Speaker 1: Six thirty eight on a Friday, special time of the week to be tuned into the fifty five CARC Morning Show Tenfoil Dave Hat or Tech Friday with Dave Hatter, brought to you by his company Interest I vote voted number one by the Business Curve. You need text support for your business. You got problems with computers. Somebody's hacked into it. You need best practices whatever it happens to be. Dave and the team are there to help you out at intrustit dot com. Welcome back, Dave Hatter. It's always a pleasure to have you on my program.
Speaker 2: Always my pleasure to be here, Brian, always pleasure.
Speaker 1: Hey, I read about it yesterday in the Wall Street Journal. I brought it up and real quick here before we dive into the topics you gave us about. The Chinese Communist Party has an ability to communicate with our green infrastructure. The solar panels and all these other components have apparently built in software and can be put to the various purposes. They say, could hack into the systems and shut down grids. I mean it's really alarming.
Speaker 2: I agree with you wholeheartedly. All that break you may recall Brian, it hasn't been that long. And we've talked about it multiple times about Chinese electric vehicles. And you may know this if you spend any time looking empty so called Internet of things or aka smart devices, this has been a common theme we've talked about. You know, these things all have software in them. That software and you know hardware that the software runs on. These things could have back doors. I think we talked about the Unitary robot from China with the back doors they found and in and you know, my bigger point is that, yeah, anything that has software is potentially vulnerable, and when it's coming from an adversarial country like China, you know, that's just upsy ante And then to see this story break and you know, my one of my biggest concerns when you think about critical infrastructure is the power grid because it drives everything else right literally and if if you can knock out the power grid, you potentially, you know, shut down the whole country. So yeah, I think it's very concerning. I mean, I guess the good news is at this point not an enormous amount of our power is generated by Soul organ There are about one hundred percent attendent on that, but the bad news is it's an increasing component of the overall grid.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and the.
Speaker 2: Idea that there would be back doors built into these things that would allow remote control, including shutting it down, is that I'm pretty disturbing. And we'll just tell people look no further than stuck sent and what we did to the Ranians exactly.
Speaker 1: And the article also noted how much the European Union is dependent upon the solar and wind power, all of which are impacted by this or potentially impacted by this. But if the power doesn't work, you can't trade in bitcoin either, and so we pivot over to bitcoin ATM fraud in Arizona. What's the story on this one, Dave.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Well, so one last quick point on that is, you know, this is a perfect example, Brian of a why we need to be skeptical about so called smart devices and they need to be thoroughly vivident. B We've got to reshure and start making things here so we don't have to worry about these threats, right. Yeah, So this this is a scam, and you know, it's just more of the same old thing of you know, you get some kind of text, email, phone call, whatever. Scammers will come at you in whatever medium they can find you in and then tell you, you know, where the FBI, where the I R S, where's your local sheriff's office, whatever, and you know you've got to find a warrant fill in the blank. And then they want to send you to an ATM that can issue bitcoin so that you can exchange your cash or credit for bitcoin and send the bitcoin.
Speaker 1: Yeah, people still fall for.
Speaker 2: That, Apparently they do. Apparently there's you know, there a lot of reporting out of Arizona. You know, there aren't that many bitcoin based ATMs around, but there are out there, and they're not too hard to find.
Speaker 1: The point being though, what no agency in government that has that level of authority would ask you to go over and get bitcoin out through an online transaction to pay off this alleged fine. And that's the laughable part about it. No, they won't do that.
Speaker 2: I agree with you. I don't understand how it is that people don't get that yet, and that I mean, just just the ridiculousness of the whole thing. You know, you have a problem fill in the blank of problem, and some bad thing is going to happen, you know, fill in the blank. If you don't get bitcoin or fill in the blank in this case bitcoin by a certain time. Yeah, I'll just encourage everyone that can hear us talking this morning, go to the IRS website i RS dot gov and see what they say about how they will contact you. They will not call you, they will not email you, they will not text you and tell you that you have back taxes. But hey, everything will be fine if you just go get some bitcoins and they won't do that.
Speaker 1: You know, maybe it's a state of ignorance brought about by our failing education system. Dave, I don't know. I'm left in I'm just left to wonder about that. You know, I feel for most, most notably senior. You can't stay up with technology and think that this may be a real thing.
Speaker 2: Now, Yeah, it's it's hard to understand. And you know, the best advice is always be skeptical and to the extent you can stay aware of these scam The next best advice is to understand, no legitimate government agency is going to send you to an APM to get bitcoin or paying gift cards or anything like that. And do you have any doubt about that? Yeah, you know, if you have any doubt about something like that, stop go out of band, you go. Let's let's say it's the Kenton County Chef's office that's telling you there's a warrant and you're going to get arrested if you don't send a big points you go.
Speaker 1: It's not how you get out of it, for Rest. It's got to be adjudicated in court. Red flags, red flags, you know what, just ignore them completely. If it's legitimate, they will come knocking on your front door. If it's a law enforcement related issue, or if it's the case the irs, you will get a hard copy piece of paper delivered in the mail. Pause we'll bring We'll bring Dave back.
Speaker 2: Then you go there and talk to him in person or call him on a number you could verify right, and they'll tell you it's a scam.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they will, so confirm your suspicions. Run with your suspicions. We'll bring you back. Apple supporting brain control devices. This is frightening stuff. Brave new world we are facing. That's next with Tech Friday's Dave Hatter six. If you got their city Talks station introt it dot com, that's where you find Tech Friday's Dave Hatter. Dave I'm going to be a hard no on this one. There is no way I'm getting a brain implant.
Speaker 2: Well, Brian, I'm going to be a hard right there with you.
Speaker 1: Hey, guys can count on you.
Speaker 2: So let's uh, let's go back to the last story, or really where we started with the Chinese Communist Party backdoors in the solar panels. Okay, how long have we been doing this show, Brian? A long time?
Speaker 1: Right, very long? Yeah?
Speaker 2: And how many times have we talked about some kind of software of vulnerability that creates a problem a lot because hackers get exploited? Do you really think do you really think where we're at today. I'm not saying there might not come a time one hundred years from now when something like this would be a lot more difficult to hack. But if you think that some where we're at today, you could have one hundred percent trust that some sort of brain implant could not be hacked somehow to either make you do things you don't want to do. And again, I'm not a neuroscientist. I don't know that much about exactly what they're doing other than they're trying to build an interface between you know, directly between your brain and external devices like neuralink, and in this case, Apple is working with a company called synchron But yeah, with this, I just I have to keep reiterating to people all the time. One of the reasons why we're in the mess we're in with all this technology is because this stuff is still fairly immature in the history of the human race, right. I mean, it's really only been maybe fifty years since you've had widespread use of technology, and really, you know, thirty years since the Internet and everything has turned digital. All of the technology that makes everything work and it's Internet related is all really old. It was designed in the late sixties and early seventies for the most part. And security, privacy, all these things we care about today because everything is digital and because these tech people want to connect directly to your brain, we're designed without security in mind, and thus we have inherently insecure underlying technologies. You've got to do all this stuff to try to secure it. And you know, I could we could do hours of talking about vulnerabilities found in various products and the Internet of Things in particular. So this becomes the ultimate Internet of things, right, because you become an object in the Internet things if you have some sort of brain implant that allows you to interface directly with these external devices. And yeah, I'm like you, I'm a hard knowing this. I understand what they purportedly claim. The rationale for this is, you know, it's it's going to let people who have some sort of disability interact with their devices live in more normal life. See again here again, et cetera. Right, But yeah, we're just out of place where there is no way I would trust something like this. And if you every day here in the recent past, as we become more and more dependent on this stuff, you see more and more examples where researchers find a flaw on this. There's a problem with that. Oh look, here's another thing that came from China that seems to have some sort of vulnerability or back door in it. Not a chance I would do something like this.
Speaker 1: Yet the brain chip would convince you that the Chinese Communist Party philosophy of politics is a good thing.
Speaker 2: Well maybe again, I'm no neuroscientists. I don't know, you know, if I would just say this, I mean, again, not a scientist operating at this level. I'm just a dumb programmer that tries to tell people to protect their assets and be aware of and take these things seriously. But you know, if I can send a signal to the device and make it do something, and it does something, well, it has to send that feedback to me. Now, I guess if I have fight, I could see that and potentially act accordingly. But if I'm blind, it would have to be able to send some kind of signal back to my brain to tell me that it did it, and they wait for the next step, right, So there would have to be at least some sort of two way communication and knowing that, yeah, not a chance I would do that.
Speaker 1: No, you know, they think about it. They have to get volunteers to try this stuff out. If it works. I mean, you can. You could put a neuro chip in a mouse, but I don't know how they would test the performance of any given measure by that mouse to do something by just thinking about it. But at one point, you know, there's always some idiot that's willing to say I'll do it. I'll do it. There's a first for everything that would not be the y let's uh.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I will be here the last.
Speaker 1: On that list when they order you at point of a gun to do it. Six forty six right now will bring Dave back one more Meta's new artificial intelligence app. That's what we're going to talk about next app six fifty one. If you've have KERCD talk station Bryan Thomas along with Dave Hatter and thanks to his company in trust I for sponsoring a segment of passling all this information. And I note the article that you attached to this Zuckerberg Surreal New AI app author Adam ST's I think he shares your view of Meta generally speaking.
Speaker 2: Well a dim one at best. But I want to back into this because of the sort of ridiculousness of all And again, Brian, I can only level set here by sayings, there may come a time at some future point when all of this stuff is much more mature, and I would have a lot more confidence in it because all the security flaws are fixed and the privacy concerns were addressed, And we live in a beautiful world like Star Trek where you can just talk to the computer and everything as swell right. That is not our world today. So let me here's the headline. The disturbing message is shared between AI chatbot and teen who took his own life, and again I'll post all this in my notes. If you read through this, here's just I want to just touch on this and then get back to the met thing. So when I started using Character AI in April twenty twenty three, shortly after he turned fourteen. In the months to follow, the team became noticeably withdrawn with grow from school and extracurriculars and started spending more and more time online. His time on Character AI grew to harmful dependency, to suit states, So there's a lawsuit because this kid was talking to Danaris target or I don't know, some character from Game of Thrones, which I did not watch. He's in love with this thing. You can read all of this feedback between him and this AI bot that's telling him that it loves him and blah blah blah. It's really super disturbing if you dig into this a bit. Here's another headline related to it. Boy fourteen sell in love with Game of Thrones chatbots and kill himself after AI app told him to quote come home to her. And there's screenshots of all this stuff. Okay, but yeah again, I'll put this in the notes and maybe we dig into this particular thing. It's super disturbing, and people really need to talk to their kids. It's a machine. It's not your friend. Now. That gets this back there where we started. Mark Zuckerberg envisions the future where your friends are AI chatbots. Here's another related headline. Once Zuckerberg is missing on AI and loneliness, and you know, several interviews recently he's talked about this. He's wearing these crazy glasses, which I think are the new ray band glasses, which they've conveniently built so that you know, while you're talking to someone that can scan your face and learn about you and report your conversations and every other sort of dystopian proelian thing you could possibly imagine. But it gets into this idea that Americans only have three friends. And so I'm going to read a direct note to the average American I think has fewer than three friends, three people they consider friends, and the average person has demand for meaningly more. I think it's like fifteen friends. And you know, the idea is here that the meta AI, as opposed to the open AI AI or Google or fill in the blank rock from X, it's going to become your friend. You know, don't reinvest in communities, don't build things for human beings can interact with each other. Now, just get on the line and talk to Denarius, car Gun or whatever, and you know then eventually you'll kill yourself. I guess, you know, allegedly purportedly. It's I don't know, man, this this stuff is so insane, And I guess the takeaway for me is, you know a lot of these AI tools can be very helpful in a lot of ways, but they're not your friend. And you know, if you think you have a meaningful relationship with some AI you're talking to online, I would ask you to step back and question that you know, and we really need to be talking to our kids about this.
Speaker 1: Amen. You know, I suppose that this this is more of a problem for folks who are already struggling with some sort of I don't know, diagnosable mental health problem, because I mean, I spring from the proposition that I know that this is not that character from Gain Thrones, because that is a fictional character. And then I'm dealing with something that is computer generated. So how could I possibly go down the rabbit hole of taking what that particular generated text or communication is serious or in some way, shape or form actually real. I just I could never get over that. I mean, I'm talking to a robot. Basically, I know what I'm talking with. This isn't a human being capable of emotion or you know, being honest with me or anything like that. It's just I don't know. You got to you got to take into a step into a different realm to to fall into the belief that you're actually talking with something that is substantive and genuine.
Speaker 2: So let me hit you with another quote here real quick, for aunt of time. Quote for people who don't have a therapist. I think everyone will have an AI, Zuckerberg said in a separate podcast. You know they already want to know everything there is to know about you to manipulate you, at least from a marketing purpose, to forget whatever else. Yeah, whatever else has been ledged. We already know your data is leaked and stolen all the time. Can you imagine. I mean, at least when you talk to a live therapist, right, there are rules around what they can disclose. Now you're telling your deepest, darkest secrets, and this AI that's capturing all that and stintly sharing it with any unknown third parties. Crazy asual, We are not not ready for this. The technology is not ready for. People are not ready for We really need to as people slow roll this, it's getting out of hand.
Speaker 1: Amen. Brother, appreciate all that you do for the listening audience keeping them aware of this and the most notably, the dangers associated with this tech world we live in. Tune in next Friday for another edition to Tech Friday with Dave Hodder. Thanks again to intrust it Online at intrust dot com. Dave, you have a wonderful weekend, my friend.
Speaker 2: Thanks brying you to talk to you.
Speaker 1: Then, yes, sir,