Speaker 1: You're listening to k f I, A M six forty wake up call with me Amy King on demand on the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 2: Kf I N K O S T H D two, Los Angeles, Orange County h Would you like to see something strange come with us sun us this time screen, it's time for your morning wake up calls.
Speaker 3: Still here's Amy King.
Speaker 1: This is your wake up call for Wednesday, October thirtieth.
Speaker 4: I'm Amy King.
Speaker 1: I love that song, and I just watched Nightmare before Christmas.
Speaker 4: Again.
Speaker 1: I don't love the movie, but I love that song. So we're one day before Halloween. I'm feeling a little torn because we've got Halloween, We've got Dodgers, and I have closed for both of them. So I brought my Dodgers hat, but I have my Halloween Spirit jersey on.
Speaker 4: It doesn't match, but that's okay.
Speaker 1: So the Yankees finally showed up to the World Series. A couple of bright spots, not many. Freddy Freeman of course, hitting another home run.
Speaker 4: Wow.
Speaker 1: So he's hit a home run in all four of the World Series games and his streak is now at six seven for World Series games home runs.
Speaker 4: Also, the other thing that I thought was so cool last night.
Speaker 1: If you watch the Dodgers Yankees game, was the moment that they did the stand up for Cancer moment, and I was just blown away. I don't know how you felt about it, but the whole stadium, how many people are in their fifty sixty thousand people and everybody's holding up signs to stand up for cancer and put the name of somebody who's been affected by it. And they showed all the players and when they panned by Freddy Freeman and he said my mom of course I started crying, but I just thought that it was a very beautiful moment. And it was very eye opening too because so many people like had three or four of the signs and they had like five or six people on there. It's amazing how pervasive this stupid thing is. And you know, cancer sucks, and they're working to find treatment and preven sure it stand up to cancer. It was a very cool moment, very moving last night. During this series Not So Bright Spot, the fan who tried to grab the ball out of Mookie Beth's a glove when he caught the foul ball, they got kicked out. We'll tell you more about that coming up. Here's what's ahead on wake up call. More than four million people in California have already cast ballots for the November fifth election. The California Secretary of States is twenty one percent of all of California's twenty two point eight million registered voters have already voted. The number is expected to go up quickly as more make it to in person voting locations over the next week. President Biden has responded to a comedian's off color comment about Puerto Rico at former President Trump's rally at Madison Square Garden by saying during a call within Hispanic advocacy group that, in his words, the only garbage I see floating out there is his supporters. Breakout the umbrellas. Southern California is expected to get wet this weekend. A half to three quarters of an inch of rain is expected Saturday into Sunday, with a chance of snow in the mountains above seven thousand feet. Apple intelligence is now available. KTLA's tech reporter Rich Dmiro has been playing with it and is going to let us know what it can do and what it can't yet do. That's coming up at five twenty. McDonald says it's got the e Coli outbreak contained. We're gonna find out what's next for McDonald's and also for the California farm that appears to be the source of the outbreak. That's with ABC's Jim Ryan at five point fifty.
Speaker 4: Just in time for Halloween.
Speaker 1: For Amy's on It, I am on a super super creepy show that is now streaming. It's not Halloween themed, it's just freaky creepy. I'll be telling you about that at the bottom of the hour. And what's the hottest candy? Is it a Milky way Reese's Butterfinger?
Speaker 4: Maybe a TwixT?
Speaker 1: Nope, We're gonna tell you what it is and whether we think it's any good. We have the candy here for taste testing. Coming up during wake up call. Let's get started with some of the stories coming out of the twenty four hour KFI newsroom. The Dodgers are still a win away from clinching the World Series after losing Game four to the Yankees. New York won it eleven to four last night to stave off a sweep. Dodgers manager Dave Roberts says they knew going into the game that the Yankees were not going to be easy beats.
Speaker 5: I don't think anyone expected those guys to lay down, and we had some at bats that I thought could have been better.
Speaker 1: Game five is happening today at Yankee Stadium. First pitch goes out at five oh eight. Police in LA say they're going to be on the lookout for unruly celebrations as the Dodgers get close to winning the World Series in New York. The LAPD says it will activate a command post dedicated to watching and sending out officers to maintain a safe environment for a peaceful celebration. Sheriff Luna says his deputies will give several warnings and dispersal orders, but we'll arrest people who break the law. Past celebrations have included people doing donuts in intersections. Immigrant rights activists have spoken against the nomination of Jim McDonald to lead the LAPD.
Speaker 6: The group's criticized McDonald for his deportation efforts while La County sheriff during the Trump administration, City council woman Unsses Hernandez joined the groups and says LA needs a new sanctuary city law, especially if Trump wins the presidency.
Speaker 1: We don't know what's going to happen next week, and we need to do everything we can to protect the immigrant families and the immigrants here in the City of Los Angeles, because the only reason why we thrive is because of them.
Speaker 6: McDonald spoke to the City Council's Public Safety Committee yesterday as part of the confirmation process. He says he'll work with immigration activists to repair that relationship at LA City Hall.
Speaker 4: Michael Monks KFI News.
Speaker 1: Election officials in La County are urging people to vote early if they can.
Speaker 7: It's a very long ballot and includes everything from the presidential contests down to very localized contests and also an array of statewide ballot measures local ballot measures.
Speaker 1: LA County Registrar Dean Logan says the first one hundred and twenty two in person voting locations are open in La County, and the county is said to open more than five one hundred and more voting centers this weekend. The La County Sheriff's Department is sending more deputies into the field through the election. That's say good morning to Nick Pauli o'keanny, who's crashing at a crashing who is checking out a crash in Rubidou on the sixty he nick, I.
Speaker 3: Am going to be busy one for folks that are making away westbrone right now before Rubeau Boulevard. A couple of cars involved in the wreck lane's are blocking to see rough before you coming off the two fifteen north found out of the UCR area as you're making on the sixty westn Definitely a busy one for you. There got an update on this or anything else. Slowing down your drive bound to fifteen yourself on keyword is KFI traffic westboun side of the ninety one. You know the drill already a busy one riverside do Corona for you from as far back as Tyler Stretches is slowing beyond the fifteen and the seventy one as you make your over toward the two forty one toll road, and also checking out your drive as you're making away south on on the fifteen getting through the Cahoon Pass, slow going for you and Stretches leave in about Oak Hill passing the Cahoon Pass the one thirty eight as you make you a toward halfway between clay Corn and ken Wood. Southern California's only Everyone traffic Reports. I'm Nick paulo'keaney.
Speaker 4: Thanks you, Maik.
Speaker 1: It's five eight on your Wednesday morning wake up call. Let's say good morning to ABC's Jordana Miller in Jerusalem. So, Giordana, there's a new head of Hezbollah.
Speaker 5: That's right. His name is Niam Kassim. He served as Hesbala's deputy right under Hassan Nostralla, who Israel assassinated some weeks ago. He's been in the organization for thirty years. He's part of the religious Shura council. He was trained as a chemist. He doesn't really have a military background, if you will. He's a very recognizable figure within Hasbalah. But we have to say he is not the kind of charismatic leader that Nostralla was, and he doesn't have the same kind of regional influence and ties with aaran with hamas leaders and so you know, this is a replacement. But really for Hasbella, not the same kind of caliber of leader that they had for you know, decades.
Speaker 1: Does he have the same stance as the previous one.
Speaker 5: He does, He doesn't seem to be showing any more flexibility. If you will on ending the fighting with Israel across the you know, from southern Lebanon and in parts of Beirute. He's essentially said, you know, we will only end the fighting when there's a seafire in Gaza, which was an Estralla's position. And he is no less strident against what he called, you know, the Israeli enemy, they're aggression. Uh, you know, so he's not he's not by any means a more moderate leader. And you know he was only announced yes as the new leader of Husbola, and already the Israeli Defense Minister put up a picture of him and said, well, he's he's he's a temporary leader. In other words, we're probably going.
Speaker 8: To take him out.
Speaker 5: Right, So you can see that the you know, the war of words and on the battlefield is continuing, right. There's today Israel issued new evacuation order. They're going after arms depots, and we're continuing to see intense combat in southern Lebanon.
Speaker 1: Okay, So, Jordana, I'm curious, because you watch all of this so closely, we know that when they took out Israla, there was talk that maybe there was some opportunity to bring a resolution to all of this because he wasn't there. And with this new guy in, even though he's talking the same talk because he's not as charismatic and doesn't have the connections that NAZRAELA had, will could he end up being a little more pliable or does he? Or is it just across the board that that's the stance that they're going to keep and and they're sticking to their guns, so to speak.
Speaker 5: Well, I think that's a good point. I mean, maybe we'll see nine Cossam show some more moderation, but I think the only thing that's going to change has Balla's position is you know, their concern with surviving, right, Israel has significantly set them back their leadership, their top leadership, their middle leadership. They've definitely degraded their rocket capabilities, their missile capabilities. His ball still has you know, thousands of rockets and missiles, but it's not the arsenal that Israel feared a year ago, right because before Israel went in on the ground, we didn't cover it every day because we were focused on Gaza. But there's been a consistent back and forth of you know, bombing by Israel of southern Lebanon, and has balifying rocket. So they've gone through a lot and Israel's destroyed a lot, and so I think Hasbala will end up, I think, being forced to negotiate a diplomatic solution along the border out of the need to really survive this war with Israel. And I think that's going to be the guiding principle and not necessarily some ideological change. Hasbala will never accept the state of Israel or its presence in this region, and I think that's clear to everybody at the table. But Hasbala is not only you know, a kind of cancer for Israel, but it really is for Lebanon and for the region, and that includes, you know, for Egypt, for Jordan. So the fact that Israel has been able to weaken them significantly is a plus not just for Israel, but for the West, for the Sunni States. And I think, you know, we're going to I think the diplomatic process that's going on right now, there's a huge push for Israel and Lebanon UH to try to come to some kind of terms, to come to a diplomatic solution, and we see President by the making a final push. He's sending almost Holkstein Brett McGirk back to the region. They're going to meet with Israelis tomorrow. They'll likely go on to Beirute if they can set you know, set down some of the framework for a deal that can be worked on in this administration or the next. That's what they're going to try to do. So that's the best way to really ensure the end.
Speaker 1: Of the Okay, Jordana, thank you so much as always for all of the information, and we will continue.
Speaker 4: To be watching. Talk to you soon, Talk soon, Kim High.
Speaker 1: Let's get back to some of the stories coming out of the KFI twenty four Our news from the La City Council has approved a motion to stop evictions for the remodeling of a housing unit. Council members voted eleven to then yesterday to get the Housing Department and the City Attorney's office to update the just Cause for Eviction ordinance. Right now, the city terms a substantial remodel as a no fault eviction, meaning tenants can be evicted if their unit needs work and the property owner self certifies that it's going to take thirty days or more to finish. Council members say that is unfair to tenants. FEMA and cal Oees have offered forty two million dollars towards a voluntary property buyout program for homes impacted by landslides in Rancho Palace verties.
Speaker 9: The program applies to homes in the Greater Portuguese Bend area and we'll cover seventy five percent of the buyout. The homeowner will be responsible for the remaining quarter. Mayor John Crookshank says certain homes will have top priorities.
Speaker 8: The very top of the list are red tag homes, then the yellow tagged homes, and then those that have been de energized.
Speaker 9: The homes bought by the city will be demolished and houses will never again be built on the lot. Homeowners interested in applying need to schedule an inspection by November fourth and submit an application by November eighth. Chris Adler KFI.
Speaker 1: News researchers have linked more than half of the DDT found in sixty species of fish to send a sediment near a chemical dump site off the coast of LA One.
Speaker 10: Hundreds of tons of the now banned toxic chemical were dumped decades ago. Script's lead researcher, Lilian McGill says The findings can help inform consumption advisories on which fish caught near the massive dump site that people should not eat, things like.
Speaker 7: White croker or benthic fish that sort of live right at the sediment, and this will be things like turbot or sand.
Speaker 4: Dab or halibate.
Speaker 10: Thousands of barrels of DDT were found in the ocean near Catalina Island in twenty twenty before researchers estimated the dump site to be two times larger than in Manhattan.
Speaker 4: Corbin Carson caff I News.
Speaker 1: Three free electric driverless shuttles are headed to Riverside. City officials say the zero emission shuttles will start a two year test period in January. The four wheel shuttles look like a condensed subway car with sliding side doors and can reach thirty one miles per hour. The city is looking into sending them out at UC Riverside downtown and near the airport.
Speaker 11: Bets with a one on double in scoring position for Freddy Freeman, who was driven in seven of the Dodgers' fourteen runs in the series. Swing in a belted ball the right field looking toward the corner.
Speaker 12: Freddie Freeman simply unstoppable. He points to the ball Penalsy rounds the bases for an MLB record six consecutive World Series game after a home run.
Speaker 1: Well, that was a bright spot last night, but the Yankees stayed alive in the World Series with an eleven four or Game four win over the Dodgers. Game five is tonight again in New York. The first pitch goes out at five oh eight. You can listen to the game live from the Galpin Motors Broadcast Booth on AM five to seventy LA Sports and NHD on the iHeartRadio app keyword AM five seventy LA Sports. LA City Council's Public Safety Committee has voted to advance Mayor Bass's nomination for the Chief of the LAPD. Former Los Angeles County Sheriff Jim McDonald's nomination will now go before the full City Council. A senior at west Ridge High School in Pasadena has been named the twenty twenty five Rose Queen. Lindsey Charles will lead the seven member court as ambassadors for the one hundred and sixth Rose Parade and Rose Bull Game on New Year's Day at six oh Five's handle on the News Governor Newsom has announced a whole lot more money being dedicated to fighting homelessness. LA's getting hundreds of millions of dollars. Let's say good morning now to the host of Rich on Tech on KFI KTLAS Tech reporter Rich DeMuro, Good morning.
Speaker 13: Rich, Good morning to you.
Speaker 5: Amy.
Speaker 1: So Apple finally unveiled it's Apple Intelligence a month or so after the new phones came out.
Speaker 13: Yes, and many months after Samsung and Google have had theirs, but that doesn't really matter to iPhone users because this is fresh for them. So yes, Apple Intelligence now available through a software update iOS eighteen point one. This will work on the iPhone fifteen Pro models and also the iPhone sixteen models. So you do have to have a relatively new phone to take advantage of this. And once you update your software, you do have to opt in. It takes a little bit, but then I'll say, oh, Apple Intelligence is available, do you want to use it? And you say yes, And then you can have all these new things, which there's a couple today writing tools. This lets you rewrite stuff, summarize text. Siri has a new design, so when you press the Seri button now it'll light up like around the edge of your screen. It glows. That's pretty cool. You can search your photos in an easier way. There's a tools so you can remove unwanted objects from your photos, emails to be summarized, and you can record phone calls now, which is pretty cool.
Speaker 1: Really Okay, So I've seen because I did the update, because we talked last week, and I've seen a couple of times where it says use AI to do this, and I always go.
Speaker 4: Huh no, So I need to venture out. So what would be a good thing to dip my toe in. Well, for those of us you are still leary of AI.
Speaker 13: You can just like start writing a text message and then select the text that you wrote. So say like something really simple like want to come over and hang out, And then you can select that text and you'll get a new option that says writing tools. You might have to scroll over and then they'll say do you want to proofread this? Do you want to rewrite it? Do you want to make this friendly, professional, concise, summarize key points list table? So anywhere there is text on your phone, anywhere there's a text box, you can select that text and use those writing tools. So anything about this is that if you've been using AI to kind of help you write things. Now it's all in one place. You don't have to hop between apps, which is neat the cleanup tool in the photos that's an easy one to just try out. Just go into your photos, find an image that has something that's you know, you just want to RaSE a person or whatever, and then just tap the little cleanup tool in the edit menu and you can watch it just disappear. And the animation is really fun. That's like the best part is the animation. It's like this cool glittery or glowy animation that it does.
Speaker 1: Okay, you know, I did notice in the in the update that photos is different.
Speaker 4: I got to figure it out.
Speaker 1: There's something wonky about it, like it used to say edit and now it doesn't.
Speaker 13: Yes, you are absolutely right. That's thrown a lot of people off. It's in the lower Yeah, it's in the lower bottom middle and it's like three little lines like almost like adjustments.
Speaker 14: Right.
Speaker 13: But yes, and also the photos app is really different. People are very upset because the photos app is completely different. My advice is to go scroll all the way down to where it says customize and reorder and basically hide everything except for the stuff that you want, because they put a lot of nonsense in there. Now, all I want is my photos and my favorites, Like you couldn't. I couldn't even find my favorites for like twenty minutes.
Speaker 4: Yeah okay, so it wasn't just me.
Speaker 1: I feel better now, yeah okay, okay, So back to the AI thing. They so they've rolled out some cool new features, but don't they have some things that aren't yet ready to go?
Speaker 5: Yes.
Speaker 13: Yes, this is a very slow rollout. So coming in December, you'll be able to generate emojis from like if you want like a person, you know, whatever, you're talking with a friend and you're having sushi and you want to make a sushi donut, you can make that whatever. You can make images, you can chat with chat ebt. So that's all coming in December. This has been a very slow rollout. Apple is being very deliberate with this because we've seen so many issues with AI. I think that they are just trying to be very slow methodical about this because already people are posting their notification summaries, which can be pretty wonky, and so you know, they just don't want a big issue with all this stuff going viral.
Speaker 1: Okay, all right, and then let's move over to Chrome because Chrome is now going to protect you.
Speaker 13: Yes, this is a feature that's been in Chrome for a while, but I don't think a lot of people know about it. And it actually I did a little test the other day. I got like one of those spam emails and I clicked the same link in both Chrome and on my iPhone on Safari, and Chrome immediately put up this big red screen and said this is dangerous. Do not click this link. And it made me go through like three more clicks to actually click the link. And I knew it was bad, but you know, I know what I'm doing, so it was okay. On Safari, it just let me go right to it. I said, ooh, that's really bad. For people that are a little bit less tech savvy or that want to be protected from themselves, it's nice to have that protection. And so Google offers something called safe Browsing. The the default setting is on by I guess the basic setting is on by default, but the highest setting is called Enhanced Protection, and this will protect you from things that Google hasn't even discovered yet. So let's say you're the first person to ever get this spam email with this bad link in it. AI will kick in to actually recognize that that link is bad and be like, Okay, this is not this is a phishing email. Let's protect this person.
Speaker 4: So it's altbe for the good guys.
Speaker 13: Yeah, it's a little step above. So anyway, I put the directions on my Facebook page Facebook dot com slash rich on tech on how to enable that. It's pretty simple, you go into your Chrome settings. But I think if you're not super tech savvy, it's probably a good thing to turn on.
Speaker 1: I think that sounds great because, you know, until they figure out another way to get around it.
Speaker 4: But anything that we can.
Speaker 1: Do to keep ourselves safe and not fall victims to scams is a good thing. You can find out many more tech tips with our host of Rich on Tech every Saturday from eleven to two right here on KFI. You can also see them on KTLA and follow up on Instagram at rich on Tech and as he mentioned, his website rich on tech dot tv with lots and lots of great tech tips.
Speaker 13: Thank you, Rich Thanks, Amy appreciate it.
Speaker 1: Okay, here's what we're following in the KFI twenty four hour news from USA Today has become the latest paper to not endorse a candidate for president. Gennett Media Company says it believes America's future is decided locally and that its job is to give readers the facts and trusted information that readers need to make informed decisions. It follows similar moves made by The La Times and Washington Post. Seven inmates at Men's Central Jail and Downtown LA been taken to the hospital because of a suspected drug overdose. One of them is in critical condition. Seven LA County Sheriff's deputies also were taken to the hospital with symptoms of exposure. Three weeks ago, an inmate died seven others suffered possible drug overdoses at the jail.
Speaker 4: Something stulely what.
Speaker 1: The actor, best known for her roles in Young Frankenstein, Mister Mom and Tutsie, has died. Her publicist says Terry Garr died in Los Angeles yesterday following a long battle with multiple sclerosis. Terry Gar was seventy nine, always one of my favorites. At five point fifty. McDonald says, it's back on track. We're going to find out what's next for McDonald's and for the California farm that appears to be the source of the E Coli outbreak with ABC's Jim Ryanami.
Speaker 4: On it, Dami's on it, Daimi's on it, Damie's on it. What am I on?
Speaker 1: I'm on streaming things, movies, documentaries, series, sometimes regular TV. In fact, I'm gonna I have some regular TV thoughts to share coming up.
Speaker 4: But today I'm.
Speaker 1: On Woman of the Hour, Woman of the Hour by Netflix. So it's Anna Kendrick's directorial debut. You'll remember her from Pitch Perfect and several other or she's cute and spunky. Well, this is a different kind of movie. She stars and directs in the movie, it's about a serial killer who goes on the dating game. It's set in the late nineteen seventies. The serial killer is Rodney al Calla. And I gotta tell you whoever the guy the actress and I don't have his name with me right now, but yeah, he does a good job because he is cree p You may remember the name Rodney al Kala because the movie is based on a true story. It is creepy and it is unsettling from the very start, Like within the first few minutes of the show, like you get that weird pit in your stomach, and I went, oh, I don't know if I can watch this movie because it's just creepy. It follows him as he finds and stalks and kills and Anna Kendrick's character, Cheryl Bradshaw, is an aspiring actor who really isn't having a whole lot of luck in Hollywood. And then her agent says, hey, going on the dating game. It'll be really good for you. So she goes on the dating game. And I will tell you too, the dating game that they should depict in this movie is not the dating game that I remember seeing on TV when I was a young child. It would be interesting to see if that's how things really were in the late seventies. I'm guessing it probably was, but it does not paint it in a very positive light. It's not a slasher movie. It's a thriller, and like I said, it is chilling. And I don't want to tell you anything else about this because it is super creepy and as I mentioned, super unsettling. And it's a really great watch, some good twists and turns, some tragic stuff. If you're not familiar with the story. I don't want to ruin it for you. It is good. It's called Woman of the Hour. It just dropped last week on Netflix. That's what I'm on. I think you should be on it too. Let's get back to some of the stories coming out of the KFI twenty four hour newsroom. A law firm says it's audit of La County's contracting process has found no systemic pattern of corruption. The county hired a law firm in twenty twenty two to do the audit following the indictment of former supervisor Mark Ridley Thomas on fraud and bribery charges. The auditors do say they have identified some processes in the county systems and controls that can be improved. They say there are weaknesses in the process of awarding third party contracts that leave the county susceptible to fraud, corruption, and conflicts of interest. The group Doctors Against Genocide is calling out Children's Hospital Orange County for staying silent as children and healthcare workers are killed in Gaza.
Speaker 9: The group is demanding an immediate ceasefire protection for children and physicians in Gaza, and in arms embargo against Israel registered nurse RWDA sweiss as she feels helpless watching innocent children starving in Palestine.
Speaker 1: The injustices that are happening to people and raze, and the silence that our healthcare community has taken is a crime to stay silent.
Speaker 9: Pediatricians and nurses gathered outside of Chalk yesterday, saying money and fear have kept doctors in the US from speaking out against the genocide. More than forty three thousand people have been killed in the war in Gaza, more than half being women and children. Chris Adler kf I News.
Speaker 1: Vice President Harris has made her final campaign pitch with less than a week from election day. She spoke yesterday at the Ellipse in Washington, d C. She pledged to put country ahead of party.
Speaker 9: I'll be honest with you.
Speaker 5: I'm not perfect.
Speaker 4: I make mistakes, but here's what I promised you. I will always listen to.
Speaker 9: You, even even if you don't vote for me.
Speaker 1: Harris promised to fight for Americans every day if she's elected next week.
Speaker 4: Robert F.
Speaker 1: Kennedy Junior says former President Trump has promised him control of the government's public health agencies if Trump is elected to office.
Speaker 4: Next week.
Speaker 8: The key to that, I think, you know, the President Trump has promised me is a control of the public health agencies, which are HHS and at sub agencies.
Speaker 1: Kennedy says that would be the CDC, FDA, NIH and others such as the US Department of Agriculture. A study shows smartphones might be better than brain games to help older people keep sharp minds. Researchers at the University of Texas in Arizona, Arizona State Rather found that digital reminders can help reprove a person's ability to remember to do things like taking medication and going to appointments. They found that having access to reminders like those on a phone can make life easier for older adults. I gotta teach my mom still how to use her cell phone. You know, some people just take to it. My mom has not, and she's like, Amy, how do I do this?
Speaker 4: She's kind of fun. Okay, So candy this year.
Speaker 1: I was a little surprised by this because you know, they do the surveys of what the best candy is and what your favorites are, and I'm thinking, you know, Milky Way, my favorite has always been like Butterfinger Snickers are pretty good Twixt's kit kats, those.
Speaker 4: Kinds of things.
Speaker 1: But the really popular candy this year is this one right here, Nerds gummy clusters. So I thought i'd go get some because I've never I'd never even heard of them, and I wanted to try them and have have Cono and try them too.
Speaker 4: And I went to the.
Speaker 1: Story yesterday to where all the Halloween candy is and they didn't have any, so I'm wondering if maybe they've already sold out. I did find them at the checkout counter, So this little bag cost me three dollars, but it was for show prep, so I justified it. So I thought we should test Nerds Gummy clusters, and have you tried yours yet?
Speaker 4: No, I was gonna do it with you guys. Okay, everybody shake a mouthful cono. This is one of my favorite candies. Really, you love it already. I love it. I get the family pack, and I shouldn't I eat it all to myself. My god, this is so good. Okay.
Speaker 1: So it's the little nerds, the little nuggets that looked like big sand yeah, and then it's got like a gummy in the middle. It's awesome and it's tangy bull sour. But I like the sour. Yeah, it makes it This is ridiculous. It makes it almost refreshing. I love all that sour, the sweet and sour.
Speaker 4: Yeah. Okay, so those are really good. All right, so thanks Amy. No I like another candy.
Speaker 1: I know, right well, I mean I usually like the chocolate e things, but this is, like I said, it's it's not as heavy as the chocolate, which also makes it dangerous because I could just shovel it into my mouth for you know, repeatedly as I'm staying on the couch.
Speaker 4: Okay, Nerds gummy clusters. Who knew?
Speaker 1: Uh here's another fan of Nerds gummy clusters. I just found this out, Nick Poliochani Okay.
Speaker 3: Can I tell you the weirdest thing ever though that I've done a deep dive real quick. You know fer Aerra Rochet, the chocolate candy. Yeah, they actually bought Nerds from Nestley back in nineteen ninety eight.
Speaker 1: So it was a good investment because now the coment worth it's five hundred million dollars correct?
Speaker 3: How wild is that?
Speaker 13: Though?
Speaker 3: Like to think like this fancy bougie like candy like chocolate Candy Company bought nerds from Nesli, where you would think they would want it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, exactly opposite the rochet and Nerds gummy clusters.
Speaker 3: And then they launched this back in twenty twenty, the Nerds gummy cluster, because they wanted to create something new like from Nerds they did. Yeah, and Brian loves these, like you know, but like for me because these are like grape nuts of candy to me, to think like nerds to me are like grape nuts of candy. Okay, so yeah, I think it's great though. And then the Nerds the ropes. The ropes are always fun. My nieces love the Nerds ropes, which are pretty much the Nerds gummy clusters, but in long rope form.
Speaker 1: Then they're covered with nerds the same way.
Speaker 3: Yeah, exactly. So if you think of like like the red vines, but in more like a gummy form, and they're just covered in nerds and they're delicious and they're so much fun.
Speaker 1: All right, we'll have to give those to try. Oh, I can't wait to try all the Halloween candy. Well, the Dodgers can put away the brooms. The Yankees clobber to La in Game four of the World Series last night, eleven to four. Game five is tonight again in New York. A Dodgers win earns the Dodgers the World Series title. A loss sends the series back to Los Angeles for Game six on Friday night. The man who attacked Nancy Pelosi's husband with a hammer will spend the rest of his life in prison. A judge in the state trial handed down the sentence on David de Papp's aggravated kidnapping conviction in his twenty twenty two attack on Paul Pelosi. De pap was previously sentenced to thirty years in prison in his federal case. Heavy rain and snow is expected in northern California as the first significant storm of the season rolls in. The storm's expected to bring heavy rain along the northern coast, up to twelve inches of snow in the mountains near Mount Shasta and three to six inches of snow nearly Lake Tahoe. We're just minutes away from handle. On the news this morning, President Biden. Biden has had his deplorables moment, calling Trump supporters garbage. Let's say good morning now to ABC's Jim Ryan. Well, after a nightmare of a week of e Coli removing items from their menu and a big hit in the stock market. McDonald's finally has something good to report.
Speaker 8: Well, yeah, the quarter pounder is back, and amy back at every restaurant with goodness. See Yeah, every McDonald's in the country has it again in nine hundred locations, primarily in Colorado, Utah. I think maybe Wyhooming it won't have the raw Onions center that it had before because there's still that apprehension about the raw onions has the likely source of an Equali outbreak that's made seventy five people are hurt, made them sick. One person has died. We know of other illnesses now, one fifteen year old in Colorado who says that after she ate a quarter pound er, she's suffering severe liver failure now and hoping to recover from that. So as hard as the CEO has been trying to limit the damage from this in a pr way, at least they are still facing some headwinds.
Speaker 4: Okay.
Speaker 1: The person who died from this, I know it was an older person eighty I believe, Oh, okay, And so do they know what it was that the the Ecali tax attacks internal organs?
Speaker 8: Yes, Okay, it does. Yeah, it's a serious, serious thing. And you know, we've been hearing a lot about different kinds of outbreaks lately. Equalize this spurred. It causes problems from the intestinal lining and is transferred from one person to another mainly by lack of hygiene. Listeria is another one out there, Nora virus salmon ellen. We hear about all of these related to food borne illnesses, some of them striking restaurants, others striking people's homes. But yeah, E Coli is a very serious one. It can be deadly, as we've learned.
Speaker 1: Yeah, okay, so you said that the restaurants are going to put the quarter powder pounder back on the menu, but without the raw onions.
Speaker 4: Are they going to use like cooked onions or.
Speaker 8: Just no no onions, just no onions at all on that apparently? I mean, I don't think you could even asked for them to be put on. But in nine hundred of the locations, you know that something like one in five McDonald's restaurants pulled them. They pulled the quarter pounder all together. Now it's back on at all of them, but at nine hundred of them, nine hundred of that, what is it twenty seven, twenty eight hundred, the onions are still oft. And we also know, of course that other restaurant chains Togco, Belt, KFC, Pizza, Hut, Burger King, they all pulled those onions off as well because they were being supplied by the same company. So it's it's kind of affected the whole fast food industry.
Speaker 4: Ay, and Taco Bell without onions, that's a problem.
Speaker 8: It is raw onions. They're a major part of Taco Bell.
Speaker 4: Okay.
Speaker 1: So the onion farm that you said that they were traced back to is in northern California. Did they figure out exactly what the sources or have they said yet?
Speaker 8: Yeah, they've they've had, you know, issues, this Taylor Farms company there in northern California, and it was a processing facility in Colorado where those onions came from. So, you know, poor Taylor Farms. They're trying to repair its image as well, doing everything it can to clean up its act and try to get back on its feet. For McDonald's. You know, we'll have to see how long the damage lasts from this, because I mean we've heard about other issues at different change as we talk about I mean in Chipotle, remember that there's an equally outbreak there. It started in twenty fifteen years of damage done to the public relations effort there, twenty five million dollar fine. So you know McDonald's is hoping not to follow that kind of example.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and for that farm, do you think they're going to lose their contract with McDonald's or do we know that?
Speaker 12: Well?
Speaker 1: You know, can they because they like we talked about the supply of onions that they need.
Speaker 4: Can they cancel the contract?
Speaker 8: Well?
Speaker 4: They could.
Speaker 8: I mean there are other sources out there, other suppliers and contractors who could bring in the onions. I think Taylor Farms was chosen probably for a lot of reasons, the price, the availability, you know, their ability to deliver to hundreds of locations. So, you know, could they lose the Tailor Farm's contract potentially, could they change it to a different one. I mean, at those nine hundred locations, they've essentially lost Tailor Farms altogether.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Okay, And the good news is quarterback pounders are back on the menu and hopefully nice and safe.
Speaker 8: Well let's hope.
Speaker 1: So.
Speaker 8: I mean, you walk into a restaurant, you expect good food. It tastes good, and you expect a good to get the value for your dollar. But at the heart of everything, I mean, you expect not to get sick from eating there. Yeah, you know, that's the pr nightmare of any rush.
Speaker 1: It'll be interesting to see what what their sales do like over the next few months. Like you said, it just about killed Chipotle. They did come back. But you know when you walk in and you go, hmmm, is this burger going to be fine or is it going to make me sick? You know, I mean, like, how is that going to affect people's buying habits?
Speaker 8: Well, right now, it doesn't seem to be. It didn't didn't affect the bottom line. They just reported the third quarter sales and they were three percent six point eight billion dollars worldwide. But that, of course is right before this whole thing broke loose. If you look at last week, foot traffic through the doors at all McDonald's was down about nine nine and a half percent, and much higher than that in those locations specifically that were cited as equalized sources.
Speaker 1: All right, Jim Ryan, thank you so much. Appreciate it to you. Let's get back to some of the stories coming out of the KFI twenty four hour newsroom. Governor Newsom has set aside more money for homelessness in LA.
Speaker 6: The city gets one hundred and sixty million dollars in the county ninety seven million in the latest round of state funding. Newsom joined Mayor Bass and other local leaders on skid Road to make that announcement, where the governor acknowledged the people of California want to see more results.
Speaker 8: No one is denine how angry people are, how frustrated they are, and how heartbroken they are.
Speaker 6: The cities of Long Beach, Pasadena, and Glendale will also get money through their homeless consortiums. The governor says. Funds for Orange County are still pending at ELI, said Michael Monks KFI News.
Speaker 1: Zero Emission Transit says last week's World Series traffic in LA could have been minimized if fans had the Dodgers gondola. Spokesman Nathan Klicks as people don't want to be stuck in traffic or walk far on game day.
Speaker 14: The gondola would take ten thousand people to and from the Dodger Stadium. It would mean a twenty percent reduction in car traffic on game day.
Speaker 1: Click says seventy two percent of people in La support the gondola, especially residents who don't want to change their schedules whenever there's an event at the stadium. He says, if the gondola project is built, it'll be operational in time for the twenty twenty eight Olympics. Two Yankees fans with front row seats to last night's Game four of the World Series didn't get to stick around to see their Yankees win. They got ejected from the stadium after interfering with Dodgers outfielder Mookie Betts while he was making a play on a foul ball down the right field line. It happened in the bottom of the first inning. As Bets went to catch the ball against the wall. One fan grabbed Betts's glove and didn't let go until he pried the ball out of the glove. The other fan grabbed Bets's right hand and wristed as the ball was being pulled out. The umpires said that was fan interference and ruled that the batter was out. The Yankees went on to win eleven to four, forcing a must win Game five. I saw the video of that. I missed it. I had the game on, but I missed that catch. That was absolutely crazy watching him reach into the glove and pry the ball out of the glove.
Speaker 4: Just crazy.
Speaker 1: The number of job o winnings fell in September. The labor departments is fewer than seven and a half million jobs were available, which is a drop of more than four hundred thousand from the previous month's revised tally. That's the lowest level since January of twenty twenty one. This is KFI and KOSTHD two Los Angeles, Orange count We lead local live from the KFI twenty four hour newsroom.
Speaker 4: I'm Amy King.
Speaker 1: This has been your wake up call, and if you missed any wake up call, you can listen anytime on the iHeartRadio app. For me, I'm going to go have some nerds gummy clusters delicious. You've been listening to wake Up Call with me, Amy King. You can always hear wake Up Call five to six am Monday through Friday on KFI AM six forty and anytime on demand on the iHeartRadio app.