Speaker 1: Hello, everyone, Welcome back to the fire Escape Cast. It is episode eighty nine. I think I'm your host as always, Michael Maharty here once again with Mary kesh Hi and returning to us after a long absence many travels around the world. It was one episode. He's back at Stan Reichert.
Speaker 2: All the stars are here. We've all assembled again. Do we only miss one where we all together two episodes ago?
Speaker 3: Uh?
Speaker 2: Cause we almost had to miss this one, but this out I can't remember.
Speaker 4: They're a minute. I've been I've been active. I feel like I've been present. I missed one episode, like in early summer because I was at Twitch Con in Europe. But I'm pretty good and I'm glad I was. We almost missed this week because I have so much family in town, but y'all moved your schedules around for me, which I.
Speaker 1: We're doing the same was coming weekend. This is the first time I'll be coming to Portland, not by myself in the middle of the night to stare through your window with a knife. It's gonna be really fun.
Speaker 4: I'm really excited you guys are both coming. It's a really cool time to be in Portland and coming is he We are gonna have Jake so to avoid him. Yeah.
Speaker 2: God, we were just talking about how much we don't like him air. Yeah, we're trying to Decker.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Jake dot Org an organization for us to talk about the sweetest boy in the whole world that we don't like, Jake Decker. I've never done anything wrong in his life.
Speaker 1: He killed that.
Speaker 4: We don't talk.
Speaker 1: About Jake cut that cut, that cut that proud boys.
Speaker 2: But he's a nice guy.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he's a he's a big conspiracy guy as well.
Speaker 2: Oh but like the like dangerous ones ye yeah, yeah, not like the Cooper cut, the moon Land and stuff. It's like he's like dangerous conspiracy theorist.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, So that's Jake. If you want to learn more about him, gonna fuck Jake dot Org.
Speaker 4: We haven't bought it yet.
Speaker 2: We need to buy Jake dot.
Speaker 1: Org goes up. We need to get Fuckjake dot Org and put a photoshop photo of him with a rocket launcher pointed at a hospital a jo. Yeah. Yeah, we'll be in Parland for a couple of nights. Gonna be fun my first time.
Speaker 5: Really, it's lovely.
Speaker 4: You're gonna enjoy it. I'm gonna take you to some iconic places and we can talk about them on the next EPI. But I'm gonna take you, uh in theory, provided like everybody's everything, everybody's on time, and everything goes well, You're going to see some vistas and I'm going to take you to some waterfalls too.
Speaker 5: Oh really, that's awesome, hell y, And we don't even I love this.
Speaker 2: We can just show up and then you just take us wherever and we don't have to worry about planning anything.
Speaker 4: That's I took care of it. I took care of the boys because I feel like if you're getting your butts here, especially you Dan, after all this travel internationally. You just got back from packs, you are tired, So you get here with vistas, I got you. Yeah, vistas and drinkies open bar.
Speaker 2: Oh yes, yes, perfect. This is like kind of the end of like my travel gauntlet. So honestly, the timing is perfect because it's been every weekend the summer since my surgery and this is the last one of the consecutive weekends to just go hang out with you, have some drinks and look at vistas.
Speaker 4: Yay, come hang out with me and vistas.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: You have jakes there.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you takes there. I'm just tell him Dan that it's the beginning of my travel gauntlets. So we're looking forward to like being outdoors and relaxing and hanging out with friends.
Speaker 2: You got it's going to be a crisp ninety degrees.
Speaker 5: Yeah, so fuck.
Speaker 4: I don't understand it. It's really weird, like a weird hot hot pocket situation. The heat, Like I believe they're called heat domes, but I like calling them hot pockets hot pockets for fun.
Speaker 1: Left the hot pocket leapt straight from New York to Portland, and I'm following it. I can't wait.
Speaker 4: I love the heat. But yeah, for Australians, it's not bad at all. There's a bunch of Australians in town and it's usually like one hundred and ten degrees in Australia. Australia, their summers are brutal, Like is it like Vegas dry heat or is it humid in one hundred and ten It can be humid too.
Speaker 5: That that sounds terrible.
Speaker 1: Australia gets like every kind of weather. They're the size the United States is. Oh, it's farther south, so it's not just.
Speaker 4: Drop out of the sky.
Speaker 1: Its just Meltingeez travels in first time in Germany? Correct, yes, yes, did you stick in Cologne? Did you get anywhere else?
Speaker 2: I flew into Dusseldorf and then went to Colone But yes, Spence, yeah I think so, yeah, and spent like that was the fastest uber right I've ever had from the airport. I think it was technically the Autobahn and that guy he was I tried to look at the knob thing on the dash, but it was in crazy kilometers. Yeah yeah, but it was in like kilometers, so I didn't know what the fuck it meant. But it felt very fast. But yeah, we just stuck in Cologne and drank a lot of kolshes ate a lot of meat.
Speaker 5: Did take about the saga of dj ass Tits No.
Speaker 4: I saw a picture of dj ass Tits of game.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, okay. I think the video should be up on Giant Bomb by the time this goes up. But there's a whole saga with dj ass hits and give us the tldry because.
Speaker 1: I'm not going to watch it. I just want to know what happened.
Speaker 2: Basically, we saw a sign that said dj as watching all that. I found her on Instagram a message her being like, Hey, we're at a video game website. We love your name. We're in Cologne. Do you want to do a cameo in a video we're shooting about being in games Com And she said yes. So we met up with dj ass Tits. She was an absolute delight and she did a little cameo for the end of our Giant Bomb video.
Speaker 4: It was nice, lady.
Speaker 2: Yes, yes, so big dj ass Tits fans over here. Now.
Speaker 1: I like that Giant Bomb is building up its own like Channel five roster of characters. Oh yeah, that you just find in the world.
Speaker 2: I love that. I love it. It's like, you know, Letterman once found the guys at the bodega next door. He MOODI burns Syergil and had them be his like Olympics correspondence. Like I've always loved that. Like, let's just find a random person, like bring them into the fold, and you know, as long as they're interesting, nice people. And dj assd Tits is interesting and nice. So yes, friend of Giant Bomb for sure.
Speaker 4: Yes, a friend of Giant Bomb dj asss. It reminds me this was ages ago, but I remember vividly me and Rob handleary at an E three there was a DJ with just really big boobies DJing with their little MacBook and we were being a little bastards and we were like, I wonder what her name is. We were like, we bet it's DJ fun Bags. And then we came up with a persona for DJ fun Bags and she would always just be like, hi, everyone, put your hands in the r and grab your decks. DJ fun Bags is gotting. It started I'm about a hat's bass bar and we would just say we would just like kind of little bastards about it. But anyway, she took it in good fun. She didn't know about it. We were just.
Speaker 2: You probably have not heard the Mike Manatti English story, have you. I'll give you the TLDR on this as well for anyone who may have heard this. But on the first night that went, I was flying in but Jane Bailey and Cologne. So Jan and Bailey had gone out to get food with Manati and they're asking about recommendations. The guys like, oh, you got to go to this bar. This is the best bar. So they go to this bar afterwards and it's very busy. They're doing trivia and German as they walk in, and the lady behind the bar is like trying to wave them over, like, hey, you're drinks over here, not over there. But Manati for some reason, thought she was asking if they spoke English or German or Dutch, and so she's going, hey, stand over here, stand over here in German, and Manati just goes English in the middle. Everyone all the bar backs. Everyone turned immediately and like their eyebrows went up. Jan and Bailey just one eightied and walked out of the bar, barked English at this woman speaking of German.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and from my experience in Cologne during games come Cologne very nice people. However, bear in mind that like once a year, gamers from all over Europe and the world descend, so they can understandably be a bit touchy when like you're just in posing your americanness on them or English whatever.
Speaker 2: An accident, So that makes it even funnier.
Speaker 1: Also, I like, I could just hear it in Mike Manatti's voice and I would be.
Speaker 4: Like what.
Speaker 2: And he thought they were gonna stay in order beers, but Janna Bailey would not be seen in that bar after that.
Speaker 4: I would be out of there so fast. That's so embarrassing. I would have uh yeah, I would have anxiety passively Manati.
Speaker 2: That happens a lot when you're around Manati. But it's all in good fun. He's a nice boy.
Speaker 4: Did what happened?
Speaker 2: No, he just turned around. You didn't see. Janna Bailey's like, oh, I guess we're not getting beers here.
Speaker 1: Like a man walked in during trivia shouted English, yeah, and.
Speaker 2: Some got pissed him and then they all left. Yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah, oh that was so sad. But I was embarrassed. I knew what I had done. Did Manatt even know?
Speaker 2: No, he's he's very unaware of a lot of the stuff he does again in a very very nice way. But but yeah, I've heard I can be like that too. I feel like seeing Manati in a lot of circumstances, I am understanding more what people have experienced being out with me and things like that of me just being oblivious two things. Yeah, yeah, but no, he's he's a great guy.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you and Manati out by yourselves, that's like you need a straight man there for that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, jan and Bailey were the adults for sure, with me a Minati, but the actual show flower and everything. Yes, the show floor was just like, you know, I've done a million eight threes, but this was very different. I don't know what I expected. I always heard about how it was packed and everything, but like there were like eleven plus halls and a lot of them are like, you know, four point one is the lower floor and four point two is the upper floor, and it's just the sea of humanity on the public days where it's just fucking impossible to get around, like it was. It was a lot of fun, but it was staggeringly big. I was. I was not expecting how how big this convention was.
Speaker 1: What's the most surprising thing about like everyday German life that you noticed?
Speaker 2: You know, it was fairly easy to like, you know, everyone kind of spoke English, so there weren't Oh, the fucking public transportation was the easiest thing in the world.
Speaker 5: It just takes you everywhere.
Speaker 2: It was confusingly, it seemed free, like we were trying to pay and didn't even see places to pay. Somebody told me it was free, but then it was very confusing. They gave us tickets from games Colm to like, I don't understand it works, but.
Speaker 1: It seems to be a good system. Games comp ticket like comps a certain number of rides. Okay, very served at least when I went, Oh.
Speaker 2: Here's the thing that surprised me the most. So I was looking forward to having a bunch of pretzels and cheese there because that seemed like a thing in England or Germany. And they have cheese pretzels, but they're all this weird style where they're hanging on hooks and it's like it's like they melted a bunch of cheese over it and just let it dry and then they stick it up. I wanted the biggest pretzel with the biggest thing a beer cheese dip or something. It was still good, but it was like we're just having like flat cold cheese all over the pretzel, you know.
Speaker 1: Huh. I wonder if that's a uh just a like German wide thing or a cologne thing.
Speaker 4: You might have been in like a more of a like an authentic orza because I did a pizza from a sorry pizza. I did a pretzel from a vendor and it came with dunker.
Speaker 2: Oh dunker cheese.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so I think you just you got it in a different way.
Speaker 2: But four places that had the cheese thing, yeah, flat one.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it was imagining dan as actually just at a dry cleaner's eat pulling eating suits off the rack as.
Speaker 2: That might have been my problem. Yeah, and he's.
Speaker 4: Running up to people going I need dunkers. Yeah, don't you have any dunkers. There was a couple of things that surprised me about did you see anybody wearing they had Like there's like a thing where people wear like a giant cookie in a heart on their neck. No, and you're not supposed to eat it.
Speaker 5: It's like a decorative but it's like a real cookie.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but I think it's meant to be decorative.
Speaker 2: Don't like flies eat it and stuff. I don't know, huh.
Speaker 4: We had very different German experiences because I got dunkers and I saw people wearing cookies and you had a dry pretzel and no dunkers.
Speaker 1: It was good.
Speaker 2: I'm not complaining, like you know, the meat and everything was good overall. I think I like the food in England more what.
Speaker 4: Nobody ever fucking says that nobody's ever said that the food in England is better than the food in Germany. Out of your mind.
Speaker 2: I pared the reputation with England, but like the stuff I had. They're the best meal I had and all these trips he eup I've had in the last few weeks. Was me and Manati went to a little pub in Brentford and had fish and chips and guinness. The most stereotypical British shit ever, but it was easily the best fish and chips I've ever had.
Speaker 1: It was okay amazing, So yeah, fish and chips is definitely really good at England, Did you have anything else?
Speaker 2: I went to Nando's because I always heard about that being like a good chain, like Perry Perry Chicken thing, and it was very good I had. You know, I'm not a huge coffee guy. I just kind of have like an espresso little pods in the morning. But this was like the first time I've had coffee at something Queen's Mayfair and England where it's like holy shit, Like like the taste of the coffee was like, oh, this is not a utilitarian I'm waking up in the morning thing. This is like this tastes amazing.
Speaker 1: So in America we have like known for a coffee obsession in America.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but I don't really know where to like I go to Cariboo if I'm going out, I don't know if that's nation that's.
Speaker 1: A big fairly I know, but it's.
Speaker 2: It's all good like Caribou, Starbucks all that, so you can get good stuff, but like this is this is strikingly good yet Caribou.
Speaker 1: You're just naming the American chains. But we also have, like we have boutique coffee spots. I guarantee you Minneapolis has many of them, like around every corner.
Speaker 5: We probably do. I guess I've never looked for a coffee place.
Speaker 1: But that's good that you like English food, because I will say England like has great restaurants, but most of the ones I've been to are not like English style food. It's like I don't know any number of different restaurant styles that are they're doing.
Speaker 5: There the best ice cream've ever what kind of what was?
Speaker 1: What was good about it?
Speaker 2: Just it was it was a bit bisc off and honeycomb was one of the flavors. So every night I went there and I got a biscoff and honeycomb scoop and one other scoop that was incredible. Also Europe in general, I found this in Germany, England and Iceland. Fucking Maum. Do you know Maum m ao a m No. It's this candy that comes in all sorts of different forms. There's like fun sticks, there's like little like uh the little pads. There's a pinballs that come in pinball form, and they all it's like Starbars is my favorite candy ever. And this is like if Starbars had a bunch more flavors and came in different fund shapes and they were better.
Speaker 1: We brought these back from France. The wild red berries, the chewy. We have some of these in our jar right now because we're saving them. They're like they look like gum drops, but they're those might oh okay ym red fruit berries and they're covered in like a like sugary kind of substance.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Oh they're awesome. I agree.
Speaker 2: Yes, all of the other the joysticks, the stripes, the party mix, the mix. Uh, this is the this is like my favorite candy period now. So like I just load up my bag with Maum when I'm coming home from Europe now.
Speaker 1: But yeah, god, it's not like one candy. That's the company that owns a bunch of different candies.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but all their shit is awesome and it's all that kind of like fruity Starburst style. Can I get this on Amazon?
Speaker 1: Oh?
Speaker 2: Yeah, anyone?
Speaker 1: And doesn't Harrobo own it? Yeah?
Speaker 2: Maybe? Okay, Europe people listening to this, it's just send me a ship ton of maum.
Speaker 1: Maw wait wait I like saying it, like, yeah so. Maum is a brand of sweets produced by the German confectionery company Harribo.
Speaker 2: Oh okay, Well that's the thing is, I don't love Harrobo because it's all like gummy stuff and I'm not a big gummy bear guy. I don't like the textra gummy beers. I like that Starburst.
Speaker 1: I think like the gummy Bears have become synonymous with Haribo, at least in America. Yeah. Yeah, it's a big company. It's like, don't.
Speaker 2: Dislike gummy bears, but it's like I don't ever seek them out, whereas like Maum and Starburst, I seek out and I've just been going ape shit on those since I got back.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the RedBerry things are awesome and we had a lot of You have ever had these?
Speaker 5: You gotta get some molm You're always in Europe.
Speaker 4: I got to have my mouth.
Speaker 2: Get yourself. It's got a mouth sponsorship.
Speaker 1: Dan's gonna wake up in the middle of the night tonight. You're just walking to a German bar one day and shout mouth and then leave without ordering anything. Man.
Speaker 2: I got a bunch of like artisanal, awesome cheese in Germany, brought it home. It was fucking great. Like I loved some good ass cheese and bought a big block of it. Travels fine.
Speaker 5: Yeah, Europe's cool.
Speaker 2: I like it. I'm into it.
Speaker 1: Well, how is this cheese wrapped? Like? Was it like plat wheel?
Speaker 2: It was like a wedge and then it was like vacuum field.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I had like a label on it.
Speaker 1: Okay, that makes sense. I still like the I just like the idea of you traveling with cheese.
Speaker 2: Well, I bought some in England, but they just wrapped it up in paper that wasn't airtight, and so I didn't think it would travel without stinking up all my clothes. So I just ate like a block of cheese in my hotel room at like two in the morning when I couldn't sleep.
Speaker 4: Cheese too much cheese before a big flight.
Speaker 2: About my body's used to cheese. It's it's like a block. Before I got on that flight, when I.
Speaker 1: Was about the people near you, not you, Oh, farting style anything.
Speaker 2: Oh, I didn't fart on the plane, that's when you got fire.
Speaker 4: Never would ever believe anyone who says that, ever, I didn't fart on that plane.
Speaker 2: I fart plenty, but I have some decorum in my old age, and I will not fart on a plane. I didn't. Maybe maybe if it's feeling a little dicey, I might let one go in the bathroom. Oh, I fart in the bathroom, that's fair game in theres in the bathroom. Yeah, I'll fart up that bathroom, but I'm not doing it. Sit in my seat. What if you're in the window, in the window.
Speaker 4: The window off the window seats.
Speaker 2: In person all. I haven't had a window seat in fifteen years. But I no, At no point in the cabin would I fart.
Speaker 1: Uh Wait, have I told you my fart on a plane story? I must have. This is probably like episode twelve material. I did the thing, you know, when I didn't have a pillow or anything, and I had fallen asleep, and you know how when your head falls, your bodies like goes into shock, where I like jolted awake and it wasn't just that, like my whole upper body kind of went upright, like I it scared me so much that like my legs came off the floor. So I farted not And it was a red eye, so pitch black, which makes it relatively better. I would say, like see to fart, but I'm trying to just figure out how to describe the It wasn't loud, but it was crystal.
Speaker 5: Clear of a fart cut through the air.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So of course I start like looking around subtly to see who noticed. And there's a lot of people were asleep, but there was someone watching con air across across the aisle and like on the in the middle seat who was like leaning past the person the aisle to look at me. And they weren't smiling. They didn't. It wasn't a knowing look. I don't. I truly have never seen a more neutral face. And then I went back to I forgot what I was watching. But yeah, that's I need a pillow so I don't fart again. Because it was also like twenty fifteen or something.
Speaker 2: Nice.
Speaker 1: Well, that's cool, glad your European travels were fruitful.
Speaker 2: Yes, they're quite good. I might be going to be going to another continent here in the near future, but working that Nice Yeah this month, so we'll see.
Speaker 1: Yeah where We'll be be Portland this weekend and then I think I'm doing a quick la leg late September, and then Hawaii for the first time, also around Australians.
Speaker 2: Nice.
Speaker 1: We're gonna go to Kawhi for a destination wedding for a couple of our good friends and he's Australian and Hawaii. He's exactly halfway between New York and Sydney where most of them are from. Nice and that's also our anniversary week, so we're going a few days early because we're at a super nice resort. We're gonna do some hiking. Kawhai is supposedly like the more rustic island, like, not as active as other ones, not as to receive from what we've heard, but there's a lot of good hiking. I think the uh. I got to look up the name of the famous trail that I'm forgetting but looking forward to that Oregon, yes, and then the week after that we're down to DC. And then that's not counting two europe two European trips and a Canadian trip for me for work boy.
Speaker 2: It's a good thing we decided on this podcast being every other week. That would have been pretty fucking hard.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I think it would be almost impossible with our schedules. I'll be in San Diego in two weeks for twitch con so and then I think I just have a couple like more more basic trips, maybe like to suf or something like that, but you never know, like things pop up.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we should also probably give the disclaimer since we did just mention that, like all the fire escape is going to be in Portland, if you were worried about hearing like about a meetup or in person stuff. Just want to make sure we're setting expectations. It's not a content fire escape thing we're doing. It's a it's for a personal thing, So I don't expect we love doing it personal stuff in person stuff, but we personally we.
Speaker 1: Really enjoy impersonal bars for meetups and then just nag them the whole time.
Speaker 4: Yeah, from us, we will probably will definitely do a selfie though. But my favorite was when we got together last year for Mike's big wedding. MiG was like, let's do the thing where we photoshop Marion and I was like, but it's your wedding, and you were like, get over there and we'll take a photo together. And I was like, no, I like made shots in the photo because I was like, no matter how funny this gag is, I'll be pissed if I'm not in this photo.
Speaker 1: Yeah, especially when everybody's like dressed up.
Speaker 2: Next in person. Actual like fire escape thing would probably be the game of the year. We're doing that here.
Speaker 4: We haven't decided I'm up.
Speaker 2: To host again, but we can talk about it. But I'm up for whatever.
Speaker 4: It's fun at your house, but about it.
Speaker 2: I got some new places I could show you guys too.
Speaker 4: So what do you mean it's the same fucking house.
Speaker 2: In the city. You found some weird Yeah, I've got like an upside down Castlevania castle that I added on.
Speaker 1: The shadow world of his house.
Speaker 4: Bathroom.
Speaker 2: Yeah, pull on this statue head and the wall will rotating.
Speaker 1: It's just a house of leaves happening inside his house.
Speaker 4: And there's like a closet with a gimp in it.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: That will be ready by the time you guys are.
Speaker 1: He finished Janitor next to a huge tree. Yeah. So it's busy, busy fall but looking forward to kicking it off in Portland, Mary I saw Alien Romulus. We both did so damn Yeah. When you were gone, Mary was talking it up.
Speaker 5: Oh really, really so did.
Speaker 4: I did talk this movie up.
Speaker 1: That That also did spark me rewatching several alien movies and replaying a few alien related games, which I'll talk about down the episode. But I if I had to place this movie in the franchise, including all the directors like ranking Wise, and bear in mind, I'm a sicco who actually really liked Alien Covenant, so take this, I would put Romulus at like a firm middle or right above middle, considering, you know, like there's some stinkers there. I liked it. I thought it was entertaining. I thought it was once things started going, I was like, all right, now, it's like it feels like there's some good movie making happening. And I also started to like several of the characters much more. I also felt like it spent way too much time calling back to the first movie, which I get chronologically it takes place right after the first movie that's going to happen, But there are certain things that weren't really like organic callbacks. They were like, hey, knowing winks to the audience, and I was like, I didn't know that.
Speaker 2: Game overman when they were playing the video game.
Speaker 1: That was.
Speaker 2: Much.
Speaker 1: There's the there the most famous line from the first movie or is it alien? Sorry? Get away from her? You bitch that? Yeah? Yeah, spot where it didn't really make sense, but a.
Speaker 2: Few of them are kind of forced. Like I want to say, I did overall like it. I gave it three out of five on the letterbox. I thought it was good. That's a good three is a good score. Three as I liked The Twisters got three and a half. This got three.
Speaker 4: This is way better than Twister Twister.
Speaker 3: They're good.
Speaker 5: They're both good. No, I'm pro Alien Romulus.
Speaker 2: Uh too.
Speaker 5: One thing that did actually bug me? How spoilery?
Speaker 2: Can we get here? Bug me?
Speaker 4: Not too?
Speaker 2: Okay, then I'll just say this generally. I think you'll know what I'm talking about. There was a recurring CGI thing that felt unnecessary and weird in a movie where everything looked really good. I left the vibe of it. Yeah, there was, yeah, but then there was one thing that stood out like a sore thumb, and I thought it was very avoidable. I think you didn't even necessarily need to do that. I don't think the way they did it added to any part of the story. It didn't have to be this way. I'm trying not spoil anything, but like you know what I'm talking about. It it's an effect that is distracting and repeated throughout you.
Speaker 1: I mean, you can say, like they have to call back to a movie, that's how what year was Alien seventy seven?
Speaker 2: Yeah, but they're trying to call back, calling back to the appearance of a character when it wasn't necessary because the thing we're looking at in this movie is not even supposed to be the same thing we looked at in the old one.
Speaker 5: So it was like it didn't even need to look like that person.
Speaker 4: You know, it's unnecessary, That's what I'm saying.
Speaker 2: It look completely completely avoidable, and I did find it weird and distracting, but I mean, look that alone wouldn't have like ruined a movie or anything. I thought this is solid. I think the end I thought was really cool, Like the last like twenty twenty five minutes, I thought there's some.
Speaker 4: Really cool twenty minutes. I've freaked out.
Speaker 2: It's cool. Yeah, and then there's like a really cool like, for lack of a better term, like a set piece where there there's certain things in play that I thought were really unique and cool. Yeah. No, I liked it.
Speaker 1: I've really enjoyed how it It reminded me of The Force Awakens in the sense that there was some really cool mirroring stuff it was doing with the movies that it's really you know, paying homage to or I guess like really strongly calling back to. I could have done with like a few fewer of the Winks, but it was very entertaining. And again I placed that like right above the middle of the quality of the series.
Speaker 2: For me, I put one, two, and maybe three over it, But I think this, I put this above Resurrection, put it above prometheas you put it about Alien fors preada there certainly. Yeah, so yeah, I'd say high middle for me too.
Speaker 1: I put those over. I don't know about three, but I'd put Covenant over it. Prometheus is like my least favorite.
Speaker 2: I've been meaning to rewatch three Bonk and I watched one and two in recent years but then never got around a three. But I remember thinking it was like bold in a way, like you know, Fincher making some real decisions, especially with the end that pissed off a lot of people. I remember thinking that was kind of a cool, bold thing back when I saw it, but I was a kid.
Speaker 1: I like, maybe yearly rewatch one, and every time I watch it, it is one of the few movies that I it genuinely gets better. Every time I watched that. I realized that almost inevitably's gonna sound like hyperbole, but it really does, Like no, because you're right between those watches, you're watching so many other movies that, like the first ten minutes of Alien are just it's quiet shots of hallways and like really good set design and such natural conversation building up to this horrific fucking thing that happens that half the actors didn't even know was gonna happen. It's just one of the more like every time I rewatch it, I'm like, I don't think I've seen a movie in the last year. Since I rewatched Alien last year that has nowed a sense of place and a set of characters and believable human reactions yep to horrific shit in the last year. Like it's become my metric of what a good movie is, and only a few movies between each rewatch are like, oh right, this, yeah, this was really good, and.
Speaker 2: You put it in the context of nineteen seventy seven and what other movies are doing at the time, and there's just nothing like this. It's a yeah, I'm right there with the Mike Bunk and I watched it again like within the last year, and it's kind of think, this is my face watching of this, you know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And I watched Aliens like three nights ago. That movie still kicks ass. It's awesome, Like the energy of that movie, like velocity once things that that movie takes like fifteen minutes and then all of a sudden, the rest of the movie is just like propulsive toward the end, it's awesome. Not to say it's there's not like good pacing and some quiet moments and good characters, but like, I mean, all due respect to Aliens, that's I'm definitely more of an alien one person, but it's it's apples and oranges at a certain point, just a great action movie. Anything else, I feel like it's.
Speaker 2: I mean obviously a ton but you know, can't can't catch up on a month's worth of stuff in a few minutes. But I'm glad we all got on this.
Speaker 1: It was a weekend. Well, yeah, weekend if you're listening now, we are back from Portland, but as of the recording, it's this coming weekend. We'll get to catch up. I'm sure. Yeah, Jake will be there. We'll talk about him.
Speaker 2: Oh no, keep keep it on the website.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Fuckjake dot Org. Oh Todd, I.
Speaker 4: Haven't bought it yet.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, Well we'll expense it. No, I shouldn't pretend that's what Patroon money is going to. It's gonna be really funny, just like a little bit of a little bit of how the sausage is made for anybody who doesn't know. Like basically, when we do actual our ad reads, when we submit them to sponsors, they get like a ten second or fifteen second bookends of the ad so they can hear the context that went into the ad. So I just like the idea of being like, so go to Fuckjake dot Org. Hey, guys, do you like wine? Do you want to go? It's always funny to listen to ten seconds before and like every once in a while I shave it to like five because out of context, we have some weird conversations. Well it was as well.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I like we we didn't even ease into this bit at all. We always just talk glowingly object Decker, and then we just decided it's a bit where we all hate him.
Speaker 1: Is it funnier if we don't explain it.
Speaker 2: I don't even know there's much of an explanation.
Speaker 4: It's too late. We already explained it.
Speaker 5: Fucked that guy.
Speaker 1: Okay, do you guys want to talk about video games?
Speaker 4: Yes, it's party season, boys, you're gonna get your party on always.
Speaker 1: Oh good.
Speaker 4: Well, when I'm partying, I'm glad that I have First Leaf because it has fantastic personalized wines just for me. But it's also my secret weapon for holiday season, which is coming up. Mike, what are you doing for your all your fancy parties?
Speaker 1: Well, First Leaf's great because even if you don't really know much about wine, it can help you kind of get into it. It'll ask you, like, what kind of foods do you like? Do you like these bitter things? You like these buttery things, And it'll kind of extrapolate from there, and then you can customize your box. Throughout the years, I've gotten some great stuff from First Leaf but recently been having a lot of like chilled lighter reds like Pino Noire bougelt to wave goodbye to the summer. But definitely getting ready for holiday season and planning on putting some some heavier stuff like some coast zinfandel in there, maybe even go go Italian with a few of their options. I'm looking forward to it. Dan, tell people how they can prep with the holiday season.
Speaker 2: Well, those folks can bring a great bottle to their next gathering. With first Leaf. You can go to try first leaf dot com slash fire Escape to sign up and you'll get your first six hand pick bottles for just forty four dollars and ninety five cents. That's t R y F I R S t l e a f dot com slash fire Escape. Try first leaf dot com slash fire Escape.
Speaker 1: All right, it looks like we've all been dabbling in a bunch of games, diving deeper into a few others since we last spoke as a group. Uh, Dan, I know you have a long history with Astrobot, since you had the was it was it was this the game that it turned out Grub was better than you at.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Origin, Well, I actually I was better than him at that on the speed running thing, but this is a new for This one won't be up until Changer.
Speaker 4: Because I think we have it in our notes that Grub was well.
Speaker 1: Wikipedia says that too, I was there.
Speaker 2: I was there. No, No, we'll see when the speed run mode goes up late this year. But hey, it's one of the greatest games of all time, and it's easily I would say, my favorite game since Breath of the Wild.
Speaker 1: This new Astrobat is.
Speaker 2: The New Astrobat is among my favorite games ever. It is unreal how fucking good it is. It is. I don't know if you played much of Playroom or Rescue Mission. Yeah, they're amazing, but it's like there was like caveats with both where it's like, god, damn it, this is amazing. But you know, Rescue Mission is VR and I don't want to wear this clunky thing and you can't really play it on your PS five. And you know, Playroom is like incredible, but it's very very short. It's it's basically like a you know, few RS line. It's like a demo that comes at your PlayStation, but an incredible one. And all I'd wanted was like a full on game. Made by them, and they did it, and they did it exactly right. It Oh my god, it's like it's I've never ever compared platformers to Mario in terms of like putting it on that same level of quality, but I will put this up there with Mario Odyssey with six or four all see right now, It's definitely better than Super Mario Sunshine. And you know how I talk about that game. I love it, but it's deeply flawed. Astrobot is not flawed. I look, I haven't beat it yet. I'm like, I've only been playing for the last like twenty four hours when I started it because I've been traveling, but as soon as I got back I started. But as of right now, I want to use the word perfect, and I don't ever use that word. I've used that for like Mario World and Link to the Past. You know, I don't use that word often with games. This is a game that when I used to review all the time. Now I gave five out of five's at Giant Bomb because it was a five star system and the five is easier to give out than a perfect ten. But when I've had a ten point system at a game and former and before I never gave out tens. I reviewed a thousand games on ten point systems. I gave out one ten, and that was to link between worlds. This I would not hesitate to give a ten to again, have not beaten it yet, but there's just not even a question in my mind.
Speaker 1: What is there? Yeah, what's how is it like a full game? Are they doing like a different like more varied worlds, et cetera.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, yeah, So it's really great with the variety because like some of them, I'd say, a lot of the bigger levels are more I don't want to say, like open hubs like Mario sixty four style. They are more like there is a place you start and you are kind of working generally linearly towards an end point, but like there are larger like areas in between where basically instead of stars like in Mario sixty four or Odyssey in the moons, you're finding bots and like, you don't have to rescue these bots to beat the levels. Actually you do eventually, Like some bosses and stuff are gated by like, oh, you need seventy bots to break this law can fight the boss or whatever, So at a certain point you do need to get a certain amount of bots, but you can beat a level and progress to a point without getting them. But I was obsessive every single level I did. I would not move on to the next one unless I got every bot, every puzzle piece, Like these big ones typically have seven bots, and you know, some of them are just normal bots hiding or in peril, and some of them are actually a lot of them. I want to say, it's like one hundred and sixty nine are references to PlayStation first party stuff, and there happens if I saw one about an hour before we started recording, where I seriously looked out loud by myself, so are you fucking kidding me? That I couldn't believe they included this fucking character in the game. It's one that I love a lot, but no one ever talks about. So it's yeah, it's got like the obvious PlayStation stuff, like you know you're gonna see Crash Bandicoot and the Last of Us characters in metal gear and stuff like that. But then there's stuff where it's just like, oh man, this is a weird, deep cut third party thing that I can't believe. What's that gex? But I haven't seen gats I haven't seen gex got I've got crash, but like you can also like so they populate like this hub area. You're basically like building your ship back and your ship is a PS five that breaks apart when it crashes, and so all your little dudes that you rescue, and there's three hundred total, they kind of get sent to this hub world, the crash site when you save them, and there's also a Gotcha machine there, so you're collecting coins throughout the game, and you can use coins, you know, one hundred for a pull of the Gotcha machine, and most of them are like little props and stuff for like, oh, like Leon Kennedy. His little prop or set is like a heartdoor and like a keychain. He's like a little bot. Leon's like flipping through all these like you know, heart and spade keys and stuff like that, and you know, you go up and interact with them, punch them and stuff like that. And they all have like little flavor text and one liners that are really clever. But it's just it's got so much personality and everywhere you look in this game, whether it's the hub world or a little linear level or one of the bigger hubs.
Speaker 5: I I every area.
Speaker 2: I go into, I just have to look around at everything because some of the stuff is like, oh, sure, here's a hidden paths to get to a bot, and some of it is just like, oh, I don't know, here's this fun little here's a little bot, you know, squirrel that's like popping out of the ground with a golf ball and you look around and you're like, oh, there's a golf hole over there, and you're trying to like hit the ball into the hole and that might get you a puzzle piece that might just be a little animation. But there's just so much personality everywhere. There's so much discovery. There's more like discovery and joy in the first level of this game than in like almost any other full game. It's and down to like the little tiny things. Like one of the first levels is this creamy canyon and it's like a snow level, but everything is kind of like ice cream, and you know, so as you're going through the snow, you see the ground underneath it is like waffle cone texture, and you know, the trees are waffle cones with like soft soft serve ice cream. But then there's sprinkles all over the ground and like the physics going on in this game, like just piles and piles of sprinkles and it's so fun to just run around and punch the sprinkles everywhere and the stuff it does. You know, this is the first party PlayStation game, and it really makes a lot of use out of the controller motion stuff, you know, all the like very specific little happic feedback stuff. It is so just the tactile like sensation of going through a pile of leaves or sprinkles or whatever are done way better here than any like rumble thing I've ever felt before, even like they're.
Speaker 4: Known for their physics. Like I remember an early like the first Astro bought there was a water world and it was so much fun and there was an area where I think you wore like a floaty tube or whatever and you had to float on the waves of the water. And I remember thinking, like for like a game that a little studio put together, I was like, this is incredible the physics of this water. Yeah, the puzzles they did with it were really cute and innovative too.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's all over this too, Like the uh, there's a lot of water physics, a lot of liquid stuff going on. There's like the some of the powers you get. One of them is like this little elephant backpack you get, and if you go on top of like honey or like goo, you can pull the right trigger to kind of suck it up and that'll give you three charges of like if you jump and you hit our two, the elephant will like spit it down. And so if it's like the uh, if it's this one like green and Go, it'll create this like plant platform. It's kind of like the cloud Mario thing and Mario Galaxy, so you can create platforms in the air with this like elephant thing. There's one where you're a fucking sponge. You turn astrobot into a sponge, and if you jump into a bottle of water or a body of water, he gets really huge and you can kind of stomp around and run through walls and stuff, and then if you are too again, you squeeze yourself out and also shoot a lot of water out, so you can put out flames or create platforms and lava. Like. It's got a ton of powers, which like Mario and other platforms have done, but it's all stuff that I haven't seen before, where it's like, Okay, you got these two froghands that turn into like basically like extendo boxing gloves or grappling hooks for like swinging on stuff, or yeah, you're a sponge or you know, you've got this weird goo sucking elephant on your back, and like all this shit is really fucking fun. I'm smiling the entire time I'm playing this game. The boss fights are incredible, the animation, the actual gameplay of them, the variety and the levels. You know, it's rarely just like oh, here's the lava level, here's the ice level, Like they all have their fun little twists on it. Fuck, it's i mean, every second I'm playing this game, I'm just like, I have no complaints. I can't complain about this game. It's everything's so fucking snappy that the hub world's nice. Everything goes in and out with like almost no load times. It's just there's one part in this one level. It's called like Funk of Trunk of Funk or something. You'll know it when you get there, but like you just start doing like a random thing in the level, and then the thing happens where I'm just staring and watching this for a while, I'm like, this is crazy and hilarious and awesome, and I just want to soak in every fucking nook and cranny of this world. It's uh and then just the sheer, just platforming, the control, the way it feels to run around as Astrobot is untouched. I mean, you go on ice and you're skating, and when you jump, it's a pure wet and you know, there's the attention to detail. Is is fucking crazy in this game. It's one of the rare times I can think like, I'm going to be so bummed when this game is over, and I'm already looking forward to the speed around DLC. I'm definitely going to platinum this game, which I really do that with games these days.
Speaker 5: But uh yeah, without reservation.
Speaker 2: Just based on the first two and a half Worlds, I've played, one of the best games of all time and my favorite game at least since twenty seventeen.
Speaker 1: Sounds all right fine looking forward to playing it. I that like, it also sounds like gonna be a good palette cleanser. For no, that's not the right word. So many of the games I've loved this year have either been like very very big like open world kind of stuff or small contained, very focused indie things. This sounds like it'll be a good way to get back to that like really creative triple A space.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but it's also really good at like if you want to sit down for hours and really like you know, say fifty bots, you can. But there's also times where it's like, oh, I got to leave for this doctor's appointment in twenty minutes, and I'll load it up and I'll pick because you can see on the hub world like, oh, this one has seven bots to rescue in three puzzle pieces, or this one has one, so like, oh, this is going to be a short, little challenge level, so you can crank out a few of those on the hub world and you know, have a good fifteen minute session with the game and be done. Yeah, it's I cannot wait to play more of it. I will probably do that tonight as soon as we're done recording.
Speaker 4: Wow, I mean that sounds really exciting. I really liked the last Astrobot I played, and it was one of the very few games that when my parents visited me and my parents are not gamers, I was able to give them the controller and they could functionally like run around and understand what was going on. I think it's like it's skilled and challenging, but it's also so lenient to people who are like, what's a game.
Speaker 2: That's a great point because really most of what you do is X and square exes jump X again is to do the laser hever squares punch. You can hold square to charge punch, and then like when you get the power ups, it's L two and R two to do some stuff. But it's pretty easy to explain, so I think like a kid or someone who's not a traditional gamer could really enjoy it. But also there's like for someone like me that wants to get everything, like there is a good amount of challenge and like, oh how do I get to that bot? Where am I missing this? And then you know the fact that it's so good. It controls so well that it lends itself to speed running well, like that can be extremely high level play if you want to, or you can hand this controller to a six year old and they're probably also gonna have a really fun time just looking at all the incredible visuals and personality. It's yeah, it's a genre that I care so much about and I love so much, but I just feel like outside of the core Mario games, it's not I mean you'll see like there's a lot in the ndie space and a lot that I have enjoyed, but I still think there is so much more room for great three D platformers and like to see something on this level of quality that's not just the next Mario game. I really I hope it does well and I want to see more of this because it is this. This is the type of game that makes me love video games.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's three D platformers have been one of those genres for years now. In saying like Nintendo's the only thing keeping it from truly going extinct, like it's extinct is super strong because there are some you know, quote unquote like smaller budget games that have been doing some really cool stuff. But again, it is nice to see like PlayStation come out with its version of its swing at Mario in twenty twenty four. They've had obviously they have PlayStation has no shortage of like notable mascots in the platforming space, but nothing that really went for that the breadth and creativity at Mario.
Speaker 2: I mean, there was that period in PS one where you know, Crash was kind of a big thing, but like I liked Crash, but well yeah, but you know Spiro at the time, you know, a third party and you know, Crash was very much like the like first party attempt, and even at its peak I liked Crash Bandicoot, it was not on the same level of Mario you know.
Speaker 1: Those games same thing as like, you know, like those were great. I love the first one especially, but like those had flaws you had to kind of forgive while you're playing them.
Speaker 2: And also like Jack and Ratchet, Like I love both of those series, but like those were kind of action platformers, you know, especially Ratchet with the amount of like you know, guns and level up stuff and everything. It wasn't just like a pure Mario sixty four style platformer. This is a pure three D platformer and it is as good, if not better, than any Mario game I've ever played, and I don't say that likely.
Speaker 1: Definitely want to check it out.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, it's what a what a referral?
Speaker 2: I mean, look, I can't hold back. It's this is it's making me incredibly happy to play.
Speaker 4: Wow.
Speaker 1: All right, so Mary, you have to follow that up. It is Slider one of the best games you've ever played.
Speaker 4: I mean, I don't think it's one of the greatest games of all time.
Speaker 1: Move on, Move on, Move on. What about what about Corekeeper?
Speaker 4: Wait? Yeah, Corekeeper is actually pretty cool.
Speaker 1: Nah, nope, I'm just kidding. I'm just kidding. Slider. What's what's going on with Slider?
Speaker 4: Okay, Slider is going back to remember how we were like, we don't like the puzzles where you like move a slide down ranger. That's all Slider is wo But they did it with puzzles that are really interesting. So, for example, you start on one block, so it's let's say it's a nine by nine grid. You understand, and you're on block one, and it'll be like, you need to get this block to the right so that you can get something from the right, and so you slide the block over and then you walk off the grid and you collect something and that helps you get slide two. Now you have two slides. You interact with the puzzles in between two slides, that'll give you the third slide, so on and so forth, and so you're basically collecting nine slides so that you could move everything around. Despite the fact that I've very clearly said I don't like it when you have to move the nine pieces around when you only have four. It's really interesting. It's the puzzle is not about how hard it is to move them around, it's wait, how am I moving these pieces around in order to solve this puzzle? And the puzzles are actually very thoughtful and intra staying I and it evolves incredibly. I cannot believe. I think I'm on Area four and the Area four is insane. The puzzle design is so complicated and so interesting. It's totally different dynamic than than Area one. So very advanced at this point, but very intricate, thoughtful puzzles that will absolutely rack your brain. And I've enjoyed running around talking to characters. They'll be like, I'll try and give you an example. I was gambling with someone and they were like, I won't even talk to you unless you can beat my dice. Roll and they roll a seven, and so you roll and you roll a four and they're like ha, you suck. And then it's like, oh, wait, I can move the slider and so when I move the world, the dice keep rolling and he's like, wait, you Chang, how are you able to change your slider, and so like, now I can change my dice roll and beat him and get a slider and another one. I'm like doing a race, and what I do is you cannot beat them physically. They're faster than you. But if I go down and then I slide it over twice and then go up, I can beat them. And so it's about putting all the slides in the right spot, thinking about what the game wants you to do to solve these puzzles, and interacting with the characters to figure out what every person needs or their desires are in order to get it done on time. It's a brain buster.
Speaker 2: So I'm looking at a video of this right now. This is free to play, kind of a game Boy style like art style.
Speaker 4: It does have a game Boy it's like black and white.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah, it says it's free on Steam. Is that the I have to just always wonder like is there end game? Like is there a catch there? Or what's the deal?
Speaker 4: How did I acquire this?
Speaker 2: I'm looking at it says free.
Speaker 4: I guess I just I guess I just downloaded the free game.
Speaker 2: Yeah, here's Slider releases for free. Sliders now available three your journey. How did they how do you do that?
Speaker 4: I don't know. There's no like secret you know, Dorito's ads in there. I don't know they did it. It's not a virus.
Speaker 2: You just don't see that.
Speaker 4: I think I found a couple games on Twitter this last these last few weeks, and it won Best Student Game at the IGF. And I'm a big sucker for the IGF. I love when they helped me discover like unique puzzlers. I really have to recommend this. I was very surprised now that I know it's free too, like that changes everything, but like I forgot that I how I acquired this quite frankly, but like so many interesting different puzzles that really rack your brain. And uh, this is a bit of a cheat, but I think it's worth letting you know that when you're playing this, if you get really really stuck, there is a one button that gives you three hints before telling you that solution. And I love that because it's not just about moving the sliders where they need to be a lot of it. The puzzles are complicated and you're like, I actually don't understand how to solve this, and so the game will give you one to three hints before they actually literally say this is what you need to do. Ding dong.
Speaker 1: And it's nice text.
Speaker 2: Base or is it like stuff on the screen, like pointing at things.
Speaker 4: It's text. It's like I think it actually takes you to the steam page, and the steam page is like a text based walk through, but again, it gives you multiple hints before it actually just tells you what to do. And I love a hint or too when I'm getting stuck after a certain amount of time. Yeah, it's it's hard to describe, you know, outside of just sliding the world around. But I've had a lot of fun just moving the world around and figuring it out. I'll give you another one. Like there's one where someone's like, I'm fishing, but the the fish can't get upstream, so there's no fish anymore. And you'll notice that all the sliders have a river in them, and it's like, oh, I'll just complete the river, and if you move all the slides in the right spot, the fish go upstream and now the fishermen can fish, and they give you another slide.
Speaker 2: Oh cool.
Speaker 4: Stuff like that. It's just neat, But they don't say complete the river. The guys just like these fish ain't bite, no mo And then you have to be like, why aren't the fish biting anymore? Well, the river isn't completed. Hey there's river. If I put all these sliders in a certain order, then the river would be completed. Bing bang boom.
Speaker 2: That's a game that sounds better than just like slide puzzles for slide puzzle's sake.
Speaker 4: That's one hundred percent. What I don't like about the Nine Slides is that it's you know what you're trying to do. You're like, I'm trying to make a snowflake, but I can't get the one where I want it. I hate puzzles like that. That's not what this is. This is there's four sliders. It's very easy to move them around, but how are you getting them into the spot? And what spot do you want them in? Because there's a puzzle that you're solving, and that's interesting to me. So that's why I think it gets away from the trope or like from that annoying type of puzzle design. This one's more about like what are you trying to solve? Not how you solve it?
Speaker 1: Nice?
Speaker 4: Yeah, I think it's cute. It's free. Can't beat that. I'm also playing a game called core Keeper. Now this one I'm interested in.
Speaker 1: It's uh, are you playing on game Pass or what are you playing on? Because it came early last year, I believe.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I bought it. I bought it on Steam.
Speaker 1: I know. Did you know it was on game Pass?
Speaker 4: Yes?
Speaker 2: Okay, okay, I.
Speaker 4: Think it's an intentional kish because.
Speaker 1: If you don't, if you want it on PC and not Xbox.
Speaker 4: Then I don't want it on x Well, you can play Xbox games on a PC. Yeah, I want to on my Steam deck.
Speaker 1: Okay, fair enough, gotcha.
Speaker 4: I didn't know it was on game Pass though, because it only just gets no an educated decision.
Speaker 1: But it was like early access early last year, memory serves.
Speaker 4: Yeah, this game fucking slaps it is. I want to say, eight player online co op. It has Terraria slash Minecraft vibes. You start in the middle of nowhere, like in a hole in the ground, and you have to make everything. So you have to make your first pick axe, you have to make your first shovel. They're made of dirt or crap, and you just slowly like hack away at the dirt. There's an energy system, a food system, so you get hungry because you're you know, chopping at the dirt and you have to eat mushrooms and stuff in the world, but the real joy comes from playing with other people and beating the bosses. There's bosses in the in the world andvarious locations, and so when you're playing with other people, you just slowly will find these very aggressive bosses and you have to work as a team to tear down these giant bosses and kill them in different ways. One of them is like a huge worm, and it's impossible to just hit this worm to death because it's too fast. So everybody's basically like cool, we need to make traps. So like I'm gonna go mine iron and like you get a bunch of food and so that we can cook it and it'll give us three times our damage and then we'll trap it and then we'll all take our food and get three times damage and we'll hit it simultaneously. And that's how you like take down the bus. So it's teamwork. It's world building. Oh there's there's like some just casual stuff in here too. I got animals and I put them in a farm and I milk them, and I drink the milk for a defense increase. And I have a farm and I farm all the food for the team, So I've kind of become like the farmer person that makes the crops and the meals and the milk, and then I go kill bosses with it.
Speaker 2: So are the bosses just like like wandering the world? Like is it like, oh, this guy stops around the forest here, so stay away. Yeah, I was taking to Bellheim. It kind of sounds like that.
Speaker 4: It does now because they can really they can section off the world better because there's certain areas that you wouldn't be able to get to with your level one axe, Like the dirt won't break. It's like too hard, and so you can't get there till later. So they've kind of determined that you're going to go to certain bosses first and then once you kill them, you'll get an item that you bring back to your base. There's also like some kind of like supernatural stuff going on, and so when you like bring the egg back to your dome, it'll it'll light up some lights and be like, now your next boss is over here. So it does have that vibe to it, but you can also build a house, oh that's also like Felheim, and live in it and just enjoy the experience of like making beds and decorating. I painted my house, which I thought was pretty rad. So you can kind of decide what kind of person you want to be. There's a lot of different characters that you can build and grow. I started as a ranger, but I really grew my farming skills. The more you do something, the more you'll get points in that system and grow that system. So I became quite an avid farmer and fishermen and just animal trainer. And whereas like other people, they became like a really good swordsman because they were just running around killing stuff the whole time. So you you grow your skill tree in what you're doing the most. I have poured hours into this I am blown away, very similar to Minecraft. How you can throw eight hours into this game and be like what, we spent the whole day doing that, and I did. I spent multiple full eight hour days playing this game, and I was never bored or felt like I didn't know what to do. The only time I got frustrated was I think I'm on a boss that does lightning damage. It can really zip Zapia and we keep dying, and so that's kind of frustrating, but it's just like, obviously we have the wrong tactic or we need to like up our food supply before we take it down. But it's really fun getting a bunch of people together and being like we're all gonna kill this boss and picking out ye. I feel like this game is meant to play with friends. I think you could have fun by yourself, because much like Terraria, it's about exploration and building and you can play your way. I just think that the true joy in it for me is running around with buds, hacking into the dirt and not knowing what is next, and so if there is a boss back there, we can all take it down together. So I think that's kind of what I like about it. It's really fun to like get on Discord and play this. So I think it's a great team game.
Speaker 1: I've heard great things about it when it was Early Excess last year.
Speaker 4: It's smooth too for eight people drop in drop out, like not a lot of technical issues. I was pretty amazed with how seamless it was. Somebody basically hosts and the server and you can have your little characters join, and you can have multiple characters. So I have a character who's more of a farmer, and I have one that's more of a ranger, and I have you know, you can you can really expand the way you want to play this. But I see stuff like this and I just think it's so brilliant and like the future of games. This is like everybody from around the world pop in here and just play on one server. I think it's awesome. I love shit like this, and I hope this game does well because it's the kind of game that I love to play.
Speaker 1: Would be a fun fire skate game, I think.
Speaker 2: So.
Speaker 4: I think you're gonna have a lot of fun, like deciding what kind of person you want to be. And it's also nice when someone's like, I've discovered how to make train tracks and or like tracks and then we can all like fast travel different places by getting in a little cart and getting on tracks and stuff like that. You remember, like Dan, the first time you got like a horse in Stardoo, and you're like, this is the greatest thing on Earth. It's really fun to like find travel systems and get fast and speedy, or find a really fucking good gun because you like killed some guy for it. Now you just have like the most powerful weapon. It's really fun.
Speaker 2: Nice you mentioned to Stardo. Uh, have you played Fields of Mystery?
Speaker 1: Yes?
Speaker 4: I thought, did. I I like it. My response was, it's very Stardoo, almost to a fault, because I like Stardoo and I can always play Stardoo, and it's just like this is kind of Stardoo, but everyone's smoking hot, and I have enjoyed it, and I've put in not that many you want to say, like eight hours into it, but I just feel like I've already played this game and it's called Stardo.
Speaker 2: That's the thing is like I have every time I've recommended this, I'm like Giant Bomber elsewhere. I've like, I'm really enjoying this game a lot. But when it comes time to differentiate it from start, it's kind of like, hey, you can jump. You don't have to fill your watering can. You know it's uh, there's a checkbook on the inventory.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, I fill my watering can.
Speaker 2: What's that?
Speaker 4: I fill my watering can?
Speaker 2: I didn't know you could. There's not like a finite there's not like a water bar like there is in Stardoo.
Speaker 4: But it says you're out.
Speaker 2: Oh I haven't. Maybe I haven't gotten there yet. I have like nine plants. Oh, you can run out.
Speaker 4: You can run out of lot.
Speaker 2: I want to kild it once. That's a deep fucking can shit. That was like my one talking boy for how it's different. They don't have to fill up the watering can.
Speaker 4: You have to fill up the watering can shit.
Speaker 2: Yeah, to start do but you can jump. Yeah. That's the things like I'm trying to figure out, like is this game doing anything significantly different or has it just been long enough? And I like playing Stardoo, you know.
Speaker 4: And people were starved for something else, right, and the Haunted Chocolateeer hasn't come out. I think people are itching for something like this, and I do think it scratches that itch. I just think for me, I like new experiences. I like trying something I've never tried before. And so for me it was a hard sell because I was like, I just feel like I prefer to start new games as opposed to playing the same game that I feel like I've played. Yeah, I mean they do things a little differently, but even just the fact that like on Friday, if you go to the bar. All the people are there and they're having their little potti. I was like, oh, this just reminds me of I Started.
Speaker 2: It really really is. Yeah, And I've like, i know, Started is added a billion things since last time I played it, and I've always been like, oh, maybe I'll go back to it, and I'm like, I've already played this game, and I think so that this being technically a new game is what kind of like made me okay with like, Okay, it's a new game. I'm not just playing a game from twenty seventeen but or twenty fifteen.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and it is good, it's well done.
Speaker 2: It's really good. I am really enjoying. I'm going to keep playing it. It's a great playing game. But yeah, it's definitely Stardu.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 4: It also has like the same systems of like collect them all right, oh yeah, the museum, the museum.
Speaker 2: Yeah. But and that's another reason I was hesitant to criticize it for being too much like Started, because Starty was just doing Harvest moot. So it's not like Started was like We've invented a genre, you know. It's like, no, it just did a really good one. Modern times you know.
Speaker 4: At a perfect time too, when people really looking for something like that right, Like it really says timing is everything. For all we know, somebody right now is making the perfect dig Dug duplicate and now everyone will be like, this game is brilliant. How come it's never been done before? World Steam World dig Doug.
Speaker 2: All right, I'm in.
Speaker 4: It's like the same thing, but if you do it at the right time, it's brilliant. And I do think that Fields of Mystery is a solid stardoo for the Stardoo enthusiast. I I'm playing other things.
Speaker 5: Sure, yeah, there's a lot now right now.
Speaker 4: So what else, Mike, we haven't talked to you in a while.
Speaker 1: I've been playing several things, but the one I have been enjoying the most is Tactical Breach Wizards.
Speaker 2: I started that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I like the game a whole lot. From the developer of Heat Signature, among other things. Look that up just to make sure I'm Tom Francis, I believe. Let me just look that up quick. The x Calm one right, Uh yeah, x Comm.
Speaker 2: Camera Squad something Mike would like.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Wizards, uct and Druids and ship like that. A Suspicious Developments uh techle Breech Wizards, Heat Heat, floating gunpoint.
Speaker 4: It's the same game, but everyone's hotter.
Speaker 2: Yeah, with a hot Wizard, Ta Wizards, Bloody Wizards.
Speaker 1: X Comm. You have played XCOM Chimera Squad. That game is very much about You're actually uh turn based breaching into these close quarters as opposed to XCOM to Xcom and to be unknown within those were outdoors, largely urban environments, rural. This is small rooms, but you get different characters who have different powers, and the world building here is pretty unique. They took really like hardcore tactical aesthetics of like a Navy seal or a Green Beret or a swat team, and then combine them with fantastical stuff like your main the first character you have, he's dressed like I don't even know, like a ghost recon soldier combined with like a gandalfast looking wizard and clothes like that. And he has a a light machine gun that like has crystals on it that can manipulate time. His power is basically, among other things, he generally speaking can kind of just set up things one second in the future. He also that one second into the future, which I don't know if you've seen was it Knowing with Nicholas Cage, I was knowing and next Knowing is like when he knows like nine eleven's coming or something. Yes, one second.
Speaker 5: One of those is that they make that film.
Speaker 1: We watched it at Post or Not. We watched Next Post e three in Venice Mary when we got that Airbnb GameSpot crew. Anyway, he could see one second of the future, which kind of leads to the end of the breach mechanic. So into the breach you get a limited number of.
Speaker 4: What fucking value is one second into the future gonna do?
Speaker 1: So I was literally about to tell you he can. You can set up I know.
Speaker 4: It's gonna happen. You're gonna tell me what's gonna happen in one second.
Speaker 1: See, there you go. It's an advantage. You basically can like decide to preview what's gonna happen if you end your turn. That will show you if the stuff you did is going to get anybody hurt, if it's going to take out all the enemies in one fell swoop, or if it's gonna lead to some more catastrophic stuff. As opposed to into the breach, these rewinds that you get. If you don't like that outcome, you get unlimited rewinds. They really want you to like min max this game like and like try to get perfect missions in as few turns as possible, as little damage as possible. I'm at a point in the game now where I don't know how any buddy wouldn't take damage on some of these moves. I just like there's another character, for instance, she is a more of a witch, and she's got like some of this druid stuff like all over her and among other things she has, like she could just like push people out windows and or like levitate stuff and also just knock people off course into the first characters like Trapsi's set up basically you are doing the into the breach thing where you're using different characters to kind of set up this chessboard and then unleash it, and then you kind of they give you every tool you need to know what's going to happen next. But when you end your turn, it seems like.
Speaker 2: They're big on like letting you kind of play at your pace and your your skill level, because one thing I noticed early on was that like you can just fucking pick whatever mission you want to do, regardless of if you've gotten that far, Like you could like skip to the last mission in the game if you wanted to and just start it, which it's rare to see that level of just like nap Bucket, Yeah, you can just get this level yep.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Then you get like character who like it is, you know, like has a riot shield and you're going up against enemies that are like basically traffic police. Like again, the world building here is very much like there's a lot of humor between missions about like bureaucracy and you're kind of playing detective with these characters. But I actually find a lot of the writing to be quite funny. I wouldn't put it on par with like I'm thank goodness you're here. Sure, it's not that funny, but nothing is nothing is. And Tackle Breech Wizards I like quite a bit. It's very tightly designed. My my gripes are kind of the similar things I had with Chimera Squad and with Xcom two, which I have also been playing a lot of because I saw Alien Romulus and I was like, oh, Xcom was really inspired by Aliens, So I'm gonna go play that again and I've been playing with more mods, but that's not right now, Mike.
Speaker 2: I would just like credit for hell uh noble, I've been for not saying anything. The forty nine times you've said alien on this podcast.
Speaker 1: Thank you.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I just want I just want credit for that. Please you also, Mary, you heard it too.
Speaker 1: It becomes a problem with one of our sponsors, is like he's pronouncing our name wrong. You got to re record this. No, he's just from Syracuse, ye, And like there's people from upstate New York listening that are like, we don't say that. Let's say I don't know where. Yeah no. Actually a lot of people curl their a's like that up there, but I don't know.
Speaker 5: If it's I've never heard.
Speaker 1: That instead of a it's like, ah, like curling Italian okay, as opposed to Long Island'd be more like Italian.
Speaker 2: Say the Nintendo's mascot's the name.
Speaker 1: I grew up saying Mario. But I've now living here, I've I've come around to accepting Mario.
Speaker 2: Okay, you've accepted our style. Look it's insane.
Speaker 1: Yeah, no, I mean this like around here you But no, I grew up saying Mario Okay, no tactical Breech Wizards. I want to keep playing. I love the variety and the environments too. Some of them you're in office buildings, some of them you're on like tankers out at sea. It's I'm really enjoying the game. It's exactly what I've come to expect from the team that made heat signature. It's just very tight. I again, I don't sorry, I don't even know if I finished my thought x Com Camera Squad and this. There are certain instances where it's actually not completely clear what an attack is going to do. And I know I said earlier that you know exactly what's going to happen next. You have every tool at your disposal. The game gives you as many as it can. However, there're sometimes where like visual bugs pop up and that gets in the way of you making the right decision. It's hard to gripe when you can literally rewind as many times as you can. So then I'm like, oh right, okay, let me just double check that I'm lining this up the way I wanted to. So again, that's like if the game and if I like was getting people killed like I was in x Com too, and that was happening that becomes way more egregious, but here it doesn't matter that much, but just a really unique, cool, like intricate game. I'm getting to the point in the game where it does really feel like those hectic.
Speaker 2: Just you know.
Speaker 1: Chess matches that you get into and into the breach and you know, you're like starting to really get a feel for every character's nuances and how they synergize. And then you could pick you can rearrange the doors each character is going to breach through, similar to Kimera Squad. So that adds another layer to like not just what do I want to do? This turns like how do I even want to kick off? This whole puzzle? It's absolutely more of a puzzle game than anything.
Speaker 2: So really cool style too, like I like, you know, knocking guys out of windows and the whole like you know kind of cop vibe thing in between missions. Like it's got a real it's got a real unique feel to it, and that I appreciate.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I was trying to put my finger on what it looks reminds me of. Visually, It's a cross between like Kentucky Roots zero and twelve minutes.
Speaker 2: Remember that they were a big twelve minutes guy.
Speaker 1: I never played it. I know people really hated it the more they played it, but it's like it has a similar palette. If sure even makes sense.
Speaker 2: I could see that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but cool game, and that's I think twenty bucks well worth it. Go check it out. Nice Dan, you saw some Nintendo stuff.
Speaker 2: I just did. I took some Nintendo appointments at packs, which is why this episode is going up with a few hours late. Yes, yes, yeah, I'll start with Zelda Echoes of Wisdom, which I thought, look, anytime there's a new Zelda game announced, my ears perk up. But this one, you know, being like a very unique one where it's oh okay, first full one where you're playing Zelda. It seems like it might be kind of a swan song for the Switch as we go into this last stretch of of Switch games. And it's also got that kind of like top down links of Wake any remake art style, which I think pretty solid. So like, I like the idea of using that art style for a whole new adventure, and I think this really over delivered.
Speaker 5: I was already really excited for it.
Speaker 2: But playing it and like messing around with the echo system, which you've seen that trailer where it's like basically what she's doing is like creating echoes of enemies and you know, torches and rocks and sea urchins and things like that, and then using it. Like she does have a sword mode that you can use and like attack traditionally like in a Zelda game, but that's very very limited. That's like a bar of energy you've got. So it's the echosystem that the first time I played it, it reminded me of the first time I played Scribble.
Speaker 5: Knots, where you would get to a puzzle.
Speaker 2: Or something and it would be like, oh, get past this thing or defeat this enemy, and you're thinking, like, you know, you've got this. You know I can type in anything, what do I want to do? Like it's not quite that level of typing in whatever you want, but once you've like assembled a good amount of items, it's like, oh, could I climb up above this thing and just drop beds on this thing's head? Or you know, do I want to spawn a bunch of bats and attack this enemy? Like it just feels like there is a wide variety of ways. Even in like the short time I play well, I guess I played like an hour and a half, but like you know, had a limited amount of echoes. Let's say I had fifteen twenty various things I loved every time I encountered like a boss or a puzzle and being like, all right, let's see what I got here, and cycling through them is kind of like that Tears of the Kingdom style where you just kind of like hold a deepad button I think it's a deepbad button, and you cycle through and you can sort by last used, most frequently used. So it's all like, even though it has all these things in your inventory, you can cycle between. It's it is pretty snappy and easy to access everything, and it just leads to a lot of funny situations where it's like, oh, okay, I need to get this fire over to these boxes to get up to this thing. I wonder if I can, you know, put this bed down here and the bed catch is on fire, but all of a sudden you're just in a flaming bed and links on fire, and so oh that didn't work.
Speaker 5: Okay, let's try this way here.
Speaker 2: Which it's a really funny thing that if you spawn a bed, you can sep in it. I can tuck under the covers with a and like recover hearts, so literally, in the middle of a boss fight, you can just like put a bed in the corner and try to get a quick nap in to get some like health and then pop back up and spawn a bunch of bads or spiders or whatever.
Speaker 5: So, yeah, need to break.
Speaker 2: I think, Yeah, there's gonna be some crazy speed run stuff for this. I think it's gonna be really cool to watch. And yeah, I went from being very curious too very excited after the ninety minutes we had with it.
Speaker 4: Very cool.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think it's I think it's gonna be a really cool one. And yeah, I always wonder with things like this, is this a main line entry in the series technically, And they straight up said this is a main line entry in the Zelda series, So let's put that in the ground right now. It is a main line Zelda game. And yeah, I'm sure it'll be the last like main entry we get on the switch. So yeah, it seems like they're going out with a really interesting one.
Speaker 1: Dude, you got to stop with the whole I don't want women in my Zelda games. Maybe that's Mike Manad's gimmick.
Speaker 5: That's a Jake Decker. That's Jake Decker.
Speaker 1: Yeah, to fuck Jaked if you want to learn more.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and also leading this to be the most mean Nintendo appointment I could have. I saw Zelda and Mario Party, so I played Super Mario Party Jamboree. We got some little miniature looks at like several different modes, so we did a few turns of like the standard party game mode, which I liked. It's got seven boards. It's got too If you remember, Superstars was the one that was like all classic mini games and maps. This one is mostly new stuff. But it's got two classic maps and two of my favorites, and it's got like I think it's like twenty two characters or something. It's a huge, huge cast. But yeah, it's more straightforward than Super Mario Party, the last all new one. It kind of does away with the partner system, like the ally thing that they had with that, so it's a little more streamlined. Should be a little easier to just like get new players in. But yeah, as far as the main not story mode, but the main mode, it's a Mario Party. It's got a shitload of new mini games, and I really enjoyed the ones I played. They also had us play the twenty player online mode, which I was a little unclear if you you could like party up with or room code with like twenty people, Like I don't know if we could start a stream and share code and have twenty people join. They said you could party up with eight people, but like a lot of this was a little unclear based on my time with it, but we did play it with eight people, and it's got like a racetrack and it's all like bespoke mini games to this mode. So it's these modes where you're like fighting to get coins and things like that, and live you're seeing the standings go around the like racetrack and completing laps as you go. So it's definitely not the traditional roll dice, go to item shops all that stuff intindow game. It's a different deal. So I don't know for anyone thinking it's a twenty player Mario party thing, just no, it's not the traditional Mario party mode.
Speaker 1: But it was fun. It sounds like Fall Guys Adjacent or something.
Speaker 2: But yes, there were several several parts where it's like, Okay, we're fighting Bowser here and you've got twenty characters and you're all running away from Bowser and there's like fire and the floor is dropping out.
Speaker 5: Felt very very fall guys. I definitely had that thought.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, yeah.
Speaker 2: Which, you know, I want to try all he's online, Like I love Mario Party, but like you know, I'm not against you know, trying some new things with it as long as we still have that core board game element. And then the other one they had to play was an eight player co op mode where you're like on a little stage almost like a Mario Kart battle mode stage, and Bowser is kind of rampaging around or he's imposter Bowser technically, and you're running around breaking open these crates of bombs and you're all like you know, loading up on bombs, loading it into a cannon, and then just shotgun blasting Bowser with bombs and he's got a health bar. There's many games in between. You can get power ups and stuff like if you do good on the mini games, it's like now you can get this glove that helps you carry you can carry four bombs at a time instead of two, or you're doing more damage to Bowser. So that was fun. It felt like it was from a different game than a Mario Party outside of the many games. But again, more modes not a bad thing to me as long as you got the core thing. And the core thing is more boards, more many games, more characters than like any of them have had. So yeah, look, it seems like this is another game that I'm going to be pulling out every time I go back home and playing for player with my sisters and friends and stuff. So yeah, Mario Party is alive, and well.
Speaker 1: I'm not trying to trigger you, I promise, because I enjoy Mario Party. I'm not. My question is you just mentioned like the core thing here seems to be more. Has that not always been the case? Like what like have mainline Mario Party games introduced like big new wrinkles often?
Speaker 2: Yeah, like Mario Party, I want to say nine and ten, definitely ten. The Weiu one had this thing where everyone they're kind of trying to speed up the board game aspect of it, so everybody was in the same like car driving around the maps to try to get you to the minigames faster, and like, honestly, I didn't like that nearly as much because like that's part of it is everyone's kind of taking their own paths through the map. Everyone's getting to Boo first or something. You know, it's and so having to everyone in the same car like on rails kind of ruin nine and ten for me. Again, it might just be ten. It could be nine and ten. And then like Super Mario Party introduced the ally system where it's like all the maps have this thing where you're basically getting allies that are rolling extra dice with you. They're they're going around sometimes. I think they participated in minigames, but it's definitely a different, different vibe to it. It was an interesting, like I'm not against them trying new things, but I don't know, it was a little little distracting to be in every map. So this just being a little more straightforward and just giving you more characters, more maps, more many games like but then having the extra stuff be on the side these like side modes. I I much prefer this, So yeah, between this and Superstars and I like Super Mario Party. But yeah, I think we've got three good too great Mario Party games on the switch, so it's awesome cool, yeah, yeah, good stuff.
Speaker 4: Right before they get a new switch.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, look, please be backwards compatible with anyone, because I want to be able to play all these games.
Speaker 4: Still, did Nintendo Swatch be a bad name?
Speaker 1: It'd be weird to not be able to play like tears that Kenya on the next one.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but you know, we saw with Mario Kart eight Deluxe. It's hey, we're gonna put out that game and charge again for it, and it's going to be like one of the most the high selling games ever. You know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Mary, you've been playing something called crypt Custodian.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I'm on my andy shit again. This is a metroid vania that I think has promise but is a bit rough on the edges. You can tell this is a small team, or even smaller than a small team.
Speaker 2: But I I like some of the.
Speaker 4: That would be interesting because it is popular.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 4: So this is a cat that has gone to hell. They are a custodian cleaning up trash in an afterlife, essentially as punishment for their crimes against humanity. You sweep up trash, you kill any batties that come in your way. There's an interesting concept with ghost puzzles. I think that's what these are, where essentially you'll see a cat head that looks like it's made out of gas, and if you hit it with your broom, it'll fly in the direction you want and bounce, So you have to hit it in the right direction so that it gets to an area where it'll open up a gate and you can get some goodies and some secrets. I enjoy the puzzle parts of it. I think the combat is not impact y for me, doesn't feel chunky when you're hitting enemies, and I really do think that a metroidvania needs like a chunky feeling when you're hitting stuff. But I do think that it has a nice expanded map that will remind you of a hollow night or or where it like really expands over time, and I do like that. Much like any metroid vania, you're expanding your skill sets, which allows you to traverse the world in new and interesting ways, and so I like that about it. I just think it's a little rough. I wish that it was a bit more polished with its combat, which is such an important part of metroid vaneas. But I find it interesting. I like the idea of being a cat in an afterlife, going to a bar and buying little juices from a bird and ticking on the boss fights. It locks you into spaces certain areas. Once you're in, you can't get out until you kill what's in it, and if you die, you just responded an earlier checkpoints, so it's not that punishing. I don't even think it has like a soul system, like I remember dying, and I don't think I had to like go find my souls. It's just a very not punishing death system. So but for the cat enthusiast that likes Metroid Vanas, this could be for you. I'm gonna keep playing it. I'm not done yet. I'd like to get at least five or eight hours in before I like make a very distinct choice on this. I think it does some creative things and also had some interesting boss designs. There was this really funky one with arms that comes out of it and then it claps you, and I thought that was pretty fun, like I like when they have creative designs. I also think the art style is nice. It feels kind of hand drawn to me. That vibe to it.
Speaker 1: It's almost like a Night In or Knight in the Woods.
Speaker 3: The style.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I think that's a good I think that's really fair I think it's good to say that this looks good.
Speaker 1: Oh there's like yeah, there's almost like hyper light drifter looking environments too.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's got a lot of traversal later on. That's very heavy platforming, So you're gonna want to enjoy your platformings to do this. But I I found that it grew on me after a couple hours. I think it's unfortunate that may be like the first three hours are a little slow, or you might be like this isn't pushing me enough, this isn't innovative enough. But I do think it gets there. You just got to give it probably like five to eight hours for it to warm up to you.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: I think it's worth playing, especially for someone who wants a metroidvany in their life.
Speaker 1: Well. Yeah, the cat looks just like my cat Luna.
Speaker 4: It's got that flat evil face for sure.
Speaker 1: Yeah, huge eyes and soulless. No, there's a lot of souls to herd.
Speaker 4: It looks like evil.
Speaker 1: No, she's very sweet. She just doesn't like.
Speaker 4: You evil face, evil presence.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I want to try this out.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I think it's worth it. I I have enjoyed it so far and do recommend it. I just think that it's got some rough edges still.
Speaker 1: Okay, good to know, Dan, anything else you want to set one, let.
Speaker 2: Me kind of lightening around some short ones here, just some updates and some new things. While I was in London checking out Metal Year Solid Delta, I also played a game called Deliver at All Costs. It's a new one coming from Kanami. It is like a isometric driving game. You can get out of your car and run around. But it reminded me of like the early GTAs, but you're just like driving around delivering stuff and it's very very weird humor. That was very much working for me. It's a lot of like, Oh, I have all these like shitty rotten watermelons that I want to sell, but nobody wants them, so I'm going to like take them around. Or they were like they were like rotten something, and I spray panted them to look like watermelons and spray them with cologne or something, and just like you do a bunch of bullshit and then take it back to the same place and sell it to them as like new watermelons even though they're rotten. Grows fruit or here's like a live marlin that I'm strapping to the roof of my truck and I'm like driving it around. It's a lot of like weird physics stuff, driving through houses and fences, and of timed racing delivery kind of GTA type missions. But I was very, very impressed by the humor. It's very much in that kind of like weird sort of fifties kind of you know, Fallout type vibe, but funnier. So yes, I was. I was pleasantly surprised by that at an event that was all about metal gear and silent Hill metal gear. I will say just the short version, it's very very good. It's exactly what I think I would want out of a Meddle Year Solid three remake. For my full thoughts on it, I pulled out the old writing chops again. I wrote an article for GameSpot dot com, so if you just search GameSpot metal Gear Delta, you'll probably see my thing. I also put up a video on game spots YouTube where I narrated with some screenshots and things like that, but lots of quality of life things. Visuals are great. It's the same old voice acting that sounds great. So it's it's what I want. I am now confident in this one where I was skeptical before.
Speaker 1: It's my favorite. Wait wait, I have questions. That's my favorite.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah game Please.
Speaker 1: When you say it's just basically where you want, are they sticking to like are they being super faithful with the like level design and everything, it's still like.
Speaker 2: It's section yeah, like one to one, so like you will get to the breaking point between this area and that area, it fades to black, fades back in with the name of the new one at the exact same spot.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 2: I wonder if they're gonna cause I only play the virtuous mission, so I do wonder what things like the end boss fight. Well, that'd be more of a contiguous, you know, like big open area. But I mean it seems like they are like very cognizant of like we are not straying from Hideo Kajima's vision here. This is as it was. It's just going to play better and look better.
Speaker 1: Yeah. When you say play better, are like animations wise? Is it the Phantom Pain engine.
Speaker 2: I don't know engine wise, but they had made some control tweaks where it's like switching between weapons is on the dpad now instead of the triggers like you know middle ar one through four where it's got like hot swap stuff with camos, so like you can just hold in a deepad button and like switch CAMO on the fly. You can you know, use the dpad you kind of like just call someone in the without going to the dedicated screen. But if you want to, you can still do the old way. One thing I really loved was like tooltips, because like CQC was a cool system and snake eater, but you could do so much with it that I would forget how to do specific things. And this one, like you know, you grab a guy with I think it's R two now instead of circle, and things will pop up like this is for human shield, this is for slip throat, this is interrogating. It's like, oh thank you. It's right there. Like you're dangling off a bridge and it'll like remind you, like, oh, hold this to aim your gun, and it's like, oh right, I can aim while I'm hanging. Like I was doing more stuff that I could have done back then, but it was just it was it's easier to surface now that thanks to the tooltips.
Speaker 1: Okay, so I asked about the animation specifically just because Phantom Pain and Ground Zeros are like the best feeling third person games that come to mind. The way it transitions from prone to crouch standing.
Speaker 2: Here, it's closer.
Speaker 5: It's closer to Fano Pain than it was the original Snake Eater.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, And there's things where it's like you can roll from a standing position. Now you know it. All the buttons have changed around everything, but in a way that feel immediately recognizable to like a modern gamer where it's like you go back Snake Eater. I'm sure you and I can go back and we remember how to do all this, but it feels weird going back to if you've never played it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean I love those games with all my heart, especially Snake Eater. Im I'll be the first to admit it's like or I'll be the first to acknowledge rather it's not the most intuitive button layout. Maybe there's a universe where every game is designed like that, but I think the wider games industry has kind of figured out some more seamless control schemes.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I think this is the perfect line of like, people like me and you that love Snake Eater are going to love it. And also if you're coming to it for the first time, both in terms of where it's at in the story and how it controls. I think it will feel great to jump into for the first time now, so very very happy with that. A couple of other quick ones. Castaway is like a little miniature Zelda in the way that like like a minute or half minute hero where these like very condensed experiences of like a Zelda type game or an RPG. This is a game that the first time you beat it, you'll beat in like a half hour, and it sucks, Cassia, I know, it really does. Yeah, but it's like there's like a few dungeons, there's boss fights, boss keys, you're getting heart pieces, it's like there's an overworld. It's all of the Zelda trappings are there. It's just like like a speed run. There is actually like a speed run mode. But yeah, you'll beat it like thirty minutes the first time. I bet you can beat it in like five to ten minutes easy the second time. But it's yeah, I don't know, it kind of gets a lot of the beats. It's like, you know, almost like a baby's first Zelda kind of gets you all day, like, oh, you get a hookshot. You fight this boss and move on to the next thing, like it's got a death mountain area. But yeah, it's very much billing itself. Is like this is like a very short dog. Oh yeah, it's a save your Dog, so you get your items back and the save your Dog. That's it. It's a very breezy but very fun.
Speaker 1: Love.
Speaker 2: I love a good Zelda like that has like an interesting little tweak on it, and this being like the super fast Zelda was fun for me.
Speaker 4: This is a really good game idea. I love this. The idea of it's like it's a it's a bite sized version of Selda you're meant to like play quickly. I love this.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and then when you beat it, there's like a fifty floor like tower mode with almost like a Rogue Light thing where you're leveling up as you go through and you can buy upgrades and stuff. So there's a little bit past that, but yeah, I really really enjoyed my short time with that. And last update is just Steamworldhist two. I've continued to play that and I'm pretty far into that at this point. With all the flights, that has been my go to flight game, and it's a real good one for just killing time on a flight, because like every one of those missions, you're thinking so much about every turn you make, and I'm restarting missions all the time just to make better decisions and save crew maids. And yeah, before you know it, you know, hours have passed. I think Heighs two is one of my favorite Steam World games.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I talked about it last episode and you're gone. I've put a lot of time into it. I'm still playing that too, really really good, like a bunch. I especially like it's one of the more interesting or enjoyable strategy layers in an xcom, like the just the yeah, upgrading the submarine and I like the world itself, the World's it themselves.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that loop is amazing. Like going back to your you know, sleeping at the end of the day, you know, going to do your sub upgrades and new personal upgrades and things like that, trying to find like a shop I want to do I want to.
Speaker 1: Buy recruit a new member, or do I want that heavy machine gun on my sub Or do I want to get a upgraded sledgehammer for my tank class?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Melee class.
Speaker 2: Yeah, a lot of personality, good writing, good visuals, just love that kind of like two D tactical thing that's got going on. It's a lot of fun.
Speaker 1: Yeah, marry anything else you've been playing?
Speaker 4: Yes, one more. I also found this on the Twitter. A dev was talking about a game that they made and how they were kind of getting good reviews but not enough reviews, and I was looking at the game style and I was like, this kind of looks cool. So I ask them for a key and I've been playing it and I am into this game. Uh rco is. I'm trying to think of how you of a game that you can compare it to, but side scroll with combat that when you're making your action it stops, but it is live action when you're moving around, so you have to like make your decisions, but when it's your turn to make a decision, it stops, so you can think about it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it does sound like oh like Frozen synaps was this was a game that kind of did something along those lines back in like twenty sixteen. But yeah, it's.
Speaker 4: Real time, but it pauses that you can like ards me like a Kotour.
Speaker 5: I don't know if you ever played that, but like the combat in.
Speaker 4: That someone when I was streaming it was like, hey, this kind of reminds me of Transistor, and I was like, oh yeah, like you know where you can like stop and think for a second, but it is real time and you have to be moving around. So this is what that's very similar. This game is a RPG, it blends turn based in real time combat. But I really like that the stories are very raw. It's very bloody, it's very murdery, and it feels like it's kind of in a old American style, like old old Western. And you are a rugged, ruthless dude. You don't really have a name, or when you do, you don't really give a shit. You don't meet people, you know, you can decide how you talk to people, so you can when you meet people, you can be like, I don't give a shit what your name is, little little billy, or you can like actually be nice to them. You can decide like how aggressive you are right away, within the first thirty minutes of this game, violence will happen. That's I think pretty intense, and so you're it's setting the tone that this is an adult themed situation where you're like killing people who have killed people. You can decide if you are an anti hero or a hero multiple times. I have essentially helped people because let's say lizards were killing their livestock, and so I go kill the lizards. You can decide whether or not you do that. You can actually not help people. You can avoid doing the little extras for the townspeople. I liked doing them and trying to help everyone out, but very rugged and very intense. I died a lot playing this. You have to be very thoughtful with your upgrades. Upgrades are precious, and so whether or not you get a heavy arrow arc that will stun enemies, or whether you go with a knife attack that doesn't stuck them but does more damage close up is up to you. You get to use your you get to pick your character pyramid the way you want to build it. But because it's so precious, I think you have to be very thoughtful with where you want to put all of your different skill sets. I got really into arc arrows that do AoE damage, and so I'm more of a shoot and run away like a little bitch type aggressor. I shoot my arrow, I run like hell. I shoot my arrow, I run like hell. But you have to mix it up, especially with the way they throw enemies at you. I loved the different dynamics that they gave us throughout the I would say, like the ten or twelve hours that I've been playing with it so far, I've been thrown into all sorts of different scenarios that I have thought were very interesting. There's also environmental kills. A lot of spaces in the environment explode upon damage. It's really fun to have like six bad guys be like, we're gonna kill you unless you give us five dollars, and it's like, over my dead fucking body, am I gonna give you five dollars? And I shoot the explosive and kill like five of them. Very rewarding. You kill all sorts of stuff in this game. You also get items that you can use to kill people with. I thought it was really interesting. I got dynamite and through it at a bunch of people and exploded them all at once, and one one playthrough, I also did one that's sticky and it makes them not be able to move, So if you have a fast enemy that's zip zipping around, you can make them stuck where they are. Beautiful. This is a beautiful game. You will look at it and you will say oh what, this is just like eight bit It's gorgeous.
Speaker 2: I'm looking at it now. Yeah, it's got Do you ever play West Torado? Yeah, it's got kind of that, like very pixelated, like Western aesthetic for sure. Like I don't mind that.
Speaker 4: The music matches the Western aesthetic to a t. I also think the writing feels quite authentic and genuine. I've played a lot of games like this where they're just like this trown big enough for the two. This is very well written. You can tell that the writers or the people who have made this are quite invested in having authentic representation of the characters that they are having in this game. I think it's quite thoughtful. Of all the games that I'm talking about, I think this is the one that I kind of can't put down as of late. Like I just get really excited when I get to play this game. It plays like a dream on the switch, and it lends itself to a casual experience. I think this is a great plane game. I think you could play this and do a couple tasks when you're on your plane.
Speaker 1: This is.
Speaker 4: A game that I think has a lot of promise, and I also think it's a bit of a hidden gem. I don't think people are talking about Arco enough for how well made it is, how thoughtful it is, and how enjoyable it is, So i'd really this is like the one for me.
Speaker 2: Okay, I'm making a note to download this on the Steam deck. That sounds solid cool?
Speaker 1: All right? That was all for me was I've been playing some other older stuff. Like I said, I've been mean to try Alien Dark Descent came out last year. Had it downloaded Steam forever. It's like a top down real time Xcom esque or like maybe like top down Republic Commando but set in the Aliens universe. I mean to play that. But I also started a new Xcom two campaign because I love just seeing what new mods people have come up with over the over the years. But yeah, outside of that, nothing major. Do you want to do emails?
Speaker 2: Yanks? Do it?
Speaker 1: Okay? Before we jump into emails, reminder, you can ride into fire Escape cast at gmail dot com. That is fire Escape cast at gmail dot com for comments, questions, stuff you want to be read on air. If you do have any corrections, I will only read them if they are directed at Dan and Mary. Mary, do you want to read this? First question? We have from Matthew. Maybe I should have. No. I meant I saw it was fairly long, but that's because it was also in regard to something we were talking about today, So makes sense.
Speaker 4: Here we go, Hey, Gang, following your discussion about the Alien franchise this week, and I was reminded that I have never seen Alien or Alien's or pretty much any of the other movie that is, actually.
Speaker 1: How you alien Aliens?
Speaker 4: Alien?
Speaker 2: The name Ali, you can't even do it.
Speaker 4: It's like alien, Croatian alien.
Speaker 5: Yeah, that's you're closer alien.
Speaker 1: I'm trying to think of what what word do you are?
Speaker 2: You?
Speaker 1: Do you actually pronounce the A correctly.
Speaker 2: Like that al like Al Bundy, it's alien alien and the letters e in is how he says it end.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so could continue to wear it.
Speaker 4: The only one I've ever seen is Prometheus, a film that, as far as I can tell, is largely disliked by fans of the series. But I freaking love that movie. I was super hyped when it came out and was not disappointed. The funny thing is that I don't know that it was Alien film until the very end when it shows the Xenomorph, which, if you recall, is literally the last five seconds of the movie. I'm sure for fans of other movies it might have well been have had this is an alien movie flashing on the screen the whole time, But I was clueless. So my question for you is, are there any games or movies or books that are that you like but you're entirely unfamiliar with the series. Have you ever tried a late entry in a series and been inspired to go back and try the originals or even some you feel like you don't need to experience the original to enjoy the newest one. Thanks for my favorite podcast. It's a highlight of mowing my every two weeks. Much love, Matthew from Bentonville.
Speaker 1: I've been to Bentonville. You have not. I absolutely, phil Arkansas, where I went to school, is like an hour from there. Bentonville's famous for its big like Christmas blowout decorations and market. Matthew, correct me if I got any of that wrong, But yeah, I've been to Bentonville. That's really funny that you didn't know that that was an Alley movie till the end. That's like the Bit and Sonny where Charlie thinks the twist in the sixth sense is that it was Bruce Willis the whole time, like the actor was Bruce Willis the whole time. That's funny, like you, that's a different twist than I think they intended.
Speaker 2: I was kind of late to Ratchet it was the third one because I just thought they were like kids games. And then like IGN gave the third one, I think up your arsenal and like a nine point eight or something, and I was like, what, that's a really high score, and so I checked it out. It's like, Oh, it turns out these are fucking great, And I went back and played the originals, and.
Speaker 1: I mean that's how I was with Metal Gear Solid. What was your first Snake Eater?
Speaker 2: Oh, that is a good first one because chron like in the timeline, it's great. Box first one was four, which is fucking crazy.
Speaker 5: Is the most fan service, you know.
Speaker 2: I hope you've read up on all this stuff before we show you movie length cut scenes. And she liked it.
Speaker 1: All right.
Speaker 2: Cool.
Speaker 1: If ever, there's a game that's going to turn you away, and I love that game. But if there's a game that's going to push you away from the series, that's it.
Speaker 2: If you were into the series, though it is the most like here is.
Speaker 1: Like, yeah, yes, Snake Eater, and then I went back to play one and immediately missed a lot of the stuff. So yeah, it's funny because Snake Eater introduced so much stuff, like just the fact that it had so many like outdoor stealth options and different movement and the camouflage, survival light kind of elements. I missed those in Metal of Your Solid but going back to see where it's from, uh, Metal of Your Slid one is still my second favorite of the series after Snake Eater. I'm trying to think anything else. There's probably movie series that aren't occurring to me yet, but I think the big one was Snake Eater because Zelda Zelda might not count as much because it was an age thing. My first Zelda was Ocarati, and then going back to those early ones was obviously pretty rough until I got to link to the past, which was, you know, still to this day, really really good game design that holds up really well.
Speaker 2: But and visuals.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Okera enough time is was my first Zelda and now that's become probably my favorite series.
Speaker 2: There, you got me.
Speaker 4: Shows would be really interesting for games. I definitely played Half Life two first, and I felt fine. I felt totally in control of that situation, that there was nothing that I'm missed other ones let me think, uh you go, I can't think of any I definitely had.
Speaker 2: The order I watched Rocky was really fucked up. And it's because of my age. So I was born in eighty four. So the first one I remember seeing was five, which is universally considered the shitty one, the only shitty one. Well yeah, but the thing is we I saw five, I think in the theater, and then we had it on VHS, and so I watched it all the time on VHS before I ever saw another Rocky, and so like at the beginning, they would show the Drago fight, and every time I'd watch Rocky, five would be like, Man, this shit looks cool. Who's that big fucker from Russia? But I never saw four for years, So I went like five, one, four, two three was the order I think, which invested up.
Speaker 1: Might be the weirdest order you could watch those, but I still obviously fucking love it. But it's like from five to like a genuine Oscar worthy movie, to four, which is the best movie ever made, to two, which is like the continuation of the Oscar.
Speaker 2: Yeah, three was like late, and by the time Bebo came out, I was pretty caught up.
Speaker 5: But yeah, but I love five. I mean I didn't know any better.
Speaker 2: It was the first one I saw, and so like it's almost a good way because it's like, oh, man, I love this character, I love this format and this music, and then it's like, oh, now here's the good ones after that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's the only way you can enjoy Rocky five is if it's the first movie you watch.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and you're also, you know, six years old. Yeah.
Speaker 1: We also that games were a total war I played the Warhammer games, then went back to the historical stuff, and then they didn't have wizards and dragons and shit. So I was a bit torn on them.
Speaker 2: Final Fantasy I didn't really try. I tried a lot of seven, eight and nine or seven and nine. I tried a lot of a good one.
Speaker 1: Because he also asks, here, what's a game that you enjoyed where you don't feel like you need to play the other game in the series. I love six, I love was It, I love nine, but I and ten, but I don't. I have no intention of playing any other Final Fantasy at.
Speaker 4: This point, I got it the Witcher.
Speaker 5: Oh yeah, what even is in there?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 2: How do you play? What's it about? I've never seen it outside of Poland.
Speaker 1: It's text based RPG.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Poland.
Speaker 2: It's a dice game.
Speaker 1: You could only play it out of music.
Speaker 4: You get it in Poland?
Speaker 2: Yeah, like fan hacks and stuff.
Speaker 1: Yeah, no, that's a good one because I have I have played the first two and like Jake might disagree, but if you played Richard three and are been like meaning to play one and two, you don't need to look up a synoposive. And that's not to take away from the fact they do some cool stuff.
Speaker 2: But I'd be willing to about the large majority of GTA fans started with three, four or five or maybe Vice says today. Yeah, like I started with one and two the top downs, and like I remember thinking those are pretty fucking crazy for their day, But like, I don't know, three is when it kind of entered the like super duper mainstream. Everyone's played this, you.
Speaker 1: Know, Oh dude, I mean, I mean, statistically speaking, GTA five is so big that it's it's alive today. I don't know why people who start with four would be dead yet but.
Speaker 2: I would suggest one that you can't just hop on now is if you if you're curious about Call of Duty, you need to go back to the first one. Otherwise nothing's gonna make it. So you got to play every Call of Duty in order, every one of them, even like the Big Red One and the DS one, or you're not going to know what the fuck's going on.
Speaker 1: I like that you just combined the what you just did with those two titles. Do you realize what you just did? No, you said the Big Red One as if it's like the game is a big red one, because then you said and the DS one big red Bone.
Speaker 2: But the Big Red One was the game. Yes one is like Mobilized.
Speaker 1: From World War Two. That also reminds me. And now I'm just thinking a series where it's like I played a really good game and now I either went back to try the earlier ones and they didn't hold up, or like I didn't need to fall Out. It's a good example. Fallout three is one of my favorites. I went back to play one and two when I was younger. Really cool stuff going on, Like if they do a remake, I think a lot of like Balder's Gate three fans would be psyched, but like you do not need to play those first two in their current state because they don't hold up well. And Fallout three obviously is just night and Day. It's open world onward, you know.
Speaker 2: On that same track. I would guess that Elder scrolls the same way, yes, because I think, like you know, I definitely know a lot of more wind like big time fans like Bonks the biggest one, and obviously Oblivion Skyrim got huge, but I don't hear anyone talking about one or two.
Speaker 1: The Arena and Daggerfall are again, like honestly like they're like the Bethesda catalog of RPGs had like that one to two phase where different developers completely different styles, and then they took some really cool world building and then just went, you know, basically established the formula for like free form open worlds going forward, and from the early adds to the twenty tens.
Speaker 5: Yeah you again, I.
Speaker 1: Think there's some cool remake material there, like remake not remaster. And again I'm not saying there's not cool stuff in all those but yeah, god, Moroin is still well worth trying out just to like just to see what it's like play five hours that game if you haven't before, and then if it doesn't hook you, that's fine, you've still seen what cool stuff it's doing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, just hearing the stuff Bonk is described about that game, it's like it seems like it was doing some bold, crazy shit, like maybe even before a lot of the hardware, especially the Xbox was ready forward.
Speaker 1: It literally wasn't the draw distance in that game you can't see past like.
Speaker 2: The load times and stuff where it like actually like shuts down the system and restarts it.
Speaker 1: And yeah, yeah, I wrote a very very good article about that game on Polygon. Anybody who hasn't rid it, go look up twenty years later morowin looking back on mor and twenty years later the game that RPG that changed everything. I might be butchering that, but that's those keywords. We'll get you there. Yeah, I mean I think that it's very I'm sure there's like movie series. It's tougher for me to think of specifically because a it's way easier to go back to an early movie and spend like ninety minutes two hours watching it. Yeah, it's not easy to tell me.
Speaker 4: From personal experience that I don't know anything about Marvel, and I haven't been paying attention to the series, but I watched Thor Ragnarok and I thought it was pretty good, and I know, nothing.
Speaker 1: Too, Yeah, because it's like that's especially good because that's funny because Marvel the franchise itself is built for you to watch any of them and then like they hope you go back and watch all the thirty five previous ones because they're so interconnected. There's easter eggs. But I like that Taiko whit TD came along in main one where it's like, no, this is just funny on its own, and you don't it's like a heist action. You don't need to don't worry about the first Thor movie and whatnot. Yeah, but yeah, games are just so much harder, like they've evolved so fucking quickly in the last forty years or whatever it is, and they're also much more time consuming, so it's easier to go back and watch Like like Matthew hasn't seen Alien Alien, sorry, and absolutely if our earlier conversation didn't que you in, you should watch Alien and Aliens immediately. They hold up really well. But it's like, you know, going back to dagger Fall and Arena are that's way different or even like early balders Gate games, Like I'm sure there's a lot of balders Gate three fans who have wanted to go back to one and two and are finding it it's like, no, I'd rather just start a new run in three because these are a bit dated.
Speaker 2: Or even interesting ones where it's like I could see people getting into Middle Year Solid five because like that gameplay is so good and it's not doesn't really require a ton o story knowledge because there's not that much story in that game, and then like if you went back to the early Middle Years, it's like, well this is a different thing, you know, Like I love five, but it's I love it for very different reasons than one through four.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I also wonder if, like Breath of the Wild got some young people into the series and they're like, huh, different, there's some stuff there. It's just funny to think that, like we came into Breath of the Wild thinking, Okay, they took like the eight dungeon format, sprinkled mini ones all over in an open world, whereas those people would go back like, oh, they took shrines and made eight huge ones yeah, with like a pretty bare bones open world between them. But anyway, thank you Matthew for writting in uh uh looking. I'm not going to go to Bentonville this year, but I had fun when I was there. Dan, you want to read this one from Erin.
Speaker 2: Or High Fire Escapers. I know would you rather questions are overdone, but I think there's no better crew to discuss this important question. Would you rather slip and fall every time you enter a new room or have to scream every fifth word you say at the top of your lungs. That's Aaron from Dallas scream. Definitely scream. There's no injury risk.
Speaker 4: There's no injury.
Speaker 1: I agree.
Speaker 4: As we get older, as we enter our older stages, I can't afford to fall.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'd be risking serious injury so many times a day versus like, Oh, I'm gun of embarrassed. Every once in a while.
Speaker 4: You could get like a fall guard.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 4: Have you seen that new thing that like you wear it as a jacket as a person and when you fall just just.
Speaker 2: Like take an airbag for your body. Yeah, wantsn't have to wear that. I'll just tell people, Hey, I got this weird thing a Genie cursed me.
Speaker 1: No, you wouldn't you like weird thing, like, hey, I've got this weird.
Speaker 2: Right down. I'd hand everyone a note when I enter a room or get on a plane.
Speaker 1: You wouldn't finish the explanation before you do the thing.
Speaker 5: You're explaining why it's the note, That's why it's the note.
Speaker 1: I would absolutely at this point in my at any point, I would rather slip and fall because you're twenty. Yeah, I'm twenty years old. I think you're young.
Speaker 4: Your bones will be fine.
Speaker 2: Fine.
Speaker 1: Both are going to do damage your reputation. I think the screaming one is going to do it worse. But yeah, to Mary's point, you could prevent as much as you can some physical stuff.
Speaker 4: I would just get like a mobility aid, and then I would I would just avoid. I would I would cheat the system.
Speaker 1: You would do the fall thing, yeah, and then I would sit.
Speaker 2: Oh see. I feel like as you get older, you worry less about embarrassment and more about physical harm, and so I think it's the long term play to go with the screaming.
Speaker 1: There are also people that live with both of these problems for real, but like for the record.
Speaker 2: Time to go into a room that I don't know if that's a malady that people that's what.
Speaker 1: So then you're thinking it's like, Okay, you're going to a like a not that we any of us really do business lunches unless we're at a convention, but like say you're going to like a professional lunch, do it. You're gonna slip when you walk into the restaurant. Yeah, hopefully you don't have to go to the bathroom, because every.
Speaker 2: Time I peel lot, I'm falling on every bathroom floor I've ever gone to.
Speaker 4: Is it is it a new room in the sense that it's a room that's never been.
Speaker 2: Into before, or is there like a twenty four hour cool down, like you're safe for a bit and then after midnight, though, you fall in that bathroom again.
Speaker 1: It would be more it would be more manageable if it was like every brand new room. Yeah for the first time.
Speaker 2: So like my house, like when I first move into my house, I'm falling for all of them.
Speaker 1: Then you're a plan ahead. You could go to that restaurant that you know you have a business lunch.
Speaker 2: At the fall Oh dinners at seven, I'm gonna get there six thirty and fall down break in and just I'll just get there early and I'll explain it. I'll hand the note to the wait. No, I don't have the scream anything. I don't need a note. I can just talk.
Speaker 4: I'll have.
Speaker 1: Imagine imagine seeing security cameras have a break in and a restaurant and someone just kicks down the door, slips, runs through into the kitchen, slips, goes into the dry storage, slipslips.
Speaker 2: And boat bathrooms, runs out, doesn't steal anything. Yep, it comes back for dinner the next day.
Speaker 1: It's going to scar the security guard for the rest of his life. What's the worst place? What is the worst situation where like building you could be in where the slip and fall would like be a nightmare more than spike factory.
Speaker 4: Mouse trap and glass factory.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's bad.
Speaker 4: You guys always made in the same space, or.
Speaker 1: Like a every time you go into a new room when you're sprinting to catch a flight at the airport, it's.
Speaker 2: All kind of one room though, Like what determines a new room. I think a door. I think it's a door, Like a standard sized doorway is a new room.
Speaker 1: TSA is like okay, step forward.
Speaker 5: You go to the metal each shit.
Speaker 2: Through again.
Speaker 1: Yeah, if it's not a new room and you actually, like every time you go through the doorway, you slip coming bit towards TSA and then slip going back.
Speaker 2: Getting onto the jetway, getting onto the plane, moving between first class.
Speaker 1: And coach, slipping and falling in a plane bathroom.
Speaker 2: It's not good.
Speaker 1: Uh yeah, I'm just there's got to be like just at the met or the Natural History Museicum, we're not going to every new exhibit. Everybody's being quiet and observing, like you know, just being really respectful. And or a library in general will be funny. Or a ice floor, yeah, like a nice floor building, a hockey rink.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's what you're describing. And that's just kind of one big room, so you're probably okay. You know, like a turf a turf floor bowl, turf floor bowl.
Speaker 1: Yeah, go Spelunking The Descent would have been a very different movie with this melody.
Speaker 4: You'd never make it.
Speaker 1: I would. I would still got the slip and fall regardless of that assigned it.
Speaker 2: You're gonna you're gonna regret that.
Speaker 4: I gotta go with the yell. I feel like already yell every fifth word.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's the thing. I'm like halfway there, like you might as well as leaning, but what if like what if you just adjusted, you're talking to all your words. No, yeah, just scream everything and then it doesn't even stand out stand out still, I mean, but not as like staccato, you know, like oh man, he keeps doing this weird thing. It's more like, oh he just yells everything.
Speaker 4: You get one of the those masks like Baine, and it just mutes you a little bit.
Speaker 2: I think that's cheating.
Speaker 1: So I was breaking into a restaurant to slip around it for a bit.
Speaker 5: That was your idea. I wasn't gonna break the law.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you didn't call me out for cheating.
Speaker 2: That's true.
Speaker 5: Look, we approach these things differently.
Speaker 1: Yeah, fair enough, all right, Well thank you Aaron from delas Well. That's our that's our episode. Good stuff, more more stuff. If I want like a genuine I feel like anytime we get a would you rather? We've been pretty it's been fairly civil. It's been pretty cordial. We've never really been like, you're fucking wrong. I want someone to send in a genuine stumper for us that like divides.
Speaker 4: Us, come get us.
Speaker 5: We're reasonable adults, but yeah, they can test that.
Speaker 1: I want one that's really gonna test us, but yeah, I right that into fire Escape Cast at gmail dot com. If you're not a patron, you can go to firescapecast dot com. You can go to Patreon look for us. You can contribute just a few dollars if you want to treat like a tip jar you appreciate what we do. Or you can get the ad free episodes or the video versions of every episode, and you can also get clued into when we're gonna have bonus episodes. You'll let access to those. We have a few. We've been planning all tons of travel. We do have some ideas percolating. We got to make them happen because we really want to. You can also go subscribe to our YouTube channel. Right now, Mary and I are very close to the end of resume four remakes in our ongoing Residue Canievil series. This one has been taken particularly long again, just a very busy year. But you'll know when those publish if you subscribe to our channel there, and that's also where we put all those bonus episodes. So here's kind of two birds, one stone. Mary tell them what they can get at Firescape merch dot com.
Speaker 4: Oh, you can be getting some hot merch we just had to purchase. I'm not gonna call them b out in case it's a gift. You never know. But we've just been getting some people getting some really nice T shirts. I can't wait to see your banana yellow logos. You're about the author shirts. You post them, I'll retweet them. I love it, enjoy that march.
Speaker 1: Dan Yes, does does do the reviews help at all any more of these days? Uh?
Speaker 2: It's a I feel like the last I heard about that being a big thing was like when I was at Debitu, Like, oh, yeah, I get the five star reviews, but hey, look, if you're looking to do something, yeah you can give us five stars.
Speaker 5: It's not gonna hurt.
Speaker 1: It'd be nice if it was like Steam and it said like overwhelmingly positive US reviews, because I feel like we'd get whatever the top tier is. But yeah, of course reviews if you like it. Right outside of that, that's a that's about it for the ways you can support us. But uh, Mary, what do you have going on outside of Firescape?
Speaker 4: I did a different podcast. I still love you guys, but I did a podcast called Objectively Positive Podcast, which I really really enjoyed. I was invited on by Tatum. I hung out with Tatum at the Giant Bomb at Night at E three this past year, and we talked about media, any media that's had a really positive influence on your life and or just hugely impactful. And I gush about Rocket League for an entire hour. I talk about how much impacted game Spot and the team there, and how much we loved it and all the fun we had with it, and how much it had me of lasting friendships with my coworkers just because of Rocket Leagues. So I encourage you to listen to Objectively Positive Podcast. Good good stories in there. I really enjoyed doing that.
Speaker 1: Nice Dan, what about you?
Speaker 2: Giant Bomb got some fun stuff from Germany That travelog should be up if you go to the YouTube channel. Or also have Mike Benatti playing through Alone in the Dark for the we on Blake Club where we play the worst games ever and that has been hilarious, So check that out. But yeah, Twitch, Now that I'm done with most of the travel stuff, probably doing some more streaming on Twitch Slash Dan Reichert, that's my stuff.
Speaker 1: Nice. I'm just here a Firescape cast outside of my day job. Well great, it was episode eight nine. We will be back episode ninety in a couple of weeks. At that point, I'm trying to think there actually might be a couple. Oh that'll be the day after I turn twenty one.
Speaker 2: Big planets probably, yeah, yeah, get video first.
Speaker 1: Ooh, if you're not a video page? Am I allowed to drink on Patreon?
Speaker 2: It? I guess I'm gonna make ane. I'm going to show you some wine.
Speaker 1: Wine seems pretentious. You're you're a big boy now, seems a bit too high brow. Do you have any white Zinfandels?
Speaker 2: It's my favorite?
Speaker 1: Oh nice, I'd like to try.
Speaker 4: That's all drink?
Speaker 1: Isn't it a bag?
Speaker 4: Yes, a goon sack.
Speaker 1: I've heard good things. But yeah. We'll be back on September twenty third. The Fall it's here. I like it, me too, holding down this weekend in theory.
Speaker 4: Yeah, sorry, all.
Speaker 1: Right, well ally right, thank you for joining. We appreciate it. As always, We'll see you on the next episode of fire Escape Cast.
Speaker 3: Bye. St