Speaker 1: Well, it's time to go back down on the farm, and we're joined by a man that you may not know, but you will very soon, because he has impressed here during spring training his first big league camp, and that is young Jose Rodriguez, a proud Mexican from Wahaca, Mexico.
Speaker 2: Jose, thanks a lot for the time, appreciate it.
Speaker 3: Thank you, David, thanks for a time.
Speaker 1: You've really made an impression so far in this big league camp. What's it been like for you.
Speaker 3: It's been a great experience being free here, first time in big league camp, it's been it's been awesome getting to know all these guys and then how they work. It's been a great, great experience.
Speaker 1: How did the Dodgers find a young right hander from Wahaca, Mexico.
Speaker 3: Well, back in twenty nineteen, I used to play with the Diabolos. There was showcase when I was seventeen, so I've played that showcase and they this ads timing.
Speaker 1: Considering how close Los Angeles is to Wahaka and the lineage, the connect the Dodgers have to Mexico because of the great Fernando Valenzuela.
Speaker 2: What was it like for you to be signed by the Dodgers.
Speaker 3: Uh, it was it was an honner since I since I found out I was gonna sign with the with the Dodgers. Uh, it was some great news. And it's it's a nunner too. It's reps in Mexico and my country and in this organization.
Speaker 1: Growing up in Wahaka, did you watch a lot of Major League Baseball?
Speaker 2: Uh?
Speaker 3: Well, yeah, I mean I've since I was born. I've been always surrounded by by this sport and with my family, and yeah, a pretty big fan of the Dodgers since since kid.
Speaker 1: Usually when you're as good as you are baseball and you have a passion for baseball, your dad or your uncle had a big influence on you. Who was the big influence on Jose Rodriguez?
Speaker 2: My dad.
Speaker 3: My dad played in Mexican League for fourteen years. He was a right handed hitter. He used to hit a lot of homers.
Speaker 2: Yeah what's his name?
Speaker 1: Yeah, but you're a pitcher and you're six six.
Speaker 3: Yeah yeah, Well hitting wasn't one of my qualities back then when I was a kid, but yeah, I was like more bitching and he has taught me a lot also from from from this sport.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 3: He was Also when I was born, he was already a GM for for for Tea in Mexico. So I grew up going in the road trips to the team training and having a VP. It's cool experience since I was a kid, the obvious rounded by.
Speaker 1: This Jose Rodriguez from Wajaca, Mexico, twenty three year old right hander and the Dodger organization in his first major league camp.
Speaker 2: And I'm sure you've been able to enjoy all this.
Speaker 1: Have you been able to tap into some of these other pitchers that have experienced major League baseball?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I've talked to most of the guys and get get soaked in in their experience. So it's been it's been pretty pretty cool.
Speaker 1: So I've looked at what you did last year as a starting pitcher. Is that the future for Jose Rodriguez? What of the Dodgers kind of led you to believe, Well.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we've been we've been talking about it. We're gonna keep working in the starting role. But one's uh, one's uh. I'll get here to the to the team, We'll see what in what role I'll be. But I'm trying to do the best for the team. And what's the best. I'm gonna do it.
Speaker 1: So I mentioned Fernando, And when you mentioned Fernando, you mentioned a screwball.
Speaker 2: Does Rodriguez have a screwball? Not a screwball.
Speaker 3: I've been working on my my change up, my change I feel like it's it's been a pretty good pitch.
Speaker 2: But no, not a screwble six six. When you release the ball, you're very close to home plate.
Speaker 1: Uh. I'm sure that's a big advantage for you.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it makes my delivery deceptive, so it helps me a lot.
Speaker 2: What you got fastball slidder? What do you got? Four?
Speaker 3: Seemed to seem slidder, change up in curble?
Speaker 2: Wow, that's a lot.
Speaker 1: Can you name your top three three pitches?
Speaker 3: Top three would be a fastballs up two and my changeup and my best pitch, my slider.
Speaker 2: Let's go. Thank you for the time.
Speaker 1: It's great to introduce you to Dodger fans because they're gonna know your name soon. I've been very impressed by what you've been able to do in big league camp, and I know the Dodgers obviously you think a lot of you to be here.
Speaker 3: No, thank you, thank you David for the for the ptada to Chad and I hope it'll be there soon.
Speaker 1: I'm a great guy from Wahaca, Mexico.
Speaker 2: Thanks a lot for the time, No, thank you, David