Speaker 1: Y'all ripped up.
Speaker 2: News, need advice?
Speaker 1: Who you don't have?
Speaker 3: Run in just as fast as we can. Shooter's gonna help coming man.
Speaker 1: This is the Troubleshooter Show.
Speaker 4: No Tom Martino, Hello Tom Martino. Here, let's get the show on the road. We got a lot to talk about today. Three oh three seven one three talk. Is that studio line We use that when we're on the air three oh three.
Speaker 1: Seven one three talk seven one three eight two five five.
Speaker 4: But the more important number for those streaming you can see it on the screen, or if you're streaming later, you can get that three oh three Martino. It's very easy to remember. Three oh three six two seven eight four sixty six. The benefit of that line is we listen to each and every call, and if you leave a number, we'll get back to you and we'll get you on the show, so you don't even have to wait. So that's the guaranteed spot on the show. Three oh three Martino, three oh three six two seven eight four sixty six. I'll bring in the studio right now.
Speaker 1: I have.
Speaker 5: Major Mark Major at the helm there, and then we have a deputy doc screen left if you're watching, and then we have Joseph Keano, certified financial planner, here to talk about his upcoming movie event, which is really an educational event about retirement and again, whatever you want.
Speaker 1: To talk about talk about.
Speaker 4: But we will be getting text messages as always and emails and talk about anything near and dear to your heart in pocketbook. Now, Walt had called earlier when I was doing the show, and he talked about a road and he said he inherited the road. And the way the call went.
Speaker 1: Was like this.
Speaker 4: He said that in nineteen sixty the HOA was formed and every property has an easement. Now he I had notes on this, but I guess there's somebody who wrote him there. But in essence, he said he inherited the road. Now I believe this is the guy I talked to. This, I don't someone else, actually, I don't think.
Speaker 6: So this is from yesterday, Tom Okay, So this so okay, So I'm mistaken.
Speaker 1: We have you might not in nineteen sixty as well. So no, it really let's talk to him. Just let's talk to Walt.
Speaker 4: Hey, Walt, Yes, let's just let's just summarize this really simply. Yeah, you have a are you in the subdivision that the hoa, we're talking about are you in that subdivision?
Speaker 7: I am okay?
Speaker 1: And when did you buy your lot?
Speaker 7: Nineteen sixty that's when.
Speaker 1: You bought your lot.
Speaker 4: Correct, Okay, you bought your lot in nineteen sixty and it was part of a subdivision.
Speaker 1: It correct, what subdivision?
Speaker 7: We're in the Woodman Valley.
Speaker 6: And you say the county, but Camp Colira, So what county is it?
Speaker 7: I'll passle.
Speaker 4: Okay, so it's Woodman Valley subdivision and I'll PASSO County.
Speaker 1: And you say that you bought the lot.
Speaker 4: And then what happened? You said every property had an easement? Is that for a common road?
Speaker 7: Correct, there's a road that goes through the subdivision and branches off and goes to every house. Okay.
Speaker 6: And so that's how So in other words, that's how they made up the road.
Speaker 1: They took an easement from each lot.
Speaker 4: Correct, Okay, and tell me then tell your story from there then, so you all have an easement.
Speaker 7: Yes, And then then about a year ago, two years ago, there was the guy that started the subdivision. In his will, he needed a small section of that part of the property, about a half mile of the easement of the two miles of road. He dated it to us, and we're now the owners of.
Speaker 1: A half Let me ask you this. Let me ask you this.
Speaker 6: So the road takes up a number of easements, correct, And he took a and then he arbitrarily took a couple and needed them to you.
Speaker 1: What was the purpose of that?
Speaker 7: Because he no longer lived in the development and he was the last house on the road, so he had the half mile part of it that went there, but he kept that small little section going to his house so that nobody could ever make a mistake with him and try and stop him from getting to his house.
Speaker 6: So he needed it to you.
Speaker 1: But why are you?
Speaker 6: But why why didn't he need it for example, to the HOA.
Speaker 4: Why did he pick you to deed his easement? That's what he did. He needed his easement to you.
Speaker 7: He deeded it to the association, the people that take care of the road, so we're a non okay organization. He needed it to us because we take care of the road.
Speaker 1: Got it now, I know?
Speaker 4: So, so the developer deeded his easement. But here's what I want to know. Normally those easements are already part of it. So are these easements written out so they're each homeowner still owns them.
Speaker 1: Correct.
Speaker 8: And then.
Speaker 4: And he wanted to deed his to the HOA. Why that's the part I don't understand. He could have kept it the way it was, and the person who bought that property they would have had to they would have had to honor the easement. Anyway, I don't understand the reason he deeded it to the SOA.
Speaker 7: Because he was the ownership of it and he paid the taxes. So by dating it to the association, a nonprofit, he got rid of it and doesn't have to pay.
Speaker 1: Tax okay on it, and he's still going to live there.
Speaker 7: No, he passed away and willed it to us and beated it to us.
Speaker 4: But what about his lot where the house was? Was there a house on it? Did he live there?
Speaker 7: Yes?
Speaker 9: He did?
Speaker 1: And what happened to that house?
Speaker 7: It's still there, another owner has it. And because it was sold. That's when the real estate agent told us that we owned this half mile section of property which is maybe an acre just over. And now we're ok, so why.
Speaker 4: Is this causing a problem. Let me ask you this. Right now, we have a subdivision. The subdivision owns, the subdivision runs a number of to keep the road going, and part of that is a half mile of easement from the that was needed from the developer.
Speaker 1: So where do we get into a problem.
Speaker 7: We have because we're responsible for the road. If any accident or a person gets hurt on it or anything, it comes back to the association. So now we're at.
Speaker 1: Well, that's how it is ending. That's how it is with every private road.
Speaker 4: That's how it is with every private road in every subdivision. So where's the problem.
Speaker 7: Well, we're paying four thousand dollars a year liability insurance in case something goes wrong, because the agents that were selling the houses said, we're liable for everything that's going there. So we take policy to try and protect every board member.
Speaker 1: Jamie.
Speaker 4: If the easements make up a road a private road, First of all, that was done asked backwards. I've done fourteen subdivisions, and here's what you do when you want to have.
Speaker 1: When you want to have a road, you take the property and you.
Speaker 4: Make it a common easement that everyone owns that whole thing. It's not each one owns a part of it. Okay, So that was done wrong the first time. So now you have if you do a search on the road you find probably how many different deeds, how many different easements? I mean about fourteen of them? How many how many people on this road?
Speaker 7: About fourteen or fifteen?
Speaker 4: Okay, so you have fourteen or fifteen easements that make up the subdivision main road. Some of those easements or one of them, is the half mile deeded by the developer. You guys, correct have a private road and you're all responsible for it. True, you are. So what I don't understand is what do you want.
Speaker 7: Want to get rid of this piece of property so that we don't that we're not liable for anything and the county will not.
Speaker 4: Well, it's never going to it's never going to happen. If you want to dedicate your road to the county, that is a very long and involved process.
Speaker 6: I've also done that.
Speaker 4: You have to bring it up to county standards and you have to have a dedication and they have to accept it. And if they don't want to, they don't have to. But if you're part of let's say, fourteen people in a subdivision, there's no way that you're going to escape liability for the road, not just your section, but for the whole road. Everyone in the hoa that took on the road to maintain is responsible for everything that goes on.
Speaker 1: But really and truly, the way you would.
Speaker 4: Do it is you would ensure your land and your house, and the other thirteen people would ensure their land their house. And since the easeman is part of your land and the other Eastman is part of their land, then if anything ever happened on that particular easement, that particular insurance company would fight it. So, you guys, in an effort to try to do this the right way, did everything wrong, I sugured.
Speaker 1: So, I mean, that's that's just the long and short of it.
Speaker 4: So in order to correct this, what you what you would do is have a homeowner's meeting where you all agree to deed the property to the entity Okay, h oo A LLC, whatever the name of it is, Woodman Valley LLC, Woodman Valley, HOA, You guys would all deed the property to that entity.
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 4: Now that entity would then maintain and keep that road, but the liability would be limited to that entity. So if someone got hurt on any section of that road, since it's all now owned by Woodman Valley LLC, they would only they can only go after Woodman Valley LLC. They won't be able to go after Walt personally.
Speaker 1: That's the way to have this corrected. Now.
Speaker 4: Is Woodman Valley an incorporated HOA.
Speaker 7: No, we're just an association that takes care of the road.
Speaker 4: Okay, but you said a nonprofit. Who says your nonprofit?
Speaker 7: That's the way everything was set up as a nonprofit because nobody in.
Speaker 1: The you just said.
Speaker 4: You just said you're not incorporated. You just said you're not incorporated. Then you said it was set up as a nonprofit. Well, it's either one or the other. Are you set up as a legal entity? Can I look you up in the state? Can I find an LLC Woodman Valley or whatever you are? What's the name of your HOA organization?
Speaker 7: Woodman Valley Improvement Association.
Speaker 1: If I look that up, is it an LLC with a state.
Speaker 7: As a nonprofit?
Speaker 4: Yes, well, then you are an incorporation. Why did you say you're not.
Speaker 7: Because I didn't know.
Speaker 4: Well, you went to the state and formed illegal Well who is in charge there? I'm assuming it's not you? Who's in charge of this whole thing?
Speaker 7: We have four people that are board members that.
Speaker 4: Okay, do they want does everyone want to do does everyone want to do the same thing? Does everyone want to get out of personal liability?
Speaker 7: Yes?
Speaker 1: Okay, Then to do what I say.
Speaker 4: All right, you got to get you got to form this entity or make sure it's formed properly. And if it's formed properly, now all of you have to deed your property, your easements.
Speaker 1: To this entity.
Speaker 4: This entity has to be written up as the sole responsible party for maintenance of this road. If someone gets into trouble in the future, if someone crashes or rolls over and says the road was not properly maintained, they can only go after Woodman Valley Improvement Association. They can't go after the individuals. That's the reason for a limited liability company. I have to take a break. If you have any other questions, you can ask them. But that's exactly what you're supposed to do. I'm Tom Martinez. Three h three seven to one three talk seven one three eight two five to five. New Home Innovations for the most beautiful showers you.
Speaker 1: Can find inside and out.
Speaker 4: They have these porcelain walls that are second to none. They are absolutely gorgeous porcelain. They can put the porcelain all through your bathroom. They can do it in the shower enclosure. But you will love renew Renew Home Innovations dot com and they can do it in two or three days, and you have all kinds of options to pay. Three oh three nine zero four two thousand. Call them for the most beautiful shower conversions three oh three nine zero four two thousand. Go with a sure thing Denver's best roofer Excel Roofing dot com.
Speaker 1: You don't pay a cent until you're contenth.
Speaker 4: Time for an insurance check up free no obligation comparison call Compass Insurance. Paying too much your coverage at dozens of insurance companies find out now three oh three seven seven to one help. You'll think you're his only customer when you choose Frank durand the real estate Man dot com to list your home with Remax Alliance three oh three nine two zero sixteen twenty two. Hi Tom Martino, your troubleshooter three oh three seven one three talks seven one three two five hive.
Speaker 1: I want to simplify this.
Speaker 4: As a developer of many, many years, fourteen subdivisions plus commercial developments, I can tell you what it works. When you have a subdivision. You can do a county road from the beginning, dedicate it to the county, get their permission, and build it according to them. They come out and expect it.
Speaker 6: At the end.
Speaker 4: You have a subdivision bordering a county road. Or you can do a private road where the HOA takes an access easement to each property. The HOA owns it, runs it, and maintains it. Then the most the worst way to do it in the world is to take individual easements from each lot and maintain a road with everyone individually responsible. It's ridiculous. To get out of that vault. It's a very simple process. You guys get together as NHOA, make sure it's a legal HOA and that you are incorporated as an LLC.
Speaker 1: And what you do is this. You all deed your.
Speaker 4: Easements to the count to the to the LLC, to the HOA with the express understanding that the HOA was formed to take care and maintain that road.
Speaker 1: That's it. That's it.
Speaker 4: Now you have an LLC and if you have to collect dues to keep that up, you all chip in dues, you vote dues, you do everything.
Speaker 6: You would normally do with any LLC.
Speaker 4: Now, let's say someone comes in and they roll their car and they say this road was not crowned properly, or this road is dangerous.
Speaker 1: I'm going to sue, So they start suing.
Speaker 4: The only people they can sue if you did this legally, are is the is the entity that owns it, the hoa LLC. They can't go out and get Walt personally. So if your people want to know how to do it, they should talk to an attorney.
Speaker 6: I've done so many of these. It's easy. You need the easements to an LLC. The LLC has limited liability. Do you have any follow up question?
Speaker 7: So we don't have to worry about the road at all as far as what we own.
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 6: If you need your easement to the LLLC, you no longer own it.
Speaker 1: The LLC owns it. Okay.
Speaker 7: Perfect. Thank you so much for clarifying everything.
Speaker 6: But get legal advice. What I'm giving you is not legal advice. It's life advice from I've done it. I've been there, and I've done it. It's not some BS advice. Okay, that's the way you do it. The HO is going to own that road.
Speaker 7: Is there an attorney that we want to go. Is there a person that actually we cannot.
Speaker 4: I don't know if Brad O'Brien might be. He's a real estate attorney, but I'm not sure. If he does subdivisions and formations of planned unit developments PUDs, I'm not sure, but I would start with O'Brien for sure. Brad O'Brien is the real estate attorney now.
Speaker 1: But what it's a very simple thing.
Speaker 4: You're looking for an entity to own the easements, own them, own them. You no longer own that property, it's owned.
Speaker 1: By the HOA.
Speaker 4: Then you guys come up with a due structure that works, and you come up with a leader or whatever, and you have elections on it. But just because you're part of an LLC doesn't mean they can sue you personally. They can't. Okay, so that's what you want. Thank you, wal. I hope everything goes well for you. Three oh three seven one three A two five five. We have a problem with Verizon. Go ahead, Robert, what is it?
Speaker 9: That's me two years ago?
Speaker 10: Yes, sir, in an idiot. He just landed at my doorstep. I didn't order a phone, so I okay. I took the phone called a Verizon what the heck's going on? Oh that shouldn't have went to you. That was supposed to be intercepted and kept by fed Ex. And I said, okay, what's going on. Oh there's Straweda in your account. Well nobody's notified me, so anyhow.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's a scam. The whole the whole cell phone thing is a scam. So what happened? Then a cell phone showed up at your door, well without you ever ordering one.
Speaker 10: So I called Verizon and I said, hey, I'm doing upgrade anyhow, So it's.
Speaker 9: A better phone.
Speaker 10: Why don't we just take the mistake. I'll take the phone. I'll send this one back to you and let's call it a wash and whatever paints.
Speaker 4: But were you really dealing were you really dealing with Verizon at that point?
Speaker 10: I was dealing with Verizon most certainly was dealing with Okay.
Speaker 1: Well, okay, then I don't think it's a scam.
Speaker 4: So it showed up at your door by mistake, and you said I want to keep it anyway?
Speaker 10: Yeah, I was due my phone, was okay, do an upgrade? Spent two years? Yeah, of that time, so I got it. So then worked with Verizon to you know, get everything straightened out. And then maybe three days later, I got another phone coming to me. I was like, huh, and I got to notice from fed X that you got delivery. So I comes to my door the FedEx stribber. I said, it's not my phone, take it back.
Speaker 9: He says, how about it?
Speaker 4: Can I ask you this, Robert, Robert, can I ask you this? Yeah, when the first phone showed up and you decided to keep it, did you get it actually working under your old number?
Speaker 9: Yes? I did.
Speaker 10: I called them up, had him, swooped, sought the stem up everything.
Speaker 4: Okay, got it, And so you got that phone, that first one virtually free.
Speaker 10: No, no, I was making payments on it.
Speaker 1: Okay. Then the second show the second one showed up.
Speaker 10: Literally three days later, and I told I refused the phone. So that one goes back. About a week later, I get another phone. Then, uh, I called him again, Hey man.
Speaker 9: I got this.
Speaker 10: Well, uh, you have to type in your sight to go to type in my pin.
Speaker 9: My pen don't work. They've got my pin.
Speaker 10: So then okay, what do we got to do. Well, I can't change your pin on the phone. You're gonna have to go to the store because of the fraud. Okay, so it's I think it was one store open. I live in Oregon, so I had to drive all the way over from More. I'm way out of town into Springfield. I get to the store there, walk in and app to wait in a line, and then out says, oh, you have to go through fraud prevention.
Speaker 9: That's on not eight hundred number.
Speaker 4: Now let me ask you something. Is this with the third phone in hand? Or did you never get the third phone?
Speaker 7: I didn't take.
Speaker 9: Anything after that. I sold the fed Ex driver. I said, you see him, just send them back.
Speaker 4: Okay, I got it. I got it. So where do you stand right now? What's the problem right now?
Speaker 10: Well I had I had argued with them and argued with them, and they wouldn't take that off. Any of these phones are anything off my belt. So that's when I went down to the store and was.
Speaker 6: Wait, wait, wait, wait, So all three hold on, hold on, all three phones you're telling me are on your account.
Speaker 10: At that point, yes, And there was more. There was more than that. There was also all of a sudden, a Walmart charge off your phone account popped up to walk into Walmart, scan the thing, and it's yours.
Speaker 1: So I call it, so I'm very interested.
Speaker 4: Wait a minute, I'm very interested in this because this was targeted. Yet when you called Verizon about the first one, they acknowledged that.
Speaker 1: It was a mistake, right, yep, sure did, and.
Speaker 4: You said, well, even though it's a mistake, I want to upgrade anyway, so I'll just keep it. Then after that a second one came. Did Verizon say the second one.
Speaker 6: Was a mistake.
Speaker 10: Yes, they told me it was fraud and I shouldn't have got to my doorstep.
Speaker 4: And I said, well, it's well, hold on, a mistake or fraud, there's two different things.
Speaker 1: You said.
Speaker 6: The first one was a mistake. It was the first one. Every one of them you got was fraud.
Speaker 4: But now it seems very odd to me that the first phone was delivered in a fraudulent scheme and Verizon let you keep it.
Speaker 9: Don't ask me. They did, And I've been arguing ever since.
Speaker 6: All right, what are you arguing about that? What are you arguing about?
Speaker 10: What happened? Because I keep getting these phones and keep sending them back. But when the Walmart thing came up and I had my pen, well, now I.
Speaker 9: Got big concerns.
Speaker 10: So that's when I started making more phone calls to him, and finally it was like, well, you got to go to the store.
Speaker 9: So I go down the store.
Speaker 4: How many phones at all? How many phones it all kept showing up? Are we talking about a dozen?
Speaker 10: I quit counting.
Speaker 9: I quick count there was maybe five would day three. The next.
Speaker 10: I was having fun just to gome on to look at the FedEx thing anymore, because I'd see it's coming to me.
Speaker 7: Wow.
Speaker 4: Then, so where does this stand right now? Are every one of those phones that showed up? Are they on your account?
Speaker 10: At this point, I'm not even sure what's on there anymore.
Speaker 9: It's like three.
Speaker 4: Well, no, here's what I'm asking. It's very easy, Robert. When did all this start?
Speaker 5: Was?
Speaker 9: What to two and a half years ago?
Speaker 4: Okay, here's what I'm going to ask you, because you said you don't know, yes you do.
Speaker 6: Are you paying for one phone? Are you paying for five phones?
Speaker 10: I have dropped Verizon totally and went to a different company.
Speaker 1: Okay, are you being billed by Verizon?
Speaker 9: I have a big bill by Verizon for three thousand dollars.
Speaker 1: Okay, and they're saying it's for five phones.
Speaker 10: And now Tom, I admit to owing part of that because I was paying on the phones. But I don't owe the full amount for this phone.
Speaker 1: I don't.
Speaker 10: I just don't owe these full months.
Speaker 9: And they're trying to charge me.
Speaker 4: Robert, according to your story about six or seven phones showed up at your house and you only kept one of them. What I'm asking you is, before you left Horizon, were you paying on six or seven phones or one?
Speaker 1: No?
Speaker 10: Just I was paying on a boom. I was paying on two, two, three, three with phone.
Speaker 9: Numbers?
Speaker 1: Why with my pad?
Speaker 4: Why were you paying for Why were you paying for three? Why were you paying for three phones?
Speaker 10: That was my original plan with Verizon, three phones. I had iPad and two phones.
Speaker 4: Okay, the other phones that you sent back, the other phones that you refused, Okay, where are they? Does Verizon think they're yours?
Speaker 10: No, they're at the Verizon warehouse wherever they went.
Speaker 11: They know that.
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 4: Now, why are you concerned if Verizon has a bill with you and you're not with them anymore?
Speaker 1: Just ignore the bill. It was all fraudulent.
Speaker 10: They were charging me over on each bill because they were charging me for like four phones, five phones, and I didn't own that me.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but they but you never had them. What difference does it make. It's all fraudulent bill.
Speaker 9: They wouldn't take it off there they shoot.
Speaker 1: They don't have to take it off. You just don't.
Speaker 4: Just don't pay it. They'll never prove it was yours. Hold on, I got to come right back. Hang on, bro, I have to take a break. Three h three seven one three eight two five five. Go with a sure thing Denver's Best roofer Excel Roofing dot com. You don't pay a cent until you're content. Time for an insurance check up free, no obligation. In comparison, call Compass Insurance paying too much your coverage at dozens of insurance company lease find out now three all three seven seven to one.
Speaker 1: Help.
Speaker 4: You'll think you're his only customer when you choose Frank durand the real estate Man dot com to list your home with Remax Alliance three all three nine two zero sixteen twenty two. Hi, Tom Martino, your troubleshooter three all three seven one three talks seven one three eight two five y five. Now, Robert, there's something that I tell people to do when situations get so complicated they're hard to unravel. What you're saying is about two years ago, a cell phone showed up at your door without you ordering it.
Speaker 1: They said it was a mistake.
Speaker 4: You said, I'll keep it anyway, and then you used it as an upgrade. Then one phone after another, after another, after another after another showed up.
Speaker 1: Seven, six or seven phones.
Speaker 4: You got disgusted with Verizon and went to a whole different company. Did you keep any of the phones from Verizon?
Speaker 9: I kept all three.
Speaker 1: You kept three of the seven, yep, And I.
Speaker 10: Owe partial bills on those phones, and I admit that.
Speaker 1: Okay, Then what you do is this. Then you write. You write a.
Speaker 4: Letter very easily, an email or whatever you know, not a let you know what I mean. You write to them saying I acknowledge that I kept three of the phones, and I incurred this much.
Speaker 10: In billing that I already did.
Speaker 1: All right, then that's all you need to do.
Speaker 4: Then you ignore them and let me explain what I mean by that.
Speaker 10: What I've got now, Robert, it's on my credit report. And then the other thing that happened to me.
Speaker 4: Is well you can test it. You can test it on your credit report. Robert, if you listen for a second, then you can tell me what you don't want to do.
Speaker 1: But here's what people should do.
Speaker 9: Can I tell you this real quick talk?
Speaker 1: Go ahead?
Speaker 9: Okay.
Speaker 10: What I did is I refinanced through UH. I got rid of my COVID hangover included.
Speaker 11: On my dead out.
Speaker 10: So I have a check for Verizon for three thousand dollars, but I'm going to refuse. I'll eat the cost before I send that check in.
Speaker 4: Now, why do you this three thousand is what you don't think you owe?
Speaker 1: How much do you think you're around? His mortgage is what he's saying.
Speaker 10: I around fifteen half of it.
Speaker 4: Okay, But now I'm going to tell you that the strategy I tell some consumers to do when things cannot come to a head, you just do nothing.
Speaker 1: Here's what happens.
Speaker 6: It forces the other party to take action, and if you are secure in your records.
Speaker 1: And what you say, they will never prove their case.
Speaker 6: It actually benefits you if they take it to court because you actually get to tell your story.
Speaker 1: You just forget about them. But what I'm saying now.
Speaker 10: Is it's tempted to actually take them to court and myself file for us small but.
Speaker 4: You have you have nothing to take them to court. You have nothing to sue for. Yeah, okay, then why were you tempted to take them to court just.
Speaker 10: Because I give you fifteen or you know, work it down, work it through the judge.
Speaker 9: It was my opinion.
Speaker 4: Okay, Robert, you have nothing to sue for. You haven't paid him anything. You have nothing to sue for. You can't sue them just because.
Speaker 1: Robert. I'm going to say this once again.
Speaker 4: You write to them and tell them exactly what you think you owe and offer an amount in final settlement and then leave it and make them come after you.
Speaker 1: It's that easy.
Speaker 6: If you only kept three phones and you have records.
Speaker 1: Of that, that's what you pay.
Speaker 4: The rest they would have to prove they're never going to do it. As far as your credit report, you can test it. That's all I can tell you. I'm not going to keep going over and over and over and over with the same advice.
Speaker 1: Thank you.
Speaker 4: You tell me what happens. They're not gonna come after you. Chris has a quick follow up question on on something, but I'm gonna have to wait till after this.
Speaker 1: Chris, hang on, I'll come right to you.
Speaker 4: Go with a sure thing Denver's Best Roofer Excel roofing dot com. You don't pay a cent until you're content, wait time for an insurance check up free, no obligation. In comparison, call Compass insurance paying too much your coverage at dozens of insurance companies find out now three all three seven to seven to one. Help You'll think you're his only customer when you choose Frank durand the real estate Man dot com to list your home with Remax Alliance three all three nine two zero sixteen twenty two. Tom Martino, Now, Chris has a question, Chris, what's going on?
Speaker 1: Man?
Speaker 9: Yeah, yeah, Hi, good morning.
Speaker 12: I just have a follow up question on a call earlier as a recap. I had a tailor that jack knifed and lost the container I was hauling, and insurance didn't cover it. The container was.
Speaker 4: Insurance didn't Insurance didn't cover what hold on, Chris, Insurance didn't cover the container.
Speaker 12: They didn't cover the towing and storage of the container.
Speaker 1: Okay, got it.
Speaker 12: So my question is if I abandoned the container, what is the probability of the toe company coming after me?
Speaker 1: Civilly?
Speaker 4: Well, okay, was that the only thing that was towed or was everything towed?
Speaker 1: Under one bill.
Speaker 12: No, it was only the container.
Speaker 1: Well, okay, so when.
Speaker 4: You got into this accident, the container came off the trailer.
Speaker 1: Is that right?
Speaker 13: That's correct?
Speaker 1: How big is the container?
Speaker 12: It's an eight by thirteen weighs about forty.
Speaker 1: Okay?
Speaker 4: And who and did it roll off the road or was it blocking traffic?
Speaker 1: Why was it?
Speaker 4: Why was it hoisted and taken away by a tow company?
Speaker 9: Yeah it was.
Speaker 12: It was on a mountain road and was an impediment.
Speaker 4: Now, okay, who told them to take it away? Did the state police or.
Speaker 1: Did you.
Speaker 9: Did? I? The I did?
Speaker 4: Okay, Then you're responsible for that bill. If your insurance doesn't pay and you want to forfeit that trailer, I mean that container and its contents, that's really up to the towing company what they want to do. They can choose to come after you personally for just the job, or they can let it go. It would be best to.
Speaker 6: Try to negotiate, because it's just better that way.
Speaker 1: But you are responsible. We got more coming up on the Troubleshooter Show.
Speaker 4: Go with a sure Thing Denver's Best Roofer Excel roofing dot com. You don't pay a cent until you're content time for an insurance check up free, no obligation. In comparison, call Compass Insurance paying too much your coverage at dozens of insurance companies find out now three oh three seven seven to one help. You'll think you're his only customer when you choose Frank durand the real estate Man dot com to list your home with Remax Alliance three oh three nine two zero sixteen twenty two.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you need advice, so you don't have.
Speaker 3: Run as fast as we can. Shooter's gonna help. Come.
Speaker 14: This is the Troubleshooter Show. No Tom Martinez.
Speaker 4: Hey, I'm Tom Martino. Thank you for being here as we've.
Speaker 6: Been doing for forty five years.
Speaker 1: Oh my gosh in Denver alone.
Speaker 4: That's the longest running radio show with the same host currently on the air. And we are solving problems, answering questions, taking complaints.
Speaker 1: So welcome to the show. Let's talk.
Speaker 4: We have in the studio Joseph Caiano, certified financial planner, and we also have a major, Mark Major and deputy doc.
Speaker 6: And then I'm in the home studio.
Speaker 1: We're kicking butt today and every day.
Speaker 4: So Joe, I have a text free text for you and they want to know about this movie thing they went to the last one.
Speaker 6: Is it the same movie? They want to know?
Speaker 1: And it I mean, it doesn't matter if it is or isn't.
Speaker 4: But this one already saw that movie and wanted to know if this is a new one.
Speaker 15: No, it's not a new one, Tom, It's actually the same movie. We had so many requests to show again.
Speaker 4: Well, but you want new people anyway, because the ones that saw it, they took action. So if you saw the movie, it is the same movie. But I would say Joe, that new information comes out all the time, even with the same movie because you take questions and.
Speaker 15: Answers right that are absolutely right. You know, we as an educational movie. So if somebody saw the movie already, they can set up an appointment and an individual appointment with me so they can come to the office or do a zoom or do a telephone call and we can answer all their questions and we can actually talk about the main parts of the movie and how they those apply to the individual.
Speaker 4: And so the movie event we're talking about is on.
Speaker 1: Tuesday, that twenty fifth Tuesday, and it's at and the theater is what area.
Speaker 15: It's called the Highlands Ranch AMC twenty four and the movie begins at seven o'clock, but we ask people to please arrive at least thirty minutes early. We provide the sessions and they're.
Speaker 4: Going to be refreshments and everything, and refreshments and information. So, uh, just mark that on your calendars. You can call three oh three. Let's see. So what seven seven nine sixty six hundred. Is that what number you want?
Speaker 15: Yes, Dom, you know three o three seven seven nine sixty six hundred. Do you think I'll actually go to the website and sign up? It's called my Money, My moneymway dot com.
Speaker 1: All right, let's talk to Jeff.
Speaker 4: Jeff by the way, anyone can call us at three oh three, seven to one three talk. That's the studing number, and iHeart and Denver. We also have the national number we use, which is mine three oh three Martino three oh three six two seven eight four sixty six and that number comes through to us twenty four to seven, and we will put you on the show. Hey, Jeff, you want to talk about a bank issue?
Speaker 6: What's going on?
Speaker 1: Jeff?
Speaker 13: By Tom or Hey, we're just completing a trust and uh, we've got a ten ninety nine from a bank in anstest park and uh, we're going to close this check.
Speaker 1: Now, what does the Troy wait about it?
Speaker 4: Did the trust get the ten ninety nine?
Speaker 13: No, a personal ten ninety nine to my mother in law?
Speaker 4: And okay, I don't understand what the trust has to do with it. Tell the story, go ahead.
Speaker 13: They're telling that, telling us that the account was opened in a trust with her name on it, and they can't do anything with the funds or until they can see the trust.
Speaker 1: So let me get this straight. Is this your your mother in law?
Speaker 9: Right?
Speaker 1: Yes?
Speaker 13: Uh huh? And her husband is she deceived your before she is?
Speaker 1: Okay? So they're they're both they're both passed away.
Speaker 9: Yes, sir.
Speaker 4: And there's a bank account owned by the trust.
Speaker 7: Well, we didn't know that it was even there.
Speaker 13: Until we got this king ninety nine.
Speaker 9: They have been paid, I get it.
Speaker 4: A bank account. The bank account is owned by your mother in law's estate. That's what I mean, whether you knew about it or not, is that true? In fact, that the that it was owned by your mother in law's.
Speaker 1: Estate, it was okay?
Speaker 4: Was it a personal account or was it a business account?
Speaker 13: Well, on this ten ninety nine it says on the interest statement for twenty twenty four. It's a personal account and then we have the account number for it.
Speaker 4: But okay, right, But was it transferred Jeff? Was it transferred to the trust upon her death or was it put in the trust while she was alive?
Speaker 13: It was put in the trust while she was alive.
Speaker 4: Okay, Why did she do it? What does the trust say about that bank account? Because you have a trust and you were looking through it, what does it say to do with the bank accounts?
Speaker 13: Yeah, we don't have the trust. We never had the trust, and we have a family trust, so that okay.
Speaker 4: But the mother in law. Did the mother in law have her own trust?
Speaker 13: It sounds like at one time she did, but we didn't know anything about it. The trust that we have family trust with her and her rest okay, husband.
Speaker 4: And uh and and the bank the bank does not. What is the name of the trust that the bank says owns this account. Is it different than the family trust?
Speaker 6: It is?
Speaker 7: It's under her name only, Okay, her name.
Speaker 4: And they and they say to you, and they say to you, they won't give you any information on this account unless they know you're authorized by the trust.
Speaker 1: Is that right, right?
Speaker 13: And we sent them we're authorized on the family trust.
Speaker 9: We do not have this trust or.
Speaker 1: They well, they don't care about that, Jeff. They don't care about that.
Speaker 4: This trust that was formed by your mother in law for whatever reason, we don't know, has does it have more than that bank account in it?
Speaker 6: Do you know?
Speaker 1: No, that's it? And how do you know that that?
Speaker 13: I'm sorry, how.
Speaker 1: Do you know what the trust? How do you know what that trust owns?
Speaker 13: Well, it's just a personal trust. According to the bank, our trust is.
Speaker 4: And how do you know And how do you know that personal trust doesn't own a castle in Great Britain?
Speaker 13: I don't.
Speaker 6: Jeff, I'm asking this is.
Speaker 1: A real question.
Speaker 6: What you said that this account showed up.
Speaker 4: Via A ten ninety nine? You went, wait a minute, what account is this? The bank says, oh, it's owned by mom in law's trust, and you said, okay, let's.
Speaker 1: Find out about it. No, you can't not.
Speaker 4: Unless you're authorized by the trust. And you say, wait a minute, we only have the family trust. And the bank says, that's not the trust we're talking about. And then Jeff says, what trust are you talking about? And now you don't know anything about that trust? So it could have ten other bank accounts in it. You have no idea what that trust owns.
Speaker 1: Is that correct?
Speaker 13: That's correct?
Speaker 4: Okay, Well, now we got something to go on. We have a trust somewhere sitting out there, and the question is how do you find details about a trust since they're made specifically not.
Speaker 1: To be public.
Speaker 4: Okay, So we have to find out did the bank have any suggestions? And by the way, sus, what I would do, sus.
Speaker 1: Is call.
Speaker 4: I would call uh Dan mackenzie. Let's see if we can get them on. We're going to call an attorney and we want to call in a state planning attorney to see if he has any information.
Speaker 1: But did the bank tell you what they needed?
Speaker 13: Well, they told us a number of things. We've sent them the the will, the first and second causles of their will that we sent them, the family trust and yeah, certificate for Francis for the mother in law.
Speaker 4: Does it do any other relatives know anything at all about this trust?
Speaker 13: We don't know anything about it?
Speaker 6: Okay, hold on, let's try it.
Speaker 4: Okay, Okay, she obviously had a reason to form this.
Speaker 6: How much was the ten ninety nine and what was the ten ninety nine four.
Speaker 13: The ten ninety nine is for interest, and it was seven ninety five dollars. And that's the only thing that's on here other than her name.
Speaker 1: And was that for a was that for a year? Sir?
Speaker 13: Thanks for twenty twenty four?
Speaker 4: Yes, So if a bank account made seven hundred dollars in twenty twenty four, what interest rate do you think that a bank would pay?
Speaker 1: What?
Speaker 4: Two or three percent? Maybe two per percent if anything? So that's a sizeable account.
Speaker 9: Yeah.
Speaker 13: I have a list from my father in law that he wrote back in four eight of twenty eleven. It says, yeah, Colorado Bank, wats this park head thirty seven thousand, six hundred and forty seven dollars in it?
Speaker 6: And is that the one we're talking about?
Speaker 16: Yes?
Speaker 17: Huh?
Speaker 13: Is that we're guessing that?
Speaker 4: Yeah, that sounds like that sounds like a small account. That sounds like a small account. Listen, hang on all right, hang on and we'll come right back to you and more.
Speaker 1: Three oh three seven one three, talk three seven or straight two five to five. Listen.
Speaker 4: Water Pros has the best water system right now that you can buy, and they have it for the best price anywhere in the country. You will never find a water softener, a forever chemical eliminator, a chlorine reducer or eliminator, and soft water and drinking water with reverse osmosis, all for under four grand. It is the most incredible deal you'll ever find in the water business. That's why I represent him.
Speaker 6: Paul Thewaterman Waterpros dot net three o three eight six two five five five four. Go with a sure thing Denver's best roofer Excel Roofing dot com.
Speaker 1: You don't pay a cent until you're content.
Speaker 4: Time for an insurance checkup free, no obligation comparison call Compass Insurance paying too much your coverage at dozens of insurance companies find out now three oh three seven seven to one help. You'll think you're his only customer when you choose Frank Durand the real estate Man dot com to list your home with Remax Alliance three oh three nine two zero sixteen twenty two. Pay Tom Martino. You're a troubleshooter. Yeah, the camera just.
Speaker 1: Can back up for those who's watching.
Speaker 6: If you're wondering, Yeah, just came back up, all right.
Speaker 1: So listen, people.
Speaker 4: At bank account Jet, we're going to get an attorney on and we don't have to bring you back up right now. But I'm figuring that bank account's about fifty grand.
Speaker 1: That's what I'm guessing.
Speaker 4: At one point five percent would pay about seven seven hundred and fifty bucks, So it's probably more money than you think. The question is why didn't she ever mention it in anything else. We'll figure it out. Deputy Bow is in the studio. Deputy Bow welcome again, Hello, how are you going?
Speaker 7: Bro?
Speaker 4: Now, you this was a really interesting problem the sewer gas and we thought, you know what, this might have been a weird problem and maybe she was exaggerating or whatever, but she said it was so bad she could hardly stand living here.
Speaker 1: And you went over and checked it out, right.
Speaker 18: Bo, Yes, I went over Saturday. I wanted to check it out because sometimes these.
Speaker 19: Callers you never know. But she is not in this case. Peggy is not exaggerating. She was so sick.
Speaker 18: Well, she's doing chemo treatment. She's been doing chemo for about three years. And when I went into her apartment, she could barely get off the couch. And I investigated, checked out her HVAC system, the air handler. She is definitely getting a poop smell for lack of better words.
Speaker 6: And now is she tell me what? What is she?
Speaker 4: In?
Speaker 1: A condo, a town home, a house? What is it?
Speaker 19: Okay? It's called tamar And Hall.
Speaker 18: It's at the old nursing school dormitory for Children's hospital. The built it's about a four or five story building. I think there's eighty units over on nineteenth at Ogden.
Speaker 1: Is it a condo? Does she own it or rent?
Speaker 20: It?
Speaker 19: Is an apartment? It's low income house?
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 18: So investigated and then I knocked on a few other apartments while I was there. I couldn't get the I couldn't smell this odor and other apartments. But Peggy's got a main tenanch duck going through her apartment, whereas the other apartments did not. And I'll tell you Tom, I can only spend about fifteen minutes in her apartment and I had to get out, that's how bad the smell is.
Speaker 19: And she is not exactly but it's only from her apartment.
Speaker 1: From what it's only in her apartment, yes.
Speaker 18: But I believe there's other people that are getting to smell because the management company has very strong air freshener sense in the hallways. So I think they're trying to mask it. So anyway, this is where it stands. I called the management company three times, I knocked on the door, sent an email, no response, so I went ahead and called. I filed a complaint with the caller out of the Department of Health, and I had good and I got hold of the an inspector. Friend at Denver Way Wastewater filed a complaint there. So the State of Colorado did go over there yesterday at eleven o'clock to conduct an investigation.
Speaker 19: And I just haven't.
Speaker 18: Heard, but I believe the odors coming from a cracked vent line or a pea trap. And also I went over across the street with my binoculars to look at the roof.
Speaker 19: There's some exhaust.
Speaker 18: Fans on this old building, and the exhaust fans may not be running, but there was no way I could.
Speaker 19: Get access to check it.
Speaker 18: But the State of Colorado is involved, and I'd sure like to have them may well.
Speaker 4: Part who went out and investigated from the State Colorado Department of Health his English Rosenberg.
Speaker 18: And then I have another person, he's actually an old friend of mine, Fred Barra, from Denver Wastewater. Since it could be a wastewater sewage issue, he went over yesterday too, So hopefully by the end of the show or later this afternoon, I'll get an update as to what they have found.
Speaker 19: But this management company needs.
Speaker 18: To get this lady relocated or find her another place, because it's unbearable.
Speaker 19: I'm going to get the bottom.
Speaker 1: Thank you BO for doing that.
Speaker 4: I mean you, you know, going the extra min like that and visiting her and then going across the street to look upon a roof. That's ingenius, because of a blocked vent on the roof can cause all kinds of trouble. But what's really queer about this one is it's only her place, which tells us it's got to be something local to her apartment.
Speaker 1: Now does she have people above and below her?
Speaker 18: She has a floor above her. I was only able to get into one apartment.
Speaker 6: So she on the ground floor? Is she on the ground floor?
Speaker 19: She's in on the fourth floor.
Speaker 1: Oh wow?
Speaker 4: And yeah, Now when you approach her apartment, when you're in the hallway, do you smell anything?
Speaker 19: Okay, this is interesting.
Speaker 18: The hallway, I can't smell anything because the management company has these air fresheners going in the hallways. But when I went into her this is what happens. This smell is really pungent when she turns her heater on or the air conditioner, so the odor is being carried through the ventilation system. Now when she has the heat off for the AC off, it's still there, but it's not as bad.
Speaker 1: Okay, by that's very weird. Thank you.
Speaker 19: We're gonna find out what the cause is.
Speaker 1: Okay, Now, Deputy Doc has an update. Thank you for it. By the way, we really appreciate that, Bow.
Speaker 6: Doc.
Speaker 1: You have an update.
Speaker 20: Remember Hetty couldn't get a phone to work because there's her wrong kind of phone it.
Speaker 1: Was, and well she thought, yeah, yeah, she had an.
Speaker 4: IP phone, right, and she was trying to plug it into a regular landline right.
Speaker 20: So I told her to just go over to microcenter and tell them what's going on. She went there, they fixed it.
Speaker 4: Now, how did she get that? How did she get that IP phone to begin with?
Speaker 20: I don't remember, Tom, I didn't I didn't ask her about how she had Originally, I just hold her to go to uh micro Center, talk to them about what's going on and see if they could help her. And they she had a new phone and everything was fixed and she's able to UH also, yeah.
Speaker 1: No fooling.
Speaker 4: So they were able to help her out to get a landline that worked.
Speaker 6: Yes, And what happened to the other one, the IP phone?
Speaker 19: I guess I don't know. I guess she sent it back.
Speaker 20: I didn't ask because I'm just happy that she had a phone to work and that she had phones.
Speaker 4: Absolutely, so absolutely that deserves a dinger.
Speaker 1: I love using my dinger.
Speaker 6: Dingers are good to have.
Speaker 20: I think Bo gets a bigger dinger than that.
Speaker 6: No, no, Bo's gonna get the dinger. But it's the it's it's the midway dinger.
Speaker 4: Okay, he's getting No, he's getting the show on the road for damn sure. He got the State Department over there of health, and that's really great.
Speaker 1: And yeah, he does deserve a bit of a dinger.
Speaker 4: And then the real dinger comes when that when when they say to the landlord, fix this. You know that's I love it. You know what, here's what I love. People have nowhere to go.
Speaker 1: They really don't.
Speaker 6: They said, what the hell am I going to do? They call us, so people spread the word that. You know, this show.
Speaker 4: Developed many many, many many years ago, is still going strong. Why because we help people three oh three seven.
Speaker 6: Five.
Speaker 20: You always talk about how much money that you saved people on your show. Yeah, but think about all the stuff we do that doesn't, you know, translate into monetary rewards, but helps people in ways like Bo, there's no you know, the one with the gas that you can't put a price on that.
Speaker 1: How much is that? That's right? That's that's right, woman, Yeah, that's right.
Speaker 4: Three oh three seven one three talk seven one three eight two five five Bo.
Speaker 1: We really appreciate it, Doc, We really appreciate it.
Speaker 4: We have more coming up, you know. It's the secret is being being consistent. One Clear Choice Garage Doors. You want to talk about a great company for garage doors, One Clear Choice Garage Doors. I can't say anything more than they're unbelievable twenty four to seven service, great people, great service. So give them a call with any garage door problems. Go to their website and you can see everything they do and all of the prices. The only people that do that. One Clear Choice Stores dot Com seven two zero three seven zero thirty nine eighty seven. Go with a sure thing Denver's Best roofer Excel Roofing dot com.
Speaker 1: You don't pay a cent until you're content.
Speaker 4: Time for an insurance check free, no obligation in comparison, call Compass Insurance paying too much your coverage at dozens of insurance companies find out now three oh three seven seven to one help. You'll think you're his only customer when you choose Frank durand the real estate man dot com to list your home with Remax Alliance three all three nine two zero sixteen twenty two. Hey Tom Martino here three oh three seven one three talks seven one three eight two five five. Welcome to the show, and we have Dan McKenzie with us.
Speaker 6: Now.
Speaker 4: Dan McKenzie does a state planning, which are wills and trusts facing probate, avoiding probate? Anything to do with U state planning A three three co plans. He's live and local. That number just happens to be very convenient. A three three COO plans Dan very interesting. So Jeff is handling the estate of his mother in life law and the ten ninety nine shows up for about seven hundred bucks. I'm figuring that's probably on an account at a bank of about fifty grand, maybe forty to fifty grand on what banks pay.
Speaker 1: And he calls the bank and the.
Speaker 4: Bank says, yeah, this is your mother in law's account and it's owned by her trust, and he wants to get more information, you know, to distribute it as part of her estate.
Speaker 1: And Jeff, what did they tell you?
Speaker 13: It's been going on for about a month. They told me that they can't give me any information on this and that it is a CD and a trust and I have the account number.
Speaker 9: And everything on it, and.
Speaker 13: She's they won't give me any information. They told me that I have to get a turn me opinion letter and fill out the certification of trust. Well I don't.
Speaker 1: Okay, let's stop right there.
Speaker 4: Dan McKenzie, Dan McKenzie, have you ever heard of someone dying who had a trust and it not being mentioned anywhere and they have to track it down?
Speaker 6: How do they do it?
Speaker 13: Yeah?
Speaker 21: I mean, I don't know if you've done any conversation with any other family members, try and figure.
Speaker 7: Out where it's at.
Speaker 21: But you really need that trust agreement. I mean to fill out a certification and trust. It's going to ask you when the trust is formed and who the trustee is and all that's going to be in the trust agreement. I think if worse came, the worst and like, there's really nobody who knows or has this trust agreement. You probably have to petition at court to essentially create a trust to you know, beneficiaries, probably the beneficiaries who would have received in an intestacy situation. But I guess we'd have to think about that a little bit. But yeah, hopefully somebody has a trust agreement someone, because you don't want to have to go to court to get that figured out.
Speaker 13: Okay, yeah, we don't know where it is, and there's only all we had was a family trust, and this trust is not mentioned in it. I have a letter that my father in lost in to me. It said that.
Speaker 9: They had.
Speaker 13: The family trust, in which was jointly owned. Assets are included, but they had a shelter trust for each of them which the amount of the deceased trust plus one half of the family trust is placed any amount that exceeds the exemption for inheritance. You know, it's just to avoid inherence tax. And thinking, well, okay.
Speaker 9: Then I have another letter.
Speaker 13: They said that they get away with those trusts, and he had one and it's no longer good. It was transferred into the family trust.
Speaker 9: I'm assuming, but yeah.
Speaker 4: This obviously was overlooked, and it's good that you got to ten ninety nine because you wouldn't have even known existed.
Speaker 1: So, Dan, what would be your first step?
Speaker 7: I think?
Speaker 21: I would you know, sometimes when did your mother in law pass?
Speaker 13: January fourth, two thousand and twenty four.
Speaker 21: Okay, Yeah. There used to be a requirement that you register trusts, and that's kind of gone away now. Trustees just have to reach out and tell the beneficiaries about the trust. But it doesn't sound like the trust he would know who who they were. But you know, sometimes I will. Of course, we've got community list serves and emails and stuff like that. A first thing I might do if you came to me is just put out a message among the Colorado State Planning Council lists are just saying that anybody do any estate plan in their creative trust for this person and just see if that brings something up. A lot of times it's a little bit of investigation just like that. But yeah, if that does not turn up anything, then you might have to ask a court to permit access and prove who the heirs are at law.
Speaker 13: Okay, yeah, okay, Well, the family trust is all taken care of and we've taken all the assets and divided those and put all of the money that was in there in that way, they thing that you guys have got.
Speaker 4: Yeah, well here's the thing. Here's the thing man. No, no, of course, now here's the deal. Dan McKenzie. I would call him, really, you're not going to do this alone. This is something he needs to start thinking about this, and and I think his idea of telling the courts this impossible situation. Courts are courts of equity, not just of law, and there are also courts of substance, sometimes even over form, meaning that if they know something screwed up, the judge has the power to write it, isn't that right Dan, and say look, yeah, we understand, let's do this.
Speaker 9: Yeah, that's that's the names.
Speaker 21: When they're sitting in equity. A lot of times courts will just say here's his getting money and here's his paying the money. But when they're sitting in equity, it's like they have an opportunity to say, well, here's what here's what's fair.
Speaker 10: We're gonna do this right so exactly.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so anyway I would do that. I really would, again, just to touch base with them. But that's what you're gonna need, and I think what you're gonna find is Dan's gonna probably have to petition the court to form a trust just to put this just to take this over. And and it's not gonna you know, it's gonna look and you know by the math alone, if the bank's paying one and a half percent, that's a low end. That would be a fifty thousand dollars CD. Could be more than that could be less, but it's gonna it's not. It's not Chicken feed not paying you seven hundred from a bank CD in a year. So uh A three three coe plans is Dan's number eight C eight three three co plans.
Speaker 1: The website coplans dot co.
Speaker 4: All right three oh three seven one three talk seven one three eight two five five.
Speaker 1: We have more coming right up. And it's important people when things like this come up.
Speaker 4: The more you weight, the harder is to deal with. That goes with anything. By the way, Denver region, you heard Mark talking about their weight loss. They also do incredible and I don't want to undersell this because they do incredible stem cell therapy. I had stem cell therapy done by them and it really got me paying free and it works, Uh Denver Region dot com. Go with a sure thing Denver's best roofer Excel Roofing dot com. You don't pay a cent until you're content. Wait time for an insurance checkup free, no obligation. In comparison, call Compass insurance paying too much your coverage at dozens of insurance companies find out now three oh three seven seven to one.
Speaker 6: Help.
Speaker 4: You'll think you're his only customer when you choose Frank durand the real estate Man dot com to list your home with Remax Alliance three oh three nine two zero sixteen twenty two. Hi Tom Martino, you're troubleshooter three O three seven one three talk seven one three eight two five five. All right, now, Tony, this sounds very interesting this topic. Is it a topic or are you gonna give us some tips?
Speaker 1: Go ahead, it's a topic.
Speaker 17: I had Paul over the last week, and Paul the water man man, and fortunately my basement is unfinished. We go downstairs to look at where the unit will get installed, which it is installed, up and running. And he looked at all my copper pipes and he said, you see this, you see this, you see this? And I said yeah, and he said, this is caused by acidic water from your water supplier.
Speaker 7: And that's right.
Speaker 17: Given time, I'm going to have in whole leaks and my copper all over the place.
Speaker 1: That's right, that's right.
Speaker 16: I did not know.
Speaker 17: That copper was anything but permanent. And you know without worry.
Speaker 1: Well, it depends on your water tony.
Speaker 17: Well, aside from installing pecks, ripping out all the copper in stalling pecks and contacting my water supply supplier in saying, hey man, your waters do acid it.
Speaker 13: What can a guy do?
Speaker 4: Well, you already did it. Did you put in one of water pros dot net? Did you put in one of their systems?
Speaker 7: I did?
Speaker 17: But he said it won't change the acidity.
Speaker 1: Of the water.
Speaker 4: What so wait a minute, it does make the acidity. Well, I know that they attack the pH of your water. So let's get Paul on to explain it. Because really and truly he's right, there's a certain amount of acidity or alkalinity and hardness that can cause pinhole leaks and copper.
Speaker 1: And it happens all the time.
Speaker 4: I mean, that's why we have plumbers. And you're right that copper is permanent. But the joints are not permanent. They're only as permanent as the water.
Speaker 1: Will help him go ahead.
Speaker 17: These leaks that he showed to me, well they haven't happened yet, but one area had like the copper was degrading and it was turning into a liquid. I was shocked when I thought it. But these are all on straight sections of pipe, no joints.
Speaker 4: Well, come on, wait a minute, on a straight section of pipe, if it's failing to that degree, it would already be leaking. What did you see on this straight What did you see on this straight section of pipe?
Speaker 1: What did you actually see?
Speaker 17: I saw this green liquidy thing oozing from mic.
Speaker 1: Well, that's the evaporation of the water.
Speaker 4: That's the evaporation of the water and the minerals in the water.
Speaker 1: So let's get Paul out.
Speaker 6: I want him to explain it.
Speaker 4: Hold on a second, Tony, Yeah, I really want to get him on and explain it, because you know, obviously there we don't have pipes failing all over the place. But I want to know what he was talking about. I want to make sure he's quoted properly. So, uh, sus let's get him on for right after the top of the show. Let's do that right now. I have a let's go to the studio here. I got a question for Joe Piano on the on the annuity fixed index nuity. They want to know what do they mean by indexed fixed indexed annuity?
Speaker 15: Okay, Tom, if follow us in, the annuity will follow an external index like the S and P five hundred, the Dow Jones, the Morgan Stanley index, and whenever those indexes grow, the customer will get a percentage of that.
Speaker 9: Girl.
Speaker 15: But when the when they markets go down, they stay leveled. They don't lose what they put in. They don't loose their games, and they don't loose their bonus. Just the best of both worlds.
Speaker 6: So you get the benefit of all the rising but not the disadvantages of the dips.
Speaker 15: Absolutely, and this is really what people need in today's economy, all right.
Speaker 4: To find out more my money, my way dot com, go with a sure thing Denver's best roofer Excel roofing dot com.
Speaker 1: You don't pay a cent until you're contenth.
Speaker 4: Time for an insurance checkup free, no obligation. In comparison, call compass insurance paying too much your coverage at dozens of insurance companies find out now three oh three seven to seven to one help. You'll think you're his only customer when you choose Frank durand the real estate Man dot com to list your home with Remax Alliance three oh three nine two zero sixteen twenty two.
Speaker 2: That news who you don't have.
Speaker 3: Come running just as fast as we can. Shooter's gonna help coming man.
Speaker 1: This is the Troubleshooter Show.
Speaker 4: No Tom Martine, Hello Tom Martino, here fighting for you, fighting with you. Sometimes if you're an idiot, well, we don't have a lot of idiots that call people call for help or not idiots. The only idiots we have are people that try to rip people off, and we've battled them through the years. You want to know who they are. There's an easy way to find out. You go to Sleeze Brigade dot com. We love Sleeze Brigade dot com. S l e a Ze Sleeze Brigade dot com. Now, we have some issues here we want to talk about. We're gonna get We're gonna get Paul the Waterman on. But we were talking about pinhole leaks and copper pipes, and Tony said that Paul was at his house and saw the softening system and a purification system, and Paul was saying that certain conditions of the water will cause pipes to spring leaks over the years. We want to clarify that because I've never heard of pipes just springing leak in the middle of a pipe run.
Speaker 1: I've heard of the.
Speaker 4: Joints giving out or the joints springing leaks. So we want to get clarification on that. But Joe called in with a comment while we're waiting for Paul. Joe, what is your comment on that?
Speaker 22: Yeah, Tom, My name is Joe, and I have high planes water solutions down here in the car out of Springs.
Speaker 7: Area in East Yeah. I do a ton of work in black Forest and.
Speaker 4: Mostly And what do you mean? So, what do you mean a ton of work? What do you do in Black Forest?
Speaker 6: What do you do?
Speaker 1: Do you install systems?
Speaker 22: I install systems, Yes, And I just came off of the service call where the water is a city and we test the way whenever we go to a job, we test for hardness, iron sulfur.
Speaker 9: Yeh.
Speaker 7: And anytime anytime your pH.
Speaker 22: Level is below seven and your waters is city, you've got to raise that pH in the water because it causes pinhole lakes and copper pipe people.
Speaker 4: Well, okay, now hold on, let me ask you something, Joe. Since you're somewhat of an expert, you have to raise the pH. But when those holes develop, are they usually at the joints?
Speaker 1: Or can they do midstream?
Speaker 7: They can be in both. I've had I've had one system in a new home that the home was five years old.
Speaker 22: It was totally plumbed in pecks, but there were the brass elbows and ts. And this was in a doctor's home down here in Black Forest, and he had three leaks and they were all in the brass fittings and did thousands of dollars worth of damage each time.
Speaker 7: And he sent a sample into the state test it and it came back as a city.
Speaker 4: So he called, okay, so tell me this. Then, this is what I want to know. What can you do then to prevent it? You were about to say something to raise How do you do the pH?
Speaker 7: You run it through calcite.
Speaker 22: So you put in a tank that looks just like a water softening tank, but it's a ten to fifty four tank is what we always put in. Tenage's diameter fifty four tall, and it doesn't backwash or anything.
Speaker 9: We just we just.
Speaker 7: Upflow the water through that calcite and corro sex, which is another neutralizer mineral. And when the water comes through the system and out, it's always at seven or above. And you have no issues with leaks and copper pipe, then.
Speaker 8: None, Tony, Tony, I want to bring up Tony with you, Joe, I verify, so Tony, Tony, Yeah.
Speaker 1: Did you just hear about one of those solutions?
Speaker 13: Yeah? I uh I did. Yes.
Speaker 4: What is the system called, Joe? Pardon Joe, what is the system called?
Speaker 7: It's just a neutralizer tank. It's not it's not a brand name on.
Speaker 9: It at all.
Speaker 7: I'm a dealer with Aqua Systems. I know Paul. Paul knows me. Paul has dealt.
Speaker 22: With the fella that I bought my company from. And my company's thirty one years old now, and so Paul I've never met Paul face to face. We actually just talked on the phone a couple weeks ago. But anyway, I've got hundreds of customers, but just calcite tanks in that we upflow the water.
Speaker 6: Now, how did you find out? And are you saying calcite like in calcium calcium.
Speaker 7: It's it's a ground up limestone, is what it is.
Speaker 1: Hey, Joe, how'd you find out about this? How did you find out about this? Joe?
Speaker 7: To begin with this calcite, everybody that I've ever talked to that ten Water treatment knows that.
Speaker 22: And Shane, the fellow that I bought the business from, Shane had been putting calcite in for years.
Speaker 7: I've got I've got is there?
Speaker 4: Do you have to change? Do you have to change anything out? Or is it permanent?
Speaker 7: After about seven years, when we have that call site in that tank, you can see the cal site in there, and over a period of time, which is a year, anywhere from a year to three years, that calsite will drop down about ten inches. And so you can see that in that tank.
Speaker 22: We put a full mark and an ad mark. When it gets to the ad mark, the customer calls us. That's where I just came from. Customer call means that Joe, I need or calcite. I went over there, pop top off, dumped the little calcide in, rinsed it real good, and put it back in service.
Speaker 6: And this will and this will prevent Joe you're telling me this will prevent the pinhole leaks. It'll what does it do to the to the p so does it neutralize the water or does it make it one way or another?
Speaker 22: It neutralizes it, And actually we'll bring it up into the alkalin side a little bit. It'll be from seven some of it some water.
Speaker 7: When I first put in a fresh system and we turn on the water and retest it, that pH level could even be up around eight. But it's making it more towards the smart water. That's what your smart water is, is iph.
Speaker 4: Well, you alkaline is not bad for you.
Speaker 7: No, not at all. It's good for you.
Speaker 4: Can't yeah, alk line water, right, Alkaline water is good for you.
Speaker 1: So, Tony, I mean, Joe, thank you, Tony.
Speaker 4: Look into the calcite and I'm going to ask Paul the water man. If we get him on I hope he'll call. Well, we'll talk to him about how to prevent and if he does calcite, I've never heard him really talk about it, but it sounds pretty cool if you have that kind of water.
Speaker 1: So thank you. Three h three seven.
Speaker 17: Yeah, So I just had a tank put in by Paul.
Speaker 7: Is he saying this is a separate tank or you just add the cow site to the tank that was installed.
Speaker 1: No, it's a separate system.
Speaker 4: Great, okay, yeah, but it sounds it actually sounds cost effective. You only have to deal with it every seven years or occasionally add calcite to it, is what he's saying.
Speaker 13: Yeah, so I will you know when you talk to Paul if he offers these systems.
Speaker 4: Now, I'm going to That's what I'm gonna ask him, because I mean, this is pretty logical. If you're if you're in water treatment, you're gonna want to offer something or maybe he does offer something different. That's what we're gonna get him on about as soon as he's available. Three oh three seven one three eight two five five. We have more coming up on the Troubleshooter Show. Listen eight eight eight Heating dot Com. Remember high efficiency units at discount prices. The best price for high efficiency heating and air hybrid systems, and if you're doing a solar system, you can add it to the price and get tax deductions on that. Three oh three seven seven zero two seven seven six seven seven zero two seven seven six Go with a sure thing Denver's Best Roofer Excel roofing dot com.
Speaker 1: You don't pay a cent until you're content.
Speaker 4: Time for an insurance check up free, no obligation in comparison, and call Compass Insurance paying too much your coverage at dozens of insurance companies find out now three oh three seven seven to one Help. You'll think you're his only customer when you choose Frank durand the real estate Man dot com to list your home with Remax Alliance three oh three nine two zero sixteen twenty two.
Speaker 1: Hi Tom Martina here, Welcome to the show.
Speaker 4: Three O three seven to one three talk seven one three eight two five five. So let's go to the phones and solve problems, answer questions, take complaints as we like doing every day. Randy has a problem with a car dealership at twenty twenty two Hunday. What's happening, Randy?
Speaker 9: Hey, how's it going? Tom?
Speaker 1: What's happening?
Speaker 17: Yes?
Speaker 1: I can, okay, I can hear you find Randy.
Speaker 9: My coworker has a twenty twenty two hondy twoson and it has thirteen thousand min miles. The other day she was driving to work and two of her injectors failed. Had it towed the pine Unday, and they said that unfortunately, nationwide, the injectors are at least six months out and they won't give her a loaner car. I'm not sure what to do.
Speaker 23: Go ahead there, Grandy, the car is her car still under factory warranty?
Speaker 4: Yes, okay, listen, So how many injectors are bad?
Speaker 11: You said two injectors went out and.
Speaker 6: How many miles?
Speaker 9: Thirteen thousand?
Speaker 1: Oh that's crazy. They won't give her a loaner sues.
Speaker 6: Have you guys ever had trouble with injectors.
Speaker 24: I'm not, but it's just at six months out, it's not drivable.
Speaker 1: It sounds like, and she doesn't get a loaner. Something doesn't make sense.
Speaker 23: So, Randy, I know that we've had calls like this before about similar issues where the dealer can't get parts.
Speaker 1: So I'm sure they're not making that up.
Speaker 23: But if your friend calls Hyundai, if your friend actually calls the manufacturer, they they may be.
Speaker 11: Able to provide her with a loaner.
Speaker 23: I've personally worked the case like this with a different manufacturers, General Motors, that provided a loaner to her even though the dealer didn't have any available.
Speaker 4: Okay, so they say replacement parts are two months out.
Speaker 1: Six six months?
Speaker 11: He said six two.
Speaker 1: Six months, So so wait three to six months. Call Kevin up. I bet Kevin can get in Jeffers after market.
Speaker 9: Yeah, but if I can do anything for the warranty.
Speaker 6: No, how do you know, Mark, Well, because I mean the warranty, sure as hell's not going to cover after market parts.
Speaker 1: If anything, it might avoid the rest of you. No, what do you mean?
Speaker 4: No, what he means is Mark, What he means is will it will avoid his factory warranty, the balance of it if he puts other injectors in.
Speaker 1: Let's let's ask Kevin and not only that if yeah, let's get Kevin on.
Speaker 9: If it happens again, you know, and it doesn't avoid the warranty, but avoids the warranty just for the injectors. But it happens again, how.
Speaker 1: Many how many miles are on it? Yeah, that sucks.
Speaker 23: Well, Kevin's warranty will be a year on his aftermarket injectors if he can get them.
Speaker 6: Okay, Well, let's try to find out what Kevin would.
Speaker 9: Say, saying, if they're not in, it's gonna avoid her warranty.
Speaker 4: Well, how about you do it and not tell him. How how would they know if you switched out your and I'm serious, if you switched it out, how will they know?
Speaker 9: Oh if they if it happens again, they take it back to the dealership, they pull out an injector and it doesn't say Hunday on it.
Speaker 1: Yeah they when would they do? They know that? Seriously? But would they really?
Speaker 6: I mean he's saying, he's saying, if the injectors failed and he was still under warranty, they would know they're not factory injectors.
Speaker 4: No, I'm not talking about those injectors. I'm talking about any warranty issue on that car. If it's the other injector that fails, the non the Hyundai one, they would pull it out and it would say Hyundai. And if the if a timing goes out or something else, how would they know he did anything by replacing injectors? How would anyone ever know unless that injector went out. And if that injector went out.
Speaker 6: Fine, you don't want them to fix it because you've put it in there to begin with. I don't even understand the Probably how would anyone know that?
Speaker 1: Honestly?
Speaker 6: It would probably just void the coverage on the injectors. Not probably nothing else unless if it was some you know, improper part.
Speaker 4: Now, if let's say the engine blue and they say, wait a minute, here, you had two non factory injectors in this engine. But if that's not the reason the engine blue, I think they'd have a hell of a time trying to pick a reason.
Speaker 6: Yeah, And I don't think they would try to pick a reason because I don't think that would create any issue.
Speaker 11: Okay, gentlemen.
Speaker 23: I think one of Randy's concerns is that if if he engages Kevin's Services to replace the two broken injectors, that's not covered by warranties.
Speaker 1: So what I mean, Yeah.
Speaker 11: So if she wants to use she may have to pay for this repair.
Speaker 6: Yeah yeah, yeah.
Speaker 4: So it's better to pay for that repair and get it done than and it is to have a loaner car you're paying for.
Speaker 11: Well, she's not able to get a loan car at this point.
Speaker 4: No, No, I'm talking about one she pays for. It's not that she can't get a loaner car.
Speaker 6: She can go to Enterprise Leasing and get a replacement car tomorrow.
Speaker 11: A rental car. Randy wants a free loaner.
Speaker 6: Well, Okay, here's what I'm saying. You're not going to get a free loaner.
Speaker 1: So in the.
Speaker 6: Absence of it, no one's going to give you a six month loaner, except in very rare conditions.
Speaker 1: But here's what I'm thinking.
Speaker 4: If you can't get a loaner and you're going to pay for a rental, it's cheaper to pay for the repair.
Speaker 11: Agreed, Absolutely, and I.
Speaker 9: Agree with all of that.
Speaker 4: How much Let's ask, well, let's get Kevin on. I want to ask Kevin what it will cost to fix that. That's what I want to do. Jeff's got a comment on this, Jeff, go ahead. What do you have to say?
Speaker 18: Tom?
Speaker 7: I think it's a brand new car. That's definitely your Lemon law issue.
Speaker 6: There, we had the same, No, it isn't it's a twenty twenty two.
Speaker 7: I missed that cart.
Speaker 1: No, but you're right, that would be a Lemon law.
Speaker 4: You're right if she lost use of that car for more than thirty days, it would.
Speaker 9: Be thirty days.
Speaker 7: Absolutely.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but this is a twenty two, so it doesn't apply. It's only in the first year of ownership. So but thanks for trying.
Speaker 1: Well, what we'll do.
Speaker 4: Let's talk to Kevin get Kevin Calkin on Sheridan autotech dot com and we'll see what he has to say about an aftermarket injector, about what they will cost for two.
Speaker 6: Of them, and then you know about how much I think you and this spoke. It's two years twenty four thousand. Now, remember it changed?
Speaker 1: Oh is it marked? Okay? Hell, he's still out of warranty. Yes, even oh, because it's three years. Yeah, it's three years. It's not one or the other. It's got to meet both. Whatever is first?
Speaker 7: Bang it.
Speaker 19: Mark?
Speaker 6: You're talking about the new lemon law. Yeah, it's probably I bet a year and a half old now, but it's to tell me about the limit. Well, it's basically the same thing, but it's two years twenty four thousand instead of one year to thousand.
Speaker 1: The risk of it, I believe, is all the exact same.
Speaker 6: You know, you can't have use of the vehicle for thirty I don't even think it's consecutive.
Speaker 1: I think it's thirty. Uh what's the word?
Speaker 6: Thirty days with out of service don't have to be con used. It's just no cumulative cumulative, it's cumulative.
Speaker 4: Yes, yeah, okay, So we have more coming up on the Troubleshooter Show. Frank Duran, the real estate Man dot com. He'll do a market evaluation of your home to see what it will sell for. You know, prices are all all over the place, but Frank has a handle on the neighborhoods, the houses, the comps, the conditions. Call him for a free analysis with no obligation. He's a great person with a lot of knowledge, and I've represented him for nearly probably thirty years now. Frank Durand the real Estateman dot com three oh three nine two zero sixteen twenty two. Go with a sure thing Denver's best roofer Excel Roofing dot com.
Speaker 1: You don't pay a cent until you're content.
Speaker 4: Time for an insurance check up, free, no obligation comparison call Compass Insurance paying too much your coverage at dozens of insurance companies find out now three oh three seven to seven to one help. You'll think you're his only customer when you choose Frank Durand the real Estateman dot com to list your home with Remax Alliance three oh three nine two zero sixteen twenty two. Tom Martino Here three oh three seven to one three talks seven one three, two five five. So we're waiting on Kevin Calkin to talk about that car unto warranty. But nationwide this is a problem. There's a back order on parts. Now, what really puzzles me is why this is happening. I suspect it has to do with COVID. I don't mean that COVID is responsible now directly, but here's what they found out that when COVID happened and some of the factories shut down or slowed down, people were willing to wait. And these companies realized that by not inventorying all of these parts, they're making more off the bottom line because that's money tied up for a certain length of time. So instead of inventorying a lot of spare parts, they're doing more production runs on limited basis, and so you just put your order in and you wait for the next production run.
Speaker 6: By the way, that's happening with a lot of things. Hey, for example, I need it in Hondi. By the way, they will only give you ten days of coverage as part of their warranty on the rental. Yeah, now that used to be the world. I mean that's all you needed, right.
Speaker 4: So here's the deal when it comes to like even batteries and stuff. I needed a battery for a vehicle, and this battery I had to wait for a production run, and they said the production run will be in three months, and then we put you on a list and we ship from there. So I was like number two hundred after sixty days, and they would do a production run of a few thousands. That'd be okay, but they literally did production runs. Your name would be in a hopper and you'd be put on a list. Of course, so your dealer had to call in or a distributor had to call it into the factory.
Speaker 6: The factory puts out a list. So that's how things have become now.
Speaker 4: Now it's saving a ton of money on the manufacturer side because they don't have stuff sitting there, and when something sits there, whether it's inventory or money or whatever, it's costing you because it's not working for you. Randy, we're told Kevin Colkin is tied up right now. Do we know when he's gonna be free.
Speaker 6: Sus I don't, But I can take Randy's number and try to reconnect here in a little bit.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, we're gonna have to figure out what old costs for these injectors and to have replaced and what he can do. We have a Jordan Canno with us in the studio taking over for his dad, talking about our movie event coming up, and Jordan, they want to know. I'm getting a few very basic questions. Okay, okay, and that is and that is the length of the movie.
Speaker 1: Very good question.
Speaker 25: So basically the movie itself right, get everybody out within an hour basically nowur twenty a month with questions at the end. But it's a pretty quick, concise movie of just talking about the baby boomer dilemma, social security issues, what people should be looking forward to in retirement, and what they should expect that there might be social security cuts down the road, because we all know the system's a little hurt right now, it's being able to fund it.
Speaker 4: So obviously, who put this movie together. I mean, this is being put together by people who are who are marketing annuities because they believe it's the best security.
Speaker 1: Going into uncertain times. Yeah, definitely.
Speaker 25: They basically have experts throughout the past, sold Security board members, some people from treasurers from the US Treasury, and they have it's kind of like a docu series, if you will, a documentary that has all these experts talking about the issues that have come up.
Speaker 1: They put it together with.
Speaker 25: A director, and the point that you're making is exactly that that there's another solution, using some indexed annuities, using some other waste and green another income stream. Pensions, not just social security, have another source of income that you can count on every single month. And that's what that movie Light Lightly kind of shows at the end of other solutions that you can choose, not just so security.
Speaker 17: Only.
Speaker 4: Right, and it highlights people who have done the wrong thing and ended up losing everything. And some of these companies were, you know, telling people to take the wrong products and employment plans that have failed. They even had some employee sponsored plans where people ended up with nothing.
Speaker 1: Very true.
Speaker 4: Now, now when we say it's virtually no risk, I can say virtually no risk because I believe literally it's not only backed by the insurance companies that are one hundred years or older, but they also have state insurance funds that back it up as well.
Speaker 1: So when we say no risk, it's just.
Speaker 4: Like a corporate bond when they say it's guaranteed. So the corporate bond is as good as the corporation. And these are companies Jordan that you represent. How old are they? How old are they?
Speaker 25: You hit it right on the head. We have companies that are one hundred, one hundred and fifty years old. Some of those insurance companies even go pass that to two hundred years old. And so they've stood through the Great Depression, they stood through a lot of the epidemics, the financial ruts that we've seen in this country. And that's their point is they're using the risk factor and taking that away from clients and being able to give them basically a backing not only through the company, but you said it right there by the states as well. What other product out there, stocks, bonds, mutual funds, you know, would the state put their name behind saying that, hey, you know what if the company went belly up or if this happens, we're going to back you.
Speaker 1: It's basically like FDIC. It is like the FDIC.
Speaker 25: Yeah, the money's there, you know, so because of the state funds. So to your point, it is very it's one of the safest bets that people can put in. They can get the growth in the market's up and then protect it from when the market comes down.
Speaker 4: But let's talk about that because somebody want Somebody asked, they say, Tom, you mentioned upside risk. In other words, if the market's going crazy and somebody's in an annuity, they're limited. But you just said, and I think it's rightly so that they do get upside it's not for they don't have a fixed s rate. The only fixed strate is the one never to go below.
Speaker 1: Isn't that right? Two fixed rates?
Speaker 25: Yeah, So the best way to look at it is there's a left side and the right side. The left side goes up when the market's up and you get those gains, but when the market comes down or crashes for that year, the lowest you can ever get is zero percent. So you can't go negative, you can't go backwards, you don't lose your principle rights.
Speaker 4: That's on the left side. That's on the lea what's on there. So they're really double indexed. So one is market goes up, it keeps ratcheting up. It can never go below its base.
Speaker 25: Right, and you're able to lock those earnings in and increase that base every year. So as you go up, it's racked up like a stair, and what's the other.
Speaker 6: Okay, what's the other so called indexed, what's the right side?
Speaker 25: So the right side or account if you will, is what they give a guaranteed interest rate. It's called an income writer, if you will, but it's a guaranteed interest rate where just like we're running some examples here, they start around five percent and every five years it ratchets up and so it goes from five five and a half six And so let's just say at the end of ten years, whichever side's the biggest of the two, either account A the market side or account be the guaranteed indexing, they will give you the bigger of the two.
Speaker 4: So in other words, you are going you're following two two market indicators. You're following the volatility side that can go really up high and stay there, and you're or the just basic like a t bill. You're going to get a solid amount of money. And then at the end, when you're ready to an it, ties do you choose. You don't literally choose which side. It's automatically the one with the most money.
Speaker 25: In the one that wins the race, the hair, the or the turtle. As if you look at it, that way or the tortoise.
Speaker 4: So which and then when let's say the saw wins, the race has grown to two hundred and fifty thousand or three hundred or four hundred, whatever the number is, and you unfortunately something befalls you and you die before you get all of that back.
Speaker 1: What happens to the rest.
Speaker 25: The rest of the money goes to your beneficiaries, so you can have whether it's your spouse, children, you know, if you have it to a trust, you have options unlike a regular tradition.
Speaker 6: But you leave nothing on the table. Nothing, You leave nothing on the table, correct you got it.
Speaker 25: Most pensions nowadays from employers, you're stuck with just giving it to your spouse and that's it.
Speaker 1: You really can't. There's not a lot of them that.
Speaker 25: Allow you to give it to your children, your heirs thereafter. And that's money left on the table. As you're saying. With these plans, you have that money go into your family, and it's going to everybody, not just one individual with a spouse, or if they don't have a spouse, they can leave to children or family members.
Speaker 4: Now listen, by the way, I also want to talk about something else, but that this event's coming up in a few nights at the twenty fifth And what time does it start Jordan.
Speaker 25: That'll be six thirty pm at the Highlands. Rants AMC twenty four will be there with signs.
Speaker 4: Now to register to register three all three Yeah, if nothing else, go for the pop run night. Find out how to protect money anyway three all three seven seven nine sixty six hundred seven seven nine sixty six hundred My moneymway dot com.
Speaker 1: Speaking of which I.
Speaker 4: Did have a guy who contacted me last time and said that one big one we we all you know. I think it was in Highlands wherever it was, he said, Tom, I swear to you. I went just to say hi to you, to meet you and to have popcorn. And I ended up actually buying one an annuity because of the movie, which is kind of fun.
Speaker 1: Anyway.
Speaker 4: Three O three seven seven nine sixty six hundred. Okay, we have more coming up on the Troubleshooter show, stick around, Go with a sure Thing Denver's Best Roofer Excel roofing dot com. You don't pay a cent until you're content. Time for an insurance check up free, no obligation. In comparison, call Compass Insurance paying too much your coverage at dozens of insurance companies. Find out now three oh three seven to seven to one help. You'll think you're his only customer when you choose Frank durand thereal estate man dot com to list your home with Remax Alliance three oh three nine two zero sixteen twenty two. Hey Tom Martino here three oh three seven one three Talk seven one three eight two five five. So we're talking about some very interesting issues. Give us a call if you have a problem, question and complain at three oh three seven one three talks seven one three eight two five five.
Speaker 1: We're promoting this movie event for the twenty.
Speaker 6: Fifth if you want to sign up for it.
Speaker 4: It talks about retirement and all that. And whenever you talk about investments are very.
Speaker 6: Kind, any kind. It doesn't matter what you talk about. And I think you'll know this, Jordan.
Speaker 4: There are people that will swear by things since people that swear against them. Then there are people that don't have an opinion. And I've always said this, there is no one investment that is the best for everyone.
Speaker 1: Or the worst for everyone.
Speaker 4: There's in fact, there is nothing that is bad or good. It's how you use it that counts.
Speaker 6: And I think one of the biggest mistakes people make sometimes is they do.
Speaker 1: One thing and one thing only.
Speaker 4: Or they they do they or they try to chase money, is what I mean. And this is what Warren Buffett used to say that he makes his money most by people chasing money because of everyone everyone. Most people start buying a stock when it's on his way up and they got in late, or they sell when it's crashing and they lock in their losses or their profits. So the theory behind an annuity is not to play the game. Just let us sit there and then take advantage of the upside and then take advantage of the fixed rate and do the comparing side by side when it's time to withdraw.
Speaker 6: You know he did.
Speaker 1: I mean, that's really he did. An example for me. Checked this out.
Speaker 6: Tom So someone fifty years old, so you know, basically my age one hundred and fifty thousand into an annuity.
Speaker 1: Then when you.
Speaker 6: Decide to retire, so we just took sixty seven or whatever the top social security is, you would have over three thousand dollars a month guaranteed to the day you died.
Speaker 25: Yep, and that goes right with an addition to your Yeah, it goes right with your opinion. If you have other money that's in the market, if you have four to one ks and that's the idea, Well it's so security, so security on top of that, you're you're you're hitting it, Tom, I mean, the idea is not all eggs in one basket. If you can have multiple streams of income, that is a good retirement. You can't just rely on one basket, one social security check.
Speaker 1: This is the way to do.
Speaker 6: It to people buy multiple ones and then like you know, they get to a certain age, they're like, okay, I could use that cash flow right now and still let the other one simmer.
Speaker 1: Exactly. We call that laddering them.
Speaker 25: So if you can have, you know, some money, you build it up and maybe even once it grows to a certain point, break it up into two.
Speaker 1: And that's the idea is let.
Speaker 4: One and sometimes sometimes you do laddering mark when you want some liquidity of freedom and so you're able to take ten percent a year and you can choose which.
Speaker 1: One and then it's it's it's a it's a it's a really cool approach.
Speaker 4: Anyway, we have more coming up on the Troubleshooter Show Problems, Questions and complaints three oh three Martino three O three six two seven eight four sixty six or three oh three seven one three talk seven one three eight two five five.
Speaker 1: Whatever you need, we're going to try to help you with, So call us.
Speaker 4: Go with a sure thing Denver's Best roofer Excel Roofing dot com. You don't pay a cent until you're content. Time for an insurance check up free, no obligation. In comparison, call Compass Insurance paying too much your coverage at dozens of insurance companies find out now three oh three seven seven to one help. You'll think you're his only customer when you choose Frank durand the real estate Man dot com to list your home with Remax Alliance three oh three nine two zero sixteen twenty.
Speaker 1: Two ript.
Speaker 3: News need so you don't have, as you can Shooter's gonna help coming man.
Speaker 1: This is the Troubleshooter Show.
Speaker 14: No Tom Martinez, Welcome my friends to the only show.
Speaker 6: If it's kay, We're here to solve problems, answer questions, take complaint.
Speaker 1: Where's Tommy? What happened to him? He might have stepped away for a second Mark, he might have. I don't see Dmitri there either, but hey, here's the deal. We're here to help you.
Speaker 6: Three oh three the executive seven one three eight two five five. I hope they're not in the executive together doc. We'll never know, they'll never know. Hey, listen, this thing coming up on the twenty fifth.
Speaker 7: I really do.
Speaker 1: A that's Drew, I really do.
Speaker 6: Want you to sign up. In fact, Suzanne and I will be out there alright six point thirty. It's gonna be at the AMC twenty four.
Speaker 1: That's correct.
Speaker 6: We look forward to meeting you. And it's a free free popcorn. Now are you guys gonna buy? I think at a mc as beer and liquor too?
Speaker 1: Whoo? Who is that included?
Speaker 7: Jordan?
Speaker 1: What are we talking here that we're getting ahead of it? Open bar? Mark, it's an open bar. Yeah, let's pull that back a little bit, pull the reins.
Speaker 6: But don't they have time where they bring whatever you order, like chicken to your seat?
Speaker 1: There a pool meal right now? I don't know.
Speaker 4: You know a lot of theaters have that you order and they bring it to your seat.
Speaker 1: Do you remember nowadays?
Speaker 6: You remember when you told everybody on air that Al Ramis was gonna buy my first ten callers free tires, and it was for April fools and it and then but I told the callers had I told the callers.
Speaker 1: Retning his life for not giving him the tires. My goodness. Now, but here's how I went down, Mark, Here's how it went down.
Speaker 4: I said. Before I even started, I said, listen, this is a April Fool's prank on him, on al Romus pro autocare. I said, so when you call him, though, just tell them you expect free tires. That Tom Martinez advertising free tires. Now, so the people that listen to my show, they were calling as a joke. But then other people got w into this and thought it was real and got pissed at him.
Speaker 6: Because they didn't get their free tires. And I bring that up and it back fired. I bring that up because I want everybody to know. There is not an open bar at the AMC twenty four, not this event.
Speaker 25: No no, no, but we got popcorn, drinks, my money, myway dot com free event coming up.
Speaker 1: Get snighted up though. It's gonna be fun.
Speaker 6: In fact, last time you had it there, I think, wasn't it you were at that one time it was standing room only. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's like one hundred and eight. So anyway, it's a good movie.
Speaker 19: I'm gonna go see it again.
Speaker 1: You're gonna go bo.
Speaker 19: There's a little bit of a doctor.
Speaker 1: You're go interview already. Oh, you haven't a new.
Speaker 20: I haven't that the con that Jordan talks about, which was it's been really great for me.
Speaker 6: Doc didn't even realize he had the I was gonna say death benefit, but not the long term care.
Speaker 1: Cost of living? Yeah, cost of living.
Speaker 20: I was saying, my malpractice policy. They you know, they have a talent on it, which if you've been with them for ten years, once you retire, you know your your If there any malpractice claims that happened while he was still working, they cover it. But also, without my knowing it, they had given me a two hundred thousand dollars long term care policy that I never knew I had until I retired.
Speaker 6: You know what's crazy, Tom, What do you think old folks home costs?
Speaker 1: Now?
Speaker 6: I mean honestly, it's it's it's like ten grand a month for some decent Isn't that incredible?
Speaker 1: Wow?
Speaker 4: Now, if somebody wants to know let me find this. Oh, I got to go back to this other call. Somebody called Bow went out about these sewer gases. Bow, You're there right, Yes, and there were terrible sewer gases coming from an apartment. They come from, how they come from, all over and I'm going to go over the major causes. But this one person says that in that apartment, in their mechanical room, if they have a water heater and a floor drain, something as simple as that floor drain evaporating and not having anything in it in the p trap could cause sewer gases to come back up into the apartment.
Speaker 1: And that's absolutely true.
Speaker 6: Did they have a mechanical room in there that could possibly be.
Speaker 18: Yeah, that's very astute. Whoever brought that up. I actually she had a floor drain. We did put water in it to make sure it's fall but she uses the floor drain, so the trap was not dry and there is no water heater. It's a big boiler in the basement of the apartment building that applies the domestic water to her apartment. I believe it's a cracked vent sewer vent line. It's supposed to terminate up on the roof of the building, but it's actually terminating on the fourth or fifth floor, and then when the HVAC system comes on, it's drawing the sewer gases from the broken vent pipe into her apartment.
Speaker 19: Yeah, hopefully, but.
Speaker 1: Just for other people listening.
Speaker 4: For people listening, you have roof fence on houses and condos and all kinds. Roof vents are for things to be able to drain. You can't drain something that's a closed system. It has to have air to drain. And roof fence are where the water goes down the gases go up, and what happens is when they're blocked, they can cause an odor. Another thing of floor drains, pea traps are you know, I often wonder why is there a circle of an s in my pipe, you know? And why does it look like it goes down and then back up again and back down again. And it's because it's called the pea trap. And really what that's meant to be is when you're completely drained, there's always some water in that pea.
Speaker 1: Trap, which causes sewer gases from coming back.
Speaker 4: But if you're in a house for a long time, and let's say you have a downstairs bathroom and it's never used at all, like we have that we never use, and I there was a terrible odor coming from it. Again, bo, what you said, especially when the heater air was on and I went back to that bedroom and thought what.
Speaker 6: Died in here?
Speaker 1: And it was nothing. I simply had to fill up.
Speaker 4: The shower drain with water and the gas has stopped immediately. So if you live in a big house and you're alone, or you live with a couple people, or you're an empty nes sure you know these floor drains literally have to be attended to. Now that might be in a mechanical room where your.
Speaker 1: Water heater is.
Speaker 4: You have to basically make sure that the floor drains are always filled with water. Now, I don't know, and I should ask a plumber this. Somebody told me a hack that they use to keep their pea traps full, and I'm not sure it's a good one, but this is what they do. They put mineral oil in it, and the mineral oil.
Speaker 1: Kind of.
Speaker 4: Keeps from evaporating. What are you seeing, Demetri? You know about that?
Speaker 11: Oh yeah, I've seen I've seen that. I've seen glycerin in there.
Speaker 6: Thish, Wait a minute, So mineral oil doesn't do any harm.
Speaker 23: No, it's just an inert to oil and it doesn't evaporate nearly as quickly as water.
Speaker 4: So if you turn the water on to drain like, it's not going to clog it up, but it'll just drawn through.
Speaker 11: It will just drain out like any other liquid.
Speaker 1: And it's not like, hey, bo, have you ever heard of that?
Speaker 19: I never have heard of someone putting oil in.
Speaker 18: Best thing to do is just put a little cup of water in your drains, especially basement shower drean.
Speaker 4: But we're talking about if you want it to last long, if you want it to last longer. I've heard people just use mineral oil, yeah, and they say it works really well.
Speaker 1: Have about some bleach?
Speaker 19: I think bleach would be corrosive?
Speaker 4: What thrill three seven one three talk seven one three eight two five five. So listen, somebody wants to know about somebody wants to know about this thing.
Speaker 1: Jordan, Oh, I know what it is.
Speaker 4: Hold on are they still doing become the banker with overfunding life insurance? And this is what this guy wants to know. He says he doesn't have a lot of money right now to put away monthly, but is it best to get the policy going and then overfund it when you get extra money, or wait until you have extra money to take it out.
Speaker 25: To begin with, great question. So first off, yes, we do to become the banker. Still absolutely those are two products, just the index nuity and to become the banker. But to the answer there, really it depends. I mean, for the client, it is always good to start putting that money at a younger point, so wherever his age is starting to build that cash value, now building it up.
Speaker 1: We have flexible okay, in these plans.
Speaker 4: But let me ask you this Sjordan, this is what I think he means. This is what I think he means. Let's say he takes out a life insurance policy that he intends to overfund, okay, on purpose. Then that grows tax free and you can take it out tax free later in life. Right, But let's talk about this on a regular insurance. If I came to you to do.
Speaker 6: It, does it start building cash value from the beginning or do I have to overfund it for that cash value?
Speaker 25: With our policies, it's from the beginning, so meaning that the cash value builds, especially ours, every month that they.
Speaker 1: Put a contribution to it.
Speaker 25: A good portion of that's going to their cash value regular whole life.
Speaker 4: So how little can they start with? How little can they start with?
Speaker 25: Yeah, I'd say for anybody over the age of twenty one, two hundred and fifty dollars a month, two hundred dollars a month kind of is that bare minimum mark just to have some growth, you know, if you're if obviously the more you put in, the better it looks. But anybody under that age, if they're doing it for children or that, they can get good with less money.
Speaker 1: But tell them what your dad did for you, Yeah, you know.
Speaker 25: And this is where my whole experience. I came in at sixteen years old looking to purchase my vehicle. My father funded it over the years, and it was right around that two hundred mark for mine at the time because he started when I was born, and I was able to finance my vehicle it's age sixteen, paid cash for it. But the rule was I had to call the first bank or whichever bank we had at that time and ask him, had I got a loan through them, what was that payment? What was that interest rate? And I'm sure you can guess he made me pay that same payment back to myself. So you could start at any point. Earlier the better. But these policies have flexibility to your question, Tom that you can dump money in later on if they don't have it upfront, we can build that into it upfront.
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 4: So no matter what, when you start, you'll start building cash value and it can grow depending on how much you put into it extra and that money will always come back to you and there's only a small part of the money going toward the cost of insurance. The cost of insurance stays level, Is that true or not?
Speaker 1: That is true. Yes, with whole life it stays level.
Speaker 25: Universal life term those ones out there which we don't use, those are the ones that the cost increases as you get older.
Speaker 4: Okay, we have more coming up on the Troubleshooter Show. Three oh three seven one, three eight, two five five Go with a sure Thing Denver's Best Roofer Excel roofing dot com. You don't pay a cent until you're content. Time for an insurance checkup free, no obligation. In comparison, call compass insurance paying too much your coverage at dozens of insurance companies find out now three oh three, seven to seven to one help. You'll think you're his own only customer when you choose Frank durand the real estate man dot com to list your home with Remax Alliance three oh three nine two zero sixteen twenty two. Hi Tom Martinez here, three oh three seven one three talks seven one three eight two five five.
Speaker 1: I forgot to turn my mic on. Sorry about that.
Speaker 6: No jokes.
Speaker 4: You know what I like is they can't make any Joe Biden jokes anymore because he's not around.
Speaker 1: So who you gonna make fun of? Huh?
Speaker 20: Hey, Tom, I have a question for you.
Speaker 1: Go ahead.
Speaker 20: What's your opinion on this thing about giving drivers licenses to illegal immigrants?
Speaker 1: Now, what do you think? I think?
Speaker 20: Well, I thought we have what do you be a good topic for discussion?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 6: Well, first of all, who is even proposing this?
Speaker 1: Oh?
Speaker 20: I forget, it's the Democratic lawmakers in the in the in the legislature.
Speaker 1: You know. Here's the thing. Are you talking about the Colorado legislature?
Speaker 9: Right?
Speaker 6: Yes, here's what I want to know.
Speaker 4: Does Colorado do the legislators in Colorado look around and say, what's the most unpopular thing in the world? Right now, what's the stupidest thing in the world right now?
Speaker 1: What can ruin our state faster?
Speaker 6: And how can we look like complete frickin idiots?
Speaker 1: I know what, Let's do this.
Speaker 6: It's like, I don't know who elected these morons because when I look around this state, I don't see that many morons. I don't see that many idiots.
Speaker 4: But our legislature we are more liberal than California ever wanted to be. And I swear to God, It's like, it's what's going on on? When are we going to actually have the pendulum swing in this state? You know, by ally all, by all indications, we are ruining this state. We are ruining Denver, we are ruining everything we came here to live for.
Speaker 1: So what do I think about it?
Speaker 6: I think it's stupid.
Speaker 1: If somebody is here illegally, they're here illegally.
Speaker 4: If they're looking for a better life, I want them to find one. And I also want them to do the the asylum if they're if they're eligible and have a path to citizenship. I'm not against immigration. I'm an immigrant, my parents are immigrant, my parents, we're all immigrants.
Speaker 1: We're all.
Speaker 4: Here's what we're against people coming to this country and breaking the law. I don't even think a lot of people care that they came here illegally as much as they care about getting through. If they're criminals and liars and cheats and they come here and do more of their dastly deeds, it sucks, It really really sucks.
Speaker 20: Well, you know, I'm not as upset about the drive his licenses per se. What I'm worried about is that though going to be able to use those to register to vote, which is totally.
Speaker 4: Well on God, and tell me something, why would Democrats want to do that? You know, isn't the handwriting on the wall honest to God?
Speaker 1: I mean, can't we.
Speaker 6: See through these ruses right now?
Speaker 4: Can't we see that there's no other way for them other than to rely on thieves and criminals and murderers and then other people.
Speaker 1: I'm not saying they're all that, but it's amazing.
Speaker 4: Like when our mayor of Denver says he's going to block the people from Ice from coming in and taking away people, He's talking about the only people they want to take away are thugs and murderers.
Speaker 1: Why is it that we.
Speaker 6: Have politicians in this state that want to protect thieves and murderers?
Speaker 1: Why is that? Why? Well, tell me why. How is that humanitarian?
Speaker 6: How about protecting the citizens for God's sakes, how about protecting the citizens? How about doing your job and representing the electorate, the people who elected you the electorate.
Speaker 4: It's just amazing to me. I think that people have come from here, we have come. First of all, we were overly conservative, then we swung overly liberal. And why can't we just have it somewhere in the middle. Because lopsided government. We have a very dangerous set of lawmakers in this state, very dangerous.
Speaker 6: Now. I will say one thing, there are some good things that come from it, from you, and that is when it comes to consumer stuff and tenants.
Speaker 4: Some of the things they did were very, very good for them. And I think that you get frozen if you're too locked into one side or the other. But in any case, there's no side that's completely evil, no side that's completely good. All I want to see is some balance here. Do you guys, seriously, I know I have democrats and liberals listening to my show.
Speaker 6: Do you really like the way the state's going?
Speaker 4: Do you, honest to God, look at Colorado and say we're better off for the government we have. Do you see that can anyone truly say that we're going in the right direction as a state? Is it time to try something different? I'm not being hateful, I'm being realistic. Isn't it time to say, you know what, let's try something different? Three three, seven to one three talk seven one, three, eight to five five.
Speaker 1: Mark, you're being curiously silent. What do you think?
Speaker 6: Do you think.
Speaker 1: Colorado is changing?
Speaker 6: For the body who's entitled to their own political views and some people it works a democrat?
Speaker 4: Yes, it does. And do you think I'm asking about the state. Do you think we're moving in the right direction.
Speaker 1: The state of Colorado? Yeah?
Speaker 6: No, in the correct position. Do you think I think we're in a direction period?
Speaker 11: Yes?
Speaker 6: In fact, I was arguing with who was it? Oh, Dimitri is sitting next to you. It wasn't really an argument, but we were discussing. I think it was Dmitri Governor Polis and Polus has actually turned away or vetoed quite a few bills that the legislature here is put through that I thought was crazy. I mean, all of them, from gun stuff to other stuff. But he's actually vetoed him and I think about five years ago, I don't think he would have vetoed any i'mber whenever he came into office.
Speaker 1: So what was the argument with Dmitri.
Speaker 6: Well, he didn't realize. I just think Dmitri didn't realize how many things Polis actually vetoed. That he was probably glad vetoed is right, Dmitri was let me let me sorry, let.
Speaker 1: Me ask Dmitri here, Dmitri go ahead.
Speaker 23: I think the divergence between Marx and mine opinion was that from what I recall, Poulis really hadn't vetoed an impressive number of bills. And I think Mark thinks that he and I haven't researched it. But I think Mark erroneously thinks that Polus vetoed a substantial number of bat.
Speaker 4: Go with a sure thing Denver's best rufer excel roofing dot com.
Speaker 1: You don't pay a cent until you're content.
Speaker 4: Time for an insurance checkup free no obligation comparison call Compass Insurance paying too much your coverage at dozens of insurance companies find out now three oh three, seven to seven to one help. You'll think you're his only customer when you choose Frank durand the Real Estate Man dot com to list your home with Remax Alliance three oh three nine two zero sixteen twenty two.
Speaker 6: Helloo, Tom Martinez.
Speaker 5: Here at three oh three, seven to one to three talk seven one three eight two five five.
Speaker 6: Somebody says here that there was a lady I don't know this is true who won the lottery. She didn't tell her husband. She divorced him, and the husband found out after the divorce, and she was getting monthly installments of sixty eight thousand dollars and the ex husband suit her for half. And according to this, the judge was so upset with the lady for hiding assets she granted the entire amount to him. I don't know if that's possible, but anyway, that comes from somebody on a text now, speaking of which, a serious question for Jordan Kiano, who's here about fixed indextenuities and uh overfunding life insurance. They want to know about beneficiaries. Okay, if you if you put a benefit sure on that annuity and you don't renew it and you forget about it, do you know if the estate can change it or not? Do you know anything about that?
Speaker 25: You know, that's a little bit more of a gray area for me. I know with like typically a situations like that, it would go to the estate from my understanding, unless you had something in a will or or within a trust, which they would have already had that as beneficiary most likely for the trust.
Speaker 6: Who do most people name?
Speaker 9: Is?
Speaker 6: Who? To most people name is their beneficiaries their spouse, Yeah, their spouse.
Speaker 25: And this is a good rule of thumb that we practice as most people should look out on their own plans as well. Always have a primary and a contingent, at least one of each for this exact reason, because a primary would be most likely your spouse or significant other, and then the contingent typically children, typically family members thereafter, you always want to have those two on there. So that is a very big rule at our practice here. But that definitely for anybody who has anything out there life insurance wise, you know, annuity wise, to make sure you haven't.
Speaker 6: And I can answer this one. Somebody else wanted to know, can a trust own an annuity?
Speaker 1: And the answer is yes, yep, that is correct.
Speaker 6: Is long yep, they can own an annuity. And then this one came in weeks ago, but.
Speaker 1: I put it aside for us.
Speaker 4: They said, I have qualified money already. Now listen very carefully. It's not involving you, but I want you to listen. They inherited qualified money. That means when you inherit qualified money, you don't get to.
Speaker 1: Keep it qualified.
Speaker 4: You have to distribute it over a ten year period to yourself. So when you inherit, remember this, because they don't want you to inherit, for example, a roth or some other kind of tax free money and keep it there forever. You have to literally get paid out over a ten year period. And for each payment you get paid, you have to pay taxes on. So picture someone who has an account that they inherited. Okay, let's say it's from their dad and it's one hundred grand. They have to literally pay themselves out ten thousand a year, or fifty thousand for two years, or twenty five thousand for four years, whatever, they have to pay themselves out before ten years.
Speaker 6: Did you understand that, Jordan.
Speaker 1: Yes, I did. Now that's correct. Yeah.
Speaker 6: Now, one of these people they were put into an annuity. And what I want to know is isn't that weird or do you think that's not a bad idea. I don't know one way or the other. I was told that when it goes into an annuity.
Speaker 4: Now she's forced to take that ten percent distribution, that ten percent withdrawal every year to make the schedule of paying it out to herself.
Speaker 6: But if she does that, does that that's only going to extinguish the annuity at the end of the ten years.
Speaker 1: Does that make sense? That does so?
Speaker 6: Was that a wise move or not?
Speaker 25: You know, I think that is a little I personally don't think that would be the best route if they already are in that phase of getting that money distributed to them from their father, let's say, because at that point, just like you're saying, you're going to have to pay taxes no matter what, you know, you can't defer that anymore.
Speaker 1: And so this happens.
Speaker 4: So let me ask you this, though, So let's say they put one hundred grand into an annuity and then they have to start drawing it down in a year or two by a minimum amount every year. Does the rest of the money still keep working for them? And is it possible at the end of their ten year draw down, is it possible they still have money in there from the earnings.
Speaker 1: Yes, it is.
Speaker 25: It is possible because the money will still sit there accruing interest just like on that account A and account be we were talking about earlier. So you're still going to earn growth on that money that's sitting there. But the money that they're distributing it and taking out withdrawals, that is the money that, as you mentioned, they're going to be having taken those distributions and paying those taxes on.
Speaker 6: So yeah, and I think when you said it could be in a trust, help me out there. I mean, if you had a family trust set up, you're saying an annuity could sit in there and pay out forever. Then I don't care who dies. It's a trust, it's it's an LLC, so that is possible. No, that's not no, no, no, it's put into the trust, but it's according to the So if I put it into my trust, it just means that the money goes to the trust. Okay, it won't go trust trust.
Speaker 4: No, it's not like a person where if the trust is a lie forever, they're gonna get paid to month. What it means is the remainder goes into the trust the month that the trust will not get monthly payment.
Speaker 25: Death benefit right, yeah, pay out trust.
Speaker 1: So if you're if your annuity is in a trust.
Speaker 4: You're annuity is paid to you monthly until and then when you die, the remainder instead of going to one person or one benefit and it goes to your trust, and then the trustee would then dictate or the trust document what happens to that remainder money. We have more coming up on the Troubleshooter Show. Three oh three seven one, three eight two five five.
Speaker 6: All right, let me go to Susan real quick before we run out of time. Susan, I'm Tom Martinez. What's going on?
Speaker 24: Yes, Tom, I was in an accident with minor children about three years ago and we're coming to the settlement and word has it that we have all the kids'.
Speaker 16: Money must go into probate. So I was wondering if there's a difference between trust.
Speaker 6: And yeah, okay, well when they say it goes when Susan, when they say it goes into probate, it's not exactly the same kind of probate you're thinking about. After that, it's it goes, it goes into the probate court, so it's not mishandled by other people. If it's earmarked for the kids, and each child then Probate court is somewhere you go to make distributions and to control it all. All it is is a place where if someone disagrees with what's being done, they have a place to file to question it.
Speaker 4: It's kind of like the oversight. It's not the trustee. So but here, I don't think you have a choice. You can't take it out of probate. I mean, that's just what happens with miners who are awarded these kinds of damages. Now do you know if it's one is it separated per minor or is it one lump sum?
Speaker 16: Do you know it's it's going to be separate? Well, I guess it's that our decisions, our discretion.
Speaker 4: Did they say, Susan, did they tell you you had a choice and you could put it in a trust if you wanted to.
Speaker 16: No, they just said probate right.
Speaker 1: Right, But you pictured probate court. I know what you pictured.
Speaker 4: Probate is simply the process it goes into here for a process. So in other words, you can't form a trust and say, oh no, I don't want it going to probate instead, I wanted to go to our trust.
Speaker 1: That's not the way it works.
Speaker 6: Got it.
Speaker 1: So what did they tell you about the probate.
Speaker 16: That the kids awards would have to go based off of the decision we made on the division of the the monetary amounts that each child would get, but one child is getting a larger because they sisting extensive.
Speaker 4: Okay, now, let me explain this to you because I just I'm getting out my notes from a previous call. It's to protect the miners' interest, and miners can't legally do any of their own finances. Once they're no longer a minor, they don't have to keep it in probate, so it just keeps you or the adults around them from touching it until they become of age. We can explore this more tomorrow if you want, save all your problems for me.