Speaker 1: This is Eye on the Ball with Steve Rivera and Jagan Zalaz on Fox Sports fourteen fifty powered by Nova Insurance Services. Make sure your most prized possessions kat z R two SA at iHeartRadio Station.
Speaker 2: Yet Good, good afternoon, everybody. Welcome to Eye on the Ball here on Fox Sports fourteen fifty. I'm Steve Rivera, He's Jagansaush. You got our guy Henry in today for our final final show at this location. We'll forgive us if we shed a tear. Don't forgive us said we shed a tear.
Speaker 3: I'm not going to miss the guy at the QT who carries a machete.
Speaker 2: That's for his protection.
Speaker 3: I doesn't know. I don't know.
Speaker 2: But today I went in. Today I went in and there was this dude walking past me and everything. Please don't look back at me. Please don't look back and kind of look a little sketchy. They all do.
Speaker 3: Yes, Well, you know, you know it. You know it's a tough it's a tough place, a tough cute t when they have an armed security guard in there who's armed like a SWAT member. All right, he's got like two weapons, a knife, all the all the gadgets, and then I started thinking, should I be more scared of him or the guy where the people he's trying to protect me from.
Speaker 2: Don't worry, He's not the dude that stopped Tyreek one of those incidents.
Speaker 3: We did.
Speaker 2: Well, let's maybe get to that. Maybe we won't. But okay, so you were one of the many thousand what was up ten?
Speaker 3: I didn't see. I think it was more than.
Speaker 2: Because you said forty four to forty five could.
Speaker 3: Be I thought it would be over forty five.
Speaker 2: Okay, So I wanted to because I was one of those guys and it was pretty impressive.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and you know, I got there again probably twenty minutes before kickoff and the and the student section was Janry.
Speaker 2: What's up with that student section? They've never been this way ever?
Speaker 3: And again they stayed. Of course, it was a game, so they unexpectedly a game.
Speaker 2: What do you think is going on? Team's good?
Speaker 3: I mean, I was gonna leave it halftime, but when the game was closing, sta well, they were losing it half to forty forty seven seven.
Speaker 2: It was not a bad crowd for any You do you think that they're there to see t MAC have some explosive with with with Noah, because hey, we've seen it years Jay, they would leave at halftime without without questions. Yeah, now they're staying. What do you guys are staying? What's up?
Speaker 3: Well, I think it might have been the fact they were losing time they wanted to.
Speaker 4: Now that the conference game they're gonna start, I don't think anyone's gonna leave it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's been good. It's been very good. You got to get the Zona Zoo kids in here, one of them to say what you.
Speaker 3: Don't want to talk to them because I'll yell at him.
Speaker 2: Well, that's fine. Now you have to say I'm gonna yell you. I didn't be nice to you.
Speaker 3: Yeah, exact.
Speaker 2: Because they've been nice.
Speaker 3: They've been great. They are they putting much in your scholarship checkerors. Something I will give. I will give props where props are and they are, dude, because they're showing up and they're staying. They're adding a lot to the atmosphere and the the stadium is not dead in the middle of the fourth quarter.
Speaker 2: No question. No, it's been it's been really good. A lot of red, a lot of except the thing is okay, Jay, Uh there's one hundred people in that building. I'm just throwing the number at you. How of the hundred, how many left? Uh? Okay, how many were not freaking out?
Speaker 3: Five?
Speaker 2: Five?
Speaker 5: Uh?
Speaker 3: Of the of the hundred, five of the hundred, we're not freaking out. The fans are just losing their minds.
Speaker 2: I sent you the text. Yes, I heard some fencive you were ft. Yeah, and we're not.
Speaker 3: They're not. But I can see why people are saying that. I don't blame people for saying that, but you, you and I being the adults in the room, okay, to me guess what they're to and oh.
Speaker 2: Well that's the whole thing, right, and that's a saving.
Speaker 3: Great right. And you know who's not to and oh Notre Dame's not to and on Michigan's not two, and oh, let's U's not to and O Florida State's own two, Clemson's not two and ol Auburn lost to cow so they're not to and all. So if you're unhappy that Arizona's two and oh, you need to shake yourself. I'm like, dude, did I like what I saw Saturday night? Absolutely not. I'm like everybody else. I did not like what I saw. Am I freaking out that there's no way they can be Kansas State? No, I'm not, because that what these games are for is to figure yourselves out, okay, and so that's what they have to do.
Speaker 2: You bet the seven and a half? Did you put the eight wins?
Speaker 3: Eight? I'm fine? How do you feel my mind hasn't changed the lick because because of this. Look, there's a lot of ways to look at this. You can be the glasses is half empty guy and say we suck, We're not going to be anybody. We're going We're going for four and eight. Or you can be the guy that says, okay, they barely beat NAU twenty two to ten. They look bad. Now they've got stuff to work on. They know what they need to work on now. I didn't know at the beginning of the game all the personnel issues that they had, that Cory Krossky Merrit was not there, that they had issues on the line, guys were playing out of position, you know, I kept I'm what I was noticing during the game was that Arizona could not block Anau. It could not block them, nor if Fido is ready for his life all night and I'm like, what the hell is going on? But then you see that guys were not playing the positions they normally play, and it made sense.
Speaker 2: So the people that wanted somebody other than t Mac being mentioned got their wish right, and now the opposite is right and see, and that's it to me. I'm in the first half particular, in particularly, I'm like, they're trying too hard not to throw it to Tea Mac throwing the damn all if he's open, and he was open a couple of times that he was being double team in the double team.
Speaker 3: Times he threw it to me forced it. You know that one interception he threw on the sideline, he threw another bomb and the end like what happened to him running wide open the way he did?
Speaker 2: Did you send me something on him? Did you ask me a question? Because I got a couple of questions from a couple of people asking if he was injured because he didn't play. Now, I don't think so. I think he's a bit discouraged right now because they didn't. You know, you have this ten catch day. And then the question was asked of Brendan today about his body language that he seemed disinterested or disheartened to know he because he wasn't gonna give the ball.
Speaker 3: I've noted even last week. I know he comes out of the huddle, he's got his head down. He kind of looks like he's like that. You know that that that? Who did we see there was a famous NFL player, uh, receiver? Probably he just who just looked like completely uninterested. Then you get to line up and you take off and it's got you know, I don't know who that. I've noticed his body language in any game, even you know last week when he was running up and down the field, he's kind of slow to the huddle. He gets to the huddle, he gets them, then he kind of jogs to a spot and then boom, he shot out of a can.
Speaker 2: Well, that's the first I've heard that. Because if that's the case, that's just who he is.
Speaker 3: That's who he is.
Speaker 2: What the question was, you know, talking about bad body languages as well. He didn't go specifically with him, but that needs to change.
Speaker 3: He had the same body language Saturday night that he had last Saturday.
Speaker 2: Well that was not mentioned because I've never really noticed that I have that. Again, you used catch twelve balls? You think you know, Okay, that's just who he is.
Speaker 3: I watch him. I watch him, watch him mainly to see if he's hurt, but I watch him. I watch him when he you know, when he goes out for a pass and doesn't get I watch him go back to the huddle and he kind of strolls back to the huddle and he strolls back to the line, and he's kind of like, God, there's there's a famous player and I can't remember if he's a baseball, basketball or football player who could who looked like they were dead and then a play would start and they were just off and and he's like that, and I you know, you know what if he's if he moses back to the huddle, gets the play dogs out to his spot, and then takes off and gives one hundred effort and no problem with it. Other guys have that body language because you know they're discouraged. He had the same body language sturday night that he had.
Speaker 2: I didn't notice any that maybe the loping type of thing. But if that's who he is, that's who he is. We'll go more beyond yeah, or see if they take care of it too. If they saw the same thing Uh, so we're going back on Monday. We'll talk more about the game. Obviously, we have Chris Silvester, who covered the game for ESPN on. He was there as the play by play guy. So we found him over the weekend. Uh Torres found him for me, and then we're gonna have extra mendous. He meant as we've had her Beforeta, they're five and oh.
Speaker 3: They are five and oh, and they're hill twenty eight to nothing in their in their last h in their last four games, thirty to one in their five games, but their last four for matches they won four oh six oh seven, oh and eleven. Oh. So that I mean they've got a scrimmage coming up with Eastern Arizona, so let's say that doesn't count. So I mean they're gonna beat Glendale like fifteen nothing. It's just crazy.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So we'll talk to her about it. What's going on. They've always been good.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they ranked eleventh. No, we'll see how good the ranked eleventh in the Division two on national rankings.
Speaker 2: Okay, so we'll talk and then we'll talk to Chrys Silvester on the other side to see what his impressions were. If you're a fan, if you're a fan, exactly, either happy or not happy or whatever. Now is the big boy time?
Speaker 3: Yeah? Yeah, and look we we they got to this point two and zero. Did they ask some stuff to work on the ab but who does? Kansas State didn't look all that good to me. They you know, they won because they got a defensive touchdown at the end of the game. They let to lane, they had to come. They were down ten to Tulane had to come back. Won the game on the defensive touchdown. So everybody's got their issues. And again, would you rather be Arizona fan right now or would rather be Notre Dame fan right now?
Speaker 2: Well, I'm not sure how you feel as an Arizona fan. How do you feel there? Junior?
Speaker 3: Definitely better than what a Notre Dame or Auburn? What the hell was Auburn doing losing to Cal?
Speaker 2: They lost in New Mexico stategium.
Speaker 3: Lets you do a money line parlay for me?
Speaker 2: Oh, they had to come.
Speaker 3: That's what it all has has to do, what it's all about.
Speaker 2: Yeah, who else was you going to compla complain about pros?
Speaker 3: Probably? Yeah, the Bengals. The crap that was as Bengals, That was.
Speaker 2: The Bengals, not the Bengals, god like.
Speaker 3: I mean, okay, eight and a half. You know, in the NFL, that's that's a good sized point spread. But the Patriots are unanimously considered the worst team in the league by a lot. And the Patriots went in there into Cincinnati and beat them. What the hell supposed to do it?
Speaker 1: That?
Speaker 2: Did Chase play?
Speaker 6: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Yeah, Chase play? But t Higgins did not. But I don't care. You've Jacobysett is the Patriots quarterb you know, but Jacoby Brissette might not be the quarterback at our kids Turkey Bowl. Okay, I mean, come on, Steve, come on.
Speaker 2: I don't know. Because finally you said that, you know, the people in this room, we had, uh, we had Lauren, and we had the Jose said, well four of us, Jose my son, Uh, that we could go and play and it was pretty good.
Speaker 3: You got to give any of your credit for for for what they did. They pushed their zone around on the on the on the you know they're on the defense. Their defensive line pushed air zone around. I mean again, if a Fina hasn't run for his life much ever a long time.
Speaker 2: If I can remember you're right, you could be right.
Speaker 3: I mean for a little bit, for a part of the game, for like the middle two quarters in the Alamo bule so Oklahoma chased him around like that. But for an entire game, nobody's done that.
Speaker 2: So let me ask you one of the things. The coaching changes, right, and the new coaches come in, at what point? At what point this continues? So this continues when you're gonna kind of say, you don't know, I don't know the next two because the next two we knew were gonna should lose.
Speaker 3: These two. Now, if they go get beat forty eight to ten by Kansas State, you got a problem. But you know, if they don't beat Kansas State, but it's a good game, you know, twenty four to twenty, you know, thirty one to twenty seven, whatever, that's home field advantage. They just can't go over there and look like crap. And I I believe, I mean somebody's already saying Dino Baber sucks as an offensive coordinator. No he doesn't, you know, they they're just and how much of this is getting used to the new staff? Get he used to the you know, new schemes, getting used to new terminology, getting to all the things that are new. People forget, people forget that. Would they be having these issues if Jed Fish was still here. I'm gonna I'm gonna say not.
Speaker 2: Yeah, no, no, probably probably not. There was another thing I wanted to ask you, do you know? Do you know?
Speaker 1: Oh?
Speaker 2: Do you think part of the issue too? And I don't believe in this that they've held back some things. No, I don't either.
Speaker 3: I don't either. I don't either. I just think that I just think that they were not They just did not play very well on Saturday night. But guess what, they didn't play very well and they won.
Speaker 2: So you know, I do the show on Saturday pregame with Black Byron and and David, and I asked him, is there a chance that they could come out flat? I didn't use the word flat, just just not of course excited.
Speaker 7: Yeah.
Speaker 2: And then they said no, because you're an athlete. It doesn't happen. It happened all the day.
Speaker 3: They do too. It happens all the time, but they're not gonna admit it. Exhibit a Arizona basketball, don't.
Speaker 2: I was gonna say, how do you explain the first round losses exactly?
Speaker 3: Exactly.
Speaker 2: It happens all the time.
Speaker 3: I'm losing to Santa Clair ninety two, just here. It happens everywhere. Yes, yeah, it's not just in Arizona. Hey, look, I don't be grudge fans who are upset. Right, let them be upset. They have a right to be upset. Arizona hasn't looked great. But just think about it before you start saying the season is over. Some guy I'm on driving home listening to Yeah the first caller ripped him all the way back to Dick Tomy days, said that this is a typical Dick Tomy performance. You play defense and just enough offense to win the game. I hated it then, I hate it now, and I'm like, what do you do? He's got I was embarrassed. The guy said he was my agent. I'm like, go away, Oh, go a way. You said he was sixty five.
Speaker 2: The funny thing about it is Jay I said that to to Anthony, who's covering the game. I said, it's the Inner Dictoby kind of offense. You know, the run, run, pass maybe okay, and move it out and they're gonna win. We knew they will win, but you know, okay, we gotta go. We gotta go already, We're gonna get a hold of ishta yeah, amendus, and we'll come back to mend.
Speaker 3: Better get that right?
Speaker 2: Yeah, Okay, let's go.
Speaker 8: The Window Depot has everything you need to create the kitchen or bathroom of your dreams. Frowsyisles of instock cabinets, available in a variety of sizes and configurations, and instantly elevate your space. Today, visit a showroom and let our experts guide you. Whether you're choosing for ready to go designs or creating a custom masterpiece. We can help you select the perfect wood, type, color and style and top it off with unique hardware to complete your love. Find a location near you at the Window Deepot dot com. The Window Depot more than a windows store.
Speaker 2: Steve Rivera here to talk about Doronto Rocky Materials. I needed a lot of ground for my driveway, so I called Eric at Doratle Rock. He found out the amount and color I needed and boom, it was taken care of and at a great price. How do I know radio commercials work? I heard one of his on the radio. Dorato rock and Materials provides a wide range of landscaping materials including decative rock, boulders, gravel, soil, and sand for residential and commercial use in the Tucson area. They are locally owned and have been around for more than fifteen years. Give them a call at five two zero four zero zero for two three three.
Speaker 3: Where do you.
Speaker 2: Buy exercise equipment?
Speaker 9: Arizona Health Arizona Health Arizona Health.
Speaker 10: Of course, to feel better and look better, it makes sense to buy your fitness equipment from the people who know it better than anyone else. At Arizona Health, our goal is to help you choose the equipment you need to reach your goals. Your health and fitness deserve the best you deserve. Arizona Health the leading edge and exercise equipment on twenty seconds just west of Wilmot.
Speaker 11: It's award season for summer sports leagues and times. Look at trophies for baseball, softball, volleyball, and swimming seasons for youth and adult leagues. Summer has arrived and it's time to replenish your promotional products for your companies. Giveaways keep your employees looking great in fresh new apparel, polos and caps with your sharp looking logo. Creative Awards is here to serve your professional and promotional products needs. Visit their Creative Awards Idea Center at two twenty eight West Drackman Street or visit them online at Creative Awards az dot com.
Speaker 12: At Nova home Loans, we believe everyone deserves the opportunity to enjoy the independence that comes with home ownership. Paul Volpi is ready to help you find an option that best fits your needs, whether you're a first time or veteran home buyer or want to get cash out with the refinance. Nova has a variety of home loan programs to meet your unique situation. Visit voltpeteam dot com, that's Volpe team dot com or call five two oh six one eight five six two six today in MLS three oh eight seven, arizon A BKO nine two nine four two Equal Housing Opportunity, how to commitment to lindrixyon Credit rates and available loan programs are subjects to change with no notice.
Speaker 13: Did you know sports cards at Memorabilia are setting record sales last month of nineteen fifty two tops Mickey Mantle SO for twelve point six million, Lebron James Rookie SO for five point six Also, collecting cards is a family fun hobby that can be very profitable. If you want to start a collection or expand your collection, check out Showtime Cards. They are one of the leading card shops in the country and have served our local community for twenty five years. They are located on e Speedway That's show Time Cards.
Speaker 14: Ready to save but not sure where to begin? Take the Pyramid Federal Credit Union ten thousand dollars saving Challenge and we'll guide you along the way. Save five hundred dollars over six months as a member and.
Speaker 2: You could win big.
Speaker 14: Watch your savings grow to help you reach goals like buying a car, owning a home and more. Visit Pyramid FCU dot com Slash ten k challenge to get started today.
Speaker 2: Been really insured and see you a.
Speaker 5: Gut?
Speaker 9: Bugs, termites, fees or rodents. Arizona Pest Control will hunt them down. Arizona Pest Control is your complete desert pest management specialist. Tests can't run or hide from Arizona Pest Control. They use only the latest and most technologically advanced methods of pest elimination available, which minimizes the effects on the environment. Let Arizona Pest Control get rid of your bad bugs, termites, bees, or Rodents serving Tucson and southern Arizona since nineteen forty seven. Go to azypest dot com to schedule your free evaluation today.
Speaker 2: Selling your home want to get more money for it? Will Danny Roth can help you? He told me about as you Flip the Home You Own program. The program allows for a homeowner to fix up their home to sell without using any of their own money. They will be able to sell the home for a much higher price. Danny Roth with Omni Homes International is the real estate consultant in Tucson that offers this program. He has consistently been the top agent in Tucson for the last thirty years and has sold over ten thousand, five hundred homes. For more information on this program or just buying or selling a home of Danny Roth at five two zero four nine zero four thousand, streaming.
Speaker 15: Live I mean iHeartRadio while this is High on the Ball with Steve Rivera and Jacobzalez on Fox Sports fourteen fifteen.
Speaker 2: Hey, welcome back to Whying the Ball here on Fox Sports fourteen fifteen. I'm Steve Rivera. He's jigsaws. You know the fun we have preached them and this minute Pimastix women's soccer coach, How are you What in the world is going on at Pima? Is the is the field slanted one way?
Speaker 3: Is the goal bigger?
Speaker 2: What's going on over there?
Speaker 5: I mean the field is amazing. I'll tell you that.
Speaker 2: Well, you're doing very well on both ends, offensively and defensively. Let's start on the offensive side. Thirty goals in five games.
Speaker 3: Five games, Yes, I mean, what are you guys doing? I mean, why is that happening.
Speaker 5: That?
Speaker 3: I mean that? Look, I mean, are you in any league? That's a lot of goals?
Speaker 15: Yeah.
Speaker 5: I think it's honestly, just team culture of wanting to be gritty and coming out strong and maintaining the spirits high. And we all will playing soccer. So it's going as many goals is what we want to do.
Speaker 2: Is it even a surprise to you?
Speaker 5: Honestly? Now, the incoming freshman mixed with the sophomores this year, I think we call them on each other very well, and we're able to play with each other.
Speaker 3: So so. But as you're as you're out there and you're just pumping in goals, you know, one after another, you know, is there? How do you how do you keep everybody focused. Is you know, are there competitions out there? I mean, what, how how is that? How do you keep that you know, high level of momentum and pressure and all those things you know to be doing what you're doing.
Speaker 5: I think it's honestly the different personalities that we have on this team. We have a lot of coming freshman with different plants. That was like different backgrounds. But with all these different backgrounds we come we all come from competitive programs, so we always play like we're down a goal and keep pushing until the lasts.
Speaker 2: Is it your style to put to push some you know some coaches are on the defensive end, some guys or some team coaches on the offensive end. Are you one of those? Let's go after the type of coaches.
Speaker 5: Honestly, we're just play until the last whistle, light defense after, try to get any goals if you can, but just maintain composure.
Speaker 3: You know, when when you took this job, was there any sense of I don't want to call it pressure, but expectation that you felt about this program because you know, both the men's and women's programs that at PEMA you know have are you know, nationally ranked programs all the time. What were some of your expectations coming in and how have you handled all of that.
Speaker 5: Well, I'm a player on the team, so coming into a program like PEMA, it was a racky because of the past teams in the past seasons and how well they've done, so coming in, I just want to keep that legacy going.
Speaker 2: So how many goals have you scored?
Speaker 5: I've scored zero goals. But I I'm more of a play so.
Speaker 2: Okay, So then we missed. We missed. When Ray got me you on to get on the phone, I thought you were in touch with one of the coaches, So that's good. You played a.
Speaker 3: I thought you were a coach to.
Speaker 2: The Foothills, right, Yes, I did. Yeah, I know she got a That's a program that's excelled in soccer for a long time. So how does that help you? How does that carry over?
Speaker 5: I mean my event every year we would go to playoffs and we would make it pretty far, especially my freshman year we made it all the way to the state finals. And I think I learned a lot from those coaches and they had a lot of experience, so it really prepared me.
Speaker 3: Okay, so that makes sense now, No, Okay, now we've got the confus worked out.
Speaker 2: When I saw the picture, I'm thinking she's a relatively young ki.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I thought the same thing. Okay, so we you're we've got your sophomore, your your player. Okay. Back to that same question, then, as a player coming into this program and knowing the status of this program nationally, how do the players handle those kinds of expectations and you know, is it pressure or is it just you know what, we want to be good. We know we're going to be good, and we just do it.
Speaker 5: I think it's kind of going back to what I said earlier about us coming like a lot of the players are coming from very competitive and very successful programs, whether it was clob or high school. So I think we're all very used to the pressure and I don't think the pressure gets us as much. And if the pressure is there, it allows us to push through and to play better.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Okay, so it must have been. It must be good chemistry right away, even though you're only five six games in.
Speaker 5: Yeah. I mean over the summer we really try to for us as Goltomers, we try to get the fresh and involved and do a lot of team bonding and tell them Hey, like, we need a winning season this year and we really wanted that and we've been doing so.
Speaker 2: There's a lot of twosonans on the team. I'm assuming most of them are twosonans. How is that because you guys were competitors for all these years growing up unless you were like maybe T S A or f C, f C TWC soon on summer league, so summer yeah, summer teams.
Speaker 5: Yeah, we have a lot of familiar phrases, and I think that's how the team chemistry. Just playing we were like five years old and seeing each other through high school and through club and finally being able to play together I think really just help with that team chemistry.
Speaker 3: Is there? Are there? But you know in doing that, you know when you get there and whatnot. Are there any rivalries a little bit? Or is everybody on the same page from the get go?
Speaker 5: I think we were on the same pace from the get go. We all again, we're very competitive, and I think our competitive personality that we were able to mesh really well and want the same goal.
Speaker 2: Mm hmm. Okay, your position? Are you a defender?
Speaker 5: I'm a defensive okay.
Speaker 2: And that explains why you have no goals? But but you must be you must be pretty happy to see your teammates doing what they're doing, and because I'm sure there's a few that already have three or four goals.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I'm really proud of all the girls on the team, from the freshman are storing to the sophomore start scoring. Even some players that aren't scoring the ones that's giving those making big moments happen in difficult games. That I'm proud of every girl the team.
Speaker 2: Does this a success? Early success? Uh, that's a weird question. Set you up for I don't want to say failure. But you've started really out of the gate tremendously well. Now if something happens, you know it set you back. But can you continue this? It's gonna be tough.
Speaker 5: I think we can. I have a lot of states in the culture that we've created since the summer, and I think we're very grateful as a team and we were able to push through the adversities and get the goal.
Speaker 2: So you you played at Foothills, Was it always need the intention of yourself to to go to Pima.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 5: I wanted to stay local and I wanted to stay here because I knew with a program and I I knew coach Kelly from high school as well, so I didn't want to stay local, all right.
Speaker 3: So playing with all the all the local players though, I mean, as you said, you know, you grew up with them, You've you've seen them, and now you're kind of messioned together as a you know, one of the better, you know, junior college teams in the country. How does that come together? Though? You know, what do you know? Is it? Is it automatic? Everybody understand each other? You know? How does that work so well for you?
Speaker 5: I mean, coming into a college team is very different than when you're playing, but it's it's it's more competitive here, but I think that business allows us to force each other as a team and trust the team and trust the process. We need to work hard and we need to make sure that we're all united as a team.
Speaker 2: So how's college life? I mean this, she's your first year, You're in there busy second? How is college life being a student athlete?
Speaker 5: Well, last year it was difficult trying to time manage every thing. But this year, after already having the first year experience, it's it's it's easy, and I do like it. I do like being a student athlete. I like the being able to play.
Speaker 2: And okay, okay, so let me ask you, do you have what what's your hopes after this season? Individually?
Speaker 5: Individually? I would like to continue playing at a four year.
Speaker 2: Okay, well that's probably your goal as a little girl, to playing in the playing in the summer leagues.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it was. I'm on soccer. I can't imagine my life without soccer. I've been playing since I was five, so and I fell in.
Speaker 2: Love with four ever sin Okay, I think you played Friday. When's your next game? Your next match?
Speaker 5: We played tomorrow.
Speaker 2: Tomorrow, Okay, so you could score another sixty goals?
Speaker 3: Who knows?
Speaker 5: Will We'll get a joke.
Speaker 2: Okay, that's a promise. That's a promise. But used to thank you man, you very much, Thank you guys. Well, well there was some confusion there, Yeah there was. I just texted Ray about that. But no, that's cool. Who would have thought thirty and one? Yeah, on five and you said they're ranked.
Speaker 3: They ranked eleventh. They moved up to eleven in the National Division two rankings. One thing. The match tomorrow is an exhibition with UH with UH. I believe it's East Eastern Arizona seven o'clock tomorrow at PEMA and then they have a no, it's at Eastern. Then they have their next regular match is Saturday at eight o'clock against Glendale.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so she's a captain. Ray's just texting me. Yeah, so obviously well spoken. When she was we were saying captain, she never corrected. This is like, this is like Darryl Lewis Daryl spell her name with two wells with.
Speaker 3: Two as exactly now. But you know, again, this program that just continues to just great teams, both them and and the men's team just uh you know, always good.
Speaker 2: Right right as they should be. You know, this is a town that's made you know, this is a spot of soccer going into the cycling town. This is a soccer town. It's a baseball town, it's a basketball town. Yeah, you know.
Speaker 3: I mean all three of my kids at least played a little soccer. My my my middle daughter Alana, she only played one year of like five year old soccer, but Adam played in high school. Rachel played in middle school. The only reason she didn't playing in high school was that the soccer season was the same time as volleyball again and she chose. She chose volleyball.
Speaker 2: Yeah, my kids played the soccer for twelve years.
Speaker 3: It was crazy.
Speaker 2: I had no idea what the hell they were doing and turned out okay because my ex it was pretty good attitude.
Speaker 3: Well, you know, I mean, I look, I don't know the strategies and what a good defense looks like, what a good offense.
Speaker 2: Looks like, the advantage of their offense or defense.
Speaker 3: All do different things, you know, I know what the object of the game is. Goals, bag score gold, bab get as many as you can. Yeah, I do know that when you bet on soccer, you when you bet on soccer, you can bet to win, to tie, or to lose. And I like, you know, I bet a point spread one time, right, and uh, but it was a it was a full boy. But a push is a loss, yeah, whereas in other sports a push. That's why a push, that's why it's a loss. That's that's where you can bet the die. You can bet a push. And I didn't know that. And I went to the window saying I won, and they said, no, you didn't. I say I did. I was getting I was getting one. It's a push.
Speaker 2: And he says, sorry, sir, sorry, sir one eight hundred, next step, but there is a table tennis match here like some curlings, some curling and some corn hall. The post for the cornhole term is happening now.
Speaker 3: A little axe throwing, little axe throwing. Gotta love that.
Speaker 2: Okay, Hey, let's take a breakdown. I'll have a lot of calls or a lot of time to take some calls on your thoughts on Saturday's game.
Speaker 3: Sounds good.
Speaker 2: If you're an Arizona Man's basketball fan, you know it's been successful for nearly forty years. Now take a look back at the Ludelsen era in my new book, Lessons from Loot. It was a labor of love through the eyes of twenty five former players, coaches and friends to give insight to the coach and the man who led the competed against them and inspired them twenty five chapters for his twenty five years as Arizona's beloved coach. Lessons from Newton is an insight to how he built the program into a national powerhouse. What one email me at Steve dot RIVERA ninety five at gmail dot com.
Speaker 16: Hi, this is formal wildcat Leman huntly with Arizona Health Imagine how home GM can change your health, your comfort, and your time. Arizona Health is everything you need to transform your personal.
Speaker 9: Space and your life.
Speaker 16: We off a complete line of cardio machines, multigms and freeway equipment. I'll certify fitness experts and technicians will set you out with the right equipment and training to get you started to keep you going. Visit our shure room today at twenty second in Wilmot. Arizona Health the lead edge and exercise equipment.
Speaker 4: What's your goal a new career or career advancement? How about transferring to a four year college. Pema Community College can help you make Someday today and reach your goals affordably on your schedule. With over one hundred programs to choose for and financial lad available, It's time to earn the degree er certificate you need to prepare for the career you want. PIMA offers free career exploration classes so you can choose the field that's right for you. Learn how at Pima dot Edu. Slash Someday, Hey Tucson, Steve Rivera here and I've got a tip for you. Want to be in good hands while cruising the desert or kicking back at home, then you need to call my friends at the Edmund Marcus All State Agency. These guys are the MVPs of home and auto coverage. Whether it's a fender bender or a leaky roof, They've got you covered. Don't fumble your chance to save.
Speaker 2: Call them today and score big on your insurance with the Edmund Marcus All State Agency. You're always in good hands. Visit them at twenty seven nineteen no tempbell or call them at five two zero three two three nine three three.
Speaker 15: Three breaking down all the excess at Alls. It's Steve Rivera and Jaden Salves. This is I on the ball on Fox Sports fourteenth fifty.
Speaker 2: Hey, welcome back to il. About here a Fox Sports fortune could be. I'm Steve Rivera. He's thinkings. Also, we have about seventeen minutes if you'd like to give us a call five two zero four one six seventy four forty What did you think about the game? What do you think about the team? What are your concerns? What are you not concerned about?
Speaker 3: Or simply stay are you in panic motor or you're just like, okay, this is where we are they're doing. Oh, let's move on, right, should I think you're in one camp or the other.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah you can.
Speaker 3: I don't think anybody's wish he was.
Speaker 2: I don't think they're in different Yeah, I agree with you. Do you watch Brennan two in addition to teammate, No, So, I guess.
Speaker 3: I mean I look for him. I looked for him to see if he had an lay on again, and he did. Not as bushy as the last one.
Speaker 2: He had, just a guy. I guess he collapsed a lot. That's what I read.
Speaker 3: He would collapse a lot. Oh yeah. Yeah. He looks like he's out there cheering and stuff like that. I don't see him deeply involved in play calling, you know. I'm sure they go to, Okay, we're going for a fourth down or not? Are we kicking a field goal? You know? What are we doing? You know? And I I Steve, I'll say it. He looks like Dick Tomy on the side.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: No, he's up and down the sidelines. He's not a you know, he's just out there seeing what's going on, encouraging. Sure he's got he's got input on everything, but he's not calling the plays, you know, either on offense or defense.
Speaker 2: So I think I asked you this on maybe I'll ask a different way. At what point till will you? So they go on the road, we thought if they get one, it's a bonus, right if they lose to kind of what you expected.
Speaker 17: Uh.
Speaker 2: The funny thing about is it's before the season. You kind of look and what do we know? What does anybody know when they kind of win here or win there and win the No one knows because things change on a dime, right, And as you pointed out the teams that are zero and two or one and one, when they thought, oh they did be two and oh, it's it's a crap shoot, right, Uh. And now they could lose next two and you'd expect that anyway, Right then Texas Tech and then the ball gets throwing.
Speaker 3: Right, And but the next two will depend on if they lose. It will depend on how they lose. And it's style points, right, style points are going to matter in these next two games because you know, yes, the wins and losses, but if they get blown out twice, now now you worry, right and you think, okay, what's going on? Whereas if they go to these two places, play good games and just get beat and you can chalk it up to, you know, home versus being on the road. Then you go, okay, that was the expectation. I don't expect him to be three and one. I just don't. Now. I feel better about their chances of Kansas State this week because Kansas State didn't look great on Saturday. So, you know, will I be surprised if aar Zona beats Kansas State? No, I won't be shocked, but I don't expect them to.
Speaker 2: Think I think it was some of you said that the game was a nine and a half point game. I think it's down to six and a Half's six and a half now and earlier, Well it was six and a half last week. Yeah, so if you were so smart, man, you would have taken the nine and a half or no way back then, way back then. Yeah, there's still hop you know, what do we know about them way back then? Yeah?
Speaker 3: Who kin of State or Arizona. It is seven right now, so that's that's.
Speaker 2: Not a bad number you could push, but but that's still it's just not discouraging to the people to make the odds because if you saw Arizona just naked eye, you don't know much. Think really they're not too exciting. Yeah, they're not too exciting, but you know what they kind of are. They showed it in the first game.
Speaker 3: Yeah, look, they're capable, right, they're capable. They're they're a good team and they're capable. Did they show it on Saturday night? They did not? But no team shows that week in and week out. Well, I shouldn't say no. Few teams the special teams do you know, the Georgia's, the Alabama's. But again, you know, there's some teams that are licking their wounds right now that you wouldn't expect to be licking their wounds.
Speaker 2: And you know, and some teams were close Oklahoma. Oklahoma struggled against Houston. Alabama was struggling a little before. While Yeah, but you know, it's still early.
Speaker 3: I mean there are a bunch of teams that that didn't you know, they didn't show on on over the weekend, and you just go, you know, I mean again, you're early in the season. You're figuring yourself out now.
Speaker 13: Is that?
Speaker 3: You know? Look, normally, normally this game with Kansas State doesn't take on as much meaning as you know, a third non conference game, you know, it doesn't usually take on as much meaning as this one is. This one does because even though it's a non conference game, it's ken it's a game from your conference against the team that people think is going to be as one of the top teams in the conference. But there were a slew of games, you know, people were talking about SMU having a shot to win the A c C. They got beat by b y U at home.
Speaker 2: It's funny. I'm sure you respect Joe kla Yeah, he had a he's a CU grady my understanding. He had Dion in an interview in his podcast. Whatever, it wouldn't be unrealistic if you had, you know, seven eight wins, you had a chance to go to the twelve team playoffs. And obviously Young ate that up big time. Yeah, they looked like a far win team.
Speaker 3: Again, they look like the same team Nebraska abused them in that first half, right, I mean, they just obliterated.
Speaker 2: And I'm just wondering if he's just trying to appease him or whatever here and now they're in deep.
Speaker 3: They look like the same team they had last year. You know, they got no no line on either side of the line. She or Sanders is running for his life. Shiloh Sanders broke his arm. I don't know if you saw that. Yeah, okay, let's take this call.
Speaker 5: Hi.
Speaker 3: You're on the air and I on the ball.
Speaker 17: I'd be like Orb Farnes worre. You can't talk to me about football till baseball season's over, especially since my Cubs are playing your dirty team tonight.
Speaker 2: Uh day, Well, the Cub's any good.
Speaker 18: Oh, they're pretty good, but they started off whack and they're getting it together.
Speaker 17: And they don't have they didn't have all their pitch, and of course the Dodgers were really injured.
Speaker 3: They still are better. Yeah, all kinds of guys banged up.
Speaker 2: Howard? Where are you been? Where you been? Howard?
Speaker 17: No?
Speaker 18: You know what I was actually thinking today, I was going they're going to be moving in if they haven't already to their new place.
Speaker 3: Yeahmorrow tomorrow.
Speaker 17: That's that's the big reason why I called.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we need help, We need help with movers.
Speaker 9: Come on.
Speaker 17: Yeah, yeah, and you're gonna be we're so close to me because I live really close to Jay, right, because you're going to be close to Jay right?
Speaker 2: No, God, no, no, we're not going to be that close to you.
Speaker 3: You're you're twenty minutes away. Well, you're twenty minutes away.
Speaker 2: This is half five, so you're more central.
Speaker 17: You're still more central than the way the hell out.
Speaker 3: Yeah, central and north and then a better neighborhood. Let's just say that.
Speaker 2: Wait, weren't you like it?
Speaker 17: Yeah? Weren't you like? Is the Swan in Sunrise?
Speaker 3: Yeah, Wine and Sunrise where it's going to be.
Speaker 17: Yeah, that's where you were saying.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I used to live there.
Speaker 17: You can catch by Swan and Sunrise.
Speaker 2: You can catch you have McDonald's across the street.
Speaker 3: As so as they finish it, it's not it.
Speaker 17: Yep, you can so u and then it's gonna be fun to watch the Bears next Sunday, I was saying, I was saying, Steve's going crazy with him picking the Bears two.
Speaker 2: Different they're and they're the ones that saved me, man, They're the older ones that saved me last the last week.
Speaker 3: I think it Bears in the Texans.
Speaker 2: Next week, I think the Texans.
Speaker 17: But but Jay did that as usual.
Speaker 3: Probably No, No, I had a nice I had a nice weekend.
Speaker 2: You beat me, I hit uh. In fact, yeah, I think it's the best weekend you've had in two years ago. This year. In last year, yeah, yeah, I hit.
Speaker 3: I hit three games before at the Lock and the Special, So I got four points. And so Steve and I are even in terms of weeks one. Steve and I are even. He's one point ahead of me, so I'm right there. Yeah, yeah, so it's all good, good, Okay.
Speaker 18: I actually lived at Swann and Sunrise for twenty five years. Okay, down there where those big ready radio towers are just on the eide.
Speaker 2: Were you always gonna say, well, okay, I know where you were.
Speaker 3: We used to go tully hopping over there.
Speaker 17: No, no, no had apartments there, No, Kay Burrill it's down like a mile from south and he's in the fetch Kaya neighborhood.
Speaker 3: We used to go tully hopping and the guy's sand rail of there on Pontatok Road. And and actually Ponatok wasn't there. It was a place where there were there were booney parties.
Speaker 7: Yeah.
Speaker 17: I remember in the nearly seventies when my dad was building our house in Skyling Country Club. How those roads are going to go way up and down?
Speaker 3: Yep, yep, yep, big yeah.
Speaker 17: Yeah, all right, guys, all right, Howard, thanks.
Speaker 2: Tomorrow, Howard, hadn't heard from Howard.
Speaker 3: Yeah that no, that area up there was there was nothing up there.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well I got here in eighty seven and there was nothing above the Orange Grove if I can remember.
Speaker 3: Well, you could go over there south of it was called Skyline at the time, south of the Skyline basically between river and Skyline on Ponatok Road because was not and there was not, and you could just go in there with a you know, with many bikes or motorcycles or a buddy of mine had one of those sand rails and we used to We used to go down the wash to get there and then would go driving around in that area. It was cool. It was fun anyways.
Speaker 2: So so let me we'll talk about the defense now, because because they were better.
Speaker 3: I mean, well, you know, Eric Newman, this this the the sun right, it was right. They didn't get two touchdowns. You know, they put that one touchdown up on the board.
Speaker 2: Well here's here's the thing. I think, correct me if I'm wrong, at least you in your mind.
Speaker 17: Uh.
Speaker 2: They they helped Arizona. They went forth and well that was dumb, that was dumb. That helped them get right. Well, that changed the whole game. And the right that changed the entire game. When they went out their fourth I'm like, wait a minute, what do you guys, I'm like, don't do it? Yeah, there were it was they got They.
Speaker 3: Got into the twenty on a on a punt that went into the end zone and then they they're on the twenty nine yard land and go for it on fourth down. Let's take this call.
Speaker 2: Are on the air and I on the ball.
Speaker 6: Hey, what's up, guys?
Speaker 11: Is Vi?
Speaker 3: Vic?
Speaker 2: What's the word?
Speaker 6: I want to know what your grade is for Brennan uh keina and uh and.
Speaker 2: Uh Wait Okay, I want to get yours because let me say I get text throughout the game and Vic was one of them, and I want to get his grade. If even they have a grade that you can give.
Speaker 6: All right, get Vic have the incomplete sound.
Speaker 2: Okay, it's a C minus for me.
Speaker 3: I'm a C plus.
Speaker 2: Okay, I'm a C plus.
Speaker 6: H you can, but it's a deep for sure.
Speaker 3: It's a D if they have a loss. They're two and oh, Vic. No matter what you say about what the two and oh looks like, they're two and oh, So you can't give them a D.
Speaker 6: Day. They played two of the worst, and you have to factor that in. But they didn't on both of them.
Speaker 3: But they didn't lose. There's a bunch of teams who lost to bad teams.
Speaker 6: Participation.
Speaker 3: No, no, no, no, no, no no no. I'm just saying. I'm just saying, Vic, they're two and oh and they're still ranked. I'm not giving them a D. But I'm not giving them a B. It's a C plus because they they won those games and and you know, in the NAU game, say what you want about you know, they were down and so they stuffed them the entire second half. Any of you never had a chance in the second half.
Speaker 6: Well, because they haven't look good at many phases and both phases on Saturday.
Speaker 3: Well, I'm gonna debate that, because they put sixty one points on the board against New Mexico, all right, and.
Speaker 6: Didn't look good. I agree, Loop missed the dangfield goals.
Speaker 3: So I mean that that was that was that was scary. Okay, I'm not gonna lie that that When that happened, I thought that's the kind of thing that happens when you lose a game like this, you know, Whereas I never thought they were going to lose to New Mexico. The two times that that it was it was thirteen to ten and Nau had the ball. I thought, if any you does something that goes and takes the lead, this gets really dangerous. And the Arizona just didn't let him breathe.
Speaker 2: So, vic Us, your birthday Saturday? Did you celebrate with uh? With any kind of conviction? Given the game?
Speaker 6: Ah, that's lucky. My bobbleheads weren't close to throw at the TV.
Speaker 2: That's good. No, vic I'm sure you have a bunch of buddies who think the same way you do.
Speaker 17: No.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I mean, I'm really close with my nephew and he's close with Troy. Talk to him all the time, and he's just really scared now about the postseason and I and you know, I was really pumped up about this whole thing, and I'm scared out you.
Speaker 3: Okay, okay, what what has to happen Saturday? Aside from a win obviously, but what has to happen Saturday to not lose your mind about this football team?
Speaker 6: You know what? Like you guys said, just play well. Offensive line can't have no running for his life. I played terrible. I thought he did. He threw some ducks up there, which I hadn't seen in forever. Yeah, just just play well.
Speaker 2: Okay, all right, okay, we'll see what about.
Speaker 6: And then I got Steve. I gotta tell you, you know what. I saw Jay as a tailgate the first week, and I'm the only one. He invites Nico and you and everybody to tailgate and I still haven't got an involved.
Speaker 3: Dude, you look like you were holding court where you were sitting there. I mean, I'm going to take And then.
Speaker 6: He comes on on the raid and says he has all kind of left over sickens and I'm sorry.
Speaker 2: You were you taking selfies over there in the corner.
Speaker 6: Yeah that was me.
Speaker 3: That was Oh you know what, Vic, we were out of beer. That's why I didn't invite you. You'd had to just take a cup of ice.
Speaker 6: No worry, Okay, you guys, all right.
Speaker 3: I did run into Vic. I guess I should have said, hey, man, you gotta come over. But you know what, he was holding court? Yeah, he was with a bunch of guys sitting on that wall right there in front of Michale.
Speaker 2: Okay, he's up. He's a pretty passionate us texting you throw out the game, saying this is.
Speaker 3: All right on our on our Twitter, Tommy the UPS guy calling out VIC saying, imagine saying, the team that scored sixty one points sucks, Come on Vic to go. Tommy, you're I agree with you one hundred percent. Yeah.
Speaker 2: The thing Tommy though, is a sensible guy too. He Yeah, he's not a one sided guy. I think that Tommy might feel a little in the middle.
Speaker 3: Hey, look, has Arizona looked the way you expected him to look?
Speaker 17: No?
Speaker 3: No, but they're not terrible. No, what's terrible? D? Huh Yeah they're they're Yeah, they're they're not a D team there, you know they have you know, look this this NAU game was you know, like okay, this you know, got one more call. We got to let's take it's.
Speaker 2: Got to go about a minute. Give us a quick called back, just quick called back and give us your thoughts. We'll be ready for it. We saw too, you know.
Speaker 3: Again we go where were going? Let's take this. Hi, you're on the air and I on the ball.
Speaker 19: Yeah, Hey, this fight the uh hey so like the but it's uh, I'm not that worried about Arizona right now, because you know, one any U comes into this game like their Super Bowl. We come in. We came in like it was a Wednesday practice, kind of woke up a little bit.
Speaker 7: The concern that I've got though, is that we looked at I mean, obviously score a lot of points against New Mexico, but the uh, the question is they doubled the team ac a lot in a deal, and we didn't seem.
Speaker 19: To have another option that was reliable. So I'm just wondering if you think people are gonna see that and where we're gonna go from there.
Speaker 3: Yeah, no question, Well thanks Mike, we got to go. But my issue was that with that was that No, I didn't have time to find somebody else. He was on the run all night long. He was under pressure all night long. And then they didn't have jmc right, they didn't have the right so they just got to you know, the blocking in the backfield wasn't good. I mean, they just didn't protect him and give him time to throw. Now, you would expect that whatever was going on there, that that was happening. That's one of the things that they've got to fix for Kansas City.
Speaker 2: Now realize they can't afford to lose those guys, right, they're not deep on the line. They're not deep, and that's going to be crucial moving forward.
Speaker 3: Right and it's going to be crucial this Saturday against Kansas State, against against the top UH power power four team.
Speaker 2: I think they'll be okay. Running back wise, we've got to go. But because the kids did really well, but your offensive and defensive lines are unlive as usual, the best things you need.
Speaker 3: Yep, Okay, okay, we'll be right back.