Speaker 1: A lot of people put off buying a new mattress because it feels like a hassle. Too many options, too many claims, and no real way to tell what's actually going to hold up. Goostbed makes that decision easier. Ghostbed is a family run company with more than twenty years of mattress making experience, backed by deep manufacturing expertise. Their approach is straightforward, focus on quality materials, small construction, and a consistency over time, not flashy features or complicated sales tactics. Every Ghostbed mattress is built for long term comfort, using durable foam and proven cooling technology to help regulate temperature while you sleep. It's designed to feel reliable night after night, not just when it's brand new. And if you're not sure which mattress is right for you, Ghostbed's online mattress quiz helps narrow it down quickly. Whether you're a side sleeper who needs a little plushness or someone who prefers a firmer feel, the quiz matches you with the right option based on how you actually sleep. They also keep pricing grounded Ghostbed mattresses costs up to fifty percent less than comparable brands you could rest easy knowing you're not. You're getting one of the best values at this quality level. Every mattress comes with a one hundred and one night sleep trial and industry leading warranty and fast free shipping. And as a Teamhouse listener, you can get an extra ten percent off your order. Just go to ghostped dot com slash house and use the promo code House at checkout. That's go sped dot com slash house code House for an additional ten percent off site wide upgrade your sleep with ghostbed, makers of the coolest beds in the world. Some exclusions apply. Seasite for details. Thank you gosped for sponsoring the show. Thank you guys for helping support the show. Bye, Hey, everybody, Welcome to another episode of Eyes on Jill Politics. I'm here with Mick Moulroy, Jonathan Hackett, and Mark poly Moreopolis. A lot happening as usual. Ceasefire quote unquote is still happening. A lot's been going on because I'm sure like a lot of like journalists for over the last week have just been twiddling their thumbs a little bit, right. So we saw that Atlantic piece came out where essentially, you know, my perspective of it is jd Vance leaking to the Atlantic that he's not about this, and in meetings he's brought up like, you know, questioning what's going on in Iran and stuff like that. I think it's political obviously, because I'm a cynical piece of shit, But that's me, you know. We also saw the Center for Strategic and International Studies come out say talking about how we really haven't depleted a lot of Iran's like air force and missiles and ballistic missiles and drones specifically. We also did see from CNN a couple of days ago to kind of like what happened to all of our bases in and around the area, Like they've gotten pretty smoked for the most part. Another thing I saw which was wild. I mean this was all because the Pentagon is in the administration as a whole, is keeping it as quiet as possible. We saw like an F five of Iran, like bomb the Kuwaiti air and things like that, like just things that it was like right the next day or the next two days after we started bombing, I ran so stuff that we didn't think would be possible, right, Like obviously we knew we'd lose equipment and stuff like that, and unfortunately we lost you know, servicemen and women. But it's not exactly going as swimmingly as those semi daily or semi weekly Pentagon press briefings are telling us it's going. So I guess let's start there and like, we'll just see where this combo goes. I mean, make you can go first. You worked at a d D. We're a big wig over there.
Speaker 2: I did work at the d D, start as a private, ended up, you know, with the policy job. So I'd start with this to say we can get into all that. I'd start with this. This idea that you can't question the policy decisions of an administration or you're somehow attacking the military and not being patriotic. It's not only completely untrue. In fact, say'd say it's the opposite, as long as your complaints are valid. The US military uniform military doesn't make policy, right, so it's not their decision to go to war. It's the it's the civilian policy makers that are either politically elected or politically appointed or making the decisions.
Speaker 3: And then.
Speaker 2: The other part to that is most of the people that are now deciding that it's unpatriotic to criticize the political decisions that brought people to war. Made their political mark criticizing the political decisions that brought us to war for the last twenty years. So not only is it not true, it's completely hypocritical, which is one of the things that just I would either just disagree with somebody or somebody just not you know, be a good person, but not be hypocritical. For some reason, that just drives me great. Like, So I think we should all acknowledge that you can disagree with your political leadership and still fully support the men and women in uniform, which I'm sure everybody on this podcast does. And I'm one, you know, I guess I'm on the right side of this podcast. I'm one that supported the you know, the nuclear bombings are the bombings of the nuclear facilities back and twelve Dy war. I support the military objectives of this war. I just think we're making a lot of mistakes when it comes to how we're presenting it. And I bring that up mostly because I want us to be successful. I want the US to be successful at then this. I want history to judge that this was strategic success by the United States. Because I think that's you know, that's where I am. So the criticism, if any, if it's taken that way, is to so that we don't come out as a strategic failure in this endeavor. And the first thing is to you know, even though your mom told you this, honestly, the best policy is to be upfront with what's happening and what's not happening. It's all going to come out. It's all going to come out. We all know it. Historians are going to read the declassified a description of what we did and what we didn't do, what the enemy did and what the enemy didn't do. It's all going to come out. So you can have your five minutes of your world, which is already being eroded, and you already mentioned all of the media that's coming out, and it's being eroded inside of the administration of the vice president level. So if we didn't reduce their politic missile and suicide drones as much as we're saying we need to fix it, we just need to say it. And if they did a lot of damage to our bases, we need to say it. It doesn't mean that we're losing necessarily, it doesn't mean we're going to lose whatever the definition of that is. But if once you start telling the truth, people are going to completely dismiss you and they're just going to assume anything you do say after that it's just you know, not accurate. So I would I would start with, let's let's just go with honesty is the best policy, and it's not really what politicians do. I think not only is that good just ethically, but ultimately it's going to be good politically, and you know, to the extent that we need to review how we're doing. That's important because it's not only important to capture what happened, but we're about to go into we think a new round of kinetic activity. We're about to start the air war again. Right, So if you want people to listen to Okay, now we've depleted this strategic asset to that you're gonna have to be totally earnest with your numbers. And now we're also hear in addition to what dsaid, that the Air Force wasn't completely destroyed, which I've been saying over and over again, but apparently that's not the case. Because I'm obviously don't have access to classified information. I'm just going with media reports, so I'd start with that. I know we're going to get into you know, what's going to happen next and all that, but I think since d you kicked it off talking about those really important issues, I'll stop there and throw it to them. My friends here.
Speaker 1: Who wants it? Who wants it mud wrestle, not me? Get the ky I'll get it right now.
Speaker 2: You have a different definition of mud wrestle than I do.
Speaker 4: All right, let me let me just take a quick That was gross.
Speaker 3: Some just flipped over compliant boarding.
Speaker 4: Although I think Jonathan is wearing kind of like this V neck V neck shirts that's kind of sexy there, but you know, n coffee. Uh, all right, I'm going to translate. So, first of all, I I really enjoyed what you said right there. I'm going to translate mick talk into angry Greek talk. Yeah, in honor of the and I's heritage and who we are, no on a serious I mean, so, so I agree with all that, and you can then translate that into our secretary of Defense is full of sh His testimony in front of the Hill was obnoxious, it was irritating. I think he was lying, and it was insulting because exactly what Nick said, questioning people's patriotism who are saying, hey, what's going on with the war is absolutely bullshit and that's un American, And Mick, you said it perfectly because the entire administration has been lamd basting the never ending wars of Iraq and Afghanistan, and so now we're not allowed as commentators just questioning what's happening, and so that's angry Greek translation. I cannot imagine a less capable, less competent, more irritating secretary of Defense I've ever seen in my lifetime. And I would imagine you guys don't have to agree or or publicly, but I would imagine the uniform military, especially at the senior levels, feels the same way. Maybe not the more junior folks, maybe not be enlisted. Who likes the idea of a leader being able to bench through fifteen? But come on, now, you know, and I do think there's a there's a notion of this. You know, as I was watching this, I've turned it off because I do find it insulting. And you guys are gonna laugh when I say this, But you know, so I'm a critic of the Trump administration, work for the agency for twenty six years and went to some really kind of funky places. Look, I'm a patriot. I fly the American flag outside my house. I drive a pickup truck, and I listen to country music and I have guns. Yet somehow like I'm the I'm not a patriot. I mean, I find that absolutely insulting. In particular, if you have a brain on your head and you realize that, you know, hey, maybe the United States overstretched over the g watt over a rock and Afghanistan, it's okay now to question if this is going to turn into some never ending commitment. So let me just throw that out there. Anyway, Mick, I thought what you said was great. I just wanted to give a little spice.
Speaker 3: One.
Speaker 4: But let me just raise a couple other points for discussion, because it does have to do with the notion of, you know, can we believe what the government says. I sound like a conspiracy theorist. But when CD is putting out things such as, you know, the price tag of this war and that's from the congressional testimonies twenty five billion, nobody believes that that was met with eye rolls. There's just no way it's that it's that low. Again, that's not necessary to do that. Just tell the truth when you have, you know, the administration coming out, and this is something that we definitely have to talk about, because both Mick and Jonathan are veritable legal wizards or legal beagles. Have talked about the sixty day UH time limit coming up on the War Powers Resolution. Well, it came up and we got some oh, concern from the Republican members of Congress. I'm concerned, this is, this is and by the way, and then we went on vacation for a week. So then they went home. They're not going to do anything. So we blew past that. And then literally Trump said, well, if there's a ceasefire, the clock stops ticking.
Speaker 1: I remember saying that that's what his fucking logic was going to be, because I come back from New York too. Yeah, my logic would be like, oh, we have a ce swire, the sixty days is paused.
Speaker 4: But as both Jonathan and Mick have pointed out, I didn't know this, but a blockade is an active war according to the United Nations. Plus we have fifty thousand troops in the region who probably are at a trigger's edge right now, especially as Mick said that it looks like we might resume military activity anyway. So there's that. And then the final piece just to raise is and this goes to a different conflict, is but the US Congress and the administration agreed to allocate four hundred million dollars to Ukraine for assistance, and they didn't do it. They literally broke the law until the Hill called them on it and then they just released it. And so I am at a point in which and I sound like some kind of you know, campus protester, even though I'm not. As I said, I'm a patriot and very centrist, but I don't trust anything that comes out of this government. And it's terrible to say. Now, d we're talking kind of the in the i's only team room or the green room. Sorry before that, Yeah, maybe we never should trust the government on anything, but I think this is pretty pretty significant, and that stuff that's coming out from DoD, you do you have to kind of meet with a raised eyebrown, and Nick noted that peace I don't know if it's Axios or New York Times or Washington Post or the Journal, saying that JD vance is not even trusting that's coming out of a d D two. That's the kind of ponder But you know, big picture, I'm a little distrustful of the administration right now what they're saying about the war.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and also with the War Powers Resolution is very interesting that some representatives and senators think that it's an unconstitutional act to begin with. They've been more and more vocal about that over the past few weeks. They've first of all, they've rejected a vote on it six times in sixty days, which is a lot. It's a sixty day resolution that has a ninety day extension, so if the administrator wanted to, they could actually ask Congress for an extension of thirty days asked May first, and instead of doing that, they use what we discussed last time, which is justification, just saying there are no hostilities anyway, so why would we even ask for an extension. And also it's actually been over for eighteen days. They claim that May first was eighteen days into the cessation of a hostility, so there was actually no need to report to Congress anyway. So it's kind of this concern that maybe there will be this button that they can just continue pressing in the future because there's precedent now that they can say, well, we already stopped fighting yesterday, so that give me twenty four more hours. Just kind of like what we used to do when we would have our passports and we had to go get a visa reset so we could be in and out of the country on a certain kind of visa. We'd fly to a third country, get our passport reset, get a new stamp, come back in the country. Very similar logic going on right now, where it's like, Okay, we just stopped the war today, we'll restart it tomorrow. Clock starts back to one. And it seems that Congress, first of all, not only would they not push back on that, second of all, they'd actually pretend there was no need for reporting in the first place, because of how they're beginning to justify not needing to vote on this resolution, which in the green room we were talking about, you know, when the founding fathers, who are all mostly in their twenties, actually sitting around coming up with these ideas, brilliant people thinking of ways to stop something exactly this from happening. And actually in Federal's paper number ten, it talks about the dangerous of political parties and how that leads to factionalism exactly like we're seeing right now. So even though they were they were super smart and came up with all these things, they knew that it wasn't perfect. And right now we're seeing kind of what happens when it's not perfect in a war type situation. So it's kind of scary to be living in that time.
Speaker 2: So, Jonathan, since you're in law school and talking about this right now, it seems like there's two parts of this.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 2: So the administration is arguing, you know it, sixty eight didn't run because of the cease far at the same time they're arguing with the whole thing sounds constitutional. Right, It's almost like you're you're you've got two lines of effort here as far as the administration goes. And then if if Congress doesn't actually enforce it, then it basically doesn't exist. They could always cut off funding, right, they could always do that. But where because I don't really know, like how has this Supreme Court avoided answering this question definitively all the way till today. I mean, this is the most important thing the government does, whether you, or for the war against the war, or for any of the wars against the war, like this should be clear, like where does Congress's authority start an end? And where does the President's commander chief start an end? And how come we haven't had a definitive statement by the Supreme Court saying this is the answer to the question of whether this, you know, nineteen seventy three War Powers Act is constitution.
Speaker 3: So what we're missing is an injured party or someone with an actual complaint, a human being with a complaint that can bring this up through the appeals process to the Supreme Court. Because the Supreme Court lacks original jurisdiction over a lot of things. In fact, they have almost no original jurisdiction over anything except a very tiny amount of very specific things. And this is not one of those things. So in order for this act, this law to actually be adjudicated under Marbury v. Madisone, which is judicial review, there needs to be a person or interested party that actually contests this at a lower level.
Speaker 1: There needs to be a lawsuit.
Speaker 3: Right, Yeah, it has to survive. It has to survive, because that's the other problem is maybe there's a good claim here, but that claim isn't something that would make it through the appeals process to get actually argued in front of the Supreme Court. And then worse, the Supreme Court actually is the only court that gets to pick what they actually deliberate on. So you could bring up ten issues in this case and it makes it all the way the Supreme Court. Everything's gone through the worst challenges and now it's there, and the Supreme Court's like, you know what, We're only going to argue one of those nine issues or one of those ten issues, and we're going to kick back the other nine to lower courts, or we're just going to say, like we're just going to ignore it in the opinion not even talk about it, which is actually what they've done a few emergency docket decisions recently where they've done some procedural stuff that was not actually the main question and then just basically gotten rid of the case. So I think thinking through the Supreme Court method is probably not the most effective way to actually get at this problem. Instead, it's through either new legislation or elections that force out the naysayers or bring in people with different ideas to create kind of a conflict of discussion there that's what we actually need in Congress is not one set of yet is in one set of naves. Instead, we need actual deliberation and discussion and synthesis out of these disagreements, which is something that we're i think missing, and that's the most effective way to actually get at the answer this question about the war powers resolution.
Speaker 1: So functioning Congress is what you're telling.
Speaker 4: But just to just to be fair though, I mean, if you look at Kosovo in ninety nine with Bill Clinton and Tripoli and Libya with Obama, Uh, when was that in my missing you know, neither of those uh you know, democratic presidents have ignored this as well. I just I just think that's the idea that that what what I find. I never expected Congress to step up here, but you know, it's it's actually more irritating when Republican members say, well, we're concerned, Well you know what does that mean there? And then they go off on break for a week They're going to do nothing. As the idea that that somehow Congress is going to buck the administration on this, I think, even from the Republican side, is fanciful unless maybe, and you know, if if it really does seem to be something drawn out, but at this point I'm not I'm not confident. But on that note, what about the notion of resumption of military activity. I mean, there was the you know, I thought Admiral Cooper's visit to the USS Tripoli, I think it was pretty significant. You know, we always think about separating signal from noise. You know, noise is a Trump presser on the tarmac, you know, before he jumps on Air Force one and he's just blurt shit out and no one has any idea. But I don't know, I thought that was pretty significant. I think also there's been some consultations with the Israelis as well that I've gone on, And so what do you guys think? And just let me just kind of caveat this for the last you know, a couple of weeks in the media, I've been saying, look, I really don't think either size wants to resume the military the fight. But I'm actually changing my mind on this now. I think Trump's getting frustrated and and while you can make a case that we can outlast the Iranians for kind of in the on the economic pain front, this is not his shtick. He likes things to be kind of tidy and neat, and so I think there is a chance that there's going to be some kind of strife. So if you guys agree with that, what would we what would it look like? What's the target set?
Speaker 2: Uh?
Speaker 4: And do you think you know, is it even going to be something like carg Island ground forces? You know, what's what are your thoughts?
Speaker 3: Well, first thing, it's important to frame up what's going on with the with the politics in the region, because where the alliances are today are different than where they were in February before they started. And for example, if you look at who is the foreign Minister of Iran calling and then publicizing those calls, those are different targets or bodies than they were before in February. For example, Turkey, Egypt, Katar, Saudi Arabia, Iraq and Azerbaijan were all called within the last twenty four hours by Iran's foreign minister. Saudi Arabia would not have been on that list in February. For example, Azerbaijan one hundred percent, not because Azerbaijan is seen as a puppet of Israel by the Iranian regime. There's there's no way they would have been calling them and publicizing these calls. So there's certainly something going on here on the Iran side trying to probably posture or like search around for some kind of support around their borders because they sense or perhaps are planning something same with the United States. With the Emirates withdrawing from OPEC. I mean, this is a massive change, and it's very important to highlight how significant that is because OPEK has since the nineteen seventies been an unlawful monopoly over oil. If OPEC countries were corporations, we actually have laws that would ban them from selling oil to US because of their non competitive behavior and colluding on prices. So the fact that the Emirates jumped out of that, they just lost access to this really favorable financial system that they belong to because they're part of the Abraham Accords and they're looking west right now, they're looking at Israel, they're looking at the United States, and they're understanding that their position no longer depends on other Gulf states. For what's happening inside the Emirates, I think this is kind of a time where the Emirates are seeing themselves kind of growing up in the region and starting to gain a little bit more independence than they have had, especially in the eighties and nineties period when it was dominated by other golf states, in particular Saudi Arabia. And I think that you see that starting to rise up now too.
Speaker 4: And this is definitely do you see the Emirates wanting pushing the Trump administration to resume military activity or.
Speaker 3: No, well for sure. And we just authorized a bunch of foreign military sales billions of dollars worth of equipment to the Emirates this week, which is a new development that we had not done to any other golf partner in the last sixty days. So the fact that the US is doing that right now very important significant And at the timing of it, that funding was released days after the Opek departure. Probably not a coincidence.
Speaker 1: John also, is it because also they're trying to angle for a little bit of like a bridge loan bailout as well.
Speaker 3: Right they're trying to do a dollar for dinar exchange basically to buoy their economy, which if you think about the sequence of these events, the dollar exchange was announced first, the Opek departure was announced second, and then the foreign military sales was announced right after that in succession. Right, So there's clearly some economic back and forth between the United States and the Emirates and Israel. The Israel Emirates part a little bit quieter or harder to see in the noise, but certainly.
Speaker 4: The way iron Dome and idea of soldiers on the ground in the Emirates, I mean.
Speaker 3: That's a huge that never has happened yet.
Speaker 2: It's going back to your question mark. So, from what I've heard, President Trump was briefed on multiple options, including carg Now that doesn't mean that that's it's likely to happen. I thought it was kind of like completely off the table, But at least from what I'm being told by journalists who are being told by officials, it is. It was briefed. So that doesn't mean it's going to happen. I think it's more likely that we're going to do resumption of air strikes, right. I'm told it's going to be mostly infrastructure targets, with the idea that they could cause more pain to the regime as a way to push them toward the US perspective on the ceasefire and potentially a nuclear agreement. But there's some jostling back and forth. I don't know if that's the right word, but the military obviously has to hit valid military targets. They can't just blow up civilian infrastructure just because it's painful. Fact, that's unlawful. So they're they're they're designing the target deck. I'm told that it has direct nexus is to military operations, so it might be power plants, but it's one that has a direct connection to UH military operations, so it's a valid military target, including bridges as well. And then there are at least talks about trying to hit the more hard line because they're all hardliners elements within the regime that are completely resistant to any ceasefire and new nuclear agreement. Ahiti I think is top of the list, and I'm sure he understand. He knows that right, so I wouldn't be standing around Bahidi that much. But you know, you know, we'll see I mean, who were to replace them, Jonathan might not. But it really hasn't helped us that much. I mean, some people would argue we just end up with more hardliners than the people will we replaced, But they're valid targets because they're part of the combative chain of command. So I'm not against it. I just don't know if it's going to change that much. But and then this is at least the way they're messaging, it's going to be very limited, like a very tight duration, a lot of strikes. They've transferred a lot of our precision strike mindissions out there to do it. But it's not just what the US does, right, because there's going to be a response by the Iranians, and the Iranians apparently have their target decks. They've been planning this, They've been digging out the you know, the missile cities that have you know, at least been damaged to their entry points to be able to respond likely against the UAE. Right, that's probably going to be prime target number one. And it's right there, it's literally right there for this.
Speaker 4: Here's the question fund them if you're sitting at THEA like. So, so the only thing that matters on this is is it going to work? So, you know, will is this going to be any kind of step that will move the Iranian negotiating position? And I think that's the big question. So it's great, We're going to do this again. Beat the shit out of the Iranians. Everyone loves this, but is it going to work? That's the fundamental question. And if you see, if you look at a lot of the Iran experts, and you know, Jonathan, you're one of them, please jump in. You know, the question is okay, you know, that's all we care about. And and so is this just kind of you know, not performed at theater. It's real? But will it have an effect on the negotiations? I think that's the big question. I don't know the answer.
Speaker 2: That's a good question, you know. They if you remember from the beginning, I was an advocate to say, we go after our military objectives, we decide when it's done, and then we just say it's over, right, because the only thing Iran has to do to win is not lose. So if there's still some regime there, they're going to claim they won. And you see what I mean, like it's it's it's almost an impossible task. But for the US military, they can keep degrading the all the strategic military assets, they can keep hitting leaders, but it's it's I don't see it. I don't see them ever going. You know, no, Moss, we agree to everything you say, and we quit and we're gonna all resign and go home. It's just never gonna happen. So and it's there's no it's nothing against obviously our efforts, because it just doesn't have I mean, we're not gonna put boots on the ground. That's insane. I mean it's four times size of rock and it's mountainous, and it's just never gonna happen. And it's already like as popular as a Vietnam war, right, So it's just not gonna happen. So we're trying to do all this from the air with the idea that there's gonna be some magic target that changes their perspective. I think we could still do it, like, hey, we've we've with honest numbers, we've done this, this this, We think that was what we wanted to do. If they start racing towards a nuclear weapon, we'll target them again. But we we see the cost of this going forward is not worth the squeeze. Now the issue is going to be the straits or lose and then you know, how do we make that mopen that back up? So that's the big issue.
Speaker 1: Do you think our renewed air campaign is are really going to help open up the straits to regular traffic that it did on February twenty seventh.
Speaker 2: I think if we could have done that, we'd have done it all right.
Speaker 4: Right, Johonaan, Is it's going to work as any kind of military activity. Is there any military option that's going to force the Iranians to capitulate?
Speaker 3: I think a military option is a necessary element of a larger strategy to be successful, but it's not going to be sufficient by itself to actually achieve the end state we're looking for. And if the US's end state is to create lost oil revenue that forces Iran to yield, that's not going to happen right now. Iran actually has so much oil produced that they're scrambling to find areas to store it because they're actually at overproduction levels right now, right and they have these vessels that are floating out in the ocean or in the sea that they're trying to scramble together to put more oil into it because they have so much production right now. China is absolutely purchasing oil currently. They had purchased it in advance because it's so oil is paid for through futures contracts that they expect at a future date the oil will cost this much and they pay for it. China gets it at a slight discount, but it's not that much. Right now, Iranian oil is something like ninety to one hundred ten dollars per barrel, which is a lot. I mean that money is going directly to fund the regime. So like that goal, if that's our goal is to make them yield to economic pressure, it's not working. At least it's neutral. Maybe it's not negative, it's neutral, right, So if we're looking at the blockade on its own as an active war and a military option, we've hit forty eight vessels in twenty days, and I have not seen us do any opposed or non compliant boardings in those forty eight vessels. Those have all been compliant or at least they have listened to what we've instructed them to do, either turn around, been escorted or something like this to stop going to where they're going. So we haven't actually had any combat operations on vessels yet. Forty eight of them in twenty days. That's around two per day, right, well slightly more than that too, per day. So that's not stopping anything because their oil is still flowing. It's still moving lots of ship transfers happening off in the seventh Fleet aar so like off the coast of Malaysia straight to Malacca, a lot of Iranian oil going on to other vessels that are then making their way to China and doing exactly what they were doing before the war. So that's all to say that the military instrument could work if it was layered with other instruments. And I always waved my hands about this, that Grant strategy has other components besides the military. It has a diplomatic component that's typically done in secret, not advertise what's happening on that diplomatic channel, because the success of diplomacy largely has to do with secrecy, because both sides are not embarrassed in the process of showing what they're willing to concede. It's showing to their own publics what they're willing to concede. This is the problem, and it seems the US is not interested in doing that right now. It seems Iran might be, especially with all these phone calls they're making but not saying what the phone calls are about. That's clearly them trying to use this old lever that other countries are traditionally aware of. But there's also the economic component, which we've always said, you know, sanctions aim to achieve certain behavioral changes inside of a country. They have not really done that in authoritarian systems like Iran, for example. They've they've had effects, but not the effects that we wished for at the very beginning, right, And so if you want to have that economic stick, you need also an economic carrot for other members of the economy to stop combining with the bad actors in the economy. That can look like a lot of different things. None of those things are being approached right now. So kind of a long answer to your question, I don't think the military alone is going to achieve a positive outcome for what the US is trying to do there.
Speaker 2: Soot Jonathan question, then, so how are they getting around the blockade? Are they just hugging their territorial waters or what is what is it that's preventing the US from stopping all of the ships. It's just big ocean. You know, we can't be everywhere. I mean, we're at war with them, so why wouldn't we just stop them in their own territorial waters if we could.
Speaker 5: Right, So, we have three carrier strike Yeah, we've got two carrier strike groups on the eastern part of fifth Fleet, then one carrier strike the six Fleet, which is the Mediterranean Sea, which so that means they can't connect their forces together easily.
Speaker 3: So that means really you've effectively got two carrier strike groups and about twelve naval ships that can actually do interceptions with opposed or non compliant boarding problems, which is what you have to always plan for, to always plan for the worst when you approach this unknown vessel. Right, So twelve ships is not a lot, especially when you're talking about hundreds of vessels, some of which were already outside the straits before the war started, so we actually don't know where they were. You remember the MH three six or whatever, the Malaysian Airlines crash that happened back in twenty fifteen. We never found where that aircraft went down in the Pacific Ocean, largely because the Pacific Ocean is gigantic, so they're taking advantage exactly as you mentioned. It's just this huge gapped space that if you have your transponder off, if you're using a little bit of operational security, you know, no iridium phone no transponder, no direct to sell stuff, none of that. You're just you have a compass, a physical compass, and you're just using that and the stars, which is what they have always been doing to gate east and northeast. You're going to make it to that rally point that you had planned in advance, with coordinates that you'd plan in advance. No electronics. You show up, basically, do a brush pass with your oil, transfer it off. One vessel, empties, one, fills up. Nobody knows where it happened, when it happened until that vessel shows up off the coast of Hong Kong and is ready to go onload, you know. And this is like happening every day many vessels. And again they were doing this way before February. This has been something they've been doing since two thousand and seven when we first sanctioned their oil system. So they've had a lot of time to develop with a lot of different pressures of different because each administration comes in with different packages of sanctions and they try different things, and the regime has been able to adapt to that. Almost like antibodies or white blood cells, they've been able to actually survive these white blood cells coming in. So now you have this kind of mutated regime that's super effective at avoiding any of these sanctioned related issues that we have to any of these tools we have to use because we have a kind of limited number of tools to use, and they know what they are. They say, we know that US sanctions by Treasury say company X LLC at this address. Well we'll just make company why LLC had a different address, and then it will take six months for the US government to catch up and make a new sanction against the exact same company that just change its name and address. You know, it's like they know these very simple tools to get around this stuff. Again, word democracy, they're not. It's faster for them to do this stuff than it is for us.
Speaker 4: Hey, guys, a question. There was a there was a press piece yesterday. They got some attention and lots of debate, and this is an issue this He's gonna love this because we started talking about Israel and Israeli influence. But there was a someone from UH I think his name is Nick Stewart from the Freedom of Defense Democracies is joining the Peace Talks as a as an aid as an advisor to U to the U S side. I think he served in the first Trump administration. Mick, I don't know if you know Nick Stuart, but it's an FDD guy. And so, you know, there's a lot of people who really think that that organization, that Think Tank has a lot of undue influence. Clearly they you know, they have the ear of the administration. But have you guys followed this at all? What are your what are your thoughts on that? You know, because one of the things that I thought was interesting is, you know, we've all criticized the administration for not listening to any Iran experts. Well, they're bringing in an iron expert. We might not like the Iran expert we're bringing. They're bringing the last They're actually bringing in someone who can help. You know, Kushner and wi Cough were completely the most clueless envoys in the history of the US diplomacy. So have you guys followed that at all?
Speaker 2: I mean to the extent that I mean Traditionally you see think tank, especially the ones in DC. When your parties has a White House, you know, they empty out those think tanks and they go work and they become the dazzies, and the dazz d's and all that, and then when your party is not, you go back to the think tanks, right, So, which is not bad, I mean because that means like the people that make policy kind of grow up in that system, right They start as a junior person and they move up and I also go to the Hill and aren't on the Foreign Relations Committee and stuff, So think tanks hillstaffers, and so it does create a pool of people who are very seasoned and smart on every issue. You might disagree with their stance on it, but that's how it generally works. And we haven't seen it, like we've even seen the Pentagon, at least the leadership of the Pentagon like not even allow fellows, you know, military fellows to go to these think tanks. And that's like, this has historically been part of our policy system for both sides. So the fact that they're using some and of course it's going to be you know, somebody from their political inkling that's common is a good thing. And I don't know Nick, but it's a good thing that they are. I would hope they would use more of these folks and think tanks.
Speaker 1: Once, Yeah, because is like the FDD. I'm just reading a little bit. As you guys are talking, it's like, come on, bro, come on, brothers. It's like, what are we doing. I mean, they're straight up fucking Israeli shills, like they looked at as part of the Israeli lobbying effort into America, which they do an incredible job of. Frankly, and kudos to them, I guess, extremely hard line in terms when it comes to our rand too. It's like getting another crazy uncle from the IRGC to come and come and join us at the negotiation table. It's gonna go great.
Speaker 4: We really again, I agree with you, and FDD is extremely pro Israel, and there's you know, and people are very exercised on social media about this development. But I think the reason why I wanted to raise it because I think, you know, someone like myself who's been really critical that these guys don't listen to anybody. Well, now they're bringing in an expert, so now we're gonna be critical again. It's kind of funny. So I think it's honest. I think it's good that I.
Speaker 1: Think they need to see the writing on the wall and see the reality of what's going on, and if you're really serious about making a deal. You're gonna have to give up some concessions because we fucking broke it and we're gonna have to buy it at some point that February twenty seven to straight the horror moves well is operating fine. Gas was cheap, spirit Ana Lines was still in business. Your summer travel this year is not gonna be as expensive. It wasn't gonna be as expensive as it is gonna be now. So, like there's real effects, and like we're barely feeling it in America frankly, you know, a West Coast maybe a little bit more in terms of gas prices, but you know, we're seeing the effects on it. And yeah, like the fake stock market can keep going up. At some point that bottom is gonna fall out as well if this keeps going. So I don't know if bringing in another hardliner who's not gonna listen to reason is exactly a smart move. I think we need to have grown ups in the room that are gonna make real deal. Uh, just look at what the writing is on the wall, Like, just look at what the reality of the situation is and how we fucked it up so badly.
Speaker 4: But that's never gonna happen.
Speaker 1: This is and it's never gonna happen. Then we're still gonna have this. They're gonna have this issue.
Speaker 4: But you can't. You're not gonna get bringing anyone with anything other than the same deal.
Speaker 1: So like our everything's gonna go up more money, inflation's gonna go up, and we're gonna feel it at home, our partners and the golf are going to feel it even more. I think Saudi Arabia's economy is going to retract by eight percent as well as like Ua too, Like all the golf countries are getting smoked right now, so wolf, you know, which means they're gonna stop buying our weapons. Like there's gonna be reverberations to this, and it ran frankly, I remember me and Mick were talking about it before it went popped off, where like Iran's was at its weak as it's ever been right now, as pretty as strong as they're ever going to get because they're squeezing the straight at hormoos and the money's stopped. It's the money has stopped flowing and that's just the reality of it. So unless we.
Speaker 3: Get charging up to two million dollars per transit per ship through the straits up to you as a ceiling. But the interesting thing on that is the way they're receiving that money is through things like default swaps, in kind payments, bartering like grain for grain for oil. They're using a lot of crypto and these like specialized payment offset structures are really fascinatingly complex, and they're get money with that.
Speaker 1: Now, Dels, it doesn't matter.
Speaker 3: So that's actually what caused the two thousand and seven crash in the United States. Yeah, basically for like insured transactions of transactions, if you want to think of it that way, right, So if they don't get their oil or they don't get their money, they actually get paid a secondary payment because of the way this thing is structured. So they're going to get their money no matter what, and they're getting it in bank accounts outside of Iran, so they're getting money. So even if the US stops Iran from exporting oil, Iran is still benefiting because, like you said, the straits have been closed since Feber twenty seventh, early the twenty eighth, So our closure of the straits is actually enriching Iran, which is I think very important for people to like connect these two dots together.
Speaker 4: Hey, can we I'm sorry, Ad, Just so.
Speaker 2: One quick point on your question mark, Like, even if you agree with the policy objectives of the administration, it's still important to have people who have that expertise because you need somebody in the room to say, hey, you know the heat he's probably the most hardline person we could have had, right, Like they might not even know that. I'm not saying, but there's like detailed stuff on run that you need somebody in the room to actually just answer the question, you know, like is this gonna matter? Like is the regime? Is financial economic hardship of the regime gonna turn them at all? Even if you want them to turn, even if you agree with the policy, you have to have somebody that actually has a knowledge base to go No, they're still going to be drinking Johnny Walker black, right, and while the other people are outside their you know, palace, are starving at at I mean, that's the way regimes work, right. I'm not saying that's truth, but you need somebody to be able to know that so that if you try to go down a policy route that you have at least somebody in the room that can tell you where it's going.
Speaker 4: To work, even if you know the first time around, this is a running or this is a running negotiating behavior, this is the history of how they do things, et cetera, et cetera. I mean, I just think Kushner and Wick offered just complete utter boobs and I can't even imagine that they're involved in this thing after they've fouled up Ukraine screwed up the whole Gaza thing as well. I mean, they got a cease fire deal, nothing else. And so I do think I agree with you it's it's probably a good thing. But let me one thing that.
Speaker 1: Had Palestinian citizens are just like getting smoked by the way nine year old girls and the like. Just if I want that for the record, thanks D No problem, my pleasure.
Speaker 4: So if we're under the assumption, and I think we probably agree that it's a it's a I don't know if it's a likelihood a strong possibility that there is going to be renewed military action, Let's talk about Iranian response, because one of the things that I think that that we have not seen is actually the true nature of Iranian and asymmetric warfare. Perhaps obviously we saw them using drones, perhaps there's been cyberactivity we don't know about, but I don't think they seem to have turned off up their terrorist apparatus as globally. So what is what are some of the things you all are looking for, uh if and and again if any, because if we do these kind of infrastructure strikes, I think that is an escalation on the US part. And so how do how do the Iranians uh reciprocate? Escalate? What do they do? What are some of the things that we haven't seen yet that are kind of in your that you're thinking about.
Speaker 3: So there's something new going on right now? Yeah, yeah, So in Lebanon this is the place to look. Is kind of their their test bed for stuff before they use it large scale or at least to attribute to the regime. So right now, I think it was yesterday Hezbola first used a fifteen kilometer fiber optic cable attached to a drone espe exactly. So that's a new development for Hebola, not a new development in warfare. They've been using that in Ukraine, but the fact that it's now happening in Lebanon indicates to me that someone's testing this out to see how does this work against a similar type of adversary that would be used against the United States. Because Israel and the US share intelligence, they share air defense information and a lot of other things, so they're probably testing it on the Israelis first to see what is the reaction to this, how do they counter it, what's what to expect. Then when the US comes closer to the regime's shoreline, the regime will probably begin using this. Fifteen kilometers is a long way, right, and it can probably make.
Speaker 4: A doctor that almost got hit. There was a there was a thing as an ex post of it was pretty scary, and I think some of really idea of soldiers have been killed recently with from the fp drone. That's scary right there.
Speaker 3: Yeah, a nineteen year old soldier was just killed with one, and Hesbola released a really sleek propaganda video of it showing how it happened. I mean that does put fear into the soldiers. I mean that's morale is a component of warfare. Information is a domain of warfare, and Hesbela and Iran are very good at using information as a domain of warfare. And I think, as you mentioned, even if we haven't seen cyber attacks happening publicly. First of all, they're already happening. Yes, they're happening without being publicized, because it doesn't look good if we publicize it's happening to us. Second of all, they have certain cyber tools that are extremely advanced. They are a state actor, a state adversary with a lot of very sophisticated things that zero day technology. The moment you use it, it's no longer as effective, but if you wait to the right moment to use it, it is extremely effective. And they've already shown since two thousand and nine that they've been able to hit targets inside the United States. They took down the entire financial system of the State of Georgia and states once they did that with two guys. They've done some other things that were very over the top, and as Mickey mentioned, I wrote a book about this. But they're very advanced in a way that we sometimes don't respect enough. You have to respect your enemy to be able to defeat them well, because you have to know exactly how are they willing to use this thing, how far are they willing to go? And we can't look at them and be like, oh, these guys running around with sticks and shouting, and like, maybe that's true. But if they're really good at using those sticks and really good at shouting, I need to respect that fact figure out a way to stop it from harming us, right, because it can harm us, especially in a democracy where people here affect what happens over there because of how they view things at home. Right, and on the military front, kinetically, we haven't seen them using artillery, direct fire weapons. We haven't seen them doing any kind of squad, battalion or division level operations yet. Any of these things that forty percent of their military forces are designed around those capabilities, we haven't seen them yet. The last time we saw those used was twenty sixteen in Syria when they fought against ISIS and defeated large, large pockets of ice as fighters in northern and northwestern Syria at using battalion sized elements partnered up with Syrian partner forces and the National Defense Forces, which was their surrogate force inside of Syria that was a non state force. So we've seen them do that about ten years ago. A lot of the veterans from that time are now mid level field great officers and the IRGC ground forces who are capable and possibly ready to use these tactics against the United States, especially against our partners. I feel looking at Iraq, you know, we have the Iraqi forces that we trained, counter terrorism forces and regular forces that look a lot like the way that fighters fight in Syria. So there's the PMF that has over two hundred thousand fighters that are on Iran side that have not really engaged very much in a meaningful way against US. They've done a couple of things, especially Kataid Hezbola, but most of them have not really awakened yet, so to say. So, there's a lot of forces at rest in the area that Iran has not pressed the go button on yet. And I'm sure the Pentagon planners are aware of this obviously, but this is just something for the public to be looking at. Iran has really actually held back a lot. They've been using mostly a standoff strategy, so is the US. But once one side shifts to a different strategy and more stand in strategy, you're going to see the other side respond to that.
Speaker 2: So, I mean, I know you don't know exactly, but if we're shifting from almost completely military targets to civilian infrastructure at least the ones that we can hit because they have some nexus. Do you think the regime would then take those previously unused options that you just described and do them, Like, could we see direct kind of terrorist attacks in the United States based on the fact that we destroyed a bunch of bridges and hit I think there's like three major power plants that would really put the country into darkness. And of course these power plants, I mean everybody understands, like that's also water purification, hospital respirators. I mean, this is when you take the power out of any modern country, you're killing a lot of people. Yeah, yeah, a lot of civilians. Right, So again I don't expect you know, for sure, do you think that would be to the level what they're going to take some extraordinary steps knowing that it's going to escalate this, but they'll view this as we escalated it first, therefore they're going down there.
Speaker 3: Yeah. And actually they've done this before. They've demonstrated that this is the way that they kind of respond to escalations. For example, twenty twelve, when Israel started assassinating nuclear scientists inside and outside of Iran, there was a very measured escalation on the Iranian side attacking Israeli diplomats using the exact same weapon style that Israel used, almost to telegraph without saying that this is in response to what you did, rather than some new thing. They've also done to the United States in twenty twenty January when we killed Solmani, then Iran struck all the side airbase, and the way that they did these things was very telegraphed to kind of look, you know, tit for tat. The question is are they going to still operate with that because all the people that made those decisions to behave that way are dead now, so we're left with with new decision makers and new thinkers, and even the ones that have survived were not the ones that were in those positions previously. You know, Vahiti is a notorious hardliner who's very much against any kind of capitulation at all. He may see this as an opportunity to prove that they have some strength. There's actually an interesting statement by a field grade IRGC commander in the western part of the country, which is a very important Iraqi border area, mentioning that the US has not used ground forces yet and Iran invites them to use them because the Irunni forces have not shown what they're capable of yet. And I think that's true because as we were mentioning, like forty to sixty percent of their forces have not even been used yet because they're ground forces. So the way they use them in nineteen eighty to eighty eight was not in a way that we would like, and that is human waves, suicide missions, you know, basically taking the whole building down with them if they're going down. So I'd be very concerned about how they do escalate or if cooler heads will prevail at the Supreme National Security Council, which is where some of the quote unquote moderates are out. They're not really moderate, but relatively speaking to Bahiti, it depends on who's actually holding the levers right now in Iran, and I think the Iranian government doesn't even know who actually is making those decisions right now.
Speaker 4: But on this, on this discussion, now, you know, let's pretend that we were sitting around the National Security Council. I mean, I think the argument would be, well, okay, this doesn't seem like the right course of action in terms of the US escalating for infrastructure strikes. Everything we've just talked about. Does not suggest it's going to be effective. It could The response could be quite significant. Yeah, it seems like we're going to I mean, so you know, it still seems like we're going down this path. Does this say that there is no NSC process, which seems possibly to be the case, or who is who has the who is the influential member and the national security team who would argue for such a thing, and presumably that would be Pete hag Seth, the Secretary of Defense. But again I'm you know, I mean, there are going there is going to be a sit room meeting with the you know, at the Principals Committee level, with probably you know, Ratcliffe, Caine, heg Seth, and Rubio amongst just a couple others. Who's arguing for doing this because you know, again this is just four of us sitting around kind of you know, John about this. But you know, we're smart enough in the national security sphere to kind of put that those cautionary flags up. But I don't know if anyone's going to have this conversation with the president.
Speaker 2: Good question. I mean, this is I mean, what we're doing right now is very similar to what I experience when I was over the NSC. It's just conversations. We're all going towards a specific end when you want us policy to succeed, but we go down several routes, and oft the time it's the it's the intelligence community that everybody turns to you and says, well, is that going to work? Yeah, they're not supposed to be policy, but they're also supposed to go, nah, it's not going to work. Why And then they tell you, you know, and then you go, hey, let's go let's go this path instead of that path, because and then by the time it gets to the principals level, a lot of these issues have already been worked out because if if everything starts the top, they don't want to hear no, so they say, this is what I think is going to work. Do it, and so then they go down that road a long way before even the principle realizes, oh crap, that didn't work right if it's if it's staffed the right way. As soon as that's brought up, especially with a you know, a president that's okay with being told, you know, that's the great idea, it's our that they've already come up with the pasts that are most likely to work and the past that mostly an not going to work. And it's done. It's done at a senior level, but you know, compared to the president junior level, right, And that this is how the discussion general.
Speaker 4: Goes describing exactly how this is kind of fast backwards, that that this is a top down that's how.
Speaker 1: It normally works, right, like normally yeah, right, the lower levels it comes up got into the Iran thing not in a normal way. That because the NSC has been gutted and it was six guys in a room talking about like, yeah, let's do it. Why not?
Speaker 4: All of Trump's decision making seems to be along these.
Speaker 1: Lines, Asiel said, it's okay to do it, let's do it. You know they're going to do it anyway, and we're just protecting ourselves. I guess, let's let's fucking start this. Warn Yeah, ruin the fucking world? Why not? You know?
Speaker 2: I mean, the best leadership that I've seen, and obviously I didn't work for Secretary of Madus is one of the I think greatest leaders of our generation is the leader doesn't say anything usually other than good morning, right, and then they listen to everybody, right, because if the if the leader starts off going this is what I think. Well, even in the most functional administrations, they go, well, shit, I guess he already made his mind up, right, So you don't want or you don't want the leader to lead with this is what I think we're going to do, because then everybody goes, Okay, well, I guess as we're going to do. I'm not I don't know. I'm not obviously in the room for what's going on now. But the most functional at every level I've seen the leader be is the one that you know, you got two ears in one mouth, right, So that's a story thing. By the good way, it goes way back to say, now, just for those of you that are stoics out there, you got to listen and then and then people are more prone to give you their the straits gooop and then then based on what you hear, then you know, don't make the decision or what. But I don't know what's going on now, but they need that staffing. They need those professional diplomats, uniform military officers, not just the chairman and of course intelligence officers. Uh, they should all be at the NSC. They should be pushing obviously for the President's policies, but it has to be done in an educated, informed way.
Speaker 1: I don't know.
Speaker 4: That's not good.
Speaker 2: We do need to talk before. I know we're getting closely at the time, but the withdrawal of US forces from Germany is I think, you know, there's so much to talk about, but that's important.
Speaker 1: Yeah, let's do it. I mean, it's crazy, obviously, and I'm a dirty, you know, hippie commedy scumbag, and I think it's crazy, you know what I mean? The fact that I think how we let like Eastern Europe and like just Ukraine like flapping the fucking win the way we do is unacceptable and like insane to me. I don't understand this, how this government, this administration operates, And when it comes to Russia and Ukraine, what the fuck is five thousand troops out of your Ramstein or wherever gonna do? I don't know. I don't know what the strategic play is, like why it makes sense or it just makes for a good fucking headline. I don't know. That's right. We're gonna do it.
Speaker 3: Last time, last administration, they were getting ready to do it. And then it extended across presidencies, which was then stopped. But five thousand troops is about one brigade combat team. Yeah, it may it may be a combat team, or it may be other forces that are that equal that number. We don't know. But uh, there's thirty six thousand US troops in Germany and one hundred k in Europe. So five thousand is definitely like a political statement more than a military strategic statement. You know, at least that's how I view it.
Speaker 2: But what if that could be an indicator what's going to happen?
Speaker 4: Yeah, like our allies and you know, well Trump then said that there's going to be more. And the reason why this gets so stupid is and everyone on this program knows this. You know, Germany as a logistics is massively important. It doesn't matter what the German chancellor says, it is irrelevant. Every so many things flow through several locations in Germany quietly that anyone who then argues, because you now and so people are making the argument we don't need them, that's insane for sent Common Africa, It's I mean, it's preposterous. If you have half a fucking brain, everything goes through these places, including weird shit like fucking relays and satellites and all sorts of ISR stuff like it's crazy. So you can beat up the Germans all you want, but the idea of potentially pulling out and closing some of these locations makes no sense. That that means that we can't that's that's committing superpower suicide. Now, if you want to make a stupid political statement five thousand, if that's it, whatever, But the idea that because this is based on the notion that we don't need Germany, and that's nuts.
Speaker 2: It is nuts. Again, every uniform military person there's landstall.
Speaker 4: I mean, there's there's critical locations there that really matter. I mean everybody METAVACT goes to a certain location to get immediate traumacare.
Speaker 2: So I think you said it are exactly right, Mark, I mean, this is we're not there one, there's nothing wrong since we're our NATO members to be there to support NATO, that is our thing. But even if you don't agree with that, we're there because it's in our own interest.
Speaker 4: It's period period, right, big time selfish interests.
Speaker 2: Yes, and when and then if they if they do, if this is an indicator, And you're right, maybe this is because Mertz said that he was getting embarrassed by Iran or what have you. If this is just an indicator that we're gonna eventually withdraw from Europe, and if you look at the National Defense strategy, it kind of indicates we are right. So I don't think it's just a one off. The next president, Republican or Democrat, is going to spend their entire time trying.
Speaker 1: To get back right.
Speaker 2: They just are it's in our own interest. It is not about you know, we're just defending. It costs us money. It costs us money because it's in our It's how we project force because we do have the luxury of being you know, protected by oceans. But that also is a burden when it comes to projecting force because you have to go over the oceans. Right, So we're gonna there is a provision in the NDAA that requires like a certification. I was told it's not just the Secretary of Defense that has to although I hurt two different things, but it's going to have to be the commanding general.
Speaker 4: From uh yeah, yeah.
Speaker 2: So he is going to have to say that it won't impact readiness, which we all know is not true. I mean that has to if we start withdrawing a lot of forces. Uh, he's going to have to. He's going to literally say it's not going to have any impact on NATO. There's all these things that and this is put in by Congress because they knew this was likely to happen. I think, to Jonathan's point, it started in the first administration, then it went away because of Bidens, So they knew this was going to happen. And this was put in there by Republicans too.
Speaker 1: Right, So do you think do you think this administration is worried about being in contempt of Congress?
Speaker 4: Well, that's the thing, you know, So we keep coming back to conrectorical questions. I mean, you know, Congress was also a check on those four hundred million dollars that were supposed to be spent in Ukraine and they didn't do it, and.
Speaker 1: The Epstein files and they haven't done it. There's like, you want to go down the list.
Speaker 4: We can, but but I think I mean, just yea again, it's I mean, how many friends of ours been treated medical care in Germany on the way back from getting or I mean, or every support flight we've ever known about goes through Ramstein. I mean, come on, it's just it just it doesn't make any sense. But you know, hopefully you'll see pushed back from Congress. In this case, I would say there's probably going to be more pushback on this. As opposed to the War Powers Resolution. This is a bigger deal just because uh, the kind of the national security normies in the Republican Party and there are still that that was out there on the hill are are you know, certainly don't support this. But the great I mean yeah, I mean the amazing part about well, that's that's Rubio. I mean he also went, yeah, so Rubio is just this weird enigma. I mean I I you know, he's clearly so much of the things that he does now and says there's not part of his his career had enigma.
Speaker 1: Do you mean like just like a fucking pussy that flip flops because of what Trump says, Because that is that what enigma means. I'm just trying to clarify his trip.
Speaker 4: That's what it seems like his trip to Hungary was was very disturbing for a lot of us who have testified in front of him, who's seeing him know what he believes in. That's not who he is. But he wants to be president and he wants Cuba to go down, So it's.
Speaker 1: Not going to be president. He's going to have to realize that sooner before later.
Speaker 4: I mean I would I wouldn't go that far. I think he's he's got a very good shot.
Speaker 1: I want to make a bet right now, one thousand US.
Speaker 4: If Cuba goes down, if actually he if they pull off this Cuba soft coup thing. You know, there's there's gonna be a lot of people in Florida who're pushing for him.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Cool, Florida. That's a red state. I mean, if we're talking politically like that, nobody gives a ship about Cuba except if you're a Cuban in Florida. Frank, that's an that's an in America and a broad world, in the broad country. He's not He's gonna get six percent and he's gonna bow out and jump behind whoever gets the most, just like he did every other single time. And he's gonna keep flip flopping because that's all he is. He's a politician who's full of ship.
Speaker 2: But to Marks Boyd, there is still a Reagan side of the Republican Party and the Reagan side of the Republican Party views NATO as a key alliance that benefits the United States. Every president, including President Obama, was angry with NATO partners who weren't paying their fair share, and they were right. They were all right, including President Trump. But now kind of ironically, maybe mostly because of Russian invasion of Ukraine, they're all standing up, Like I just read something that Germany's gonna add four hundred and sixty six thousand soldiers, right, does anybody think that Germany can't raise an army? We should all know through history they can. So we're gonna The reason why I'm saying this is because we're going to end up with great allies like who are really strong. And we look at Poland right now. I think Poland could take on Russia and beat them personally, especially if they were with Ukraine. So what I'm saying is we might end up in a situation where the US is trying to pull out of an alliance that's now the most capable has ever been in its history, which is not good for us. That's why we have to spend one point five trillion dollars on our defense.
Speaker 1: We don't have to, so we don't.
Speaker 2: Have to, especially in our allies. It isn't just Germany, it isn't just I mean the year P and Alliser stepping up.
Speaker 4: And about that Greek spending on GDP.
Speaker 2: Let's go, what's up? Tell me? I don't know.
Speaker 1: We don't one of the top ones in NATO in terms of percentage.
Speaker 3: Good.
Speaker 1: We're doing it for Turkey. We don't give a ship about NATO. We want Turkey to go down.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: No, the Greeks have been very good. I mean, in fact, I mean even Breitbart is now celebrating the Greek national security strategy, which is causing me some anks.
Speaker 2: But we used to go to smokers in Greece because my son, you know it was a boxer. They every once in a while they have, like smokers are amateur boxing matches. They'd have like these Turks and the Greeks. Did you go to the Nades and the Turks they must have found like the worst boxers, Yeah, just smoked.
Speaker 1: You gotta stack it right there. You got to.
Speaker 2: Watch the Harlem gold crowders play there watching the generals right and we'd be like, is this real? Is just some kind of uf I'm not UFC, but uh.
Speaker 1: Yeah, w w yeah, because it was real.
Speaker 2: They just went and found really bad Turkish spots.
Speaker 1: They just grabbed homeless guys on the street and they're like, come on, let's go, let's beat the ship out of you for entertainment. And that's the most the Greeks could probably do to your Turkey for being honest. But yeah, a lot happening. We're obviously keep an eye on it. You guys want to any final thoughts.
Speaker 2: Well, this week could be significant, right, so that the president has been briefed, they's probably gonna choose one of the options unless there's a diplomatic breakthrough, so we should We could have a lot to talk about next week.
Speaker 1: Are guys do us a favor liking? Subscribe If you're listening to us on audio radio five Stars, subscribe there as well. Go and grab John Infan Hackett's books. They'ing very good. I started reading the first one, not the first one, the ran Shadow Weapons ones.
Speaker 3: Oh nice.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's incredible. Mick Molroy and the Whitefish. Yeah, that's why I like it. I need pictures like our president McK molroy. Of course, white the Whitefish Security Summit happening at the end of February.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 1: That link is in the description. Mark polly Moreopolis His links are in the description. He's got a book called Clarity and Crisis and uh what else. Oh, help support the show Patreon dot com slash the Teamhouse. You get ad free episodes both for The Teamhouse and eyes On and thanks guys as usual a pleasure.
Speaker 6: Hey guys, I want to take a moment to tell you about the Team House podcast newsletter. If you go and subscribe, it's totally free, and what it will do is aggregate all of our data, all of our content that we put out, the things that are on The Team House, on our geopolitics podcast, eyes On, things that I write journalistically with Sean Naylor on the high Side, anything else that we have going on books, we recommend upcoming guests that we have coming on the show, and also you know, filtering in some fun stuff in there as well. If you go and check it out, we send it out just once a week. We don't want to spam you guys. It's just a kind of roll up of all of our content on a weekly basis. You can find our newsletter at teamhouse podcast dot kit dot com slash Join again. The website for that is Teamhouse Podcast, dot kit dot com slash Join, so we hope to see you there.
Speaker 1: The link will be down the description