Speaker 1: This is Gary and Shannon and you're listening to KFI AM six forty, the Gary and Shannon Show on demand on the iHeartRadio app. So Splash is a rescue order that is working in Arizona.
Speaker 2: Seems out of place, but go on.
Speaker 1: Splash is being trained to sniff out evidence and victims in underwater settings. The search and rescue people say, if a body gets into a canal or a river and an alligator gets to them before we do, the gator will take the remains and stuff it somewhere and it makes it very difficult to find. The search dogs can get us into the area, but they can't get us from the boat to the bottom. The otters get us from the boat to the bottom. The otters can smell underwater. They're the only mammals that can smell underwater. Did you know that?
Speaker 2: I love that.
Speaker 3: You know that there's so much crap going on in the world that you look for a good otter story to kind of set the tone, like a good oyster cracker, if you will, to cleanse the palette.
Speaker 1: I am an oyster cracker. Here's the thing I was. I am in Charlotte, came out here with the Chargers, and I'm immersed in the worlds of football, so it was so crushing to me this morning after a great game played by the Chargers here in Carolina. Of course, a lot of that has to do with the Panthers being the worst team in the NFL. However, they played wonderfully. It was so nice to see this performance. And then going back to the hotel, just sitting there having NFL Red Zone on my tablet, the Chiefs game on the TV, and just watching hours and hours of football. And then this morning waking up and looking at Trump assassination attempts and Kamala Harris putting down all of America with her lawn comment, Oh this is this.
Speaker 2: I don't know how to even describe how weird this is. I was yesterday. I could not imagine.
Speaker 3: I thought when the first alerts came out that there was a shooting, you're the president of something like they were.
Speaker 2: They're okay, you're exaggerating.
Speaker 3: It was somewhere in the state of Florida, there was a shooting, and yes, Trump happened to be No, no, this was a legit. It appears a legit attempt at the guy's life again, and it's it's bothersome looks bad for the Secret Service, or it looks good for the Secret Service.
Speaker 2: I haven't figured it out yet, But well, they caught.
Speaker 1: Him before he was able to get in the I mean he was in the vicinity, as they're saying.
Speaker 3: But yeah, and then the question is, how could you still even get into the vicinity. How could you get within a couple hundred yards of a former president with an AK forty seven style rifle.
Speaker 2: I don't think you a scope as well? Yeah, the scope.
Speaker 1: I don't know anything about this, but it sounds like a scope increases your ability to hit a faraway target.
Speaker 3: I don't believe there was a scope on the rifle itself. I think it was a spotting scope that you would hold in your hand to judge a distance. Think of but remember the kid in Butler Pence, Sylvania had a rangefinder similar. I mean just in terms of he if he's going to use it to dial in the rifle, judge the distance, and that sort of thing that's possible possibly what he had. They were able to get this guy because once the Secret Service saw a rifle barrel poking through the shrubs on the sixth hole, I believe it was.
Speaker 1: I love it when they're shrubbery involved in a story because it makes me think of Monty Python shrubbery.
Speaker 3: Right, you're the only you're the only woman I know who thinks of Monty Python. That's a very that's a very male thing to think. Yeah, but a Secret Service agent saw the rifle barrel and apparently peeled off a couple of shots. We don't think that, Ryan Wesley Routh, this fifty eight year old suspect was able to get any shots off, but he left his position. He got up, and he ran jumps into a Nissan pathfinder. I believe somebody sees him do that and thinks that's weird. I don't know why, but they think it's weird. They take a picture of not just the vehicle, but they happened to capture the license plate. License plate gets called into nine one. One gets fed into license plate readers around that area in Palm Beach County and Martin County. They catch him on I ninety five and then in the neighboring county and then Martin County. Sheriff explains they followed him.
Speaker 2: For a while.
Speaker 3: They got all their resources in place so that they could make an effective stop and that he was there a short time after the actual traffic stop, and he said the whole thing was perplexing.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I was there right after the stop, and it was perplexing. You know, somebody who actually, at the time, we were positive that we had the suspect, we had the vehicle, we thought we had him, but his facial affect was so flat, his demeanor was relaxed. I honestly thought it looked like somebody that just left the church picnic and was on his way home. And I mean the Interstate was calling with law enforcement. We had, you know, our team had gotten out their rifles, helicopter five, shut down, a bomb dog, everything was there. He was as calm as as really is if he was going for them.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Just the guy's odd.
Speaker 3: His own son says, oh Dad, you know he's he's adamant about his feelings, but he's not one to do this bat ass crazy stuff.
Speaker 2: I was.
Speaker 1: I didn't know about the rider die Ukraine. People that feel so strongly about Ukraine that in helping Ukraine.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that they've they've picked up taking up arms against Russia.
Speaker 1: I also think that we're wasting our time sometimes when we go on these retrospective Who are these people? What made them the way they are? What do we know about their life? Because they're just crazy people crazy.
Speaker 3: We want to ascribe some sort of logical progression to the guy's you know, downfall, or his his decision making where he's going to pick up a rifle and aim at a former president. It's almost as if, well, I mean, it's not like we're going to find somebody and go, oh my gosh.
Speaker 2: That reminds me my neighbor Dave.
Speaker 3: I wonder if I should call somebody about my neighbor Dave, because he also feels like Russia is impinging upon Ukraine's sovereignty.
Speaker 1: Well, and also if you had a neighbor Dave who was crazy and always ranting about the Ukraine sovereignty, who would you call about that? And what would they do? And is there a mechanism to where you can raise the red flag to the crazy police and say this person seems to be close to losing it and he's got guns.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you can't.
Speaker 3: There's nothing you can do because it potentially would depend on who he was threatening if it even got to that level, you know.
Speaker 2: But there's more on this.
Speaker 3: In fact, We have an interview that he did with Newsweek Romania where he describes why he's in Ukraine, why he's fighting.
Speaker 2: On behalf of the Ukrainians against the Russians.
Speaker 1: Our engineer is here with me in Charlotte, and I was explaining to one of my friends about the show and said, I don't really remember the context, but he said, Gary is a beautiful man, and uh, couples spoken a couple of things. I don't know if I've heard a man referred to as beautiful and not you either, not that you're not beautiful in your own way.
Speaker 4: But.
Speaker 1: God's creatures are all beautiful. But I don't I didn't know that Rich felt that way about you. You know, it was completely unsolicited. It came out of nowhere.
Speaker 3: That's going to make a very odd first interaction when we come back, when I see Rich in the hallway, I know, but there you go. Apparently we've made neighbor Dave mad already.
Speaker 5: Hey, guys, neighbor day from I'm gonna be honest with you, I'm Dave, But I got a neighbor's he's got the Ukraine flag and the ground still and up in arms and probably voting for Kara, So we call it neighbor Steve instead of neighbor Dave.
Speaker 1: Thanks case, sorry, Dave's.
Speaker 3: Yeah, gosh, neighbor Dave's. I didn't realize that that was going to be quite was going to be the issue.
Speaker 1: Did you hear about the media strategy involving Travis Kelcey and Taylor Swift?
Speaker 2: Oh? Yeah, you have heard. Which one? Are you talking about the Laura Lumer version of the media strategy?
Speaker 1: I don't know what that is. I didn't know she was involved with this romance. But the alleged media plan says that they're going to break up on September twenty eighth. Oh, that's the strategy. But now they're threatening legal action against whoever made this up. Now, if somebody came out and said that you and your wife were going to get a divorce on September twenty eighth, you would be like, okay, buddy, okay, Dave, whatever, right.
Speaker 2: I wouldn't threaten the law. You wouldn't.
Speaker 1: You wouldn't call your lawyers because there's nothing there there.
Speaker 2: That is a great point.
Speaker 3: We could we could see some snow this week, still in summer, but they're talking about Yosemite National Park among other places in the Sierra Nevada could see snow this week. This trough of low pressure that's coming through, swinging through southeast and swinging southeast, I should say, through northern and central California. Cold air, snow level down around eight thousand feet, some measurable snow possible before.
Speaker 2: The end of this week at Yosemite.
Speaker 1: So I was thinking about this attempted assassination attempt, if that's what you want to call it, that's how it's being investigated. And I was thinking, Wow, strange times we are in that people feel like they can take shots at a former president who's running again. Strange times. But then you know, you stumble upon the story about Gerald Ford. Oh yeah, I mean that's before my time. I didn't know. I wasn't privy to what happened with Gerald Ford, but he escaped two assassination attempts within like three weeks in California, one in Sacramento, the other in San Francisco. And it was both brought It was both women brought.
Speaker 3: Yeah, brought to you by ladies from the great state of California. And the first one it was September fifth, nineteen seventy five, squeaky from a follower of Charles Manson. She points a gun at Ford, and originally I thought that it misfired. The report I saw today set a Secret Service agent actually grabbed the gun from her before she was able to get a shot off, and then she was taken into custody.
Speaker 1: And she was wearing a bright red dress. Who tries to take a shot at the president wearing a red dress? Usually when you put on a red dress, you feel good, you feel confident, you.
Speaker 2: Want all eyes on you.
Speaker 1: With there we do.
Speaker 3: And then seventeen days later, I think it was September twenty second. In that same year seventy five, Sarah Jane Moore tried to assassinate him. Ford had made an address to the World Affairs Council in San Francisco, and she was just a bad shot. She did fire a couple shots at the president with a thirty eight special.
Speaker 1: Was it taken as serious you lived back then?
Speaker 2: Was I remember that very well?
Speaker 1: Was it taken as seriously as everyone's taking this?
Speaker 4: Or is he was?
Speaker 1: The thought process? These are just two crazy broads.
Speaker 3: There's I think there's some I vaguely remember the attempt on Reagan's life very different circumstances, because obviously there was a point where there was some concern that the president was going to die. That has not been the case, thankfully, in these you know, these two attempts. But I mean, it was wall to wall coverage constantly with Reagan. And I remember, I think it was Newsweek magazine that my parents subscribed to, and I remember seeing an image on the inside one of the articles describing that where the path of the bullet in Reagan's body and how close he was to having his heart shredded by the bullet fragments that made its way into his chest cavity. That kind of that kind of imagery is will forever be in my head, whether it's because I was what eight years old at the time or whatever. But I don't think that those images last as long today in someone's head for a couple of different reasons. Number One, our news cycle turns so quickly that it can easily be replaced by a stupid story about a barbecued dog or an otter that can smell underwater.
Speaker 1: Barbecued dog.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm just talking about all those stories about eating the animals. Oh yeah, I mean that kind of stuff. There are some iconic images from the assassination.
Speaker 1: I don't think they're barbecuing the cats and dogs and the ducks.
Speaker 2: Well, how else are they gonna eat them.
Speaker 1: I think they're just grabbing them and just cheating them. Raw.
Speaker 2: Okay, that's the latest version.
Speaker 3: I mean, there are iconic images of that Butler pa attempt, you know what, the president former president was in the air and the flag in the background, surrounded by the Secret Service agent. Some of those images will live on, but I mean it was almost like a shoulder shrug yesterday. I think for some people that somebody tried to assassinate a a former president, be a major presidential candidate, and there's no one.
Speaker 2: I mean President Biden. He still is the president.
Speaker 3: By the way, he came out and said that, I think we need more personnel. I mean, I want someone's head to be on fire about this. Regardless of whether or not you like the guy or don't. This is not a path that is good for anyone to go down. And if politicians and pundits and talking heads and people on both sides, if they don't start taking responsibility for the words that come out of their mouth and the just absolute constant stoking of the fires, and the other side is bad and they're evil and they are plotting the destruction of the country or whatever.
Speaker 2: This it's gonna get. It's gonna get worse.
Speaker 3: Two assassination attempts in two months is going to seem like ice cream Sunday. I saw the sheriff in Palm Beach County yesterday when he was doing his news conference, and he suggested that because Donald Trump is a former president, the level of security around him is smaller than if he were the sitting president. Obviously, but there are certain and I don't I don't know the exact size or what the concentric circles would be. A sitting president obviously would have the highest level of security. Vice president would probably have the exact same, and then from there you've got, you know, the heads of the major candidates. And that's obviously one of the reasons why Trump has the protection, but also because he is a former president and he has a Secret Service protection for the rest of his life.
Speaker 1: I have a conspiracy theory that this was done because Trump needs attention. I think somebody in his orbit did this to revive what happened in Pennsylvania. Put that back on our radar, get some attention, win a news cycle. He hasn't won a news cycle. He's been struggling ever since the debate.
Speaker 2: But how does that happen?
Speaker 3: And I'm not how how does somebody cook up this idea, find this guy who's crazy enough to be convinced to do this and throw away the rest of his life?
Speaker 2: For what I mean? I what was? How how do you do it?
Speaker 1: Well? You find you do just that. You find someone crazy enough, somebody who's ranting online or on you know, Reddit or Discord or what have you about Ukraine, and that feels strongly and you use your back channels to get them to remember that girl who convinced that guy to kill him? Be a text message. I mean, when somebody's crazy, it's easy to manipulate them to do what you want them to do. And I think that it's a plausible plot. And the other thing is I'm not convinced Trump doesn't have some sort of knowledge about this. I mean, this is a guy who's spent his life getting ratings. It's a guy who loves the teas, a guy who knows how to put on a show a production, and he would be the ultimate showrunner in.
Speaker 3: This situation, Well, there is a couple of weird There's a weird thing that has come out that I just saw the report on. Amy mentioned it a few minutes ago that allegedly this guy, Ryan Routh had spent twelve hours at the Trump National golf course before Secret Service spotted him there.
Speaker 2: Now, the other what makes that unusual is.
Speaker 3: This golf outing was supposedly a last minute decision that nobody knew about it except Trump, the guy that he was playing with, and a couple of his people around him.
Speaker 1: And how would this guy know where to find him?
Speaker 2: Right?
Speaker 3: And I mean not, I think that kind of maybe lends a little accidental credence to what you're talking about.
Speaker 2: How does it How does a guy who out of nowhere.
Speaker 3: Either hates the president or whatever his motivation is, how does he know that Trump was going to be there?
Speaker 2: And I mean, from that point, it does.
Speaker 1: That's my conspiracy theory.
Speaker 4: M h.
Speaker 3: From that point, it doesn't take a lot of math to go, Okay, if I'm gonna if I'm gonna target somebody on a golf course, the only guaranteed place that a golf player is going to be is on the t box and depending if you're playing with me or not on the green now, And apparently he was set up, I think it was close to the sixth green if the diagram that I saw was anywhere close to true.
Speaker 2: But but that would make sense.
Speaker 3: And in fact, I know that they said that he was about four hundred yards or whatever, the length of distance between where he was set up and where the president actually was when this went down.
Speaker 2: But he was getting closer. I mean, as Trump made his way around that.
Speaker 3: Golf course from the fifth hole to the sixth hole, he was eventually going to be very, very close to this guy. And again there is a question, yes, and I want to play a quick talkback, but there is a question of from different law enforcement agents, or I should say, from news anchors to law enforcement agents, both former and current, could anything else have been done? Was this technically a success? Were there enough Secret Service agents there?
Speaker 6: That's always going to be a question that you have to take a look at in the aftermath of something like this. But I also think that according to their plan, it worked as it was supposed to work. The other only option that you have is to close off the entire area, and I don't know if you can do. I mean, it's a big public area, there's a lot of activity, there's businesses that are working. I mean, if he wants to play golf, he can play golf. But there is going to be that inherent risk. Again, you put your resources out there in the manner that you do, and you're able to subvert the threat the way.
Speaker 4: That they did.
Speaker 3: That's Frank Montoya, former FBI Secrets Sorry, special agent.
Speaker 1: So we've got special agents calling in on the talkback.
Speaker 2: No, no, no, no. This was the guy from the talk back, Garry Shannon. You know, I've been listening and I don't understand this narrative of was this a secret service success or is this a Secret service failure? They stopped the guy. It's Florida.
Speaker 7: Florida is nothing but bushes and trees. If anyone has been there, you can see just quarter mile distances between even meager houses, which is nothing but like just tree lines and things you can hide. In the fact that the secret Service agent saw a barrel pointing out of the bushes and took a shot at the guy and stopped him before it even started, that sounds like a success to me.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, I mean, but there is still a question, how does a guy get that close to a former president with a rifle like that?
Speaker 1: Was this woman on your radar? This Laura Lumer Maga shorder activist.
Speaker 2: I actually saw a bit of her stuff.
Speaker 3: I had to be after the first assassination at Tip it started coming up on in Twitter and on my feed in that she was responding to stories that were just high profile and she had a certain amount of I don't want to say credibility, but she had a certain amount of information that made it seem like she was getting some sort of inside scoop from somewhere. A lot of it turned out to just be, you know, empty promises of I'm going to have a document dump that's going to prove that the shooter in Butler, PA was funded by Democrats or whatever.
Speaker 1: And yes, she's one of those they're eating animals in Springfield, Ohio people. From what I see that she writes, she's just incendiary for the sake of being in cyndiary, it seems, but maybe a true believer also, she's not going to get him anywhere when it comes to swing voters in or swing state voters. It's just it's another thing that he's doing that's only going to help him with his base where he doesn't need help.
Speaker 3: Well, And even that, I don't, I don't, I don't, that's not a guarantee. I mean, the Tom Tillis's, the the Lindsay Grahams, even like you said, the Marjorie Taylor Greens in the Republican Party have said that this woman should be kept at arm's length, that she should not well. According to a couple of different reports, he wanted to hire her last year as part of the campaign, and his senior advisors were like, absolutely not. You do not want to get she is nuclear do you do not want her in your circle.
Speaker 1: So this is what she wrote on social media this week about Kamala Harris. The White House will smell like curry and White House speeches will be facilitated via a call center. Now, that wasn't a off color joke that she made to a friend, a dumb joke, but she published that. She put her name behind that and publicized it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and Trump was asked about his relationship with her at that news conference that he did down in our RPV last week, and all he basically said was, I know her, I know she's a big fan of the campaign and then said I don't know what she said, which is listen, I don't know if he does, if he knew or not what she wrote, which was completely stupid. But see, you can't and this is I think this is an example her. She is an example of what's wrong with both sides at this point, because you can't. Republicans don't hold the higher ground when it comes to throwing out stupid, baseless claims that do nothing to further the political discourse. That was a stupid thing. And the fact that she's as high profile as she is, having traveled with the former president in the day's previous that that's a complete distraction. It's an obvious mistake that you could have avoided by not having her that close to the to the candidate.
Speaker 1: That gets you nowhere in Georgia, that gets you nowhere in North Carolina, two key states.
Speaker 3: Right, there's no independent, there's no one who's like, I don't know who I'm going to vote for. Who then sees that and is like, oh, that's what. I don't want Curry in my white House.
Speaker 1: I just wanted to let that sit there, you know, thanks, I want I want Curry in my White House. I actually saw there's a Thai restaurant, not thaie Indian restaurant. Excuse me. I did see a Thai restaurant as well.
Speaker 2: But they probably got some curry too.
Speaker 1: I saw an Indian restaurant the other day right around the corner from the hotel, and I've been tasting chicken Tika masala ever since. I may go there.
Speaker 3: Boy, what a great sit down interview Kamala Harris did with awful a Channel six Action News out of Pennsylvania.
Speaker 1: I cannot get over the condescension. And she hasn't done this for a long time, and there it is. It reared its ugly head, just the condescension over her saying she grew up with people who cared about their lawns. Oh like oh, the little people who only just cared about only have pride in their lawn.
Speaker 3: But it's just like what was And that's the thing is was that a message to supporters of hers that they would know exactly what she meant by that.
Speaker 2: Here's here's her answer.
Speaker 8: I try to explain to some people who may not have had the same experience, you know, if but a lot of people will relate to this, you know, I grew up in a neighborhood of folks who are very proud.
Speaker 1: Of their lawn, you know, And.
Speaker 8: I was raised to believe and to know that all people deserve dignity and that we as Americans have a beautiful character.
Speaker 1: We're going back to saying nothing.
Speaker 8: Ambitions and aspirations and dreams, but not everyone necessarily has access to the resources that can help them fuel those dreams and ambitions. So when I talk about building an opportunity economy, it is very much with the mind of investing in the ambitions and aspirations and the incredible work ethic of the American people and creating.
Speaker 1: Out She has about seven hundred ways to say, I believe in the redistribution of wealth. She's like Eskimo with words for snow. She's she's very clever in the way that she describes socialism, you know.
Speaker 2: But even then it's it.
Speaker 1: And also, we know we have dreams and aspirations. Like it kind of sounds like she thinks she's telling us that, like, you know, Americans, they've got dreams and aspirations. It's like, yes, yes, we do. We are we are Americans. We're talking to Americans. We all have that Oh, well, in this country of America, right, Yeah, you don't want to hear about a little girl with a dream to have a nice lawn. But you know, like my grandfather took great pride in his lawn. I mean, he really did.
Speaker 4: That.
Speaker 1: And I hear that, and I hear like she's putting it down that that that was one of his priorities in life was to have a great lawn. I gets these little people or something, I don't know, it rought me the wrong way.
Speaker 2: That's end. You don't have a lawn.
Speaker 1: I don't have a lawn.
Speaker 2: Gary, you're fighting for those of us who do.
Speaker 1: Shannon Farren fighting for us.
Speaker 3: All fighting for fighting for the lawn owners. You've been listening to the Gary and Shannon Show. You can always hear us live on KFI AM six forty nine am to one pm every Monday through Friday, and anytime on demand on the iHeartRadio ap