Speaker 1: Welcome to Dorky Out.
Speaker 2: My name is Sonya Mansfield and good luck with your video game. Joining me is my podcasting sister from Another mister and the co host of Dorky Now, Margo d Hello, my friend.
Speaker 1: Hello, my friend. I am checking out the Facebook right now, the Facebook. I'm virtue signaling from my apartment to the Facebook. We'll get into it.
Speaker 2: We'll get into it.
Speaker 1: We are dorking out about twenty ten's the social network. I wonder why why?
Speaker 2: I wonder why this shot up to the top of my list. It's directed by David Fincher, screenplay by Aaron Sorkin, based on The Accidental Billionaires by Ben Mezrich.
Speaker 1: Sure Yeah, why not.
Speaker 2: Stars Jesse Eisenberg Andrew Garfield, Justin, Timberlake, Armie Hammer, Armie Hammer, Maximan, Jella, Brenda Strong, Rashida Jones. And there's a little baby Dakota Jim Johnson in there. Adorable and everybody adorable. I almost recognize her in special shout out to Ruoney Mara playing a woman who breaks someone's heart so bad, think good for her.
Speaker 1: Faces on the worst date a woman can have.
Speaker 2: Right, We're going to get into it, but let's start with this. Did you see this in the theater?
Speaker 1: No, we did it for Book Versus Movie, my other show. So I've seen this movie number I. Actually we did that a few years ago. And I do enjoy this movie on a filmmaking level, but it lands very different from me now than it did five years ago. Yeah, I am.
Speaker 2: I had a little bit more empathy for Mark Zuckerberg the first time I saw this. I saw it in the theater and I was like, oh, he's just awkward.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I was like, what an awkward dumb dumb who like can't you know, get connections? Yeah, form connections and you know he I had a little bit more even in the movie. I was like, well, what a dick, you know. But I was also like I had a little bit of empathy. It's like, yeah, he wants to be at the cool kids table and he's never going to be there, like no matter R does. And now I watch it and I'm like, fucking grow up, man. Yeah, I just want to be like, grow up, bro, grow up.
Speaker 1: That first scene where he's with Rooney Merra at date, they had a date and he's doing this, Yeah, and I've been on these dates. I've been on dates like this where it feels like an interrogation by some very edge LORDI you know, mixtape loving. Yeah, Belle and Sebastian listening douchebag. It brought up stuff for me, like that's always my least favorite part of the movie.
Speaker 2: I'm just like super into rust for some reason.
Speaker 1: This is why you throw a drink in someone's face is for something like that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he's such a dick to her, and then he's so surprised when she's like, you know what, I don't want to do this, Like he can't fucking believe it that she doesn't want to keep putting up with this. By the way, some people that's their jam. They like arguing. It's like they're turned on. It's not mine. I'm just he's nagging too.
Speaker 1: He's like he's completely nagging her.
Speaker 2: He's constantly putting her down. She's like, fuck, this guy's such a creep, and she she says, what is basically it's the the thesis of the whole movie. She says, you are probably going to be very be a very successful computer person, but you're going to go through life thinking the girls don't like you because you're a nerd and I want you to know from the bottom of my heart, that won't be true. It'll be because you're an asshole.
Speaker 1: That's it. That's the whole plot.
Speaker 2: Of the movie.
Speaker 1: Like, it's not because you're not rich, it's not because I don't think you're smart enough. It's not because of any of those things, or I don't understand how much of an underdog you are to the rest of the world. It's because you're a shithead.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he's a huge asshole, and he is. He continues to be an asshole through the whole movie. He goes on this date, she's like peace out, like good luck to you, and she leaves. He goes back to his dorm room and he writes on his live journal blog some really shitty stuff about her, and then decides to create a website called face Face Smash I Guess or face Smash I Forget, And he hacks all these different websites, downloads all the photos of like every girl in a sorority on their campus and has people ranking them like a are you hot or not? Situation, So that website that your grandma uses to like all your photos was created so dudes could rank their fellow female students hotness.
Speaker 1: It's it makes them feel superior when you do that. By the way, Yes, and who are these dudes these show they're everywhere, They're fucking everywhere.
Speaker 2: To decide who's hot or not. And if there's one of the things about the movie that I would have liked a little bit more, I would have liked a female perspective.
Speaker 1: From Aaron Sorkin. Yeah, silly me Fitcher.
Speaker 2: Like there's these like little things where it's like like a student who's like, that's my roommate, or you know, Rooney Mara's character like pops up a few times and like pushes back on him, and we get Rashida Jones saying a few things to him. But they're really all the women in this are just non existent people. But also he's a huge dick and there probably weren't any women around, so I wanted to hang out with him. Yeah, why would they hang out hang out with him? I mean, the truth is, I don't understand why Andrew Garfield's character hangs out with him. He's such a.
Speaker 1: Dick, But what are you gonna do?
Speaker 2: Yeah, this was my introduction to Andrew Garfield back same day. And he's adorable.
Speaker 1: He's great.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he's really really good in this and Jesse Eisenberg is so good that yes, people just think he's Mark Zuckerberg like and he's not like that.
Speaker 1: No, he's I mean he he's as an actor, as a person, he deals with OCD yes. And he said that this part was really hard for him because he really works hard to overcome that kind of speech pattern and that kind of like way of presenting himself to people and responding to things like he and he had to do it like on a you know, on a leven you know, like that a bigger level. And that was But he's really good in this movie.
Speaker 2: He is, and everybody is, even even Armie Hammer.
Speaker 1: Both Army Hammers. I have to give him credit. He's good. He's a good.
Speaker 2: Book at both Army Hammers. Maybe only one of them is a creep? Could we keep the Army Hammer who isn't a creep? When I first saw it, I also didn't know who Army Hammer was, even though like I knew there was a Lone Ranger movie, but I legit was like, oh there's two of Like I'm like such a yeah. I was like, oh, he's a twin, Like it wasn't until I saw the credits. I was like, oh, I get it. But so he goes back to his website. He creates this janky No, it's not janky. It's a very popular, instantly popular website that spreads like wildfire all through Harvard or whatever and ranking these women. He like crashes their servers, and obviously woman at the school's like, you're a dick. Like there's a scene of him in a class where he gets a note passed.
Speaker 1: To him that calls him. It says, you dick.
Speaker 2: It's like you like not even the you know, it's just you dick. And he gets all like butt hurt and leaves and it's like, yeah, dude, you're a consequences, Yeah, consequences for your actions. This face smash website that he creates kind of gets the It gets the attention of the Vinkel Vas.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah. And that's again Armie Hammer twice the Creep and their business partner, and they want to hire him to like build their social network, which is like Harvard Connection. It's a dating site where you would use your Harvard email address because that gets you so much pussy, I guess, and basically the movie then at that point starts cutting between various lawsuits, and I don't know if that's my favorite part of this movie. I would have liked, yeah, a little bit more straight, because sometimes I got a little confused of which lawsuit I was watching. But that's oh suing who Yeah, Yeah, I'm like, but that's okay. Maybe that was kind of the point. Then we also cut back to like it's like Caribbean night at the Jewish frat. Came Drew Garfield wearing a straw hat, like who agrees to help him fund the what they are calling the Facebook? Like all one word, I don't do you think that Zuckerberg took his idea from them? Or do you think he was like inspired by their idea? Do you think they owe he owed them money?
Speaker 1: Basically, I am not gonna say anything that's gonna get me sued by Mark Zuckerberg because he's litigious and he's and he's feeling himself right now at twenty twenty five, like he's talking about masculine energy growth tech companies and shit like that uses words like virtue signaling, which was out of date like five years ago. So no, I am not gonna I'm sure sonya, Yeah, he had a wild dream one morning. It was all his ideas. He wrote them all down and dated it and mailed it back to himself. So there's no fucking way he stole it from anybody. How about that? Toats okay? Safe safe.
Speaker 2: So he starts working on the Facebook, and he's kind of he's stringing along the twins. He's telling them he's working on it, but he's not really working on it. I'm not really clear if they've like paid him anything at this point, but there's just a whole thing where he's basically working on his Facebook or the Facebook and not doing their work. Eventually, he comes up with the idea of adding the relationship status and interested in and then he decides it's ready to go. He launched his Facebook and it catches on really fast. There's also a whole storyline about Andrew Garfield is getting into an exclusive club or frat or something that he is clearly jealous of, like so jealous because he wants to be a cool kid.
Speaker 1: He wants to be a bro. He wants he's not a jock.
Speaker 2: He's very smart, he's very awkward, he doesn't know how to talk to people.
Speaker 1: He's not exactly personable. He's not exactly somebody. He's somebody Like if you invite him to the party, for the dinner party or whatever, like you have to kind of think, like, all right, who else is going to be there? Yeah, you know who's he gonna interact with? How is it going to go? Yeah?
Speaker 2: And I know that. Like people have said, like, well, maybe he's autistic and he has a hard time reading a room, and yeah, it's like and those things can be true, but being as someone who's raising an autistic man like that doesn't give you permission to be a.
Speaker 1: No, you can't be an asshole.
Speaker 2: Just no, it's not that's not good enough. Sorry, that's not a good enough excuse. So there's this. Yeah, so you can tell he's actually really jealous of Andrew Garfield's character. Also, he's Andrew Garfield. He's very, very cute, and the ladies love.
Speaker 1: Him Garfields accent of everything.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, he's so, he's so cute and he's every girl. Every woman freaked out at the Golden Globes. He was wearing his slutty little glasses and like it's too much, it's too much. I get it, I get it. Everybody. So they start cutting to different lawsuits. Now we find out that Andrew Garfield is suing as well for six hundred million dollars. We don't know why he's suing yet, we just know he's suing. We also know the Twins are suing him for a lot of money. And he does have this interesting speech where Zuckerberg says that the only reason the twins are suing him is because it's the first time, like they didn't get what they wanted. And there he's not wrong, and he's not wrong. That's true. Like they definitely are super entitled.
Speaker 1: I loved that. I'm sorry, sorry, I love that scene when they're with the the guy at Harvard. You know they're going to report him because he stole their idea, and I'm like, he turns at one point, he turns to his assistants like can you punch me in the face, because he's just so sick of these assholes. He's bad enough.
Speaker 2: They are so entire, they are so mighty. They're like bags, Yeah.
Speaker 1: We're on the rowing team and our dad's a big investor in the school.
Speaker 2: And we're getting a meeting with the president. So like they're easy to hate, Like, yes, very easy to hate. And it's Armie Hammer like, there's all that. So they launch Facebook and it turns out like having it kind of turns them into like, I guess, for lack of a better word, like rock stars, Like they have groupies. They go out and there's like girls who are like, you found you founded Facebook. You know, next thing, you know, they're getting blowjobs in the bathroom, you know, that sort of thing. But there's a whole thing where like even after he gets a blowjob in the bathroom for one of his groupies, he sees Rooney Mara at a restaurant and he wants to talk to her alone, and she is just like not having it. Yeah, I wish I was that cool if I saw.
Speaker 1: An X.
Speaker 2: Like she, you know, just totally schools him the whole like, good luck with your video game, like, and immediately he's like, now I must make a billion dollars. He wants to take the Facebook to the next level because she has spurned him again. And what happens after that.
Speaker 1: He winds oh outs, yeah, he.
Speaker 2: Winds in pouds And eventually the website gets the attention of Sean Parker, who is the founder of Napster. If you are young and you don't know what napster is. It's basically how we end up with iTunes and Spotify.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we used to ruin our company servers where we worked. I did. Anyway, they had a big meeting because there's like four of us that were on Napster all day and they downloaded hundreds of songs. Yes, and I would trade playlist with friends and you could download anything. Yeah, you could say like radio Head, you know the spy who Loved Me, I want that that song. You could find it and then you had it in a digital This was blowing our minds at them. That's like so yeah, anyway, before we got trouble with Dan Klora's for that, Like Clora's really lost his mind, like what do we just started on the radio? We're like, dude, you don't get it. Before that, we were like burning CD right and making mixtapes and yes, and you had to order you know, you go through I don't know where you went online, but if you were looking for like like I said, like a Radiohead B side or something, you had to go to the record store and like find it or you had to order it. The fact that you just be at your desk it just boom, hit a button and there it is. It was was like, you know, it's like rats hitting the pellet. You know, the thing is science experiments, Like that's exactly this is what I want.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there was a time y'all where we couldn't have whatever we wanted whenever we wanted it.
Speaker 1: Right, that's why we're bitter about the younger generation. Yeah, we're like, you're so lucky, you know, we get it.
Speaker 2: We had to watch commercials, we had to listen to the radio that also had commercials.
Speaker 1: Like right and shitty songs you don't care about. Yeah, yeah, yeah, it was a game changer. It really was.
Speaker 2: And Sean Parker in this movie is played by Justin Timberlake and it was not his like first movie, but it was like I think the one that people were like, oh shit, maybe Justin Timberlake could actually act.
Speaker 1: Be a movie star. Yes, I don't know if he ever was a movie star or no. He's he's great for Saturday Night Live, Like you give him some sketches, he's great, and he commits and he commits to it. He doesn't care. I think he's good in this movie. I think he's also the right person. Yes, because Sean Parker for that generation was hot. For anybody that was in a band that lost money from him, they hated him, but everybody they like Napster. Everyone liked Napster, loved Napster. I thought he was a genius. Yes, he had a lot of the especially yeah, and especially in the Bay Area. Yeah.
Speaker 2: And there's the he uh wakes up in bed. He's got little baby, Dakota Johnson, as you know, the woman he wakes up to wakes up with, and he like gets on her computer and that's when he sees the Facebook and he is instantly like, well, I want to get in on that. He's an opportunist for sure. He yeah, you know, he maybe isn't he. I don't think he like made money on Napster. In fact, he got sued a lot for Nempsters. So I think he's looking for the next big thing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but he has a lot of money. I know. We talked about this on my other show, Like when Sean Parker got married, he spent like three million dollars and they like went to the forest. It created a Narnia or something. Oh my god right, it was like a Lord of the Rings theme and millions he spent for this, Like, this guy is not hurt for cash.
Speaker 2: Well, and he had to pay like a massive fine or something. He like destroyed some shit when he had his fancy wedding if I remember correctly, Oh yeah, I'm sure of course of course he would. Of course he would.
Speaker 1: Well, he got it.
Speaker 2: He has a shit ton of money because Sean Parker like wormed his way into face Book and basically pushes Andrew Garfield out. He he meets with them, he really impresses Mark Zuckerberg with like how popular he is, how like you know, he he dazzles them with Apple teenies and fancy food basically, and he sees how cool Sean Parker is and how everyone thinks he's cool. And he just gets what he wants. And Mark Zuckberg's like, I want that, right, and Andrew Garfield is I think still thinking about it like more in an he wants it to make money, but he wants to like put ads on Facebook.
Speaker 1: That's where he thinks the money comes from.
Speaker 2: And he's not wrong. It does get money from that, but it most of its money is data. Yeah, our personal information. We're the product on Facebook. So yeah, Sean Parker like starts weaseling his way in to them. He gets closer and closer to Mark Zuckerberg. He gets him to like drop. He encourages him to like come out to Palo Alto because California is where it's at.
Speaker 1: We know how to party. Shallow Alto. Yeah, Shala Alto it is.
Speaker 2: There's a lot of tech money and in Palo Alto for sure. Yeah, it's a.
Speaker 1: I went to San Jose State. That's when I had friends from there. They always say I'm from Shallow Alto because they didn't do to Stanford. If any couldn't get into Stanford Berkeley, Saturday State, it's a great school.
Speaker 2: But yeah, yeah, you were right in the thick of it, Like that's yeah, I was. You know, well I went to college up north, but like I work and live in San Francisco and that's where the dot com bubble was, but it was also a lot of it in San Jose and Shallow Alto. So he convinces him to come out. He they rent a house where they're it's basically a frat house, which is probably his dream, right because he just wants to like be included and they're all just like what doing drugs? And coating and building out Facebook and Sean Parker. Basically, he just moves in and he's like doing coke and he's bringing girls who are underage, and he's also just yeah, he's a prick too. And when Andrew Garfield's character shows up, he's like, what the fuck is he doing here? And they just slowly push him out, and it's it's really sad to watch, like he's fucking over taking. He's fucking over his only friend.
Speaker 1: The only friend that he has that really cared about him and was like had his back, and he totally stabs him in the back because it's more important to him to be popular than to be a decent person exactly.
Speaker 2: There's also this funny thing about like Andrew Garfield. This story runs in the local paper that he's torturing a chicken because he fed some chicken to the chicken and that was forced cannibalism. And what's funny about it to me is when Andrew Garfield freaks out and he's like, I didn't.
Speaker 1: Know that was a thing. Don't fish eat other fish. He's not wrong, He's not wrong. I wouldn't know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, dude, I've heard about I've seen people feed eggs to chickens, Like yeah, whatever, Like he's not he wasn't torturing an animal.
Speaker 1: But a college kid that's an animal rights activist is one of the most most siperous people. They get their knickers and a twist over a lot of things.
Speaker 2: Oh well, yeah, every they're coming forget me.
Speaker 1: Sorry so no, no, no.
Speaker 2: College college students who discover what their values are yes are like can be the most obnoxious people in the world. And I was one of those people.
Speaker 1: At me too, by the way, Yeah, I'm not absolving myself.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so, and it's it's part of growing up. It is, that's part of college, is there for Apparently you got to plant stories about men who feed chicken to chickens.
Speaker 1: You have to, especially at place like Harvard, where just it's you're so like in a pristine environment. Yeah you know, you're so you're so separate from the real world. But they don't think they are, like Yale around ye. I know Harvard and Yale, not because I went there, obviously, but I know people went there and they tell me, like, at Harvard, it's just like Narnia when you're there. I can't get Narnia out of my head. But it is so special and beautiful and for sure you're in It's New England, right and whereas Yale, you're surrounded by the city around Yale is not it's not let's just say that. So there is like that you are brushed up again a little bit more reality, whereas in Harvard, you're in Harvard plant.
Speaker 2: That makes sense to me.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there's.
Speaker 2: Uh oh, so they slowly they push Edward out. There's this whole thing where like they they all get stocks and they get like a an angel investor in Peter Thiel. Yeah, over at what a creep. We have talked about We have talked about Peter. We've talked about Armie Hammer. We have talked about Peter Thiel.
Speaker 1: Mark Zuckerberg, Yeah, we've talked.
Speaker 2: About the Yeah, we've done Elon Musk. We did that one way too early, like he's proceeded to be even We're actually I don't know, have we done a full episode on Mark Zuckerberg.
Speaker 1: I don't no, I think we Yeah, I think we've just mentioned him.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we've definitely talked about him in like bonus episode. But we we will do a full episode on this guy at some point for sure.
Speaker 1: And Aaron Sorkin, you can make that argument.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, yeah, yeah, he he has a problematic The way he writes women is very very problematic. Like they you know, they can never be too smart.
Speaker 1: They're never smarter than the man. Then that they're arguing with even he's not the smartest man. Yeah, I mean, and.
Speaker 2: They're clumsy for some strange reason.
Speaker 1: It's oh yeah, Liberty Gibbets.
Speaker 2: Still, I love Sports Night, I love the West Wing.
Speaker 1: I love the Best Winning, I love Yeah, I like his work. I mean I'm jealous, I guess, but it is as a woman, it's very hard sometimes, Like the choices he makes, you're just like, it's an eye roll for me. Yeah. Yeah.
Speaker 2: So they do the thing with their song and then they like I don't understand how stocks work, to be honest, but there's this whole thing where they then like diluted, like Andrew Garfield, stocks from like thirty four percent to like zo point zero three percent, and nobody else, nobody else takes.
Speaker 1: A hit like he.
Speaker 2: You know, Mark Zuckerberg doesn't take a hit, Sean Parker doesn't take a hit like all these other random no one else takes a hit, just him and they like push him out. They give him his nineteen thousand dollars back that he invested, and they remove him from the masthead and everything, even though he had been there from the beginning.
Speaker 1: And I think, doesn't he get money later on? Like, I yeah, he Susan gets money later on. But still, this is a betrayal that's like nice level huge betrayal.
Speaker 2: And like they're sitting in this conference room with their lawyers and you can tell like a war knows so hurt by what he did. He hates that he has to sue this person, and Zuckerberg.
Speaker 1: Wants to sue.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And it's like Zuckerberg is such a petty manchild that he yeah, he's just so shitty to him. He's ug And when he says, like you had one friend, like Andre Garfield turns to him and says you had one friend? Like what an asshole?
Speaker 1: And yeah, and he has now he's a grown man. It's twenty years later and he's a grown man and he has a he's married and he's going through midlife crisis. Now, is that's the Zuckerberg we're getting now? But he has three daughters, yeah, three, and he's raising them with his wife, and he's now like taken the red pill and decided more masculine energy please. Yeah, and nobody looks at you for that, dude. No, And it's okay. And it's okay that they don't. It's okay to not to be the biggest alpha male. Yeah, you know, but they but that's his that's his achilles heel.
Speaker 2: Yeah. He he did a video where he said that he wasn't doing content moderation anymore at Facebook, and uh, we're just gonna he's just there's just gonna be like community notes and we need more masculine energy and blah blah blah. And he's wearing this like black shirt and he's wearing like a gold chain.
Speaker 1: People were sharing it.
Speaker 2: With like a screenshot of Napoleon Dynamite's brother, and I was like, that's about right, it's about right, Like, and we have talked about this off Mike. I'm like, he's giving me like angry soon to be divorced man energy, So.
Speaker 1: Divorced dad energy. Yeah, I'm like, let's just see like on their family by the way.
Speaker 2: Totes toats like I I you know, by his wife seems like a very smart person. Yeah, I would hope that she could be like, why are you being such a dick?
Speaker 1: Yeah, but yeah, or.
Speaker 2: Maybe she doesn't care, or maybe you know, I heard that she loves that he's doing this like mixed martial arts fighting, and I'm like, maybe she loves it when he gets his ass kicked, Like maybe she's like.
Speaker 1: I would see the pleasure in that. I would see the pleasure in that. Like you live in all those fancy homes, you go on any vacation you want, you don't have to worry about money, but you're attached to this guy. Yeah, and every once in a while you do get to see him either with a really uneven sunburn on his body because he's goes windscaling and he doesn't how to do it, or he's just getting his ass kicked, which I'm okay with both of that. I could see that.
Speaker 2: Or maybe he's working out his aggression and he's not taking it out on her.
Speaker 1: Just a theory.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he's a real piece of work. Let's just say yeah. Yes, And there's a whole thing where like he's talking to Rashida Jones. He even invites her to dinner and she's like, no thanks, but she tells him like, you're not an asshole, Mark, but you're trying so hard to be. And I'm like, I disagree, No.
Speaker 1: He's not trying that hard.
Speaker 2: Hunt Like fifteen years ago when I saw this movie, I did agree. I was like, yeah, he's maybe he's not an asshole, but he's trying so hard to be. Now I'm like, nah, he's just an asshole. Yeah, And all these years later, that dude has still not learned shit. He hasn't learned anything.
Speaker 1: No, no, and all that he has going for him is not enough. And just think about that for a second. I could have like one percent of what he has and I would be goddamn thrilled. Yeah.
Speaker 2: You know, he has so much money. He could be traveling the world and having these amazing experiences and eating the best food and meeting like cool, interesting people, and he's like, nah, I'd rather just make life harder for people online.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Like, which is pathetic.
Speaker 2: Yeah, his thing when he you know, in the movie, he says like the idea of like he wanted to help people build connections and make it easier for people to connect, And I don't You're not doing that anymore. You're making it harder. You're making it easier for people to be shitty to each other.
Speaker 1: And also it's easier to like put people in little groups and not have them intermingle with one another. So I called bold shit on that when he says that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, me too. So there's a whole thing where so Rashida Jones gives him the speech you know, you're not an asshole, but you're trying so hard to be.
Speaker 1: And I'm like, yeah, yeah, that's Aaron Sorkin telling himself that.
Speaker 2: By the way, Yeah totally. And then she leaves, and then Zuckerberg sends a friend request to Runey Maara and he just sits there and like refreshes, hoping that like she's going to acknowledge him, which she won't. Not ever, we learn that he's like the world's youngest billionaire. We learned that the Twins got sixty five million dollars from him and Eduardo, that Andrew Garfield character got an unknown settlement, and he also got credit for his work, like his name is back on the masthead and things like that. But you know he paid everybody off. He's still rolling in it. This dude is not suffered.
Speaker 1: No, Yeah, he has more than he's ever had. Yeah, and he and you know, this is like for you and I and people with a conscience, it's like I think, like, wow, what good things can I do with this? How can I make the world a better place? And either way, and if you have an ego, everybody could know that you're doing it for the better place.
Speaker 2: But that's just not beloved right and be rich.
Speaker 1: You can be both and he won't do that. Nope.
Speaker 2: It's so fucked up that the people that are the do stuff like that are like Melinda Gates or like Jeff bezos ex wife. It's not right prize to me that it's women that our ex wives. Yeah, the ex wives are willing to do these things. And these dudes are not like Jeff Bezos, Elon Musk, Mark Zuckerberg. It's all the same shit. Like they I don't know, man, They just they want to be cool bros.
Speaker 1: And they don't outgrow it. And they do not outgrow exactly. It's like a twenty one year old's idea of a cool person that they still have in their fucking heads.
Speaker 2: Yep. And they all want to, you know, go on Joe Rogan and like smoke cigars and be like We're so cool, right, and it's like, no, we all hate you.
Speaker 1: It's a bouser. If you saw the audience that thought you were cool, you would never you would shudder constantly from embarrassment. Yes, right, it wouldn't be people that you admire. It would just be huchebags like you. No, it's so they don't see that. Yeah, And I think.
Speaker 2: This movie, like I was worried it wasn't going to age well for me, but actually it's still played pretty well for me.
Speaker 1: It's very watchful. I don't want to shoot on this movie. I mean I find it. It's very watchful. Yeah, I still I go along with the pace of it. The acting's great. I agree with the choices that they make. I really feel like I'm at Harvard. I really feel like I'm in Silicon Valley. I feel their pain. I see the whole journey. So it's it's you know, it's Fincher and Sorkin, who you can have your problems, you know, your Sorkin problems whatever. But he's good at writing. I mean he's to write a script. He knows how to put a story together. And Fincher's like direction is always amazing. Yeah, he's done some of my.
Speaker 2: Favorites, Like, yeah, he's so so good, And I just think that the original like thesis was the like, you're not an asshole, but you're trying so hard to be, when really the thesis is.
Speaker 1: You're you're an asshole, and this was your chance to kind of of like set the standard for yourself to be better, right, And instead he saw it as like this is a license for me to be even worse. It sucks, and it sucks, and it hurts a lot of people, and it's hurting a lot of people. It's hurting marginalized people the most. That's the people that and so when yeah, I don't know, it's actually starting to wear me down.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it is a It is a very good movie. It is super watchable. Again, the performances are really really good. I was glad we watched it, Like I think I needed I think I needed to get it.
Speaker 1: Out of my system. Yeah I could be like, Okay.
Speaker 2: We've done this. This movie was nominated for eight Academy Awards, and I thought I would like to go through some of them for you. Yeah please, Okay, So it was nominated for Best Director for David Fincher also nominated The Cohen Brothers for True Grit. I like that movie, david O Russell for The Fighter. We've done an episode on david O Russell.
Speaker 1: Yeah, no, thanks.
Speaker 2: Christian Bale is really good in that movie, but I could skip it. Darren are of Natsky for Aaronsky Thank you for Black Swan.
Speaker 1: He's from Brooklyn. I wrote about him in my book.
Speaker 2: And then the winner was Tom Hooper from The King Speech, a movie we're all still talking about.
Speaker 1: All the time. Oh my god, what a fun movie that was. You know, of all those, I like The Social Network the best, to be honest with you, True Grit. Maybe True Grit is better. Yeah, I haven't seen that in a while, but I think, like of all of them, True the Social Network is the most watchable for sure.
Speaker 2: It was nominated for Best Picture obviously King Speech one, but other movies nominated. I know, King Speech is fine, It's fine.
Speaker 1: It's a Mirrimax movie. Yeah, Harvey Weinstein another way he screwed.
Speaker 2: Us all over Yeah boo.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: The other movies here, it's like, okay, uh, Black Swan, no, The Fighter, no Inception, No, the kids.
Speaker 1: Are all right. No.
Speaker 2: I don't like any of the one hundred and twenty seven hours.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I watch a guy cut his arm off. I didn't even watch it. I never same Franco. Another creep by the way. Uh.
Speaker 2: Toy Story three, Yeah, that's great, which I've seen more times than I could count.
Speaker 1: Because and it makes me cry my fucking eyes.
Speaker 2: I used to run out of the room because it would make me. Toy Story two and three maybe cry like.
Speaker 1: They will fuck you up? Yep.
Speaker 2: And then True Grit was also nominated. And Winter's Winter's Bone.
Speaker 1: That's another bummer. I mean, you watch it once and then you never did to see it again. It's good. Yeah, but that's also Jennifer Lawrence like skinning arect Yeah, it's a squirrel whatever she's skinning.
Speaker 2: Uh, Jesse, people have to do to eat byway, Yeah, but we don't want to watch it.
Speaker 1: I watch it. I want to watch that.
Speaker 2: So Jesse Eisenberg was nominated for Best Actor.
Speaker 1: And he's good in this movie. But he's so, he's so and he's not a creep. He was one of our non creeps. Yeah.
Speaker 2: And if you haven't seen it yet, a real paint or yeah, a real pain streaming. I think it might even be on Hulu right now, if you have Hulu. He wrote and directed it. It's getting all kinds of yeah, got a buzz, It's got some buzz here. And Kulkin is so good in it that it's it's very good. It's a it's a walkie talkie movie. I like it so other movie people nominated for Best Actor. James Franco, Yeah, Jeff Bridges for True Grit, always great, Javier Bardem for.
Speaker 1: Bootiful but I don't know what that is.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and then call him Firth one for the King speech.
Speaker 1: He should have won for Pride and Prejudice.
Speaker 2: I think that that was a I think that was TV.
Speaker 1: But he well, he deserves all the awards for that.
Speaker 2: Yes, even Oscars. They should give it to him For's Diary.
Speaker 1: He's mister Dercy forever for me.
Speaker 2: That's right, me too. Let's see. Uh, Adam Andrew Garfield was not nominated, which is that's that is not cool?
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 2: It was nominated for Best Adapted Screenplay and it won.
Speaker 1: It's a good screenplay. I mean, it's infuriating, but I think that's also part of it too, Like that's great character.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, all the other adapted screenplays and movies we already mentioned one and twenty seven Hours, Hard Pass, Toy Story Three, Great True Grit, and Winter's Bone, and I believe it was also nominated for Yes. Original score is.
Speaker 1: Yes, that's that's why. Yeah.
Speaker 2: And they did the score for him and what's his name, Atticus Ross. Yes, And they also did the score for Challengers, which has been winning some awards for the score because it's really good. It's a really good score.
Speaker 1: Did you see Challengers? No, I don't even know what that is.
Speaker 2: Oh, that's the one with Zendeia and they're playing tennis.
Speaker 1: And now I've seen the zenda Is it Zendaya the movie that the the the French movie that takes place in Mexico and it has the trans person.
Speaker 2: Oh that that's Amelia Perez.
Speaker 1: Right, so it's People have been sending me clips and it's of Selena Gomez trying to speak Spanish and it's reallyful.
Speaker 2: She's been nominated for all kinds of stuff.
Speaker 1: Wars. I don't know why, and I like her.
Speaker 2: Zoe Saldana is in Amelia Perez and she steals that whole movie and she's the star of the movie. Like for some reason, she is in the supporting categories, and I'm like, she's the star, she has the most screen time, like she is the lead in that movie, but they're not pitching it that way. She is supporting and but she's really really great in it. So anyway, Social Network one for original score. The other scores are one hundred and twenty seven hours because who everyone loves that? Yeah, yes, Diddy, Yeah, how to Train your Dragon inception in the King's speech. And I don't know, we don't have to keep going through all of these.
Speaker 1: I guess. Do you want to hear the top ten songs from when this came out? Yeah? I do. Let's do that. So it's February first, twenty ten. Uh, and I don't know half of these. It's gonna be pretty embarrassing. Hold on, adjust, no nodjust okay. So number ten is Far East Movement featuring God damn it, kat Terras. I can't even say. It's like six G six like AG six.
Speaker 2: Oh I do know that song?
Speaker 1: Okay, I don't know it. Yeah, I know there's there's flow Rida with David Guda. Club can't handle me.
Speaker 2: I bet if I heard it.
Speaker 1: Maybe number eight Nelly also going to the Trump thing H for just a Dream. Number seven Enrique Iglesias with Pitbull. I like it.
Speaker 2: A gain, I heard it.
Speaker 1: Uh, that's so that's seven. Number six is Tao Cruise Dynamite. Oh okay, I know that one. Tao number five Usher with Pitbull, DJ got Us Falling in Love. I know that one.
Speaker 2: Yep, there's one.
Speaker 1: There's one. Number four, I know this one Katie Perry Teenage Dream.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, that's a catchy song.
Speaker 1: She used to put out really good pop songs. Guys. That's number four. So number three is Rihanna who I Love Only Girl in the World. I still love that.
Speaker 2: Song, love that song and love her dope.
Speaker 1: Number two Eminem with Rihanna Love the Way You Lie. Oh yeah, okay, I know one two and number one Bruno Mars Just the Way You Are. I love that song. Yeah. So there's some I knew. Yeah, good job. Yeah.
Speaker 2: What else are you dorkying out about? My friend?
Speaker 1: Well, we were recording our other show the other day and I found out when we were done that David died, and I've it really was like a gut punch because we've lost somebody who not only was just talented, but uber talented, just like an artist in the truest sense of the world, like he looked at the world so differently, but he wasn't a shithead about it. He was much more about you should you know, come and see what I'd see. This is fun. So I've been going back and watching Twin Peaks again and it really really holds up and it really kind of makes you sad at the same time, because where's our David Lynch.
Speaker 2: Now, Yeah, I I don't know why. I was surprised at like how much this one hurt.
Speaker 1: Like, yeah, I was like to Bob's big boy. Every day they have like a big they have, like all these people showed up and they were like putting their remembrances to him. Trent Reznor talked about it. Kyle McLaughlin's been it's like Twin Peaks. If you don't know, it came out a nineteen ninety and this is before Disney was a part of ABC, so they could be a little edgier, and that show was super fucking edgy. And we used to we used to actually attach the TV to the speakers, which was a big deal for us. We had like surround sound and to watch because everything mattered, every shot mattered. Every song mattered, like it just it was so fun. So I've been like doing my twin Peaks dive and it's so great, so.
Speaker 2: Good and and creepy and yes, like the character of Bob absolutely terrified me, terrified me back in the day.
Speaker 1: And then just like finding out, like the whole point of the show was like who killed Laura Palmer? And everyone was obsessed, yes, and then you find out what happened Laura Palmer. It's like deeper and more depraved and giers than you could even imagine. But that was part of the show. But then you also had other people like Andy the sheriff guy, and that like the Kimney girl, and they were they had a thing going. And then David Lynch shows up and he's like an FBI guy that's hard of hearing, so he like yells all of his lines. And there's Miguel Frere is in there. David d'covney shows up, David Ducumney, I think in drag, but he.
Speaker 2: Plays a he's a trans yeah, a trans woman.
Speaker 1: I mean it's Sherilyn Fenn is so beautiful, Eric Flip Loyal is adorable. I just such a great cast, such a mood, the cherry pie and the coffee, I mean, just everything about it. It's just like it brings me back to nineteen ninety and it's it's that's been like sort of the way I've been soothing myself well in Usingham.
Speaker 2: Just such a brilliant weirdo. Yes you know, and and not a dick about it.
Speaker 1: No, he's not mean about it. Is the things like I'm into this and these are things that interest me and if you want to come along, great, if not, that's cool. You know, he's the anti Zuckerberg. He doesn't doesn't need all of that outward validation. He just kind of fun and he finds joy in simple things, which is really beautiful and like more people need to be like more this please.
Speaker 2: I watched Muholland Drive, yeah when I found out, and it's on the Criteria. They have a bunch of his movies right now in the Criterion channel, so if you have it, you can do that. And then I did read that Pluto TV the Pluto app they have uploaded all of Twin Peaks, so if you want, and you can watch it for free, so if you haven't watched it, but Mholland Drive is a fuck is like a mind fuck, and it's another one that's like creepy and weird. And Naomi Watts is so fucking good in it.
Speaker 1: And she posted on Instagram how she felt, and she's like I was. She said she was auditioning for like ten years and wasn't getting anything, and then she met David and David Lynch and they said she said like it just changed her life commutely.
Speaker 2: And I see that because I remember the first time I saw it. She she's playing two people and the physical transformation from one to the other is really fucking impressive and kind of broke my brain the first time I saw it because she's doing it without like prosthetics or makeup or it was just the way she carried herself. Anyway, She's so so good in it. And again, all his movies are out there for streaming and.
Speaker 1: People should do it. But Twin Peaks is such a vibe. It's such a vibe. Everyone should see Twin Peaks in their lifetime. Okay, maybe you don't want to, maybe we'll just watch twe episode. You're fine, But I mean, seriously, having like a whole evening of it is really fun.
Speaker 2: I don't know how you watch the pilot and then you don't go on to the next one like that.
Speaker 1: That would boggle my mind.
Speaker 2: Like I watched the pilot so many times back in the day because I just loved it so much.
Speaker 1: But yeah, David Lynch, Yeah, I've Also there's a couple of documentaries about Diddy. There's Diddy's Down from Ball on Hulu. There's one on Peacock. Uh, he's a pig, He's a he's a discussing.
Speaker 2: I haven't watched any of them yet, or any of them telling us things we don't already know.
Speaker 1: No, But it's also like it's just it's the people are coming out of the woodwork, Like I think people are finally like I've been terrified to say anything because he will get people killed. Apparently I can't prove that, by the way, I'm not saying he did, but it's something that people hint at, Okay, and that's their fear, Like not even just like, oh, I won't have a career show business anymore. It's like way beyond the fear they have of him, Okay, and and so, and I like to see cockroaches coming out in the light being exposed. That's part of the thrill for me. That's part of my thing. Uh, there's a There's on Disney. There's oh No, so Disney Hulu. They have the Diddy on Max. They have an update on our family family Vloggers.
Speaker 2: I watched that last night. I'm gonna have fod feelings about this one. But this was one of three episodes, I guess, yeah, and they're dropping them weekly. But yeah, I know this story. I've heard this story. I but and I'm gonna watch it play out, and I know it's gonna make me so fun and angry.
Speaker 1: It's gonna make me so angry. It's a family that makes their living putting out family vlogs, and this is all happened within our generation and we're finding out now it's really not a great idea to have your children be on camera for other people to consume, like from the time they're born until they're eighteen. These kind of damaging.
Speaker 2: These people make a lot of money. Like Calvin, my son is thirteen now and he over the years has watched different like family vlogs that like come across his feed, and he's watched one called like the one that's like Ryan's World with the boy who reviews toys they like briefly talk about.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he's watched that.
Speaker 2: He's watched the one called the Tannerites, which I believe is like a Mormon family with like eight kids. He's watched some of those like and they. I do think it's interesting that they're interviewing people who watch those family vlogs and what they get out of them. And I understand, like you want a sense of community, or you're maybe you're pregnant and your friends aren't having babies and they're looking to like learn yeah stuff, But like they're the idea of them. A lot of these people quit their jobs and they like monetize their family, right.
Speaker 1: And the thing is you have to feed the beast, like you constantly have to come up with content. It's just every single day is not enough. You always want more. You have to keep people engaged, so they have to just so you start just coming up with shit. And and these kids, there's a generation of kids that we're going to learn about when they're in their like forties and they're finally getting therapy and stuff that's going to be mind blowing. But that's on Max. I really like American Jesus what is the word.
Speaker 2: Uh, yeah, I haven't started it yet.
Speaker 1: I like it. It's it's about a true event in Utah that was a Mormon community. They had a Mormon governor and then they had Native Americans that were living where they wanted to live. You know, they're kind of like, oh, we're showing it. We need people, we need the space. And is it Kerry Gilben Betty Gilbin, Yes, Betty Guilben. She is the lead, and she she's so good. But she's also like she's good at she's great and everything. And I want to read her book. She has a she's on biography. Yeah, and I hear it's really great. Her character, though, literally makes the worst choices at the worst possible moment because she refuses to not be listened to. And it's a case where like a woman, like just as a person, sometimes you really just got to bow to the people around you and they know it better for you. Yeah, but it's still really good. And then you know Real Housewives Salt Lake City fantastic season.
Speaker 2: Oh so good, y'all. I just I just upped my Hulu plan to live deg I.
Speaker 1: Can watch the reunion in real time. It's like I can't wait.
Speaker 2: I need to see it. The season is good, like Chef's Kiss. The season's been so fucking good, Like I think. We talked about this off Mike about what an amazing season it's been and I both of us were like, I don't think that they can top last seasons, right, We didn't think they're with the like receipts, timeline screenshots, emails. I was like, they'll never pass that up. And this one was.
Speaker 1: So fucking good. It was so good because they're all Cray. They are all Cray Cray. They're batshit, I mean, and it's funny because the accused one of a narcissism and it's like, narcissist? Do you not know about yourselves this point? Yeah, but yeah, they're they're having the reunion coming up, and it's yeah, I'm I'm super psyched. Yes, it's just great.
Speaker 2: In this finale, they did a thing where they were all reading the meanest things they've said about each other on their phone, and I told Margo, I was like, I would throw my phone into the ocean before I would before I would read.
Speaker 1: You know that? And also like I'm at the age and I don't drink anymore. Too, So that's cut down a out of my texting. But I also like the older I get, the less I commit to emails or texts that are like really heated. Yeah, because, as Derinda says from Real Housewives of New York, say it, regret it, say it, forget it, write it, regret it. Like when you put things in words that other people can read, it makes it so much worse.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because it's there forever it is, just like she says in the social network she says, the Internet's in ink.
Speaker 1: Yep, it's out there even when you delete it. It's you delete the deleteds. Yeah, delete the deleted That's another Real Housewives saw like saidy there's like the best section of like I know you deleted it, but you delete the deleted Oh yeah, there's a because there's a deleted folder for the deleteds. Oh really.
Speaker 2: Oh my's great, so fucking good? Uh anything else on your list?
Speaker 1: No, that's it. Everything on your.
Speaker 2: List was on my list, except I have decided to catch up with The Gilded Age, which I didn't watch so good the first time around, So I am about halfway through season two. It's just I can't believe that I waited this long. Yeah, like it's totally my jam. I like these kinds of shows. Everyone is so good in it. I love the clothes I love like. I like Bridgerton too, Like I like this sort of thing. So the fact that I waited so long, I hope the season three starts soon. Actually, let me google that right now, Gilded Age season three. Let's see if we have a date, because I don't want to wait. It says sometime this year.
Speaker 1: It's Christine Baranski and there's so many great people in it. And you know, for me, it's Cynthia Nixon, Robert Sean Leonard was in there the second season. There's just so many. It was so happy to see him. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Same, Carrie June is so great. I think it's Morgan Spencer plays her husband. He's so great. That's Meryl Streep's daughter is playing Marion's and.
Speaker 1: She's so good.
Speaker 2: It's it's really really enjoyable, and like, I'm so glad that I decided to pick it up and watch it. So, yeah, that's one of my other things. And yeah, after I look at the inauguration is happening next week. I'm just looking for shit to keep it together for the next weeks.
Speaker 1: Yeah, once I finished.
Speaker 2: Gilded Age, then what, I don't know, I'll move on to something else. Maybe I'll go back and watch some other Real Housewives.
Speaker 1: We have to find comfort somewhere.
Speaker 2: Yeah, everything on your list was on my list, so that means you're watching great stuff. Margo.
Speaker 1: Yep, we share a brain, so we do.
Speaker 2: I know we do share a brain. So this was super fun. I wanted to say, if you would like to give us a review wherever you listen to your podcasts, that would be amazing because it helps us find our people. And somebody did that for us. They gave us a five star review on Apple and it's from someone named dork Queen. I expect this of you, dork Queen, and she was just saying how much she loves that we like go through the whole plot and that she's watching she's listening to the Office Space one now and she gave us five stars. So thank you for that, and if you y'all could do that, it would be super helpful.
Speaker 1: My friend.
Speaker 2: Where can people find you on the internet.
Speaker 1: I'm at Brooklynfitchick dot com as of now, I'm at Brooklyn Fitchick for threads and Instagram, I'm at Brooklyn Rgo for TikTok see how that goes, and for a Blue Sky, And then I'm on YouTube at my name Margo Donahue.
Speaker 2: Follow her on the things. She's always sharing clips of stuff for our other podcast that we also co host called What a Creep, where we talk about creeps in the past and the present and right now. Our episode out right Now is related to last week's doorking out where she's talking about like the creepy plot lines of John Hughes movies.
Speaker 1: Yes, we talked about fun, Yeah, talk about we talk with sixteen candles, pretty pig, but we also throw some other, you know, maybe lesser known, Yes, Hughes material, and we don't shit on Hughes himself as a human being.
Speaker 2: Yes, it's just.
Speaker 1: About some of the plot lines that he had in his problematic problematic as fuck.
Speaker 2: Yes, So follow her on all the things and check us out over there. You can find me at the Sonia Show dot com. That's never gone away. I'm on Instagram and threads for now. You can find me on Blue Sky also at the Sonia Show, and I'm on TikTok too until they pry it out on my cold dead.
Speaker 1: Ahead, so sad.
Speaker 2: It's really bumming me out that that's going away. But what will I do with all that free time? I don't know. You can find dorking Out at doorkinoutshow dot com. You can email us at dorking Outshow at Gmail. We take requests, so if you have a movie you'd like us to talk about, send it our way. If you give us your address, Margot will send you stickers because she's a good human will do those things. You can also find us on for now, Threads, Instagram, and dorkin Out is also on blue Sky. This was super fun. I'm glad that we got this one out of our system. Thank you for talking about the social network with me.
Speaker 1: I'm feeling good now you got it out of the way. We did it.
Speaker 3: Bud bout the contact