Speaker 1: Trooper League three sixty after the hooter instant reaction to Hulkingston Rovers fifty Castleford Tiger six in round ten of Super League. You're with Lee Addison and John Davidson, and I am Lee Addison and I am John Davidson, and you're not the Scottish one from the bafters. I'm going to check the try scorers, et cetera at the minute, but what I will say is ok, are and now up to third and Castleford stay in twelve. As a result of that game, you're in your first thoughts, John. Look, it was a poor game. I don't think we can hide away from that cast gifted whole k. I think three to Rives in the first half.
Speaker 2: Now, in saying that, I think I did some some good things and I did score actually some some nice tries, but it was a pretty It was a very poor performance from Castleford. I know down a lot of injuries, but the amount of basic stuff they got was alarming, and I don't think it's great. You know a lot of people were twitting at me about how it's not a good look for this game to be on TV.
Speaker 1: I think that kind of shows how how pretty poor it was. It's funny you mentioned that. John, I I think you will probably have to do most of the talking because if I start talking about some of the things we're seeing, then will be accused of being negative or I will. But I'm not somebody bullshit my listeners, our listeners, my followers, our followers. So yeah, so please please do what you can to talk the game up, John, Because the tries were scored, two of them from Lawton to start with, it was the Lawton show at the start. Amon Davis scored three, Hardley scored, Lewis scored and Burgess scored a try. Martin kick one two three fourth have six seven goals for Castle for Tigers, my Papa Langis scored in the last minute and myself and John had to second guess whether Arsi kicked the goal because we couldn't be acid watching it. Quite frankly, where do we go with this? John? Look? I think I think the first thing to say is, I don't think, okay, I was sensational. I thought executing the timing, the decision making, the lines have run, the recognition, so much work to do there. I think they overcooked some of the sort of completion aspects. I think if they were let off the leash attacking wise, it could have been even bigger. That's a scary thing. I think.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, I think I think probably what was it was at thirty four nil, thirty eight nil at half time, I think hit seventy.
Speaker 1: He included.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think CAS did put up a bit more of a fight defensively in the second half, but also made a few errors. The start of the game was the start of the game was so bad because there was a cast era and then there was a pretty bad forward pass from whole car and then Gary Gary played the ball and there was no one at marker and okay, I got the ball back.
Speaker 3: And then the two lawn tries.
Speaker 2: I mean, the first one it's just a simple show and go, and then the second one there was only one marker and he was just allowed to advance from.
Speaker 1: Just basically fell over the line.
Speaker 3: It was. There was some really basic stuff.
Speaker 2: And I know there was one CAST fan who was like, what do you expect We've got thirteen players out, And yeah, I wasn't expecting Cast to win, but I was expected to be able to catch the ball and hold the ball and contact and you know, actually make some contact and defense and tackle.
Speaker 3: It was just Yeah.
Speaker 2: You could see Ryan Carr in the in the coach's box, his you know, reaction to what was going on. You could see he was filthy.
Speaker 1: Aging in front of our eyes.
Speaker 2: He is he's I think he's probably losing hair by the by the by the game.
Speaker 1: He was a young coach when he arrived in England.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was just, yeah, it was not a It was not a good game. And I think I did feel for Plt, not just because I know his father and I've actually played touch footage with him. What's Who's PLT?
Speaker 3: Phoenix?
Speaker 2: I can't really pronounce you, said Lala Tonga guy who just signed. I broke the story that he he'd left Catalans and signed for Casts, which was confirmed earlier week, and he made his cast debut tonight. You know, it wouldn't have probably only had maybe one two training sessions with his new teammates that it was a very tough night for him, made a few errors, but you know, set up that nice try with the grubber at the end, and obviously it'll be a learning experience for him. But yeah, just from the whole cast for point of view, you know, they were dreadful last week and then just dreadful again. And I think, you know, you look at their and it's not just the halves, but you look at their halves and their attack, they just don't really offer anything, whether it be you know, breaking down an offense, kicking game. I think a lot of those players in that cast squad are just probably not up to scratch for this level. And I think personally, Lee, I think you know, we mentioned this last week. We probably mentioned that the week before. You know, I think with every one sided victory or predictable victory or whipping, we're just seeing another point of why.
Speaker 3: There shouldn't be fought in teams.
Speaker 2: If anything, you know, there's there's really enough quality for ten teams.
Speaker 1: Let me give you some statistics, John, Yeah. Sure, And we didn't just mention it last week or the week before. We've mentioned this since episode one in the month of April, which is still April where you are. It's May now here in Australia where I am, fourteen of twenty two fixtures the winner has scored double or more than double than their opponents. Seven of those were newly sorry, yeah, seven of those were newly promoted sides nearly one third. Nine of the twenty two over a thirty four point margin. So nine of the twenty two fixtures were over a thirty four point margin, so well over one third of the fixtures in April. Half of those were newly promoted sides. Now that's just April. The key thing is, and this is the key thing when analyzing these statistics, it's a hell of a lot worse than March was, which means these teams were competitive in March. Now they're finding really things, really tough. It's a legacy of a few things. It's a legacy of the fact that, like you said, there's an extra teams in the Super League. Imagine the three worst teams in the Super League now were merged into the into the into the two above them, they'd be stronger sides. It's also a legacy of the roock speeds, so that was a big change that's been brought in. I don't know necessarily how how how much notice the coach has got about those roough speeds and therefore preparing for them in pre season, and also of course the six again rule as well. So everything is bearing out as you and I said, I've said ad nauseum, John, And this is why I was sort of hoping you'd put some flowers into this podcast, because it's nobody wants to see this, and I feel so sorry for the Castleford fans.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I don't.
Speaker 1: I don't know if I should feel sorry for the coach because there's obviously a coaching element too to all this, and I'm still trying to work that out. But they've been inconsistent in performance. Is their errors coming out of their own end today? My god? Their attack when they did have some was putrid. Their defensive decision making was proved putrid. Where did Cast go from here?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think just just on the coach.
Speaker 2: I mean he joined on October November, and I don't think you know, probably a lot of the recruitment he's had a saying or even christ Chester and I think christ Chester joined maybe July last year. But Cast have changed coaches. You know, they've had three coaches in the last you know, in the last year or something. You know, they had Danny Maguire and then they got rid of him to get Ryan Carver, before they had Craig Lingard, he wasn't there that long, and they had Danny Ward for a bit they had Lee Bradford like I don't. I think the whole club needs you know, the whole joint needs to be you know, rejuvenated, fixed up, whatever adjective you want to use.
Speaker 3: It needs a.
Speaker 1: Whole maybe stabilized, you know, yeah, I mean.
Speaker 3: It needs it needs investment.
Speaker 2: They are they are the state by a bit, which is long long overdue.
Speaker 3: But you know, I think they're academy. They don't.
Speaker 2: They don't produce a huge amount of players casts, and I think that's always an issue when you're not you're relying on players from other clubs or overseas, and they've got a large overseas contingent, and I think their recruitment has been has been pretty poor for consistently and I know, you know, Cass they're not big spenders in terms of other clubs in the Cup. And it's also it's not the most you know, to be frankly honest, it's not the most desirable club you know to go if you're a If you're an Aussie player from the n r L and you've got you know, wigging in for your leads, in for your casting for you you know you're going to go to the club with the better facilities, the you know, everything that's chattered to winning silverware. Yeah, exactly, exactly. You know, that's another component. But it's not necessarily all about wages. So look, it isn't There is only a long I think it's a long rebuild for for Cass. I don't think necessarily, you know, they've just invested in Ryan Carl Like changing the coach now, I think would be would be crazy if you need to change a few of those players.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they are.
Speaker 2: They are missing, you know, a lot of quality player or a lot of you know players in their top line squad. Third and also but I think a lot of players they do have there are probably not up to it either. So I think they do need to clean out of their roster.
Speaker 1: When was it, When was it announced that the rock Speeds were going to be quicker?
Speaker 2: I think I think I'm not sure exactly when, but I know in terms of in terms of the ashes, and I think that that was probably a real enforcement that okay, we need to change here because the Australian game is so far ahead of us. And I think in the off season there was some meetings and you know that was sort of brought out, but I don't think there was.
Speaker 3: There wasn't a lot of lead time.
Speaker 2: There wasn't probably a lot of you know, and I think referees did go into some clubs and do some sessions, but I don't think.
Speaker 1: There was a well, you know, this is why some of the weaker teams will be struggling. I tell you what else teams have worked out for cast just run at weaver of the scrum half. I reckon the lad made a thousand tackles on the right side of that defense today, So no wonder the attack is suffering as a result, because okay, I just piled down that side and then shifted right in the first half, and yeah, it's it's it's It was just like an avalanche in that first half. And let's let's flip the coin. Who was good for whole k are? Who's who? Who disappointed you or well? I think I think Tom Davis got a hat trick. I think you know, he finished, particularly that that final one really really well. You know, Joe Burgess has finished was brilliant in not a lot of space. I think kyl Llton Carl Lawton in starting instead of Jesse Litton obviously you know, he got some easy tries, but he still did you know, he had the smarts and announced to to take advantage of that. I thought Minochello was was good again. And and mikeyl Lewis, I think he's having a really good season. Didn't get a try tonight, I don't. I know he did get sorry, he did get one when Macintosh skilled a boy o the line. I mean it was there was just so many gifts from Castleford. They're just obviously so low on confidence, but it was a lot of it was basic stuff, so it's really, you know, your heart, you struggle to comprehend and obviously everyone makes mistakes, but you know they are professionals and they train and and a lot of it was was really schoolboys stuff. Okay on the march and I think that said, I still think we've got a lot of improvement to go if they're going to compete with leads attack. If I'm honest, I think their attack looks a bit more free flowing, a bit more confident. The boys from Headingly look a bit more confident when they've got the ball. Wigan are obviously on a bit of a dip, sorry a significant dip. Saint Helen's I think we all know role is a good attacking coach and encourages players to play on instincts, so they're not going to drop off too much in attack, but defensively they'll They'll always be questions there, I think. But I think now we can probably probably put whole k Are in that mix now in terms of title challenges, and of course is Warrington who look pretty good on both sides of the ball, if I'm honested quite frankly at the moment, So so credit to wo k Are. They've pulled themselves back. There's something else I want to talk about before we go. John on forty four minutes Mikey Lewis ended up falling onto a ball and it was again off the back of another era from the cast Ford back three. The review process and then the video referee process far far far too long, far too long.
Speaker 2: A lot of people have been signed out for a long while. And yeah, I agree, hohheartedly.
Speaker 1: We're going to be recording Super League three sixty episode twenty later this week because John's John's away for the weekend. What you're looking forward to fixtures wise this weekend?
Speaker 3: I think I.
Speaker 2: Think Leeds Waki if I was in the country, I'd definitely be Headingly on Friday because I think obviously Leeds a riding high top of super League, great attack, but Wakefield, you know, they've been quite impressive us what four five six games, They've got a great record Headingly in recent years. Obviously not lead out of a coup earlier this season and beat them in there. I think it was the first game last season at Headingly, So I think they've got a really good rivalry and I think that could be a real hell of a game. But also looking forward to just jumping ahead. You know you talked about whole career and you talking about Warrington. The two Challenge Cup semi finals I think are really good tires whole Caw Warrington and Wigginson Helens.
Speaker 1: Is that the following Yeah, that's the following week, isn't it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So I am. I am looking forward to those ones, I think. Apart from that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so there'll be no there'll be no after the who to next week. On that note, they.
Speaker 2: Will they will not be because there are only the four games, and obviously the the two women's games. But yeah, I will give a quick plug to a story I just put out before kickoff today. The latest news on the NRL on Super League talks set to continue at Magic Round in Brisbane in about two weeks. I'm sure Lee will be you know, dotting around some corp and the Capital, the Queensland Capital are looking for Nigel Wood or Peter of Landi's or Andrew Abda.
Speaker 1: Is that is that? What's happening? Is it is Nigel Wood flying over? We have to read my story, Lee, that's if you put it beyond a paywall.
Speaker 2: I have got it be on to pay well because I'm a journalist and I deserve to be paid for my work. How dare I provide for my family and mortgage? But no, if you if you're interested in that.
Speaker 1: Where can people find it? John?
Speaker 2: They can find it on Patreon at Rugby League hub dot com longreads. Yeah, it's a bit of bit of news on what's going on, what's been happening behind the scenes. There's been quite a bit going on behind the scenes and people reaching out to or from Australia to people in the UK and dialogue going on. So yeah, it's an interesting time. I think I should be able to reveal a bit more on that, maybe next week.
Speaker 3: Or the week after with another story.
Speaker 2: But yeah, I think a pivotal time everything we've been talking about and super lately. It was also an interesting I think I sent you to video, Lee, but I put it up on social media earlier interview with Chris Sadlinsky and Carl Fitzpatrick with the Bench podcast The Sky talking about a few things. But yeah, particularly I think Radlinsky's comments about a lot of people in super Leg are worried that super leg will become a feeder league to the NRL when that already is Yeah, it probably happened twenty years ago.
Speaker 3: Lee, Let's be honest.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but the denial and delusion that a lot of people in the game in England is quite scary.
Speaker 1: Might that sounds like a Monday discussion that one there else will be here all night.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Well, just I'll just finish and say, like, if we're going to change that dynamic or at least improved super League, then we need investment and we need change and the only one who's going to bring that investment is the NRL.
Speaker 1: So well, you mean to say there's no foreign investment hovering in the background like we were told.
Speaker 2: Every everyone I've spoken to and you know, people quite high up in the game. It seems there's no credibility to any of that private investment, even if there were, Even if there was credibility to it, lead like you look at what private investments down in rugby union, like, would that be a good move.
Speaker 1: For Look look what a bit of investment in live golf has done well exactly.
Speaker 2: I mean that it's not really a surprise, is it. I mean, I think probably you know a lot of people. It's similar in boxing, isn't it. They're pulling out of a lot of what's happening in boxing.
Speaker 1: So at least we know the NRL will care about rugby league put it. Put it that way, so you know that has to Rugby league has to win out in that regard. So anyway, it sounds like a Monday topic to me, buddy, have a good weekend. You're off to Paris.
Speaker 3: I am off to bed for an early flight from Manchester.
Speaker 1: Have a goodnes and we'll see you Tuesday, Super League three sixty.
Speaker 3: We shall