Speaker 1: Welcome to Local AG. I'm your host, Melody Divers, a member of the Bedford County Economic Development Agricultural Advisory Board. It's time for another episode of Local AG. This is where we aim to bridge the agworld with the non agworld and strengthen community connections. Today's episode is the perfect combination of AG and community. We are here today with our EIDH podcast and we are highlighting the Society of Saint Andrew. This well established nonprofit is all about caring communities and offering kindness and nourishment to our hungry neighbors. Welcome. We're so glad you're here.
Speaker 2: Thank you.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Also, I have a co host today.
Speaker 4: I am here today. Yeah, excited to talk talk about them and talk with them.
Speaker 2: Yes.
Speaker 1: Absolutely. So for those of you that don't know that sweet voice, that is Dorothy McIntyre, and you may know her from being the manager of the forest and mane at a farmer's market, correct direct, Yes, all right, So Dorothy's gonna chime in whenever she wants, and then at the end she's gonna talk all things farmer's market that she's planning. Yeah, getting ready for that. So I will say that we are happy to have Chesley and Ben here with the Saint and the Society of Saint Andrew. And Dorothy was really excited about having y'all on here, like she was so excited that you guys could join us, so thank you. There was a lot of bragging about your organization, so I'm curious to hear firsthand what what all this goodness is about. So we're just gonna jump in and I'm gonna start with you, Chelseley, just introduce yourself in your connection with what you do, and then when she's done, Ben just hop on in.
Speaker 2: Okay, Well, thank you very much, Melody. I'm Chesley and I am currently the church relations director for the last six years at the Society of Saint Andrew, and I love the mission. This year, I've been blessed to move into a new position as the first ever Virginia Regional director. Congratulations sad. Now, now Ben has been our Virginia program coordinator for going on two years now, and so he's all things Virginia. Okay, I'm about to be all things Virginia and I'm just so delighted to be here today to talk about it. Sure, the mission of the Society of Saint Andrew. We bring people together to harvest and share healthy food, to reduce food waste, and to build caring communities. That is our mission. We have a business model that I consider a no brainer. We're a huge network. We use volunteer labor to go out into the fields or orchards, or farmers' markets or packing houses, any number, wherever it's offered, wherever it's it could be going to waste, and we glean. That just means harvest the leftovers after the harvest, after the commercial harvesters have come through. Gleaning is an ancient Biblical practice that they did back in two thousand years ago, Ruth and Naomi.
Speaker 1: That's the first thing I always hear. I think of Ruth one of the best stories in the Bible.
Speaker 2: But back in Bible days, the landowners were encouraged or commanded really to leave a portion of their fields or the edges of their fields for the widows, the orphans, the sojourners. Love to say that word sojourners, travelers, foreigners, And we're still doing that today.
Speaker 1: Wonderful.
Speaker 2: So we we rescue feud. We what could be destined for the landfill or for waste that's not marketable. We go in and we harvest it, and then we turn around and donate it for free to food pantries, feeding agencies, underserved communities. Wonderful. It is a no brainer. Yes, we are doing God's will. It's SOSA and that is what great stewardship. Yeah, yeah, charges charges me up.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I love it all right, Ben? Can you follow that?
Speaker 3: Sure? I can. I think Chesley did did an amazing job of introducing what society sat Andrew does as she. As you mentioned, I'm the Virginia program coordinator, so I worked directly with our our local farmers who choose to participate in our ministry, as well as any gleaning groups or volunteer groups that come out to glean, and then then churches and uh and feeding agencies, food pantries, food banks, churches that have connections with underserved communities and.
Speaker 1: Help get the food to the organizations that can help distribute.
Speaker 3: Yes, or directly to the food pantry themselves.
Speaker 5: Correct.
Speaker 3: And we do this through a number of ways. When I send emails out to people who or talk with people on the phone or in person who've never heard of us before, I say we're kind of like the middleman, like we bridge the gap between you know, farmers or wholesalers or suppliers that have you know, excess produce that is still fit for human consumption and then communities, feeding agencies, food bank et cetera, that have a need of fresh produce, and it would provide improved health outcomes, improved spirits and lift people up in a positive way.
Speaker 1: Right. So you are really and I have put that in my notes about bridging the gap from the people that have what is needed and to the people that need that. So thank you for bridging that gap. I think this is going to be a wonderful interview and people are to use what you said could be charged to do good and participate and get involved. So let's go, and I don't care who answers this question. Let's start with simply the name of your group, which is the Society of Saint Andrew. Can we talk about what that means and where that comes from? Sure?
Speaker 2: Good for me to go?
Speaker 1: Sure?
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, go ahead.
Speaker 2: Well once again, I love it. I come from a church background, and interestingly enough, the Society of Saint Andrew was founded by two United Methodist pastors forty five years ago nineteen seventy nine. I guess we're going on forty six now, aren't we. So two United Methodist pastors had come home from Vietnam and they were wanting to live sustainably off the land, ken Horn and rave U Cannon. Some bed for boys, but not to be confused with the Yeah. They came home and they spoke with their bishop and they said, hey, we want to live sustainably, girl and food and live off the land. Bishop said that's great. I have one salary and one parsonage. And the guy said great. They took their wives and five children between them, and they moved into this one house on Sweet Hollow Road out in Big Island, and they started preaching and preaching. And in nineteen eighty three we had our first potato drop where they had been over on the Eastern Shore, and Butch Nottingham, a farmer over there, said I'll give you potatoes if you get rid of them. They got forty thousand pounds potatoes delivered into the Lynchburg area and they're going, now what, But they they did it, and the truckloads kept coming and the Potato and Produce Project was born. But the name Society of Seen Andrew if you remember back to Bible times, Andrew was the disciple that found the little boy with the two loaves and fish and took it to Jesus, and Jesus blessed it and fed the five thousand. So we are the Society of Saint Andrew, and we go out and we find the small amount, and it's blessed by God, and it feeds the hungry. It feeds an abundance. So the Society of Saint Andrew doesn't operate out of sense of lack, but a sense of abundance. Beautifully said, y'all, we might have church today.
Speaker 3: We're having church.
Speaker 2: I can have church.
Speaker 1: We might have church today, and that's all right, that's all right. Do you have anything to add to that?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean I was going to say, that's an added operating out of abundance, I think is a great way to put it, Chesley, especially going back to that story with with Saint Andrew and the loaves and the fishes, that's an unexpected abundance. And I remember very distinctly when I was being trained back in July or well July or October twenty twenty three, one of the founders was speaking at a church, maybe the eighties or or during that time. During when he's speaking in the church, a farmer stands up. He's angry, he said, and he said, I don't I don't leave any potatoes behind. And the other one was like, I was like, okay, well, you know, yeah, we'll prove that there's extra. And then you know, they went out into the field and they got like tens of thousands of pounds of potatoes that were left that you know that the farmer didn't even know about, you know, but maybe but because we went out and looked for it, there was an unexpected level of abundance. And how many servings is that like sixty thousand servings, so you know, if it's twenty thousand pounds, I mean, this is this is crazy and right and and and seeing that abundance and you know, I never I never grew up in an agricultural environment and don't have any friends that were in agriculture, you know, grew up in Fairfax County. But so so seeing in the field seeing a massive amount of potatoes, massive amount of corn or apples is just like it was. It was my bog. It was mind boggling first, but you know, you see how quickly, how quickly it feeds hungry people, and how quickly it lifts up the spirits right of people.
Speaker 1: Absolutely well said.
Speaker 2: And I'm thinking about what Dorothy said about if you don't know, you don't know earlier. And I didn't grow up in an agricultural world either, and I had no idea until six years ago how much food goes to waste for sure, And Jesus said, you will always have the poor with you, right, And so our poverty level in this country is unbelievable. We're up to almost fifty million now, forty eight million Americans are hungry or food insecure. A third of those or children. We were better than that. And then so to look at the poverty levels and look at how much food goes to waste, one hundred and thirty three billion pounds of food goes to waste. If we can harvest that food and rescue it and redirect it, right, we're helping. We're exactly, we're feeding people that need the food. So to me, it's just it's not a production problem. It is a distribution.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's going to say just getting it from point A to point B. Yeah, I agree with that.
Speaker 2: And that's what SOSA does with the network of Farmers of volunteers.
Speaker 4: Farmers know that if they don't clean every if they don't harvest everything that's on their land, they can still have somebody clean and you'll be able to get something off of it.
Speaker 1: I was looking on your like your website and your Facebook page, and you spoke on this in your introduction. But the mission statement for the Society of Saint Andrew, which I think is so eloquently presented. Your mission is that the mission of Saint Andrew is to bring people together to harvest and share healthy food, reduce food waste, and build caring communities by offering nourishment to hungry neighbors. And I love the word nourishment, the word caring, and I love all of these words because they do give like a virtual hug, companionship. It's not we're giving you junk food, We're giving you spoiled food. I love the word nourishment because, like you said, uplifting, when you give somebody something that is of value, of nourishment that is not just to keep them fed physically, but keep them fed you know, spiritually, mentally, all of those components. And I love just the wording that it didn't come out of obligation. It was very heartfelt, and so I was really drawn to that when I was looking. So, I, you're right, this has been going on for over forty years, close to fifty years that this has been happening. So let listeners know where you are serving. Is this just a Virginia thing? Is it multiple states? Like what does what does this community look like that you're you're sharing with.
Speaker 3: I was gonna say, we're we're in We're in ten or eleven regional offices across ten, you know, in ten different states, mostly in the Deep South, like in Alabama, Mississippi, Georgia, Carolina's.
Speaker 1: I saw where I'm from on there, del Marva, that's where Maryland, Virginia's left start that wanted to make sure my people were doing right and they were office. Yeah, I was really happy to see that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and then and then Ohio and Indiana.
Speaker 2: So Indiana was the next newest office opened in twenty eighteen.
Speaker 1: And it all started here.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, yeah, forty six. Yes, Yeah, that's a whole other conversation. Dorothy, are currently think big excuse me, pardon me. We are working on increasing our endowment and we are expanding. Currently we have a Virginia I mean not Virginia Funny, an Ohio gleaning coordinator right now in Ohio working around the Cincinnati area, and we are expanding and in the process of getting a regional director. So each of the ten offices that have been mentioned in the ten different states, they have two employees. They have a regional director and a program coordinator, and they're usually housed. Our overhead super low, which is another great selling point. And if no one believes us, please come to thirty three eighty three Suite Road and come see our headquarters, our office on a level.
Speaker 5: Roads come out of small places.
Speaker 1: Yes, that's right.
Speaker 3: And as I say, see where we really began. The shed right we're next to that's true. So the house, yeah, Marion's house. But no, our overhead is low. And that's a great thing that we can tell funders. But we're not out there spending you know, money in grandiose But the same goes in our ten regional offices. Most of the time the office is housed in a church, and the church will charge us one hundred and fifty or two hundred dollars a month rent whether we use their internet or not. I think is what that difference is. Sometimes the church donates the space as they're outreached to our community, so our overhead is low. Each office has two main employees, and we probably did across the United States in thirty three of the states. We gleaned last year and distributed to all forty eight states and probably about twenty two pounds roughly twenty one.
Speaker 1: So you're not just servicing where your offices are. It's going yond. Yes, look at y'all just pushing those borders. I love it. Yep.
Speaker 2: I somebody said, are you expanding? Yes, here are expanding because the need is great, and the need is across the United States, right, So what we do in Virginia helps Virginia, but we do help the neighboring counties weekly.
Speaker 1: That is also good to know as well. So the website is in hunger dot org and what I like doing what I just kind of alluded to, is you can click on a tab and see the regional offices. And I love seeing the breakdown of the pounds of food gleaned. I think everything right now is for twenty twenty four. Obviously the amount distributed, the amount of fresh food shared, volunteers events and recipient partners and more so, I think the transparency is very important for someone that's thinking about getting involved. I always advocate transparency anyway, and so like my grandmother said, if you don't have anything to hide, you just tell the same story to everybody. And so I always uh, I always value when when when businesses, organizations so forth are transparent. And also in the website, I saw and you have spoken about this that one in eight Americans struggle with food insecurity. But your organization, like you said earlier, Ben is bridging the gap. So then what does the timeline look like from the time a farm or orchard says, hey, you can glean on our property. So what does the timeline look like from we're gleaning and then the person or the the group gets the food.
Speaker 3: Well, I guess from from the time the farmer makes the offer to us to when we get there. I wish there was one answer on that. H Sometimes it's the day of okay, you know, if it's if it's a local, IF's a local farmer and I happen to be available, then I could say, oh, well do you mind if I show up today? Okay, but it could you know, typically they'll the ones we've been working with, you know, you know, consistently year after year they'll tell us, you know, at least a couple of months in advance or a month, and.
Speaker 1: So you have such like on the schedule, like very established like regulars that that donate.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and we know generally, I mean, of course, of course your weather permitting, right and in climate permitting, you know, we know generally when you know an orchard around here may may choose to donate some of their windfall apples for apples that.
Speaker 2: It would be appropriate to do a shout out to Gross's or.
Speaker 1: John Is there anybody you want to brag Johnson?
Speaker 3: Oh, my gosh, shout out to Danny Johnson, Ronnie Gross, Darren Greer and Ryiner Virginia, Windy Hills Farm, beautiful property.
Speaker 1: And those are your regular Yeah.
Speaker 3: Some of our regular Yes. And then Marker Miller Orchard's and Winchester Virginia.
Speaker 1: Wonderful wonder on.
Speaker 4: That mm when they glean the farmer's market that afternoon, at the end of the market.
Speaker 5: Those produce makes it to the table that night, right.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 2: That makes it so it can happen that.
Speaker 4: That Gate Ministries comes to our market, at the Forest farmers market they will glean and then it'll be at a table that night.
Speaker 1: So just so people that may not understand stand that whole concept, what I'm understanding is if a producer doesn't sell everything at the farmer's market instead of taking it home at a other organization who's connected with Saint Andrew will pick it up.
Speaker 2: St. Andrew's Society is St. Andrew Volunteers, Okay, what.
Speaker 4: It is is society Saint Andrew identifies an organization which at forest is Gate Ministries.
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 4: At the end of the day they go around to the different farmers in it and do you have extra you know, if it's something that's gonna spoil, like tomatoes or lettuce or things like that, they'll they'll glean that, they'll get they'll take the poundage of what they're they're donating and identify which mark, which farmer they've used, and the Gate Ministries goes and distributes to local families that have food insecurities that day. That that afternoon is when they get that the.
Speaker 3: Mouth and as far as I know, Dorothy, they hand the liver it. Yeah, sometimes too individuals. Yeah.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 1: My next question is what are you accepting. Is it all fruits and vegetables? Do you do dairy products, do you do eggs? Do you do meat products? Like? What does that look like?
Speaker 3: Are I mean, I mean generally it's healthy food and fresh produce. I mean, by and large it's fresh produce, because.
Speaker 1: I mean that's what I think I want to thinking. But I didn't know if someone's like I have like, you know, eggs, or I have cheese, Like what what does that look like?
Speaker 5: We have eggs donated.
Speaker 4: There's also a lot of times the organ meats can go with the market, and I have known a few of the meat farmers that will donate that too.
Speaker 2: Okay, to answer that question, yes, it is primarily fresh produce, fruits and vegetables. But yes, we would take eggs, and.
Speaker 1: You would we have in North.
Speaker 2: Carolina we have an egg farmer. No, it's it's it's not bake forest. There's in North Carolina. There's a big egg distribution collection. In del Marva, they've done fish, okayish, yeah, and we've done milk and dairy and other places too, and water, but.
Speaker 3: I think catfish too, right and del mar Yeah, I think big catfish.
Speaker 1: So what I want to talk about next is it is two parts I want and you can split this up or you can chime in. I want to know how can farmers in this area get involved and what does that look like like? What do you need from the AG world? And then I also want you to say what folks that are not in the AG world what can they do to help you? So I want to see both sides of the fence perspective of what y'all what y'all need from everybody.
Speaker 3: Well, I was gonna say to start maybe with the farmers. If you have and this goes out to any farmer in Virginia or any of the areas we work. If you have, if you have extra produce you can't sell the market, you can't you can't sell on your CSA that's still still fit for human consumption, then you give us a call, give me a call.
Speaker 1: And so it doesn't have to be so if if someone thinks, like, we have some grapes and if we couldn't sell them all, we could call you up. Or would we have to have a pre registration that we're in the system where I could just literally say, hey, we're not going to get all these grapes. This year.
Speaker 3: No, there's no registration involved.
Speaker 1: They literally just call you.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you can call me. And as long as you know we would, we may ask for you know, you know, if we know ahead of time, you know, we may ask. If it's largely we ask for pictures sometimes of the truck, and we asked about the you know, you know, maybe the quality of it, but but by and large, yeah, I mean, if you know, if you if you are who you say you are, and you know you have and you have fresh produce to share that's still good to eat, We're not going to ask questions about that.
Speaker 1: And so you're talking about farmers not gardeners, or are gardeners included?
Speaker 3: They can be included, okay, they have extra and we and the wholesalers. Yeah, we worked with Cisco Virginia near Mount Crawford, near Harrisonburg. They they typically have you know, a few palettes of goods every now and then.
Speaker 1: So do you have a minimum like you won't come out like what are the real required like if someone's like, well, I have tomatoes just coming out of my ears this summer.
Speaker 2: Gardeners, Yes, we have a program called share our Surplus, okay, and that is when your backyard gardeners have surplus and they can bring it, they can call us, or they can take it to their church and sell it at their church or make it available to underserved people, Okay. And if they sell it, then you know, the proceeds go to society you've seen Andrew to help feed hungry people.
Speaker 4: One thing to note though, is when they donate, there's a certain I don't know the poundage, but there is a tax credit that goes to the farmer.
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 2: So that's a good point in sative.
Speaker 4: For them to know that, yes, they're doing this donation and it's for the good of the community, but there's also a tax Okay.
Speaker 5: That's all that mon.
Speaker 1: That's a benefit. And before we wiked up, we were talking about the other kind of security if people were concerned about donating, whether from their garden or their farm. And I know we still need to talk about how that nonagg world. I'm just putting a bookmark right there for a second, but we did talk about the Good Samaritan Act that Congress passed in nineteen ninety six, and this is where the donor is protected from any liability concerns and donating. Did you want to speak on that to maybe encourage people like, hey, it's good, we got this under control.
Speaker 2: The Bill Emerson Act what's passed because some growers and farmers donors were concerned about being held liable if you know, now someone yeah, if there would been some illness or sickness. But they passed the Bill Emerson Act that provides protection for the growers.
Speaker 1: The farmers. So we have the text benefit, the tax benefit, and then we have the that's a security like it's good, it's coming from a place of goodness and tens and so forth. So you're protected. So there's really no reason not to protect right.
Speaker 2: Okay, And most most farmers that we talked to they grow their food to feed people, so they don't want it to go to waste. They wanted to go to feed people. So yeah, they're protected and they get a tax benefit. It seems like a perfect no brain.
Speaker 1: So did you have anything else to add before we hop over to the non farmers' efforts in helping. Did you have anything else that you wanted to say, how farmers could get involved or anything, or did you touch on all the key points?
Speaker 3: I say, I think I think collectively we pretty much covered.
Speaker 2: It, right, and I just would say, if a farmer can't get ben called Chesley, Chesley will come out to your farm and help lean too. It's an experience if you've never had it. And we talked about doing God's will, we've had it to go and glean in the morning. And my experience the first time it happened to me, I gleaned up in Covestville peaches and so two hours I spent gleaning through the peaches and then delivered several bushels to an at risk youth community in Lynchburg. And the looks on those people's faces when we walked up with a couple of crates of free peaches.
Speaker 3: You know, it's like a delicacy.
Speaker 2: But the looks on their faces and the feeling that it gives you you're doing God's will, I mean, and there's no better place to be or no better feelings. So I can preach it.
Speaker 1: Say it.
Speaker 2: I can preach it.
Speaker 1: Sorry it, it needs to be said. Say it.
Speaker 2: But if you've not had the experience of gleaning in Johnson's orchard and you're picking those apples off the tree and then you load them up in your car and you go deliver them to somebody who needs them.
Speaker 1: It's incredible gratifying.
Speaker 3: Yes, and sometimes off the ground too, like right next to the tree we do windfall apples.
Speaker 1: Yeah, because I know with ag regulations, if it hits the ground, you can't sell it.
Speaker 2: We have to tag it to that it must be cooked before.
Speaker 3: And separated from that which came from the tree.
Speaker 1: Right. No, see, I mean it sounds like you have everything noted per requirements and it seems like you're this is not willy nilly.
Speaker 2: And all of our employees and some of our volunteers are trained in food safety training. We've been with Virginia Tech and we have food safety training that teaches our volunteers and our staff right from wrong right if you will, and what the regulations. Yeah, this is very mind safety.
Speaker 1: I think you know not to mention forty six you know going on forty seven years that you've been doing this, and then how you have everything already marked out and thought out, not just from the recipients but for your volunteers. I think this is just a very mindful nonprofit that you really have thought of everything in safety and in heart heartfelt generosity. So folks that do not have a farm or a garden. What do you want from them? How can they help you? What can what can they do to support you?
Speaker 3: I think at the most at the most fundamental level, I would say becoming more aware of food and security and hunger in our country, not just in our country, but you know, more more.
Speaker 1: Locally, like right in our backyard.
Speaker 3: Yeah, literally, I mean, you know, hunger. I think an important thing to keep in mind and something that I'm always reminded of while in this job at Society Saint Andrew is that hunger does not look like one thing, just one thing. I mean, it's you know, it can look like very many different things in different communities, and and thus there is not one If if it was one organization or one person that could that could bridge the gap, then we wouldn't be sitting here talking about this right now. I mean, you know, it's a collaborative effort across.
Speaker 2: Yes, everybody, Yes, And we partner with so many as we partner with the farmers, with the volunteers, with organizations, with churches, with individuals. It's partnership and a network that spans across the United States. It's incredible and across Virginia and we're strengthening that I have to say too. We were talking about we're strategic. You were talking about, you know, our nonprofit, we're strategic, and we're strategic and looking. We partner with Feeding America Tackle Hunger and USDA. We go on their sites. Feeding America for instance, has a map the Meal Gap, and you can go on there by state, click on it and it'll give you a map of your state and it'll show you where the highest rates of poverty are in your And you're saying, yeah, that's really cool. And so we're currently putting together our map. We've done one for Georgia. We're doing one for Virginia because I'm eating it up. We take that map and show where the poverty is, and then we put an overlay of where we're working in Virginia where we have an area gleaning coordinators and Tidewater, Winchester, Charlottesville, we have one in Roanoke now in southwest Virginia, and we put where we have providers, and then we're making sure that we're taking the food from the providers and zeroing in on that highest need area or if that area is not getting food, we're getting it there. So I'm like really excited and.
Speaker 1: I feel we're strategic. Yeah. Oh, I feel like this has been a really great podcast and I really hope people hear what has been spoken and want to get involved, which leads me to one of our last questions, how can people connect with you? And do you have anything coming up with a fundraiser or anything on the calendar that that you just need to talk about before we end this part of our podcast.
Speaker 2: We have lots We're not done yet.
Speaker 3: Well, you know, you can visit our website and hunger dot Org has contact info for all of our different regional offices and in our nationwide kind.
Speaker 2: Of eight number if you need to call us.
Speaker 3: Yeah, okay, you know you can stop by our office and three at thirty three eighty three Sweet Hall Road, Big Island.
Speaker 2: And uh, I don't think it's a stop buy situation. I think it's a field trip. Yeah, you take a day trip to come out to the country.
Speaker 3: But yeah, And and for our volunteer sign up system, we're on mobilized, So you can visit mobilized dot us, slash and hunger and you'll and you can find opportunities in your area to volunteer and glean.
Speaker 2: You can also click on volunteer on our website, right, Yeah, you should be able to.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so that's there too, And we'll be sure to put your website and all that information when we have the podcast that's posted, we'll put that information to just really trying to connect, connect everybody that needs to be connected. So anything else you need to say before we go to announcements. This has been a eye opening interview.
Speaker 3: Are in oh you can go? Or where I can? In May, we're going to have two events coming up, going to have a nur May third slash fourth. More details to come, but I want to say it out loud. It's it's a Lunchburg, Virginia, a potato distribution. Uh and then one and and I think the town limits of Bedford coming up.
Speaker 2: You're not being specific, Ben, She's going to get on here.
Speaker 1: Y'all work this out. Do you say whatever you need to say?
Speaker 2: That was that contentious?
Speaker 5: We're not contentious.
Speaker 2: I'm just going to spill the fiends. After this meeting, we're going to go over to Bedford Elementary School and we're excited to promote and say and announce we are having a potato drop or a crop drop, which is going to be about twenty five thousand pounds of potato squash. That will be this summer that May third, on the Saturday, May third. It's going to be in the Bedford Elementary School parking lot. We'll have volunteers from all over Bedford. We're partnering with obviously the Bedford Elementary School in the Bedford Police Department.
Speaker 3: Yes, okay, that's.
Speaker 1: The part that the question.
Speaker 2: But I think we are and anyway we are. We are partnering with Bedford Elementary.
Speaker 3: Say, we've been in contact with them, Yes, with this.
Speaker 2: Event, and it's going to be a big event. Will give away twenty five pounds of fresh, healthy food and we're going to pack it up that day and distribute it.
Speaker 1: I think, and that'll be on your Facebook page.
Speaker 3: Yes, yeah, we'll announce it Facebook such as SOSA VA Glean and then our Instagram which is Sosa underscore VA Underscore Gleen. Someone had already took that. I don't know how.
Speaker 1: It's s O s A.
Speaker 3: VA and then the word Glean, ok. And then it's the same and it's the same for Instagram, except there's an underscore between SOSA and Virginia and then Virginia and glean okay, and for and for farmers markets and farmers and in general. I think the Farmers Market UH Bureau of Virginia posted on their Instagram page our new.
Speaker 4: Yeah, our work with Kim Hutchinson probably.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Kim Hutcheson and then and then Virginia Tech Sarah Grant for the for for for for gle gleaning safety training. So you like food safety training.
Speaker 1: I love all this well. I feel like there this could be an even longer conversation, but I think.
Speaker 2: We have.
Speaker 1: Really got people excited and interested and hopefully invested and being a part of bridging the gap and getting the food where it needs to be. So I want to thank you both for being here with the plethora of information and excitement and being part of this. So thank you for that. We're now going to turn to our ag announcements. Before we do that, I would just want to share that we would like to continue to grow our social media presence, so please like, follow, and share our Bedford County, Virginia Agriculture Facebook page. We want to reach as many folks as possible, And just so you know that today's episode will be posted on our Facebook page with a link provided, so then you can can share from this podcast and our social media presence as well. But anyway, as you know, we had a co host today, Ms. Darthy was here and so I'm gonna let her share all things that deal with Forest Farmer's Market and Anita's Farmer's Market and then we'll talk about some other announcements. But I just want her to get to expand on those two things.
Speaker 5: Thank you so much.
Speaker 4: So yeah, So Forest Farmers Market has one more winter market. It's April twelfth, nine to noon. It's starting to look pretty pretty full. A lot of guest vendors, a lot of interest in the market right now, both ag and artisan related. So that's pretty pretty interesting. We open up our main season April twenty sixth. We changed times from eight to noon and that should be a full season, starting to see the produce come back in.
Speaker 5: Right. We had that deep freeze what six weeks.
Speaker 4: Ago and a lot of the hardy greens just did couldn't make it through that, right, So we'll get to see the fresh greens coming in in April, and Menita Market will start the first Wednesday in May. That's from three to six on Wednesdays. I didn't mention forest is.
Speaker 1: On Saturdays and tell us the location of the.
Speaker 4: Location of the forest is fifteen five eighty three Forest Road. It's behind the Forest Library and Menita. I don't remember the address, but it is next to the Menita.
Speaker 5: Smith Mountain Lake Library.
Speaker 1: Excellent. So we partner with the libraries for that and Menita starts back what.
Speaker 4: The Menita will start back the first Wednesday in May three.
Speaker 1: To six, that's wednes Wednesdays.
Speaker 4: And I'm still looking for some vegetable farmers for that one. There will be a general meeting April tenth at the Smith Mountain Lake Menita Library from six to seven. That's a Wednesday for people that are interested and it's interested in coming and vending at the market.
Speaker 1: At the Menita Market, yes, okay, and so if they need so, do you have all your spots full for forests. In regards to vendors.
Speaker 4: Year, I entertained stuff that I don't have from oh venders that I don't already carry.
Speaker 1: Is there a particular genre that you're looking for that I.
Speaker 5: Would love to see cheese, but.
Speaker 4: That's not in our area, okay.
Speaker 1: So if anybody is an artisan cheesemaker, please connect with litter in the Bedfruit Area.
Speaker 4: Okay, Menita, I will entertain anybody at this.
Speaker 1: Point because it's growing, it's coming.
Speaker 4: It's only it's third year, so it's still in its early stages, so I would entertain pretty much.
Speaker 1: And Forest has been going on for how many years?
Speaker 5: Actually, this is the fifteenth year. We're going to celebrate the.
Speaker 1: Hi Happy birthday. Yeah, I didn't see that coming book excellent. So in comparison, Menita is the baby. It is, and so it's still getting established and creating it it's.
Speaker 5: Wrong base, Yeah, needs a little bit of growth.
Speaker 4: It really has a nice strong base both in customers and and vendors and board of the community wonderful.
Speaker 1: And I have reached out to Montvale to see information about their upcoming market, so hopefully next month on the podcast, I can share something about the Montvale Market. The Bedford Farmers Market. You can stay up to date on their Facebook page. I believe they have one. They have the fifteenth this week nine to one, and they're located at West Washington Street at the Farmers Market Pavilion. So just follow their Facebook page and stay tuned for what they're offering as well as hopefully Montvale Farmer's Market will have some information to share with us, and then swinging into some other agritourism items. Layman Family Farms located at eighteen fifteen Mountain View Church Road. It's off of four sixty. They say it's Blue Ridge. I consider it Montvale, but anyway, they are hosting a stunning new festival starting the weekend of March the twenty ninth. That's the Virginia Flower Fest and they will have to quote them a sea of over fifty thousand blooming tulups. So I think that that's going to be a beautiful scene to witness. All the details and ticket pricing are available on their website, which is laymanfamilyfarm dot com. It's sure to be going to be a new local favorite. I just know it is. It's going to beautiful and stunning, and I don't believe there's anything like that with tulips in our area. Now. Gross's Orchard is hosting something that is obviously a local favorite that's been going on for several years. On April the twelfth, they will be hosting their yearly Apple Blossom Festival. There will be food, wagon rides, music vendors, and obviously a beautiful spot to enjoy the apple blossoms. Information is available on their Facebook page and they are also doing like a hands on class this coming Saturday. Darthy, did you want to talk about what you saw on Facebook about their class that they're offering.
Speaker 4: Sure, there's a gentleman in our area in Bedford County that's Matt Fortune and he has Fortune Farm. I believe it's called He will be at Grocer's Orchard.
Speaker 5: Grocer's Orchard would be hosting it.
Speaker 4: They will be doing a grafting workshop for apples. They'll be doing hands on They'll have the the sion wood and you'll be able to graft off of some of Grocer's Orchard's apples which they take just a twig off and you kind of marry them together and they grow and it becomes a strong apple tree.
Speaker 1: I believe that is who worked with Johnny when we were doing some of that. He was a very insightful and knowledgeable person.
Speaker 5: That's ten to noon, I believe.
Speaker 1: Check their Facebook page and also this is not agg related, but this is definitely heartfelt and genuine. Be sure to follow and support all things Media Squatch. We are so grateful to partner with Woody and his team here at Media squatch. We had this idea about a podcast. What he said, Yes, we can make that happen. So please just be a good human and like, follow, share all things that deal with media squatch. All right. Lastly, if you want to attend one of our ag Board meetings, you are more than welcome. Ag Board meeting times and minutes are always available online under the Agboard tab on the Economic Development website. You're welcome to come and see what our board is up to at our monthly meetings. We value your input and hope to see you there. This is Melody Divers reminding you to be good to yourself and be good to others.