Speaker 1: Ladies and gentlemen, boys and girls, basketball fans, San Antonio Spurs fans, Welcome to another edition of the San Antonio Spurs Weekly Podcast with your boy, a fan of the Black and.
Speaker 2: Silver of over forty years, so much.
Speaker 3: It's tanned on his arm.
Speaker 2: Hey, got that right, A pretty good YMCA basketball coach, ay thanks. Also a former stand up comedian, but mostly your host, my host, our host here, he is k diszle it if you're.
Speaker 3: Milking that intro out a little much there. I missed a movie phone, I know, but I liked it.
Speaker 4: Welcome everybody to another edition of the San Antonio Spurs Weekly Podcast right here.
Speaker 3: On your favorite podcasting.
Speaker 4: Platform, whether it's Spotify, Spreaker, Apple, iTunes, and more.
Speaker 3: Thank you for following us.
Speaker 4: Please hit that subscribe button as well. Follow us on other social media devices as well, such as TikTok underneath of a podcaster KD, and you can follow us on YouTube at SA Spurs Weekly WKD and that is the same handle we use on Instagram as well. Welcome everybody to another tantalizing edition of the San Antonio Spurs Weekly Podcast. And we're gonna take a break talking about all the trades and possible trades and predictions and the NBA drafts, so on and so forth. We're gonna let that cool down a little bit, and I want to talk about something that's hot and heavy on this show right now. It's all over social media. You may have seen it on TikTok, YouTube and more, where you got a lot of these youngsters out there talking about that the San Antonio Spurs and they're winning ways in the two thousands were not a dynasty. We're gonna talk about.
Speaker 3: A few things.
Speaker 4: We're not gonna go too deep into the stats that the Spurs gave, but we're gonna bring up reasons why we believe that they were a dynasty in a fifteen year run.
Speaker 3: First and foremost, the.
Speaker 4: San Antonio Spurs were a winning team and they're gonna get back to those winning ways. They are fourth all time on the NBA most games won in the playoffs list, fourth behind the Lakers, Celtics, and the Philadelphia seventy six ers. Do you know how hard it is to win playoff games? Do you know how hard it is to win one NBA title? Go ask Charles Barkley about that. You're welcome, big ladies, of Santa Antonio. I got your back. Yeah, we'll pick on Charles a little bit too. Charles Barkley, great player, one of the top one hundred players released many years ago of all time in the NBA. You youngsters only know him as a analysis on TV and radio, but he was a great basketball player. He just never could get over the top. He even chased that ring. He went from Philadelphia to Phoenix. He also went to Houston. He sniffed it in Houston, he sniffed it in Phoenix.
Speaker 3: But there was a.
Speaker 4: Team that kind of got in their way, the San Antonio Spurs. The San Antonio Spurs and his run were probably his achilles heel, and maybe that's why he has so much animosity toward us and here in San Antonio. Now that I think about that, Charles, it's okay, brother. Every great player has kryptonite. Every great player has kryptonite, most definitely. But we want to talk about how good the Spurs went were. Greg Popovich in his career won over fourteen hundred games. You know how hard it is to win that many games in the NBA. The Spurs missed a five peat by two years. Let that sink in winning in ninety nine, three, five, seven, and in twenty fourteen. That twenty fourteen was a completely different team, the emergence of Kawhi Leonard as a leader and a major player.
Speaker 3: In the NBA.
Speaker 4: At the time, Tim Duncan at the end of his career, along with Tony Parker and Jenobli kind of starting to fall off just a little bit, wanting to win one more for the Gipper.
Speaker 3: The ninety nine.
Speaker 4: Team was redemption for David Robinson, a man that had been in the year in the league for many years. They ended up drafting a young Tim Duncan, and Tim Duncan missed, just missed getting his six ring. Oh, we didn't talk about the time the Spurs lost in the finals, right, Well, we definitely don't want to talk about that here in San Antonio, ever, do we.
Speaker 2: Huh.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: All I gotta say is Ray Allen from the corner. I know Spurs fans, we hate that. We hate that so much. Kind of reminiscent of we should do a show. We should do a show San Antonio Spurs do moments. According to Homer Simpson, I think we should do kind of like when the Rod Strickland threw the behind the back pass and went out of bounds and cost us a chance to go to the NBA Finals. Then that year, I think it was we were playing poor in the playoffs at that time. The infamous dope they didn't call the Sean Elliott foot on the line three pointer. We should do a show. I think we should do that, right San Antonio Spurs most dope moments here on the show, maybe coming up later on this summer, but talking about the San Antonio Spurs not being a dynasty is something that these young kids have no clue. One of the reasons is they're not flashy. They're not that team like the Lakers or OKC where we got to wear all the coolest equipment and be stars and studs and be the limelight of the NBA. The Spurs didn't have that. But I want you kids to know something, and I tell my kids this in my seven to eight year old division and my nine ten year old division that I coach, it's a team sport team. Of course, you're always going to have more talented players. But when you can buy into the concept of team, like the Spurs, did you do this? You do that? This is what you do best at. This is what you should be doing. They buy into the concept of team. That's when the dubs start coming.
Speaker 3: So to speak.
Speaker 4: What the kids say today, the dubs or the w's or the wins. Hate all these stupid abbreviations. I'm getting old, that's all. I'm getting old Spurs fans. But in all seriousness, this San Antonio Spurs ball club to win that many games in fifteen years and an opportunity to to have gone to six titles from ninety nine to twenty fourteen, let's put it into perspective for you guys. There's a gentleman on YouTube and all over social media, one of these Oh I know everything about basketball because I read it on YouTube and I read it on Google. But I don't really look into this, that and the other thing. His name is Max.
Speaker 3: Max as young kid.
Speaker 4: I'm not even going to give him the light of day when it comes to promoting his stuff. But there's also an older gentleman.
Speaker 3: I gotta get his name.
Speaker 4: I bet you basketball heads out there that watch a lot of basketball videos online like I do. He's an older African American gentleman. He's gray and salt and pepper hair. He looks like he played ball for many, many years.
Speaker 3: Very smart.
Speaker 4: He defended the Spurs and he defends Tim Duncan as well in these one on one debates against this generation's let's call it analysis of NBA and basketball younger generation. Well, they were going at it on this show and Max is like, oh, I'm sorry, winning a title one in every four years makes you a dynasty. Again, do you know how hard it is to win one title? Asked Charles Barkley. Do you know how hard it is to make a finals appearance, asked Chris Paul. Now, there are exceptions, because there are goats. Tim Duncan six titles in his run. Go, we talked about that on our show a couple weeks ago. Go listen to it here on the podcast.
Speaker 3: We'll leave it up through the summer.
Speaker 4: Lebron James went to ten NBA titles? How many did he win?
Speaker 3: Youngsters four?
Speaker 4: Now I'm giving Lebron credit here when I knock him all the time. It's hard to get to the NBA finals for anything, but to do it like Lebron dead, that's a round of a bloss making it almost half your career. But now break it down even more. He's going into year twenty three, right, he won the title four out of twenty three years. Spurs were in the NBA finals six out of fifteen, just missing a five peet by two years, a five pat by two years. Let's repeat that, just missing a five p by two years, four and six man and of course that six year went to Dirk Nowitzky in Dallas. But I want that to sink in. How is this not a dynasty? They were at the top of the league every year for fifteen years. That's a dynasty. X amount of wins in the regular season fourth on the all time playoff wins list, fourth all time on the NBA playoff wins list. Where's your team?
Speaker 3: I'm a Leaguers fan.
Speaker 4: You weren't born for half of those wins. Let's be perfectly honest. Okay, you were a thought, and that is as cleanly as I could put it on this show. You were a thought, not even a thought in your daddy's head while he was making out with your mom in the back of that car.
Speaker 3: Okay, yes, I said it. I said it. Spurs fans, well.
Speaker 4: Magic Johnson was throwing behind the back passes to Kareem and Worthy and Byron Scott Rambus grabbing those rebounds. Oh, I said Rambus, You're like, who is that guy? That's how much you probably know about the NBA. All right, But for somebody who's lived through watching this team from ninety nine to now, I've watched him before that. By the way, I have a pennant on my wall from nineteen eighty seven shows you how old I am and what I know about these Spurs. And boy, those eighty teams were horrible.
Speaker 3: Worthday Spurs fans.
Speaker 4: Oh a, f you're as old as I am. Man, oh man. They were not fun. They were not fun. The brightest spot was the almost Rookie of the Year win by Alvin Robertson.
Speaker 3: That was as good as we were. That was about it.
Speaker 4: But back to this dynasty. This is a dynasty because I accumulate the wins that this team had over a fifteen year career. Greg Popovich took over this team and took fourteen hundred wins with this team. Not many people can say that. So who are the dynasty's Katie? Would you consider the nineties Bulls a dynasty?
Speaker 3: Absolutely?
Speaker 4: They never lost, they never lost a final, So absolutely. Jordan's six and zero in that nineties run. What about the eighties showtime Lakers? Absolutely dynasty? What about the older Celtics? Bill russ Celtics absolutely Would you consider the eighties Celtics a dynasty? No, sorry, Celtics fans. You had such a great rival with the Lakers that I believe the Lakers outshined you from time to time.
Speaker 3: I'd put you guys. Probably.
Speaker 4: Let's let's put it in order. Okay, this is my dynasties. Bill Russell, Celtics far above everybody else.
Speaker 3: Absolutely.
Speaker 4: I know apples to oranges, different eras, I get it. But to win as many titles as they did and the amount of years they did, I don't have the stats in front of me, but I believe it was what like ten in thirteen years or ten and eleven years. That will never be duplicated. Why because it's this younger generation that's like, give me my ring and let me just go off and make my money. It's about me, yol yo lo.
Speaker 3: There's no loyalty anymore.
Speaker 4: None. There's also no loyalty from let's call it, from a business standpoint of teams either. That's why the Spurs are a different breed. They stay loyal to their players that are going to be loyal to them. Sometimes they hold on a little too long.
Speaker 3: So who else was next?
Speaker 4: Maybe two A and two B. Let's put the Lakers in Celtics era showtime Lakers Birds Celtics two A two B very close, and then I would put Jordan's Bulls at number three.
Speaker 3: Well, what about the Golden State Warriors?
Speaker 4: What about the Minneapis Lakers? If you want to go back there.
Speaker 3: I don't think so.
Speaker 4: I just don't think so, because if we're going to compare hair titles, then yes, the Lakers are up in there, that Minneapolis Lakers team, George, Mike and all of them. But even put them at four, I believe the Spurs are five. I believe you're above your Golden State Warriors. I know your Warriors fans don't want to believe it. I think if the Warriors were to win another title or two in the next two or three years, oh, they shoot in the top five because of the wins alone. You know, seventy wins they got the Bulls wins winning that many games does mean a lot. In the regular season, the Spurs won a lot of games, but Golden State not even close to the Spurs. Is winning as many playoff games in the history of this team. Is what the Spurs did. Six NBA Finals, So you got a first round, second round, and then you got the Western Conference Finals. Right then you've got the NBA Finals. On average, say it wins seven games. You have to win every one of those series three or four games. Right back in my day, the first round was like best three out of five. That's why the Spurs are sitting at two hundred and twenty two victories in the postseason. But during that fifteen year run, those six titles, you make the NBA Finals, there's twenty wins right there. You have to win at least four games in the NBA Finals. Why am I mentioning this because it's very hard to do. They lost in I don't have it in front of me, Guys. I believe they lost in seven to Miami. I know that Ray Allen situation killed us. I almost gave up, because I'll be honest with you, Yes, the Spurs fan gave up. Don't throw things at me when you see me. My wife had bought Aimanu Genobli jersey that year. She put it on for the first time ever, started rooting for the Spurs and they lost. I told her, don't ever wear that jersey again, and she literally didn't.
Speaker 3: That's a you know that, that's a good wife.
Speaker 4: I even told her a couple of years ago when we weren't that good with de Jonte, Murray and all them, and I'm like, hey, go ahead and put it back on, and she's like, nope, I'm not gonna wear it. I'm not gonna wear it again. Uh So it's so funny. I go listen, you jinxed the team. Kind of like the movie with Adam Sandler, the wedding singer take off my Van Hallen T shirt before the band breaks up. It's exactly what happened with the Spurs. So if you want to blame anybody, don't blame Ray Allen. It was me and my wife we ruined it that year. But that's a lot of wins to be a dynasty in those six years oh three, oh five, oh seven alone. I don't think you have to win it back to back.
Speaker 3: And all these.
Speaker 4: People that are saying, oh, it's not a dynasty like a Gilbert Arenas or a Matt Barnes. So now on these podcasts that are saying that I'd laugh, and we'll leave it with this. They're guys that didn't even touch a ring. Of course, they don't know what it's like to win a ring.
Speaker 3: Neither do I.
Speaker 4: Other than YMCA beautiful plaque that I got from my.
Speaker 3: Coyotes team last year.
Speaker 4: Thank you guys, another shout out to them. But it's very hard to win in the NBA. It's hard to win that many titles. That's why it's amazing what the Bulls did three peats, what the Lakers did three peats. Would you put the Pistons up there.
Speaker 3: With Isaiah Thomas.
Speaker 4: They did some amazing things as well. The San Antonio Spurs taking their six titles that they went to was amazing. If you want to based dynasties and say, well they.
Speaker 3: Didn't, they didn't. They won six and fifteen years. Do the math.
Speaker 4: Six and twelve is fifty percent of the time, and most NBA coaches win fifty six to fifty nine I believe percent of their games. For a team to be in that forty percent range going to the NBA Finals, pretty damn impressive to be a dynasty to me. But this is the great thing about the NBA, the great thing about sports. We get to discuss it, we get to share it with our friends at work, and we get to really get into it, don't we.
Speaker 3: No matter what you think.
Speaker 4: About the San Antonio Spurs being a dynasty, I know a Spurs fans will always believe it's a dynasty and there's another one on the rise.
Speaker 3: I truly believe that.
Speaker 4: So continue to allow that black and silver blood to run through your veins because they're coming. They're coming, and guess what the n.
Speaker 3: B A is on notice.
Speaker 4: Guys, thanks for listening to another edition of the San Antonio.
Speaker 3: Spurs Weekly Podcast.
Speaker 4: Let that black and silver blood run through your veins.
Speaker 1: And remember, go Spurs, go like
Speaker 4: The KA million My God, make a million children.