Speaker 1: And now your host for Morongo Casino Dodgers on Deck.
Speaker 2: Ken tam Case, Hi, everybody, and welcome into Morongo Casino Dodgers on denk on this Saturday evening.
Speaker 3: Hope you're well.
Speaker 4: You're Los Angeles Dodgers eighty one and fifty four on this season, first place all alone atop the NL West, best record in baseball. After a series opening win over the Diamondbacks last night, the Dodgers look to do it again tonight. Gavin Stone on the mound from Arizona. First pitch coming up at five to ten. Coming up over the next hour here on Marongo Casino Dodgers on Deck, we got a lot to get to.
Speaker 3: We're gonna hear from the manager himself.
Speaker 4: Dave Roberts gets the very latest on Clayton Kershaw and that toe will dive deeper to this pitchy matchup. Your O, Tawni Rewind is coming up. Your magical moment is coming up. At about thirty minutes. David Vesta will check in with us throughout the show. Shortly we'll hear from Kirsten Watson from Sports and at LA. In just a few minutes, we'll sit it out to the Gallpin Motors Broadcast Booth with Rick.
Speaker 3: Monday and Tim Neverett.
Speaker 4: Well, last night, the Dodgers survived the Snakes as Otani provided the power. The Dodgers and Diamondbacks battling out in the NL West going into this series, the Dodgers had a four game lead with a four game series underway, and these two teams last night, well, they provided a lot of power, combining for nineteen runs and twenty three hits.
Speaker 3: The Dodgers. They scored early and off.
Speaker 4: In first inning, Freddie Freeman a two run home run and the Dodgers jumped out to a two to nothing lead. However, the Snakes tied it with two runs in the bottom of the first off Clayton Kershaw. As The Dodgers then would come back and score three runs in the top of the second to take a five to lead.
Speaker 3: It was back and forth.
Speaker 4: The Snakes would slither their way back into this game, tying it at five in the third inning.
Speaker 3: You knew we were gonna have a high scoring game.
Speaker 4: In the sixth, the game was still tied when the Dodgers caught a break. A wild pitch scored Max Moncie and the Dodgers took the leads six to five. That in the seventh, Dodgers with some breathing room two to on for Will Smith.
Speaker 5: To two, Smith swings hits a drive to left Indeep calling back is Corry, Elly's to the wall.
Speaker 6: It's gone. It's a three run home run to Will Smith. Oh, where there's a Will, there's a wave.
Speaker 5: And Smith hits a three run shot of the Dodgers lead at nine to five.
Speaker 4: Three run home run for Will Smith, huge for a guy who has been struggling at the plate since the All Star Break. His seventeenth home run of this season. Dodgers up nine to five. In the eighth, inity the Dodgers with an insurance run that proved to be big, and it came from the bat of show Hey t.
Speaker 5: Wat stretch of the old two, swung on a hammer left field. This one's deep, this one's heading back toward the wall. It's got a home run number forty three. The first Major leaguer to have forty three home runs forty three stolen bases. He passed us Alex Rodriguez to the forty two to forty two club. Show Hey Oldtani with an opposite field homer and it's ten to.
Speaker 4: Five home run number forty three on this season for show a O. Tawny with the stolen base earlier. He's now a forty three to forty three player, forty three home runs, forty three stolen bases, the only player in the history of the game to reach this accomplishment, and he still got a month of the season to go. Speaking of numbers, the Dodgers bullpen had to get the final twenty four out of the game to pick up Clayton Kershaw, who left the game with a toe injury. Dave Roberts pieced it together to get the win. Dodgers beat the Diamondbacks last night, ten to nine, with the winner now eighty one and fifty four, a five game lead in the division over both the Diamondbacks and the Padres. Tonight, they're back at it, game two of this four game series in the Desert. Gavin Stone on the mound, first pitch, coming up at five to ten, and with more we head out to the Gallpin Motors broadcast booth as we say hello to Rick Monday and Tim Deppritt, guys, Tim.
Speaker 6: Thank you very much.
Speaker 5: Rufe closed again here this evening in Phoenix, Arizona. As the Dodgers and Diamondbacks play game two of this four game Labor Day weekend series. The Dodgers now five games up on both the Diamondbacks and the Padres, entering play tonight, and they'll send Gavin Stone to the mind eleven and five against Merrill Kelly. He is four and oero, but he battled a shoulder problem earlier this year that has limited his innings. And well, first and foremost, what we saw from Shoho Tonty last night, at the eleventh time this year, he has stolen a base and hit a home run in the same game. He is now the first human being ever to have forty three home runts had forty three stolen bases in a single season, and we haven't even reached September.
Speaker 7: No, every time, because of hopefully you start now to grab the record book and see exactly where he's going to be placing in that record book itself. I mean you start to look at August and well, the batting average, the number is not particularly high. How about the fact in the month of August you're about to close it out tonight eleven home runs, fifteen stolen bases, and you start to say, well, has anyone else been able to do that? Well, the last to do that Carlos Beltron. That was in August of two thousand and four. So it's one of those things you start to look at opportunities and when he comes to a home plate, I keeps saying it over and over, nobody leaves their seats, and for very good reason.
Speaker 5: And it turned out that eighth inning home run off of Paul Seawall, that solo shot to the opposite field, turned out to.
Speaker 7: Be the game winning run. Yeah, and who would have fought. And for the Dodgers, they need to tighten the belt. One thing that they were able to do last night was to fill up the box score because the Dodgers used a truckload of relievers and it was Anthony Bond who had to kind of struggle in that night. Then he gave up four runs, gave up a big home run, there was a wild pitch on top of it. But you start to look in particular at Alex Besia an inning and a third. Ifvessie is er, it's one of the top end relievers that just one seventy seven at this particular time. He wasn't the only one. Razor Pischwell, Coropek, Pischwell, Hudson came on. Trinon also did not allow a run either. So this is a ball club one good thing. Yes, the bullpen had to work a lot last night, but they were able to spread the load around a lot of different.
Speaker 5: Arms and they're hoping for a good outing from Gavin Stone, at least a deep one. But as far as the bullpen goes, we do know that Brett Honeywell is back. He is here in uniform and also Ben Casparius called up from Triple A. So roster moves expected tonight for the Dodgers.
Speaker 7: They just need to get some fresh arms in the pen. You had not heard anything officially with the Clayton krus show. Very frustrating last night. Had to leave one inning plus one batter, and we had been told, well, it was painted in the left big toast. More than that, he's got bone spurs and that anyone that's had that understand it's extremely painful and he's not able to push off the left foot or Oh, so that's going to be an update. That's the work in progress. Meanwhile, the Dodgers have to keep plugging along little different lineup tonight at least at the bottom. Kevin Kiermeyer will get the start in playing center field for the rest topp to a bout him pretty much the same. Freddie Freeman, by the way, missed a couple of games because of a very sore fractured middle fingers right hand. All he did last night first to bat returning hit a home run opposite way.
Speaker 5: He's eighteenth of the season, so the Dodgers with three home runs in the game last night. Will Smith's seventh and a three run shot was the one that opened it up for the Dodgers. That was a long time coming for will Smith when he hit his seventeenth of the season. With a win today, the Dodgers will guarantee themselves at least a split of the season series with the Diamondbacks, but as far as the season goes, they guarantee themselves a winning campaign with their eighty second win, and it would be the fourteenth consecutive winning season, which would be a franchise record. So the Dodgers and the Diamondbacks getting ready to go at it in Game two. Gavin Stolen for the Dodgers, Merril Kelly for the Diamondbacks.
Speaker 4: Tim all Right, as we cunt you down to first pitch. Dodger fans, get your game day meal on at Shaky's Pizza Parlor. What are your Shaky's Pizza, Chicken and Mojo's right now at Shaky's dot Com. Coming up here on Dodgers on Dick, you're gonna hear from the manager Dave Roberts. We'll get to the very latest on Clayton Kershaw in the toe. We'll check in with David Veassey throughout the show. Tonight we'll dive deeper into this pitching matchup coming up with Gavin Stone, hopefully giving the Dodgers some length night on the mound. But up next your otani rewind and we'll visit with Kirsten Watson from Sportsnet LA as we lead you up to first pitch. Dodgers and Diamondbacks. First pitch set for five ten. Thanks for being with us.
Speaker 3: I'm Tim Kass, Los Angeles Dodgers Audio nowhere.
Speaker 1: It is Lorono Casino, Dodgers on Dodgers on deck y'all on the official home of LA Dodgers Baseball.
Speaker 4: It's some Dodgers and Diamondbacks on this Saturday nine, Game two of this four game series. Dodgers a five game lead in the division going into play tonight. Gavin Stone on the mound to get the start. First pitch from Feedingx coming up at five ten.
Speaker 1: This is the Otani three wide.
Speaker 5: Here comes the first pitch from Zach Gallen. Swung on an hammer down the right field line. That's gonna bounce him.
Speaker 1: Go to the wall.
Speaker 5: Otani rumbling around first. He'll be in the second with a double, his thirtieth double.
Speaker 6: Of the season. Here comes the two. There goes Otani.
Speaker 5: The pitch bounces, and Otani will have another steal, and is number forty three for Shoe Otani see wald stretch of the O two. Swung on a hammer left field. This one's deep. This one's heading back toward the wall. It's got a home run number forty three. The first major leaguer to have forty three home runs forty three stolen bases. He passes Alex Rodriguez in the forty two to forty two club.
Speaker 4: Joh Hey Otani two for four, a double, a home run, a stolen base. He's now got forty three home runs, forty three stolen bases, the first player in the history of baseball to reach that accomplishment and it's not even September yet that starts tomorrow. He is well on his way to a fifty fifty season. Wow Otani Rewind brought to you by eto N's Oil on Chow, Japan's number one Green Tea and the Tea the showy Otani Loves and drinks available at local Diso stores, Amazon and etoin dot com.
Speaker 3: That's it O e N dot Com.
Speaker 1: This is Kirston's Corner with Kirston Wasson.
Speaker 4: Hey Kirson now joins us from the field in Arizona. Packed house tonight at Chase Field for the Dodgers and Dimebacks game two of this four game series. But the big news Kirston Clayton Kershaw the bone spur in the toe and now he's going.
Speaker 1: On the iol exactly.
Speaker 8: And you know, we saw him come out of the game after facing that first batter, and it was interesting because Steve Roberts got out there so quickly. He knew that something was going on in the training staff. So we found it after the game. He's dealing with bone fers and his last big so it's something that he's been dealing with, I mean for a couple of years now, just here and there though it's still pretty swollen to say. Dave Roberts was saying, so they are placing him on the il and Ben Kasparius is going to be activated. He's been with the team once before, but he wasn't able to make his male gave you at that time. But you look at it kind of the out of the bullpen right now, it does seem like today will be the day that he will be called out of the bullpens to help out Gavin Stone.
Speaker 4: It means, yeah, no doubt we'll hear from Ben coming up in just a little bit. But as you mentioned, he can give him length. This is a guy who started games and can give him however long they need behind Gavin Stone, and that's certainly what this Dodgers' bullpen needs right now. Kurris is brought to you by Cars for Kids. The easiest way to get rid of her old car. Donate today and your car could be picked up tomorrow. It's that easy, donating now at carsfrokids dot org. That's cars with a k Tyler Glass. Now, what's the latest with this elbow and how is he progressing?
Speaker 7: Yeah?
Speaker 8: Well, so we still just on flat ground playing catch. Was able to stretch out a little bit more today and he was saying, what's next for him is going to be just throwing on flat ground, but with a little bit more velocity and a little bit more umph behind it. So once he can get through that, he'll start with his bullpens. He couldn't even know what the exact timeline is just yet, but he is optimistic for a return during the regular season. Dave Roberts was saying that best case scenario he comes back and he can make three starts before the postseason. That's relatively similar to Clayton Kershaw as well. Best get scenario for Clayton this after the fifteen day Il said he can get three starts down before the postseason as well, so with just going back to Kylie Rockmount though for him, he said the elbow tendonitis that pain has decided. It was really due to just how he was rolling into home plate. He's kind of stressing his arm there and so it's now kind of adjustice and mechanical things so that he is more straight on to home plate in a much better phosition. But he finds more success that way. Now getting back to that, that's release some of that pressure. We does feel like he's in a good spot. It's now just about continuing with his build.
Speaker 4: Up Process's hope we can build it up here in September. We flipped the calendar and we get ready for October baseball with hopefully Tyler Glass now healthy and ready to go. Kirsten, we appreciate it. We'll check out with you after the game still to come. Here on Dodgers on Deck, we'll dive deeper into this pitching matchup. David Batsay goes one on one with Ben Casparius, who we alluded to, gets called up from TRIPLEA Oklahoma City, and we expect to see him pitch at.
Speaker 3: Some point tonight.
Speaker 4: Up next, so we'll get you an injury report and we'll hear from the manager himself, Dave Roberts. It's all coming up. As we lead you up to Dodgers and Diamondbacks first pitch at five ten. I'm Tim Katson. This is Los Angeles Dodgers Audio Network.
Speaker 1: Well, this is Marongo Casino Dodgers Hunters on your home for La Dodgers Baseball.
Speaker 4: Marongo Casino Dodgers on Deck continues on this Saturday night. Marongo Casino and Spy Grand Slam four Good Times Dodgers Diamondbags, Game two of this four game set.
Speaker 3: First pitch coming up at five ten.
Speaker 1: It's the LA Dodgers Injury Report.
Speaker 4: Presented by UCLA Healthy, official medical partner of the Los Angeles Dodgers.
Speaker 3: It's official.
Speaker 4: Clayton Kershaw on the injured list with the bone spur in his left big toe. Ben Casparius gets called up from TRIPLEA Oklahoma's City. Freddie Freeman playing through that fractured middle finger.
Speaker 3: He is a trooper.
Speaker 4: Tyler Glasnow on the iel at the right elbow ten to nine is he is working his way back. We heard from Kirston on that just a few minutes ago. Bruce Dark radol More on his right hamstring strain and his progression coming up with David vass in just a couple of minutes. Yoshinoba Yamamoto on the iel at the strained rotator cuff. He is on another minor league rehab assignment coming up in just a couple of days in Oklahoma City. But let's find out more as we head back to Arizona and check out the Dodgers Skipper anything.
Speaker 6: Dave, do you think questions for Dave.
Speaker 1: Dave, can you just describe Dave?
Speaker 3: Can you talk about the pressure in the.
Speaker 1: Dugout with Dave Roberts, Phillips will be up to night.
Speaker 7: Is anybody else like for sure.
Speaker 3: Up or is it kind of dependent?
Speaker 9: Yeah? All those guys a week down and you know, even for Evan is still three out of four, so you know, I'm not even certain of that one. But we'll see how he is a cash play.
Speaker 1: It's not the first time Gavin Stone has been in a situation like this and where he's been asked to go deep?
Speaker 8: How have you seen him handle this? Though in his young career.
Speaker 10: With with.
Speaker 9: You know, glowing results. He's a smart young man. We've he's been a stopper for us at times. He's given us, given us length when we've needed it numerous times to your point, and we're here again. So so yeah, I mean I expect him to go deep in the game, whatever that means. Uh, put us in a chance in a position to win the baseball game.
Speaker 4: All right, there's Dave Roberts down the dug guy with the very latest brought to you by Service Titan. Dave Roberts, this is a Titan in his own right, and he's got a plan before his team hits the field. You need one for your growing contracting business too. Let's Service Titan help you implement it. Learn more at service Titan dot com. Coming up here on Dodgers on Deck, we'll hear from Bencusparius, Dodger rookie who's gonna make his debut tonight. At some point we'll check it with David Vasse though when we come back. As we lead you up to first pitch, Dodgers and Diabacks, I'm Tim Katson.
Speaker 3: This is the Los Angeles Dodgers Audio Network.
Speaker 1: This is Marongo Casino, Dodgers on Tech on your home for the Blue all season long.
Speaker 4: It's the Dodgers and Diamondbacks on this Saturday night. Gavin Stone and Merrill Kelly the pitching matchup Game two of this four game series. First pitch from Phoenix, coming up at five to ten. The umpiring crew for tonight's game, brought to you by Fred Loyer Insurance, celebrating fifty years of providing reliable and affordable car insurance for you and your family.
Speaker 1: Joining Tim Kats on Dodgers on Deck, I accept everybody for who they are. This is Dodger insider David Basse.
Speaker 4: All Right, DV A lot of talk about Dodgers pitchers and injuries lately, Bruce dark Routerol though they can use another arm in the bullpen.
Speaker 3: What's the latest on the Bozuka.
Speaker 6: Yeah, it was great to see him make the trip out here to Arizona. He threw a simulated game out here at Chase Field and all went well, and he will be headed out for a rehabit simon in Oklahoma City on Monday while the Dodgers are closing out this series in the desert. And remember he was helped off the field after his first nine pitches of the season, where the Dodgers and Grado thought his season was over. After that game, they called it a Grade three right hand string strain, and then twenty four hours later they downgraded it to a Grade one. And look, there's a lot of different levels of pain tolerance from a lot of different people, and certainly the Dodgers and Graderol are relieved that it was only a Grade one ham string strain. And when the Dodgers were in Los Angeles tim before they left for this road trip, it feels like one of the biggest boxes was checked as graderol was participating in pitchers fielding practice, and he reported no pain and no restrictions in that right ham string strain. So because he's a reliever, he won't need that much of a rehab stint. And it's very conceivable the Dodgers could have the Bazooka back when they returned to Dodgers Stadium next Friday.
Speaker 3: They could definitely use some help in the bullpen, David.
Speaker 4: Yesterday, seven different relievers came through that gate to help out to get twenty four of the out's been Clayton Kershaw went down, Joe Kelly threw the most pitches he has in years forty six and in inning and two thirds. With that being said, which relievers can be available tonight?
Speaker 6: Well, if you look back at that game last night, Jujuenio Suarez, who it hit a big three run home run in the ninth inning to make it interesting, had one of the worst at bats of the game in the fifth inning. He did Ryan Brazier and the Dodgers a huge favor by swinging at the first pitch in that inning and also grounding into a double play. All in all, Brazier only threw seven pitches, so Dave Roberts had two choices, bring Brazier out for the sixth inning or save him for today. He opted to bring in Michael Kopek last night in the sixth inning, so Brazier is available. I would imagine Copek is available. And the Dodgers did not use Evan Phillips, and that also adds to the reinforcements they brought back today.
Speaker 4: David is driven by Ford. If there's one thing we all like, it's choices. Find yours. With the four f one to fifty gas hybrid all electric tough, this mark can only be called f one fifty Tomorrow. We flipped the calendar to September, David, and that means the Rosters can expand a little bit, right.
Speaker 6: Right, And the Dodgers have not called up a starter for tomorrow's game. It's still TBD, So that means that the Dodgers have the luxury of calling up a starter for tomorrow, whether it be Landon Knack or Justin Robleski, to start that game tomorrow and not having to make a corresponding move. And from there then they could assess where Clayton Kershaw is, where Bobby Miller's left knee is before deciding whether or not they want to call up another reliever to be their twenty seventh man or twenty eighth man on the roster. And also the Dodgers can call up a position player, and right now all indications are it will be Andy pa Has But that doesn't mean the Dodgers have ruled out the possibility of calling up Dalton Rushing, who was promoted a few weeks ago from Tulsa to Triple A and he has been crushing it there. The Dodgers are considering later this month to call up Rushing to possibly be a power left handed bat on their bench and maybe even make some spots start. So we'll see how the rest of this month plays out or the rest of September plays out. But those that are clamoring for Dalton Rushing, just because he's not called up on the first day of expanded rosters doesn't mean the Dodgers are ruling that possibility out.
Speaker 4: Dave real quick, when we spoke yesterday here on Dodgers on Deck, you said you had talked to some former Dodger coaches and they all said this Dodger team needs to have a little bit more moxie maybe out there down the stretcher, especially in this series against the Diamondbacks.
Speaker 3: Did you see that last night?
Speaker 6: Yeah, I think we saw that, and I think I saw that during batting practice as well, from Key k Hernandez, Chris Taylor and Max Munsey, who have been through this many times before and certainly understand the type of attitude you have to have in this series against the team that is still very hungry despite being the defending National League champion, the Arizona Diamondbacks. So the Dodgers have to find that hunger as well. It's not going to be handed to them. And certainly last night was I don't know how you would say passing a test, but certainly it was a nice thing to see the Dodgers offense put up ten runs and their bullpen doing what they did in a very unforeseen type of game with Kershaw going out after Corb and Carroll's home run in the first second inning.
Speaker 3: All right, they appreciate. We'll check back in with you in just a little bit.
Speaker 4: Appreciated, Dodger fans and hands you're listening and experienced by downloading the iHeartRadio app and listening in HD It's all power by La Care Else plans serving all Angelinos La Care dot Org. Coming up here on Dodgers on Deck, will dive deeper to this pitching matchup of next to your Dodgers Magical moment. Don't go anywhere. Dodgers Diamondbacks. First pitch of five to ten. I'm Tim Katson. This is Los Angeles Dodgers audio note.
Speaker 1: As we were saying yes is Marongo Casino Dodgers on Deck on the official home of La Dodgers Baseball.
Speaker 4: It's the Dodgers and Diamondbacks on the Saturday nights. Kevin Stone and Merrill Kelly. The pitching matchup a thriller last night in the series opener, Dodgers outlasting the Snakes ten to nine, a game in which the Dodgers' bullpen had to come in and get twenty four outs after Clayton Kershaw left the game with the bone spur in his toe. First pitch tonight, coming up at five ten, I do not.
Speaker 6: About without a hot dog? Who wants a hot dog?
Speaker 1: It's time for the Haffe magical moment. It's magical Magic present by howby hot Dogs.
Speaker 4: We go back to July tenth, twenty twenty one Dodgers and Diamondbacks of Dodgers Stadium, a night in which the Dodgers offense set a record against the Snakes, and who holds where.
Speaker 6: It goes, it will land eventually. It's just a matter of when and how far.
Speaker 5: A two run shot for pool Holds his second home run of the night.
Speaker 1: What is beyond a laugher? Whatever it is, this is.
Speaker 4: It Albert Poolhol's career home run number six seventy five. He hit two in the game that night. Justin Turner had a grand slam in the second Inny, mookie bets went deep, and all the Dodgers hit eight home runs in a twenty two to one win over the Diamondbacks, setting a Dodger Stadium record for run scored in a game. This Hofey Magical moment brought to by Hofey hot Dogs, a so Cal treasure for over one hundred years. Visit hofeybrand dot com to find out where you can purchase Cravelicious Hoffey hot Dogs. We continue here on Dodgers on Deck. We will check back game with Rick Monday. As we're leading up to first pitch from Chase Field in Arizona. Dodgers and Diamondbacks. I'm Tim Kats.
Speaker 3: This is Los Angeles Dodgers Audio Network.
Speaker 1: It is Lorono Casino, Dodgers on, Dodgers on deck y'all on the official home of LA Dodgers Baseball.
Speaker 4: It's the Dodgers and Diamondbacks from Arizona. Gavin Stone, Merrill Kelly. The pitching matchup in Game two of this four game series. First pitch coming up at five ten. Dodger fans. Start your future at California Community College. Financial aids available to help you with tuition, books, and sometimes even the rent.
Speaker 3: It's time to take that next big step.
Speaker 4: Classes can fill it quickly, so enroll today and I can go to college dot com and now.
Speaker 1: Joined by David Bassey. Here's LA Dodgers broadcaster there and World Series champion Dodger Rick Monday.
Speaker 6: Rick a wild game to start off this four game series. But the Dodgers certainly put a lot of pressure on the Diamondbacks.
Speaker 7: I tell you, I thought they were going to call the press box to see if you were available to.
Speaker 6: Pitch last night, and it was going that way.
Speaker 7: Well, you know, it's one of those areas you start to look at, you know, the Dodgers against the Arizona Diamondbacks. Diamondbacks are you know, they're swimming to trying to get the life ring and for the Dodgers, trying to continue to move on best record at baseball now eighty one victories in this Dodger bunk club, five game lead in front of both Arizona and San Diego as they as they woke up this morning. So I not what's going to happen. And there with Gavin Stone on the mountain, he's been just an amazing story for this Dodger BA club this year. When you begin to look, he leads all Dodger pitchers and starts tonight's number twenty five he's had this.
Speaker 6: Year, starts, innings, wins. Where would the Dodgers be without him? Who wasn't even supposed to make the opening day roster exactly?
Speaker 7: And yet I read an article that was written today. Is it someone analyzing the top ten pitchers right now in the National League with that Cy Young Award? You know, in that conversation and a big start to look at it, who would imagine spring training of being eleven and five hit that one rocky spot in the road. And we'll talk about it more during the broadcast. But you know, the last three starts he's been sensational. Should have had a victory his last outing he went seven innings, but the ball club won, but he was taken out of the game and then they scored. But he's been a breath of fresh air.
Speaker 6: Will Smith. We had a Will Smith sighting last night, a big three year on home run. Did you see a big difference with being able to get to pitches in the strike zone.
Speaker 7: Here's what I saw. I saw Will Smith exhale. And I say that because it has been the struggle I mentioned during the ballgame. And here's the updated numbers. You begin to look at Will Smith the last thirty four games now including last night, he's hitting just below one seventy. So it's been a long stretch. But I say he exhaled because that could be really a big boost. And I think, seriously, is that sometimes it's one game, maybe even one swing that also turns around the confidence level that you have. And hopefully that's going to be the case.
Speaker 6: He's back behind the plate tonight for Gavin Stone. And you know, with Gavin Stone, he doesn't have the same type of fire throwing abilities as other pitchers. Rick but he gets it done. And on this date in baseball history, you were very familiar and you wanted to introduce me to a pitcher that threw.
Speaker 7: Very hard on this date nineteen fifty seven. But the bald war Oriels are going to a left tender. He stood five eleven Steve Dalkowski, Well, he struck out twenty four players, that's the good news in one game. In one game, he also walked eighteen and hit four batters.
Speaker 6: Wait a minute, let twenty four strikeouts eighteen walks in one game.
Speaker 7: Yeah, so anyway, that was the story. Now, Steve Belkowski threw very hard. Most people say he threw one hundred miles an hour. Someone said he could have been up to maybe one hundred and ten. It was amazing. I actually faced him right after I signed out of Arizona State in the Northwest League. Here's this guy. They told me about him. They said, stay loose at home plate. So the first pitch that he's going to make in the bottom of the first inning, because we were playing in Lewis to idhoo at the time, he threw it over the hitter, which was me, over the catcher, over the umpire, and over the backstop and out of the ballpark. It was not that big of a stadium anyway. So he gets out of the ball game and he was staying at the Lewis and Clark hotel that night and all the furniture in his room went out the window.
Speaker 6: Rick, So, can you just give us a sense of you being in the batter's box against the pitcher like that that's throwing upwards of one hundred miles an hour. Did you feel like Larry Walker against Randy Johnson?
Speaker 7: Yeah? Had you heard the term jelly lake? Yes, well that was about it. And then it was like oops. I mean you're standing there and you see the ball that's thrown not only your head, it's thrown over the backstop and even over the press box area. That was the first pitch. Talk about an eye opener. In fact, he would not he did not even go to the opposite side of the field to warm up. The bullpen for our team at the time was directly outside the locker room, and that's where our guy, Bob Colligan, left hander out of New Orleans area, went to warm up. Velkowski was already warming up on our bullpen. He goes, no, I'm not walking all the way over there to the other side of the warm up. You warmed up right there.
Speaker 6: Well okay, well okay, interesting character. Yeah, I'm glad you survived.
Speaker 7: We're a helmet.
Speaker 6: Thanks. Rick. We'll check back in with you and Tim Nevert a little bit. For now, we will send it back to the studio, all right.
Speaker 7: Thank you.
Speaker 4: DV Dodgers Baseball is brought to you by Speedy Cash, official sponsor of every LA Weekend. Find out more. It's Speedy Cash dot Commerce stoping in LA area. Speedy Cash Store. Still did come here on Dodgers on Deck. We'll get you a preview of this pitching matchup.
Speaker 7: Rick.
Speaker 4: We'll be back with Tim Neverertt right before first pitch and get you the keys to the game. But up next we go high and tight with David Vasse Dodgers Diamondbacks from Chase Field in Arizona.
Speaker 3: I'm Tim Katson. This is Los Angeles Dodgers Audio Network.
Speaker 1: This is Morongo Casino Dodgers Hunt game on your home for LA Dodgers Baseball.
Speaker 4: It's the Dodgers and Diamondbacks from a sold out Chase Field.
Speaker 3: Gavin Stone, Merrill Kelly.
Speaker 4: The pitching matchup first pitch coming up at five ten Dodger fans and handred listening experience by downloading the iHeartRadio app in listening in HD. It's all powered by la Care Health Plan serving all Angelinos lacare dot org.
Speaker 1: And now what will likely be vast a fielding insults from a Dodger player.
Speaker 3: It's an engagement of endearment.
Speaker 1: This is high and tight.
Speaker 6: Well, the Dodgers need reinforcements, and I'm with one of them today and that's Dodger top pitching prospect or one of their top pitching prospects, Ben Casparius. Ben, thanks a lot for the time and great to introduce you to Dodger fans.
Speaker 10: Absolutely, thanks for having me.
Speaker 6: It's good to be here. Obviously, last night went sideways on the Dodgers with Kershaw coming out of the game and having you use seven different relievers. When did you get the call, Hey, we kind of need some reinforcements today.
Speaker 10: Yeah, but I got the call late last night. I was notified a little bit earlier in the clubhouse after our game. It ended just to you know, be understandby, have my phone on me and just wait and kind of hear what was going.
Speaker 6: On where was Oklahoma City. Where did Bankaspirius come in from? Yep?
Speaker 10: So we were in Round Rock, Texas, playing the Rangers' Triple A affiliate for the week.
Speaker 6: So I hope at the very least you got Group A on Southwest. I did.
Speaker 10: I did, so's I can't complain about that.
Speaker 6: So, yeah, how anxious are you to get into a game? Because the Dodgers called you up in a similar situation, they did not use you. But how anxious are you now that you're here to be used in a game? Yeah?
Speaker 10: I mean, I think I give a little bit of relief to the bullpen in kind of an extended bullpen roll. So I mean, whenever that time comes to and I hear my name call, that's going to be a really exciting time.
Speaker 6: Obviously, the Dodgers have tapped into their young pitching talent the last couple of years. What's it like to be that guy at this moment to be called upon?
Speaker 10: Yeah, I mean, I think it's, you know, one of the biggest compliments in the world, especially doing it with the Dodgers, and you know how much how much star power they have, the way that they're able to develop pitchers throughout the minor league, So it means a lot to me and it's great to be here.
Speaker 6: Ben Casparrius is our guest as the Dodgers and Diamondbacks are getting set for Game two of this four game series. The last couple of years, I mentioned some of the young pitching that the Dodgers have called up for their major league debuts. Emma she and Gavin Stone are a couple of names that come to mind, as well as Land and Knack that not only have started, but also I've been very good at being coming out of the bullpen. Are you one of those guys too that can do any one of these type of rules? Yeah? I think so.
Speaker 10: I think that's a big reason why I'm standing here today, is just being able to be versatile, give a different look, whether it's later in a game, whether it's you know, second or third inning, or starting a game. I think I'm able to, you know, just be able to handle those different roles coming out of the pen or starting a game.
Speaker 6: Is that the new norm, Ben, where guys have to be able to be more versatile than say twenty years ago, where you are just a starter and cannot change your routine.
Speaker 10: I think with the amount of injuries across the league wide, and just kind of being able to manipulate the roster of the way teams are now. I think it gives guys a better chance to crack the big leagues and just show that you can, you know, handle a different workload if it's thrown at you and kind of just go about your day the same way, whether it's as a start or if it's in the bullpen.
Speaker 6: How many times have you done this where you started? Obviously you're a starting pitcher, but how many times have you come out of the bullpen in a situation that you may be used tonight?
Speaker 9: Yep?
Speaker 10: Well this year once, Okay, I was lucky enough to be in there, was on a fall league last year where I solely did that, So I think part of the reason was to manage workload, but I think a big part of it too was just to pitch late into the year, into November, come out of the bullpen in a new role and get used to that. And then I did it a little bit last year in Double A also when I got it initially promoted.
Speaker 6: You've had a great season and obviously I've earned this op opportunity. How would you describe this season and you coming of age.
Speaker 10: Yeah, I think for me, it was always just trusting my stuff, staying in the zone with my fastball, expects swings every pitch, and really just the biggest part of it is just keeping myself healthy and staying on a good routine for you know, the entirety of the year.
Speaker 6: Is that the biggest thing for pitchers? Maybe we're getting back to that where you have to establish your fastball command.
Speaker 10: Yeah, I believe so. I think I think there's only really a few guys who are you know, ninety or eighty percent breaking ball. So I think fastball command, for at least for me, is key. And you know, I think I'm going to miss more bats the more my fastballs in this zone.
Speaker 6: I'm not sure if you do this or whether or not it's emphasized in the minor leagues, but I've heard great catchers and great pitchers talk about establishing the down in a way fastball to right handed hitters. Is that something that is emphasized or in your bullpen sessions. Is that something that you focus on.
Speaker 10: Yeah, I think for me, it's you know, covering the up quadrant with my fastball with when I'm ahead in the count if I want to steal a strike, it's down in a way, and I think my slider will play better off fastballs that are kind of executed down in a way to right e's and down in the way to lefties.
Speaker 6: Before I let you go, how will you get ready for whatever is called upon tonight?
Speaker 10: I think just sticking to my routine. You know, it's just another game, it's another day. I think, convincing myself that it's going to kind of like ease my nerves a little bit and just you know, go out there and have fun because.
Speaker 6: You only get to debut once, so no doubt. We're looking forward to it. Ben, Whenever that phone rings, we're looking forward to seeing Bank Caspirius. Thanks a lot for the time, appreciate it.
Speaker 1: Thank you.
Speaker 6: There he is Bank Caspirius with the Dodgers after a world win of the last twenty four hours. We'll send it back to you in the studio.
Speaker 3: Tim, all right, thank you very much.
Speaker 7: DV.
Speaker 4: Dodgers Baseball is brought to you by our friends in Shaky's Pizza Parlor, the official pizza partner of the Dodgers Audio Broadcast. When it's game night, it's group night, it's shakys dot Com. As we lead you up to first bitch from Arizona. It's the Dodgers in I'm in Backs, Dodgers a five game lead in the division going into tonight. First pitch at five ten coming up. We'll break down this pitching matchup. Don't go anywhere.
Speaker 3: I'm Tim Kate and this is Los Angeles Dodgers Audio A Network.
Speaker 1: This is Marongo Casino Dodgers on tack on your home for the Blue All season law hits the.
Speaker 4: Dodgers and the Diamondbacks on this Saturday night, Game two of this four game set. The Dodgers making another roster move in just the last few minutes here, Joe Kelly placed on the injured list with right shoulder inflammation. Brent Honeywell Junior has been activated and called up from Triple A Oklahoma City. So some reinforcements continue in the bullpen with Ben Casparraus you just heard from available as well. First pitch from the Desert coming up at five tens.
Speaker 1: And now before the Dodgers hit the dining we look at the pitching.
Speaker 4: Matchup presented by your Southern California Toyota Dealers. Turn your trail dominating off roading dreams into a reality in an all new twenty twenty four Tacomas here Toyota. Today, they make it easy. Merril Kelly on the mound, thirty five year old veteran right hander four to.
Speaker 3: Oh the three ninety eight ERA.
Speaker 4: He is making just his eight start of the season after missing four months with his shoulder strain. Last time out six innings, four run, seven hits, five strikeouts on a win over the Red Sox. Making his eighteenth start against the Dodgers. He faced them last game one of the NLDS last year. Gavin Stone on the mound for the Dodgers eleven and five three thirty three ERA, twenty five year old right heitter making his twenty fifth start, six start here in August, where he's two and one with the three twenty five ERA, facing the Diamondbacks for the third time in his career. The Zenchy Suit Sweet Life Challenges coming up on Monday, right here on Dodgers on Deck. It'll be your chance Dodger fans to win tickets to the am five seventy LA sports suits, all presented by Zench hand crafted sushi made fresh daily on site pick up delicious sushi before the game. Find Zen Sheet Sushi at your local supermarket.
Speaker 3: Near the deli counter. Dodgers Diamondbacks were fifteen minutes away for first pitch. Keys of the game are next. I'm Tim Katson's Los Angeles Dodgers Audio.
Speaker 1: As we were saying yes, is Marongo Casino Dodgers on deck on the official home of La Dodgers Baseball.
Speaker 4: It's the Dodgers and the Diamondbacks on this Saturday night. Gavin Stone, Merrill Kelly, the pitching matchup. First pitch coming up at five ten. Dodgers fans and hands you're listening experience and download the iHeartRadio app and listen to Dodger games and HD. It's all powered by our friends at Lacare Health Plan serving all Angelinos Lacare dot org. All right, let's head back out to the booth one final time before first pitch. Rick Monday, Tim Neffert, guys, sim thanks again.
Speaker 5: We're counting you down to the first pitch. Here at Chase Field, roof is closed. It is very pleasant inside. Here is Gavin Stone gets set to make the start for the Dodgers. Stone eleven and five. His changeup has been elite and that's probably part of the reason he's got reverse splits. When you look at his splits, right handed batters hitting two seventy four against them, lefties only two thirteen. And there's a bunch of lefties in the lineup against him today.
Speaker 7: Let's put it in perspective very quickly. Gavin Stone is going to make a Dodger high twenty fifth start. That's the leader in number of starts. Who would have predicted that in spring trending with the Dodgers were here in Arizona. So no decision last time out, in spite of the fact he went seven innings, allowed just one earned run, only three hits over those seven frames.
Speaker 5: So Stone going against Merrill Kelly. Kelly had a shoulder strain, missed a bunch of time, but in the three starts since coming off the il, he's two and zero.
Speaker 7: Yeah, they're one of the things that did the Kelly do. He's going to give you different eye angles as far as what the hitter is going to be looking at. The Other part, too, is the walk ratio for Merra Kelly always struck out thirty two, but he's also a walk thirteen limited action just barely above forty innings thus far.
Speaker 5: A capacity crowd at Chase Field for Game two the Dodgers and the Diamondbacks timp.
Speaker 4: It's gonna be a good one. Game two in this four game series, isn't. After the wards, David Vassie has got you covered with all the highlights and postgame reaction. Dodgers Diamondbacks necks and enjoy it. I'm Tim Katz's been Wrongo Casino. Dodgers on Deck on the Los Angeles Dodgers Audio Network