Speaker 1: It's Night's Eyes with Dan Ray on DEBS, Boston's new radio.
Speaker 2: We want to tell you what we know as we know it.
Speaker 1: We just got a report and that there's been some sort of explosion at the World Trade Center in New York City Center.
Speaker 3: You can see the fireman assembled here, the police officers, FBI agency, and you can see.
Speaker 4: The two towers.
Speaker 5: A huge explosion now raiding to pray on all of.
Speaker 6: Us got in the wag.
Speaker 1: The actual incident, the actual impact is the site of this huge building in golf and.
Speaker 7: Plaine with this massive cavernous hole on the side of it.
Speaker 8: And in one oh eight, we have a report of a plane crash somewhere in the area of the Pentagon. We're climbing it further.
Speaker 9: I need you to go over to one game in.
Speaker 2: Details are slowly servicing. But what we know at this hour is that United Airlines Flight ninety three from Newark, New Jersey to San Francisco, California, pressed here the good morning, killing everyone on board.
Speaker 7: The far tower suddenly explodes and flame.
Speaker 10: Make no mistake, the United States will hunt down and punish those responsible for these cowardly acts.
Speaker 4: That was twenty three years ago. Today we're talking to people, and we will talk to folks in this hour. We will eventually get to last night's debate and your reaction to it. This was a longer sound. This was when the President spoke to the country. This is cutting number sixty. So this is George Bush speaking to the country on September eleventh, two thousand and one. It would be about this time that night, twenty three years ago, and this was George Bush cutt number sixty up.
Speaker 3: Our financial institutions remain strong, and the American economy will be open for business.
Speaker 11: Well.
Speaker 3: The search is underway for those who are behind these evil acts. I've directed the full resources of our intelligence and law enforcement communities to find those responsible and to bring them to justice. We will make no distinction between the terrorists who committed these acts and those who harbor them. I appreciate so very much the members of Congress who have joined me in strongly condemning these attacks and on behalf of the American people. I thank the many world leaders who have called to offer their condolences and assistance. America and our friends and allies join with all those who want peace and security in the world, and we stand together to win the war against terrorism. Tonight I ask for your prayers for all those who grieve, for the children whose worlds have been shattered, for all whose sense of safety and secure and he has been threatened.
Speaker 4: So those of you who remember where you were that day, where you were that night, we invite you to call. My question is why can we not as a nation again have that same feeling of solidarity that we had that day and for a few weeks after, and then it all went away Seas Okay, we're gonna put Peggy and hold Rob. She wasn't ready, So we're gonna go to Steve in Bridgewater, Steve next on Nightsack, right.
Speaker 7: Ahead, Yeah, Dan, I got a quick, unbelievable story to tell your relations to September eleventh, Go ahead. My parents used to go down to Florida every year. They had this high lived in this high rise condo for the winter in Highland Beach, which is right next to her to Boca. So my father went to a barber in Boca Raton, right next door. Who do you think went to that barber shop? Mohammed Ada. My father probably shat in the same sheet as he did.
Speaker 4: Did he ever meet him?
Speaker 12: No?
Speaker 7: He never met him, but the barber recognized him. The barber recognized him, so he he was the same barbershop my father. You think of all the places he could have gone, It wound up the same barber as my father in Boca Ratan.
Speaker 4: Well, I believe that these guys lived in the country for for a while. Uh. Some lived in California, some lived in Florida. It's it's too bad. Well, I'm not going to say what what I'm thinking, but I think you know what I'm thinking. Wow, amazing, just amazing. He was the ringleader, as I understand it.
Speaker 7: Yeah, but Dan, who could have known? Who would have known? Who would have had?
Speaker 4: I wish your father had had asked the barber. I bet he wasn't a big tipper.
Speaker 13: I don't know.
Speaker 7: I don't know.
Speaker 14: I don't I don't know.
Speaker 7: I have no idea. But who would know? He's just another person getting a haircut.
Speaker 14: You know.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Well, that's the problem, that's what that's the problem with people. We're in an open country. We allow people to committed this country. We're not a police state. I don't want us to become a police state, but we have people amongst us. We have found out not only people who who were born here and grew up here who have done some terrible things. And then you also have people who come here looking Look look at Major Nadal Hassan. The guy that shot there was a member of the US military. I killed individuals at a at a military post. But about ten years ago, maybe a little more twelve years ago in Texas. The people who we've welcomed into the country.
Speaker 13: So see.
Speaker 7: And I can tell you another strange one that's unbelievable. I used to live in Sharon with my parents house. I moved out eight years ago and moved here Ridgewater. Okay, who do you think lived down the street from us in Norwood that we never knew about a Nazi war criminal. As a matter of fact, it was in the news. It was in the news. You might remember. Yeah, the reporters were in front of the house and everything. Here's a man that did these horrific things. You killed so many Jews in uh Lithuania, and he lived two miles down the road from me. I went by out.
Speaker 4: It took a long time to find those guys. They they came here and we took them in. A lot of them went to places in South America, Steve. It's just what it shows is that I think we need to be we need to have tighter security when then people come into this country, we need to know who they are and what their purpose is.
Speaker 7: In my opinion, that's not happening now, Dan.
Speaker 4: That's there's no doubt about that. It's open border time in America. Steve. I love your calls, you know that.
Speaker 7: Thank you, my friend, Thank you, Bye bye, bye bye.
Speaker 4: Talk to you soon. Let's keep rolling here. We'll get everyone in and I promise, if you were nice enough to call us, I have to be nice enough to accommodate you. Next up, Angelo from Newton, Hello, Angelo, my friend, How are you good?
Speaker 9: Dan?
Speaker 11: How you doing this?
Speaker 5: This is gonna be a there's a time that I'll never forget that this happened. We were working across the street from the Brown Junior High School and we heard the kids playing in the playground and the yelling and everything, and then all of a sudden, everything just went silent, and we didn't know what what happened. And we started seeing the school buses coming back to the school, and the guy comes running out of the house telling us that the twin towers and New York I hit with the with the planes.
Speaker 4: Wow.
Speaker 5: And we just and we had a cousin. We had a cousin that was walking in there. He walked out to go to the store to get something, and he and just as he was walking down the street, that happened.
Speaker 4: Well, that that was That was a man who fortune smiled upon that day.
Speaker 7: Wow, Yeah, he was.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's amazing how many times that something like that does happen. Someone gets into a bad car accident going through an intersection. If they left the house twenty seconds later or twenty seconds earlier, they would not have been there when the drunk driver rolls through the intersection.
Speaker 5: Yeah, she was worried about and she called my cousin and she says, my husband just walked out of the building. He says, he was going to the store down the street to buy something. Just as he was walking down the street, that happened. He was shocked. He could not believe what he saw.
Speaker 4: Is your cousin still alive today?
Speaker 5: No, he passed.
Speaker 4: Pas Well, he had many more years than he would have had if he had been in that building. Because that building came down and took a lot of people, a lot of people with it, Angelo, Great to hear your voice. Always good to hear your voice. Thanks so much for checking out YEP.
Speaker 7: One other thing I have to tell you.
Speaker 5: I don't know if you remember. Do you remember? I think it happened one time that there was a car popped in there and somebody put a bomb or something in it. Something like that happened one back.
Speaker 4: At night in nineteen In nineteen ninety three, terrorists tried to blow up the World Trade Center by parking a car that had a bomb, and it did not take the building down in nineteen ninety three, but they were intended down.
Speaker 5: They succeeded in that same time that happened, he walked out of the building. Again. Well that's how lucky he was.
Speaker 4: Well maybe that's how lucky. Maybe he has a subconscious sense of danger. I can't explain that one. That's more than a coincidence. Angela, Thank you much. We'll talk soon. I'm on my break, so I gotta I gotta head to a company.
Speaker 5: And I talked to you.
Speaker 4: Good to talk about on YouTube? Good night six one, seven, four, ten thirty. We'll get everyone in, I promise, all of a sudden people want to talk about this. We can talk about the debate later tonight, and if we have to, we can push it over to tomorrow night back on Nightside.
Speaker 1: Right after this, Now back to Dan Ray live from the Window World Nightside Studios on WBZ News Radio.
Speaker 4: All right, back to the phones we go. Everybody wants to tell us where they were. I like that. Let me go to Meredith at South Boston. Hi, Meredith, welcome to Nightside.
Speaker 8: How are you, Hidan, I'm good. How are you?
Speaker 4: I'm doing great? Thanks for calling in if I had you on the show before. Is this your first time?
Speaker 8: A couple of times before?
Speaker 4: All right, Well, back as often as you want, oh.
Speaker 8: Son, Yeah, thank you.
Speaker 15: Yeah.
Speaker 8: I was answering more to the question about the debate, but I'll definitely answer the question to where I was. I love to remember I was. I was actually just in a high school of science pass and we had heard the news on a TV that was rolled in the room. The teachers rolled the TV in the room and we had all sat under our desk because we thought we heard planes over at that time, and we thought like we didn't know what was going on, and it was a scary moment. But I really wanted to chime in about the debate and mentioned that I don't know my opinion necessarily changed after hearing me to me, I do know that a lot of the general contendents that I've heard from people, and that my opinion that i've I am not necessarily a Trump fan, to put it lightly, but I will say that based on the current issues with the migrants and that situation that's going on with our own to trying to take care of our own homeless population and our own veterans and our own mentally ill and the migrants that are taking over our talents with the hotels, and we're having busting issues with students, And based on that reason alone, I know many friends of mine are choosing to vote for Trump and hope that that we we'll get about our solution from him. And I will say that Trump is a vile creature and Turtle boy is guilty, and I hope that he goes to jail, and Trump eventually goes to jail as well. Turtle boy is guilty.
Speaker 4: Thank you, Dan, you got a lot in here tonight, ask for sure, Meredith, appreciate your call. Have a great night, all right, you had everything there. Let me go to Matt and Brighton. Matt, welcome back. How are you sure?
Speaker 2: Hey, Dan, how you doing?
Speaker 4: I'm doing great? Yeah.
Speaker 2: Well I remember wanted to say two things. I remember how old?
Speaker 4: How old were you in two thousand and one?
Speaker 2: I was, it's called around eleven or.
Speaker 4: Twelve, Okay, fair enough.
Speaker 2: So I was sitting in the Rowsree School, Ju Day's school. I went to small classes and I remember parents coming to pick up their children. And my mother, she happened to work for the federal government here in Boston, so the JFK buildings, so that was evacuated, and she came and you know, got me and you know what you understand at that age, it is just minimal. But what I wanted to call and just say a strong testimonial to for who is a great man. I know the family and they're great people. And his name was Daniel Lewin. He was the first person who died in nine to eleven. He stabbed in the first class and he was trying to fight off Atta and some of the other attackers, which was confirmed at least through the FAA reports. He immigrated from the US to Israel, was part of some special forces there, worked very hard. Great family man, good person. To develop the software company, and so he was on one of the planes.
Speaker 4: So this gentleman was on one of the planes out of Boston.
Speaker 2: He was on the first flight out of Boston that went into the first tower. Yeah, and he was stabbed. He was the one. He was stabbed in the first class and they.
Speaker 4: I think, correct me if I'm wrong, But they were able to figure that out because one of the flight attendants actually was able to make a call and that's how they began to realize that some of these planes have been taken over. Is that correct.
Speaker 2: On that one? Correct? And there's also some redacted information that the FAA and the you know, commission reports did that confirmed their finding overall that he was, you know, stabbing attempt to stop them, but he was Flight eleven.
Speaker 4: Flight eleven Man. Flight eleven was the first plane to leave Logan Airport heading to Los Angeles. That was the first plane that smashed into the into the World Trade Center. I think it went into I just hadsome milchair because it can be a little confusing with the different flights, but A eleven went into the North Tower. That crashed at about eight forty six am according to a time line that I have here. So your friend his name was mister Lewin.
Speaker 2: Well I know his you know, I mean they give respect to that family, but yes, his you know, he was a father and I knew you know some of the people that he would have been.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I've heard this story before.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and he was a great man. He tried to fight on that and defend the plane and he should be just as everybody should. Just want to say the name daniel Lewin and make god you know, I'm so.
Speaker 4: Glad you called an invocus memory tonight. None of us can should ever forget what happened on nine to eleven, and.
Speaker 14: We have to memory.
Speaker 4: He should not hold any biases against you know, people you know from that community, who who who took these planes down? But we can never forgive or forget what happened, and we must have we must make sure that it never happens again. Matt has always love you appreciate it.
Speaker 2: All right, daniel Leewin all that job bless Thank you, Jank too soon.
Speaker 4: Let me get one more in here at least before the break. Let me go to Chris and Bridgewater. Chris, you're next on that side. We're recollecting and remembering where we were on nine to eleven eleven, two thousand and one. Does that mean Chris, That is you Chris from Bridgewater? Right?
Speaker 14: Hey, I got two quick things right back then. I was in Texas and I was flying back to Boston on Monday morning, right And I went to a steakhouse in Texas because they're really good down there, but I had takeout, so I was going back to my hotel. The lady gave me a steak knife and all I had was a carry on bag. And the next morning, I put that steak knife in my carry on and I got on the plane. That was Monday morning before Tuesday of nine to eleven one. That's happened.
Speaker 12: So what that shows is that the security was not what it should have been at any airports. And of course things have tightened up substantially since then.
Speaker 7: Oh it's a different world, does everybody?
Speaker 14: I said, yeah, So, so Tuesday. So I'm back in Boston Monday. I live in Dorchester and I live on the third floor of a triple decker, and I have a skylight above my kitchen facing like the Northwest. And I was up and getting ready to go to work, and I just look out my window like like we know, it was a beautiful day out and they were running out of a runway that would carry all the planes right over my skylight in my kitchen, and I swear to god, I saw twenty thirty planes within the within the hour take off in that same pattern. And I'm for sure I've seen those two planes leave Logan.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I was looking at a schematic. Yeah, they both left. And you know, you can find there's there's a great timeline that's that's available on you know, one flight, the flight eleven, took off at seven fifty nine, just before eight o'clock, and the United Airlines Flight one seventy five, which crashed into the South tower, took off at eight fifteen. So if you were looking out at that time frame, they would have they would have you know, eight twenty eight thirty something like that. That's when they would have been flying by him. You got to give them time.
Speaker 11: For a long story longer.
Speaker 14: I work in Cambridge, and I get on my bike to ride to my office and I just cruise down mass Ave and I get to my office maybe eight forty five, nine ish, and you know, there's only a couple of people in the office at this time. And you know, I see some people bobbing their heads and their cubicles. Something's up. And then we go into the media room and we row out a TV to turn on the news, and it's ont on me. My brother works in Merrill Lynch, and Merrill Lynch had the most employees in one of those buildings and they had what else, they had the most lease space in one of those towers. And you know, I don't even think about it, but I'm like, wait a minute, I better call my brother's wife and see what's up. And like in nineteen ninety three, two thousand and one, my brother didn't go to the office that day and he had a meeting off site, and I actually spoke to him, but he, you know, every he lost a lot of Merrill Lynch colleagues there.
Speaker 4: It's just amazing. It's just amazing how fate works. And we talked with Angelo and his cousin was in the building and walked out just about the time the first plane hit the building. You just never know. Sometimes you're lucky, sometimes you're not.
Speaker 14: I had a friend work in the exchange building. He walked right by the build building when the second plane hit, and we were all nervous for this kid. He wouldn't pick up his phone for three four months. We knew nothing. We knew he was alive, but he was all devastated too.
Speaker 4: Oh, I'm sure.
Speaker 14: Ironically, I took my eighteen year old son to the memorial a couple of weeks ago. So it all, it all hits home when this day arrives.
Speaker 4: But I think it's important for us for it to hit home and for us to remember we should never forget Chris. I met my news break at the bottom of the hour. Great call. I don't know if I've had you on before, but please continue to call this program. Okay, you were a great call. You told some very interesting stories. Thank you, sir.
Speaker 7: Good talk, Dan see.
Speaker 4: Good talking to you. Good night. Six one seven two five four ten thirty. One line there, one line at six one seven nine three ten thirty. We will switch at eleven o'clock. Okay. If this sustains till eleven, fine either way, we're going to switch, and we're going to switch to the Trump the Trump Harris debate last night and what impact it might have had upon you. Whatever you want to talk about, we will talk about that. But I want to continue. I don't want this day to pass. I don't want this day to pass without everyone who listen at the night side reflecting and remembering what it was like on September first, twenty and eleven. I can conjure up those feelings. I can sense it, and I can believe I can almost put myself back in that television news van sitting outside this courthouse in Dedham, the school building in Dedham, where voters were walking in to vote in that Tuesday primary, and hearing that, well, a plane is crashed, a small plane, and then the second plane. That point you knew what was going on. And I think about the people shot the videotape of these big planes, wowing what must have they thought? Back on night's side, feel free to join the conversation, and we'll be back right after this night Side.
Speaker 1: Dan Ray on w b Boston's news radio.
Speaker 4: Back we go, Let's go to Rick and Bill Rick A. Rick, appreciate your call. Where were you on September dam Yes, sir, where were you on that faithful day September eleventh, two thousand and one.
Speaker 9: I was in Boston. I believe it's Boston. It's Brookline, Brookline, and I was Boston across from Lands Down and next to Jersey.
Speaker 4: That's Boston, your next to Funway Park. Come on.
Speaker 9: Absolutely, of the many bands that I've been in, this was the most special rock band. It was an original alternative rock band. And we're recording at a studio called Willy Mammoth right where, right across from Lands Essentially it's a parking lot now. But we had booked, we had recorded the songs for a CD we had we had finished in two thousand and two. The first five songs were recorded, and we had booked September tenth and eleventh to mix them, and we did someone the tenth and I remember driving home peacefully right on September tenth and and just a beautiful night. And I was by the Museum of Science and went home. And I came the next day and and David, the producer, an engineer and everything said that my guitar player, Julie had called to say that a planet hit hit the Trade Center, and maybe both at that point. I think I came later, more and more like after ten o'clock that morning, but and we were and Julie came in and we had booked the time, and so we were doing it, and in fact, Julie might have been I can't as she might have been there. It was just me, Julian, Will and David and we we were mixing the rest of the of the five songs, and uh, David, as the producer, actually said that he had I think his brother, I think it was his brother in law said his brother in law had a doctor's appointment that morning and he was in the trade center that was where his office was, and he was very upset when he you know, his brother in law was very upset, and David was and so we we did the work and uh, it was just a.
Speaker 4: Weird The brother in law survived, right, Yeah, he did.
Speaker 9: He did. He was. He was so upset and angry that, you know, obviously we were. This day always depresses me, but but we got through the there. I remember walking outside I might have met went to McDonald's on Jersey Street. I think it's gone now, but I think you know where it is, across from BC End, and yeah, and it was it was a beautiful morning. We finished up the work and I think I recall having a couple of beers with Will and Julie back when we went back to Rosalindale to Will's house. And then at nighttime I turned on Boston Radio and I started recording what Boston Radio was playing, and I have the tape somewhere and one thing, David Alan Bouchet. I recorded some of his and Magic one of six and some of the songs that he played were very touching. And that's pretty much the day.
Speaker 4: So I just I would like to hope that we could, at some point as a society, as a country, as a nation, come back and have that feeling and understand that there are ties that bind us. All of us. Probably knew someone who was on one of those planes out of Boston. I mean, you're talking about, you know, Boston's a big city, but you're still talking about two big airplanes. What are the chances that you might know someone on one of those planes?
Speaker 9: I did, I did, I did. I knew too. I knew one of the pilot or co pilot's father quite well. McGinnis and and I and one of my teachers from high school was with his wife Mary. His name was Jim Trentini.
Speaker 4: And so I was a former Bruins hockey player Ace Bailey who played in the Bobby era with the Bruins. He was on that plane. He and Mark Davis, who had played at PU. They were members of the Los Angeles Kings organization and they were they were heading out to begin the season. You know, they were scouts or front office personnel, and they never could have imagined what what fate awaited them that day.
Speaker 9: Yeah, and I was just gonna says as a final thought. When we finished the CD, I asked Will and Julie, I said, can I can I put I need to we need to thank everyone. I love thanking everyone. I took pictures of the producers and made sure they went in the CD. Also because everyone's a part of helping out everyone. I think of pictures of them, you know, nobody does that they did in the early days, but of recording, and so I made sure I put Jim, Jim and Mary Trentini on the CD h in memory of them, and uh and I felt good about that. So so it's a very bittersweet thing. We finished the CD and it came out well, and but but that was a good memory. So I think of Julian Will and I missed them quite a bit. I'll have to try to get in touch with them. But that's my rick.
Speaker 4: I appreciate you call, appreciate your reflections. Thank you very much, Joy, thank you, thank.
Speaker 9: You for tonight. Yeah, thank you so much.
Speaker 14: Bye Bye.
Speaker 4: Ron is in waymothrowing you next time nights. I get you in here before the break, Ron, go right ahead.
Speaker 12: Yeah.
Speaker 13: I remember that day very clearly. There was a day I wasn't supposed to go to work. I was in the security force for the O'Neill Federal Building and not station, and uh so I was in my bathroom to have coffee looking out the window and the birds were flying. I mean, it was a clear day, it was like But then I said, you know, this is kind of odd. This is kind of quiet. There's no cars on the street or nothing. All of a sudden the phone rings. Who is it the O'Neill Federal Building. They said, we got an emergency here. Have you heard? I said, no, I don't. I put the TV on.
Speaker 7: But before you.
Speaker 13: Put it on, get ready and get in here. We were shot on help but we got skelton cool. This is a national emergency. We're under attack, so they said, and please do not try to drive into Boston. You'll never get here, and we need you so I had to be driven to the to the MBTA and the Red line, and the Red Line I got on it. I got as far as Wallaston, I started going backwards on the same track. I said, WHOA, what's going on here? There was not many people on the train, and they said, we've been ordered to all trains out of Boston, out of the hub because they make the MBTA says they may they may hit Boston. So they didn't know. So anyways, a long stories.
Speaker 4: How did you get How did you get to work? If you couldn't drive in and.
Speaker 13: You had to take a train. They told me, only take the train. If they give you any problem to train, haven't call you Neil Federal Build. They gave me a number that and they will. They will take you in because you need to get in. We need officers in.
Speaker 4: So going on an MBT, you didn't go in with the m BT A you you caught a regular like train into South Station or something.
Speaker 14: No, I know.
Speaker 13: They only even though after they let me go, they reversed the train again, uh for me to go in and let me off a Park Street and they said this as far as we go, we're going back to We're going back to south. We have to get out. So I went upstairs. I went upstairs and they had these trolleys, you know, the Park Street, And I said, see the door open. There's two other people in there were sitting. I've got to sit there. It's not moving. All of a sudden, the conductor comes over. He says, everybody off. I said, I just study here. I got a surgeon. I got to get them. Not stay. He says, we know all about the attack, but we're out of service. You better be smart, you better get I had my backpack. Let me, he said, be to stop running. I had to run all the way from UH from where I got off UH and all the way all from the Park Street and run all the way to North Station. And when I got there, it was crazy. It was crazy.
Speaker 4: Well that's about a mile. So you did, you did pretty well. You got pretty close to it. I did.
Speaker 13: I was. I was helping the puff and I was, okay. It was it was I'll never forget that day. It started so peaceful and UH, it just I And then the other thing, real quickly is that my my wife, UH was very concerned because after she found out UH our son was in school and in the n y U.
Speaker 14: But he wasn't.
Speaker 13: He didn't go to school yet. He was in his apartment in Manhattan, and she was trying to reach him forever, and she was praying he would answer the phone. Answer the phone. Finally he answered. He said, why are you waking me up? He says. He says, it's good. I left my phone on last night. I forgot I crashed late, he says. He said, we were under attack. He didn't even know where they were under attack, First Avenue in New York, and he says, oh no, So it really affected him more than us. And the power was going in and out, the water was being shut off. It was crazy. It's crazy enough.
Speaker 4: I've heard my story. Your cell phone service didn't exist, Ron. I'm passing my break. I got to let you go.
Speaker 14: Thank you for letting me tell my story experience.
Speaker 4: Thanks Ron, I appreciate so much. Talk to you. I have a great night. All right, let me see if I can get one more in here before the break. I'm going to give it a shot. Jackie and Boston Jackie next on Nightside, Go right.
Speaker 6: Ahead, Hi, jan Jan, I was wondering if you ever heard this. I only heard it mentioned once and never again. Now. I don't know if it was the morning of the attack or the Jab's war, but all those high jack has showed up at the airport, I believe it was. And the agents of the person who was, you know, letting them go through, was very suspicious of them, all these Middle East men with no baggage in one way tickets, and he wanted to question them, but he was afraid to get in trouble, so he didn't. Ended. Of course, what happened happened, and I never heard anything about this again. I wondered what happened to him. I would think, no, when you let them through and then we were, you know, attacked like that somebost because it's suicidal or something like that.
Speaker 4: I don't know. I have not heard that story. I do know that one of the things these guys were traveling pretty light. They were going from eventually Boston to Los Angeles. Muhammadada State and at one of his colleagues stayed in Portland, Maine. So they they flew into Boston. They did not have to secure I have to clear security in Boston because obviously once you got off at a certain gate, you just walked. They just walked to the gate where they were going to have to go. But I've never heard that story. But you know what, it certainly would have been possible. And in those days of political correctness, maybe he was told to keep his mouth shut and not say anything. You just never know.
Speaker 6: Yeah, it happened, I believe, at the airport in Maine, and he was suspicious because there was so many of them. They were only traveling one way, they didn't have any baggage, and he wanted to question them.
Speaker 4: Well, in all, over nineteen hijackers, Okay, some of them were in washed at Dallas Airport in Washington, some were in Newark, some had been here in Boston. So they were traveling in small numbers. It wasn't a pack of nineteen. They had split it up pretty well. So even in the two flights out of Boston, some groups say that they were not inn on Social Field Road, and as they say, Muhammad Ad and at least one other stayed up in Maine. So I don't know, you know what, it's possible, Jackie, that someone might have heard that story and in the next few minutes they'll call him, they'll tell us that they had heard the same story.
Speaker 13: Okay, I never heard anyone.
Speaker 4: Again, a lot of times those stories maybe they're not true, or maybe they're true, and someone in the government says, you know what, let's just let's just bury that story, because look after that, we heard the story from the fellow who was down in Texas and who said that he was able to fly the day before and cleared security even though we had a knife in his baggage. That's all changed as a result of nine to eleven, no doubt, No thanks Jackie, I appreciate you, Carl, thanks so much.
Speaker 14: Holding on.
Speaker 4: Good night. Okay, Sandy, Christine and Dan, I'm gonna get you in and they'm gonna wrap it and we're gonna go after eleven to your reflections on a more recent event, the big presidential debate last night. But as I said, Sandy, Christine and Dan will get your stories on nine to eleven, two thousand and one and what you recall back on night Side after this.
Speaker 1: Now back to Dan ray Mine from the Window World night Side Studios on w BZ News Radio.
Speaker 4: I'm going to try to get everyone in. Let me start with Christine in debhim. Christine, do you remember September eleventh, two thousand and.
Speaker 5: One, I do.
Speaker 16: I was at work, and I remember my father had to come get me because I was in need them and I was supposed to take the commuter rail home, but they wouldn't. They wouldn't let even the commuter rails out, so my father had to come get me. And I remember that night too, so aery. After that, after it happened, all the the the the the military in the sky all night long. The security in the sky was so airy. I remember all that. I remember like the music like where were you in the world? Stop turn and just watching all the films, and it was so aery. It just really it was so scary.
Speaker 4: It really was sure if we as a country, we'll ever feel the same way. We all were concerned. We all felt that we were under attack, whether we lived in New York or not, and we felt in danger, and we and we all seemed to have one another's back. But I think I'm not sure we'll ever have that feeling again.
Speaker 16: No, I you know, I think it helped everybody come together, you know, as a country, all off the families, we all stay together.
Speaker 4: And I think, you know, and I think we all understood that the time that we had that Tomorrow's never guaranteed. You know, it's like we have today, but you wake up tomorrow and you don't know what that day might hold in store. And we've lost that sense, a sense of community and sense of country. And I hope we can get it back. Christine.
Speaker 16: I hope so too. I know I knew two of them were West Roshbury, was Jerry Dwatam up bays Alas all lives.
Speaker 4: Oh God, I think everyone probably knew someone. Yeah, Christine, thank you so much. I got a couple more. Going to try to sneak in here before.
Speaker 1: Eleven as always, thank you so much.
Speaker 16: Enough back from vacation.
Speaker 4: I'm back from vacation. Vacations in the review of Thanks Christine, talk to you soon, all right, good night, good night Dan and Brookline. Dan want to get you and at least one more in Dan, go ahead, Hey Dan.
Speaker 11: So, I was living in New York City my wife, who was my girlfriend at the time. We both worked downtown. I worked a couple of blocks away from the Trade Center and my wife worked on Wall Street, which is a few blocks further away. We both worked really late the night before coincidentally, and we both decided that we weren't going to go to work early that morning on September eleventh, and I decision, well, yeah, I watched it all one told from my roof, and somebody who worked for me was killed. And I am lucky that I worked late the night before. But what I really wanted to call about was, if you remember, the mayor put out the request that people go to the funerals of the firefighters. Three hundred and forty three firefighters died, and I just randomly went to the funeral for Michael Carroll, who was thirty nine years old. He had two kids, a daughter and a son, and he was on the forty fourth floor of the North Tower and he was treating burn victims. Was the last anybody heard over the radio from him, and you know, he perished when those buildings fell, and along with three hundred and forty two other firefighters.
Speaker 4: And that was the stuff what coverage those men and women had as they climbed up those stairs. They had to know that they were walking into a of circumstances from which they would not necessarily or.
Speaker 11: Did they even think did they even think that far about it? Because that was their job, and they did their job, and they knew that their job is dangerous. But you know, however, you however you want to say it, it's it's amazing and we we should never forget them. And and you know, just a quick thing is I also with the soccer coach of the marathon bomber. So I have this weird tie to two pretty big terrorist attacks. And anybody who thinks that this stuff, you know, just like isn't still a concern, you really got to think twice. We live in a dangerous world. We need leaders that will prevent this stuff. And uh, it's real, you know, And we should never forget any any of these victims.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean Chris Ray, who's ahead of the FBI, says that he's never seen so many red flights, red lights flash in front of Congress. Dan, I love you, calls me and call more often. Okay, thanks then, thanks talk soon. Going to get one more in here, one more. I'm going to give it my best shot. We got a couple who will hold over, don't leave. Well, we will use you. We will take all of these calls on the other side. But let me get Sandy in Hampton, New Hampshire. Sandy, I got a couple of names for you.
Speaker 13: Go right ahead, Okay.
Speaker 15: I was in the Tyle River and Hampton called the willows with my three year old though soon to be three year old, to walk in the marsh or the salt Sindos. And when I came back up, my neighbors asked if I heard about what happened in New York, and I told to no. So I went up to her living room and who were watching it on TV? And we saw the second airplane hit live on TV. Were like, is this the replay? But it was actually live? Yeah, And my son was playing with toys and stuff. My husband was in Sandy Hook, New Jersey if it was a coast good on one of the lighthouses, and he saw it all unfold. They wanted him to stay to help because they made that area to makeshift more for the.
Speaker 13: People.
Speaker 15: And but but he had to come back because I'm a nurse and he needed to watch our kids. Yeah, but I didn't find out, oh what happened until he got back because I couldn't reach them. I didn't know where he was where he stayed that night, and my three year old later that day or the next day, was playing with his blocks. They made two towers, one one with one block lower than the other one, and somebody knocked them down and he fell apart, crying and saying, don't knock down the towers. After that he never played with his blocks again.
Speaker 4: Wow. So it's amazing how much a young child Kenne doorb even at that age, he intuitively knew what had happened, and.
Speaker 13: He was maybe just be he understood.
Speaker 4: Yeah, no, I'm flat up on time, so I gotta let you go. But if you haven't called.
Speaker 15: One thing that impressed me the most is the amount of American flags that went out on every single overpass, all the houses I drove by.
Speaker 5: It was amazing.
Speaker 4: I'd like to see that. I'd like to see that display more often.
Speaker 15: Okay, thank you half great week.
Speaker 4: Thank you Sandy, your first time calling.
Speaker 15: Oh no, long time ago.
Speaker 4: Well, call back more frequently. Okay, and I'll give you more time next time. But I'm up against the eleven. Thanks very much to Betty on the boat Pete, New Hampshire. Stay there, I'll take you on the other side. We'll talk. I'm not gonna turn anybody away tonight we'll be back on night side.