Speaker 1: Hello, everybody, Welcome to That Not Metal. We are your weekly rock and heavy music podcast, and this is an addition here every Thriday with Hyperblasts, our news release round up show where we let you know what has been going on in what has turned out to be a I don't know, a particularly divisive week. Some of the negative news stories very much, I don't know, stealing some of the limelight away from some of the more positive stuff we might have to talk about. It's been kind of a stupid week, isn't it.
Speaker 2: It's been a stupid week, But also it sort of exists in areas that I don't know about, So a lot of this is gonna be telling me what's been going on.
Speaker 1: Okay, great, well, if that's the dynamic we're going for between us. My name is Perenhesh. The person I will be informing of the week's catastrophes and going on. You can hear there is mister Mark Sanderson. How are you doing, Mark? How has your time being haven't been? I think the last time we did something together was when we were finishing up our Corn special a few weeks ago. You're still getting your scatting.
Speaker 2: In genuinely right, whenever we finish one of these specials, I will go like, Okay, well I'm not listening to w Weezer for a year, I'm not listening to you know, I like this on Fire for a little while whatever. I've genuinely listened to The Nothing and The Path of Totality multiple times.
Speaker 1: Since I would expect nothing Less to be honest.
Speaker 2: Like I say, they're just one of those bands that are always in my life. So I'm not ready to let go yet.
Speaker 1: Yeah, fair enough. Well, you know, we might touch on some more of what's been going on the Patron a little bit later, but before we get into the news. I've also had a pretty pretty fun week. I went along to a event I was very very curious about, very very happy to be able to tag along and attend. Last weekend, I went to Opeth's gig at the Peace Hall in Halifax, which that venue, I guess is I hadn't heard of it until like a couple of years ago. I think Corn maybe played there when around the time they were doing that Gunnersbury Park show beyond on the subject of Corn, but it seems like more and more of our lot have been booked to play there. It's where Turnstile are playing in a few weeks, which might be mad. It is where jimmyet World are doing one of their twenty fifth anniversary Bleed American shows. But the show, the show, and the bill, I suppose that really caught my eye from this bunch was Opeth there and this venue in Halifax, So Halifax in West Yorkshire. I don't know why, Like I said, this place is started to book more and more. I mean it showed from across, like you know, all sorts of genres and stuff, but particularly that you know a handful of like T and N Universe bands. And I don't know how long this place has been, you know, accommodating our lot, you know, our stinky, greedy lot, so to speak. But it was very very cool to go along and see this Opeth build there. They were supported by Paradise Lost and Catatonia, so all around that is like a perfect you know, if you are a fan of kind of romantic leaning European metal from the mid to late nineties and early two thousands, that is a completely perfect package, right, And I was thinking about just the kind of I don't know, incestuous connections between those three bands where you might look at it on you know, paper musically and you're like, yeah, that's a good fit. But when you think about it more more deeply than that, in terms of the law, Opeth and Catatonia go like way back together, to the point that, weirdly, this show fell on the thirtieth anniversary to the day of Catatonia's album Brave Murder Day, which has growled vocals on it by Michael Ackafel of Opeth, and I thought, well, if there's any day, any show where you should bust something like that out, it will be today, And cowardly they did not do that, so that will never happen. But just Ago by chance says that they're playing together on the thirtieth anniversary of you know, something like that. As part of their shared history together, there is the fact that Nick Holmes from Paradise Loss, of course, replaced Michael Lackafel from Opeth in Blood buff a band which also, by the way, features several Catatonia members. Opeth's current you know newer drummer Valterie they poached him from Paradise Lost, where he was playing immediately beforehand, and there was a point in the Paradise Loss set actually when they played the song Ghosts from the Obsidian album, which he recorded with them, and he came out and like, you know, reassumed his his drum seat for them. There's just all these like you know, individual connections and incredible sort of ven diagram of you know, fandom and stuff like that between these three bands. So it was like a really top to bottom perfect bill. I wanted to mention just a little bit again if people are curious about the location Piece Hall in Halifax, which basically it's like it's an open air show venue, but it's in it's like a square, so you go into like this kind of old Victorian looking building, but then when you enter, you go into like an open air square in the middle of it that is obviously then contained by the walls of it, which is really like, I don't know, just prestigious looking right when you're in there. So it's why I think, particularly as well seeing bands like Opeth and Paradise Lost there, as much as might be cool to see corn or Turnstile there or whatever, I think there's a particular you know, setting that worked well with bands who look like they drink wine. Essentially, in the case of someone like like Opeth and literally like right behind the stage on the visible towering above it from the other side of the square. You know, Walls is an old like Gothic you know, Yorkshire church spire. So watching a band like Paradise Lost with that, you know, incredible again Yorkshire Gothic doom sensibility, and there's literally a giant church spire towering over from the other side of the stage. But it just it visually, it all worked together. It was really really great, and particularly when it got to the nighttime when Opeth were playing and the like, the lighting from the stage was reflecting up and lighting up this church tower, so like you'd have like this where particularly when they were doing some of the heavier songs, you had this like harsh red lighting and you've got this fucking church that's beamed up all red like it looked really evil and super fucking cool. So just the again, the vibe of the location I think is one of the more I don't know, fancy and special sort of settings that I've seen a metal show at in the UK as of late. The only puncturing of all of this is the fact that the event was sponsored by tk Max, which meant you had TK max shop Brown La brendickt which if if you don't know, if you're outside of the UK, it's like a high street you know, shopping brand here in the UK. But I put you know, several videos from this up on my Instagram story, and almost every single reply I got from someone was like, why are opes sponsored by tk Max? You've got to get rid of that, which did kill the vibe a little bit, but it was really really great. So Catatonia. First of all, we missed about half of Catatonia because while Halifax is only a kind of small town, finding a place to park there weirdly when they had loads of roadworks and stuff was kind of a nightmare. We did a lap of this town several times over trying to actually stop and get out. But you could hear because it's an open air venue, you could hear Catatonia from from outside it, right, And I think they played a couple of dead End King songs earlier on in the part that we missed, walked in when they were wrapping up one of those, and then, like I said, didn't do any of their you know, more Opeth aligned in their history, older stuff, but in terms of you know, the more recent material, right, I still love that record Skyvoid of Stars from a few years ago, even if the most recent one from last year isn't isn't as good. It's nice to see Catatonia again represented as part of all that paradise. Last very much took the occasion into hand. Weirdly, they're actually from Halifax, like that is officially their hometown, but apparently, and I don't know how this works, they said this is their first ever show in Halifax, which is mental to me because I would have imagined, like in you know, nineteen ninety before their first album came out, would imagine they would have played a pub show or something in their literal hometown. But apparently they just always played like Bradford or Leeds in the you know, Yorkshire vicinity, as I guess there must have been more of a music scene there. But they were like, yeah, this is the first time we've ever played like the actual town where we're from, which is really fucking bizarre. Apparently was Yorkshire Day as well, August the first, which I didn't know it was Yorkshire Day, but they very much again you know, rile people up with that and took that into account paralys last I've just I love that band so much and give them, you know, fifteen minute hour long set list or whatever, and they will switch it up. It's not just they rely on the same stuff all the time, but they can pack that with just phenomenal tunes from all across the set list and all across their you know eras even and the song from the last record came out last year, which we didn't review, and I didn't like it quite as much as I think Obsidian the record Pride that which I mentioned is like a real stand up for them. But the last paras oft time is still great, and the couple of tunes they played off that very much again fit the you know, they sat landed really well in this kind of setting. But then you've got through to like they did the small Town Boy cover, which is an absolute ripper that really works much better than the Lord of the Lost version of that, like I mentioned, doing Ghosts the VALTERI coming out and reassuming his drum stool, and this is even without Bizarrely, they did not play either Enchantment from Draconian Times or the song that they end nearly every one of their sets ever with apart from this one seemingly sageous words from from one Second, which is like the guaranteed paras of Set closer, and they didn't do either of those. Apparais lost. Set that doesn't end with either enchantment or Sage's words should be wrong and should be weird, but they still managed to pack enough kind of firepower and obviously the you know, incredibly infectious charm of Nick Holmes and all this stuff, they still you know, fit it perfectly well. Opeth were brilliant as they're particularly I think their recent kind of run of form since around the last album they have been particularly fantastic. The last time I saw them was when they headlined Bloodstock a couple of years ago, but that was right before the last album came out, So this was my first time seeing them with again the newer material from that really really fun and strange and dynamic, ambitious last Opeth album. And so they open with obviously that's got all those weird titles where they're all like, you know, chapter or paragraph or whatever it is. But the first single they released where we all heard that incredible Michael Growl coming back in that was the song they opened with, and that was really fucking cool. They also played one of the very so I think it's paragraph seven, one of the very strange proggy off kilter ones towards the end of that record, and it's and that's one of the songs where it's got the kind of like narration from Ian Anderson from Jethro Hotel on the record, and they were like, we've got you know, Ian and he's not here. We've got Ian Anderson's like, you know, narration part playing on the track. But we as a band, we do not play to a click track, so we sometimes you know, slow slow down, we might speed up whatever. So it was like Ian Anderson, he's going to be in the exact same place because it's you know, a sampled thing. We might be out of time, who knows. And then they played it and they were in time. He was in time, but the VT with his like lyrics that as they were coming up was out of time. And I'm like, that's the thing that even not counted for Surely that should be the thing. It should be in the same place every single time, but I guess not. But that was really fun. Otherwise, uh, you know, set list wise Opeth because they are a band who play very long songs, right, and the set was like something like an hour and forty. I often say that Opeth, like if we get that questions like what's the dream evening with three hour set type band? My stock answer is always always Opeth because there are so many songs from the catalog that you want to see that they don't have room for. Because each of their like they're playing Deliverance every single night. That's ten minutes of the set at least, you know, to take it up, and then you throw in like here's your stock Blackwater part song, here's your stock you know ghost every song, whether that be Ghost of Petition or Grand Conjuration whatever like, it fills up very very quickly. But the flip side of that is if you go to see Opeth a lot over the years, they they are pretty good at switching things out. So I was looking at all the setlists from the various times I have seen Opeth, and every single time I've seen Opeth, apart from when they've done like a you know, a forty minute slot download something like that, every time I've seen a full length opes set, they have played one song from the Watershed album. They've Also, every single time played one song from the Heritage album, but every single time that one song has been a different one, so you kind of it also means that, like, if you miss the time they're playing your favorite song, they might never play that song again because they'll move on to the next one. So you kind of have to, you know, just just catch the ones that you can do. But for example, with Watershed, I've seen them do you know the Lotus Eater, I've seen them do Air Apparent, all this kind of stuff. This time from Watershed, they ended the main set with hex Omaga Whoa, which is a song I had not seen them doing, and that was really fucking fantastic. Similarly, on the Heritage front, this was the first time, weirdly, I've ever seen them play the Devil's Orchard, which the single from Heritage back when it came out. But it turns out I've seen them play like various other songs from that record, like hack Process and all this kind of stuff, but this is the first time i'd see them do what it's probably the catcher song on that record with that be God is Dead, you know, vocal Lion that that has, and I was like, oh, you know again. Another one to add to the repertoire. I mentioned the you know, swapping in and out of the whatever big ghost reverie song you're gonna get this time, as it was a bloss a couple years, I've kind of lent more towards this from recently was the Grand Conjuration over Ghost Position, and I fucking love the Grand Conjuration so much. It's when the keyboard player starts playing evil congers, just like full on like whacking on those things, but in an evil necromantic way, and that was sick as hell. The real like event of this for me, As I mentioned about, if you missed the times that they are playing your favorite songs, you might well never see them again. My Myopeth album Forever and Ever Ever Will Be is the album's still Life, the predecessor to the, of course, the iconic, much more popular Blackwater Park. And every time that they have played a still Life song in the set, it has been an occasion that I have missed. I had never seen them. This is my you know, I've been a fan of Opeth for about like sixteen years, about twenty ten. You know, when I really got into the shit was when I got into them, immediately fell for that record. Never in all the years of sing since then have I actually seen them play a song from it. They were playing them more a few years ago, but they only played like a London date and I didn't go to it. Finally I got to see the perform a song from that and it was like, probably a song I would put in the middle of the pack of that particular record, But the song Godheads Lament, which is just brilliant track two on that record. It starts with one of their most like infernal, like morbid angel riffs, like so sick, but in the middle of it it turns into this like beautiful, melodic, kind of prog folk song with these like really wonderful refrain and they dropped like three songs into the set and I was like, that's me, Like, that's the thing that I again, the big thing that I was ticking off as part of this. It was really fucking great. And then I looked because I guess then there must been a certain curfew at the Halifax Piece Hall show or something. They played Dublin the night after, because they've been doing like a full European tour and as well as everything that we got. They added into that set Demon of the Fall, which is a ripper, another song from the Last World and Testament album, the Paragigh three, and then their cover of Napalm Death You Suffer three times in a row. And I can't believe genuinely surprised they did not find time for that one in particular set.
Speaker 2: And it takes up so much time. You know, it's an opus.
Speaker 1: It generally does the thing because it takes several minutes for him to introduce it the content, so I can't actually understand that. But yeah, really a wonderful time sin Opeth. I mean they're always great, particularly and that the setting in the venue if people are curious about it because they might be headed to the Turnstile show or the gb World show or whatever it might be. Like I said, I think I caught the package that most musically fit in with the atmosphere and the setting of it. I mean, I always liked Paradis Lost. I always love seeing those Yorkshire doom bands in Yorkshire at somewhere, particularly you know, beautiful looking because just that again the kind of the Gothic drama of that kind of music, whether it's a you know, a my Dying Bride or paras Lot or something like that always works really well, and obviously in their hometown, but Opeth were were spectac through as well, so that was really, really, really good. And yeah, I definitely if there is a show coming up at that Halifax Piece Hall thing and you're able to you know, get up there and make it or whatever or that all down there, I would definitely recommend the again, the vibe and the place. So that was the best thing that happened to me this week. We are going to start off the news by talking about the worst parts of the week, and the annoying thing for us is they're not even bad in a straightforward way. They're bad in a kind of confusing way, which I guess particularly true for our first story, which I am really annoyed that we are here like almost a week after this has you know, gotten out there, and we've still not actually got it like confirmed. We've not got an official statement or anything on the matter. But earlier in the week it was sort of like leak reported by fucking TMZ of all places that apparently Sid Wilson. Of course, the turntablist of Slipknot has been kicked out of the band and this has, like I said, it leaked there through let's generously call them unofficial channels, and the rest of the week has been trying to sort of, I don't know, trace the fallout and the evidence of this. So what this has kind of been framed as, you know, if this is true and if this is kind of you know, the way these events have gotten out there is supposedly Slipknot were gearing up to make like an official statement and then somehow this got out ahead of time and they've kind of you know, panicked and not actually come forward with whatever it might be. Again, that's the kind of you know, word of mouth version of events that's out there. We've since had like more you know, dramatic wadings in from the likes of Kelly Osborne, who until recently was the partner of Sid Wilson, and she put up a whole like series of Instagram stories basically like blasting Sid Wilson about like childcare payments and all this kind of like again full on fucking culture vulture like drama, what like I didn't give a shit about this stuff, Like you know, that's that's their business to sort out wherever it may be, it's got no relevance to what we're actually trying to figure out right now. Jim Root of slip knot once this story kind of you know, was out there, he put out an Instagram story basically being very evasive, saying like, hey, don't believe what you read. But that's not expressly a denial of this story. It's just sort of like a I don't know, a dissipation of again the way it's the channel it's gotten out, so we don't know right now, how like, to what extent this is confirmed. And like I said, I was hoping by the time we got here on you know, Thursday to chat about this, that we would have something official, and annoyingly we don't. So we've only got this again, very annoying manner of kind of reporting of this stuff to talk about. For my part right now here before it's been confirmed, I would be inclined to believe this. I think it might be a there's a no smoke without fire situation. And again the manner which has gotten out has kind of sort of you know, scattered the birds. But it could well be true. We can't talk about it again, super rigidly because of the lack of information or anything about this. But if it is true that Sid Wilson is no longer in Sleipnot and has become the latest member to be ousted from that band, my my genuine first reaction to hearing this news, and this might be quite a revealing on my part, but my genuine first reaction was just, for fuck's sake, I'm not sure how much I care anymore. And that is very frustrating to me because I, you know, I'll talk in a second about I guess where my current sort of relationship with Slipnot has been. But it just feels like another you know, another domino, another you know, straw on the camel's back, so to speak, and maybe you only get so many of those before you just kind of mentally check out a little bit. And I think that's where certainly a great deal of the Slipnot fan base is at at the moment. What do you think?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I My gut reaction is similar. It's like, how much can I possibly care about this? Like this keeps happening to Slipknot And I guess, on one hand, you know, if you have that many bands members, it is going to be harder to please everyone. So I guess it makes sense, and it makes it admirable that they did go like ten years without this like revolving door thing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they didn't fire anyone until of the classic nine. They didn't fire anyone until Joey Jordison, Yeah, in twenty thirteen. So that's like a fifteen years or so of maintaining nine people, which is fairly good going.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but then you know, I was thinking, like, Slipnot are one of our big bands. When they do release a new record, we're all going to be so excited. And if Sid is leaving, this is so superficial And this is so like I don't know, nerdy, but like, visually slip Not as more than music, right. We love the mask unveiling, we love the unveiling of a new era, but more and more with band members leaving and stuff, there's only a select few number of members who's whose masks can actually look different.
Speaker 1: I mean Sid Wilson in terms of actual behavior on stage, like not just the mask, but in terms of his like demeanor. I think it is arguably like he's there with Clown and Corey basically as being like the the most focal point of the chaos of a Slipnot live shot.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he's jumping in the crowd, he's like hitting clown over the head whatever. Like visually he's so important and he's one of those sort of like side character Slipnot members who you can actually hear in their music. Yeah, but even just like the idea of like, Okay, here's the new the new masks. Sid always has a different mask and they're always pretty cool, like there's only so many ways of Jim Roots mask is gonna look, you know, But I don't know, it's it's hard. I feel like in general in metal we're sort of down on slip Not right now. I saw someone tweet like, oh, yes, there's another mass band really big, so slip Not just kick out another member whenever they want attention, and that really made me laugh. But I don't know we are. We were disappointed when Chris in his big nose left, but we all love Tortilla man, So who knows. They'll come back for some new guy called like Lasagna dude, and come back. They'll reallease something in good favor. We'll be back with them. We're just in a weird you know, a weird stage with them.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, I'm I'm not so sure about that because the last album was The End so Far, which was not popular, right, but it's a good album. Yeah, well I think so. But I again, I guess I just got back to, like I said, my my recent relationship slip Not because they there are many people who kind of you know, adopt the Slipnot died in X year, whether it be as soon as they released Volume three, whether it be as soon as Paul died or as soon as Joey was out of the band, or you know, whatever you might say. My position has been more more forgiving in that the last like genuinely great Slipnot album is still within the last ten years, right, and then the End so Far. I mean I was having this conversation at the weekend with someone, it's not like one of the best Slipknot albums, right. That was never the argument. But I have genuine I never understood the kind of vitriol that was aimed towards it by a lot of people because it was just Slipnot off the back of a really great album, and we are not your kind kind of following up by doing some you know, kind of more just sort of left field, experimenting, exploratory kind of stuff, and for the most part, I thought it was, you know, good and respectable. So I never understood people like, you know, getting really upset about that album and asked acting like Slipknot had released like an absolute turkey. I genuinely thought that was that was strange, but it did feel like after what was more a more culturally low key album, let's say, in the end, so far, it does feel like Slipknot they need a win sometime soon. And I know that they got like a little bit of favor back when they brought in Iloks Grande for example, and then people were saying, oh the live shows were really sick with with him and the band. But like I said, there's this kind of chain of events, this dominoes of tragically losing Paul, but then because of their own decisions or however it went down, you know, still up to debate for this day. But you know, the first person they fired, like I said, being being Joey and then eventually losing in quite shocking manner, Jay Weinberg, his replacement, who everybody kind of seemed pretty pretty happy with, pretty down with. As you said, they lost Chris, who was pretty you know, as you say, recognizable in teg roalkupant of the live show. Craig Jones, you might remember, you know, stepped back from the band as well. So this is like the you know, fifth or second member that Sleptnot have lost in the past kind of decade or so. And the only people now who are you know, from the debut album on have been consistently in Slipknot are at this stage if this is true, Corey, Clown Gym and Mick, which is four out of the nine. And I know that a four piece is like, you know, that's four people. That's as many as any other normal band, right, but that is over half now of like if you I mean, the thing that people like to do is they take the All Hope Is Gone album cover because they're all on it, right, And slowly you are seeing more and more people removed out of that cornfield. And now that cornfield is looking pretty empty, right because there's only four dudes who are left out of it. And I just think while I I was a defender of the last record, not in terms of being like a catalog standout or anything like that, but just in terms of being like a valid piece of you know, a valid musical addition to what they were doing. I was a defender of the last record, but that that the reaction that had followed by and surrounded by these continuous blows to their like public image. It just feels like there are bad vibes around slept Not right now. And I'm not immune to that again as someone who has given them a lot of grace musically, and of course I will continue to either be interested when they release new stuff or whatever, but it does feel like those bad vibes are overshadowing the rest of what people can connect with in that band, which in Sleptman's case is huge, right. They have such a huge place in people's heart, particularly the classic you know, incarnation of them, and something like this, I just wonder maybe Sliptnant need to just go away for a bit.
Speaker 2: Maybe. Yeah. Also I've just remembered this as well. There was sort of a wheel spinning element after the end so far where they were like new music after this coming extremely soon.
Speaker 1: Yeah, recording it's all been weird, isn't it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the least the outside your window thing, and I've seen no one talk about that like I don't know, maybe they should go away. But with slip Nod, there's always this thing of them going, we've only got five more years left in us, so we're just gonna do it, and we'll record one more thing and then we'll burst, we'll flame out. But then that was like five years ago. They're saying that it's like you could have just taken that time off. And I don't know.
Speaker 1: Obviously, right now, with it being so just evasive in terms of the information that's out there and the fact that we just don't know them right, we can't speak to any of the personal factors that are at play with for example, this Sid Wilson announcement, who's fallen out with who? Whatever the fuck it may be, how he may have behaved, we don't know. But I think obviously they will miss him, both musically and in the live show. And I think most importantly just in people's personal connection to the band. I think that Sid Wilson again shy of like Clown or Cory, and certainly, as the latest of many many occasions where we've been here discussing something like this going on, people's you know, connection from the heart are being just sort of slowly severed from the band, which is kind of sad to see and a guess that we just have to wait and see what more comes out of it. But there you go. That's the alleged, you know, reported slipknot News. And then our second fucking piece of absolute bullshit of the week, as we flip back into the worlds of hardcore, as we have done many many times of late in the news Marauder. This week, the legendary New York hardcore band have found themselves in a lot of hot water. They've been playing shows in the UK this week and it's all kind of blown up in their face because supposedly they're vocalist Jorge Rosado was spouting a whole bunch of slurs on stage at one of these shows, and people attended the show went, hey, that's not cool, why are you doing that? And somehow this has sort of led to a chain of events where people have gone back through his social media and dug up reposts of bunch of you know, hatefully transphobic, homophobic whatever material that he'd been you know, kind of engaging with and putting out there. I must admit I have not personally seen these reposts. I didn't really know where to go look and find them, but I am sure that they are there. You know, other members of the T and M team have assured me of this, but it has also then spilled into a response video that he put on Instagram, which has also been you know, I've got the transcription here in front of me. And if it was just said a few slurs on stage repost some transphobic stuff, that would be enough to be like, oh, for fuck's sake, you know, why are you behaving in this way? That's not cool. The the crash out that has followed is one of the most unhinged things I've ever read. It's not funny what he's been again, Like what he's been putting out there is the kind of stuff where we go, yeah, we try to stap this out and put our foot down about this. But he had with his response video, He's immediate you've seen it happen. He's immediately turned himself into a punchline and something of a meme in the hardcore world, because what the fuck are you on about? In this like several minutes long, demented rant where he comes out with sentences I don't think anyone would expected of like it from someone I guess I would have just naively looked at and previously thought was sane. It's a hell of a turnaround in the public eye, isn't it.
Speaker 2: Uh yeah, I mean hardcore you usually assume that the guys in it at least are trying to be decent, Like.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think, you know, it's some of the old head crowd do have a that there is a problem amongst this, but.
Speaker 2: Rick to life and all that. Yeah, but I so, yeah, I don't know anything about this. I just know one sentence.
Speaker 1: Already infamous sentence. So yeah, I mean, let's let's dress this from a serious point of view. Obviously, fuck this. I think it's fair to say from his you know, response, that his I don't know, taking of responsibility or whatever, if he was to in some way answer for some of the hateful material that he was putting out there on social media, that's definitely not what he's done with the response to so we can pretty firmly say, well, that sucks, but fuck you. There's no place for it, and it's I mean, it's really shitty that. For example, last week on the show, we were here talking about the upstanding character of a pillar of New York hardcore in Lukola, and then here we are a week later, and you know, one of his peers is just absolutely fucking embarrassed himself like this. He kind of seems like he's an old man who's fallen into the propaganda trap of thinking that there's an epidemic of trans people going into schools to predate on children under the flag of diversity, which is verbeted near enough. What he says, basically, I.
Speaker 2: Mean that that mindset is so prevalent today and it's founded on absolutely nothing, Like these people so convinced and so scared are that they're being replaced by trans people, like is so inane, Like grow up. Yeah, there's no place for any of this nonsense, And especially if he's so what I'm gathering is he's doubled down and he's like, yeah.
Speaker 1: He like I said that. The point that I just you know, voiced there is basically what he you know, retorts with in parts of his very very long rant that also then goes to several other more unexpected places. But it's just it's such a again, like a shithead attitude that from our perspective does just make us go off. That's you know, that's that's Marauder fucking off the list, isn't it. Like if we were to ever to do you know, at some point, I'm sure we would have done like a master Killer album club because master Killer, like, you know, it's become a very beloved album, particularly kind of had a resurfacing in the last like handful of years. I would probably say it was my favorite New York hardword album, Like it's a brilliant record, and I would have, you know, again put it forward for an album club. But at some point I kind of skirted around doing so because I didn't want to step on the hard Law podcast host so much, because like they made it so much of a thing, like they are kind of responsible for a lot of the you know, resurfacing of popularity that that record has had, and I didn't want to you know, kind of crib their thing for a while. But we would have got to it eventually, like maybe in the next few months. I don't know, because it's a fucking phenomenal record. But that's that's that off the list now, you know, master Killer is not it's not turning up on the show again, which is just you know, it's always a sad thing when you lose a really beloved piece of art like that, because someone involved has just absolutely trampled over themselves and marginalized members of the community, most importantly in such a just shit head way. So that's again the saddest, realistically serious side of this whole thing. But then he did this whole Instagram thing, and like I said, the kind of tone around this has changed from like, fuck Marauder. I mean, it should still be that fuck marauder, fuck aorhay, but it's also turned into are you all right? Mate? Like what? Because it's turned into oh, I think you have head trauma. I think your brain is bleeding from the inside out. Because when he somehow turns this whole thing and he gets onto a sentence that like, I don't even know if it's correct for me to repeat this, but when he arrives at the quote, you'll probably have already seen the suspect quoting question floating around, and everyone collectively watching this video or reading this transcript does an absolute double take of sorry, what this is? The Charotte the fucking the head to head for the most jaw droppingly stupid hardcore quote of the year has gotten very serious now because we've had my bad slimes. Who will join them in the fucking meathead Olympics of hardcore?
Speaker 2: This agnostic front say something so stupid, please.
Speaker 1: I hope not. He brings up Malcolm X multiple times. It's just it's it's so fucking stupid. But yeah, there you go, Marauder absolutely showing their asses awful behavior, also at the very least doing it in spectacular fashion. I guess I'm gonna say that at the very least, but yeah, fuck that, and solidarity with all the members of the trans community who feel threatened and cast off by by attitudes like this. You will always have a place here. So there you go. Let's move on to some more, more more easygoing news. Vacum happened this past weekend while I was at that big Opeth show, and they announced a whole bunch of their bill for next year. And I think most interestingly, I don't know if these are officially the headliners. I'm assuming they are, Like, I don't know if they have more to announce, but from what it looks like from this post, they put out three headliners for next YEAR'SVACAN Festival. I think there is always some curiosity, both in terms of just like where bands are at in the world and you know, looking here from Afar going who is you know in the position where they're doing this, but also thinking about, you know, our simultaneous festival calendar here in the UK and what might pop up whatever. Three bands are at the top of this vacant announcement are Electric call Boy, five Finger Death Punch and a fortieth anniversary Helloween Show Helloween uh being the old head band for the bunch. Obviously they are German, so like yep, established Vacan, they're great whatever Five Finger Death Punch. We often say how mad it is that they are still relevant, but I guess they are still big enough to headline a festival in Germany at VACAN. Electric coll Boy must be said also German and these German festivals do have a you know, a tendency of course to you know, bring up their own bands and have their homegrown support. But Vacan arguably you know, still right up there with Hellfest, the biggest metal festval in the world, being headlined now by a band who ten years ago were unlistenable. This is some some rise.
Speaker 2: How dare you you love mc thunder.
Speaker 1: Yeah, okay fifteen years ago.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I feel like I never know how big contemporary bands are anymore because I feel like I just blink in suddenly Ice nine Kills or playing arenas and whatever, most less or headlining arena is like who knows. But Electric Collboy, like you can see that growth, like they they've grown so quickly over the last seven years. And I think the German thing probably is a factor. But I see that and it doesn't feel it doesn't feel weird to me. It feels all right. I mean generally, I look at these three headliners and I think that's great. I would have fun at that. I like all three of those.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's it's not quite so. I mean as someone who I'm a big fan of one of these bands, and no it's not Electric core Boy or five thing at f Bunch, I would say the you know, the post hyper hypeie is of Electric core Boy. I have some fondness for I wouldn't call myself a big fan, but you know, they have some songs that I think are wicked fun and even like you know, way back in the day, there are a small handful I will say, a small thought there are a small handful of five things at applance tunes like you know, lift Me Up Speak. So it's not like three bands I have absolute, not every active, destainful. It's not quite like you know, it doesn't doesn't sing to me as like a spectacular trio of you know, all time heavy metal legends does it. But it is quite. It is eye catching when you look at it on the post.
Speaker 2: Like five Finger Death Punch. Have they played Whacking before? It feels so on the whack into me?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I guess it because it's so American. I would imagine sure that they must have played it at some point.
Speaker 2: I'm looking at this post. Yes, children are Borederm, aren't it?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Which is another weird thing that's been going on there. So there's they've played a couple of like tribute shows with I think it's the guy from Lost Society who's been fucking front of them, like you know, he's finished. So so sure, but they played a couple of tribute shows in Finland, and I guess now they are taking it on the road in a you know have named it now Children of Boden, we have the whole like Bodom After Midnight situation for a little while. I'm kind of unsure again about the whole how far that is going, But there is certainly there is a version of Children of Bodom that is playing music right now.
Speaker 2: Ah weird, maybe it all the good, who knows, but I don't know. It's I think I've seen a lot of people take the piss out of this whacking thing. I think it's when you're like traditional metal big you know, old school headliner is Halloween, who are by losers but they're you know, people make fun of Parametal and they make fun of Halloween. So when that's the one.
Speaker 1: Like, yeah, well, English people make fun of it. The Germans all love it.
Speaker 2: I've not seen any German German people's opinions on this. They probably love all this.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I guess, like I said, from our point of view, we're looking here, and it certainly makes you go, where will Electric Core Boy be the next time that they appear on you know, I would imagine they'll play a festival summer, you know, next year. Where will they appear and in what slot will we get you know, five Finger death Punch somewhere, We'll get Hellween somewhere. But whatever, there you go. Certainly a striking trio of headliners coming from from back and next year a few tour announcements. We'll start with the bigger ones. Weezer have come out with a whole world tour basically line up in support of their new album, which is coming out in just a couple of weeks here. It will be in our next Reviews Bag show in August. But this is going everywhere from you know, Tokyo over to obviously loads of North American dates, we do have some European and UK dates. In the UK they are playing Newcastle, Manchester, Leeds, Glasgow, Birmingham, London and Cardiff. It is a arena shows, so they are going for bigger than maybe they you know, once did ten years ago or so. They are playing venues like the co Op Life in Manchester, which is pretty massive. They're also bringing Taking Back Sunday along with them as a support act, which is definitely a pairing that I would go and see, like I would like to go to this. This would be a great time, but big venues for ways of this time. Maybe they are also trying to ride the whole you know that something that we've referenced so many times with the likes of Corn and Deaftones and even Acid Bath like whatever, the general strange inflation of bands that seems to be happening.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I reckon they could. I reckon they could pull it off. I hope so, and I hope it doesn't you know, I hope they don't embarrass themselves. It is ambitious. But people love Weezer, right, people love Beverly Hills, they love hash Pipe whatever. I reckon, I mean, I'll be going even if it's just me and that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeh, I reckon they can pull it off. Whether the venues will be you know, sold out, I am unsure of that. I think the last time they played these arena venues, I might be right in saying, was when they did that tour with the Smashing Pumpkins, right, which obviously the Smashing Pumpkins had the top billing on that and were the bigger pull. I suppose whether they can do it on their own is is yet to be seen. But clearly they think that they can make a go of it. So that's happened in there, and that's happening in May here in the UK, where you also have news of something that I have been waiting to be announced what looks to be the final UK tour of Megadeth, who of course put out their final album at the start of this year. Its like a very long time ago now, doesn't that album? But I have been waiting to see when Megadeth would you know, bring their Farewell taught into the UK because, regardless of what might be said about either their recent output or their recent live shows, even I want to go because Megadeth are one of the greatest having out of all time. They are one of the most important bands to me from a you know, a ripe teenage age, and it is just something that I can't see myself not doing right going to the final chance I have to go see Megadeth with my friends who also love Megadeth and sing along to whichever of those phenomenal catalog of songs they choose to play in that moment. I don't really understand the branding of this tour because you would think Megadeth, It's like when Slayer did theirs who werefore coming up. I think it was all you know, Slayer the Farewell Tour right like it was very clearly labeled. It's like this is the last time that we are going to be going to be here, whether that turned up to be true or not, and you would think Megadeth's Farewell to All. That's how you attract numbers, right, because that's how you know if there's someone out there, some hypothetical guy who is out of the loop, doesn't know that Megadeth are like on that just release their final album, are going to be on their way out. Maybe used to like them when he was younger, and something pops up on his Facebook feed and he goes, oh, Megadeth are playing the Farewell Tour. I'll go to that instead. This is labeled the Megadeth Breakout Hybernation of the Nation's Tour, and the tour poster has their mascot vic Rattlehead kind of breaking out of some like cryogenic freezer, which everything about that screens like, oh, yeah, we're breaking out of a period of inactivity, not we are about to enter inactivity. It doesn't scream farewell tour branding to me at all. I don't understand the marketing decision of the Again, labeling and design of this is very weird, but that is also a package that is going to be bringing along black label society. And Testament along with that as well, and that's going to be coming in March of twenty twenty seven to London, Nottingham, Manchester, Cardiff, Glasgow, Birmingham, Leeds. And they're also going for those similarly sized arenas as Weezer, which again the last time they played the venues was when they were supporting Disturbed, so not filling it on their own backs at all. But I guess they're hoping with the Farewell pull weird marketing decision with the poster and name aside, that they can fill them. Like I said, I'll very much be wanting to attend. A interesting quirk this whole thing is that their date at Manchester's carp Live Arena is on the off night in between Rush is to dates at the co Op Live Arena, the exact same place where Rushi are playing, literally two nights either side of them. Mark, you are already coming down to see Rush with us at the co Op Live Arena. Are we gonna attempt you to come and see Meganeth as well?
Speaker 2: I think so. It will depend on a couple of factors, price, my mood.
Speaker 1: But you know, if you listen to I don't care twenty times in between now and then, I think your mood will take you towards it.
Speaker 2: I listen right. I know that song is stupid, I genuinely like it. I do listen to it a lot. Is really funny. The thing my thing with Meganeth is they're not like a band I love, even though they have records I love and songs I love, They're not one of my favorite metal bands. But I'm gonna be near that venue anyway. It's my only chance, but it's my last chance to see them. I might as well. And like I've never seen Testament, I love Testament. I'd love to see that. Sure, I'll have a lovely bathroom break during Black Global Society let's say maybe, let's say maybe I'm gonna go.
Speaker 1: I would encourage you too. I think you should, because I certainly will be doing my best to get there, because the breakout hibernation of the Nation's tour will be for me at a momentous time, another momentus for maybe some people out there. Announcement is a Radar Festival's first announcement for their twenty twenty seven at Radar Festival is the kind of like tech prog metal festival that takes place in Manchester. It's kind of filled in the niche at ten years ago we used to say tech Fest had that, like that's the kind of vibe of Radar Festival, you know, like seventh and eight string guitar pedal extravaganza. Yeah, but their first headliner for next year is Mick Gordon, the composer of the Doom video game score, playing that live for the first time ever with a full band I believe, maybe an orchestra as well. Like he's really pulling out the stops and doing a full thing. And this is in some ways momentous because the Doom video game score has been one of those like often cited influential kind of pivot points actually on a lot of the sonic direction of like modern you know, you might say tech metal in the last like ten years now since that was released, and I I mean, I've played that game. I don't listen to the score in my own time because I don't know. I'm listening to bands instead. But it's obviously it's a well known piece of music and it is maybe for some people out there who are more that way inclined, a momentous piece of music. So I'm sure there will be lots of people out there who are going to be really interested in seeing, Like I said, what seemed to be really pulling out all the stops showcasing. I think it's cool that Radar have bagged it. Who are you know? Again, they own their niche, but they're not the largest festival in the world, and this is something that genuinely, you know, makes headlines and will like I think, you know, turn heads of people who might not even have considered going to a Radar festival before. So I think that's a good thing for them. That's a really like good headliner to bag. Yeah, I don't personally have a lot of you know, connection or interest really like it's not like for me a must see thing, but I can imagine for some people out there it would be a mussive.
Speaker 2: So that record is like secretly a class like a modern day classic to some folk.
Speaker 1: Like it's a touchstone definitely, even like who are the.
Speaker 2: Biggest metal band? Bring Me the Horizon? You are cribbing from the Doomstone tracks sometimes on like the post Human stuff, so like it is genuinely part of the DNA of modern metal. I don't really like it. It's one of those things that people will be like, if you was a really good but blood pop and metal thing, listen to that, and I'm like, it's it's like, I'm sure.
Speaker 1: It's cool when you're playing rather a morbid thank you very much, you know.
Speaker 2: Exactly I'm listening to. I don't care. But it's also like I couldn't imagine any other festival hosting it.
Speaker 1: Maybe Arc Tangent, but like, yeah, I couldnt even imagine because it's so popular, I could I could imagine doing it like a download second stage or something.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, but it does feel correct for Radar And it's so is he like never performed live or is it never performed Doom? Like I know nothing about this.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I can't speak to Mick Gordon's entire career, but it is it's the first time the Doom score has been played by him with a proper band and everything.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's a really cool thing and I'm sure like it will bring people in and it's an interesting sort of like Curio. Even if you are going to that festival and you don't like that soundtrack, I'm sure it would be really cool. And those like riffs, they are rhythmic and they are you know, jutterering in sort of like a dance music ye way, So I'm sure it really work live, So yeah, I'm sure it'll be cool. And like fair play to Radar for getting a really like outside the box unique headliner.
Speaker 1: Yeah I agree, And I said I think that'd be good for their festivals. I don't know, kind of just just name and word of mouth and everything as well. So yeah, good for them. A festival that if it was nearby to me I would be maybe more drawn too. Is I just want to highlight there's a festival's happening in Toronto, a hardcore festival called Town of Hardcore in October of this year's and it is. It's just a full on hardcore fest, right hardcore. Everywhere you look, hundred demons are playing, Youth of Today areplying loads of names. The thing that's weird about it is there is a pre show that is Dungeon Synth that has a quest Master and Dungeon Troll, which is one of the acts who is playing the Dungeon Synth stage at Fortress next year involved in it is Is this the beginning of hardcore kids getting into Dungeon Synth, Like this is so weird, this is such an like this has been shared around a lot because it's such an out of the box, Like what do you mean there is a Dungeon Synth pre show for what could otherwise be like fucking Sound and Fury or this is hardcore or something? Is this the beginning of like because quest Master is the same guy who is Steroid? Right, which are you know a punk adjacent band? Is there a link being forged there? Because when I was an Outbreak earlier this year, I saw a couple of steroid shirts around. I was like, are steroid? And therefore also quest Master forging some sort of cultural link between a bridge between you know, Dungeon Synth and hardcore. Are we gonna start seeing lots of hardcore artists, you know, doing Dungeon Synth side projects or whatever? Is this the next trend that's going to hit just like death metal did a few years ago. It's fascinating to me. I'm definitely here for it.
Speaker 2: Morts on Outbreak, I genuinely what the hell? I hope so? I because it's so uncool. I know, we think it's cool, but we're like we're previous like Dungeons and we're in the hardcore is cool? The cool thing I would love it?
Speaker 1: Is it?
Speaker 2: Like, I don't know, do hardcore kids like Poison Ruin because that is you know the line.
Speaker 1: The cooler ones do. Yeah, whatever, Bridge and they clearly think this is gonna work because they booked in, right. I mean, maybe no one will fucking go to the pre show day, or maybe it's just you know, it's super small, probably appealing to a very small niche of the people who at the overall festival itself. But if you'd have presented me, for example, the Fortress line up for next year and gone pick one band from this, so you think you're going to be at a hardcore festival, it might have been a while before I got into Dungeon Troll and this is this has opened up I think a realm of possibilities I would like to see explored.
Speaker 2: Yeah, who knows. I mean, variety is the spice of life, isn't it.
Speaker 1: Yeah? And I was gonna mention I didn't put it on the review show a couple of weeks ago. I was going to do it at one point and then it ended up just just being me and Sam and I wanted to do it with Elliott in there as well. But Feif, who is a dundant the artist who play Fortress this year. He's the guy who is also currently the screaming vocalist and keyboard player in Gallo Bray's live band, fIF put out a record a few weeks ago, and I saw it got reviewed in Pitchfork, which was the thing that turned my head about it because I listened to it because I'm aware of who Thief is. And then I saw it come through in Pitchfork, and the Pitchfork argument was like, this is I don't know. They kind of positioned it as a record that would maybe have broader appeal than just the Dungeon Synth heads, which I didn't necessarily hear, but they were like, maybe this is gonna be the the Board of Canada or the Whex Twin or whatever of Dungeon Synth. And if you look in the right places, Dungeon syth is weirdly percolating into lots of areas where Dungeon sentths shouldn't be. And this festival lineup is I don't know, the most dramatic latest occurrence, and I don't think it would be the last.
Speaker 2: No, I feel like we first noticed this with quest Master themselves, because they are weirdly yeah, and have crossed over in a way. We're like, I have friends who aren't as nerdy as us who like quest Master because it sounds like old video games and stuff. So you never know, ye.
Speaker 1: Put one on Sport in the Doom soundtrack and all the people who like you know who like elden Ring will be in that then diagram, I suppose. But yeah, watch this space, I suppose on the dungeonsid phenomenon that is slowly but surely sweeping the world. Lincoln Park have got a new documentary that's coming out called Unshatter, which is quite a clunky title, I suppose, referring to their their reunion and you know, comeback period that they've had. They also have a sort of like I know, tie in soundtrack live album that's going out with that as well. I don't think any documentary will be able to as thrillingly capture the sensation of when on the opening night of their comeback we got to in real time see all those headlines coming out about like wait, she she's a scientologist, she went to whose trial? Like a whole nothing will capture that particular evening, but if I suppose those things will probably left out. Lincoln Park's documentary is going to be coming out in September. This is interesting and appealing to me. I suppose My Dying Bride, who have if you've been following that story, I've had a whole sad falling out where the lineup has sort of splintered into, you know, several versions of them. But now we have basically a whole bunch of original members of My Dying Bride, so Aaron stainforpe the front man who until very recently was in the main My Dying Bride, also bringing along original members Calvert, Robert shaw, A Jackson and Rick Meher. Basically this is all like the original members who played on the first couple of My Din Bride records, apart from the one guitarist who is still currently in Maine My Diron Bride. But they're starting a band called Towards the Sinister, which takes its name from the first My dinn Bride demo, and they are going to be basics playing live playing music from the early years of My Dining Bride, that demo period up to the first four my dinn Bride albums, and if you ask me to magic anything into existence, I would have my din Bride stop this nonsense that has kind of consumed them and just fucking talk to each other again. That it's such a weird scenario where neither side seems to being able to actually communicate with the other one, and I would have them kiss and makeup and just be a proper band again, because I've seen My diron Bride, you know, several times down the years, and I always loved them, and I always loved seeing a mix of setless material as well, like you know, newer era as well as classic era. But if you put this in front of me, a band featuring all these original members of My dine Bride who are playing the fucking seminal some of my favorite records ever, you know, first for My dine Bride and the early demos as well, I would definitely be attending. So yeah, if this comes near me, and maybe if you are, you know, so similarly doom Pilled comes near you, then it's definitely something to check out. A couple of new album announcements as we get towards the end of this slightly lengthy news show. Not loads to report on the new music front this week, but we do have a north Lane have announced their new album, which is coming out on October the thirtieth, and they've released a single from it called Cut It very weirdly fucking typeface with underscores and all sorts. It produced by who else mister Jordan Fish.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, I'm fizziting at the bunghole. Right. We don't like North Lane, but I did check out the two songs they released, and I don't know if this is a new thing. It sort of sounds like Cross Faith.
Speaker 1: It's the one I checked out, had like rapping in it, and I was like, I don't remember Northlying being so new metally.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't remember them having fun.
Speaker 1: It's not that I was having fun.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, this is the thing though. It's sort of the allure of things.
Speaker 1: I like.
Speaker 2: There's big sort of like euroy transcends, and there is rapping and whatever, but the actual metal parts suck the energy away.
Speaker 1: So you know, as as of the case. But if you are interested in north find they have a new am coming out in October. We also have Well. I still think it's a very bizarre album. Announcement. Sleep have announced their first new album in eight years. It's only the second new album of their like reunion period where they put out The Sciences in twenty eighteen and pretty universally regarded as a great comeback album, The Sciences. This is the first album since then, Hemispheres, and they put out a single recently they've got another one now. The album's going to be coming out in September and then October physically for whatever reason. But the weird thing about this, as I said a few weeks ago and the first single, is that this is seemingly the first Sleep album without Matt Pike on it, because Al has bizarrely assembled like a different lineup where he's now the only guy from you know, classic Sleep, and the idea of a Sleep album without Matt Pike on it is very fucking bizarre. So hope fucking knows. But if you are curious by hearing this bizarrely mangled Sleep line up, then their album, the first one in eight years, is coming out in just a few weeks really, you know, early September. And we also have on the Doomy for a new album from Silver Tomb, which is the current Day band of a couple of X Type of Negative members Johnny Kelly and Kenny Hickey as well and Silver Tomb's first new album in a number of years. He put out another Kenn Hicky put another record as part of the supergroup Sun Don't Shine featuring Kirk Winstein and like Crowbar members and stuff like that earlier this year as well, So you know, pretty a decent little period of productivity for him if you are like a hardcore typo fan following everything that's you know, come on since the end of that band. And finally we just go flip back to another UK tour, smaller than the others we're talking about earlier, but still one you're going to want to get to if you are stinkily inclined. Portrayaler Guilt are coming around in support of their new album that came out earlier in the year, quite a lengthy European tour. In November. In the UK they are playing Glasgow at Core Festival and then also headline dates at Leeds, Brighton, Bristol, Nottingham, at Liverpool, Newcastle, Manchester and Norwich. I've seen Petrailer Guilt several times. There is reliably sick as hell live, so if that comes near you get involved. Good stuff right We on the Patreon. In recent times, as we said way back at the beginning of this episode, Mark and I here along with Elliott, have completed a little while ago the four part band retrospective on corn Special, So if you still haven't heard that, then all that is up available for your listening pleasure deep dive into everything that band ever did since then. More recently, this last week, we have recorded and put up an album Club pack where we put together a very eccentric, freewheeling through genres bunch of records where we finally had one of the what many people say is one of the greatest records of all time on album Club with Angel Dust by Faith there more celebrating their return. We also had Within the Realm of a Dying Sun by Dead Can Dance, the self titled record from Social Distortion, a chat which features one of my favorite quotes in this podcast history, and I guess you'll have to listen to it to find out, and also a very bizarre record, Blood Inside by the Norwegian ship shifters. Oliver, Mark, you went on this album Club episode, but I'm sure that you are familiar with a bunch of the albums in question, wild Ride.
Speaker 2: Right, this is such an idiosyncratic just like Bizarre Group, it's a really good it's a really good group. Obviously, Angel Dust I enjoy Faith No More pretty good. I don't know if you know that Dead Can Dance, you know, not for me, but a very interesting album and a very interesting chat. I really enjoyed listening to that, and obviously socially like I love social d I love hearing you have to hear them for the first time, like and.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's a clearing up a blind spot for me. Really that album Club.
Speaker 2: Shout Out Guitar Whoro three and that over record, you know it, it exists, it's there, I've heard it, love remembering it.
Speaker 1: That was the chat. I enjoy the Mode because it's an album that no one talks about like it would. I think it's one of the most, like Bizarre, what do you like? I didn't see that one coming album Club Picks Yes for people we've ever had, I think because people just don't know about this album. But being able to, you know, having the reverse experience of me presenting it to the other guys and being like, what the fuck do you think? It's like absolute, like monstrosity was really for me, really rewarding a real refun I'm glad we did it. So that is available right now up on the that's my Patreon, And this coming week Sam and I are going to revive the Dormant for a few months. T and M does Horror. We're going to be talking about Obsession and the new Evil Dead movie as well, so I'm currently putting the stuff together for that that will be coming this weekend as well. So if you want to support us and you want to hear all those great best podcasts that we do, then patron lock Com Slash, That's the Metal is the place to hear them. Let's end this early August, seventh of August Hyperblasts with the release round up, and it's an interesting batch this time because we start off with what I guess we can now call an album from one of our giant festival headlining bands, which is not what we were looking at this, you know, in the run up to it as being, but it is now Tans Need the new album by Electric Coolboy if not a Mad Light. You know, they're now in the position where we talk about a new Parkway Drive album and you slipped the album whatever Electric cool Boy.
Speaker 2: Years ago.
Speaker 1: Maybe not, but yeah, I guess on that front. With the renewed news about Vacan and everything, I guess I would be curious what people think about, you know, this Electric Collboy album compared to the last one. Whether it's just kind of more of the same hole or if there's anything fresh or new to it, I don't know, but you know, let us know now that is out in the world. We also have the new album from the Master of Horror, John Carpenter, who these days doesn't make any movies, but he does make quite a lot of music, and he has put out a new record called Cathedral, which is a mixture of you know, his iconic soundtrack synth wave style. He's a pioneer that kind of music, electronic music and also rock music is pretty rocking. So if you want to hear that, you know, a bunch of stuff from as we said, the master himself, one of the greatest men who ever live, John Carpenter. Cathedral is out now. Really big week for the punk, hardcore and alternative rock side of things like that is where the majority of the big name releases this week are coming from. So If that is your delectation, you are well served this week. I think. First up we have the new album from Cancer Bats. It is called Give Me Dirt. The of course lovable Canadian punk rogues always happy to hear new Cats of Bats. Then new one is out now. On the alternative rock side of things, there is of course one of the most beloved bands from kind of the early twenty tens, emo revival Citizen, with their newest album Halcyon Blues. Jamie Lenman, the former Reuben frontman turned silo arts for a long time now who has bizarrely seemingly retired from music and then unretired from music and all sorts of his new album Puke, which I think is only available on band camp, is out now today. Ceremony, the American hardcore punk who band who have you Know, then pivoted and gone through all genres like post punk and the like. I think I'm right in saying this record is supposed to be a little bit more of a more of an aggressive one compared to what they have done recently, maybe going a little bit heavier than they have done in recent times. But Ceremony then new album called tell Me Your Dream Over and again the kind of like hardcore slash alternative rock, kind of crossover realm. I suppose there's a band called Public Opinion with the Curse of Public Opinion. And then in UK hardcore we've got Negative Frame with Break the Ice, a debut album there, I believe if you might want to venture from there into more like noise rock terrains, there is a band called Wealthy Women with their album Children. And then we will round off a few more releases from the world of underground extreme metal. We have got Holder, one of the more hotly tipped exciting black metal bands of the current decade. I loved, absolutely loved her last album and spoilers. This new one is pretty damn good as well. Whole. This new album called VERBALGM, is out today. Dimner Lutfa a band from Belarus. I've got an album called Vieraj dim Na Latva are a very interesting band. I spent a lot of time earlier this year doing a very lengthy Metal Hammer feature about them because they have a very crazy, quite harrowing at times story of essentially fleeing Belarus due to you know, political dictatorship and repression and stuff, fleeing into Ukraine, which was then immediately invaded by Russia and how we do flee out of Ukraine into Poland and obviously that the whole insane chain of events with him. But they're a very interesting band in terms of again they're being very outspoken about these kind of things. They're kind of in the post black metal with a bit of doom sort of crossover range. And I think that this album has features from the likes of Aaron Stainthorpe from my Dine Bryde and some other folks as well appearing on it. So if that sounds interesting to you, then that album is out there as well. And then finally, if you might fancy a little bit of Scandinavian death this week, then there is a band called Horror Fire with an album called Revelations of Gore which ends our at least round up for this week and ends this hyperblast. Thank you very much for listening. Obviously, this weekend is Bloodstock. I am not attending in a very rare turn of events, This is a very rare Bloodstot that I'm gonna be missing this time. But I hope that if you are there then you have a great time. And why we will not have a review episode next week, as we normally do because we're not there. Hopefully you have a fabulouscasion if you are there. Instead, we will keep on chucking forward here and that's not we'll have more hyperblasts. We'll have a reviews episode you know, soon to come. But like I said, right now, we are going to be working on the the appplop pack has just gone out, Tina, does horror come up as well? We have another band special actually coming very not far in the future. I'll keep the under wraps for now, but you will know soon enough and then more to come from there. So see you back here next time. Cheers for listening, everybody. Bye,