Speaker 1: Welcome to the Nightmare USA Podcast. Using Stephen Thrower's tome as our roadmap, join us as we explore the underbelly of America, one regional horror film at a time.
Speaker 2: I'm Adam, I'm Sam.
Speaker 1: In our first official episode, Sam and I are going to discuss the film that is prominently featured on the cover of Nightmare USA, Don't Go in the House, directed by Joseph Ellison.
Speaker 2: In this House, twenty five years ago, a child was given life. Donald come here. He was raised in isolation. You're a bad boy, instructed in fear. You're able, and you must be punished, imprisoned by a tormented mind. You'll bother that you do things like that.
Speaker 1: But he's gone now and baptized in flames.
Speaker 2: Now he has come of age. His suffering has ended, and ours is about to begin. You're heard that a lady, I'll punish you again if you would be spared from the fury of his vengeance whatever you do, Don't Go in the House.
Speaker 1: Filmed in nineteen seventy nine, Don't Go in the House was released on March twenty eighth, nineteen eighty six, weeks before Friday the thirteenth. Thanks to John Carpenter's Halloween, audience's tastes and horror were beginning to shift, becoming more terrified by the Boogeyman than the guy next door. Perhaps the onslaught of serial killers in the seventies, from Ted Bundy to John Wayne Gacy The Son of Sam to the Hillside Strangler soured tastes to real life horror. Watching the machinations of Damage Donnie Kohler might have felt too real compared to Michael Myers skulking about the streets of Haddenfield or Missus Vorhees co boarding about Camp Crystal Lake. While audiences stayed away, critics complained of gratuitous violence in the film thanks to the infamous flamethrower scene, which we'll get to in a minute. British censors placed the films on their Video Nasties list, which has now probably given the film more life than ever, with Don't Go in the House be as well known today had it not ended up on that notorious listing that Don't Go in the House was Ellison's first feature film. Watching again this time, I was struck by the craftsmanship and confidence Ellison shows in his direction. It's a shame he didn't receive more opportunities. He directed only one film after Don't Go in the House, Joey, about a duop group in the nineteen fifties, before returning to his first love of music, Sam, When did you first see go Don't Go in the House? And how does it compare this time to previous watches?
Speaker 2: I know, I watched it the first time in the VHS era, and that was the time when I, you know, I was like slasher crazy as a kid in you know, in middle school, in high school, and I want him to see every Slasher and Don't Go in the House. Yes, it's it predates slightly Friday thirteenth, and it's you know, right around Halloween, before the rules had been set of the slasher. But it always felt like when I watched it that there's something wrong with this movie, that if this is a movie that it almost feels like a more abbarent version of Maniac, because like, at least in Maniac, you've just been out playing the killer and you can identify with him. There's nothing that makes you identify with Donnie in this movie. He's just like a horrifying person and horrible things happen to beautiful people. But also the more you think about I think, as I've gotten older, I start to feel bad for him because like, obviously wife has brought him here and he's been on this track to nowhere. And I love that because this isn't like a teen pleasing slasher like you were saying, like Michael Myers, like you know, you get introduced these characters, and often in slashers, you know, there's always somebody like, boy, hope this character dies, like I hate they introduce a character, you know in the hopes that you know they get killed, And here it's just like this insane man driven to do these things. I often think about when his mom dies, you think, oh, well, he's finally gonna be free of her influence. And if anything, it's gotten worse now because it's not physical anymore. There's nothing in here that gives him like an origin like a Jason or Michael Myers or a Freddy like these aren't you know, it's not supernatural? This is like is real to me. There's a lot of realism in this movie. Now. Could someone put this Charnel house inside their home, I don't know about that. That seems like it would take a while of work. But you know, my wife's a big true crime fan, and it feels like in the early seventies, late seventies, early eighties, you could get away with this. Today his Amazon list would get triggered, like.
Speaker 1: I don't know if you need to flame through cameras everywhere, right, Yeah, so you're not going to just walk into that story and buy and that's best to see.
Speaker 2: That, Yeah, Yeah, And I also like that and I'm sure we'll definitely get into it that there's a lot of people in his life that kind of want to reach out to him, like his co workers.
Speaker 1: And stuff, and I love that. So we can go and get sorried about that because my comp on Donnie is really Travis Bickle in taxi drivers, so we can kind of get into that. So the film starts out with Donnie is at work and I'm not sure what they do with this place exactly. There's definitely an incinerator involved. I'm not sure if the operation of this place is, but there's a guy who's loading stuff in the incinerator and there is some sort of flammable can that has been placed in the incinerator. Our poor guy he that cannisterer explodes and fire, he gets engulfed in flames, and do you did they teach do you think he knew stop, drop and roll? Because he just stands there and Donnie stands there too, because as we learn later, he's very triggered by fire.
Speaker 2: But this has to be like the best, like his Fourth of July, like to be that close to someone getting immolated, do you know what I mean? And like everybody else is like, please help this guy and throw something over him.
Speaker 1: And yeah, no, he's frozen because, as we learn later, he is traumatized by being burned by his mother as punishment. If he was who knows what he did that nothing would warrant this response from anyone, of course, but he his mother would hold his arms over an open flame and burn them as a punishment. Although and I have a have another question about that. I don't know if you noticed, but they black out Diamond, the brand named Diamond on the matches, like they black that out. I don't do you think they're for a Diamond match after them?
Speaker 2: For well, the whole lobby, the match lobby, who's very powerful. Big match, Yeah, big match, because like they're like you can imagine they're like, no, we're not going to flick our bicks and you should just use kitchen matches. Yeah, I think about that a lot. Like you know, there's also for arlely character. There's always one kid in your class that is fascinated by fire. I don't know if you had any of those in your class that will just lay.
Speaker 1: One of my sons is very really fascinated by fire.
Speaker 2: Oh man. They just want to light and hold, like just will light a whole box of matches, like that's their video game. And you're like cool, Like I don't want to hang out with this kid. I'm be that person. Though. My brother and I get way too into the Fourth of July. My wife is did not realize she grew up with a brother, younger brother, so, like you know, she'd not enjoyed the two boys abuse that happens when you have a brother. And we were just shooting bottle rockets at each other's faces and I melted my new glasses. She was like, you're fifty years old, and I'm like, yeah, I know. Like Fourth of July is awesome.
Speaker 1: So Donnie, after being traumatized by this workplace experience and berated by his boss for not doing anything, it goes back home. Well, first let's go back to his to this his coworker Bobby, because we're kind of touching on that. Bobby is his coworker who reaches out to him and says, you know, hey, you know that was tough. We come come out and have a drink and he's like, no, I got to go home. And but that's what one thing I love about this movie is that you do have this character of Bobby who is really trying to be Donnie's friend throughout this movie. And I wrote an article for the Physical Media Advocate. I'm kind of plugging here, part of the Someone's Favorite Productions Media Empire, which we are part of the Someone's Favorite Productions podcast network. So I wrote an article about taxi driver and it was about loneliness, kind of comparing through the lens of today. They had come out with article the Surgeon General about the epidemic of loneliness in today's society, and I was, you know, they Ryan Beryl had asked me to write an article about taxi driver, and I'm like, well, how can I write about taxi You know what was left to say? Yeah, about taxi driver? So rewatching it and that's kind of what left out to me it was how Travis never had he didn't have that person reach out to him. He tried, you know, and people try to say look now and paint him as an in cell. I guess and you could kind of maybe people would do that with Donnie to and I don't think that's necessarily the case. First of all, I don't think anyone can in a insul these days, because somebody. Everyone can find somebody. Yeah, they're some sort of app or it may not be the person you want, but you can. It's not involuntary celibus that you can find somebody.
Speaker 2: It's two people that found each other to talk about movies that hundreds of people saw in the seventies and are doing a podcast together. Yes, you can find people.
Speaker 1: So you know Travis, you know, he didn't know how to relate to Sybil Shepherd's character, and he tried to talk to the Peter Boyle other taxi driver character, and he just didn't really have anyone. I'm like, if Travis Bickle just had a friend, all of this could have been avoided maybe. And so here it was interesting to see this Bobby character, you know, where most people would look at Donnie and say, you know, like, no, I don't really want to reach out to him. You know, Bobby did want to reach out. Yeah, And so kudos to Bobby, even though he's a terrible husband, but.
Speaker 2: Later he's a seven guy. This is what I always think of, Like what most met at the mill were like my grandfather. If you lived in Pittsburgh, your grandfather, your dad worked in a steel mill, and like Mike, they parked a mile away and there were bars on the way back. So my grandfather every night would stop, he'd drink at the bar, and then he'd get home and he'd go to another bar, and then he would finally come home at some point. Right because you're working in a blast furnace all day and like it's I can't even imagine the terror of like when I complain about my job. Like he would come home and one side of him would be, you know, because part of it was outside, so like in the Pittsburgh winters, Like one side of him would be frostbitting, the other side would be you know, sunburned because of how hot it was. And you know, he had numerous friends that fell into the blast furnace and died and like these like you know, the kind of thing that happens to Dannie in this So it's like, you know, there's a lot of going out, drinking and going out, like you don't see your wife that often. My grandfather was more more devoted to the civilist than Bobby here. But like, you know, it reminds me of a lot of his friends, like where they also like they're kind of like, it's interesting that he reaches out the people, because you could very easily having a job like this, become like our lead, do you know what I mean, and just stay in your way in and not talk to anybody, and your life becomes work. And but at least he has Alisi has obbies.
Speaker 1: So he come Donnie comes home after that incident, and he finds his mother dead. We know nothing about this woman. She's dead, and he he starts jumping up and down on a furniture and I love this reaction, and you know, he's like you again, you have no background of what's happened in his life at this point, but he is so glad to finally be free of this woman. He starts jumping up and down on furniture. He lights, he smokes in the house and lights he puts out the cigarette on the statue's eye, and unfortunately that doesn't last very long as the voices start coming in.
Speaker 2: This is what I felt like when I got divorced the first time.
Speaker 1: The only un did.
Speaker 2: I smoked a joint in the house, and I was like, this is I'm finally fourteen year old Sam is free. I was like in my mid thirties. And then I remember I bought a steak because I could because my ex wife was vegan. So I bought a steak to eat, and I was all excited about I bought a steak and a bottled red wine. She had taken all the silverware, all the pots and pans like everything, so like, I, uh, I.
Speaker 1: Was gonna thought you were gonna say you couldn't find a corkscrew.
Speaker 2: Maybe I wound no corkscrew either. There was nothing, so I had to like do the trick where you like hammer the hammer the cork down. And I was like eating this like half raw steak that I could barely cook, and I was like, uh, there's a more mature way of dealing with this. But that's the saddest part of this to me. It's like if if he were free from this mother's influence in his head. Could he I don't know. I think he's so scarred by his life and by the things he's endured that he's on a one way train to what.
Speaker 1: I don't know if it had been this extreme, for sure, but he Yeah, that's a good question. What would his life be like if his voices hadn't started and it would still be he's still damaged. But could he have some sort of relationship with someone?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Probably not. It wouldn't last.
Speaker 2: Probably. I always think about that. That's a problem. I think for some insults, because they weremanticize and put on a pedestal, I maybe I'm speaking to myself, sixteen year old me where I was always. I often think like when I was sixteen, I was like, why why don't any girls want to go out with me? In my small town? And now that I think about it, like I was a weird metal kid that was obsessed with leather face and sat in his room and drank and played guitar all day, which is not a lot different than than fifty year old Sam. Just I walked out and know how to communicate with women a little bit, hopefully a little better.
Speaker 1: By now you know, there probably weren't a lot of girls of the eighties looking for that guys, especially if you know they're looking forward whatever they're looking for in movies of the eighties, you know those, yeah, exactly, shock time.
Speaker 2: Well also though, if you watch these eighties like teen comedies, you think that that's the way is a guy that you should be, which is very in cel where I'm going to buy her the best gifts and I'm going to show her I'm gonna white night this. I'm like, no, that's it doesn't work out. Uh So I walked out. I am very lucky to be married to Becca because when we were first dating, like our second or third date, went to her house to pick her up, She's like, hey, I'm not ready yet, just sit downstairs and watch TV. And I'm like, okay. She's like, I was finishing The blob and it was the remake of The Blob and she's like, I really like grub a teen's effects in it. And I was like, okay, well, I'm going to marry this girl. Like at this point, like I don't know, like that feels like a jackpot, you know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I love that Blobber remake. It was filmed in Louisiana and oh yes, I will say real fast in case we didn't cover this. I'm from Louisiana currently live in Arkansas, so that's that's my region. When we get in the regional horror, I'm really interested in Louisiana and Arkansas. Uh, there's a few in the book, not a whole lot, but enough so then from Arkansas. It's an encounter of the unknown. Have you seen No One? Directed by Harry Thomason who went on to do Designing Women and Searhead the Kids an f ob.
Speaker 2: O g f B.
Speaker 1: Anyway back to Don't Go in the House. After Donnie comes home and the voice is kick in, he goes out and goes into this floorist shop which was closed, but he convinces the lady in the shop to reopen the store for him to buy flowers for mother because his mother's really sick. And he also, I guess before that he finds at that sporting goods store. He finds that asbestosy right, and the flamethrower.
Speaker 2: How does that? Where'd you buy these things like pre Amazon?
Speaker 1: The at the local sporting goods store? And that was one thing they hit because he looked they should a shot of like they had these knives laid out and I can't have guns laid out or not. But that was another. It reminded me a taxi driver whenever the guy comes and lays out all the guns for Travis to pick one, but he sees all those and he's like, no flamethrower.
Speaker 2: I've often thought about buying a flame thrower for when the winter comes here. I'm from Pittsburgh and you know, like when the walk is bad, and I'm like, no, that's not why they make them. They make them. They're not made for anything other than setting human beings on fire, do you know what I mean? Like that's what this has been made for.
Speaker 1: That's all I've seen them in movies for.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Like there's not people like out there like doing roadwork with a flamethrower. Like, so I realized I probably should have known one. Also, like how do you tell your neighbors you have one? It's just funny though, Like that store reminds me of the stores in Chopping Mall where it's like every machine of part that we need is available in this store. Like there's that sporting good store in Chopping Bonnets, Like there's gas hands, there's flaming arrows, there's everything available for the characters, and for him, it's like, oh yeah, let's go to Dick's and get in this best of suit. Yeah. I don't know if if sporting good stories carry them in, why would they carry them anyway? But you know what, it's because we're in a movie. That's the what I always say, like we're in a movie.
Speaker 1: I would say that, but I think the store really had you know, did they walk by this window and say that maybe that window was already displayed that.
Speaker 2: Way, like what kids met that we've found? This is best a suit? Shoot it, no, permit, make it happen.
Speaker 1: Right, So he gets this floors named Kathy, Bless her heart. She she misses her bus because she was dealing with Donnie and these flowers. And Donnie says, hey, let me let me give you a right home. I'm going that way, which I mean, come on girl, Yeah, but anyway, she does, and then she he says, well, let me just I got to get these flowers in water, of course, so let me just in real fast and check out mom and get these flowers on the water. And she you know, the name of the movie is don't go in the house, which is not the original title, but uh, it's good advice and they really should not have gone in this house.
Speaker 2: And Kathy especially, no, this is this movie has I've learned so many lessons from my life. I was actually I have flirted with writing a book about how watching slasher movies can save your life, and I think horror movies that in a whole way can save your life, like I will never go to a tropical island after seeing Zombie, to my wife's chagrin. I'm like, she's tried a couple of times to get us to go on cruises, and I'm like, have you seen what gets down on the tool? Like it's bad there and in the same way here, Like if I was a floorist, I would never go home with a customer. I wouldn't get in the car, like I'm afraid of people, and uh right, and with good reason, because I've seen these movies. These movies have trained me to distrust people with the flame fetishes.
Speaker 1: So Kathy gets incineratous. Can you explain how Donnie has fashioned this room in this house? What has he done?
Speaker 2: It's just like a giant sheet metal like it's amazing that he's That's the thing that's crazy is like he built this himself. Like the engineering to make this room and to like fire proof it and to put it within this house is like even though he's a horrible person, you know, and a criminal, he does have like a high level of intelligence, but it's very specialized. I guess in cel intelligence right that it's like this is my fascination, and I will make this room. But like he has like hooks that are there for people, and he can properly put the women up. The rest of the house isn't going to catch on fire. The smell of it's not going to get out the wort other people in his neighborhood. He's really he put it all together.
Speaker 1: We don't really get a lot. I mean we see him kind of doing it, but we don't think in any kind of background of how.
Speaker 2: This isn't like a money pit kind of thing where we have an extended montage.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we needed a needed a montage.
Speaker 2: Would imagine if it had like like one of those songs it's like in an eighties teen comedy, like a starship song. As he's like hammering together this little little thing and he's looking at Oh I did it.
Speaker 1: Well, yeah, nothing's gonna stop us now.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, exactly. We built this city and he's just like they're making making his little uh death room. I mean, I guess this feels like me, like I've done home repair and stuff and I hate it. So kudos to him for knowing how to do it. But it looks it looks really professional, do you know what I mean? Like it doesn't look like some that Donnie did it, Like, do you think he maybe how would he bring in Like it's so hard to hire, uh, you know people that I just hire people to do my shed and I had to call him back and have him fixed stuff like it's you know, it's.
Speaker 1: Hard to hire the seventies. It was easier in the seventies.
Speaker 2: Do you think there were just people that you could trust and they'd be like please still telling anyone that they like, No, we get it. You're gonna kill people in this room and you'll probably kill us too, So we're cool. You keep your secret, that's fine.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so Kathy. Yeah, so Kathy is hung up from that book and incinerated in a very brutally scary scene. Still to this day, I watched this film and had the commentary from Joseph Ellison and his wife who is Her name is Ellen. She was the producer on this film. And I love this commentary because she just kind of gushes over the film. She's like, like, this film's so good. And he's like, Oh, I'm glad you, I'm glad you're really finally saying this fifty years later, how good this is. But she was almost screaming at this scene.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, she's also Bobby's wife in the movie. She's uncradated, but that's her. Yeah, it's like, are those digital flames?
Speaker 1: I didn't understand how they did it, and they go into it in the book of They had some camera angle and a prism and they had a dummy that they set on fire, and the way they it kind of superimposed on one another. And it was so disturbing that Joseph Ellison said he had to look up from the camera and risk light coming into the lens. He was afraid that this woman was really on fire from what he was looking in the camera and seeing.
Speaker 2: It's that's kind of like the effects thing of like is this could this get out of hand? Could this become real? Because it feels like a how do you even test this? Or like I can't even imagine like explaining it to an actress. Okay, first off, we're gonna hang you up and then we're gonna make it look like you're on fire, but you won't be. Don't worry, and you're like, oh, I'm inside this house in New Jersey with like eight weird dudes. But the one guy brought his wife, who's the producer, and she told me it'll be okay, Like it's it seems it seems terrifying to be in this movie. This movie, doesn't I always say when I was a kid, I'm like, man, I wish I was an actress. These movies look like fun. This movie does not look like it was fun to be in. Like this movie looks harrowing at times, and like people survived the scenes that they were in versus like acting in them, especially this scene, because like if it upsets you now, like I can't imagine what people thought in the seventies when they saw it. And it's funny because like how many movies like U got protested right that played. I believe that a lot of those protests that happened on forty Second Street were engineered by the producers, right so that people would find out about the movies. But like this one is like that's why I really love this movie. But this is not a movie that it feels like you can triumph to people. You're like, you know, my favorite movie is doing that. It's like I think you can say maniac because people are like, oh, there's t shirts Maniac and like it's been merchandised a bit and stuff. But they're both really scuzzy movies.
Speaker 1: They are really dark, I mean just dark, yeah, sad movies.
Speaker 2: I was shocked when they showed the trail of this at the drive in. My wife's like, I really want to see that. I'm like, I don't think you want to see it, Like and I know that she loves true crime, and but it's like this is rough, Like this like I'll go to do a triple feature night of like this New York Ripper and Maniac and whoever comes, we're just going to put him on a watch list.
Speaker 1: This starts a series of murders for Donnie. So the second one is I wonder how many childhood fears we're gonna discover as we go through this book, because one childhood fear of mine is that I just knew it was gonna happen to me, is having the stranded car on the side of the road, on a deserted strip of a highway or whatever. And that's what happened. I opened up the hood of my car and I'm like, I don't know, but she was. She was trying to figure out what's going on. Donnie shows up and he takes her and you know, gonna help her, and of course takes her to that we don't really see anymore incinerating, thank goodness, but you know, she is victim number two. And then victim number three is this woman in a store in a convenience store, which I had a lot of questions about, mainly when did two liter coca cola become a thing? And I didn't find this out, So film filmed in nineteen seventy nine. Two lid Coca Cola nineteen seventy eight, so it was fairly new products.
Speaker 2: Are you old enough to remember when two leaders also had the extra plastic thing on the bottom. They had that little cup to hold the bottom of the two leader. Today they don't have that. They just have like the little bumps on the bottom.
Speaker 1: I don't know, I don't remember that. We didn't have a I think we were more just canned canned coke more than a two because a two leader would go flat so fast, so we never really bought those. And then they came out with three Leader, which is even worse.
Speaker 2: But I tell my wife all the time, like she's like, why do you put so much ice in your drinks? And I said, as a kid, we did not have. This is goes into my bad childhood, not as bad as Donny's. I had a great childhood, but I would my parents only bought three leaders because we didn't have a lot of money and you could get like a three leader of like yeah, And my parents didn't use or put the pop in the fridge, which today like I have a fringe just for sodas and beer done here in my office. And I remember just hearing that three Leader in the middle of the night popping from heat, knowing you I knowing that there was no gas in it and no you know he bubbles in it, and knowing that, and my dad would always say, like, we kids aren't getting another soda until you drink that three lead, And my brother would always be like you got to finish it, you got it, and it would just be like brown water at that point, just the worst flattest that's I should have just drank tab, like you mean, it tasted like tab, a lot like tab and maybe that's how I got a taste for the weird drinks that I make from this. But yeah, she does buy two later and to she doesn't even get to drink it because we see Donnie's truck pull up.
Speaker 1: Outside and it's just like, this is this an unintentional comedian moment because it made me laugh out loud whenever because she's just He's like, let me help you, let me carry this bag, and she's like, no, get away from me. And then it just cuts to his truck in front of the house and you see the three corpses, and I just love, like is this supposed to be funny, because I think it's hilarious.
Speaker 2: We've already established like comedy works in threes, so like at this point, we don't need to see the first one we see like this very extended death, the second one we see a little in the third one where like, you guys know what happens. You know that he Burner's right.
Speaker 1: So then we see he sets them up in chairs. His mother is, I guess in another room, I guess. And so we spend a lot of that second act in the house with Donnie and these these corpses and he's interacting with them. I think the first thirty minutes of this movie are just so tight and you're just so engaged with it, and then was like the second act. A lot of times in horror movies, the second acts are always a letdown because you know you have the first act in that last act. Usually that ramps back up in the second act. Is can be a little bit of adultrum. But I was still here for it because he is just kind of hanging ound the house talking to these corpses, slap on them around.
Speaker 2: Sometimes it demands a lot of the actor because he's carrying that whole section of the movie. And Don Cohler, who played him, it's crazy. He has a bachelor's degree in math, a master's and operations research, and a PhD in data processing, so he in addition to doing this, he was teaching college and he also he was on the Sopranos. That's probably the other role he was the Twins, The Presea Twins. But he said that like these, a lot of scends in this movie were so grueling that he just had to go home and cry after them that they were upset. There was no like a grief counselor on the side of the film or NMC coordinator. It's just like, yeah, just yeah, you're going to be a lunatic, and hopefully you could deal with the emotions that this unlocks within you as you make the film.
Speaker 1: I guess I never even thought about that. We don't think about actors too much on their mental stability. Just give us what we want and give us that entertainment, and.
Speaker 2: Yeah, can what is my motivation for the scene where I slap around corpses and crank up some music, dance around the room in between my kills and he's going for it.
Speaker 1: I love that his slap and they're in the rocking chair. He slaps him in Yeah you get the POV from the Corpse of the Rocky and looking back at Donnie, I mean, that's this is Joseph Ellison's first film, and that's crazy to me to think like he just he gets it, and it's a shame he didn't do more.
Speaker 2: It's edited really well too, Like it comes together, like, especially with all the different shots, like it could very easily fall apart, do you know what I mean? With all the things that are happening, and to me, it just works really well. Jane Carson, who edited it, also did she did Pumping Iron before this, and we're going to do another serial killer movie, Monster, which is That's something that I'm sure we'll get into. But like almost all of the crew on this went on to much bigger things than this movie. It's it's wild, like it's like an all star behind the.
Speaker 1: Camera kind of who's the cinema photographer? Because he he did The Honeymoon Killers. I can't remember his name.
Speaker 2: Is Oliver Wood.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, he had like Martin Scorsese had hired him for The Honeymoon Killers before he was unceremoniously fired from that project.
Speaker 2: He shot Die Hard Too and Face Off in the Born Identity films. But my favorite credit for him is, uh he shot mc hammer's Too Legit to Quit and the Cue the Wing Serpent, which is a much better credit to have on your CV uh than that, and morebius. We won't say anything that he did morebius.
Speaker 1: Wow, I do remember the too Legit to Quit video?
Speaker 2: So oh you got to do the too the thing right legit to quit?
Speaker 1: So, uh, let me ask you your you you have a Catholic background, So there there is some Catholicism, yeah, embedded in this movie. He goes to the church to to steal some holy water, have any inside And I.
Speaker 2: Know when we moved into when my mom moved into they moved into the house, the first thing they did was go around holy water to the house. Like that's a big deal to Catholics, Like it's you know, you're sealing the house from spirits. Also, like a lot of Catholicism is based on lighting candles and you know, like you light a candle for someone, especially if someone's recently died, like he should be doing that for his mom. It reminds me.
Speaker 1: A while he lit something, all right, Yeah, but oh yeah.
Speaker 2: Some human candles, human lanterns. Also, like this reminds there Another movie that this plays well with is Alice, Sweet Alice, which is wild period piece. It's in the same area, do you know what I mean, Like between New Jersey and New York and playing with like the how Catholicism can be damaging it's it makes sense that he's Catholic because even today, I haven't gone to church in twenty twenty five years outside of funerals and stuff. The guilt that you have, like I've seen movies and stuff, like I remember Louis did an episode about it where they went to Good Friday Mass and the priest told them in excruciating detail all the things Jesus went through when he was crucified. One hundred percent. They did that to us, and like in like they put up medical charts and stuff, and they're like, and now you're upset that you have to be in church for an hour and you can't get back to the things that you want to do. Jesus on across for like fourteen hours, and this is the stuff he went through. And as a case, I'm like six right. I also had a priest that was obsessed with the movie Alive, and he would tell sermons about the movie Alive and they never connected, like there was like I was always like fucking Joe, like how does this come together? And he would always tell the story is told of it. Argentinean soccer team they crashed in the Andes and were forced to eat each other and he's like, and God was there. God was there for them, Like, no, I don't know if God was there for them. This is they went through it, and like it left me with more questions and answers. I think it's a kind of religion that can become either crutch for people or can and there's good things to it too, spoiler, but like it feels like for him it's like something that added to his mother's beating down on him. Maybe if we saw some more of the stuff with the mom, you know, did that tie into stuff? Also, like the idea that as a kid, it was terrifying, like I didn't want to do anything bad because I knew it would have to go to confession at some point. And it's the worst thing to tell a priest. Like I waited around a corner for my brother to come out and I hit him with a rock and a priest is like, why would you do that? Mike? He did it to me a week ago, and I thought I should get him back, and they're like, okay, well say this prayer and it'll solve you with your sin. I'm like, maybe I'm a lunatic and my brother and I should be kept away from each other.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so he does. He does a friend a priest, and I'm from Protestant background, so you get more of a personal experience with the Protestant preaching or a preacher. Uh you know the Baptist preaching hut that you're always taking out to lunch romania at the door, so there is I feel like there's more of a connection. Do you get a lot of personal connection with the priest.
Speaker 2: We lucked out that my church growing up had a lot of young priests and that were really connected to our community and would hang out a lot, so that was positive. The other church in my town had one of the biggest abusers in the diocese and they would continually shuffle in from place to place. So like, I wanted to be a older boy so badly, and my Mom's like, you can't because they'll make you serve there. And then you know, I almost said his name. I'm not going to say his name, but he would uh my worry would be he'd be like, you know, Sam's just a little too chubby for me. That's horrible. Yeah, that's horrible. But anyway, I think the Catholic Mass, unlike when I finally started going to other churches when I got older. The Catholic Mass is all based around this mystery that if you are to take it literally, the priest is like turning the communion, the water and wind into Jesus's body blood. So there's this transmorrification happening. And they even call it like the mystery of faith, and like there's a lot of moments within the Mass where they talk up that the priest is God's voice on earth. So it's like you've almost created this like mystery person, do you know what I mean? And this like magical energy around this person, and now you're like asked to relate to this person and tell them things about your life. I remember when I got divorced, someone said we should talk to your priest about that. Like he's never been married, Like he's never been an abusive relationship, do you I mean all these things that he doesn't what was he versus? Like you know a lay minister or like you know a minister, and they're living the real world and living the real life. So how we say Catholic priests are kind of like it's still a strange thing to me, like in this time that we're in, now that they live this almost separate existence from the rest of us.
Speaker 1: So we have the priest, and we also we have Bobby. Bobby kind of comes back in to the scene about this time. Donnie reaches out out to Bobby and says, hey, let's go to the movie, and Bobby says, forget that, let's go to the disco. You see the director, Joseph Ellison's wife, Ellen as Bobby's wife in this scene, and she's corraling the kids and doing this and that while he's planning a night on the town when he has these two women to invite to this disco, and you know that's so Donnie has to go. If you're going to the disco. He didn't have any outfits for this disco. In a kind of a Carrie Carry moment, maybe prom shopping, but not quite not that slapstick or anything. But he goes to a store to buy clothes to go to the disco. And I've seen a lot of people say that the salesperson here really sees the sucker coming and really upsells a lot of stuff.
Speaker 2: I don't.
Speaker 1: I'm not so sure.
Speaker 2: What do you think?
Speaker 1: First of all, Van Houston, but they did not black out Van Houston like they did Dying and so I love a Van Houston dress shirt. It's my it's my go to choice for dress shirts.
Speaker 2: I think I don't think he sees him as a mark. I just think that this is just another example that when Donnie has to deal with normal reality, it's always just a little strange. And it's like he's never when has he ever worn a dress shirt? Do you know what I mean? Like he's mostly where does he go home? And his job? So like this is such an alien place. I'm glad they didn't do a pretty woman montage here where you know he's like coming.
Speaker 1: Out and you're like, what about this other he didn't. He was not travel on the Matador, which is now this red color of a bullfighter's cape.
Speaker 2: I love that, like, and I lived through this right because like I remember when I was like five, I've been five and seventy seven when Disco finally reached the suburbs right with Saturad Night Fever, and I remember like every wedding we went to people were wearing like kind of Travalda ish kind of things. And it's amazing that like that happened in America for a while, that guys were encouraged to dress up in today. It's just like I always thought that, like in the future, we would have like Jetson's fashions and it's gonna be cargo shorts and T shirts for the rest of my one dresses up for anything, And this is like the last gasp, but people dressing up like we're going to go to the club and I'm going to dress like a man.
Speaker 1: At Yeah, I think if he had bought that matat or shirt, that'd have been ridiculous. I think what he wears his fine. That suit is very contrivult ish. I think it looks fine.
Speaker 2: I think it's funny that like music based movies led to fashion stuff because when I was in middle school, that's when breakdancing was big, right, And but again, my hometown is like three thousand people in western Pennsylvania, and the j C Pennies in our town got breakdance stuff like two years too late. And my grandmother bought me like a cut off shirt that said breakdance across it and like it didn't have sleeves, and like you know, I had to wear it to school, and my dad taught it to school, so of course he'd be there and see if I wore it or not, and I was just like, I'm going to get my ass kicked if i wear this outfit. So in the same way like I probably was wearing Miami vice stuff and disco stuff a year after everybody else and getting beat up for my sartorial choices. So today it's just black T shirts and shorts.
Speaker 1: I'm not going to mean were you wearing Jams too, You can tell us.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, yeah, Jams specific Yeah, Mike, Well, when when they went out of style, I had the Jams dress shirts. I don't know if you remember they did dress shirts, and my dad loved them, and he took them and he was an art teacher and he would wear them. He at least wore them into the early two thousands, like he loved Jams. I'm waiting for that trend to come back. Also, you had to tuck your remember you had to tuck your t shirt into the pockets that people would see. Oh, I'm definitely wearing Jams like I'm not. These aren't knockouts that I got.
Speaker 1: Well, my mom used to make them for me, you know, because by the brand name James. Why buy them when you can make them so. Yeah, this lady at the disco, she seems really into Donnie and she's trying to get him out there on the dance floor. Yeah, unfortunately there is a poorly placed candle.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, this scene is the most upsetting scene in the entire movie to me, right, uh it is.
Speaker 1: It is very memorable. Something to do to this is that initial flamethrower scene and this one she is pulling him.
Speaker 2: It's on the back of the severn box like it is. I know this is a visual podcast, but like it says, you've been worn on the back of he and there's just a woman's head on fire. Those candles have always upset me, those like jelly kind of candles, and I'm like that, why did they wet those out? And this movie totally tells me, Like in the same way you were upset about breaking down on a road as a kid, I was like, somebody's had is gonna get explode, and this movie like shows you what happens.
Speaker 1: I still feel that way. At Christmas at a candlelight service where the women their hair so hair sprayed, these little children, they give these little children a candle and they're just not aware of where they're placing this candle. And I just always fear every year that someone's hair is gonna go up and flams, just like in this movie.
Speaker 2: I think we've reached the point where and I don't know if your wife buys as many candles as mind. My wife is like bad beath beyond in body Works, gold Member of candles. There's more candles in this house in the Catholic church, and it's insane and I will not touch them, like I am afraid of fire, because I've watched this movie enough that I you know, my head could I have long air, My head could explode at any moment.
Speaker 1: So luckily, my wife is very sensitive to sense, so we have so that is one fear I do not have. Oh my god, but why was she trying to pull him over this railing in the first place to get him? Why didn't she walk around? I'm not trying to victim blame here, but no.
Speaker 2: No, anyway, just imagine like in the hospital she's like, well, you know, I was like if she survives, and she's like, I was just trying to dance with this weird with drawn in so guy, I tried to pull him over the legend and my whole head caught on fire.
Speaker 1: And he he really has a mental break here because he grabs that candle and shoves it in her head and it immediately catches on fire. And this is this is another scary moment in real life. I'm sure for that actress because it was an actress in a wig and they there were again no special effects. This was real flame on her head on this wig, and she was not harmed. No actresses were harmed. This amazing physically maybe mentally, but yeah.
Speaker 2: Could you imagine like if you go in for a for your next role and you're like, what what kind of stuff you've been in? Michael? I was in a movie called The Burning man Ache, Don't go in the House and they set my head on fire with a candle and a disco like, are you ready to read for your part?
Speaker 1: Reading for some Shakespearean role.
Speaker 2: I think the difference with this in Maniac is like he even if he got one of these girls, like there's no sexual interest whatsoever for him. Ye, Like he's just like I've just said her on fire, it's cool. I'm I don't need to have sex with her, and and it's versus like I think Joe Spinell was kind of like, yeah, all of it, and he's sweaty and ready to go, and and he's just like, I don't my mother would not like that.
Speaker 1: So after that he Donnie very swiftly leaves the disco very fast. He doesn't run, it's a very fast walk to leave. And the girl's brother finds out he They have an altercation in the parking lot, but Donnie gets out of that, gets in his truck and goes back to the house. And well, on the way to the house, he picks up a couple more women and I can't exactly remember what their trouble was. They needed a ride and end up back in the house. Again they should not go into the house, but it kind of leads to me, really the final one, maybe the scariest moment of all, and it's the way that Ellison shoots this. Is that the one. I guess there's a blonde and brunette. I'm terrible with character names, by the way, We'll just say that up front. And it's like, I know, Donnie and movie, there was a movie, and by because I wrote it down, I don't write it down. I'm not remember there was a movie I watched. It was called gosh see, I don't even remember what the movie is now, Once It's Not Enough. It's based on the Sidney Sheldon book. I was watching it because Brenda Vcaru was in it. I just watched The House by the Lake. Oh yeah, and she's in that. And that was another thing when I was like, it's like, man, this actor, she's really good in House by the Lake. It was like, what else was she in? I was like, she was nominated for an Oscar before this for this movie Once is Not Enough? Which is this like Sidney Sheldon soap opera, Kurt Douglass. It's crazy anyway. Kurt Douglas's daughter's name that movie is January, and I will if I have dementia, I'll never forget because they say her name seven hundred times in that movie. They just keep saying January Genuy.
Speaker 2: I really worry, uh because my dad had to mension and would like sometimes thought he was sixteen and would I couldn't can figure out how I was his son looking as old as I do. And I worry that when I have dementia, I'm gonna think that people are characters from Italian movies where I would just be like, where is black Emmanuel and my wife would be like, please stop it, like just stop it, and I'm like, I can't help it. My dad did tell me the best part of having it was that every show was new all the time. He said to me. Once watching Murder, she wrote, He's like, I know I've seen this one. He's like, but I don't know what happens, and he goes. And if there's anything positive about where I'm at right now, it's this. I Every show's new to me. Everything's new, everything's new. I could find a whole bunch of new shallow. I could do this epistroke.
Speaker 1: I already felt that way now when I watch Jalla and I'm like, oh, I don't remember if I rewatched one. I'm like, I don't remember who.
Speaker 2: Watched Lizard a Woman's Skin at the drive in and Bill asked me, He's like, is she the killer? And I'm like, I don't really think that's important. I really just think it's the journey that we take. And also there's a bat attack in that movie that's awesome, and uh, that's what I'm here for. Like the vibes, it's like when you go to a bar and you're like, I want the ambience of sin, like when you're in a bar or strip club. That's kind of what a jalloh is to me. It's just like, ah, it's kind of scuzzy here, like that's anger.
Speaker 1: Who cares?
Speaker 2: Who cares?
Speaker 1: Who did it? That's not really what that's not here.
Speaker 2: It's the same way as David Lynch was like that with Twin Peaks, where I love at the end of the season, people are like regular America and the Yeah, A TV guide was like, who killed Wara Palmer And he's like, oh, is that what about? It's really not about.
Speaker 1: That to me, and I love watching it in through that lens of it. It's not that's not about who did It's about these characters. You know. It's like it's basically like Northern Exposure. But yeah, with the murder subplot.
Speaker 2: I just remember people in school talking about it and being so angry about it, like upset people so much. They're just like, is he to get to the point? And I was like, I hope not. I love it like I you know, I was totally in for whatever happened, Like I had the diary and I had like all the audiobook and all this stuff. I was like, I love that this world exists. And they probably hated the last season, which goes into places that you're not ready for. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Uh, like I said, we're here for a hang. We just want a good hang. We don't we don't care about a whole lot of.
Speaker 2: Them, even if the person we're hanging with is setting random women on fire and discos and uh talking to his dead mom, like, or who are we to judge? Yeah, who are we to judge?
Speaker 1: I'm sorry, I don't remember these girls, these characters' names. There's there's the brunette is already put into the room, the still room, and the blonde friend is going up the stairs looking for and this is this show really took me back because he has the camera place at the foot of the stairs. I guess there's a landing, but you know, there's a foot of the stairs, and she's climbing up the stairs and she turns to the left, and then you the cameras stationary, and then from the right you see Donnie Cross across come across there. If you're watching this in nineteen teventy nine, that has to be super scary.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think I always try to put myself in characters shoes too. So the fact that she's looking for her friend, she's in a house. That's a horrifying thing to me is being in a house, especially as a kid, Like when you'd stay at someone's house and you're like, I don't know what's in this house? Do you know what I mean? Like, I don't. I haven't like memorized the layout of it.
Speaker 1: I'm not say, And that was a big house, Like what, yeah, so that was the Strauss Mansion where you have some information about that the setting of that house.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's it's in Atlantic Highlands, New Jersey, and uh it was built in eighteen ninety three, and it was obviously fogging into decay as you can tell from the movie. But uh, it was going to be condemned in Allen Hamill, who you know is the director's wife, secured it and then after the movie the local historical society restored it. What I love is most historical societies are obviously very stuffy. They showed this movie every year and invite people to watch it at Halloween, and it's like they're fundraiser. I can't imagine that people come to the fundraiser. It'd be like, what a fun movie, What an enjoyable time at the But there's another movie, What Lives Here, that was made last year. A junk removal company is hired to clean out a mansion. But The Sinister Pass was also filmed at the Strauss Mansion. But this is the thing that I love about these regional films is they're really succeeded a lot of times based on the location that they find. And this is like a location that isn't built, do you know what I mean, Like a Hollywood location, they would just build these rooms and they do like a b roll shot of a house, you know, or they'd find the same house. You've seen a bunch of movies seeing this house and like how big it is. It's on the poster, do you know what I mean? Like it's a major plot point, Like this this house is like terrifying to come to and he's the only person living in it, along with you know, a rapidly growing collection of burned up bodies and a dead mom somewhere.
Speaker 1: How cold do you think it was in that house? Oh my god, you can see their breath. Oh it had to be the worst.
Speaker 2: Yeah, especially too like when it comes to filming, there's so much of like hurry up and wait stuff, So I can't imagine. And you know, there was I don't think there was craft services if anything, people at the thermos of coffee. Maybe it just looks yeah, like I said, this does not look like a fun movie to film.
Speaker 1: No, no, So I guess. We get to the finale, Bobby, after dispatching with the woman who's at the disco's hair had caught on fire, runs to the church, grabs the priest. They go back to try to help them again. They are doing the most to help Donnie. If the friend I came with said someone there on fire, I don't know if I'd be going. Yeah, I can't say I'm that kind of a friend, I guess. But the priest in Psycho, there is a There are a lot of Psycho references here, one of them being here at the end where the priests going up the stairs and Donnie meets him. He's in his asbesta suit with the flame there were like Norman Bates in his mother's dress, and you know the priests. The priest gets flamed. Yeah, everyone kind of leaves and Donnie's left with those corpses and the two women get rescued. Everyone's gone, and it's just Donnie with the corpses who spring to life. And according to the book, these people are not the same actresses. Who were they. They got skinnier actresses, right, Yeah, they got ballet dancers because Joseph Ellison was big and he had worked with a ballet company and he wanted as the bodies as days went on, the bodies would dehydrate lose water, so they would be smaller. But you know, the intent being that audiences would think these were Mannquins the whole time, but they're not their actual actresses, and they spring to life and they attack Donnie, similar to the Endomaniac. Of course, it's it's.
Speaker 2: So close, isn't it. Yeah, it's versus Like Frank Zita seems to have a deeper relationship with the the court, like he talks to them about I love the one speech, whereas like I told you what happens when you go out, like this happens every time. This has happened before. But yeah, like I think the other thing interesting about both movies is there's really not a final girl. Like the the dead corpses and the I guess symbolize the guilt, and in both movies they finally get to him. Though there was supposed to be a maniac too, which is an even crazier story. But uh, I don't know who was like begging for him to come back like you loved them in the first one. And then you know, if we followed the traditional slash recycle by the fourth movie, he'd be funny and cracking jokes.
Speaker 1: Well that's a fire pun.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, have some fire scarecrow and like, you know, the woman's out on fire, and like, oh, I love him. He's such a such a misunderstood boy. No, he's not, like he's a horrible person, Like at least this movie does not allow you to empathize or be excited. Like even as a slasher gorehound kid, I would always be like, why are why do people love Freddy so much? Like he is at best a child abuser, at worst a child pedroist, and we're like, oh, he's funny. I guess sense of humor goes a long way, you know.
Speaker 1: Well, once he puts those shades on at the beach in part yeah, that that doesn't I think.
Speaker 2: Also when he calls this is the horrible part of our society. Once he starts calling women bitch, they're like, oh, that's funny. He's talking down to these women. So I think that's the difference between this and Maniac is that there's a ton of women in this movie that were in vital production roles like Ellen hamilcover At the screenplay, produced it, Janekerson edited it. Sarah Wood was the art director. Dianson said it was production manager. Monica Lang was the second unit. So this wasn't like an all guy cast, So it feels like maybe that helped. Even though this is a movie about women getting killed, like it's never like presented as like these women had a coming or they were you know that.
Speaker 1: This is like it was just wrong place at the wrong time, which is very similar to what was going on in the landscape in the seventies of women being in the wrong place at the wrong time. With these with the Ted Bundy's and.
Speaker 2: The versus Maniac, a lot of it is and I love Maniac, so don't get me wrong, but a lot of it's like, oh, these are fallen women and he's killing prostitutes, and it's like, you know, versus like these women aren't these are just women trying to buy a two letter forest, you know, yeah, right, the florest and what what had the victims together? They all love Coca Cola, only in two laters, though they liked a hot two later of Coca Cola, and just upset in because his mother used to burn his hand.
Speaker 1: And made him drink hot flat coke that had been sitting in the car for.
Speaker 2: Two days coming from advertising. The craziest story is doctor Pepper was upset that people weren't buying Doctor Pepper over Christmas at one point. And if you know this, and they came up with the recipe for like a hot Doctor Pepper that head clothes and lemons in it. It's I've made it. It's horrible. But they literally had TV commercials like it's almost Christmas and that means it's time for a hot Doctor Pepper. Doctor Pepper has stuff in it that is not made to be hot, like you got to make it super cold to make it drinkable.
Speaker 1: And I like it. I can't think of any soft drink hot that.
Speaker 2: Would be it, right, But they were like, you know, how do we make something better in the winter. Let's let's throw some pop on the stove. I couldn't piping hot burners or.
Speaker 1: Then serve it next to your jello mold and camento cheese sandwich.
Speaker 2: We need to bring back this Gell and Woltz. I imagine that our killer's mom made like the kind of jello that had like fish and stuff at it, and he was like, I can't wait till she's gone.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, and I wonder he's jumping up and down on furniture, and so at the very end we get a codea kind of a public service announcement square.
Speaker 2: I'm real.
Speaker 1: Of this child. I guess he just wasn't listening to his mother. I don't know his mother was. She's on a she's out of ten, she is fed up, she's had enough, and she just comes in and just slaps this poor kid around. And then the freeze frame on the kid of kind of uh, this is he's gonna be the next Donnie. He's gonna take up. And that could be the don't don't go back in the house. Maybe maybe follow that kid and see what's he up to now after getting slapped around by his mom. Yeah, and then Q struck by boogie lightning.
Speaker 2: So what is it?
Speaker 1: What is a better discuss song was a better discus song. Struck by Boogie Lightning from Don't Go in the House or Belly Boogie form Alty Girl Massacre.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, that's a rough one. Oh they're the same song, this one. I like the phrase that there's boogie lightning, that that surmises that there is a form of lightning that has achieved sentience and is really good at dancing, and then that leads to the song.
Speaker 1: Uh. We had a guy had work one time, so I'm a pharmacist. We had a guy who came in to do like the destructions. Whenever medicines expire, they have a guy come in or a person come in who goes through all the destructions and you can get some credit back for expired medicines. Anyway, that's all boring. So anyway, we have the radio going and it's it's raining men on the radio station, and so the guy's leaving and he's like, does anybody know what the weather is gonna be out there? And I said, I don't know, but the radio scene is raining men out there. So he did not think that was funny.
Speaker 2: So I used to wrestle with these guys. Sexual harassment was their gimmick, and when they would come out, the announcer would say, I've just been handed a note from the National Weather Service and like, uh urgent storm warning, and you know, people are like, oh, do we have to leave the wrestling show and go home? And then it's raining. Men would start and people would lose their minds screaming at them. They would just be so upset that the song was playing.
Speaker 1: I don't know they property were supposed to be screaming because you're so excited about I know, right if they should have used Boogie Lightning.
Speaker 2: Also, I'm sure they were like, can we use this one furno for this movie? But is that two on the nose?
Speaker 1: Do you know what it would be? Two on the notes? I think yeah, too much.
Speaker 2: If you see in some of the movies we're gonna watch like they just didn't worry. They're like, yeah, just use that song. No one will ever know. The Astrologer is my favorite, where he used like six Moody Blues songs and then sent them Moody Blues a bill and said, hey, this is for being in my movie. That's why you can't find it. That's why you're gonna go to the Internet archive. Uh, to get it.
Speaker 1: So that's that's the end of Don't Go in the House. Yeah. One thing about this podcast that I really want to do is to be able to go through the book and I'm gonna say and actually read it instead of just having it on my shelf. So you know, I tried to read it. I was like when I first got us, like, I'm going to read this cover to cover. I'm like, no, You're not going to read this book cover to cover. But if you do it film by film, you can you can really digest it that way. So I really had a good time reading this. There's a whole chapter devoted to this movie, and so some things I learned was that the director Joseph Ellison studied acting under Lee Strasburg. As did the actor play Donnie Dan Grimaldi? Uh, you have any thoughts on the Strasburg acting method.
Speaker 2: It's interesting though, It's like I wonder if they did use the method for this, and then also did he stay in character? Did Grimaldi stay characters of all the time? This was not a character I'd want to stay and it'd be that the it had to be a short shoot.
Speaker 1: The shoot could have lasted too long, so at least it wouldn't be too long. Another thing was that all of the dialogue was was sinked or dubbed back in, like they didn't have actual, you know, on set recording, but Ellison had like that was his dream job, I think, was to dub Italian movies, which I mean there was plenty of jobs to be had doing that.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, and and those movies were made to be shot like this without you know, the Tower Babbel kind of thing where people were all speaking their own languages or some people would just literally say numbers instead of saying dialogue, and they would because they knew it didn't matter what was going to get said.
Speaker 1: The director was he might have been cast in The Crazies. We're going to talk about The Crazies in a second, But do you know what role is?
Speaker 2: No, I don't know. That's amazing to like be like almost in it. It's kind of like how Savini was gonna be involved with Neither Living Dead but had to go to Vietnam. It's always like kind of like WHOA, what would have happened? You know?
Speaker 1: Yeah, it was down to three actors and he was one of them, and he was working for a ballet company at the time, and he said he couldn't leave this for sure job for a potential job, so he did.
Speaker 2: It's amazing to like late sixties, early seventies to be it seemed like a time when people are like, oh yeah, that sounds cool and they just go and do it, do you know what I mean, versus like actually having a job and working through it. So it worked. I think it worked out for him.
Speaker 1: So yeah, Ellison met his wife Ellen, who we've talked about while he was scouting a location scout for Toga Party. Any Milligan did inserts for it must have been Pelvis first and then Milligan put in inserts for Toga Party. Because Ellison says he never met He doesn't never remember meeting Milligan. And I have to think if you met Milligan, you would remember, right, you would.
Speaker 2: You would remember. Uh. He probably yelled at you if you met you know what I mean. I imagined he was ill tempered. Uh.
Speaker 1: We talked about the original treatment was it was called The Burning Man, and they were going to shorten it to the Burning but of course there was already a movie in production that was using advertising for The Burning which was Meer Maxis the Burning Yeah.
Speaker 2: Which they the movie that my video stort did not have, So it became this mythical I need to see this movie, and it didn't live up to at first. It's a movie that the first time I saw it, I was like, this is it? The effects are great though against the being the effectsor that's why you watched.
Speaker 1: It, it sounds like really the only changes I made was it was a lot more ethnic of that New Jersey, New York area where they kind of took some of that.
Speaker 2: It was more like my hometown where the Italians were, hey, it's by this is a joke my own time you say hey Tony and like fifty dudes turn around want to fight you.
Speaker 1: That's a that's my hometown city. Do you have any other notes on this movie.
Speaker 2: I have a bunch of some of the people involved. The screenplay and original story comes from Joe Maysfield, who, interesting enough, after this movie did the sound editing for Evil Dead, and he was involved in a ton of sound editing of films like Alone in the Dark, not to Owey Bowl movie, the nineteen eighty two slasher Savage JN, an early Viner Syndrome release, and he did special effects on the opening of Misty Beethoven, which I love.
Speaker 1: Wait wait, waitit what what special you said special effects in the opening? What special effects on there Beethoven.
Speaker 2: He may have done the I don't know what he did. There's a lot cut out of that movie. If you buy the DVD version today, there's stuff that still is not maybe legal, that is in the original and uh, yeah, it's a good movie. Though it's a Radley Metzker It's yeah, that's like the it's the fans. That's like the mel was how do you say the other Centro monda melosine. Yeah, that's like, oh, that's I like we had we as film geeks have to be like, that's not porn, that's art.
Speaker 1: It's like me trying to my wife to get the golden age of erotic cinema exactly.
Speaker 2: And I'm like, she's like, is this movie porn? No, it's erotic, it's it's Misty Beethoven and a cinema. Yeah, it's cinema.
Speaker 1: Also Behind the Green Door they talk about this on Maud. You know.
Speaker 2: He did production work on Sin You Centers, another early adult film, and also Teenage Mother, which is one of my favorite trailers of all time. Uh, she's nine months of trouble, teenage mother h this. FBI got involved and picked this up, so Edward Montorro was also involved. The insane man who distributed Grizzly Beyond the Door in Great White and then disappeared in nineteen eighty four taking all the money from FBI. Never found. Some people think he's in Mexico.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 2: There's also Matthew Mallinson who was the associate producer. He directed Fist of Fear, Touch of Death and also went on to edit. Speaking of the kind of movies we love, a lot of Worth Keeters movies like Tales from the Third Dimension in three D Unmasking the Idol. But it's wild to me. I don't know if you noticed this. How many people in here did amazing things like Skip Levitski, who's the sound editor, won the Academy Award for Gravity, and as of twenty twenty six, he worked on fourteen Best Picture nominated films. He's worked on all the Cohen Brothers stuff, Goodfellows, Casino, Do the Right Thing, No Country for Old Men, Silence of the Lamps. But this is where he started. He just did Marty Supreme was the last movie he was nominated for, so there's like a lot of really great people. The camera operator Ken Kelch who he worked on all able for ours movies. Also he shot Last House in the Left and Spooky, so there's a little like here there, you know.
Speaker 1: Well, I think, and that's part of what makes this movie so good is that all these people have come together and it's a good you know this. The craftsmanship behind this movie is just outstanding.
Speaker 2: And this is the weirdest role that I found for somebody. Tom Brumberger, who's one of the effects guys. He did effects for tons of stuff, Christmas, Evil Girls, Night Out, Santa, and The Ice Cream Bunny, which is an obsession movie for me. He did the Thumbollina short within that he did the effects. But after this movie he also did Don't Sleep, which is Alfred Soul who did a comedian It's the adult movie that Alfred sold made before Alic Sweet, Alice, Communion, whatever we want to call it. But his job after this movie was he became Olympia Ducaucus's official makeup person. So every Olympia Ducaucus movie after like nineteen eighty five eighty six, he's he did her makeup. He was the only person that she would allow to do her makeup.
Speaker 1: So let me tell my Still Magnolia's story.
Speaker 2: Of please I love this.
Speaker 1: Because Still Magnolia's filmed a naked Ish Louisiana, which is about an hour from where I live, which is also where Screams of a Winter Night was filmed. We'll get to that at some point. And so, just talking about screenings within a house, they turned the house I guess two houses were used in Still Magnolia's, but one of the houses that they use they turned into a bed and breakfast and my wife and I stayed there and you can go and they would screen I say screen the film. They put it in a VCR or DVD or whatever, and you could watch Still Magnolia's in the house where they filmed Still Magnolia and there's really nothing like nothing else like that. That's just a great experience because you see Julia Roberts coming down the staircase and you look in there. It's the staircase right there, and it's if you ever get a chance to experience, no matter what the movie is, a screening of a film at the location where they filmed. I'd say jump on it if you can.
Speaker 2: We did Children of the corn in the Cornfield, which, uh, just a little advice post doing that. Don't get high. It'll get real disconcerted really quick. You're like, oh, fuck, that is where the cornfield is. Also, Courtney Gains was supposed to be there but couldn't make it. And if Malchi had been there during it, I probably wouldn't be here today. I'd probably be too freaked out.
Speaker 1: But the coolest'll be looking for he who walks behind the room wondering this cornfield I watched.
Speaker 2: We got to see Silver Bullet in the house where it was made, and the lady who owns the house today had never seen it, so she sat with my wife while we watched it. She's like, this is pretty fun. And we spent like two days looking for Silver Bullet locations. It was pretty fun.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's always great. And that's one thing about these regional films is that you can find these places. It's not I mean a lot of them are in California or whatever, but they're sprinkled all across the nation of these films.
Speaker 2: So yeah, there's a if you come to Pittsburgh, I can take you to a ton of them, obviously, there's so many. The last fact that I found is Simon Knuckturn, who's thanked in this. He was the president of August Films. He's the guy that did the marketing for Snuff the took an Argentina film and had the finlies makes up. He also going to direct a lot of adult but Savage Dawn, an early Vinegar Syndrum release, and Silent Madness, the three D slasher. But I guess he gave them a lot of production resources for this. But his the movies he worked on are crazy. He worked on King Frat and Emma Daughter's Dug Band Christmas and Bloodsucking Freaks. I get it, Like my resume looks kind of wild too, like the places I worked, But I didn't work on a Jim Henson puppet film for HBO and also Super Infoman and Ganja and Hess Like that's a that's a crazy. Like you did a lot of stuff, sir, like.
Speaker 1: Couding, there's nothing you can't at that.
Speaker 2: Point exactly, It's like I did the American dialogue for Super Infoman. Let me just throw money at you for an autograph at that point. But how did you feel about it? Did you appreciate more this time watching it after doing a deep dive into the book and the commentary stuff like did I did?
Speaker 1: And I really liked it the first time. I didn't see this until probably the Severn discs came out, so that was there or four years ago. I've given it four and a half stars in and I really liked it, and I probably liked it even more this time, I would say, just because I could really appreciate again looking at it from this was Ellison's first feature film, and it's just amazing that you know, how well made of a film it is.
Speaker 2: I think the only negative you can say to it is it kind of Some people, like you said, might think it slows down in the second act, but there's certainly stuff coming that is going to blow your mind again. And I think that this if this movie only had the two big shocks in it, it would still be a big success. But I think that it's like it comes together really well for being a first movie. Did you have you seen Joey the other movie?
Speaker 1: Well, I was gonna ask, no, I've not seen.
Speaker 2: I want to check it because I want to see like how he is, what he learned from it, and if it's a better film.
Speaker 1: And I'm sure it's in rights. There's no way you can get the rights for all the music that's used.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's I'll probably have to go to the cave of forgotten films. You go to the cave of forgotten films and you get an ad for something that's insane, And I'm like, I have never fought more scene in my film watching us. I always tell people are like, how did you find this movie? And then because a lot of people demand, like you know, they need like a seven release or they need like a four K release, and I'm like, oh, I watched it on a Russian hack site with someone screaming the dialogue in Russian over top of it with hard coded subs with three languages, and the quality was horrible. It was a great movie, do you know what I mean? But it's like, if you want to find a movie like Joey like sometimes that's what you're gonna do. Like, You're not gonna find a pristine copy of these things.
Speaker 1: What would you say? It was a good double feature? I know you talked about Maniac and the New York Cripper. What would you pair this one with?
Speaker 2: I would I'm thinking Alice Sweet Alice is a good one for this because there's a fire death. It is very upsetting early in the film, and also like the Catholicism ties and also the New York New Jersey kind of just grunginess of it. That's also like a very dark movie. We showed Bill showed it. Uh he did a triple feature of the Day After Halloween, Pieces and Alice Sweet House once at a theater and uh, as you can imagine, Pieces brought the house down there. You know, people are like that movie does not stop, Like that's not one where the second actle is that it is quote the tagline, exactly what you think it is. But like Alice Sweet Alse upset people so bad and uh the end, like the people that are essentially good in it all either get killed or get destroyed by it. And it's like wow, Like what a rough movie. And it feels like it fits into this What would.
Speaker 1: Your pick be for for a double So I was gonna watch The Dark because they mentioned that in night Mare, U say that that was a double feature that don't go to the house played with was the Dark and it's all Amazon. Par I started watching it and it is dark because in I can't see what is happening other than there's some lasers.
Speaker 2: It feels like a coal Jack episode without coal Jack. That's how I described the Dark. And also like Toby Hooper was supposed to direct it, and this is like that phase of his career. Was like, no, he's not gonna direct, he's gotten fired already. Also, it's like they weren't sure that is it going to be aware? What is it going to be? An alien? Like what's the creature? Like? The Dark is messy, but I kind of like that. It's like the Manitude too, like those kind of movies were were like, what is this thing?
Speaker 1: Well, we'll see because it's it's in the book. It's in that. It's its own capsule review entry. So I was like, well, we'll get to that. We'll get to it. We'll get to it eventually. So I said, well, this movie reminds me so much a Psycho. Let me rewatch Psycho. But I watched the gust Fan's end Psycho.
Speaker 2: I have it and I've never watched it.
Speaker 1: You've never seen it?
Speaker 2: No, No, I have. I got it for a dollar and I haven't watched it. And I'm like, but my wife loves it. She thinks it's great because she doesn't have any experience with your original.
Speaker 1: What I was thinking was that don't go in the house. It flopped at the time, and it's kind of had a revisionous history about it, where now it's kind of more of a cult classic, and I think it's time for the gust Fan and Psycho to have that sort of renaissance revisionist history potentially, And it's not it's not.
Speaker 2: You might get thrown off letter box for saying that that's a brave statement.
Speaker 1: I think. I think people are coming around and I'm not good. Uh, this is not a hill I want to die on, for sure, the gust Fans ant Psycho. But watching it now, most people will say why why why did he do this? You know, there's this is no point in doing this, And I think the point is just he takes everything the same and just like, let's see what it would be if we did it with this set of actors in this way, and that is it's an interesting experiment that doesn't necessarily work, and a lot of the actors sound like they're just reading lines and not didn't have any characters. But some of it does work. Like I think when Vince Vaughn comes in to clean up after mother, and it's probably because there's no dialog again that scene, Yeah, and no shades of Vince Vaughn. It's just a physical performance. And that was the problem I had with him, was that you know, whenever they're in the parlor, he's reading lines and it doesn't make much sense. But it's not a great movie. It's not as bad as maybe people would lead you to believe, as long as you look at it as an experiment. And I remember watching it, well, we went to the movies and saw it whenever it came out. And there's a scene where he like puts van Zant puts in these inserts of like when Arba Gass gets killed on the staircase as he saw them. There's almost subliminal shot of this woman in a mask and a cow in the road. And well, my friends like, what's why is there a like? And I have no, I don't know, I have no answers for you, But I don't.
Speaker 2: Think I had the White Horse and Halloween too, the rob Zombie Halloween too, where it's like and then it comes up on the screen where he tells you exactly what it means.
Speaker 1: So there's no you have no contact. But it's like, okay, so that's I would say Psycho nineteen ninety whatever eight and then don't go in the house.
Speaker 2: Wow, it's a bold double feature. I like one.
Speaker 1: So what I picked this one. We're gonna rotate picks. So what's going to be our next pick?
Speaker 2: The Crazies? Right, it's the next one. And The Crazies is very near and near to my heart. I'm from Elwood City, PA. Evans CITYPA, which is thirteen or fourteen miles away is where The Crazies was as a kid when they would play it on chill or theater. I'm like, I have seen all these places and I've driven past them, and oh my god, this is what's going to happen. Also, like if you grew up in we're very close to the same age. I think if you grew up in the eighties, you were constantly sure that a nuke or some kind of is going to wipe the world out post the day after, and The Crazies has that kind of vibe. It's a good test run for Donna the Dead, but it has its own beautiful parts to it. I will only refer to it as code named Trixie, not the Crazies of course.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so that's I have seen this one, but it's been a while, I guess, and I first saw it post pandemic, so that's an an interesting viewpoint if you've seen it before the pandemic, I'm sure. So we'll get into all of that in the next time.
Speaker 2: There's a remake too, if you want to do homework and watch the remake.
Speaker 1: Spoiler alert, I've I'm working ahead, so I have already watched both of these movies, so we have some things to say about.
Speaker 2: I always end up buying the remakes because I find them. There's nothing like swimming in a Walmart five dollars bin to find movies and I'm like, oh, well, you know, I don't need the Craziest, but I have the original.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so I'll get Yeah, I about Billy Jack at the five dollars.
Speaker 2: I got the box set there for five bucks at Walmart.
Speaker 1: Yeah, okay, yeah, it is. June's Ploitation is right around the corner. I don't know when this episode is going to drop, so it's probably already passed, but I'll be watching that. It's part of June's ploitation. At least it's on my list right now. If we're going from Don't Go in the House to The Craziest and Joseph Ellison again, it was almost casting it Crazies. Crazies also has a guy and in a suit with a flame thrower.
Speaker 2: The Crazies is a movie that I want more people to see, actually, all the old Ramera stuff like I love. I just did a podcast about Season of the Witch. I love that movie. I don't like There's always Vanilla. Okay, that one I won't defend, But like Night Riders, everything up until probably the Dark Half, I'm very into when it comes to Ramera stuff, And you know what I feel like, at some point I'm going to have to reevaluate movies like Bruiser and stuff like that, and I'll get there, you know. But a lot to say about Pittsburgh and Evans City and knitting needles and very upsetting things that happen in the Crazies.
Speaker 1: Okay, great, I can't wait to talk about it. So join us next time and we'll be talking about the Crazies. By y'all, I've got another.
Speaker 2: If you like, let us, thank you.
Speaker 1: I'm just going to get out right here,