Speaker 1: Hello, Happy Thursday, Happy any day that you're listening any night to Laura Kane after dark? Yes, this right here is Laura Kane. What am I talking in the third person?
Speaker 2: I just are you really like?
Speaker 1: Something weird just happened there?
Speaker 2: Radio Hall of Famer Laura Kane. My god, it's.
Speaker 1: So nice weird right now, it's so weird.
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 1: This is Eric Rimmer.
Speaker 2: No, it's not.
Speaker 1: Yes, it is hate responsibility.
Speaker 2: Chris Hemsworth.
Speaker 1: No, see, I knew. I told you.
Speaker 3: It doesn't even work too.
Speaker 1: It will never die, it.
Speaker 3: Will Sorry, the resemblance is not really.
Speaker 1: It'll never die according to some people.
Speaker 3: According to one guy, I look like Chris Hemsworth.
Speaker 2: So I will take it and run with that forever.
Speaker 1: And then that other voice you hear is producer Brian happy to be working on this day.
Speaker 3: Definitely, he looks like who do you look like?
Speaker 1: Who have you been told that you look like? There had There has to have been one instance in your lifetime of somebody saying you know what you look like? No, never has that ever happened to you.
Speaker 3: Not that I remember. I don't think I really have a celebrity look.
Speaker 1: Like, does he?
Speaker 2: I don't have the hike.
Speaker 1: You know what, Yeah, me too, me too, of course, see your best I always get you know, Busy Phillips is no. Well, she's kind of like a sea liister, like she would you call her seatlister, b list. She had a talk show for a little while and it.
Speaker 3: Was really bad.
Speaker 1: But she's like really kind of makes all these goofy faces and stuff. But like people always say it look just like her.
Speaker 2: She apparently didn't think. So.
Speaker 1: I saw her at the Oscars one year when I used to do the Oscars, and I went up to her and I said, Hi, my name is Laura, and people say I look like you all the time, and she went.
Speaker 2: She was not impressed.
Speaker 3: I don't blame her. That's such an out of pocket thing, though, like you.
Speaker 1: Know, I was being friendly. I was the thought I was being friendly.
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 2: I know obviously she prayed that you were so weird.
Speaker 4: I know.
Speaker 1: I know, as you will see coming up in this episode, I don't belong in Hollywood because we have a whole new slew of my honest to goodness, really trying hard acting auditions.
Speaker 2: I can't wait for this. I've even seen them, so I actually haven't.
Speaker 3: Looked at them either.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, I'm a boy. No for a disaster.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I don't want you to be mean, to be funny, just to be funny. I want you to be completely honest.
Speaker 3: I am always honest.
Speaker 1: I feel like you tend to go a little bit harsher than you. You have given me some good feeds. You be honest, and don't be mean on purpose, or don't be jealous because I'm so good. Happened, It might happen.
Speaker 2: Tonight, Meryl Streep lookout.
Speaker 1: And then I have something that we're gonna call my mom because I forgot to get something from her house. I was just there and I want to know if this thing that I want to do for her and me and my sister is creepy or cool. And I'll tell you who just had a day knowing you.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna say it's creepy.
Speaker 1: We're gonna call her.
Speaker 3: You have to ask its probably I think it's gonna be creepy.
Speaker 1: I don't you, guys, I don't. I'm not sure what your reaction is gonna be. I really don't. You might think it's kind of cool actually. And then on the show, we have a special guest, Gary Bell, and he's going to talk about this really wonderful thing that he has put together that's gonna help the girl story light again. Uh, the lgbt Q plus Housing Youth Commune and you can help big time. So we're going to have him on. He's eric talked about it last week, but now we have him to speak about it, and so he's going to be our special guest. First of all, I watched some shows. All the things I did this weekend concert, working, going to my mom's Da da da da. I managed to fit in some TV shows here and there. Yes, did you watch Deliverance on Netflix? I'm only a quarterway through?
Speaker 2: Mm hm.
Speaker 1: In one word? Do you watch the whole thing?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 1: One word? Give me your thoughts.
Speaker 2: Terrifying?
Speaker 1: Oh, terrifying. So it gets really really scary. I'm only at the part where they think that the mom is like hurting the kids.
Speaker 2: Oh no, it gets kicked up, so I need to stop.
Speaker 1: I need to keep watching it. We also have another episode of Chimp Crazy on tap. Did you watch it? The third up? Was it? Is it good?
Speaker 2: Oh? Yeah?
Speaker 1: Oh god? The show is crezy. This is on HBO. And then I watched something on Netflix. That is crazy. It's called the worst X ever.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, I just watched that too.
Speaker 1: There's like four episodes, four different stories. It's unbelievable. Oh my god. There's like one chick who's a freak, and then there's a guy who's like horrible.
Speaker 2: Mine wasn't on there, I know.
Speaker 1: Oh boy, yeah, we all go there. I don't know how. I mean, god, I'll get in trouble. I don't know. But yeah, And then you.
Speaker 3: Said Deliverance is really good.
Speaker 2: Yes he did.
Speaker 1: I'm only a quarterway through sods he did.
Speaker 2: It got very kind of.
Speaker 1: From on what like Bratt Tomatoes and stuff. But if you say it's terrifying, I'm excited.
Speaker 2: It was pretty.
Speaker 3: Just as a reminder, Eric's little views on movies are typically in verse, U two, thank you.
Speaker 1: Just you're right, listen, eat me as much as I love this man and as much as we have in common, like are his movie?
Speaker 3: No, they seem to be in verse with society at large and not just I know.
Speaker 1: No, Like sometimes you're like, oh my god, that movie was so good. That Jennifer Lopez, that new Jennifer Lopez movie was so cute.
Speaker 5: Listen, I don't know what you're talking about. But the last few Jennifer Lopez movies have not been suck yet.
Speaker 3: Oh my goodness. I just remember probably like the first couple of months I started the show, and we're talking about this movie. The movie just came out. It was called like hit Man's Bodyguard or something. Oh so I've never seen a little bit of it, and it was like awful, and it was so good.
Speaker 2: So good, I don't know, and so was the sequel.
Speaker 1: It's happened to me. This has happened to me many many times. I get I know what you're saying. Yeah, and then the New ninety Day premiered on Sunday night. It's called Before the ninety Days, and we have a whole awful Oh it's.
Speaker 2: Exciting, oh terrible.
Speaker 3: Okay, I agree with Eric on that one. Now there we go.
Speaker 1: We're gonna call my mom and then I'm going to read this story. But I'm going to read it to her so I want her to get her take on it because there's something I'm going to do after reading the story and after a gift that I got. So let me do this. Oh wait, I go right hair bo Okay, here we are and it's on roadcaster. There we go.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 1: She does not like being on the Arab but she's so good.
Speaker 6: Hello Mama, Yeah, Hi Hi Mary, Hi, Hi Eric.
Speaker 2: How are you, my love?
Speaker 6: I'm fine? How are you good?
Speaker 1: Okay? So I'm going to read a story and then I'm going to tell you why I'm so mad when I was halfway home from your house because I forgot to ask you something. Okay, oh oh. J simpsons cremated remains have been turned into jewelry, and his lawyer says that it was distributed among his four kids and they all have now a piece of jewelry that contain his ashes. That said, a woman that I'm doing a walk with this weekend gave me this really cool bracelet and inside the bracelet is sand red sand from like some different country. It's this cool company. So, Mom, I forgot to ask you for Dad's ashes because you said you have some for me. Still I do, because I lost my bagfull a long time ago, and that was I don't I know all the moves.
Speaker 6: That I've made thinking about some kind of jewelry that you can contain that in, but I can't. You know, it's not very you don't see that anywhere.
Speaker 1: Well, I think what they do is they can make it into like a like a stone, and you can wear it is a ring, or you can wear it like this heart that I have has the sand in it, and maybe would that creepy? Is that creepy cool?
Speaker 6: I'm a kind of thinking of a heart that would be cool.
Speaker 1: Would you want a necklace, a ring or a bracelet?
Speaker 6: Well, I'm thinking about you, you guys, you and Jenny mostly, Well.
Speaker 1: I was thinking about the three of us because that's how it goes. Yeah, so what do you want? I'll order it through this company, but I'm gonna need to get that. Oh can you mail ashes through the mail?
Speaker 2: Probably?
Speaker 5: Well, yeah you can't.
Speaker 3: Yeah, if they send them.
Speaker 6: To you, that's true, padded envelope.
Speaker 1: I probably just need the littlest bit and then I'll have jewelry made for you know what when.
Speaker 5: When I go, because you know, I'm I'm probably going to go before you, Okay, because of my advanced age, I'm going to give you know, you can use mine. You and Mary and your sister, you can all have some of mine too.
Speaker 1: Oh, we can have a Dad bracelet and an Eric bracelet.
Speaker 6: Got that would be wonderful.
Speaker 1: Okay, I'll work on that, okay, Okay, anyway, Mama, I love you. It was so great seeing you.
Speaker 6: I mean, thank you so much for all the work. It is in that hot one hundred degree weather.
Speaker 1: Rancho Cuckamonga is the hottest place on the planet, like apparently in.
Speaker 6: That way for two months straight and.
Speaker 1: We were outside painting her sighting and her trim. Yes, during the hottest of the hottest of the day.
Speaker 6: The only place hotter is Rancho Mirage.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 6: If it's one hundred here, it's one hundred and twenty there.
Speaker 1: Well, it's going to get even hotter this week, so Mom, stay inside.
Speaker 6: I heard.
Speaker 1: I will don't pass out on it. I don't want that.
Speaker 6: Do you want me to send that?
Speaker 1: Then yes, and I'll get it, Okay, I'll get it handled, okay, Okay, Yeah, I'm glad you're into it.
Speaker 6: And then I'll decide what I want. Okay, you know you see what you wanted to do with it.
Speaker 1: Okay, I'll show you what like options you have and then show your mom some options for mine too. Yes, okay, Well we'll pick Eric Schuey and then we'll pick dads.
Speaker 2: Somebody's got to take it on.
Speaker 6: So, oh, I know, well, Laura will. She will for sure. My mom, we all love you, so we will do it too.
Speaker 2: I love you too.
Speaker 1: Mary was successful at the casino the other night.
Speaker 5: Who was Mary?
Speaker 2: Mary? Mary?
Speaker 1: She went to.
Speaker 6: At Marong though, but not that. I mean, it wasn't a jackpot, but I came back with a few hundred mores and I went with.
Speaker 2: Okay, that's good to me.
Speaker 6: Success a good thing.
Speaker 5: Listen, I'd go gambling with you before i'd go gambling with Laura.
Speaker 1: She was at the casino from nine am to six pm.
Speaker 2: Mary, that's like a full time job. Did you clock in and clock out and take a lunch?
Speaker 6: I did break for lunch, yes, time playing.
Speaker 1: Your pretty slots.
Speaker 7: Mom.
Speaker 2: Wow, I would have passed out.
Speaker 6: But it's so fun. And I only go every like four months.
Speaker 1: Mom, that's a lie kind.
Speaker 6: Of no chause Rosie and Monnie we go for each other's birthday, the three of us, so we only go three times a year.
Speaker 1: And then when Judy's in town, you go like every other week.
Speaker 6: Different story.
Speaker 2: How's my duty church doing?
Speaker 6: Oh she's doing great?
Speaker 2: Good Will you tell her that? I said? Hi?
Speaker 6: I will definitely all right.
Speaker 1: Mama, I love you so much. Thank you for picking up.
Speaker 2: I love you, Mama, I love you both of you very much.
Speaker 1: Okay, bye my bute, bye bye. Okay, all right now let's talk about our sponsors. Yes, and we're going to get into the bad acting auditions that want to take for a long and then we have our special guest at Gary Bell.
Speaker 7: Yes.
Speaker 1: Okay, So first let's talk about the guest we had on on Monday Slash Tuesday was Ellen Robbin, who is a SCAD survivor. SCAT is a very very little known They don't know what causes this kind of heart attack. Really, they're kind of they need more research and it what the scary thing is. It affects mostly women under the age of fifty and pregnant women and there are women that are like twenty five years old having these kind of heart attacks. So more research is needed. So that's why Scadadle is happening the eighth annual. It's Saturday on the MC. It starts at eight thirty opening ceremonies, somebody's going to share their heartwarming story and then we're going to go for a walk around Crown Point and it's a really beautiful wonderful bonding day and you can help in the fight for knowledge and research so this doesn't happen to anybody else. So to sign up, go to Laura Kane after dark dot com. The sign ups on there. Or if you are the kind that just like wants to decide party crash maybe Friday night, that you want to do it, well, walkins are welcome.
Speaker 3: Absolutely, come walk with me.
Speaker 1: It's it's fine. We'll talk the whole time. That's what me and firewife did the whole time. We just chatted, walked. I don't do the running things, so we can all walk.
Speaker 2: I only run as someone's chasing me, so that's good.
Speaker 1: And then we have, of course, the fabulous Lhois Cosmetic Surgery Center.
Speaker 4: LiPo, facelift, nose job, boob job, anything you want, you can do it there and they are the best of the best, top notch.
Speaker 1: Don't go anywhere else.
Speaker 2: Hi Toucher read Hi tuk to Swiston.
Speaker 1: The best is in our backyard. Here's more about Looy Cosmetic Surgery Center. La Joya Cosmetic Surgery Center is the place to go if you're looking to rejuvenate your appearance, tighten and shape your body and just just something special for yourself. You deserve to look your very best.
Speaker 5: Laoya Cosmetic Surgery Center offers over ninety procedures and treatments for a natural, youthful appearance. They are absolutely the best in the business. Try out their treatment planner at glamfam dot com. It's so easy and amazing to use.
Speaker 1: We can't say enough great things about their board certified plastic surgeons. And guess what they offer flexible payment plans so you can start your journey to a better you right now.
Speaker 5: Free consultations too. The very best in the business is in our own backyard. How lucky are we.
Speaker 1: Make sure you tell them that. Laura Kane after Dark sent you. We love everything about La Joya Cosmetic Surgery Center.
Speaker 5: Go to glamfam dot com.
Speaker 1: Okay, before we interview our special guests, Gary Bell, I have decided to boys to I want your honest feedback.
Speaker 2: I'm kind of white knuckling this.
Speaker 1: I have three recent acting auditions. One of them I did with Evan and her boyfriend when they were here and I had them help me read they Her boyfriend was laughing so hard he could not breathe, and I literally was doing the best job I could and they were dying. Now this is the best take we got. I think it's the first one, the one where I'm stumbling to the couch. Okay, So the direction they give you kind of direction on what they're looking for. They give you a little bit of a backstory about what character you're playing. So if this is the first one, I'm thinking I'm playing like kind of a rough and tumble friend who's there for her friend and who's a little bit on the harder side and kind.
Speaker 2: Of from the wrong side of the track.
Speaker 1: No, oh, it's like my she's my goddaughter or something. She's in the hospital and I'm like incensed and I have to They wanted to see my physical comedy or my physical illness in this act, and that's when the laughing happened. So I'll let you know if I got a call back on this one, because this one was like a couple of weeks ago, ringing. I'm not going to say anything yet. I want you to see them first, and then you tell me if I got a if I got a callback, I did get I got something. I got a message from somebody that wanted me to do an audition for to be did you a testimonial for vitamins like gut vitamins.
Speaker 2: Did you tell me only poop like once a month?
Speaker 7: No?
Speaker 1: Oed like, I love this, Hollywood, I'm so regular.
Speaker 3: So all these auditions okay, well we have a different one first, because the one you're thinking, what am I wearing?
Speaker 1: And I'll tell you what that is.
Speaker 3: This one is you and looks like the newsroom with a tan long sleeve.
Speaker 1: Oh I oh, this one. I think I'm a mom. Yes, I'm a mom in an office and I'm talking to my assistant.
Speaker 2: Help boy.
Speaker 1: Can we hear this out? Okay, Gavin, I don't care how you do it, but make sure Jas attends the Quinn group'st it.
Speaker 8: Auter didn't come yesterday.
Speaker 1: I need to find another way to get them to meet Gavin. I don't care how you do it, but make sure Jace attends the Quinn Group anniversary gala tomorrow night.
Speaker 8: Lie to him if you have to, just get him there. Release the news.
Speaker 1: At tomorrow night's anniversary gala, I'll be formally introducing Audrey as the Quinn Group's daughter in law.
Speaker 8: You little brat.
Speaker 1: If you won't cherish your wife, your mother will and seeing thank you.
Speaker 8: Okay, so you didn't come yesterday.
Speaker 2: Okay, it wasn't too bad.
Speaker 1: I noticed the first part. It looked like I was reading, because I was reading. I mean, I don't memorize that. I've tried to put it out. But that wasn't like horrific.
Speaker 2: No, I have to say I didn't well that one.
Speaker 1: That one was fairly h recent. So we'll see. I haven't gotten a call back yet.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 1: Now, if this one is the one where I'm in the green sweatshirt, this one, I'm smoking a joint with my friends and we're in a cabin and we're on the porch, and actually it's we're the same character, but I'm the I'm the more tough version of this girl. Got it here we go? Look at me, look at me. Smoke. I rolled up. I rolled up a napkin to make it look like a blunt.
Speaker 8: Since what fucking dad's funeral?
Speaker 1: You know, writing about it does make it better, Definitely. Who would have thought I'd end up being the outdoors type. It's really nice peace and quiet sometime to think and be with myself.
Speaker 8: No pun intended. Yep, that he's trying to fuck you.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yes, every single fucking time I interrupt with him, I can't help but.
Speaker 8: Think he's trying to get something out of him.
Speaker 1: He's all touchy, feeling and shit, and I catch him staring at me way too often. I'm telling you, he wants to fuck me, you us, Why don't you? Or do you really think he does?
Speaker 8: And you're just, you.
Speaker 1: Know, doing that thing you always do, acting like you got low self esteem, feeling sorry for you, beating yourself up.
Speaker 8: Oh stop it, who do you think you're talking to? We do that? You do that often. I think I like the validation I know too much, like an open book.
Speaker 1: Then again, sometimes I don't know what you're gonna say. I look at you and I get an empty page. Maybe we're long lost twins.
Speaker 8: You never know. It's a small world.
Speaker 1: Okay, critique thoughts, now, come on now, tell.
Speaker 3: Me, okay, the first one was better?
Speaker 1: Really I thought that one was better. Don't feel okay, come on you that this is what I wanted a freaking I'm about to give you some okay, trying to count on yourself, and please tell me.
Speaker 3: I'm trying to figure out your other club, which may be corrupting the one you sent me on. Now Okay, I.
Speaker 1: Think tell me the just I know you'll be blunt with me, but also don't be to me on purpose.
Speaker 3: I think the first one was better. I thought the script was pretty awful, but I thought your delivery was okay. The second one was. I think there are moments whe you do Okay, I think again, the script is a little weird.
Speaker 1: Do I overact a little bit? Oh? Okay, I got to tone it down a little bit.
Speaker 5: I would say you will by at least like especially since you were stoned you were, I should have been more chillen.
Speaker 3: I didn't buy the fact you were stone either, Okay, but I don't know like it was. They weren't terrible, They're fine, Okay. Second one had moments where I was like, okay, I could see that, like that kind of feels real. And then there are other moments from like and she's acting again.
Speaker 1: Okay. Now, if this one works, this one either has Evan in the background reading mydlines or WHOI and stop looking at your phone watch this all right?
Speaker 3: This is the last one.
Speaker 1: And this was filmed actually in my actual home, not at work, where I shouldn't be doing these foditions, but I do. After my shift. But I'm like alone and I have peace and quiet. I can do these things. Sure, it's worth giving it a shot, right absolutely, And all these things come on backstage. Anybody can be on backstage.
Speaker 2: At Academy Awards, just within reach.
Speaker 1: That's not really one of my goals. Like I said, on my bucket list, what is on our bucket list?
Speaker 2: It's my goal.
Speaker 1: I want to we want to be in a blockbuster film, but we'll be dead bodies if we have to.
Speaker 3: We don't really care.
Speaker 2: I don't listen to hang a toe tag on that tho.
Speaker 3: I don't think it's gonna work.
Speaker 1: Oh no, well okay, then it's not gonna work. It's alright, No, this one was the funniest one I believe.
Speaker 3: Actually, maybe I can fix it if you guys, we can back later.
Speaker 1: Okay, So all right, let's talk about Is there anything you want to talk about? Is there anything that's going on in your life besides the Chris Hemsworth thing?
Speaker 3: That was enough that.
Speaker 1: What did you do on your day off? Did you go did you sleep? Did you go shopping? Did you I did get stuff done?
Speaker 2: I got dead all three?
Speaker 1: Have you ever been to all the yes? Is that like a cult grocery store. It kind of makes creeps me out.
Speaker 2: There's nothing there that you would recognize.
Speaker 1: But it's is it all all the like merchandise stuff? Is it named? Is all this stuff just stuff?
Speaker 2: Brands that you've never heard of before?
Speaker 1: See, I won't be able to go there.
Speaker 2: No, No, all right, Well, well you know what these shoes?
Speaker 8: Oh?
Speaker 1: God, like he needs another pair of shoes. Eric, you you know what I'm going to take. You're going to rehab. You have a problem and you need to get help. Yes, for shoes. What was that?
Speaker 3: I don't know that was your Okay, I think really that Laura falling down?
Speaker 1: I don't know what that was.
Speaker 2: I thought we were having an earthquake. I was like, bye, I.
Speaker 1: Know we did something well down, I don't know.
Speaker 2: It was like by everybody see you?
Speaker 3: All right?
Speaker 1: All right, okay, here we go, Oh, here we go. Okay, so this is like my comedic shot. Here we go.
Speaker 8: I am so sorry that I'm laid.
Speaker 1: I had a stopping a gas and then traffic was backed up, and then some douche nozzle was texting while driving.
Speaker 8: Ugly crying in the parking lot for twenty minutes. No, maybe this is why I told her not to tell you. I am her best friend.
Speaker 1: I should have been the first person that she told. In fact, I should have been there holding her hand when she was told. All I'm saying is you don't handle Stuss very well.
Speaker 8: What about you? How you had this, kiddo?
Speaker 7: It is not the.
Speaker 1: Mountain we conquered, but ourselves.
Speaker 7: Of course, you're handling this like a complete psycho.
Speaker 8: Hepatitis c. Thanks for that. Now everybody here thinks I'm a crack hor Wow, is damn cheating on you? I was sexually transmitted. You could remember my climbing accident in Peru.
Speaker 1: Uh, yeah, the one where I try to jump on a plane right away, but it turns out you have to wait three months to get a passport to get over to that place.
Speaker 7: And god damn nine to eleven just keeps hitting. I lost so much blood they needed to give me an emergency transfusion.
Speaker 8: Apparently that's how I contracted it.
Speaker 9: The HEPSI going unchecked caused the cirrhosis, and essentially, no, my liver is failing.
Speaker 7: You got a lawsuit on your hands. We will sue the shit out of this hospital.
Speaker 1: The doctors, the nurses, the practitioners, the Peruvian dictator.
Speaker 8: Peru has a president, a woman. You do still have health insurance?
Speaker 6: Right?
Speaker 3: When I switched to work from home, they made me changed to a subcontractor.
Speaker 7: I lost my benefits.
Speaker 8: You've got to be kidding me. O. Dan wants us to mortgage the house.
Speaker 7: Yes, yes, we'll mortgage the house.
Speaker 8: I can sell my car.
Speaker 1: We can do a fundraisor remember when we booked that trip to Cabo? How we got there by slinging those jello shots at clubs downtown.
Speaker 2: Uh, this is what it sounds like.
Speaker 3: Every month, do you pay your bad No, she isn't acting in this.
Speaker 1: Okay, so yeah, obviously that was Evan and then the last part was my friend. But notice how Evan was barely keeping because again another script that's not so great.
Speaker 2: But I've never heard the term douche nozzle.
Speaker 1: I know, well it was in the script.
Speaker 3: I had no idea what the hell was going on the entire time.
Speaker 2: I didn't need there.
Speaker 1: Well, it was okay, it was I Okay. Out of the three, which which role do I land?
Speaker 3: I think the first one's actually the best.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I think when you get too high energy, yeah, you get you overreact or.
Speaker 1: You over because you're not supposed to do that on film, or like you're supposed to be more natural re acting. I know. Okay, no good feedback, Okay, thank you. You know what, I'm not going to say screwble for you guys. But when I get my big shot and I'm in Hollywood filming a movie for two months, right, I'm going to be like I told you guys, and when just a matter of time.
Speaker 3: And when that happens, you have earned that right until then, I have earned the right to critique and make.
Speaker 2: And then when that happens, it will be air grimmer after dark.
Speaker 1: Oh can't wait to scrub that name off the thing.
Speaker 5: I'll just put black tape over it during during your hiatus from the podcast.
Speaker 1: Okay, now it's time for our special guest, Gary Bell. Come have a seat on the hot seat. Hi Gary, put your headphones on. Hi Gary. Oh oh hey.
Speaker 5: Out Oh now he decides it. Come here, el.
Speaker 1: Elvis.
Speaker 2: He's got a bag of treats.
Speaker 1: Elvis, get over here, little Brad.
Speaker 5: What are you doing?
Speaker 3: Oh well, what's the matter?
Speaker 1: I don't know, dogs, what are you gonna do? So? Gary is here talking about something that Eric brought up last week A very important I guess you want to say it's not fundraising, it's more like supply gathering, right or.
Speaker 2: Tell us like yes.
Speaker 9: So it's very interesting because I I've been working on this and I've had to realize that you have to say philanthropy because it's not a nonprofit.
Speaker 1: There you go, I know there.
Speaker 9: Okay, So yeah, it's very interesting because it's not a nonprofit. So I have to say philanthropy because nonprofit work is tax related in people donating and they get a tax.
Speaker 1: Benekay, well, first of all, who are you and why are you? Did you create this or develop it?
Speaker 2: Yes?
Speaker 1: And what is it?
Speaker 2: It's kind of a wild story.
Speaker 9: So I recently became a member of the University Club, which is in downtown San Diego.
Speaker 1: Okay, wow, that's fancy. That's a big deal.
Speaker 9: Yeah, it was very It was a big shock to me because I didn't I've never been a part of a private club, and I actually wanted to do it to become better at networking and have more opportunities, and because I do massage therapy and I do art, and so I thought it'd be great. Well, as soon as I got connected to the club, I was like, oh my gosh, there's so many resources here, and there's so many people that actually care. You kind of think is just sort of bougie and people are like, you can't sit with us, very mean girl style, But it turned out.
Speaker 2: That people are really great.
Speaker 9: There's yeah, there's a really great atmosphere there. Ever since COVID hit, they've really changed things up. It's become more diverse, and so I just felt at home. And it was really weird because I thought i'd have this feeling that I didn't belong there. So it's been a really great ride. I've only been a member for a couple months, but I saw all the opportunity and I saw the way that people want help, and I was like, well, I've been wanting to do philanthropy work for years and I thought I'd have to have like millions dollars to do this, and I'm like, well, let's.
Speaker 2: Make it happen. So what I ended up doing.
Speaker 9: Is I talked to the LGBT Center and they're housing insecured youth actually need resources in the form of hygiene resources, and so it's like your basic like toothpaste and toothbrush and deodorant and lip balm, specifically with SBF if they're outside a lot.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 9: They asked for blankets because they have people who are sleeping on the street and they just want a blanket so they have something more comfortable.
Speaker 2: To sleep on.
Speaker 5: I mean, just really like basic human.
Speaker 1: Supplies, tampons, all that kind of stuff.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we got them.
Speaker 9: We got them a ton of pads already because I want to make sure I got that in their hands right away. And then we're gonna what we're gonna do is putting together all these supplies into the these bags. So we're I'm currently collecting the supplies and then with the help of the University Club, I'm getting people together because I'm trying to create a committee.
Speaker 2: It's all happening very quickly, so I'm very excited.
Speaker 9: But what we're going to do is for an event, We're going to put all those together in bags and then I can deliver them to the university to the center both in hillcrest On University and then also the one in North County.
Speaker 2: So it's very exciting.
Speaker 9: People have been really responding well to it and really wanted to help, and we've got lots of great things coming in.
Speaker 5: I just want to get more so that they.
Speaker 1: What is your goal? When is your goal date to get these delivered? Or like what what you want to collect.
Speaker 5: Them all by September sixteenth?
Speaker 9: Okay, because I want to do this right, and so I want to make sure that I have all the supplies early and then I can make sure that when we put them together, we have all the supplies we need.
Speaker 1: And you made it really easy, yes, because you just created an Amazon list.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 9: It's really wonderful because people are also seeing that they can make a difference by actually giving some like hard product, like instead of oh, here's a dollar, we're like, oh, that's so cool. I'm giving these people, you know, some toothbrushes, Like this feels really good and this is a great way for me to contribute. And people have been much more willing to contribute because they feel like they're connected to it.
Speaker 1: And so that's what we have on our website is the link to the Amazon page.
Speaker 5: Yes, it's Amazon Registry list.
Speaker 1: Okay, and it's super easy. It's all right there. It's exactly what is needed.
Speaker 9: Just click on what you want and it'll throw it in your cart and then the default address will just go right to me, I'm collecting the supplies and we'll put them together.
Speaker 1: Oh my gosh, that's just that's so great of you.
Speaker 2: It's awesome.
Speaker 1: Now, I don't know if this is an appropriate question to ask, but I've always been curious, like, what kind of funds does it take to become a member of the university club? Is it something that is like like really you need to say for no, Wow, this.
Speaker 2: Is totally appropriate.
Speaker 9: Actually, it's super fascinating because I was talking to a friend of mine who lives in La Joya, and I was talking to him about how I became a member of this private club and I was just like, wow, it's so fascinating, and he was just looking at me like so skeptical, and he's like, what do you want? And so then I explained how much it costs, and he how much? How little it costs and he was like, oh, okay, that makes sense because in La Joya he lives down the street from a private club.
Speaker 5: And he said it's one hundred thousand dollars and it's a thousand dollars a month after that.
Speaker 1: That's what I was figuring because it's so nice that I've been I was lucky enough to be invited, and in the Copley buildings are near there the top of the Symphony the Civity Towers. Yes, and the view is beautiful and the insight is gorgeous, and there's great food and ambiance and and all sorts of people to network with.
Speaker 2: Mm hmm. Yeah.
Speaker 1: So it give me a price range between the give it big ones. You don't have to give the exact number, but like.
Speaker 5: I can get the exact number because it's public information. It's not okay, okay, the price. So basically, the club considers them to be inclusively exclusive, so they don't shun people from wanting to come into the club. So they're great with diversity, and I love that. I'm seeing more and more of that.
Speaker 9: They just have sort of a privacy rather than a secrecy, so it's sort of like you can come here, you can get away from the chaos down on the street. You can enjoy networking with people who are in the same mentality as you. So it's fifty initiation fee, which is a lot less expensive than one hundred thousand dollars. That's and it shocks, and then it's three twenty a month. Wow, three twenty.
Speaker 3: Yeah, not about it at all.
Speaker 1: Wow, you're and you're really right about the networking thing. Like if this is something that you really want or looking towards, this could be like a really great thing to do.
Speaker 2: If you have a business, you can write it off as marketing expense. Ooh yeah, which is what I'm doing.
Speaker 1: All right. It awesome.
Speaker 9: Honestly, if you're interested, go to the website and.
Speaker 2: Find out find Mitch. Just ask for Mitch.
Speaker 9: He's the director of membership and he's incredible. He is so sharp, he's on it. He responds so quickly. He'll get you what you need. And if you tell them that Gary Bell sent you, they will take extra good care of you.
Speaker 1: Oh You've already made that big of an impression.
Speaker 9: I'm very I'm very humbly appreciative to say that they are glad that I'm there because of the vision that I have with things like outreach and giving back to the community. I have a lot of other big things in the plans. So maybe I can come on and talk about the HUTURE episode. But it has to do with education grants.
Speaker 1: I love that idea, Like it just went off, no, because like the light just sensed all my the student loans. I have on my back. So grants for education is that's huge, really big. Well, the link is on our website, Laura Kane after Dark. Scroll down a little bit and you'll see it. You can't miss it and do something good for people that really need it. Just your basic needs, I mean we take that for granted, but some people really need things desperately and in that like what do you have in that bag right there?
Speaker 5: So the bag has most importantly the basic supplies.
Speaker 3: So it has.
Speaker 9: Soap, shampoo, conditioner, body lotion, toothpaste, toothbrush, the SBF lip bomb. For some reason, they get asked constantly for cup of noodle soup, so they were really excited to have those. Get some crackers in. It's a fun thing.
Speaker 1: I want to take this on my next vacation. I was going to pack it because it has like all the things.
Speaker 2: You need to go on vacation. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Does it stick this in my suitcase.
Speaker 2: When we go to a pump Springs?
Speaker 1: Yes?
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, I'm going later this week. You are, Yeah? I go there monthly as a mental getaway.
Speaker 5: Where do you stay very very healthy?
Speaker 1: Do you stay at someone's house?
Speaker 9: It depends. Sometimes I'll stay at someone's house. Sometimes a hotel.
Speaker 1: What hotel do you recommend? Derek and I are going to plan a trip for and I'll tell you why.
Speaker 9: Honestly, the Best Western in downtown Palm Springs does a good job. It's very clean, okay, which I've worked in hotels before. That's so important for me personally if I'm going to stay somewhere, so cleanliness and it's very functional. It doesn't have all the bells and whistles, but that means that the price is really accessible.
Speaker 3: Okay.
Speaker 9: They have a pool, they have a hot tub. They have breakfast complimentary in the morning. It got better with COVID. The breakfast in the morning is wonderful. They do like eggs and sausage and potatoes, and they have someone serve them to you and then they have a whole.
Speaker 2: Rest of Laura is all about the sausage.
Speaker 1: Okay, Yeah, here's the ree Should I touch? Should I tell? Eric? And I had or I had an idea and then I floated it past Eric. He's like, totally, I go, we need to plant. Okay, let me just put it this way. I've been in a big, long stretch of no lovers. If you were our big, big, big long very longer than it ever has been dry spelled. Okay, And I thought, and I'm like a little nervous to get back out there because I kind of forgot what. I have no game. I've no game left, like I don't even know what to do anymore.
Speaker 9: With honestly, be yourself like that scares people, I think, But calmly, I.
Speaker 3: Don't be yourself, I.
Speaker 9: Know exactly ill, it's yourself at ease, and don't give too much information right off the ball like I always do, like rehab.
Speaker 2: Well, because that wouldn't be at ease.
Speaker 5: And there's nothing shameful about parts of you.
Speaker 9: But but it makes sense that if you're talking to someone else, if they divulge a lot of stuff, typically they call it trauma dumping.
Speaker 2: So don't just don't take a dump on anybody, what Gary saying.
Speaker 1: Okay, So I thought, Eric and I go to Palm Springs for like two nights. He'd be my wingman and I this is going to come off completely wrong, but I kind of want to be I want to play the field. Yeah, I want to.
Speaker 2: Palm Springs is really great for it to be honest for.
Speaker 1: A single great woman. Yes, okay, yes, okay, good because we were worried, like with smart choices. But I kind of want to make I want to start off and just like go for it and get it over with and like maybe do a one night stand and start like there go the races. We're off to the races, people, and I'll.
Speaker 2: Be sleeping in the car while you catch your put the.
Speaker 1: Sock on the good do.
Speaker 9: Honestly, Eric, there's so many things you could do besides being in the car drag shows.
Speaker 2: Oh true. I could go to I could go to restaurants, art galleries.
Speaker 5: I could go eat by myself in a restaurant while you Oh you wouldn't be by yourself. It's Palm Springs. You'd meet all kinds of release.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah.
Speaker 1: So the goal is for me to break the dry spell and then get it and then get.
Speaker 2: We're going to break that tumbleweed in half.
Speaker 9: I feel like I'm just promoting all these different companies. But it's best Western Las Brisas in downtown Palm Springs. They do an amazing job, so classy, so functional.
Speaker 2: The price is great.
Speaker 9: It's literally right in downtown across from the free parking garage, so it's just like walkable to everything.
Speaker 5: Downtown and you know what, I'll bring my little mini leaf blowers so we can knock out all the cobwebs in the dust before you go out on the town.
Speaker 1: I know I'm gonna have to get prepared, prepared. Yes, Okay, well I didn't think we were going to talk about that, but there you go. Anyway, So I'm glad you okay the idea.
Speaker 9: Yeah, I can literally give you a PDF of things that you can do wall in Palm Springs.
Speaker 1: Okay, we're talking to the right person. Yeah, we're going you're not just saying that you're gonna help your sister over.
Speaker 5: Here, sister friend, don't worry. Okay, I got your friend in your back.
Speaker 3: Okay.
Speaker 1: Well, if you want to be part of this great fundraising philanthropy of supply gathering for LGBTQ hel plus housing and secure people, then there you go. This is a great cause. Laura Kane after dark dot com and you'll see the link there at the Amazon. It's easy, easy, easy, and you're gonna be a great help and you're going to be delivering them this month. And good luck and thank you for doing this. Thank you for our community.
Speaker 9: Really, I love that people are getting excited to help the community. It really gives me hope and I think we all need that right now.
Speaker 1: Totally. Oh I love that. On that note, thank you so much for watching, Thank you for being here, Gary Gerry, thank you for having me, and love your podcast. All you have to say it.
Speaker 2: Love your podcast, Love your podcast.
Speaker 1: I love you, my sweet babies. See you next week.