Speaker 1: Here we go, fred Rogan, Rodney Peat on Sports Today, Dodgers in Arizona. So we're only on for two hours. Boy, it's going to be a huge all game series this week, Oh.
Speaker 2: Freddy, I can't remember, and maybe you know because I can't remember in general, but a series this late in the year that means this much as this one does for the Dodgers going to Arizona, for both teams, I mean, I get it, you know. Sometimes it means a lot for one team going into it, but for both teams that are right in the thicket things at this late juncture in the season, you know, especially for the Dodgers who were so used and accustomed to running away with the division and being up by twelve to fifteen games at this point. But now it's a it's a dogfighting. We've talked all summer about is this going to be a good thing for the Dodgers that they are not running away with it and that they do have to treat every game as it's almost like a playoff game. And this is the start of it here in Arizona. So this is gonna be interesting.
Speaker 1: You know. Jonas was on the last couple of days he made a very good point. However, the rest of the season plays out, it's really gonna be determined by how will they play against Arizona in San Diego. I mean, this is the chance this weekend to give themselves a little distance and a little space. Last night they made it three out of four or two out of three, I should say, against the Orioles. And one thing I want to say for all of you people that thought Chris Taylor should have been deported after his ninth inning at bat against the Orioles. And I sat here and said, he's going to play. Yeah, he has to play. That's the only way they're going to figure out if he can play. No, you're wrong. He shouldn't be in there. He should have been pinch hit for he's got to play. Well. He played last night, didn't he? You're mad at him? Now? Set? Now? Should we trade him right now? Dfam, send him to the miners right now. He played last night? He looked okay there, didn't he? And that's why you cannot react that way. You can't. Yeah, fire Dave Roberts. Why would he let him hit? Because they have to see if he can Because he has to see if he can Rodney last night he hit I guess everything is okay.
Speaker 2: Now, all right, Well listen, Yes, it was a great night for Chris Taylor and for Dodgers to get him back. And in a lot of times, Fred, you know this, we talk about it all the time. You never know, you never know what somebody is going through, and you never know how bad an injury or the the effect and injury is going to have on your performance. But when he came back, yes, on the heels of Jason Hayward being DFAD and him just hitting a walk off or not even a walker but a home run. But the Dodgers ahead the day before sent a lot of bad taste in a lot of people's mouths, including mine, Fred. And you know, Chris Taylor is a you know, a family friend, and I love Chris Taylor and I've gotten to know him over the years and we all do you know, he's just a great guy. But what Jason Hayward did the night before and then to see the next day him being released just didn't sit right. And but unfortunately, that's baseball and that's business. So I don't know about you, but I was sitting there just man, holding my breath, and just rooting for Chris Taylor to come through and just come on, man, I wasn't even necessarily rooting from the I was rooting from just don't make it ugly, don't strike out bad, or don't make you know, just come on, just just make it somewhat palatable that we can watch, you know. And and he came true. So I was very very happy. And again, he's a guy that's had playoff experience.
Speaker 1: He's been there, he's done that.
Speaker 2: He's come up with big moments for the Dodgers over the years, and you're right, you gotta see what you got. You gotta see if he's back, because we've got a month and the playoffs start, and you got to know, are we going to get the Chris Taylor of old? Are we gonna get the Chris Taylor that we've seen the last year and a half.
Speaker 1: And if we have the Chris Taylor we've seen the last year and a half, then we have to make a decision. Ye, But we can't make any decision until we know, all right, so cross that one off the list at least for last night. The night before Walker Buehler pitched, Oh God, why would you send him out there struggling. I mean, we can't count on that guy, can we? All Right, you know what? He was okay last night? Here comes Bobby Miller. Oh god, what are we told?
Speaker 3: Now?
Speaker 1: What are we gonna do? He couldn't find us. He couldn't hit water if he fell out of a boat. Talk to him, Tommy, couldn't. He couldn't hit the strike zone. He's all over the place. Uh, we don't know what we're gonna get with him. You better not let him pitch what he looked okay last night he did okay last night, Yes he did.
Speaker 2: Yeah, made one mistake that was pretty much it. But for the most part, Fred, he was sharp, he was good. He was hitting his spots like That's one of the things that we talked about and reiterated with you know a lot of guys that are analyzing this game, Oral Herscheizer and and others talked about you can have velocity, you can get the velocity back. You can throw a hundred, but if you're throwing a hundred right down the middle, that's not gonna be effective. And and Kenny get command of his pitches, and he had that for the most part last night. With the exception of the of the the mistake, mistake that gave up a three run Homer.
Speaker 1: But man, he looked good. Fred, I was. I was very encouraged by Bobby Miller last night. So as concerned as everybody is, as concerned as they are. You're aware of the fact that the Dodgers went seven and two on the homestand are they are people aware of that? No? I don't think they are. I don't either. I don't either.
Speaker 4: Fred's got a serious victory lap two are going on right now or being right multiple times this week, And I don't blame them. Trendy, pull those receeats out. Let the people know their chest out, ye, your hair whatever.
Speaker 1: I know theys are over.
Speaker 2: You're right, though, Adam, You're right because uh you know, you know, we and Fred got beat up by by saying this is what we got, this is what we got to go to and beat up?
Speaker 1: Beat up? Aren't you being a little kind? Yeah, you're and beat up? I would say, nare like you were you were viscerated, would be you were pummeled under the ground, fred Man. No, I mean, look, we have not vacillated. We haven't vacillated all year. Long, and I think it's pretty exciting. Becaus a matter of fact, let's turn this now to the Spotlight twenty nine focus. All right, so we've talked about what was. Now let's get into what is These four games against Arizona. They mean a lot to both teams. I have to tell you, in my mind, going in, Arizona knows they desperately need these, desperately need these because if they lose these four games, they're basically they're shot. If they even have one at winning the division is done. If the Dodgers go three and one, I would suggest Arizona shot at winning the division is done. If they split the series, I would say Arizona shot at winning the division has decreased dramatically. So, Rodney, I think for Arizona this is a playoff series. Yeah.
Speaker 2: So you're saying that this is bigger for clearly bigger for Arizona than it is for the Dodgers.
Speaker 1: Yeah, honest out even without question. Yeah yeah, because the Dodgers are the hunted, Arizona is the hunters. Arizona. This will determine Arizona shot at winning the West right here, this is it. I don't care how it plays out, the rest of the way because actually in the division, these games kind of count to right you when they lose?
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, it's double effect on it. But here's the thing. Do you think, given the fact of how they made it to the World Series last year, do you think that it matters to Arizona whether they win the division or not?
Speaker 1: Or is it just a matter of.
Speaker 2: Of we got to keep steady, We got to keep pace of where we are. If we win the division, great, if we don't, the only thing that matters is getting in, because we know if we get in we can make it all the way, which they did last year. So do you think that they even care about winning the division? I would say no.
Speaker 1: But but I think these four games, given how tight it is, remember what happened last year. The Dodgers just ran away with it again and then they were flat in the playoffs. Right all right, yep? I think this year is a different story because it is so close, and I think this go round, this might psychologically give one or the other teams at advantage. I mean, the Diamondbacks came out of nowhere last year. Nobody expects you to do anything and boom there you are. Okay, great, but now people have placed expectations on them because they're playing so well, and that being the case, I think these games matter and I think they are so vital to the Diamondbacks. If the Dodgers beat them, with as close as the race is right now for the Dodgers, that is an enormous mental boost. You know, we these games are playoff games, So if the Dodgers beat them, I think it knocks Arizona back a step and I think it puts the Dodgers two steps ahead. So yeah, I really think these are critical games.
Speaker 2: And do you think that they have those conversations You think Dave Roberts has that those conversations with the players that these are these are meaningful, serious games. Right now, we're gonna make the playoffs, but we want to go into the playoffs with momentum, not only momentum, but knocking you know, knocking our division rival kind of on their heels and we may see him again, but the fact that we can beat up on him before the playoffs starts. Do you think that that Dave has that conversation with the team saying, yeah, this will do a mental damage on the Diamondbacks if we go in there and take three out of four.
Speaker 1: All right, I am going to answer that question, but before I do, I'm going to ask you a question, because you actually know Dave Roberts pretty well, I have my answer no matter what you say. Mm hmmm.
Speaker 2: Do you think he has that conversation. I think yes, I do. I think he does. I think he's very candid about and and and you know him too, Fritt, but I think he's very candid about where the team is right now and what the stakes are. I don't think he's a guy that sugarcoats things. I think he tells it how it is, even with you know, just quickly going going back to UH Jason Hayward situation, I don't think that caught anyone inside the immediate folks by surprise. I think that was talked about. I think Dave had a straight up one on one with UH with Jay hay and I think they they had a conversation that if this goes down this way, then this is what we're gonna do it. Just he's been that way in the past, So yes, I believe he has that conversation with the guys as they travel to Arizona, going, guys, we got a chance to knock them out the box.
Speaker 1: And we don't know.
Speaker 2: What this is gonna do to them psychologically, but man, if we go and crush them and and really take three out of four from these guys or sweep them, that will do big damage for them going into the playoffs. So yes, I do believe absolutely he has that conversation.
Speaker 1: After hearing that, I want to change my answer, but I won't, And I said I wouldn't. Wait, did I say I'm not gonna change my answer.
Speaker 4: You said, no, matter what Rodney said, You're not changing your answer.
Speaker 1: So I'm gonna go with my initial answer. No, I don't think he does. I think you might say, all right, let's get him, let's go get him, let's go get him. Game.
Speaker 2: Hey, we got a shot here, let's go get him. This is like April, so it's no big deal. April May game, no big deal. You think that's the conversation he has with the team.
Speaker 1: I think the conversation is we're here, Uh, we don what we have to do, Let's go get him. I do now Again, I told you I wouldn't change my answer. So that is my initial answer, and I'm going to stick with it. But He's alternative answer right after hearing what you had to say. I wish I could change, but I won't.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I just think, yeah, no, I just I just think it's different times, right. It's a long season, And Adam you can chime in too. I think it's a long season and situations change over a course of the season, and where you are now is different than where you were in May. And yes, you can look at it and Mango, this is another series against our arrival, our division opponent, and yes, we'd like to take three out of four. But at the end of the day, you know, we're going to see them again. We're going to see them again. We're going to see them again. But at this point, going there and they're building to create any kind of extra doubt in their mind that if we see you again, this is exactly what we're gonna do to you. I think you have that conversation, and I don't think and I'm not saying that that he has to have the conversation to to really remind guys of the gravitude of this gravity, you know, gravity of this situation. But I think it needs to be reiterated because I think every every player knows how big this series is. But sometimes coming from the manager going hey, fellas, come on now, this is this is this is where the rubber Messa road. Let's go knock these guys out of the box. And when they see us, and then if they happen to see us again in October, they know what they're in for. Well if you allow them, if you allow them to beat up on you. Right now, it's so recent in their minds, going we just beat them three out of four, we can do it again.
Speaker 4: And they've already won two of the three series they have played so far this season, Arizona, so they probably feel like we still have their number. We have the mental edge to me. If you go in trying to downplay the importance of this series, Fred, it.
Speaker 5: Almost looks a little weak, Yeah, a little soft.
Speaker 4: It looks like you're trying to guard yourself or set yourself up for disappointment, or at least ways to play it off like, ah, we didn't care. It wasn't the playoffs. If we don't win it, no no, no, no no. This is your chance to put them in the rear view. The Dodgers are four games up on them. You win three or four, it's over. The Dodgers have the division, and we don't know what San Diego's gonna do this weekend, but they need to get a little bit more of a cushion if they want to have at least an opportunity to rest some of these guys that have been beat up, or give guys.
Speaker 5: A little bit more time to return from injury.
Speaker 4: As much as we like them being battle tested right now and having to go through the gauntlet and go through the fire before the playoffs.
Speaker 5: Come, at some point you would like this to be decided.
Speaker 4: Maybe with two weeks left in the season, right, that would still be ideal, so you can line up guys and have them set rotation wise.
Speaker 1: Yeah, no, one hundred percent.
Speaker 2: I mean, look, we're not talking about eight ten year old kids that you got a sugarcoat or you try to hide something from everybody knows, So why not why not be up front and go, no, we got to knock these guys out of a box.
Speaker 1: Let's go this is the crime.
Speaker 4: Yes, back in Arizona where Lance Lamb got up.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but you knew about law, you know about long ball lands. You know that was just as amo.
Speaker 5: So you said the Dodgers didn't know. We knew, but Dave Robertson everybody knew.
Speaker 1: But you know last year they were handcuffed.
Speaker 2: But still you had we had to witness it, right, So it's still fresh in people's minds. Oh, we lit up. We lit the Dodgers up. They don't look at it, and that's that we lit up, lance Lynn. We lit the Dodgers up, right, So yes, it has to be reiterated that this is a new season, new year. We are the big bad Dodgers coming to town. So get ready, and this is what you're going to see in October again too, Well.
Speaker 1: We'll find out if they're gonna see Clayton Kershaw on October because he goes tonight. And uh, you know, I think there's been more up than down with Clayton, but in a very small way, it's been a mixed bag, more up than down, but a mixed bag. I think tonight can be a statement game for him, Rodney.
Speaker 2: It it can, it can, Fred. But but again we're talking Clayton Kershaw's got such a big, vast body of work that if he does go out and happens to struggle a little bit, I don't think it has the impact of say, you know, Gavin Stone going out and struggling. Right, I don't think it has that kind of impact if if that happens, because he's a young kid and we're again on the verge of going into the playoffs, this could be his first you know, foray into the playoffs as a starter. It doesn't have the impact, and so it's it's Clayton who can come back and bounce back after a bad performance. But it may put some questions, maybe if I'm answering your question, may put some questions in your mind about how how we approach Clayton going into the playoffs.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think I think that's true. I think they I think they desperately need him to have a really good outing tonight. I think it's critical they desperately need him to have a good outing they form for him.
Speaker 2: Because they need him to be an impactful picture in the playoffs or for the psyche of him and the team, which you know kind of where are you leaning that?
Speaker 1: Why it's so important? Okay in this case, can I answer both? Yeah? Okay, I'm gonna answer both. I think, look, he's been there, he knows he has more experience than anybody there. But I think it's a boost for him, his psyche. I think it's good for him for the team, I think they will feel more comfortable and confident. I'm not saying he has to go strike every single picture out, every player he faces out, But what I am saying is that for him to get you the length you need and to keep you in the game, I think it's critical. I think it's critical for the thinking of the team. I think it's critical if other pictures aren't ready to go and he is forced to pitch in the playoffs. I think it's critical when you are deciding if you can go with Gavin Stone or Clayton, who will you go with in the playoffs. I think that's why it's so critical tonight. Yeah, no, I can I see that. I see that.
Speaker 2: I see that because you know, guys won't say it, players won't say it, but they want to see too. They want to see if if Clayton's got it back, or how effective he can be because they all believe in him, right, it's just a matter of does he still have enough to get us through a particular game or in a big time situation, And they want to see it. They got to see it with their eyeballs. So I get that from from the other standpoint of the of the team wanting to see that and needing to see that.
Speaker 1: There's some importance there. All right, that's the spotlight on blue U hahuh. You know it, dude, It doesn't change.
Speaker 2: August thirtieth, February twenty eighth, April thirtieth.
Speaker 1: It don't matter, fred Friday, we don't care. We don't care.
Speaker 5: Fred bred definitely doesn't dunking on everyone.
Speaker 1: Now, tell me about it.
Speaker 5: Letting him know.
Speaker 1: Ye, let him on, Adam, ain't nobody got to see him for that.
Speaker 5: You deserve this. You deserve this.
Speaker 4: I think a weekend, let's say Chris Taylor comes up with another big hit in the playoffs.
Speaker 5: Let's say he makes the playoff roster.
Speaker 4: I say you do an apology tour where you just have fans call in that we're giving you so much grief about Chris Taylor and just get in line and apologize to you.
Speaker 6: Fred Ooh, you know, Freddy, he's being genuine because during the Clippers season, anytime people come after him and then he's proven right, Adam.
Speaker 3: It's just it's the whole show.
Speaker 4: You're saying I brought my arm pat myself on the back too much, both arms.
Speaker 1: Look at Katie, Look Katie coming out of.
Speaker 7: The wo's gonna call him out for this. I'm gonna call Adam Di Lodgery my clippers on here.
Speaker 1: Okay, all right, Well, look, I'm glad I was right. But I think what we all are happy about is that Chris Taylor played well. At the end of the day, that's all Dodger fan wants. Who's ever on the field performs he did, So give it a little time. I've got a feeling I can be wrong. You'll probably see him at a game against Arizona. I've got a feeling that's gonna happen. You got a feeling, don't you think, Rodney?
Speaker 2: Of course, come on, yes, absolutely absolutely, he's got to play.
Speaker 1: We've got what.
Speaker 2: Thirty twenty eight more days, I don't know how many games in that span, but he's got to get in as much playing time as possible.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they've got to see what they have. All right, Uh, let's play a little know your squad. Craig and Arcadia, are you there?
Speaker 5: Yes, I am.
Speaker 1: How you doing today?
Speaker 3: Pretty good?
Speaker 8: Pretty good?
Speaker 1: All right? This is a great day for you because we're gonna play Know your Clippers. How about that includes the Buffalo braves.
Speaker 5: Oh, I don't know about that, but I'll baby.
Speaker 2: Come on, everybody's in the same boat on Nybody knows about them buffalo braids.
Speaker 1: Katie knows, don't you, Katie.
Speaker 7: Yeah, they moved to San Diego, became the Clippers, and then we're stolen by La like every other San Diego team except Wow.
Speaker 1: Okay, wow, Katie got the first answer. Good job, kat I'm not wrong. No, you're right, You're right. Hey, you know your squad? Do you give you a question five charity? You have one answer before you give you all five choices. You're locked up. You have a challenge. Use your challenge. It's upheld. You retain your challenge. Use your challenge. It's denied. You're locked out of the next question. Craig, you got that.
Speaker 2: I got it.
Speaker 1: Good luck. Here we go. Doc Rivers holds the franchise record for most wins by a head coach of three fifty six, who is second career wins with two hundred and fifteen. Mike Dunleavy, Bill Fitch, Finny del Negro, Jack Ramsey or Jalen Ramsey, Nope, Fitch, Nope, Brady Levy, Mike Dunlevy or Rodney's correct. Wow, I had to go to the well for that one. See, Craig, I thought you were going to get that one when everybody initially missed. I thought you'd say Dunlevy.
Speaker 3: It's hard to remember sometimes.
Speaker 2: He said, next one, let's go, friend, stop talking with the commentary of Gee.
Speaker 1: He said, Wow, I'm trying to give him a break. Here, here's the next one. Cluppers won their first playoff series in two thousand and six when they beat the Nugets in five games in the first round. Who is their leading scorer in that series at seventeen point eight points per game? Corey mcgetty, Sam Cassell, Katino Mobley, Elton Brand or Elton Johns Elan Elton Brand is correct? Rodney? Wow, Rodney all over that one.
Speaker 2: I know my Boston braids, I mean my Buffalo braids.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but that a Clipper thing. Yeah, but Elton Brand played for the Clippers. Oh oh okay, yeah about that. Oh, by the way, this is honestly I just want to say, Adam, I want to acknowledge you here and today's know your squad. Why is that Because it's the first day that I've gotten all six questions sent to me.
Speaker 4: So you should acknowledge yourself. But it's the first day you figured out how to print all six.
Speaker 1: Wow. Is that a praise of Adam or is that a shot at Adam? Well, I thought it was. I thought it was high praise. To be quite honest, I think it was a shot.
Speaker 4: Just tried to backhand compliment.
Speaker 5: The hell did Brad?
Speaker 4: You know those emails contained all six don't do this now.
Speaker 1: Listen, I listen what they contained, Adam? What ended up in my hand or two different things?
Speaker 4: Yeah, well you got somebody the copy burglar or something. Somebody's been stealing them off the cove the fax machine from me.
Speaker 2: A little strange that you would bring that back up, Fred, knowing that.
Speaker 4: This is how good Fred's feeling today, This is how confident Fred is. Yeah, he's talking jump to everybody.
Speaker 5: This guy.
Speaker 2: Interesting, Fred, if you would bring that back up when Adam the man we know Adam, it was very thorough as receipts and could could uh could really do some damage to you, Fred.
Speaker 1: But yeah, you still wanted to throw it out there.
Speaker 4: I know where the bodies are buried, all of them.
Speaker 1: Listen, I'm just saying, good job. That's all I said. That Is that really all you're saying.
Speaker 4: I'm just saying, f off, that's my boy.
Speaker 1: My boy, that's my boy. Double a. Here's a note. But you don't give a damn who you are, Fred, I understand that Clippers want a franchise worst nine games in the ninety eight ninety nine season. Who is their leading scorer that season with an average of sixteen point eight points per game? Maurice Taylor, Leman, Murray, Michael Ollowa, Candy, Rodney Rogers or Roy Rogers Taylor. Yes, Katie, Katie.
Speaker 3: That was the only name I recognize.
Speaker 1: It's Katie, Katy.
Speaker 3: I want to pat my own.
Speaker 1: Yay, do you even know who that is? Katie? No?
Speaker 3: But I know that I recognize the name.
Speaker 1: You do.
Speaker 3: That was the only name.
Speaker 2: I risk you recognize the name Taylor or you didn't recognize a full name, the full.
Speaker 3: Name one of my good friends.
Speaker 7: She has been a Clippers fan since day one, so you know.
Speaker 1: Okay, more than some day one. How old is she.
Speaker 7: She's well, I mean since she was day one. You know her parents are Clippers fans, the whole family of yet.
Speaker 1: Okay, all right, which of these players is the career leader in scoring average while wearing a Clippers Slash Braves uniform? McAdoo, World be free, Dominique Wilkins, Blake Griffin or Blake Shelton. I'm McAdoo. No, we'll be free. World be free, Rodney, That's right, Craig. Did you say that too? No?
Speaker 4: I said Wilkins?
Speaker 1: All right, all right, Craig, I want you to guy. Freddy tried to give it to you quick. I tried. You know what I know, and that would really piss you off. I know, Rodney. Yeah, yeah, yeah, I know.
Speaker 2: How you get you want you don't want charity, Yeah, Craig don't want no charity. Fred he doesn't want charity. He just wants to win it. Well, let's see if he wins this one. Which of these Clippers Slash Braves players holds the franchise record for most total rebounds in a single season with twelve hundred and twenty six schwet Nader, Elmore Smith, DeAndre Jordan, Bob McAdoo or Bob Schmidt Jordan.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, Katie.
Speaker 7: That was another one where I'm like, I think that name sounds familiar, he says.
Speaker 1: He said, do it with confidence. Oh my god, I.
Speaker 3: Mean if you say it with confidence at least even.
Speaker 1: If you're wrong. Katie absolute, absolutely.
Speaker 5: And what's the score here, Fred?
Speaker 1: It's Rodney three Katie two.
Speaker 7: The most points I think I've ever gotten. No, I won this one when I was charging.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so this is the final question. Katie can actually tie coming This would be one of the most shocking developments in the history of the show. If and know your clippers Katie finishes tied. Here we go. Which of these players holds the franchise record for tuneovers committed with twelve hundred and fifty eight Chris Paul? Like Griffin or Nixon, Ron Harper or Ron Swanson? No, No, Nixon, No, the other one that doesn't countin.
Speaker 3: Oh wow, we've all forgotten the list we have.
Speaker 1: What is the question? Which of these players holds the franchise record for turnovers committed with twelve hundred and fifty Chris Paul? No, Oh, yes, there it is.
Speaker 3: I said that earlier.
Speaker 1: Who said that? Greig said it? Creig?
Speaker 2: Well, Craig got it? What ago, Craig, You're on the board. Craig is on the board. There is no shutout, and Daddy was sorry, Katie, I wanted I wanted Katy to tie.
Speaker 3: That's right.
Speaker 5: Sorry?
Speaker 1: Who what? What? What? What what did you.
Speaker 2: Say, Craig, Oh, I wanted I wanted Katy to tie.
Speaker 1: You want someone?
Speaker 3: They just wanted you to be knocked off your pedestal a little bit. You know, you always win, never lose.
Speaker 1: Damn, Daddy, you don't like that. I don't like it at all. I don't know if calling him daddy, I don't daddy. Don't like that.
Speaker 3: You don't like that. I don't know the way you're saying said that very comfortably.
Speaker 2: Trained him, well trained him. Well, Katie, good call on that.
Speaker 1: I don't know. I like call him dad. Oh, Katie, Katie, you're the best. All right? I want it all right.
Speaker 3: I thought that was your hand signal.
Speaker 1: That's fine, Greig, thanks for listening, man, have a great labor day weekend. All right, one o'clock, All right, one o'clock. Write it down, Write it down in ink. Tommy Edmund of the Dodgers will join the show.
Speaker 8: No Another Broken then Rodney after Noon to light.
Speaker 1: Yeah, come up with a floaty Friday, we don't come, that's right. Today Afternoon Delight.
Speaker 2: Is a collaboration between Swedish House Mafia and Alicia Keys on a track called Finally. The name is appropriate because fans have been waiting for this collab that was teased back in twenty twenty two, but Sweetish House Mafia continued to put in work on the mix and finally release the official single of it just the other day. Again, Today's Afternoon Delight is Finally by Swedish House Mafia and Alicia Keys.
Speaker 1: Yes, sir, all right, Rodney, I want to talk about something now. I think you've heard about it, and it really upsets me and I cannot be any more honest about this. And there are a number of reasons why this is just such a tragedy, and perhaps you listening have experienced something like this in your life so you can appreciate it. So. Johnny Goodeau is known as Johnny Hockey's thirty one years old. He was playing for the Columbus Blue Jackets, and if you follow hockey, you remember that he made his name with the Calgary Flames. His brother, Matthew, is twenty nine years old, married and expecting a child. Johnny's married as well. Matthew plays in the minors, so they both play hockey. They're a hockey family and Johnny good Gudroau signed a huge deal and you know the name if you follow hockey, all right. Their sister, their sister was supposed to be married today. They were groomsmen in the wedding. So they had flown back to the East Coast a couple of days before. Well, they're both athletes, both in great shape, both take care of themselves, and last night they went out on a bike ride, great exercise. They know the area, they're there for their sister's wedding, and it's during this bike ride. So they're on the right side of the road, the right lane, where they're supposed to be. Apparently someone decides, I'm going to pass on the right. Now, we know that you're I supposed to do that. Right, You don't pass on the right, you pass on the left. No, this person decided they were going to pass on the right. Oh, by the way, this person told police he had five or six peers, five or six peers, He's going to pass on the right, and he did. Oh, he passed on the right. He passed on the right, ran them both over and killed him. Johnny Gudreau his brother thirty one twenty nine, both hockey players. Therefore his sister's wedding got passed on the right ran them over and killed him. And I can't tell you, and I don't mean to preach. I can't tell you how much that upsets me. It would upset me if it happened to anybody. But obviously these two people are pretty well known. Imagine the devastation that family feels. They are there for their sister's wedding, They are both finally tuned, professional athletes, all of them have everything in the world to look forward to. And somebody decides that somebody is forty three years old, who'd had five or six peers that they were going to pass on the right because they believed the truck in front of them or the vehicle in front of them was trying to block them, hit them both and killed them drunk driving. And you probably know somebody in your life that has gone through something like this. What an incredible tragedy. You shouldn't be driving, Higgins, after five or six beers. You shouldn't be driving. If you choose to drive, you shouldn't be passing on the right side of the road. An entire family devastated because somebody chose to do that. I think it is cruel. I think it is callous. I think it is selfish. I think it is heartless. Oh, obviously he's been charged and he'll obviously be convicted. What does that do to the goodrou family If this guy ends up in prison, Let's say ten years, I don't know, five years, twenty years, Okay, what does that do to the Goodrow family? Wives, lost husbands, kids, lost fathers. What does that do to them? Just a selfish act, so unnecessary, And I'm Rodney, I'm sorry. I didn't even know these two guys, but it just really really upsets me. Yeah, it's uh.
Speaker 2: I read this story as well and this morning, and it was just devastating. To your point. I didn't know these guys, but all accounts that they they loved and lived life, fans loved them. And two brothers. Imagine that two brothers coming back for their sister's wedding, just coming back for a joyous celebration of their sister getting married, and they go for a bike ride at night, and someone who decides that I can make it home, or I can make it somewhere. You're having five six beers and drinking and getting behind the wheel. Ended their life and created tragedy within that family that will never go away, will never ever go away.
Speaker 1: And it is a.
Speaker 2: Heartbreaking, it is absolutely heartbreaking, ego, from being one of the most celebrated and joyous moments of someone's life to being, depending on how you look at it, where you're coming from, one of the worst, if not the worst moments in that family's life, in all of their lives. So, you know, unbelievable, unbelievable for the you know, the Gadrill family and all of them. Obviously, it doesn't do justice just to say hearts and prayers and thoughts and all that kind of stuff, because there's nothing and bringing them back.
Speaker 1: It's just a tragic situation. Fred. And you hate to hear you hate to hear this.
Speaker 2: About some something like this that's a census act that could be avoided if people just did the right thing, if they just did the right thing. And you know, their rules and their laws for reasons, and it's a it's a shame. So it's like you said, I don't know them. You don't know them, but this one hit. It hit hard for me too. It hard.
Speaker 1: No one is trying to be your moral compass. I'm not Rodney's not. You live your life, You make your own choices. You can do whatever you want. And I always like to say, do whatever you want as long as you don't hurt somebody. If you do whatever you want, you don't hurt anybody, that's fantastic. If it seems od or it seems strange, I don't care. If you're not hurting anybody, you live your life. But I think we talk about this today as we approach the Labor Day weekend. It's a long weekend. There will be barbecues, people will be drinking, and you should do that. You should absolutely do that, and you should enjoy it with your friends and your family. But if you do choose to drink, if you do make that decision, then remember the story we just told you right now. Remember that story. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Or if you're also a friend, if you're if you're if you're in that situation and you're the friend, or you're there and and you have a friend that decides, hey, listen, I'm going home or I'm I'm gonna leave or I'm going somewhere, and you're the friend on standby, be that guy, be that person that stands up and stands in and says, listen, give me the keys, I'll drive, or we'll find it. We'll put you in an uber. There's so many ways to avoid this. There's so many ways to get from point A to point B nowadays with a click of an app that you don't have to get buy in the wheel and if it takes sometimes, you know, if you're over here, you're you're just stand up and say no, now, man. You know you had a couple, man, So no big deal. I'll drive you home, or let me let me, let me put you in over and and we'll get you home.
Speaker 1: As simple as that it really is.
Speaker 2: And unfortunately, so many people and too many people don't want to utilize the uh, the opportunities that are right there in front of us.
Speaker 1: Rodney, I have to tell you, I'll just be really honest with you. I go out, and I've been out with my kids. I have a glass of wine. I'm not going to deny that. I'm also pretty sure I'm not drunk. I've had a glass of wine. Okay, you know what Jack, Josh or Haley say to me, I've had one glass of wine. We're driving, Yeah, we're driving. I've had one glass of wine. I'm not drunk. Dad, you had one. We're driving. My own kids, we got it, and I'll tell them sometimes now I'm fine, don't what are you talking about? I'm driving my own kids. Tell me that, and I've had a glass of wine. If my kids can tell me that, and I give them the keys, why can't everybody just be real about what they're going through, where they're at, how they feel. If somebody offers, if you've even had one beer, one glass of wine, whatever, and somebody goes, I'll drive and they haven't had a drink, why don't you let them drive? To me, it's pretty simple, very simple. And the reason this really bothered me is last night Josh parks his car. He was at the house in Tuluca Lake and he parks it on the street. He goes out at about nine point thirty and the back left side of his car is gone. It has been smashed, smashed, taken off. The car was parked. Somebody side swipe from and sideswipe from pretty heavily. He didn't know he didn't know. He came out of the house and a couple of friends were at the house and he came out of the house. He didn't know. He goes, oh my god, he's standing there looking at it, and somebody drives by and says, I know who did it. Oh, I saw it. Wow, I saw it. And you know what. The person who did it lived on the next street, and the guy drove them there. They called the police, by the way. The guy drove them there, and they looked at that car, that car that hit his. It didn't even have a front tire anymore. It was that bad. It was that bad. And they looked at that and they thought to themselves, and I don't know the answer to this, how could that happen? Well, to me, there's one way that happened. Somebody had been drinking, because you wouldn't side swife a car on the side of the road that would then say anything about it, and just part well, it's let's put it like this. It's being resolved. It's being resolved.
Speaker 2: But a note, no note or anything, huh no, nothing, no, no, no note saying hey, listen, I hit your car, outsides wiped. You call me and we'll get it taken care of that which is the natural should be the natural sensitive, simple, you know, simple thing to do. Yet there was no note.
Speaker 1: There was nothing except a picture today of the car being towed off and it could be totalled. And then so I had that last night and woke up this morning to the Goudreau story, and I thought, you know what, everybody needs to just catch take a breath here, just take a second. We all know how to behave we all know how to act. A car that is destroyed with nobody in it is very different than two people who have lost their lives. But the principle remains the same. If you're drinking, don't drive. It's Labor day weekend. Take care of yourself more importantly, take care of everyone around you. If you're going to be selfish, then do something to yourself. Don't do it to anybody else. Because that one, that story there, I think that one's going to stay with us. All right, now, we're all right. I just had to I had to get that podcast. No, no, it hurts, hurts, and one hurts. All right. When we come back, we'll uh, we'll change it up. Timmy Edmund of the Dodgers. Damn. I buried the lead. Oh, I bury the lead. We have Tommy Edmond joining the show at one o'clock. What yeah, Tommy's coming home. I buried the lead. We have to