Speaker 1: For members only and everyone else. Golf Smarter number three hundred and forty eight, published on September eleven, twenty twelve.
Speaker 2: Welcome to Golf Smarter Mulligans, your second chance to gain insight and advice from the best instructors featured on the Golf Smarter podcast Great Golf Instruction Never Gets Old. Our interview library features hundreds of hours of game improvement conversations like this that are no longer available in any podcast app.
Speaker 1: Having a comedy night at a golf course is a great idea.
Speaker 3: I think so too.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and the members just seem to really love it.
Speaker 1: It's a really me especially as you're doing golf comedy.
Speaker 3: Yeah, exactly, a baked yeah.
Speaker 4: And it's a great even And you're getting a really good bang for your buck too, because you're getting four guys that you know tour internationally, a lot of us, like I've been to Iraq in Afghanistan doing troup tours. So you're getting a really good show. And the reason you're getting that is because we're all golf freaks and so we don't really care about if it's going to be financially viable. If we're playing golf and drinking beer and eating.
Speaker 3: We're happy. It's a high quality show. It's just a killer. It's really fun.
Speaker 1: It's Golf Comedy Night with the Hacks featuring Paul Meyer Hawk.
Speaker 2: This is Golf Smarter, sharing tips and insights from golfers and golf professionals to help lower your score. It's worked for your host, Fred Green.
Speaker 1: Welcome to Golf Smarter for members only.
Speaker 3: Paul, Hey, Fred, how you doing.
Speaker 1: I'm doing well. I'm glad to be back doing the show again. Hiatus made me kind of crazy, but I'm excited to have a comedian on to help break the eyes.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's kind of weird on a golf show to have a stand up comic, isn't it.
Speaker 1: Well, No, you have to play golf standing.
Speaker 3: Up, that's yeah. And you also have to laugh a lot.
Speaker 1: Yeah, right, You have to be able to laugh a lot when you're playing golf or go home. And what better thing in the world to make fun of other than current day politics in the United States, But what better thing to make fun of than golf.
Speaker 4: Yes, it is such a frustrating because comedy comes from real emotions, and I think every nerve.
Speaker 3: Is exposed out on a golf course, so it is.
Speaker 4: Yeah, there's lots to talk about, lots to laugh about.
Speaker 1: That's interesting you say that comedy comes from real emotions. How did Where do you where? Where does your material come from? I mean, how do you write?
Speaker 3: Writing?
Speaker 4: Writing for me is the most difficult part of it. I'm I'm definitely more of a stronger performer, so I try to use real life, ridiculous scenarios for my stand up. So some of my most popular bits are well, definitely the most popular one is a true story about getting an adult circumcision.
Speaker 1: Well, that's really funny.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, absolutely so.
Speaker 4: I mean for a situation that you know, usually people would wouldn't even admit to it or talk about it in public, but since it's so raw.
Speaker 3: No pun intended, but I mean it was.
Speaker 4: It was one of the one of the most hilarious things I've gone through in my life. So that turned in when I first started talking about it. The bit was about fifteen minutes long, about about this day that I got my adult circumcision done. And I think it makes for the best stand up because the audience knows it's it's real and also not there's no other comics that would have the same bit because it's such a true story.
Speaker 1: Yeah right, you're not going to see Robin Williams ripping off your material all too soon?
Speaker 3: No, definitely, not right.
Speaker 1: Robin is notorious for being heard and being heard in the back of the club and laughing louder than anybody, And whenever a comic, here's Robin laughing. There going oh great, he's going to be using that now.
Speaker 3: Yeah, there it goes well.
Speaker 4: He tells so many jokes in one breath that I think he needs to steal because he's told about sixteen jokes in four seconds.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: And the best thing about Robin's material is there's no way that anybody is ever able to repeat it at the water cooler the next day at work.
Speaker 3: No chance.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it goes by so fast. It's like he was really funny. What do you do? I don't know, but I was laughing all night long.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I guaranteed.
Speaker 4: And he goes through the most water I've ever seen a human being drink in an hour set. It's probably seven bottles of water. I guess he's throwing most of it around the stage, But yeah, he's amazing.
Speaker 1: I actually, when I got started in radio in San Francisco in the seventies. I was working at a radio station, the FM Rock station in San Francisco. That kind of started the whole FM rock routine, and we were doing We had relationship with a lot of comics and clubs, and that's when Robin was getting started. And I was at like one of the first clubs, the Boarding House in San Francisco. He performed, which was outrageous. I was at a party one night where he was doing his stand up to I swear to god, he was doing it to a lampshade. And I was at a benefit concert for a friend who passed away that Robin was headlining, and we got to sit in the front row and I had a cast on my leg and Robin started doing a bit about white guys playing basketball, and he looked over at me and said, what's wrong with your leg? And I said, I spring my ankle playing basketball. And then he took my crutches and did five minutes on my crutches.
Speaker 3: Amazing. Yeah, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 4: I think him and Steve Martin are got to be the two best guys just to like Riff, and I think that's why with their movie Roles and a director I'll just say, okay, talk about this elevator door for as long as possible. And it's amazing. You know, I really like, I do not have that talent on board.
Speaker 3: I just so.
Speaker 4: I can't believe how good those boys are at improv.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, he is remarkable, you know, Bobby Slayton the Bulldog. Absolutely all right, So here's another one for you. When I was starting out in radio here, I was working the morning show. I was the morning show producer at this radio station, and it really didn't pay me that well. I just graduated college. I started working at the radio station as an intern, and then they hired me on. I stayed down for two and a half years, and the I would get off work, I had to be at work at five point thirty in the morning, and i'd be done. I'd run around doing things for other people. I'd be done by eleven eleven o'clock that morning. So I got a second job, and from noon to six I was working in a record store.
Speaker 3: Remember records, I do remember records?
Speaker 1: You remember hearing about them?
Speaker 3: Well, yeah, I remember my dad telling me about them, right exactly.
Speaker 1: So I worked at a record store in a big office complex. The Embarcadero in San Francisco, and Bobby Slayton was starting in comedy and I was starting ready and we worked together at this record store.
Speaker 3: Oh no chance, is that right?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Yeah, so I and you know, you and I all get off air because I have stories about Dana Carvey. I went to college with Michael Pritchard. One's stand up comedy is a friend. So I've had a lot of relationship with different comics and I just love being around comics because I get it. And there are so many different types of styles for comedy. There are storytellers, there are people who just feed off the audience. There are joke tellers and right, and you are just one of those guys that what just does real life stories. You just tell your stories of your life.
Speaker 3: Yeah, i'd say so.
Speaker 4: Where where I grew up doing stand up in in Western Canada, a lot of us have storytelling style.
Speaker 3: So I'm I'm.
Speaker 4: Definitely a storyteller with a little bit of conversational humor.
Speaker 3: I I talk to the.
Speaker 4: Audience quite a bit and then and then and then sink stories in between a it.
Speaker 3: So, but yeah, it's very much this style.
Speaker 4: Western Canadian sort of that drawler sort of stoner pacing and uh yeah.
Speaker 3: So that that's how I describe it for sure.
Speaker 1: And so you do allow the audience to chime in.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, yeah, I I talked to the audience quite a bit. And for me, you know, I guess the trick being is if you can, if you can ask them a few questions that you know is going to load it into the story or pointed into that direction. Is sort of my style, and then it all sort of seems conversational, like you're just sort of hanging out at a barbecue having a beer with the stand up is.
Speaker 3: Sort of my goal.
Speaker 4: Just completely comfortable and yeah, so that's definitely my style.
Speaker 1: Oh well, why are Canadians so funny? Great comedy comes out of Canada. Great comedy.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, I mean there it's such a it's such a competitive circuit because I would say now that we're getting there's probably only twenty seven clubs across the whole country. And it's a huge country. So if you want to get into it, you've got to beat a lot of guys out. So the guys that are ready to the professionals we have that are going to the United States.
Speaker 3: I live in England. I live in the UK. A lot of us end up moving over there as well.
Speaker 4: But when by the time you go, your road hard and you know, I was working ten years before I made my move to the UK, and.
Speaker 3: I also have a visa for the States as well.
Speaker 4: But so the comics you're seeing her started when they're eighteen, and they've been chewing nails up here. It's kind of like Russia, Rocky, you know, Rocky for training in Russia because the gigs are rough like there. It's mostly bars in Northern Canada, and you got to be pretty sharp, you know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So I guess the goal for Canadian comics is to make it to the United States, and the goal for United for American or no, I'm sorry, United States comics because you're an American United States comics is to get a sitcom.
Speaker 3: Yes, absolutely, yeah, that's right.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you pulls this jub Seinfeld. You you know, everyone wants to be Seinfeld.
Speaker 3: Yeah, everybody wants that.
Speaker 4: And the new one is Louis Now, Louis c K's got the best man and he's the best deal with HBO, you know, complete freedom to do whatever you want. So I'd say that's sort of the the new thing everybody's after. But yeah, for US Canadians, just getting down to the US and and not driving on snow roads is basically like if we if we have a road trip in California, We're just like like.
Speaker 3: Oh my goodness, I've hit the big time, you know.
Speaker 4: So yeah, and the UK is also good move for US as well. The visas come a little bit easier. And and you know, there's three hundred clubs in London alone, three hundred comedy clubs, so it's there's a ton of work out there.
Speaker 1: I can imagine just applying for a visa in the United States is going to be funny. It's like, and what is your profession? I'm a canedian. Okay, go ahead and make me laugh.
Speaker 3: You know what.
Speaker 4: Your border guards are so intense, and they do ask you because my visa is for.
Speaker 3: It's it's it's funny.
Speaker 4: So it's a sports stars and and entertainer visa, so it says a visa of extraordinary talent.
Speaker 3: Which is hilarious. I just basically tell dick jokes.
Speaker 1: But yeah, I'm sorry circumcision never mind circumcision dons.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but the most border guards and they're intense, like you your border guards are, I mean, and they'll look at you with those serious eyes and be like, so, what makes you extraordinary? And I'll be like, well, stand up comic, and they say, tell me a joke every time, and it's yeah.
Speaker 1: I'm not a joke teller, yeah, more of a storyteller. So you really want to hear about my adult circumcision.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that'd get me weighed through pretty quick.
Speaker 1: I should never mind.
Speaker 3: Oh my goodness.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but but yeah, the visas for for the Americans are tough. You have to prove that you're the funny and the top five percent of your field in in uh in your country before they'll give you a visa.
Speaker 1: So how do you quantify top five top five percent? I mean, it's not like your golf scorecard. Yeah, well I'm a thirteen handicap comedian. It's like, what does that mean?
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, I got a really funny elevator joke. No, they but for me, I'd won a competition. Not a lot of Americans enter too. It's a televised for the Comedy Network called The Great Canadian Laugh Off, and it starts, I think with one hundred and sixty three competitors and the winner gets twenty five grand. So I lucked out and won it in two thousand and seven, So that put me in a position where I could prove I was the top five percent at that time.
Speaker 3: So yeah, but.
Speaker 1: You haven't been funny since two thousand and seven.
Speaker 3: No, and the money's long gone too.
Speaker 1: How do they judge comedy competition? What do they know? I know that they have the San Francisco stand of Fest comedy festival, and annually each year. And I said Mike Richard, you know, won back in the eighties, and he's still writing that.
Speaker 4: Yeah for sure. Yeah, that's a big one. The San Francisco is a huge competition. That Seattle and Boston are your three big ones, but San Francisco is the biggest.
Speaker 3: And well, what they do.
Speaker 4: Is on the preliminary nights, it's judged by radio DJs and local stand up bookers and even like right down to like bar managers and waitresses, so whoever they can dig up to judge, and they'll judge it by audience response, original material. And then there's time constraints as well, if you have to if you go over your time, you get docked.
Speaker 3: If you go under your time, you get docked.
Speaker 4: And that's basically how they do it, just by different criteria. And then when the when you're in the finals of the competition, when you like the top five, then they start bringing in uh, you know, like somebody from the Comedy Network, I mean the or a booker for David Letterman or yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and then that, to me is valid having a disc jockey there. You know. It's like, if there's anybody more insecure than stand up comics, it's disc jockeys.
Speaker 3: Yeah, is that right?
Speaker 1: You tell me? Do we not? Do we not? Look at Larry David or any stand up comic going what wow, you guys are so insecure?
Speaker 3: Oh man, yeah, yeah, not true.
Speaker 1: I mean stand up comics are pretty insecure. It's like I'm funny. Aren't I that good? I mean how many times? How many? I know? When like if I see Bobby Slayton after a show? Was that funny? Is that good? How was was that funny?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Bobby, you were very funny? Really was I funny? What was funny?
Speaker 3: Yeah? What what part did you like the best?
Speaker 1: How was my Did you like this bit? I heard you do it? You don't have to do it again?
Speaker 3: Oh? For sure?
Speaker 4: And I'd say well, if you have this, if you feel the need to be in front of people and talk about the things like talk about you know, your life situations and there there's definitely something wrong with you. I don't know what it is, if it's in security, but it's one running theme with all this to all my friends and stand up. There's there's some sort of need that you're trying to fill to to stand up and talk about your adult circumcision.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 1: Okay, so there is audience participation in your show, it's real life stories. How many times has somebody in your audience raised their hand and said, why in regards to your your opening bit, your your adult SUPERSTI superstition superstition, your adult briss as the tribe would call it, but why did you do an adult circumcision?
Speaker 3: I get that question all the time.
Speaker 4: So we end up talking about about my unit for about forty minute. They're very interesting Why I did it? A lot of people think it's cosmetic, but it was. There's actually if one in about a thousand guys will have this. Uh, it's it's it's just it needs to be done. Your your foreskin is too tight, so.
Speaker 1: It okay, blab blab. That's good. That's that's really funny, Paul, It's really funny. It's I'm glad that we're you know, I had the exercise physiologist on last time. Yeah, I was about a technical I want to get it's a yeah, so to talk golf. Let's talk golf now. The way I discovered you is when I was up in British Columbia on vacation this summer. And this is kind of appropriate. Uh, when I was playing at the Colowna Golf Club. I was in the bathroom and while I was sitting there there there was a flyer on the the you know, it's like graffiti, but there was a liar in the wall is saying coming next month, the hackers, And at dinner show beforehand and then the hackers and I'm like, oh, now, this is an interesting idea. Did I get this straight? They at this club they're having you know, come to the club, have dinner, and then after dinner, we have a comedy troupe that's doing golf humor.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Absolutely, Well. The thing is is that I guess it wouldn't be.
Speaker 3: I mean, it's four stand up comics together.
Speaker 4: And after the show, so we do a UK style of show. We each there's an MC that does twenty minutes and then we all do twenty minutes of stand up afterwards. So the show is about an hour and a half to two hours because usually, you know, you have fun, you go a little long. And we do talk about golf because obviously we're on tour.
Speaker 3: We're golfing every day.
Speaker 4: We're frustrated because we're playing, and so we're talking to golf golf.
Speaker 3: But it but it is a stand up show, so they're the theme.
Speaker 4: It's not like theme specific to golf, and and so we are doing.
Speaker 3: Our acts and stuff as well.
Speaker 4: But it's uh yeah, four comics that love golf and and uh and get out there and do.
Speaker 3: The hacks tour.
Speaker 1: What a scam. So you guys get to go and you go to these really nice places and during the day you play golf. In a night you work. Yeah that's again at golf is part of the deal for you.
Speaker 4: Yeah, usually it's golf the carts included.
Speaker 3: And then and.
Speaker 4: Of course for the show we demand meal and and free beer.
Speaker 3: So yeah, it's a pretty rough, rough week of work.
Speaker 1: How and how is your bookings? Do you get work? How have you been doing this.
Speaker 3: Oh the tour? This is This was the second year of the tour.
Speaker 4: The exciting thing is is when the first year we did it I did. I would book out theaters and get the golf courses as sponsorships for the theater shows, and we would run the production ourselves and sell tickets because you know up in Canada here, all of the guys on the tour are just for laughs, veterans. We've all had our stand up specials on the Comedy Network, so we can bring a few people in, so four of us are enough to sell a theater. So this year it moved into more doing the shows in the clubhouse of the golf course, which.
Speaker 3: Which started off with.
Speaker 4: Black Mountain up there, and we've found that is a lot more successful because it's something different for the members, and especially at these more posh golf courses, they it's just a completely wild idea to them. So so we moved more into that and it's and it's working out great.
Speaker 1: Oh fabulous, congratulations, I'm glad it's working out. Do a lot of golfers take two? Do a lot of comedians spend their days playing golf? Or are they just drinking and smoking pot all day or they are all of.
Speaker 3: It, all of it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, Well, actually I'm friends with a ton of comics that play golf, and I think, I think.
Speaker 1: Rock and rollers and comedians and baseball, you know, the guys who had work mostly at night, that golf is a great thing for them to do during.
Speaker 3: The day for sure.
Speaker 4: And like you said, like it keeps you out of trouble. You're you know, instead of sitting at home and doing nothing or getting high or whatever you're into.
Speaker 3: You you're out there in the sunshine. You're with buddies. So a ton.
Speaker 4: I mean, you should see how many comics are asking me to be a part of the tour.
Speaker 3: And I got, you know, a lot.
Speaker 4: Of good friends out there, so it's tough to disappoint them. But yeah, I mean there is a lot of guys that play, tons of guys, and.
Speaker 1: So the the four guys that you have in this show, and the show is called.
Speaker 3: It's called The Hacks.
Speaker 1: Commed the Hacks okay with an X or a cksks X.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, because hack is kind of it's a pun of of kind of like a hacky comic, you know, So the Hacks.
Speaker 1: Right right, oh right, A comic is a hack and a golfer as a hacker. Okay, so, and is it you're you got four guys, the same four guys that travel around to do this.
Speaker 3: Last year.
Speaker 4: We had two new guys on tour this year. One of the guys is working in in Asia right now, Carrie Younger couldn't make it because he's in Asia. And another guy, Kevin Stobo, who that we run a tournament.
Speaker 3: As we're doing this tour. We're keeping track of our scores.
Speaker 4: And doing a tournament between ourselves and doing the updates on Facebook and Twitter and stuff so people can follow along.
Speaker 3: But the tournament's named after Kevin.
Speaker 4: It's called the Kevin Stobo Classic and uh and insecure.
Speaker 3: Insecure, Yeah, yeah for sure.
Speaker 4: So but he couldn't make it this year. So we had a buddy, two good buddies, Damon schridd who who was the first Canadian to ever win the Seattle International Comedy Competition, and another guy, Tim Nutt. And and so I think we'll get a couple of new guys in every year. So the audiences in in the Okanagan and stuff, don't get don't get sick of the same. The same four guys always performing. But I guess because I put on the tour, it'll I'll probably stay on it every year, I imagine.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well I hope so. And and you just primarily play in Canada.
Speaker 4: No, no, I I live in I live in London, in England the Hacks.
Speaker 1: The Hacks primarily tour in Canada, or you also play England, London and England and the United States. Where do you play?
Speaker 3: Uh?
Speaker 4: No, this is this is only the second year, so we're it's all Canada dates. It's and more specifically in the in the Rockies and in the Okanagan and a little bit on the island, Vancouver Island.
Speaker 1: But so you're primarily in British Columbia.
Speaker 3: M hm.
Speaker 1: And is that because golf doesn't necessarily happen twelve months a year in Canada.
Speaker 3: That's exactly right. Yeah.
Speaker 4: And and the golf courses in the Rockies are I mean the Bay Area, you guys have, Like I work down in the Bay Area as a comic and I take a week off to go golfing it there every year as well. And I would put your golf courses, you know, pound for pound, but the scenery and the views and the quality of the golf courses in the Rockies in Canada is top notch.
Speaker 1: Yet I was blown away how beautiful the Okanagan area was. It was absolutely blown away. It's like the secret. We're like, we discovered this breathtaking and actually there's if people haven't checked it out. I threw up on our golf Smarter TV YouTube channel a little bit of a tour of the golf course that we played, and we even interviewed the head teaching pro the GM at that course. When are you going to make this a year long tour that you can come to the States and play the southern part of the US. And how can people get in touch with me so I can put them in touch with you to book some gigs in their private courses or do you play public courses as well?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 4: We played both public and private. Absolutely. If they can get in touch with you and you can fire them off my way, that would be delightful. And the sooner I can play golf all year, the better. So let's get these phone calls flying in.
Speaker 1: And I will I'm going to become the booking agent for the hacks in the in the United States. That is that is now my new role.
Speaker 3: That sounds perfect.
Speaker 4: We'll talk percentages when we when we finish up here, I think.
Speaker 1: We should make this a public conversation. Okay, so give me some golf comedy. Which what's your favorite story? Your favorite golf story. I'm not that people are going to be you know, if they hear it a second time ago. I know this bit punchline.
Speaker 4: Well, I'm going to take my favorite golf stories for sure. Damon the guy that came on tour with us this year, but he was playing down in Mexico. He was at a wedding and they went, they went and played a course down in Mexico, and and you've probably played down there, you you know. They insisted you have a caddy with you, and.
Speaker 3: So he what.
Speaker 1: Part of Mexico? Because I haven't had to worry about that.
Speaker 4: Oh really okay, well yeah, yeah, well anyway, maybe it was this specific golf course, but you get.
Speaker 3: A caddy, ye, And so he hit the ball in the rough and they go down there.
Speaker 4: It's right beside a lake and there's a eight foot alligator laying there and his ball is about what would he say, twelve feet in front of this alligator. And Damon's obviously like, okay, I'm not going to play this ball.
Speaker 3: Let's go up in the fairway. I'll take a drop.
Speaker 4: And the caddy said, no, no, no, very lazy, this type of year, very lazy.
Speaker 3: It's okay.
Speaker 4: So he walked down there and really nervous about hitting the ball. Of course, he catches the leading edge and sculls it and hits the alligator right in the ribs. And he's not too pleased about it. He cranks his head and hisses at him, and Damon freezes and all you can hear is the caddy yelling, and he's running up the fairway. So that's got to be my favorite golf story is Damon crank and an alligator in the ribs.
Speaker 1: And what about your own personal golf stories? Would what kind of golfer are you?
Speaker 4: I we were talking before. You know, when I was younger, I used to be able to play, all right, I played in tournaments and stuff, and I mean nothing from likely story.
Speaker 1: When I was younger, I could play well.
Speaker 3: Yeah, also, yeah for sure.
Speaker 4: But these days I was just out this morning, I shot in eighty seven this morning.
Speaker 3: I'm going out right after this round.
Speaker 4: I'm gonna go play there's a Jack Nicholas course up here called Northern Bear.
Speaker 3: So I'm gonna go play right after I hang up with you.
Speaker 1: And you said you played this morning.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I played this morning.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and you're going and now we're gonna done? Is that why he sent me an email going, can we talk immediately instead of waiting because you had a second round scheduled?
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's exactly right. Yeah, yeah I got a second round.
Speaker 1: Okay, So where can we fill out a job application to be a comic so that we can play golf twice a day and still get work in I know?
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, well I just have to fire three emails. But yeah, I don't get a chance to play much in the UK, so when I'm at home. The first ten days I was on this, I think I played twelve rounds and ten days.
Speaker 3: So yeah, you got to make sure you get out there and enjoy it, you know.
Speaker 1: Oh man, all right, give me I want more bits. I want more golf comedy.
Speaker 3: Okay.
Speaker 4: Well, when I was working at the golf course when I was younger, we used to you would get for tournaments. You would get the fleet carts in so you'd get a big semi trailer coming in. They bring it, you know, fifty or one hundred extra golf carts for big tournaments. And our job was is to meet these guys late at night and help them get the golf carts off the semi trailer and park them.
Speaker 3: So all the guys wanted want.
Speaker 4: We were young, and we thought it was really cool to drive the carts and everything. And one of the semi trailer drivers taught us how to pull the governor, like the speed control on the engines, if you would just stick a tee.
Speaker 3: In there and open it up.
Speaker 4: And now the golf carts is going you know thirty, you know, twenty five, thirty miles per hour.
Speaker 3: They have the ability to go that fast.
Speaker 4: So he taught us that, and so we're finished our job. We pulled a governor and the golf cart I had. Let's see, I think there was six of us on one golf cart, and it was it was an old school one without a roof on it, an old Yamaha one. So we're flying going twenty five miles an hour down a par five fairway and it was it was wet grass. So one of my buddies said, slam on the brake and let's do a three sixty. And so I did it, and we rolled that cart twice.
Speaker 3: We rolled it twice. It was amazing.
Speaker 4: There's I had friends flying all over the place and a good thing.
Speaker 3: Knowing was hurt. We were, I think we were both.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, I'm sorry, but I'm a parent and I hear stories like that, and the first thing is like, you don't do that, you get hurt. It's like, you know, but no, we're teenagers. That was awesome, man, Let's do it again.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, for sure, especially if.
Speaker 1: One of your buddies gets hurt, then it's really funny.
Speaker 3: Yeah, then it's really cool. Yeah, yeah for sure. And you're right.
Speaker 4: We flipped that cart back on its wheels and did it over and over again, just laughing and having a great time. So man, but you get into you get into fun stories like that when you work at a golf course and what goes on afterwards.
Speaker 3: I mean there, it's just a riot.
Speaker 4: You know, you in the morning do if you get there early enough, you can go cartwater skiing. You put a crazy carpet behind the cart, tie rope to it, and cartwater skiing and you're not on water, you're just on the grass on the.
Speaker 1: Have I have a friend that part of his uh when they graduated, I think it was from high school, and they got a bunch of guys together to just go out because they had nothing to do that summer. They went out and played golf and they were just slamming their drinks, doing shots all day long. And the eighteenth hole, they put the golf cart in the lake and one of the guys like, no, my phone, my wallet, and he dove back in the hotter and retrieved his stuff. And then when the marshall came out, they're like, it just took off on us and they got away with it.
Speaker 3: No.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's like, oh, we're really sorry you guys. Okay, yeah, man, but this golf cart, what the hell happened? We were like playing and you know, it's like you know, and of course they're really drunk, and they're only eighteen years old, like they were really we just don't know what happened.
Speaker 4: And they didn't see all the beer cans floating beside the golf cart.
Speaker 1: They were doing shots all day. Well, that's okay, kids, we'll retrieve the golf cart out of the water, and you guys just go home and you are you okay? Yeah?
Speaker 3: Oh man, amazing.
Speaker 4: That's when you're glad you're not the guy that signed the waiver that morning, you know.
Speaker 1: Right, exactly exactly. Wow, Well, Paul, I'm really glad I tracked you down and I would love to help you find different opportunities to play here in the States, because especially here in the Bay Area. I want to find a way to bring you out here and play a couple different courses over a week or so, and we'll play golf together on regular basis. I just think that would be so much fun. And you know, I know that private courses is especially you know, they'll have music. You know, they'll have a live jazz combo. Come out for dinner and we're gonna have live music that night. You know, boring, and maybe they have a speaker or even the head pro will answer answer a couple of questions. You know. But I think having a comedy night at a golf course is a great, great idea.
Speaker 3: I think so too.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and the members just seem to really love it.
Speaker 1: It's a it's a really me especially because you're doing comedy, you're doing golf comedy.
Speaker 4: Yeah, exactly, exactly, Yeah, And it's a it's a great even and you're getting a really good bang for your buck too, because you're getting four guys that are that, you know, tour internationally, a lot of us, like a couple of us, you know in like I've been to Iraq in Afghanistan doing troop tours. So you're getting a really good show. And the reason you're getting that is because we're all golf freaks and so we don't really care about, you know, if it's going to be financially viable. If we're playing golf and drinking beer and eating, we're we're happy. So it's a it's a high quality show. It's it's it's just a killer. It's it's it's it's really fun.
Speaker 1: Oh so when you were in Iraq in Afghanistan, are you doing golf jokes?
Speaker 4: Oh no, no, no, definitely not more.
Speaker 1: You're doing circumcision jokes.
Speaker 3: Yeah more, And and you know there's a lot.
Speaker 1: Of peepy jokes.
Speaker 4: Yeah, blue collar stuff for sure, absolutely, But those are fun tours too. And the when I went to Iraq was an American tour and it's it's amazing. And and again you're not doing too much time. It's only a twenty minute or thirty minute set. But yeah, those men and women and those you know, they're young and they like to hear drinking stories and stuff like that, so it's more definitely more blue collar, but a riot nonetheless.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and they're probably incredibly appreciative.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, you know, you you spend more time just talking and signing headshots and stuff, even though you know, I'm not a famous comic at all, but still everybody wants to autograph. And you know, you're up there for thirty minutes and after that you're there for three hours after hearing stories and laughing and chatting. So yeah, they really really appreciate it, and so do we. I mean, the people say, oh, how would you ever go to rack? Well, we're never in danger, and I mean we're more appreciative of what they're doing for us than what we're doing for them.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 1: So wait, an, when you said you're signing headshots, you're not doing more circumcision bits.
Speaker 3: Right, everybody gets a little piece of forskin.
Speaker 5: So you yell for yeah, man, well, where's your website?
Speaker 1: How do people check out some of your material?
Speaker 4: Go to www dot paul.
Speaker 1: Me www anymore?
Speaker 4: You're right, Yeah, people are understanding of that, so you.
Speaker 1: Don't even need to type it in. You just know why don't keep telling people this? Okay, go ahead, I'm.
Speaker 4: Sorry Paul Meyerhog dot com and I'm gona spelled the last name.
Speaker 3: It's a weird Norwegian name. So the last name is m y.
Speaker 4: R e h a u G. It's meyer Hoog dot com. And you can also find me Twitter and Facebook on that as well, and and Google if you, however, you spell myyer Hoog. There's only one one last name, so it'll, uh, it'll, it'll eventually point you in the right direction.
Speaker 1: So so like someone types in Paul Meyerhog and Google and you come up number one.
Speaker 3: Yeah, number one.
Speaker 1: Wow, that's a great feeling.
Speaker 3: Huh yeah, it's pretty good. Yeah. It's a strange last name.
Speaker 1: So unfortunately it doesn't say seventy two million results. It just says three. Yeah, three Paul my yeah, we got three Google, Facebook and Twitter. Oh man, well, listen, I am definitely gonna bring you back. This was way too much fun. I'm gonna want to have you on the Golf Smarter podcast again and again because I just love talking comedy and golf, and boy, what better one to do it with.
Speaker 4: Yeah, absolutely, it was a pleasure for Thank you so much. And yeah, I'm glad you saw my face in the bathroom.
Speaker 3: That's really it worked out perfectly.
Speaker 1: That's gonna be a bit