Speaker 1: Eight, twenty nine to fifty five krc DE Talk station Tuesday. At this time we always do the Deep Dive with retired Lieutenant Colonel Daniel Davis, talk military strategy, talk about Ukraine and Russia. Nothing to talk about today, is there, Daniel, Welcome back, my friend. Yeah, so little has been having it up. There is just We're gonna have to work hard, but I bet we can do it. I bet we can. You know, the we obviously are gonna be talking about this, this surprising and what I perceived to be phenomenally successful drone attack. I my the parallel I've drawn, and I know I'm not the only one that drew it. It reminded me a lot of the Israelis blowing up all the members of Hamas with the cell phones and the communication devices, well organized, planned in advance, and unbelievably well timed and successful. We had the same kind of thing. I mean, they from all reports, they planned this for the last eighteen months. They were able to secretly shuttle in these drones and these you know, prepared shelters that with the roofs that popped off on remote control. The drones launched in close proximity to the targets. And for for what I understand is for a couple one hundred dollars drone multiplied by a large factor, they were able to do about seven billion dollars in damage the Russian aircraft. That's pretty darn impressive. But does it mean that Ukraine will win the war? Headline and the Wall Street Journal op edps by Bernard Henry Levy drone attack shows why Ukraine will win this war. And something suggests to me that you're not going to agree with mister Levy on that one.
Speaker 2: Oh man, No, I definitely hadn't seen that one. We'll definitely go look forward after we get off the air here. Yeah, but that is that is sheer fantasy. But let's let's first of all focus on what happened, because you said and by all accounts, and I'm certainly in agreement, this was a spectacularly executed operation on its own right because it was done for such a long period of time, It was done with the cooperation of men any at least Sopar. It's been reported actual Russian citizens as well, people they recruited, et cetera, got to turn and to help Russia inside.
Speaker 1: Knowing what they were doing uh, and.
Speaker 2: Then to keep it all secret for that long, and then to have it on multiple locations hence the name spider web because it was all these different links to get together, and then to have the sophistication, the technological savvy to to be able to get through any kind of attempt to block signals, for example from the Russian side, to have it without being intercepted so that Russia didn't know what was going on. All that together was just really really successful. But then we have to get to the to the consequence of it, and other than being a real uh, you know, bloody eye or black eye for for Putin, it's not going to have any impact on the front line and the war that's going on were By the way, overnight Russia also continues to have significant progress going forward in the Sumi region. No one wants to talk about that on the Ukraine side because they want to bask in the glory of this. But the bottom line is what has this gain you? And so far I've seen that it has angered the Russian side. It has made more of the senior people in the Kremlin. And by the way, there's lots of reports that there is a lot of debate within the upper echelon of the Russian Kremlin and their leadership that they want to respond much much stronger than Putin does. Putin still apparently is looking for some kind of you know, non provocative it's not going to escalate better phrase, it's not going to escalate it and get the NATO drawn in. But it's also strong enough. And apparently they haven't come to a conclusion because they haven't said almost anything about it. But yeah, it ain't gonna win the war for the Ukraine side, no matter what anybody wants.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I actually fully expected an almost immediate retaliation. I don't know if you read the same thing I've read where you get your sources, but they had a massed about fifty thousand additional troops on the border there the Russians did. I figured that they would just be unlea east into Ukraine and add to the already established zones that Russia is controlling right now.
Speaker 2: Well, you know, what we've seen though, is that Russia is very strategically minded and patient, and they have been from the outset and they have done things that issue near term setbacks in order to get something big later on. For example, in the Hiirson area, they willingly withdrew all their forces across the Dnepa River and surrendered all that territory to the Ukraine side because they calculated that they couldn't hold it, knowing that it would be a huge media victory for the other side and they would get the territory, but it would preserve combat power for later on, and it played out that way. Is that helped Russia win the Battle of Bakm later on. This place here, those troops have been there already. They're already part of this northern offensive that Russia has probably already started. So they're not gonna, you know, rush into a new fight here. It's different than the slow pace they have because they want to preserve their troops and maximize the firepower to inflict casualties on the Ukraine side. So they're not going to change that. The only thing that might come is maybe some big spectacular missile strikes into strategic targets where they haven't hit before, maybe in a Russnic missile, you know, something that literally no one can stop at this point. But there may not be any of that either. In fact, one of Putin's former advisors was went on the air almost immediately on a Western show and said that he didn't think there would be any because he said, look, this is like the one hundredth time a Russian airbase has been attacked in the last two years. It's just the first time it's had this kind of success. So it's embarrassment, but it's not going to keep the take their eye off the ball of what they're doing. Well, that could be how it's going to work out.
Speaker 1: The broader implications of the success of this attack kind of have me worried. First off, I guess we have to view this through the lens of how this illustrates the changing dynamic of warfare, much in the same way usage of drone over the past military conflicts we've been in since drones have been used sort of reduce the need for manned aircraft. I mean, if you can send a million dollar drone in with no man in it and it can successfully complete a bombing operation, that's a lot better use of your resources than sending in a multi billion dollar F thirty five that's got a pilot in it that you got to worry about saving their lives. So that's one component. But this has me a little more worried from a domestic standpoint, A lot of concerns about China grabbing up all this land around our military bases. And I think it will be pretty damn easy in a country is free and as wide as our country for them to oh, maybe get a whole giant drone fleet and launch it whenever the hell they damn well please, like for example, when the lights go out the day they invade Taiwan.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, it's not just China. And by the way, you don't even have to own any land, as Russia just demonstrated. You just take point truck and it just nick. Russia is a lot more restrictive than the US in terms of movement, though it's actually much more open than people think, and you saw the results of it there. But of course here you can literally drive anywhere in our country. And I actually worry not as much about China, though that certainly is a big one on the front of the list. But you know, something like we talk about getting into a conflict with the cartails in Russia. In Mexico, we talked about sending in the special forces, like there's never going to be any consequence. But now we see that the opportunity here is so easy to do in so low cost. I fear that others may see what happened here and draw obvious conclusions. So I think that it's kind of like the genies out of the bottle here, and man, we better be figured out some kind of defense against this stuff as best we can right now.
Speaker 1: Well, we saw that nut job throw a milotov cocktails. Obviously for political reasons he hates the Jews and wants to kill all of them or something Looney Tunes like that. But also in the context of comments from the border security folks about the two million in god aways that we had no interaction. We don't know who they are, we don't know what they represent. Are they political? Are they perhaps cells that have formed and are just waiting for the orders to launch any particular given attack. I mean, that's a real problem for our country in a going forward basis.
Speaker 2: Yes, it always That's one of the reasons I've always been such an advocate, no matter who's in the White House, that we need to have our secure borders. I've always said to whatever your immigration policy is, y'all figure that out, and whatever the Congress and the system of governments or whatever we agree to. Whether everybody likes it or not, and they definitely won't, it doesn't matter. But whatever the law is, abide by it and enforce it so that we keep ourselves safe, so that whatever the decisions are, we don't get anybody in like you're talking now, where we don't even know who they are. And that's just an existing and a prevailing vulnerability of our country that we still have to some degree to this day.
Speaker 1: All right, and let's turn briefly back to Ukraine for part Company today, Daniel Davis. They still have a shortage of manpower that has not solved. The problem hasn't been solved in the week since we've talked last week. So that's the ongoing issue for Ukraine. I mean, successful drone strikes or not, they've got to keep guys on the front lines, and they have to have the hardware and equipment to be able to fight with the remaining people they have.
Speaker 2: Well, yeah, and that's why the headline like the one you sided in the Wall Street Journal is embarrassing and just humiliating because it doesn't even talk about what's actually going on the front line, which I mentioned in the Sumi area, it's continuing to going forward. Another point to make on this big strike here is that the consequence of that also have to be considered. In Russia, a lot of them are calling this their pearl harbor moment, that you know, they got this strike and whatever. And then there's in the news I saw this morning before coming on your show is one of the writers in one of the op eds of a military review in Russia said, this has been our pearl harbor. Now it's time for our midway. So they do want some kind of a big strike in return. And as we've pointed out on your show many times, and you just address here, the man power in balance alone, plus all the weapons, ammunition and everything else is still irrevocably and decisively on the Russian side. So these formations on the front are going to continue on, no matter what happened five thousand kilometers from the front.
Speaker 1: Any hope of them sitting down, it sounds like every time we hear that they're going to sit down and have some sort of talk to resolve this, it never does happen or nothing becomes of it. Russia can tell.
Speaker 2: You, you know, Brian, one of the most puzzling and maddening things about this situation is they had the second face to face meeting between Russia and Ukraine yesterday and his denbul Both sides entered by giving positions that were further apart than they were the previous time that they both knew the other side would categorically reject. And that's exactly the way it turned out, because in the bottom line is neither side wants to negotiated settlement. And that sounds odd because you would think that the Ukraine's side does because they claim they do. The Russian they claim they do. But you see that the Russians is like saying, yeah, if you agree to all these draconian terms, right, we'll stop fighting today, which means they have to withdraw from their the territories where they still have some troops, et cetera. You know, de militarization, denoxification, all these things they won't do or we said, we'll just keep fighting. And the Nabenzia, their Uman Security Council UN ambassador specifically said that at the UN Security Council a couple of days ago. But on the Ukraine side, you're like, wait a minute, you don't have anything to gain by this. If the negotiations fail, the offensive will continue on. And yet they sabotage this so that there was no way the Russians would agree to it. And so we have to really ask, and it's an open question, what is the Ukraine in the Western European side trying to get done here?
Speaker 1: Uh? A real quick question, because I know we're out of time. If let's say, you know, uh, a miracle occurred in Ukraine said okay, okay, okay, uh, we'll agree to demilitarize. Who would preside over, who would do the oversight that would provide sufficient you know, satisfaction for the Russians that they did in fact e militari? Is that a UN function? Is that an ATO function is a function of the Russians looking over it? I guess I'm just curious to how that would work functionally.
Speaker 2: Russia actually has addressed part of that question by saying it needs to be neutral observers, not NATO, not Russia, but like the OSSEE or even other entities from like maybe the Global South or something like that. So they actually have some working level issue on that. But it's not gonna be US and NATO. It's not gonna be you know, Russia and Belarus, et cetera. But I mean, I hope we get to the point to where we have to worry about that, that the fighting stops.
Speaker 1: Actually doesn't sound like we're e anywhere near it right now. Daniel Davis. Good to Deve Die with Daniel Davis. Search for the podcast where if you get it, and always tune in Tuesday at eight thirty for another great discussion my friend. Until next Tuesday, have a great week. Always my pleasure. See you next week, Brough, Take care brother. Eight forty one fifty five KC detalk station stick around. We're gonna be talking with Steve from you know Santillation coming up.