Speaker 1: On are we recording Welcome to the CECO pre Show for episode four ninety nine, four ninety nine, or as the Germans say for ninety nine.
Speaker 2: Is that how they say four ninety nine in German?
Speaker 1: I don't know, or Deutsche Deutsche nine nine, Yes, and that's the internet. So it's true.
Speaker 3: If German people call Germany Deutschland, why don't we call it Deutschland.
Speaker 1: Because oh, I know this.
Speaker 2: It's just no, you don't know. There's no explanation for that.
Speaker 3: If they call it Deutschland, it's Deutschland. Why do we call it something else?
Speaker 1: Oh?
Speaker 2: We to tell them what their country is called.
Speaker 1: It's it's something about how what Deutschland means. It means like motherland and motherland threw Latin into frenchified English or whatever like turn it into Germany. But it means motherland. It's it's a it's a whole thing.
Speaker 2: It's stupid. The point is Germany is called deutsch Lem. We should call it that.
Speaker 3: Japan's called Nihan, we should call it that because that's what they fucking call it. Who cares why they call it that. My dog's name is big Erse.
Speaker 2: We're not gonna translate that back to mean big Bear. That's not like I call her that. I call her Big Earth because that's her fucking name.
Speaker 1: Well, big might mean something different.
Speaker 2: Big doesn't mean something different in a different language.
Speaker 1: It might.
Speaker 2: I don't care.
Speaker 1: I got you.
Speaker 2: Big Earth is her name. Two things rage, Two things now we're starting off.
Speaker 1: Two things were brought to you by the wonderful patrons at patreon dot com.
Speaker 2: Slast see whether they like it or not.
Speaker 1: Also, did you actually change your dog's name to big Erse or is it still Ursula.
Speaker 3: Urst Lirie curly Sue baby Guts is her official name when you license her.
Speaker 2: With the City of Saskatoo.
Speaker 3: Furst Limerie, Curly baby Gut is their name, but we call her Biggers now. She responds to it. She likes being called big Earth and you go big Earth. She gets very excited because you're talking to her. That's her name.
Speaker 1: There you go. Are you sure it's not just the tone of voice you use.
Speaker 2: Because you go big Ears and she comes to big Hey, bigger over here.
Speaker 1: What if you did this Big Earth and she'd like she's in trouble? Yeah? Yeah, you know what's so incredible about dogs? I promise we're going to talk about some magic the gathering stuff for the people who say, oh, the show starts at six minutes. Yeah, well right now, sucks my dick.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I disagree.
Speaker 1: We're talking about dogs and what I find so incredible about dogs, And I'm not talking about the regular stuff, like they're nice and they can sense when you're gonna have a seizure and their man's best and I'm not talking about.
Speaker 2: Nobody cares about the thing, only that they're soft and nice.
Speaker 1: Okay, listen, I can like point to something, Yeah, and my dog can like do the frickin' math in its head at what I'm pointing at, Like it knows that I'm pointing and like the trajectory of my point and it can figure that shit out. She she she, Yeah, Yeah, I mean dog in general, not just my dog. Dogs in general can do the math on where the hell I'm pointing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's pretty dope, that's pretty cool. They're very smart. Yeah, I like dogs.
Speaker 1: Edge of Eternities stupid. I hate it. I was very excited about it, and so were you. You changed your mind on I haven't changed my mind yet, though I am disappointed that station has nothing to do with vehicles. Unless I do crew a vehicle than crew a station with it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I could do that.
Speaker 3: Like I've seen cards that have station that don't even do anything when you station them, unless there's some kind of mechanic for station that we haven't seen yet.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the draft shaft, which is stupid. You shouldn't have a thing that doesn't do anything.
Speaker 1: Ever, it probably does something, do We should know what it is, we just haven't yet. The preview thing was like today news flash, we're recording this episode like way out of sync because I got like a family thing and because I wanted to catch Brando with his pants down. Yeah, don't google that.
Speaker 2: You can if you want to that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, okay, so I've got last week's winner too. We haven't done in a few weeks a pre show a winner. And this was from last week's pre show. We're talking about decks and last week's episode talking about decks that we have taken a part in the past. Yeah, okay, so you took apart talk shrill yep, and what was that thee of the B Bay Beyloth Bayloth Entertainer. Yeah, and I've taken apart some like combo decks and decks that were too similar to other decks that I also have. And we've got a comment that's says they built a morph deck that made sure no one else got an untapped step. He says, pulled that shit off once and decided that he hated it, and that was the last time I ever played but Morph deck. And I'd like to say good on you.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, well, I mean, if you're gonna do a thing that's like that, to kind of do the thing and take it apart dracogenesis, I built a deck.
Speaker 2: Yes, yes, it right. I applaud people for doing that.
Speaker 3: You took the time to actually build a cohesive deck that does the thing, and then you did the thing, and like I was, that's cool, I did the thing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I appreciate that exactly. And this leads right into episode four ninety nine, tomorrow's topic where I want to talk about how far do you go and specifically, like what is the thing that's like appropriate for me to like expect to do, want to do and for my friends to like it up with? Do you know what I mean? Like yeah, like and and what is the thing? What is the category of thing? Like how many tutors should I is okay? And how many tutors make my deck too consistent? What's the power level? What's the redundancy? Should combos be like included in this this category of like how far should I go? You know what I mean? Yeah? And I want I want to look at the categories and get your opinion because you play at the same places that I do. I do with the same people that I do. And I also have some particular examples with a card that I ordered. Who's who's maybe going to be the commander of this theoretical deck? Oh dang that that I want to run past you because you've played against decks that we're going to be talking about. I promise you. Oh cool, Yes, I promise you, and you're gonna go ah, thank god.
Speaker 2: Hey build a new deck yesterday? Did you in the afternoon threw it together?
Speaker 1: What is it?
Speaker 2: Clones? Zakashima? Candle keeps sage, baby.
Speaker 1: I feel like you've done this before.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I sure have, but now it's better because there's more clones.
Speaker 1: I was what kind of keeps saying that's a background.
Speaker 2: Right, yep.
Speaker 3: So whenever a your commander comes to play draw card, Yes, whenever commander of leaves play drop card.
Speaker 1: Uh, does Sakashima let you choose a background?
Speaker 2: I did as partner, but I picked a background instead.
Speaker 1: Can you do that?
Speaker 2: Nobody seemed to mind.
Speaker 1: Oh so it's like it kind of has the ability to pair with something and you're just like, hey, can I I just figure this.
Speaker 3: I didn't think anybody would give a shit, And during the one game that I played in nobody cared.
Speaker 2: Oh, so there you go.
Speaker 3: I did it and it was good and the game the deck, actually, I think I actually have it down to having and this is true, zero of its own win conditions.
Speaker 2: It only wins off playing my opponent's.
Speaker 3: Stuff, and that sounds like the absolute worst thing, because like decks with no win conditions are terrible. Yes, but I think that this one has like a density of taking stuff like do you.
Speaker 1: Take or do you just clone? Clone clone? So you're not even taking, You're not taking what I'm doing and therefore not allowing me to do it.
Speaker 3: Yes, you're just doing it too. Yes, I'm just also doing it.
Speaker 2: So somebody's playing Flying Hasting Olivia, get a creature back from your graveyard? Sure, then I.
Speaker 3: Was playing Flying Hasting equipped Grip, except I and this is true, had three of her.
Speaker 2: So I was doing it way better.
Speaker 3: And I was one turn away, one turn away for making pant.
Speaker 1: Lazas panti lasers.
Speaker 3: That would just discover into more panty lasers.
Speaker 2: Over and over and could they could they eat?
Speaker 1: Does it eat?
Speaker 2: And do that? Yes?
Speaker 1: You eat? Be a pant laza and then you get another creature. That's also.
Speaker 2: I was.
Speaker 3: I was so close with somebody wrapped the board before I could in my hand.
Speaker 2: Oh, I was so close. But I'm really enjoying that deck so far.
Speaker 3: I realized that it's like a rule zero kind of deck.
Speaker 1: But like I don't put barely but barely.
Speaker 3: I don't want to play another partner, you know what I mean? Like I don't want to have another creature. I like this shitty enchantment that I have.
Speaker 1: Could you just like not do that? You could? You could literally put that card in your ninety nine and it would be the same deck.
Speaker 3: Yeah, the deck would The deck would change zero. Oh, the deck would change zero.
Speaker 1: So if somebody said, I don't know, man, that seems pretty powerful, Like that's not how that's supposed to work. Do you mine just playing it in your ninety nine?
Speaker 2: I have an empty sleeve in the box and then you just go like yeah, yeah, okay, no way it goes it? Yeah? Yeah, But I had a lot of fun planet.
Speaker 3: It's pretty cool, and I sleeved up the final Fantasy vix Mardu pre con.
Speaker 2: That deck sucks?
Speaker 1: Isn't that the one you bought two of?
Speaker 2: Yes, and it sucks.
Speaker 1: Why did you buy two of that?
Speaker 2: Well? Because I wanted a bunch of the cards singles out of it.
Speaker 1: Yes, But then you wanted to play it. Why didn't you buy a different one that you wanted to play?
Speaker 2: Well, I didn't want to.
Speaker 3: I did want to play it because on paper really good, but in practice it sucks.
Speaker 2: It's it's like one of those like the old Commander decks from back in the day, Oh yeah, when like they just were.
Speaker 3: A bunch of crap I had. I'll bet you that's almost half of my library in my bin and my three power Commander that doesn't get any bigger. For the record, could get zero creatures out of my graveyard and that's all she does.
Speaker 2: Have you get my creatures out of my graveyard?
Speaker 1: Have you ever tried being good at magic?
Speaker 2: Yes, I'm not bad at this game, but the deck is bad.
Speaker 3: I was looking through my freakin' graveyard our six power five, power four, power five, power four, power six, power five.
Speaker 1: You could only get a three drop.
Speaker 2: Yeah what if?
Speaker 1: What if she gets bigger?
Speaker 2: She doesn't, and.
Speaker 3: If she does, she still only gets a three. So her deck doesn't fucking work. And even when you do get something back, it's not tapped attacking. They don't have ETB effects. You just get a creature for fucking two. It's not worth it compared to the other decks that I have been solidly trounced by.
Speaker 2: Those decks are good except for Tara geez terrible. Okay, that was a good setup. I like that, Happy that I did that.
Speaker 1: I have the winner of last week's boostback game. Remember when we were talking about that. Yes, okay, the morph deck guy and quish off in quish.
Speaker 2: Off in QUI hip squish off. If that's you, squish off, get at us.
Speaker 1: If you want to squish off, you would squish off to commander cook at gmail dot com. Tell us it's you. Tell us your mailing address, like where you live, with the postal code, the zip code, whatever, the whole gimmick, and let us know if you want to cecio sticker pack. Yes, a Cecio booster pack.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, wait, no, you don't want that.
Speaker 1: Sees your sticker pack, your token pack. It is not what I say. I know you said booster or a crimy old pack of magic cards that I don't know some people do.
Speaker 2: That's weird.
Speaker 1: Yep, so big big thanks to mister or missus whoever you are in Squish offish off. Yeah, gets your squish on and then you won with your morph deck. I played a morph deck back in two thousand and two, a good year when cards smelt good? Man, what was the last booster pack you opened that smelt good?
Speaker 2: Well?
Speaker 1: I mean, I like the smell of of jump starts.
Speaker 2: I don't smell like jump starts.
Speaker 1: I like the smell of this my chlorine and sadness. I like the smell of probably tell myself. I like the smell of Lord of the Rings cards. But they probably just smell like modern magic cards. But I like them more.
Speaker 2: You've just talked to yourself into.
Speaker 1: Yes, yeah, it's a psychology. It's a placebo effect.
Speaker 3: That's what The last time a Ron Carr brought us like old school booster packs was probably the last like nice smelling cards.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, we opened up masks one time. We opened up onslaught Ah yeah those, no, Laura, I don't think Lauren's old enough to smell good, but we did Lauren one time. I'm just saying, here's how you win next week's booster pack game. You let us know in the comments, like in the comments of the show. Head onto YouTube if you're listening to the audio version, and you let us know the oldest magic packs you've ever opened. And this counts for like tournament packs if you even frickin remember those pre cons when they used to come in just the deck box you remember, yep, just the little deck box that doesn't even fit sleeve cards, yep. Or booster packs or old school fat packs. And I'm not talking about fat packs that come in the box that's like kind of the shape and size of my phone. No, I'm talking about like.
Speaker 2: They came in two of those boxes with a book with a book.
Speaker 1: Yes, yeah, they came with the book and the dice and and some and a tournament pack or whatever came in them.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: It was a book like a novel, and it came with like a like an actual book that had like all the different cards in it and like little things that explained all the mechanics. Yes, and they had the binder punch outs in them so you could put them in a binder to keep them with the cards.
Speaker 2: Those were cool.
Speaker 1: Yeah, like those.
Speaker 2: I do miss those, I actually do.
Speaker 1: But then you'd have to read the magic novels.
Speaker 2: No, not the novels. Fuck them. They're terrible, except for the old one.
Speaker 1: The old ones are really good.
Speaker 2: The modern ones were actively bad.
Speaker 3: But those like little flip through ones that have like the card, Yeah, I like those.
Speaker 2: I enjoy those. I still sometimes go back through some of the ones that I have. It's like, oh man, yeah, I remember this card is.
Speaker 3: Or you go back and look at them the top ten cards of the set. Yeah, and it's like here's the cards that we think are fun and they're all shunk.
Speaker 1: Oh. Here's here's a trip down memory lane. So we're we're moving. This is years ago, so I'm double tripping down memory lane because I'm remembering eight years ago when I moved to eight years before that, when it was like like Ryan in high school, are like eighth grade in Quest Gamer magazine, Yeah, and the price Guide an Inquest Gamer. Oh man, And I used to think, Oh man, if I only had like three hundred dollars, I could buy a black lotus. Fuck if I? Oh man, how come these lands? How come underground? See is like a twenty dollars magic card. It's just like a land.
Speaker 2: Oh No.
Speaker 1: And they had top ten cards from like from that month based on standard tournaments. Yeah, and I remember I had one top ten card FAREXI and Scuda number one from Plane Shift.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: It was Kicker Pay three life. It was a three three for four, but Kicker pay three life it comes into plays.
Speaker 2: A five to five.
Speaker 1: There was Skizzix, a five to three haste that if you paid an extra one it doesn't sacrifice at end of turn five to three trample haste. It was kind of like ball Lightning yep. And then randomly Birds of Paradise was on there, and Blasted Dorm was on there, Fires of Yava Maaya was on there.
Speaker 2: That's still a playing card. The rest of those ones are not. Where does he gets played? Yeah?
Speaker 1: I don't think Frexian Scuta sees very much playing though. It is a zombie. Blasted Dorm has fading, and it's a five to five for four. Birds of Paradise STI gets played. Yeah, Birds of Paradise Yeah yeah, yeah, I bet you, I bet you Mac Attack he plays Skizzs I bet you, yeah yeah, because it sacrifices it into turn and it's five power trample haste for four whatever.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: So if if you triple its damage with Jessica, the Commander deals like fifteen. Yeah, so some of those cards still get played. That's tripped down memory lane.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah.
Speaker 3: Oldest magic card pack you ever opened, worst deck you ever built, you hate it, worst pre con you ever spent money on. Finally can sleeved up a pre con and it was just terrible. That was an awful game.
Speaker 1: You gotta like you gotta rule zero it where you say, okay, this is a pre con battle, but you can only play decks from before twenty fifteen. Yeah, so no ATTRACTSA and no universes beyond anything. Yeah yeah yeah, and then somebody will sit down with like og Anamar and just fucking pound you.
Speaker 2: That deck wasn't that good either?
Speaker 1: Well it's cut Pro White and pro Black.
Speaker 3: Well yeah yeah, oh yeah.
Speaker 1: What's the oldest magic pack you've ever opened? You ever opened any We've done ice Age, We've done.
Speaker 2: The Dark Revised you Revised. Are you that old?
Speaker 1: Yes, you were already a grown man by the time he opened up Revised.
Speaker 3: Because I remember seeing them on the I remember talking to the guy at the store and I was looking through a binder and I said, why.
Speaker 2: Are these cards? Why do they have white borders on them?
Speaker 3: Old from the old course set or whatever, and like why would people buy these? And they're like, well, they're the like the reprints of the very first cards, and.
Speaker 2: Some of them are pretty good.
Speaker 3: People usually like the lands and stuff and the like, Well, do you like have those around?
Speaker 2: Are they really hard to get to?
Speaker 3: They're not easy, but I've got some, And like you just had like a box with some packs in it or whatever, and they weren't extra money. I didn't get any, but like my body did.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Like later on he opened up six Basics in his fucking eleven card pack.
Speaker 2: And I don't remember what the hell we open.
Speaker 3: I don't remember being anything amazing, but I remember opening a Revised pacting kind of.
Speaker 2: Neat, except for the fact that the cards were all ugly because they're all white bordered.
Speaker 1: Yeah, though not my thing. Yeah, and the revised lands aren't anybody's favorite, but the unlimited ones that still have the T for tap and the bigger text and the darker text. People really like the unlimited one, especially white border people. They go crazy for the unlimited ones. Hey, yeah, my first one. You definitely beat me both for cool pack and older pack. My first pack ever. Fuck weather Light.
Speaker 2: That's not bad as far as like old shit goes.
Speaker 1: That's not terrible. Yeah. Can you name me one good card from that set that isn't like a dirty combo piece like Paradigm Shift, which is from weather Light. No I got I think my rare was Leege of the Hollows. It like makes a squirrel token, which people are totally into. What the hell does it even do?
Speaker 3: Maybe I can't do it, but you know who can do it? The Nation the best card from weather Light in the comment.
Speaker 2: Yeah cool, I like that lots. I'm into that one.
Speaker 1: Oh here it is hold On, hold On, hold On, hold on Leege of the Hollows. It's a creature spirit. I thought it was an enchantment.
Speaker 2: Well three four for four that's already.
Speaker 1: Green green Yeah, green green two three four. When this creature dies, each player may put pain an amount of manna. Then each player creates a number of one one green squirrel creature tokens equal to the amount of manna they've paid.
Speaker 2: That's not very good card.
Speaker 1: So they die. So my guy dies and everybody can get squirrels. Ron Spencer did it, though he's my favorite artist.
Speaker 2: I mean, good for him.
Speaker 1: Maybe this is where my love for Ron Spencer came from. Look at the art on this, look at it. Be weird. She looks like she's freaking crazy. She's not, so I don't think she's that old. I think Ron Spencer's art just doesn't do her any favors.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's before she knew that having distended veins on the neck is yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, girls are into that now though, aren't they distended neck vans or guys into that? Like, is anybody into that?
Speaker 3: I don't know, you know, I don't think you like distended neck veins.
Speaker 1: Shaking his head. Okay, well I could see people being into it though. No kink sham in, No kink shaming in the nation.
Speaker 2: That's the truth. Yeah.
Speaker 1: So this has been four ninety nine cecial pre show.
Speaker 2: Wow, we haven't lost a step, No.
Speaker 1: But we might.
Speaker 3: You who can say tune into Morrow and see hit our theme song Burber Burber,