Speaker 1: It's night Sime with Dan Ray. I'm telling you easy, Boston.
Speaker 2: All right, we are continuing our conversation, and again I hope more of you will participate in this conversation. We're talking about the Trump administration's battle with Harvard University, and the Trump administration has made it clear that it not only wants to withhold couple of billion dollars, a couple of hundred million dollars for start for starters, and then potentially nine billion dollars many of that research money, but beyond that, they're saying that Harvard has to comply with these demands. And I've quoted them for you, and I am prepared to quote them again. I think the the demands are huge overreach, and I think think that they are so much of an overreach that Harvard's not going to be able to comply because if they did comply, they would they would basically abandon a lot of principles. And I just think that the Trump administration is trying to start so many battles on so many fronts, and I think they're overextended, and it's almost like in a military action, in my opinion, that you have to keep your front lines together, and you move slowly, or you move as quickly as you can, but you don't move too quickly so that your lines are breached. And I think what is going on here is that there are so many fights that the administration either has decided to join. I think they have done a good job on the border. I think everyone, even probably many of his fiercest critics, would say, Okay, that's not bad. The border was wide open. But to go after these students, I want to know what the evidence is. If you're going to pick someone up off the streets of Somerville, show me some evidence. If you're gonna the guy in Columbia, there's there was a lot more evidence against him. I think he's I don't think he's going to be around here a long time. He was one of the organizers of those demonstrators at those demonstrations at Columbia which blocked pastors of Jewish students. They they they they occupied buildings on the campus. That's a whole different story. That's a whole different story than someone who wrote an op ed in the tough student newspapers. So my question is really simple. I think that the Trump administration is spending a lot of political capital, and if you overspend your political capital, it's a huge mistake. Now, I know he wants to get things done before the midterm elections, but the midterm elections are still at this point, more than a year and a half away. Let's go to calls. The only lines open right now is six, one, seven, two, five, four, ten thirty. Let me go next to Mike and Beverly. Mike, I appreciate your patience, your health through the news. Go right ahead, Mike, welcome.
Speaker 3: Hey, Dan, can you hear me?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Here you find Mike. Thanks for your patience.
Speaker 3: So I find it comical, Dan, how do you get real estate development out of a Hogvard situation? Is beyond me?
Speaker 4: How does that come and do it?
Speaker 2: I don't understand the question. How are we going to get real estate development?
Speaker 5: You?
Speaker 3: I heard you a little while ago talking about something about Trump talking about real estate about the Hogvard situation, and then I don't understand how you trying to get a Oh no.
Speaker 2: The analogy, Yeah, okay, I got your question. Now. The analogy that I was drawing is that that and Harvey Silverglade has dealt with Donald Trump in some negotiations in New York so he has more experienced at this than I do. But it is my observation that when Donald Trump talks about the art of the deal, a lot of the art of the deal is asking for three times as much as you ever expect to get and then settling for half of that. But it's one thing to be in a real estate transaction in New York which is not going to generate a lot of public comment. And that was the analogy I was trying to make that he was a successful real estate guy by because he often, you know, over asked, oversought, overreached on these deals and he didn't get everything, but he got a lot of what he asked for. This is a different situation. He's asking Harvard too. He's asking Harvard to basically to to turn their academic institution, their independent academic institution, into something which is in effect going to be run by the government. Now, you might like it right now because the guy who's in parte in charge of the government agrees with Mike from Beverly. But what do you do if Bernie Sanders is elected four years from now, or better yet, AOC is elected four years from now, and then she's gonna her administration is gonna run Harvard. Is that a good thing?
Speaker 6: No?
Speaker 3: All the has to do with the situation in the anti simmatism and the divers exors inclusion in Harvard. I mean, are you okay with people burn American flags and promo Hamas on coust candidate because I'm not.
Speaker 2: No, I agree, I'm going to agree with you, okay. However, However, there's a difference between someone burning an American flag in the middle of a quad and saying, I hope you know I love Hamas, particularly if it's a citizen. Now, okay, If if there's a US citizen, as much as you and I might agree with that, that is a free speech issue. If that same US citizen, after they burned the American flag, decided to take over a building and keep students from leaving the building or prevent students from nentoring the building, that's a very different set of circumstances.
Speaker 3: That's the whole point they're doing. Most of the people that do Hamas what are our citizens. They're college people from other countries. And it's a proven fact that Hamas is promoting the money between their whole situation, it has been proven that all that sort of stuff. Is the money funding to Hamas, Because the people that do all that sort of stuff to help the college kids are funding to HAMAS. So there's a boom back there, just free and knowledge.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, let me just say this, I haven't seen that evidence. I certainly am looking forward to see that evidence. But the question that we're focused on is the actions of the individuals who we are thinking of deporting. And if there is someone in this country who is actively supporting HAMAS, I'm ready to I'm ready to throw them out.
Speaker 7: You know.
Speaker 2: We'll give them due process, we'll give them a hearing, but we throw them out. In terms of the gang members, I'm more than happy to give the gang members sort of cumulative due process. Decide that that Trente Daragora is a terrorist organization and that people who we know are members of that organization in this country out of here, out of here, and we can do that in one hearing in an immigration court if we have to, and just go right through it. Okay. So yeah, I'm in agreement with a lot of what you're saying, Mike. Whether you realize it or not.
Speaker 3: Well, I just don't hear it. Like it's not free speech. Some people aren't always reach meaning it's not free speech if you if you're you know, harassing Jewish students all this sort of stuff.
Speaker 2: Agree with you, I agree with you. I agree with you.
Speaker 3: People want to speech and it's not I agree with you, Mike.
Speaker 2: I agree with you. And I made that point last hour with some of the callers, and I made that point with Harvey silver Glade, and Harvey silver Glade I think agreed with me. There is a difference between burning an American flag in the middle of the quad, you know, in the middle of the area, or then going in and holding, kidnapping people, keeping them in a building, or preventing them from getting into classes. We're in much more agree with Mike, I think than you realize.
Speaker 3: I left guy from him with them a lot ago, and you know, like you know, free speech. And let's see, I don't understand the guy writ in recollection about the whole situation. I mean, quickly, I know you got to go, but quickly. The tough lady is a lady that went to that country when the terrorist guy got killed, and she was promoting.
Speaker 2: That no no no, no, no, no no no, that was that. That is the the doctor the the faculty member from Brown who went to the funeral. So yeah, again, I'm not going to straighten everything out for you, Mike, but I'm just gonna tell you think we're in more agreement than you realize. I got to run, Mike, because we've been seven minutes and I got back lines. Thank you. Let's keep rolling here on Nightside. We got a very quick break. I'll be right back. I got Bernie coming up, I got Greg, Matt, Tina jump on board. Folks, feel free to fill these lines up. We only got one line right now, six one on night Side.
Speaker 1: It's Night Side with Boston's news Radio.
Speaker 2: Let's keep rolling here. Bernie next on Nice.
Speaker 8: I go ahead, Bernie, Hey Dan, how are we doing tonight?
Speaker 2: I think I'm doing okay. You tell me, go ahead, You're doing well.
Speaker 6: And thank you for them.
Speaker 8: Guess they were a really good guests.
Speaker 9: I mean, thank you if they they're critical of Hobbin on the points that they should be critical, but they don't they stand on principle or try with the academic quality, you know, freedom and just stands up the Trump because, as you well know, I was a Trump voter.
Speaker 8: I agree with some of the stuff that he's doing, and and you know, like he's, like you said, I understand the oddo of the dal he sets. He sets a hard line because it's easy, you know, it's back off of a high line than to uh set a narrow line and then try and move forward.
Speaker 7: And that's what I just.
Speaker 2: I just think that some of the things that he's asking Harvard to do, Harvard would be out of their mind. I mean, essentially, he's asking Harvard to surrender the control and the running of the university to federal monitors. I mean, I I don't see how Harvard could possibly agree to any of that. There are some things that I'd like to see Harvard do. He has what the prevent to prevent admitting students hostile to the American values and institutions inscribed in the US Constitution and Declaration of Independence. That's pretty vague. I mean, there are people who say, I believe in the Constitution, I believe the Declaration of Independence, who probably vote for things and candidates that Donald Trump were to pose. I just think it's arbitrary, vague, and capricious. And he's asking Harvard to basically say, open your doors, open your books, let us run your callege let us run your university. How could Harvard agree to that?
Speaker 8: And absolutely? And you know what makes this country great is our ability to have different political points of view. Dad, I don't have to necessarily agree with everything that you say, but if I listen to you, maybe I can get some information from that. What Trump he seems to If you don't agree with his point of view, it's like off with your head.
Speaker 10: And I'm a Trump you know.
Speaker 8: I vote to put Trump. I agree with a lot of stuff. I think he's good for a country, but he just doesn't want to participate in open dialogue. And that's what makes this country great. I don't have to agree with Bernie Sanders, but you know what, I respect Bernie Sanders because he believes in what he believes and some of the stuff he says it's true.
Speaker 2: Yeah, no, I hear you. I am not a Bernie Sanders fan. I'm not an Elizabeth Warren fan. I actually think that Bernie Sanders actually does have a set of core beliefs. I'm not sure that Elizabeth Warren has any set of core beliefs other than what can I say that will get me elected? That's I think her campaign motto and her slogan. But trum Trump is acting like a bullet and china shop and he's talking about his landslide and his mandate. He doesn't have a he didn't get a landslide. He didn't get a mandate. And if he's functioning under that belief, he's good. Want to lose a lot of the people who supported him and maybe supported him reluctantly, and at that point it's going to be very difficult to get those people to come back to him.
Speaker 8: Well, I would just like to say one more things than and hire Poard Habard for their stan I don't agree with everything you know what, Like you said, I don't we give people political or work bisus to come to this country. They're not actual citizens, they haven't agreed to be citizens. So entitled to the point of view absolutely, and entitled to voice to the point of view to a point years until it becomes obstructive and against the principles of this country.
Speaker 2: I'm with you, Bernie. It's always thank you, my friend. We'll talk soon.
Speaker 7: Thank you.
Speaker 8: Have a good night, Dan, Thank you sir.
Speaker 2: All right, we'll catching up a little bit here. Let me go to Tina in Moonsak and Rhode Island, Tina, you were next on Nightside.
Speaker 11: Welcome, Yes, yes, Hi Dan, I am for Havid A Hi Dan, I am for Havid.
Speaker 12: One hundred percent.
Speaker 11: I listened yesterday when Jeff when Waltham was on, and I can understand the argument about they have an endowment and their tax and THEMS and all this money goes to Harvid. And then when I was listening to Hobby Silvergraade, he says, I don't care if they took all that money and dumped it down the toilet.
Speaker 12: I mean, I just believe in the institutions of higher learning. Let's be educated, let the professors, let the teachers be the ones who determine Habvid's future, not Donald Trump. And I think you know, if I had a chance to do it over I wouldn't have gone into a one year practical nurse program. If I would have to do my life over again, I would have taken political science and I would have gone to a four year college, maybe a university. So I'm all for Harvid.
Speaker 2: Or you're listening to political science conversations on Night Side most every night, you're going to get a degree. You're going to get a degree in political science. From Nightside.
Speaker 12: That's right, So why I'm favar all the way.
Speaker 2: All right, Thanks Tina. Always great to hear your voice. Thank you so much.
Speaker 6: You're welcome.
Speaker 2: Have a great night at night. Let me keep rolling here, gonna go to Matt and Franklin. Matt, you were next on Nightsigger right here, Matt.
Speaker 13: Yeah.
Speaker 6: What I was gonna say is, I think the whole issue with this thing is that Trump's coming from like an ideologue where it's like, winn or lose. My my base will be happy that I'm challenging Harvard and then Maine for the transgender thing. And it's like, you're probably gonna lose at least one of those, if not both. It's gonna cost a fortune. It's gonna hurt Harvard in Massachusetts and Maine in their case. And it's like and it's like all for what. It's like, you're coming out, I'm gonna help, I'm gonna go after the Palestidians. And then it's like you're gonna get probably Jewish groups to challenge Trump in the name of the Palaestindians. So it's like a whole and then you gonna end up losing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you you hit a lot of points. I think he has overplayed his hand with Harvard. I think he's going to be able to prevail against Governor Mills in Maine, she said. I believe, she said, and I'll always be happy to be corrected that of all the students who are playing high school sports in Maine, there are only two transgender students.
Speaker 7: Yeah.
Speaker 6: It's like, well, that's all. That's the other thing. It's like between Harvard and Maine. It's like, this is really the hill We're going to die on the challenge Donald Trump, It's like.
Speaker 2: Well, I think by like, well, no, I think I think that on the transgender school issue, when you talk when you introduced Title nine and women the right to play in sports, and look at Seth Moulton, who's a Democratic congressman from Massachusetts, talked about he was concerned if his daughters were of age to play high school sports that they would be compete against a biological male, a transgender male who's in the process of becoming female. I don't think that's a winning issue for Governor Mills in Maine. Fact, and so I think that he wins politically on that issue, and he also his base is with him on an issue he loses, in my opinion, legally to Harvard, and his base stays with him. But a lot of people who voted for him and weren't necessarily committed to him as a member of the base, he'll lose them on that issue. So each issue kind of a little different.
Speaker 6: Won most of New States by like a half a percentage point or a percentage of a half.
Speaker 7: And it's like he's.
Speaker 6: Tanken the economy in the name of the image of Donald Trump and his advisors, and it's like he's just going all over the place like, yeah, he's doing some great things. But like Harvey said, like a clock's right twice a brekeon clocks.
Speaker 2: Well, I don't, and again we might, we might disagree in this. I'm not happy with how he has handled the tariff thing, to be really honest with you, Okay, However, I understand what he's trying to do. He believes that we need to bring manufacturing back to this country, and part of his base are blue collar workers who traditionally used to vote Democratic but have found an ally in Donald Trump. He's basically doing what that part of his coalition will celebrate. I'm hoping he's right on that, and I'm hoping we can get more manufacturers.
Speaker 6: It's like Harvard isn't going to lay off the professors. They're going to lay off the blue collar workers at Harvard before they lay off the professor. So it's like he's hurting his base on the process as well.
Speaker 7: Well.
Speaker 2: But I'll tell you, the United Auto Workers or the Teamsters union have a lot more voters than the blue collar Yeah. Yeah, so, I mean I think, you know, they look at it, you know, how what does this do? What does that do? But it's complicated. But at the same time, I think that every time he loses in court, it hurts him. Now he's one sum in court, he's one sum in court.
Speaker 6: But it's also early in the process, for early three months into his administration, all over the course.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah, so, I mean, if he's going to gamble, this is the time to gamble. Now, maybe he gambles and he loses everything, and uh, eighteen months from now the Democrats come back and and pull bring back Senate seats, take control of both the House and the Senate. We will see. It's all it's high political stakes. Let's put it like that. Hey, Matt, thank you much. For your call. I really appreciate your loyalty to the program. Talk soon, all right, good night, all right. The only line is six one seven thirty six one seven two five four T. And those of you who are hesitant to call twice during the week, remember tomorrow night you get a hall pass for the twentieth hour. Think tomorrow night we might do a grinder gears. I'm not exactly sure for certain, but don't be surprised. Last week we did brushes with celebrity. We might come back to a couple of our standards grind your gears tomorrow night. Rob and I will talk about that. We'll figure that out.
Speaker 1: Tomorrow.
Speaker 2: We'll be back on Nightside and wrap up this program. We got lots of calls lines of full right now, which is the way I like it. Let's keep rolling. We'll be back on Nightside after.
Speaker 1: This Night Side with Dan Ray tell you Boston's News Radio.
Speaker 14: The twenty twenty five Shriner's Circus is back. Hey, it's Lori Brandy. I'll be the celebrity ringmaster for the Shriners Circus on Saturday, April twenty six at ten am.
Speaker 2: Get your tickets for.
Speaker 14: That performance or one of the other eight shows during April School Vacation Week at Shriners Circus dot com. The Circus will be at Shriner's Auditorium in Wilmington from April twenty twenty fourth to the twenty seventh. Tickets are only twenty dollars and parking is free. Purchase tickets today at Shriner's Circus dot com at shriner Circus dot com.
Speaker 15: We're definitely going to be late to the concert. I feel like we should be there by now. I'm just taking a little detour. I gotta fill up my gas tank and I know this place a couple times over where the gas is cheaper. Are you serious We're gonna be late for the concert because you're driving out of the way for cheaper gas.
Speaker 1: Just use Upside What's upside.
Speaker 15: Upside is the free cash back app that gets you real cash back for every gallon of gas you buy. Wait, I can get cash back just for buying the gas I need anyway. Yes, I use it all the time and I've made around two hundred dollars. Now pull over so you can download the Upside app before we miss the concert.
Speaker 5: Download the free Upside app now to earn cash back every time you buy gas, use promo code oil twenty five to get an extra twenty five cents per gallon on your first tank. You can cash out any time, write your bank, PayPal, or as a gift card. For Amazon and other brands, just download the free Upside app and use promo code oil twenty five for twenty five cents per gallon bonus on your first take. That's code oil twenty five for twenty five cents per gallon bonus. That's code Oil twenty five.
Speaker 16: So you want to buy a house, you could go online, do your research, find the dream listing, go see it and get catfished back to the drawing board. More scheduling, more viewings, more, this doesn't even look like the photos. You could finally find one that does match the photos. Then comes the offer stress rash, yep, make that three. And here's the paperwork. Yep, never ending paperwork. It's a lot, but you don't have to do it alone because there's an agent who's a realtor here to guide and help protect you as you find the home that's right for you. Realtors are members of the National Association of Real Tours.
Speaker 2: Right by you.
Speaker 17: Good morning, doctor, doctor, Hi doctor doctor, doctor Jackson's practice is growing.
Speaker 2: What do you mean we're still shortstop?
Speaker 17: He needs a good patient doctor.
Speaker 2: How do we not have enough doctors to doctor all these patients?
Speaker 17: And he doesn't have the patience to sit through hundreds of resumes?
Speaker 2: I need Indeed, Indeed you do.
Speaker 17: When you sponsor a job on Indeed, it's easier for talented candidates to find it, which makes it easier for you to hire them. Visit indeed dot com, slash credit and get seventy five dollars towards your first sponsored job. Terms and conditions apply.
Speaker 2: All about the presepts.
Speaker 15: That is the best new features like a car radio right on the app.
Speaker 17: There's a list of what's trending.
Speaker 1: There's all the podcasts.
Speaker 7: I love it.
Speaker 16: Get in on what everyone's talking about, and get the new and improved free iHeartRadio out today.
Speaker 2: Imheartradio.
Speaker 18: You're listening to WBZ ten thirty one oh seven point nine HD two available everywhere with the iHeartRadio app, now number one for podcasting and on hundreds of devices like Alexa, Google Home, Xbox, and soos. WBZ Boston's news radio and iHeartRadio station.
Speaker 19: I'm Dan Watkins with a quick check of the stories trending on WBZ news Radio ten thirty Boston police and officer fired a gun at a vicious dog Thursday Morning, You're the Marathon finish line after the animal tried to attack an all officer. A taser was used to eventually control the dog.
Speaker 20: Hundreds rally at Harvard.
Speaker 19: Supporting the institution as it refuses to comply with demands from the Trump Administration for information on international students. Massachusetts is going all out to celebrate the two hundred and fiftieth anniversary of the start of America's Fight for independence. Of ubz's Jay Willette Lexington kicks things off with a reenactment of Paul Revere's midnight ride, alerting the colonies that the British were coming.
Speaker 20: Then, at daybreak, actors playing Redcoats and Patriots fire off the shot heard round the world, the first gunfire of the war, though it's still not known who pulled the trigger. Later, soldiers march at dawn through Conquord's North Bridge. The weekend finishes off with the reenactment of the Battle of Anonymy in Arlington.
Speaker 19: Dan Watkins.
Speaker 1: It's Night Side with Dan Ray on Boston's news radio.
Speaker 2: All right, let's keep rolling here. I'm gonna get try to get everybody in. I promised Craig Greg and Ontario. Hey Greg, welcome back.
Speaker 13: He thanks then, good to talk to you again. I didn't get yeah, thank you.
Speaker 5: I was.
Speaker 13: I didn't get the whole program tonight, but I kind of got the gist of, uh talking about people who stirred up in your country? Should they be deported? You know, the freedom of speech? And I just I look, I just look around, Uh, how things have gone well in this country of mine anyways? And I'm all for freedom of speech and freedom of expression and all like all that good stuff democracy uh stands for. But there, to me, there's a red lion in the sand when even in this country, I see it where there's people advocating supporting a mos chanting death to America. They're they're pretty much just saying loud, great to us, like we don't like the Western world and we're here to destroy it. And I think when when I when I when I hear people like that talk publicly and and nothing happens to it. They just keep doing it here. Uh, I think to myself, Well, that's the red line for me. You can say what you want, but when you threaten the way of life and you just blatantly say to me or to to you know, to to the people of the country, and you will have no regret, reservations of I think. I'm like, yeah, it's time to round you up and send you back.
Speaker 12: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I forget who said it, but someone wiser than me said something to the effect that, you know, democracy or the Bill of Rights or the Constitution is not a suicide pact, right, Yeah, yeah, And that's what I believe. I mean again, if the woman who was arrested, this Turkish woman who was arrested, that concerned me. The optics were horrible, but I have yet to see anything other They allude to this. Well, they mentioned this op ed piece and the tough student newspaper, which I've read, but it was it was like something that a fourteen year old would write in junior high school or or whatever, and you'd say, well, that's an interesting article. But it wasn't like she advocated for And even if she did advocate for violence. It's another thing when you involved in a demonstration and you start to block Jewish students from getting to classes, so you start to occupy buildings and disrupt the what has to go on into university. You know, once speech turns to action, it loses a lot of its protection, if not.
Speaker 7: All of it.
Speaker 13: So I agree. And we've had incidents like that here. We have one in Montreal. We have them in Toronto all the time. We had them people walking traffic in Toronto in the middle of the day, people trying to commute.
Speaker 2: And we had that. We had that down. We had that down here three or four years ago, and they literally I had people on my show. There was one woman who was stuck in traffic. She had two kids, I think four and five years old, each of whom had double ear infections, and anyone a parent who knows what a double ear infection is like, they had to sit in traffic. Another older couple, her mother was eighty nine and was undergoing some sort of surgery at Mass General. They had to abandon their car, walk to an exit, basically hit a ride to try to get to the hospital because the doctors had told them, look, your mom may or may not make this, but she has to have the surgery today. You know, these people they don't care. You know, you know who who's an the ambulance trying to get somewhere. That's all their cause is so important, they're going to block major roadways.
Speaker 4: My not in my country, right.
Speaker 13: Jane, we had about, I don't know, maybe two months ago, we had an individual on the busiest highway in the world, the four hundred and the busiest highway in Canada, and we had a fella all dressed in his urb shooting at morning traffic, literally standing on the highway shooting point blank at vehicles.
Speaker 2: Well, I'll tell you it's a good thing that it wasn't me, because I would have run them over at that point. I mean, you're going to be shooting a gun at people, and I have the opportunity, I'm going to take you out. I hate to put it like that, but I mean that's I think. You know, again, that sounds pretty pretty strange. But what are we going to sit there and watch people be be shot to death because someone feels they have a right or a highway to take people to shoot people. No, I don't think so. You know, if you can help. If I'm walking down the street and I see someone beating the hell out of you, what am I going to do? Stand back and say, Well, I'm not sure who started that fight. I know there's one guy on the ground getting his head pounded in. I'm going to do whatever I can to intercede, and I hope other people would as well. I mean, self defense for you, for yourself, at least in this country. Can't speak to Canada or self defense or or defending a third party is acceptable.
Speaker 13: That's a horrible thing to do.
Speaker 2: You got it, You got it, Hey, Greg, I got to get one more in here before the break. So let me let me let you run for now. Please keep in touch. I want to know how that campaign, how that election is going to turn out. How what are we now about a week and a half away.
Speaker 13: Yeah, twenty eighth on Monday, the twenty eighth, and the debates are over. We had the federal debate yesterday in French and tonight it was in English. So all that stand fair is over.
Speaker 2: And now people do both the candidates and Canadas have to be able to debate in both languages?
Speaker 13: Yeah, they do, actually, uh. And Carney is not very not very He doesn't have a very good handle at all in the French language, so that was his weak point lost night. Uh. With with that debate but what are the what.
Speaker 2: Are the latest poll what are the latest polls show?
Speaker 13: They're showing here right now, neck and neck, and I.
Speaker 2: Feel that's that's better than it was a month ago. It was Conny by twenty points.
Speaker 12: Yeah.
Speaker 13: I still believe, though, Dan, I still believe, PAULI have you got the edge? I think I think the pollings is really you know, it's it's off. It's off.
Speaker 2: But we're gonna watch it closely. You're gonna be You're gonna be our election reporter on Tuesday Night from Canada, so we'k outing on you.
Speaker 13: Okay, Yeah, yeah, I'll keep in touch.
Speaker 2: I'm serious. I'm okay, Thanks Greg, Gotta run talk soon. Have a great easter. Okay, thank you? Good made. All right, let's go to Canon Leminster Ken, You're next on Nightside. Go read a hit, sir.
Speaker 21: Hey Dan, how are you fine?
Speaker 7: Ken?
Speaker 2: What's on your mind?
Speaker 5: Uh?
Speaker 13: Well?
Speaker 21: Uh my question to you is how much of this with President Trump is? You know, he likes to get a lot of bang for his buck. He likes to attach strings, some money, the doge, and he likes to look like he's saving money, and he likes to save money. I'll give him that much the doage stuff. You know with Zelensky too, he just doesn't like to keep funneling money without any getting anything back. How much of this is his attitude that I can't lose. I either do this to Harvard and they conform and I buy the university, or they call my bluff and I save nine billion dollars and I look like I'm financially fiscally responsible.
Speaker 2: Well, then the question is there's another factor there, and what happens if Harvard. Let's assume he tries to withhold the nine billion, which by the way, is most of it is used, as I understand this for scientific research, So that might not be the most popular thing to do when you know Harvard's working to find cures for various diseases. I mean, that's where the research money goes. It doesn't go to Harvard. It goes from Harvard to its affiliated hospitals, Mass General and all the other major hospitals that have an affiliation with Harvard. What happened as if then they go to court and he loses in court? People have had, you know, the worst of all worlds here taking a position that.
Speaker 21: Do you do you think he this might be disparaging to the president. But do you think he thought it through that much before he acted? No, yeah, yeah, so uh because quite honestly, and I'm but by the way, this this was a master's class in political science tonight. This is you don't get this on NPR. Dan, I gotta hand it to you. The tonight has been fantastic.
Speaker 2: Thank you very much. Well, thanks Steve Pinker of Harvard and the professor Pinker. And and also I hope you heard the nine o'clock hour with the dean of the University of Michigan Medical School, doctor Marshall Rungey uh talking about the shortages of doctors in this country. That's that's an important issue too.
Speaker 21: By the way, I actually I have to stuff out during that, but maybe I'll try to catch it on podcast.
Speaker 2: But yeah, pick it up on podcasts because he was great. He was great.
Speaker 12: Yeah.
Speaker 16: So just.
Speaker 7: I guess.
Speaker 21: Donald Trump doesn't look before he leaves all the time.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think that's I think that's what it is. And I think he's been successful. And then I mean even when he starts talking about the landslide, and you know how much he won by and he won he won an election, he won all the the states that could have gone either way. Okay, but he didn't win them by ten percent or I mean he had what he had, like fifty percent and she had what forty eight or forty nine points something percent. It was a close election. It wasn't Linda Johnson winning with sixty four percent or Ronald Reagan winning forty nine out of fifty states. You know, that's no.
Speaker 21: But there's a and again, I hate to say this, but there's an Orwellian aspect to Donald Trump where you know, if you if you say something often enough, then it's enough people that it's the truth, and it's fast, you got it.
Speaker 2: This part of that you could be worse. You could say that it was it was more than well o'welly and it was you know Herman Goring, you know, the big lie all of that. Yeah, you know, seriously, you know so.
Speaker 7: Well.
Speaker 2: I mean again, he won all of these seven he won all the seven toss up states, but he won them by you know, twenty thousand and thirty thousand votes. It's not a landslide.
Speaker 21: Landslide he he he he isn't hyperbole. I mean that's oh.
Speaker 2: Yeah, absolutely yeah. Hyperbole is more than an island off the coast of Hawaii. Okay, I guess what you say to me. Welcome to this paradise of hyperb Bully, Hello, welcome, good night, Hey Ken, I gotta run. We'll talk soon. Okay, thanks man, Thank you. Dan, have a great one one line six months, seven nine thirty. We're gonna get everybody in. Andrew, let me see if I get him in order. Here, Bill, Glenn, Andrew, Gary, you guys are all sad. We got one line six months, seven nine three, one, ten thirty. We'll get everybody in. I promise. Back on night Side.
Speaker 1: You're on night Side with Dan ray On w Z Bostondo.
Speaker 2: Okay, here we go. We're riding this baby home. Let's go first to Bill in Easton, Massachusetts. Bill, you are in Europe. You're next on nights. I go ahead, Bill.
Speaker 4: And the cutest story of the day that that dog that rescued the two year old.
Speaker 2: Didn't see that?
Speaker 4: Here about that? Oh that was so adorable. Oh yeah, in Arizona, he was seven miles he wanted to follow the power line. Oh my gosh, bring it it tears. Yeah, but wow, I'm all.
Speaker 2: The cutest story of the day that you'll see tomorrow. Is that the Senator from Maryland who went down to meet with Abrego Garcia. He did meet with him, and the El Salvadoran government has released pictures of them sipping margheritas. It's bizarre. It's bizarre. Well, I yeah, and I guess the uh the president down there posted Bucali posted ki Abrego Garcia miraculously risen from the death camps and torture, now sipping margheritas with Senator Van Holland in the tropical paradise of El Salvador. Now that he's been confirmed healthy, he gets the honor of staying in El Salvador's custody. Buke Ley, who said earlier this week that he has no intention of returning this guy to the US. It sounds like the good Senator got set up here by the president.
Speaker 7: Of the salad.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, I like your caller from Canada got me curious if it's the liberal the conservative leading But it's a neck and neck I think.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Well, the Greg is rooting for the conservative guy up there, the more liberal guy who would be the successor of Trudeau is. His last name is Carney. He played He was a goaltender at Harvard in the early nineteen eighties. So once again, Harvard Harvard. The connection Harvard is everywhere.
Speaker 4: I'm shute. Haven's been playing a cute role kind of they they don't want to rat any of their students out. You know, it's like acad academia with the Ivory Towers. You know, how far are they going to push the envelope rioting in the streets. I hope you have grinding yes tomorrow night, because I hate man of wear hats indoors. No, that's a sidebar.
Speaker 2: It's okay, Well, that's fine. That's one vote for grinding gears. It's in the league. Okay.
Speaker 4: But if I haven't call in okay, yeah, I know, if you'll let me write the all passed. But Trump, I think is correct in being a Joe mccafey and a Richard Nixon. And that's what's going on here. This is a republic we live in.
Speaker 2: You know, I understand that neither McCarthy Nixon ended up politically particularly well, so bear that in mind.
Speaker 4: Well, but they were they were correct. I mean, the comedies infiltrated the Manhattan projects. You know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't be like, I don't open up this line of conversation at seven minutes before midnight. You can discuss that at another time. Okay, Okay, thanks man, we'll talk to you tomorrow night. Good night Glenn, Glenn and brighton Glenn, you have next night side? You like uh brushes? You like what grinds your gears? Go ahead, Glenn, Yeah, I do.
Speaker 7: I'm on my WAD. I got connected without my commis. It's a long story. Okay, I'm on my show and I don't know how well I can hear you, but.
Speaker 2: You'll find we'll go. Just be quick, be quick, and we'll be all said.
Speaker 7: Go ahead, Yeah, I I agree with Trump under these I view with colleges. They want to post what they want to be private, and they want to get sederal funds. They shouldn't be getting any fun. It's it's for anything as their private. If they're truly private, they're quantied private. And that's what And they couldn't tell me. It's they could love will several money for seven hundreds of dollars of endowments. Right.
Speaker 2: But their argument is that a lot of the the money that that has comes from the government is for medical research, and it's it's a pass through. It goes to affiliated hospitals like Nash General, et cetera. So that's that's that's the other side of the argument.
Speaker 7: Okay, well it's the other side. But like you said, we don't have enough doctors.
Speaker 2: I mean, yeah, we had a pretty good hour with the dean of the University of Michigan Medical School who emphasize that point. And not only it used to be that they didn't have doctors in rural America and now we have. We don't have enough doctors in rural America, in urban America, and in suburban America.
Speaker 7: I know, my doctor never calls me back, never sends me anything in the mail. I'm sure work. I don't have a doctor right now.
Speaker 2: A lot of people don't, Glen. I got three behind you, so I'm going to try to sneak them them in as well. Okay, we're running out of time. Final comment, final comments or.
Speaker 7: No, Yeah, I just think I think Donald's doing what a plonised you would do.
Speaker 2: I love with guy, all right, fair enough, appreciate it, Thank you, Andrew and Gloucester. Andrew next on Knights, I want to get you in at least one more in Go ahead, Andrew, I'll be quick.
Speaker 7: So glad to thank you.
Speaker 10: I'm so glad to have the conversation with the professor Pinker and then Harvey Silverglade, yourself and all the callers.
Speaker 8: The the.
Speaker 10: The fundamental issue that I understand, you know it's regarding the pulling of the taxi dump status, is that Arvard uh is in violation of that's civil rights violations.
Speaker 2: Well, that would be with the argument. That's the argument that the Trump administration and the I R s would make if if they did decide to pull the tax exempt status. I'm not sure they're going to go that far, to be really honest with I guess I don't think they have a leg to stand on on that issue legally.
Speaker 10: Well, it goes back to the twenty twenty three I mean, I don't know this other than listening to other voices that are all all Harvard College graduates, by the way, Tom Cotton, Senator Tom Cotton, at least Dephonic, the congresswoman, and and you he at the National you know commentary. He They've all voice that you know, their support for that action, and they are saying, you know, the twenty twenty three Supreme Court decision the students for fair Admission yeah, Harvard.
Speaker 2: Failed to Harvard lost Harvard. Yeah, no, Harvard did lose on that issue, absolutely that. But but that's there's much more to these demands than compliance. They were complying. As a matter of fact, their admissions in twenty twenty four was significantly different racially than they had been in previous years.
Speaker 7: So there's debate on.
Speaker 10: Whether they're in soul compliance or whether they, you know, were allowed to skirt things by the former administration who chose not to enforce. But and they they had the you know, the final thing with regard to the proposals from the Trump administration, Harvard chose not to counter. They chose to just draw a red line and say, well.
Speaker 2: There's nothing. There's nothing they're going to accept. There's nothing for them to counter there. I read these these specifics and if you listen to them, they're very vague. They're arbitrary and capricious, as lawyers would say, and they're being asked to give up the control of the university.
Speaker 10: That I appreciate. You hit your take, but I heard another commentator who's also an attorney and who's also a voice, who found them to be quite reasonable.
Speaker 2: Okay, well, we'll see what happens. I'm not I never, I do not claim infallibility. Okay, that's up for the Pope's.
Speaker 10: Broadcast on your show. So I didn't say the name again.
Speaker 8: But thank you very much, you gentlemen, Thank you so much.
Speaker 6: Jan all right, a great one.
Speaker 2: Good night. I'm gonna give Gary Gary, I only got about ten seconds. I'm sorry. There's a couple of callers who aren't even going to get on. Can you do anything with ten seconds?
Speaker 22: No, I'll say one thing. I don't even know what the heck you guys are talking about. By I have an understanding, but one thing I want to say before I let you go. When are you going to talk for the whole hour about what putent's stolen? Because after a while we can't do nothing. He just wants to humiliate Ukraine.
Speaker 2: Thank you all right, Thanks Gary. That's the topic for another night. To the callers in the line, including Will and Long Island, and I apologize call earlier. I want to thank Marita, I want to thank ro I want to thank all the callers, all the listeners. We've had four great nights. That's finished strong tomorrow night, All dogs, all cats, all pets go to heaven. That's what mid pal Charlie Ray is, who passed fifteen years ago in February. That's where all your pets are who have passed. They loved you and you loved them, and I do believe you're going to see them again. Tomorrow's a very important day in the Christian religion, Good Friday, enjoyed and reflect on the memories of what were sacrificed on Good Friday about two thousand years ago. My name is Dan Ray. This is nights Side. I'll see you on Facebook on Knight sut with Dan Ray Live in a couple of minutes.