Speaker 1: A lot of people were very angry about what you said, right, Yeah, did you get to hear.
Speaker 2: About course, of course you told me about it.
Speaker 3: Did you regret having spoken your bed?
Speaker 4: Not at all.
Speaker 2: I was speaking the truth.
Speaker 4: Pearl is a Hasidic woman who put my YouTube channel on the map. From my first visit with her, a tour of her home. Viewers loved her and asked for more, and we gave them more. Her fan base grew as she shared about how she got engaged with the help of matchmakers nearly sixty years ago, how she responded when her son left the Ascitic community, about head covering and head shaving, and motherhood and faith. Then she surprised me by sharing on camera some things that I expected would make her very unpopular, that is her views on the Holocaust and Israel as an anti Zionist Sometimore woman. But Pearl insisted on sharing, and indeed many on YouTube were very angry. It's been a year since that conversation. I sat down again with Pearl for a different subject now, to document the very interesting Hasidic wedding traditions. That's a separate video. But before we launched into our conversation about weddings. We did a little catch up. I ask her how she feels since she alienated so many in her enormous fan base.
Speaker 3: Pearl, I'm so happy to be talking to you again.
Speaker 2: I'm happy to be seeing you again.
Speaker 3: How have you been since our last discussion?
Speaker 5: Oh don't esk, I became like the most hated person. I'll tell you what it is in our world today. The idea of reward and punishment.
Speaker 2: Is very very unpopular.
Speaker 5: People are you know, they get their hackles up, especially for adults. If you're raising little children, you know you do use the idea of reward in bunation, but once you're an adult. But the Toida is very much based on we were in punishment. As a matter of fact, Hashem tells us explicitly in the Toilter, without any holds barred, what will happen if we don't keep his mitsress and no surprises here. We are told exactly what will happen to the Jewish nation if they don't keep the mistress of the tide.
Speaker 2: No surprises here.
Speaker 5: As a matter of fact, we always always say in Mina twini, because of our sins, we know this.
Speaker 3: It's a very famous refrain it is.
Speaker 5: Because it's the truth. But if you tell this to the world at large or even secular people, they get so angry about this because you're gonna tell me the holocausts because of the Jews. Anti Semitism is because of the Jews. You know, they have this interesting picture of the God.
Speaker 2: Is all good. He is. But if we are not all good, and.
Speaker 5: If we don't listen to them, if we don't follow the toyle, Hashem takes himself off the scene.
Speaker 2: He removes his divine presence.
Speaker 5: From the world sometimes, as we saw by the Holocaust.
Speaker 4: Here. I want to pause to add a correction that Pearl asked me to make. She says Hashem removes his divine presence, but that this statement is problematic because Husham never removes his divine presence. The world would cease to exist if he did. Rather, he turns his divine presence away from us.
Speaker 2: It's called punishment, but it's very unpopular. So I'll let us say it.
Speaker 6: Because at the previous conversation we talked about the Holocaust being essentially punishment.
Speaker 3: Is that fit to say?
Speaker 6: It?
Speaker 3: Isn't that victim blaming.
Speaker 2: Maybe the victim did something.
Speaker 3: Who is the who are the actors in the Holocaust.
Speaker 5: So the Ibish does not want us to rebel the one hundred and fifty years leading up to the Holocaust with the Masquelen, with the simulation an actual conversion to Christianity. That was us not listening to him, not doing what he wants us. We are a people who have a mission, and we know what our mission is and we can't rebel. And if we rebel, and datoyta it says what exactly will happen? So who we all have only ourselves to blame? And speaking of Zionism, the whole idea of Zionism especially, I have to say something about the Palestinian people. Last time I go. I think that people are very angry at me because I said the Palestinian people.
Speaker 2: Are not part of the equation.
Speaker 5: And what I meant to say with that was that even if the land would today be a free land, nobody would be living in it would be an absolutely unpopulated area. We could not take this for ourselves before Micheir comes.
Speaker 3: So what was your.
Speaker 5: I said, they're not part of the equation, but I meant to say it was there even if they wouldn't be there, it'd been no Palestinian people there. We cannot take Israel by force for ourselves and make it our land.
Speaker 2: It's a call.
Speaker 5: There was a rebellion against us, Sham, so you became.
Speaker 6: The most unpopular person because we had this conversation.
Speaker 2: And it's okay.
Speaker 5: I'm repeating it because it's the truth, and we have to know our people have to know that anti Semitism has more to do with us than the anti Semites. Our behavior, especially today because of the wars. The normal response from a yid is to feel sorry for another yea and to and to and to be very worried about what's happening in Israel and to feel for Israel. And we do, we do, But Israel is led by secular people who have no toyta. There's no hashm by them. They don't care about this, and they are the ones who are bringing trouble on the all the all the.
Speaker 2: Yidiship people in the world. Anti Senor.
Speaker 5: We thought it was all over when I was growing up, there was no antisemitism. We thought it's finished. The world now from this Holocaust, that anti Semitism is terrible. All of a sudden, wherever you go wherever you people are afraid hearing Willysburg.
Speaker 6: How is what you say here so different from blaming the victim of let's say domestic violence. An abusive husband who abuses his wife, and you say, well, she brought it on herself. If she wouldn't have upset him, then he wouldn't have abused her.
Speaker 3: How is this so different?
Speaker 6: It's essentially blaming the victim for the actions of a perpetrator.
Speaker 2: No, if she is doing something that she shouldn't be doing, she's not the victim.
Speaker 5: If she's doing everything she's supposed to do and she's being victimized, then nobody blames her.
Speaker 3: Then blame the husband might blame it.
Speaker 5: Please, the abuser is gonna blame her. Of course he's gonna blame her. That doesn't make him not an abuser. He's the one that's victimizing her.
Speaker 2: I don't understand this question. I don't understand this blaming the victim, who blames the victim.
Speaker 3: I'll give you an example.
Speaker 6: A man might beat his wife, and he might say, I beat you because this way you will learn a lesson.
Speaker 3: Let's say, to stop being promiscuous. Another man looked at you.
Speaker 6: Let's say another man looked at you in a way that made me uncomfortable.
Speaker 3: You were dressed in appropriately. I beat you.
Speaker 2: So he's blaming the victim.
Speaker 3: He's blaming her, but he's.
Speaker 5: An abuser, so of course he's gonna blame her. He's abusing her. Blaming the victim in this case is part of the abuse.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 5: You remind me of a story me in Europe and the Schtettle, people who lived away from the major cities Yeden, who lived away from the major cities. They didn't know. The Yiddish guy was very earnest, but they didn't know a lot. So it's pisser by decided, and this man he does not have to make decided, this darfs man you known. So he tells his wife go look by the neighbor. What how they're making decided?
Speaker 2: So he sends her up.
Speaker 5: She goes looks in by the neighbor by the window, and she comes back. So he tells us, so what is he doing? She doesn't answer him.
Speaker 2: You know where this is going.
Speaker 3: He was he was beating her.
Speaker 2: She spoiled my story.
Speaker 3: You asked me I was driving.
Speaker 2: I guess She comes back and she she doesn't answer him.
Speaker 5: So a few times he beats her up, so she tells him, if you know, why are you see?
Speaker 3: I see the idea of blaming the victim is.
Speaker 5: Idea get away from this today, of blaming the victim, I don't hold from it. Okay, here's if somebody blames a legitimate victim, that a RuSHA okay, But the.
Speaker 6: Jews were legitimate victims in the Holocaust, poor babies who were killed by the Nazis.
Speaker 2: Are Yeah, there's an answer to that. It's a very deep answer.
Speaker 5: But you don't want to go into No, it's hard to explain. It's hard to explained that when Hashem removes his presence then and besides that, imagine if only the religious people would have been saved. You know, there were there were the holy Rabbis that were killed in the Holocaust.
Speaker 2: Imagine if only.
Speaker 5: If only those people who assimilated, who converted, who rebelled, they were the ones who would be the victims of the Hell coast. Where would be our free choice, free choice? There would be normal free choice in the world.
Speaker 2: You know that for sure this is going to happen.
Speaker 5: And if you've gotta be good, it removes the whole the whole thing that Hashem gave up human being to choose for themselves.
Speaker 2: You can see people.
Speaker 5: Who are really bad people. Hashem lets them choose bad. He even lets them live. He even doesn't punish them necessarily.
Speaker 4: Here again, Pearl asked me to clarify. When she says that people make bad choices and God doesn't punish them, she means is to say God doesn't punish them in this world.
Speaker 5: Because why because a person has a free choice. You want to be good, you want to be bad, you can choose.
Speaker 2: There's a choice.
Speaker 6: Okay, So last time we spoke, you shared some of these thoughts about your philosophy in the world, and.
Speaker 2: It's my philosophy, the.
Speaker 6: Titter philosophy essentially leads you to be very anti Zionist.
Speaker 3: We're not gonna further rehashit.
Speaker 1: A lot of people were very angry about what you said, righty, did you get to hear.
Speaker 2: About of course, of course you told me about it.
Speaker 3: Did you regret having spoken your.
Speaker 2: Not at all.
Speaker 5: I was speaking the truth. I was speaking the implanted in all of the sub and the boy on them. You see how right he was looking going on Today's exactly what he said. He was afraid of their vice for tutors of our bringing of Claudius at all. Look what's happening today, it's it's mumush a prophecy.
Speaker 3: I have to say, you know, I find it interesting. I left the community.
Speaker 6: I'm supposed to be the rebel, but I feel like you're the rebel because you're saying things that, even in the Sich community, are rebellious.
Speaker 2: Why what am I saying that's rebellious.
Speaker 6: Speaking openly in a way that is critical of Zionism today, I think is not trendy even in this world.
Speaker 5: That's the tragedy. That's the tragedy. And you're right about that. Today people are very angry at anybody that says a word about against Zionism. I the Hashim told us in the shulis Shias, we can't do it, We're not supposed to. And the Lambum Lambam repeats it, and all that ebbys until Zionism came about, repeated this constantly. Even the Baba the Shah, he wrote tremendously.
Speaker 2: Against the Zionists. Before the World War, everybody was.
Speaker 5: Against the Designist And when I say everybody, I mean all the religious Jews.
Speaker 2: But since the Holocaust, okay, and the.
Speaker 5: Fact that the UN ratified the state of Israel and people felt that they deserved it. Now you know, we went through a how it possibly should have a country of our own. But besides that, aside for them, but I'm talking about what Hushem wants from us, and this isn't Zionism is an open rebellion against Hashem.
Speaker 2: We're not the victims here, but the purpose.
Speaker 3: I have to say, I can't believe we're having this conversation again.
Speaker 2: And I want to go to Okay, go, let's go, let's go side myself.
Speaker 1: No, no, I just want to ask last question on this update on Gl's life.
Speaker 6: Do you personally experience a greater fear of anti Semitism? Because I asked you like two years ago and you said you feel safe.
Speaker 3: You don't feel anti Semitism.
Speaker 5: I fear the outcome of rebelling against Ushian. Part of it is anti Semitism, that's the visible part, because this is what the lever was afraid of. And no Jew is safe in any part of the world. Well, we felt very safe here in America. I thought anti Semitism was over, it was finished. So do I have a fear tremendous fear,