Speaker 1: You're listening to KFI AM six forty wake Up Call with me Amy King on demand on the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 2: KFI had KOST HD two Los Angeles, Orange County.
Speaker 3: KFI Radio.
Speaker 4: This is Mission Control Houston.
Speaker 2: Please call station for a voice check station.
Speaker 4: This is Amy King with kfi's wake up call.
Speaker 5: How do you hear me?
Speaker 3: I can hear you loud and clear.
Speaker 2: It's time for your morning wake up call.
Speaker 6: I've landed and the name is Amy Kay.
Speaker 7: Here's Amy King.
Speaker 4: This is.
Speaker 5: It is five o'clock, straight up.
Speaker 4: This is your wake up call for Tuesday, January twenty First, I'm Amy King. We're live everywhere on the iHeartRadio app, and happy that you're starting your day with us. I don't know about you, but I'm about inaugurationed out after everything that started early in the morning and then went through the day with NonStop coverage. I'm also Trump talked out because he does love to ramble on and and I think he spoke at every one of the places that he made stops at yesterday.
Speaker 5: But anyway, it.
Speaker 4: Was an interesting day and a fun day. And you know what, it's our government. I love it. I love the pomp and circumstance. I think it's fun to watch the transfer of power and see people be excited. And I found this quote about how things different are so different now than they used to be. But here's a quote. We are not enemies but friends. We must not be enemies. Though passion may have strained, it must not break our bonds of affection. The mystic cords of memory, stretching from every battlefield and patriot grave, to every living heart and hearthstone all over this broad land, will yet swell the chorus of the Union, when again touched, as surely they will be by the better angels of our nature.
Speaker 5: Who said that?
Speaker 4: That was Abraham Lincoln in his first inaugural address in eighteen sixty one. They just don't talk like that anymore. It was so eloquent. It was so eloquent. Anyway, here's what's ahead. On wake up call, and we got a lot. La Mayor bas says everyone needs to be on high alert because of the Santa Ana winds blowing through southern California. The National Weather Service has issued its particularly Dangerous Situation Wind warning through this morning for parts of Eli Inventura Counties. Winds in the mountains foothills could gust up to one hundred miles per hour. Mayorbet's city and county fire personnel are pre deployed to strike fast if a wildfire breaks out. LA County says all residents of Altadena can now return to their neighborhoods. The county posted on x that some areas are still under evacuation orders with soft closures. That means they will only be open to residents with valid proof of residents. President Trump has pardoned about fifteen hundred people convicted in the January sixth riots at the Oval office yesterday called the defendants hostages. He commuted six sentences and said those cases will be further investigated. The order directs the Department of Prisons to start releasing January sixth defendants immediately. President Trump had a very busy first day in office. We're going to find out more about the dozens and dozens of executive orders he signed with kfi's White House correspondent John Decker. That's coming up in about three minutes, just after five point thirty. We're going to be talking with Brady. Brady literally watched his home in Altadena burn to the ground as he drove out of the neighborhood and we got to catch up with him at Dream Center, LA and he's getting help from them right now. And so it's a it's an amazing story and we're excited to bring it to you. That's at five thirty. At five point fifty, Planet Fitnesses business is booming, But is it really because so many of us are hitting the gym or something else. We'll find out with Joel Larsgart. Joel Larsgard the House, a host of how to Money here on KFI again, that's at five fifty. Let's get started with some of the stories coming out of the KFI twenty four hour newsroom. Of course, the winds are our top story. A red flag warning remains in effect through tonight as strong gusty Santana wins our forecast to continue all day. National Weather Service meteorologist Rich Thompson says there will also be very relatively low humidity through Thursday, meaning critical fire weather conditions will last until then.
Speaker 8: Fortunately, by the weekend we should to see a distinct change in the weather and there actually is going to be a chance of some polight precipitation across the fire on Saturday and sandy.
Speaker 4: He says we should expect the breezy and very dry conditions to stay with us all week. A brush fire along the banks of the dry Santa Ana River bottom amidst stiff Santa Ana Wins, has been quickly put out by cruise. The fire started shortly after two yesterday afternoon near Mission Avenue or Mission Inn Avenue.
Speaker 5: Riverside.
Speaker 4: Fire says Wins were gusting about twenty five miles per hour at the time, but firefighters were able to surround it within about twenty minutes. President Trump says he'll help with the wildfires in La County.
Speaker 6: After he was sworn in, Trump criticized the federal government's response to natural disasters, from flooding in North Carolina to hurricanes. He also says the response in southern California has also not been sufficient.
Speaker 8: We can't let this happen.
Speaker 7: Everyone is unable to do anything about it. That's going to change.
Speaker 6: Trump says he plans to visit La County this week and says some of the attendees at his inauguration had lost homes in the Palisades fire.
Speaker 5: Michael Monks KFI News.
Speaker 4: Well, let's say good morning now too, kfi's White House correspondent John Decker. John, when we talked yesterday, I said, bub buckle up, it's going to be a wild ride. And the new president did not disappoint.
Speaker 9: No.
Speaker 3: He hit the ground running in terms of signing a slew of executive orders, not only at the event that he had at the Capitol One Arena, but also when he returned to the White House signed more executive orders in the Oval Office. And I expect more of that to happen today, his first full day as president.
Speaker 5: Is he going to spend most of his day at the White House.
Speaker 3: I would anticipate that, with one exception, He's doing a service at the National Cathedral. The First Lady will attend that this morning. Aside from that, all all this his other activities will be at the White House.
Speaker 4: He's got to be exhausted. I mean, he started yesterday at the Blairhouse, right. He stayed there, then went to church, then went to another and then one had tea with President Biden, and I mean, and then he was at the balls. When I went to sleep last night, they were still at the balls. And that was like eleven o'clock their time.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he got back to the White House around twelve thirty in the morning, and so you know, he typically is a late starter. That was the case in his first term as president. That being said, it is his first day. I think he's allowed the time to recover after, as you point out, amy a very long day yesterday. That is typical for a new president. It is a long day for them. But you know, look, Donald Trump has proven before that he's a pretty energetic president, even for his age.
Speaker 4: Yeah, okay, so he signed all these executive orders, and let's talk about a couple of them, Like obviously the one where he pardoned everybody from January sixth is one of the big ones.
Speaker 3: Well, that's a huge one, but it should not surprise anybody. He spoke about that while campaigning for president, so you knew that if you were a voter going in, that's what Donald Trump intended to do. He followed through with that just the same way. I know we're not talking about this today, but one of the last acts of Joe Biden was pardoning five members of his own family. That did not surprise me either. You know, I think that he signaled by not answering that question that he was going to do that. So some pardons that taking place yesterday by both the outgoing president and the new president.
Speaker 4: Okay, and of the ones that you heard of, because there were so many of them. I mean, I don't have the complete list of all the executive orders, but being a lawyer, are there ones immediately that are thrown up red flags? Are you're going to yep, that one's going to be challenged, that one's going to be challenged?
Speaker 3: Well, you never know. I'm sure there will be challenges as it relates to some of his executive orders concerning border security and immigration. But as you know, he declared national emergency at our southern border. That is something that he also indicated that he would do, and the Supreme Court has already upheld a challenge as it relates to moving money from one account to another within the Pentagon to construct that border wall. And he may do that just once again, to construct more of that border wall at our border with Mexico through the use of that particular executive order.
Speaker 4: Okay, if we had the time, we'd ask you about like twenty other ones, including birthright citizenship. We'll save that for another day.
Speaker 3: One. Yeah, that one will have to wait. But you're right that one in particular, will find a challenge, and speaking as a lawyer, Amy, that one's going to be problematic in the sense that that is enshrine in the Constitution, and an executive order cannot do away with a institutional amendment.
Speaker 4: Okay, well again, it's going to be a wild ride, John Decker, thank you so much.
Speaker 5: Appreciate your information.
Speaker 3: Thanks Amy.
Speaker 5: All right, take care.
Speaker 4: Let's get back to some of the stories coming out of the KFI twenty four hour newsroom. The Senate has confirmed Florida Congressman Marco Rubio as Secretary of State. He told lawmakers during his confirmation hearings last week that he's ready to implement Trump's America First agenda.
Speaker 10: How can America promote the cause of peace on earth if it is not first safe at home? What good is America to our allies if it is not strong? And how can America help end the suffering of God's children across the world if it is not first prosperous here at home.
Speaker 4: Rubio was confirmed yesterday with a ninety nine to nothing vote. He said to speak this morning at the State Department. The Senate has passed a bill that would require federal authorities to detain immigrants accused of theft and violent crimes. The Lake in Riley Act is named after a nursing student in Georgia who was murdered by a man from Venezuela. Trump spoke about that case during his campaign. The bill gives more weight to his plans to deport millions of people in the country illegally. Now heads back to the Republican controlled House. Health officials say neurovirus cases are rising in California and reaching levels not seen in over.
Speaker 5: A decade Across the US.
Speaker 4: The CDC says there were no specific treatments or vaccines, but a new one may be on the horizon. Work care preventative doctor Don Bucklin says Moderna is testing a potential neurovirus vaccine like the COVID vaccine.
Speaker 11: The intent of it is to give you either total immunity or have such a minor case of it that you barely notice.
Speaker 4: That would be nice, because that the old stomach flu is not fun, he says. Neurovirus causes two hundred thousand deaths worldwide every year, including about eight hundred here in the US. The FBI says it has a man in custody and connection with the killing of a Customs and Border Patrol agent in Vermont. The agent was shot and killed yesterday near Newport, COmON.
Speaker 5: Newboard three two Intertate ninety one another one sixty for their ports of the mail owners bondor is operating.
Speaker 4: The FBI says another person also thought to have been involved, was killed. The shooting happened about twenty miles from the Canadian border. Members of the Teamsters union have voted to authorize a strike against Costco.
Speaker 5: More than eighty five percent of the workers or in favor of hitting the picket lines that issue wages and benefits.
Speaker 4: ABC's Michelle Fransen says workers could walk out on February first unless they reach a deal before the current contract expires January thirty first. There are disagreements on wages and benefits, and the union says Costco has rejected proposals on things like seniority pay, paid family leave, sick time, and safeguards against surveillance. Carmel by the Sea has been recognized as one of the most delightful small towns in the country by HGTV. In twenty twenty four, Triple A named the town known for its fairy tail cottages, upscale shops, art galleries, and the historic Carmel Mission. Basilica as one of the best Sunset Magazine referred to it as a charming seaside hamlet with the surrounding ocean and forests. Okay, I want to go to Carmel by the seeow. I haven't been there for years and years. Fire crews are standing by in case any new fires breakout as strong winds continue to blow through southern California. A particularly dangerous situation warning for parts of Elli in Ventura Counties continues through ten this morning, with a red flag warning until two pm, and then there's a fire weather watch that'll be in effect from tonight untill tomorrow. Fire officials have lifted in evacuation order for a neighborhood in the Tapanga area east of Tapanga Canyon Boulevard, in the area of Koleima Drive and south of Encina Road. The area was reopened to residents only starting at noon yesterday. A protest rally against President Trump has been held outside La City Hall. Demonstrators say they are against mass deportations, which have already been authorized through an executive order. The rally was organized by several groups, including the International League of People's Struggles. At six so five, it's handle on the news. Republican lawmakers want answers after President Biden pardoned basically his whole family before Trump was sworn in as president. It's let's say good morning to ABC's Jim Ryan. Jim, President Trump signed several executive orders relating to the border, and he's anxious to get going.
Speaker 5: So how are people getting going knowing that this is coming.
Speaker 9: Well, they're not going, that's the thing. So a lot of folks who had set up appointments through the CVP one app, which is this app that was set up and made available during the Biden administration. So basically what happened. Somebody coming, for example, from Honduras, makes their way up to Mexico and with their phone app, they get onto this with a CBP one app, they can make an appointment with a customs agent on this side and begin the immigration process, the interview, then they're given parole status, they come back and they continue. Well that app has gone dead today, so that's kind of the first step in this whole thing. So yeah, physical barriers are planned along the border, but this one practical barrier, the technological barrier has been pulled down by the new administration so that people can't even start the process of coming into the country.
Speaker 8: Right.
Speaker 4: But was anybody surprised about that, because I mean, he's been saying I'm doing this on day one. So I mean, are there immigrant rights groups that are trying to help these people kind of navigate or are they just saying, you, guys, you're out of luck.
Speaker 5: Now this is a whole new game now.
Speaker 9: Well, yeah, people have cut off guard absolutely. The CBP one app gave appointments to fourteen hundred and fifty people every day at eight border crossings, so they come in on parole status through this online lottery system. And yeah, people are putting up that app at this second in Mexico saying Okay, I've got an appointment today with Customs, I can start this process. They're finding that that appointment has been canceled and the app has gone debt. So yeah, they're left in lumbo. The limbo was the word that won the immigration advocate in El Paso used to describe what's happening now. And they're trying to figure out how to.
Speaker 4: Navigate, okay, and with a CBP one app was that mainly people coming in and then claiming asylum and then making appointments. Yes, and so they come in, claim asylum, be released into the US, and then come back for their appointment.
Speaker 9: Right on parole status. So you know, don't break any laws, don't do anything, and make sure you come back for your next appointment or you will be kicked out of the country. And that has happened a lot.
Speaker 4: And now the President has declared a national emergency. So does that just I mean, are they going to lock down the border?
Speaker 5: Well, we know, yeah, in so far.
Speaker 9: I mean, how does that That's what you know, policymakers locking it down has been what they've been trying to do for decades, and people still find a way to get into the country illegally. And we've already seen what a deployment of military deployment might look like with the Operation Loan Star that Governor Greg Abbott has had for the last couple of years. Amy only ten billion dollars spent. And part of that is this deployment of Texas National Guard troops along the border. They know do the Concertina wire and they patrolled the river and you know, under their directive though. If somebody's coming across and they're in physical peril, are about to drown, they have to go in and save them and pull them out and bring them to this side and then start the deportation process. So we know at least a little about what that would look like.
Speaker 4: Okay, And then we also heard that there was going to be mass deportation raids like starting in Chicago as soon as today. But now the borders are Tom Holman has said, you know what, that's on hold because the information leaked then and it kind of killed the element of surprise.
Speaker 11: It did.
Speaker 9: And I'm not sure anybody was specific about where the Chicago's a big place, so you know, you could raid one factory or one warehouse or one apartment complex, and so yeah, maybe they're waiting to see exactly how they should look as opposed to how President Trump said it would look.
Speaker 4: Yeah, And it's interesting when you start thinking about when you drill down and start really thinking about how this could possibly be carried out. Like you said, in the practicality of raiding a warehouse, well, that's where people are working, so you're going to round them up and then shut down the warehouse because there's no workers there. Yes, I mean, so it's really it's going to be a sticky wicket.
Speaker 9: Well, you can see the potential ripple effect.
Speaker 4: You're right.
Speaker 9: So let's say that you go into a factory that assembles parts for you know, automobiles or for washing machines, so you shut it down. Those parts aren't making it to the washing machine assembly facility, whether they have undocumented workers there or not. The washing machine doesn't get sold, doesn't get delivered, nobody can buy it, and it's sitting there. You know, there are potential implications that we'll see over the next few months.
Speaker 4: Yeah, which seems really counterintuitive because Trump is such a pro you know, business guy, so to see like that, it would you know, like jam up the cogs of business is kind of counterintuitive to what he would normally think would be a good thing.
Speaker 9: Well, even here in Texas, you know, which broadly supported President Trump and supports Governor Greg Abbott, business leaders, especially on the border are saying, you know what, if you shut down the border, if you keep people from coming in and working legally, we're gonna have a hard time running businesses down here.
Speaker 4: Well we'll be watching, Jim Ryan, thank you so much for the information. All right, all right, talk to you soon.
Speaker 8: See me.
Speaker 4: As Santa Ana wins continue to blow through southern California, red flag parking restrictions remain in place in the city of Los Angeles till further notice. LA Fire says the restrictions are there to keep streets clear in high fire danger areas, to allow evacuations, and also to allow firefighters to get into the area if they're needed. Rick Pope with the LA Emergency Management Department says the city has a one stop guide for residents and businesses at lacity dot gov.
Speaker 5: He's encouraging people to use it.
Speaker 12: That site will link you to everything from updated evacuation orders and recovery resources to public health advisories and warnings that can help you return home safely.
Speaker 4: Pope says people can also apply for assistance from FEMA and other financial aid on the website. Former Vice President Harris has thanked firefighters in Altadena.
Speaker 2: Just hours following President Trump's inauguration, the former Vice President hopped on a seven forty seven with her husband back to California to tour the fire zone on Monday night. Harris took a moment to tell reporters that the firefighters from California are the best at what they do.
Speaker 8: They do this work to protect people they've never met out of a sense of duty and dare I say a calling to serve.
Speaker 2: Ninety three hundred homes and businesses have been destroyed from the wildfire burning in Alta, Dina. More than fourteen thousand acres have also burned. Andrew Caravella Kyfi News.
Speaker 4: Harris has a home in Brentwood, which was impacted by evacuations from the wildfire and Pacific Palisades. Former President Biden is also in California. Biden and the former First Lady Air vacationing in Santa Yes, just north of Santa Barbara. They're staying at the estate of a billionaire Democratic donor and friend of Biden. The former president last traveled to Santa Yes when he officially dropped out of his re election campaign and got behind Vice President Harris.
Speaker 7: I Mister Tambarine Man, Last Song to Me.
Speaker 4: The draft lyrics to Bob Dylan's Mister Tambourine Man have sold at auction four over a half million dollars. It was one of dozens of items auctioned off over the weekend in Nashville. Eighty three year old Dylan is a Nobel Prize winner whose career has returned to the spotlight with the new Movies darring Timothy Schallome. A complete unknown okay, observation from yesterday. I said I was inaugurationed out. Maybe I'm not quite. But during the actual ceremony, we were following it. We carried it for you live here on KFI. And you may have noticed it was supposed to happen at certain times. And from past inaugurations that I've covered, they have everything like down to the minute. This one was different. Their timing was all out of whack and they were probably like fifteen to thirty minutes off. And so right at high noon in on the East coast, which is nine o'clock our time, there was like this scramble to get to get Trump inaugurated, to get him officially to take the oath of office. So they moved everything around, and they pushed back the national anthem, they pushed back Carrie Underwood singing, and got him in like right around noon, just to make sure we'd have a president because Biden's job expired at noon. Anyway, speaking of Carrie, Underwood, a cappella singing.
Speaker 5: America. The Beautiful was just like one of the most spectacular things ever.
Speaker 8: Just did she just got it done?
Speaker 4: Yeah, they started, they had a glitch with the music. It kind of started, then it stopped, and then they stood around and waited for a minute, and then she goes, you guys, help me out here, and she just started singing and she has one of those just absolutely pristine voices.
Speaker 5: It was it was perfect right, and.
Speaker 4: It was it was fun because it was just, you know, a little bit of something off the script too, even though everything was kind of off the script because everything got out of order.
Speaker 5: But wow, Carrie Underwood, that was That was amazing.
Speaker 4: And one final note, did you notice that the inaugural luncheon, Because I said, I had it on all day and I was watching it. So they're out the luncheon and you know that Trump doesn't drink, and they came out and pop day diet coke for the president.
Speaker 5: He's a big diet Coke fan. So anyway, it was fun.
Speaker 8: Coke Zeero's better.
Speaker 11: Really.
Speaker 5: I did not like Coke zero, Oh, I hate it.
Speaker 4: I got to spend the afternoon Saturday at Dream Center, La doing the Fork Report because our little Neil Sevager was not feeling well, and luckily he's back and back with us and feeling better. But while I was out there watching the amazing work that Dream Center LA is doing to raise money and donations for all of the people affected by these wildfires that are going to be affected not only today and tomorrow, but for months and years to come, I got to meet a man who literally lost everything in the fire in Alta Dina. So let's say good morning to Brady. Thanks, thanks for coming and talking to us, And I want to talk a little bit about you and your story because people need to understand who they're going to be helping when they make a donation to Dream Center LA. So you were going about your business last week, yes, and tell us what happened.
Speaker 8: We kind of a warning that we were probably going to be evacuated.
Speaker 5: And what time did this happen?
Speaker 8: It was on the seventh round ten pm.
Speaker 5: Okay, so Tuesday night about that, Yeah.
Speaker 8: We may be evacuated. Then the next morning, roughly around four point thirty, the alarm went off stating we had to evacuate because fires were moving in and closer from the Eaton canyon side.
Speaker 5: Okay, and you're up in are you in Altadena?
Speaker 8: In Altadena? And at that point my wife and dialer were going to leave immediately, and I thought, well, maybe I could stick around and fight the fire, which I did.
Speaker 5: And how long did you do that?
Speaker 8: For about two and a half hours?
Speaker 4: And how did you fight a fire with one hundred mile an hour winds and fifty foot flames?
Speaker 8: Not very well? But I decided to wet the whole landscape of not only my yard, but my roof, my neighbor's yard or fence and everything around.
Speaker 5: And were you the only one there? Did everybody else?
Speaker 8: Everyone got out? My neighbors were gone. Everyone was pretty much gone at that point. So it seemed my neighbor's yard to the west seemed to have caught fire first, and the trees lent were right next to our fence that caught the fence on fire. And another part of the house on the north side ended up catching on fire from a tree on a neighbor's area.
Speaker 4: In northwest And how quickly did that all happen once the fires started, once they caught on the homes.
Speaker 8: It was over a two hour period, but it seemed like twenty minutes. It was so fast, and when did.
Speaker 4: You realize you were fighting a losing battle and needed to get out to save your own life.
Speaker 8: The air outside was really bad from the smoke, but when I went inside for a moment, it was worse inside the house, yeah, than the outside. And it was at that point that I decided to get out.
Speaker 5: Okay.
Speaker 4: And as we mentioned a few minutes ago, Brady shared some videos literally driving away watching your house burn down. Yes, how do you even put words to that?
Speaker 8: You can't. Unfortunately, there's nothing that can be done, and I just had to get out otherwise I was going to probably go down with it.
Speaker 4: So yeah, and so you immediately you got out of the neighborhood and thank god you're okay, and you.
Speaker 5: Went to stay with your sister.
Speaker 8: We were going to We went to stay with my mother in law Arizona, just to get out of the arms away.
Speaker 5: Okay. So now you're back, and have you been able to go see the house yet? No?
Speaker 8: I tried, but it looks like the war zone. There's National Guard and sheriffs and highway patrol and anything you can imagine, but we're not allowed to go into the streets of where our home is.
Speaker 4: Okay, So then you came to Dream Center La. Yes, And what do you do when you come to Dream Center La? Because again, you guys have lost everything?
Speaker 5: Yeah, so what's your first step? What happened when you got here?
Speaker 8: Well, I was more than impressed by all of the things that are available from food, water, clothing, toys for kids and what have you. I mean, it's really an impressive operation here. I mentioned. Yeah, I'm not where I want to be, but someday I will and I'm certain that I'd love to be able to get back for what I've been able to receive in just this short period of time and stuff.
Speaker 5: It's pretty it's humbling to see how people have come.
Speaker 8: Forward, it really is. I can't wait to be able to help others like I'm myself and my family have been helped.
Speaker 5: I love I just I love that spirit.
Speaker 4: And Brady, you know what, I'm so glad you got out and I hope you, you know, will get back on your feet. And you're going to and it's going to be a long road, but we know that the Dream Center LA is going to be here to help you.
Speaker 5: They've got you know, they've they've got the relief.
Speaker 4: They've got the recovery, they've got the rebuilding, and they're going to be there holding your hand and helping you get back on your feet again. And so we're so happy that you're that you're here and your family is safe, and thank you for stopping by and you take care.
Speaker 8: Thank you.
Speaker 3: Wow.
Speaker 4: Brady, this is this, Brady is who Your donations are going to. Your monetary donations, your donations of water, your donations of chapsticks, sunscreen, work clothes, all those things.
Speaker 3: They need it.
Speaker 4: The people of Los Angeles need you now, and you have been turning out in droves. The line of cars when we were at Dream Center LA on Saturday was NonStop, both on the drop off side, I mean people were showing up with pickup trucks full of donations and also the pick up side of people needing to accept those donations. Dream Center LA is back open again today and taking your donations and all through this week from nine am to seven pm at twenty three oh one Bellvue in Los Angeles. It's right an echo park, very easy to get to, and they've got a great little system set up, so you pull in, unload everything, and off you go.
Speaker 5: Dream Center LA doing an amazing job.
Speaker 4: You can also donate at KFI AM six forty dot com, slash donate and if you want to see what they're doing, you can go to my Instagram.
Speaker 5: We did a video of it at Amy K.
Speaker 4: King and I got to talk with the director of Disaster Services and gave me kind of a tour of what they're doing. But thank you for your donation so far, and if you can donate, please do. The need is great. Let's get back to some of the stories coming out of the KFI twenty four hour newsroom.
Speaker 5: A quick correction on the fire.
Speaker 4: There is that brush fire burning in San Diego County that has grown to about eighty acres and it is still threatening property, evacuations or in place. Schools in the area are closed. And then there's another fire burning near Paula, which is north of the fire in Bonsal. It has burned seventeen acres for that one. The forward progress has been stopped for the brush fire the Lilac fire. That one is still going and growing. Powerful winds continue to blow through parts of southern California. The most severe warning is until ten am, with red flag warning until mid afternoon, and then a fire weather watch through tomorrow. Affected areas include the San Gabriel, Santa Clarita, and San Fernando valleys and the Malibu Coast. Governor Newsom has issued an executive order to speed up debris removal and protect wildfire affected areas ahead of expected rainfall this weekend. Burn scars across Alley County raise the risk of mudslides and flooding when it rains. Newsom says his order will speed up debris removal, it will strengthen flood defenses and stabilize hillsides. President Trump has pardoned fifteen hundred people involved in the January sixth riot at the US Capitol. Six sentences were commuted. The President said those will be investigated further. The order was immediate, and Trump said people should be released that could have started last night. We're just minutes away from handle on the news this morning, this just might kill Bill Costco workers may go on strike. Let's say good morning now to the host of How to Money on KFI, Joel lars Guard.
Speaker 5: Joel. Business is booming at Planet Fitness. But is it because we're all getting in shape?
Speaker 13: That's a really good question, and it's true, Like the Planet Fitness is growing like a weed. And what do you think about I mean, we are still right in the heart of Hey, my New Year's resolution is to get fit this year, and I got the gym membership, and I think that's gonna actually push me over the top. It's actually gonna help me, you know, achieve this goal that I've set out for myself. But and I think a lot of people flock to Planet Fitness in particular because for the longest time, memberships were ten dollars a month. I think it's fifteen dollars a month. Now when you think about some of the boutique gyms, you're spending a heck of a lot more than that ten x that for some folks to get their workout on every month. But so Planet Fitness. Because of that low price point, people sign up. But then, because like you know, you don't have much skin in the game, a lot of people actually don't go to workout. So I think I read that the average membership of a Planet Fitness gym is seventy two hundred people. If everybody showed up at the same time, can you imagine what it looked like.
Speaker 5: But luckily we all are procrastinators and don't show up.
Speaker 13: Luckily, for Planet Fitness. Fitness, they've announced I think they have like twenty seven hundred locations around the country and they've announced so.
Speaker 5: The opening more locations or yeah, oh okay.
Speaker 13: They want to get to five thousand in the next two years. So think about the Walgreens on every street corner or whatever. Like, that's what Planet Fitness is going to be like. And I've got no problems with Planet Fitness being a company that makes money, has a good business model, and man, if you are committed to working out and you like working out at Planet Fitness, you know that it's a pretty inexpensive price to be able to hit that gym up and get your workout on. But I think just what this highlights to me is that there are a lot of people who have good intentions and they spend money in hopes of achieving those good intentions. And I think I just want people to rethink fifteen bucks a month might not sound like a lot, but at the end of the day, it's one hundred and eighty bucks a year, and what could you do with money? And there are all sorts of things like that in our lives, where we say, oh, I'm going to sign up for the streaming service to watch this one thing, and then we don't cancel. Planet Fitness is just a symptom. I think of a culture that we live in where maybe we do sign up for things and then we forget to cancel. We don't use it like we thought we were going to. I hope people do, because you know, it's actually a decent value.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, you know, I had a gym membership when I lived in Colorado and I had it for two years and went like twice.
Speaker 8: And you're not.
Speaker 13: That is I think that's like an average American sort of thing to do. So more power to you if you're using it and you are fulfilling your New Year's goal already and you're making progress, you're making headway. But just know, hey, if it's not working out, it's okay to cancel. That doesn't mean you've thrown into towel and then you know, I don't know's start to doing push ups at home?
Speaker 5: Okay, real quick, before we go.
Speaker 4: We are talking about the price of everything is or we've been talking about how the price of everything is so high. What's a surefire way to save a little money and still get a good quality product.
Speaker 13: I love store brands and store brands are proliferating. And the store brands that you're like your grandpa's store brands, sorry, like they've gotten a lot better. Maybe if you haven't tried store brands in a while, if you're super name brand loyal, store brands have gotten a whole lot better. And so one of those examples you just mentioned Costco Kirkland signature items. Costco typically strives to make those tastes better than the name brand equivalent, and I think much of the time they achieve that. Walmart launched this or earlier last year something called Better Goods, and so great value is like the hey, I'm looking for the absolute cheapest price point. That's that store brand for Walmart. But Better Goods is kind of trying to compete with like Trader Joe's on most with some of the funky flavors and kind of fun varieties of stuff they're bringing out. So if you are looking to save money at the grocery store, it's amazing how much you can lower your grocery bill if you offer store brands. And consumer reports they did this test like thirteen years ago of well, how good are the store brands versus the name brands? And most people couldn't tell a difference, or at least a meaningful enough difference. The store brands were perfectly palatable for people, So I would say, at least check those store brands out, and especially if you're going to like an Aldi. The cool thing is if you don't like it, they've got a money back guarantee. So it's like, what's the harm in trying the store brand and then taking it back if it stinks. But yeah, the truth is, when we're talking about grocery inflation, store brands could save you twenty thirty percent or more, twenty.
Speaker 4: To thirty percent. Okay, I'm buying more Signature select a host a out of Money on KFI Joel Larsgard every Sunday from noon to two right here on KFI. You can also follow Joel for great tips on how to money yourself better. That's a weird sentence, but it's actually accurate. That's at how to money, Joel. Thank you, Joel Larsguard.
Speaker 5: We'll talk to you next week, all right, Thanks Amy.
Speaker 4: Okay, just a couple more stories coming out of the KFI twenty four hour News before the top of the hour. Israel and Hamas have confirmed the next hostage release is going to happen on Saturday. A senior Israeli official confirmed the deal must take place on January twenty fifth, as outlined in the ceasefire agreement. Hamas says the second batch of prisoner exchange will take place on the scheduled date. Three women held hostage were released on Sunday. Ninety Palestinian prisoners were released from Israel in the exchange. Two Americans held by the Taliban in Afghanistan have been freed in a prisoner swap with the US. ABC's Shannon Kingston says the Americans were traded for an Afghan shehi hottest and a drug trafficker serving a life sentence in California.
Speaker 7: The family of Ryan Corbett, one of the Americans who had been detained by the Taliban since twenty twenty two, thanks both former President Biden and President Trump for brokering the deal that brought him home.
Speaker 4: The trade happened yesterday as Biden handed power over to Trump. President Trump assigned an executive order to avert a TikTok ban for now in the Oval office. Trump signed the order that gives TikTok seventy five days to either sell it or close it.
Speaker 8: I may not do the deal. I may do the deal.
Speaker 2: TikTok is worthless, worthless if I don't approve its clothes.
Speaker 8: I learned that from the people that own it.
Speaker 4: He says the app may be worth a trillion dollars if he gets a deal done. Trump went on to add that he feels the US should get half of TikTok. The app was dark for about sixteen hours from Saturday evening to Sunday morning when the law banning TikTok went into effect January nineteenth. This is KFI and KOSTHD two Los Angeles, Orange County Southland weather from KFI. Red flag warnings are still in effect through tonight for most areas, with gusts to about sixty miles an hour in the valleys in Malibu Coast, sunny sky's highs around seventy at the beaches Metro LA and Inlando c sixties to low seventies in the valleys in ie fifties in the Antelope Valley. We're going to see some clouds tomorrow morning, then partly cloudy with highs in the Lota mid seventy, about the same for Thursday, cooling down on Friday, with a decent chance of.
Speaker 5: Some rain this weekend.
Speaker 4: It's fifty six in Orange, forty seven Manhattan Beach, forty six in Studio City, and fifty five in Tustin. We lead local live from the KFI twenty four hour newsroom.
Speaker 5: I'm Amy King.
Speaker 4: This has been your wake up call, and if you missed any of wake Up Call, you can listen anytime.
Speaker 5: It's on the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 1: You've been listening to wake Up Call with me Amy King. You can always hear wake Up Call five to six am Monday through Friday on KFI Am six forty and anytime on demand on the iHeartRadio app.