not seen it. I will show it to you after this.
Speaker 4: I can't wait to see it. That is crazy.
Speaker 2: The first time ever.
Speaker 4: I think this is the first time it's been a I've seen about four tattoos now of me on people. It's pretty cool, you know, just.
Speaker 2: To put me on them forever.
Speaker 4: Hopefully hopefully they when they're a little bit older, they still like me.
Speaker 2: That was Freddie Freeman and You can hear the full conversation on the iHeartRadio app. And I did show him the photo that this fan sent me on Instagram of the tattoo of Freddy's pose after he hit the walk off Grand Slam with his signature tattooed on his calf, and Freddy was blown away. And I just let Freddy know, no matter how much I like him and how much I respect the way he plays the game of baseball, I would never go through that pain. Eight six six nine, eight seven two five seventy is the phone number. Dodgers beat the Cup four to one here at the Tokyo Dome on opening night. Let's head to Los Angeles right now, back where Jose Mota is. He's been to the Tokyo Dome many times. It was certainly the Japanese stars stepping up tonight for the Dodgers. Yamamoto and Otani.
Speaker 9: Jose Well, first of all, Dave, great to be back with you and all your wonderful fans and listeners. You've been doing outstanding job from Tokyo, and there's no doubt day that you know, as you mentioned about heroes coming home and admitting there's so much pressure on them. But also what I've noticed that most is and even talking to you know, all three of those guys, four of those guys, including Dave roberts Is, they really wanted to make the most of this opportunity to show their talents, to share what they're experiencing in the Bayo leagues. And obviously I'm talking about Yamamoto, Oltani, Sasaki, and Dave Robertson. It's been fabulous. They're welcoming the accommodations. Is you know that they are so wanting to please people, and what you experienced over there is just something that the players themselves have experienced now, but they wanted to bring that to their teammates and obviously to the Dodger fans too, and they've done a very good job of that.
Speaker 2: Well, you've broadcast games for Major League Baseball during the World Baseball Classic here at the Tokyo Dome. What can you tell us about this place? Because I got to be honest with you, Jose, I was expecting it to be a lot more electric during the game, similar to what you see like in Miami during the WBC. But it's a very respectful crowd, very silent crowd when the action is going on.
Speaker 9: It is a very silent crowd when like the home team. Well, let me put it this way. You know what the difference between the exhibition games in this game right, Well, during the exhibition games against the Tigers and the Giants, you saw the chant and they hear the tan team they have for each individual player on that particular team. Especially the Tigers fans are i mean racus and wild and very loud. Now, what I did notice broadcasting games in Tokyo was that sign of silence and respect. Because even in batting practice when shoei Otani and you know, the big guns were taking VP for Team Samurai Japan back in WBC is ten thousand people and they're for batting practice and they were silent. They're waiting for the result to do the uzanas. And the other thing was when Shoe was on the mound himself pitching in that dome, total silence between pitches is almost like and I asked one of the fans, like, what is this happening and where's it come from. They're like, we don't want to break their concentration and at the same time, we want to hear the ball pop in the glove. And when it comes down to batting. We want to hear the bat crack us as fans, so it goes back to a cultural thing and respect. But overall it's just a marvelous different experience. But there's no doubt it's much louder when two local teams were playing because now they have the drums and everything else that goes alongside that.
Speaker 2: I know, you have to play the game, so they but it really hits you pretty strongly when you're here in person and you have guys at the starting lineup introduced and they're lining up on the third and first baselines, respectively. How much of a mismatch is this with the Dodgers and Cubs when you look at their lineups, and how many times are we going to see this in series where the Dodgers are going to overwhelm the opponents with talent.
Speaker 9: Well, it's going to happen often because the talent that you have on the field and the talent that you have obviously on paper. And the best thing about this, you know, World Championship team, is the fact that the expectations were high last year, they're higher this year too. But they can back it off now and say, hey, we've we've got it done. We know exactly what it takes. And one thing they I know, they don't take for granted, Davis. They know it's a game and that on paper they're not gonna win anything. But they take pleasure and known that they're so talented and that every time they're introduced, every time they go to a new city. And I was laughing at this the other day somebody. You know, people complain about the Dodgers and the spending and this I go, well, just give you the example of the Oakland. A's okay, they're drawing two thousand, three thousand people, you know during the season, right the dollars show up, it's thirty plus. So as much as you want to complain about the Dodgers and what they've done with their money and the resources, how well they've employed it, you also benefit as a visiting team when they come in as a visiting team because they bring people in. It's great for baseball. So it's fun to watch them to be on this side, because being on the other side, it's no fun because you know, in order for you to make a statement, you got to do it on the field, and this team is about making sense it's on the field because of the talent, and how will they approach a game mentally.
Speaker 2: Jose Mota is joining us from Los Angeles. David Vase live in Tokyo at the Tokyo Dome after the Dodgers defeat the Cubs on opening night four to one, and we saw, obviously Yamamoto and Otani step up on the biggest stage with the brightest lights here at the Tokyo Dome for a regular season game. How do you expect Roki Sazaki to perform tomorrow? He had two really good outings to end the Arizona part of spring training. How do you see this going tomorrow? Do you believe he's going to be overwhelmed by just the focus on him?
Speaker 9: I don't think he will be, because, as he mentioned, he's played in the big stage before, and you know, when these guys play for their country, I mean, there could not be a heavier weight on their shoulders than to say this is effect out of us as a country and as a team. But yeah, this is new and is facing big leagu hitters. This is coming in almost as a visitor. But I just hope that he treats it as another extension for him for spring training mentality wise, not to treat it that way in the terms of competitive wise, but just just say, hey, I've done so well in spring training. Let me just not forget about where I'm at and don't change your mentality, stay on the attack side and all that your stuff plays well, you know exactly how to pace it. And obviously because of Yama Malta and so well tonight, he's got something to follow too. Alongside with the fact that he's got a better scount report. Now, I'm because because of the way that Yama multi pitch against him and the way the rest of the book, from which is marvelous approachials hit or so hopefully he'll enjoy it and just keep it simple, have fun with it, because this is one and the last opportunity to have it. Just you cannot beat this, you cannot copy this.
Speaker 2: You got you make it sound so easy, you make it sound so easy.
Speaker 9: On this side, it is because I'm not playing anymore.
Speaker 2: Thanks a lot for checking in, Jose. We miss you and we'll see you, uh next week for the Freeway series.
Speaker 9: I am a little bit delous you're there.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know I need you to be my guide I needed a guy.
Speaker 9: That's all right, enjoy yourself. You're you've earned it, our friend, take care.
Speaker 2: Thanks, okay, Jose, there he goes Jose Mota, part of the Dodgers Spanish radio broadcast, who has welcomed in a new partner, Luis co Chito Cruz with Pepe and Ingez and Jose Mota. Jose will check in after every game the rest of the season as well. Eight six six nine two five seventy is the phone number. Sazaki making the start his major league debut tomorrow night, and just learning about him and learning his pitches, because we all are learning his pitches and what they look like. And you hear you know, the first time I ever heard a pitcher describe his different style of pitches as shapes and shaping pitches was Rich Hill and talking to Bobby Miller and Blake Snell and a few other pitchers in Arizona after Sazaki's last appearance. I just was trying to figure out how his split fingered fastball shaped, because we all know the Yamamoto hard split fingered fastball dives off the plate right, and Sazaki throws that, throws a hard splitter, it dives down, but he also shapes his split fingered fastball in a different way. That's like eighty six miles an hour up in the strike zone. And they just told me it's like it has negative spin rates. So they were trying to compare it to the characteristics of a knuckleball. So it is it's not a slider. It's not a knuckleball. It's a split fingered fastball because of his grip, but he's able to shape it differently. Keep an eye on that tomorrow. When you see an eighty six mile an hour pitch up in the zone kind of floating up to the plate, it's not a slider, it's not a sweeper. It's it's a split fingered fastball, but a different way of him shaping it. And that was explained to me by those young bucks out there at camel Back Ranch that know a lot about pitching. Let's go out to Altadena. Rich you're on Dodger Talk. Good morning, Good.
Speaker 19: Morning, David's so good to hear your voice again and really excited about the this coming season, and you know, it's it's such a blessing to have, you know, the the upcoming season underway. I got up at four and the more actually awoke. I'm in a hotel, as you know, I was in Altadena, and of course we got burned out about probably fifteen of my form of church members and current people that we pray with rosst homes and so I'm sorry to hear that concept. Yeah, we got a real team concept going here, and you know, it's like we're rising from the ashes, though I know depending on God here, but.
Speaker 2: I love the Dodgers are going to, uh, the Dodgers are going to find a way to lift your spirits and let you escape from reality this season. Rich, They're gonna let you find a way to uh to kind of put all that behind you for three hours and hopefully we see you out there at Dodgers Stadium. But we're all with you, Rich, We're all with the city of Altadena, and we're all with the Pacific Palisades as well. So thank you for calling in. Really appreciate it. I'm going to go, oh, I'm just gonna go rapid fire here. We got calls coming in, uh calling ye balancing so much back there in our Burbank studios. I got to give a shout out to my kids, Adriana and Joseph. Their mom is driving them to school right now. This is about the time that I do that. So good morning to everybody in Los Angeles. You're defending World Series champion Dodgers got a four to one win on opening night here at the Tokyo Dome. Let's let's hit Kirk in Santa Monica. You're on the air right now, Kirk live from Tokyo. You're on Dodger Talk.
Speaker 9: It was a lot of fun going to the Cosm to see this game.
Speaker 2: You were at the Cosm.
Speaker 9: Yeah, we were at the Cosm.
Speaker 20: I'd never been there before, but man, we got there. They played the national anthem and the place was rocking. The only problem is we didn't get a hit for the first four and a half innings. Did it calmed everybody down? And either so the guys, the guys that were drinking at two o'clock in the morning, they show up the first four innings put them to sleep. But it was a great experience, what a great time.
Speaker 9: It was really fun.
Speaker 2: I'll leave it at that, all right, Kerk, thanks a lot for sharing that experience. Yeah, I heard the Cosm was showing this game and they're going to show game two tomorrow. That's definitely an experience from what I understand. I saw the video of everybody watching the Dodgers win the World Series there. I hope to get there soon. Let's go out to Marina del Rey. Let's hit Nancy. You're live on Dodger Talk from Tokyo. Hi, Nancy, Hey, David.
Speaker 17: Thanks very much for the show today and everything. I listened to a lot of the game last night. I know it's late there for you guys, but I'm one of those kids that grew up falling asleep on their transition radio little earpiece listening to the Dodgers since I was about nine years old. So my home was lost in the Palisades fire, and I just want to say, it's a real inspiration to have a Dodgers backlog.
Speaker 2: Oh I know, Nancy, it's a tough time for you, and that's what's great about, you know, baseball and sports. It gives us that escape. And when you have a team like the Dodgers, Nancy, They're going to bring a lot of smiles to you and a lot of people that are obviously struggling right now. I think the Dodgers starting their season is coming at the perfect time for everybody.
Speaker 17: Absolutely you know, we're up at odd hours trying to figure out all this fire insurance and all the various list items that we've got to do to try and work through this period. It's really tough, and so listening to you know, Rick Mundy and people that connected with Ben Sculling and Jerry Doggett from the earliest days of Dodgers broadcasts and games, it's just great. And I don't mean to sound too emotional about it, but it's just been real rough.
Speaker 2: Yay, it's all good, Nancy. We're here for you and you can call in any time. Thanks a lot for listening, and thanks for being such a loyal Dodger fan. And just I'll just say what players say and the way they approach things for you know, any adversity you have in life. Obviously the fires in Altadena and the Palisades is the greatest adversity a lot of families are facing right now. But just thinking back to the way these Dodgers focus day to day and how they're able to execute at a high level. They always talk about be where your feed are, be in the moment. Don't try to think about two or three months at one time. Don't try to think about winning back to Backworld Series, You've got to worry about today. You've got to win the day. And that's that's how they approach things. And you know, we can all be pumped up and the World Series and all that, but there they are, where their feed are and hopefully you guys just take it one day at a time and the Dodgers can bring a lot of joy to you, then I'll do it for us on Dodger Talk tonight from Tokyo. I can't believe I'm saying that. Can you believe? In the fourteen seasons. Being the Dodgers traveling reporter and host of Dodger Talk, I have traveled with the team to Sydney, Australia, to Soul, Korea, to Monterey, Mexico, and now here we are we are and Tokyo in Tokyo, Japan. It's mind blowing where the Dodgers have taken their brand and this organization over the course of the last fourteen seasons. Tomorrow, Roki Sazaki is going to make his major League debut, going up against left hander Justin Steele, Same bat time, same bat channel, Morongo Casino. Dodgers on Deck begins at two Am with Tim Kats First pitch at three ten with Rick Monday and Tim Neverett. We will have another Instagram live at midnight Pacific time, and also we are going to replay today's broadcast coming up at noon in case you missed it, and we're going to do that again for Game two of the Tokyo series. So this is your home for the world champion Los Angeles Dodgers. Thank you to Colin Ye for all your great help and being there in Burbank for the last what you've been there for the last sixty hours, right call in sixty straight hours. Thank you, Thank you for listening. In case you missed any of the show, you can find it on the iHeartRadio app. Once again. The final score from the Tokyo Dome in Tokyo, Japan. Yamamoto and Otani shine and lead the Dodgers to a four to one win over the Chicago Cubs. Have a great rest of your day. We will talk to you tomorrow from Tokyo. See yam
Speaker 1: Turn Simons away.