Speaker 1: Welcome to the Big Blue and Cider. Dick Gabriel with you on a Thursday edition of our program, Happy New Year. Hope you enjoyed last night's special edition as we look back on some of the great moments on the UK campus when it came to Wildcats sports and relives some of the calls from Tom Leach and Jeff Bacoro and Jack Gibbons. It was fun of putting that show together. I hope you liked it if you missed it. A lot of play by player highlights and things like that. It is on our where you get your podcast, Apple Spotify, things like that. You can go back and listen to last night show. Tonight's show, it's going to be abbreviated because we have UK women's basketball coming up, Wildcat's open conference play with Mississippi State. Darren Heddrick has the call for you seven o'clock tip off at Historic Memorial Coliseum. Darren's pregame begins at six forty five with coach Kenny Brooks, who coaches in his first SEC game as the UK head man, So stay tuned for that. Coming up a few minutes, we're going to talk to Shawn Woods. We usually talked to the Unforgettable Guard on Wednesdays, but had the special show last night, so Sean's going to join us. We'll get his thoughts on not just the win earlier this week by the Basketball Cats, but that loss up in Madison Square Garden. We haven't talked to Sean since the holidays, so we'll get his thoughts on the game that a lot of people think exposed probably a couple of weaknesses that other teams will look to exploit for the rest of the year, and it's probably fair to say starting with the Florida Gators on Saturday at eleven am. So we'll get Sewan's thoughts on that coming up. I wanted to talk first off about something that is just all over the inner web and now comes the story earlier today, and of course we pre record, and I don't know where this story might be now, but this came out earlier today. Arizona State has reportedly filed a lawsuit against the College Football Playoff. And I'm not sure who exactly you'd serve with papers on that, but ASU denied was denied a crucial targeting call in the Peach Bowl yesterday in that game against Texas and Honestly, I firmly believe that if that call is properly made, Arizona State wins that game in an spectacular come from behind fashion. I mean, early in the game, they're down twenty four to eight, completely outclassed, and it looked like just another example and this was going to be, you know, exhibit A of a team that was seeded and maybe didn't even belong in the playoff. It definitely belonged because it won its conference. But Arizona State, it looked like, was the beneficiary of the bracketing that had been set up well ahead of time, stating these four conferences will get buys. Everybody started to complaining about that after the first round of games. Well, guess what those rules were in place for weeks and weeks, that bracketing formula. So you can't suddenly start whining about that, at least where I'm from, where I'm sitting, you don't start whining about that as soon as the first round games are over. You want to whine about it, whine about it, and I'm sure some people did as soon as the brackets were announced many weeks ago. But at any rate, Arizona State came charging back and quite frankly, if you saw the game, Texas scored on an ASU defensive breakdown, got a long touchdown, and then scored on a punt return. So now it's fourteen to nothing before he had a chance to pop the popcorn. But then it turned into a hell of a game, back and forth, back and forth. Cam scatbow became legendary by carrying the ball, by throwing the ball. Arizona State and a crucial make or break situation fakes a punt and the punter throws to a two hundred and eighty pound defensive tackle who was, you know, supposedly just in the block, and the guy makes a hell of a catch, fingertip catch. So it was a great game back and forth, but on a one particular play where if this play is called properly, Arizona State wins. And it looked like Texas was guilty of targeting a Texas d beck led with a helmet helmet to helmet contact, and I thought, well, this is just a matter of time before they come over and it's going to be an unpopular call with Texas, and it's going to be the right call, you know, if you're Arizona State and they didn't call it. And to me, like I always say, and I am extremely sympathetic to officials because I did it a bit when I was young, and again, my brother's done it for fifty years. Get the easy ones right. The situation was not easy because it would have cost Tech. This is a shot at the national title. But guess what it costs Arizona a shot at the national title. And they like to say, well, we don't want the officials to, you know, decide the game, blah blah. Well you did decide the game. You did by not making the proper call. Obviously, Twitter blew up. Jacob Tammy, the former Kentucky tight end, had a great take on this. He said, the fact that it was not called targeting and exactly why there needs to be a camera in the replay booths and explanations from the replay booth. This game just got altered by a huge decision by nameless, faceless explanationless entity. I don't know if it needs to happen in real time from the booth, but it certainly would help, and especially after the game. And then somebody else whose label is his avatar labels Mark Pope, respector and his addresses at Bring Back Patino, So I don't know where he stands on things, but he tweeted in horse racing we always get am on an explanation from the stewards. No reason college football playoff can't do the same. I agree, like I said, at the very least after the game, it should have been explained and not just this is the call we made and were sticking by it. That's crap. They need to explain it properly, or as many people have tweeted, do away with the rule. Do away with it because if you're not gonna call it and it's so obvious, do away with the rule. No one would complain. It would be a bad decision because I think it's a much needed rule because things have gotten so dangerous. Players are so much bigger, faster, and stronger now and the equipment is so much better now that guys are turning themselves into actual missiles, and you're seeing now what's happening with CTE, and people later in life are developing real problems. But more than one person said get rid of it, and one tweeter said, if that's not targeting because of circumstances and not wanting to call it in the last minute of a playoff game. You cannot have the rule. The rules a rule first quarter in September, fourth quarter of a playoff game, crown of head contact plus defenseless receiver equals targeting. And it marred what was a great, great game. And you know, another officiating issue that I don't understand, and I probably would get a different answer from somebody. You know, for every person I asked, I'd get a different answer. I'm sure whatever happened to uncatchable ball, I was tweeting back and forth or texting, I should say, with Darren Hedrick as we often do the chain gang. Keith Madison was in on it, Doug Flynn popped in Jeff picorrel. But there was a past interference call in one of the games that Darren and I ai I think, disagreed on whether it was interference or not, but we agreed that it was an uncatchable ball. And I loved that rule and that rule created. You didn't see it much at first, and now you almost never see it. But that to me took all the mystery out of a lot of these calls, like the one Darren and I argued about. You know it's up to personal interpretation. I know of a different officials. There are some textbook elements to it, but different refs see things different ways. I get that that's the same in so many different instances in sports. But if a boss twenty feet over the heads of the receiver and the d bag flying out of bounds, it's unketchable. All you got to do is that signal over your head if you're a referen uncatchable ball? Oh okay, now there are Yeah, it was uncatchable because my guy couldn't go for it. No, there are times when it's absolutely obvious when a ball is uncatchable. Bring that back, please? Would you appreciate that? Get back to me on that. Sean Woods is next year on six thirty wlap back to the Big Blue Insider and we say happy New Year to one of our favorite guests. He reaches us every week on The Big Blue Insiders. Jersey hangs in the rafters, A rough, unforgettable guard. Sean Wood's Happy.
Speaker 2: New Year, Coach, Happy knew your Dick, Gabriel.
Speaker 1: I want to ask you, as a coach and a football fan and a guy you know the game a little bit, but you and I were talking for one of the year. You've watched a lot of football through the holidays, and that Texas Arizona State game was literally one for the ages. But so was what appeared to be an obvious miss call definition of the rule targeting. I just went off on it in the last segment, but I'm curious. Now, you coached a different sport, obviously, and play a different sport, but when you were in a I don't know if there's a similar situation in basketball, but that looked like the definition of the rule of targeting and it wasn't called properly. And I don't know if it's because they didn't have the guts to call it down the stretch or whatever, But does that just make your mind go crazy as a coach on the sideline when something that obvious isn't called and you don't get a decent explanation.
Speaker 2: Well, first of all, you know everyone is human, and you can't say that referees don't get caught in the moment. That was a unique situation where the referees in that game got caught in the moment. There was definitely a targeting call, and specifically by the new rule of targeting and you try to minimize it. There is no man is either cutting dry idea, either targeting or it's not. And you know, just make the call. You know. It's like, for instance, I hate to go off on something else, but Jay Billis says something that's relevant. We got too many rules we got you know, we're not We're let television and instant replaying things like that get more involved in human error and human decisions. And now you know, it's like a basketball game, the last two minutes of the longest two minutes of a basketball game, because everything's got to be looked over. Everything, every call is is questioned, you know. And same with this. You know, sometimes in targeting, it's hard to even play football anymore, make a tackle because when you were taught as a kid, you were taught to either lead with your head or make sure. You know, Now you're trying to tell a guy who's coming at another guy one hundred miles an hour to stop and technique. Yes, you know.
Speaker 1: What I'm saying.
Speaker 2: That's hard to do, and and and and now you take natural instincts, which the football it is, is a naturalisting sport, especially when it comes to tackling. You know, you're taking it out and you punish people for it, and which can be a game changing situation. And I thought, Yester, I mean the other day was a game changing situation.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, And you know that's the kind of thing that needs to be altered in practice, with rep after rep after RepU. But that's hard to do. Like you said, when the kid starts playing football in the third or fourth grade. Yeah, and I mean I remember, you know, being taught you know, basically lead with the bridge of your nose, and I was an alignment for a minute, you know, and you didn't have a gash on your nose. You weren't doing it right. So but yeah, billis is right. But on the other hand, as a coach, as a player, you just want them to get it right. And yeah, they were human, but you know what, the video is not human and the video seemed to show So it's frustrating and Arizona State clearly had opportunities to win. But that's one of those rare instances where things turned. I did want to get your thoughts on that, but I need to get your thoughts on the basketball Wildcats. We haven't talked since before the holidays, so let's go back to that Ohio State game, and I guess we shouldn't be surprised if anybody loses in a high profile game like that. But Sean, it was the way Kentucky lost. They just seemed flat and looked like Ohio State took it to him and took them out of everything that they wanted to do. What were you, I know you weren't there, but what were your thoughts as you watched that game unfold?
Speaker 2: I just thought that Ohio State's game plan was better than Kentucky's game play, as simple as that. Yeah, so you know, Mark Pope has been almost flawless. But you know, as you go deeper into the season, you start playing real competitive teams. You know that other team is sitting in their film room and trying to find ways to stop what you're doing. It's made you successful. And I thought that what they did and the schemes they came up with defensively was on point, you know, and it took Kentucky out of all their strengths and it made them do things that they weren't normally you know, aren't normally good at doing, and you know it showed. And then offensively, you know, the point guard, won the point guard battle, and I just thought he dominated the game. And you know, a former Kentucky Wildcat who didn't have a great year, who was highly touted, really showed. You know, the Kentucky people, you know why cow and those coaches were so high on him coming in And he's healthy, now you know what I'm saying. You know, I thought that him and it was unfair for him. Z and what was the other big that left? Yeah, I thought that they were just it was unfortunate for them because all of them were hurt. He got back to Z got you're late and they couldn't play because of NCAA rules. From an academic standpoint, the other two had major foot injuries that they had to sit out for six months. And then they come back and you get thrown into the fire. Well, the base of your game and the base of being an athlete is your legs. Yeah, And how can you have legs when you don't have feet and you know, you can't even jump until two weeks before they throw you in a game, and you're supposed to have base and be able to jump and be spontaneous and things. And the athlete that you are or were at that particular time. It was just tough for them, you know. And now both of them are healthy, z is healthy, and all three of them pretty much, especially the two are are are having decent seasons.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and you go back to the to the Aaron Bradshaw effort against Kentucky. It seemed like every time he got a rebound or a bucket, it was at a crucial time.
Speaker 2: You know what I mean, no doubt about it. And you know, he's an athlete. That's why he was highly tauted coming out and why why he was on the draft board and things like that. And I thought that's probably his best the best game of his college career thus far, all things considered. But you know, you got to give Ohio State credit. You know, they they really had their game plan, uh to a t and it showed. And you know, they forced Kentucky to make some adjustments which they couldn't do, and for whatever reason, it just got out of hand and they they didn't let up off the gas.
Speaker 1: Only got a better minute left in this segment. But what did they do? Did you think we're going to see for the rest of the year when teams attacked Kentucky.
Speaker 2: I don't want people to take just the wrong way. But you know, as this thing goes on, you know people are starting to switch. You know, me as a coach, and I'm scouting them, I'm switching everything, and I'm switching up and I'm not and I'm taking away the threes and I'm making make tough twos. But on the and on the other end, it's I'm limiting you to one shot and then I'm going to push it and spread you out, because especially your second team can't defend as well as your first team. And Butler didn't have a good night, so they just took advantage of it. You know, they spread people, gonna spread Kentucky out. They're gonna make them have to guard one on one. They're gonna challenge how tough they are from a rebounding and toughness standpoint. The two games that they lost, they got beat on the toughness plays and they got taken out of what they like to do, and adjustments wasn't made in those two games, which allowed those two teams to really put it on them.
Speaker 1: Sean Woods is my guest, the unforgettable guard. We'll talk more about Kentucky basketball. The Wildcats have Florida coming up. Southeastern Conference play begins on Saturday. Game you're gonna hear right here back in just a minute on the big booing sider here on six thirty WLAP Welcome back. We're talking with Sean Woods, the unforgettable guard whose jersey hangs in the rafters of rup. Wildcats open conference play against Florida coming up on Saturday, and coach, I don't know how much SEC basketball you've seen in general. I've seen a few other games. Some are saying this is the best conference play in the history of the SEC when it comes to basketball. That's all going to play out. But you know from experience, man, you get in the league play, it's a different kind of ball, Isn't it totally different?
Speaker 2: All that preseason pre conference deals thrown out the window, and now it becomes a slug fest. And now Kentucky's really gonna have to grind. I don't see a lot of scoring of the nineties in the nineties in the SEC. I mean, I think these teams are so good defensively. I think the brutal league physically, and Kentucky's going to have to find a way, especially getting better point guard played coming off the bench, because you know, most teams have several guards that can break you down, especially in the SEC. And that's Kentucky's problem right now. The system is great, but when the other teams scout, your system now becomes to manual manual, and they always say, like like people always say, you can have the best exs and those, but if you don't have Jim and Joe's, you know you're going to struggle. And now it's time for our Jim and Joe's to really play at a higher level than they had to. Especially the two losses. You know, somebody else is going to have to step up. They're gonna have to go against the grain a little bit and really try to make offensive plays from an individual standpoint, because teams are going to make them do that from here and out. And I think Marcus doing a better job. I mean, I hope he is in practice of creating an environment where everyone is confident to go make a play when things break down from their system is concerned per se.
Speaker 1: When you played in conference games, how palpable was it that the other teams were coming at you because you're Kentucky and they just didn't buy the hype they were like, where every bit as good as you are, Maybe I should be in Kentucky proving myself. I know that probably happens in non conference games as well, but I gotta think Sean, it happens more in the SEC games. Am I right about that?
Speaker 2: Well, any conference games, you know what I'm saying, but especially with the SEC. And you've got to remember now, you know, if you there's five teams in the SEC, if you went down from whether their players were raped were ranked, uh, we wouldn't be in the top five. Yeah, and said, they're not looking at Kentucky as the name of Kentucky anymore. They're looking at their players. And a lot of these players seem to think they're better than the players that Kentucky from a from a from a notoriety standpoint, you know what I mean. So there's no mistique coming into rupt saying, uh, you know these guys are good because they were this McDonald all American, that McDonald all American. No, they have the poor McDonald all Americans. And all of these coaches that are in the SEC are a one coaches. So that locker room is a little different. The tone and locker rooms are a little different when they're going against Kentucky more so than years past.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's a great point because this is still the team that a brand new coaching staff had to pull together and build literally from the ground up. You know, this is not, you know, a roster that sparks all kinds of debate about who's going to be a lottery pick. The lottery picks are coming at him right now, aren't they, no doubt about it.
Speaker 2: There's more lottery picks on the other teams, yeah, and the SEC than there is that Kentucky. So you know, no one's scared of them, you know. But there is this system I think is going to be unique. But you know, people starting to find out about it, you know what I'm saying. So you know, I'm sure Mark is going to make some adjustments knowing that, you know, people are starting to figure out their style of play, you know, and now there's no neutral courts. Yep, you know what I'm saying. You gotta go. You got to go into the SEC, into their places, which some of these places are hardest places in the country to play at. Yeah, so, and then they're not scared to come into rut. So you know, it's gonna be a slug fest. It's gonna be you know. The thing is who's going to end up at the top the top five or six schools at the end of the year. And I'm telling you what, right now, I've watched a lot of SEC basketball thus far. I'm gonna tell your team that no one's talking about, and that's Mississippi State.
Speaker 1: I was just looking at them. Yeah, twelve and one.
Speaker 2: You know, Kentucky's only lost two, but there's a lot of teams in the SEC there's only lost two also, or even one.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, there are so many schools. Now, do you know what I'm wondering As a guy who's head coaching career, you were always trying to work your way up from what I guess, with due respect, they're known as the have nots, and you were going into places with you know, the big arenas, and the coaches paid a lot of money. And now that's to your point about facilities and coaches. Finally, administrations are pouring a lot more money into SEC basketball, all because they want to be like Kentucky. You know, how do you feel about that as a basketball professional, as a guy who played at the highest level at the at the top program in the SEC. Finally, the league is really going at it to try to make strides in basketball.
Speaker 2: Parody is very very much what's going on right now, especially in the SEC. You know, SEC as you know, was a football conference. You know, that's what everybody said. Now it's the number one basketball conference. And the football powers are coming to the SEC from the Southwest Conference, which was a unique football conference. Also, you know, the Texas is the Texas A and MS, you know, and they're coming in fully loaded. Oklahall home up. You know, those teams aren't no shabby teams, and those teams have had success from a basketball standpoint even though they were a football school. So it's going to be very very interesting. Uh, there's no dominant team anymore. You know, you got some dragouts, you know, like I don't want to play at Tennessee anywhere home away. I don't want to play Auburn home away. You know, I don't even want to play Texas and m home away. You know. It's just there's no easy win anymore. You know, going to Old Missus, you gotta you gotta go in there and and hopefully get get a win. You know, going to Mississippi State, you know Vanderbilt. I mean, look at them. You know, people counted them out and they've had a successful you know what I mean. So there's nowhere where you could say, okay, that that that's when I know we're gonna win. That every game is going to be a dogfight. And and and what hurts Kentucky is we are Kentucky. So you throw the uniqueness of the talent and how good this league is, and then you bring Kentucky into every environment, which enhances it even more. You know, we're we're the we got the toughest schedule in the SEC just because we are Kentucky.
Speaker 1: That's a great point. Uh, you know what it's like, You've gone out for shoot around a nine and a half before the game, and the fans are already out there heckling right, no.
Speaker 2: Doubt about it, you know, And uh, it's gonna be the experience. I hope these get these guys really relish in it and uh accept the loss, you know what I'm saying, like you have been and just learn from it. You know, it's gonna be tough at the beginning because you got Florida come in here and they're as good as anybody in the league, and there's talented as anybody in the league, and you know, especially one through seven, it's gonna this is gonna be a real test for them. And I just hope that we can really take care of our been at home and then steal a few on the road. That's what you want to do in conference play, and so that that's the test and to go I think markas going into this SEC season, you.
Speaker 1: Know, that's another great point. More than anything, you always want to take care of business at home, try to steal some wins on the road. But this year, maybe more than any in the history of the SEC, is that going to be important. And we're gonna find out starting on Saturday when the Wildcats take on the Florida Gators. And we'll talk with Sean about it next week. We'll probably talk a little football next week as well. Coach, I appreciate your time and enjoy the game.
Speaker 2: We'll dock. Thanks for calling me, and you know, look forward to talking to you again, hopefully the Cats when we do talk. The Cats are at least two and.
Speaker 1: Up, and that'll do it for now. Stay tuned for Kentucky women's basketball coming up. Next, it's the Wildcats and Mississippi State. Darren Hedrick coming up with the pregame show and coach Kenny Brooks, and then the Cats and the Dogs at historic Memorial Coliseum right here on six thirty WLP.