Speaker 1: This is Gary and Shannon, and you're listening to KFI AM six forty the Gary and Shannon Show on demand on the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 2: It's gonna be windy today. It's gonna be windy today and tomorrow. As a matter of fact, this suggestion is that we'll see gusts as high as forty five miles an hour in some places, stronger gusts if you're in the deserts or the mountains. So not and not warm at all. I mentioned last night went outside to go get the mail, of all things, and it was freezing. Okay, that was It was pants day. I didn't know that.
Speaker 1: That's nice at my place last night. I got home like eight thirty at night, and it was nice. I was not cold at all.
Speaker 2: Well, you live in a very different neighborhood than I do.
Speaker 1: I'm just saying that you're cold. The winter of your life is not. My circulation is starting to shut down. I'm just saying. Compression socks are not always a bad move.
Speaker 2: Compression socks, Okay, all right.
Speaker 1: Actually, the really great for all ages compression socks, like if you're going to be standing a long time, if you ever find yourself standing a long time.
Speaker 2: Why would I do that?
Speaker 3: I don't know. You're doing something that's not this. What do you do? You just don't sit with your hands in your pants?
Speaker 2: What?
Speaker 3: I don't know?
Speaker 1: Well, what do you do? Don't you stand? At times of your life?
Speaker 2: There are times when I stand? That's good for the first hour of the show, did you yeah, the whole hour? Yes, Oh, but I didn't need compression socks.
Speaker 3: I'm gonna stand for this hour.
Speaker 2: That's a good idea. What else is going on? Time four? What's happening? Well? I mention the windy weather here?
Speaker 3: Yeah, you were like it was cold last night. The wind blew.
Speaker 1: In the Midwest and the South, they have been bombarded with severe thunderstorms, hail, and tornadoes. At least seven people have been killed, four in Michigan, two in Indiana, one in Oklahoma. Like I said, rainstrong winds, tornadoes. It is a mess. I feel like every week we talk about it being a mess, every week, every month, every year, everywhere else other than here.
Speaker 2: Well, it's also springtime, and that's when we get some of our most fluctuations, the largest fluctuations when it comes to weather, life threatening, destructive urban flash flooding, and river flooding are likely in some of those areas around Arkansas, Louisiana and Texas.
Speaker 3: Have you ever heard the term arc Latex.
Speaker 2: No.
Speaker 1: Arc Latex apparently is the thing where Arkansas, Louisiana, and Texas join together. That makes sense, Arclateex, we should take the show on the road, grab us an RV and go to Arclatex. Do the show from there in our RV.
Speaker 2: And live amongst the top twenty fattest cities in the entire country. Yes, which they got good food.
Speaker 3: You're damn right they do.
Speaker 1: Hello biscuits in gravy, Hello chicken fried steak.
Speaker 3: Hello America, it is US.
Speaker 2: A suspect wanted to shoot in a in connection with a shooting in Nevada was arrested after he left the state in Nevada and started shooting at people along the fifteen. San Bernardino County Sheriff's Department confirmed that the suspect in question shot a victim in Nevada and then fled south here into California. They haven't said much about the original shooting, including where it took place, but the suspect, while on the fifteen, started shooting at other people and additional victims were shot in Baker. They said. Eventually the suspect stopped and was taken into custody.
Speaker 1: Miniature toy guns have been seized at LAX. They've seized more than one thousand replica firearms and suppressors since the beginning of this year. These shipments are from China, and in an attempt to deceive the customs officials, the replica firearms were misdeclared as miniature toys. They can easily be mistaken for genuine weapons by the public and law enforcement. So you just kind of flash your fake gun because it's cheaper to make people think you have a real gun, and then they leave you alone.
Speaker 2: Is that it, I suppose? But then what happens if you actually have to use your fe happens.
Speaker 1: If that guy has the real gun and you're still stuck there with your toy gun. I mean, like the police officer who asked you to stop, or the bad guy or the bad guy.
Speaker 2: A couple of Anaheim High schools have installed detectors to sense when vapes are being used restrooms and locker rooms. It's Cyprus High and Lara High School now equipped with vape sensing detectors. They'll be able to detect vape smoke. It's vapor or aerosols that would attempt to cover up the vapor. The staff would be alerted through an app and they don't have cameras apparently in the detectors, but they'd be able to tell when an argument or a fight occurs. Also because it would be able to mind under noise levels in the bathrooms.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 1: Well, if you are going to be driving tonight in Los Angeles, there's a lot going on. You've got the Dodgers first pitch at seven to ten, so that means the five is going to be a mess.
Speaker 3: You've got Crypto dot.
Speaker 1: Com the scene of the Kings that is going to be a mess for the one ten, and then you've got the Wee Heart La concert at the Hollywood Bowl tonight that's going to be a mess for the one oh one and the five, or as foxla dot Com wrote it up, expect traffic on the five ten, the one ten, and the one oh one five ten.
Speaker 2: An update out of Boston, by the way, the Selfolk County DA Kevin Hayden is saying that that truck crash where a Penske rental truck crashed onto a sidewalk and hit several people. Appears to be an accident. This was not an intentional act, so that's good.
Speaker 1: In the NFL, both teams will now possess the ball in overtime during the regular season, which matches the postseason rule. That's the way it should be, none of this. You score a touchdown and it's over. You score a field goal, the other team gets the ball. Both teams will possess the ball. So if a game is still tied after each team has position possessionscuse me, then the game becomes sudden death and the next score wins.
Speaker 2: They also change the touchback rule and a kickoff. For example, the ball spot on the touchbacks now goes to the thirty five yard thirty five yard line as opposed to this, this.
Speaker 1: Stupid dynamic kickoffs are sticking around as well.
Speaker 3: And then I don't like those either, nobody does.
Speaker 1: And then also they're still talking, they're going to be talking later in the spring about the length of the season eighteen games. I think they got to get rid of all the preseason games and then have like two bye weeks would be my guess on how that would work the best.
Speaker 2: But do they make a lot of money on the preseason games?
Speaker 1: No, I mean they charged the same, but there's no purpose.
Speaker 3: Nobody plays in the preseason.
Speaker 1: They've kind of there's no draw. There's no draw, nobody plays. It's a hassle, it's expensive. It's a lose lose for every single person, except for maybe the guys down roster that have a spot to shine.
Speaker 2: It's very rare that that happens. And the new torpedo bat of the NFL, the Tush Push. They haven't made a decision on that.
Speaker 1: Right, Okay, Coming up next, the Karen Reid trial. This captivated Boston. We didn't spend a lot of time on it, but the few things that I did hear about it piqued my interest enough for me to watch the documentary on HBO Max. I had friends that are true crime levers that were super into this case. In real time. It was as it was going on. Karen Reed, young single woman, not young really, she's my age, so she's like forty forty years old or whatever. She dating this Boston cop. The two go out drinking with friends. They get into a little bit of an argument. She says, she leaves a friend's house they claim that she hit this guy with her car before she took off. She claimed she took off and something must have happened inside the house, and they're the reason that he ended up dead in the front yard because there was an ice storm that night. It was a hung jury the first time around. She is not a likable defendant. There's a lot of problems with the prosecution's case. The prosecutor the first time around was a total dullard. He was awful. But she is not the most likable character either. So we'll talk about what has changed since her first trial, because there have been some big changes, including with that dullard.
Speaker 3: Since you liked it, I used to crank word.
Speaker 4: You're listening to Gary and Shannon on Demand's from KFI AM six forty.
Speaker 2: Another shaky day on Wall Street. Most of the morning, the Dow Jones Industrial average was in pretty significantly negative territory. It's now back positive by about fifteen points. S and P five hundred is also up nineteen. Nasdaq is up one hundred and thirty eight. All of this has to do with the uncertainties surrounding tariffs. Wall Street Journal reported today that President Trump says he has settled on a plan for the latest batch of tariffs expected this week, but isn't telling anybody what he's decided his economic team. This is again the Wall Street Journal. His economic team struggled to coalesce around a remade trade strategy.
Speaker 1: That's a nice way to say nobody knows what they're talking or less. Coming up in True Crime Tuesday, it's called a bone case.
Speaker 3: Have you ever heard of that?
Speaker 1: That's what law enforcement refers to as a bone case, a case where the remains are skeletal, years interred, evidence eroded, disappeared altogether with the passage of time. That is the case that they uncovered in two thousand and three when a building was being demolished in New York. They found a skull that rolled out as the workers were demolishing that building, and it led to the Jane Doe of Midtown Manhattan. How this young girl ended up killed in a popular nightclub that was finally demolished in two thousand and three.
Speaker 3: We will tell you that story coming up next.
Speaker 2: So the story of Karen Reid is now the subject of at least a couple of different shows documentaries, and it's an interesting case. She was accused of killing her boyfriend John O'Keefe with her vehicle outside of a home in Canton, Massachusetts, during a snowstorm in January of twenty twenty two, following a night of drinking. She's already pleaded not guilty to second to re murder the first. The first trial actually ended in a mistrial, and the defense has argued from the beginning someone else was responsible for killing John O'Keefe, and through a series of cover ups and inside jobs, cops protecting cops, they pinned this thing on the girlfriend, Karen Reid, when in fact the guilty party maybe somebody who wears a badge.
Speaker 3: The investigation right out of the gate was shoddy.
Speaker 1: It was a night where there was a snowstorm. This was a couple that had gone out drinking with other couples, a lot of police department employees in the mix, Boston p D.
Speaker 3: The other the town where he was found, what is it called, Canton, Canton p D.
Speaker 1: A bunch of cops and their wives, all going out drinking the way that they always did, same haunt, same place, says, end up back at one of their homes and this woman, Karen Reid, and her boyfriend at the time they pull up there, and he goes into the house first, and he doesn't come back, and she's like, what the heck, where are you? And so she's texting him, where are you?
Speaker 3: Where are you? She's pissed off.
Speaker 1: You could already tell that the two had kind of gotten into it earlier in the night.
Speaker 3: They're both hot heads, you know.
Speaker 1: You know couples like that where they're given to fights and then they pour alcohol on it, and it's more apt to be prone to fights, right, And that was a love feel better that way. No, that was this couple where they were already chippy to each other and then you have a few drinks or sixteen and it gets worse. Anyway, that's what this couple was, apparently. And he goes in the house. She gets pissed off that he's not coming back out quick enough, so she takes a car and she goes home, and she goes back to his house. Now, his sister had died of disease. I want to say cancer. I'm not completely sure. I don't remember. But he is the custodian of the two kids. And so she goes back to the house where the kids are sleeping and she's texting him, and she's calling, where the hell are you? Where the f are you are you? She thinks he's with another woman. I'm here, I'm taking care of your kids. Where the hell are you? The whole thing, and she starts calling around. She's calling him. Two in the morning, four in the morning, six in the morning, she's calling the wives.
Speaker 3: Have you seen him? Have you seen him?
Speaker 2: Where is he?
Speaker 1: And she goes back, Where's John? Where's John? She goes back to the house. They're driving around looking for the guy, and then at some point in the morning, his body turns up on the front lawn or what was the front lawn, but it's covered in snow because of the snowstorm. So the the investigation goes on to be completely shoddy. The evidence that was collected from the scene was off because of the snow, but also so the way it was collected. Some of the cops that responded did not go inside the home.
Speaker 3: Ever.
Speaker 1: Inside the home who which happened to belong to a high ranking official in the Boston Police Department, never went inside there to see if anything had happened. The marks on John O'Keefe's body were not consistent with if she ran into him with her car, just completely inconsistent.
Speaker 3: They were scratches at weird angles.
Speaker 1: Turns out the couple inside with the high ranking police guy with the Boston PD, they've got a dog that they since re homed because this dog was such a liability. So part of the defense was she didn't do anything. This was a couple. They got drunk, they got into a fight. She left all of his cop but he said no, no, she ran into him her with her car, and that's how he ended up there on the front lawn and the snow there. But they collected evidence using red solo cups. The responding officers did. There was a lot of wink wink nod, non cop type camaraderie things that were missed.
Speaker 3: Situation, there's no doubt about it.
Speaker 1: The investigation was not done by the book, but there's enough doubt in there to where this thing went to a hung jury because it was never really formed.
Speaker 3: If it was a cover up. If these were there was.
Speaker 1: No motive uncovered of why his cop friends would have won him dead other than maybe their dog and him got into it and the dog killed him.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but that would have been one of those that would have been an obvious wounds.
Speaker 1: Well, why wouldn't you just say he was drunk, got into it with our dog, fell down a flight of stairs and died, you know what I mean, Like, that's what happened, but it's his. But his injuries also are not consistent with whatever damage to her car, which was just a broken tail light, right, not consistent with killing somebody and the impact.
Speaker 2: They said that one of the questions she suggested that in her shock and grief, she uttered to panic question the morning that he was found and that they picked him up or they picked her up. She uttered this panicked question, did I hit him?
Speaker 4: Right?
Speaker 2: And their prosecution wants to say that that was a confession when it I mean just probably blacked out drunk situation of I don't remember if I hit him or not.
Speaker 4: Right.
Speaker 2: So there's a couple of interesting things about this. The first one, of course, ends hopelessly deadlocked. Was the jury, so a mistrial was declared. That allows the state to bring the case a second time.
Speaker 1: He hired Alan Jackson, who's from LA. He was a prosecutor here. He did the Mickey Thompson case, he did the Phil Spector case. He is he crossed over to the defense attorney side and has done high profile cases. He's he's wonderful in the courtroom. He's a very good lawyer. The prosecutor in this case was awful, I mean just awful, so they they've swapped him out.
Speaker 2: They swapped him out for a guy who was on Whitey Bulger's defense team who was now acting as the prostitut prosecutor in this case. The other thing is one of the jurors from the original trial happened to be an attorney. That attorney happened to be licensed in the state of Massachusetts, is now on her defense team. So there's a lot of weird twists in that.
Speaker 1: And again she is like the most one of the most unsympathetic defendants. I mean everything in my body's like that. I don't think she did it, but she's such a kind of an a hole that you're just like.
Speaker 2: With the jury I think they're questioning ninety something jurors today to start this thing up again. Does the jury get to see much of that? I mean outside of the witness testimony. They may they may paint a bad picture of her, but they don't get to see her.
Speaker 3: They see her in the courtroom. Yeah, that's enough.
Speaker 2: Her behavior is not saying anything.
Speaker 1: No, but her behavior in the courtroom, and this was a major part of the documentary of people like the way she behaved, like smiling, taking pictures of the people. All of that was very much like me, me me, I'm a celebrity.
Speaker 2: Now, well, you can guarantee that everybody on the defense team has seen that documentary and they're going to tell her we're going to cut that s out. You do not get ste it.
Speaker 3: Hope they would have done that in real time.
Speaker 1: But defense attorneys are also publicity horrors, So good word, what horror publicity?
Speaker 4: You're listening to Gary and Shannon on demand from kfi AM six forty.
Speaker 2: Gary and Shannon kfi AM six forty live everywhere on the iHeartRadio app Tomorrow, we're going to spend some time trying to figure out what's going on with these terrorifts. White House aides have drafted a proposal to impose tariffs of about twenty percent on most imports to the US, according to the Washington Post, but White House advisors are saying that there are still several options on the table. No final decision has may been made. Last night, the President repeatedly suggested that Trump's would be reciprocal and indicated that many countries would not be included in the duties. Of course, worries about the tariffs and the economy have caused the S and P five hundred, Nasdaq, and the Dow all to have some pretty bad days recently. Right now, all three of them are in positive territory, and we'll see how it goes for the rest of the trading day. And then, finally, a revamped anti homelessness funding measure approved by La County voters last November. It takes effect today, which means your sales tax just went up and you didn't even feel it. The county sales tax goes up by at least a quarter of ascent, depending on where you are. The La County voters approved Measure A to help maintain existing programs and provide more revenue to address homelessness throughout La County.
Speaker 1: You ever heard of the scene in midtown Manhattan, quite the happening place in the sixties, I mean, Jim Morrison, Jimmy Hendricks a Fleetwood Mac, I mean this was.
Speaker 3: The place to be.
Speaker 1: Of course, it was a flash in the pan most great clubs are. But it was when this space was being demolished in two thousand and three, when the workers demolishing the joint started hammering into a section of the basement and a skull rolled out.
Speaker 3: That is where we kick off True Crime Tuesday.
Speaker 2: The story is true, that's true.
Speaker 1: No, it sounds made up.
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 2: Parry and Shannon present True Crime. Man. If you are a fan of those one thousand piece puzzles, this story feels like a five thousand piece puzzle.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and a lot of different roads that would take you in different places.
Speaker 2: The pieces that fit in the wrong spots. Yeah, one of those kinds of thing.
Speaker 3: Yes, a lot of sky pieces.
Speaker 2: Lots of sky and clouds. Well, the scene, that club that you're talking about had been many things since the sixties when it was shut down. There three h one West forty sixth Street had several tenants. In some cases it was after the scene had closed and turned into a porn shop, a dive bar, and then a restaurant, And a restaurant was sort of the key that led to the discovery of a body. They were trying to put together a walk in freezer in the basement of this building, in February of two thousand and three, and demolition was the whole thing. The construction workers noticed a raised concrete slab behind an aging coal furnace in the basement of this building. Six feet wide, five feet long a foot high. Didn't make any sense, Why would it be there. One of the workers takes out a sledgehammer and smashes through the concrete and a human skull falls out.
Speaker 3: The cops arrive. They dig in.
Speaker 1: They find the bones of a girl lying in a fetal position, hands and feet bound together by an extension cord wrapped around her neck as well. She'd been wrapped up in a rust colored rug. At some point cement was poured on top of her. They knew she wore a size thirty two, a bra, clear pantyhose, a glittery frock. They recovered a ring with the initials p McK G, a watch issued in nineteen sixty six, a dime dated nineteen sixty nine, and a plastic toy soldier.
Speaker 3: What a wild.
Speaker 1: You know, what do you call those tubes that you plant from years gone by?
Speaker 2: My capsule?
Speaker 1: What a time capsule of a crime scene? Right like the fact that all of this was intact is wild. There was also DNA from an unknown source, possibly a white male, from a hair found in that rug.
Speaker 2: There were some red herrings. They now know they were red herrings. In terms of the time your time cap analogy, there there was a bag of rat poison that was found in that concrete slab that was believed to have been manufactured in nineteen seventy nine. There was a clothing label which wouldn't have appeared to exist before nineteen eighty eight. So they're trying to kind of backtime this and if they know the approximate age of this girl somewhere between sixteen and twenty one years old, they go back and kind of backdate and try to figure out when are they going to start looking through the missing persons reports. So they go back to nineteen fifty eight. That's where they started. Eventually they realized that that was going to be five years too late because those other later things that were discovered were just not actually part of the case that they were looking at.
Speaker 1: Well, yeah, this is all discovered in two thousand and three, but still technology had not caught up nearly to how well it has caught up now, right. They did a lot of different tests on the DNA. The bones were too degragated at that time, degradated to go through and get any and for answers from there. But the Cold Case unit took a look at this in twenty twenty one, and in twenty twenty three the unit ran the DNA profile through COTIS, the National DNA database, and then they started using the familial genetic data. This is what we've talked about numerous times unt how they tracked down the Golden State killer it has been used for iding. Jane Does as well, a veteran genetic genealogist who joined the NYPD on contract, was one of the ones who really sat down and poured through all of the DNA. She was the one who found the name in an obituary for a man named Bernard mccloone. This was after she kind of went through the profiles and intersected them her the familial DNA and found that there was one there was a first cousin, and then there was a second cousin on there was a first cousin on the maternal side, second cousin on the paternal side. They kind of intersected all the data and found out the name Patricia Mclone and that was the one that kind of the only one that had both of those two people in their tree. And then they found the obituary for the guy, Bernard maclone.
Speaker 2: Okay, So once they get to that point and they've got a name for Patricia and they know who she was, they know what basically that she was born in nineteen fifty three, they then have to figure out how did she end up in that concrete slab.
Speaker 1: Again, she's sixteen at the time of her death murder, you would assume.
Speaker 3: Turns out she had a husband.
Speaker 2: Yeah, very weird.
Speaker 4: You're listening to Gary and Shannon on Demand from KFI AM six forty.
Speaker 1: I'm talking about this dead girl for True Crime Tuesday. This young girl that was entombed basically in a concrete slab for decades, a hot club in the sixties that closed down. It was being demolished in two thousand and three, and they recover the bones of this girl and we're trying.
Speaker 3: To figure it out who was she.
Speaker 1: It wasn't until a couple of years ago when they're running the familial DNA that they get this hit and they finally get a name on this girl.
Speaker 3: Now, was it a young.
Speaker 1: Girl who decided to go to one of the hot clubs in midtown, maybe where there was the mafia involved. Maybe was her shady thirty two year old husband. What sixteen years old and she's got a thirty two year old husband. Yeah, there's a lot of ways this girl could have turned up dead, is all I'm saying.
Speaker 2: Well, her mom and dad finger quotes had a pretty interesting life in that Dad actually had two other families by the time he married mom.
Speaker 3: I love a secret family and.
Speaker 2: Try two of them. So there's a lot of mystery going into this girl's life. Early on the club itself, like we said the scene, the last days were not great. Steve Paul was the owner. The bunch of people, including the mob, were coming in and demanding money for protection, etc. You know, we've seen that in multiple movies over the course of years. He predicted in nineteen sixty seven that the club was probably not going to last. And this again is after the Doors had a regular residency there. Jimmy Hendrix would show up, Leonard Bernstein would walk through the halls. Every once in a while, record executives like Clive Davis would be there to try to catch a musical act before anybody else really saw it. Now, it's not clear if nineteen seventy three is about when the scene closed down, if Steve Paul, the owner, knew anything about the teenage girl that was buried in the basement, and if he didn't.
Speaker 3: Somebody knew something.
Speaker 1: I mean, this girl was obviously coming from a troubled home. She may have had a teenage pregnancy. There was a fight over money between her dead father and the mother that remained. There was a brother involved trying to get his hands on the money, and so they still have no idea how this girl was killed, but still so many avenues.
Speaker 3: Sometimes you think you hear these stories and you think, oh.
Speaker 1: So it was the older husband or whatever that impregnated her when she was still in high school.
Speaker 3: Maybe not.
Speaker 1: Maybe it was a girl who went out to the hot club and fell in with the wrong crowd. Maybe it was the guy who ran the club that was in trouble with the mafia and they said, hey, we need you to hide a body and we're going to put it in this concrete in the basement of your club.
Speaker 3: I mean, there's a number of things that could have gone wrong.
Speaker 2: Now, needless to say, the guy that she had married is the guy that the NYPD wants more information on.
Speaker 3: Means still with us.
Speaker 2: That's what they think. His name is Donald Grant. At least they believe his name is Donald Grant. They're very interested in learning more information about him, whether he's still alive, whoever it might be. What other names did the guy actually use, because I mean, it would be obvious. The closest person to a missing or murdered person in this case is going to be the one that's going to have the most information about it.
Speaker 3: That's the obvious one.
Speaker 1: But again, there's so much going around around a hot club like this with big names, that it's an easy place to hide a mistake. Yeah, unfortunately, all right, John kencho But if you know Donald Grant, John Kenshaw, how about the John Cobalchow?
Speaker 2: Did I say John and Kenshaw?
Speaker 3: Where is Ken?
Speaker 2: You have his number? He doesn't. He never gave me a name.
Speaker 3: You Let's see the last time Ken wrote.
Speaker 2: I'm new here, so you have to forgive me. The John Cobelt Show's coming up next tomorrow, Our Liberation Day show.
Speaker 3: Hi, miss you. That's what I'm writing to. Ken? Is that weird? Yes, that's weird.
Speaker 2: Noel said, tomorrow, stay drive, everybody.
Speaker 3: Blessings.
Speaker 2: You've been listening to The Gary and Shannon Show. You can always hear us live on KFI AM six forty nine am to one pm every Monday through Friday, and anytime on demand on the iHeartRadio ap