Speaker 1: It's time for Coffee and Company, fueled by Thornton's on Sports Talk seven nine day. Now, here's Nick Coffee.
Speaker 2: All right, let's get it started at five o'clock hour here on a Thursday afternoon. It is Coffee and Company. This is Coffee and Company. It is it always will be. Should I say it is?
Speaker 3: Or this is?
Speaker 2: I feel like this is is probably more fitting? Right, Yeah, I'm with you there. So let's the side. It's when we come back and you've already like the experience is already ongoing, all right, Coffee and Company, the three to six party that is is ongoing. So whenever we come back from break and maybe we just got a new batch of listeners, that's what they need to know that this is Coffee and Company and we are fueled by Thornton's.
Speaker 3: I'm sure you knew that already.
Speaker 2: If not, now you keep in mind if you've not signed up to become a member of the Refreshing Awards program at Thornton's, I'm not sure what the hell I can do to get you to sign up. I mean, come on, I've given you for years now all the great incentives you get by being a member. I mean I question your judgment if you're not, but maybe this will put you over the top. Maybe you've been on the fence, you've been thinking about it, but maybe now you're saying, Okay, Nick, I'm finally in. Maybe it's the free red bull you get by signing up. Maybe it's twenty five cents off per gallon you get when initially signing up. So again, proudly feel about Thornton's. Make sure you sign up today. If you haven't. Refreshing Awards dot com is the website, download their app on iTunes or not iTunes, but Apple, I mean, if you have an Apple phone and iPhone, which I guess that's the only phone Apple has, right the iPhone, or an Android device, if you've got an app store, whatever it may be, you'll find it.
Speaker 3: It's easy.
Speaker 2: Just search Thornton's or search Refreshing Awards and it'll be right there.
Speaker 3: All right.
Speaker 2: So I mentioned at the beginning of the show today that I have been summoned to appear in jury duty in Bullet County, and I feel proud to be selected. I mean, I know a lot of people get annoyed, Oh well I got to go to jury duty, not me. I received my juror summons yesterday and I opened it feeling ready to serve. My community, says dear perspective juror, you have been selected to serve as a juror in the Bullet County circuit. In the Bullet County courts. You are someone to appear at the following place, day and time. Failure to appear may result in a finer jail time. Even if you believe you were disqualified from serving or asking to be excused from jury service, or are asking that your service be postponed, you must complete, sign, and return the enclosed juror qualification form within five days after receiving this summons. Also tells me that you know you can be Yeah. Says here that failure to comply with this summons as punishable as contempt of court Krs twenty nine at one fifty. That sounds pretty serious if you ask me.
Speaker 1: So.
Speaker 2: I'm going to be there on Wednesday, September the twenty fifth, at nine o'clock in the morning, ready to serve. But that did lead to a lot of people sharing some jury thoughts, some jury stories, I guess I should say. On the text line, this text says, my wife was on a dui jury where the police cam showed the whole thing. It was the road my parents live on, and one she's driven probably a thousand times. It's a very straight road. He was weaving all over the place, and when he got to the driveway a block from my folks, he claimed that he got home. Okay, so there was no case. There was in fact a case. So I guess this guy was claiming that he lived there, and then you know, a juror could confirm that he did not. But they would know that in court already, wouldn't they, Like if if on the and by the way, that would be embarrassing, right, like if you get a DUI and you embarrass yourself other than of course, you know, just getting arrested for driving on the influence, which you shouldn't do, but like you make a fool of yourself, like being there sober in court seeing yourself drunk.
Speaker 3: That would be tough. Yes, that'd be terrible.
Speaker 2: I mean, be tough to see it just yourself. I would never want to see it. If that ever happened to me, and I shouldn't say ever happened to me, nothing would be happening to me. I would be doing something that I would be responsible for. It's not like, oh, what are you gonna do?
Speaker 1: Uh?
Speaker 3: Bad luck?
Speaker 2: Got a dui, you know what I mean. So, but man, that would be tough to see, especially again if you made a complete, you know, fool of yourself. What are the what are the most common things that people get out of jury due to four? Like traveling, probably like work assignment.
Speaker 3: Maybe like a family emergency or something. I feel like that would be something that should If it's not, it should qualify as an excuse.
Speaker 2: This is wild, this says, uh, this was not me, But my dad was on a jury for a murder trial back in the eighties. He told me most of the jury members felt like the guy did it, but the prosecution did a bad job of presenting of presenting the evidence, so they had to acquit him. Six months later, he killed someone else and was convicted for murder that time around. Damn, that's pretty that's pretty heavy.
Speaker 3: That stinks because like that puts you into the mind of some jurors, like you can make up your mind, but you also have to kind of go off of the evidence presented. If the prosecution sucks, then I guess the guy might get lucky as he did, but seems like it was undeserving.
Speaker 2: I don't know what kind of case I'm gonna get.
Speaker 3: But you want the most hardcore stuff.
Speaker 2: I'll tell you this as I'm reading some of the stuff that came in earlier in the text line, I don't want any sad stuff.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that could be tough, Like I got.
Speaker 2: Enough, I'm sensitive enough to things. But like if I am, you know one of the However, many jurors there are that are responsible for, like you know, determining like a like sometimes people end up being charged and going to trial for crimes that like quite clearly they committed and it is against the law, but like you can find some rationale as to how that happened, you know what I mean? Like that would make it tough. Yeah, Like, I'm sure there are countless people, and there are good examples. I'm sure of that. I just can't think of off the top of my head here of people who were acquitted of a crime that everybody knows did but like the jury was like, yeah, we're not gonna we're not gonna say that they're guilty because we actually think they had good reason to do what they did. I'm sure, that's happened many times. This says I was on a jury for a custody hearing for a foster parent that was accused of sexually Yeah, come on now, sexually abusing.
Speaker 3: Should I keep reading this?
Speaker 1: No?
Speaker 2: This, I read the beginning and I thought it wasn't gonna be too bad. And now I'm going more into the full part of the text, and like, this is something that would make me sad, but also maybe there'd be a part of like, yeah, hell yeah.
Speaker 3: This person's guilty.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna be on a jury that is, you know, part of the process to putting this son of a bitch behind bars.
Speaker 3: Should I wear the suit or no, oh, you're wearing the suit?
Speaker 2: Yeah that was especially for the most Yeah, Like I'll walk in, like I'll show up with a with a suit only on one suit by the way. I had to buy a suit for my buddy's wedding last year. But I'll show with a suit and a briefcase. They'll think I'm there to like be a criminal defense attorney, But I'm big no here here reporting for jury duty on a jaywalking case.
Speaker 3: But I show up prepared. The defense attorney may be less stressed up than you.
Speaker 2: Yeah, this says, And I do love some of those memes in TikTok videos where they like they'll they'll show like a picture of an attorney that just does not look uh, you know, well put together, doesn't look like they're about to walk into the courtroom and do the damn thing. And they just show pictures. Yeah, this is your attorney. You're going to jail like this guy. This There's no way this guy's going to be a good uh a good you know, public defender for you. Uh, all right, last one. And I'm fascinated by this stuff. I'm a true crime junkie myself, which I guess has me, you know, feeling pretty excited about a potential, you know, And I say potential, I gotta go. I'm gonna show up. But I guess a lot of people in the text line have said that they've showed up for jury to do only to be sent home. Why do they send you home like that?
Speaker 3: I guess it gets settled or somebody gets postponed. This says.
Speaker 2: Some weird ass dude drove fifty miles with a loaded gun, texting his X one hundred times that he was going to kill her and her new boyfriend. H he drived, drove to the wrong house on the right street, and cops wrapped him up right away. Suddenly he wasn't going to do anything. It was pathetic, to be honest. Nobody wanted to be there. His ex didn't even want him to get in trouble, and they all just wanted to move on. Weirdest part of all. I ended up finding out that I like jury duty. Oh trust me, the text line is not full. But there are many that have said they did jury duty they found it fun. So you know, I'm one of you. I hope it's fun. Maybe I'll find out that it's not fun.
Speaker 3: I hope you're reading the verdict. How does that go? Like that works? I think the jury decides like collectively, who like the spokesperson is for everyone. I could be wrong. I think that's how it works though.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and then others have said, you know, the best way to get out of jury duty is to this day and age just to claim you have COVID. Well, I mean like, actually, if you say, hey, I'm not feeling well, they're probably just going to go to it. Like how can they prove that? Right?
Speaker 3: Yeah? I guess they wouldn't go to extra lengths and anyway, check what do I know?
Speaker 2: But I feel like anybody I know of that you tried to get out of jury duty was effective in getting out of Jerry duty. But why do you think it's always been chalked up as a.
Speaker 3: Oh man, I got Jerry duty, Like, what would be so bad about it? I guess the worst case scenario. I guess there's probably many cases that wouldn't be good, depending on your personal situation. But if it was an inconvenience to like maybe plans you already had, yeah, depending on when you're again, that's completely random, of course, Yeah, you have to do it.
Speaker 2: I can't relate to this because I love my job and I mean that seriously, and I think people realize I'm not, you know, just trying to be a company man, which we already are here, but like a lot of people hate their job. If you get to go to Jerry duty, not go to work, Like, wouldn't you want.
Speaker 1: To do that?
Speaker 3: If I hated my job, absolutely, I'd much rather be it Jerry.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I just I'm curious as to why it has just turned into like anybody who brings it up all yeah, like you got to go to the dentist and get a root canal or something like.
Speaker 3: I don't.
Speaker 2: I don't get it, but maybe I'll learn. I mean, in fact, I am going to learn a lot about it. Maybe I won't be as high on jury duty after I have been part of said Jerry.
Speaker 3: With all this talk, I feel like you're just gonna be one of those that does don't even have to do anything, Like you just show up and they say, oh, okay, did you're dismissed?
Speaker 2: What if I say, well, could I be on standby in case you guys need an extra juror for any of these other cases. I'm I'm ready to serve my community of Bullet County and here these cases be, you know, be there in the you know, as a jury member throughout testimony, evidence, discovery. I'm just throwing out words that I hear on law and order, and then you know, I'll be the one that you know, decides if this person is guilty or not.
Speaker 3: They probably do all the cases in Bullet County at like the Hillview Lounge or something, right, you mean, like where they took place. That's probably where all the cases will take like where the jury will be at Like, what do you mean, like the court case whatever wherever it is you're going to be at. No, it's in court. I know that. I'm just talking. Thought.
Speaker 2: I thought you were saying that, like the most of the cases will be will involve something that happened. I wouldn't be shocked if there if there have been a few, right, I mean you never know. Yeah, Look, I love County Line. But again I'll say this, you never make plans to go there. You end up there. The night takes you.
Speaker 3: There, just like Jerry Duty.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so I mean, I don't know if Jerry Duty is going to require the instant stripping of all your clothes when you get home and throwing them in the washer and then taking a shower. Again, I can say it because I'm I'm I'm like, we can take digs at Bullet County, John, because we are Bullet County. So, like you know, everybody, the County Line is a great place, but it's it's also a place where you can still smoke inside.
Speaker 3: But you can't do that anywhere in Louisville. That's crazy.
Speaker 2: So there's a lot of people who come there just knowing they can sit at a barstool and light up. So you know, you leave there smelling like an ashtray.
Speaker 3: I mean with Kurt Signetti. That may be my place to go.
Speaker 2: Now, oh dude, that's going to be the Indiana watch party.
Speaker 3: It is, I'll call him up and reserve the entire building.
Speaker 2: How many Indiana fans do we have in Bullet County?
Speaker 3: How many?
Speaker 2: How many of there are you?
Speaker 1: Right?
Speaker 3: If I had to guess, I'd probably be somewhere less than fifteen. And that may be too many.
Speaker 2: No, no way, Bullet County's a big county. Now, I mean, I heck, in my street there's two people, one on my street, one on a street over that has like a Hoosier flag.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so you know, I guess I just assume everybody's Kentucky, that's Louisville.
Speaker 2: But that's what's wild, and I don't I've never really understood it. I would never expect the Kentuckyana area to have the trio represented equally Louisville, Kentucky, IU.
Speaker 3: But we do live.
Speaker 2: Right on the river. And Indiana has a humongous fan base. Now I know a lot of them aren't here in southern Indiana or in Louisville, But like I've never understood why Indiana has never really taken off as a distant third local that just is always discussed and talked about. Like clearly there's coverage of IU within our market on television, and I think those people do a good job. But like I go to New Albany, I see thee but louis of Indiana, Louisville and Kentucky fans.
Speaker 3: I feel you're right, and I get that this may just be a shot in the dark, but I feel like a lot of it is because especially in basketball. I mean, I mean football for sure, but they haven't been relevant consistently enough to really be talked about on a larger scale when it comes to their history in the last twenty years.
Speaker 2: But in basketball, like they still they're always good.
Speaker 3: They're always a big deal, and to say good, they're always popular among Indiana fans. But if they're not making noise like they were in twenty thirteen and even twenty sixteen, I mean, nobody else seems to really talk about it.
Speaker 2: I guess you're right, Like if Indiana was rolling, we probably would hear more. Cause again, if you like, if you're an Indiana fan in the Kentuckian area. And what I mean by that is in Louisville or in southern Indiana. You know, let's say from from Jeffersonville to you know, to Henryville or something like that. Like you probably know that you're outnumbered, and the teams that outnumber you as far as fans are Kentucky and Louisville fans to where like, if you know you're outnumbered and you know you're not as good as them, you're not gonna be as yeah, boisterous, But you know, I've always always thought that was kind of odd. How even in southern Indiana, I don't feel as if I you as their team.
Speaker 3: You're right, And this is a very small sample size, but when I was in elementary school, there was probably a lot more Louisville and Kentucky fans right across the river where I was, And that was always weird to me as a kim, Like why are people cheering for the teams that aren't even in the state.
Speaker 2: Yeah, maybe there could be in somebody's already texted on the text line with this, and I think there's certainly this is part of it. There are a lot of people who live in southern Indiana that grew up in Kentucky, in the state, or in Louisville, you know what I mean, to where like, yeah, it's just there, you know, or and heck, I know there are at one point. This is way back, you know, way back before you and hore around long before. You know, there were a lot of people because of jobs I think in like the sixties, maybe even as early as the fifties that came from far eastern Kentucky and lived in southern Indiana up in like Scott County that area to where you know, their roots are still Kentucky, to where they're you know, it's it's it's BBN. But you can't escape them.
Speaker 3: You can go anywhere you can't see them.
Speaker 2: I mean, you can go to Pluto, you can land on the moon. You'll run into some guy in a Louisville or any.
Speaker 3: Youth's probably aliens in Kentucky shirts that we've never seen before, and as soon as you walk by, they'll throw you hit that l's down for you, Just throw that l's down at you up in space because that they just can't control themselves. It's just it's it's a thing, you.
Speaker 2: Know what I mean, Like I always say again, like, I don't say this to like make a bad joke, because it's really not that funny. I'm telling you, wait till uh wait till family starts sending out Christmas cards or you know, getting the fall pictures done. They'll families of Kentucky fans. They'll take a bunch of candid shots, you know, some just the kids by themselves, some of the big family, one with mom in the in the daughter, one with dad and the sun, you know, mix it up, and then they'll make sure they get that family shot. Everybody throw those l's down, kids, We got to get this one with a Christmas card. Like, you know, it's just it's they can't help themselves. They love throwing l's down, no matter who they're playing, no matter where they are, l's down. It's like a reflex thing, right, Like you just can't control it.
Speaker 3: Anyways, we'll move on.
Speaker 2: Are we talked to little Basketball yesterday? Because I was just, you know, I was once again kind of second guessing myself, Like, am I being a crazy homer here for thinking that John Rostein's dorky ass is just completely hating on Pat Kelsey picking Louisville eleventh in the ACC because I'm thinking that sounds ridiculous. But then again, I'm like, well, you know, brand new team. You were the worst team in the conference the last two years. Yes, you did great in the portal, but it's going to take some real proof. It's going to take some real results before people start looking at you differently. Because when they think of Louisville right now, even though they know you got better because I knew you couldn't get worse, they know you got better players, they still need to see something before they start looking at you as a legitimate team. And I think that's understandable. But then again, look around the ACC. So I still think Rostein was way off and thinking Louislle on paper, it's the eleventh best team in the eighteen team ACC Basketball League. And to make me feel even more so like Rostein is, you know, on some nonsense here is to see the Athletic, which, by the way, I mean, let's be real, and yes, I'm only saying like if John Rostein would have had him at number three and the Athletic would have had him at you know, number eleven, I would have said the opposite here. But you know what, this is how we're gonna do it. The Athletic is way more legit than Rostein because the Athletic has Louisville at number three, big difference when it comes to eleven. And I'm not saying like they're going to be the third best team. But when we were talking, we were talking yesterday about just like the rest of the league, like who you're scared of? Who do you think is going to be like really really good? And you know, me thinking Louisville could be a legitimate top five ACC team despite being the worst team in their league the last two years is more so to do with the league not having anybody you should just be scared of like that, That's the way I see it. So Louisville is at number three, with North Carolina number one and Duke number I'm sorry, North Carolina number two, Duke number one, No real surprise there. And then again Louisville at number three. Number four is Miami, Number five is wake Forest six, Pittsburgh seven, Georgia Tech eight, Clemson nine Virginia. That's a little surprising, but I don't know, Tony Bennet hasn't really been good in a while. Number ten in c State, So you know, these preseason rankings in basketball, just like football, don't really mean anything because as soon as the season actually starts, you forget all about it. You have results, you can get a feel for really where you are, and you're not even referencing or thinking of any off season, preseason rankings, whatever you want to call them. But I would say if you, you know, if you look at Louisville at number three and think that's being a little too bullish on Pat Kelsey's first team, and you look at number eleven and think that's like two simistic put them at five or six, and I think, you know, I could, I could totally. I think that's you know, anywhere between honestly, anywhere between four and seven. I think would have been no reaction, like, yeah, I could kind of see that. But I will say this, I mean, I was surprised to see them at number three, But also again, when I look at the rest of this league, and I look at what Pat Kelsey's brought in from a personnel standpoint, and I've watched this team play, and I know they played nobody in the Bahamas that is going to give you a similar look that the ACC is gonna give you. But they mean, the personnel, the way they're going to play, their style of play, the balance and depth that they have, Like, there's no reason why they can't be a top five team in this league.
Speaker 3: All right, let's get to a quick break.
Speaker 2: We'll come back on the other side, and again we'll talk about this G five meeting that's going to take place. I think it's a bad idea, but you know, maybe they're just looking out for themselves. Also, if you're a sports better like myself, you're gonna end up having to pay the price in this fallout of fan duel and DraftKings not adding a surcharge. So we can get into that at and we'll keep the party rolling along. We're taking you up till six o'clock. Right here, Coffee and Company fil about Thornton's on Sports Talk seven ninety. It's good Kanye West here. I missed good Kanye West. I mean I can still find his music, but I don't think we're gonna get many. Well, everybody's got their own preference. But the Kanye that I really enjoyed as an artist and as a talented creative artist, I don't think that guy's with us anymore.
Speaker 3: If you know, what I mean. Yeah, he's. He seems to have changed his personality, identity, whatever you want to call it, a few different times throughout his.
Speaker 2: WORL and like I now don't believe he's. I don't believe he's when he says things, I don't think he's. Any of this is for attention. Like I think he's just not there, like you know what I mean, like.
Speaker 3: He's got something wrong with them type of thing.
Speaker 2: And there's been someone I don't know who it was. There was somebody I think used to be a publicist, used to be somebody that was in his in his entourage, a paid staffer for you know, the AA world, And they've come out and basically said, somebody needs to help him because the people that he's is with our helping him obtain some type of medication that's like, you know, I guess, frying his brain. But anyways, that was good. Kanye West, all Right, I just did a record. I just recorded a commercial during the break for a for a you know, and an ed company we're about to bring on. And man, I'm I'm we're gonna finish strong John. Let me just put it that way. Let's just doing the read as me fired up ready to I mean, because you got to be really energetic. You know, I'm trying because I told you how bad I wasn't recording commercials a couple of weeks ago. So now I'm trying to trying to find my inner Tony Venetti and just you know.
Speaker 3: Like really deliver like to my game is on.
Speaker 2: It was Bat's commercial, which is legendary. The best part of an Eddi's commercial is a key. They'll give you copy and really it depends on how you deliver, how you read. But more often than not, if they want a thirty the copy is too long and you have to or they give you a sixty in the copy not sixty seconds, so you got to fill. And Venetti has just a gift of like saying the same thing like five dollars, that's right, five dollars and just like you know, ad living some of the commercial to where he fits it right in in sixty seconds. That's why he's the best at delivering commercials. I don't think we'll ever see anybody in this business better than the Walking infomercial, The Walking whoor that is Tony Vinetti my idol. All right, so quick, college basketball slash NBA numbers to share with you that I found to be interesting. So this College Basketball Report Twitter account. They do put out some pretty interesting content every now and then. But they have the all time points leaders NBA's all time points leader board by college and their highest scorer. So probably not a shock to Kentucky fans that in the NBA Kentucky players have scored more points than any other college. That didn't surprise you, right, John, I mean they've no, They've put a ton of guys in the league over the years, but Dan Hissel still is the guy who has the most the most points. So he is the all time leading scorer for Kentucky in you know, in the NBA, and I think he is as well at Kentucky. So like Michael Jordan is at number two for Carolina, he wasn't the all time leading scorer for North Carolina because he didn't play there four years, but he is the all time leading scorer obviously in the NBA for Carolina. Number three UCLA Kareem abdul Jabbar. Number four is Duke as far as the amount of you know, NBA points from the Duke Blue Devil program. But the guy who has scored the most. This confirms something I've always believed but never really and this doesn't prove it. But Duke for being Duke. Some of their best college players, the guys you remember that really were big as far as the Dukie brand won titles or a title part of special teams. They didn't end up having like great careers in the NBA, like you kind of still think of them, Like, for example, JJ Reddick had a hell of a career in the NBA. He did, he was a good player for many years. And he also, you know, is now the Lakers coach. But I can't be the only one that when I think of j Rieddick, I still think of him at Duke just because he was he was the face of college basketball. He was a great villain, and he was literally an unbelievable player. So Duke has put a lot of guys in the league. Again, they're number four on this list, but their leading scorer in the NBA is Kyrie Irving. Like maybe I'm not giving Kyrie enough credit for being, you know, the great player that he was, But I don't know, like I would have expected it to be somebody else. I mean, Kyrie only played five games at Duke before he got hurt and you know, didn't play. But yeah, like the best Duke players that I can think of in my lifetime, they they haven't gone on to be like like Zion has a chance to do that. But here we are, what fire five years into the Zion era and he's kind of yet to really escape the Yeah, the guy's pretty good when he can play. And there's also some guys who are really good that just you know it. It didn't hit like Sheldon Williams was.
Speaker 3: Great at Duke.
Speaker 2: He was a flame out of the NBA. I mentioned Reddick Jay Williams. I'm gonna say this, Jay Williams is no is not exactly, you know, a super popular guy in the media world. I don't feel like he is. I think, you know a lot of people don't really care for him. But he was so good as a player. Like anytime I criticize something he said as an analyst, and it's never personal, although sometimes I do think he had like he did some Kenny Payne stuff that was a little much. And again I talked about it. When he does games as a color analyst, he thinks he's doing a radio show instead of doing an actual game and it pisses me off. So I'm not a big fan of him in that world. But he was a bad man at Duke. Honestly, straight up, Him and JJ Reddick are the two best Duke players I've ever seen. Carlos Boozer really good player at Duke, but like you know, decent NBA player, Sean Battie, a journeyman in the league, Elton Brand. I'm actually surprised Elton Brand's not the all time leading scorer for Duke. Grant Hill, that's one he had a great career. Who else, Bobby Hurley, that's before my time, Laatener we all know how that worked out. So anyways, I just I've always felt like Duke is deserving of being up there because of what they've done, mostly in fact, all of it was Shoyzhsky, right, However, like I don't feel like any like have they ever had a guy that was the face of the NBA. And maybe that's a hard standard to hit because how many guys can ever actually say they were the face of the NBA at any point, But like with Kentucky, they certainly can. Michael Jordan obviously, Kream, Abdul Jabbar Kansas is number five. They've got Wilt Chamberlain. They can certainly say that. So those are your top five.
Speaker 3: And again.
Speaker 2: UCLA is weird here just because UCLA is you know, their history is really just one era that was so long ago. And I feel like if we're gonna like in my lifetime, I'm thirty six years old, UCLA has two two, maybe one title in my lifetime, So like I kind of feel like it's really it's disingenuous to continue to claim that they are one of the elite program.
Speaker 3: Like it's been.
Speaker 2: And again there's what makes it, what makes it easily dismiss. It's easy to dismiss for people that like, no, they still count because they're not irrelevant, like they're like they were in the Champion, they were in the final four not that long ago, like they're every now and then. They're pretty good. But like it, when it comes to being a program that is mentioned as the elite of the elite, you know, how can you claim that they are one of those whenever their their last title came in ninety five. Before that, they hadn't won one in twenty years since nineteen seventy five, So like they're always going to be an outlier just because they're different. They won so many titles so long ago, and they made final fours in the two thousands, Like it'd be easy to just write them off and not consider them if they didn't have those final fours during the bin Halan era. Help Nick Cronin took them to a final four. But like, they so don't belong with the rest of these five other than the fact that they won so many titles with Wooden. So again, wouldn't you say if you asked the most casual college basketball fan that has just enough knowledge of the sport to be dangerous, if you asked them to say, all, right, five best programs of all time in some order, they would say those five, would they not? Yeah, that's fair Kentucky, Carolina do UCLA in Kansas.
Speaker 3: I don't know that they would even say UCLA for That's what I.
Speaker 2: Mean though, Yeah, yeah, you're right, because you know, you'd have to be a casual old because again, their last they've won.
Speaker 3: They'd almost say Yukon before Ucla.
Speaker 2: So if you're fifty years old, you can still claim you've only seen one title for you for UCLA, Like, I mean, that's crazy not. Yeah, So the rest of this and I'm not going to read the whole list, but the top five is pretty predictable. As far as the programs six through ten, I wouldn't say that it's like, you know, super surprising, but Michigan came in at number six. That really did surprise me because I can't think of many guys in the NBA that played at Michigan that were like all time greats.
Speaker 3: Is it the Fab Five? Pretty much?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 2: I mean tier I mean, but only one of the Fab two of the Fab five ended up having like legitimate careers in the NBA that would be remembered, and that's Jalen Rose and Chris Webber, which, by the way, I mean they were they were great when they were great. You have Glenn Rice as well, who had who had a long run way back in the day.
Speaker 3: He had Lewis Bullock.
Speaker 2: But the all time leading scorer in the NBA from Michigan kind of a trick question, not really a trick question.
Speaker 3: This guy played for.
Speaker 2: A long time and he was really good, but nobody like I bet I would be willing to bet that notable NBA player that people know remember, they know he was a journeyman. They you know he played in the league forever. In fact, Jamal Crawford played for twenty seasons. I bet a lot of people who know a lot about his pro career, if put on the spot, would not be able to tell you that he went to Michigan because he's only there one year and it was in nineteen ninety nine when he was there. So he's their all time leading scorer. I mean, I would imagine Chris Webers probably probably was the guy when he retired, But Crawford played for again twenty years in the NBA. He still looks the same as he did when he got drafted. Indiana is at number seven, John, and I have no problem in admitting this. I have never heard of the guy who is their all time leading scorer in the NBA. Might be because you know, he was born in nineteen thirty nine and he played in Indiana from nineteen fifty eight to nineteen sixty one. But he was the first overall pick. Walt Bellamy.
Speaker 3: Okay, I know Walt Bellamy had no idea he was an Indiana guy. No shit, did I say that. I think it was we'll dumb, but just in case, I can't believe I did that. We're back though, sorry about that.
Speaker 2: I don't think I said it, but you made the right call, and it just we'll move on because we don't have a lot of time left anyway. I'm a little irritated at myself because I think that's only the second time that's ever happened to me and radio. Really just mid conversation, I said a curse word, but I don't know if I fully said it.
Speaker 3: But still it was close. It was very close. Definitely wasn't the full.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and you didn't like you didn't miss out on me, just like oh, I wonder what he said it was at R rated No. I just instead of saying no, no way, I said no sh But I think I actually got more.
Speaker 3: Of the three quarters. Yeah, exactly exactly.
Speaker 2: So anyways, Walt Bellamy is Indiana's and then we'll round out the top ten here and I'll tell you where Louisville came in. Arizona's number eight, Jason Terry is their all time leading scorer, Ohio state number nine, John Haletchik, and then Michigan State number ten, and that is Zacharandolph. A lot of big ten representation here, all right, so Louisville, it looks as if came in at right around twenty. They don't have it numbered here, but I think it's twentieth. And there's no real surprise that their leading scorer all time is Darryl Griffith, and it will be Donovan Mitchell unless something crazy happens, because Donovan, of course is you know, is on pace. I'm sure to break that before too long. Maybe I'm getting ahead of myself, but like what Donov Mitchell's done as an NBA player as far as numbers right, obviously nobody's gonna nobody's surprised to hear that he's a great player in regards to like, you know, he's clearly an all star. But like for him to get more love at the top of the NBA, he needs to like take a team to the finals, which is easier said than done. But I mean, if you just go look like, I think even Lowell fans would be surprised to cease to see statistically just how amazing Donovan has been as a pro from a numbers perspective. All right, quick break, We'll come back on the other side and finally get to something I've been mentioning but haven't really discussed and there may not be a whole lot more to add to it. But the G five are they reading the room? Are they going to kind of are they gonna be the ones that actually create this separation between highest levels of college football? And then you know them, we'll see it. Sounds like they're going to talk about it next week. All right, one more segment to go. It's Coffee and company. Feel about Thornton's right here on Sports Talk seven ninety. No more curse words, I'm sorry. So, throughout the college Football Playoff era, meaning the era where you just got four teams in the only G five team that made it was Cincinnati, and they're not even G five anymore. They've moved up to the Big twelve. So it's not really a surprise to see that there's going to be a potential new college football playoff that features the G five teams that are not you know, that are not from the Power four, which of course that used to be called, you know, the the Power five. So in a way, I feel like, if you initiate this whole thing and you create your own version of your own playoff that features teams from the American Conference, Usa, the mac Mountain West, and Sun Belt. I mean that's basically letting the power, you know, the powers of the powers the powerful people, I should say at the College Football Playoff know that, like you, you know, you're kind of confirming you'll never get more than one. But then again, like this is about survival, and if they could still have one team get in and then they do their own thing and it's a big television deal that brings more money to be shared among that level of college football, that's what they need to do. I mean, it's about survival at this point. And I think just the G five just sitting aside, existing in irrelevance and knowing that only one of their teams is going to get a shot like that wouldn't really be a fun way to go about it. I mean, to be honest with you, who's left in the G five as a team that you feel like just doesn't like it just doesn't make sense. I mean I kind of feel like we've already had it weed out, you know what I mean, Like the fact that now Cincinnati, Central Florida and.
Speaker 3: BYU and Houston.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean like I kind of feel, you know, Yukon's independent in football, but like they don't matter. I mean, you know, weird they could be included in this too. And here let me tell you this. I would be willing to bet that if they did a G five college football playoff on its own, I bet that they would be a part of that because the last conference they were in was the American And you know, I mean, I guess they'd be. They'd be lucky to get in. Like if you're independent in football and you're not Notre Dame, what.
Speaker 3: Are you doing? Like, like, what are you doing? The other? Air Force is obviously a part of the Mount West. But the other two no, that's right, Arey and Navy part of c USA.
Speaker 2: Now are Navy is in the American Okay? Army I don't know.
Speaker 3: So for a while that they were all independent as well.
Speaker 2: Now you're gonna be curious. Yeah, Army is in the AAC as well, So both Army and.
Speaker 3: Navy are there. Okay.
Speaker 2: It's like I want to say Memphis, but that like Memphis, and I guess honestly it would be Memphis, that would be my guess because and it's not because of some great historic college football history they have. It's just that they you know, they've been in conferences with Louisville here and there throughout and of all thes that have gotten a chance to get to get plucked and move on the fact that they've never been there. It just has always kind of surprised me because look, they got they got fed X money. I mean, like if Memphis had put it this way, if Memphis was in the ACC, you know, I think their ceiling would be higher than many of the current teams in the league, including like Boston College and Wake Forest Duke, even when it comes to football specifically, just because again like they there's it's a huge city or a big city, I should say, and you know, they do have a fan base and they've got fed X money when it comes to nil. And if they were if they were in a better league, that put them in a more in a better position to just you know, be on national television. That kind of stuff would help them in recruiting certainly, Like I could see where they would be, you know, like I could see them in the middle of the pack a SEC teams. I would say them as far as the one school that you know, if they did get an invite, they would kind of fit and nobody would say how the hell they get up to this level. So anyways, there reason I'll bring it up is because Ross Dellinger of Yahoo Sports is reporting that there's going to be a meeting next week, I believe in Dallas with the G five commissioners to discuss putting together some you know, if they want to put together their own playoff. And you know, I would imagine this is more not to say, hey, we're doing this because we're being shut out. It's probably just reading the room and like knowing, hey, we need to do more and more things to put more potential revenue in our pockets. And this will clearly not be the we'd be nothing close to the college football playoff that we know is going to be the twelve team playoff now, but like it would still be a TV event that we would watch, and you would have advertisers, and it would be you know, bit official for them to do it. But I also think you gotta be careful because you're kind of telling on yourselves. Yeah, we don't belong with you guys, we know it, which is true. So maybe more than anything, I should just tip the cap and say bravo for being self aware all right, we're out of time. Back at it tomorrow for a Friday. Hopefully you guys will join us right here on Sports Talk seven ninety