Speaker 1: Rickard.
Speaker 2: It's a trim just watch him as many.
Speaker 3: Birth things sor.
Speaker 4: Sun good Sunday morning. Hey, welcome to garden Line. We have a lot of gardening types of things to talk about today, including your questions. By the way, you would like to ask a question seven one three two one two K t R. H. Should be happy to visit with you and help you have a more bountiful garden and a beautiful landscape. That's what we're here for. And uh, I've got a few things I'd like to visit about this morning. Definitely, this is the season for the turf to wake up and take off running boy. This week a little rainstorm coming in tonight, but the Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday are gonna be perfect weather for all of our warm seas and plants to take off and grow. Our Turf's gonna wait, it's gonna be a huge difference in the way your long looks between now today and the way to look on let's say about Thursday. For sure, we got some rain coming out at the end of the week on Thursday and Friday, and then as far as it looks now, a good weekend next weekend too, which that's always important. Good Sunday weekends. That's that makes it nice. But Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, oh my goodness, I'm gonna spend a lot of that time out in my yard and h it's because I've got some catching up to do. There's an old saying that the Copplers kids go barefoot. I told somebody that the other day, and they, you know, kind of were thinking, well, that may mean somehow they're connecting to the soil, you know, walking barefoot, connecting to the earth, that kind of thing. No, that's not it means. What it means is that the guy who makes the shoes, he don't have time to make shoes for his own family kids are going barefoot. Well, when it comes to horticulture, sometimes that's true too. And you know, yesterday I was out had a really good time at the Home and Garden show at the Berry Center. That was Cipher Home and Garden Show. That was a great time. Thanks for everybody that came out for that. Good to visit with you and meet some of the listeners. Anyway, I was running around doing that and other things like that. The horticultural endeavors I'm up to. So bottom line is, yeah, come home and It's like it's a good thing that radio is not a visual medium. People could see me standing in the slawn right now, they might just turn off the radio do something else now. Seriously, it's not that bad. But I do have some clean enough to do. Our lawns have a lot of dead material in them, and just like an ornamental grass in your flower bed, if you cut it back at the end of winter, when you cut that grass back, the fresh new growth comes out. I was looking at some neighborhoods were in the Copper Field area of Houston yesterday since I was in that area, and just notice they'd cut all the grasses back in this esplanade. Oh man, they look good, fresh growth already coming out. Do you have to cut a grass back? No, Nature doesn't cut a grass back. Nature occasionally sends a thunderstorm and lightning strike causes a fire that burns across the prairie and burns all the dead material back and it comes out looking good again. But no, nature doesn't cut the grass back, but it would look better if it did, and so will your ornamental clumps of grasses. And the same is true with your lawn. You don't have to scalp back or cut back in the spring, but it looks better get all that old, dead material out of there. And we had a good hard freezer two this year that really burned my grass. My lawn just turned tan real quick with the fryback of the freeze. It's all coming back out green again. It's time for me to clean that up. But don't throw that away. It's good material, good for your garden, good for your flower bed. You can mix it into the soil, those clippings and things, let them decompose a little bit and then plant, or you can just use them like I do, as either a maulch on top of the soil or walkway material. When there's not so much of the clippings, I just recycle them back into the lawn. But I'm about to have a lot of organic material trimmed back from all the dead and then the new what's now become new living green grass coming up. Getting all that trimmed out, it's going to create a lot probably too much to mulch back. And my mower doesn't do as good a job at mulching as I wish it did. I'm looking into switching a blade out, and they even have another more that I'm starting to use that I think is going to do a better job at that. But recycling is the way nature does it. It just is the way nobody rakes the forest or bags the meadow. Nobody rakes the forest or bags the meadow. Nature recycles naturally, and you can too at your yard, and we should. It's a good way to go. Now, when do we not come clippings two times? One when it's rained and rained and rained in its summertime and the grass is growing fast, and for two weeks you can't get out there and mow, you're gonna have a hayfield on your hands. So yeah, go ahead and gather those clippings, but do something with them in your landscape. The second time is like right now, I'm driving past some lawns yesterday that I wouldn't even sure there was grass there. It was just solid weeds, solid weeds, and those weeds have gone to seed our cool season weeds are blooming and setting seeds, And so that first mowing would be a good one to capture and at least get some of those seeds from the weeds out of your lawn. That would make a lot of sense. So that's a time when I would do that kind of a capturing of the clippings, if you will. Other than that, just more regularly with a good sharp more blade and recycle them back in. Now it's with it warming up a little bit, we are looking at starting our longer term of slow release fertilization schedule, and you'll see that on my schedule. Starts in April. On my schedule. You know, when I do the schedule, I kind of have to create one calendar, and I got people in Galveston reading it, and I have people in Huntspill reading it. So do you see the problem there? There's a variation, So if you want to, if you're down further south, you can begin to do the slow releases anytime you want. Now, I'm still my first fertilization is still going to be a faster release, just to give a quick boost and get it going. But nine to five Superturf is their silver bag that is a slow release, and I've got some on hand that will be used this year as we warm up and the grass begins to grow, because you're going to get four months out of it, four months of feeding. That's good for two reasons. Number One, you fertilize once and you've done it, you don't worry about it keeps speeding it up. And then when you return the clippings, you're just recycling those materials and it's even better. But the other thing about it is when you put a dump of high nitrate all at once on your lawn, you get a growth response of fast top growth, which means you got to mow more. And then you also get the effect of shorter root growth. Excessive nitrogen applications cause top growth to be greater than the development of the root growth. And when we go into summer and droughts and grubs two and on roots and all the other issues grass deals with, we don't want that. We would like a nice balanced grass plant and nitrobus superturf can provide you that by giving that gradual feed. Again, it's a silver bag. You're going to find nitavass products and plants and things, and Branham m D Clear Lake in a Onmbay, a Bay Area boulevard, and then in Sagemont MD Beamer will also carry those products. We're hitting up against a quick break here. I'll be right back and if you'd like to give me a call. Seven one three two one two Ktrh. Alrighty Maria, who remembers the Wonders, or, as one of the band members called them, the o Neiders. It's a good movie. Tom Hanks wrote the music for it too. That is amazing to me. I mean, you think you've gone back to nineteen fifty listening to the soundtrack. It was really, really, really creative on his part. Hey, you're listening to garden Line, not a music show. Although we do throw some music in here and there, we'll get weird today a couple of times, so hang on, don't go far. We'll throw We'll expand your musical palette, or at least make an attempt to. Now you made debate whether it's expanded in ways that you care to be expanded, But I don't know. We'll work that out. Hey, you're listening to garden Line. I'm your host, Skip Richter, and we're here to help you have success in what you're doing in your garden. Feel free to give me a call. Seven one three two one two. Katie r. H. And Cheney Forest is one of those garden centers that is a destination. And you know, and I don't use that term lightly. I mean if I would see a day going out and visiting antenna for ust, walking through, seeing the plants, seeing just all the displays and things that they have to me, that is just like going to the park. And actually it's better than going to the park because I get to bring stuff home. They have an outstanding selection right now of vegetables and herbs and annual flowers and perennial flowers and ornamental grasses and shrubs and trees and roses and you name it. By the way, now would be a good time to grab a blooming tree to add to the landscape, maybe something like a Chinese fringe tree. They carry those out there. Chinese French my favorite spring blooming tree, and it just is it's beautiful. It doesn't grow too big. So our modern city lots, you know, you can't. We still have the room we used to have back in the day where a city lot was a third of an acre or half an acre, and now it's not. Now you can reach out your window enclosure, neighbors blinds, the houses are so close together. So a tree like China, these friends are really good one and they carry that out there. Of course they have everything else that you can imagine, beautiful pottery containers, a wonderful gift shop, nice house, plant selection, and chanet Forest is. If you were in Richmond heading towards sugar Land up fifty nine, it's off to the right on FM twenty seven fifty nine FM twenty seven to fifty nine. But write down this email excuse me website and check it out because you Their website is awesome. There's a lot of great information on there, and you need to stay, you know, up to date on what's going because you're going to want to go out there. There are lots of good events throughout the spring as well. Hey, the website is enchanted Forest Richmond, TX dot com. Enchanted Forest, Richmond, TX dot com. I need to get back at This's been a few weeks since I've been out there and just need to go back out and see what's going on. You know. I love I love our garden centers because if you if you go out to one and then two or three weeks later you go out again, it's different. There's a whole new group of plants, the seasons are evolving, and then all of a sudden, here comes some real beautiful hibiscus because it's warming up or some other kind of transition like that. It makes it nice. I am a garden tourist, by the way, I am. I'm a horticultural tourist. Maybe we need to open up a horticulture tourism bureau here in Houston. That'd be a good thing for the council to do. Horticulture tourism bureau. People come to Houston and they can go to the arboretum, you know, bodanical gardens, and go to different awesome garden centers that we have here and other things like that. Speaking of a good stop on the trip would be Southwest Fertilizer. Southwest Fertilizer is the place you go to get everything you need to have success with your garden with vegetables, herbs, fruit flowers, fruit trees, vines, fruit bushes, lawns. Of course it's lawn season, so if you're looking for fertilizers. They have every type, every type in the world, Nitrophoss and turf Star from Nelson and Microlife and Southwest own Premium Gold that's our own fifteen five times slow release. They carry it all right there and they also have a use It's usually available on hand a soil probe and you can check that out and go home and take a soil sample and send it in. So it's real nice and handy to be able to take the probe home, do the sample, and bring it back to them, and then you send it in and then you know exactly what your sol situation is and what you need to do about it. They're entering their seventieth year and they've been around since nineteen fifty five. That is amazing. But the reason they've been around is because when you walk in there, you walk out with whatever you need. If they don't have it, you don't need it. I've never been in there that I was looking for something that is important to have in the gardening world that wasn't At Southwest Fertilizer corner of Bissonett and Renwick. You walk in, you're going to get friendly service. You know you're going to get quality products and an awesome selection. And they can help you too with that old fashioned service of helping you diagnose something. Bring them a weed, bring them a picture, bring them whatever of a sick plant, and they will point you at the product that will solve that problem. I love going in there in fact, I'm gonna be there later this year, me next month, the next month, I'm gonna make an appearance out there at Southwest Fertilizer. Let's see where are we here? I get to talking, I lose complete track of time. Now we've got some time left. I'll just give you the number again if you'd like to call seven one three two one two k t r H seven one three two one two k t r H. The folks at Nelson produce quality fertilizers. It's as simple as that, you know. They have different lines of fertilizer. They have Nutristar, Nature Star, They've got the turf Star, turf Stars, the one for weeds and for lawns. For example, there's Bruce's Brew, which is a quick green up for your lawn, but it also some forms of nitrogen in it release more gradually also, so you end up with getting a more spread out, more even feed as a result. It's an excellent product, very good. The ratio is perfect for our area lawns now. They have the Weedinator, which has a broadly weed control in it, but you got to wet the grass and put it down on wet weeds. Not an inch of water on them. I'm talking about just enough to wet the surface. So if we got a rain coming, you know, don't put it out for a range. It's going to wash it right off. When you wet the weeds, put it down. It sticks to the weeds, and give it a day or two and some of that material is going to go in and kill the weed. And then the watering or irrigation then washes the fertilizer down in the soil. So it's just another one to do. But I'm telling you you need an hot delay. If you're doing that, a lot of the weeds you're going to seed, and as that happens, even if you kill a weed, the seed's still there, and so you kind of missed a window to avoid being sentenced to another spring of weeds next year from all the seed that this year's weeds produced. So get out there and get that done. Nelson Plant Food products or quality they work. I use them myself just the other day using some of the Rose Rose blend that's part of the nutri Star line. You know, the nutri Stars all the specific vegetable or some fruit and flowers. You know, there's a plumeria from Nutristar there's a rose from mutra Star, there's a vegetable from fruit and from nutri Star. So those are all canisters that are available at garden centers near you. The forks don't forget when when we provide our plants with boosts of nutrients, they have the energy to take off and grow well. They have they have the the things that are needed to create new plant parts. It's it's like you're giving them all the pieces and parts and then the sunshines on the leaves and it puts it all together and the plant grows like crazy happy. But a lot of times we kind of starve our plants by not providing them the nutrients that they need. So just something to think about a lot of ways we can provide that good material for the plants to thrive. Plants for all seasons is the garden center that's up there on Tumball Parkway. That's Highway two forty nine goes to Tumball. If you're going north, you just exit Luetta and it's right there on to forty nine. Plants for all seed minorans is nineteen seventy three. The flowery family has been there since. I guess the way I put it yesterday was since FM two forty nine was a goat trail. Basically, some of you remember the days as Houston has grown outward and outward and outward over the years. So they know what they're doing. They've gardened here, they've helped people with gardens here. They know what plants grow. That's what they sell, plants that grow here. They know how to advise you, and they don't mind taking time to help you. Do you have a problem, you want to bring it in a sample or a picture, they'll take time to help you.
Speaker 1: Do you do you?
Speaker 4: You know, Skip was talking about how great containers are and we don't use them enough. I want a container, but I don't know how to do it. Well, they've got the containers, of course, gorgeous ones, but they have all the plants and they'll actually say, well, these three would go well together in a container. Or you know, they'll they'll guide you because they want you to have success. That's how it works there Plants for all seasons dot Com two eight, one, three, seven, six, sixteen forty six. We're going to head out now to Conroe and talk to Vicky. Hey, Vicky, welcome to garden Line.
Speaker 5: Thank you skip.
Speaker 6: I was given a pot of panstance spoony and they're beautiful.
Speaker 7: But now they've stopped.
Speaker 8: What can I do with them?
Speaker 6: Can I plant them? And do I cut off the stock with the schedules?
Speaker 4: Did you say hyacinth?
Speaker 8: I did?
Speaker 4: Okay, Hyacinths here are kind of what we call a one shot wonder. They're like tulips. You can get a bulb, it'll bloom, but just due to our climate and things, they don't tend to repeat and come back year after year. Now you may get lucky. You could put the thing out in the ground. After the blooms, it's going to have its foliage and it needs that to replenish its stored reserves to have a shot at reblooming next year. But in general they're not one of the dependable bulbs that we can just go year after year with in the landscape. So main thing is, if you're going to try, get it in the ground, give it every chance it can to get good sunlight on the leaves and replenish its reserves so that it can bloom again.
Speaker 8: Okay, all right, blue, there you go.
Speaker 4: There you go. It's always worth a try. That's fun. That's fun. Thank you, Vicky, appreciate that call. You take care. Let's see here where we Yeah, I can take another call. We're going to go to Northwest Houston now and talk to Paula. Paula, welcome to Gardenline.
Speaker 9: Thank you.
Speaker 10: When you repot plants, especially once in large containers.
Speaker 8: What do you do with the old soil?
Speaker 4: You can keep using it. There's not a need to get rid of the old soil. What happens over time is yeah, yeah, I mean, well, if a plant died of a disease, then if it was a soil borne disease, I would Yeah, that's different. But in general, the potting soil over time decomposes away and it gets it gets smaller, it shrinks. That's why you know a pot that was full last year maybe half full by the end of this year. Uh. And so what we do is we add new potting soil to it, freshen it up, to bring up the levels and everything. You can do that, but you don't have to get rid of the old soil. It doesn't go bad. It just does what nature does, and that's decompose and continue that so good for soil that drains well is important. Sometimes potting soil over two or three or four years decomposes to the point of being very kind of fine textured and mucky. It stays too wet, it doesn't have the airspace in it that we would like to do. So that's why bringing in some fresh soil to repot it and bring it back up to the level you want.
Speaker 11: Good, great, thank you, all.
Speaker 4: Right, thank you, appreciate your car.
Speaker 1: Bye bye.
Speaker 4: We you know, we there's a lot of myths out there in gardening, a lot where people are you know, they say something and usually it's half true or based on truth, but then it crosses a line where it just becomes untrue. And the idea of having to you got to replace your putting soil all the time, No, you don't. You don't have to do that. You know, there's reasons when you would, and I mentioned diseases of the roots and things that would be a good reason to do that. But you don't have to have to do that. But we always need fresh because Roy for replenishing it, making it better. I'm gonna take a little break here if you'd like to call and get on the board to be ready to go first when we come back. Seven one, three, two, one two ktr h. Oh, Yeah, happy music for Sunday morning. Hey, welcome back to the guard Line. Good to have you with us. If you would like to give me a call and talk gardening. Seven one three two one two ktr H seven one three two and two ktr h. Boy, the the garden centers are just bursting with color right now. I've been getting around visiting as many as I can, and I'm telling you they it is beautiful out there. Like I said yesterday morning, grab take take two fingers from your right hand, put them against the wrist of your left hand. And if you don't, if you don't, if you're not excited about gardening right now, you probably can't even feel a pulse. That means you you can't. I want to have that checked because it is the time to be excited about gardening. So many good things to do.
Speaker 6: Uh.
Speaker 4: I'm gonna be guess where I'm going to be next next year. Next weekend on the twenty ninth, Saturday, the twenty ninth, I'll be at Siena Maltz. They are having a shindig, an official shindig out there at Siena Maltz, and I'll be out there be a bunch of different reps from different companies out there as well. But Sienna is the place you go for everything you need to create a foundation for success. It's south of Houston. It's down well. It's on FM five twenty one, but you can go to the website Sienna Maltz dot com. It's kind of near Highway six and two eighty eight that region, Ciana Maltz dot com. They're open Monday through Saturday, seven thirty to five. Excuse me, Monday through Friday seven thirty to five, Saturday seven thirty to two and closed today. Closed on Sundays. I'll be back open in the morning again. You can get the compost, the bed mixes, the mulches that go on top of the ground. Everything you need is there. You can get the nutrients that you need for microlife from Nelson's, from Medina, from nitrofoss from azamite, and soils from airloom soil. Also, by the way, it is a one stop shop for success. And next Saturday, I'll be there again from one to three pm. From one to three pm for their big Shindig event in the spring. So you need to come out and see us. Come out with an empty pickup or a trailer if you got one, so you can pick up some stuff and go home with it. They've got things by the bag, they have things by the book. They deliver within about twenty miles of their location for a delivery fee, of course, and I would recommend that you go check them out because the most important thing you can do to have success is to prepare the soul before you plan. That is the single most important thing that you can do before you plan. So see Namolt that's the place you need to go. And next Saturday would be a good time one to three. I'll be out there. Of course the event will be going on. I believe longer than that. I need to pull that up that they're going to have other things going on around there. They always have a good time. I always have a good time when I go there to see Nmos in the yard. If you have not put in a pre emergent and you're wanting to, now's the time to get it done. You know, in on my schedule online at gardening with Skip dot com. My schedules that are up there. There's each month, you know, January February March Aple mailed way to December, and there's bars that say we'll do this now, and do this now, and I will sometimes get a question that says, well, I missed it, then can I do it now? Yes, just go ahead and get it done. But when we miss the timing, we lose the full effect. So barricade from nitroposs. It prevents weed seeds from coming up, both grassyweeds and broadleaf weeds. Someone asked me yesterday at the Cipher Home Show, you know what about crabgrass. How do you get rid of crabgrass? Well, barricade. You put barricade down and you prevent crabgrass from ever getting started. So the longer you wait, the more weeds have already germinated. And you kind of missed the boat on those. But there's still weeds that will germinate that you can prevent. But timing is a important That's why we have the schedules out there. Barricade comes in a ten pound bag that'll cover five thousand square feet because you're not using very much of it. And what you do is you put it out, you watered in, it goes into the soil surface. It forms a barricade, and when a weed seed tries to send a root down and get going. It says no, you're not, and it stops it right there, and you're going to find barricade. Like other Nitrofos products in many places, Fisher's Hardware and Baytown Lake Hardware done include and Lake Hardware and Angleton as well. If you are in the Tomball area, D and D Feed we'll carry the barricade as well, and as does plants for all seasons as you head up north on two forty nine. Another good product from Nitrofoss Timing Timing Timing. I've been contemplating putting something together just to talk about weed control, and the more I talk to people at these appearances and just calls on guardline and emails and things, and having been a County Extension Horticultures for thirty five years, I kind of heard a lot of questions on weeds over the years, and I just realized there's a lot of confusion out there. People maybe they half hear something, or they take what they hear about one situation and apply it to another, which doesn't always work that way. I know that's being kind of cryptic to put it that way, but my point is that a lot of people don't understand weeds. I put a post on to Instagram and Facebook a couple of weeks ago, and it was about the difference between pre emergent and post emergent, just the simple difference between those two. But there's other things that are helpful to know, Like there's cool season weeds and warm season weeds, and so then there's the products that are just the weed control and the products that have weed control with fertilizer in them, and each one of those deserves its own little spot to explain it. How does it work, when do you have to do it? Does it work? You know, that'd be another question to add, does it work even at all? And how to have success with them? And so we just need to kind of take all those things apart to understand. I go over it here on the air, But when it comes to the bottom line, if I were to take it down to the ABC on weeds, it's that in the spring, starting in early spring, the warm season weeds begin to germinate from seed, and the perennial weeds come to begin to emerge from the soil from the plant themselves. They're perennials. The plant lives here after year and so a perennial weed would be something like dichondra for example, or a dollar weed would be another example of a perennial weed. So while they can come from seed, you've if you've got if you had the weed last year, you're gonna have a weed this year because it's a perennial. But then the others germinate from seed.
Speaker 8: So what do you do.
Speaker 4: Well, on a weed that's coming from seed, you can prevent it with a pre emergent. That's one thing you can do. If you get the pre emergent down in time. On a weed that's already existing, you would then need to use a post emergent. When it shows its face, you spray something on it that would kill it. But the bottom line on all weed control is good lawn care. If you don't take care of your lawn, and if nature has its way ravaging your lawn, then you're going to have weed problems. You will open up spaces in the thinning lawn for sunlight to hit the soil and weeds will proliferate. And I don't think the way to have a lawn is to spend your January to February just constantly killing weeds with pre emergents and post emergents and pre emergents and post ama where you're just doing that's your weed control. That is what we do when we've done all we can, but we also know that weeds are still going to be there to some degree. But the first goal you should have, and I know I'm drowning on here, first goal you should have is how do I get how do I get that lawn so thick that most weeds can't get enough sunlight to sprout or they get choked out by my lawn. That's why I have the lawn care schedule. And if you do that, then you go to the schedule on how do I kill a weed? Okay, and you can use that, but if you only use how can I kill a weed, you're just on a treadmill and it's constantly going to be one thing and another and you're not going to ever be really happy with the lawn. So those products have a place and they can work, but it got to begin with good, healthy, dense lawn that takes the majority of your issues out of the picture and you deal with the exceptions. And that's kind of what we want to go after. I hope that makes sense, at least it does for me. Buchanan's Garden Center it actually Buchanan's Native Plants is on Eleventh Street in the Heights, and at Buchanans there's always something exciting going on.
Speaker 5: You know.
Speaker 4: They specialize in natives, and some awesome natives are out there. They've got the tangerine beauty variety of crossbine right now. Oh, it is so gorgeous. Across Mine's a native plant in this region. A Mexican buckeye is a native Texas plant that's blooming at this time of the year. You know what, Buchanans, You're always going to find really cool plants that do very very well here. That's what they specialize in. How how do you have success by planting things that belong here? That's what you're going to get at Buchanans. Lots of selection. Go to Buchanansplants dot com. That's the website. Sign up for the newsletter. Very important to receive that newsletter because of all the information that's in it. Buchanans Native Plants on Eleventh Street and the Heights. I'm going to take a break and I will be back with your call. Seven one three two one two ktr h. Alrighty, welcome back to Garden Line. That's that's kind of strange, Like we got a stereo with one side plan. That's the Beatles, by the way, you remember the Beatles. All right, Well, you're listening to the Garden Line and we're here to help you have a gardening success story to tell this spring. That that's kind of how I'd like to look at it, you know, I'd like to hear a story that goes like this, I went and got some great plants. I put them in the ground. Oh my places never looked better and it was fun. I enjoyed it in the process. That's what we'd like to see happen. You know, Nature's way resources is set up for that exact same result, because the way nature handles things is nature puts organic matter in the soil, decomposes it, and creates the best stuff in the world for plants to thrive. And that's what happens at Nature's Way. They take materials and they turn them into the perfect soils. I don't care what you're going to grow, whether it's fruit, trees, or vegetables or flowers or whatever. You're trying to do. Maybe it's a mulch on top of the ground, a double shredded mulch, or some other particular type of mulch that you want to use. You're going to find it at Nature's Way and they make quality mixes like the rose soil and the vegetable growing soils and the fruit tree growing soils. They also have that super high quality leaf mold compost that you can use for compost top dressing. By the way, the fungal based compost is also good for that, and they have a Fungal Friday every Friday. The fungal based composts are on sale. You can buy a bag for ten percent off, or you can get bulk for twenty percent off, which is really a good deal. High quality organic products which is what they make at Nature's Way Resources. They also have a two acre nursery, in fact, I believe it's a little bigger than that now. The fruit trees and native plants and houseplints and vegetables, and really excellent selection of natives for this area too. The bottom line is you got to go buy there and check it out. Now they can deliver you can go pick it up at Nature's way there on the way to Conro up Interstate forty five, right where fourteen eighty eight comes in from Magnoia. You turn right instead of turning left to go to Magnolia. This is for those of you going north on forty five and you cross over the tracks and you're there. Nature's Way Resources and Oh if you want to get them a call nine three six two seven three twelve hundred nine three six two seven three twelve, or go check out their new website. It's really cool. Nature's Way Resources dot com. Nature's Way Resources dot com. Our number here on garden Line if you'd like to give me a call and talk gardening is seven one three two one two ktr H seven one three two one two kt r H. As I revamp my lawn this week, one of the things I'm gonna do once I get all the all the old deb material out of there, kind of get it freshed up and ready to take off, grow in and fill back in with the green, I'm gonna put out some sweet and green sweet green from Nitrovas. Sweet green is eleven percent nitrogen fertilizer, natural fertilizer that is high in carbon, so it really stimulates microbial activity because it's a molasses based product.
Speaker 8: Uh.
Speaker 4: And it smells great too. By the way, I kind of jokingly say that it smells so good that you'll want to make an extra trip around six' ten on the way. Home, well maybe it doesn't smell that. Good anything smells, Good but, seriously, though it is a wonderfully fresh smelling fertilizer that you'll. Enjoy and it. Works it absolutely does. Work you put it, down it dissolves, away goes into the. Soil my crubs get involved in the, process and next thing you, know you've got a very green lawn that Is Sweet green From. Nitrofoss you can get it At Court hardware And. Stafford you can get it At Katie Ace hardware out On pinoak And. Katie you can get it At plants For All seasons Off luetta right there ON fm two forty Nine Timeball parkway And Luetta plants For All. Seasons all kinds of places you can get quality Night fosh products like This Sweet. Green we're going to go now out To ethel in a Viter, Hey, ethel welcome To.
Speaker 12: Gardline good.
Speaker 13: MORNING i have a question regarding a replant or planning a magno, you the white magno. You we've lost, One oh my, goodness probably sixty years old due to the heat and the. Frost my sister gifted me with one. YESTERDAY i want to say it's probably in a ten gallon, pot maybe. Bigger when we plant, THAT i ASSUME i was going to use the nitro. Falls we have the jungle land that we use on all of our. PLANTS i was going to use the nitro. Falls is there a what is the number of, uh you, know the numbers in the niper falls that would be safe to plant that?
Speaker 4: With, well first of, all, well first of, ALL i wouldn't use the jungle land for the. Magnolia that's good for containers and. Things. UH i would just dig the dig the it's going to have to live in the soil that you, have and SO i wouldn't amend the soil in the hole for the. MAGNOIA i would dig the hole only as deep as that root cylinder that's in the. Pot so don't if you dig it deeper and put soil back in the bottom of the, hole it'll settle and it'll end up being too too. Shallow and you want the topmost root to be very close to the soil, line the topmost root on that plant in the, pot and then bring the soil back in around. It if when you take it out of the, container lay it over and slide it out and look for a circling root going. Around and if you see, that you need to just take your snippers and cut those, roots because circling roots get bigger and the trunk gets, bigger and eight ten years down the, line you have problems if you don't cut those circling. Roots so go ahead and cut those and then put it in the ground and watered in really. GOOD i would get some medina has to grow plant food and it is a six twelve six is the numbers on. It it's a. Liquid mix it in water in a watering, can and water that thing in when you plant it very. Well then do it again a week, later and a third time a week after, that and that will give that root system the best chance of getting well established. Quickly diena hash to grow six twelve. Six go ahead and do that. One and water is really. Good, okay now as it begins to. Grow once we get into the, season and you know we're six eight weeks or so in after, planting then you can begin to use a fertilizer like you could use a nitrofass turf type fertilizer if you want. To if you mentioned, nitrophiles a turf type fertilizer would be just fine and moderate. Amounts look at how big the trunk is and give it a cup of nitrophas fertilizer per inch of trunk diameter and sprinkle it all around the. Tree don't dump it at the. Bottom sprinkle it about a two to four foot circle around that young tree two to four feet out from the, trunk excuse, me and watered in real good and that'll give it a shot and it'll have and then after that it's mulching and keeping the soul.
Speaker 13: Moist, okay, okay very. Good so you said turn it over when we go to it in the hold and then cut those.
Speaker 4: Roots, well some people will grab the trunk and kind of like pull it up to get it out of the. Pot number. One that's hard to. Do BUT i like to lay it, over kind of bump the pot with your hand and it'll slide right. Out and that way you can examine the roots and any that you see going around that hit the side of that container and are circling around. It go ahead and cut those out, there and within two weeks of planting, it there will already be fresh new roots coming from the cut ends that you, cut and it'll establish.
Speaker 13: Better oh, okay, okay, well thank you so, much and we hope to get it planted this.
Speaker 4: Week all, right good. Luck hope you do get it done and very soon enjoy, it you, Bet thank, You take care our phone number seven one three two one two kt R h seven one three two one two k t R. H The arbigate up In tombal is one of those garden centers where you just you need to leave yourself time because you were going to see a ton of really cool stuff. There arburgate is always stocked with every kind of, plant. SUCCULENT i was there with my wife buying some succulents the other. Day, beautiful beautiful. Plants do you need vegetables and herbs and you know that whole nine yards of course they have, that the flowers and vines and the deciduous. Magnolias we were talking about those the other. Day The jain and Other arborgate carries those and their selection roses outstanding it's just the place to. Go it is west Of tumbul on two forty, nine just a mile and a half west Of. Tombull while you're, there remember brown stuff and green. Stuff when you pick up your green, stuff the pretty flowers and vegetables and, plants pick up a bag of organic food, complete a bag of organic soil, complete and a bag of organic composts. Complete those three together creat the foundation for success at The. Arborgate, remember the new parking lot is in, backs so you go Around Trischel road park in the back Of. Arborgate that is easy safe access and it is the best thing and best new development That i've seen there and in a. While it is really, nice very. Nice glad they did. That it's time for me to take a little. BREAK i want to remind you that Next, Saturday i'm gonna be At siennamultch down south Of, Houston, Sienna texas Uh Sena maltch from one to. Three i'll be there to meet, you answer your gardening. Questions we're gonna have a good. Time they put on quite a shindig down, there so come on. Down welcome To casey R. H Garden line with Skip rictor.
Speaker 3: It's just watch him as so many things to see.
Speaker 4: Sad welcome back To Garden, line, Folks welcome. Back how's it looking? Outside the? Dark outside is how it. LOOKS i, say, hey if you see your neighbor and the lights aren't, on go bang on the door and tell them they're Missing Guarden. Line they will be so thankful for you to do, that or maybe not this, morning but they will be thankful eventually they start. Listening we try to increase our listenership as in any way, possible including having you take your life in your hands going around and banging on your neighbor's door at this hour of the. Morning all, Right welcome. Back nitrofis has its super turf on the market out there in the, stores ready to. Go it is stocked up EVERYWHERE i. Go i'm seeing it night. Five superturf's a silver bag nineteen four to. Ten it will feed four four months in a gradual. Way and that is what you want for your. Lawn and for those of you who your lawns are waking up and they're going, good go for it. Now if you did a spring green, up you know on the schedule there is an optional spring green up where you use a fast release fertilizer a little bit earlier in the. Season if you did, that wait about six weeks before you put out the super turf or the slower feed fertilizers that are on the. Market superturf works very. Well it's designed for our soil and for our, grass our grass as we here in The, south we typically our, lawns or most of them Are Saint. Augustine there are quite a Few bermuda and quite a Few zois lawns as. Well it zis ought to BE i think a higher percentage than it. Is but, anyway those are the big three nighte to. Five superturfs designed for all those works very well for all of. Those you're going to find superturf At Plantation Ace hardware out there in The Richmond rosenberg. Area you're going to find it At Bearings hardware On bisinet as well as one On West. Teimer and you're going to find it at products like that At Fisher's. Hardware and there's Several Fishers. Hardware you, know there's one In, pasadena and there's one At, laporte one In, bellevue among other. Places all places where nitrofoss products are for. Sold Super turf is like the banner product for the summertime in that big silver. Bag, easy easy to pick out from across the. Store makes it. Easy so what are we going to talk about this? Morning, well you tell me seven one three two one TWO. Ktrh seven one three two one two KTR. H, well we'll talk about the topics that most interest. YOU i want to encourage you that if there's any pruning that needs to get, done go ahead and get it done. ASAP a lot of our trees are starting to push bud now and move. Out here's the issue that happens when the trees begin to grow and we, print the bark begins to. Slip we say, slip meaning if you were to grab cut a branch off like three fourths of the way and then it falls down and you pulled on, it it'd be like peeling a. Banana the bark just peels right off the. Wood that's a big wound and not a good, thing so be extra careful with. THAT i did a video on how to make a three point cut On it's On facebook and it's On instagram and you can. Look i'm talking about there very, important especially now to do a three point cut and avoid stripping that bark. Off so get your pruning. Done it's still located to. It we can prune twelve months out of the year. Here, okay there's times that are better than, others but you know it's better to go ahead and get it. Done the fastest time of healing is in the. Spring so if you were looking at one of those time laps, videos you know how you watch a cactus blossom opening close in like five seconds and it took hours to do. That, well if you saw that on a pruning, wound what you would see is the pruning cut is, made and then as we get into, spring it starts to close over pretty, fast and then as we get into summer it slows a whole lot, down and then as we get into fall it speeds up a little, bit not as fast as, spring and then in winter it stops, again and that's kind of the cycle of the year of pruning cut. Closure sometime we use the term, healing it's really not. Healing it's callousing and closing over what it amounts. To so the sooner you get that printing, done the more you can take advantage of this early callous formation that happens at the fastest time of the year here in the, spring and SO i would recommend you to do that if you're looking for any kind of product for making your outdoor space. BETTER Ace hardware is the. Place Ace Hardware texas dot. Com Ace Hardware texas dot. Com that's the. Website WHILE i was at The Berry center, YESTERDAY i was visiting with the folks From Langham CREEK ace that's right there On Barker, cypress just south of The Berry, center and we were talking about some of The traeger barbecue pits and things that they. Have they got just a great selection of outdoor outdoor. Pits and when you go to An acehardware across our, area and AGAIN Ace Hardware texas dot, com don't forget, that put That texas in. There that's all our LOCAL Ace hardware group THAT i talk about all the. Time they have barbecue. Pits of, course they have all the things you need to go with the, barbecue you all the accessories and. Things but maybe you're just wanting to sit out and enjoy the weather and have a string of lights in the early, evening you, know as summer heats, up you're gonna need those lights because you're gonna want to be out there in the evening time more so than in the heat of the. Day well they can set you up for. THAT Ace hardware has the fertilizers That i'm talking, about just got to you talking about, nitrofis super, turf silver. Back they've got. That they have the organic and synthetic products for controlling, pest, weeds, diseases you name, it and for fertilizing your. LAWN ace is the. Place and of course when it comes TO, ace if you haven't been in one in a, while you've got to go see the New Ace. Hardware this is not your grandfather's hardware. Store now you get the service like you did at your grandfather's hardware, store and they, have you, know the plumbing and the electrical and all this stuff a hardware store should. Have but it is so much more every ash hardware. STORE i promise you. This if you haven't been in one in a good, while you walk in and you're gonna say about ten, TIMES i didn't know they carried that in. HERE i didn't know you could get home furnishings like that in. HERE i didn't, know and you just fill in the. Blank that's a. Hardware all, Right we're going to run out to a Test sita and talk To. Cheryl, Hey, Cheryl welcome to Guarden.
Speaker 6: Line, hi good.
Speaker 10: MORNING i just had a quick. QUESTION i bought a couple of outside plants AND i bought one hanging basket Of boston fern and it was doing.
Speaker 6: Good but it has now white.
Speaker 8: All over it and so little white. Spots it's some type of insects AND i don't know what to put.
Speaker 4: On, okay it might be a mealy bug kind of sounds like. That you might try getting a product that is a systemic insecticide and just putting putting in the water and drenching it in the pot according to the. Label but the ingredient you're looking, For i'm going to give you the long name and Then i'm going to tell you the short thing to look. For it's in mido, cloprid in mido. Clopred if you find an ingredient that starts WITH i am id in mid, though that's the one that's. Systemic it goes up in the plant and when the mealy bugs or aphids or white flies or scale or any insect like that sucks on a plant that has had a metocloape put in its, roots it gets a poison out of the top of the, plant and that would be the way to. Go, okay do you have Any there's so many of them out. There, yeah every every manufacturer has their own brand of. It all, right, Thanks. CYRIL i appreciate that. Call, Pamela you're going to be first up when we come. Back i'll be right. Back alrighty, folks we're. Back welcome back to the garden. Line good have you with. US Rcw nurseries is the garden center that's there Where Tomball parkway two forty nine comes into Bout Way eight's real easy access for everybuddy Around. Houston it opened up nineteen seventy nine by The williamson family who's still run, it AND rcw is it's just people around that region they know that. Nursery they know they can go there and get quality grown trees of the right species and. Varieties they know they can get. Roses all the rosarians know ABOUT rcw and their selection they have of. Roses right, now boogainvillias are just lighting the place. Up, beautiful beautiful as are all the perennials and shrubs and other things that they. HAVE Rcw nurseri is going to have fruit. Plants they're going to have shade trees for your lawning that are or your landscape that are of all, sizes little small ones that you can, plant and then large ones that they'll come out and plant for. YOU Rcw nursery is a place to go to get your. Trees it is the, place really and it's again on the corner Of highway two forty nine and about wait. Eight it's open at the public and of Course monday Through friday And monday Through. Saturday it's, open excuse, Me monday Through. Sunday let me try that, Again monday Through saturday eight to five On sunday today ten am to five. Pm so you can go by today and get your plant this. Afternoon and this selection is outstanding right, now it really. Is it's really. Beautiful just go see the big and villas of and then the roses there and they are really blooming starting to bust out with blooms really really, well so it makes it nice to pick out the ones you like. Best let's head up To. Kingwood now we're going to go To pamela and see how we can Help.
Speaker 14: Pamela hi, THERE i just love listening to your.
Speaker 4: Show, well thank.
Speaker 8: YOU i have.
Speaker 14: Questions, Well i've been listening for a long time When burrows And zach were.
Speaker 4: On, okay And, mike oh, wow you have BEEN i.
Speaker 14: Know, Yeah and my dad used to, say you can get a tree to grow ten times it's normal, rate And i'm sure that came From burrows And. Zach, ANYWAY i.
Speaker 7: Am you talked about.
Speaker 14: Water crystals yesterday. DAY i did a little research And i've got. Some, ACTUALLY i hate to tell you this coming this, morning and CAN'T i. WORRY i worry about putting tons of mulch or you, know mulch down makes it harder for the plants to get the.
Speaker 4: Water.
Speaker 14: Okay Uh So i'm THINKING i have got the when cast iron plant across the whole.
Speaker 7: Backyard.
Speaker 14: And THEN i have the azaleas that some of them lost their shade because Of burrel and the tree coming. Down CAN i do AND i do the bit about your.
Speaker 8: Thing about the leaves leaves go in the flower.
Speaker 14: Beds, Okay so then CAN i.
Speaker 7: Put some water crystals in?
Speaker 14: There and then a soaker hose and then the, mulch SO i don't need the water very.
Speaker 4: Much, YEAH i would, Say, pamela save the water crystals for potting soils and. Containers that is where it's going to be most effective for. You when you put organic matter and, compost and when you molt and let it decompose and the soil just gets more and more. Compost that in and of itself does a great job of holding. Moisture and when you've got that drip hose out, there the soaker and you're able to water as, needed you're going to take care of things like. That but those crystals are primarily used in our potting mixes. Indoor you can put them outdoors, too but you just mix them in at whatever rate it says on the in the instructions as you get. Them so you can buy crystal, separate or you can buy them like in the jungle and already has the crystals in. It the indoor jungle already has the crystals in.
Speaker 14: It, well, YEAH i don't have any indoor. Plants it's all outdoor AND i only garden buy. Pots nothing goes in the. Cot there's too many three roots out.
Speaker 4: There, well then put the. Crystals, yeah put it in those pots in the pot soil that's. Outdoors that's.
Speaker 14: Fine, yeah and what it should reduce it by about fifty. Percent from What i'm, Understanding.
Speaker 2: It.
Speaker 4: Depends it depends on a lot of. Things the size of the particles of the potting. Soil it tells how much water the potting soil can. Hold and some potting soils hold a, lot and some it just drains right through and it doesn't hold as. Much but you, KNOW i wouldn't estimate what, percent BUT i can tell you that it'll hold on that water a little, longer and it'll make it like if we forget or it gets too hot and it dries out, faster it helps.
Speaker 7: A little, bit, okay and then the medina has to.
Speaker 14: Grow somebody a couple of weeks ago said something about found to a five gallon purchased a five gallon bottle of. It you wouldn't have to know where they got the five gallon, one because he said that it was like paying for, four so you got one gallon. Free so if you use medina a, lot and that's a great. Value Remember i'm a homemacked, Teacher.
Speaker 4: OKAY i like to say money all, Right, well do you know What medina. Sells they're out they're out in, uh you, know out in The hondo direction west To San, antonio and they selled a lot of, farmers and so they do have bulk quantities of things that they. SELL i would recommend going to the website medinaag dot com and uh and find out. There you're going to find more information on. It there you might talk to let's say you're In, kingwood so you're pretty far from southwest. Fertilizer bob carries a lot of different. Things he might be able to order it in a bigger quantity for you if you wanted to do a five gallon or something like. That but you just got to ask them h and they'll.
Speaker 1: Be able to tell.
Speaker 14: You my front, CARD i only HAVE i have a f what of an, acre of which only have seven hundred and fifty square feet of grass the rest. Rock it's stunningly. Gorgeous If i'm out, front people stop and tell.
Speaker 7: Me how gorgeous it.
Speaker 14: Is and my lawn is so soft in the, ground and it's got.
Speaker 9: To be from The medina the.
Speaker 15: HUMATES i go to.
Speaker 14: My neighbors homes across the, street they don't do anything and their art is a.
Speaker 4: Rock all, right well it sounds like you're doing you're doing things, right so there you.
Speaker 7: Go, okay thank.
Speaker 4: You, Here, Hey, pem, Yeah. Pam i'm gonna have to, run but keep doing what you're doing because it sounds like you're doing it. Right that's good and good luck with That. MEDINA i know you're gonna be able to find.
Speaker 7: It.
Speaker 14: Okay i'm starting at a garden club where people come and have cocktails.
Speaker 4: AND i teach, them oh, wow oh. Wow well there you. Go all, right you take, Care thank, you. Bim. Yeah medina products are. Excellent the has To go six twelve six is the ONE i did the video on the other day that talks about how you do a transplant and, basically Hast grow six twelve six has the, nitrogen phosphorus and potassium that middle. Numbers phosphorus important for roots twelve percent on the on the phosphorus on that. Product but it also Has medina soil activator in. It it's got humic acid humate humic acid to improve the soil, structure improve nutrient. Uptake it's got seaweed. Extracts it's it's. GOOD i, mean you can use it for foliar. Application you're not gonna you're not gonna burn with. IT a lot of ways you can use. It i'm just right now we're talking about, planting spring. Planting so you get. It you water your plants in at, planting do it again a week, later do it again a week, later and those three applications about a week or two. Apart that will give you the best start for those new roots getting established, fast which is. Important and you're gonna Find medina products. EVERYWHERE i mean they. Are they. Are every TIME i go, SOMEPLACE i Got medina products. There not hard to find at. All it really really does. Work someone who's asking me about the three sixty tree stabilizer yesterday and what is? That AND i know when you hear that name three sixty, tree it's like what is your brain. Picturing, basically it's a bar that attaches to a post and attaches to a. Tree they have a little fitting where you can make it attached to a t post very. Securely the part that attaches to the tree is a strap that is soft and allows some, movement a little, movement and that is. Important from our muscles to a tree Trunk it gets stronger when you stretch, it when you test, it when you you, know bend it a little. BIT i mean you're working, it and that is. True you don't want a tree to be tied perfectly stiff still to a. Stake you want to allow a little bit of. Movement and tree stabilizer diser's designed to do just. That you're going to find them AT Rcw. Nursery i've just talked ABOUT rcw Second ago Or Hey Hidden gardens done and out Then Ciena malts done In siena WHERE i will be Next saturday from one to. Three buchanus naeded plants in the Heights arborgate up In. Timault those are all places where you can get the three sixty tree. Stabilizer it's, fast it's, easy it saves. Time you don't have to put steaks in the ground and wires to trip over and cut up a garden hose to go through the wire so you don't cut into the tree when you stake the tree. Down one tree stabilizers generally all you. Need with for some applications you can put a second one on to provide even more multidirectional support as the wind. Blows three Sixty tree stabilizer a good. Product it really does. Work so we were talking about OUR i was talking about things that we're doing right. Now the pruning of trees is. Important to go ahead and get that. Done any pruning you need to, do make sure you use sharp. Punters when you finish with your, priunting you need to clean your printers. Up you, know sap and moisture and things cause causes them to, rust and so clean them up a little. Bit get a wire brush and some oil and just kind of scrape off any rust that might be. There clean them down real, good and leave a good coating of oil on them when you put them, away and that way next year they'll be ready to. Go, now when you're, pruning here's a. Tip when you're. Pruning if you're pruning a plant that is likely to be a disease issue going, On, okay if you're pruning that kind of, plant what you're going to want to do is you're going to want to sterilize the pruners in between. Cuts in between, Cuts so WHAT i will. Do sometimes people say use ten percent bleach. Water, well you can do, that but bleach water really pits metal and increases. Rusting so if you use bleach, water you're going to need to rent them off real good and then oil them very well right away when you're done do. That some people will use rubbing. Alcohol did a little pint bottle of rubbing. Alcohol they'll cut the top off and just dip the pruners in there as they go. AROUND i think the easiest thing to do is to have a low can of something Like life salt that kills, germs and when you make a printing, cut just spray that printer with life, start just real, quick one little pump on both sides to coat. It and that, way if it was bacteria like fireblight or, something you're not going to carry it on the printers to make the next wound where you introduce the disease over. There so that's the way you can do. It, also when you have a series of, plants always do the plant that is diseased. Last and that's true in soil. Too someone was asking me about nematodes the other. Day they had nematodes in one of their garden, beds AND i, said we'll work all the other garden beds with a rototailer or a spading fork and do that bed last so you don't spread the nematodes to the other. Beds and then get your spading for, it get your, rototailer wash it off really, good get all the soil clinging to it off so you don't spread the nematodes. Around, so whether it's a printing cut or whether it's nematods in the, soil that sanitary, procedure that process is very. Important, hopefully hopefully that that makes sense and that helps out west Of, houston your garden, center your go to garden center Is Nelson Water. Gardens Nelson Water gardens is In. Katie you head out To katie On ien turn north On Katie Fort Ben road and it's just a little bit up the street there on the right hand. Side and when you're At Nelson nursery And Water, gardens you're going to find every kind of plant you can. Imagine right, now they've gotten in some beautiful water. Lilies oh they're gorgeous tropical water. Lilies they have the. Fish of course they're go in. Upond do you want a disappearing? Fountain first of, all the birds will love you and you will love it when you sit outside and listen to the sound of that falling. Water but what about. Plants they have the best selection of plants that YOU'RE i, Mean i'm very impressed every TIME i go. There they've gotten in a bunch of. Boogainvillias, recently some really exciting new types of petunias have come. In they are loaded up on landscape. COLOR i got some of the tropical milk weeds in the EARLIER i was talking about the tangerine beauty Crossbind they've got those in there as. Well. Uh and then when you're looking for the, fertilizers the brown stuff, supplement, right we take care of the soil, first then plant the. Plant they've got a lot of, products a wide variety of soils and, fertilizers Including nelson's Color star and Other nelson fertilizers. There it's not the Same, nelson by the, Way Nelson Water gardens And Nelson Plant food are not the. Same nelson got the same name, though but they do carry those kind of fertilizers as. Well go To Nelson watergardens dot Com Nelson watergardens dot. Com all, right how many of you knew that the beach boys sing about. VEGETABLES i realized that's not their, happiest bumpiest song we, got but, HEY i was. Impressed they're. Vegetables all, right you're listening to garden line number seven one three two one two KT r eight seven to one three two one two K. T, actually you know what we need to find and some kind of an upbeat band around here in The Greater houston area and come up with some gardening music and create a whole new genre here where we got some cool upbeat gardening. Music we just need a willing band to pick it up and try it. Out who, knows maybe that'll be the next big, thing, right the next genre On. Spotify all, Right, well you're listening to garden line seven one three two one TWO. Ktrh we're here to answer your gardening. Question so feel free to give me a call and we will see what we can do to help you have a more bountiful garden and a more beautiful. Landscape one way you do that is by adding container. Color container color is underutilized in our. Landscapes, NOW i know some people go container, crazy AND i mean in the Place jos looks like they're selling. CONTAINERS i mean every square it's got a container on. It, well that's. Fine if you had to water that very, often you're kind of, going, yeah this wasn't such a good. Idea but you can put drip irrigation into little spaghetti tubes go up in the container from a tube on the, ground and they water for. You it automatically does, it and that is the way to. Go it's also important to have a soil in the, container a potting, soil a potting media in the container that is going to hold water so that it didn't dry out too fast but drain excess. Away so a hole in the container and good potting soil keeps you from getting water. Logged but a good quality potting sal will hold that moisture for. You and jungle land is a good quality potting. Sal you can buy jungle land for, outdoors it's called flour and vegetable planting. Soil you can buy jungle land for. Indoors it's called the water saving potting. Soil we were just talking about that with a color a little bit. Ago those water saving crystals soak up water and they hold onto water better even than the soil itself, does so when it gets a little on the dry, side there at least is a little water left there to keep that plant going until you water. AGAIN a nice nice addition to. That now you're going to find night fust products at ace On Sinkle ranch if you go up into The. WOODLANDS aspa ace up in The woodlands has got night fast products and hiding and feed ON i forty five north up that direction On Stuben Or. Airline they carry that as well as DOES Rcw nurseries On Talmbout. Parkway we're gonna now head out To dayton and talk To. Kevin, Hey, kevin welcome to Garden.
Speaker 1: Line good, morning thanks for taking my.
Speaker 16: Call relatively new, listener so may have some crazy. Questions i've got a a long trying to take care of about ten thousand square. Feet it is a mix Between Saint, Augustine bermuda And. Zoutscha i've got the little clover starting to pop up with the little white. FLOWERS i didn't didn't find out about the show and all the info until until it was too late to put out pretty. Emergents whatot?
Speaker 12: Uh?
Speaker 1: SO i was wondering IF wa can read that now or AM i just too?
Speaker 4: LATE i have to live with it all summer, WELL i, Would, uh, boy that's quite the Lawn i've NEVER i don't Think i've ever had a call from anybody that Had Saint augustine bring me To enzoisia all mixed together in a lawn that that's. INTERESTING i would do my mowing down as low as you can right, now probably for those three, together probably you, know inch and a half two inches high in. General inch and a half's a little low For Saint. Augustine but get it mowed down and get all that capture as much of the clippings as you can in that area in order to get the weed seeds that are there from all the weeds out of. It, uh and then proceed to follow my. Schedule and if you go, Online kevin to gardening With skip dot, com that's me gardening with skip dot. Com my schedules are online there as well as other free information on gardening if you'll print those. Out the one schedule is just how to have a pretty. Lawn it's, mow, water fertilized type of. Information the other schedule is what to do about lawn, problems and it's, weeds diseases and insects type of. Information and they take You january Through, december through all those, topics and they tell you what to do, when what the products are that work for, That and SO i would suggest you do. That that would be a good first start to bring in that lawn. Around and if you follow, that you can get that lawn dense and healthy, again and it's going to choke out a lot of its weed.
Speaker 17: Problems So i'm not too late for like a weed and feed. APPLICATION i was worried about warm, Weather. KEVIN i believe that you, know, summertime it's just right around the.
Speaker 4: Corner, yeah and it.
Speaker 8: Is and the.
Speaker 4: Problem you can still use a weed and, feed but that's for broad leaf, weeds and you got to wet the weeds first before you put it. Out my preferred way to approach problems on lawns is to when you need to, fertilize fertilize with a quality. Fertilizer when you need to do weed, control figure out what the weeds, are what you need to do to get what best controls those, weeds and then make that. Application you can put them. Together there's a couple of times a year where those applications, overlap but in GENERAL i like to keep them, separate but, again we're spring is the time of the year where we get a little overlap in the post. Emergent we'd control, killers but you got to follow the label real carefully to have success with. Those, okay, okay, Okay.
Speaker 16: WELL i do appreciates taking my. CALL i HATE i was such an, oddity AND i do appreciate.
Speaker 8: That not at.
Speaker 4: All, no not at. All keep listening and call in when you need. To that's what we're here. For thanks a, Lot. Mike, Absolutely i'm Sorry. Kevin kevin got ahead of my calls there a little.
Speaker 8: Bit.
Speaker 4: Uh Microlife fertilizers are an organic fertilizer for our. Area in, fact they're they're really for all Of texas and. Beyond but it's the number one selling organic here in The houston. Area Micro life six. Two that's the green, bag that's the lawn fertilizer green. Bag and if you look at my, schedule you will see on there that we talk about applying That microlife first application at at the beginning Of. April you can do it a little earlier than. That there's nothing wrong with doing it a little bit earlier than, that because being an, organic it's going to get on the. Ground microbes are going to get a hold of. It they're going to turn those nutrients loose and make them available to your. Plants that's the green. Bag now you may also want to Use microlife h mates. Plus that's the purple bag that has some nutrient in. It but that's not why we're putting it. Down we're putting it down because it is the final decomposition product of. Composting it's like concentrated compost and a. Bag you sprinkle those granules on your lawn and you do that regularly for a period of, time and you slowly build that quality of, soil the structure of the, soil the benefits that soil holds for the, plant, grass plant health over. Time and so that's what the humants plus also. Does AND i would recommend doing both of those if you're trying to take a lawn from not good to make it, good and just be. Patient it's a. Process it takes. Time you, know core aer rating and compost top dressing and those are all parts of the overall rehabbing a lawn. Process But microlife Hum mats plus And microlife Green bag sixty four are key elements and it's time to get those. Done let's, See i'm up against a. Heartbreak mike And, tombaugh you be are first up when we come right. Back we're just finishing up The Houston Livestock show And, rodeo Which Larry gatlin sings. About so that was a good. Run we had a great series of horticulture contests there for the youth of The Greater houston. Area lots of good things they. Do we do an outdoor landscape. Petition it's a container that you plan outdoors for the. Kids we also do a indoor container competition where people create like a houseplant type container or an outdoor small container of. Plant and we they have a horticulture photography contest that's really. Good they do an excellent job of. That and then lots of floral, contests three different floral contests for all arranging contests that those are. AMAZING i tell you WHEN i BUT i see what youth can do when it comes to all these, categories it's, like, wow that's that Is that is? Cool, anyway great great stock, show great. Cause by the, way let's set out and now To. Tumball we're going to talk To. Mike, Hey, mike, welcome to. Guardline, hey good, morning.
Speaker 8: Skiff i've got an oleander THAT'S i guess it got frozen in this last, winter And i'm just wondering DO i need to cut that back or is it it's got brown, Leaves but if you scratch on the, stems you know it's green, underneath so will it re?
Speaker 4: Bloom so you, know sometimes the lander gets killed pretty much all the way. Back you cut it off at the ground and it typically will come. Back sometimes the killing back is kind of, erratic and you end up with kind of A i don't, know an, awkward lopsided looking. Plant there's nothing wrong with cutting it all the way back to the ground and getting fresh right back. Out it'll it'll reach sprout from the base and come back in. Fresh you can do that if you want to wait and see and look at where the leaves now start forming and cut it back to. There that's another legit. Option but LIKE i, said sometimes you're left, with you, know maybe a stem has been partially freeze damage and has a crack in, it but it's still sprouting up two or three feet off the, ground and you kind of end up with an awkward looking plant sometimes that, way but those are your two.
Speaker 8: Options, Okay so IF i just leave it alone and don't cut it back at, all will it still red bloom and uh where then are? Now?
Speaker 4: Okay, yes either, way either way it'll bloomleand oleanders bloom on new, wood meaning current season's. Growth they're Like vitex in that. Way so if you cut those off to the, ground they'll come back and bloom that same. Year, yeah they have the ability to do.
Speaker 8: That, Okay, okay, great, alrighty thank you very.
Speaker 4: Much all, Right, mike you bet you take. Care thank you for the.
Speaker 1: Call.
Speaker 4: Uh Houston Powder coders is a sponsor that we've been talking about for a little while, now AND i tell, you every TIME i see the work they, Do i'm. Impressed in, FACT i Walk i've walked around my yard more than, once going, okay we's some. METAL i need to have this powder coated because it looks so. Good you, know they have over one hundred different colors in. Stock and whether you're looking at outdoor metal, furniture it could be, luminum you, know patio, furniture. Whatever they can code. It if it's wrought, iron if it's cast, iron they can coat. It if you know some beautiful metal ornate fixture that you've attached to this wall of your house in the outdoor patty. Area they can coate. That it could be a lamppost in the. Backyard it could be a railing going down or around a back of porch or. Patio if it's, metal they can coat. It now they're look at it on the north side Of, houston near the intersection About way eight And Hardy Toll. Road but they will come get your furniture in The Greater houston area and they will bring it back to you when it's. Done free pick up and delivery in The Greater houston. Area the easiest thing to do is go take a picture of your, furniture a couple of, pictures maybe different, angles and send it to sales by email sales At Houston cooders dot. Com sales At houstoncoders dot. Com they'll give you a quick email quote and here's what's going to. Take but they they don't just like take metal and coat it and give it back to. You if it needs some little, welds you, know maybe some wells are broken and need some, repair they can do. That they can also do that if you've got those you, know plastic feet on the tubular metal furniture that it kind of worn. Out they can replace those fresh new end caps and plastic. Feed if it's got rusty bolts and hardware holding it, together they'll put in new stainless steel. Hardware makes it look. Good i'll tell, YOU i would say like, new IT'S i think it's just good or better than, new depending on the kind of furniture you. Had but they do great. Work they. Do and you can go To Houston powdercoders dot com and see More Houston powdercoders dot. Com here's the phone number two eight one six seven six thirty eight eighty eight two eight one six seven six thirty eight eighty eight and the website again if you want to send them a. Picture sales At houstoncoders dot com telling you it is gorgeous what they can. DO i was at a kind of a Garage saley type deal group garage sale the other day and looking at, stuff and now That i've got This houston coder thing in my, head it's Like i'll see some old furniture that they're basically not charging anything, for and my thought, is you know WHAT i could pick that up? For a song AND i could coat it and be like. New that's an idea for. You we were talking about fertilizing in the lawns and. Things As amite is the trace mineral supplement you hear me talk about On guardline all the. Time and asumite is those trace. Minerals and what that basically means is you don't need a lot of, them but they're. Essential you have to have, them but you don't need, much. Okay and so when you put down, asmite you are building the bank account in the. Soil you're building the bank. Account so you can put on asmite when you. Fertilize you can fertilize and then come back fill the hopper with asumite and go do the asmite on. There or you can do asmite anytime of the. Year it doesn't have to be tied to a fertilization. Season so if it's most convenient for you to buy, fertilizer buy, asumite and to put them both out on a whatever, morning you're going to get out there and do.
Speaker 12: It do.
Speaker 4: It if, not you, know we'd be in middle Of. July and you know, WHAT i haven't done as might in a. YEAR i need to do, that, well you can do it and just you can get a soil sample done to see exactly your nutrient content and what you. Need if you don't have, that just once or twice a, year just do the as mite onto the lawn and that works just fine, too makes it real. Easy you're listening to Garden. Line the phone number is seven one three two one two kt R h seven one three two one two k t R. H we want to take a little break here at the top of the, hour in just a, MOMENT i want to remind you That i'm going to be at The Sienna maultch from one to three Next, saturday from one to three pm Next saturday At Ciena. Mulch, now if you've never been down To Ciena maltch, before you need to. Go AND i would suggest when you come for their, event go ahead and bring an empty pickup or a trailer or something so you can haul some of the good stuff they have to make the foundation for success in your GUARD i, mean you know this is this is, compost this is so bed, mixes this is. Mulches by the, way they have a great selection of landscape rock to uh everything from like riverstones and gravel to of course sand uh and then stone on. Pallettes you, know if you want to make a little little flat, patio just a dry laid stone with maybe some decomposed granite or some some pea gravel between, it or whatever you're gonna. Do they have all the supplies you need for that. Now they are ON fm five twenty. One but here's what you need to. Do just go to the website because you're not gonna remember IF i give you all the, directions at LEAST i. Wouldn't. Uh sienna multch dot, Com siena multch dot. Com Next saturday from one to, three that's when we'll be. There if you haven't been To Moss, nursery oh, WOW i was looking at some of their social media the other day And moss is just like it's just like a train has pulled up in one truck after, another just lined up unloading. Plants they are always getting in a whole new shipment of really cool plants At Moss. Nursery that's a garden center down In. Seabrook it's On Toddville, road eight acres to wander. Through this place has been around for seventy, years and it is fun allow yourself, time because this isn't just you, know you walk, up you see, it you turn, around walk. Out, no you're gonna wander through this place and see all kinds of unusual. Containers they have so many kinds of. Containers they have all kinds of cool landscape art that you'll. See you may walk around the corner and see a little, fountain you, know just a little fountain sitting, there bubbling, water and to make the next, corner and there's all the vegetables, everywhere and the flowering hanging baskets and just on and. On succulents galore At Moss. Nursery hanging baskets galore at Mos. Nursery it is so beautiful to go down and see all this. STUFF i love. GOING i just love. Going and they have staff that know what they're talking. About they are garden themselves and they have been for a long, time and you're going to see some really cool. STUFF i can just tell you that you need to make a plan to get out there and do. That in, fact today wouldn't be a bad day at all to get out there and go To Moss. Nursery last time THAT i was down. THERE i was looking at some of their houseplants in the houseplant, greenhouse and the selection is. Incredible it's just. Unbelievable and it doesn't matter if you are into the tropical leafy house. Plants if you're looking for string of you name, its they got. Them if you're looking for other kinds of succulents or cacti or, whatever maybe a giant staghorn fern hanging from a tree. LIMB i, mean those things are they just scream look at? Me when you have, Those they've got. Them there must nursey all, Right time to put this hour in the. BOOKS i will be back in a bit with your. Calls if you would like to be one of the first ones up when we come, back all you gotta do is seven to one to three two one two k t R. H seven one three one two k t R. H and we we'll talk to you about the kinds of questions that you. Have what are you wondering, About what do you need help with to have? Success what have you heard and you're wondering is that?
Speaker 8: Right is that?
Speaker 4: True then we'll talk about.
Speaker 11: It welcome to k t R. H Garden line With Skin character it's.
Speaker 3: Just watch him as many good things to seats a job, again.
Speaker 4: Suddit, hey we welcome, Back welcome back to Garden. Line we have more gardening to talk about, today as well as your calls seven one three two one two k t R. H if you got a question we can help you, with you're happy to do. That you hear me on Garden line all the time talk about the importance of soil prep AND i know that it's not the most exciting part of. Gardening well for some. PEOPLE i get excited about, it but some people's, like, no show me a big FLOUR i want to buy it and take it home and plant. It, yeah that's. Fun or a big tomato tomato plants gonna make me, nice that lives us. Tomatoes that's all. True but if you don't start with the, soil you're not going to see the bounty that you want to see from your flowers and your vegetables and a nice dense lawn and healthy trees and all.
Speaker 6: That.
Speaker 4: Soil soil soil is, first and Heirloom soils has mastered the art of creating quality soil. Mixes AND i do mean. Quality i'm talking about you, know not stuff that just gets rushed through and sold before it's, ready and it ends up in problems and things like some cheap products can. Do i'm talking about soil that's been crafted in a, way it's been, screened it's been fully, decomposed it's been all the things that you need to do to make that product. Good that's what they. Do and you can go To airloomsoils dot. Com airloomsoils dot. Com that's the, website AND i hope you will go To Airloom soil's website because when you get, there what you're going to find you find it a calculator that makes it real easy to figure out exactly what you. Need you're going to see all their products. PRODUCTS i don't have time to talk about all the different ones they. Carry they have a long line of. Products you can also find out about their, supersacks which is a one cubic yard sack okay and one cubic cart sack that they deliver to your driveway neat. Clean they set it on the driveway there you. Go you're ready to scoop it out and go to, town or they can dump it on the Driving you can break severaly yards and dump it on the, driveway or you can just buy their. Bags their bags are available all over. Town you, know things like the works potting, soil the fruit berry and citrus, mix they have cactus and succulent. Soil they've got a veggie and herb, mix they got a landscape bed. Mix, many many, options but go to the Website heirloomsoils dot com you can find out where to buy. Them and if you want to do a bulk order out of the porter yard there At Orange rock And, maltz you can do bulk orders there as. Well AND i didn't even start talking about the hardwood malts and the cedar malts and the pine bark and all the other things that they carry At Heirloom. Sauce good products made For, texas and they. WORK i can tell you that Because i've used. Them let's head out to the phones now and we're going to head The spring branch and talk To judy this. Morning Hello, Judy welcome to Garden.
Speaker 3: Line, hi good.
Speaker 18: Morning my question is about. HIBISCUS i just bought a tree shaped hibiscus AND i want to know IF i can keep it in a pot or if it would do better IF i planted it the.
Speaker 4: Soil you can do either. One the advantage of putting it in a container is that when we get that cold, weather you can slide a little dolly or under, it put a strap around, it and very easily move that heavy container into the garage or some other protected spot in the. Soil it does just. Fine you provided a good quality soil mix and take care of, it and it's going to do really. Good but then you're going to need to figure out you either get your two options in the. Winter either you just let cold kill it and get your new one next, year or you're going to find some way to protect, it which can involve a little bit of work to protect a hibiscus during hard core. Freezes, okay, well thank you very. Much well good when it, blooms send us a picture of. It love to see.
Speaker 8: That they're.
Speaker 4: GORGEOUS i love those. Plants thank, You bye, bye all, right bye, Bye. Judy thanks for the call very. Much, uh it's still a good time to put out Nitrofoss, imperial that is the red orange bag of fifteen five to. Ten that early quick boost gets your long green and, growing and about six weeks after you do The imperial you can begin to do your summer long term fertilization that'll carry you all the way to. Fall the second one for, now a quick grein Up imperial is an excellent choice at that fifteen to five to, ten which is a three one two ratio of, nutrients lots of, nitrogen not much, phosphorus medium amount of. Potassium it fits so many lawns in our. Area it is so typical of the kind of fertilizer that we're going to need in terms of nutrient. Ratios and it was designed for that by research on turf At texas and m and other universities throughout The. South now you're going to find Nitro Foss imperial the orange. Bag you're going to find it AT m AND d out In. Rosenberg you're going to find it At Ace Hardware city On Memorial. Drive you're going to find it At heiden And feed On Stubner. Airline you're going to find it at the The. Arburgate oh, WELL i see The arborgate carries Night foss. Products, also by the, WAY i don't know If i've mentioned. This Moll Stanton Shopping center down In, Alvin North North taylor another place you can get Knight Fass. Imperial Night foss products in general are sold at all these, places and each place carries its own different blend of products and. Things but Night Foss imperil is a quality product that. Works let's set out now To dickenson and we're gonna talk To. Dale, Hey, dale good, morning and welcome to Garden.
Speaker 1: Line, well good morning to, you and thank you for taking my. CALL i appreciate.
Speaker 14: It.
Speaker 1: IS i have a thornless lime tree in a, pot a large. POT i put it in the garage under a groad light in the you, know during the, winter the cold, weather and then when it warms, UP i bring it. Outside but now for two years, running WHEN i put it outside in instead of the leaves being really dark green and having the white flowers on, it it starts to turn. Yellow the leaves start to turn. Yellow AND i don't understand why that.
Speaker 4: Happens is The is it the older leaves that are turning yellow further down the, branch or is it the new growth out toward the end that's turning.
Speaker 1: Yellow, well it seems like it's a good.
Speaker 4: Question. Huh, actually, Okay, well new growth tends to come out less green more chartruse than deep almal. Green that's just, typical et. Cetera when the older growth turns, yellow it could be that the trees just putting on a lot of new growth and some of the older leaves are going. Away it could be due to a water, issue and that's usually the cause of older leaves turning. Yellow it's too, dry too. Wet you, know suddenly the plant is out there trying to, grow it's, growing it's warming, up and you know the soule moisture may not be. Enough some some extreme of soul moisture is a. Possibility you ought to be able to fertilize, it, though and everything gets to look and good. Again and SO i would get a good Quality centrius. Fertilizer the folks At nelson have a very good fruit tree fertilizer and a little, jar so it's real suitable for fertilizing a few. Trees AND i would use that on them and see if we can get that bouncing. Back if the only other THING i can tell, You dale is maybe send me a picture of it WHERE i can see exactly what yellow looks like and where the yellow is and. Things there may be a variation on the answer THAT i would give you as after seeing. It but in, GENERAL i THINK i think we're going to talk about just a. Transition it's probably a sole moisture. Issue BUT i would fertilize, it make sure the soil is adequately moist and it should be good to. Go it should grow out of.
Speaker 1: That, okay but you, know, okay my original original thought, was when't it when it's in the, garage it's. BEAUTIFUL i, mean the leaves are dark. Green i'm sure it's shooting the. Leaves it's got those little white i'll call them flowers on, it AND i mean it's just. Beautiful, yeah and there's this.
Speaker 4: Change so, yeah well you're making a big. Picture, yeah you're making a big change on it because you're moving it from a very low light environment to a brighter light. Environment and a lot of times plants in low light will turn greener because they're making more chlorophyll molecules to try to capture the low light that they. HAVE i, know are those orchids you see in the grocery. Store they will do. That you put them in a low light and suddenly the plant's. Greener but it's because it's trying to capture more of the little bit of limited light that it, has so that that is a plant function and that may be part of what you're. Seeing all, Right, Dale, okay all, right all, right thank. YOU i appreciate, you BUT i appreciate that. Call. Helen we're going to come to you first when we come right back from. Break welcome back to the Guard. Line, Well Megan trainer this. Morning good to have you back with. Us we are talking about all kinds of things, gardening AND i tell you there's no better time than spring just to get out and get ideas for. GARDENING i always take the long route through a neighborhood WHEN i go, places you, KNOW i could If i'm in a, HURRY i, Don't but in, general IF i, can you, know kind of go down some neighborhood streets and PLACES i haven't been before on my way, Somewhere i'll do it because you get. Ideas, yeah and you get to see some weird things, too which is kind of. Cool but you get ideas like you may see a planting and, go, OH i love the way they designed. THAT i love WHAT i love those. Plants take a picture of, it you, Know and if you don't know what they. Are bring them to one of my appearances and, say, HEY i like what they did. Here CAN i do that in my? Area and what plants is? That, well how do we do? It we'll be at The animulch Next. Saturday we can do. That But i'll tell you, this if you want professional quality installation and help and, Design puerscapes is the company to. DO i mean they know how to create gorgeous beauty from landscape lighting to helping poorly drained areas to drain. Better, yes they're they're certified and able to do that kind of work in your. Landscape so that area that just stays too. Wet you know most plants say loves good, Drainage, well welcome To. Houston clay soils lots of rain doesn't always drain. Well they can fix, that. Okay they can do landscape, lighting they can do irrigation. Repairs they even have a maintenance program which is quarterly. Maintenance they come out every quarter clean up your landscape, beds get fresh mulch on, them replace the flowers if it's the season it needs to be done on. That they can fix irrigation in, it make sure it's working right in the. Beds just general pruning and care of those beds so your beds always look their. Best piercescapes dot, com that's all you need to. Know that's the, website Pierce scapes dot. Com if you want to get me a call to eight one three seven fifty. Sixty we're gonna head out To humble now and speak With. Helen Hello, helen and welcome to Garden.
Speaker 6: Line good, morning and thank you for taking my. Call i'm curious it's not too late to plant my kalladium BUB i have seventy Five oh, no.
Speaker 4: Oh not at, All no. Kalladium kalladiums don't want to be out there when it's, cold so they're going to love this. Week. Yeah, no you can plan kalladiums on into the warm. Weather not too, late not at.
Speaker 6: All, okay last, Question CAN i put a few granules of my triple thirteen in? There just a few in the hole THAT i plan it?
Speaker 1: In no need to do?
Speaker 6: It?
Speaker 4: Hold if no need to do, it you can sprinkle it around the. Plant you can do that. NOW i you, know triple thirteen is not my favorite, fertilizer but by any means that there are better ratios for almost all. Plants but if you've got a bag of, it go ahead and use. It there's not going to younger hurt. ANYTHING i, mean for. Years garden line back in The deacompton days recommended triple. Thirteen and we've just kind of learned as we've gone through time that that middle number of the phosphorus that builds, up especially in lawns and, things it becomes too. Much and so but using it one or two even three years isn't gonna kill your plants at. ALL i, mean it'll benefit, Them but in long, Term i'd like to switch over to some other kind of. Fertilizer, now, okay.
Speaker 6: All, right all, RIGHT i appreciate.
Speaker 7: That thank you.
Speaker 4: Again all, right when when all those seventy something kalladiums start smiling with their beautiful, foliage you guys send me a picture of.
Speaker 6: That, NOW i do that Real i'm proud of all, right all, right.
Speaker 4: Thank, You, Helen thank, you bye. Bye all right. There jungle land indoor water saving crystal potting. Soil that's a lot of. Words, basically it's jungle land water saving potting. Soil best to use. Indoors you can use it outdoors if you, want But it's made for the. Indoors those tropical, plants as leafy plants that we have Around aglianima and closet, plant the, ivys the you, know the pathos and the, philodendrons and all the different beautiful plants we have. Indoors this is a great soil. Forum it drains, well it holds moisture and drains well at the same, time does. Both it doesn't let you sit there soggy, wet but at the same time it does whole. Moisture the crystals help whole moisture even a little, longer so that if you don't water then the plant is still. Okay you, KNOW i mean you can't you can't go. Forever but it makes it more, forgiving is the WAY i like to put. It you, know you forget a little. Bit it's. Okay. Plants water saving crystals they got you for a little. While they can take care of those. Plants jungle nd products are available in many. Places you're gonna find Jungle land and other nitrofoss products and a number of different sources around. Town for, example if you head Two Fishers hardware On southhomore In, pasadena or the one On broadway In, laporte or the one on what is it thirty one eighty, yeah thirty one EIGHTY, fm thirty one eighty out in Mont. Bellevue and then there's Another Fisher's hardware And baytown On Alexander, street lots of. Those and then In brenham plants and, things of, course is another place that carries nitrofoss products of various. Types if you would like to give me a, call the number is seven to one three two one two k t R h seven one three two one two k t R. H some of, you, uh you, know you, know there's a there's a lot of different kinds of. Gardeners, okay there's the occasional gardener and they typically spring is what lights your, fire and then you go on with other things in.
Speaker 12: Life.
Speaker 4: Okay then there are the gardeners that are very dedicated to it and they're going to be out there pretty much every day of the, year being in their gardens and doing. Things then there's this higher level where AND i don't mean to make it like one kind of gardener's better than the other at. All i'm just, saying like any, hobby a gardening has levels of addiction, Okay and so this higher, level there's probably a betty for clinic wing for this level of. Horticulture but, anyway these are the people that they make their own, stuff you, Know like you can go buy all these gray, soils but they're, like, no, no, NO i got to tweak it a little. Bit LIKE i want to get some big particles of pearlite AND i want to mix them into a potting. Soil there's a good potting, soil BUT i want to take that drainage up a. Notch and SO i need to know where DO i buy pearlite so THAT i can create my own blends in that. Way, Well Kingwood Garden center carries those kinds of things out there In. Kingwood you can Get they have what they call GRAY g and and X g pearlte four point four cubic foot. Bags if you want to blend your own, SOILS i mean you can do. THIS i have been in the past WHERE i had a container that didn't drain. WELL i bought some. Charcoal charcoal they say sweetens the. Soil it prevents it from going, sour meaning anaerobically decomposing and. Stinking And i'll put a little charcoal in the bottom of the. Pot so IF i do water a little too, MUCH i had to be real careful when you're on good drainage holes that charcoal sweetens. It SO i make my own blend, sometimes you, know maybe there's an orchid blend That i'm using for something. Else or the other DAY i needed to plant some succulents and the potting SOIL i had was just too mucky, rich and SO i was amending it with extra, shale with extra pearlite and. Things that's What i'm talking about about gardening going to another. Level and we can do this in a lot of. Ways gardeners that propagate their own, plants gardeners that start their own seeds and raise their own, transplants and so. On there's a lot of ways to do it. Well, anyway what Garden center does have some bags of four point four cubic foot bags of the various grades of. Pearlite two grades of pearlite that are out. There Warren Southern gardens is down the, Road kingwood's On Stone, Hollow warrens is On North. Park both of them are open seven days a week and they are loaded with plants right. Now the color is. Outstanding by the, Way i'm going to be heading out To Warren Southern gardens in Early. April for those of you that are out in that neck of the woods north and. West it'll be the last TIME i go out, There so that'll Be april. Fifth you might just make a note on your Calendar, Saturday april. Fifth i'll be out there At Warren Southern. Gardens their selection of blooming trees like red buds is. Outstanding their selection of roses is. Outstanding beautiful house, plants, vegetables everything that you can. Imagine and perhaps most important of all in a good garden center Like warrens And, kingwood is good. Advice people that know what they're talking. About people that greet, you they're, friendly they're, helpful and when they tell you how to do, something it helps you have. Success that is. Important now we're still having mulch, madness as In march, madness basketball mulch madness At Warren Southern. Gardens so you buy five bags of mult you get a fifth bag, free simple as. That by, five sixth, Three, sorry the sixth bag is. Free and you, know when you buy, maltch you need a lot of Malt you need a lot of. Bags so this is a good time to stock up and get that mulching done to make your weeding chores a lot easier as we go on into the. Season if you would like to ask a question here on Garden, line all you gotta do is punch in these numbers seven one three two one two k T r. Eighths those aren't numbers seven one three two one two fifty eight seventy. Four there you, go there's. Numbers had a lady one time fuss at me BECAUSE i don't always give out the. Numbers all, right well there you got your. Numbers there we. Go the Late Jerry Lee lewis all, right we're rocketing line on Guarden. Line we're gonna head straight out to the phones now and go to talk To. Bill, bill welcome to Garden. Line good to have you with. Us what can how can we help? Today appreciate to?
Speaker 9: Call uh got scale on sego palm fronds and can't.
Speaker 4: Get rid of, okay all, Right uh that's a tough. One you could try a really oil. Spruy, yeah try an oil. Spray. Now the problem is sago palm fronds are stiff as a board and it and and they block the spray from getting to other parts of the, plant so you're gonna have to kind of have to hit it from other. Angles but the more you can completely coat the undersides of the, leaves especially that's where most of the scale, is the better off it'll. Be if it's really bad and you got some fronds turning, YELLOW i would just print them off and get that scale out of. There Uh and because it'll always put new fronds out high if you if you can get rid of them some that way and then spray everything you can with a horticultural. Oil, again coverage is, critical getting it all in there that you. Can you can use a systemic. Insecticide i'm not sure how the effective they are on sego, scale but that would. Be another option is to drench the soil with a product containing a systemic insecticide like. Imidocloprid, okay but like name all nime as an oil would be. Helpful, okay you, could you could do, that but a horticultural oil is just a you, know a summer based oil as. Well either, way you just need a good thick oil to smother. Them and they have that, waxy flaky white coating that makes it hard to get an oil to. Them but if you can coat them with, oil they can't. Breathe they can't breathe and they. Die, YEAH i get it real bad at the basis of the. Fronds, Yes, yeah that's how it is because they're all in, there you, know on the trunk of the. Plant there's a thousand nooks and crannies to hide in in, there so it's hard to get rid of. Them but but that's WHAT i would. Do that's the approach on.
Speaker 18: It really really good with.
Speaker 4: Troll, yeah and be willing to do. It be willing to do it again a month, later you, know do it again and, uh and then if you want to try the, systemic it won't. Hurt as to how effective it'll, BE i can't tell. You but, uh anything that's sucking juices out of a plant a. Systemic when they suck the juices out of the, plant it keeps them they pick up that poison because it's in the plumbing of the sego in this.
Speaker 1: Case, okay what was that systemic?
Speaker 12: Again?
Speaker 4: Uh the ingredient is in meadow. Cloprid but if you look for the ingredient that begins WITH I M I D o in mid. Dough that's the only ingredient out there on the garden market that begins WITH i AM I D o in Meadow, okay and a good garden. Center, yeah good luck with. That, now take care all. Right the appreciate your.
Speaker 1: Help thank, you.
Speaker 4: You, bet thanks a. Lot, yeah the scale on segos is a. Mess it is a mess to do. With League city feed down In League city has been around forty years now and it's On highway. Three it's just a few blocks south Of highway ninety six In League. City so that whole region of the listening, Area League, City Santa, Fe, Dickinson san Le, Owned Lamark, Baycliff, Webster Clear Lake. City i'll come into real this is your hometown feed store and it's the old time feed. Store it's been around forty. Years they carry the bags out for you like they used to, do right like features us all used to. Do you're going to find the fertilizers for your lawn and your, gardens your, beds your your vegetables and flowers like ace products from, azamite products from nitrofoss from, microlife from heirloom. Soils you're going to Find nelson plant food products there as well as a whole list of, pesticides, herbicide, sponge of sides that you, need premium pet, food some horse supplies as. Well everything you need for your backyard, chickens you, know the feed and the feeders and the, bedding plants and. More as they, say everything but the chickens is there At League City. Feed they're Open monday Through saturday nine to six and closed On sunday again On highway, three a few blocks south Of highway ninety six In League city two eight one three three two sixteen twelve to eight one three three two sixteen. Twelve let's go To Clear lake now and we're going to talk To. Kate, Hello, kate Welcome Reguard.
Speaker 6: Line good.
Speaker 10: Morning how are.
Speaker 4: You i'm doing, Well thank you.
Speaker 10: GOOD i just had a couple of QUESTIONS i just. Wondered number, ONE i pretty much lost a lot of plants in the in the, Freeze So i'm wondering what would be pet friendly and what would be basically trying to get rid OF i have SOMETIMES i have a lot of hornets, around So i'm trying to get something that you, know they don't like the smell that, thing and maybe the, Lemons BUT i was wondering what your opinion was on.
Speaker 7: That and also number.
Speaker 10: Two last week it was really really windy AND i seated my lawn AND i don't think it took very. Well you THINKS i could see it again or SHOULD i wait a couple months and try.
Speaker 4: Again, well when you seed turf number, one it has to be a type of seed that will survive. Here and there's a lot of turf seeds, sold especially by not our good independent, nurseries but other places that sell. Plans they'll sell you a seed that really belongs up north instead of down, Here so that's a. Possibility the critical thing on seed is getting it to sprout and stay moist the whole time until it establishes a good root. System because, ever if it starts to sprout and dries, out then you got a real problem, There and so that would be some possibilities as to what was going on with the. Seed in, GENERAL i recommend sodding rather than. Seeding or if you don't want to buy a whole, side then at least get a. Plugs you can buy a section of side and cut it and strips and plant those strips to make it go, further but a side is generally a better way to go about. It, now as far as as far as, uh let's, see you know plants and, things you are right next To Tamas nursery and so there you're not gonna you're not going to find a better a better place for a wide variety of. Plants and then when you go talk to, them they're going to be able to tell you about those like is this plant a toxic of? Dogs bite on the leaves and. Things they're going to be able to guide you through their the the pet safety on the plants that they.
Speaker 10: Sell, WELL i appreciate.
Speaker 7: It thank you have a blessed.
Speaker 4: Well you, too thanks for the. Call appreciate that you have a Good sunday as.
Speaker 8: WELL.
Speaker 4: Uh Growers outlet up In, Willis. Is it's just an outstanding garden. Center and those of you who probably some of you live up there AND i didn't know we had a garden you. Do it's on seventy Five. South The Willis Growers outlet In Willis is also the Website Growers outlet In willis dot. Com Growers outlet In willis dot. Com you're going to find a products there that like things From medina And Nightfoss. Microlife you know the fertilizer types of. Products you're gonna find pest control products there as. Well and then what do you expect from a garden. Center, WELL i want vegetable, PLANTS i want, HERBS i want bedding plants for flowers and. COLOR i want beautiful hanging. BASKETS i want shrubs and, trees a few fruit TREES i. Want they've got all of that At Growers outlet In. Willis and if you go To Growers outlet In willis dot com the, website you can check. Availability very few nurseries will tell you on the website here's what's available right, now and here's what it. Costs and they stay pretty good up to date on what they carry. There it's really worth a trip Again highway seventy five just south Of. Willis so for those of you In conroe And willis And New waverley And Lake, conroe that whole, region this is your hometown garden.
Speaker 12: Center all.
Speaker 4: Right you are looking at me running out of time in this. Segment but WHEN i come Back bill And conroe And sean In Missouri, city you're gonna be our first two. Up when you hear. Yodeling you know you're listening to guard. Line sorry about, That my. Apologies all, right you listening to guard line seven one three two one two. Ktrh that is the way you get to me so we can answer and talk about all kinds of gardening questions you might. Have Sweet green by nitrophos is eleven percent, nitrogen one of the highest nitrogen contents of any organic product you're going to find. Fertilizer you put it, down it dissolves, away it goes into the. Soil it's high carbon content makes microbes really. Happy organic gardeners have long known you put molasses on the soil and you're going to stimulate some of the microbial activity that is good for the root systems of those. Plants sweet green is a better by the bag smells wonderful from many places around town where you find nitrofoss. Products for, Example, uh maybe you are In sagemont m AND. D. Beamer they're gonna have it at place like. That they're gonna have it At Katie Ace hardware And Ace, Hardware Sinkle ranch. Too by the. Way out there in THE kd, area you're gonna find. It a memorial At Ace Hardware, city, uh and In Stafford Court, hardware and then up In, CYPRUS m AND. D we'll have it On. Louetta many places carry these nitro foss. Products all, right, well let's head out to the. Phones we are going to go now To sean In Missouri. City IF i can't find the right button there we. Go, Hey, seawan welcome To. Guardline, hey how you.
Speaker 1: Doing i'm, well.
Speaker 6: THANKS i was calling about the. Biscus So i've been having the topical biscus the last couple of years and THEN i lose them in in the, uh you, know doing the.
Speaker 4: Freeze, okay wondering.
Speaker 5: Did you did you hear about the h the hardy?
Speaker 19: HIBISCUS i think the name of it, is.
Speaker 4: Yes mm, hmm SURE i. Have uh you will know that you will know about, those, yes. Okay so tropical hibiscus is as the name, implies it's a tropical. Plant it's one of the popular ones here because we live far enough south you can grow you can grow tropical biscus, here but they are freeze. Sensitive but the hardy hibiscus is a perennial. Hibiscus some of them are native along The gulf. Coast The Gulf coast. States, uh there. Is they typically come in three colors or, variations, white, pink and. Red some of them have striped, leaves like like peppermint, candy you, know. Stripe some of them have various. Shades but the blooms on those are bigger than tropical. Hibiscus they'll be as big as a dinner. Plate on a hardy, hibiscus they die to the ground and then the plant is a, perennial so it comes right back out in spring to do it all. Again you buy the plant, once and you get it year after year after.
Speaker 12: Year.
Speaker 4: Uh the freeze kills the top, back but not the. Plant and you can find those in a lot of. Places there's many versions of, them some gorgeous, ones and each bloom lasts a. Day but they have a whole cluster of. Blooms so in one little cluster you may have a week or more worth of blooms that are right, there and then new shoots grow with even. More it's a good. Plant would where WOULD i find? Those you're gonna find. Those you're In, richmond, Right is that is that? Correct, no you're In Missouri. City you're gonna find.
Speaker 6: Those?
Speaker 4: Uh, YEAH i would.
Speaker 7: Try.
Speaker 4: Uh let's, say if you go to In Chanted gardens or In Chant forest done In Richmond rosenberg, area you're gonna find those down. There they're gonna have a good selection of. Both both places are gonna have a good selection of. Those uh if if you, know it depends on which way you travel from where you. Live but, uh a good quality garden center is going.
Speaker 8: To carry, Those, okay Chanted.
Speaker 4: Gardens In Chanted gardens is north Of, richmond toward Fullshre. Katie Enchanted forest is kind of in Between richmond and Sugar, land but south of fifty nine or sixty nine as it's now. Called both of those would be good. Places, yeah all right to take care of.
Speaker 14: You.
Speaker 4: Bet they're, beautiful beautiful. Plants glad you asked about. Them, YEAH i love those. Plants they are. Outstanding Pest BROTHERS i talked to the guys At Pest brothers the other day and THEY i was, saying you, know what's. UP i would like to know what's happening in the pest world SO i can stay up on top of. Things i'm not an, Entomologist i'm. Horticulturists and they were saying termite, swarms the termites are starting to. Swarm and what happens is they come out of wherever they've been. Living they fly way up in the air and mate hundreds of feet up in the air and then come down to the ground and they shed their wings and the female then sets up, house which you don't want them to, do especially in your. House and so we've got for most and, termites especially down south of downtown kind of area south of it ten if you, will and then if you go a little further, north the subterranean is the more common type of. Termite both of them eat would both of them are not. Good and so there's also drywood. Termites that's a whole other. Monster But Pest brothers knows how to deal with these. Things they have state of the art product for controlling. Termites they do a little trench around your foundation of your. Property they put this product in the trench and covered, up and when termites try to head towards your house, underground that's what they, do they go. Underground it stops them and it lasts like ten years. Guaranteed it is a very good product for controlling and preventing an infestation in your. Home like a termidoor liquid, WRAP i believe is what they call. It and these guys At Pest, brothers they understand the products and what to do you. Use there's different versions of, products and you, know As i'm visiting with, Them i'm always asking, questions, well why would you use, that why would you use? This and they just got the answers they know they. Will if it's this, situation you need to use this. One if it's that, situation you need to use that. One they know how to deal with. Things when you call them At Pest, brothers it's two eight one two o six forty six seventy they can come and help you have not only effective pest control for a long, time but have it done in the safest possible manner so you don't have to worry about these products in your property. Now they also have that mosquito control, system bait buckets of mosquito. Control you need to talk to them about that because mosquito season is almost upon. Us they cover all the way From Texas city down south all the way up to The. Woodlands they go From baytown on the east side all the way across To, kadie so the Whole Greater houston area is their. Area the pest brosb r os dot. Com that's the. Website go, there give them a call to eight one two oh six forty six. Seventy i'm going to head now TO Uh richmond and we're going to talk To. Alex, Hey, alex welcome to the garden.
Speaker 19: Line, Hey, skip good to talk to you.
Speaker 12: AGAIN i have a.
Speaker 19: Question my wife loves four, o'clocks but they have basically invaded our entire. Flowerbed what CAN i use kill?
Speaker 4: Them so you have desirable plants around the flower the four, O'clocks, yes, sir ok, Okay so we're not going to just spray the four o'clocks because we'll kill good. Things so here's what YOU i would recommend you do if you go to my Website gardening With skip dot. COM i have a publication called Skipsweed wiper and it's a simple little thing you can build in ten. Minutes it has. Sponges when you, Build.
Speaker 1: I'll get the weed wipers.
Speaker 19: Which which herbicide to.
Speaker 4: Use two FOUR d products or triclope here T R i c L O p Y r one or both of those will work on getting down four o'clocks have a huge storage tuber. Underground. Uh you can dig them, up but you always miss a few, pieces as you've probably learned about.
Speaker 7: Now.
Speaker 4: Uh but, uh if you wipe it on the, foliage it'll translocate down and you may have to redo it later. On but in, general that's the way to get rid of, them and you don't get any pest or any herbicide on any desirable plants by using my weed.
Speaker 19: Wiper and, then, right do you have a way, too because THEY i guess they sort of spill their seeds out and that's kind of how they they spread.
Speaker 4: Around, yes what do you recommend?
Speaker 19: To she really likes, Them so is there a way that we can keep?
Speaker 4: Them but keep them sort of under, control you, know just from the flower, spade cut them, off don't let them gallop seed and spread the. Seed that's really what's in your. Control there's not another practical way to do. It if you had a good thick, mulch that would, help because those four o'clock seeds are pretty small and they got to have sunlight once they sprout to get, Going so a good thick mulch would. Help but they're. Persistent their wonderful, plant but they're. Persistent too much of a good, thing is what you're. Experiencing, Yes, sirtain we'll thank you.
Speaker 12: Again.
Speaker 19: SKIP i appreciate.
Speaker 4: It you bet good luck with. That thanks a. Lot appreciate your call for. Sure we're going to. Go now let's see. What, YEAH i THINK i have. Time bill And. Conroe, bill welcome to garden. Line how can we? Help?
Speaker 1: Thanks.
Speaker 20: Skip i've got an area WHERE i had bermuda And Sant augustine and take over the route and so basically cleared it, off And i'm getting ready to put the new saw. Down but Now i'm seeing that some of the bermuda just is so. Pernicious it JUST i see the roots coming, up And i'd like to put some stuff down to yetto those it's more vegetation. Killer BUT i have to wait the full seven days or COULD i get by with just two?
Speaker 4: DAYS i wouldn't do. That and when you say, vegetation some of the vegetation killers are so persistent you can't plant something. There so you've got to watch that label real. Carefully are you wanting to get rid of the? Bermuda but Plant Saint? Augustine is that the.
Speaker 8: Plan, yes that's, right.
Speaker 4: OKAY i would slow down and let's take some time as it warms. Up the bermuda is going to, grow and you can spray it with a grass only. Killer there's some of. Those if you go on my Website gardening With skip dot, com there is a publication called herbicides For skip's weed. Wiper they're not just for the weed. Wiper they would be for. Sprays and there's a category there for grassy. Weeds and there's two grass only killers and two everything. Killers you can use either one on the. BERMUDA i would wait about two weeks after you spray and wait until it reach, sprouts because it. Will you won't get it, all and spray again and make sure you've eradicated that bermuda before you go in, sometime let's say Late, april to get That Saint augustine. Established i'm out of.
Speaker 11: Time welcome to kat R H Garden line With Scip richard's.
Speaker 3: Rim just watch him as many protest by.
Speaker 14: Not a.
Speaker 4: Sid, hey good, morning. Folks we are glad to have you listening this morning on. Guardline guess what we're in our last hour of the. Morning will wind this up at ten am. Today so if you got some questions and you would like to give me a call seven one three two one two fifty eight seventy four seven one three two one TWO ktrh if you like to dial by, Letters we're going to go straight out To Deer park and talk To. Gina, Hello, gina welcome To.
Speaker 7: Gardenline good, Morning, Skip thank you for taking my.
Speaker 1: Call uh, SURE a brief.
Speaker 7: QUESTION i have two forty year Old bradford, pears and two years AGO i had, them you, know professionally pruned and, fertilized and there has been no upward growth. Since AND i mean, THIS i mean it's bloomed and it's got, leans but there's no you, know it's it was pruned pretty. Close and the other thing is a couple of years AGO i put river rock around, them And i'm just wondering if that's impeating the tree.
Speaker 4: Growth, well the river rocks shouldn't. BE i don't know what's going on with those pear. Trees when you prune, them the one thing they do most and best is grow straight back. Up they send up shoots and just reach for the. Sky. Right it's one of the difficult things about. Prunum SO i don't know if you prune a, pair why would WHY i would not be doing that unless it's just really struggling for some unknown reason that it's not doing. Well you. Know this may be one where sending me a photo of the pear tree once it gets growing and, things or even if is it in bloom right.
Speaker 7: Now it has bloomed and it's got, Leaves.
Speaker 4: Okay so maybe a picture of, it maybe i'll see. SOMETHING i don't, know something's something's, wrong you, know just hearing your, questions, like something's wrong. THERE i don't know. WHAT i don't know what's going, on because that's not that's not what happens to.
Speaker 7: A bad feeling for the last year about, them you, Know and it could be there maybe lack of, water.
Speaker 12: You, know.
Speaker 4: Well that that would slow, growth but pairs are you can basically almost be ignoring them and they're up there still growing and Doing, Okay SO I i don't, know something's something's a little, off AND i just based on what you've told me so, Far i'm not hearing what the cause might.
Speaker 7: Be, Okay, okay, Okay well DO i send that to your email AND i could get that off the.
Speaker 4: Web well, no it's not on the, web But i'll put you on hold and my productioner will give it to you and you can send me send me the. Photos then, okay all, right thank you. Lot appreciate, It, GenAm you take. Care appreciate. That by the, way if you're going to do in your, lawn if you're going to do a premer and herbicide to stop warm season weeds and you haven't done it, yet go ahead and get it. Done if you're going to do, it get it done, now because every week that goes, by especially the week we're about to get, into these next three days are going to be very warm and weeds are going to be sprouting. Everywhere SO i would say, today put down some, barricade watered in half inch of water to stop whatever you, can because it's getting too, warm they're sprouting and we got to get ahead of time or it's. Not you, know it doesn't help to use a pre emergent after the weeds have all come up and were. Growing they're for preventing, weeds not for killing existing. Weeds so barricade. Works it does. Work follow the. Label follow the label in terms of the rate and how you apply it and the fact that you water it, in don't wing. It follow the. Label where do you get barricade and other night to foss, Products, well you can find it at an intentive forest down there in The Richmond rosenberg. Area Langham Creek Ace hardware ON fm five twenty. Nine Is ano a good place to get. That you're going to find him at Ash Hardware city On Memorial, drive AT rcw On interstate forty five and Not interstate forty five on two forty nine and Belt way Eight Tomball park wind Belt wait eight also carries Night fresh products like the. Barricade let's go To gerald. Now Hello, Gerald welcome to Garden.
Speaker 1: Line good, Morning good.
Speaker 9: MORNING i just had a quick. QUESTION i planted Some Florida king.
Speaker 1: Peaches last.
Speaker 9: Year they did, well they, produced but this year there's lots of. Blooms the peaches are coming, on but no leaves.
Speaker 4: Hardly, Okay, well that is.
Speaker 8: That's.
Speaker 4: Unusual Florida king is a very low chill variety and that's why you know it bloomed. Out and if it bloomed and set fruit that ought to be followed by leaves in the, past has the tree been more normal.
Speaker 9: For, you, yes, yes, NOW i did fertilize them about three weeks to. Go and what's kind of crazy, too, though is my my pear Trees i've put out they're. Blooming i'm not bloom excuse. Me they have leaves all over the look, great.
Speaker 1: But, no, no no.
Speaker 9: Blues and So i'm just dealing with that.
Speaker 1: TOO i don't.
Speaker 4: Know, well that's a whole different. Thing they're. Pairs sometimes when they go through a stressful summer at the, end they'll do a late summer early fall bloom because of the. Stress and when they do, that that was the blooms that would have been their next. Spring so next spring you don't get blooms on a pair that can, happen or at least you don't get as many on, there but on the, peaches on the peaches. Themselves just give them a little more. Time if they came out and, bloomed then they should be. Fine we had enough chilling this, year definitely enough chilling For florida king super low chill. Variety SO i think your peaches are going to be. Okay just be a little more patient with, them and if you need any follow, up send me a. Picture we'll look at, it But i'd give them a few more weeks BEFORE i start getting.
Speaker 9: Concerned, Okay, Yes and the THING i want to ask, you at the very bottom of the peach, Trees i'm getting a lot of, growth.
Speaker 4: You, know like stems coming, up you, know like some of.
Speaker 8: Ours, yes all is two three foot?
Speaker 9: Tall SHOULD i?
Speaker 4: Go you cut those?
Speaker 13: Off?
Speaker 4: Yes, absolutely and cut them as close to the trunk as you. Can try to almost gouge that out at the base because right around the base of those shoots are a million, buds and if you print them off and leave like an inch on, them you're just gonna have five more shoots that come up where you cut that one. Off so try to almost gouge them out in terms of just cutting that whole base where it swells, up where the branch attaches at the. Bottom get all of that out of, there and then when the minute of sprout starts to, grow just reach. Down you can rub a little tender scratching rub off with your. Finger but, anyway, yeah take care of. That, hey thanks for the, CALL i appreciate, it and good luck getting ahead on those. THINGS Ace hardware stores are all over The Greater, houstonario AND ace hardware stores carry everything you. Need what do you? Need do you need, Fertilizer they've got. Them do you need the kind of talk about on? Guardline they've got. It are you dealing with weeds pre emergent post? Emergent are you dealing with insects or Pass they've got everything that you need like. That they have all the equipment. Too you, know whatever you need to make your, garden your, lawn your landscape look its. Best maybe some pruning sheares or. Whatever you got it there AT Ace. Hardware now there's a lot OF ace hardware stores in our. Area you can go To Ace Hardware texas dot com and find the ones near. You fullshure has AN Ace hardware store out there on three point fifty. Nine brenham has AN Ace hardware store up On North Austin parkway In. Brenham you're gonna find one down In wharton On Richmond, Road wartonfeed And ace down, There Langham, Creek Ace hardware on five twenty, Nine, Spring Ace hardware On Spring Cyprus, Road Hamilton hardware On highway Six. Arch see What i'm talking. About there's lots OF ace hardware. Stores easy to find. Them go To Ace Hardware texas Dot. Com let's, See i've got to take a litle break. Here i'm overloaded. Here, Okay, Joan magnolia And Gene Deer. Park you're gonna be our first two up when we come.
Speaker 3: Back you you you all?
Speaker 4: Right that's a. Jr they were at The Houston Livestock show this. YEAR i started to mention that earlier when they were, here but they actually had them at The Houston Livestock. Show, violin all, right there we. Go, Hey we're going to go straight out To Magnolia texas and talk To. Joe, Hey, Joe welcome to Garden. Line, hey good, Morning. SKIP i have a quick question for you about my. BLACKBERRIES i have put the bushes in last, year, right and they look. GREAT i did not trim them back over the winter because they stayed green all winter. Long and now they're coming off beautiful flowers and lots of green. Fruit but before the green turns, black they turned brown and dry. Up what's going? On there are some diseases that can do. That there is a disease that really you don't have a control far that can cause that to. Happen with some of the older types of. Blackberries the new ones generally are bread to not have the same prob with some of the diseases that the older ones. Do there's also something that is kind of a sunburn on a, berry where the sun can cause a berry to kind of it's almost like one of the drooplets on the individual little berries on the cluster sort of die and turn tan and sink. Down but it's going to be one or the. Other with a, PHOTO i could probably tell you the difference between the. Two the main thing is you're not gonna do anything about, it so, it you, know kind of is what it. Is replacing varieties may be helpful depending on which of those causes that you're dealing. With what do you know what variety you? Have, WELL i don't want to send you do that just. Yet, okay send me a picture of. It i'll put you on hold here in a bit and my producer will give you an. Email let me see when it's doing. It send me a couple of pictures up really, close but check the. Focus make sure they're well. Focused i'll take a look at them and IF i see anything else on, THERE i can tell. You stink bugs can also pierce the skin of the little berries individual. Berries of, course they've got a little needlelike mouth part like a, mosquito and they put their mouth in there and they essentially inject something that kills that berry and it starts to do what you're describing, too so that could also be a. Problem, okay, Okay i'll send you some. Pictures all, Right, joe thanks a, lot appreciate.
Speaker 1: That thank.
Speaker 4: You you take, yeah you take. Care Wild Birds unlimited is an outstanding store for everything birds and right now we are in a, big big time nesting season for, birds and that's Why wildbirds created Their Nesting. Superblend, now this is a special. Feat it's got all kinds of high quality things like, sunflower chips and peanuts and meal. Worms birds love, mealworms, bark butter, bits sap. Flower you. Know it also has calcium, too by the, way which is needed for not only the skeletal, development but also for the. Egg you lay an, egg you got to have a lot of calcium to create that, eggshell And nesting Super blend has that and it works in all kinds of. Feeders you can also buy it in a, cylinder you, know those hardened round kind of looks like one of those big candles you buy for the house that's you, know four inches across or more depending on the sized cylinder you, buy and the birds peck the seeds out of. That you can go that, route which is kind of good when you're going to go on vacation and the birds have something to eat while you're, gone or you can spy it loose to put in the. Feeders it works in all kinds of, feeders whether it's that are squirrel proof. Feeder they called The, eliminator that's the name of. It The eliminator From Wildbirds, unlimited my favorite feeder they. HAVE i just added a hopper feeder called The Classic Eco Tough Hopper. Feeder, beautiful recycled, materials lasts, forever, excellent excellent. Product all of these are wildbirds. Now The wadbird's. Unlimited the the hummingbird. Feeder it's time to get those out. Too, hummingbirds the early HUMMINGBIRDS i remembers starting to come. Through we're entering that season where we get the fly throughs coming in here and you want them to stop and hang out a. While the high perch hummingbird. Feeder the top covers, red the bottom is. Clear it's very easy for them to get. To it works really really. Well it's got a little built in ant moat so little ants can't crawl down and get to the sugary water on, it which really works. Well. Now it also gives you a real better view of the. Birds you can see the birds from all angles on. IT i have a high perch feed or two in, which by the, WAY i need to get my input out. There wilbirds will also sell you a material that you put in the hummingbird mix that helps it last a little. Longer you, know we get into hot weather every couple of, days you really ought to be switching that sugary water out because it'll go bad on, you just like you would expect sugar water to do outdoors in the. Heat but these extra material you can purchase From wildbirds will make it last a little bit. Longer WHICH i use that in mind just BECAUSE i think it works really. Well Wild Birds unlimited there are six Wild Birds unlimited stores near. You you're going to find them all over the place here in The Greater houston, area no matter where you. Live out in Clear, Lake kingwood to the, northeast down south In, Pearland South houston on Bel, Air Southwest. Houston there is a store up In. Cypress there's a store In West houston On memorial and down in Clear. Lake all examples of Wild bird's locations near. You now go TO wbu dot com forward Slash houston to find the Wild bird's unlimited store near. You let's set out To Deer park now and talk To. Gina, Hey, gina welcome To.
Speaker 7: Ardline Oh, Skip i'm so. Sorry i'm on home to speak to your.
Speaker 4: Producer oh, okay, okay all, right all, right well he just took you back from.
Speaker 1: Me there we.
Speaker 4: Go all, Right, well if you would like to call, it looks LIKE i got an opening seven one three two one two k t R h seventh one three two one two kt R. H i was telling you earlier About microlife's green, bag the one we use most often for our. Lawns it's a six to two four And Microlife humates plus that is the purple. Bag it is concentrated compost in a. Bag that's the simplest way to put. It, basically here's what happens to organic. Materials they fall on the, ground they start to. Decay they become the equivalent of. Compost then they keep decay in they become, humus one of the final states of organic matter, decomposition and at that stage they are very helpful for building soil, structure for supporting microbial, activity and just for making a soil. Richer that's the final. Stage and humates plus is concentrated compost in a. Bag so you don't, go, well DO i fertilize or DO i use humates? Plus they're separate. Things you do the fertilization that's a green. Bag you do humates. Plus as you do that year by, year over, time you're making the soil better and better by adding that humus to the. Soil and the better your grass, grows the better it builds its soil. Too and so that combination of improved turf health by gradually fertilizing the way nature does creates that kind of lawn that you're looking, for and microlife is the product That i'm talking about. Here for both of those, examples we're going to now go out To willis and talk To. Walter, Hey, walter welcome to garden. Line oh, OKAY i JUST i just lost, Him, walter you need to call. Back we had a glitch there and we lost you as we were trying to pick you. Up so all, right there we.
Speaker 9: Go.
Speaker 4: Yeah, well if you haven't been out To Enchanted gardens in a, while that is the Garden. Center if you're down In, Richmond rosenberg or up In, katie you head toward the, other you, know go north From, Rosenberg, richmond go south From katie fullsher, area and you will find In Chanty gardens ON fm three fifty. NINE fm three fifty nine been around since nineteen ninety, FIVE i, believe and it. Is it's a. Wonderland you. Know you walk, up your jaw drops because there's plants everywhere as far as you can. See and you how AM i ever going to look at all these? Plants, well that's not even counting the pottery that they. Have that's not even how are you gonna get into the gift shop and look at all the cool stuff in? There i'm telling you they have it all. There and you know HOW i, say before the plants comes to. Soil right when you leave In Chanta, gardens you can go home With. Microlife you can go home With, nitrofosh you can go home With nelson Plant food And. Medina you can go home with soil From nature's. Way you can go home with soil from landscaper's, pride from airloom. Soils they carry all those brands there add In Chanda gardens the Website Enchented Gardens richmond dot Com Enchanted Gardens richmond dot. Com they're Open monday Through, saturday eight to five today from ten to four today this afternoon be a good time to get out there because we are going to have three days of some of the best garden whether we've seen yet coming, up and our plants is gonna be warm enough to where everything is taken off and waking. Up you, know up to, now your lawn has been like a teenager On saturday. Morning you, know if you see signs of life before, noon you're. Lucky but this week the lawn's going to be waking up and taking. Off you need to be ready to go for, that and your flower beds as, well and you can do all. That In Chenna GARDENS fm three fifty, Nine katie fullsher side Of Richmond. Rosebert all, right we're going to go now To walter And. Willis, Hey, walter we got you this.
Speaker 12: Time well this Is, walter But i'm not thank.
Speaker 4: Yous oh, okay Well, walter where are? You where are?
Speaker 12: You, Well i'm In Jersey.
Speaker 4: Village all, right we'll talk to you. Anyway how can we Help, well.
Speaker 12: You were talking to a lady yesterday about tulip trees and in the context of magnolia's, only AND i just wanted to comment that there is a tulip tree that is not a. Magnolia that is.
Speaker 4: True it's a big old shade, Tree, yeah.
Speaker 12: Tulipoplar BUT i haven't seen any here in The houston. Area we had them in a yard in The, WASHINGTON dc area they Like, yeah they grow fifty sixty feet.
Speaker 4: Tall, yeah they are, huge AND i don't. Know i've never tried grown down. HERE i was In missouri for three years and we had some beautiful ones. There the blooms aren't anything to write home, about but they are. Pretty they're not like a magnolia. Bloom tulip poplars are nice.
Speaker 12: Trees they're kind of pretty high up, too so, yeah and kind.
Speaker 4: Of a pale pale, color so they don't stand out as much as a big white bloom would would. Do, so, yeah that's.
Speaker 12: TRUE i figured that they probably have one of the problems that northern trees With, texas so the summers are too, long too, hot and too many dry periods in the winters are not long.
Speaker 8: Enough.
Speaker 4: Yeah, well that's a problem that northern transplant people and us who already live here have With texas is the linked and heat of the. Summer when you get up in the morning to go to work and at seven point thirty you're walking to the car and you're already sweating before you make it to the, car that's a. Problem, walter thanks for the. CALL i appreciate that a. Lot thank. You you take. Care all, right let's see, here it's time for. Me in just a, second we're going to take a, break So, Mariana i'm going to be taking you right after we come back from the. Break that is, important you. Know year Round houston dot com is the place you. GOT i was just sending someone there. Yesterday year Round houston Dot com is specialists when it comes to core aeration and compost top, dressing and they cover the area, primarily they cover the area inside The, beltway, okay Around, houston the Inner, beltway inside The beltway Of. Houston and what they do is they use quality, products quality, machinery so they a good core aeration removal out of your. Lawn drop those cores on the, surface let them melt into the surface where they will reduce thatch better than anything. Does the cor ooration is a way to get rid of it if you got compaction. Especially you need this done year. Round houston dot, Com year, Round houston dot com eight three two eight eight four fifty three thirty. Five all, right yodling chickens can only mean one. Thing the chicks are in at Dand feed And supply up In. Tomble i'm sorry, MUSICALLY i just got to get weird every now and. THEN d And De feed And tumbull three miles west Of highway two forty nine ON fm twenty nine. Twenty that is the place to. Get you, know they've been around since what nineteen eighty? Nine that over, FAMILY i believe it opened it back in nineteen eighty, nine and the place just keeps getting. BETTER i mean it really. Does you go there and you know you won't take care of your lawn. Well Nitro fross, products airloom soils for, soil types of, Products microlife for the, lawn turf star By nelson for the Lawn nelson plant, food and the Jars medina. FERTILIZERS i, MEAN i could go on and. On Dandy feed has got everything you. Need you you're in control, weeds even looking for something that's not very common that you, know a product for special kind of weed. Situation they've got. It insect, control disease. Control and then of course it's a feed, store food for, livestock food for other pets and, dogs especially the high end lines Like origin And diamond And victor And Star. Pro but right now they are still in the big middle of their spring chick. Arrivals and This thursday they got to believe unless the schedules, change they got An american of pullets coming in And Hatter's Choice Silky bantam's straight run Silky. Bantam you've ever seen a silky bantam? Chicken they're pretty. Cool, WELL i was like looking at the list because it's, LIKE i never heard of. This have you ever heard of a sapphire, splash a blue lace wine, dot A sicilian buttercup that it sound like a, chicken that sounds like a nineteen forties movie. STARLETTERS i don't know what that, is silver lace wy and, dots cream leg bar, pullets Black austra, LARPs starlight green. EGGER i, mean come, on, man we could do this all. Day olive egger, Pullets sapphire olive egger pullets are. Good you gotta go by there and just just check out these these. CHICKS d AND d. Feeds the police rote the. Chicks it's a great. Place that'll be On friday the rest of us and they'll continue doing, this getting chicks all the way in at least well Into, april if not. Longer in, FACT i think they believe go all the way into Early. May all, RIGHT d And de feed. Place you gotta. Go, uh we're gonna go now out to the phones and talk To mario Or. Mariano excuse me in the. Woodlands, Hey, Mariano i'm doing. Good i'm doing. Good how can we help? Today?
Speaker 21: HEY i bought a couple of avocado trees and la and a, bacon AND i got him and the one of the fags says that we are not allowed to. Dry but THEN i keep reading other places that it says do not water unless it's you put it dry to the.
Speaker 8: Touch which one is?
Speaker 4: It, okay, well it's it's. Both, avocados like a lot of, plants they don't want to be, dry so if you don't water, enough they're going to suffer that drought. Damage and especially with a young plant getting, started that's significant because you need to get a good root system down so it can be a more, resilient drought tolerant, plant so early, on don't let them dry. Out at the same, time if you have so much water that the roots can't get oxygen they're drowning in, water then that is very deadly and you get root rots and other things that. Happen so yours are? Yours did you tell me they're in? Potstill or are you planted the?
Speaker 21: Beds we went from the three we wt in three gallum pots and now they're in five gallum.
Speaker 4: Pots, okay as long as you have good drainage holes and a decent soil in, there you're probably not going to overwater them because the excess water runs out the. Bottom SO i wouldn't worry as much about that as letting them get. Dry and a confined system like a container an avocado, tree as it starts heating, up they're gonna pump the water. Out you may be water in those five gallon pots twice a day by the time we get into, summer so, uh be extra careful on the, drought, yeah because it they pump a lot of, water you, know avocados get big and the lots of big old leaves out there pumping out. Water so, uh just take good care of. Them you're gonna put them in the, ground or you're gonna try to keep.
Speaker 21: THEM i Think i'm going to keep him in the pots of lists for our little quite, longer so that you, know if the freeze, COMES i can move him.
Speaker 4: Indoors, okay all, Right Well i'm hoping we're done with freezes for, now but we'll be back in them again next.
Speaker 8: Year so here you.
Speaker 4: Go all, right all, right, thanks thanks for the. CALL i appreciate that a. Lot you take. Care let's see, here where are we we? Are, gosh we're Getting we're gonna head on. Out let's go to a tuck To. Brandon, Hey, brendan welcome to garden.
Speaker 12: Line, hey thank.
Speaker 4: You.
Speaker 9: Hey the QUESTION i have is my wife is doing a bunch of cut flowers as well as some, vegetables and we're using landscape timbers for the raised beds and two by six is just you.
Speaker 1: Stuff that we.
Speaker 9: Had But i've got access to a bunch of old cross ties that are obviously.
Speaker 8: CREOSODED i guess whatever they dream with, now are they?
Speaker 1: Safe not?
Speaker 9: Safe but can you use those for those type of beds or does that? Chemical will it harm what she's?
Speaker 4: Doing you're talking about flowers and, things, Right, yes, yeah you can use. It you, know long ago they kind of went out of favor because number, one if the tie is a little on the fresh, side you sit down on and you get that creaso tar on your on your clothes and. Skin BUT i long ago had railroad tie beds THAT i grew things. In IF i were going edible, Vegetables i'm not saying it would hurt you to do, it BUT i would probably stay away from, it or put a plastic liner between the soil and the. TIES i haven't studied all the research on, it but the last TIME i, checked there is some leaking into the soil around the edges of those, ties and you'd like to avoid. That but it's not going to hurt the. Plants the plants will just grow roots elsewhere, Too and so your flowers and anything you grow in there is going to be, okay as far as a plant health it self is, concerned, okay.
Speaker 9: Okay, well AND i think that was her biggest concern is she's the soil that's she's built up over the last, year that sort of, thing that it may it may leap out and ruin those, things or that the flowers wouldn't grow, appropriately et.
Speaker 4: Cetera but so using those maybe just as.
Speaker 9: A safety, barrier just put a little.
Speaker 4: Plastic up between it and the, soil especially if you were going to grow something you're going to. Eat you, know that would just be a little extra precautionary. Measure but LIKE i, Said i've seen people grow and railroad tie beeds for years and it's not like the plants are dying in the beds are, growing and so it's not as big of a. Concern now we're we. Shifted we went to treated, lumber and the early treated lumber was especially, toxic and then they changed the treating chemicals and now the modern treated lumber as not as. Concern but people still have those concerns AND i just tell them we'll put a piece of plastic in there to keep the soil away from the timbers and then you know you're.
Speaker 1: Good, okay all, right thank you.
Speaker 4: Sir all, Right, bren you take. Care thanks for la. Call you are listening. To you are listening To gardenline our phone number seven one three two one two KTR h seven one three two one two k t R. H give me a. Call we're running short on time, here but to take a little break here in just a, second and then we'll be back for our last segment of the. Day in the. Meantime Nitroposs Super turf silver bag slow. Release that's what you. Need remember Super turf in the silver bag nineteen four to. Ten you put it, out you're gonna get about four months of release out of, that a nice, gradual even. Release it's an outstanding. Product the basic chemistry of the design of this product is such that it works very well in our soils For Saint, augustine bermuda and zoisio grass in this, hot humid climate that we, have and you get a, nice, good even release over. Time you're gonna find these and other night FoST products at places like THE m AND d In On beamer in A sagemont Area Lake hardware down In angleton On. Glasco also the lic hardware include On Dixie. Drive another place that you can Get nitrofosh, products as is The Ace hardware In Sinkle ranch AND m AND d up In cyprus On. Lubetta all, right time for me to take a. Break we'll be right. Back, hey welcome back to Guard. Line welcome back to Guard. Line good to have you with, Us The Lollman. Brothers. Music when you hear these, songs these range of types of music and, songs does it ever take you back to? Somewhere music does?
Speaker 12: That you?
Speaker 4: KNOW i can hear a, song there's an old. Song it doesn't matter which one it. Is there's an, old old song that you never hear. Anymore but when OCCASIONALLY i hear, IT i am fishing on The Copona Bay bridge in the middle of the night In, Rockport texas as a small. Child i'm. Serious i'm serious because we sat one night fishing on the bay bridge all night and that thing played over and over and over and over again through the night on the. Radio and that takes me back to. That music has a way of doing, that WHICH i think is kind of. Cool no matter what your music preferences and tastes. Are let's do this let's go out To. Seabrook first thing here and we're going to go talk To. John, Hey, john welcome to Garden.
Speaker 1: Line thank.
Speaker 4: YOU i had a question last.
Speaker 15: Year my landscaper piled a mulch up against my palm, tree And i've read since then that it's bad for the palm, tree SO i pulled it. Back What i'm finding is a bunch of little roots coming out of the trunk of the palm. Tree and my question is recover that or SHOULD i trim those little roots? Off but how SHOULD i handle?
Speaker 4: This, yeah you don't need to worry about. It get the mulch away from. There it's not doing it any. Good and palm trees do that at the. Base if you keep them a little, wet they'll or pile up some. Stuff they'll start sending roots out into them because basically palm is a grass. Plant it really. Is even though we say, tree it's just it's only a tree because it gets big to, us, Right but it's a type of grass, plant and so they will form those roots at the, base just like corn stalks at the base will send roots out like. That corn is of grass, Too so you don't need to cut them. Off you can just ignore. Them and now that you've seen, it as you go around town and, stuff look at the base of palms and you'll often see those little root initial that's what they're, called little stubby roots coming out near the, base down low on the. Trunk it's a natural, thing nothing to worry.
Speaker 1: About, okay thank you very, much.
Speaker 4: You bet take. Care thanks for the. Call appreciate. That good to visit with you all right. Here, yeah that is interesting. Thing, yeah people don't think about that is a palm tree is a grass. Plant that basically is what it. Is it's not a broad leaf it's not a broad leaf. Plant it's a grass type. Plant and unusual things happened from time to. TIME i was talking to the folks yesterday at The Cipher home And Garden, show which was, wonderful by the. Way they did a great job up, there and we were talking about the fact that you, know you, know you think you've seen it, all and the MINUTE i tell you on garden, line now you can't grow A i don't, know blue spruce tree here In. Houston somebody's going to call in and GO i got one waggen tell you it's suffering it's ugly and it's probably not going to make, it but, okay you got. One but plants can't, read and that that is unfortunate because you can read things in books that say things about, plants and the plants can't, read so they don't know. That they don't. Know they can't grow. Here and no matter what it, is we gardeners are going to find a way to stretch the zone and make it. Happy you, know, Well i've got a neighbor across the street that has a huge greenhouse and he has mango trees growing in the greenhouse and other. Tropicals that's. Right, yeah you can't grow mango trees like that. Here yeah you can if you go to some great links to do. It what a, Fun what a fun. Hobby let's go to spring and talk To. Deborah, Hey, deborah welcome to Garden. Line.
Speaker 7: Hi, HI.
Speaker 4: I can help you to find.
Speaker 5: Out, OH i just wanted to find out if the message weed killer will kill babs in a flower.
Speaker 4: Garden Uh, no generally. Not the nuts edge product that you need to use contains halo sulfur. On halo sulfur on and that product is labeled for use in the. Lawns it's not labeled for use in flower. Gardens but to my, KNOWLEDGE i don't know that bulbs are one of the products or one of the plants that it can. Kill SO i guess What i'm telling you Is i'm giving you two different answers at the same. Time one, IS i don't think it'll hurt, Them but number two is you're not allowed to use it in flower. Beds so if you use, it you're taking the risk yourself to do. That you know What i'm. Saying, yes, Yeah so no company is going to say use Our no company is going to say use our product in a non labeled. Way they would never do. That so if you call them and, said, hey a product kill my they, go, well you shouldn't have used it in the flower. Bed that's what's going.
Speaker 7: To, happen all, Right, okay so just take my.
Speaker 4: Chances, YEAH i would try it on just a little bit and, see maybe get it on a little one, bulb leave for, something and see if you see any problems with it before you do the whole. Thing that would be. Smart But i'm Not, AGAIN i want to be, Clear i'm not recommending non labeled uses because that's outside the label and the. Law what was your other? Question?
Speaker 1: Question you bet.
Speaker 5: We out here we have this really insidious weed that you can pull it all you, want but it produces ten million, speeds so you're never getting rid of. It and SO i bought training AND i, thought, Well i'll just mix it with the weed Speed. AGAIN i just read on the label that it's not for usage, Lawn so.
Speaker 7: CAN i use it the?
Speaker 13: Lawn?
Speaker 4: Now prene is labeled for flower, beds AND i want to Say prene is tref land or it may be pendum. Ethylene but, Anyway i'll uh let, Me i'll hunt it, down and, no you can't use it in the. Lawn. Uh you know, What to really help, YOU i need to see that weed because what the way you described it is that it produces lots of seeds pretty much describes about eight hundred weeds that we could have in our lawn. Here so if you can show me a picture of, it THEN i would be happy, to you, know determine which weed it is and tell you how to go about controlling, it the best way to go about controlling.
Speaker 8: It, Okay, okay.
Speaker 4: So just, yeah take some pictures of. It make sure if you need. To it may be helpful to pull some of the weeds up and bring them inside and set them on a dark tabletop and take some good close up pictures and really sharp. Focus by the, way prene is trifloraln and that you can use. It you can't use a product not labeled in an area that is not labeled. In but, anyway send me a. Picture of what we'll do is we'll talk about is there a pre emergent way to control? It is there a post emergent way to control? It but, remember on all, weeds the denture your, lawn the fewer problems you. Have so your number one goal this, year before we even talk about, herbicides is to, mow water and fertilize and get that lawn nice and dense and beautiful and choke out most of the weed.
Speaker 8: Problems, Right but.
Speaker 5: This one grows up on top of the, grass so it's just, Okay.
Speaker 4: Well there are weeds that can coexist in a Dense Saint augustine, lawn that's for. Sure, okay all, Right i'm Gonna i'm gonna put you on hold right, Now, deborah and our producer will give you an. Email make sure the pictures are close and then really sharp. Focus all, right take. Care that's somebody else had joined the call. There all, right well you have been listening to Guard line. Today we're about to close shop here kind of reach the end of the of the. TIME i want to remind you That i'm going to be At cienamultch Next. Saturday Next, Saturday Ciena. Maltch Ciena maltch is down in Near, Sienna, texas down south Of. Houston so if you want to know exactly where it, is i'd we can do it two. WAYS i can do it this, WAY i can, say, well it's ON fm READY fm five twenty, one or a better way is go To cienamultch dot. Com that's their website and find out exactly where it's. Located they got the phone numbers and everything, there and you can learn about the event coming. Up it's going to be a real cool shin day Next, saturday so make plans for. That all of you way down south that whole region from The Gulf coast up To, houston come see me At. Sanamlch i'm going to run out now see if we have time to talk To carla And. Richmond, Hey, carla welcome to Guard. Line good.
Speaker 10: Morning do you have a suggestion for getting rid of black city mold on a?
Speaker 5: CRATE i, MEAN i know what caused.
Speaker 4: You, yeah to get rid of, it you can spray kind of a soapy water solution on, there let it set a, while and because it's, grown it's growing on a kind of a, hardened dried sugary, substance sticky sugary, substance and so let it sit for a while and then blast it off with a strong stream of. Water it's not a night and day difference, effect but that's the best thing you can. Do some people will even take a, brush a real soft brush with soapy water in a bucket and just kind of rub it on the trunk and branches and, things and you can wash it off kind of that way. Too it's, tedious but, uh that's that's the best to get rid of the black once it's already gotten on the.
Speaker 1: Tree would a solution of chlorox hurt the?
Speaker 4: Tree it, could especially the green growing. Parts, yeah got?
Speaker 3: It, okay thank?
Speaker 4: You, yeah all, Right, carl thanks a. Lot you have a good. Week thank. You, well here we. Are we are putting another one in the. Books it's been a, really really good. MORNING i enjoyed visiting with. You remember my, website Gardeningwith skip dot. Com the schedules are, there a lot of other good information is, there and we're in the process of putting some more things. Up AS i get those publications ready to, go they're going to be on the. Website so questions about, nuts edge control and whatnot that's already there on the Website gardening With skip dot. Com