Speaker 1: In a world where fairways meet the airwaves, where Birdie's and banker collide. Welcome to the show that takes you beyond the clubhouse and onto the green. This is Balls and Teas, your passport to the golfing universe, where every swing tells the story and every part has its punchline. Get ready to step onto the large screens and dive into the world of divets, drives and delightful better.
Speaker 2: All right, ladies and gentlemen, It is the one and only Tony Tone, the Magician the world with a lot of play and as you know, I am a classic man. Ladies and gentlemen, Welcome to yet another episode of the one and only podcast that's worth listening to when it comes to golf talking.
Speaker 3: That's Balls and Teas. Man.
Speaker 2: Am I so excited to be here on a Wednesday evening. Halting Weather Victoria weather as a whole has been quite fantastic lately. A bit of clouds here and there, but overall it has been sunny.
Speaker 3: And we are now in.
Speaker 2: April, so this is the first episode of April, and I can tell you, ladies and gentlemen, that we've got beautiful things coming. Apart from us having launched our video podcast. We are joined by someone who is involved in the revolution of golf, and I will be introducing him in a few minutes. But as you already know the drill, before we even get to the cracks of the metal, you need to get yourself and ice cold glass of water because it's gonna get hot here tonight. We're gonna have a lot of fun with our guests, and he will be telling us what they are busy with on his site. And yeah, as you know, it goes on. So ladies and gentlemen, give me a two minute break, and then let's quickly make sure that we bring our guests in because he's been waiting for us with anticipation. He's as excited as I am, and I'm sure there's a lot that he wants to share.
Speaker 3: So let's go for that two minute break and then we will be back.
Speaker 2: All right, ladies and gentlemen, As I said, today's show is going to be heated. I already had one full glass of ice cold water and I'm on my second one. But let me not delay anymore because our guest has been waiting for us, and I can see the man is ready to speak and tell us what has been happening in space? Please help me. Welcome mister Mike Johnston, Mike.
Speaker 4: Tony, thanks so much for having me. I've got my is called water by my side and there's.
Speaker 5: Discussion awesome stuff.
Speaker 2: I'm sure that I was called water is just to cool yourself down because there's so much that you want to discuss with us of.
Speaker 5: Courndre Listen, Michael.
Speaker 2: So, I tried introducing you, but I don't think that I've really done justice to your name. So would you mind reintroducing yourself to our audience and then I just tell them exactly who you are, what you do, what's happening in your space, and then we can get into our discussion afterwards.
Speaker 5: Sure.
Speaker 4: So my name is Michael Johnston. I have been in the golf industry now for three years and I work with Gofer Essay. So where it all started for me? And I think it's always nice to just give a bit of background. So I studied at the University of Pretoria and I was doing a becom business management.
Speaker 6: I wasn't quite sure exactly what I was going to go into.
Speaker 4: And I ended up doing my honors in marketing, which was you know, a lot based on social media and stuff like that. So straight out of my honors here, I went to a social media company and I.
Speaker 6: Found that I enjoyed what I did. I liked social media, but I didn't enjoy it as much as the people I was working with. They loved it and I liked it.
Speaker 4: So I found that after work, I was just so keen to get home and you know, I have a little bit of free time, Whereas the people that I was working with. It was three girls who were super hard working, and after work they were searching Facebook strategies and Instagram tips and coming up with suggestions late at night.
Speaker 6: And I just found that I didn't have that spark. I didn't have that passion towards social media. So after that I went, I took a few months off and I went into sales. I was promised the world for this job, and it was so different to what I had been told.
Speaker 4: Yeah, was basically cold calling and I would be dropped off in let's say, wit Bank or Sekunda or wherever it is for the day. Sometimes it would be two to three hour drive and I would knock on doors selling PABX systems, telephones and internet.
Speaker 6: Yeah, So I did that for about four four months.
Speaker 4: That were probably the four hardest months that I've experienced, and one day I just had enough. I was getting screamed at every morning. It was basically like the Wolf of Wall Street, if I'm honest. And then I took a few months off after that, and while I was unemployed or in between jobs. However, you want to say, one of my friends in the golf industry Michael Farson.
Speaker 5: So he's the.
Speaker 4: At Central Cartoon Golf Union, and for his events, I hopped out with the scoring for a while. And I mean the scoring was all right, but you know, I wanted to really get involved in the golf industry. I've been a golfer myself since I was fourteen. I took up the game quite late, but I mean I've always like, since I started getting into golf, I've like, I get obsessed with it, you know. And I was doing the scoring, and after that I got into Mike needed me to manage under thirteen team at the IP team, and I remember I had little background knowledge when it came to rules and tournaments and stuff like that. And all the managers sat in this meeting and Dave Young, who I work with now. Golfer Essay was the tournament director at the time, and I remember them talking us through the rules and how the tournament's going to work. I really had such little knowledge that all I was doing is nodding my head in that eating And I remember there was a time, I think it was a Day two or day three, we were in between holes and Dave came up to me on the cart and we had a little chat, and I just said, Dave, like, I can see how inspired you are about what you do, and I would love that, coming from jobs that I just didn't quite enjoy it before, I'd like to get involved in the golf industry. And Dave said, listen, we don't have any openings at golfer Essay at the moment, but I will let you know. So I carried on with the scoring for a few months, and I remember it was but mid December, just before my I got an email saying that there was an opening in the handicaps department at golf Essay. So from that day on, I mean, I went to the interview feel like it was probably my best interview that I've done so far, just because it came so naturally.
Speaker 5: You know I.
Speaker 4: Sometimes in a job interview you can try to be someone that you're not or you're trying to impress people. But golf was something that I actually did care about and that I was passionate about. So the interview went really well. Fast forward three years were here today and essentially Golfer, I say, is the you know, the national governing body for golf in South Africa, like you have the USGA and the RNA, or you have Golf Australia with the governing body for South Africa. So I got involved first of all with the handicap side of things and the course ratings and the slope ratings.
Speaker 6: So that was very cool as a golf for myself.
Speaker 4: I was travel the country playing different courses because one of the awesome perps about working in the course rating side of things is once you've rated the course, which a lot of people confuse with the ranking. We didn't rank the golf courses like the top one hundred, but we rate the difficulty of the course. And so once I got into the course ratings, what's really caused after you do the actual rating, you play the course so that you can obviously compare notes with the other rats, so if we rated the one nine, they rated the other nine, we could kind of compare notes and make sure that we've got accurate colors.
Speaker 5: Okay.
Speaker 6: So I really really enjoyed that.
Speaker 4: And as I've progressed, we've introduced a new project that came through from the RNA, and it's called Golf Sixers League, And essentially we realized that golf are essay that we do a lot for the elite player. So you know, we're definitely trying to get young golfers into the game from a younger age so that they can play at that elite level.
Speaker 6: And we want our tournaments to be a level where they.
Speaker 4: Can progress and play, you know, one day on the European Tour or the PGA Tour, the world to live, whatever it is. But we felt like we weren't quite doing enough for the beginner golfer, you know, the player that hadn't ever stepped foot on a golf course.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and the.
Speaker 4: Golf Sixers has been really instrumental in getting beginner players from grassroots level who have that intimidation factor and have never played golf in their life. It gives them the chance to get onto the golf.
Speaker 2: Course that's interesting. Just a quick one there, Mike saw Golf Sixes. From my understanding is that you guys are trying to involve people who haven't played golf just to make sure that they get the right basics and get into the sport and enjoy it as much as people who have been playing golf. Please correct me if I'm wrong there, or perhaps there's something that I'm missing there.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I think golf has always been seen as this exclusive, expensive sports. Yeah, and.
Speaker 4: It makes it difficult for new beginner players to get into the game because it's got that intimidation factor.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: So what we really wanted to achieve through the Golf Sixers League is just to make golf fun again. You see in other sports, for example, with crickets, we've been now in South Africa, we got the bed Way SA twenty and for example, I'm just gonna do cricket as an example, but I mean they had they were doing test cricket for years and a lot of people, traditional cricket fans or traditional cricket players were hesitant to go to different formats because that had been the way that it had been done.
Speaker 6: For years since the Ashes.
Speaker 4: And as soon as TEA twenty started, you see a lot more people getting involved in the game of cricket. The sports started to grow, and a lot more people started playing, a lot more people started watching. And now you'll see that the IPL for example, which is a T twenty tournament, that's where all the money's at. So we wanted to do something similar with golf sixers and just to make the traditional game of golf fun again. So we wanted to make it accessible. You know, golf is a very very expensive game, Tony. Yeah, and I mean now you know, a lot of clubs are charging within one thousand and ran to go play around a golf which the average person can't afford or doesn't want to pay. You know, it's only a select few that have that kind of money. So golf is a very expensive sport, and we wanted to make it accessible. We wanted to make it affordable.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and.
Speaker 4: Team based as well, you know. So what we do with the Golf sixers is it works on a Texas scramble format.
Speaker 6: So let's say, Tony, you and I are.
Speaker 4: Two junior beginner players, which obviously we're not, but let's just pretend.
Speaker 6: And if we were on a team.
Speaker 4: So we would both hit our drives and then we would choose the best shot out of our two. Then we would both play our second shots from that chosen ball.
Speaker 5: Yeah, then we would choose the.
Speaker 4: Best second shot and play from there, and that would go on. Even on the putting green. We were choose, you know, the best part until the ball goes and goes in the hole. So that's kind of the format. And we wanted to make golf because it's such an individualistic sport, we wanted to make a team based and I think that's that's really what the Golf Sixers League is is all about.
Speaker 3: Mm hmm.
Speaker 2: And then and then, so far since the inception of golf, sexes has been the intake from the general public.
Speaker 4: So I think with with any project, you know, getting it off the ground can be difficult, and people are so used to a certain way of doing things. Found with so obviously working in the with the World Handicap system. When we first brought the World Handicap System into play, and so that twenty twenty, we had a lot of hesitation because people were so used to the old handicap system. And I think once once you start getting a little bit of momentum and a few people start relaxing to the idea. That's when exciting things happened. So with Golf Sixers, initially it was it was difficult. We had a lot of clubs that were very hesitant to host events because you know, they had no proof of concept, they hadn't seen it work before. And you know, since I think we started our first Golf sixers event was it was the beginning of July in twenty twenty three, and so it's been going on for just over a year half and so far we've we've introduced about eight hundred golfers to the game of golf. So our main goal with that is getting those beginners into the game so that they don't have that intimidation factor, so that they can play with other beginner golfers and eventually, you know, those players can become a member of a club and get a handicap index and start to love the game that.
Speaker 6: We all love.
Speaker 2: And I think what you guys are doing is actually very key because I mean, if Golf six's main objective is to attract new players into the spot, which is what everybody wants to see the spot growing, Getting new players in the market. I really really think it's that it's a nice deal and like you're saying, once somebody gets the whold of things, they can then start being affiliated with certain clubs, which is I think the most intimidating thing for people to say, I want to start playing golf, but do I necessarily have to have a membership from the get go. So what golf SEXSS is doing from what I'm gathering, is that you guys want to bring people into the game, let them enjoy and make sure that it's fun. It becomes a team spot instead of an individually based sport. So big ups to you guys for doing that. But now I would like to find out right you mentioned that you are with Golf RSA and golf Our say you've been part of it. You guys came up with the concept of golf secses. But from obviously golf ours and being well established and golf sex is being a product there of how have they been is how have golf been instrumental in making sure that golf clubs participate in what the golf sixes are doing?
Speaker 4: So I think also the golfes say name has quite a lot of credibility behind it, so you know, we do a lot for the golf clubs and we're always trying to improve and we're always trying to do more and to make the sport enjoyable, to grow the sport, and we really you know.
Speaker 6: Essentially it's like a rules official.
Speaker 4: Like rules officials, a lot of people get the wrong idea and they think that they are to get you, and.
Speaker 6: You know, their job is really to help the player.
Speaker 4: And our job, as golf say, is to help the golf clubs and to make their life easier.
Speaker 6: So I think.
Speaker 4: What we try to do with the Golf Sixers League is work with the golf clubs. So you know, you don't want to sell this idea of golf sixers lead to the club and there's nothing in it for the club. So we do make sure that the club is at least remunerated for some of their green fees that they might have lost. Because golf sixers works with six holes, so it's a six hole routing. And obviously most courses, especially you know, I'm from joe Burg, so most courses in joe Burg got eighteen old courses. So to find a routing, it can be difficult sometimes to find an exact routing that starts and ends at the club house, that is six holes, and we found that when we first started it, we would let's say, we would go from the frontis, which is usually the red teas, but because it was beginner players, even that was far too long and we were promoting Golf Sixer's League has been something that's that's fast paced and exciting. But you know, players were taking over three hours to play six holes.
Speaker 6: So what we needed to do is we.
Speaker 4: Went back to the drawing board and we said, okay, we need to make this course so that it's not a drag for the players, it's not too long for them, and they still get excited. You know, you don't want a player making a ten on every hole, so we do have a maxi limit of ten shots. But what we did is we made the holes let's say for a path three, it would be on average about one hundred meters. Our powers would start from close to one hundred and fifty marker and our part fives close to two hundred.
Speaker 6: So we would set our own mind beckers closer to the green.
Speaker 4: And then that made sure that you know, our Golf Sixers events were a lot quicker and the kids were staying engaged because as a kid, if you do something for a long time, you know, you can get distracted so easily.
Speaker 6: So we wanted to make it as quick as possible.
Speaker 4: And I think what's been really really key is getting the parents involved. Yeah, so the parents often come with and they'll come on a golf cart, and we encourage parents to come to our Golf Sixers League events because you know, they get to spend a bit of time with their kid and their kids are having fun playing with their friends or playing with new players. And the parents often help with the scoring and you know, coaching their kid when they get a little bit down or a bit frustrated, and that really, you know, it makes it fun for the players and the parents.
Speaker 2: M I know, And just another question there, Mike, I just want to find out when it comes to intake, what would you say is the crucial age for someone who would like to join go sixts league?
Speaker 3: What from what year do you take them in and up to what year?
Speaker 4: So in terms of age, we are targeting so because it's an RNA initiative and the RNA seemed Juniors is the best way of getting people into the sport.
Speaker 6: We target.
Speaker 4: You know, I guess your junior players would be anyone under the age of eighteen years okay, and obviously you're you're you're really young players. It's it's awesome to see your five and six year old, those tiny kids just swinging a golf.
Speaker 6: Club with their little tiger clubs. You know, it's awesome seeing that and how excited they get when because we don't do prizes.
Speaker 3: So.
Speaker 4: Because it's not the focus is not to worry so much about your sports, to start enjoying the game of golf. So we just give everyone a medal at the end of each event and just to see, like a you know, a five to eight year olds, the smile on their face when they get that medal at the end is so fulfilling.
Speaker 6: But having said.
Speaker 4: That, you know, we've had we've had sixteen seventeen year olds at our event who have absolutely loved it. And I think, you know, perhaps before before they were just a little bit scared to get involved in the game of golf because they didn't want to look.
Speaker 6: Like a beginner. They didn't want.
Speaker 4: To be the one that's holding up the field. So yeah, we encourage anyone, I guess under the age of eighteen, any junior who is a beginner or has a handicap of over.
Speaker 6: Thirty six to get involved in the Golf Sixers.
Speaker 2: Okay, that's beautiful, And I just want to find out from you, as part of the team that actually organizes our plans Golf Secers League, what has been the most memorable moment for you since you started working on this project.
Speaker 6: We do a.
Speaker 4: Lot of work with the South African Golf Development Board and Golfer I say, do a lot of work with the South African Golf Development Board also known as the SAGDB.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and the s a GDB.
Speaker 4: For those who don't know, gives opportunities to players from underprivileged backgrounds and gives them a chance in life and it gives them a chance to play golf from a grassroots level. So with the Golf Sixers, we've got our Golf sixers events that we do on occasion. We usually look to do those during the school holidays. Yeah, but year around, we also collaborate with the SAGDB and we have s a GDB Golf Sixers leagues. Oh well, Now these are tailored to all those underprivileged players, players who might not get the chance and we look at those very beginner players. So we have inside Africa, we have fourteen golf unions. Okay, so within the SAGDB, we've got a manager for each region. So what we've done is each manager runs their own SAGDB Golf Sixers league in the in the region and we've we've given so many opportunities to players who wouldn't necessarily have the ability to play golf if it wasn't for the golf sixers leagues. Yeah, so that's been Yeah, that's been really really crucial and I think that's been the most rewarding part of golf sixers.
Speaker 6: So one of our one of our.
Speaker 4: O that we gave to For example, we had a league in Pumlanga, SAGDB Sixers League in a Pumlanga and I mean Leopard Creek, as most of you will know, is the number one course in South Africa.
Speaker 6: I was privileged enough.
Speaker 4: To go there for the first time in twenty twenty three. So what we did is for our golf sixers league that we had going on in malalan Is, we said the top two teams could go play at the par three course at Leppard Creek.
Speaker 6: So we had two teams each of six.
Speaker 4: Players, and we had a full golf sixers event there at the par three course, and it was just awesome to see the smiles on their faces. What we've also done is for the Open recently, which is at Urban Country Club, we brought similarly, we had two of our teams from case it In that came first in their league, and they walked with some of the players during the program. So we had six players that walked with Charles Schwartzel and his group, and then we had another six players who walked with Casey Jarvis and their group. And afterwards they had a little short game clinic with Volco Ninaba and Rupert Kaminski. And for them, I mean, they absolutely loved it. And Volco and Rupert were amazing, you know they were They said, like, I'm not giving out any.
Speaker 6: High fives unless you guys smile. They said, like golf, golf is supposed.
Speaker 4: To be you know, I think the kids were at first, and he said, golf is supposed to be a fun game. Yeah, it's not supposed to be taken so seriously, and they made it so fun for all the kids involved. And I think just seeing the impact that it had on their lives. Is that's the most rewarding part about what I do and what we do through the Gulf Sexers.
Speaker 2: Awesome stuff. Now, I just want to ask you, Mike. I mean, there's tournaments everywhere. You just mentioned that when you mentioned longer for you as a part of the team. What are some of the logistical aspects involved in managing and administering all these leagues across the country. I mean, how do you go about making sure that you've got the energy and you're always on time and you make sure that things flow all over the country.
Speaker 4: So to have the energy all the time can be difficult, But I mean I think from a logistical point of view, the way that we try to run it, especially with the SAGDB Golf sixers leagues, is we give because the SAGDB manager knows his players and he knows his regions so well, we give him the authority to and the freedom for him to run the league in a way that works best for him and his players. So each manager comes up with their own golf sixers league and after each game they submit all the scores and then my job is to on the back end and you know, put in all the scores board and send it back to the players. And in terms of our golf sixers events, we started and most of our events have been in Central Karteng, So from a logistical point of view, one of our big plans is expansion. Yeah, and our aim at the moment is to get the proof of concept and to have the process so nailed down that once we've had all these events in Central Karteng, we can almost choose the specific role player in each region and expand the project throughout South Africa. But as you know, starting something, it starts off small, yeah, but you have to You just have to keep working on it and keep working on it and eventually, you know, it blows up.
Speaker 2: I don't know, but I think it goes with time. Like you said, I mean, it's only about a year and a half and you've got over eight hundred people enrolled with Class six Sleeku, which is close to one person signing up a day. So I think you guys are doing a great job and I look forward to seeing more of these tournaments around South Africa. I look forward to see more juniors being involved in the fact that you're trying to incorporate a family friendly environment where the parents are also asked to also party and make sure that the kids are enjoying what they do. So what the product that you guys haven't I don't want to lie. It is quite a phenomenal product, and I wish it came through Alia like in the early two thousands because if that was the case, I believe that we would have created more and more proper golfers within South Africa. But with that being that, Mica, can we go for a two minute break and then when we get back, I just want to put you on the spot a bit and make sure that I frustrate you with some of the questions that I haven't.
Speaker 3: Learned for you.
Speaker 6: I'm kid, Let's do it.
Speaker 5: I'm just kidding.
Speaker 2: There won't be hectic questions, but it's more around the sport itself, to say how have you seen the sports grow over the years? And then you mentioned that you started at fourteen, and I believe that something must expect you to actually start. So when we come back, let's get into that. Let's find out where your golf is sitting and then let's see where golf sixty sleek is also hitting.
Speaker 5: Let's do it, Tony awesome stuff.
Speaker 1: In the world where fairways meet the airwaves. We're birdies and banker collide. Welcome to the sure that takes you beyond the clubhouse and onto the green. This there's balls and teas, your passport to the golfing universe, where every swing tells the story and every part has its pipes lay. Get ready to step onto the last greens and dive into the world of divids, drives and delightful better.
Speaker 7: Invisible Ink Consulting your gateway to financial success. We specialize in providing the best solutions to manage your finance and accounting, ensuring a better life for you and your business. Our expert team offers top notch accounting and tax consulting services tailored to various industries, including but not limited to, engineering, medical practitioners, in construction, nonprofits, events management, attorneys, and financial services Experience the power of our best analytics back to I commitment to our clients in a high level of knowledge and Invisible Ink Consulting, we strive to deliver the best service you can get, making your financial journey seamless and rewarding. Choose Invisible Ink Consulting for a brighter financial future. Your success out priority. Please visit us at www dot invisibleink, dot co, dot seta to reach us www dot invisiblelink, dot co, dot Zeta.
Speaker 2: Ladies and gentlemen, it is yet another another beautiful session you head from the get go. Now we're getting into our second segment where we put people on the spot, and I have to say, Mike has just been like he's just killing.
Speaker 5: All the questions that I have.
Speaker 3: Now I'm out of questions.
Speaker 2: I don't know what I'm gonna ask you, but I will find a way to make sure that I put the men on the spot. So listen, ladies and gentlemen. If you do not know who is joining us today, it is Mike Johnston who is part of RSA and he plays a crucial role when it comes to the Golf Sixters League, which is tarketed at new players, new golfers, people who are interested in golfing, especially juniors. Anyone from the age of five to eighteen years is allowed to come through. So the whole idea is to make sure that golf is fun and also encourage the mindset of being a team player, because, like Mike explained, we tea often then we choose the best lie te T shirt and then we move on so and so. So ladies and gentlemen, let me not take too much time, and now let's bring back mister Mike Johnston. Underline, Mike is still with us.
Speaker 6: I'm still here.
Speaker 4: I still.
Speaker 2: I think I need to refeel when it comes to that, but I'll do it later on. So Mike, like I said in our second segment, this is you know, you know, you know, people always like saying people are being roasted.
Speaker 3: I don't think this is the rooster.
Speaker 2: I would say that this is the grill because it's cool, We're going to have a lot of fun, and it's general questions. I don't think there's anything out of the ordinaria. So let's talk about Let's talk about you as a golfer. You started at the age of fourteen, but what spocked you to actually get into golf at that time?
Speaker 4: So for me, I actually was as I said earlier, I get obsessed with things, and.
Speaker 6: For my first obsession was actually cricket.
Speaker 4: And I remember so I actually lived in for those who don't know, I lived in Tanzania for you, when I was in grade three, so up until about the age of eight, and when I came back, everyone was playing sports and everyone, all the cool kids, all the kids that I wanted.
Speaker 6: To be friends with, were playing crickets.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 6: And one of the one of.
Speaker 4: Those people actually also named Tony, Tony Desorsi, who now is opening batsman for the Proteas. And I just remember I watched Tony and I was like, this guy is so cool. Yeah, and I just I loved watching him bats and I was like, man, I really want to I want to be like like Tony. And yeah, I took up cricket and that was my first thought. That was my first love. Then at about fourteen, I went to the driving range with my grandfather and my grandpa's been playing golf for sure over sixty years. My grandpa's Eddy nine and he.
Speaker 6: Still plays golf now or for I think he's about a twenty handicap. Yeah, And he took me to the driving range and he tried to get me interested in it, and I just, Tony, can I be honest, I didn't enjoy it. Yeah, And I didn't have that initial attraction like I did for cricket. And then yeah, I remember, it usually happens when you go with a friend. So what happens for me, because I'm quite a competitive person by nature. I'd made a really good friend through cricket when I got back from Tanzania in grade three, and he was playing golf, but I didn't I didn't really know how much golf he was playing. And we went to the driving range when and this was after I, you know, golf isn't for me, went to the driving range with him and his dad and he was hitting the ball about two hundred and twenty meters or two hundred and forty meters, and I thought, wow, like it's going to take me a long time to now compete with this guy. But it burnt a little bit of a fire in me, and I was like, Okay, well, now I need to prove that I can at least hit it past one hundred meter marker, you know.
Speaker 4: And I remember his dad came to me that day and he said, if you can get it past the one hundred meter marker, we'll go play nine holes.
Speaker 3: Yeah, oh lovely.
Speaker 6: And I swung as hard as I could.
Speaker 4: I think it probably took me about one hundred balls tony, but I got it done.
Speaker 6: I got it just past one hundred meter marker.
Speaker 4: And that day we went to go play nine LS at Daneford.
Speaker 5: Oh that's nice, man, And I think.
Speaker 4: It's just once you play golf on you once you experience it on the course. For me, I'm still someone who I can't stand the driving range. I will only go there if if I'm critical but stable with my golf or anyone. Yeah, but normally, you know, I'm one of those players where I can have a terrible round on the range. I can well a terrible time on the range, and I can have shanks and it just doesn't go well, and then go out onto the course and you know, I have one of my best rounds. Yet It's just I think I see the game so differently when I'm playing versus when I'm on the driving range. So once I got that opportunity need to actually get onto the court, then I fol absolutely.
Speaker 2: And I mean like, I like the fact that you're very honest to say at first I really enjoyed it at all. And then uh, going there with your friend it did something to you from a competitive nature to say, listen, this man cannot hit balls further than me. I'm going to challenge myself to actually do better. And I think you actually hitting that one hundred meter mark.
Speaker 5: It's what.
Speaker 2: Actually, it's interesting to me to say, what feeling did you get after getting it right and making sure that you hit that ball so far? How did you feel within yourself and what's the first thing that came to mind afterwards.
Speaker 4: It's a cliche in the golfing community, but there's always that one shot that brings you back. And even if you have the worst round of your life, there's always that one good shot that you hit and you think, you think at the end of the of your round, like, oh, I'm I'm done with this game.
Speaker 6: I'm going to sell my clubs.
Speaker 4: I've had enough, And on the last hole you will have one shot that you didn't quite.
Speaker 6: Expect that was, you know, a pro could hit.
Speaker 4: And then you go you go home and you like and someone will say do you want to play golf tomorrow?
Speaker 6: And you're like, yeah, yeah, cool, what's out of time? You know?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 6: So I think there's always that one shot.
Speaker 4: And I remember that first round that I played, Obviously getting it past one hundred meter marker was a big step for me at the time. And then when I played I actually I remember it was it was a sixth hole, it was an eighty meter PAT three and I took out a driver because obviously, you know, ever at that point was on the same day and it was one hundred meters so to card of driver.
Speaker 6: I hit it on the green.
Speaker 4: That was the first green i'd ever hit, my first birdie pat I ever had, and I sunk the birdie pat.
Speaker 6: So my first round of golf ever I had.
Speaker 4: A birdie, which which yeah, I mean, you know, I got praised so much by my friend and his dad. I think he was a little bit jealous. But that was that really made me go, okay, cool, let me give this a go.
Speaker 2: It's quite interesting because I mean, like, like you said, your first round of golf, you hit a birdie, and I would presume that's like the one of the most memorable moments you've had on the golf course, Tony.
Speaker 6: I don't.
Speaker 4: I don't birdy that whole often anymore, so it must have been a complete fluke. But it brought me back to the game, like you can't.
Speaker 3: Believe, no, no, no, lovely.
Speaker 2: And then for you, so far since you started playing, what has been the most challenging aspect of your golf.
Speaker 4: To be honest, the mental game is by far the most difficult, and I think you see it on the pro tour as well. I'm currently playing probably the best golf that I've played so far. I'm currently a scratch handicap and it's taken me. I have been scratched before, but it's taken me a long long time to get back here.
Speaker 6: Yeah, And I think what the difference was is letting go of that self doubt on the golf course, because often I would get that. You know, I'd play scratch league or for any sort of tournament, and my mindset was so different compared to when I was playing with my friends. I had this unnecessary pressure that I had built on myself and you almost get that. Well.
Speaker 4: I mean, in my case, I had imposter syndrome. On the golf course where I was playing, maybe offered to handicap at the time, and all of a sudden, people on the first.
Speaker 6: T go, oh, too, handicap.
Speaker 4: Yeah, your first shout out of bounds and already you feel like you've got something to prove the whole day.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 6: And when I hit a bad shot, I was getting very, very frustrated with myself and what I've done recently in the last few years.
Speaker 4: Which has really really helped me in tournament players, just to take the context out of it. Yeah, so as a kid, I mean, and you know, going into a few years ago, actually, when I had a pat Let's had a pack for par, I was almost telling myself a story about how important this pat would be to sink in my head. And I was saying, oh, this is a part pat. You don't want to miss this because then you go to three over par. And you know, I was making this big build up rather than focusing on what was in front of me.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 4: So what I've what I've been doing recently, sorry to interrupt, is I make sure And I got this advice from one of my friends, Chris Long, who is a brilliant golfer, very very good golfer currently playing on bush Fold.
Speaker 6: He's played a few Sunshine to events and he often caddies for me at Club Champs, which is a huge advantage over the other players. What he said to me is when you.
Speaker 4: Just focus on getting the best stroke and how you're going to get the ball to where you wanted to go, focus on your line and focus on how.
Speaker 6: You're going to get it there. And as soon as I started taking that story.
Speaker 4: Out of it, I found that I was thinking more puts and on the tea box. I wasn't thinking about where the danger was. I was, you know, looking at where I wanted to go. So even if I made a joke and said, oh, don't want to go and the trees on the.
Speaker 6: Right again like yesterday, he would say Rabbish like, what trees?
Speaker 4: You know you aim in the left side of the fairway with a little cut, and that's your target. And as soon as you you know, as soon as that self doubt started, and it still comes, I'm not gonna lie to you, but as soon as you can work with that self doubt and and try to get a positive thought before you hit the golf ball, try to go in to each shot with the best mindset possible, your golf really does.
Speaker 2: Transform no one. Now, I just want to find out. My earlier on you mentioned that one of your roles throughout golf RSA career was to review golf courses. Now, of all the golf courses that you've played in, which one would you say showed you a challenge? And would you even go back to that same course again and try your your best with it again?
Speaker 6: For me, it's let the creek.
Speaker 3: Yeah, didn't me.
Speaker 4: I know, I know that it's it's number one in the country, and I promise you I'm not getting paid to say this.
Speaker 6: Because it is. But that of course is built different. It is an experience. From the moment that you get through through the Malolan Gate, Leopard Creek is a story on its own. That golf course.
Speaker 4: I mean from the first hole, you've got the leopard statue, and there's a leopard statue somewhere on each hole, and it's a story of the day in the life of a leopard.
Speaker 6: And I absolutely love that. I think it's it's so called, it's such an experience.
Speaker 4: And besides even the experience of it, just the way that that golf course is designed and the way that it's manicured. I don't think that you could get a golf course in South Africa that actually compares. Yeah, but also in difficulty mm hmm. That golf course ate me up. And a lot of people don't know is that it's also closer to sea level than you think. So I was expecting to hit the ball a lot further when I went to left the creek and it didn't go. It didn't go like that. I was hitting a lot of golf ball short.
Speaker 6: Yeah, but what an experience.
Speaker 4: I mean, that's if I ever get the opportunity to go play that golf course again, if I'm ever lucky enough, Yeah, I'm keen to take it on again and take it in my stride.
Speaker 2: Mike, we are approaching the end of the segment, but I just want to find out from you man.
Speaker 3: Now we re to golf taxas leak right.
Speaker 2: You mentioned that the most ideal position that you guys want to find yourselves in is to have a large footprint across the country, just to make sure that everyone starts getting involved in the spot.
Speaker 3: But with that being said, I.
Speaker 2: Just want to find out how how would actually people get hold of golf success or be a part of golf success. What processes are there to take and how do they actually contact you guys.
Speaker 6: So on.
Speaker 4: On our website, we do have a bit of information when it comes to Golf Secers League. We are currently looking to redesign our website. We've started doing a lot more social media posts when it comes to golf sixers, So I think the best way would would probably be to reach out directly my email address is Michael Johnston at golfer sat. If you want to get a bit more information about the Golf Sixers League and what it's about, you can go to our website golfers a dot or you know, follow us on social media. And what we're looking to do now is also through the use of TikTok.
Speaker 6: We've started using that for promotion of more of our Golf.
Speaker 4: Sixers leagues because you know, I think that's where we're going to find a lot more of the youth and those beginner players and those players who aren't golfers but would be open to the idea of getting involved in the game.
Speaker 2: And then, lastly, before I let you go, Mike, as a project manager for Golf Sixers, is there any changes that you actually would like to see coming up in the near future within whether it be the structure of the league itself, whether it be certain rules within the league itself. Is there any just that you believe need to be taken into consideration to actually make sure that it sticks to its coviator, which is to increase the number of players and make sure that golf is more fun than people actually perceive it to be.
Speaker 6: I think we.
Speaker 4: Want to definitely expand, and like anything, if you do the same thing over and over, you get stagnant. Yeah, I don't think I could pinpoint one thing and each and every event. We're learning, and we're growing and we want to make it better. So we are so open to feedback from players, from parents, from golfers themselves, and I think the next step is just to to grow it so that people really do start seeing the value in getting beginners into the game and making the game more accessible, more fun, more affordable.
Speaker 3: No, one hundred percent.
Speaker 2: But with that being said, Mike, I just want to extend a large, a huge, huge thank you to you to say thank you for joining us today and thank you to everyone around you who's allowed you this time to join us. Thank you to Golf RSA for being incremental in the development of golf in South Africa and making sure that all golf clubs are bide by the rules that's been set out by the necessary committees. Thank you to Golf Success for actually saying, you know what, we need more younger players in the spot. Let's find a way to make sure that as much as we incorporate or we integrate younger players, we make sure that it still stays fun and relevant for them because as a child, you want to do things with your friends and much more than you actually want to do things alone. So I love that you guys have structured it in a way that even if it's an individual spot, there's that team element and the fact that you can choose the best balls. I mean, it creates that competition environment, but in a healthy manner. So big ups to you and the team for actually doing all of this. And yeah, man, I look forward to seeing U ten pro or going to on the amateur tollement because your scratch goal for your as good as the plus the plus twos and the plus three is day.
Speaker 6: I don't know about that, Tony. There's the reason why I work in the industry as well.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but I mean, I love my golf and this conversation has been so cool.
Speaker 6: It's been so nice getting to know you.
Speaker 4: You are such an awesome host, and I love what you guys are doing for the game of golf as well. You know, I think having these conversations and making golf more human again is what it's all about.
Speaker 3: No, one hundred percent, mister Johnston. And as I said.
Speaker 2: A big, big, big ups to you and everyone around you for giving us this opportunity. And for me, this conversation has been an eye opener because I didn't really understand how golf success work, but after you explained it, it makes better sense. And I have to say this out loud every single individual that's listening now, and every single individual who has a child playing different sports, it's never too late to try and enroll your child for golf. Like Mike said, he started going to the driving range with his grandfather and it wasn't fun. But when he went with his friend and the dead friend the friends dead, it was a lovely experience because there was a challenge presented to him and he had to go for it. So I have to say once again, Mike, have a lovely one and thank you. Please continue doing what you're doing golf golf successes. I believe that we will be seeing an influx of more and more young golfers, and obviously the whole idea is to make sure that we create professionals and we create professions within the industry to make sure that the sport continues to live on.
Speaker 6: Thanks so much, Toney, it was an awesome experience.
Speaker 2: Thank you, Mike, you must have a lovely one, sir, same to you, Toney, all right, child, all right, ladies and gentlemen, it is the end of our segment today and I have to say what an insightful conversation with Mike Johnston, who is the project manager for Golf Success League. And guys, please, whoever you are out there, let's get our children. Let's get our youth into the sport because it is such a lovely sport. There's a lot of core values that one can develop, there's a lot of networking that takes place, and it is a family ronment, family friendly environment where parents can actually play with their kids as well. So please let's continue pushing the sport itself. You're preaching the sport to whommever that we know who doesn't play the sport, because from me to you, I have to tell you even myself, my first day on the Dravage was not the most love list, but with the competition around me, because there was about twenty six other kids around me who started playing golf the same time that I did, it drove me to actually want to improve on a daily basis. So, ladies and gentlemen, with that being said, I have to say audios, I love you guys. Please continue to support this podcast. We are available on YouTube and you will see some cool interviews on YouTube where we've interviewed pros, We've interviewed champions, We've interviewed some of the best coaches they are in South Africa when it comes to golf, and uh what else a parallel and equipment store owners. We've interviewed them. So go out there check out our YouTube. It's still balls and tees and please share the word. Make sure that we create noise about golf. There is nothing that's better than golf. Like I always say, if you're working tomorrow, please go to work, do what you have to do. But for those who are not working tomorrow, be on the golf course. And then if you work on Friday, then I need to intervene because Friday, Saturday, Sunday it's golf day. Monday to Wednesday it's work time. For those who are working on Thursday. Don't quote me, but you've got to do something and start playing more golf. With that being said, ladies and gentlemen, the magician, the boy with a lot of Flair, I am Tony Tone and I am signing out thank you.
Speaker 1: In the world where fairways meet the airwaves, wait, Berdie and Banker collide. Welcome to the show that takes you beyond the clubhouse and onto the green, the balls, and t's your passport to the golfing universe where every swing tells a story and every part has its punchline. Get ready to step onto the large greens and dive into the world of divets, drives and delightful better