Speaker 1: Welcome back to another episode of the Restaurant Report. Today, we're going to be looking at a market update and mainly looking at what is going on from a brand side, also some consumer trends where the market may be leaning in terms of sales and profits, and some of the challenges that we'll be facing here in the industry. Today is going to be a good one that I don't think you guys are going to want to miss. I'm going to be joined here by Sam Ocus, who is the editor in chief of Nation's Restaurant News. You guys know them over there at Informa. It's going to be a good, lively discussion and I want you guys to stick around. We'll be right back. This episode is brought to you in part by Gusto, the number one rated HR platform for payroll, benefits and more. With Gusto's easy to use platform, you can empower your people and push your business forward. Over four hundred thousand business is choose Gusto every day. And let's get into it, guys. There's a couple of things you can do with Gusto that you should check out. Some of the solutions that you're just absolutely going to want to know about is of course their business type new businesses and startups. You guys are welcome coming in small businesses. Maybe you have a mid sized business that needs an all in one payroll and benefit program as well as HR all of this scaling. The cool thing about this is it's an all in one platform. They can also select and punch in right to your accountants. So check it out. You've got a Gusto Pro platform. You can become a partner with them if you're an accountant, So if you have a CPA already, this is the place for you. And of course the best thing is pricing. The thing about Gusto is flexible plans and features honest pricing, no hidden fees. This is the plan that we use, which is the Plus plan sixty bucks a month. Guys, you cannot go wrong. It's about nine bucks a person, so you guys can definitely afford it. Get in there and choose Gusto with a full suite of tax services, HR services, time tracking, scheduling, expenses, reimbursements. You get the picture. Gusto is the place for you. Check it all out. Just go over to Gusto dot com use our link down below to get started. See you there. All right, We're back here on the Restaurant Report and I've got Sam Olcus coming in with me today and Sam, how are you.
Speaker 2: I'm good, Paul, thanks for having me.
Speaker 1: Nice to see you. Very good. Likewise, listen, I wanted to you know, we talked a little bit about this on pree of the show. Tell me a little bit about where Informa is today. You mentioned there's some changes in the roles and you guys got some team changes. Give us an update a little bit of what's going over there.
Speaker 3: Yeah, sure, so if you don't know, Informa is a global event management company primarily based in London, but over the years they've grown to encompass also immediate side of the business as well. So we have our division is called Informa Food Service, and in Forma food Service encompasses six publications. Nation's Restaurant News and Restaurant Hospitality are two of them. Those are the two ioversee. We also have Restaurant Business and Food Service Director, and then we have two retail publications, Supermarket News and CSP. So it's all food related publications for the industry within Informa Food Service. But we are a part of the bigger event management company that is in Forma.
Speaker 1: Okay, so Informa has events obviously multi sectors that you guys track. Obviously, the food side is the big one that we're going to be diving in today. I want to kind of lead off with the topic around the layoffs because that's probably the biggest news that's been hitting here recently. Starbucks went in had some layoffs. We saw Brian Nickel kind of make a pretty drastic move in the space right now, and he also did a big kind of callback to his team saying, Hey, we're really focused on getting the job done. We want people to come back in the office. Are you seeing any other brands that are really kind of in that position right now?
Speaker 2: Yeah, certainly.
Speaker 3: You know, we've seen layoffs across the industry, Panera, Bloomin brands, a number of companies have announced they're going to do that, and you know, this is part of a broader trend across industries. I think, you know, post pandemic. To be honest with you, I'm surprised it didn't happen earlier. I think a couple of years ago we started to see a lot of layoffs at technology companies in particular, right.
Speaker 2: So, I think it was early twenty twenty three.
Speaker 3: You know, we were calling twenty twenty three the Year of efficiencies.
Speaker 2: Meta.
Speaker 3: The Facebook owner was I think laying off ten thousand employees something like that, you know, So we thought at that time, oh wow, so lots of layoffs coming all of the glut of the pandemic, especially in the tech sector, was going to have a domino effect and we're going to start seeing more layoffs as companies try to leverage technology to achieve efficiency. And it didn't happen as much in the restaurant industry then, So I think to some degree what we're seeing now is that kind of pushed back to where here in early twenty twenty five, companies are saying, look, we are too fat at the top, We've got too much especially you know on the corporate side of things, We've got to get a leaner ship here. We've got to have some efficiencies to improve our profitability because, as I think we'll probably talk about here, you know, profitability is taking a hit as costs of everything go.
Speaker 2: Up, as consumers pull back because of inflation.
Speaker 3: So in order to improve profitability, this is one of the ways companies are looking is at the corporate.
Speaker 1: Layoffs well, and I think you're hitting on it is the profit side of this. We'll look at some Chipoli numbers here in a minute, but this is something that has mostly been at the corporate level. However, I've also talked to a lot of operators here recently in the fast casual space. They've even talked about trying to slow their growth in terms of hiring and looking to hire more quality. So I'm kind of curious, do you think we're going to see a little bit of a shift in possibly the workforce and is this being aided in by maybe some of the improvements that we've seen from AI.
Speaker 3: Absolutely, I mean I think no doubt about it. For the last five to ten years, as we've watched a lot of the tech innovation come forward that in a lot of ways is doing the role of some employees. I mean, I think a very easy thing to look at is voice activated ordering and putting that in the drive through. So, just using that as an example, QSR brands in particular tend to do seventy to eighty percent of their business in the drive through lane, which makes the drive through order taker one of the most important people in that building, and if you replace that person with AI, if that's a voice activated AI that is taking your order, you're you're maybe not necessarily getting rid of that position, but you're going to reallocate that labor. And even as you reallocate the labor with your strong employee who was previously to making orders in the drive through, it's going to have that domino effect to where you aren't going to need that many employees in the restaurant. So that's just one example of throughout the operation, particularly in the back of house, I think you see a shakeup of technology taking over some of the roles of employees, a reallocation of labor, often toward the front of the house to provide hospitality. But it is affording the restaurant companies the ability to pull back on their labor, which of course is one of the biggest cost on your p and l anymore and getting more and more expensive, and of course the quality talent just isn't there when you're hiring, so tech makes a lot of sense in relieving the pressure of labor.
Speaker 2: So I think that's what you're talking about, Paul Is.
Speaker 3: I think a lot of companies are saying, okay, well, we're going to pull back on hiring. We're going to look for ways that tech can you make our operation more efficient, pick up a lot of the responsibilities that our employees previously were doing, and that's going to have the net effect of a couple of positions getting cut.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think the key here when you look at the percentage of savings. I'll go in and I'll share this portion of the article. Let me kind of zoom in on that here as well. What you'll notice is Denny's CFO. This is Robert Verstek. He said that just the corporate support centers, which goes back to here. Now, granted, support centers are usually supporting maybe the operation side, but still saying that this would result in about a three and a half to four percent savings in their general administrative expenses. So I'm kind of curious if that is being impacted just by work that it's kind of like doze for the restaurant industry. Are we seeing kind of a cycle of saying, well, we just had some jobs that were a little bit more fluffed than they were productive, or do you think, oh, no, we're doing that on an AI by which is it or is it a blend of both.
Speaker 3: Probably a blend of both. I mean, if you look at what Brian Nicol has done at Starbucks. You know, when he announced that there would be layoffs, before they announced the scope of those layoffs, he said that they were going to target employees at the corporate level who you know, weren't in any kind of meaningful leadership position where they you know, they didn't necessarily have ownership of any particular project or division, which is you know, basically stripping out layers. Right. So I think that this is what a lot of private equity will do well to go exact bliness, they strip out the layers, right, And I think that's what some of these companies are doing, you know, and what perhaps DOJE is doing at a broader federal level. And so and whether you think that's right or wrong, by the way, that that has the effect of lowering your GNA. As the Dennis CFO was alluding to their finding hopefully some efficiencies, I mean, because look, you don't want to strip out the layers and then you know, in the months after that, find out oh, like those were actually quintessential employees that we needed to run this business. Yeah, so there is a danger to it, but I think if you're a little bit more precise, you're a little bit more calculated on who the people we need to have and who are the quintessential employees to running this company versus those who are maybe we have a little bit of fluff, maybe there's a little bit of glut here. There is a way I think you can do it to make it where you are saving and you are finding efficiencies as well. Yeah.
Speaker 1: I think the you know, the brands that I've talked to who have done and gone through the process of at least setting up a plan for twenty twenty five for reducing corporate workforce, most of them have kind of pointed it at, hey, we are getting to more AI tools that possibly I don't need as many people. In marketing, I don't need as many people. Maybe enfranchising A lot of that is being done now in new places. But to your point is if they just overreach, that could be obviously an issue for the brand going forward, especially on growth.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and I think yeah, and I to point out to just you know, the support part of support center, which is, if you have a company, let's just use McDonald's as an example, McDonald's is ninety five percent franchised and they have thousands and thousands of franchises or thousands of franchise operators. If you, as a sport center, cut the people who are supporting the franchisees, that of course has a trickle down effect, right sure, and you're going to start having disgruntled franchisees. You're going to have the restaurants start start falling apart, frankly, because the role of a support center is to do exactly that, is to support the restaurants. So that's where it's I think restaurants must be very very careful. They must say, we're not going to cut the part of this business that is ensuring a great experience at the restaurant level. Perhaps we're just cutting the parts of this business that I think, Paul, to your point, if you look at AI and data and how it's affecting, for example, supply chain, if you had a whole team of people who were in charge of the supply chain and managing supply and logistics, and suddenly you have AI that can do that very effectively, well, maybe you don't need as many people on that team because you have those tools that can do it for you.
Speaker 1: All Right, We're going to continue on the challenges in the industry. Obviously, this isn't a doomsday podcast, we do. We're going to talk about some good stuff too. Yes, in the end to kind of get into that, I want to talk about sales and profit. Obviously, one of the biggest issues that we're already faced with as recording today. We actually saw President Trump come in with not an extended, a more amped up tariff on Canada on aluminum steel went up to like fifty percent. But here's the point I'm getting at is that this unsettling feeling I think is probably in the gut of a lot of CEOs right now, even in the food space, because they're like, hey, what do we get from Canada? Because there could be another target, whether it's Mexico or Canada. We've already seen this will play a clip here from Scott Boat Ride. But if you look at just the inflation impact on American consumers, because this is going to trickle down probably into a lot of other areas, not just steal in an aluminum. But you'll notice here a couple of points that this article is hitting on right here from Bloomberg is they're really going after some of the core things low income households. And this is where I'm going on this. Let me kind of zoom in on that for everybody that's watching this over on YouTube. Low income households who spend a larger share of their budgets on goods, they're wealthy and tend to favor cheaper imports. This is going to bear the brunt of the hit on a lot of these So this being the FAE the face of potentially the restaurant industry as well, because QSR, fast casual target that household. And if we do see some pressures here from these other ancillary tariffs, do you think that's going to have an impact on the industry here in twenty five.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there's no doubt. There's no doubt.
Speaker 3: The National Restaurant Association wrote a letter to the Trump administration saying that it would be about twelve billion dollars. It would cost to the industry about twelve billion dollars. Now, I cannot keep up with what wave of tariffs are being proposed, and so that was perhaps a previous wave. That number might actually be higher now I'm not sure, but I think what you know, the Association is trying to point out is you know, we import a lot of food to this country. And if you think about something like Mexico and avocados, I believe it's something like ninety percent of the avocados in America are grown in Mexico. Something, you know, incredible like that. So you know, tariffs they have of course a huge impact on the food industry. And so when you think about twelve billion dollars, you know, you might say to yourself, Okay, in a one point five trillion dollar business, is twelve billion dollars just to drop in the bucket. But I think what you're getting at here, Paul, is the fact that that twelve billion dollars, especially if you hit a company, say a Mexican chain that serves a lot of avocados, and they have no choice but to increase their prices because of what they're paying on those imported avocados, for example, then yes, that will have a big impact on the low income consumer. And I think to that article's point, you know, the low income consumer, we are already seeing them pull back.
Speaker 2: You've already seen that inflation. Has they finally had enough with inflation?
Speaker 3: With menu prices going up twenty five thirty thirty five percent at a lot of chains. They can't take it anymore. They're tidening the belts, they're pulling back. And if you add this an additional layer in the tariffs on top of it, if you have to increase cost of goods that are imported from other countries getting these tariffs, yeah, they're going to have had enough and they're going to say I'm going to call it now.
Speaker 2: They have to eat so they you know, supermarkets are also.
Speaker 3: Selling goods that are affected by tariffs. So the unfortunate reality is that there's not a great solution for low income consumers. But we've seen throughout history that historically they will they will cut back on restaurants first, if they're cutting back on any expense.
Speaker 1: Well, and there are some there are some indicators out there that restaurants are trying to almost position themselves as an alternative option to even going grocery, to the grocery side of things, or blending, because I see this in a lot of families where they order something from a takeout restaurant and then they'll backfill it, you know, at home, whether it's a dinner or a lunch you know thing. I mean, even our family does that and it's pretty effective. I want to play a clip though for you. This is Scott Boatwright coming in from Chipotle and he has some interesting statements that he did in this in this interview here with Bloomberg. Let me play this for you.
Speaker 4: Let's start with tariffs, because we can't avoid the elephant in the room here, the single biggest way that tariffs are making your life actual potlein more difficult.
Speaker 5: Of course, tariff's impact everyone here in the US as we think about I know avocado supply is on the top of mind for a lot of US consumers. It is for us as you can imagine, we've gone through what we believe to be a very sound vendor diversification program as it relates to buying avocados. We buy everything that we can possibly pick up here in the US during the growing season that's here in California. But we've also moved out of Mexico, which was about eighty percent of our supply, to other countries like Dominican Republic and even Colombia, and reduce the reliance to about fifty percent. With further diversification efforts underway.
Speaker 4: So the diversification effort and the sourcing inside the US. How has that affected the cost? Has it increased costs for you?
Speaker 1: All right, I'm gonna pause it there. That was a crazy question. Increased costs? Why would you if you're increasing your costs? All right, but they are talking about diversification. So that's at least one you know, tool in their in their bin that they can go fight.
Speaker 3: Now.
Speaker 1: One thing it went on in that in that article and then that video to say is that Chipotle is not going to raise prices. My question to you how long can they hold the line?
Speaker 2: That's a great question.
Speaker 3: And you know that that is a bet that this is a short term thing. That's I think that's a bet to say, Okay, you know, the tariffs are coming in, maybe for as a short term uh you know thing that happens, but eventually, perhaps whether it's you know, consumer outcry or whatever it is, that perhaps they'll pull back on the tariffs eventually, or if it's some political stalemate that President Trump is you know, trying to get Mexico in Canada to do something, you know, and they've bend.
Speaker 2: To his will, you know, whatever that is.
Speaker 3: I think Chipotle's probably betting that this is not a long term thing that they're going to have to face and that they can go back to their preferred avocado supply.
Speaker 2: So who knows.
Speaker 3: I think if there's one thing about this administration, it's unpredictability. Nobody really knows. But to point out about the supply chain diversification, I mean, one of the luxuries I guess you could call it, unfortunately of the pandemic is the flexibility with which companies were able to get around supply chain you know, challenges because of course in the pandemic we saw as the borders shut down, companies had to get very creative in their supply They had to figure out logistically, you know, how can I get avocados, how can I get you know, vegetables, fruits, whatever it might be. And they developed that muscle of okay, let's diversify our supply chain. So that's a good tool to have in your toolbox now when you face tariffs and you can do as Scott was saying, which is okay, we're going to go you know source of course from our local California avocado growers, or go to Peru or Colombia, you know, So that is a solution. The unfortunate reality is that's also a logistical headache to have to do that. And the fact of the matter is there are also parts of this world that are you know, the soul growers and certain goods.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 3: So, Mexico is one of the premier avocado growers. It's not the only one, but it's one of the premiere avocado growers. So, and we all know what supply chain.
Speaker 2: Two.
Speaker 3: The other thing is, depending on how much you might need of a certain good, you can't snap your fingers and make a supply chain appear there. You know, growers in years in some instances to get a crop planted and harvested. So it's not so easy as to say, okay, well I'm going to move my supply from Mexico to Peru.
Speaker 2: There we go. I've figured it out.
Speaker 3: You have to figure out things like, okay, well, who are the growers, how long do they have before this harvest? You know, how much volume is there, how much does it cost? How do we do you know, do we plan three years in advance and say we're going to go and plan that we're going to have Columbia supply some of our avocados instead. That is a headache. It is logistics a nightmare really to some degree. So you don't want to have to do it, but it is a possibility that you can do it.
Speaker 2: Well.
Speaker 1: Okay, So with that being the case, we'll stay on Chipotle here for a second because I want to show some data to you, because this is to me, I look at this, you know more from an analyst side of things. I'll talk about that in a second. I mean, we've been Saver has shifted a little bit of our business model here recently into from really a podcast in thought leadership only platform. We have another division where we do investment and here recently we also opened up a fund to do some investment in the restaurant space. I'm paying a lot more attention to these these data points, and one that I wanted to show you was this right here. This is coming in from Chipotle's basically their last quarterly and you'll notice here over twenty twenty three, especially in Q one of twenty four, it's continuing to rise. This of course is during price and for those of you that are not watching this on screen, let me zoom in on that. For you, Sam, looks like you're maybe and maybe people aren't seeing completely exactly what I'm showing here, but I want to make sure that in twenty three we start to see pricing rising. You'll notice here net margin continued to increase. So it's like fifteen three three this was in Q two that was their high point. Q three of twenty four drops to thirteen eighty seven. This is net margin, and then Q four I'm sorry, Q three Q four of twenty four it drops to eleven point sixty six. So I'm looking at declining margins here. In general, if you have declining margins and now you have potentially enough pressure from this administration that could push us into a soft recession, I don't know if that's a word, but you're going to see less activity, which obviously is top line sales. Yeah, how can Chipotle not raise prices? It just seems like your margins are down and your sales may be next. So how would you be able to avoid that?
Speaker 3: That's at some point something has to give, and you can hold the line as long as you possibly can. And I love the you know, I love the optimism and say no, no, we're.
Speaker 2: Not going to raise prices.
Speaker 3: We're not going to pass that cost on to the customer. But again with the inability to you know, nobody has the crystal ball to see what's going to happen six months from now, much less even just a month from now. You know, at some point, if this drags on longer and longer, if in fact, we do go into a recession, if that margin continues to drop, they have no choice. They will have to raise prices because, you know, you just something has got to give at some point. You have to have marchin to be a viable business, and especially a business like Chipotle. So it's not what they want to do in a lot of instances, it's the last ditch effort, but something's got to give.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think this is the factor that almost every restaurant chain is going to be looking at in twenty twenty five because there is some shift here. There may be maybe a silver lining here in the sense that maybe there's some softening in the labor market which could open up at least the ability to operate the labor line a little bit better. We're definitely going to talk about that here in a second. On the back half, we're going to be talking about opportunities. So make sure and stick around on that. And of course if you guys did not know, this is something that you should be aware of, is that Saber Capital is now out there. We are out there taking deals. One thing that we are doing more and more with SAVER is looking at where the restaurant industry is growing. We think tech and early stage fast casual are the markets. So if you guys are interested, if you're whether you're a tech founder or may be a fast casual operator and you're looking to either get advisor or capital services, jump over to Saber dot FM and just hit that services section right there at the top. You'll see our capital and advisory page. Get there, bill out the form. Maybe there's something that we can do for you guys. Never know. All right, Sam, let's get into the next section here, and I want to talk about opportunities and there's several areas that potentially could really shift the business a lot. This year, everybody's been talking about AI. I mean, we've had so many podcasts just on that topic alone. Do you think technology integration this year twenty twenty five, not down the road, can have a true impact on this bottom line for the industry.
Speaker 3: No doubt, no doubt that technology will have an effect, especially if you look at again, if your margins are decreasing but labor costs are increasing, and you find a way to invest in technology that can and again perhaps replacer or reallocate some of your labor, you could potentially save on your labor costs with the help of technology.
Speaker 2: So one very easy way to look at that.
Speaker 3: Of course, you could also, you know, say, well, in your capital expensure expenditures, as you're growing and you want to shrink the footprint of your box, leverage technology for the sake of enhancing off premises business and ordering. You know, again, there's lots of ways in which you can weave tech into your business to save on your costs. And that is a good thing. That's you know, that's been true for the last many, many years. It continues to be the case. Of course, ramped up in twenty twenty with COVID, everybody started looking more and more at technology and how it could help your business. And the fact of the matter is there are a lot of ways now in which technology almost has to be the solution if you can't give anymore again on maybe your goods, but also your labor or your buildout costs and you can instead invest in some technology that that is maybe a one time investment that you know will replace some of your ongoing costs and labor. I think you have to do that. So yes, this year, that technology is there, it's available to you. It's more and more affordable, I think, especially for some of the emerging brands, because before it was kind of this playground for the maker chains. Yeah, I mean young brands McDonald's are out here acquiring AI businesses and building you know, young built to that new byte division where you know they put everything under that one umbrella. And that's great and they can do that as the largest restaurant company in the world, But what can that five unit burger chain do?
Speaker 2: What can that mom and pop do?
Speaker 3: And the fact of the matter is there's a lot more now that they can do in twenty twenty five than they could do even in twenty twenty two or twenty three. There is technology that is affordable and available now. I would caution we are also seen to some degree, I think, some tech fatigue. An interesting study from the National Restaurant Association that came out a few weeks ago. It was their State of the Industry Report, they found that I think it was twenty eight percent of restaurant operators said that they were not getting proper ROI out of their tech investments. And that was really fascinating because it was something like it was eighty something percent who said they're investing in technology, but only twenty eight percent said they were getting any kind of ROI out of it. And that's fascinating to me because I think your problem here is there's a lot of bells and whistles that you can become infatuated with in food technology. You think, oh, customers want you know, voice activated AI, customers want this shiny new toy, and you go in that direction. You invest in that technology only to discover, well, it's not really improving my profit margin substantially. It's not really you know, doing anything for me aside from you know, moving this business from here over to here. The customer once was giving their order to a person, now they're giving the order to technology, and it's really not you know, making any extra money or anything like that, or not saving money. So I think there is a little bit of the fatigue in saying, look, we got top heavy with our tech stack. We added all these layers we were told we needed to have We fell for some of these bells and whistles, and we're not making substantially more money.
Speaker 2: So what now?
Speaker 3: And that's the tech fatigue I think we're starting to see. And so technology is not going to go away. They're not going to you know, divest in the technology. But I think as an industry, we all have to take a step back, look at the technology we have that's been developed and find out ways to take out layers of the tech stack to integrate those you know, tech the tech platforms that brands have already invested in, and make it all work to the benefit of the bottom line.
Speaker 2: Because if you don't do that, operators will move on, they'll give up.
Speaker 3: Last thing Paul say is more and more restaurants are saying that hospitality is a differentiator. So it's sort of ironic that in this day and age, where so much technology is available to restaurant companies, they're talking more and more about how the human experience is actually what drives their business or drives their experience. And so I think in twenty twenty five there will be a continued push for more technology to improve the bottom line through efficiencies and through cost savings, but I think you have to find a way to leverage it in such a way that you're not replacing that human experience, that hospitality that can be a differentiator.
Speaker 1: Okay, so there's a couple things to unwrap there. One, yes, I would agree. On the tech side, there's a lot of technology out there that isn't really a product, it's like a feature. And you're right, there's a lot of these ninety nine dollars SaaS products. I talked to a brand that last week. They said they started to go in and try to figure out what was working. This was a small, small brand, and he said because so many of the operators they kind of let their guys run on their own, they ended up turning credit cards off to see what would break because each one of them had so many of these ancillary charges of different products, features, marketing, this all sorts of back office integration stuff that's been out there. So I would agree. I think we're probably going to see either a consolidation or maybe some roll ups in terms of the tech industry, or at least the food service space for twenty five. As far as hospitality, this is something that this is a conundrum to me, because you look at what happened after COVID, you would think that hospitality would have really accelerated, like people were just ready to go back and workers were ready to serve customers and all that. And it feels to me like third party got in the way of hospitality because people, It shifted the dining habits, It definitely shifted the behaviors of consumers, and now I think it's shifted the expectations of operations because we've seen declining sentiment around consumer satisfaction numbers not necessarily coming back for food service operations. So my question would be to this is if you've note if tech is being pared down and AI isn't necessarily ready just yet to pick up some of the slack of hospitality, and you have a workforce that now looks at the restaurant industry. I mean, I think we've done more damage to the industry in the last three to four years than we've done maybe in the last three decades in terms of worker perception of working in the industry, and they don't really want to work here. So how is hospitality going to come back without the aid of tech or at least some sort of big shift in the workforce. What are your thoughts.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean it has to be aided by tech. And I'll give you an example. So Denado's Pizza based here in Columbus where I am. You know, they have invested in automated pizza equipment, automated kitchen equipment that will.
Speaker 2: Sauce and cheese and slice a pizza.
Speaker 3: And I've seen it firsthand here in kitchen and Columbus, and you know it's it's robotics for sure, and it's it's fancy and fun and they're rolling this out to some degree throughout their system. But you know, I spoke with CEO Kevin King recently, and you know, he's very careful to point out, as a lot of restaurant companies are always very careful to point out when they talk about investing in AI. They don't want to say we're not replacing employees. This is not becoming a fully automated, no staff kind of thing. He's saying, it's it's you're again reallocating that labor to the.
Speaker 2: Front of the house.
Speaker 3: And Denado's is you know, it's a QSR pizza joint. You know, you walk in for the most part, people are placing their order on their app or online and.
Speaker 2: They walk in. All they need to do is pick up a pizza.
Speaker 3: But if before you know, somebody is having to rush out of the kitchen to say, what's your order? Oh yeah, here's your pizza, you know that there's that experience. Now, perhaps with more automated equipment in the kitchen, you have a couple of smiling faces at that table and say, let me know your order.
Speaker 2: How's your day going, by the way, while I get that order.
Speaker 3: So the point is is that in picking up a lot of the responsibilities of your kitchen staff, AI gives you the ability to really emphasize the experience, the hospitality, the smiling, friendly employee in a way that I don't think we have before because I think Paul to talk about perception of the industry and working in this industry, of course, it was always the industry of burger flippers, right, and you know, you had this perception that it's the bottom rung and I'm going to stand there flipping burgers for hours just to make a buck, right and by and large, to make minimum wage. And the fact of the matter is that today it's easier than ever to run a restaurant kitchen, right, there are so many of these things in some instances, at some restaurants, the burger flipping itself is robotic. You know, that's not widely available, but that's that's a thing you can have if you want. And so if you replace some of these menial tasks with robotics in AI and instead tell the employee, you know, why don't you come out into the front of house and you know, refill some beverages and smile and say hello to the customers, then you're creating that great experience. And so so again, the tech is complementing your labor and giving your employees, you know, a little bit of an easier job, maybe a more fun job, even so that they can feel like they're empowered to go give great hospitality.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I totally agree that the industry has a bad rap, but it's one that you know, has been kind of earmarked over the last you know, the last decade or so, especially when we lost so much of the industry during the pandemic. But I would agree, I think there are maybe some shifts occurring, especially as you see the transition of the current C suite, because we are starting to see a bit of a transition in terms of demographic that's that's sitting in these C suite jobs, which in my opinion, is probably going to be the gateway to possibly drawing in a different kind of workforce. That to your point, Listen, we've got a lot more different jobs now that completely are much more attuned to maybe doing some other startup work or you know, other industry, fintech, you name it. It might be more fun, and I think that that would be the draw in. I want to stay on topic here on the positive side of things. When you look at consumer trends and then also growth projections for twenty twenty five right now, I know you're looking at a lot of numbers and a lot of data from a lot of the big brands in terms of unit growth, et cetera. If you could sum it up and say, is twenty twenty five a growth here or not a growth here?
Speaker 2: I would have given you a different answer six months ago.
Speaker 3: Right I think that at the end of twenty twenty four there was a lot of optimism for twenty twenty five. We all thought, oh, it's going to be a growth here. Inflation has surely peaked, you know, all signs point to more capital flooding the market, you know, more emerging brands getting that deal they were looking for, you know, more more opportunity, right. You know, I attended the Finance show in Las Vegas the week after the election, and I mean I think you were there to Paul maybe it was very positive, Yeah, very positive they were getting and.
Speaker 1: Nobody was like over the moon. Yeah totally.
Speaker 3: And look, you know not this not a political statement, right or left. I think the the opinion at the time was just a business friendly administration is coming in and is going to improve a business climate for restaurants in all industry, and that is going to be a good thing. The unfortunate reality has actually been that again, there's a lot of volatility. There's a lot of unpredictability with the Trump administration. You know, no matter whatever his endgame is here, the decisions so far have been kind of all over the map.
Speaker 2: And when you know, it creates that volatility.
Speaker 3: I mean, you and I are talking a day after or two days after, you know, the Dow plunged eight hundred some points.
Speaker 1: Well it just took another hit this morning because of the increased tariffs on aluminium steel.
Speaker 3: So yes, yeah, yeah, so you see the direct impact of what's going on just politically in the administration, but also on top of that, you have consumer confidence has plunged. You see, inflation has not in fact peaked, and in fact, you know, there are some indications that maybe it goes back up again. Now we're talking, oh, maybe we're going to go into a recession in twenty twenty five. So you know, the unfortunate reality is that there was a lot of optimism and perhaps that on that optimism was unmerited. And I don't think twenty twenty five is going to be a growth here in the long run, although I will say it depends on what metric you look at growth. Right, we may may see yet some top line growth. Some companies are going to be just fine with top line, but as we've already talked about, you know, the bottom line is probably not going to marketly grow. Unit growth will be pretty stubborn. As you know, capital kind of stays on the sidelines. So it's really hard to say, you know that this will be a growth year unless you're trying to look into some of the minutia of things and say that that might be growth.
Speaker 1: Okay, so I have a maybe a contrarian position on that only because it's possible. And then this again is more it's not I wouldn't call it conspiracy theory level, but you know, it's looking at the market and also the guy who's leading the market, which is Trump, and you consider some of the positions. This is a business guy, that's you know, he understands financing, probably more so than anything other than real estate. And one thing that is happening later this year is the government has nine point two trillion in government debt that's going to be I think it. It's going to need to be refinanced later this year. So if he is constructing I'm not saying that this is happening, but if he is constructing a push on the market enough to get the Fed to lower the federal funds rate, meaning interest rates, and we see interest rates start to decline, which means potentially for businesses and people investing in businesses, Okay, interest is coming down, I can start building again. It's possible we could see an almost about face on this now. Granted we are definitely teetering on the line of going too far, I would agree. I did a poll this morning on x let me see what was the results so far? It is about four hundred votes in there. And I asked the question, I'm looking at the poll right now. Trump's knew fifty. This was on THEA and the Canadian steel and aluminum terraffs, but it was just in general, should he continue to push on terraffs? And right now the audience is split. Right now, it's fifty one point two percent no and forty eight point eight percent yes. So that's that surprised me a little bit. I thought there'd be more of people still pushing no. You know, the US is getting a bad rap, that kind of thing. So maybe Trump will pull back a little bit. And if he does and the FED does lower rates, I mean that's good for franchises. It's good for capital expenditure CAPAX, which always usually means more jobs. The question is is does it mean more revenue into the bottom line. So I'm kind of with you on that is, we may not see the revenue numbers, but we may see growth in terms of building units. Are you seeing any of that right now? Yeah?
Speaker 3: I mean I would say what you just described is absolutely a possibility. Right that is, I think there is a best case scenario here, that leads to interest rates coming down, that leads to more investment in the space, that leads to more willingness to grow one hundred percent.
Speaker 2: I think you're right.
Speaker 3: I think the hard part about this is again some of the unpredictability, but also the fact that you know, so far tariffs are more an idea than they are you know, an actual thing that's hurting our wallet. Right, So I think once tariffs do be you know, come into place and actually impact the market, which could take months, is the big one.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's the date that almost all this stuff goes into effect. So that's most right now it's market allegedly second, and then this might have been an April fool's joke all along.
Speaker 2: Nothing surprises me anymore, Paul, I will say.
Speaker 1: That a trillion off the uh yeah, Like, you.
Speaker 3: Know, look at the end of the day, the consumer is is what what the consumer feels is what goes. And what the consumer is going to potentially feel is strained in their expenses and they're going to feel hit on all sides. I mean, look at the auto industry and if some of these tariffs come down for auto and you know, for the automotive industry and and you know new cars cost is up to twelve thousand dollars more or whatever they were reporting. You know, the fact is on all ends we could feel you know, cost go up, and if that happens, and if consumer sentiment drops, then the administration will respond to that presumably, right, So like it's I think there is a perfect version of what you explained where this could end up being a positive for the economy and it does lead to more investment and growth because of interest rates coming down. But the sad reality is is that you know, you pull one lever and it affects you know, eighteen different things over here, so you run over and pull this other level of effects eighteen different things over here. And it's just almost like a game of whack a mole that it's just really hard to read what it will actually do to the consumer marketplace.
Speaker 1: And I've never seen anything like this. I've never seen anything like this market right now, the way that it's responding to these just these blurts. It seems like from the White House that's coming in. Let's continue on the track because I have two other questions that I want to get to you before we end up here. Sure, a couple of things is around value and loyalty and really kind of this shift toward how And there's two areas. One is on the B two C side, how businesses are getting consumers to create more loyalty to their brands. And then ironically on the B two B side. And this is something that I wanted to show because this was over on your website. I'm not sure who wrote this. Let me was it was it you that wrote this or who was the author of this Katie Kate Finley? Okay, so Kate wrote this article over on Nation Restaurant News and it is called B to B influencer marketing gains gains traction? All right, So this is on the B to B side, which was really got my attention because this is something that we talk about all the time. And it's interesting because I've started to see a reach out mostly from food companies and tech companies to even companies like us that are that are I would say we're more of that B to B influencer because we talked with a lot of brands and so we could easily drop a name. But what do you guys see in terms of the influencer market? Do you feel like this is a thing. Is it a fad? What's going on here? And is it even meant for the restaurant industry?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 3: I wish I could tell you it was a fad, because now that I'm an old man, I don't understand the influencer marketplace nearly as much as my younger counterparts.
Speaker 2: But no, it's not.
Speaker 3: It is is certainly here to stay in some form or fashion. Of course, things change every single day when it comes to social media. Whatever trend or you know, whatever anybody's talking about on social media changes every single day. But the format of certainly video, of the social media apps, the community that you have in your social media app, the format of personal brand, so the influencer as the brand, these are things that are not going away. It's something that even in media we're contemplating. Because for us, I'm sure you are, Paul, like, we're figuring out okay, you know, we media, we transition from print to digital, We transition from digital to you know, sort of the first version of social media, which was just posting on Twitter and Facebook. Yep, this is version two and it is very video driven and as you and I speak here, right, this is a visual video mo.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, this will get club clipped into several shorts and totally that I see the impact obviously, we you know, we're zeroing in on Saver. We've got almost two hundred thousand subs on YouTube. We just clipped on our other network, which is Finance and Tech Crypto, we clipped over one point two million subscribers. And I am amazed every day at the amount of outreach to our company that our brands or businesses asking us to do stuff. You know that our influencer based. So I would agree. I think it's going to stick around. The question to me has always been, you know, where does the line draw? You know, where does that line I get that, you know, sponsorships and you know sports listen, the sports industry has been laden with this forever. You know, Nike signs Lebron, he does a shoe, and you know, I get it. I understand that that's you know, but in the area of the restaurant industry, I'm often wondering if if it truly I just don't know. I'm still I'm still at a quandary with this one.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and it's a couple of things.
Speaker 3: I mean, the first thing I'll say, is that social media really kind of flattens the media world in that everybody is media now, right. So you have your traditional role of take nations restaurant news, for example, as a BDB publication, we have that traditional role of being between the restaurant brand and the restaurant manufacturer.
Speaker 2: And we still are.
Speaker 3: We still happily serve that role, and I you know, I'm optimistic that we will continue for generations to come. But the fact of the matter is is is when we look around us, you know, we of course are not the only game in town. And that is not just other traditional publications that we compete with. It is just people out there who decide I'm going to have a sub stack.
Speaker 2: I'm going to have a lind I'm going to have a.
Speaker 3: Podcast, and you know what, power to them if they find their audience. That's the great thing about social media and multimedia in general is that you can go find the resource that speaks to you in the best possible way that you understand and that informs and educates and enhances what you're doing.
Speaker 2: And that's great.
Speaker 3: So I would never take away from anybody who's building their own little brand as media even if they're outside of a traditional media organization. But but it's also makes up for a lot of noise, and so.
Speaker 1: Yeah, how do you identify the signal from the noise? That's the that's the challenge that I often see is that if you don't, maybe it's going to go like this, Sam, maybe we're going to see a layer of influencers that are high, high quality that could compete, I won't say compete, but could rival or at least get in the same discussion with traditional media outlets. Because I think that's probably happened in the political news arena. I think we're there now. Maybe it will happen in food or retail possibly, But to your point, yeah, how do you discern the just the noise that's in yeahdustry, some.
Speaker 2: Other factors at play here.
Speaker 3: I mean, one thing is I've read studies about burnout among influencers.
Speaker 2: And you know, this is.
Speaker 3: A while ago that I read this, but at the time, this was maybe two years ago. They said that the average influencer burns out after about three years. So there's a problem inherent to this, which is if I'm an influencer and I gain a huge audience and it's my face at the center of that. Well, when I decide it's time to give up that brand is gone, I don't pass it on to the person who is in line for that job. So that is one factor at play that influencers will burn out because the pressure to create is in tense, and especially in this day and age, where you have to kind of say the right thing or you're going to offend somebody, like you're walking a tightrope at all times. So that will burn people out. But the other thing is is that the pendulum is always swinging right. I mean, this is true politically, this is true with a lot of things, which is right now. We're all about the personal brands, the influencers, and at some point the pendulum may swing back to where it's like, you know what I want, not an individual personal brand, I want just you know, a media brand, a reliable source. My loyalty goes to nr N because I've read them for decades, you know. So either way, we have to meet them where they are. We have to meet them on social media where they're looking for video, or we have to meet them in the print publication. We still print every single month, and we have to trust that the audience will find their way depending on how they tend to learn best. But it is that noise that is really hard for us to deal with and the consumer, you know, especially when you're trying to figure out who do I follow, who do I believe?
Speaker 2: It's it's all over the place.
Speaker 1: Well, it's a cycle.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 1: I've been in media since the mid nineties, and I remember when we first started publishing in the mid nineties, we launched a website and at the time, you know, media was still mostly print and it was when in our end was Lebar Friedman. I think at the time it was still Lebar Friedman. And I remember when that was a weekly magazine. Yeah, crazy, right, I imagine that every week it was like the little Bible that would always come in the mail. And you just said, it's a monthly publication. Now it's monthly monthly. Wow, times have changed. But my point being is that, you know, we started off with the web. Nobody thought that even the Internet was going to be a thing. And then I merged our business at the time, which was fast Casual and QSR Web, and we merged over the NetWorld. Things started going more digital. But even then, my partners at NetWorld because at that time it was I think twenty two thousand seven or eight, and I said, guys, we've got to double down on podcasting and video. We just have to do it. We just got to double down on podcasting and video right now. We cut our first podcast in two thousand and seven and it did terrible.
Speaker 2: No no listeners.
Speaker 1: Nobody was listening. We had like five listeners. Yeah, so, and I think they're all our friends.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: But my point is is that maybe that we are entering an era like that, is that we don't know what we don't know yet because who knows what's going to happen with AI. The integration of even media itself is probably going to speed up. Short is already going like crazy. So yeah, I don't know. It's going to be a funky next decade.
Speaker 2: All right.
Speaker 3: When I'll just real quick on that, I'll say that one thing that my my boss, Joe Donnelly, our president, he and I talk about all the time is if we don't if we don't follow this path into video and social media, ten years down the line, we're irrelevant because today's Jenry, you know, audience member, is tomorrow's CEO. And if tomorrow's CEO wants video on TikTok to inform them on the restaurant industry. We have to start that now for sure.
Speaker 1: Hey, listen, we'll be happy to help you.
Speaker 2: I noted.
Speaker 1: Listen, let's hit on the last question here, and this is about third party delivery off premise. You know, catering has grown. We you know, it was a fairly good industry. We saw a little bit of the explosion again during the tougher times of the industry, but third party really made its its statement. It probably is what I still believe it's what saved the restaurant industry because we would have had a lot more casualties had that not been a potential, even though we had a lot of casualties. But here's my question to you. Now, I feel like third party continues to take advantage of the industry in terms of these fees. Do you think we're going to see these fees come down? And do you think they're going to openly start sharing data with the industry without some pressure, because right now, I mean, other than grub hubbling off some people last year and Postmates and Uber still fighting it out to a certain extent, what are your thoughts on third party Do you think it sticks around for a long time or what's your position.
Speaker 3: Well, the answer to your first question is nope. I don't see fees coming down. I don't see the sharing of data. I don't see them sharing data because why would they, Why should they?
Speaker 2: They don't have to.
Speaker 3: They have all the leverage in the world, alizaar, I mean, yeah, look, if you take a step back and look at this, it's amazing because in you know, I agree with you on the fact that if the pandemic had happened in twenty ten, eleven twelve, what would this industry be because it didn't have that in its back pocket. But when it happened was almost like bizarrely perfectly timed that door, Dash and grub have had just come up and they became this great solution. So I agree with you that they really saved the industry in a lot of ways. The problem is is even then we were talking about it as the necessary evil, because it was like, well, what other option do you have?
Speaker 2: This is where the consumer is going. You must be where the consumer is.
Speaker 3: These are marketing platforms as much as anything to get in front of people. And if you're not doing it, you're going to lose out. And you know, for a little bit there in the pandemic, I wondered about, you know, maybe there will be alternatives come up. Maybe there will be I always thought maybe if you could figure out some sort of CoSystem where local business come in together and they invest in delivery drivers or something.
Speaker 2: There's got to be something. It never embers happened.
Speaker 3: And so until the alternative emerges, what you're going to see is third party can continue to consolidate, continue to gain the leverage, and continue to use that as a cudgel in the industry and say, wow, we can keep charging these fees and not share our data because there's literally no other option that you have but to do so.
Speaker 1: It's that the consumer might put some pressure on that, because I mean, pricing right now on a Chipotle bowl through Uber this is out of hand. Guys, come on.
Speaker 3: I agree, well, and I think it changes consumer behavior and you decide to get in your car.
Speaker 2: At least that's what it has been for me.
Speaker 3: I will look at I'll go through the door dash thing, I'll look at what it's going to cost me in fees, and I say, well, it's two miles five minute drive versus ten dollars in fees?
Speaker 2: What do I value more?
Speaker 3: And it depends on my mood or money, and yeah, and I think the consumer, the average consumer is probably similar. I think it was the Domino's earnings call recently where they talked about the fact that they see some indication that the low income consumer is pulling back on delivery in particular. And I think that's where we're going to have to watch very closely. Is I mean the low income consumers is pulling back on restaurants spending in general. But I mean, of course they would pull back on something that comes with layers of fees, like third party delivery.
Speaker 2: So it will be fascinating to see what.
Speaker 3: Happens with that in twenty twenty five, because I think that's the only thing that forces the hand of these third party companies is if consumers just say forget this, this is.
Speaker 2: Not worth it.
Speaker 3: I'm gonna drive the mind and get off my couch. And if that happens, they will be forced to make some sort of change.
Speaker 1: Well, and I think it's been a you know, it's a hard business to make money at these logistics companies. There's a lot of overhead in it, and granted a lot of them are trying to go into more automation. If we do see some sort of robotic, real true autonomy, whether it's in vehicles or in the actual robots themselves that are coming, maybe we get to a commodity product, but it's probably a decade away, you know, before pricing, you know, because the competitive nature I think of AI could get you into a layer of building out a logistics system as elaborate as what Uber and Postmates have you know now in the marketplace. So, man, Sam, this has been a good one. I love chatting with people that really dive deep on this, so it has been great having you on the show today, and thank you so much for stopping in. We appreciate it.
Speaker 2: Thanks for having me, Paull You.
Speaker 1: Bet all right, you guys. As I said, if you're not tuned in to us over on the YouTube channel, if you're watching this you are, make sure and hit the like and subscribe button right now. And of course if you are listening to this over on Spotify or Apple iTunes or iHeartRadio, just give us a like over there, or if you want to jump over here and catch the video version, because we do a lot of sharing, you know, data and video and all that kind of stuff here on the show. Check us out over there just at saber FM. Search that and we'll catch you guys soon. Right here on the restaurant Report,