Speaker 1: The Upper Room presents So you want to Stay married? Today's episode in this study of family life in the modern home is a Child.
Speaker 2: Shall Lead Them?
Speaker 1: Especially written and produced for The Upper Room by Carlton E. Morse, featuring Jeanette Nolan as Anne, Tom Collins as Arthur, and Dawn Bender as Shirling.
Speaker 2: When Arthur and Anne.
Speaker 1: Wentworth were first married, there was grave uncertainty in their minds about children. Oh yeah, someday, of course, but right in the beginning, maybe I can explain it well. In the first place, Anne and I were so much in love, they just didn't seem any place in our lives for another human being. On top of that, I was just out of the army, and I had a queer feeling that the world was all topsy turvy, and I wasn't sure I wanted to bring another human being into the mess to face what might lie ahead.
Speaker 2: And then there was money.
Speaker 1: No sure, I had a job, but there just wasn't enough money in the panvelope every week to cover food and rent and all the other little necessities, let alone a few small pleasures for handing me. And then Anne was so young and beautiful and carefree.
Speaker 3: You know, secretly in our hearts. We must have wanted our children most terribly all the time, without us quite realizing it. We must have because we spent so much time talking about why we shouldn't have them. If we had a nickel for every hour we spent trying to prove to ourselves that it wouldn't be fair to the children, we'd be very wealthy people.
Speaker 2: And then it happened.
Speaker 3: Yes, the whole thing was taken out of our hands. I honestly think that somehow God looked down upon our confusion and indecision and settle the matter for us. Not that either Arthur or I were very religious at the time. I mean, we both had religious training as children, but we'd will rather let things slip. I wanted to bring in the religious angle here because it seemed so much a part of the coming of our children and what happened to Arthur and me and our home as our family grew. For instance, the night our first little girl came was the first time that Arthur and I ever prayed together. I was still pretty wan and shaky when they let Arthur come in to see me and Darling, Hello, Papa, Darling Dardley, I'm all right, Rather I'm all right.
Speaker 2: I know, I know what. I'm so thank you. I'm want to thank somebody.
Speaker 3: We could say a prayer, Yes, yes.
Speaker 1: That's it, our Father, which out in heaven, Howard Halloa, Thy Kingdom, Come, come thy, will.
Speaker 2: You do give us the stage our daily bread were the coming of our daughter, Shirley.
Speaker 1: We realized how silly and juvenile we'd been to everythink of not having children.
Speaker 2: It hadn't been a home at all.
Speaker 1: It had just been a selfish, self centered place in which Anne and I had been too occupied with ourselves to ever think of other people.
Speaker 2: We expanded, we blossomed.
Speaker 1: It was almost as though our early married life had only been the tightly closed but of a flower, whose beauty and perfume unfolded and pervaded the atmosphere only after we became parents. I thought Anne was beautiful before, but in the role of a mother, sh the open flood gates of love in my heart that I hadn't even known were there. The miracle of bringing life in the world together cause a strange thing to a man and woman.
Speaker 2: It deepens and enriches the soul.
Speaker 1: It's like deep, beautiful, moving organ music rolling down the corridors of heaven.
Speaker 2: It happens every time.
Speaker 1: After Shirley came Jimmy and then young Anne, and each time they were singing and rejoicing and the ringing of bells and Hallel Lou in our hearts.
Speaker 2: And I'm not forgetting the bad times either.
Speaker 1: That terrible night, the doctor arrived at four o'clock in the morning and sat beside Jimmy's bed while the small hot face burned with fever and the little body shivered in the agony of a life and death fight. I won't forget that night, nor will I ever forget the morning when the fever broke, the battle was won, and the hand cried on my shoulder in desperate relief at the goodness of heaven, and say, there and it's all right now, it's going.
Speaker 2: To be all right.
Speaker 3: I prayed so hard, I prayed so high that it was a miracle. Let's say it do. The doctor said it was a miracle.
Speaker 2: Thank they Dear God for answering hands prayer.
Speaker 3: It seemed that at every turn our children brought Arthur and Me closer to our childhood religion. When they came, we felt called upon to give thanks for them. And then in their infancy, we turned toward our church for their christening and baptism and early training. Somehow we couldn't disassociate our children from immortality and from the goodness and graceciousness of a supreme being. It all seemed so much a part of the great plan, something beyond our poor knowledge, that our home became a religious home, almost without us realizing it or knowing it. The sacredness of giving life gave added sacredness to our home, to the relationship between Arthur and me. When we were first married and only had our love for each other to tie us together, I often had qualms of losing Arthur. Other women seemed so much more attractive than I felt. I really felt an inadequacy within myself. I felt my hold on Arthur's love was so ephemeral that it might dissolve like the mist.
Speaker 1: Is that why you used to ask me if I still loved you, kept quanting proof of my love?
Speaker 3: Of course I was unsure. Didn't you ever feel unsure of me?
Speaker 2: Well?
Speaker 1: We were a couple of times, as when the boss's son came out from Europe and made that big pitch in your direction. As there were a couple of times now have butterflies of fear around my eye?
Speaker 3: Have you ever had that feeling since Shirley was born?
Speaker 2: Not once?
Speaker 3: And neither have I. Because in Shirley and Jimmy and baby Anne we found meaning in our marriage in proving to be dependable parents. We've growd to each other that we are likewise dependable helpmates.
Speaker 1: I take it from this, Missus Wentworth, that you believe in children in the home.
Speaker 3: There's no doubt of it, mister Wentworth. In fact, for me, children are the first and importance in making a marriage a success. Children are the bonds which go beyond words, vowels, marriage certificates, or even the laws of man.
Speaker 4: Are you talking about me?
Speaker 3: Mama, Shirley? Where did you pop from?
Speaker 2: Who?
Speaker 4: I heard you and Daddy talking in here? So I came in?
Speaker 2: What no kiss for your father?
Speaker 4: Okay?
Speaker 2: Oh? Well moist but otherwise satisfactory.
Speaker 4: Oh look, what's the matter with my skates?
Speaker 3: Oh that was an accident.
Speaker 4: It's broke.
Speaker 3: Look at the wheel, Yes, darling, Jimmy was wearing them, but they're my skates.
Speaker 2: He's broke. Well, you can forgive your brother for an accident, No.
Speaker 4: Sir, I'm not gonna forgive him forever and ever he broke my skate. Sureley, you mustn't say that, not ever as well as he left.
Speaker 2: You don't mean that, Shirley.
Speaker 4: But how can you forgive anybody for breaking your skates? Those are the only skates I've got? And I hate him?
Speaker 2: What come? Here?
Speaker 1: Every evening of the close of our little devotions, here at home we say the Lord's prayer?
Speaker 2: Can you say it?
Speaker 4: Look at my skates, Daddy?
Speaker 2: I know, I know? Can you say the Lord's prayer?
Speaker 4: Yes?
Speaker 2: Say it for me?
Speaker 4: Please, our Father, which are in heaven, Hello, be thy name, Thy Kingdom. Come. Thy will be done on earth as it is in heaven. Give us this day our daily bread, Give us our trespasses, as we forgive those who trespass against us.
Speaker 2: We do just not wait, wait a minute.
Speaker 4: That's right, isn't it, Mommy?
Speaker 3: That's right?
Speaker 2: But say that last again? Give us this day our daily bread? Then?
Speaker 4: What forgive us our trespasses as we forgive those who trespass against us?
Speaker 2: Um? Huh? Do you realize what you're saying?
Speaker 4: I'm asking God to forgive me for what I do wrong.
Speaker 2: You're asking more than that.
Speaker 1: I am well aren't you forgive us the wrong we do as we forgive others.
Speaker 2: Who do wrong against us. Don't you see?
Speaker 1: Surely you've got to forgive Jimmy, because if you don't, then you can't ask God to forgive you. You won't even have the right to say the Lord's prayer with us while we if you hold enmity in your heart against.
Speaker 2: Your brother, but he broke my skate, well.
Speaker 1: And didn't you get into my shaving cabinet the other day and break my razor?
Speaker 2: Hm?
Speaker 4: Yes?
Speaker 2: And didn't you tell me you were sorry? And didn't I forgive you?
Speaker 4: Yes?
Speaker 2: And weren't we both happier? I know I was.
Speaker 1: I forgave you, and I know your mother forgave me for the forgetting to bring groceries home from downtown. And Hm, we forgave the neighbors were running their car across our lawn, and the neighbors forgave us for keeping them up late last week because our radio was on too loud, And it goes on and on all our lives. Were forgiving other people and they're forgiving us because we're all human beings, and human beings always seen to be getting into trouble where they need somebody to understand and forgive me.
Speaker 3: Here, darling, take this handka jam Now, Jimmy's very sorry and the skates can be fixed.
Speaker 4: You know, I didn't know the Lord's prayer meant that.
Speaker 3: Well, then you've learned something rather wonderful, haven't you. Now You know that we can't even ask for forgiveness for ourselves when we refuse to give it to others. And it's so important it may make a difference in your whole life.
Speaker 4: I don't hate Jimmy, Well.
Speaker 3: Of course you don't, So he's out in the kitchen. Why don't you go tell him?
Speaker 4: All right? I'd even kiss him when he.
Speaker 3: Hate me.
Speaker 2: After.
Speaker 3: That was a wise thoughtful way of handling that, you know.
Speaker 1: And I sold myself an idea while I was talking to Shirley. You did what children are good for people and get down to fundamentals with them. You have to re state fundamental truths over and over, and first thing, you know, they begin to seep into your own thick skull.
Speaker 3: I don't know what you're talking about, but it sounds interesting.
Speaker 1: Well, as I was talking to Shirley about forgiveness, I just remembered something that's been happening down at the office. Well, one of the salesman's been getting in my hair, and I've been building up a grudge I dislike for him.
Speaker 3: Oh I see m.
Speaker 1: It just occurred to me that I could probably do a little forgiving myself. I hadn't thought of myself, and just that light before.
Speaker 3: Children are in education, they say, well.
Speaker 1: They say, truly, education and the fundamentals of living. You can't train a child properly without becoming a better person yourself.
Speaker 3: And better people make better marriages. And Darling, that's what we're living, one of the better marriages.
Speaker 1: If the family ties in your home are uncertain and giving way, family worship will help to strengthen them. Worship in the church of your choice, and have daily devotions in the home. The church and the home are the basic rocks upon which the moral structure of this nation is built. They should be and must be, one united foundation. Ask your pastor for devotional helps or send a postcard to the Upper Room Nashville, Tennessee your announcer Russell Cross