Speaker 1: It's time for coffee and company, fueled by Thornton's on Sports Talk seven nine day. Now here's Nick Coffee.
Speaker 2: You know, two hours in, I just realized that I haven't talked a whole lot about Louisville football today, and it might have been by design. I mean, I wasn't planning on not talking about Louisville football because you know, it's football season. I still think that Louisville fotball's got a chance to have a good season. I feel even better about this team from a personnel standpoint than I did before the Notre Dame game, But it still stings knowing that it really has no true impact on what Louisville can accomplish. I mean, it is a loss, and any loss you have is going to change the perception. And if you're somebody looking for an at large essentially for this college football playoff, you know those losses matter, and it's not a bad loss. But I'm somebody that's never really believed Louisville or any team in the ACC would have much of a chance at getting in the playoff unless they won their unless they were the league winner. Like I think, I think it's probably going to be a one bid league. It could be wrong. We shall see, but it is coffee and company that's us. We are feel about. Thornton's here on Sports Talk seven ninety Nick, Coffee with you. The company man, mister John all on alongside today just like he is every day except yesterday. Except yesterday. I mean, I guess I walked you into that when I apologize. He's still a company man. Wasn't like he didn't show up. He took a scheduled day off because he needed it to rest and recover from you know, a hell of a weekend. It louder than life. So on Louisville football. You know, I there's nothing we can do about it now, right, I mean continuing to just complain and bitch, I guess for lack of a better word, about all the mistakes they made. I mean, it won't change anything. Uh, but it's one that's going to stand out for a long time. And I think what I've learned throughout just myself, not saying others agree with me, but I've never acted like Notre Dame is not a legitimate brand that does have value that most do not in college football. Like I found myself a lot of the you know, the naysayers about Notre Dame, and it's not to say that they're a great team, because I don't think they're great, which again is another factor in why I was so bummed that Louisville made so many mistakes that kept them from leading.
Speaker 3: There with a victory.
Speaker 2: I don't think they're elite this year, but usually people just hate Notre Dame unless you're Notre Dame fan, and I get it. But like I've oftentimes found myself kind of defending them, like they do have a national audience and they're independent because they can be and nobody else really could not the way that they can. Not to say they're the greatest program, they're not, but like they are rare for obvious reasons. So I've always felt that way. But I think knowing that Louisville was the better team, and again I know that I feel gross saying that, because you're not the better team if you don't win. But overall, if you look at the numbers and you really look at the bone headed mistakes Louisville made that Notre Dame had nothing to do with it, Like that's why that's why I say that, But I think it being Notre Dame has added like if this was just another opponent that was ranked sixteenth, but wasn't Notre Dame. Like, I don't know, trying to think of a like, let's just say Virginia Tech was really good this year, and they were, and they were, you know, they were number sixteen in the country, and you lost to them at their place the same way, I kind of felt like it would still suck, but not as bad. And I guess what I what I've learned is that, yeah, Notre Dame, like beating them even in a down year is something that a program like Louisville should should always feel pretty good about because of who Notre Dame is. But we'll move on, all right. We won'll get back to footballcause there's some good football questions comeing in on the text line, some good comments as well that we'll get to. It's the LNN Federal Credit Union text line. By the way, if you want a text in and if you want to give us a call, you can five O two five seven one seventy nine hundred with the five o'clock hour getting started. We do have open lines if you want to join us via phone. All right, So let's talk hoops really quickly though, because we are just a few days away from Louisville Live. And by the way, you can't get tickets. This is fifteen dollars general admission, and you can get ten dollars if you are a season ticket holder for Louisville men's or women's basketball. So I hope to see a really good crowd there. Students get in free if you are a member of the Villains, which is the student section. So they're already promoting participants. They haven't said who, but I guess we'll find out here. They're going to probably unveil it on social media who's going to be participating in the three point shootout in the slam dunk contest. And I've already had somebody on the text line ask me who I would take in both of those events. I'm gonna wait and see who's who's actually participating, and then I'll give you an answer, because I mean, as far as a dunk, I have no clue. Like I think there's certain guys that I could see being pretty impressive when it comes to not just dunking, but you know, in a dunk contest setting. But as far as three point shootout. It could be a lot of guys. I mean, that's clearly one of the things Pat Kelsey has always emphasized with his previous teams at Charleston and Winthrop. But this this roster, a lot of these guys he brought in. I mean, not only are they good three point shooters, that's that's a lot of these guys' main strengths as players. And we'll get back to louis a love later because again, there's gonna be one visitor there that like, not just any visitor, but I promise we'll get to that coming up around five point thirty. John Rosstein, who covers college basketball, he's kind of like a college basketball robot. I mean, I think that's the brand he seeks. If you follow him on social media, you get it. If you don't, you're probably better off. But he is somebody that does have a lot of resources, a lot of contacts. He has access, so he's making trips to different programs across the country to check in on practice, interview their coaches, that kind of stuff. And he made a trip to not only Louisville, but he just left Kentucky as well. So John Rostein has given us what he observed at both Mark Pope's practice and at Pat Kelsey's practice. We'll start with what he said about Louisville, which is where he started. That was and we did talk about this earlier in the show, but I know we have a new audience usually in the five o'clock hour. But here here were his takeaways from his trip to Louisville. The first thing he mentioned was that let's see here, got to scroll down. Here he shows a picture of the of This was just a picture that he showed of the practice court which loved the dunky Cardinal bird.
Speaker 3: Love it.
Speaker 2: Will not tolerate any slander of it. I mean, it's beautiful. The center court at the Young Center looks phenomenal. The practice court though that the dunking bird's just too big. It's beautiful, but like it it should be. The size should be reduced. Have you ever seen this, John, I.
Speaker 3: Know what it looks like. I didn't know. I don't know what the practice facility one looks like.
Speaker 2: That's what I mean, though, like it looks a lot different. I'm gonna send it to you because like it's it's awesome the logo, but like I don't know why it had to be so large, Like it's I mean, if I was playing on that massive, if I was playing on that court, which I have by the way, as I was a championship I was part of the championship team with the Chrismack Fantasy Camp. But we played, we played the other way, like we didn't go like it was it was different, like we didn't. So anyways, like if I was playing on that court, I feel like I would never know if I'm out of bounds, if I'm in another gym, Like it's really really I mean, it's beautiful, but like it just should be smaller. But anyways, he posted a picture that said, greetings from the five oh two here for Louisville practice. You're one of the pat Kelcierra. Then he went on to say traditional big men are going to have issues matching up with Caseon Pryor at center. Did Wonders as a pick and pop guy last season at South Florida. Louisville looks comfortable with five out. Then he goes on to mention the back court, says Louisvi's backcourt chuck yet burning Corn Johnson deceptively good, cool calm experience shifty can both shoot it really good duo Long Beach State transfer Abouba car Trail doesn't believe in fifty to fifty balls, plays every single possession like it's his last underrated pickup for Louisville.
Speaker 3: Did you get the.
Speaker 2: Joke he doesn't believe in fifty fifty balls because he's just gonna get every one of them out love, which is it fits for trey O Ray? So I agree ross team and then he says a brand new team with an entirely new roster is hard to figure out. Luckily for Louisville, we'll know how ready they are. Six days into the twenty twenty four to twenty five season. Tennessee visits the five H two on Saturday, November the ninth, and then he made a prediction for who he thinks will be the starting five for Louisville this year. Chucky Hepburn, core and Johnson, Terrence Edwards, Javon Hadley, and Casein Pryor.
Speaker 1: So.
Speaker 2: I know this roster, you know well, because you know it's what I do. It's part of the gig, and I'm you know, I'm a diehard fan. And each time one of these guys was being recruited and each time they committed, like it was something we spent time talking about on the show. But you could be I think a fan that is a beyond casual that you know, like Louisville basketball a big deal to you, and I just ran through rapid fire those five names, and you're probably like, Okay, which one is that? Which one is that? Like this is weird, like this is unusual to have, you know, an entirely new roster. So well, I hope I will probably never have a year like this again where you have won an entirely new roster and there are fans that quite literally are trying their damnedest, but you know, they got lives, they got work, they got other things to where it's gonna take them some time when watching this team play to figure out who the hell everybody is. But I'm here to tell you doesn't make you a bad fan, doesn't mean that you just haven't.
Speaker 3: Been keeping up.
Speaker 2: It's just this is usually you have to learn a few new names. Now you've got to learn an entire new team.
Speaker 1: Now.
Speaker 2: I would hope that the trip to the Bahamas did help some folks get acclimated somewhat with the new pieces here, but here, here's the thirty five second clip. It's the Rawstein Reaction. It's a video series he does after each of his stops at different college basketball programs. Here's what he had to say about his trips to see Pat Kelsey's team.
Speaker 4: John Rothstein with this Rothstein reaction after watching Louisville practice. The energy and the intensity in Pat Kelsey's practice on Tuesday was second to none. The Cards also have a deceptively good backcourt with Wisconsin transfer Chucky Hepburn and also Washington transfer Corn Johnson. Louisville has a brand new team, but Louisville will be one of the most improved teams in college basketball during the twenty four to twenty five season. If the Cards can stay healthy, they look like a potential bubble team to monitor in the middle of the ACC during the upcoming year.
Speaker 2: So I'm I'm doing the thing here, like as a fan who tries to be objective and fair and not you know, not take any like if somebody doesn't think Louisville's as good as I do. I've always, i feel like, been pretty good at not taking that as like they're haters. It's just you know, they see it differently, and there's nothing crazy that he said. But I'm finding myself like, what do you.
Speaker 3: Mean deceptively good?
Speaker 2: What do you mean You look at these guys Chucky, Hepburn and Korn Johnson and you think that they look like they suck, but they don't. So like they're deceptively good. What do you say it?
Speaker 1: Here?
Speaker 2: Rostein one of the most improved teams in college basketball. It wouldn't take much, dude. They won four games two years ago and won eight games last year. Like he's not saying anything crazy, but just about everybody around here. And I would say a lot of people who do what Rostein does view Louisville a little bit differently than he does. They could be a bubble team in the middle of the ACC. But I'm kind of worried because, like, I think that's crazy. I have no clue. I'm well aware that we'll have to wait and see. As I've mentioned many times with both teams Louisville and Kentucky, this is the ultimate unknown. However, like the ACC is not even that good of a league anymore, So you know, it doesn't make me worried, but it's just a reminder that like, yeah, I think we are justified in thinking this is a tournament caliber team with the roster that Pat Kelsey put together, with the ACC not being a league that you're really that scared of outside of maybe a couple of teams, and Pat Kelsey's track record of being a winner. I mean, go look at Pat Kelsey's record as a coach. Everywhere he's been he wins. Expecting him to win enough to get in the tournament at a place like Louisville with these types of players, I feel like it's it's it should be expected, and I think he would agree. So he didn't say anything like negative, but he wouldn't like there's not going to be any of these videos that he's done, and he's done many of them where he's gonna like, yeah, they might win four games, like you know, so it's you know, but I mean you didn't think he said anything crazy there, right, John? Talk me off the ledge of like I'm about to come after Rostin and tell him don't.
Speaker 3: Come back to Louisville again, Buddy. I just think it's weird that in the the stuff that you read earlier, he seemed like he was very complimentary, but whenever he did.
Speaker 2: The video is underwhelming, right, Yeah, when he does.
Speaker 3: This stand up, it sounds like he's trying to talk Louisville down a little bit more compared to what he wrote.
Speaker 2: And as much as he is a big name in the college hoops world as far as reporting and coverage, and I like to make fun of him because you know, like he's easy. I mean he I mean, he can't be surprised if people think he's a psycho with Like, anytime there's a big event going on across the globe, he makes a point to go tweet the most random, obscure college basketball piece of news. You know, Donald Trump and Joe Biden are having a debate and they're talking a golf match and bringing up porn stars and morals of an alley cat all while John Rostein, you know, he knows the timelines filled with everybody just living in the moment with that insane debate. But he's going to let you know Cleveland State has put ink to paper. They've got a home and home with Montana State. Like he's he's a nut, But he didn't say any Like his tweets and what he put in video, it's a I like you could just like, here, let me paste a link of what somebody wrote up about Louisville's roster after the portal closed, those tweets would be generated, and he might be AI anyways with the robot stuff that he does.
Speaker 3: Also, you may have kind of touched on this earlier. But what does deceptively good even mean?
Speaker 2: It means you're good, but I would have thought you weren't, right, I mean, you know, okay, that makes sense.
Speaker 3: I mean, like, I mean, it's just a weird phrase.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean like because I don't.
Speaker 3: Feel like a lot of people are. So he didn't seem like he thought louis would be bad.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but he didn't really say a whole lot, to be honest with you, Like it was very vanilla. But like when I when I've heard the let me give you the best example for deceptively good white dudes who can dunk. He's deceptively athletic like that they're saying, we wouldn't have expected him to be able to cram on dudes in the NBA because he's white. Like, That's that's what people mean when they say deceptive. So I mean, to me, it's like he looks at Hepburn and Corey Johnson, which, by the way, they're not big guys. They're not crazy athletic, although Chucky Hepburn, I mean he's Chucky. I think Chuck Hepburn is a really good player and he showed that I think at Washington or Wisconsin. So yeah, he could have just said they're a good backcourt. But the deceptive is almost like a backhanded compliment, right like, Hey, you guys may think I'm crazy when I say you these guys are good, but you know, watch and you'll realize they're kind of good. Like that's you know. So then he made the trip to Lexington and here's what he had to say, the same thing again. This is Ai took a picture of Kentucky's practice court. Greetings from Lexington here for Kentucky practice. You're one of the Mark Pope era, he says. The surprise here at Kentucky practice has been freshman guard Colin Chandler, former BYU commit, hasn't played in a bit due to Mormon mission, but is really talented going to be in the Wildcat's rotation. Mark Pope tells me that Wake Forest transfer Andrew Carr has been Kentucky's most efficient player going to be a major focal point at power forward. The Cat's staff feels he can have a similar impact to Grant Nelson last season in Alabama. The makeup of Kentucky's perimeter is going to be fascinating to watch. Cats have five players Lamont Butler, kerk Chris la Otega Away, Kobe Brea, Jackson Robinson for three spots, lots of different pieces to mix and match. Early prediction for Kentucky starting five Lamont Butler, Kobe Brea, Jackson Robinson, Andrew Carr, and Amari Williams. And here is what in he gave sixteen more seconds to Kentucky than he did Louisville. You're not welcome back in Louisville, Rosstein? Who else did we do?
Speaker 1: We?
Speaker 3: You and Cats?
Speaker 2: That's right, Andy, you talked to me before you come back, John Rothstein.
Speaker 4: What does Rostein reaction after watch Yeah Kentucky practice in Lexington. The Wildcats have known commodities with Jackson, Robinson, Andrew Carr, and Drexel transfer Amari Williams. But the mystery surrounding Kentucky entering twenty four to twenty five is the type of a lot I meant that Mark Pope uses in the Wildcats backcourt to start the season. There's a bevy of options at Pope's disposal. Laman Butler, Korcrisa, Kobe Brya, otega Oway all looked like potential starters for Pope, who has a brand new team from last season. Kentucky looks like an NCAA tournament team in twenty twenty five, but the makeup of the perimeter will be fascinating to watch from now until opening night on November fourth.
Speaker 2: Here's what I've learned. He got to watch practice for both teams, you know, inside access, and he didn't really tell us anything. Like what he said was what everybody was saying about these rosters before they ever even practiced at any point. And I'm not just saying that because you know, he wasn't raving about Louisville and he really wasn't raving about Kentucky either.
Speaker 3: But I don't know, like would he say, like not even just him, what would anybody who has inside access really be able to say from just watching a practice.
Speaker 2: Probably not, I mean, not a whole lot. If you want to get I mean again, you're not going to do that. And then leave and then go on and go and blast that program on Twitter. I will say this though, Jeff Goodman, who you know, I think is the leader when it comes to college basketball coverage from top to bottom, and a lot of people don't like him, and that you know, that's what I mean. You know, he's he's now out there not as just a guy who reports news and breaks stories. He's you know, he's on camera, he's on Mike, So like part of it is getting a rise out of fans and the entertainment component to what it is that you know, you do in sports media. So regardless of what you think of him, he's he's really good at breaking stories and I think sharing honest thoughts that aren't persuaded by his relationships with certain coaches. There's one coach that he is really, really, really a big fan of, and that's Bill Self. He really seems to like tiptoe that a little bit more than anybody else. But like, I know how close he is with coach Mack obviously really close with Pat Kelsey and those guys, but he'll if he thinks that they're struggling, he thinks that they're bad, he'll say it. You know what I mean, like, not personally, but I think Goodman would have given us more from both sides and it would have been more transparent. This was just whatever. But again, it's not Rostine's fault. It's just he kind of dresses it up like I'm about to give you inside access from what I saw, and it really wasn't that. But to your point, John, I'm glad you asked the question, like I'm not really sure what could be taken from this. And look, not only do we love college basketball more than anybody else around here, there's so much anticipation and excitement because this is all brand new. None of us really know how good either team's going to be, although I think fans are just are justified in expecting their team to be tournament caliber teams this year. But you know, we're probably a little more on edge than we've ever been. As far as just any little piece of info, I'd love to get it, because man, we've never seen any of this before, right, I mean, we got to tease with the Bahamas, but that I think that just love just wanting more. All right, let's get to a quick break. We'll come back on the other side. Some good questions coming in on the text line. Also, I watched a Netflix series nine episodes in roughly twenty four hours. That's how good it was. I want to talk about it, and you know we'll finish strong. I'm gonna stop talking so we have more time to finish strong. Thank you John for playing that music at a perfect time. Good stuff. It's coffee and Company where fuel Beeth Thornton's right here on Sports Talk seven ninety. That's right, it's coffee and Company fueled by Thornton's here on Sports Talk seven to ninety. Make sure, if you have not yet, you sign up to become a member of the Thornton's Freshman Awards program. You'll save money at the gas pump. You can take advantage of a lot of different perks, including the Frequency Club, and they've also got great giveaways they do each and every year, in fact, more than just one a year, but for example, a couple summers ago they gave away free fuel for an entire year to two hundred people. Last holiday season, they gave away ten grand each week during the holiday seas in November and December, and then the grand prize winner at the end of the year was twenty five k So those are things that you can you can potentially win if you remember and you make purchases and you swipe that car to you enter your phone number. So again Thornton's Refreshment Awards. Download the app, go to Refreshman Awards dot com. You'll be happy that you did. All right, So let's hit the text line five two sixty five three zero seven ninety That is the L and N Federal Credit Union text line. This textas Nick, when it comes to ACC play, we need to win all of the games we are supposed to. We need to Yes, sorry, I don't know if you did talk to text, but there was a there was a period before there's a period that I don't think was supposed to be there. But when it comes to a ccplay, we need to win all the games we were supposed to win and split between Clemson and Miami. Do you know how the tiebreaker breaker will work if there are multiple teams with just one loss. That's a great question. I don't know how it would play out, and I remember last year there being a lot of different scenarios that could have been an issue, but it didn't need. You know, Louisville once they beat Miami last year, you know they were in there was no there was no tie breaker needed because they had one loss and Florida State had no losses and then there was no other team of just one loss.
Speaker 1: So.
Speaker 2: Because they never really had to utilize a tiebreaker, I don't remember, but I do know that at some point there was a scenario where Louisville having a weak ACC schedule could have come back to bite them if they were a one loss team and the one loss team along with them was not somebody they played. If you're a one loss team and you have the head to head, it's a different story. But if you don't play this team that also has one loss or I don't know, maybe two losses or something like that, there was some there was some type of scenario where they would have factored in the winning percentage of all the ACC teams you played. So we don't need to get into that now, and I don't you know, I don't know if it's going to come to that, but yeah, I mean, if Louisville ends up like Miami, though, you know, they may run the table in ACC play. But they nearly lost to Virginia Tech, who lost at home to Vandy or I guess it was at Vandy, but Vandy doesn't even have home games because you know, they're Vandy, So you know, Miami, they're deserving of all the praise they're getting. But it was nice to see them look beatable for the first time whenever they took on Virginia Tech this past Friday. And obviously that was a controversial finish. When it comes to the touchdown that they called a catch and then rule that it wasn't, it's wild to me. And by the way, I don't want to get off on a tangent when it comes to that, because that was you know, it was last week. But I can't remember a call where there was so much reaction and not many were I didn't hear a single one of like, yeah, I don't really know. That's tough. People either were downright convinced and wanted to fight about it being a catch that they got wrong or the call they got right. I happened to think that it was not a catch in real time, but I didn't think they had enough in review to say it that it wasn't. But anyways, yeah, to answer your question, I don't know of the toimebreaker scenario, but one thing you don't have to worry about. Before the season started, I would have felt like, damn, you don't have you don't have NC State or Florida State on your schedule this year. Man, Like those are teams that were picked ahead of you and now they suck. So like turns out, who knows, maybe Georgia Tech ends up being a team in the in the ACC that will look like a good win when it comes down to having not only potentially seven wins or you know, Louisville, Mabe they go in you know louis Again, Notre Dame is not a league. I know Notre Dame is not in the ACC, but I found myself needing to remind myself every now and then that that's not a conference game. They do have one loss on the year, but it has nothing to do with ACC play, So for what it's worth, the schedules, I just pulled them up here. So Miami they are currently looks like one to zero in ACC play because they're gonna play their second ACC game this Saturday night when they play CA like cow by the way, the game day's going to be there, and then they've got Louisville on the nineteenth, So they play Florida State, they play Duke, who's undefeated, but I'm not sure how good they are. They've got Georgia Tech in Atlanta, they play Wake Forest, who sucks, and then they play Syracuse. So you know, I think their schedule, you know, it looks Miamis schedule looks pretty pretty manageable for them, to be honest with you, because now we know Florida State's not a game they should feel they should feel that worried about. I mean, I'll be honest with you, I think looking at Miami schedule, I'd be shocked if they didn't run the table and Louisville at this point. I don't think we're homers in saying that Louisville is clearly the biggest challenge they're going to have the rest of the way. And I don't say that to prop Louisville up. I say that more so looking at how surprisingly favorable the schedule is for the Hurricanes, but upsets happened. I mean, there's in fact the ACC I feel like more often than not they'll be a one loss team or maybe two one loss teams in the Champion and Ship game. That has a loss that like doesn't make sense. It's one of the worst teams in the league. So looking at Clemson, they are now two and zero in league play, with wins against n C State and Stanford. They've got Florida State this weekend, which used to be a big deal when those two teams play, Not not as much. They've got Wake Forest at wake Forest, who really sucks. They've got Virginia at home, Louisville at home, Virginia Tech on the road, Pitt at Pitt, then they play the Citadel. Yeah, so their last two games of the season actually are not acc games. So you know, I think it's safe to say at least what we know right now, and maybe we're way off here. Maybe we revisit this in a few weeks and we're in this. This sounds really stupid to have said at this time. I think Louisville is the biggest threat to both of these teams, Miami and and Clemson, and Louisll's got to play both of them. They don't play each other, so you know, that doesn't look that that doesn't bode well for Louisville. But if you can split, like if you beat all the teams are supposed to beat in league play and you split Clemson in Miami, Yeah, you could potentially find yourself in the ACC championship game. I mean, yeah, we're still gonna wait and have to wait and see what other teams do. I mean, there's some teams that have only played one league game at this point. But no, you're right, like I mean, if you lose to a SMU, I mean that makes winning against Miami and Clemson even much more important. And those are not going to be easy things to do. Those are gonna be games that you will absolutely be underdogs in. I mean, you can't win, but yeah, I mean you can't slip up against the teams that you feel like you should beat whenever. You know, hey, you could play well and still slip up and lose to those two teams. And look, Clemson, I'm not here to say that, Like I think Louisville has no shot. But they're loss to Georgia, which wasn't a great one thirty four to three. They've responded really well since then. Now I also realized they haven't played anybody. But how how wild would it be if Florida State beats Clemson?
Speaker 3: Would that just be more of a confirmation of just how bad I hate to say bad, but just not good the ACC is.
Speaker 2: Oh, of course it would be. Yeah, I mean it would be a terrible look for the ACC. It would be god awful. I mean, in Louisville losing SMU, I think would would also be a bad look for.
Speaker 3: The league at that point. Who's the best team?
Speaker 2: I mean, look, and at the end of the day, like, I know we do. We say we don't, but you know we do. In fact, I don't think I say that.
Speaker 3: I don't.
Speaker 2: It's out of my control, so I try not to worry about it. But like, the perception of your league is a big factor in college football more so than it is basketball, and the ACC's perception is not great now. But like, if a three loss ACC team is the one that represents the league and the College Football Playoff, that would be the worst look. The AEC is not going to get the benefit of doubt at all, and they shouldn't, to be honest with you, if that, if that ends up happening, but I doubt that'll happen. I think I think it'll be Miami and potentially Clemson and UH or Louisville and then outside that, I mean, I wouldn't even be able to tell you who has the best chance of winning the of winning the I mean, I'm sure they updated every week as far as the percentages with the ESPNFPI and I don't put much into that, but it is at least something to reference. SMU I feel like has has had like the third and fourth best chances of winning the league for a while and it's got to be because of how their schedule sets up. So they've already played Florida State, which you know before the season started that was probably looking like a sure loss. Now they've got yeah, they've got Louisville, Stanford, Duke Pitt, Boston College, Virginia Cow. I'm ready to say it without looking elsewhere, that has to be the lightest ACC schedule of anybody's. And look, that's just sometimes how it happens. Louisvill last year, let's be real that that was a very light ACC schedule compared to other teams. But Florida State again, now that we know they stink the other ACC teams, they play Stanford, Louisville, Duke Pitt, Boston College, Virginia and Cal. I mean, maybe SMU is going to be the team that's there because outside of Louisville, if they were able to get past Louisville, they would feel good about every other game on their schedule. Sorry for the getting distracted. I'm blown away by how manageable that is. And I'm saying manageable instead of same week because you know, last year we were kind of triggered by everybody's saying that we had a week schedule, even though we kind of knew that we did.
Speaker 3: You know who's getting tossed him with that now is Indiana.
Speaker 2: Yeah, their schedule is somewhat similar because you know, they could slip up and lose to both. I mean, they could go ten and two and only two losses be to Michigan and Ohio State, and they really wouldn't have probably many wins we're talking about, but who gives a damn right? No exactly, But if they're ten and two with those two losses and their best win would be who like right, Nan Again, we'll see, there'll probably be.
Speaker 3: Either Nebraska or Washington if they lose to Michigan in Ohio State, maybe Michigan State, depending on how good they end up being. But they already had that loss to Boston College.
Speaker 2: So yeah, I mean, I and it still sounds crazy, but at this point, like I would say, objective viewers of college football and the Big Ten specifically, they probably wouldn't just say, yeah, Indiana is going to be ten and two, But if they did take a look at the schedule and give it some thought, I'd say like nine to three would probably be what a lot of them would just assume that you end up probably losing to those teams because they are still really good. Although Minnesota probably should have beat Michigan, right, yeah, I mean I.
Speaker 3: Don't give Michigan a ton of credit for their top ranking.
Speaker 2: Areer, Yeah they don't. Yeah, I mean who who they end up beating?
Speaker 3: But yet it was USC?
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah and that yeah, I mean that's probably a bad look for USC more than it was anything else. But still, I mean, beating Michigan is not something that many teams will probably.
Speaker 3: Be again home, so we'll see what happens there.
Speaker 2: So you know, outside of those two games, like maybe somebody says you slip up to a team unexpectedly because that just happens to most teams in college football, but most teams in college football aren't coached by Signetti, he's getting some love Indiana football being mentioned last night on Monday Night Football by Joe Buck. I mean, that's not something I would have expected this year, but he you know, I thought when he came out and said the whole google me, I'm a winner, I thought at the time that was a gimmick, at least seventy five eighty percent gimmick. And even at the time, I was cool with it. Not that anybody cares what I think about Indiana, but like I thought, yeah, that's that'll get Indiana some attention. This guy's confidence, and you know, that's that's the first step, right everybody involved. I mean, it's good for the entire thing, administration, staff, players, fans. You gotta believe you can actually do something before it happens, right, You got to have some belief and some confidence about yourself. And Signetti certainly has that given his track record. He's been a winner everywhere he's been and it's rubbed off and they're not just you know, beating teams that they're you know that they're better than, but like they're winning pretty big and even in years where Indiana was like decent for Indiana, they probably would have lost one or two of these games, because that's just what Indiana kind of like. The ceiling's never been really high for them, at least for the most part.
Speaker 3: Can say it's about Signetty. Maybe you'll disagree with this, but I think the way that he kind of acts and portrays himself, he's Dion Sanders, but with substance behind what he says.
Speaker 2: Yeah he's not, but he's not as arrogant like he's. Dion is more of a show. Yeah, Signetti is more of straight to facts and not like he's not going to spend five minutes talking about himself. He'll just tell you. He'll just tell you what it is, you know what I mean. That's fair, so I can see. You know, he's clearly got a lot of confidence about himself, but it's not as much and it's not really in your face. It's just he's not going to go out of his way to say, everybody, look at me, I'm great. But when when talking about his program, the way he coaches in his career, he has no problem in speaking you know, facts and the facts back him up. And I mean it is wild and I think it's one of the best you know, maybe I'm a little biased here just because of you and the local connection, but I think it's one of the best. I think it's one of the best stories in college football right now. Does he have two ends in his name or just one?
Speaker 1: Just one?
Speaker 3: Okay?
Speaker 2: But yeah, the google me line, like I think because it's Indiana, like everybody kind of thought, you know, it's kind of cute because hey, he's trying to bring attention to Indiana. But like it's true, all.
Speaker 3: Three of the teams that he said sucked in that little speech. He gave an assembly hall. That's who he ends the season with. That's Mission, Ohio State and Purdue. Of course.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he's a winner, no doub about it. All right, quick, breck, we'll come back on the other side. Wrap this thing up. It's coffee and Company. We are fuel about Thornton's right here on Sports Talk seven ninety.
Speaker 1: Head.
Speaker 2: Owners, if you don't have anywhere to take your pets to get him checked out, or you don't have a place that you know you would lean on if an emergency happens with your pets, I'm here to tell you that Jefferson Animal Hospital is your place. I mean, not only for an emergency. I mean, you don't plan for an emergency. They just kind of happen and it can be scary, but rest assured they'll be there for you. At Jefferson Animal Hospital, they're open twenty four hours a day, three hundred and sixty five days a year, even on Christmas. They've got a doctor on standby in case of an emergency. But you can also reach out to them schedule appointments, just to get your pets to check up. It's Jefferson Vetts dot com, the website. Give him a call FABO two nine one hundred pets. All right, So when I mentioned Louisville Live, you know it's a recruiting tool, and we know recruiting is a little bit different now because we still say recruiting and think of high school kids. However, transfer portal is a part of that. It has been for the last couple of years. Maybe eventually when you say recruiting, we won't. But here's the thing. You can't recruit players that aren't in the portal yet. So I don't know. Maybe it will be two things we look at much differently. But Tyron Stokes, we've talked about him before, not a ton but his name's come up. He is believed to be the very best player in the world for his age, and he's from right here in Louisville. He's a six to seven, two hundred and forty five pound wing. He's in the twenty twenty sixth class. So he still has another year of high school left after this year, and he's got offers from just about everybody. He'll be able to pick wherever he wants to go to school. And he's going to be visiting for Louisville Live. And I don't want to exaggerate and like make this thing a bigger deal than it is, but like it is a big deal, not to say that an impression here would make it to where he's going to make a decision soon or anything like that. But you have a chance to really make an impression that should stick with him. Now, Louisville's going to have to beat out every team in the country to get this guy, because again he's the number one player in America. But again, he's got family here still to this day, it's home to him. He hasn't been here in a while. I mean, he left Louisville at a young young age to go be a to go be a star. He's been playing for different you know, academies and whatnot, and he's he's been to I think, I think you just transferred to a different high school or maybe transferred to the overtime League. I'm not sure, but he's bounced around and everywhere he's been he's been really impressive. And he'll be here and that just makes me not nervous. But I do hope that Lower Bowl is close to full. The atmosphere is great, and Louisville basketball can really you know, the program. Pat Kelcey and his program can really showcase not just Tyron Stokes, but any other recruit that's there visiting because Louisvill basketball, let's be real the perception of the program. And it's not perception, it's reality. Lowel basketball has been down like big time. We all know historically what it's been. We all know the capability that you have here at Louisville if you utilize all the great things that you have as far as fan base, resources, arena and all that stuff. But kids, I mean, Tyron Stokes is what's sixteen. Maybe he doesn't remember the last time Louisville was like nationally relevant he might remember when Louisville was the number one team in the country, but I doubt it. That was four years ago, five seasons ago actually, and that point. You know, he's a little kid, So these kind of things we used to feel like, yeah, it'd be cool, but we don't really need it. Hey, look, it's not something you have to have to be great, but like it's something we've known all our life, so we're not like we know what can happen here. But I think you need some early success. You need to really show out because the perception here recently is not good. And again it's because it's reality. Louisvill basketball has been way down, but it won't be down for long. I'm just hopeful that there's a great turnout in the atmosphere. Is great to make an impression on this young man who probably won't make a decision for a long time.
Speaker 4: But.
Speaker 3: Be special.
Speaker 2: All right, let's call it a day. Everybody, have a good night. We're back at it tomorrow and I hope you guys will join us at three o'clock right here on Sports Talk seven ninety