Speaker 1: It's Night Side with Dan Ray on WBSY, Boston's news radio.
Speaker 2: Great day, everybody, Thank you very much, Nicole. As we head towards the midnight hour, yeah, we will be talking about Tariff's tonight is the that is the elephant in the room. Pardon the pun if you happen to be a Republican, Donald Trump's Liberation Day. And we will be talking with Boston Globe business and financial columnist Larry Edelman beginning at nine o'clock. But before we get to Larry and that question and so many questions about all of that, it is time for us to open up our conversation with four very interesting guests. Before we do that, let me reintroduce myself. My name is Dan Ray. I'm the host of Nights I'd heard here every Monday through Friday night from eight until midnight. Rob Brooks is back and broadcast Central. He's set to take your phone calls when we talk about Harris beginning at nine o'clock and feel free. I'm sure there'll be some strong points of view on both sides of that topic. First, I'd like to introduce to all of you doctor Miles Jenkin. Doctor Jenkin, welcome to nights side. How are you, sir?
Speaker 3: I am great. Thank you so much for having me. Dan.
Speaker 2: We're going to talk about Alcohol Awareness Months. And you're the director of Recovery Centers of America here in Massachusetts. I think the title is self explanatory, but tell us a little bit more about recovery Centers. How long it's been around and what success has it had.
Speaker 3: Sure, we've been around for the last eight years. We operate twelve facilities in multiple states, mostly in the Northeast and the Midwest. In Massachusetts here I helped run two facilities, one in Westminster, Massachusetts, on the other one in Danvers. And our sole focus is taking care of patients with any type of substance use disorder and mental health disorder, everything from alcohol to opiates, you name it. So definitely during Alcohol Wareness Month, it's you know, a concern for us and something that we are passionate about.
Speaker 2: So let's focus on alcohol abuse and we certainly have talked about opiate abuse and all sorts of addictions. How big is the problem of alcohol abuse? Again, this is Alcohol Awareness Month? Has the percentage of Americans who are impacted adversely by the use of alcohol increased over time has the use of a number of Americans who use alcohol at all. I know that there's some trends and non alcoholic lifestyles give us some context on use versus abuse as it is today, as it has been twenty years ago, forty years ago.
Speaker 3: Sure. Yeah, the trend sadly has been increasing in terms of usage and morbidity immortality from diseases related to alcohol use. The latest data we have nationally is a couple of years old, So the latest data is from twenty twenty three. But the trend at that time was continuing as an upward trajectory of usage. Especially during the pandemic, the COVID nineteen pandemic, we saw a large increase in alcohol use. You know, it made sense because of the isolation and the loneliness that that was, you know, a common theme there. One good trend we have seen is younger Americans are drinking less. That's a really fantastic trend that we've seen. I think currently alcohol use disorder is our primary diagnosis that Recovery Centers of America in Massachusetts, so more than opiate's, more than any other illicit substance. Alcohols are primary diagnosis that we treat right now.
Speaker 2: Okay, I assume that opiate abuse can kill someone quickly or more quickly than alcohol abuse. But but but alcohol abuse, I assume is even more insidious as a consequence of that. Is that a general rule of thunders?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think that's a fair assessment. In toxicology, there's a little phrase that it's not the drug that kills you, it's the dosage. Right, so you take one time in all your finally, if you swallow a bottle, it'll it'll kill you. So same thing with alcohol, it's about how much you consume. Same thing with opiates. You know, opious are a little more dangerous in the sense that a smaller physical amount can be more fatal than the same physical amount of alcohol. But alcohol in terms of numbers can be you know, extremely deadly and serious as well.
Speaker 2: Okay, So let's talk generally for people who are out there and who are listening and are saying to the radio right now, well, yeah, I drink a little bit, but you know, I still function. I'm okay, what is the level and does of the amount of drinks, either wine, beer, or hard liquor that someone can deal with on an ongoing basis and basically not feel as if it's either taken over their life from an occupational point of view or from a physical or mental health point of view, or is any sure safe.
Speaker 3: Well, I think I'll just press this by saying no level of alcohol is safe. The old premise of one drink a day is protective for your health has really been debunked. That's not true anymore. Internationally, there's a consensus that alcohol in general is cardiotoxic neurotoxic. So I couldn't tell you that any amount is safe. But if you do drink and you want to be in moderation, what we worry about is binge drinking number one, which for males is five drinks or more in a two hour period, for females four drinks or more in a two hour period. And then the other thing we worry about is heavy drinking, and that's characterized by fifteen drinks or more per week in a male and eight or more drinks per week in a female.
Speaker 2: And it doesn't matter if it's you know, again, just to make it clear to my audience and everyone I'm sure is doing the math in the head right right now, doctor Jenkin, it doesn't matter. A glass of wine is the same as a light beer is the same as martini.
Speaker 3: Oh, I see what you're saying. Yeah, So what we call a standard drink, we're talking about fourteen grams of alcohol. So not to get two detailed for you, but for pure alcoholic's points, six ounces of alcohol equivalent to a twelve ounce speer. So when I say one drink, we're talking a twelve ounce beer or five ounces of wine, or one and a half ounces of a spirit.
Speaker 2: Okay, so we as we go forward here, what can people do who are listening tonight, who might be saying thinking to themselves, do I now have a problem based upon what doctor Jenkins has said? Are there surveys, you know, tests that people can can take through the recovery centers of America? What can people do? I mean, obviously, one thing you can do is talk to you doctor, and I'm sure that in the context of you know, doctor patient privilege, you can be honest with your doctor and say or oh, you know, here's what I do, doc. But what can what can they do in the meantime to get a real sense of where they might be if they're first of all, they're going to be honest, What should you do.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think you have a great point there, because the number of drinks is not necessarily as important. One thing we really worry about is does the person have control of their drinking? So if they have the inability to reduce their drinking or control their drinking, especially despite negative consequences like relationship problems or work problems, do you wise? That is one criteria that we characterize as alcohol use disorder, and that's a big problem. So if the person feels they can't control it despite negative consequences, that's an issue. And like you said, I would recommend talking to their physician first, talking to their primary care doctor as one step. Our team has a lot of resources to help you. Our website, you know, not even coming to Recovery Centers of America. You can come to our website and find a lot of resources there. It's Recovery Centers of America dot com. You can also call us twenty four hours a day if you want to, you know, talk about admission or even just talk about options that we have. And that's the number for us is one hundred recovery. So either way, whether you reach out to your doctor or to us, there's a lot of resources out there for help.
Speaker 2: Well, of course, dealing with your own doctor. You know, doctor patient privilege exists. Everyone understands that. Does someone can they call? Can they go on your website and we'll give that website in just a moment, in inanymity to not Some people get a little paranoid or I'm going to be traced here. It is my name going to be in a list somewhere. Do you do you track who calls or who?
Speaker 3: So we if you want to come into our facility, we would obviously need your name and your information. If you want to just call us to get advice, you know, we will talk to you regardless of if you want to tell us your name or not. That's absolutely fine. With addiction medicine, it's one hundred percent confidential. We actually fall onto more privacy restriction and laws federally because you're calling an addiction medicine center. So everything is one hundredercent confidential.
Speaker 2: With us, okay, And if they go to your website, it's not as if they're going to be tracked or they're going to get uh, you know, you know, solicitations and their and their you know, their their email address is going to be stockpiled somewhere. I just want to.
Speaker 3: Give now you people, we don't even need your email. You could just come to our website read, you know, learn, and just browse the website without in putting any information.
Speaker 2: Gotcha, perfect? Okay, website is.
Speaker 3: Recovery Centers of America dot com.
Speaker 2: Could be easier. Recovery Centers of America dot com. Doctor Miles Jenkins, thank you so much. Great great answers to my questions. And I think those are the questions that a lot of people might have had as they were listening. So you did a great job and I appreciate it. Thank you so much for talking again.
Speaker 4: Thank you so much. I appreciate it.
Speaker 2: Very welcome. We get back going to talk about the fifty greatest athletes in Boston sports history. You don't have to make a list, but you may maybe make a list in your own mind of five or ten and we'll see if they're they're kind of going to talk. The author and sportswriter Martin Gitlan coming right back on night Side after this break.
Speaker 1: It's Nightside with Dan Ray on w B Boston's news Radio.
Speaker 2: Delighted to be joined by Marty Gitlan. Marty has written a book about the fifty greatest athletes in Boston sports history. Marty Gitland, Welcome to Nightside.
Speaker 4: How are you good? Just great?
Speaker 5: Thank you so much for having me.
Speaker 2: It looks to me like you've done similar work for the in Saint Louis, a book about the Cardinals, a book about the New York Yankees, and the Detroit Tigers is the and it looks like they may be others now.
Speaker 5: And this the one on this, the one on the Red Sox.
Speaker 2: Well, I got the Red Sox here, Yeah, I got the Red Sox about the Indians, Yeah, I got it.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I did well. It was a seventh right. The publisher wanted me to keep brought in. The first ones I wrote were the Red Sox and the Cleveland Indian. I was a sports writer and Cleveland for many, many years. But anyway, those are the first ones I wanted to do because it was we were ended up doing a series.
Speaker 2: Were with the Plane Dealer.
Speaker 5: I was with the newth Hail that was the largest suburban daily in Ohio at the time UH in the nineties, and then I covered the Cleveland Browns actually for CBS Sports UH from two thousand nine of twenty twelve. That was a difficult situation because they were awful every single year for.
Speaker 2: A long time.
Speaker 6: You know, since they have well and well, yeah that goes back aways, but no, they were good and they with Birdie Coast are in the late eighties and for a while.
Speaker 5: But they they've been pretty.
Speaker 2: I mean, they didn't really get Yeah, they went.
Speaker 5: To the AFC Championship three times, but they didn't get to the Super Bowl. And the Browns are the Browns and the Lions are the only two long established teams that have never been to Super Bowl. So there you go.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, when when Bobby Lane comes out of retirement for the for the Lions, I think they're going to be in a lot. I have a great friend of mine down in the Cape who lives and dies with the Cleveland Browns. Greg is his first time. Yes, let me tell you. Every Sunday he is there figuring out watching somehow gets the Browns game. So let's talk about your book, which is the the book of the fifty greatest athletes in Boston sports history. Let me just look, everybody knows you're going to have Bobby Orr in there, right. I assume Phil Esposito's going to be in there as well. In terms of hockey. Yeah, I assume you got Bill Russell, Bob Coosey, you got Havlechek. I'm assuming you know guy played it when was a tryout, was drafted by the Cleveland Browns, and a pretty good basketball player.
Speaker 5: Yes, yes, Okay.
Speaker 2: In the Red Sox, we know we got Williams, Yastremsky and Rice. I assume we got left field covered right, Carlton Fisk, Pedro, Louis Tiant Clemens. We got all of that, and football Brady, et cetera. Let's talk about some of the lesson own athletes that you might have. Okay, how about Boston's Marathon Billy Rogers.
Speaker 5: No, now you're talking about these are? These are My book is about athletes that wore Boston uniforms. We're talking Red Sox games, Red Sox, Celtics, Patriots, and the Bruins. And then there's another section that towards the end of the book about athletes that were from Boston, that were from the Boston Rocky Marciano and so forth. And I just listed those.
Speaker 2: But the Marvin Hage. Okay, So, so we're talking about fifty athletes from the four major sports teams. I got it. I got it Red Sox Celtics.
Speaker 5: And I ranked them, which is a difficult thing to do because you know, generally books are written about one particular team, but one particular athlete. But I what I wanted to do here was rank the fifty greatest Boston athletes.
Speaker 2: All right, let's let's let's let's win. Let's win some people's appetizing. We're not going to give the story away. I promise you that many Okay, not a problem. Let's go all the way down to number fifty. Someone has to be in your opinion, the fiftieth just made the list. So can you tell us who was fifty and who was closest to fifty that didn't make the list?
Speaker 5: Well, well, you talked about Louis Tiant. He didn't make the list. I mean, you know the greatness of all these unbelievable athletes. But number fifty was Lefty Grove. Now LEFTI Grove was a picture in the nineteen thirties that they got from the Philadelphia A's, and he spent a lot of his time with the A's. And the one of the drawbacks of some of these athletes was that just didn't spend enough time in Boston uniforms, so they were you know, they were limited that way. But anyway, yeah, it was one of the interesting guys. I think one of the most fascinating guys that I ended up researching was guy named Tiny Thompson, Cecil Thompson. He was world way back when, a goaltender, yes, way way way back when. And yeah, and so I found that found him to be interesting. But you know, there were other athletes who I mean, Roger Clemens. I I ranked a number thirty seven, and one of the reasons I didn't have him higher was because of the the steroid accusations and also he pitched for other organizations for sure, sure, okay, right, sure, yeah, And you know, so.
Speaker 2: It's I gotta go to I gotta go to bat for Louis. I mean obviously pitched Twins. Yeah, pitched to the Indians. But Louis is a folk hero and a great and should be in.
Speaker 5: And he was a cigar smoker. Yeah he was.
Speaker 2: You know, I'm not saying I'm not well, I'm not saying he was the best conditioned athlete.
Speaker 5: Oh no, No, I was just I was just throwing that out there. But the big cigars that he's. Yeah, he was probably if I if I had gone to seventy five. But don't forget. He spent a huge number of years with the Indians as well.
Speaker 2: He had a few years with the Indies. Ye had a couple.
Speaker 5: Well, he was with the Twins with sixty four through through nineteen sixty nine, so we had sticked six years with Indians. Then he spent some time with the Twins, but he was, Yeah, he was with the Red Sox for quite some time. Don't forget.
Speaker 2: I'll give you a little I'll give you Marty a little trivia on Louis Tiant. Okay, the Red Sox through a pitcher who did will not make the list, throw no hit or Dave moorehead against the Indians.
Speaker 5: Yeah, September sixteen sixty six.
Speaker 2: I believe it was September sixteenth, Thursday afternoon. I had a couple of friends of mine and Moore had probably won fifteen games twenty games in his career, a pretty good pitcher, but just his arm went on him. He'd beat Tea on that day two zip.
Speaker 5: Oh yeah, Kean kind of fell apart in when the lower the Mountains nine he lost twenty games that year after she He probably should have won the Syug Award over Jenny McClain in sixty eight, but Denny Klayin won thirty one games. The difference was that Louis Tian had a significantly lower era than Denny McLain did that year. He just didn't The Indians could not hit at all and they didn't give him any run support whatsoever. And the Tigers obviously had a much better hitting team in sixty eight and then they and they won the you know, they won the world. Seriously, I think they hit hit.
Speaker 2: The Indians had that power. Hited Vic Davilo roaming center. So let's let's talk. We only got about a minute left here. So how can folks get the book? We haven't given away the story yet, right. I hope Dwight, by the way, let me ask you one. I hope Dwight Evans made this list.
Speaker 5: Oh yeah, Dewey's in there. Absolutely another guy we had great rate on. Yes, he's He's definitely borderline Hall of Famer, no doubt about it. Harold if yea, If Harold Bains is in, he should be in h But anyway, uh, they can go. The book is will be coming out around early May and and they can get it on Amazon. But they also if they want to get an autographed and personalized copy of the book, Uh, they should facebook me. Just send me a Facebook message. Marty Gitland g I t l I N. Marity g I t l I N. Send me a Facebook message and I will put you on the list. There's a it's already starting to form a little bit and a list of all the people that I'm going to be sending books to autographed and personalized.
Speaker 2: I will remind I will remind people it is a great Father's Day gift. There's no question about that. One more question in hockey. I hope you had Milt Schmidt on that list.
Speaker 5: Uh. Yes, Milt Schmid is in the book. And there's you know, it's it's pretty no Smith number thirty four. Yeah, it's pretty balanced between And that's just goes to show. I mean, yoused to see the top five I have and I'm not gonna reveal it. She is just absolutely amazing. I don't think any city in America. Way, if I did the same book for any city in America, the top five would be as.
Speaker 2: Look, I'll give you four of the job five, Ted Williams, Bobby or Bill Russell and Tom Brady.
Speaker 5: You got it, and number five shouldn't be that hard either. But I'm not going to tell you the order.
Speaker 2: Kyu Stremski.
Speaker 5: No, no, it wasn't a baseball player.
Speaker 2: Okay, fair enough, I will I will let you run at that point, Marty Gitland. Yeah, I love to have you back. I love sports. This is unfortunately a brief. We might be able to do an hour when the book comes out. Have your pr people called my producer, and maybe we can get some people call up and make some arguments. I'll argue for Louis Tiant, and other people might argue for someone else. We'll figure it out. Okay, fair enough, all right, you should have been my buddy Ted Lepsio. Somewhere in the book I suspect not but ted Lepsio. Uh. In terms of being a good, great athlete and a and a wonderful human being, he's top fifty. Actually he's right at the top. That's just a personal ship.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it sounds great. I'd love to come back.
Speaker 2: Yeah. He played for the Tigers, by the way, briefly played for a few teams briefly. Thanks again, Money we'll talk away. All right, you bet you. There comes the news at the bottom of the air. We're going to switch to hockey coming up next. It's going to sound like a sports show. We'll talk about spring allergies later, but we're going to talk about a team that I had never heard of, called the Columbus Chill. They basically paved the way for the NHL's Columbus Blue Jackets. We will explain with the author of another book when I get a couple of sports guys to talk about I'm in heaven. We'll be back right after this on night Side. My name's Dan Ray.
Speaker 1: Night Side with Dan Ray on Boston's Whose Radio.
Speaker 2: All right, I'm delighted to welcome doctor David pat Patson. Doctor Patson, how are you tonight?
Speaker 4: I'm doing great?
Speaker 5: Thank you.
Speaker 2: So you were the general manager, uh and the team president of the Chill Factor. So you're you co wrote this book with a fellow named Craig Mertz. But you live this dream and uh, what were you in the East Coast? The East East Coast talking?
Speaker 4: Yeah, East Coast talk and yeah, Columbus Chill.
Speaker 2: I'd uh from a client of mine who ended up coaching in that lege as a matter of fact. So I know a lot of about the league. But so are you you must be I assume a guy from uh what type of doctor? Are you a physician?
Speaker 4: No educational leadership?
Speaker 2: Fear enough? Okay, So I assume you're Columbus based and you you were able to get the team uh in in Columbus, and I guess it was. It says you were using Vekian marketing tactics. I know what Vekian marketing tactics are. You were doing everything you were turning you were turning the game, uh into entertainment and uh what were you guys drawing? How big? Were you? Playing in an older barn and older arena.
Speaker 4: Is our our facility? Facility was built in nineteen seventeen. I think we were playing in the oldest hockey arena in North America and h Boston at older I played it, maybe me, but uh yeah, we East coastalk the league. So that's equivalent of you know, I was in a baseball Reford Double A and uh uh uh are we had sixty about six thousand seats and we you know, had a lot of success in terms of sellouts and everything else. But there's really something that grand Columbus's attention. You know, it's a you know, this is a Buckeye.
Speaker 2: Town state O s U. You got it.
Speaker 4: State. It remains king of our state. Football remains king, but hockey has its place today with the Blue Jackets, and obviously that is a It was a major thing for the city and breakthrough.
Speaker 2: And people to get the Columbus crew and by the way, doctor Patson, people here in New England's to get the Columbus is the capital city. Many people think it must be Cincinnati or Cleveland. Columbus is the capital.
Speaker 4: From a city standpoint. It's also the largest city, although the metro are is a little bit bigger in Cleveland.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I didn't realize it was that it was that large. So any of your players during that period of time, it's tough to get from the e HL to the NHL. Any of your guys make it up to the NHL.
Speaker 4: Yeah, we had We had a half a dozen a dozen that did. Most of them were cup of coffee sort of got but we had players that went on and are still you know, uh major players. On the front office side of things, Uh well, dot Don Grenado who coached in Buffalo most recently head coach of the Sabers. Was both a player force at the beginning of our franchise, which only ran eight years before it gave way to the Jackets. So uh for two years as a player and then uh, then he got into coaching and they came back to coach us for the last two years of the franchise.
Speaker 2: So he must be a member, he said Granado. Is he a member of the of Tony Grenado's family and all that's a big Tony Cammy.
Speaker 4: Yeah, we watched Cammy Cammy very closely during that time too.
Speaker 2: The South. They grew up in the South throw here in Massachusetts, south throw of Boston, so we looked back. We claimed them as Boston people at this point. So let me ask you as you as you move around, you're still based? Are you still based in Columbus?
Speaker 4: Well, I was here. I came to Columbus for to start hockey, uh, and I had I had worked in it previously for three years in Indianapa. It was part of starting a franchise there in the IHL, But came to Columbus for this and spent eighteen years in it in Columbus and then and then won a different route and intercollegiate athletics for a while, and then most recently came back in the last oh gosh, almost two years now to run a the Columbus theory of the pro Volleyball Federation's Women's Professional League, just in its second year.
Speaker 2: Well that's quite a And at the same time you said that you you were involved in academics.
Speaker 4: Yeah, well I did. I taught for a couple of years and I kind of set myself up for that that that was the primary reason for doctorate. But I also was aspiring a d which I was able to do on the Division two school in northern Michigan, OPA Lake Superior State.
Speaker 2: So a couple of collegiate experiences period. You said, Lake Superior State. Yeah, that's played Locker school. They won, They won the NCAA, They won the Frozen four and.
Speaker 4: Block nineteen ninety nineteen ninety four national champions I was I was a part of any of those.
Speaker 2: Well, I know, but Locker was there the first year, and he came with the Bruins and he and he was a pretty good goaltender here for a little while, and then all of a sudden, the bottom the bottom fell out. As has happened with a bunch of goaltenders, uh, you know around the league. I'm sure that you remember Steve Penny with the Canadians, who was who looked like the second coming of Jacques plant and didn't quite didn't quite work out, and Locker was kind of the same way here here in Boston. Well, that's an interesting experience. So when does the book come out? It's the book out already.
Speaker 4: Well, it's it's out, it's out, it's been out for a bit, but it's uh, you know, uh, he'd find it be a Skyhorse Publishing, Amazon, Okay, on all that, it's readily available out there. Yeah, but we have the story of I'm sorry, go ahead.
Speaker 2: No, it was saying Boston's a hockey as I'm sure you know think of ourselves as a baseball town and and a hockey town. A basket Well, got a great basketball team, and the Patriots of course are extraordinary. Uh, but they're in Foxborough and so they're they're Boston, close to Boston. But it's still hockey in baseball in Boston. And hopefully some of our listeners will be interested because I think these are the great stories. Chill Factor, how a minor League hockey team changed the city forever. That is so so true. Congratulations on the book, and congratulations on a career. You're still working in any way, shape or form in relation to the game at.
Speaker 4: All or or yeah, not not in hockey, although I'm really proud of what we did here in Columbus. We also built the ice rinks that were in the city called the Chillers, and they, you know, it's just become a fabric in the community. Hockey is huge in Columbus, and you know, when we came to town all those years ago with the minor league, you know, we were just hoping not to fall on our face. And so the book itself tells a little bit of that story of you know, trying to get something underway and then how one domino after another starts to fall where it just leads to this interest in securing uh an NHL team for Columbus, and that there's a lot to the store. I can't possibly get into the detail, but.
Speaker 2: I want people, I want people to buy the book. Just remember this. Uh, the Blue Jackets are part of the original thirty two.
Speaker 4: Hey, I was you know, when I was growing up, I did I was a brewing stand just so you know, I Bobby or Era. So it was a little while back for me. I was I was a small kid, but I was a I was a fan.
Speaker 2: Well, you know, Bobby were is one of the great guys if you ever had a chance to meet him. But he's one of the class acts and in professional sports. I've known Bobby a little question. Dave Patson, Thank you so much for your time, doctor David Patson. And the book is Chill Factor How a minor league hockey team changed city forever again. Great Father's Day gifts, folks, for your dad if he happens to be or your granddad if they happen to be a hockey fan. And very few people aren't hockey fans here in the New England area. Thanks. Thanks, King, appreciate it very Thank.
Speaker 4: You so much. All right, talk to you here.
Speaker 2: Thanks again. I love interviews like that. I hope you can. Let me just remind you're listening to WBZ. This is Boston. We're not a Columbus station, although we're hurt in Columbus, Ohio, and I hope some of you are listening in Columbus right now. We are at Boston station. This is WBZ. It's ten thirty and your AM dial. My name is Dan Ray. We're an iHeart radio station. You can pull down our iHeart app Noon Improved, put it on your phone, on your tablet, wherever you can. Make WBZ your first preset, and that way will always be just a finger tip away from you anywhere in the world. Three hundred and sixty five days a year, three sixty six during a leap year, and twenty four to seven. We're gonna come back and we're going to talk about something which is not a as much fun as hockey or great athletes in Boston. We're going to talk about the spring allergy season, which unfortunately is upon us. Back on Nightside right after this.
Speaker 1: You're on night Side with Dan Ray on WBZ, Boston's news radio.
Speaker 2: Okay, spring is right around the corner. I'm not sure how long that corner is because it's been kind of chilly here in New England, but it's coming and I'm going to talk with Ashley McPhillips. She's a CDs pharmacist and district leader about the spring allergy season. Well, we love spring, we love the Red Sox, and we love baseball. Not so keen about allergy season. But I'll bet you have some ways that we can make the allergy season a little less severe than it normally is here in New England. Welcome Ashley McPhillips. How are you tonight?
Speaker 7: Good?
Speaker 5: How are you?
Speaker 7: Thank you so much for having me tonight. I am very excited to talk about tips and you know, medications and solutions to help our patients and people in the community deal with their seasonal allergies.
Speaker 2: So what's what's what's the best because I always get confused. Is it id propin, is it tylenol? Is it regular or whatever? Sprays? What? What? What? What is the best? What? What? What can? What? What's the best thing you suggest other than staying indoors, And even indoors allergies can get you.
Speaker 7: So what I usually suggest is obviously consulting with your healthcare provider, your local pharmacists. There's three categories for seasonal allergies, including anti hystamines. Those are your you know, CBS loraratodine or clareny, your fecsopenidine which is allegra, or your zertec which is satirizine. We also have nasal decongestions for those that are suffering from nasal congestion. And then we also have a bunch of different nasal corticosteroids that really help with the inflammation for those also struggling with the congestion as well. So sometimes you really need to try a couple of different types of medication until you really learn what works best for you. What works well for you might not work well for me. It is important, though, with these types of medications to always run it by a healthcare provider, especially or pharmacists, because there are certain health conditions where, for instance, you wouldn't be allowed to take a decongestent. This could be high blood pressure or hypertension, cardiovascular disease, or even hyperthyroidism. So it's always good to have that one on one discussion to really know where to start your doctors.
Speaker 2: Your doctor obviously is going to be the best advice on that. There's some other things that that are important here. Look, when when stuff's floating around in the air, I guess one thing is to keep the windows in your house closed. You know, if and and and spend and don't hesitate to go out on rainy days because that's when when the pollen is getting knocked down.
Speaker 7: Right, So so precipitation can actually cause the pond to go higher. For instance, this Saturday, we're going to be at a high level of pollen. That's because rain can actually cause pollen clumps to get smaller in particles, which can increase the levels. But they do recommend keeping your windows closed. Also not to use window fans. These are some things that can really increase bringing the pollen allergens into your house. Also recommended when you go outside to where sun bosses to avoid them getting into your eyes as well.
Speaker 2: Yeah, to say you it's it's it's a tough time of year for people who are impacted. What percentage of people actually are impacted during the spring allergy season? I realized that at different times during the year there are different allergens. But what percentage of the public is going to have some days of discomfort during the spring? Do you have any numbers on that.
Speaker 7: Yeah, so it's actually more than a quarter. So more than twenty five percent of adults experience seasonal allergies and about twenty percent of children. So it is pretty significant.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's significant, and it's and it can really it can impact you. It's not serious in the sense that it's going to put you in the hospital. I guess there could be some that could, but the fact of the matter is if you stay ahead of it. One of the things that people need to do is maybe take showers a little bit more frequently and wash your clothes a little bit more frequently so you're not bringing that pollen.
Speaker 3: Into the house exactly.
Speaker 7: So they actually recommend that not only your clothing, but you're betting it's super important to wash it in hot water to remove those allergens, something that you know you definitely want to do regularly. You never want to wear, you know, the same clothes twice in a row without washing them, because those will stay on there and continue to you.
Speaker 2: Yeah, no, that's I tend to probably fit and they get into that category where you know, something is nice and clean, where I'm not doing a lot of yard work, so I figure, I don't even think about allergies. And you pull on the same pyropeans for a couple of days in a row with a maybe in the same sweatshirt, and that that's a good little tip. There any other quick and easy tips that you think you can give us in the last thirty or so seconds that we have.
Speaker 7: Yeah, So Also, we are also discussed making sure you know other allergens can be like coming into a house, so you want to vacuum often. That's something that will help minimize the irritants. Make sure to keep your humidity levels below fifty percent as well, and minimize the number of markets in your home, because if you do have days that you have the windows open, those allergies are going to come in and they're going to want to stick on your carpet and then be circulating in the.
Speaker 4: Air for you.
Speaker 2: Yeah, not too much you can do about that, though, if you have wall to wall carpeting, you're not going to take it out in April.
Speaker 7: Just vacuuming regularly. And it is important to note you did say that not you know, no one's going to get hospitalized from this, but there are people who have severe seasonal allergies. They're just moderate that it can irritate their asthma and cause a flare or attack. So patients that have underlying health conditions we have to really be careful with.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and I think those people probably have experienced those situations before and they're probably more aware of it than any one of us. Ashley, thank you very much for your time. Always nice to talk with you, and thanks for the tips on the spring allergy season. Whatever aggravation. It's better than winter as far as I'm concerned, though.
Speaker 7: Thanks Ashley, thank you so much for your pharmacists today for advice.
Speaker 2: Thank you. Okay, you're very welcome. Uh. When we uh, when we get back, we're going to talk about the big story of the day, and that is what President Trump is calling it, Liberdation Liberal liberation Day. Uh. And with us we'll be Boston Globe Business and Finance columnist Larry Edelman, and uh, we're going to open this up. And I mean, the stock market is going to take a huge hit tomorrow if the futures are at all any indication of it. I know a lot of you are going to want to talk about smooth Heartley from about one hundred years ago. Uh, but look, this is what he promised, and this is what he's going to do, and what he did this afternoon at four o'clock in the Rose Garden. We're coming back on night's side right after the nine o'clock news