Speaker 1: M M. Just what we need more rain. Welcome back News Radio eight forty whas the Tony and Dwight cho twight. It'll be back next week after Memorial Day. We have brought you by the Kentucky Office of Highway Safety. Please buckle up and put the phone down. Yeah, so rain is mostly well going to get not a lot of high winds for us, but that rain is going to continue to the worst hit in Kentucky and that rain is going to drop on them. There's possible flooding. So I know that WLKY, our TV partner, has people there. So if you want to watch the TV there or listen to us, we'll have it for you here at News Radio eight forty whas. We got you covered. I know that we're excited to see Tom Cruise's Mission Impossible, the last one he's gonna do. It's called The Final Reckoning. Those are so much more entertaining than I could ever imagine. I mean, they're basically James Bond done in a different character. But Tom Cruise is. Part of the charm of those movies is that he hires the best. He's one of those guys that demand He's like a Spielberg of actors and he has to have the absolute best and he does his own. You know, when he's hanging on the plane, that's Tom Cruise hanging on a plane. When he's running down that giant building in Ghost Protocol, that's him running down the tallest building in the world in Dubai. And he had to actually solve the story where they had to find a stunt coordinator that would okay it because they kept going through stunt coordinators and said, in no way, he did it anyway. So the last one, and again it seems like a flaky there's a key and the key is to the most powerful computer like AI quantum computing, right, so it's like, okay, they got to get the key is a physical key, but I can't wait. I'm gonna watch that. But they've said it's it's a little crazy, spectacular stunts, but it's the end of a run there for those movies. But I've enjoyed them. Tom Cruise is kind of weird. Spent three years here, he wrestled for st X for a couple of years, got three sisters, and he's turned himself into the movie star in the world. That's for sure. My young childhood was Star Wars. That series was great until they ruined it. So when I get home, John, I make notes for the next day, Yes, and I sit in my desk at in my bedroom and I put on the big screen and I put whatever movie on, just his background thought, and then I start mining stories for today and all that. So a lot of times I'll put that last Star Wars on. The last three were produced by Kathleen Kennedy, and I always thought something was off. I was just like, why did they ruin? And by allah? By the way, the diet in all the Star Wars movies is awful. I mean, it's awful, but we love it. Awful, but we love it. But Kathleen Kennedy, I saw an interview with her that really set me back, and I was she took an agenda into those movies. She said her job was to annoy white men. And I said, You've been entrusted with one of the most beloved series in American history to Americans, and you took an agenda into that just to piss off white guys.
Speaker 2: That's the Disney way, is it not.
Speaker 1: Right? Right? The only one that makes sense is Rogue one. The rogue one is the one off. Well, they all die at the end, and it's all it is really all about. That's really what revolutionary people are about. They all die at the end, you know that, right, I mean they And it's exciting and it's about to set up to the first movie, A New Hope or whatever it is, a Hope whatever, the one they retro named A New Hope, Yes, retroactively. Yeah, it was Star Wars and then they renamed it. It's number four. Technically.
Speaker 2: A lot of people think that Star Wars was ruined when they did the prequels.
Speaker 1: The prequels were as bad, and that's why he sold it, because he clearly George Lucas had clearly lost his way. They were really bad.
Speaker 2: The only one I've seen all the way through was The Beat, the first one of the third trilogy. I can't think of the name of right now, the one that has Adam Driver in it.
Speaker 1: What's the name though, Yes, that's oh the Force Awakens, the Force awa all the way for the Force Awakens.
Speaker 2: But not not not being a Star Wars guidance scene. I thought it was a good movie. I didn't really know what I was gave.
Speaker 1: It was okay, Yeah, it was spectacular and look, the best parts of the movie is when the Millennium Falcon was in it. Yeah, you know, and and the best part of the second one is when Han Solo is in it. But they didn't come up with any new idea ideas. They built a death star into a planet and guess what, just like in the third third Original one, Return of the Jedi, they have to have a small group go to the planet and disengage the tractor being whatever.
Speaker 2: So and I love how they killed off Harrison Ford because he wanted to be killed off.
Speaker 1: Oh no, he wanted to die in the in the last one, and George Lucas said, nope, you make too much money in the little figurines. He went, okay, So Kathleen Kennedy produced him, and she, she clearly from her own mouth, said yes, I made those movies to annoy white guys. And I just I thought, what an ego, I mean, what a what a narcissist to think you you're gonna take this brand that people love and you're gonna take your agenda and insert it into this thing, and just think that's okay. Again, It's just a silly movie about space people. I get it. But it's more than that to a lot of people. And by the way, guys like me, older white dudes that were seven and eight years old when Star Wars came out and we'd never seen anything like that before. But you decided it's it's what you want to do. What an ego? What a narcissist? And thank god she finally stepped down, she said, Okay, I'm done, or they made her. I don't know. I think Disney's starting to flip here a little bit because they've jumped the shark so much with social isshoes. It's crazy, why are you inserting that? And some of the shows that are a little they're a little, they're silly. They had this throwback show. It was in the late or it was it, yeah, late eighteenth century, so seventeen seventy whatever, and they and the French aristocrats from seventeen seventy six. It was an Asian married to an African American and I was like, that's not that's not like but the history part of my brain goes, what are you doing? That's not But it's a show. It's like a soap opera, so whatever, let them do what they are. But when you get to the Star Wars. That's just a stupid little series. But when you go to the Star Wars, you go, all right, dude, hands off, what are you doing? And by the way, the people that make fun of Avengers as being stupid, their dialogue, the Avengers dialogue is like othello. Compared to Star Wars, it's awful. I'm telling you, dude, watch the next Star Wars and listen to the simple, stupid answers that they exchange back and forth. It's so stupid, it's so dumb. So thank god. So I pump that on just to get pissed. I guess it's like your social media. Yeah yeah, I yeah, go to Twitter to get pissed. That's what we do. But the movies I love, always loved the movies, So I love going to the movies to this day. The movie theater is cool.
Speaker 2: You're gonna watch the new Final Destination. You into that stuff.
Speaker 1: The Final Destination is that's one of those we can't figure out why. I mean, I know the deaths are hit people gruesome, it's so gruesome. It is the worst fear of everyone. The second one where it's a wreck on the highway, the log truck the log truck and the person's burning alive, and the and then the log comes through and takes someone's head off, and it's the worst possible deaths that you can imagine that we all fear the most. And they keep making them and look fifty one million dollars for the sixth edition of this movie series.
Speaker 2: And I think it had like a ten year hiatus, which is the longest in between movies.
Speaker 1: It was a good concept when it first started. They the kids were going on and over, you know, over to the Europe for a trip, and the plane blows up the key he has the dream, so he sees it happen. Then he wakes up and he's on and he screams and yells, it's just get me off the plane. And a couple of them go with him, and all the ones that go with him off the plane, they watch the plane blow up. He almost goes to jail because they're like, how'd you know the plane was gonna blow up? And then those people die and then then you know, it's it's fun to see him figure out which order it was. Okay, you were sitting here who died first? They were sitting here right.
Speaker 2: And the way that they can save themselves is by killing another person and taking their life span left, which is also very weird.
Speaker 1: That's right, I forgot about that part. Then the third one, they got a little too sexy.
Speaker 2: That was the roller coaster.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that was There's a little too sexy. They had the two hot girls with no clothes on and the tanning booth. But that is that that's the fear of some people going When they shut that door on the tanning booth and it starts to get real hot, you're like, what if this got stuck?
Speaker 2: Could you imagine?
Speaker 1: And then and you turned it all the way up? And how if you were in there for hours? So that that's the fear that they get to people. So those two girls die in the tanning boose because it ends up catching on fire and all that. It's crazy. But I love the movies. Man. The movies are fun. Movies are a little it's a great way. Your phone is off, it's dark, it's cool. You got your popcorn and you're watching a movie. And there's to tell you the truth. If you have nothing to do in the middle of the afternoon and you go by yourself, it's the best. You go to the movies by yourself and there's no one in the theater. No, those are the best, so the movies. So again people are like, well, they don't make it any good movies anymore. Well, they're on Netflix, they're all streaming, because there are some really well written, good movies on those platforms. Apple's got some good movies, Netflix got some good Max has got some good movies, well written stuff. So that's where you can find all that.
Speaker 2: By the way, you know Max is going back to being HBO, No Dwight, and now we're talking about that line.
Speaker 1: No way are they really.
Speaker 2: Can't figure their brand out.
Speaker 1: Oh well, we're all gonna figure out out these subscriptions because I saw the average the other day. They're saying the average is over one thousand a year, and I said that seems high. But I started kind of calculating in my head and I said, man, we might be there for subscriptions. I mean, YouTube TV is what I use for my platform, and it's up to ninety something dollars, So it's one hundred dollars just for the service to have all these ones, right, and then Roku is another choice, another charge. But they make it easy when I want to add it. When I want to add HBO Max or whatever, you just push a button and they just build me on my credit card. I don't have to fill out anything all the you know. But the problem is remembering all of your which email did I use on this? And then what's my password for that? Because your kids will call because my daughter started watching Kansas City football because of Taylor Swift, and she's calling because she's got her laptop and wants to watch Kansas City on the laptop in her dorm room. So I'm trying to remember what's the Netflix, you know, what's the what's the whatever Roku number, or what's the password? And I might have made some of them stupid.
Speaker 2: To share them. We go hack into Tony's.
Speaker 1: The word farts might be in some of the you know the ones that dad made, That's all I'm saying. Yeah, like you you know the ones that Jackie made, and you know the ones that dad made. Now I know that's a dad. That's my dad's code there. This is a perfect day to go to lots of pasta. It is. I mean, it's raining, it's annoying, it's not gonna stop. You're working from home, Just get on the website lots Apasta Louisville dot com. Order up sandwiches and soup and go get it. They'll have it ready when you get there. Hot sandwiches, soup, or just go thirty seven to seventeen Lexington Road in the heart of Saint Matthew's have lunch there. But I'm telling you it's a perfect day. The family's you know, sitting around. You know, summers started here. Get the soups and sandwiches today. Hot sandwiches and soup from lots of Pasta, Clean Clean Living, Lots Ofpasta Louisville dot com. Get on, get on and shop some of those sandwiches. They are ridiculous, all right. I am one and oh at reeling in the years.
Speaker 2: It's right.
Speaker 1: We're gonna come back in about twenty minutes. That's about twenty minutes later, but we'll do a couple of minutes here and come back before we get to the bottom of the hour news and there's plenty there, including I believe John Shannon just told me the Noah Weather radio is down for a day for upgrades, and that is going to annoy people that follow the weather with that rates.
Speaker 2: He's going to Annoa.
Speaker 1: Oh, take three dollars out of the bad joke.
Speaker 2: Jar, here we go.
Speaker 1: I'm giving you an extra dollar because you're a new father. All right, lots of pasta. I just talked about them, Elin and Edland. If you're selling your house one percent commission rate, there's so many Eatland signs. He told me last year. He was like, I'm running out of signs because they had to make more because so many people want to keep the equity in your home right now, the house your price of your house is the heights has ever been. Keep that equity in your pocket. Don't give it to a real estate agent. They're gonna sell your house, dude. They've been around for forty six years. They got it covered. Elin and Edland eight hundred call that number five nine twenty eight hundred. So you're gonna sell my house for one percent. They're going like, yep, that's the deal. Back after this on news Radio eight forty whs.
Speaker 2: You know why I'm playing this song. Why in one of the Final Destination movies that plays right before the one of the people die. Yeah, it's like the death appears or something type of thing.
Speaker 1: Right. Stification of death as an old rock jock, Hey, Kansas again. I haven't been a rock jock in twenty something years, but we played this damsel Kansas again. I liked it at the time. I think it's just when you play it every hour, you're like, okay, dust in the wind A good man though, for sure, all right, we're gonna we're rolling through today again. We're encouraging people to slow down, get ready for the rain all day long. It's just gonna be annoying. And keep keep your eye on the news. That's what we do here, is news and weather. If you're no a radio is down, we'll have it for you. Our problem is when we do a show here, we are not controlled. We cannot control the National Weather Service, so when they take our station and they give you a warning, we don't know what happens. So sometimes you'll miss an entire segment because that's what we do. And of course we'll have the best updates at the bottom of the top of the hour. We got you covered on all that, right, So they're they're prepared, lmpds prepared, MS prepared and all that. But we don't have any serious weather coming this way. We're just gonna rain. It's well a lot of this rain is just gonna dump on these folks that have the issues now where they're just their whole towns are gone and you're just gonna get rained on a lot. Could cause some plumbing, all right. I just saw that story whereas it one thousand dollars a year. I looked it up in the break Adults are paying one thousand and eighty dollars per per year for subscriptions. Uh, that has sixty one percent second guessing their subscriptions spending. Here's what I want to do. I see those commercials for the app that says, you know, give us your information. Push the app, and we'll tell you how many script subscriptions you're double pained for or whatever, or the ones that you don't even know you're paying for because they sneak by when they're like seven dollars, you miss it. So I'm afraid though, to give them all my information. Is that fair enough?
Speaker 2: Is that fair?
Speaker 1: I'm like, oh, I want that, And then I'm like, I give them access to everything. The most popular ones obviously the streaming services, but Amazon Prime the music is part of that because people forget, oh, they think it's just Netflix. No. I also have music. All my kids have their music, and that's really the best buy. It's like ten dollars a month. iHeartRadio is just that you buy. It's like ten dollars a month. You have every song ever produced. It's crazy in your pocket. All right, we're gonna take a short break. We're gonna come back in just a couple of minutes, and we're gonna do really in the years. I want to know what did I guess yesterday seventy four? Yes it was nineteen seventy four. John will play songs that charted today. I guess what year it is? Back after this, But first I want to remind you about Carriage Ford. Go to carriageford dot com right now. A plan for everyone that means you pay what people at work at Ford pay. That's why all these and trucks are going off the lot right now at Carriage Forward. Go see my buddy Marty buck a Carriage Forward, Lewis and Clark parkway back after this our news radio eight forty whas.
Speaker 2: All right?
Speaker 1: So they have these clothing optional, bike rides, five k's and all this stuff all the time. They got another one it's called the five k in South Carolina, it's called the Da Da Da Da, the annual appropriately Buck Creek Streak.
Speaker 2: It's a great name, it really is.
Speaker 1: So five k's June fourteenth. If you want to participate, they already have one hundred and sixty one people signed up. Here's the thing, you know, who runs without clothes? Dudes? Women don't. Anytime they have these races, it's like it's nine hundred dudes and like four girls. Girls don't sign I know for naked runs. Okay, first of all, it doesn't. You know, it's uncomfortable, but it's all dudes. I'd like you know again, if you want to look up the Buck Creek Streak and see if there's any pictures on the internet. I we're going to guess that it's all dudes. But that's what these and some colleges universities have the underwear run. Even in the underwear run, it's all dudes.
Speaker 2: Don't They usually do those like in the winter time?
Speaker 1: They do? They do they do. I think that's part of the charm. They're all drunk. It's a college campus. You wouldn't do it sober. Right. This story is not obvious to me because it's the opposite of me, which is this new study In Australia. Research has spent four years working on a study to determine the benefits from working from home. They say the majority of people love working from home, and they insinuate no dub. At the end of the article, it says, go figure, well that's not me. I don't want to be home. I thought I thought COVID was awful. I mean, I was screaming at my own boss on the phone. Put us back in the studio. I did not want to do the show for my house. My wife is bounced back and forth. She's happier in an office. There's no question you go crazy at the house. I couldn't do it. I could not sit at the house all day. What about you.
Speaker 2: I feel like if I had any job other than this, yeah, basically anything in the entertainment business, I'd want to work from home. So I get why people enjoy it, but I wouldn't want to do radio from the house.
Speaker 1: If you have a toddler, makes sense. We enjoyed that for a couple of years. Jackie worked out of the house and the kids were young, and it worked out for us, even though they went off to you know, preschool and we're all that stuff, but still was better because you were flexible enough that you could go get in with there were sick or if you're John Vinetti and you're four and you fall and crack your head on the table and slice your ear completely in half. Oh gosh, yeah, I was prepared for that. I showed up and there were three nuns standing around John and I said, and they're like, well, we want to prepare you before I take the tissue off his ear. And I was like okay, And it was like the entire ear was split in half.
Speaker 2: See, that's the thing I think about now. I've got a five week old and obviously nothing bad has happened, and I sit there and look at her. Sometimes I'm like, you're going to get into trouble someday, and I'm not going to know what it is. I don't know how I'm going to respond. Yeah, but you're going to scare the hell out of me eventually.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there's there's definitely well. And by the way, and by the way, John was eating a cookie. He was just like, hey dad, so.
Speaker 2: The most innocent of things.
Speaker 1: It is so cute. But he just fell in the corner the round table that they have in preschool. He caught it with his ear on this big fat bucket. Heead and cut his ear in half. Stitches done, and take him to the hospital. But you will, you say you're gonna raise your kids equally or not equally, but the same as a lie. If your boy falls down, we all like, get up. No one's coming over to pick you up. Get up. You're okay with little girls, man, it's just like they hit their lip and you have your hand on their chin, like, oh, are you okay? Let me get somebodce. Are you okay? You know? You just I.
Speaker 2: Get John see you with Maggie and be like you didn't care about me that much.
Speaker 1: He never brought that up, okay, A sweet kid. John was one of those kids that would open help her, open up her presence for he even opened up when it is it's so nice, crazy, but you will. I had a thing to where I wouldn't help John up. Like if you fell, people were like, go over to pick him up, and I go, ah, he gets up. You got to get up, And partly because he fell all the damn time, and now I was gonna wear myself out if I picked him up. But you could I just I treated him differently. I raised them differently. They're two different kids. If you ever coached, you know who you have to encourage, and you know you have to yell at. Some kids still respond, Hey, counselors over here, I'm a horrible person. Some kids still respond to negative reinforcement. You played terrible today. It works on some kids. Or if you're you haven't coached yet, I'm telling you it's the best. It is just like raising kids. You know which ones you have to caddle. Hey, you did great. No I didn't. I'm terrible. No, you were great, you were did that thing? You were great? And then the ones you were just like, hey man, we're losing because of you get to get it, and they they respond to that. They get on the field and they do ten times better because they've been told he's right. But you got to know which ones right to do that. And that's parenting. It's not you can't look I who raised them equally, and they all have the exact same and and I treat them the same, and we all have them. No you don't, Hey, you terrible parent. If you do, I'm sorry. You raise them different because they're different people and they respond differently to different stuff, and uh, that's the way you do both sides. And I think it would help you to coach. So when she gets old enough, she gets old enough to and you're gonna have if you still have this job, you'll you'll have time in the day to go to practice, that's true, and you'll coach. And let me tell you something. You don't have to know anything about soccer to coach. At the why coach at the why put your kid on that little four year old, stupid four year old five team? Which they don't remember. They don't remember a thing. It's funny what they remember. Some of the most spectacular things John did on a wrestling match. He's like, I would tell him about it. He go, I did that. We remember that and I thought it was the craziest day of all. You don't even remember it. It's funny what they do remember. It's in there, the information's in there, the lessons are in there, but that it's funny what they remember. And the parents, by the way, care way more about it than the kids. Five seconds after the game, they don't care. You lost by twelve goals. Eh, Well, we going to pizza hut. They don't care. You know who's pissed the parents That coach is terrible. It's four year old soccer, dude. I don't know.
Speaker 2: That's another thing too. It feels like with any level of sports nowadays, the level in which the parents are overtly involved, it's getting younger and younger and younger and more out of hand to the younger than younger. You go, I can't even imagine what if my daughter plays sports. Yeah, I can't imagine what the parental seem to know.
Speaker 1: Like I showed up first day for John's four year old soccer, which again it's like hurting cats. One of the mothers was like, so, did you play college soccer? And I was like, nope, did you play high school soccer? I was like no, this is a voluntary four year old soccer coach. They need people to do the four hundred teams that you have out here. So that's why I'm here because I want to spend time with my son and then your little craphead son. But you get him to do you teach him the basics. It's soccer is not hard, dude. It's not a hard sport to coach, right, use the inside of your foot, dribble the ball, shoot it in the basket or into the net, into the net.
Speaker 2: I met that parent loved you when you said that, Oh.
Speaker 1: I didn't care. I do you know? At first you try to please, and then you're just you don't care, You just And then what really learned when I got got into older sports. We had a coach at the beginning of the season that would put all the balls in the bag and then he would run to his car, get in the car, and take off. There was no hanging out, and I was like, why is why it's Tommy leaving? I figured out later because that's when parents start to wander over to you. Hey, you know playing time position? Hey, why is my kid not playing linebacker? Well, because he's fat and slow, he's a guard. I feel like you almost have to be that abrasive with him. I'll still continue to come to you and walk all over Now. I guess the alternative is that they report you to whoever is in charge of hiring you as the coach if they don't like what you're saying. But it was long enough ago that that I did say that to a parents. Because he's fat and slow, he's a guard.
Speaker 2: I feel like in football you should be able to say that no matter what it really does.
Speaker 1: And let me tell you something, the cuss words and all that. Once it gets into like sixth grade of that sport. Oo, it gets there, the kids are saying it it's a violent sport, but it's fun. It was the best run I ever had. It was so much fun. But yeah, you gotta you the good coach. Yeah, some people can let him down easy. But I now understand why that coach because he coached for like thirty years. He ran to his car and got in his car and left, and I was like, wait a minute, that means something. Yeah, because he knew their parents are going to wander over. But again there was we would try to hide kids on the field. We get him on the field somehow, but you hide them so they don't get hurt, and then you encourage him as they come off. But your star player is getting his ass whooped. You got to look at him in the eye and go, you're embarrassing everyone. Is your dad here? I hope your dad's not here to see this. I said that to a kid once, and I think you got three sacks in the next two series. All right, So I, okay, you worked. He got it. He got it. Coaching is a lot like raising kids. You just gotta know which one is which, when to caddle. Look if you if you're rough on him, you gotta you gotta to hug him as much as you yell at him. So that's my philosophy. Worked out pretty well. John's okay, did pretty good, pretty good job. All right, so we're gonna take a short brank. We're already through two hours. People were texting me yesterday after the conversation with Paul rid Jewalski on the bus crash. It was very intense, it was very cool. It was he remembers every detail, is the prosecutor, and it was just crazy. I want to read this DM. I got the young the lady, the eighty two year old that said she was divorced at that time and remembers when she could not get a drink in a bar because we brought up in the stock and we'll bring it up again at the top of the hour. She said. Back in the sixties, there was a book called the Divorces Handbook. It's dressed to never date guy, a guy who couldn't afford to pay for a babysitter as they wouldn't be able to afford you, and the number one get a job where you would meet men. That was part of the Divorces and Book because there were so few divorces. Nobody was divorced. Had when I was in sixth grade, there was sixth grade there was one kid that had a divorced family. We're like, your parents are divorced. Was that even mean they live in a different house? Of course? That was nineteen whatever, seventy something. All right, back after this short break, Bargains Supply, we're doing a remodel, so all new appliances in the kitchen. Man from the refrigerator and my wife chose on ice all day long, so we got the big bad Mamma jam a huge ice maker, not the one that goes on your shelf, but the built in to the cabinets huge ice maker. We went all and the microwave now is in a drawer. You push a button and it comes out from the island in the It's all new to me. I've always had a crappy kitchen, so we're getting all this new stuff, and Bargains Supply took care of everything. They had a million questions or my wife had a million questions. They answered them all. They have so many different designs for all these appliances. It's crazy, from Italy to America. Doesn't matter all these different ones. You go to the box stores, you're not getting that options and you're not getting that research and information. Go with bargains supply East Jefferson Street plus scratching Dan. They got a couple of those two East Jefferson Street and the Lulu Area. They have their own parking lot and tell the ladies at the front desk, I you said hi. All right back after this our news radio eight forty WHA is