Speaker 1: You're listenings KFI AM six forty The Bill Handles show on demand on the iHeartRadio app. This is KFI AM six forty Bill Handle here on a tech Tuesday, September twenty four, twenty twenty four. Okay, it is time for Tech Tuesday with Rich the Mureau, host of Rich on Tech here on KFI Saturdays eleven am to two pm. He's kfi's tech Guy. In addition KTLA's Tech Guy Instagram at Rich on Tech Website, rich on tech dot TV.
Speaker 2: Good morning, Rich, Good morning to you. Bill.
Speaker 3: Happy Tuesday.
Speaker 2: Oh, happy Tuesday, although you know Tuesday's ever happy for me? But what the hell?
Speaker 1: Sam Altman, who is the founder of chat GPT, shared some thoughts on AI. He was just coming back from a he was coming back from an auction to see if you want by Pakistan because he has so much money, and he talked about deep learning and how it's going to change our world and how jobs are going to be affected.
Speaker 2: So deep learning jobs being affected? What did he mean?
Speaker 3: Yeah? I think this is interesting because he's calling it the intelligence age. And in fact, he put a kind of a painting on his little blog post, kind of like looks like the Renaissance. So I guess he's putting this in the same category as a major world shift that we are in right now. And so he talks about why he believes this is the case, and he thinks that this idea of deep learning where computers can actually understand things and draw conclusions has actually worked after all these years of trying, and he believes it's going to make previously magical capabilities a reality within decades. I think it might be sooner than that. Obviously, he thinks it will be very quick. He sees a world where we will have personal AI teams to help us accomplish things, virtual tutors for students, so if you have a problem in class, you will have the most personal virtual tutor you can ever imagine. Healthcare, software development, significant improvements. There increased prosperity because of all of this, and I think that's already happened for him, like you alluded to. But he did say that there will be labor market disruptions, there will be jobs lost, but he believes in the end people will find a way and there will be new jobs created.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean that makes sense because the computer age came in and jobs would be lost and at manufacturing jobs were lost because of robotics and we've been able to survive.
Speaker 2: That is he one of those people in the world.
Speaker 1: Of AI that is frightened of where AI can go or is going.
Speaker 3: I don't think so. I think he understands that it does have potential downsides, and I think he's talked about that, and he talks about, you know, minimizing the harms of AI and things like that. But I think he is one of these people that is just full throttle, wants to go full speed ahead, and you know, more so than someone like an Elon Musk, who is a little I think he wants to go full speed ahead as well. But I think he is much more vocal about the dangers of AI, especially when someone starts to put AI into a robot body. And I know that sounds silly, but that is the goal of all this is to literally recreate the human smarter, more capable than ever, and that is the goal, the ultimate goal of all this AI stuff.
Speaker 2: It really is. Yeah. I mean, we think of and everybody knows this.
Speaker 1: The first rule of robotics robots will do no harm to humans.
Speaker 2: Rule number two. Rule number one is a croc. Of course, robots are gonna kill us all.
Speaker 1: Are you frightened at all about where AI is going? Are you one of those naysayers? Not not necessarily a naysayer, but scared of the possibility of the negative aspects of AI?
Speaker 3: I think I am aware of how much it's going to change things, So of course I think about the possibilities of where this can go, especially when it takes on almost a human shape. We're creating things that are superhuman, and it's it's we're equipping people with tools and things that they've never had before, even you know, something as simple as a self driving car. I think there's there's implications of that when it comes to hacking, when it comes to how this stuff is used, because yeah, the main companies like Google said, you know, they used to say do no evil. I think they wipe that from their blog at this point, are their manifesto whatever it is. But at the same time, there's always going to be people that use this for evil, And that is the scary part is that you know the average person, Yeah, they just want to get a better grade on their test, or help them write a presentation, or their car drives them to the grocery store or whatever. That's going to be amazing. But the people that are using this for evil things, I mean, imagine you just program every car to run into a wall. I mean, that's the problem, you know, and there will be people who try to do that, and everything's getting highly automated and highly AI and that is a real possibility of where things go all.
Speaker 1: Right, Rich you tried on snapchats new augmented reality glasses, how reality and how augmented?
Speaker 3: Very well, well, it's very real and very augmented. So these look like oversized sunglasses, so they're big, they have thick stems, kind of thick glasses. But what's neat about them is that they're all in one, so there's no cables and basically inside the lenses there is a see through screen that augments information on top of the world around you. So you know, for many years us in the tech world or any you know, anyone thinking in the future has imagined that you'd walk around and see information while you're walking right, like if someone's name or just you know, if you're taking a map so you can take a left it they'll show you that arrow right on the world in front of you. So this is the closest I've ever seen to that. The problem is they're big, they're bulky, They're very simple for now, I mean full color inside video and pictures. The battery life doesn't last very long. But if they can get these things smaller, the battery life longer and the price down, we might finally have glasses where you just literally look through the screen and see information.
Speaker 1: All right, So a couple questions about that when they first came out, and I forget the name of the first reality augmented reality glasses to now, how has the technology evolved?
Speaker 3: Well, I think it's gotten The video has gotten clearer, so you can see the video better, and I think it's just they've gotten smaller, like less bulky. But the thing is most of the technology out there is focused on virtual reality goggles. So these big, giant goggles that envelope your entire head. I think the difference here is that they're working on something that looks more like sunglasses, more like what Meta is doing with their ray Band Story sunglasses. But those don't have augmented reality. Those just capture pictures and videos and have speakers on them.
Speaker 2: Okay, So I would think that the future.
Speaker 1: To put all of that together would be glass sunglass sized goggles that just do a wrap around and effectively they would be a ray band that wraps around and to hits your ear. And you get all of that, And I want to ask you how expensive they are right now? And what else?
Speaker 2: Did you say? Yeah?
Speaker 3: No, nailed it. That's it. The idea is to get these as small as a standard size of ray bands, and they're close. I mean, the battery is still big, the battery is still very you know, short lived. But right now, these that they're they're coming out with from Snap are mostly aimed towards developers and creators, and you have to rent them, so it's ninety nine dollars a month, one year minimum, and I don't think you get to keep them after that. But yeah, this is mainly for developers to play with these and come up with like a killer app. I can think of one. You know, if you're walking around, you know, it just gives you information, you know, where you're walking, It gives your notifications on your you know, basically in your line of sight. I mean, that's the idea here.
Speaker 2: Okay, so I'm a little confused.
Speaker 1: So let's say you're walking around and you're walking through you know, whatever scenario, and at the same time, you're now looking ahead of you and you see what is effectively a heads up display giving all the information.
Speaker 2: How do you not fall down?
Speaker 3: Well, because it's it's actually you're unlike the app vision pro, you're actually seeing the world and you're actually seeing it through your own eyes.
Speaker 2: No, I understand that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I guess you know.
Speaker 1: It's like I'm walking from here to the bathroom and all of a sudden, I'm staring straight ahead and all its informations in front of me. How do I not bump into the wall or fall into the toilet? I don't quite get that.
Speaker 3: Well, when I put them on, you're very much aware of your surroundings. You can walk around. I played basketball in them. I mean it's it's very much just glasses that have information in the you know, in your field of vision. So it's quite natural actually to be able to still see while you have these on. And I think you know number one, like if you're walking down the street and you're following maps right now, you're bringing your phone up, you're looking at your watch, this would just overlay an arrow to say turn left up ahead, and it would be placed up ahead. It wouldn't be placed right in front of your eyes.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 1: And by the way, when I am walking ahead and I am looking at a Google map or whatever, I do fall in the toilet simply because it multitasking like that is difficult for me.
Speaker 2: I'm just wondering if other people who are the same.
Speaker 1: Okay, let's finish up with the Russian anti virus program which and I'm looking at the headline switched on overnight that right.
Speaker 3: Yeah, this was banned by US regulators as of September thirtieth, so people that had this Keospersky anti virus on their computers.
Speaker 2: All right, hold on, I'm sorry about that. My dogs around here, I have to get rid of them. See this is live radio.
Speaker 3: Hold on, all right, you got dogs in the studio.
Speaker 2: This is today.
Speaker 3: Am I still on air? So I just continue telling the story.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Rick, just go ahead, And why don't you plug. Your newsletter which is fantastic.
Speaker 3: Oh thank you. Newsletter is at rich on tech dot tv. Sign up every Saturday morning. You get a free newsletter that talk about all the great tech stuff you should know about and helpful hants and tips.
Speaker 2: And tricks.
Speaker 3: That's what I'm all about.
Speaker 2: Got it.
Speaker 1: By the way, I missed all of that because I was kicking my dogs out the door.
Speaker 2: But whatever you said, I'm greatly appreciative of. Thank you, Bill. All right, Rich, We'll catch you again next Tuesday. Take care. Okay.
Speaker 1: I've done this story before, and I love this story because I you are caught up in this and this happens to be with the question is there any safe place to complain about work online? Oh? The quick answer is no, and the slow answer is no. There is no safe place. If you are crazy enough to use your company's computers and or servers, they're looking at you, and even worse a I can now get involved, and we'll get involved. Now, are there legitimate reasons for a company to look at what you're saying your chats?
Speaker 2: Well?
Speaker 1: Yeah, if you've been, for example, accused of some criminal or malfeasons. Yeah, But if you're unhappy at work, is that legitimate? Let's say they want to look at how you're treating customers? Is that legitimate?
Speaker 2: Now?
Speaker 1: The easy stuff is like here and the policy that we have here at KFI, for example, who's ever crazy enough to look at porno during the day, even during breaks or lunch on the company servers, is completely out of his or her mind. We've had those issues, haven't we kneel When you were in management? That came up occasionally, did it not.
Speaker 2: I can neither confirm nor do you stop that you do that all the time. Okay, I will say.
Speaker 4: I'm not supposed to point out Klono. Okay, it's really I'm kidding.
Speaker 2: Yes, of course, there's stuff like that that goes yea and those people, those people do not well.
Speaker 1: For example, I had a little bit of an issue when management came to me and said, Bill, we noticed that you went on to the website lesbians from Venus dot.
Speaker 2: Com and why were you doing that?
Speaker 1: And I got away with it because it was for research for a topic that I was doing.
Speaker 2: That's legitimate.
Speaker 1: Now, when Kono goes on the website Venie lesbians from Venus dot com, it is a different animal.
Speaker 3: It's also for research.
Speaker 1: It's also for research because you need that research to run the board.
Speaker 2: You have to know that. I understand. Now.
Speaker 1: The issue is funny at first glance, but it really has to do with how involved a business is with your business. You know, The bottom line is, yeah, if you are using a company computer or server, you know you can't be stupid enough to do what you're doing, and you know that they're looking at you, and know that they're looking at you.
Speaker 2: For legitimate reasons.
Speaker 1: Now, a lot of these chat groups are saying, we will not share any of that because it is on their programs, on their platform, and so okay. Sometimes they'll just say, and there are a few that only do it under we'll only do it under subpoena when they keep what's going on fairly secret.
Speaker 2: But let me ask you this.
Speaker 1: And I'm not a tech maven, and certainly Neil, you're much more of a tech mayven. How far away are we from a company being able to effectively hack without being a hacker and go into based on your information the company has and go into much more private information about you, the ability to dive into your stuff outside of work.
Speaker 4: If they pay for your phone and they and that you were working on their computers, they have access to it.
Speaker 1: Any I understand they have access. But let's take it to a next level. Is the technology on its way? For for example, AI and I have no idea. This is me speculating who has very little knowledge of technology. How far away are we from a company being able to grab your information prior to the information with just the information they have about you, because they have your social Security number, they know where you live, they probably have your driver's license. You had to give them the You had to give them an information. We have to show our passports for example, to show citizenship. Certainly I did when I started working. I mean, it's that crazy.
Speaker 4: With a social I've worked with private investigators many times. They're professionally for the station and beyond, and I will tell you there you would be freaked out of what they can do with just a social Security number.
Speaker 1: Lesbian from venus dot com is the website to go to, By the way, I have no idea if that is a legitimate website.
Speaker 2: I bet I bet they all are. Oh, you're gonna go someplace. Little fingers got the look that up.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we should look that up and report on it when we come back. Because I know, and you know, I've said, you come up with the craziest ass topic statement you could ever make, and all of a sudden, there is a world of chats and clubs.
Speaker 2: Okay, I was just about.
Speaker 1: To share a few of them, and you know, I really would like to be here tomorrow.
Speaker 2: Oh look at the.
Speaker 1: Time, buddy, all right, before we go, and I just heard the promo, by the way, before we get into the race between Donald Trump and Kamala Harris as to how crazy financially economically each one is. There's hopscotching in terms of figuring out who is worse. A quick one about one more time, Amy and Neil of your charity coming up on Friday for the Union Rescue Mission. Very quickly.
Speaker 5: We're going over the edge repelling twenty five stories down the Universal Hilton. We're raising money for the Union Rescue Mission. Eighty six percent of the money donated goes directly to the people who need it the most, and we need your help to make it a successful repelling.
Speaker 4: Okay, And the easy website just go to just help and the number one just help one dot org, Just help one dot org and you'll see the iHeartMedia team and you just click on that and you'll see Amy and I there and you can donate if you feel moved to.
Speaker 2: But it's a great cause. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Eighty six percent, by the way, goes directly. The other fourteen percent is for drugs and alcohol. From what I understand.
Speaker 2: Oh no, they are a dry house. Oh okay, which is why.
Speaker 5: They need our help. They get no government funding because they don't take in people who.
Speaker 2: Do it out, so they do it out on the sidewalk.
Speaker 4: Okay, all right, moving on, you're a bad person, Bill Handle. For everyone who thinks Bill Handles a bad person, just donate one dollar and just help one dot.
Speaker 5: Our goal of five million dollars.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and I know you're a little bit behind, so today I'm jumping in becaus to everybody.
Speaker 4: They've been very Our listeners are great, and we appre shade every little bit they do.
Speaker 2: And this is where you're gonna tell me I'm a good guy.
Speaker 1: Is if I am part of asking people to donate money to whatever cause I have to donate, I can't ask you to donate without me jumping into it.
Speaker 2: That doesn't mean you're a good guy. No, you're right, Ay, No I am. That's a good point. I still good thing.
Speaker 1: That's okay, that's fair, that's fair. And then the only issue is how much do I donate? Because the response usually is no, not a thank you, not a hey, that was a.
Speaker 2: Very nice thing to do.
Speaker 1: It's come on, Bill, really, I mean, what do you think two bucks gets you? You know it's today, It gets you half a cup of coffee at Starbucks. No, not even a third of a cup of coffee at Starbucks if I'm not mistaken. Now, what I would be doing is doing this segment, which I ran out of time, so I'll probably do this tomorrow. And this has to do with Trump's call for a two hundred percent tariff on John Deere. He was in Dubuque, Iowa, where John Deere is and and they're moving some manufacturing to Mexico. And he's responding to that in front of the workers, and he said, this is going to save your jobs. And okay, possibly Mark Cuban, by the way, who happens to be a shark tank and he happens on the Mavericks and is pretty close to a billionaire, says this is crazy. This is completely nuts, all right? So Trump is nuts? How about Kamala Harris?
Speaker 2: Is she nuts?
Speaker 1: Economically speaking? Absolutely? Both of them are insane. And I would use the word pandering as opposed to legitimate economic thing and programs. Okay, so we're done, and I'll do that tomorrow. Because there's a lot to be said. Also, it is a Tuesday, which means I am taking phone calls off the air starting in just a few moments for handle on the law.
Speaker 2: I'm going to be.
Speaker 1: Giving you marginal legal advice where I tell you have absolutely no case and it is a show of humiliation and degradation.
Speaker 2: And that's not you to me, that's me to you.
Speaker 1: Do you find it astounding that people still call Neil a just every Saturday? Right?
Speaker 2: No, I don't get it.
Speaker 1: You know, I'll have someone who is We have a few elderly people that want to ask me about a trust or a will. I go, hey, we have to do this quickly because you're going to die by the end of this phone call.
Speaker 2: Do you understand let's speed this up?
Speaker 4: If they have doing it to get through all that garbage to get good advice would be one thing, but to be barraged with, you know, a barrage of indecency and then get bad advice.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: So it's eight seven seven five to two zero eleven fifty is the phone number to call.
Speaker 2: And there are no breaks, there are no commercials, there is.
Speaker 1: No weather, there's no news, and there certainly is no patience from me. So it's eight seven seven, five two zero eleven fifty starting in just a few moments off the air.
Speaker 2: Well, we come back tomorrow all over again.
Speaker 1: We do this starting with wake up call, and that's with Amy five to six, Neil and I join a board at six, we go six to nine, and then of course Ann and Kno are always there somewhere in the building. This is KFI AM six forty live everywhere on the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 2: You've been listening to the Bill Handle Show.
Speaker 1: Catch My Show Monday through Friday six am to nine am, and anytime on demand on the iHeartRadio app.