Speaker 1: Welcome back to the deep Dive. Today we are we're not just looking at a technical glitch. We are staring into the abyss of one of the most enduring, dangerous, and honestly philosophically fascinating concepts in computer security.
Speaker 2: It really is it's the vulnerability that just refuses to die, the classic boogeyman.
Speaker 1: We are talking about buffer overflows. And if that term makes you think of, I don't know, a plumbing disaster, You're not entirely.
Speaker 2: Wrong, not at all. It's just that the pipes are memory and the water is malicious coat. And to guide us through this, we're digging into a really foundational.
Speaker 1: Text, right the book Buffer Overflow Attacks, Detect, Exploit, Prevent by James C. Foster.
Speaker 2: It's a technical book, for sure, but it gets surprisingly deep on the why of it all.
Speaker 1: And we're pairing that with a really striking forward by Dave Tell, who frames this whole topic in a way I just did not expect. It's less like computer science and more like a martial art, and.
Speaker 2: That's exactly where we're talking about this. It's so easy to dismiss buffer overflows as the you know, old school bug from the nineties.
Speaker 1: Yeah, something we should have solved by now.
Speaker 2: But the source material makes this compelling case. If you want to understand security, you have to understand the overflow. It is the fundamental proof that the software community still doesn't fully get how to design secure code.
Speaker 1: That is a heavy statement, proof we don't know how to write secure code. It is so our mission today is to dig into that. We want to move past the buzzwords and really understand the mechanics, the stack, the heap, the shell code, and figure out.
Speaker 2: Why on earth writing an exploit is described as a statement of truth.
Speaker 1: Okay, but before we get into the you know, truth and beauty of it all, let's ground this in reality, because when these things go wrong, they go wrong in public. And my favorite example from the book involves Madonna.
Speaker 2: Oh, this story is incredible. It's this perfect collision of celebrity, copyright and hackers with way too much time on their hands.
Speaker 1: So let's set the scene. It's April two thousand and three and napster is gone, but file sharing is just exploding. Everyone's on Khaza LimeWire.
Speaker 2: Right, and Madonna is about to release her new album, American Life, and she decides no, the parrots are not gonna win.
Speaker 1: She's taking a stand, so her team floods these networks with decoy files.
Speaker 2: Exactly, you think you're downloading her new single, you wait an hour on your dial up modem, I remember that pain, and when you finally play it, it's not the song. It's just a loop of Madonna's voice saying what the fuck do you think you're doing.
Speaker 1: Which honestly is a pretty punk rock move for a pop star. What do you think you're doing? It's so direct, it is.
Speaker 2: But you just don't poke the internet bear like that and expect nothing to happen.
Speaker 1: No, the retaliation was swift.
Speaker 2: A group of hackers, rumored to be the editors of Frag magazine, though they denied it, decided to target Madonna dot com itself.
Speaker 1: And this wasn't social engineering, right. They didn't just guess her pastorng No.
Speaker 2: No, no, this is a pure technical takedown. They found a buffer overflow of vulnerability in her web server software. They didn't just crash the site, They exploited it, took it over, and the defacement was so personal, extremely They wiped the site and posted the actual MP three's of her new album for free download.
Speaker 1: Basically saying you want to hide it here It is for everybody but the kicker.
Speaker 2: The real chef's kiss was the message they left on the homepage.
Speaker 1: This is the best part.
Speaker 2: They changed the headline to mimic her decoy file. It just read this is what the fuck I think I'm doing.
Speaker 1: That is brutal, such a specific clap back.
Speaker 2: And then, just for good measure, they added a marriage proposal to Morgan Webb from tech TV.
Speaker 1: It was just this perfect storm of technical skill and internet trolling.
Speaker 2: But the real takeaway for us is the access. This wasn't a glitch. This was total control. They owned that machine.
Speaker 1: That distinction is so key. So let's peel back the layers. How do you get from sending too much data to owning the machine? Let's define the beast. What is actually overflowing?
Speaker 2: Okay, so let's break this down. A buffer is really just a fancy name for a container in the computer's memory. Think of it like a bucket and ram set aside to hold say a username.
Speaker 1: Okay, so a bucket designed to hold ten characters exactly.
Speaker 2: And overflow is just trying to pour one hundred characters into that ten character bucket. In the real world, it spills on the floor. In computer memory, there is no floor.
Speaker 1: There's no empty space.
Speaker 2: No, everything is packed in right next to everything else. When you spill over, you're not spilling onto the floor. You're spilling into the next bucket over. You're physically overriding whatever data was sitting there.
Speaker 1: And that data could be anything. It could be part of a picture, or it could be a critical system instruction.
Speaker 2: Precisely, and this is where the geography of memory really matters. The source breaks it down into two main types, stack overflows and heap corruption.
Speaker 1: Let's start with the stack. That's the one you always hear about movies.
Speaker 2: It is because it's the most common. The stack is this very neat organized part of memory for temporary stuff like a stack of plates. But buried in that stack of plates is something incredibly important called the return address.
Speaker 1: The return address that's the bookmark, right. It tells the program where to go back to.
Speaker 2: That's a perfect analogy. When a program runs a little side task like check password, it needs to know where to return to. When it's done, it writes that location, that return address, onto the stack.
Speaker 1: So it's like, okay, I'm going to go do this, and when I'm finished. I'll come right back to this line of code exactly.
Speaker 2: Now, imagine your buffer, your bucket is sitting right next to that return address on the stack. If you pour too much data in, you overflow and physically overwrite that bookmark.
Speaker 1: You're erasing their map and drawing your own.
Speaker 2: Yes, you replace the go back to the main program instruction with go to this specific address where I've hidden my own malicious code. The function finishes. The computer blindly follows your new map and executes your code.
Speaker 1: That's the hijack. You've turned the program into your puppet.
Speaker 2: That's it. Now the heap is different. It's messier, more dynamic exploiting. It is harder because it's not as predictable, but still possible.
Speaker 1: And the book it also mentions format strings. Is that the same thing.
Speaker 2: It's related. It comes from lazy programming. If you let a user type in special characters like a PRESANX into a function that prints text, you can trick it into reading from memory or even writing to it. It's a different door to the same room.
Speaker 1: Okay, so we've got the mechanism, But I want to go back to what Davi Tell said in the forward. He talks about this whole process like it's almost spiritual. He compares it to judo.
Speaker 2: He does, and it fits so well. In judo, you use your opponent's weight against them in a buffer overflow. You're not breaking the system from the outside. You are using its own software, its own memory, its own rules against it. You're flipping the system with its own momentum.
Speaker 1: He also says it's like weightlifting, something you have to constantly practice.
Speaker 2: Right. You can't just learn this once. The whole landscape is a treadmill. Microsoft adds a protection hackers find a bypass, a new protection, a new bypass. ATel says, if you stop writing exploits for three months, your skills are basically ancient history.
Speaker 1: That's intense. It's not just notledge, it's performance. You have to stay fit.
Speaker 2: And that leads to the mindset. He describes never be afraid. It sound like a motivational poster, but he means it. When you're deep in assembly, code and memory addresses, it's easy to get lost. He says, you have to fantasize about the success, visualize getting that rootshell to push through.
Speaker 1: I love that quote, and exploit is a complex statement of truth.
Speaker 2: What you're saying, is this is possible, and saying it truthfully makes it beautiful.
Speaker 1: That completely reframes it. The hacker isn't a vandal, they're a realist. They're proving that the code as it exists isn't what the developer imagined exactly.
Speaker 2: It's the code as imagined versus the code as it actually is. In silicon, the exploit proves the reality.
Speaker 1: So let's get into that truth. We've overslowed the buffer, we've hijacked the return address. Now we need to actually do something. We need a payload and or shell code. This was the part of the book that really just blew my mind. Shell code is the actual set of instructions you inject.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the goal is usually to launch a shell a command prompt so you can take over. But writing shell code is like building a ship in a bottle while wearing ofnmits. The constraints are just insane, And.
Speaker 1: The biggest one is the addressing problem. Can you break that down?
Speaker 2: Sure? So, imagine you're dropped into a forest with a map, but you have no idea where you are on that map. The shell code is injected into memory, but it doesn't know its own address.
Speaker 1: It doesn't know where it lives right, and.
Speaker 2: To run it needs to find its own data, like the text string binch to start the command line. But how can it point to its own feet if it doesn't know where it's standing?
Speaker 1: So how does it find itself?
Speaker 2: There's this brilliant, almost beautiful trick mentioned in the text, the jmpcl trick.
Speaker 1: Okay, walk me through it.
Speaker 2: The code starts, the very first instruction is jump. It jumps all the way to the very end of its own.
Speaker 1: Code, skips everything, goes to the end.
Speaker 2: At the end is a calible instruction which says go back to the beginning.
Speaker 1: Wait, why jump to the end just to call back to the start? That sounds pointless.
Speaker 2: It's all about the side effects assembly language. When you use the call instruction, the CPU automatically does something helpful. It pushes the return address onto the stack.
Speaker 1: Ah. So by calling itself, the code forces the CPU to write down I was just here exactly.
Speaker 2: The shell code then just pops that address off the stack and boom. It now knows its own location in memory. It located itself by using the CPU's own bookmarking system against it.
Speaker 1: That is unbelievably clever. It's like throwing a boomerang just to see where it comes back from.
Speaker 2: It's elegant. But that's not even the hardest part. You also have the NLL byte problem.
Speaker 1: The nl byte. This sounded like the absolute villain of the story.
Speaker 2: It's the nemesis. Remember we're injecting our code through a function that handles text strings. In the C programming language, a string ends with the NLL byte. The value zero.
Speaker 1: It's the period at the end of the sentence tells the program to stop reading.
Speaker 2: Correct. So if your malicious shell code has a single zero byte anywhere in it, the copy function just stopped ops. It cuts your attack off before it's even fully loaded.
Speaker 1: But zeros have to be everywhere in code. If I want to set a register to zero, then instruction contains zero exactly.
Speaker 2: So you have to figure out how to command the processor to use the value zero without ever actually writing a zero in your code. It's like writing a novel without using the letter E.
Speaker 1: How is that even possible?
Speaker 2: Use math, specifically the xor.
Speaker 1: Operation xor exclusive or R.
Speaker 2: Right, it's a basic logic gate. If you xr any value with itself, the result is always zero. Everything cancels out.
Speaker 1: So instead of telling the computer move zero into register A, you tell it xor register A with register A and the result is zero.
Speaker 2: The result is zero, but the instruction itself, the actual bytes you injected, contains no zeros. You've completely bypassed the filter.
Speaker 1: That is the art form, that's the Judo move. It's this incredible constraint based creativity.
Speaker 2: It really is. You're navigating this minefield where one wrong bite just crashes everything before you can get control.
Speaker 1: So we've navigated the minefield, we have our shell code. Where are we running this? The book distinguishes between remote and local attack right.
Speaker 2: Remote is the classic hacker movie, you're attacking a server across the internet. Local is when you're already inside with a low level account and you want to become the administrator or route.
Speaker 1: Let's do remote first, you launch the exploit. How do you actually talk to the shell you just spawned?
Speaker 2: The simple way is port binding. Your shell code tells the victim machine to open a new door, say port one, two, three, four five and listen. Then you just connect to that new port.
Speaker 1: But firewalls would hate that, oh they do.
Speaker 2: A random new port opening up is a gigantic red flag it gets blocked immediately. This sophisticated method is socket reus.
Speaker 1: How does that work?
Speaker 2: It's parasitic. The shell code looks for the connection that's already open, the very one you use to send the exploit. It finds that connections handle in.
Speaker 1: Memory, and it just takes it over.
Speaker 2: It duplicates it. It redirects the shell's input and output to that existing connection. So from the firewalls perspective, there's no new connection. You send the exploit, and suddenly your existing terminal window is the command prompt on their server.
Speaker 1: That is terrifyingly stealthy.
Speaker 2: It is now for local attacks, the goal is usually escaping some kind of jail. The book talks about the crup jail.
Speaker 1: A creup jail sounds like a timeout corner for software.
Speaker 2: It's a pretty good analogy. It's a security feature that locks a program into a specific directory. As far as that program knows that folders the entire universe. It can't see the real system files outside.
Speaker 1: So if you hack the program, you're still stuck in jail. How do you break out?
Speaker 2: The technique in the book is shockingly simple. If you have root powers inside the jail, you create a new folder, and then you use the fruit command again to move into that new folder.
Speaker 1: Jail inside of jail, Yes.
Speaker 2: But because of a quirk in older systems, doing that nested crude breaks the link to the original jail. And then you just spam dot slash.
Speaker 1: Go up one folder commandment over and over.
Speaker 2: You just climb the directory tree until you pop out at the top of the real file system. You've escaped.
Speaker 1: That feels like a video game cheat code, just running against a wall until you clip through the map.
Speaker 2: It basically is. And it just goes to show that even security features are just code, and if you understand the logic better than the person who wrote it, you can bypass it.
Speaker 1: Hearing all of this, the complexity, the creativity, the sheer fragility of memory, it brings us back to the big question, why why does the still work? We've known about this for decades.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the micro data in the book says buffer overflows account for a huge percentage of vulnerabilities. That number goes up and down, but the principle holds.
Speaker 1: So what's the root cause it's.
Speaker 2: Almost always the same thing. Poor input validation.
Speaker 1: We trust the user too much.
Speaker 2: We assume the user will send a username. That's eight characters long. We don't plan for them sending ten thousand characters of malicious assembly. We code for the happy path, not the psychopathic one.
Speaker 1: But surely big companies like Microsoft and Oracle are checking for this stuff.
Speaker 2: They are. But the source makes a great point about the myth of bug free software. It calls out Oracle, who once famously claimed their software was unbreakable.
Speaker 1: That's just asking for trouble. It's like naming your ship the Titanic.
Speaker 2: It is and they were proven wrong immediately. The book argues something that sounds a bit controversial, complete security should not be a sought after goal.
Speaker 1: Wait, really, we shouldn't try to be completely secure.
Speaker 2: His point is that it's unrealistic. It's an impossible goal. Software is just too complex. The goal should be risk management. You aim for realistic milestones like no user provided input vulnerabilities. You manage the flaws. You don't pretend you can eliminate them entirely.
Speaker 1: Because they're written by humans, and humans make mistakes, and.
Speaker 2: Buffer overflows are the digital version of that. It's what happens when our creations get away from us.
Speaker 1: So after all this, what's the takeaway? We've gone from this scary boogeyman to the beautiful truth of the code.
Speaker 2: I think it just changes how you look at the digital world. It's not this solid, reliable thing. It's this fragile, intricate dance of memory, and we can run it.
Speaker 1: That keeps changing shape. And I want to leave our listeners with that one final thought from Itel's forward that honestly just gave me chills.
Speaker 2: I think I know which one you mean.
Speaker 1: He writes that somewhere right now, there's a fifteen year old in Sweden working twenty hours a day to be better than you at this.
Speaker 2: It's a very sobering thought.
Speaker 1: He says. It's not just about learning a skill, it's about fiddling until the code is clean, until it's perfect. While security professionals are in meetings, that kid is staring at a heck stump trying to find one extra bite of space for their shell code.
Speaker 2: And that applies to the defenders too. Security isn't a product you buy, it's a process. It's the process of understanding the deepest flaws in what we build. Hopefully before that fifteen year old does.
Speaker 1: On that note, maybe it's time for all of us to go update our systems and maybe stop trusting user infally quite so much. Thanks for diving deep with us, Take curious, See you next time.