Speaker 1: This is Gary and Shannon and you're listening to KFI AM six forty, the Gary and Shannon Show on demand on the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 2: Remember the Navy fighter jet we told you about yesterday fell off the side of the USS Harry S.
Speaker 3: Truman parent emergency maneuver.
Speaker 2: The new details coming out say that this was a maneuver to evade a missile launched at the aircraft carrier by the Hoothies. Navy confirmed that a super Horner fen Fa eighteen E and the vehicle that was towing it fell into the Red Sea. The towing crew apparently lost control during operations there in the hangar bay, not up on the top deck. The pilot and the driver of the tow vehicle they were able to jump before the vehicles went in the water. Roughly sixty million dollars.
Speaker 4: This sounds like a cover our ass story.
Speaker 1: Hey, somebody screwed up a couple somebody screwed up, and that's what happened, and it was a very expensive screw up, and it's embarrassing as hell, and just leave it at that.
Speaker 2: Well, I can't imagine what the emergency maneuver they're claiming. Yeah, come on, give me a break You screwed up?
Speaker 3: All right?
Speaker 2: The President, the tariffs, Amazon, what is going on?
Speaker 3: It's time for a Gary and Channon show breakdown? So why doesn't somebody tell me what they think.
Speaker 5: Is going on?
Speaker 3: Those can be hard explain this to me like I'm a two year old.
Speaker 5: Okay, you need a breakdown with Gary and Shannon.
Speaker 4: It starts with.
Speaker 2: A report that Amazon was going to display the cost of tariffs next to the total price of products on its site. This was a question this morning posed to Caroline Levitt and Scott Bessen, the Treasury Secretary at the White House.
Speaker 6: So it was reported this morning that Amazon will soon display a little number next to the price of each product that shows how much the Trump tariffs are adding to the cost of each product. So isn't that a perfect crystal clear demonstration that it's the American consumer and not China is going to have to pay for these policies.
Speaker 7: I will take this since I just got off the phone with the President about Amazon's announcement. This is a hostile and political act by Amazon.
Speaker 3: Why did Amazon do this.
Speaker 7: When the Biden administration heighted inflation to the highest level in forty years? And I would also add that it's not a surprise because, as Reuters recently wrote Amazon, Amazon has partnered with a Chinese propaganda arm.
Speaker 1: Okay, go on, I was just going to say that the word hostile evokes a terminology that's used for war, a hostile act. Anyway, the administration's reaction, Amazon says was based on a misinterpretation of internal plans being considered by Amazon, rather than a final decision made by the company. They considered the idea Amazon's Hall did, that is their recently launched low cost storefront. They considered the idea of listing import charges on certain products, but this was never an approved idea.
Speaker 2: They also were looking at adding a separate line item to products on the Hall site in response to the removal of the dominimous trade loophole. That consideration was not related to the tariffs one hundred and forty five percent tariffs that we've seen on imports from China.
Speaker 3: Now.
Speaker 2: Punch Bowl News was the organization that originally reported that Amazon Big Amazon would soon in quotes, begin displaying the cost of tariffs alongside the price of each product, citing a source familiar with the company's plans. Again, as of right now, Amazon said it did consider displaying import charges, but that it was never approved and that it is quote not going to happen.
Speaker 1: Small businesses are having a tough go of this, not the Amazons of the world. They are reporting dwindling inventory, skyrocketing invoices, and the Trump administration has raised tariffs on goods from China to one hundred and forty five percent in early this month, early April. Now, he did say last week where we last left off with Trump, he said he expected the tariffs to come down substantially. And that is kind of what small businesses are laser focused on. When the back and forth causing a lot of problems when it comes to what is a bottom line without a lot of wiggle room with these businesses.
Speaker 2: The bigger businesses are getting some concessions. Trump is expected to soften the automotive tariffs. It would prevent duties on the foreign made cars from stacking on top of the other tariffs that he is imposed. So as of right now, the Wall Street Journal is reporting that automakers that pay the car tariffs will not be charged for other tariffs things like steel and aluminum. Move would also be retroactive, meaning that those car makers could be reimbursed for things that they've already paid. The twenty five percent tariff on finished foreign made cars went into effect earlier this month.
Speaker 1: The Treasury Secretary Scompssent says the goal there is to help automakers create more domestic manufacturing jobs.
Speaker 4: I don't know if that's going to happen.
Speaker 1: Well, we're okay in this department, so let's create more jobs.
Speaker 4: I don't see that happening.
Speaker 1: You're not getting that much savings to create jobs domestically, at least not at this point.
Speaker 2: And in the meantime, we're starting to see the very immediate effects of the tariff war in that the imports into the ports of LA and Long Beach are going down. An interview this morning Jean Soroca, who has one of the most polished speaking abilities I've heard in a long time, actually explains what we're going to see in the next couple of weeks here in LA and Long Beach.
Speaker 4: We'll talk about that when we come back.
Speaker 5: You're listening to Gary and Shannon on demand from KFI AM six forty.
Speaker 2: This was an interesting legal filing in the Sean diddy Combe's case. His legal team has claimed that he might not have been mentally capable of committing crimes. He might not have been mentally creative capable of committing crimes because substance.
Speaker 1: Abuse, and I would argue beloney and then present a treasure trove of evidence of all the businesses that he successfully.
Speaker 8: Ran while while Hi Hi are wasted, or what happened? He is locked up without bail. Of course, trial is set to begin May fifth. That's surprising, but prosecutors just a couple days ago had to file a motion to dispute any testimony that would suggest that he didn't have the mental capacity to break the law.
Speaker 1: Ship mints from China the west coast of our country are going to plummet next week. Before we get to the details on that, how about your chance at one thousand dollars Now?
Speaker 5: Your chance to win one thousand dollars Just enter this nationwide keyword on our website green.
Speaker 3: That's green, g R, E E N.
Speaker 5: Enter it now at KFIAM six forty dot com. Slash cash Howard by Sweet James Accident Attorneys. If you're hurting an accident, winning is everything called the Winning Attorneys at Sweet James. One eight hundred nine million, that's one eight hundred nine million or sweet James dot com that.
Speaker 2: Keyword green goes on the website. We'll do it again an hour from now. That is give you a chance to win one thousand bucks, So to pay attention. Geene Soroka, executive director of the Port of La gave an interview this morning CNBC, and he was talking about the impact that tariffs and the fight over tariff's potential trade war, et cetera, is going to have at the point of the spear when it comes to imports, which is the largest port on the West Coast.
Speaker 9: The ports of La and Long Beach should be down just a little bit over thirty five percent next week compared to last year. And it's a zipitus drop in volume with a number of major American retailers stopping all shipments from China based on the tariffs.
Speaker 2: The interesting thing I think about this is the way he described not just the port, but the shipping companies themselves trying to make up for this, because remember, China makes up the bulk of imports into our country. We get most of our stuff that he referred to it as China is our factory in that they produce so much so the shippers are going to try to go elsewhere perhaps and get other things to pick up before they come into the United States.
Speaker 9: Now, what we have heard in talking directly to CEOs and senior executives of the shipping lines is they'll try to add a couple of port calls in along the Southeast Asia routes where cargo is still moving, albeit at a ten percent tariff. But realistically speaking, until some accord or framework can be reached with China, the volume coming out of there, save a couple of different commodities, we'll be very light at best.
Speaker 4: Well, yeah, you want to leave everything where it is.
Speaker 1: You don't want to unpack it if it's going to cost you more to either buy it or sell it, right, So why would you have any sense of urgency? I would just leave things where they are until something gets ironed out here.
Speaker 2: Well, on this his description of how long it takes to iron things out is going to be important as well.
Speaker 1: And that's what goes back to what I was talking about the last segment with small businesses wondering, you know, with their inventory dwindling, is they don't want to buy new stuff at a heightened rate if they can wait because there's no wiggle room when it comes to the bottom line.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So if you are that small business that relies on raw materials from China or even finished products from China that you resell, does it make financial sense to try to find a new supplier in a place like Cambodia or Vietnam.
Speaker 9: Major American retailers put their orders into factories in Asia three or four months before a vessel even sales our way, which is an additional two week transit time. So simply shifting from your manufacturer in China over to Cambodia, Vietnam, Indonesia that quickly normally doesn't happen. There's some negotiations that have to take place in addition to finding the necessary capacity, because a lot of folks are running to these locations now to try to augment the loss of volume coming out of China.
Speaker 3: This guy has taken a public speaking class.
Speaker 8: Clearly is that name sounds very familiar? Soroka as head of La Port, I know who is now.
Speaker 2: And then he described this is what in terms of on the streets for consumers, what the impact would be. We are going to see a shrinking of materials, a shrinking of inventories, but we're not necessarily going to see empty shelves completely. Now I don't see a complete emptiness on store shelves or online what we're buying. But if you're out looking for a blue shirt, you might find eleven purple ones and one blue in a size that's not yours. So we'll start seeing less choice on those shelves simply because we're not getting the variety of goods coming in here based on the additional costs in place, and for that one blue shirt that's still left, you'll see a price hike. So if you're in the market for a blue shirt right now, he says there's about five to seven weeks, depending on the industry, five to seven weeks of inventory for just different products, and that if we don't see a lot of movement within the next couple of weeks, that's when you're going to start seeing things. As we get deeper into May, probably early to mid June is when we're going to start actually noticing some of the shortages that that have been threatened because of the tariffs. So and again the President has said this one hundred and forty five percent tariff on Chinese products will not last that that there will be some movement.
Speaker 3: We just don't know what sort of a timeline that is.
Speaker 2: We've also not been shown any of the deals that have been worked on right now between the United States and other countries outside of China that I think would have an impact at least on consumer sentiment, that they the feeling that something is being done.
Speaker 1: I don't know, because until they get to China, I mean, I don't really I don't know how much the deals with the smaller places or smaller trade organizations matter.
Speaker 2: I just think at least there would be some momentum. At this point. They keep talking about it and they're not showing any sort of progress.
Speaker 4: Yeah, So I don't know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that would be nice to see something, right, something tangible. All right, coming up next, If you see some smoke in the Palisades, don't panic. There's a reason for that. We'll talk about it when we come back.
Speaker 5: You're listening to Gary and Shannon on demand from KFI AM six forty.
Speaker 2: We're going to see fire again over in the Palisades this week. The Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives is now looking into the cause of the fire, and they're at a place where they're trying to recreate some of the conditions that existed back on January seventh to see if they can actually come up with a cause of the fire at this point. Unlike the fire in Altadena later that same day, this fire, the Palisades fire, started in an area where there were no power lines, and that is causing quite a mystery. It's a pretty heavily trafficked area. They're talking about the Temscual Ridge trail between Skull Rock and Green Peak. That's basically where the fire was first detected at about ten thirty that morning, January seventh. They say the focus has been on whether the fireworks fire from the week before might have somehow stayed smoldering for a week and then as these you know, very very heavy winds came in that morning, that it was reignited. That's probably the best theory that we have right now outside of somebody literally starting the fire themselves.
Speaker 1: This test is going to run until Thursday. Super interesting if you are involved with fire science and you have any sort of intel on how these things happen and how fire behavior can replicate itself as well through certain terrain and terrain that has been changed as well, so that'll be interesting. They say that's going to be through this evening through Thursday. This burn also of note, right now as we speak, firefighters are conducting a prescribed fire of brush piles.
Speaker 4: Near the well.
Speaker 1: Not really kind of in the foothill area. So you're going to see it in Glendora, Azuoza surrounding communities, so not Alta Dina, but in that general foothill area up there against the two. So if you see any fire there along State Route thirty nine, that is what's happening. That is a controlled prescribed burn.
Speaker 2: And as I mentioned the one of the palisades, they're pretty sure there are no it's probably going to be sourced to us, to humans. We did something, sure, because there are no power poles near that point of origin. But some homeowners in the palisades are still suing the power companies because they're saying that the power lines fueled the problems, made it worse.
Speaker 3: So a little bit earlier, we were.
Speaker 2: Talking about physical media, think of like records, DVDs and how sales have gone up. In fact, vinyl sales have increased every year over the last eighteen years, and that physical physical media sales have gone up by about eleven percent. They jumped from twenty twenty three to twenty twenty four. Everybody's going back to the old fashion.
Speaker 10: Why definitely held on to my vinyl. I actually have the Beatles' second album, Gilbert O'Sullivan, Dan Fogelberg, John Denver, Gordon Lightfoot, a little early Neil Diamond, hard rock. I don't know why I didn't get it. Oh, Helen Ready, I was just gonna say, a couple in there never was a Barber streisand Fan. Let that one go.
Speaker 1: Ok well, listening, Helen Ready, that's I am woman. I got a little if you could read my mind there with a little Gordon Lightfoot, a little uh. Let's see here, Dan Fogelman. That his name, So she said, I gotta I gotta go back in time. Dan Fogelberg, Fogelberg, Okay, let's see here.
Speaker 4: Okay, leader of the band.
Speaker 3: Of course, the.
Speaker 10: Band is gone.
Speaker 5: Garry Shannon.
Speaker 2: I have oh of my CDs from the nineties, the two thousands, early two thousands.
Speaker 5: I even have the cases. I have all of it.
Speaker 3: I didn't throw any of it away.
Speaker 5: I have every single one.
Speaker 3: I have probably three hundred and my.
Speaker 5: Kids make fun of me. My wife makes fun of me.
Speaker 3: I don't think my kids know where my CDs are.
Speaker 2: They that was never there, That was never they didn't bother no, And I think I probably have about two hundred.
Speaker 3: Sure, maybe I.
Speaker 11: Had the first eight track tape of the original Van Halen.
Speaker 7: Ooh nice sendy LP, then the cassette, the CD.
Speaker 4: I had it on my computer, my iPod. Now I have it on my Live by Life.
Speaker 2: That was slacker.
Speaker 1: Well, gang, we can all meet for bingo at noon following our luncheon. Consumme will be served in the front living room at two thirty.
Speaker 3: Did you hear did you hear Jack choked on his jelly the other day?
Speaker 11: Heyter Gary Shannon, This is Larry from the Beverly Hills area. My friend Nancy, who invented couples disco dancing in nineteen seventy three, literally has maybe a thousand record albums going back all the way to the early nineteen hundreds, editing machines. Everything you could possibly imagine.
Speaker 4: Sounds like a lot of dust.
Speaker 11: Oh, by the way, disco was not created in New York City by Puerto Ricans. It was a white woman in the.
Speaker 8: Hamhouse everybody knows that wait to whitesplaining disc out the guy.
Speaker 2: My brother in law had a huge album collection. Used to be a few hundred vinyl records, but the largest collection I ever saw was an old program director I had when I was working in Chico. This guy had come from Georgia kind of a flight.
Speaker 3: Let's just say he didn't hold a lot of jobs for very long.
Speaker 2: Uh, But the thing that he traveled with was a couple thousand, two or three thousand records that he would constantly would take everywhere he went. And he was in jobs for eighteen months two years, so he moved all the time, but that was the thing he kept with him the whole time. And I remember going to his house one night and seeing thousands and thousands of records, and he had stories for every one of them. Did he because he was he was a music guy forever? Roof for you, I don't think so?
Speaker 4: Yeah, unclear, isn't it?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 4: But what I remember if he did, it could the whole point of a roofing. Excellent point.
Speaker 1: We've got terror the Skuys on deck when we come back.
Speaker 5: You're listening to Gary and Shannon on demand from KFI AM six forty.
Speaker 3: It's time for Terror in the Skies.
Speaker 5: Fight zero and every other get on my plane, Victor.
Speaker 7: Enough is enough.
Speaker 5: I haven't had put these mumpy pine snakes on this money. It's Gary and Shannon's Terror in the Skies on k Fox.
Speaker 4: So stupid. The more I think about it, the more it angers me.
Speaker 1: And that's stupid. I'm having an overreaction. I'm overreacting to.
Speaker 4: Everything because of what I said.
Speaker 3: I mean, I mean to be mean.
Speaker 1: Comparing me to the prices, right lady? Yeah, well I mean it wasn't great.
Speaker 3: Sorry, I won't do that again.
Speaker 1: I mean, you compared me to like an eighty three year old woman.
Speaker 4: But that that's fine. What are we doing?
Speaker 2: A female passenger on a self lest Airlines flight? Uh proved the old adage that when you gotta go, you gotta go.
Speaker 4: Did she go directly on this seat? And you're gonna have to.
Speaker 1: Talk because I listen. Sometimes when you gotta go, you gotta go.
Speaker 2: She was flying flight four eighteen. You know that one from Philly to chick was midway. Sure, some sturdy people on that flight. She took off her clothes, Okay, empty the old.
Speaker 4: No it matters.
Speaker 3: But what does she look like don't know, I don't know.
Speaker 4: Does she look like me and Nita from Prices? Right?
Speaker 3: Oh, I'm sorry, I won't ever do that again.
Speaker 1: I mean, is she like, is she somebody who presented like they were going through something? Or is it somebody who looks like, you know, a perfectly acceptable contributing member to society?
Speaker 2: Like did she was she wearing video a smart pencil skirt and yeah suit exactly exactly?
Speaker 4: I doubt it because that's always more fun, isn't it.
Speaker 3: But she my side of the yeah, was human fecal matter?
Speaker 2: Yeah, there was that one seat where she had pooped? How much poop are we talking about? Are we talking about just like a little bit or like a.
Speaker 4: Whole to do?
Speaker 3: And what is the what is it on that scale? What is the what is the name of that scale?
Speaker 4: The poop, the size?
Speaker 3: The Bristol stool chart is what I'm thinking.
Speaker 4: Wow, there's a chart.
Speaker 2: There's a chart that when you go to the doctor and you complain about g I issues, they will ask you.
Speaker 3: There's a poster. It's a chart.
Speaker 2: Really is it a little you know, hard and crumbly like a rabbit or is it just like your pop will tell you a lot of broccoli, bullar base or something like that. Oh god, I don't know where. I don't know where she would be. Well, they refer to it. There's type one through type seven. If type one would be rabbit droppings, type seven would be gravy.
Speaker 3: And I'm not.
Speaker 2: Saying that that's from that's from the Stanford.
Speaker 4: Anything more about the chart or the depictions.
Speaker 2: Remember the Bristol stool skin. It will come up in conversation again. In this case, they say they took the plane out of service so that they could clean it, and that the team from Southwest is reaching out to those on board to apologize for the situation and any delay to their travel planes.
Speaker 8: If apparently she started yelling at first, I could see that, and she was man and she was rubbing her naked body all over the flight attendant.
Speaker 2: No, that's not funny. That's all that happened. Funny, I mean assaulted. That that would be not be considered battery.
Speaker 11: Right.
Speaker 8: Can you imagine stories such a great story.
Speaker 3: Even if you're right next, even if you're across the aisle.
Speaker 1: It's man, The things that I will subject myself to for a great story is ridiculous.
Speaker 4: And this is one of them.
Speaker 1: Like, if I had this story to tell, I would gladly be on a flight with a naked woman who rubbed herself against me and then crapped on a seat.
Speaker 4: Like, absolutely, sign me up for that story.
Speaker 2: There's also something on going on at Newark and New Jersey which is weird. But the FAA is gonna dramatically slow down traffic at Newark Liberty Airport because of some equipment problems and some staffing issues. So if you're flying anywhere in and around Newark Liberty.
Speaker 4: Anyone I tell you look like Drew Carrey.
Speaker 3: I'm sorry. I won't do that again.
Speaker 1: I meant it as before you had the surgeon, you took it glasses on. You know, tall white guys thin, and now that he's lost the weight, you guys are probably how old is he?
Speaker 4: Probably similar age?
Speaker 11: Right?
Speaker 12: I think he's late fifties, sixty six, so wow, comparable. I'll continue right after this.
Speaker 3: You've been listening to The Gary and Shannon Show.
Speaker 2: You can always hear us live on KFI AM six forty nine am to one pm every Monday through for and anytime on demand on the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 5: Mm hmm