Speaker 1: Hey, this is Michael Brustin, a keyboardist and fearner, and you are listening to a Doctor Sky Experience on Talk Radio seventy seven.
Speaker 2: WABC, and welcome, ladies and gentlemen to the Doctor Sky Experience, heard exclusively here on Talk Radio seventy seven dule ABC, as we like to say, the crown jewel of radio, the iconic seventy seven talk radio station, eaming out of the New York around the nation, around the world, and I'm sure out into the cosmos. If you're a newcomer to the Doctor Sky Experience. Great interviews from the realms of astronomy, space, aviation, and weather and celebrity gain to the mix and ladies and gentlemen. Today, without further ado, we are going to introduce one of the great band members of one of the most iconic rock bands in history, Foreigner, and just a few moments we'll be introducing the keyboardist, Michael Bluestein, who's going to tell us a little bit more not only about the band, but more importantly about the farewell tour twenty twenty three that he's involved in with this iconic band, a real classic here in America, but a little background on Our Special Guests Byba Bluestein began piano studies at age nine. Growing up, he was exposed to a wide range of artists, including Stevie Wonder, Paul Simon, Boston, Mozart, The Who, and jazz pianist.
Speaker 1: The Onliest Moment.
Speaker 2: After studying at Berkeley College of Music, Michael made his way up to Los Angeles, where he played with Stevie Nicks, b. K Anglethias an Astussian, and with the house band of Jimmy Kimmel Live. Michael describes the experiences playing Oh the classic Parigner songs as quote, truly surreal. I grew up hearing and loving all these songs. I've ever dreamed that I would have the chance to be in the band playing with them. The energy on stage is amazing and I love looking out and seeing everyone singing along with every word. End quote. With that, let's welcome the keyboards from this iconic band, follow the Michael blue Seen Welcome to the show. Thank you, Hey, hey Dad, great to be here. Hey, thank you so much, my friend. You know the tour, let's talk about it, historic farewell tour. It's twenty twenty three and beyond. Sorry to to report those words. But this band is what about fifty watch fifty years old? Is that correct? In my recollection? Well, I formed it.
Speaker 1: You know, kind of towards the end of seventy six, and the first single feels like the first time came out in seventy seven and the rest of history as they say. But so yeah, not quite fifty, but kind of approaching rapidly approaching that fifty year mark.
Speaker 2: Totally incredible, Nick Jones, Ian McDonald of King Crimson lou Graham Foreigner And you know, it's interesting the namesake. I'm reading this, I need little bit of help from you, Michael, that the name foreigner is simply the fact that they had a bunch of foreign guys playing in the band. And is that simply how the name foreigner came about? I mean it seems pretty obvious.
Speaker 1: Well yeah, I mean that that is for one, one angle on it. I mean, it was kind of half and half English guys and American guys, and they came up with this that that this concept that no matter anywhere wherever they were going in the world, one of them would be a foreigners based on the different the different book, you know, not nationality.
Speaker 2: Is there, just to remind everybody listening to the Doctor Sky experience. Here, I'm the powerful talk radio seventy Southern w ABC, beaming out of the United States, the nation, the world, and Michael, I'm sure even out into the cosmos. Today we're talking with the keyboardist, Michael Lustein, one of the members of this iconic band as we keep talking about here, and rightfully so, they've earned their right, ladies and gentlemen, to play music, playing at loud and crowd. Over what eighty million records sold worldwide and over thirty seven million records sold in the United States, that is no easy thing to do. Talk a little bit more about the great history of this band and what does it mean to you to be part of it. It's such a high honor.
Speaker 1: Well, I mean, I think that you know, it's sort of the whole thing was born at a real classic time in rock and roll late seventies or just so many American, so many great artists, you know, American British that were exploding on the scene. And you know, that sort of era of music is just such a big part of the culture. And you know, whether you're talking about you know, Boston or Journey or Foreign Rio or Styx, all these great anthemic songs everyone remembers from, you know, their high school years, college years.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 1: In my case, I was eight years old and feels like the first time came out. I was born in sixteen years old, so you know, I was a kid hearing these songs and just loved them. And you know, Lou Graham's voice was just always this powerful, spine tangling, goosebump inducing, you know, vocal performances on these tunes. So it definitely made an impression on me. And I have lots of memories as a kid listening to all these all the tunes, Double Vision, Head Games, cold As, I feel like the first time jud Bucks, Hero Urgent, you know, waiting for a girl like you. You know, all these tunes just really everybody knows them, you know, especially if you grew up around that time, but not not only if you grew up around that time. I mean, you know, we're seeing the kids and the grandkids of these people out there that now you know, they grew up then that we're in high school then, and it's pretty awesome how it's survived, and you know through the generations. Here you know, and people are still loving these tunes and they're still relevant. They're still part of the fabric of the American experience, the European experience, you know, when of course, you know, I want to know what love is that I didn't even mention which was the biggest hit of all amazing that was a worldwide hit. So you know that no matter where you go, everyone knows that prom So yeah, it's pretty incredible to be a part of this legacy, this repertoire of songs. You know, it's a pretty insane catalog. That's just you know, I think it's it's classic in every sense.
Speaker 2: Well, Michael, in case people out there listening have never been to a live concert as foreigner, you have some make great opportunities here as you talk about the historics farewell to or twenty twenty three, twenty twenty four, those at the home here in Arizona. You're coming to the auctionen pavilion here. This is coming someday to the August at twenty at seven pm. It's your tickets, of course, where the tickets are sold all over the place, and that should be an outstanding concert when also on stage as what we have Loverboys, Is that correct.
Speaker 1: That's right, Lover Boys. It's been really a great, a fitting double bill. We love those guys. They of course have some really memorable, huge smash hit songs as well, and we've just really enjoyed getting to hear their set and getting to hang with them backstage, and it's just it's just had a really great vibe all around musically and personally. So I think you'll be fine that it just the pairing of those two bands of Lover Blayne Foreigner, we just feel is really working. And wow, it just gets it gets fans really pumped up by the time we get on stage.
Speaker 2: Sure it does, you know. I remember, going back, Michael, a few years ago, we were listening to the band play live, of course, out in the most amazing epitheater Talking Stick here in Arizona, and boy, there wasn't an empty seat in the crowd. I mean, people were jumping up, moving to the music, you know, going with lip syncing and singing the songs. Even more than lip syncing, they were doing the own things.
Speaker 3: Three.
Speaker 4: For more than four decades, our next guests have been singing the soundtrack of our lives. They first wore up onto the scene, and the seventies were chart topping hits like Feels Like the First Time and Cold as Ice.
Speaker 5: There currently on their global farewell tour and joining us with a very special performance, Please welcome one of the most popular rock bands in all time, Warner. Yes, what a trick for us treating I mean, you guys have decided this is your last final tour. What's it like saying goodbye?
Speaker 3: It's it's it's mixed, you know if this is going to go into twenty twenty four because we can't get everywhere in a year, but we're experiencing it on the fly, real time. How it feels to be in front of a crowd that you think you might not see again. So bittersweet?
Speaker 4: Really, No, what are you doing for school programs? I know you've given so much to fans, but you're also giving back to the community.
Speaker 3: We've been working with a Grammy Foundation for a long time, more than a decade, and helping bring attention to the lack of funding for school choirs, and on this tour, we're having choir competitions. The winner of the competition gets a Bose l one system with our partners nice there, and we donate money to the choirs, and it's all about giving them the experience and also helping fund music in the arts.
Speaker 5: That's so cool because the music is so important. Kelly, you joined the band in two thousand and five, correct, What was it like stepping into such an iconic group.
Speaker 3: Well, I have had a little conversation with myself and said, do you think you can do this? And sometimes you just have to have belief in yourself and take a leap, and it seemed to have worked out.
Speaker 4: So it did work out. And look at what I'm holding. This is such a treat right here. What do you think it is about your music that has resonated with so many people over the past what four decades?
Speaker 1: Now?
Speaker 3: It's the catalog, It's it's a wonderful catalog of songs with its sixteen top thirties and over eighty million records sold. And I think the quality of the material is really what's important.
Speaker 2: Nice.
Speaker 5: So you guys have as many hits as Fleet with Mac they're in the Hall of Fame. You guys have been eligible to be in the rock and roll Hall of Fame for a long time for a while, but continue to be overlooked. What do you think it's going to take I don't.
Speaker 3: Think that that's really what's important. I think what's important to us is that our fans show us that they love us. And I don't know rock and roll hall of fame a set standard of what they think is important. I mean influence. How many people have been influenced to pick up a guitar or sing because of this band. I consider that influence.
Speaker 4: It is all right, thank you very much. And now here is Farder with one of their songs, of course that I love.
Speaker 2: I want to know what love is. I want that song.
Speaker 6: I've been waiting for this song. Please give it to us, all right, get a.
Speaker 7: Take a little time, little time to thinkings over, better read between the lines.
Speaker 8: In case I need and win a moulder.
Speaker 7: This mountain, mounts Clive.
Speaker 8: Feels like a world upon my shoulder. Through the clouds, I see the shine. Excuse me, warms like gross colder.
Speaker 5: In my last.
Speaker 4: There's been punicking.
Speaker 8: I don't now you fucking sa sit.
Speaker 4: Down now, I'm Chael, so.
Speaker 8: You change this.
Speaker 7: I want to know nothing.
Speaker 3: I want you shine.
Speaker 4: I want to see nothing.
Speaker 2: Well that was amazing. I want to know what love is. Was really outstanding. They actually brought on stages you know better, I'm local, you know, chorus, young children they had singing in the chorus that was just so amazing, which I find fascinating. But we haven't forgotten our friends back at WABC in New York because according to the great schedule here, as you folks know best, September second, Syracuse, New York, September third, the pnd Bank Arts Center in Home Down, New Jersey, and all the way going into the latter part of twenty twenty three, November the seventeenth, Bethlehem, Pennsylvania. How do you guys do it? It must be amazing talk about being on the road. I mean, you know people who see these concerts. I mean obviously myself, I don't know all the back of the details, but you love what you do. But boy, that drains a lot of your battery energy every day to beyond as much as you guys are, so that must be pretty challenging to be on sport. Describe that for them don't understand what we're talking.
Speaker 1: About, Well, it definitely does, you know. I think that there's though there is some drainage, as you said, you know, to I like that drain to the battery, you know, to the body. There's a lot of travel. I mean, we all feel like the travel is the hardest part. I mean, you know, get the getting of the stage, you know, not not that running around in one hundred and three degree heat is easy on stage, especially you know, the time of the year. We just did three shows and Texas that will take its toll on.
Speaker 2: You know, Arizona someday, right, Oh god, I know, uh.
Speaker 1: Well I did hear. I have heard that they did blow some cold air on a Sunner stage. They're driving this Americans on stage from whatever well there, but yeah, so yeah, there is certainly a draining component to it, but it's also energizing. You know, we get our batteries recharged by the crowds that we get, you know, in the enthusiasm that that's coming back to us. So yeah, there's you know, the travel is the hardest part, and you know, getting on buses, getting on planes, you know, but sort of drudgery of that can can take its toll. But we all try to eat well and take care of ourselves out here and do what we need to do to stay fresh. And obviously sleep is a huge part of that for everyone. So we do our best to get that done. But at the end of the day, we love what we're doing. And you know, you just like practicing an instrument and getting better at that or whatever your craft is. I mean, there's a there's some travel chops that get developed, if you know what I mean. You know, if after you're doing it, you sort of get it, it becomes a well illed machine in the sense of you know, you know, you know what your rituals are, packing and unpacking. You know, you know what you have to do to get to get up and ready in time, and to do the things you need to do during the day before you lead the hotel and get to the venue, and you just sort of that part of it, you know, it almost gets to be second nature too. So yeah, that's uh, it's a challenge.
Speaker 2: But one no, I don't know how I could do it. That's amazing. But God bless you guys, because again on the very positive side of the Sohole interview, you're as energized as you can be one and ten percent, and that's exactly the gie that audience loves, and that energy is definitely two directional. I want to also mention to you right now. Of course, we're going to be hearing a little excerpt from an interview that was done with the band and Good Morning America just recently talking about this historic farewell tour twenty twenty three, twenty twenty four, and I think that really says it well, Michael. You know, obviously you're out there in the public eye for so long, this great band, part of American culture in the rock and the old world. But I want to just transition to something here and see if you can help us out. We have a lot of big fans of Vinyl out there. I mean, it's not amazing the resurgence of vinyl. Everywhere I go bookstores and other big music stores. Vinyl has really shocked at the top, bigger than what STD is. But is it true that you have a gold Vinyl commemorative album that people can get to and also a black version of that talked about that that's amazing for big fans of vinyl.
Speaker 1: Yes, that's true. We've been selling them in all the shows and actually really a lot of we're selling find edition of the black vinyl. That's every day we get to the venue and we're just they've got them lined up for us to sign. They've been selling quite well at the shows. People can also get them at Foreigner online dot com. Yes, that's right, that's the one. I think, all the all the merchants available there, all the different kinds of vinyl that you said, the golden and the black versions. So yes, it's wonderful. I mean that's kind of you know, full circle, right. I mean it comes back to when the band first came out, you know, and all those iconic albums on on vinyl, Double Vision, head Games, you know, the first album just entitled Foreigner and you know Foreigner for Agent Provocateur, all those classics that were people were used to hearing on vinyl.
Speaker 5: Uh.
Speaker 1: Yeah, this is a sort of of kind of bringing it all back home.
Speaker 2: Well as this that wasn't enough, Let's talk about something else here that I have in my hand that I couldn't put it down. It's the audio CD and the DVD with the twenty first century Symphony Orchestra and Chorus. Now, this one, folks, knocks it out of the park because I can't think of a more better blending of the different genres of music and incorporating what a classical orchestra an amazing chorus in with the sound and music of foreigners. Talk about that because that is that's something for everyone. In other words, you have somebody out there that would say terribly and I would never agree with them. Oh, I'm not in the rocket roll. They like the audio files for classic music or such. For Wow, isn't this incredible? I mean this set that audio CD and DVD's it must have describe that whole process of where it was done and a little bit of the backstory that we may not have been able to capture from watching it on the DVD.
Speaker 1: It was a pretty special event. We were performing at a festival in Lucerne, Switzerland. We've done that festival twice now, with both times with this orchestra made of Swiss musicians from that region. Lake Lucerne is this beautiful lake in Switzerland with you know, views of the Alps in the background, and it's just a really gorgeous, scenic, fairy tale kind of city, really beautiful city and amazing hotel right there on the lake that we were staying, a hotel Schweizer. It's called Schwizhoff, that's it. And yeah, we did this performance and recording with the orchestra of the twenty first century Orchestra that you described, and it was a blast. You know. It's part of this festival, so all kinds of other bands playing throughout the weekend, throughout the week you know. I think at one point where I just went in, Fire was there and a lot of classic band Howard Jones kind of, you know, a lot of a lot of classic bands at a classic artists they call it Retrofest and yeah, which we've been there twice now and one of them was recorded, and it was just a really great opportunity. And like you said, I chanced to hear all the songs and all the music in a different context in the classical more of the classical contest text of course. Still there's you know, the full rock band combined with the classical instrumentation, which is just seems to work really well.
Speaker 2: Most beautiful And if you're a big fan of Foreigner, who isn't if you're missing something in your audio collection and now DVD collection, you got to get a copy of this. It's just beautiful. Just a few more minutes with you as time permits here and I do appreciate your time, and say hi to Kelly Hanson. Kelly was awesome, like yourself and talking to us about a year or so ago, and I got to ask this, and now we're positive. He always want to be positive. But it was tough during COVID, right, I mean, God bless all.
Speaker 1: The bands in the world.
Speaker 2: All everything was just kind of like coming to a grinding hole. But describe that period because it was something that maybe a lot of music acts and bands couldn't survive. Warner came out well, but that was a tough time.
Speaker 1: Obviously, it was a tough time and we were really sidelined. It was a lot of false starts. You know, there was a thought of Okay, we're not going to cancel these shows yet, I think we're going to be good. Then get closer and closer, and the promoters would pull the plug because we just weren't there yet, and there were still, you know, resurgences of the virus happening in different areas depending on where we were going. You know, we had to just cancel postpone, a lot of a lot of trips, a lot of tours, and we got going again. I think our first shows back were in May of twenty twenty one, so compared to a lot of artists, a lot of bands that we got out there probably as soon as it was possible, you know, and of course there was still a lot of protocols in place at that point, a lot of masking, still a lot of the distancing and everything. But yeah, it's sort of here we are, I mean over two years later and on and going wrong end, but yeah, we did. We were sidelined for about a year and a half really, and yes, yeah, I mean it was it was a lot of a lot of time at home. I mean, honestly, for me, there were you know, it was bittersweet because it was it was nice to actually get to be at home or and do some other musical projects, you know, in my personal studio that had been put off for a while. I just didn't have as much time to do. So that was, you know, the sort of silver lining there. There were some more creative projects at home that I was able to dive into, but we were all missing being out there, and thank god, we were able to get it going again in May twenty one.
Speaker 2: Michael, just a couple of quick ones here, and I know your time is important, just like here, so I want to know something when you look at this whole world of the keyboards, Who in your mind in this dimssion is somebody that you really looked up to? I know, it's just labbed in your bio that we just read at the top of the show. So many different people that you've been around, But who who do you admire so much in the keyboard world throughout the UTU all time. It doesn't necessarily have to be in the rock genre.
Speaker 1: I would say that I have some people in different genres and different time periods that have been the biggest influence for me, the most impactful. I mean, you know, the closest to the rock and roll world. I mean Keith Emerson, Rememberson, Macol Palmer. He was a huge influence when I was first getting into playing rock keyboards and also discovering jazz and progressive music because he kind of brought those things together and obviously a strong classical influence in his style. Rick Wakeman of Yes also a big, big influence in that world. But then you know, on them getting further on into high school and college, I got more into jazz and went further back to people like Oscar Peterson from Canada, amazing jazz pianists, Bill Evans, Keith Jarrett, Herbie Hancock. Room's really large for me as a guy that was missed in the sixties and seventies. You know, a lot of people know him from Rocket, you know, his big hit Rocket from the early eighties, but he was an amazing jazz piano. Is an amazing jazz pianist who play with Miles Davis. Was part of Miles davis second big quintet in the nineteen sixties when Herbie was just you know, a young man. He was playing with Miles in the sixties and then he started his own group, the Headhunters, doing funk kind of funk jazz the seventies. And I love all that stuff, acoustic stuff with Miles and the funk stuff that he did with his own band. So I would say, yeah, Keith Jarrett and a lot of solo piano jazz stuff.
Speaker 2: And well that's a lot of people, you bet, a lot of talent.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So I have a lot of influences, diverse group of people. Yeah, And then I love you know, I mean Elton John and Billy Joel or two towering figures and pop piano and those guys what those guys did with Songwright.
Speaker 2: Wow, a lot of powerful, powerful answer to a great you know, world of music. But you know this is a bit I hate to say this. We hate to end these interviews here, but that's Foreigner Ladies and gentlemen, composed of Mick Jones, Kelly Henston, Bruce Watson, Jeff Pilson, Chris Frasier, Luis Moldonado and of course our special guest today Michael Lustin on keyboards. Thank you so much. I want to remind people to go to Foreigner online dot com from your entire tour schedule all their offerings that you can get. This particular interview conducted of course in August of twenty twenty three, regarding the historic Farewell Tour twenty twenty three, twenty twenty four. I do appreciate your time and godspeed to you and the band. Please stay on the line as we go to the heartbreak at the bottom of the hour that concludes this interesting addition, as you tell us out there up to Doctor Sky experience exclusively on America's number one radio station, Talk Radio, seventy seven WABC. We call it the Crown jewl of radio. The iconic seventy sothern talk radio I'm Steve Kates, and I want to thank our producer, Doctor D for handling all the technicals that make this found as good as you would expect. Thank you to our special guest, Michael Blue said