Speaker 1: It's time for coffee and company, fueled by Sortins on Sports Talk seven nine day.
Speaker 2: Holy crap, I don't know who the hell we think? Well, we are get off our show, idiot.
Speaker 1: The kids are playing or tail off.
Speaker 2: Their countries are.
Speaker 1: Screwing it up. Gold Play Inner Murals, Brother, gold Play Inner Murals. They're supposed to be mature adults, but they're really not. Who's the kid here? Who's the kid here? Are you kidding me?
Speaker 2: Now?
Speaker 1: Here's Nick coffee.
Speaker 3: You know what I was worried would happened last night actually ended up happening. And I'm not talking about, you know, the game itself. My worry was that at nine o'clock tip, been a while since Lovell had a nine o'clock tip when the team was good and there was a momentum. So my worry was, Man, it's gonna be tough for me to fall asleep. And that's exactly what happened. I'm running on about I don't know three hours, but don't care because last night was awesome and we're going to talk about it today, and of course we'll talk about a lot of other things here on a Wednesday.
Speaker 2: Thanks for hanging out.
Speaker 3: It's coffee and company fuel about Thornton's here on Sports Talk seven ninety Take us with you wherever you go. Listen live on the iHeartRadio app. Also listen live at seven ninety Louisville dot com. There'll be plenty of ways for you guys to participate on the show today, and I want to hear from you because you know, we've had more caller interaction as of late, and we always want you guys to be a part of the shows.
Speaker 2: That's sort of how this works.
Speaker 3: But days where we had really NonStop interaction where I had to kind of remind myself, hey, don't be so caller driven. I mean, there are certain days where that makes total sense, But in recent years when that's happened, it's been because there's a lot of panic going on. There's real concern about really the basketball program. Right We've had our moments in football where things weren't and great, there was some worry, but really, like I just I want to get back to having a super interactive show, and it's because fans are excited. I don't want to turn this into Homer Radio, but I kind of don't really know how else to do it. When it comes to talking about this Louisville basketball team. So again, what a what a night last night. I didn't know what to expect from SMU, and I was kind of spending my wheels yesterday during the show because you know, I wasn't going to make it a pregame show, but obviously it was. It was the last opportunity for Louisville to get a quad one win. SMU was kind of a mystery and Louisville was riding some momentum eight game winning streak, and I was confident. But I guess maybe that's just I guess that's part of this process. And what I mean by that is the process of, you know, remembering what it's like to kind of be in situations like.
Speaker 2: This, to where you feel pretty good about your team.
Speaker 3: You've got into a point where you're I guess near the back half, well, I guess the backstretch of your schedule. I think you're clearly halfway through the season at this point, but still, you know, like I felt really confident, but in recent weeks when I was confident, it was really just because I felt like, Hey, I know.
Speaker 2: They can win.
Speaker 3: I know that they they you know, have played well and they they are good enough to do it, but I kind of felt like against some of these teams, I was just you know, not as confident because I know, I don't know. I guess what I'm getting at is I felt good yesterday, but it was almost like I wasn't convincing myself that Louisville was gonna go win. And it was more to do with just not really knowing how good SMU was. And I don't really know how good they are right now. I don't really care, to be honest with you. What I do know is that Louisville was a lot better than them. And I mean last night was that the best performance you've seen from.
Speaker 2: A Louisville basketball team? And how long? I mean, they weren't perfect. You never are going to be perfect.
Speaker 3: I mean, they miss shots, they made me stakes, But overall, I mean that that was a game that I think was relatively close or maybe that.
Speaker 2: Is sort of the ceiling for this group.
Speaker 3: I mean, you could look at the stats and there's certainly some things they could have been better at.
Speaker 2: We all know that.
Speaker 3: But I mean, just an absolute ass whipping in Dallas. And I know I'm not alone as far as thinking Okay, how good can this team be? I mean, ninety eight to seventy three against a team that probably you know, has a lot of work to do to end up making the tournament. But still, I mean they're not I mean, last night really wasn't about SMU, and clearly they didn't play well, but like Louisville had a lot to do with that. I mean they had. I mean, I think they were the biggest factor in that. SMU never really got comfortable. They missed some shots around the rim because I think they were a little bit caught off guard by the pace. I mean, clearly they want to score and they don't like to play like slow, but that game got away from them pretty quick and it was just an absolute beat down. Louisville wins ninety eight to seventy three. They've now won nine consecutive games. Joel and already just put out an updated bracket in Bracketology, he has Louisville as a five seed, and I'm starting to wonder what is the ceiling for this group as far as seed line. I mean, you don't have many opportunities. In fact, you have very few opportunities left in the regular season to get wins that are going to have really any value. I mean, you can look at you have pitt that comes to your place. They'll have to be back in the top thirty through outside of it. Right now, I guess that gives you an opportunity for another quad one win. And who knows what happens in the in the ACC tournament. It's impossible to know exactly how this thing's going to finish. But like I can't be the only one that feels like the expectation is that they're going to maybe win the rest of their games. I know I said yesterday that they may slip up, and certainly that could still happen, but this team really the last six games, because they're on a nine game winning streak right now, and I feel like it was I guess the last seven games because obviously the Florida State game and the and the EKU game, those were wins, and you know you'll take them, especially when you only had eight of them last year and four of the year before that. But I'm telling you, guys, in that Carolina game, when they came out once the year twenty twenty five had started at the beginning of January here and they've just been a team that has been so phenomenal defensively. I mean, that's what really has has I think been the big difference maker defense is creating offense.
Speaker 2: I think they.
Speaker 3: Realized that they've got they've got to They got the personnel to go out there and guard anybody, and that's going to give them a chance against a lot of teams. And I just think they've really built a lot of confidence. And last night, I mean as soon as the game started, you know, I'm thinking to myself, Yeah, this this like this team every night, especially in the last you know, this month, They've they bring it and.
Speaker 2: What I don't like And again I'm not complaining.
Speaker 3: Trust me, this is a great position to be and this is awesome, especially when you consider where things were the last couple of years. So this has just been an unbelievable ride and I am. I am loving every second of it. And I know I'm not alone. But what I say, I just don't I don't like not knowing at all, like what I should realistically expect. And then I think to myself, like I'm going, I'm trying to revert back to like what life used to be like before we had that traumatic three to four year stretch because you would you know, you would be thinking about seed line, you'd be thinking about losses that might have really hurts you as far as you know, taking you from a potential three seed to maybe a four or five seed, And like those things are coming back. I'm starting to do that again. And you know that that feels good. That's what you want to do. That's what makes this exciting, That's what makes all this fun. Like the things that come with college basketball, we eat that stuff up. But I'm having like a blockage, if you will, mentally, because I keep telling myself, hey, no, let's not even go there. Let's not think about seed line, let's not think about how far they could go in the tournament. Let's just enjoy this. But I don't. I don't think I need to do that anymore. I think I can. I can comfortably embrace this team having some real expectations the rest of the way. None of us know how this is going to finish. But I mean, I don't. I don't care that the ACC is as down as it is. I mean, I'm not going to tell people that they're wrong when they when they act like the ACC is is, you know, a bad league, especially for what it once was and what it's supposed to be. Like, they're not wrong, it's true, but I think Louisville is is is playing basketball at a high level to where they could be in other leagues. And yeah, they probably would have more losses in league play, but I feel like they can compete with just about anybody. Again, I don't know that we'll find out if they do, in fact make a run in the tournament and end up playing a really, really good team. So maybe I'm wrong, But I mean, I think you're starting to see some others out there, not Louisville fans, but people that are objected, people that cover college basketball in a major way. They are willing to now embrace the Yes, the ACC is what it is, but Duke one of the best teams in the country, maybe the most talented team out there. They're in a league of their own within college basketball maybe when it comes to talent, and certainly they are in a league of their own within the ACC. But I think you're starting to see, well, Louisville, Yeah, they're taking advantage of the down league, but they're also a pretty damn good team. And last night for me, seemed like the moment where it kind of hit me like I'm breaking free of the shackles as far as just you know, having these tempered expectations and trying not to get my hopes up because you know, just making the tournament this year, if I'm being honest with you, would have been awesome. And clearly they're going to do that. Now that's happening. They're going to be a tournament team. And now I'm thinking, Okay, what's the highest seed weeking get and you know, where are these first and second round games being played? Those kind of things, and man, it's just it's just been it's just been fun and I'm loving every minute of it. And it's been it's been a fun ride so far. So you know, we'll talk about some other things today, but obviously, whenever you've got this kind of momentum in Louisville basketball, and you can just tell, the vibes are off the charts right now. I see people out wearing their U of L gear and they've got a little bit of an extra pep in their step. They look to be a little bit more happy than maybe, you know, maybe others, and it's because they're they're loving this and not right now a non game winning streak and easily the second best team right now in the ACC.
Speaker 2: And look, SMU, they weren't. They didn't scare me by any means.
Speaker 3: But that was really the last team on your schedule that I mean, Look, it's crazy to say this now, but Louisville was an underdog last night and they could have won the game by thirty plus and they won by twenty five, like they were an underdog. The kim pump for me projected that they would lose that game. And that's not like, I mean, I don't think that's a crazy thing to put out there. It sounds like it now. But to be able to dominate that SMU team the way that you did, I mean, how can I I can't with a straight face look at the rest of the schedule here and say that every single one of these games are not games that you should win. They are these are games you should win. Doesn't mean it's gonna happen, but it's just it almost doesn't seem real. Like last night seeing rain Smith break taekwon Dean's record ten three point field goals made in a game. I mean unbelievable ten of seventeen from three last night for rain Smith. Taekwondan's record of nine was broken, of course with the ten, and I love that they were out there wanting to break those records, right. I loved that Pat Kelce not only was keeping these guys in to where they could potentially break some records, but they were gunning for it. I mean, it's not something that you know, it doesn't make this team any better, but like what it made me realize is that they understand that breaking that kind of a record at a place like Louisville is a pretty big accomplishment. That's a pretty impressive thing to have on your resume. And by the way, the two guys that had records broken last night just so happened to be two of the best players that have ever played here. So it's Taekwon Dean who had the three point record, and I feel like Taekwon has every three point record threes in a career, three's made in a game, three's made in a season, three is attempted in a career, three is attempted in a season. And in rain Smith, of course, when it comes to career, he's not going to be able to come close to Taekwon because Rain's only here one year. But as far as those records for single season, I mean, I think Rain's coming for him. He already broke the single game record. And what's awesome about rain Smith is that he could go off at any given night and get ten. I mean, it's not crazy.
Speaker 4: Now.
Speaker 3: Expecting that to happen again is not realistic. And I don't anticipate they'll have another game where he makes ten, but like he could make six and it would just be another day at the office for him. And that's such a weapon that you have. The other record that was broke Chucky Hepburn. I mean, I remember thinking to myself, wait a second, Like Louisville, they've not they've not had a bucket, a basket, three point shot, layup, whatever. They have not scored where it wasn't from an assist. And I feel like Chucky has a lot of them. So sure enough, I pull up stat broadcast on my phone while I'm watching the game last night, and he's got eight assists very early in the game, and sure enough, he went to halftime none assists, and I'm thinking to myself, Okay, I mean non assist at halftime's crazy.
Speaker 2: Not assists in.
Speaker 3: A game overall in forty minutes of play is impressive. He had it in about fifteen minutes of action, seemingly, and I'm thinking, okay, can.
Speaker 2: He break this record?
Speaker 3: Like he'll have to play, you know, a lot in the second half, but he probably will, And you know, I wonder, I just I thought to myself, will.
Speaker 2: They even really like chase that? Because it's doable?
Speaker 3: But sixteen assists is a lot, And sure enough, Chucky gets seventeen, breaking Francisco Garcia's record of assists in a single game. So to do that in conference play against a team that, look, even if SMU doesn't end up making the big Dance, I mean, it's not like you did it against Bellerman or a you know, low level three hundred's net ranking team. You did it against an SMU team that was coming off of one hundred point performance against Miami and only had one loss in league play. I can't lie to you and tell you that after last night, I think SMU is good, but who knows, Maybe they are not good, but you know, maybe they are a bubble type team that finds their way in But Louisville was just able to flat out expose them and just you know, beat them that bad. So I just I can't get enough of this Louisville basketball team. And usually when it comes to how we remember teams, like down the line many year, like your legacy as far as teams, it's what you do in the tournament, and that'll never change, and I don't want it to. Like college basketball, it really is stupid if you think about it, not the sport.
Speaker 2: I love the sport, but.
Speaker 3: It's kind of stupid that if you have a phenomenal season, but yet you slip up early in a tournament that has sixty eight teams in the field, Like that's all people really remember. Now, if you make it a point to go back and reflect on a season and think about the good the bad like you remember it, it's not like it gets. It's not like men in Black where they put that thing in front of front of your eyes and zap you and you don't remember anything at all like you remember it. But like the lasting thing that sticks with any team is what they did in the tournament when it came to an end, or maybe you know, whenever they won it all, which of course, has only happened once in my lifetime. So we'll see what this team does. They've unfortunately showed that they can be a good enough team to wear fans. I think now not only expecting them to me may mean they're gonna make the tournament. Like there's no scenario I can see happening where they're not in the tournament, And I really think they've got a good chance to keep winning. And if they keep pounding these teams, they're gonna keep bumping up in the formula, the net, the kin palm and all that, and that of course gives them a better chance to get a good seed. So like, if you're in that position, which is where they're headed, they're probably gonna gonna get a good enough seed to where we're gonna maybe expect and maybe expects the wrong word, because you never know. But like Sweet sixteen, like that's kind of where I'm at right now, and I keep thinking, Okay, pump the brake, snick, what are we doing here?
Speaker 2: This is crazy? This team.
Speaker 3: Just a month ago it looked like they were not gonna be able to make the tournament. It took a Noah Waterman desperation falling over bucket to avoid a disastrous loss to EKU. But man, once she got to January here in twenty twenty five, things have changed, and I'm now gonna only think about this team and the way I've seen them since then, because they've been consistent and they just keep winning, and the likelihood of going undefeated is still just I mean meaning the rest of the way, it still just seems unlikely.
Speaker 2: But I mean maybe it's not.
Speaker 3: I mean the teams that they have played and beat in the last you know, really this month. I mean, take away Syracuse, who's not very good. Take away Virginia, who's not very good. I mean the other teams, Pittsburgh. You know, Carolina lost last night to Wake Forest. But Carolina has talent. I mean, they're always going to be a talented team. And I don't think they're bad. They're certainly not as good as they should be and as good as they typically are. But like they're doing this against teams that again, let me make sure I'm putting this out there the way I want to these teams that I'm just mentioning that Louisvill's knocked off like SMU, Pittsburgh, Clemson. I'm not telling you those teams are elite North Carolina. I mean, I don't think those teams are that good, but I'm just pointing out the fact that those are the best teams that you play in your league, and you've already gotten it out of the way, and I just think to expect them to win every game the rest of the way, although they might slip up, Like, I don't think you're you're out of line to expect that. So again, I'm almost in disbelief, Like I woke up this morning thinking did that really happen last night? I mean, it used to be something that I don't know. Maybe actually let me back up the records being broken, just the amount of the amount of points they scored, the domination that you can see within the stat sheet here or the box score. Like, I think, no matter what Louisville team, it was right, no matter what, no matter who, Like it could be a team that had preseason top ten ranking and was still top ten as of now. I think fans would still be really really excited about what they saw last night. But obviously you factor in that we haven't really had a game like that. I mean, again, two records that you know, if you'd have told me that those records would never be broke in my lifetime, I would have believed you, and both of them were broke last night in the same game. So again, what I was getting to when it comes to like how you remember it as a team, this team, like, I hope that regardless of what happens in the tournament. And this isn't like, hey, we shouldn't embrace expectations. We should just be happy to be there. That's not what I'm saying. But I think fans loved this team, maybe not more than they've loved any other team, but in a way they've never loved any other team, and it's just made it such a special and fun ride. And the only negative thing I'll say here as we wrap up our first segment.
Speaker 2: Is that we got to wait a week. They're off this weekend.
Speaker 3: They don't play again until next Tuesday, which will be an opportunity for them to take out one of the hottest teams in the ACC. I mean, there's still a bubble team that's on the outside looking in. It seems like wake Forest, but they're hot. They've got just one loss in league play. They beat Carolina last night, so they'll be playing Duke on Saturday. I think they're hosting Duke, so who knows. I doubt they beat Duke because I think Duke's playing insanely well right now, but I cannot I mean, I could be wrong. And I know Tuesday night's probably going to be freezing out because it's just been so cold around here lately. Like, I don't know what what the crowd's going to be like, and I'm not gonna get caught up in it one way or the other, because I mean I never do anyway. But I wouldn't be shocked if, like next Tuesday, just because of just the run this team is on, because there's there's you know, there's you're gonna have to wait a week to see him play, Like, I wouldn't be shocked if it's a sneaky, really good crowd, and I hope it is and it should be. And again if people don't go and I'm wrong and it's not a great crowd, whatever, it's not going to keep me from being happy about this team and and and you know, celebrating their success, because I mean, at this point, I have no reason to think they won't continue to be really successful. The rest of the way, and it's just it's awesome. Imagine where we were a year ago. I mean, in fact, I think it is exactly a year ago today. Something happened on this show. I'll tell you what it is on the other side. Also, we will open up the phone lines now if you guys want to give us a call. Mister radio Rick Ryder is with us today. So if you guys want to give us a call, you can. Five seventy nine hundred is the number. You can also text in on the Ellen and Federal Credit Union text line five h two six five three zero seven ninety. A lot to get into today, And I apologize for just, you know, doing nothing but Louisville hoops here in the first twenty minutes. But I think you know, you were probably expecting that right like that. That was probably something you were anticipating. And uh, I mean, I just, I mean, this is obviously what I do for a living, and I'm I'm very blessed to be in this position, and I'm a very very lucky guy. But you know, it is work, but it doesn't feel like it in a major way. I just want to walk up to strangers and talk about Louisville basketball.
Speaker 2: I was at Cracker Barrel this.
Speaker 3: Morning and I just, you know, I'm thinking this, this, this this family walking in. Maybe they just got off the Interstate on sixty five right there at the Brooks exit in Bullock County, and I'm thinking, you know what, they're probably just passing through. I want to go talk to him and sit down and say, hey, do you know have you heard about pack Kelset? What this guy's doing? Took over the job. The team was awful last year, we had the worst coach that ever existed, and now this guy's kicking ass. And they probably would have thought I was a psychopath and one be removed from the restaurant. But that like, I'm a psycho now for Louisville basketball. And it's and it's because I'm happy. It's because this is this is intoxicating. It's not because you know, I'm a lunatic, because I can't believe that that you know, we're terrible, which was which was the case two years straight, three years really if you think about it.
Speaker 2: But not anymore.
Speaker 3: And man, I'm loving every second of it. All right, quick break, don't go anywhere. We'll take you up till six o'clock and also, don't forget you could take us with you wherever you go. Listen live on the iHeart Radio app. Listen live at seven ninety Louisville dot com. It's Coffee and Company Field by Thornton's right here on Sports Talk seven ninety. So it was exactly a year ago today that I had Jeff Goodman college Basketball Insider. I mean, I think that's probably what he goes by his official title, but somebody, I mean, he's got better resources and access to information in college basketball honestly than anybody in my opinion, and he's pretty great at what he does. I understand why certain people don't like him. But Jeff has joined us on the show from time to time over the years. And it was a year ago today I had him on and we were talking about the coaching search, which technically the job was still was still taken by Kenny Payne, but we all knew that there was going to be a change made, and at that time there were a lot of names being discussed. Mick Cronin, I clearly was a big fan of of Jerome Tang, Dusty May. I'm trying to think back to which names we talked about the most. I kind of think those that's it, but I don't really remember. I'm sure I'm missing some that were talked about, and it's just because you at this point, it just seems crazy that you know that Pat Kelsey wasn't a name that we were really talking a lot about. But it was a year ago today when Jeff was on and I asked him, you know, outside of I think I asked him about Chris Beard. That's right, Chris Beard was somebody we talked about because of the uh, because of you know, the situation at Texas is the only reason why he is not still a Texas where you know, he's a guy that the only reason you would even be able to get him is because of what happened. So nonetheless, Goodman ended up recommending Pat Kelsey. And I'm really glad that I didn't, that I didn't laugh at him, but I also, you know, can't deny that I thought it was insane. I mean, I did, I remember kind of like in fact, if my memory is correct, this is how it played out. He mentioned Pat Kelsey, I let him continue to talk, and if I remember correctly, he talked about like all the things about Pat, that that that we're seeing every day now and we're realizing those are big time factors and why this is working, among other things. But like, you know, his energy, his work at that kind of stuff. Like I'm kind of just thinking, Okay, that's great, Like those things are important, but like Louisville needs to get a proven name and a proven winner because we're so bad now we can't take a risk on a guy who's never succeeded at this level. Like that was really my mindset. But sure enough, that's who Louisville ended up hiring. And I'm not sure if Jeff believed that Pat would be in the mix, because there's certain guys that he's that he's close to and I shouldn't say close to, because I don't know how close they are, but he knows Pat. Jeff lived in Charleston for a while when Pat was the coach there, and you know, there's certain guys you can tell that the Jeff has a relationship with to an extent, and Pat was one of them. So I'm not sure if he really believed that he'd be in the mix or not. I for he just wanted to throw him out there because he thought he would be a good fit here and he wanted to, you know, try to maybe just get that out there to where maybe he does get a shot. And Pat was the first coach that Josh heard talked to. I think it took place in DC maybe, and from then there was other conversations, obviously other candidates in the mix, but clearly there was something that Josh Hurd really liked about Pat Kelsey. And kudos to him because I know I've said this before and it's not worth, you know, mentioning over and over, but I'm telling you, if Louisville was in the same position, and I mean the same position, same roster, same record, like the only thing different is it's a different coach doing it, we'd still be happy, we'd still feel really good about where things are going. But I don't think it would be as enjoyable because you know, you can just tell Pat Kelsey is a guy that appreciates being here. And although we feel like anybody should appreciate being here, anybody, players, coaches, they should consider it a privilege every day of their life if they're able to represent this program, because you know, we're fans, we're full of our program.
Speaker 2: Like that that's what we do. We're fanatics.
Speaker 3: But to see it and feel that it is in fact genuine like that just makes it even more enjoyable. And I'm loving every minute of it. All right, it's coffee and company. We are feel about Thornton's here on Sports Talk seven ninety. Appreciate you hanging out with us. If you want to give us a call, you can five oh two five to seven one seventy nine hundred is the number phone lines are open. You can also text in on the Ellen and Federal Credit Union tax line five oh two six five three zero seven ninety one. Thing I did not mention in the first segment, which is just insane to say, but that's kind of what last night was like. Louisville is the only Division One team this century to have a player with ten threes and a player with fifteen or more assists in the same game. The last NBA team to do it was the Warriors, with Klay Thompson making ten three pointers and Steph Curry having fifteen assists on November twenty at the twenty twenty two And by the way, that's not a that's not a state that you really had to dig up something crazy to make it look impressive from a Louisville fan. That is a platform called Opta Stats that has over one hundred thousand followers on social media. So clearly Louisville having a dominant performance last night and the statistical breakdown that they came with it, I mean, it caught a lot of attention. And that's why you know, you can play a team that isn't necessarily great when it comes to I mean, like SMU, let's be real, they're not ranked and they probably have a much tougher time making the tournament after what happened last night. So like I'm not acting like they went out there and did it against you know, some insanely phenomenal team, But when you beat somebody down the way they did, I mean you can climb substantially. Louisville right now after last night, they're up to number let's see, Louisville now is up to number twenty two in the net and they're at twenty three in Ken Palm, so a pretty significant jump. They were right around the top thirty. I think they were twenty nine and thirty yesterday and now they're up to twenty two and number twenty three.
Speaker 2: So if you continue to.
Speaker 3: Win and win big, that's where when it comes to the metrics, Like, it's not just a win in the win column, it's a metric win where you're really going to get some benefit there. And I feel like they're not really trying to run up a score on anybody. But if they continue to win and win big, even if it's a bad team, you know that can help you. Now, I think you also need to keep that in mind as well, because you've got some some wins out there that you know, they're on the border right Like you've got like Florida State right now, Florida State is right around like the top seventy I think or seventy five, and they need to be there.
Speaker 2: They need to stay in the.
Speaker 3: Top seventy five for Louisville to be able to claim that that is a quad one win. Now, what I often wonder is if you've got three quad ones and they're all wins, that like maybe if there's another week in the season, you would have one quad win because they're barely you know, they're right there on the And by the way, quad ones are neutral site wins. Again, Well, I'll start at the beginning it's a home win against a team that's in the top thirty of the net. That's a quad one. A neutral site win against a team that's in the top fifty, that's a quad one. So think the West Virginia game, in the Indiana game in the Bahamas, and then a road win against the top seventy five team that gives you a that's also a quad one win. So right now Louisville has four quad one wins. Their best win I think as of right now, I mean, I mean, what is it. I guess it would be. I mean, their win against Oklahoma is currently Let's see where's Oklahoma at? Because I mean, when I think about the best team they've beat, I don't really know who it is, and I don't really care, to be honest with you. They've played a really tough schedule, and yes, the good teams, the teams that are in a little bit of a different tier compared to you know, the other teams that are qualifying quad win wins. For Louisville, you know, maybe if they played them again, it wouldn't go as well as I think it would.
Speaker 2: But my point is this.
Speaker 3: You need to really try to get value in the games against the bad teams as best you can. And I don't mean make it a quad one and there's no way you can control that, But what I mean is just beat them bad enough to where regardless of where it falls in the quadrant system, it's still going to give you some juice in the net rankings. So again, right now Louisville, so let's see, Florida State is at sixty six, So if they keep it under seven, if they stay within the top seventy five, that'll remain a quad one win. That's one that you really just don't know. Maybe Florida State loses to a couple of teams and it puts them in the eighties. SMU fell from thirty six to forty four last night, so they'd have to fall out of the top seventy five. Because again that's a road game, Carolina, that's no longer a quad one win because they're now sitting at thirty eight after last night Pittsburgh, they're sitting at thirty two. That's a quad one because they'd have to fall out of the top seventy five. And then the Umson game they're at thirty one. So if Clemson can get to thirty and stay within the top thirty, which I think they can. At that point you can claim that that wins a quad one win. So teams that I feel like we probably need to, you know, certain there's nothing you can do about it. You can't control it. But Oklahoma right now is sitting at number forty nine. I don't even know if I don't even know if Oklahoma plays tonight, but if they do and they lose, or maybe even if they win, like they're one or I guess they're two spots away from falling out of the top fifty. So maybe we wake up tomorrow, maybe they don't play tonight. Louislle, of course, has already played this week, then a plaguing until next week. Just because of what other teams are doing, Oklahoma could fall out of the top fifty, which means that's no longer a quad one win. So because these things are, you know, in the balance, like you may end up where a couple of these wins right now that are quad one, maybe they're not that on selection Sunday, And again you can't control that, but you might as well beat down these teams as best you can, especially they're really bad acc teams to where even if your quads don't look great and you don't have as many as others, you're still gonna have a good net and a good kin palm because of how you're playing. In fact, yeah, Oklahoma is Oklahoma's number forty nine, and then Indiana they're sitting at number sixty three, so that's a Quad two. And I don't anticipate that Indiana is going to jump up thirteen spots before the season ends. I could be wrong, and I hope that they do, because again, it could help Louisville. But yeah, right now, as it stands, Louisville has a Let's see, Louisville right now is sitting at four. The other four and five in Quad one games. So every loss they have is against is a Quad one game. So even though some of them were blowout losses, you know, they're not too bad teams. And they have four Quad one wins, which matches the amount they have in any of the quads one through four. So they're four and oh in Quad two, three and oh in Quad three and four and oh in quour So you know, just just comparatively speaking, teams ahead of Louisville, you've got Mississippi State, and you've got Gonzaga. I mean, Louisville has as many quad one wins as Mississippi State. They have two more than what Gonzaga has. And that's one of those things that like, I mean again, Louisville could could easily slip up and not have two of the quad one wins they have right now if teams start, you know, struggling that they've played. But now now now I'm in my own head here because what's happening is I'm thinking, Okay, maybe maybe we are getting a little ahead of ourselves when it comes to like seating, because yeah, they've got quad ones, but you know, not every quad one win is going to be valued the same way. Yes, it falls in the same quadrant system. However, you know, beating a team that is in the top five and beating a team on the road that's in the top seventy five closer to seventy five, like, those aren't.
Speaker 2: The same things. They're just not.
Speaker 3: All right, Let's go to the text line five O two six five three zero ninety. It's the L and N Federal Credit Union text line. Members get more at Ellen and Federal Credit Union Union. You can learn more and open your account at lnfcu dot com.
Speaker 2: This tech says Nick.
Speaker 3: I keep thinking this team is going to hit a wall and come back down to reality. But it's not happened yet, and I have no reason to think that it's going to happen. I really do believe that they will finish the season without another loss. That's something that instincts kicking for me to tell me to have you calm down, pump your brakes. But I'm kind of with you, and it's it's because of both things. One, Louis was playing really basketball right now, and also, I mean, the rest of the schedule is what it is, and there's not a whole lot you know, you can you can do about it. I mean, there's nothing you can do about it, to be honest with you. But I mean, well, I'll save this for later because I don't have enough time left in this segment. But I'll just save it because I've noticed lately, whenever I realize that I don't have like enough time to really get into something the way I want to, I'll give like a brief tease and then it'll turn into where I just actually I just you know, I give you a worse version of the segment than I was, than I was than I was probably gonna do anyway, just because I wrote I'm just trying to speed through it. So anyways, what I want to get to coming up here on the other side will continue to take your calls and take your and retext.
Speaker 2: That come in.
Speaker 3: But I go back to Sunday night, where I was just so so bitter about the Raven's losing and how it happened, and Lamar once again having to have a long off season of hearing that yeah, he's a great regular season quarterback, but man, he's just not the same in the playoffs. Like that was such a painful feeling that I was thinking, Man, I hope Buffalo gets blown out by by Kansas City, which again I talked about this yesterday. I don't that tells you how much I want Lamar to be successful, because the Bills are a really likable team, a likable French I think, and the Chiefs are like the enemies. The Chiefs are like you know, I think everybody, if you don't have a team left and you're not a Chiefs fan, you're probably thinking the rest of the way here. Anybody but Kansas city, and I'm with you. So I'm now all in on the bills for obvious reasons. But there's one reason that I'll tell you about here on the other side that made me even a bigger fan of Buffalo at least you know the rest of the way. They're fan base, man, They're rare, and I mean that in a good way. All right, quick break, don't go anywhere. We'll come back and wrap up the three o'clock hour. We will also start off the four o'clock hour with the one and only Cel Brown of the Courier Journal get his thoughts on this team. Been a while since we talked to cl Obviously, we've had some weird weeks here so far in twenty twenty five with the schedule and with the weather and that kind of stuff. But we're getting back on track bringing in our regular guest and cl will join us at four h five, so stick around again. It's coffee and company. We are fel about Thornton's right here on Sports Talk seven ninety.
Speaker 5: Flex pre I mean at leisure is softness that plays hard from the couch to the gym, to the office and beyond. Flex gives you premium comfort and style, but keeps up with anything without casting everything. Whether you're chasing the ball or chasing the gigs, Life's will workout.
Speaker 2: Flex with it exclusively I Calls.
Speaker 5: Some exclusions apply see store Calls dot com for details.
Speaker 2: Hey you guys.
Speaker 4: I'm Katherine Legg. I'm a racing driver who's literally driven everything with four wheels across the planet, and I've got a new podcast. It's called Throttle Therapy. This season, I'm gearing up to make history competing in some of the world's most notorious racing events. Listen to Throttle Therapy with Katherine Legg on America's number one podcast network, iHeart, Open your free Ieheart app and search Throttle Therapy with Catherin Leg and Start Listening.
Speaker 1: Presented by elf Beauty, founding partner of iHeart Women's Sports The KSUR pre Show with Shannon the Dude and Billy Rutledge Tomorrow morning at nine non Sports Talk seven nine day.
Speaker 2: Sorry, this is Coffee and Company.
Speaker 3: We are wrapping up at three o'clock hour here on Sports Talk seven ninety proudly fueled by Thornton's Make Sure you sign up if you have not yet to become a member of their Refreshing Awards program, you'll save money at the gas pump, and by doing that, stopping in if that becomes your place to go get gas whenever you need to fill up. You'll see they've got a lot of great promotions all over the property, whether it comes to just you know, signs on the facility or at the pump. They've got delicious food, and as you could expect, they're going to promote the heck out of it. So if you're stopping in to get gas, you may think, Okay, I'm gonna go in here and try one of these delicious looking pieces of pizza. And I can tell you they are delicious. They don't just look delicious, they taste delicious. So again, Thornton's we appreciate him, and we're proudly fueled by Thornton's here on Sports Talk seven ninety. All Right, so the Ravens loss on Sunday night, I feel like overall was a collective effort, right. I mean, Lamar had his struggles, and I know acknowledging that even is tough for some Louisville fans, and it's just because you know, we want him to be successful so bad, and he I mean, I feel like I can say it because I'm one of you. Now, maybe you guys don't agree and don't see it the exact same way, but I know I'm not the only one that is in fact triggered. It's hard for people to sometimes admit when they're triggered. I'm triggered by people who try to run with things that I'm not even sure they believe, like that Lamar Jackson is not is not an elite legendary type quarterback because you know of the postseason stuff. Now, I'm not saying he's the best of all time, and I think you do probably have to have some more playoff success to be able to be included in that top tier. But anyways, like I'm triggered by Lamar and and and it's just a it's an unusual feeling as a fan because when it comes to the Ravens, man, I wanted them to win so bad, but only for him, So he was a factor in the struggle. Had he come out and not made some of those mistakes, who knows, maybe things would be different. But in the second half, really they got more comfortable, they settled in, and they had a chance to come to come back, and they did come back, they just you know, couldn't convert on the two point conversion. And Mark Andrews has been a really big target as far as where people are throwing all the blame and I get it. But Lamar Jackson last night, I'll play this for you guys in the in the five o'clock hour. Maybe maybe I'll do before then, but there is there's footage. I think this is from the Hard Knocks special they're doing on on the Division, the on on on the Ravens Division where they they have each week they give updates and follow the Ravens, the Bengals, the Browns and the Steelers, and I think that's where this clip surfaced. But it's it's a you know, being the great leader that he is and letting Mark Andrews know it's all of us, it's not just you know, it's not just one one guy. You know, we lose as a team, and you know, you know, basically trying to pick up his teammate, who knows he just had a drop that unfortunately, he'll probably remember forever. Unfortunately, it'll probably be a big factor when people talk about Mark Andrews for the rest of his career and even after, so just good to see that. But anyways, what I wanted to bring the reason I wanted to bring this up is because the Bills they do something that I don't know and I don't think any other fan base has ever done, at least not the way that they do. But they know how strong they are. They're an army, they are you know, they're they're they're deep. Right, Buffalo is not a huge market when it comes to professional sports here in America, but man, Bill's mafia, they're deep, they're passionate, and they seem like good people. Maybe when you see him, you know, throw in other fans through tables at tailgate spots where they've got you know, feet of snow on the like, maybe you wouldn't assume that those are the best people. But man, they just love their Bills and they have a lot of fun celebrating their Bills. And honestly, they celebrate and party regardless because they've been doing that long before the Bills became a good team. But they also will unite and raise a bunch of money for those in need, like charities, foundations, things like that, and they ended up I guess just because they felt bad for Mark Andrews for you know, having that kind of be the uh you know, I mean clearly that that's the play that people will remember on the Ravens side more than any from that game on Sunday. So I guess they felt bad for him. So what they decided to do was, I guess put the message out. I'm not sure how they communicate with each other other than other than you know, the Internet, but somehow the message got out and enough people stepped in to donate money to a charity that Mark Andrews is connected to and affiliated with. Yeah, this is from Bleacher Report says Bill's Mafia with a classy move. They donated to a charity Mark Andrews supports pushing to find a cure to type one diabetes. So the Bills fans have donated over forty five thousand dollars after his of course big drop in that divisional game. So again, like that's the power of a fan base that is so passionate using that power to do something good. And I remember the first time I think they did it, and maybe they did it before this and I just wasn't aware, but it was Andy Dalton. Andy Dalton ended up with the with the Bengals, of course, I mean they were not in the playoff race if my memory is correct, But if they were able to win, then it would mean the Bills get into the playoffs I think for like a really really long time. I mean, I don't know what the drought was for the Bills, but it was probably a long time. So there was a charity that Andy Dalton was really closely connected with, affiliated with if you will, and the Bills decided to step up and done it a bunch of money, basically thanking him, Hey, we really appreciate you coming through and winning and now we're in the playoffs.
Speaker 2: So here we go.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 2: There's more of this from.
Speaker 3: NFL dot Com says here that the Bill's fan Nicholas Howard kicked off a gofundmet back breakthrough t one D, a global Type one diabetes research organization that Mark Andrews has supported. Quote, as many of you know, Raven the Ravens Titan wasn't able to catch the game time two point conversion and upset Ravens fans. On top of that, the titand has been receiving death threats and nasty comments after his performance last night. We want Bill's Mafia to donate to March charity for Type one diabetes, and as of this morning, it's now above fifty thousand dollars. And Mark Andrews, I'm sure really appreciates that. So good stuff. Now, yeah, to go back, this is when it started, back in twenty eighteen, my memory was correct, it was Andy Dalton. Then I'm reading here again from NFL dot Com and says it's not the first time that the Bills have donated to the cause of a non Buffalo player. Back in January of twenty eighteen, Buffalo fans famously donated to the charity of former Sincenty, being a quarterback Andy Dalton had for his win over Baltimore helped Buffalo make its first playoff appearance in nearly two decades. So again, but Bill's Mafia continuing to show they will, uh, they'll support a good cause, you know, despite probably you know, and it's a passionate thing when it comes to being an NFL fan. I'm sure there's there's a nasty side of Bill's Mafia, for sure, but they also can can do good and you know, like that's just not something you see other fan bases do.
Speaker 2: And it's a good thing.
Speaker 3: Speaking of NFL fans, there is a documentary on Amazon Prime that I watched earlier today when I was on the treadmill. I haven't finished it just yet, but it's about a chief super fan who ended up, you know, being a bank robber and he was doing all this just just to just to fund this lifestyle of being an insanely obsessed Kansas City Chiefs fan who travels the country going to all the games. Well he was he was footing the bill for all those travel expenses by robbing banks and being a degenerate gambler. And it was just a fascinating and very odd look at super fans, like it's probably not worth making a segment or anything like that, but these fans of the Chiefs, there's a lot of them, and they're like they were interviewing the other fans that that were blown away to learn that the one of the one of the biggest fans that actually has a little bit of like fame and notoriety within the Kansas City Chiefs fan fan base, the Chiefs kingdom. Essentially, he was he wasn't who he said he was. He was out here Robin Banks. But you know, they're talking about how you get to that status as being a super fan, and you would think that they're talking about being an NFL All Pro player. Like there's a guy dressed up like an absolute lunatic, like paint in his face, like he's I mean, he's dressed up in in cosplayer, dressed up like he's, you know, being something for Halloween. And he's being interviewed in this documentary and he says, you know, sometimes you know, you can get to your head. You got to you gotta be humble, you gotta you gotta you know, you gotta, you gotta stay true. And I'm like, dude, you're not on the team man, Like I don't know if you are. I don't know if you have the reputation that you think you do. You know, it's one of those things, where are they laughing with you or at you? I mean, again, there are super fans that that you know, dress up and really go above and beyond, and that happens. And I'm not saying we should laugh at them, but to hear these fans act as if they're like as famous as the players, it was wild. But anyways, let's get to a quick break We've got two more hours to go. As we continue to roll along here, Seel Brown of the Courier Journal going to join us. Coming up here on the other side.
Speaker 2: Stick with us. It's coffee and company. Phil about Thornton's on Sports Talk seven ninety