Speaker 1: You're listening to Bill Handle on demand from kf I AM six forty. My ladies and gentlemen, here's Wayne Resnick.
Speaker 2: JFI six forty live everywhere on the iHeartRadio app. Good morning, It's the Bill Handle Show. He is back from vacation on Monday. I'm Wayne Resbick sitting in one more time until nine o'clock and then it's full retirement for Wayne. Michelle, You're not gonna like this, but I've decided, well, you know, it's the last day, so I'm working without a net. And here's what i mean by that. Some I have never been about Mike to whatever extent that I've been successful in the sense that three different program directors have kept me on the air and I've never been fired and whatever. It hasn't been because I'm just so cool and have such an awesome personality that people they just want to hang out. So I'm assuming it has a lot to do with all the work that I put into every show to learn as much as I can and try to synthesize it in my mind so that maybe from time to time I make sense on the air about a topic of the day. And so a typical prep for a show is to read a tremendous amount of material and highlight it and the whole thing. Well, I didn't do that today. Uh Oh, I read. I read, I mean the things we're gonna talk about. I read stuff about the things we're gonna talk about. I didn't take any notes. I didn't highlight anything. It's gonna be just whatever. Whatever I remember, You'll be fine. I'll see, yeah, wall Look, it might be, it might be unbelievably impressive. I think it will be. I predict it will be. Or at might crash and burn into utter chaos. But who cares? Why here are you retiring anyway? Yeah, here's another thing. Should you hear I don't think you will, But should you hear anybody in the background who is not a human being? Because it will be. Because I am now coming to you today live from my home in the Commonwealth of Virginia, which was part of the whole retirement strategy. I bought a house here some time ago, remember when I went from full time to part time. That was part of the plan. So it's possible you'll hear a me ow at some point. Pay no mind.
Speaker 3: I love it is this new mew.
Speaker 2: No no, it's Meadow. It's miss Meadow, and you just never know. She's very she's very insistent, all right. So that's just the notes that you need in case, in case I stop making any sense at all, or you hear should you hear a mew or something in the background, you will, hopefully you will know, although in two hours it'll be different people listening and they won't know because I'm not giving this speech at the beginning of every singment. But I have, and I did, and it's on the record, and nobody can say I didn't say anything to explain whatever might happen today. And with that being said, here we go with today's handle on the news. Amy King, Oh wait, good morning, Michelle, good morning, and Kono Mona. Wayne. You're a good guy. You're a better guy. I love what you're doing with That's not true. I love what you're doing with those bumps. I know I've told you many times. I'm not going to be regretting. I will not regret that I never told you. But still it can't be said enough the way that you pick the bumps to match the topic that's coming up, and you're very clever about it. Some people might try to do it and every time it's the obvious thing or it's dumb, but you are smart about it. Thank you and Amo King o Waynorezzo, Oh what we have been through on that morning show when we were on it. The Morning Show is quite an environment, is it not, Michelle? Oh, yes it is. It is unlike any other show on KFI. You can decide how I mean that for yourself. All right, ladies and gentlemen, No, that's gonna be so professional from here on out. Watch this. It's time for handle On the news, it's Amy King and me and our lead story. Well, a small plane crashed through the roof of a furniture manufacturing building right next to the Fullerton Airport. Two people are dead, nineteen injured. Now, eight of those were treated at the scene and released. Eleven of those were hospitalized. We don't know anything really about the identities of these people yet. But it was ninety seconds after takeoff from the Fullerton Airport. The pilot radioed, Hey, I need an emergency landing. So there was some obviously serious mechanical something happened. I need an emergency landing. They said, okay, you can here's where you can land. If you need to land on this side of the runway, that's fine. If you need to land on that side of the runway, that's okay too. Right now, it's an emergency landing, and unfortunately the pilot was not able to make it back to a runway.
Speaker 3: You know, Will Cole Schreiber was talking about when they used to do take off and landing from the Fullerton Airport, and he said it was always a very unique and a little unsettling because on a lot of airports there's a lot of green space around the runway and this one, he said, it's like you're you're flying right over warehouses. You don't have that kind of I don't know, breathing space whatever.
Speaker 2: There's no buffer, there's no buffer area. Buffer. Yeah. Well, I mean, it is a tragedy. The only thing maybe you shouldn't even say this, but there's kind of like there is this sense of at least it wasn't a person being evil. That's not very much to take away from a tragedy like this, and maybe that says something about the state of the world that it's even something that it's even an observation to say, well, at least this was some kind of accident and not somebody trying to hurt people whenever you would like, Amy, I'm sorry, I'm done. Okay, this one's going to be tight.
Speaker 3: So the new Congress convenes today, they'll be sworn in, but before they're even sworn in, they have to elect a Speaker of the House. Of course, Mike Johnson wants the job, but whether he can hold the gavel is going to be uh, it's a little bit up in the air because he doesn't have any wiggle room. The Republican won the House by a two twenty to two fifteen majority in the twenty twenty four elections, but they're going to start with two hundred nineteen members because former Representative Matt Gates of course resigned. So and they've already got one guy who says not voting for him. I believe it's Massy, So just one more could unseat him or at least make things a lot more difficult.
Speaker 2: Well, let's see if they have a you know, they're setting an example right now, even though it's not really a first impression, it's a first impression for this term, and they can get off on the right foot, or they can show us that it's the same chaotic house that it's been for the last however many years. As of yesterday, there were fourteen Republican House members who said they were undecided about voting for Johnson. So it seems like he's really got to he's got to have some good luck on top of whatever behind the scenes maneuver that he's been able to do. But we'll see what happens. So I'm doing are we? Are we now? Sorry? I think I'm working off something. Are we now? The opposite of what the story says? Michelle, I don't know what you mean. Well, Amy is doing because we skipped we were skipping a story. So it's amas turn again, right, No, no, no, I sent you the updated Yeah, I guess what. Guess who didn't? Guess who didn't? Guess who didn't? I sent you the new numbered Uh yeah, yeah, okay, hold on, wow, this is really so it's going to be so professional. No, no, no, no, no, hold on. Here's what we're gonna do. I'm going to try to Yeah, here it is. Story number three is yours? Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah. I got it. I got it, I got it, I got it. I got a lot, I got a lot of I got a lot on my mind. Yes you might imagine, all right, So just so people know, So what happens is, for a handle on the news, the producer in this case, Michelle picks a bunch of stories and puts them in an order that makes sense. And then we have a stack of these stories, and as you can tell, we alternate presenting the story so they're marked up with who's supposed to do it. And then we did make a change, and then stupid me didn't download the change one. But guess what all is well, A family led coalition who want Eric and Lyle Menendez to be re sentenced and released immediately. Our meeting today with New La County District Attorney Nathan Hakman over twenty members of Jose and Kitty Menendez's family. They all these, I mean not every member of the family supports this, but obviously all the people who are showing up today fully support some kind of a resentencing process that will take into account the abuse and that trauma that Eric and Leilemanendez suffered at the hands of their father, and also what they say is substantial rehabilitation over the last thirty five years. Let me end with this, I feel like you can't have both. If they deserve great leniency because of what they suffered at the hands of their father, then that would mean they're not criminally minded, they're not vicious killers, they're not anti social. So what would there have been to rehabilitate now if they just mean they behaved themselves in prison, I guess that's a different thing. Hi, Nathan hakman Man, I don't know. He's no George Gascon. I think we can agree on that. But they're having a meeting today. I don't know when we'll hear anything about what might actually happen.
Speaker 3: Well, if you don't make a lot, you're gonna get a little more. Workers are less than sixty three thousand dollars a year in California can now receive up to ninety percent of their regular pay while they're out on family leave, caring for a new child or maybe a sick family member. If you earn more than that sixty three thousand dollars threshold, you'll get seventy percent of your wages. The increase applies to new claims filed on or after January first of this year. Claims from twenty twenty four do not qualify for the new rates.
Speaker 2: Now, I don't have a calculator in front of me, and I wouldn't want to try to use it any way to figure this out. But assuming this really is a bright line rule, where if you make sixty two thousand, nine hundred ninety nine dollars you get ninety percent of that, and if you make sixty three thousand dollars you get seventy percent of that, there are going to be people in a band of income that are worse off even though their salary is more, which doesn't seem. That seems weird to me. Like I understand if you low income people should should be able to have more money when they're on family or sick leave, But should they take home now more money on leave than somebody whose regular pays more. It doesn't see. Maybe they do have a ramping down of the percentages. So that's somebody whose salary is actually higher than yours. You both go on family leave, and you, as the higher salary person, you're actually now getting less than that person. It's like getting a bonus. Oh okay. Now, San Francisco and West Hollywood have had cannabis lounges for some time, but all you could do there is go and sit there and use weed. Hey, could I get a casadiya?
Speaker 4: No?
Speaker 2: Hey, maybe a band is going to come play while I consume my weed. No, well, now the answer is yes. And also this will spread across the whole state. It's Assembly Bills seventeen seventy five and it legalizes these they call them Amsterdam style cannabis cafes, So you can go in, you can buy cannabis, you can use it there, and also you'll be able to get food, non alcoholic drinks, and see live entertainment. The American Cancer Society does not like this one little bit because of the public health hazard with smoking, and also because some people invariably will leave there high as a kite and get behind the wheel of a car, just as they do with alcohol at bars. But that's what's happening. That's going to be I think, big business for a certain kind of clientele. And there's at least one of these places that's that said, we're going to have two vip rooms. Oh my goodness, I cannot wait to see the TMZ stories that come out of the celebrity cannabis lounge VIP rooms. Holly, if I may say, holy smokes, the goat gets another honor. Eleven time Olympic medalist Simone Biles.
Speaker 3: Has been named as Sports Illustrated's twenty twenty four Sportsperson of the Year. Of course, she gets the award after taking the twenty twenty four Paris Olympics by storm. She added four new medals to her collection in the team, the all around, the vault and floor exercises.
Speaker 2: Good for her, She's awesome. She is sit taculate. You know what. I don't know if there's something about gymnastics, but can anybody name a prominent gymnast who's like a jerk or isn't delightful? I can't think of one that's the job? No are It seems like they're all delightful. I don't know if that's even true, but certainly the big names over the years, they all seem to have been very delightful people and also just so oh sorry.
Speaker 4: She She gave an interview yesterday where she said she does not plan to compete in twenty twenty eight.
Speaker 2: I know some people were thinking that she might, she said, because there's nothing left for her to do. Yeah, she has to prove nothing. Why risk an injury You've already accomplished everything, and I suspect there's plenty of money to be legitimately made now with endorsements, probably see her anchoring. Maybe anchory is not the right word, but you know, commentating on coverage of the very natural progression for her. She's great. Yeah, she'd be great.
Speaker 3: Although you know what, there, I'm surprised that we didn't. We haven't seen more endorsements from her. I think there were a couple during the Olympics, but since then, I haven't seen her.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think we just will see her move into more of a media facing profile. Or maybe she's decided I just want to live my life with my man and I'm not I don't need to be in the public eye in any fashion.
Speaker 4: She's got her gym in Texas where they train, you know, so she's very into that. That's her focus right now is to make sure that the situation that she went through in coming up and training, you know.
Speaker 2: Doesn't happen to other gymnasts. She wants them to be a positive experience, good for her, bad for Apple, who's agreed to pay ninety five million dollars in a settlement accusing them of using Siri their voice activated AI assistant to eavesdrop on people, shocking activating it. These are the allegations. They've admitted no wrongdoing, so these are merely allegations activating it when you didn't want it to be activated, listening to you, and then selling some of that stuff to advertisers. They will always try to steal every piece of not just Apple, this is a general thing now, every website, every tech company wants to steal as much information as possible, specifically to sell it to advertisers. Now, since they have admitted no wrongdoing, we'll never know for sure how bad the truth really is. And also, Apple agreeing to pay ninety five million dollars is like me agreeing to pay less than one penny for something. So and also the fact that the settlement is being accepted by the plaintiffs to me suggests there may not be as much there as the headline would lead you to belief. But if you owned an Apple Syria equipped device starting in September seventeenth of twenty fourteen through the end of last year, you will be eligible to file acclaim and you could get up to twenty dollars per device covered by the settlement, depending on how many people file I don't know. I don't know if you're like me, where you're just constantly buying new My problem is iPads. I decided sometime I want to have an iPad in every room. I don't want to carry an iPad from one room to the other. And then of course, you know you got to replace them from time to time. So assuming I can remember them all, I might walk away with like one hundred and fifty bucks or one hundred, Dad would be one hundred and forty or one hundred and sixty multiples of twenty.
Speaker 3: You might need that in your retirement. Oh give definitely, this is the best streets. And not to go to summer camp. There's an eighty acre campground, has a river, lake, boat ramps, docks, cabins. It's in northern Minnesota and it's available now because they had to close it. And here's why, because it is a camp for HIV positive kids. And guess what, there aren't any anymore. The rates are down so low, down to below one percent, that they don't need the camp anymore.
Speaker 2: I love this story. I know right it.
Speaker 3: They can repurpose it for absolutely. We always need a good summer, though we always need a good summer camp, but I love that this one isn't needed.
Speaker 2: Yes, maybe it can just be a regular summer camp. Now, well, those of you people with those clean air vehicle decals on your tesla's gloating as you drive all by yourself in the carpool A. Sorry, Charlie's it's going to expire. Now here's the thing I don't understand. Is this a money thing or is this I think this is a permission from the feds thing. The Clean Air Vehicle Decal program allowed people who had favored cars, meaning low emission cars, to drive by themselves in the carpool lines, and Governor Knewsom signed an extension to have this thing going until January twenty twenty seven. However, it only works because we had permission from the federal government to do it. Well, guess who's coming into office. Guess who doesn't like California too much. Guess what administration's not as concerned about things like emissions as the current administration. And so if they do not extend the permission, than the state law that Newsom signed is moot and the program will shut down and all the people you know, you don't think about when you're on the freeway, you don't think about I never did. You don't think about I guess traffic's not as bad as it could be because some of the people that would normally be here with me in the regular lanes are over there in the HOV lane. But that's been the case. So nobody's sure exactly what will happen, But it could mean regular lanes get more congested. But it also could mean the regular lanes and the carpool lanes go slower. Because if you've ever driven, if you've ever had the rare privilege of driving in a carpool lane, you know that you can only get in and out of that lane as fast or as slow as the regular traffic is going. So if all the people that used to be in the carpool lane by themselves have to go on the road and it clogs up the regular lanes, I should say, clogs up more. Now the traffic is slower, so you people on the HOV lanes, you may be having to go slower too as people in the HOV lanes get in and get out of those lanes. It could be a real disaster.
Speaker 4: But part of this has to be about money too, because a lot of people bought these cars because they got that federal tax credit, and they don't get that they're not going to get that anymore.
Speaker 2: And they may not get permission to drive in the carpool lane by themselves. And then, now, why did you do it? A lot of people only did that so they could play Minecraft while the car drives itself exactly. Well, we'll see. Look, maybe it'll slip through the cracks, except I don't think it's a matter of slipping through the cracks. The federal government will have to take affirmative steps to lengthen it. So we can't count on the Trump administration just not really realizing and not getting around to stop it. Somebody in the Trump administration would have to make a point of extending permission for it.
Speaker 3: He's got a buddy now in Elon Musk, who has a lot of those cars on the road.
Speaker 5: Right.
Speaker 2: You know what, this is a good point, Amy King. You are really able to see all the chess pieces and how they fit together. Maybe Elon Musk has a vested interest in this program continuing, and he certainly seems to have the presidenc here well.
Speaker 3: The Ralphs in Pacific Balisades says it has had enough. There's a grocery store that is suing seven food vendors because they've set up streets. They've set up on the streets and sidewalks around the store, and Ralph's is saying, you know what, you guys are trespassing, creating a public nuisance, being negligent.
Speaker 2: They say.
Speaker 3: The trucks and their clients illegally park, obstruct the view of traffic for Ralph's customers and employees, obstruct pedestrian walkways, draw crowds, and sometimes there are fights, and they litter in the Ralph's parking lots.
Speaker 2: They wanted to stop. You know, that's if it's as bad as Ralph says it is. If it's half as bad as Ralph says it is, they have a point. And I think the reason the food trucks want to set up there is because, of course you've got a lot of people coming to the rause, but also I think the key is probably and that's where there's a parking lot for the food truck customers. And where else would they be able to set up in Pacific Palisades to accommodate that kind of traffic. So they are perhaps glombing off of Ralph's infrastructure. And if those people are not behaving themselves and they're not shopping at Ralph's, get the hook. Randy's Donuts, long times in California favorite Randy's Donuts has a new location in Orange County. It opens today. It's at four forty South Anaheim Boulevard, and if you go there, it's in the Anaheim Packing District. In case the street address doesn't ring a bell, if you're in Orange County, you probably know exactly what I'm talking about. Free glazed donut. Just show up, be nice. They're giving you a free donut. Just one, be polite. And this is, of course now they don't have the giant donut obviously on the roof at the Anaheim Packing District like they do in Inglewood. But they're expanding. Randy's Donuts is expanding, because didn't they just open in not too long ago in North Hollywood they opened one. And also there's one in Culver City, and there's one in Vegas, isn't there Michelle Cube, you obviously know the answer to this question, you degenerate gambler. And this one, by the way, is not that far from the Anaheim Whitehouse. It's just up the street. Oh, so go have a fancy, a fancy, fancy elevated cuisine from Chef Bruno. But then skip the dessert menu at the Anaheim white House and go get a donut. Yep. Well, so let's do one more before the before we get some news.
Speaker 3: Amy Catwoman's ninth life is up. Oh, Jocelyn wild and Steam has died at the age of eighty four. You may not know that name, because I certainly didn't, but you know the face. She's best known as Catwoman because she's had extensive extreme plastic surgeries to look more catlike. People Magazine says she died in her sleep, taking a catnap.
Speaker 4: She and she said the only reason she had so many surgeries was because the man she was married to at the time didn't like to look at an old person, so she kept talking to It's.
Speaker 2: Kind of a sad story. It's a really very sad story. It is. It is actually a sad story.
Speaker 3: You know what.
Speaker 2: Let's just do this one quickly and then Amy Glison is because Wayne Osmond I think the fourth, fourth oldest of the nine Osmonds around there. Second, I thought he was the second uh, fourth, fourth oldest of the nine children raised by the Osmond family. He has passed away. Second old We're both right, yes, you know what. That's right. We were saying two different things. I was ranking him in terms of only the Osmond brothers, and you were ranking him in terms of all the children.
Speaker 3: No, I was doing it of the ones in the the group, and you were doing it.
Speaker 2: Oh, I was doing it of all the children. Yeah, okay. Well, in any event, after the Osmond brothers lost some of their luster, Donnie and Marie of course went on to be very popular, but more recently. I mean it was in the eighties, but that's still more recently than when they were The Osman brothers. Four of them got together as a country act and did have some hits. There's a song called I Think About Your lovin that country fans may recognize. And they had a brain tumor. He lost a lot of his hearing from the from the surgery to treat the brain tumor. And you know, I had some health problems there at the end. Uh, this hasn't happened until today. Okay, nothing like this, There was no but all of a sudden today there are quite a lot of people being very nice to me an email, and I just want you to know how appreciated it is. Is it the procrastination thing? You just wait till the last day? They all put ticklers in their calendars. I think I.
Speaker 4: Reminded everybody because I promoted it was your last day on our steps.
Speaker 2: I did all right, Well, thank you every I'm not going to name everybody's name because we don't have time for that, but it is very very much appreciated. You are distracting me. This is not a complaint. You're distracting me from the show as these nice emails come in, because I want to read them right away. But we do have some handle on the news to finish up here. And it's Amy King and it's me and two interesting stories that are connected by at least one factor.
Speaker 3: I would say, uh so, first of all, I wonder where this guy was headed. They have found some prehistoric footprints. There's seven of them in a mud hole on the Arabian Peninsula. Scientists say that the seven footprints were found amidst a clutter of hundreds of prehistoric animal prints. They're estimated to be about one hundred fifteen thousand years old. I bet the guy was running from the hundreds of prehistoric animal prints.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Wow, So this is not something that you come across constantly. This is a pretty big discovery. And they did a study of I mean, there's no way to recreate people from that time one hundred and fifteen thousand years ago. I think they were a little different than us. They probably weren't as distracted on their cell phones as we are. But they did a study using modern human footprints in mudflats and they say that if you now walk in a mudflat, the details, the fine details of your footprint only last about two days, and within four days you can't recognize them as human footprints anymore. Four days. This is one hundred and fifteen thousand years They held up, that's pretty cool. And then I said, we had two stories that are related. Has to do with footprints, because a bunch of workers were excavating a limestone quarry in England and they found a bunch of dinosaur tracks that make it look like that area was a dinosaur highway one hundred and sixty. The human princes we were talking about one hundred and fifteen thousand years old, These dinosaur tracks one hundred and sixty six million years old, and it's a little window into the lives of these dinosaurs. There's four actually there's more than four sets of tracks. There's a bunch of tracks. Four of them make up this highway path. It shows where these sorrow pods. Is that the giant thing with the long neck? Yeah, like we used to call them bronosauruses and now oh I see, but they've just been rebranded as soropods. Yeah, I don't know why would why? Who was I want to know what the complaint was that you that you should change the name because it's offensive. Maybe the estate of the Bronte.
Speaker 4: Sisters could be I gotta wonder what this dinosaur highway. Did they know how to merge or did they get caught up like we did?
Speaker 2: Well, some of them, some of them that didn't fart as much had special stickers, yes, and they could go in the carpool lane. So anyway, four of these sets of tracks are these souropods, which I think are herbivores. So they're only they're just eating plants. Yeah, they don't want to chop off Wayne Knight's head or anything like that. But then there's another set, uh, Megalosaurus, which apparently is what's nine yards twenty seven feet? Yeah, I think that's about twenty seven feet long. No tall, I don't know. They're big, they're giant. I'm confusing right now. Told you I'm working from memory here. I'm confusing the stats between the sauropods and this megalosaurus. I think the souropods are super like long, and this meglosaurus that's a nickname for one of the hosts here by the way, that we have Megalosaurus, I think is tall and Meglisaurus will eat you up with gusto. So that's all great from history. Do we want to I think we should end with this story Amy about this woman in Costa Mesa who got a bit of a surprise. Yep, surprise, you're dead. But she wasn't.
Speaker 3: Barbara Smith did not die in Boise, Idaho, on September twentieth. In fact, she says she's never been there, so she was a little bit more than shocked when she found out that her Medicare had been discontinued, her bank account was frozen, and the Social Security Administration wanted to claw back several months of benefits because she was dead. She's eighty one very much alive, and she said that.
Speaker 5: After hours on hold with Social Security and a trip to the Social Security office, they had her write a paper to say I'm alive and made her take a picture of her driver's license to prove it.
Speaker 2: My god, So they don't know if this was the result of some kind of fraud or if somebody at the Social Security Administration was entering death information for a different person and got one of the numbers wrong, typed in one of the wrong numbers accidentally typed in, so it ended up being her social Security number. And we will never know because Social Security Administration says we can't discuss it because of privacy laws. Let's put an exception into those privacy laws. When you falsely declare somebody dead, maybe you're allowed to tell the person. Wait a minute, they can't tell her, you know.
Speaker 3: And this happens to say, like ten thousand people a year.
Speaker 2: That's just crazy. Oh gee, I didn't need to hear that. All right, Well, there's nothing you can do. Every day. Here's what ladies and gentlemen, here's a little advice from weighing to you. Every day, take a photo of yourself with that day's newspaper and email it to SSA dot gov, and that way there will be a running proof that you are still alive. It's the only answer I can think of. This is KFI AM six forty Live everywhere on the iHeartRadio app. You've been listening to the Bill Handle Show. Catch my Show Monday through Friday six am to nine am, and anytime on demand on the iHeartRadio app.