Speaker 1: Our bank proudly sponsors The Sandy Show. Make the switch effortlessly by visiting www dot r dot bank member fdiic Hey. If you're just joining us, JB is filling in this week for Tricia. It's good to have him. And if you want to grab the podcast, do that. Just search the Sandy Show and we get it done around noon for you. And it's the entire show. Normally it's just the best fifteen minutes of the show, but since JB's here, I thought we'd put the whole show out there and you can grab it. Also, shoot us a text seven three seven three zero one ninety six hundred JMI.
Speaker 2: This is kind of interesting.
Speaker 1: Austin landed on the top smartest cities in the United States. And when I say smartest, I don't want you to think of like your smart friend, you know what I mean. But it's not that it's it's it's they use data to design and plan the cities do. They run more sustainably and are easier to travel around than other urban areas. Now, I don't know how Austin got a high mark on being able to travel around because there's no east west in this city.
Speaker 2: That's interesting.
Speaker 3: Maybe they're talking about what's not what's walkable. Yeah, because if you look at the footprint of downtown Austin now, like from center of downtown you can, I mean you can walk to booming East six seventh, you can walk down to South Congress, you can walk to West six like it's a very But what did your uncle Mark very constantly, what did your uncle Mark always say about walking? It's either him or my dad said everything's walking distance, So it's not really a good measure. So but I don't know that they must mean that, because yeah, driving through it's horrible.
Speaker 1: So here's the question they say, So, which cities are leaning into technological advancements in green infrastructure. The cities are at number ten Atlanta, then Los Angeles at nine, New York at eight, San Francisco seven. I thought they would be higher than that because of the tech piece in this, but they're number seven. Boston is number six. I went to Boston for the first time ever last December.
Speaker 2: Loved that city. Loved Boston.
Speaker 3: That was your all your time you spent in and around New York citel you hadn't spent.
Speaker 2: And I went there.
Speaker 1: I went for the Army, Navy football game which was in Boston last year. I spent four days in Boston and loved it. I'll still never root for the Patriots or the Celtics or the Bruins, but the Red Sox for sure. But it was it's a cool city. It's small. You want to talk about walkable, that cities walkable.
Speaker 3: I'd been there once and it was like I was only in and out in like forty eight hours and I and I was.
Speaker 2: With a local, So I got that's cool, the local treatment. And I love great city.
Speaker 1: Other cities on the list of the smart top smartest cities in the United States include, Oh, Glynton, California again tech people, San Jose, tech people, and then lost and we check in at number three, and then the top two.
Speaker 2: One surprised me. Number one doesn't surprise me at all.
Speaker 1: But for the top ten smartest cities based on those leaning into technological advancement and green infrastructure, Miami number two.
Speaker 3: Oh, I would not have guessed that Ny either. That's like a city of excess. It's the opposite.
Speaker 1: And number one Seattle, Yeah, because you've got Microsoft that's there and Boeing and all that.
Speaker 2: And remember when we went up there and interviewed for job. Yeah, you loved it, right, I was into it more than you were.
Speaker 1: I just didn't see one good looking girl the whole time I was there. I remember saying that.
Speaker 2: But you were also more very into Atlanta and yeah that's true. Yeah, to take a job there. Jam couldn't handle it because he saw signs to Chatanooga.
Speaker 3: You're like, I saw a sign this way Chatty White River freaked me out.
Speaker 2: I was like, wait, I am not ready for now.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I just remembered. I mean we had gone interviewed in Seattle and then we went to Atlanta. I was like, boy, the girls in Atlanta show know how to smile, you know what I mean?
Speaker 2: The girls in Seattle.
Speaker 1: Seattle were all had bandages on their knees and carrying violin cases.
Speaker 2: You know. It was weird, really weird.
Speaker 1: So Austin doing well in that list, I mean, we've popped up on so many lists lately. I saw we were in the top five for rental market in America for a house.
Speaker 2: In my daughters.
Speaker 3: Oh, my daughter has to pay she's twenty two years old and it costs so much to live.
Speaker 2: Twenty two Could you live here when you were twenty two years old. Could you have lived here? No? Impossible?
Speaker 3: So I mean when I was when I was her age, I got my first apartment on my own, and it was like seven hundred dollars a month, and I just was like, couldn't get my brain around it. It was like every penny and your paycheck was like eight oh one right between between that apartment payment and a car payment, which wasn't much.
Speaker 2: It was an old piece of crap. Jeep.
Speaker 3: I think I had a time, but it was just like it was every pennion. And and so you ate at the radio station, tip over the vending or.
Speaker 1: Free samples, or someone brought breakfast tacos or something you were.
Speaker 2: There, or just crack the mic, go on air and go sure it would be nice to get a pizza.
Speaker 1: Right about now, slowly but steadily, Austin is losing some of its old joints. Now, thankfully Project Connect has changed their mind and they're not going to tear down Dirty Martins just oh is that is what they did. I was ready to chain myself to Dirty Martin's. I'm there probably once a month, and I just love it.
Speaker 3: I take I I I loved it in college and I took my dad there, I don't know, five years ago or so, because he was like, man, when I was a kid, you could get an old flat grillberger And I was like, and my dad is a lover of golf too, and I said, I won't be surprised if you see some legendary Longhorn golfers there. Sure enough, when we were wrapping up our lunch ed Clements came.
Speaker 2: In a few months ago.
Speaker 3: He's a sportscaster in Austin and uh, legendary, but he he goes to get lunch with Ben Crenshall all the time, and so he saw me and they walked over right away. So it made me, It made let me look kind of cool friend of my dad. But my dad got to.
Speaker 2: Me that's cool.
Speaker 1: It was just, yeah, that's very cool. The place so Dirty's is safe, which is great. But the place that's going away, uh is Egos. And if you you really got to know the city to know where Egos is, right because it's in a parking garage.
Speaker 3: It's mostly known or has been known for karaoke. It's been around forty five years. It's underneath a parking garage. Like you go to the bottom level of parking garage and near Riverside in thirty five, I mean sorry, Riverside and Congress, and you you don't even think there, there's no way you would think this is a bar.
Speaker 2: And then you go in like you would go.
Speaker 3: To an elevator to go up to an office, and there's a whole bar down there. And it's known for like just being dark and seedy obviously no windows, karaoke, slam poetry, like just a rebel kind of place.
Speaker 2: And this is the place. Go ahead and say no.
Speaker 3: And it's been around forty five years and that's all going to get developed. I read a little bit about it a few months ago that that's going to be like a mid to higher.
Speaker 2: Can they just leave all on top of Egos?
Speaker 3: You know, it's it's it's more, it's those condos behind it. It's a bigger footprint. You think they're they're trying to buy that chevron Really yeah, I know, exactly right there on the corner and then all the condos behind it and then do a whole multi use thing so it'd be condo office.
Speaker 1: JB and I used to go to Egos when we had problems at work, which was often which was a lot.
Speaker 2: We'd go there to folk.
Speaker 3: It's not you and I. You and I were always aligne with them, but that's where we would go. I don't know why we there was like going where the lonely go, really and but their phone didn't doesn't work in there, and didn't back then it probably does now. But it was dark and it was cool, and it was seed and it was quiet. But it was you know, just us and a bunch of other drunks.
Speaker 2: It was great.
Speaker 3: It's just I know, I know you don't drink anymore, but I'm sure you can remember this. It's it's the kind of bar where the alcohol's just soaked into the woods. Yes, you know, it's just got this woodsy, seedy, moldy grandma's basement kind of vibe. That's great, that kind of place like z Betty cabarets the same way. Which yeah, unfortunately, that building in the last year was made a historical marker, so that well, that's galloped.
Speaker 2: That's good, which.
Speaker 3: Doesn't it doesn't mean it will always be the bar, but it's not gonna get sold to be developed, which is a good sign because that in Poolberger has been a great combination.
Speaker 2: She's another story. But yeah, Egos was like, I mean, god, that's I mean.
Speaker 3: But if it's gonna be a new building, like, why can't you put the new Egos in the building on these you know what I mean?
Speaker 1: I don't know, is it? Do you know how long? What's the timeline of as to when it's gonna be done? The reason I ask is because I have a great time my cousin. It's only my second cousin. So my cousin's daughter moved here a few years ago, and she's young, single girl living in Austin's got a great job doing all this stuff, but she doesn't know Austin. So we get together about once every other month, and we go out to dinner or do something. And I always take her places that she's never gonna find as a as a new Austin, She's never She would never have found Musashino, right, She would have probably found Dirty's, but it would have been a while.
Speaker 2: But I want to take her to Egos. Do you know how long? They're much longer they're going to be there.
Speaker 3: I don't have details on when it's going to close, but I would go soon. You know it is that's legendary and it's going to be weird. The high rises are moving south of the river. That's going to freak a lot because we need more condos in downtown.
Speaker 2: Really do well.
Speaker 3: You know they just approved another one across you know, the old theater. It's now a tech office. It's sounds louder. The Dirty movie theater there was a porn theater in the eighties. Yeah, across the street from that it was a nursing home that's all boarded up.
Speaker 2: Now that's going to be condos. Wow. Yeah, didn't which which I really.
Speaker 3: Hate that there and then I might be all into it.
Speaker 1: Didn't your wives grandparents meet at that theater before it was a dirty movie theater?
Speaker 3: They would go They both went to the school for for the death. So that was that was a big day night. I was going down the street to that theater. Yeah, for sure.
Speaker 1: Well again another place going away. I guess it progresses what it is. Text us anytime you'd like. The number is seven three, seven three zero one ninety six hundred. That's seven three, seven three zero one ninety six hundred. Grab the Sandy Show podcast. We're posting the entire show this week because JB is filling in for Tricia. That's available wherever you get your podcasts. All right, these are the best TV commercials out there right now, in my opinion, are these These.
Speaker 2: Are my tissue box covers. Remember, tissues come in their own boxes.
Speaker 3: It's important for young homeowners to let go of the things turning them into their parents.
Speaker 2: There we go, right, who's next.
Speaker 1: I've been holding onto these pieces of crown molding because you never know when you're gonna need them.
Speaker 2: I do, and it's never. That's the insurance commercial. I never know. I can't keep my commercials straight. I don't even know who that's for.
Speaker 1: I know that there's the guy that is the uh, that guy that causes havoc, that guy the band. Yeah, and then you've got Flow and her Crow from Progressive. So maybe this is nationwide anyway. And they're funny when it, you know, talked about becoming your parents. Well, uh, the average person first notices that they're acting like their parents at age thirty.
Speaker 2: That seems really young to me at age thirty.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, definitely by I would say more like forty for me.
Speaker 2: I would say about fifty for me.
Speaker 1: But they also say some habits start much much earlier, at around twenty people see themselves turning into their parents when it comes to their food, cooking and eating habits, which you've done in a good way from your dad.
Speaker 2: Yeah, oh yeah, yeah yeah, I cook.
Speaker 1: All lifestyle habits and language as well as when they're trying. So you kind of more and more turning to your parents. I don't know if me turning into Big Al is a good thing or not, be honest with he's pretty cranky, he's pretty irritable. My dad sits around and reads I mean TV. It's the funniest damn thing. He reads TMZ every day. If if you need to know what what you know, Big Lefty T the Rapper is doing, he can tell you. If you need to know what Machine Gun Kelly and Megan Fox are up to, my dad knows because he's sitting there reading TMZ every day.
Speaker 4: Wow.
Speaker 3: And for those listening who don't know, like Al, like retired Air Force the last guy you would think just like a bad He is watching or reading and he wants to know what's.
Speaker 1: Going on with Cardi B. Called me the other day and said, see Cardi B is getting divorced. I'm surprised it lasted this long.
Speaker 2: That's fine.
Speaker 1: You know, I'm like, Dad, you got to come on the radio with us and do the celebrity updates.
Speaker 2: I'm not doing that now. I'm not doing that.
Speaker 1: He gave uh, he gave my daughter and for those of you, my daughter's very involved in her Navy r OTC. My dad gave her last time we were up there one of his flight suits and also gave her a lot of his uh hardware, you know, medals awards. Yeah, so she has all that stuff that I thought it.
Speaker 2: Was super cool, so smart.
Speaker 1: Or to my or or to my two dopey nephews, who you know what I mean.
Speaker 2: I mean he I told.
Speaker 1: Land said, Grandpa could have given that stuff to me, to my sister, to Jack or but he gave it to you for good reason.
Speaker 3: You know, I he sees something exactly that's ex He wouldn't have done it. He would not have if he didn't see her capable her And you've probably said that I did he Like, I know enough about your dad from that, Like, he would not have given it to some dopey kid to try to make that.
Speaker 2: No, wouldn't. He wouldn't have done it.
Speaker 1: And so she's be because they wouldn't have and they wouldn't have taken care of it, and Landry has it and it's a safe spot. And what's funny is she tried on his flight suit and it fits her perfectly. Just it's kind of strange, to be honest with you, very very strange. Just to recap this, friends that on average, you first noticed that you're acting like your parents at age thirty. Some people start a little bit earlier at age went te JB. You were a motivator for this show from the last time that you were on. Last time you were on with Tricia and I, we were doing care don't Care, and we didn't have any production value. And for the unwashed, production means like little songs or jingles or music or something like that. And it was laying because I would say, you know, let's do care and then Tricia would say don't care. JB busted our chops about it, rightfully, so we we deserved it.
Speaker 2: Those well.
Speaker 1: Our our computer guy Chip was listening that day, so he went into some artificial intelligence machine if you will, I don't know, and he made our little jingle for care don't care.
Speaker 4: Here it is carried.
Speaker 2: That is all done by artificial intelligence. Sarah Wow, I gotta know.
Speaker 3: How did he just say I want a song that sounds like probably about caring.
Speaker 1: I thought it had a little Bee fifty two to it in there.
Speaker 2: A little bit a little French sneer, I thought.
Speaker 1: But anyway, you were the motivation for that. So tell me, do you care? Don't care to know? If swimmers what swimmers have to do when they break a world record at the Olympics, And I'll tell you it is very old school for it to count.
Speaker 2: They have to do this for the world record to count. I do care.
Speaker 3: I'm trying to figure out where this is. You'll never guess what they have to do. Is it something like an official capacity or a tradition. No, it is official, like like when I would hang out with with your rugby buddies they would drink beer out of a shoot.
Speaker 1: Or something like that. No, it's this is like this. If you don't do this, it does not count. It is not official. They have to listen to this. They have to send a facts to be verified by World Aquatics, their the governing body of swimming.
Speaker 2: A facts has to be sent, not any mail, not.
Speaker 1: Just because that's how they If someone came to you and said JB, will you fox this to someone?
Speaker 2: I would have no idea what to do.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I don't think I could do it, and I still have all the facts as we collected in the in the late nineties for our at work.
Speaker 1: Really, boxes swimmers aren't the only Olympians with weird rules. Boxers need to be clean shaven, gymnasts cannot wear bright colored nail polish. BMX writers need to tuck in their shirts as well.
Speaker 2: JB.
Speaker 1: Care don't care to know what a study has found happens to mail drivers when they have a sexy sounding GPS voice.
Speaker 2: What happens to them? They probably get elevated to stoster.
Speaker 1: Which forces them to take more risks when they've got a sexy voice because it's a woman's voice or a second voice to them, they say, men associate the woman's sexy voice on the GPS to be more to them being young and attractive. And the guys that were involved in this study, it was proven that the guys listening to a sexy GPS voice would blow through yellow lights more often than if they were listening to.
Speaker 2: A lower pitched voice. Weird, weird, weird, weird.
Speaker 1: We're going through the teaching our daughter how to drive right now, and I just had the don't ever change lanes and an intersection conversation with her.
Speaker 2: It's dangerous.
Speaker 1: It's because someone could be turning right on red and you'd get into that lane and you hit them.
Speaker 2: So I didn't know it was illegal to do it.
Speaker 1: Tricia pointed that out, to change lanes in the intersection.
Speaker 2: Did you know that? I guess I did not know that. I just I don't think i'd do that normally, but maybe I have. Did you teach your daughter to drive? Yeah, quite a bit.
Speaker 3: I mean they have that whole I mean, she did a whole school, like it's all privatized.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's not like it's not like the football.
Speaker 1: Of the comedians, the comedians that were in town, right, oh right, But no, I did.
Speaker 3: I actually spent more time with her, uh because she got a vespa like scooter and that scared that hell out of me, and so I ran out and bought one, and then I like, I followed her around for weeks, like show me the places you want to go, and then well I had her follow me first, and then I did that for a couple of weeks.
Speaker 2: Then I would follow her for several weeks. It's still just scarce. She's still She's not still scooting, though, is she. Yeah, she still has her scooters.
Speaker 1: I've noticed that the the rental scooters, I don't know what they're called, bird or whatever, those seem to have fallen off in popularity.
Speaker 3: Yeah no, this isn't one of the standing goofy scooters.
Speaker 2: This is a writing an Italian scooter. Yeah, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 1: I'm really glad that JB. I haven't told you about my Perpetual Disappointments Diary because I think it's something that you probably would enjoy.
Speaker 2: You'll understand why I do these things.
Speaker 1: It's a it's a diary that I keep of things that have that make me mad, or people that have made me mad, or things that I know I'll never accomplish, and it's just always there for me to flip back through to look back, so I don't forget that I'm still holding a grudge against somebody. So I thought i'd share with you a few of my entries into my Perpetual Disappointments Diary. The first one I ever put in here was people I know I will never speak to again, which is a very long list of people. Then I've got things I know will be a failure. Grudges I will always keep things I'll never organize is another entry in my Perpetual Disappointments diary. This list is I haven't added any to this list in a long time, but it does serve as a good reminder.
Speaker 2: Texts and emails I should not have sent.
Speaker 1: And anybody listening to this right now that can say they've never done that, You're lying.
Speaker 2: You are lying.
Speaker 1: Another entry is people I used to like but now I dislike and the reasons why trends that are getting out of hand is a popular entry in my diary. Also, annoying conversations I have overheard. I was that restaurant and the guys in the booth behind me just would not stop talking. And they weren't using You know, there's a certain volume you use at a restaurant, right, they didn't know that rule. So I strongly encourage you, JB to create your own diary of Perpetual disappointments.
Speaker 2: It's just a good way to stay grounded. Are you going to publish, Mike?
Speaker 3: Sure?
Speaker 2: You know again that falls into goals.
Speaker 1: I'll know I'll never achieve, right, I've got one, Oh, best guess is to win I'll die.
Speaker 2: I've got that there.
Speaker 1: And how I know I am not one of God's little soldiers for the evil things that I have in my list. But you'll be happy to know this.
Speaker 2: JB.
Speaker 1: You know, I've always said that if I get a terminal cancer, that there's three people that are gonna get it before I go. You know what I mean by that? My list is only two now God took care of one. If you know what I mean. I've got a list. I had a list for the longest time of three people.
Speaker 3: Wait, I thought to you, are your list of people who were going to go erase your car?
Speaker 2: You're my computer? Yeah? You and more.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I need to probably give you different the people that have done me wrong. There's there were there was three people. And if I got a terminal disease that I was going to take out before I died, Oh, you were going to dexter that I was going to do that. One of them is already gone to work for me. So I've only I'm down to two that are on my list.
Speaker 2: Oh my gosh, can you give me a hunt?
Speaker 3: But I know that one of them, you know the two, But who's the one.
Speaker 1: That just don't know that one, or that one goes back to college. Yeah, so you didn't know that one. But the two that are remaining, and I think you can probably guess who they are, and if they're listening right now, they know who they are too,