Speaker 1: Okay, we continue on ed.
Speaker 2: Eric Dickerson joins the show, and Eric, good Monday to you.
Speaker 1: Good Monday, Fred, Good Monday. Ridingey, how you doing right on, right on, right on? E D. When do you uh when you headed to New Orleans? Get some of that Ben yet, I'm in Houston. I'm I'm in Houston, Texas right now. Uh the weather's beautiful down in Houston. I'm leaving for New Orleans tomorrow. Uh here know that way. I just got a call a minute ago asked me would I present something at the NFL honors, Uh for I don't know if it's gonna be Player of the Year, So that might be a hint that maybe a sake one Barclets someone may maybe maybe win that honor. Since they asking me to do it, they don't ask me to do nothing, So.
Speaker 3: I was gonna say what you're basically from They never called you for anything.
Speaker 1: Oh man? You know, man, man, they don't come here. I know they don't like me. I'm too I spoken for them. I was smoking for the NFL. You know, I just I tell you they don't like it. Don't like me. Tell the truth. You know, it's like and keeps it too real. Hey, that's what it is. I mean, you got to keep it real. I mean, people know when you line, when you're making stuff up. It's like, that's like if I said, oh, you know what, I think, I'm ready to I'm ready to make a comeback. I can come back. I can run for fifteen hundred and sixty three years old. They'll be like, come on, man, be for real. Now, you sound ridiculous. It's so funny that people do say that.
Speaker 4: Man, the way the game is played today, I could be playing out there right now. I could go out there and play right. I tell you, I tell you.
Speaker 1: I had had a discussion with Richard Dent Hall of Famer Richard Dent and Ricky Jackson, and both of these fellas said, man, I'm telling you watching this game. I'm like, I'm watching. I'm watching the game. Richard said, Man, I can go out and get a sack right now. I say, Richard, you sound like a fool. Man, I say you. I say, them young boys be knocking you right. You know you said old man getting pushed around and say, man, wait that old man like that. That ain't even right. I said that would be your hear But ou sideways and everything else.
Speaker 4: Oh man, because your mind telling you what your body can do. Your mind said, I can get it. Yeah, Oh, I can get that.
Speaker 2: That's right, all right, Eric, What do you think of the Anthony Davis trade and Luca Donti is coming to la And here, before you answer, I say, it made me think about when the Rams traded you to the Colts and dick Enberg said, you can never trade one of the greats. And I remembered that when I heard that that deal had gone through, that Dallas traded one of the greats.
Speaker 1: What do you think, Well, I think be my personal opinion, and I think that Dallas, I mean the Lakers got the better part of that deal. I mean I think that Luca Donna's coming to the Lakers. He's younger. One thing about Anthony Davis and like, I like Anthony Dad. Don't get me wrong, but I'm Charles Barkley said this. He said, they call him street closed Davis, and I'm like, why they kind of street clothes because he always in the street clothes. He always hurt. So I mean, I look at this trade. I mean, he's younger. The only thing about about about Luca Donega is Donic. I say, Donnick or Donnick, you Donnick, donc luk Luka dantech is that he doesn't come in in shape, and it reminds me of almost like the Shaq and Kobe thing when Kobe would push for Shaq to you know, hey, man, come in, you know, come in and be ready. If I think if if he came in and he's twenty five years old, that's a you know, that's a plus. He's he's a he's he's a young player after Davis is thirty one. You know, when you come in in shape, man Fred, I'm telling you, it's it's a great feeling because you know, I'm ready to go right now. And I feel like with the Lakers, you know, with Lebron James and the players they have. I mean, I think he's a big asset. I think he's I think it's a big plus. I think it's I think it's a win for the Lakers. To be honest with you, I don't see why they did it, Dallas did, but hey, they it and I think I think it's a plus for them because I saw say, I saw Charles Barker say this. He said that he when he played with the with the rockets. He said, Mosam alone told him. He said, man, he said, one thing about you is you're fat and you're lazy. And he said, I went home and I cried. I went home and cried. But you know what, sometimes it takes someone like that. And you saw how Charles Barker's career came out. He's an Nbay Hall of Famer. Sometimes it takes someone to tell you the truth, to let you know, hey, this is what you need to do to be there. I mean a lot of these young players, you know, they just there for the money. They you know, they don't want to play all the time. And it's very few guys like I'm gonna say, like a Kobe. Kobe was there every Monday, Tuesday, whatever you played. It's very few guys like that. I think when you talked to sh Shaquille O'Neil, I think Shack regrets, you know, not coming in ready to play at all times. Because one thing is Rightney, you know this as well as I do. We all have a window, that window of opportunity. You can't go back and be twenty five years old anymore. You can't get three years old. Yeah, I think that's the big thing.
Speaker 4: It's twenty five, you know, you know how it is the reason most guys retires that you know, when they get in their thirties or whatever, late thirties, is that that time that you got to train in the off season, all that time you got to spend, and when you get older, you got to you gotta spend extra time training and getting ready for training camp. The games are fun, you want to play the game, but it's getting ready for all of that. And when you're twenty five and they're already talking about you not being in shape and not working hard, that that's kind of can be chronic and unless you unless you, like Edie said, get around somebody that changes your ways and pulls you along like they're hoping. I think Lebron does for Luca and have that guy saying, no, man, come on, don't go out. You know, don't know, we're gonna get on a diet, We're gonna get on a plan. No, we're not hanging out in the club. Now we're gonna go We're gonna up at four o'clock to go work out instead of seven o'clock. I mean, it's it's guys like that that he needs to be around, especially at twenty five. Otherwise you know, by the time he's thirty, he's gonna be a shell of what he is right now.
Speaker 1: You got it. And that's what it takes. Like you said, Lebron, And you know Lebron is what is glove run thirty seven or thirty eight, thirty eight? Fred? You know Hull, he's forty, Man, he's forty Okay, Lebron, Okay, Lebron is forty years old. Lebron does not look like a play like a forty year old, not even close. Lebron thirty one or thirty two, maybe even twenty eight. I mean, so when you get on a team with guys like that, I mean it, it sometimes it changes your mentality. One thing about Ages, I'll never forget it. I was a big Muhammad Ali fan. I mean, I love Muhammad Ali. I just loved him, and I won't forget when I saw him. When it's one of his last fights, I think, I think I can't do it. God, he got beat up really bad by Larry Holmes, Larry Larry, Larry, Larry Holmes, Larry Holmes, Larry Holmes. And and that's when I say, man, he's old. Now, I mean, and you never think about your heroes getting old. I mean, and that's what it comes down to, you know, And and it happens to all of us, you know, age age. It never loses, it's never lost the ball and never will lose the battle. We all get old in that right field. Look that go te You got that great go tea.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I played tickle ball and almost snapped my knee off. But here's here's the thing. You know you talked about Wait wait, wait, wait wait, you almost snap your knee playing fickleball.
Speaker 1: Friend, I don't want to go into that. I don't want to go into it ice and advilt.
Speaker 2: So anyway, uh you mentioned Shaq, and uh, look at you know, if Shaq had taken better care of himself. And I said in the first hour, well maybe this is like a slap in the face to Luca to wake up. You know, when Shaq went to Miami, he did get into shape. That was the wake up call for Shack. He did get the shape because he realized what he had lost.
Speaker 1: Right, he got it, said it. But imagine playing he he wanted to do. That's it, that was I said, that was the motivation. But but but think about he had he had, he had a Kobe, he had a I mean, don't get me wrong, the Miami Heat and the l A Lakers. I mean, who you think is the better organization. I mean, I'm sorry I got to go to l A Lakers. I mean I'm here the Laker. I mean, he brand, I know, I mean he could have what I'm saying, the brand, the brunch about the brand, the brand itself. He could have. He could have sent them since cemented himself as the greatest Lakers center of all times just by doing getting ready to play, not coming in, you know, half assed ready and me I love Shack. I mean, I think Shaq is one of Shack is one of the nicest guys, the greatest guys. But you know, you still, I guarantee you. We all look back sometimes in our career and say, man, I just wish I did that a little different sometimes, you know, cause he said, hey, you know, we get older, you start thinking about right and say, we could have won.
Speaker 4: We could have won five six in a row, you know, if the big fellow would have gone and gotten shape, you know, and they could have stuck together. But that that tension didn't allow him stick together. And you know, I'm sure you know, uh both of them have egos and all that kind of stuff. But yeah, I think that's frustrating sometimes too. You know, Eric, you know, guys, man, if that cat just get get going, man, that catch could be up beat, and they just don't.
Speaker 1: They just don't have it sometimes. Man, I won't forgive when what cly go ahead, Fred, go ahead, or go go well, Clyde Drexler. He told me when Shaq came in the league and tracks played for the Rockets and the chem Olajuwan was was was covering it. He said, Eric, I've never heard a Keem say this. He said, Shaq was down low with him he see and se uh Drek said, man, don't he said, boy, Keim said, don't leave me down here by myself with him. I can't. I can't control him by myself. Now. That goes to show you right there. That tells you how talented Shaq was. When a Keeme to me, a great sense, but he could not handle Shack alone. Uh.
Speaker 2: You know, when the trade came down, everybody said it was done in secrecy, and uh luka Doncha's father complained and said it was secret and Uh, somebody should have known something, maybe the players involved. And Rodney made a point in the first hour and Eric, I'm curious to get your take that this is a situation because in the NBA, the players have the control. I mean, if somebody's going to be traded in the NBA, normally you go to their agent and see if the guy would be interested in going. The agents put deals together. But this was a time where the Mavericks took back control. I said, we are we are in charge here and we're going to make this move. He was eligible for a three hundred and forty five million dollars super Max extension. We're not going to pay that. We're not going to be held hostage, because I read at some point everybody said, well, you know, that's just kind of the way it is. Guys up super max. You give it to him. Guys up Max, you give it to him because now you got them. Whether they're in shape, whether they or not, you just pay them because they're yours. And do you think this was, in some small way an attempt to regain control by the team.
Speaker 1: I'm not saying it's a way to take control by the team. I think it was just a smart deal. I think they looked at this guy and say, hey, you know, we can't depend on him to come in and be the guy that he could possibly be. Now, maybe we get rid of him, he might become that guy, but we can't take a chance on And that's what it is. It's a gamble. I mean, I'm gonna pay you three hundred million dollars and we don't know if you're gonna show up to play basketball. You know you're gonna you you overweight, basically, you're fat, you know, and you're talented. Don't get me wrong, He's very talented. But I don't have a problem with that. I feel like maybe it's maybe this, you know what, this may be a wake up call for him. Just like you said Shaq went to Miami and got in shape. Well, maybe this would be a wake up call for him to say, hey, if I really want to get paid by the Lakers, if I really want to be that guy, and then think about it. It's different from being in LA and being in Dallas, Texas. So it's a big LA is the market. The Lakers are are the team. I mean, you might not like them. They might not even be the best team in basketball, well, when the Lakers do something, it's different in post when the mat when when the Mavericks do something. So for sure, I think this is a way for the Mavericks to say, hey, you know what, we're not willing to put all this money out. If somebody else wants to do it and he turns out to be great, great for him, but we're not willing to do that. And on top of that, they're still getting a very good basketball. Yeah, I mean, think about it. It's an extra hundred million dollars that they would have to pay him. Yeah, they could, they they could pay him so and you know, hopefully that Anthony Davis can go down and stay healthy. But I mean, I'm I think it's a great move for the Mavericks and for the Lakers. For the Mavericks pocketbook, yeah oh yeah.
Speaker 2: Now eventually the Lakers are gonna have to pay him, but by that point in time, if he is what they want him to be, he will be their next star and he will be here for years to come because of his age. I mean, it's it's right in the Laker wheelhouse. This is how they do it. Who's the star? We always have one good one yeah, the next one too. They usually have the next one.
Speaker 4: And sometimes they get an agy one, but they usually get the next one. Like, Okay, Kareem's in his prime. He's still got ten years left. Let's go get him while he still got it and still dominant. They still will They got shack when he's still in his prime, you know. But yeah, they always have that draw, that marquee name that they can put up on the on the marquee and draw people in, and he's the next one.
Speaker 1: I was shocked when I heard it. I mean I was really shocked. Somebody said, what do you think about the Laker trade? I'm like, what Laker trade I for? No? Then i started, I'm like, I'm like, wow, to me, this was this is this is a Doctor Buss move. It really was, I mean, and and to me, Doctor Buss was to me one of the the I think the greatest owner in in NBA basketball because he was that guy. He was he was a player's owner. He tried to do right by his players. He wanted to and he wanted to win. He was he was a winning owner. You know a lot of owners, I don't think they really want to win. It's like an NFL. But I think you have some guys, some owners that you know, this is La. We want stars and we want to win too, because you have to have you have to have a you have to have a big product, and you know, living in Los Angeles.
Speaker 2: Our visit with Erica is presented by Spotlight twenty nine Casino, his favorite spot in the Coachella v Alley. Check out Spotlight twenty nine dot com for the best entertainment or shign up for twenty nine rewards where you play earned points and spend them however you prefer.
Speaker 1: You'll see why Spotlight.
Speaker 2: One Casino is Coachella's best bet. Okay, when we come back, Mike Curtis, Dallas Morning News joins us. He'll give us the inside behind the trade from Dallas bred Rogan or Rodney Pete.
Speaker 3: And Eric Dickerson.
Speaker 1: Today.
Speaker 2: Uh, we're talking about the ad deal. What really went down in Dallas. Let's find out. Let's bring out Mike Curtis of the Dallas Morning News and Mike, thanks for being here.
Speaker 5: Today, Thank you for having me. Thank you all right, let me.
Speaker 2: Give you my initial take. You tell me if I'm right or wrong for the Mavericks to trade a player like Luka Doncic, a transformative player. He really pissed somebody off. Something happened. Otherwise there's no way they even consider trading him.
Speaker 1: So what happened?
Speaker 6: I mean from a couple of people who I've been talking to that I really trust, the Mavericks had concerns when it comes to Luca Chain, how they wanted to commit to him long term. Obviously, he was able for the Supermax this summer, eligible for a three hundred and forty five.
Speaker 5: Million dollar deal.
Speaker 6: There's a lot of commitment when you signed a guide to a contract like that. I know there's a lot of speculation out there about his conditioning.
Speaker 5: He did.
Speaker 6: He arrived in training camp this year in pretty good shape, but once he suffered at calf and injury in training camp, they kind of set everything back. And of course he got injured again on Christmas Day when he suffered a left calf strain that was pretty much non contact. So his unavailable ability definitely played a role in them not wanting to commit.
Speaker 1: Well termed.
Speaker 4: So okay, here's my question, how in the world in twenty five did they keep this thing quiet? How did they keep this thing quiet?
Speaker 1: All this?
Speaker 4: I mean I know Sham's broke it, but man, how do they keep something like this quiet when everybody talks.
Speaker 6: Yeah, that that's a surprising thing about it, because everything leaks nowadays. Rob Polenka and Nico Harrison, they go back all the way. So when Nico is at Nike, obviously they have a pretty close relationship, so they were able to kind of keep things between them. This happened, This was weeks in the making. I think as far as back is when the Lakers were in Dallas in early January. I think those when those are when those conversations start picking up a little bit. So I think one thing led to another and here, here, here we are. Nico Harrison actually told the Dallas Morning News I was on the phone call when it happened that he just slowed the idea out there. What what what if we were to do this and one thing led to another and Luka, Doncic is now and Anthony Davis is now, Maverick and.
Speaker 2: Mike did you get the sense and you mentioned it three hundred and forty five million dollars a lot of money. Did you get the sense they didn't want to pay him or do you get the sense that's just not how they're going to roll anymore, and they don't want to pay anybody that kind of money.
Speaker 5: I didn't get that sense.
Speaker 6: I mean, Nico was asked if he had any inkling or inclination that Doncis wouldn't sign. He said he didn't get anything verbally. But there's also nothing's guaranteed in this league. And just because you put a contract with a lot of money in front of someone's face. I mean, I'm not the best person at math, but I would probably go with the larger number over what I can get with a different team.
Speaker 5: But there's no guarantee.
Speaker 6: That Doncis was going to sign the super Max this summer. And I think that he pretty much said, we got it in front of like what would probably be a tumultuous summer with just the uncertainty that comes along with waiting on a guy to make a choice. So I think they wanted to get in front of that before it became a bigger problem.
Speaker 4: You mentioned that, you know, he came in in pretty good shape and then he had the injury and it just kind of then it set him back and he went back to you know, Luca kind of doing this thing and and you know the reputation that he has of not really being intense about his workout. And I listened to the press company Nica said, you know, defense wins championships when guys committed to that. And obviously Lucas is it is a tremendous offensive player, but certainly lacking the effort on defense. Was that something that they said for press conference reasons or is it more to it that they didn't feel like he was gonna make the commitment to be the superstar or the face of the franchise going forward in terms of being available, being in shape, being all those things.
Speaker 6: I mean, the defensive end is a topic of discussion when whenever it comes to luc Doncic. Believe it or not, he was actually having his best defensive season of his career this year, which is saying a lot. So there are times when when he definitely commits to that end of the floor. Whenever he's not as interactive as he used to be with the referees. I think that's another thing to watch out for the kind of constant nit picking and complaining.
Speaker 5: But when he is locked in and dialed in on.
Speaker 6: That end, like he's a big body he's six seven, and he's able to stay in front for the most part. He had a really good playoff, sorry postseason run where he was playing defense. But there are there are those nights, especially earlier this season, when they let a guy blow right by him. So I think that that definitely played a factor as well. And then you add a guy like Anthony Davis who's all NBA and all defenses, especially for the last few years. I think that's gonna change the trajectory of Dallas thinks now.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it probably will. Accept You know, he's his injury prone as don't Fred not the last couple of years. Fred, No, but he corner. No, he's missing, he's missing. He turned the corner though, Fred, he has he's turned the corner, which is fair, but he does get dinged up.
Speaker 6: Mike, Yeah, yeah, And and Miko is also asked about that his latest abdominal strain. He said it wasn't it wasn't a big concern. They didn't think it was going to be anything long term. I think he's supposed to get reevaluated sometime this week. I think the Lakers said that he was initially going to be out for a week, So we'll see whenever he's able to be on the floor.
Speaker 5: But that's going to be the whole key to this thing.
Speaker 6: You make a move like that, your your best players are now Kyrie Irving, Anthony Davis, and if Klay Thompson can kind of get back to what he's been known for in the past, they got a good chance to do something special.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's what he's gonna ask.
Speaker 4: Do you think part of it too was Look, they look at it that the defense is a big part of it and we're trying to win this thing now. You think that had something to do with it in trading Luca and given the fact that Luca, you know, hurt the cap a little bit, you know, twice this season and defense was not as strong suit.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I think they're looking at this window. Whenever we talked to Nico over the past year, he's talked about a timeline and he talked about certain guys being on the same timeline.
Speaker 5: Like the next two three years.
Speaker 6: I think that's why Clay was able to sign a three year deal. So they're looking at this window that they have right now with this corps to try to compete for championships or be in that mix. Every year for the next three or four years, and I think this move definitely does it, just depending on health. But when it comes to you never know what's gonna happen on a given night. A guy can get hurt. Kyrie has been out I think ten games, well last think last night eleven and we'll see if he continues to miss time with that right shoulder soreness. But yeah, in order for this thing to actually work, they're gonna have to be healthy, all.
Speaker 1: Right, Mike.
Speaker 2: So it was a guy that's with them all the time and covers him every day. And after you get off over the shock of what happened, if you can take a step back and look at it, do you think this trade right now and for the next year or two makes the Mavericks better.
Speaker 6: Whenever you take a generational talent out of a lineup, that's pretty hard to say you got better with everything that I guess the Mavericks.
Speaker 5: Were concerned about Luca. There's a ton of good that he brings to the floor as well, his shot making.
Speaker 6: Ability, his ability to get his teammates involved his gravity that he attracts on a night and basis the guy like Luca made Klay Thompson's night easy every night.
Speaker 5: I don't think.
Speaker 6: I think there was a quote earlier said he's never been as open as he was when.
Speaker 5: Luca was on the floor.
Speaker 6: So whenever you take away a guy like that, that that's definitely gonna hurt that this team is going to have to find a way to build chemistry quick. But right now, I think, right now I would say the Lakers want to deal.
Speaker 4: Uh okay, So now Luca comes to La and listen, no disrespect to the Dallas Mavericks, but the Lakers are in your town like the Cowboys, right where everything is about the Cowboys and the focuses on the Cowboys and the Lakers. Here in La, the focal point is the Lakers more than any other team, maybe other than the Dodgers. The Dodgers, you know, run the city basically along with the Lakers. But the scrutiny is going to be ten times what it was in Dallas, and I know it was. It was intense in Dallas, but it's going to be even more here in La. Can he handle the La market?
Speaker 6: I think we're gonna wait and find that out. He's gonna have his press conference for the first time tomorrow morning. That's gonna be the first real test that I'm gonna be watching to see how he handles the market at LA, because, like you mentioned, it's a different beast, it's a different animal. You got the New York's of the world, you got the Las of the world.
Speaker 5: I think this is.
Speaker 6: Gonna be the real test because he's gonna be face with those hard questions on the nightly basis he was also he was he was faced with that in Dallas, obviously, but there's a lot more national media in LA, and I think tomorrow is gonna be the first opportunity we get to see how he handles it.
Speaker 3: Hey, Mike, great stuff.
Speaker 2: Thanks for coming on and you know, filling us in on the feeling there and what we might look forward to here.
Speaker 1: So we appreciate it.
Speaker 5: Yeah, no problem, guys, Thanks for having me.
Speaker 2: All right, Thank you appreciated, Mike. And by the way, that news conference will be nine a m. Tomorrow morning, and you're good pal here at a five seven.
Speaker 4: Ain't gonna carry it live because that's the kind of guys we are, Rodney, that's what we do. Fred, come on, now we have step in. Fred gonna show you running. I mean you are a member of the media. You will be a member of the media. You will listen into the news conference.
Speaker 3: Will you have a question?
Speaker 2: You will not be allowed to ask because you will not be there, but you can yell it out loud and maybe somebody will ask it while they're they're.
Speaker 4: Going I might show up with my credential. You might go on down Yeah, I might go on down there. Check him out, See what's what?
Speaker 1: Check out Why I shouldn't check out that cab not to see how long he's gonna take this away? You get back.
Speaker 3: You want to do a live report. I want to do live report.
Speaker 1: Now we do remote? Why not you think we should have tomorrow?
Speaker 4: I'll go back to nineteen eighty seven, Fred Rogan everywhere everywhere remote in the day, the locker room on the court, in the locker room on the court, and kicked out of gym's and getting kicked out of stadium.
Speaker 1: Fred out of Super Bowls.
Speaker 4: Yeah, going into the wrong locker room when you're not supposed to and no credential. You was You was just like a honoery Fred. You were just You're just bad. You're like a bad kid. I told you the way that always went the places you weren't supposed to go.
Speaker 1: Well, yeah, I.
Speaker 3: Told you the way to do it, and anybody that wants to try this you'll see it.
Speaker 2: A play dumb, yeah, play dumb, look very unassuming and act completely confused.
Speaker 1: You all three. It was not a stretch for you, was it. No? I mean That's why I've lived my life, So that was fine. Hey, Ding, you know that ain'tnna work. That ain't gonna work for us though, Rodney, No, no, no, no, sir. Put your hand behind your back. What are you doing here? Sir? What are you doing? Who are you with? I don't want to hear it? Uh? Fred told me to come in. I'm with Fred Rogan. You know Fred?
Speaker 2: You know Fred, you sort of have to have like a glazed look like you're confused and.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 2: I've used this so many times. Do you actually think I would try to sneak in here? Do you think I'd be here if I didn't have to? I always said, do you really?
Speaker 1: Oh?
Speaker 2: You think I'm trying? Do you think i'd be here really if I didn't have to? I just got lost, Freddie, it's the super Bowl. I don't care. You think i'd actually show up?
Speaker 1: For this.
Speaker 2: If I didn't have to and I got lost, I'm sorry. I always say that. Yeah, I got a point there, sir, you got a point there. I guess you wouldn't really want to be here if you didn't have.
Speaker 3: To, Okay, Game seven of the World Series.
Speaker 2: I I didn't know. I mean, I want to get some popcorn. How did I know I'd be standing in the clubhouse. That guy down there told me to make a laugh.
Speaker 1: I did. Oh, shockingly, that worked for you, Fred more time than not. We should go to game plan all the time. Yeah, all the.
Speaker 2: Time, and and you know, and just walking around in life. If there's a line, I don't know how it happens because I'm the first one to say go ahead of me. But because I'm just so lost half the time, I just end up in the front of the line. I have no idea why. I just kind of wander around and stop and now I'm there.
Speaker 1: You just you always had a dumb look on your face for it. Yeah, you have to help me.
Speaker 3: I don't know anything. Where should I stand? Can I stand here?
Speaker 1: Oh? Man? Yeah, I'm always that's not a stretch for you, hun Freddy.
Speaker 3: No, Hey, it's the way I've lived my life all right, Let's see, it's.
Speaker 1: Where we raise. Our families are living and enjoy life.
Speaker 2: But when disaster strikes, it takes all of us to come together to rebuild and make it home again. You're selling California Ford Dealers and helping first responders with donations and support to the LA Fire Department in California community wild fire recovery, as well as feeding America any American Red Cross. If your vehicle was damaged by the recent Los Angeles area fires, your so cal Ford Dealers are offering you employee pricing plus no payments for one hundred and twenty days. Because this is our home too. It takes all of us to turn heartache into hope, rebuild and make it home again. La Strong built Ford proud.
Speaker 1: So here's the deal.
Speaker 2: If you're a referee or an umpire, you should not bet on the game. If you're a referee or an umpire, you probably really shouldn't associate with anyone who bets. And if you do, you get what we'll tell you about next.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, Ford NFL Spotlight Rodney Pete, Fred Rogan, Hall of Famer Eric Dickinson On a Monday a Blockbuster Trade Monday. Come on, Freddy, all right, So he told you the story of umpire Pat Hoberg, and he's been in the majors, an accomplished umpire, and all of a sudden they pulled the plug out him and said he'd been gambling.
Speaker 2: They've been gambling. Well that we know, asked him, Donahey of the NBA. That's not going to work. There's no gambling if you're a player, and there's certainly no gambling if you're an official. So anyway, they said you're done. He appealed, and then they brought in a third party to investigate. And here's what the third party found. Hulbert did not bet on baseball. He's an umpire. But what he did do was he did share information with a poker player who is a gambler and a buddy of his. So he didn't bet, and they're not even suggesting he told the guy anything that would alter the games. So the umpire did not alter the outcome of the game. And they found that in the investigation.
Speaker 1: Wait did that?
Speaker 4: What information did he share with his poker is he said itself a poker player, Yeah, a buddy, a poker player, a guy the buddy that's.
Speaker 1: A poker player. Player. It must be a professional poker player or something like that.
Speaker 2: Not only does he play poker, wait, not only does he play poker, but this guy does bet on baseball. He was accused of sharing betting accounts with a friend who bet on baseball. There is no direct proof that he bet himself, but it's been determined that he had access to the account which made bets on baseball, which led to his firing, and they met playing Wait.
Speaker 1: Wait, wait the umpire. What's the guy's name? Pat Holberg? Pat Hobert, Pat.
Speaker 4: Holbert had access to the gambling account or the betting account of his friend.
Speaker 1: M h. Okay, then that's that's a diff story. But but but but really okay, but he didn't bet, he didn't bet. He didn't bet. He didn't he didn't bet on the games. He didn't. So so the information he gave him, it didn't change the games. I mean, it wasn't like like like he said, Okay, well I know that they said so, and so it's going to pitch tonight. But he has a bombed shoulder, so they may have him as a pitcher, but he's not going to pitch that kind of information. I mean, that's that could be that that's game changing now, But was it that kind of information or what? Yeah?
Speaker 4: What was shared an account? A gambling account? No, I know that what information on the game did he give his friend? It doesn't but he would.
Speaker 1: So did did he? Is he fired in a company or as you're coming back.
Speaker 4: The question of him propriety and you're done. Here's the thing though, if well, the smoking gun is that they shared an account of betting account, that's the problem because if the guy, because we all know people and we don't always know what they do behind closed doors. So if you're talking to your buddy, you're out having a beer or whatever, and he's like, yeah, yeah, I got this game tomorrow night and so and so was supposed to start, but then he's hurting. They said, he may be out, or he's got information in the show or whatever. You may say to your buddy. You don't know he has a uh betting account or he bets on baseball. You may just havingim, you know, having a conversation. But the fact that he has a shared account with him, I think that was probably the big red flag or share betting account.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, yeah, Oh, that's different. That's different. That's different. Yeah, I mean, but you know, like, all right, the NFL guys bet on city you're playing football. You say you bet on a baseball game, that's the league in the NFL. That makes no sense to me. But you don't bet on football. I mean, but you can get suspended for that. I mean, do you tell me, does that is that true? Baseball on other sports? Can't? Uh huh no, if im, I understand you can't. Let's just let's let's say you bet. Let's say you beten on you say you out for the season, and you bet not on your team, you bet on another team. I'm betting. I don't hate like the cowboyd you can't. Sure, you can't do football. But but but but this issue is that, for instance, what does that guy to I don't, I'm I don't. I'm just betting. But I get it.
Speaker 4: But yeah, but you're you're involved, like you're an employee of that of the league. So it looks as if you got inserted information.
Speaker 1: But you can't bet.
Speaker 4: Like baseball players they got these you know, they all got fantasy sports and they got all got you know, betting on on on football.
Speaker 1: And and all that kind of stuff. It's a big deal. A lot of baseball players bet on football games. I believe. I didn't know. I don't think. I don't think. I don't think football you can bet on anything. You can't bet on anything. It's a game. It said, gambling. That's that's that covers everything. Well, I mean you can you can go to Vegas. Yeah, you can go to horse racing. You can bet on horses. You've all done that.
Speaker 4: A lot of people, A lot of guys have horses that that have been in the league that race horses. I mean, it was the guy I played with, Dig Delone, Dick Delon had quarter horses. He raced them in derbys all over the country, and his family would would they would all bet on those horses and stuff. But but yeah, and you know, they tell you to be careful when you go to Vegas, but they can't stop you from going to the Vegas and betting, not on football.
Speaker 1: But you can bet and gamble.
Speaker 4: So I don't know what how they can stop you from. You know, if you're in one sport betting on the other, is it that difficult not to bet?
Speaker 1: What do you mean?
Speaker 2: In other words, if you're an athlete. To to remove any question of impropriety, you just don't bet when you're an athlete. When you're done, do all the betting you want.
Speaker 1: I mean on sports.
Speaker 4: But gambling is a big part of downtime and support because everybody plays cards.
Speaker 1: You gamble when you play cards, and you do all that stuff.
Speaker 4: A lot of guys go to Vegas. We're going to go on to Vegas for years and and betting on everything. But but betting on your sport, Yeah, that's a whole different animals.
Speaker 1: On sports period, go to Vegas.
Speaker 4: Sure, yeah, horse racing, separating that from cricket and soccer and you know, baseball. Maybe if you're if you're a football player.
Speaker 2: That what I'm saying is, if you're a football player during the term of your career, can you with withhold betting on the NBA and Major League bad I'm just asking, is that even humanly possible or.
Speaker 4: If you need to bet, you need to bet. No, it's humanly possible unless you're an addict. You know, unless you're addicted to gambling, then you know, it may be very difficult for you to stop it. But yeah, you know, if it's you know, if you know in your in your contract, and then everything every place you walk in has got an NFL logo on it says gambling is illegal. Youve got big signs say gambling is illegal.
Speaker 1: Do not.
Speaker 4: You cannot bet on on uh on on. It says bet on football, but it says bet on. I forget what the specific specific language is, but I don't know if you can't. You can't bet like on other sports.
Speaker 1: I don't.
Speaker 4: I don't know if that's I don't know what rule that's or falls under, but I do know that the gambling part of it on on your sport is absolutely prohibited, even if you're not playing in the game. If you're betting and you're hurt or you're out, you're betting on the Cowboys and the Giants and.
Speaker 1: You you play for the Eagles, No, you can't do that.
Speaker 2: Ford NFL Spotlight presented by Spotlight twenty nine, Casino, Eric's favorite spot in the Coachella Valley. Check out Spotlight twenty nine dot com for the best entertainment, or sign up for twenty nine Rewards where you play, earn points and spend.
Speaker 3: Them however you prefer.
Speaker 2: You'll see why Spotlight twenty nine Casino is Coachella's best bet, all right, when we come back, Dan Wiki, Laker insider joins us. We heard from Mike Curtis of the Dallas Morning News what happened in Dallas with Luka doncis now, what does it mean with the Lakers getting him?
Speaker 1: And Danill joined us next