Speaker 1: It's time to get back down to the business of the NFL offseason, and of course we like to invite all of our friends back into the show this time of year to talk not only NFL Draft, combine sort of takeaways which just happened this weekend, and then what I think has been one of the busiest pre tampering period free agent trade weeks that I can remember with some big time names. Well, here he is the guy from Fantasy Points, the owner and everything that's Fantasy Points is Joe Dolan, one of the best in the business. Joe, Welcome back to the program, Bud. How you been doing.
Speaker 2: Great, guys, Glad to be Glad to be with you. I needed some positive interaction here because I had the plumber out today and he told me that the shower in my master bathroom was installed terribly and now there's a hole in my ceiling and they probably need to tear out my master my master shower.
Speaker 1: So going, I.
Speaker 2: Wish I was. I wish I was an NFL free agent getting the seven figure payday that's not coming anytime soon. I don't think I'm about it a lot.
Speaker 1: Jerry Joneson's thoughts and prayers and condolences as he's always thinking about it. The shower Joe Dolan, aside from having some plumbing issues, you can find him at Fantasy points dot Com. Will promote all the work they're doing, including the uh the the ass index. I believe it is average separation in terms of receivers and much much more. You guys do a hell of a job here we go. Something that is not ass is this free agent market. There are some big names, especially when it comes to the storylines. Now, the players on the quarterback side may not measure up in terms of what they can do. I'm gonna start first and foremost with the guy that we all talk about all the time, Aaron Rodgers. Love him or hate him. He's gonna play again this year, we think, and I'm starting to sense that it's gonna be the Giants. Do you agree or do you see another path? I don't know, and I'm.
Speaker 2: Gonna tell you why. It's because I think the Giants. If I were to make a guess right now, I don't think John mara is going to let Joe Shane and Brian Davile put a band aid on this. And what do they say? A band aid for a bullet wound. I don't think that's I don't think he's gonna let him do that, going to try to go in and do surgery, and that will be I think they're going to trade up with cam Moore, who I think is overwhelmingly, based on what I'm hearing, what I've seen, who I've talked to, overwhelmingly going to be the number one quarterback off the board. I don't think it's going to be close at this point, and I think that's what the Giants are going to do now. That begs another question which we've seen in the past with some other teams, most most recently the Chicago Bears. Why would you bring back your head coach if you're just going to draft a quarterback?
Speaker 1: Thank you.
Speaker 2: Put it all together. Put it. It didn't work out great with with with the Panthers, but there at least seem to be on the right rack now. But why would you do that? Why would you bring him back and say because he has to win games this year. If he doesn't win games this year, he's going to be fired regardless of how cam Ward plays. So but I think that's what the Giants are going to do, And honestly, the thing. The thing about with Aaron Rodgers is guys, you know, musical chairs, somebody's left standing at the end. And when I sort through these spots for Aaron Rodgers, I start to wonder, where actually is he going to go? But like one of the why would the Tennessee Titans sign him? Like why why wouldn't he do that? One of the Brown's gonna do have the single least popular quarterback room and a history.
Speaker 1: Of the urt like I want to go.
Speaker 2: Like, there's no way they're going to do that. So I just kind of feel like Aaron Rodgers might run out of places to go and he'll end up on a podcast somewhere.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And you know, Art Stapleton was on McAfee and take it with a grin saw, but he was really pushing in the narrative that you know, of the Giants and Mara wouldn't mind the McAfee appearances and all that, And of course he said it on McAfee show. So there you have it. I have no idea where Rogers ends up. I do think he can still play small ball, sort of like you know Alex Smith did at the end of his career, But I don't know if you're getting anything that couldn't be an upgrade over maybe one of these rookies or even some of the other guys available. Speaking which, let's have the Sam Darnold talk. Man. We've been talking about Sam since the old Panthers days, and certainly, you know he had some good moments in Carolina towards the end once Matt Ruhle went back to the college world and got the hill out of the way. And I'll say this, I'm happy for his progress. I'm happy to see the progression. I am highly skeptical, and it's not just the last two games. Give me you thoughts on taking him out of that environment in Minnesota, putting him like a Tennessee or maybe a Las Vegas, and that's can he survive that?
Speaker 2: That's a really good question. And I almost wonder if it's gonna end up being kind of similar for Sam Darnold as it was this year. I think he'll get a longer term contract than he did obviously he had like the one year deal with the Vikings. I think he's probably earned a longer term and at least a bigger money contract than that. But I almost wonder if he ends up in a place like Vegas. Does that preclude Vegas from drafting should Sanders?
Speaker 1: I don't think so.
Speaker 2: No, especially as shoulder and we're starting to hear buzz that he might end up falling to the back end of the first round.
Speaker 1: I've heard sixth round, Joe, seventh round. It's crazy season.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's not going to happen, like maybe back into the first round, you know. And do you know what that becomes? That becomes trade back season, So that becomes like a team like Philadelphia, for instance, at thirty two. The last time the Eagles won the Super Bowl, they actually traded out of the thirty second pick for a team who traded back into the first round for a quarterback.
Speaker 1: Yep.
Speaker 2: Remember that pick was Lamar Jackson. So Baltimore traded back to number thirty two. And I wonder could that happen again with another team, like, for instance, the Raiders. That means probably the best spot. Like can you imagine if Sam Don? How why would Sam Donald go back to New York?
Speaker 1: That's the other team.
Speaker 2: It's not going to be the jet but would it be the Giants? Like, oh, so, I'm just gonna throw myself right back into the Mike Franz novin grinder again.
Speaker 1: No, he went to relatively moderate markets Charlotte and Minneapolis, where he was able to blend in and feel comfortable. And I think he would tell you that that New York the lights were bright, the ghosts were bright, and it was time for a change of scenery. And I think the Carolina experience down the stretch with Steve Wilkes and Ben mca who really helped his confidence because he won some big games for this team. He was part of it, and I'm proud of him because I covered him. He's a good dude and I think he'd be a great guy to have alongside of, like a shooter of Sanders. They would compliment each other very well. Speaking of Sanders and Ward and the host of others, the combine came and went. It's the underwear Olympics. You learn things about certain players. There is mostly meetings, mostly medicals, and a lot of it is just getting to know who these people are and if they fit your operation. Some great testing numbers, but let's stick to quarterbacks. Where's your board right now? Is it Cam and Shoudur and then everybody else? Or do you see it differently?
Speaker 2: Mine is mine? Personally is Cam and Shouldar as one and two. Those are the two best prospects in my opinion. Our guy, our draft guy at Fantasy Points, Brent Whitefield love Jackson Dart. He thinks Jackson Dart has first round tape. I know people in the industry who actually think Tyler Shuck from Louisville obviously we saw them play against Clemson. They believe he has good tape, and I think those are the clear top four for a lot of people. And then, of course the walk part is Jalen Milroe, who can run out of the building, can jump out of the building, can throw the ball out of the building, but doesn't know where it's going. I think Jalen Milroe's traits will really appeal to somebody. But guys, I'm not gonna I'm not going to go against what is the conventional wisdom. I don't think it's a great quarterback class really go Obviouslyers comes with perceived baggage in that he has a he's a cocky confidence.
Speaker 1: Where are you at it? Joe just got me, stop you where where are you with that? Damian Parson and I talked about this yesterday on the show, and he had some strong thoughts on the whole Combine process, and look, I don't know Shuldar Sanders personally. I just have a hard time believing that that's a liability. Being the son of Dion Sanders. I think whatever you say doesn't matter. Can you play? Are you tough on the field. I thought he was one of the most physically tough players on tape last year. But absolutely that's I think the tape, like the Caleb Williams discussion last year, same sort of a smear going on. I feel like it's a bit of a smear.
Speaker 2: I do. I would agree with that. Now I have heard from people and I want I want you to understand this. This is not firsthand that I'm hearing this. This is second hand, third hand that I'm hearing this noted I have. I haven't talked to one person. I haven't talked to anybody who said they've heard Shador had a good Combine interview. And now that's from that second hand. I didn't talk to any teams that met with him, so I have to throw that out there.
Speaker 1: But I do talk to those that want him to fall down the board. That's what that is. Right.
Speaker 2: Then there's another thing, that makes me. That makes me wonder though you do have this cloud of Dion hanging there, and I don't even necessarily think, guys that it's Oh, if Shouldar has a bad game, Dion's gonna go on video and flap his gums about how the organization is letting him down and all this. I think it might be a coach like Brian Davil who's like, well, crap, if we draft Sugar Sanders and we win five games, my ass is grass and they're replacing me, would be gone.
Speaker 1: Woam that angle as well? Yeah?
Speaker 2: I wonder if some coaches are.
Speaker 1: Thinking that way, that that's actually a decent angle to look at this from. That's why it's ever. There's thirty two teams, thirty two relatively unique perspectives, but they're there is some group think involved. You know that with the draft community and with these front offices. Trey Falco, my man, it's time to dive into your Steelers digest with Joe Dolan. Take it away and let's see how we can fix this depressing fan base and give them what the hell they want more than ten wins.
Speaker 3: Go well, obviously, sitting there at the twenty first pick, overall in the draft the Steelers. I've heard a lot of talk about wide receiver, a lot to talk about defensive line. Obviously, the Steelers have a lot of holes that they need to fill. Is there like a sleeper position that you're seeing there at twenty one that maybe people aren't talking about enough that the Steelers could go after there and then move over like swing into free agency. Is there maybe a free agency pickup that you could foresee the Steelers maybe going after that could help alleviate some of those holes so that maybe not everything is on the draft that they have to fix everything.
Speaker 1: Right here with the first overall or the first pick in the twenty five drafts.
Speaker 2: Perfectly because I'll tell you who my sleeper is for the Pittsburgh Steelers in the draft.
Speaker 1: Okays, oh really, I've seen them monked' that's tasty. Mike Tomlin got to get the relationship.
Speaker 2: There with right Tomlin. Mike Tomlin's handled big personalities.
Speaker 1: That's a great observation, Joe, he might be the O.
Speaker 2: And I know Steelers fans are criticizing and like they're like, well, he hasn't won a playoff game, and then what does he do? But like I mean, this is the guy who seemed to be keeping Antonio Brown together.
Speaker 1: That's what he was. That's why I couldn't that's the trade off. But I didn't win your playoff game reviews. But I kept you in the playoffs and relevant and you weren't in the tank. And oh yeah, deal with that nut taste. Go ahead, Joseph.
Speaker 2: So I think he's somewhaty. Who who who can follow the Steelers? Obviously wide receiver at Uka from from at This class of wide receivers is not nearly as good as last year. There's a lot of different flavors of players, so players you might like, if you like more of a flock eye, well, Jalen Nole from from Iowa State, who was a huge winner of a combine, could fit there, maybe in the second round. But another player I want the highlights who the Steelers. The Steelers did not extend the the the fifty year option to Najie Harris right for a thousand yards and meet to his first four years. Well, that's exactly what I was gonna say. You want to talk about a winner from the combine. Amarion Hampton is six foot nearly two hundred and thirty pounds and he ran sub four or five and if you if you turn his his tape on, like, I'm not a guy who makes like I don't consider I'm not mel Kiper. You know, I'm not Todd McShay or Daniel Wheremiah I like. But when a comparison comes to mind for me, I'll throw it out there. O'marion Hampton looks to.
Speaker 1: Me like the calister, like that's a good one, big.
Speaker 2: Fast, powerful And you know, I was actually at the North Carolina game last year when Nate Wiggins ran him down from behind that. Yeah, you look at that and you're like, oh, man, Hampton, well you didn't break well. Then Nate Wiggins went out ran up four two three, and then all of a sudden you see that he was one of the few players in the country who could catch a Marion Hampton.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and yeah, that's what some people like to to find one little moment with Hampton. And then Hampton came back and ran for like five thousand yards last year and sending at that great combine time Dray Steelers.
Speaker 2: I'll tell you guys, I know the running back position is not well after what Saquan and Derek Henry and Josh Jacobs did this year. There's a lot of oh what it was O. Marion Hampton's not making it out of the first round. He will be a first round pick, and that's for our purposes at fantasy football. That's wonderful because he's gonna go. I think I'm eyeing Pittsburgh at twenty one. You have a Denver at twenty and the Chargers at twenty two. All could use a running back. All three would be phenomenal fits for Amaron Hampton.
Speaker 1: Mead Heead is back, Sorry nerds, the meat head is back.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 3: This is this goes to show exactly what the combine does when they're putting up all these magical, crazy numbers. And this is what you do for your draft stock. If em and Warry is there at twenty one, if you're the Steelers, do you take him just based off of just potential ceiling and upside? Obviously you've got Menka Fitzpatrick there, but I mean he's not getting any younger. He didn't produce as much last year as he has in years past. That is an eventual need for the Steelers. Would you take an em and Worry?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Em and war is going to be interesting because the safety is talked about in ways kind of like the running back position. Oh, you know, you could find them on Day two and Day three. But then when you take a look at this draft class in general, which is a lot less top heavy yep, and you see a guy like em and Wory who's just as freakish athletic ability. You know, I think you don't look at needs. You're like, all right, we're thinking about this the wrong way. We don't need a hole that this guy fits in because he fits in all of them. So he can play a little linebacker, he can play a little safety, he can move all around the formation. He's just one of those guys where I could see a team like the Steelers who are like, all right, we don't have huge holes. We have deficiencies, but we don't have huge holes. But we're not going to take a B prospect over an A prospect just because we have a we have a need on the offensive line or whatever. I can see any team drafting him just like as like, hey, we'll find a spot for you. You just play your game.
Speaker 1: Yeah. And then there's certain guys that we evaluate this stuff and we have collective opinions and then we have different opinions on difference makers, elevators, guys that you know, like an m and Moory who could be like a Kyle Hamilton, perhaps not in size and frame, but just in you know, ability to control the game and make an impact. And that's the most important thing I think for a lot of these teams is okay position, Yeah, maybe unless it gets like Tyler Warren is a great example. The things you can do with that guy potentially could change everything about the future of your team, or maybe it doesn't work out, but the stats and the tape are pretty you know, damning when it comes to Tyler Warren, quickly before we let you go the tight end group, it's a deep class war. Do you think he goes top ten? Do you think a team like the Panthers would look there? Maybe they're just thinking best defensive tackle because they've got to stop the run.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think the thing for Carolina guys, and I'm sure you've discussed this plenty. I feel like Dave Canalis and the entire organization would would would strap a jet pack to their backs and fire fire up to the podium. Miss Mason Graham's there. Yes, Yeah, I feel like, that's that's the that's the dream guy. I'm sure you talked about Ted McMillan, But here's the thing with Tyler for Warren, the Jacks suddenly very interesting because Kirk to the Texans today and they just cut Evan Ingram.
Speaker 1: Oh wow, that just came down. Ingram was a high volume player for them. So that, yeah, there you go, Jack.
Speaker 2: Could they be McMillan spot as well? So warren't believe me. I'm a Penn State alum, So I know what Kyle Warren do.
Speaker 1: I did it.
Speaker 2: He's a jack of all trades. And I feel like, let's put it this way, guys, He's a football player. And they're gonna be coaches who are just sitting there watching their tape and they're they're not even gonna be making words when they're watching the tape. It's just gonna be like, yeah, like you're just like grunting at Tyler Larren and what he's doing.
Speaker 1: Like I can hear Dan right now.
Speaker 2: There's a fifteen minute video on YouTube of every grunt from Home Improvement that scouts watching Tyler Warren.
Speaker 1: That is perfect. Just in a dark room, oh, in this depressing dark no windows now it's three in the afternoon and everybody's enjoying their life. And you got an area scout.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, he's just he's just absolutely just making the most inhumane noises. Their guys sound the guy sounds like a Neanderthal. But now, I mean the dancers, I could see, you know, you want to Panthers are in a tough spot because, like I think, I talked to you guys last year about how what I'm feeling at age thirty three can't be your best offensive player, and then he finally did it again. I think I thinking credit to be covered a lot for the improvements that he made, and he was on to me. Schuba Hubbard was kind of the heart beat of that Panther offense. But then you know, you still look at Adam feeling and he could still play, and he very clearly has a good relationship with Bryce Young. But you have to plan for the future, and I thought Leguet had a nice rookie season. I don't know if you could say, well, he's are number one locked.
Speaker 1: In for the rest there time.
Speaker 2: I don't think you can do that. So I think a Tech McMillan or a Tyler Warren would make sense for the Panthers, even if Mason Graham fits their most immediate knee. Now, let me tell you, if all three of those players are available for the Panthers, I take Mason Grant.
Speaker 1: I would too, And I'm question. I'm under the assumption that that Graham is gone by eight. But and I don't think Carolina after what happened a couple of years ago, ever trade up ever again for the next twenty years. It's like a charter that somebody put down to Temper's desk and said, no more, no more trading up. We trade back from that on Joe Dolan, Look, Joe Dolan, we got to hit We got to hit it. Man the owner and operator of Fantasy Points dot Com and has done such a great job building that wonderful publication up. And you guys are doing so much right now. What's going on these days? I guess there's a lot going on free agency draft analysis. Just a few highlights before we get you out of here.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we're we're getting heavy into the multimedia with our podcasts and talking best bets and stuff like that at Futures Awards Bets. But we're going to be hitting the draft really hard at fantasy points, and we're gonna be using all of our proprietary data to project these guys to the NFL and help you win your fantasy leagues. That's what we ultimately do.
Speaker 1: We lack the sound of it, man, and we like to hear your voice as always. Joe right up the road there in our neck of the woods, but he is a globally renowned as one of the NFL greats. Joe, be well, my friend, and get that shower fixed.
Speaker 2: I can't wait. Guys. Thanks