Speaker 1: This is Gary and Shannon and you're listening to KFI AM six forty, the Gary and Shannon Show on demand on the iHeartRadio app. I have a confession. Okay, all right, I haven't told you this yet.
Speaker 2: Oh boy.
Speaker 1: So this morning I went to go get a cappuccino at the hotel coffee bar.
Speaker 2: Oh, sure, I'll take one.
Speaker 1: Oh I'm sorry to ask. Did I That was rude?
Speaker 2: That was rude? All right?
Speaker 1: Strike one? Yeah, And you know how I'm down on like the pumpkin spice stuff Like, I have no toleration for any sort of pumpkin spice anything. It's everywhere, it's too much, it's oversaturated the market in every way. You know you probably have pumpkin spice sox or something.
Speaker 2: Correct.
Speaker 1: Anyway, I get the cappuccino, I take a sip of it, and it's a freaking pumpkin spice latte. And I loved it. It was fantastic. It was like a taste of joy and fall in the holidays, all wrapped up in one. It was delicious and delightful. And I hated myself for every sip that I took and felt that way. Who are you? Okay, we can continue the show.
Speaker 3: Now live today in Chicago United Center for the Day two of the Democratic National Convention.
Speaker 2: How did things go?
Speaker 1: I think that they went really well. Another confession here, I did not go to the speeches in the arena. I watched them in bed because I felt like I could like monitor social media and I could. You can get the vibe watching it on TV, just like everybody else. And it's a hassle to come back here after we leave for the show, and traffic and the barricades and the whole thing. I thought they handled it really well. I thought Biden sounded good. I thought, for the first time he had these senior moments, but it was okay. You know, it was okay, and it's okay that he's still the sitting president because he called himself out on it, like when he would stumble, he would stop and like roll his eyes or whatever her and that was kind of refreshing to see.
Speaker 3: Well, no one, I think that's the observation, is the way I read it. Nobody was expecting anything else. We now know, like we know what the condition is, we know what the situation is. The party seems to be united behind Kamala Harris, so we knew that this was going to be his opportunity to come out, and almost like almost with relief, I say, I want to pass the tour.
Speaker 1: I had a real hard time with their back to back to back hitting you over the head with abortion. That was too much. You know, the girl that came out, and I know it's real life stuff, but the girl who came out and said she was impregnated by her stepfather and why should I have to carry my parents child? I was too much. I was this is supposed to be enthusiasm and excitement and yay women, but that was over the top.
Speaker 3: I thought it was supposed to be a party, and that was the one part of the day or one part of the evening events where all of that was lost.
Speaker 2: I mean, all of that enthusiasm was gone.
Speaker 3: I mean there were images of what you know, when you could see the images of the convention floor itself and everybody holding up those long, skinny signs that were the we love Joe.
Speaker 2: I mean though that those images are what this is going to be remembered.
Speaker 1: They even ran out of we love Joe signs.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so I guess a little bit of what exactly happened yesterday This was probably the quote of the night from the from President Biden.
Speaker 4: Folks, I've got five months left in my presidency. I've got a lot to do. I intend to get it done. You see, spend the honor of my lifetime to serve as your president. I love the job, but I love my country more.
Speaker 2: That was the line right there.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And he came across very genuine after his introduced him. There wasn't a dry eye in the in the box and Kamala's box there. I mean, she looked visibly moved by that, by that speech. And you know, I knock politicians for being phony and being fake and not being human. And I felt like the Democrats had a really human night last night, aside from hitting us over the head with abortions, and aside from Hillary Clinton, I mean, Jesus, Mary and Joseph. She hasn't gotten better. The condescending schoolmarm thing has not gone away. And she looked great. And when I was watching her on close caption, I was like, okay, all right, and then I and then I turned the volume on and I was like, oh, hell no.
Speaker 3: I want my grandchildren and their grandchildren.
Speaker 1: To know I was here.
Speaker 5: At this moment that we were here and that we.
Speaker 1: Were with Kamala Harris every step of the way.
Speaker 4: This is our time, America.
Speaker 2: This is when we stand up.
Speaker 4: This is when we break through the futuris hair and.
Speaker 1: Jenna, Oh boy, that is so reminiscent of twenty sixteen.
Speaker 3: It's the tone that so many people had such a hard time with.
Speaker 1: We went to the California delegation breakfast this morning to talk to some delegates, and the women that I spoke with, I mean, Gloria already was one of them, but there was this They kept winking at me, like I'm interviewing them, and I'm just like, you know, how you doing what you feel? And they're like, it's about women, wink wink, and I'm like, whoa, what's going on here? I felt like I was indoctrinated in some sort of woman's cult.
Speaker 2: Men, you don't like women?
Speaker 1: No, I love women. Oh that didn't come out right either. Well, let me tell you about Karen Bassett's dress.
Speaker 6: All right?
Speaker 2: Yes, women are just objects to wear dresses? Is that what we're saying? All right? So this is going to be at least some of.
Speaker 3: Our topic today, because we are again live in Chicago. This is the biggest story of the week, So this is why we're here. We will come or other stories also, but when we come back, we're going to get together with News Nations correspondent Kelly Meyer about what happened last night, about what we can expect coming forward in day two, some more familiar names, of course, some interviews. We'll just be popping around the old Michael Jordan statute today.
Speaker 1: You know, I just realized why I changed to pencils using pencils on this show, because remember when I used to have this pen and I just did this.
Speaker 2: The whole time, four hours, the entire time.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the whole It's like a tick.
Speaker 3: American intelligence agencies say that it was Iran that was responsible for hacking into former President Trump's campaign and trying to breach the Democrats campaign. This was not unexpected, but it does kind of add some details from American intelligence agencies, including the fact that it was Roger Stone's Gmail and hot Mail.
Speaker 2: Accounts that were compromised.
Speaker 3: Supposedly allowed the hackers from Iran to impersonate Roger Stone and to get access to the emails of a bunch of campaign aides.
Speaker 1: Kelly Meyer is a right follow at Kelly Meyer News Kelly with an Ie on X. She has been covering the White House, the campaign, the Pentagon. She's a Washington correspondent for News Nation. Joins us. Now, Kelly, pretty big night for the Democrats.
Speaker 2: Yeah, huge night.
Speaker 6: You know you're going to see former President Obama coming out here and also former First Lady Michelle Obama out here tonight. And we've been reporting for a NewsNation this morning, just kind of talking about this bookends this full circle moment from twenty years ago, when you know Obama was really first coming onto the scene in two thousand and four. Harris was at fundraising events for him for his Senate campaign in two thousand and four. Now he's out here to support her bid for the presidency. He was the first black president. Now he wants to see the first female black president. So it really is a full circle moment for Harris. She's been there supporting Obama all along, and actually along the way the two group closer, she sought his advice as she's been going through her political career, and then also to have the First Lady Michelle Obama here. We learned that on Sunday that she was going to be giving her speech. You know, she had her famous moment in twenty sixteen with the saying when they go low, we go Hi supporting Hillary Clinton for the presidency. Then as Hillary Clinton became the first female Democratic presidential nominee. Now she's supporting Harris to become the first black female Democratic presidential nominee.
Speaker 2: This week, Well, you're there.
Speaker 3: On the East coast, and last night was a very late night, not just for President Biden but for.
Speaker 2: People on the East Coast who were watching this. What happened? Why did this show go so long last night?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 6: You know, they kept saying they put out a statement immediately because I think they knew that there were questions swirling. I mean, obviously they knew what time it was, and it pushed President or President Biden out of prime time as he wanted to speak in that primetime slot. So there were a lot of questions on you know, did the Democratic the DNC kind of push him out of the spotlight, you know, as they kind of were, you know, pushing in Harris for this. There was a lot of controversy in questions throughout this. They were saying that it just was because of the start. They did start late, and then also because of the applause and the pauses for the standing ovations and things like that, that they had to cut back programming. They cut back on a video for Biden on this legacy, and they also cut back on James Taylor, who we saw performing and practicing on stage earlier in the day and he never ended up on stage, so I don't know if they're going to bring him back tonight. But they had a press conference this morning, which press conference was also a little late, and talking about how they're going to try to keep things on track tonight, maybe start a little earlier. They didn't start until like five forty five pm Central Time, so that was nearly seven o'clock on the East coast, So it was just a late start in general. But they're going to try to keep it on track going into Tuesday.
Speaker 1: So today we will hear from Michelle and Barack Obama. Is that right?
Speaker 6: Yes, those are the two big speakers here for tonight, and they are expected to talk about Harris being the right person for this moment. We talked a lot in twenty twenty about Biden being the one for that moment, the one to take on Trump. Now the messages behind Harris being the one to take on Trump, being the person a female candidate to talk about. You know, abortion rights is a big part of her platform, voting rights a big part of her platform. They have those themes throughout this week, but that's what they are expected to talk about and their relationship with her over the years, So both kind of talking about her personally and professionally.
Speaker 3: Where did all the conversation go about Kamala Harris as an administrator in an office? There were discussions early in the term in the administration is when she became vice president that there were problems and there were people who were less than excited about having her as their boss. I mean, there was a lot of turnover in her office. All of that discussion seems to have gone away.
Speaker 2: Where did it go?
Speaker 6: Yeah, yeah, no, it's a good question. I think there's a lot of you know, history there. You know, she's been in the political world for decades now, from California to Washington, d C. As a side that are then to vice president and of course this week is going to be talking a lot about at the DNC. It's going to be a lot of joyfulness as the circuits are referring to a lot of enthusiasm. I already talking about the wave of enthusiasm they're seeing behind her. I keep hearing people talking about the two thousand and eight feeling that they're getting with Hars comparing her to Obama. But you're right, and the kind of more the questions around her as a person professionally, as how she treated her staff, those are all still questions and still stories that are out there. So I think just up to the voters to kind of both also, you know, see what's happening this week and what is being presented, but also you know, kind of study up on both her as a person or history is also her policy, and that's something that we're trying to watch for and see just how much of a sense we're going to get for her actual the meat of the of the headlines, the meat of these themes. How are they actually going to accomplish that, And that's something we still have yet to see and hope to see coming out of the DNC.
Speaker 1: You know, you mentioned the point about her staff, and there were so many stories the months ago that it was a sinking ship, that there was an exodus, that she was difficult to work with and it's it's funny because you never hear that about a male politician, and there's got to be a bunch of a holes around. But that's kind of a narrative that you only hear when it's a woman.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I mean, and it seems like there's a you know, a double standard, and it's a lot harder for a female, it seems, in this political world because if they, you know, get labeled as tough, or they come out as tough and strong against adversaries or others, they may be labeled some sort of way and different than a male. So I think there is that, and I think we heard a bit about that when we heard from former Secretary of State Hillary Clinton. She faced a lot of that when she was running as well. But they are hoping that Harris could kind of break through that barrier and both be strong but also be vulnerable and likable. It just seems like it's a tougher for some reason, a more challenging balance for females that they've had to deal with in this political world. I don't know if I'll get too much into it. I guess I could get talk about it personally so as a female, but I think that's what they're looking at here.
Speaker 2: Awesome. Well, Kelly, thank you for your time. Appreciate it.
Speaker 6: All right, thank you, guys. I appreciate it.
Speaker 3: You bet Kelly Meyer there with News Nation for their Washington d C Bureau.
Speaker 1: Maybe we just lean into it, Maybe we lean into women today, you know, embrace it.
Speaker 2: You're gonna have to repeat that because I heard gibberish.
Speaker 1: Gary and Shannon coming up. Morgan Wood will join us coming up next from the Black Information Network.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I have a message for you. Oh you do? Yes? Where thinking of making us happy? Feeling happy? Feeling yeah.
Speaker 7: Shah so yeah, maybe I know.
Speaker 5: Fuck in the morning. Love the show all the time. You guys are the best. Remember you guys, gotta get a tannel. Gary in ten and twenty four to seven. Yeah, baby, let's go.
Speaker 1: I love him broadcasting live from Chicago and the DNC. A lot of happy people here this morning. I was sitting in the hotel lobby when I was waiting for you guys to come down, and everyone who came off the elevator just had these big smiles on their faces because the night one landed correctly.
Speaker 3: One of the delegates that you spoke to, this morning at that California breakfast.
Speaker 2: Referred to everybody as joyful warriors.
Speaker 1: Yes, that was the term White House correspondent. Now Morgan Wood joins us. She also is a correspondent for the Black Information Network for iHeartRadio. Thank you for making time for us.
Speaker 7: Absolutely part of the iHeart family. Why not?
Speaker 8: Yes?
Speaker 1: So what was your takeaway from last night? What did you think?
Speaker 7: I think that the energy was definitely up. It was nice to hear about policy for once, as opposed to you know, a bunch of.
Speaker 2: You know this or that and joyful warriors.
Speaker 3: Joyful warriors and as important as they are, policy is what's going to drive this.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it was just slinging mud.
Speaker 7: Absolutely, Yeah, there was. Yeah, there was a lot to the conversation. One that stuck out to me personally was Jasmine crocket that personal story that she told about VP Harris wiping her tears. I could see how she actually got emotional in that moment and understanding that that actually helped Jasmine Crockett move forward in the work that she's doing and everybody knows that she's viral right now.
Speaker 1: Rising Star definitely, absolutely.
Speaker 7: So it's nice to see those type of things. The standing ovation that former Secretary of State Hillary Clinton got That was absolutely amazing. I mean, she was standing there for a good two or three minutes, tears and it's almost like, well, where was that support for her twenty sixteen s and.
Speaker 1: Bernie Sanders was in a closet somewhere last night.
Speaker 7: Yeah, No, but it was really good to see all of that, for sure.
Speaker 3: The feeling, i mean, you talk about this, this feeling of positivity is very different than what we saw in Milwaukee in the opening of that convention, obviously, because you're talking about two days after an assassination attempt on President Trump's former President Trump's life. Yeah, and there was positivity, but it was almost trepidacious. It was almost a very cautious optimism because they were so close to losing the candidate, We were close to losing a former president.
Speaker 2: This was a very different temperature.
Speaker 3: It felt like, i mean, the joyful word is being thrown around a lot.
Speaker 2: But that was a very different feeling in there last night.
Speaker 7: Absolutely, And just a touch back on the rn C. You know, it's kind of crazy because it was a little bit concerning to hear Trump that way. You know, he's always been out there very outspoken, and so to have him speak at RNC very timidly what I would assume is timidly or very different, just very calm. And his voice wasn't as loud as you know, you're normally used to hearing, so it.
Speaker 2: Was it was different.
Speaker 7: And then one thing that stuck out to me that he said it was that he felt like he wasn't supposed to be there. That was his first time speaking since the assassination attempt, and the fact that he said he wasn't supposed to be there, I'm also wondering, you know, does he really is he really in it the way that he was prior to because who wouldn't be traumatized by some type of by that type of situation, an assassination attempt.
Speaker 1: Your first assignment at the White House was for the Juneteenth Proclamation. Yes, explain how powerful that was?
Speaker 7: Well, for one to be a d MV resident, born and raised in the area and to actually go to the White House, that's that was a full circle for me. And then for it to be for Juneteenth, I mean, that was absolutely amazing. That's something that the black community has obviously been fighting for for a long time, and for Biden to put the proclamation up, and then the very following year there was the Juneteenth Concert, and then that has been going on. There was one this year also, and so it was it's nice to see the growth of it, and it's nice to see that it's now a federal holiday and there's celebrations of all kinds that are happening across the country just because you know, Biden put it out there on the forefront that hey, this is something that is very important.
Speaker 3: As a White House correspondent, it's hard to ignore the campaign aspect of what goes on as part of your job, obviously, because you have to cover it. How do you how do you maintain that balance. You've got to understand that as exciting and joyful as it.
Speaker 2: May be for people, you have to remain neutral. You have to remain you know, keep that reporter mode on. Yeah.
Speaker 7: So it's all about the people and the message, getting the message to the people. So I try to gather as much like you guys know, it's about gathering as much information as you can and getting it out to the people so that.
Speaker 2: They are informed.
Speaker 7: It's not about me and you know my opinion, who cares about that? But the bottom line is making sure that the people are informed about what's going on in their states, their you know, their localities, and of course the nation.
Speaker 1: Barack and Michelle Obama today will be speaking. I mean everyone is in such a good mood already. Everyone still like drunk off enthusiasms from last night. If you're a Democrat and you're here, this is your super Bowl, it seems like people are just gonna explode. Whether you get Michelle and Barack Obama out here today, yeah, absolutely.
Speaker 2: I mean they're a fun bunch. I mean they brought some.
Speaker 7: Uh some some youthfulness to the White House when during their administration, and they are a fun bunch. I mean Obama, former President Barack Obama, he is very suave and Debonairrow.
Speaker 1: Or what should I say, demure, I'm.
Speaker 2: Very mindful and I know that very mindful of you.
Speaker 7: But yeah, so yeah, and you know he's got that suaveness and I think that attracts a lot of people, and people like that and they want to be around.
Speaker 1: He's got a lot of charisma. I've seen him speak before and it's it's Bill Clinton has that as well. Or they just take control of a room.
Speaker 7: Yeah, like the kids say Riz, Yes.
Speaker 1: All there is Ye. Morgan Would is a correspondent for the White House and for the Black Information Network here on iHeart Media. You can follow her at Morgan Media, Morgan with A.
Speaker 2: Y, yes, M O R G Y and M E D I A.
Speaker 7: And in fact, in the last ninety days I've been doing front page news on the Breakfast Club too, So that's been a fun assignment.
Speaker 2: That's really cool.
Speaker 1: Yeah, dealing with those guys.
Speaker 7: They're a fun bunch and as you can imagine, that's a lady a little challenging getting some serious news in there. But the bottom line is all of our audiences deserve to know what's going on.
Speaker 2: Thank you again.
Speaker 3: Of course, Okay, very late night last night, a lot of the speakers went way over their time. They had to cut Debbie Wasserman Schultz and everybody named Dessey. Debbie Wasserman Schultz were pissed. They also cut James Taylor, despite they kept promoting the fact that James Taylor is going to do some sort of musical number, but they knew that they're running way over time. They actually pushed President Biden out of prime time at least on the East Coast and here in the Central time zone. Today Day two, Anna Navarro is going to be the host. She is a Republican. She has said she lent her support to Democratic candidates over the last decade, ever since she said Donald Trump got into politics. She's, of course, one of the co hosts of The View and the theme for the second day of the convention is a bold vision for America's future.
Speaker 2: You know, I love.
Speaker 1: James Taylor, but I do not love James Taylor tainted with politics. Could you imagine if he got out there and saying like, you've got a friend and Biden and Harris are on the stage, or how sweet it is? Or sweet baby James, Sweet baby James, or your smiling face, or shower the people, how are the people? Would have been my probably my bet on what he would say, Shower the people you love with love, way you care.
Speaker 3: I've never been so high from secondhand smoke as I was at age. Sames Taylor concert at calex BO and Sacramento.
Speaker 1: I went to the same venue to see him.
Speaker 2: What year was this, I'm sure it was that it had to.
Speaker 1: Be the concert.
Speaker 3: Of course it was well yesterday, in an attempt to try to bring some kind of attention back to the Republican Party. President former President Trump spoke in Pennsylvania yesterday.
Speaker 8: Our plan will massively cut taxes, unlock American energy, slash regulations big factor, crack down on trade cheaters and stop outsourcing, rebuild our industrial base, and bring back those beautiful words made in the USA.
Speaker 3: So that was at a speech, sorry, that was at a factory in Pennsylvania yesterday, and he went on to say to these factory workers that were there and supporters at Precision Custom Components, that Harris is an economy wrecker and a country destroyer. This will be, I think, for all intentsive purposes, the busiest week that Trump has going forward, and it definitely the busiest week since winter because of all of the Republican challengers that existed in the primaries. This is a tough time for him because he's got to be able to pull back some of the attention from I mean, we've been seeing you saw it last night from a room full, an arena full of people who are very excited.
Speaker 2: And enthusiastic about their candidate.
Speaker 3: The primary focus on policy in these battleground states could be.
Speaker 2: Good for him.
Speaker 3: I mean, he's not great at sticking on to the topics, and that's been one of the things that's bugged him lately. The campaign officials try to keep him focused on stuff, and he kind of goes off on all of these tangents. So Trump appeared at times in the last couple of weeks to launch a bunch of personal attacks on the vice president.
Speaker 2: And I don't know if that sticks with It.
Speaker 3: Definitely sticks with his base, but it does nothing to grab independence. So you'll see him out and about. You'll see him in some other battleground states. Jade Vance also was in Ohio yesterday.
Speaker 1: Do you think Trump doubles down? And it's a it's a common talking point that he's better looking than Kamala Harris? Is that going to be one of those ones he goes back to over and over again, Because when he brought it up at that rally a couple days ago, the crowd.
Speaker 2: Ate it up, it ate it up.
Speaker 1: He loved it, It played well, and then he repeated it two more times. So I don't know. He also floated giving Elon Musk a job in his administration. He was doing an interview with Reuters and he said he was asked if he would name Musk to an advisory role or a cabinet position, and Trump said he's a very smart guy. I certainly would if he would do it. I certainly would. He's a brilliant guy. He's brilliant. And hours later, Musk posted on social media and AI generated image of himself standing at a podium backed by American flags, with the caption, I am willing to serve ps. Have you seen all those AI images of Trump and Kamala Harris.
Speaker 3: Like they get together and have a baby, Like she's pregnant and he's like Robin and her belly.
Speaker 1: And there's the one where he's the baby and she's holding the baby Trump. It's awful. And then the one where they're walking on the beach hand in hand.
Speaker 2: I do like the baby Trump on that I do too.
Speaker 3: The woman in that picture doesn't look anything like Kamala Harris, but the baby Trump is pretty funny because he's got the hair and the suit on, which.
Speaker 1: Is some you know, right, all right, Coming up next, we will talk about Kamala Harris's controlled strategy. We mentioned several times has she has yet to do an interview. She has yet to sit down. The last we heard was on August eighth, when she said she would do an interview in a press availability by the end of the month. Well, TikTok it is now the twentieth of August, so we're going to have that coming up pretty soon. They've been able to control her strategy and how they've been able to do it so well. We'll be hooking up with an Axios reporter right after this.
Speaker 2: You've been listening to the Gary and Shannon Show.
Speaker 3: You can always hear us live on KFI AM six forty nine am to one pm every Monday through Friday, and anytime on demand on the iHeartRadio app.