Speaker 1: The following presentation is it al Marvis Studio's production.
Speaker 2: Tonight's program on Alternative Views is one which you may quite frankly not want to watch. It's going to be very disturbing. The subject is very controversial, even disgusting. The language in some of them may be offensive to some people. But we're going to find out tonight about the senior side of the American power structure and maybe something about male homo sapien. Because the subject of tonight's program is boys for sale, boy prostitution. Where these kids come from, how they use, how they're abused, tortured, killed, used sexually, and who is it that's doing it. We find some very shocking things are happening. We have with us Tom Philpott, the History Department of the University of Texas is a special guest. In an addition, Mark McKinnon, former editor of the Late of Texan at the university. Tom has been doing a lot of research on the subject, and Mark was involved with some articles, very controversial articles a couple of years ago. But before we have our program on boy prostitution, here are some news stories. Well, I guess most of you saw the movie the day after William F. Buckley in his Magnificent mind calls it sheer humbugery and it was a result of junk thought. And then he includes with this, Buckley, I don't know, he's just getting senile or what. I remember a few months ago he wrote an oracle saying that if Nicaragua continues to do what they do, We're going to declare war on them and their backers Cuba and the Soviet Union go to World War three over Nicaragua. Well, anyway, he talks about the nuclear war this way. Remember this, folks, A full scale nuclear war would mean about one hundred million Americans dead. Those hundred million are going to die one of these days without nuclear anesthetic, and they will in almost any case die more painfully. And well, let's have World War three.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he is really obscene. I think his mind got frozen in the nineteen fifties during the McCarthy period, where he literally believed that there was a monolithic totalitarian evil in the world, the Soviet Union, and everything they do is bad. Everything we do to counter this is good, including you know, war and militarism and even nuclear war would be justified against this evil. It's almost sort of a very simplicity Christian view of this Manichean religious in the fourth century that saw a battle between Satan and the Lord as the primary forces of history. And that's Buckley's mindset.
Speaker 2: Well, there are a lot of religious nuts now who are welcoming the nuclear holocaust because that would bring on the second Coming of Jesus. So just don't have any of this nuclear free stuff. Well, they're even trying to say that nuclear war is okay in England. The Ministry of Defense in England has a pr propaganda race going. They're distributing pamphlets and for a while they were dickering with J. Walter Thompson, the big American advertising firm, for one point five million dollar contract to produce slick commercials praising nuclear bombs and saying, hey, we can't let people bullies around, we need these things. The Mother Jones quoted somebody from the Campaign for Nuclear Disarmament there when Senior Bruce Kent he was saying, there's any factor that got the people in England upset, it was our own government civil defense program telling peopleeople to protect themselves against nuclear war by staying at home, by hiding under kitchen tables and whitewashing their windows. A recent poll, by the way, indicates that one half of the British people are opposed to these additional missiles being brought into the British isles.
Speaker 3: As are a growing number of the Germans. There's been several articles about the growing resistance in Germany to the implemmation of these missiles and that yeah, go ahead.
Speaker 2: Well in Germany, there was back in September. First thing I've heard about it, the US soldiers had conducted a mass mock burial exercise called well, I'll save the name until later, anyway, The exercise trained soldiers how to use bulldozers to prepare for mass graves in the case of nuclear war in Europe. It's the first time, according to the Army Stars and Stripes, that this occurred. This came from Counterspy magazine and the code name for this exercise it was Confident Enterprise.
Speaker 3: Wow, I'm seeing there's a very interesting article in these times that puts all of the new Cold War and a very good perspective, and that is that the Reagan administration has claimed that it's tremendous spending on defense, it's building up of the nuclear Arsenal. The spending on these military weapons, putting these weapons systems in Europe is all necessary because Reagan claims over the last five or six years, the Russians have been increasing their spending on weapons or developments of new weapons, whereas we've been decreasing our spending and a falling behind the Soviet Union. Well, this article and in these Times indicates that this is total nonsense, based on complete myths and lies. First of all, they point out that military spending under the Carter years did not decrease as Reagan claimed, but increased two point ninety five percent from nineteen seventy seven through nine eighteen eighty one. Moreover, the CIA has just come out with a report on Soviet Economic Trends and Policy Development that claims that Soviet spending for military weapons, etc. Has declined over the last years since nineteen seventy six, and that they're spending for new weapons and their development of systems has been much lower than the increases in American spending and the CIA and their report has documented this in great detail. Moreover, Reagan administration has been claiming that one of the priorities of the end dropoff administration in the Soviet Union is also to develop new weapons systems to increase military spending, et cetera, whereas the CIA report also indicate that that is complete nonsense, that there has been a drop of spending for military means under end dropoff, who has been dedicating the majority of his new spending programs to non military civilian expenditures, etc. So that it's total nonsense that the Soviets are spending more on money on weapon systems, we're spending less. In fact, during the same period, the Reagan administration has increased military spending sixteen point seven percent annually, which is the biggest buildup of military defense spending in American history, and in fact, the defense budget that was passed by the Reagan administration for the coming year is the highest that has ever been spent in US history. No less than two hundred and forty nine point eight billion dollars will be spent on military spending by the Reagan administration next year, which will include new weapon systems such as the MX nuclear missile, the B one bombers, and other billion dollar programs. For all of these new missiles systems, In fact, the only systems that military systems that the Reagan administration didn't get from Congress was a nerve gas program twice. The Congress voted it down twice. The Senate approved it on a tie vote, with George Bush casting the tie breaking vote in both cases, but the Senate House Conference Committee killed the nerve gas program both times. But otherwise Reagan got all the defense spend he wanted.
Speaker 2: It's curious that this CIA report came out because two years ago from the alternative press, you remember, we carried stories with just this such analysis. And the fact that the CIA seems to rediscover this two years later is rather curious, and the fact that they would come out with this right now is even more curious.
Speaker 3: Reagan just plays fast and loose with his statistics and facts. He's literally the biggest liar that we've ever seen in the White House. And it's been.
Speaker 2: Well along this same line. The Reagan administration, of course, still clings to the zero option for your meaning that Soviets have to dismantle all or most of their existing intermediate range nuclear missiles and then return we will not deploy or use the Pershing two or cruise missiles. Well, the Counterspy quoted a new Congressional Research Service study which showed that the bases for the Reagan administration's claims that they needed to do this were all false, mainly the fact they were saying. The Soviets course say, well, we got to include the British and French missiles in here, and the Reagan says, now, we don't need to do this because the French and British forces are insignificant when compared to the Soviet arsenal. But this new congressional study says that isn't true. Britain has four submarines with sixteen six warhead missiles each. France has five nuclear sub marines with sixteen multiple warheads each and eighteen land based missiles and thirty four Mirage planes which can drop a load on the Soviet Union. And they're working up to fifteen hundred warheads and since it only takes a handful to destroy the country, well that's a plenty. No, it's not to Well, it's understandable the Soviets would be a bit upset about that. Reagan also says that the British and French forces are independent and uncommitted, the US doesn't have any control over it. But this congressional study says, no, that's not true. The British forces are going right along with and planned in with those of the US and even the French, although they do have their own control of it. They are signatory to some packs which indicate that they will coordinate their military power with those of the other European countries in the US. Reagan also says the British and French arms are strategic andnot theater nuclear weapons. Well, when they had the Salt negotiations, the US was saying it was just the opposite. So it depends on what negotiations are using they label them the other way. And that's our new segment this evening. Now let's turn to our main focus, boy prostitution. Well, I'm drained already after talking to you people for a couple of days about this subject. I'm absolutely shocked and I feel degraded too as a member of the human race. Tom, can you first give a case history, just kind of a typical case history, and then we'll talk in greater detail about what happens.
Speaker 1: All right, I can tell you the biography of a little kid from a hollow in West Virginia whose mom and dad went to Houston to find work. He thought that Houston was the capital of opportunity in America. The dad went out there to get a job, a low level job with an oil company brought. The mother then sent for little Jimmy and his little brother. Jimmy and his brother got to Houston on a greyhound bus and his dad mom failed to pick him up.
Speaker 2: How old were they.
Speaker 1: Jimmy at that time was twelve and his little brother was six. They spent the night in the terminal, Jimmy fending off the advances of a number of men, and then the dad came to pick him up. The next morning, the parents had both gotten drunk and forgotten to pick up the kids. The boys went to live with their parents. The parents both had severe drinking problems. The dad lost his job, the mother got killed in a car wreck. The little boy was severely injured. Jimmy dropped out of school to try to hustle was his word, money to help keep the family what was left of it together. The dad died choking in his own vomit after a drinking bout, and Jimmy was the sole support of himself and his little brother. The rent was coming round and Jimmy had no money. And then a neighbor kid said to him, you can get ten dollars just for watching me play with a man. And Jimmy said, that's queer, and his friend said, it's not queer if the guy does it to you, if you just let it happen, and all you have to do is watch, Jimmy did it. Then the man offered Jimmy twenty five dollars to let the man play with Jimmy, and Jimmy took it, so he had thirty five dollars, and then he got introduced into the routine. Jimmy was little, only twelve, and he was small for his age, and the circuit he went on in Houston was not the main one, which is Montrose. He went to a place nearby, an arcade called fun Land. The way that worked was the boys would stand by the machines and a man would come by. If the man offered quarters, the boy would take him, and then the man the boy would go off. Jimmy became a professional prostitute at the age of twelve. He survived in that capacity until he was fourteen.
Speaker 2: Was he working on his own or was he part of an organization?
Speaker 1: He was not part of an organization. He was what they called the farm League, and he was taking care of his little brother. His brother got killed in a car wreck when he was driving with some people, and Jimmy then was a desolate and almost destitute. He used the last money he had to bury his brother. He did not want to let his last surviving relative, his grandpa in West Virginia, know the way things had gone. A reporter in Houston last saw Jimmy across the street from fun Land, and a man who used to pay boys for sex then told this reporter, I know that boy. He told the man who's a friend of mine, that one time he was having sex with that little boy, and then he realized that the boy was crying, and he looked up and saw that the boy was sucking his own thumb, and at that point he had to break off the encounter. The journalist believes that this reformed man who used to use boys was his own best friend. The boy who had been having sex with Jimmy. Jimmy disappeared. His body was later found mutilated, and his grandfather was notified. The police then told the grandpa in a very cruel way, that the grandpa shouldn't try to get a loan from the city of Houston. It would cost five hundred dollars to ship the body. To ship the body to West Virginia because the boy was nothing but a harbor whore or worse. Grandpa died shortly thereafter. The whole family is dead. Now. Jimmy was a typical kid. He wasn't looking for this life. He found it. He needed some means of support. He took what he could get, and he came to grief and met his death. Houston is possibly the worst city in the United States for the misuse of lost and runaway boys or homeless defenseless boys. Probably three hundred and fifty or more boys are killed every year in Houston.
Speaker 4: About Houston, I would say I hear about Houston, but it is the worst. That children are brought to Houston from places such as New Orleans or from other parts of the Southwest.
Speaker 5: Their life is sad. It's one hundred percent sad.
Speaker 6: They get up, you know, one or two or three during the day and they go out and they have to.
Speaker 5: Earn money, and they're treated bad.
Speaker 6: They eat only when they're fed by somebody else, and they never get anything for anything.
Speaker 5: They always have to return sexual favors for it.
Speaker 6: They sometimes get beaten, they get robbed, they get pushed, you know, the police abuse them.
Speaker 5: Everybody abuses them. One young man got out of a.
Speaker 6: Car by young man, I mean the agent of probably fifteen maybe sixteen, and then he got out of the car and he was just badly beaten, I mean his note to his bit. He looked right out of his face was black and blue, and blood coming out of his nose, and his lip was fat, and he couldn't walk very well, and he was sick to his stomach and the bushes and he was just very badly beaten evidently, and got either a bad trip or the man was on astinam or something, and just kind of like shoved them out of the cars.
Speaker 5: He went round the corner, opened the door for him, said get out.
Speaker 7: Any abem ever want to hurt you. That's why I watch out for him.
Speaker 1: Do you watch out for them?
Speaker 7: How do you tell no when they started to jump now want to jump on you? Yeah, if they didn't, I'll be ready. I'll be watching other time.
Speaker 8: What do you be doing then.
Speaker 7: Laying down bed letting just watching?
Speaker 1: What if they start to jump on you?
Speaker 9: What can you do.
Speaker 10: I always care pocketnized somebody that I don't know if they hurt me or not. You know, I just watch out for him just in case they do start out of ten.
Speaker 5: I'm weird.
Speaker 9: I mean, they get you know.
Speaker 11: There was one guy that picked me up in Atlanta and he just said that, you know, he wanted somebody to go out and have a few beers when he was smoking joint. And we got over there and I was drinking his beer and all of a sudden, you know, doing like that, and I couldn't even see straight. My eyes were rolling back, and then the room started spinning and I was out of it.
Speaker 9: When I came around, he had me tied.
Speaker 11: Up in the basement, no less way up like this, you know, and I couldn't even move.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I stretched.
Speaker 5: What was he doing to you?
Speaker 9: Nothing?
Speaker 11: He was just sitting there with this whip looking like he's gonna hit me with it. He just threatened me a lot, and I was sitting there crying and scared to death, you know, because well the worst I could do is kill me.
Speaker 8: That interview was conducted several months ago in Houston, Texas. Investigators now fear that the fifteen year old is dead. The body of a young man found ritualistically dismembered and Missouri is thought to be his.
Speaker 11: Oh.
Speaker 9: Oh, he was clamping handcuffs on me.
Speaker 2: I was laying on my stomach.
Speaker 9: The other two were on their stomach.
Speaker 5: And they were handcuffing. Their feet were tired.
Speaker 8: The most shocking and horrifying result of older men having sex with young boys is the story of Dean Coral in Houston, Texas, and more recently John Gasey in Chicago. In Houston, Carl lord Or had brought to his home at least twenty seven young boys, all under the age of seventeen. The boys were sexually assaulted then killed in Houston.
Speaker 1: I give the figure based on I think prudent calculations that upwards of three hundred and fifty boys a year are killed deliberately because of this. Many more die of drug over use, nutrition of suicide. The national toll per year is in the thousands. Every year kids die violently because of this. In the first three months of this year nineteen eighty one, thirty boys were found dead in Houston. None of them was called a homicide. They were found to be dead of exposure. Debt of cause is undetermined debt of massive internal bleeding, as in the case of one child under ten who was found naked in a Dempsey dumpster with his colon and his rectum torn apart. He was called not a homicide but a victim of massive internal injury.
Speaker 2: He was fist raped.
Speaker 3: Yes, what is the sort of psychic roots or the nature of this phenomenon.
Speaker 1: I've been studying this phenomenon since the spring of nineteen and to the best of my knowledge, most men who seek sex from boys are not homosexuals to the extent that they have active sex lives at the peer level. They are heterosexual. Many of them have no peer sex at all. There are gay people who are what we call petteris, that is, men who lust after children, especially boys. But it appears to be the case that most such men are not gay. That their attraction is for young, defenseless children, especially boys, because they're more exotic and more forbidden. But it is not a matter of gay rights as advocated by practically anybody. This is a much different phenomenon. The reason that the gay community usually scorns any investigation of the subject is that they know that the average person in the public will blame homosexuals and homosexuality for the phenomenon, regardless of what facts are presented.
Speaker 2: Well, this is not just a sexual thing in the way we talk about it. It's a power trip and it's also a sadistic thing because these kids are tortured and killed.
Speaker 12: Kind of individuals involved are down the line almost in every instance. In the cases I've investigated, men who are very powerful, usually very wealthy, and usually administrate control over a large number of people.
Speaker 13: Wealthy Houstonians can and do obtain boys in a most discreet manner.
Speaker 14: It's gotten a little more sophisticated now, it's gotten more, it's gotten more expensive prices, higher prices are paid, and it's it's gotten a little more whisticated in terms of Oh, I think the types of people who are who are into it, types of adults who are into it, professional.
Speaker 1: People Houston professional people. Yeah, yeah, soliciting boys, oh.
Speaker 9: Sure, you know, I mean a millionaire.
Speaker 15: And you have people here that are so wealthy that they can't let anybody know what they're doing, that they're willing to pay two three four hundred dollars a night, you know, for one of these boys not to say anything about them, you know, you got judges, doctors, lawyers, politicians, advertising.
Speaker 3: People involved in.
Speaker 6: In buying young people, if it's for an hour, for a night, or for a month or per year.
Speaker 1: They actually have white slavery in this country.
Speaker 16: So facts, and then in Houston right now it's going on, Tom.
Speaker 3: Is there any evidence that there's any connection with organized crime? Obviously with other forms of prostitution that we know about, they're close connections. The mafia has always utilized prostitution as one of the pillars of its organizations and sources of its income. Is there any connection here that has been revealed with organized crime.
Speaker 1: Yes, when we're talking about four hundred kids on the street between two and four in the morning and a city like Houston, there's very little organization. There may be a runner or a pimp who's trying to squeeze the boys a little, but there's no big businessman running a sophisticated operation. But when there is a bookstore with forty stalls, there's often a stable of boys. That's fairly good sized business. And there's bigger business than that. That's the call boy operations like this one we described with the ten thousand customers, that's big business. It's crime. It's organized, but it's not the mafia. It's the pillars of our society. There is big business ice crime. It's sophisticated. It's closely attached to the major financial, commercial, industrial, educational institutions of our society. It's run by the same people who run those. It's frequented by the same people who occupy management positions in those. It's not the mafia, it's it's an adjunct of clean business. It's serving the most respectable people we have in our society, the people who are the elite.
Speaker 2: I assume you can't name names at this particular time, but.
Speaker 1: Not of people haven't been apprehended yet.
Speaker 2: Right, Okay, are senators involved? Us senators? Well, but Congressman, let me give you some information here. Now, this is stuff that has come out of newspaper clippings. It has gotten far enough to get in the newspaper, even if it hasn't been followed up. This was potentially the big case of all.
Speaker 9: That.
Speaker 2: The one in New Orleans.
Speaker 1: Yes, a New Orleans Boy Scout troop was busted for actually being a callboy ring of boy prostitutes. The man who was the leader of the boy Scout troop was given seventy five years in prison, and then he offered to tell a story. The story he told was that the congressional delegations from two states, one of which was Louisiana and one of which bordered Louisiana, and as he put it, the entire hierarchy of one of the states, as far as top political posts, were all involved as customers of the little boys. And he said he was willing to name all the names. That was a UPI story of twenty six November nineteen seventy nine, and he never talked again. As he said, he's still in jail. He said there was one US Senator and many congressmen, weren't there.
Speaker 3: A couple actually right wing, knew right and representatives congressmen in Washington, bamen who were actually well found guilty of molesting Doug.
Speaker 1: I wish you were right. Congressman Robert Bauman was apprehended in February of nineteen eighty having sex with a sixteen year old boy. For some reason, no charges were brought until September nineteen eighty. At that point, the FBI and the US Attorney made an agreement to keep all details of the account out of public records. The charges were dropped on Bauman's promised that he would take a drug or an alcoholic abuse treatment program. He continued in office, and he ran for reelection. He was defeated, but he said he would go on to run again. William F. Buckley is one of his closest friends. They were co founders of Young Americans for Freedom in the American Conservative Union. The way Buckley put it was this, it transpires that during alcoholic bouts he engages in homosexual acts. He went on to say there was a complaint filed by a sixteen year old boy. Then he went on to say Bomba should resign from Congress and resign from the positions and conservative organizations because he was an embarrassment. Bauma never went to trial. He didn't actually go to a formal pre trial hearing either. Then there was a Texas Congressman Wyatt, who was caught well, actually, I take it back, he was not caught. A juvenile reported that Wyatt had forced sex on him. Charges were never filed. That's a quote. Charges were never filed, despite the fact that the boy had filed a complaint, and Wyatt said he was going to run again when it was published in the Austin Paper that the complaint was not that he was drunk driving, but that he had forced sex on a juvenile. Mail He said he wouldn't run again. He was already in the alcohol rehabilitation program. So there was no trial, no pre trial hearing, no charges.
Speaker 2: Wasn't there another ring of tour guides, boys's tour guides for congressmen?
Speaker 1: Well, that you may be referring to the case of Representative Henson, Republican from Mississippi, who was found having sex with somebody in the men's room of the Longworth House office building. There conflicting accounts. According to one account he was having sex with a minor. According to another account he was having sex with an adult. He said he was innocent, and he agreed to undergo alcohol abuse treatment and he was not charged. Well, there were many charges were dropped.
Speaker 2: Well, what was the story about the about the young boys being tour GUIDs for the capitol? And this was also part of a little boy sex ring, and also some of it resulted in campaign contributions. I read that, and.
Speaker 1: That has to do with the state of Texas as a matter of fact. And here's the way we can tell that story.
Speaker 2: This is one you can't tell.
Speaker 1: We got into the newspaper. Yeah, I saw the news, but then it disappeared. What appeared in the newspaper was a boy's home run by a Texas state representative was being investigated for charge of abuse of the boys. The state representative said that there was no abuse. He claimed that his place could not be investigated by the state because it was private, like that of Reverend roll Off. The story died and didn't appear in the press anymore. The lead that produced the initial story was that that representative took campaign contributions and then the contributors, as a reward, got to have sex with the boys in the home, and that he did this for more than himself, but for other representatives. That man is out of the state legislature.
Speaker 2: So we've talked about legislators, congressmen, senator, senators, people in the highest ranks of the government at the local, at the state level. Now, are these just operations or is this part of a widespread ongoing thing.
Speaker 1: I think it's very widespread, and not just among powerful politicians. We've talked about politicians, but it seems to be the case that in all high powered.
Speaker 2: Professions corporations, and now we're talking.
Speaker 1: About corporations, met in law, even the university, not necessarily professions with bloated salaries, but prestige, some power, influence, and above all pressure. The men involved are susceptible to this kind of deviation.
Speaker 17: I'm working right now, you know, like just you know, with the corporation.
Speaker 5: And what's that? How does that work?
Speaker 17: Well, when they're executives or you know, their business people are in town, they're sent to our apartment and we entertain them while they're here.
Speaker 2: Okay, what's that entertainment usually involved?
Speaker 5: What do they usually demand or what do they want?
Speaker 17: Well, it's all kinds of sex and perversions. There's no two. Like, I've decided that everyone's in for something different, so I can't really stereotype the hope.
Speaker 5: Yes, all the men want different things.
Speaker 17: Yeah, right, but we're usually in the passive side and they're usually the dominant player.
Speaker 10: Well, it was a real old man, older man right about in his sixties seventies.
Speaker 17: What does he do?
Speaker 8: A great hospitals.
Speaker 7: Operates on paper.
Speaker 3: Doctor.
Speaker 1: We've talked about those men who have achieved power and also among those men who wanted it but didn't get it. Men like poor Gasey in Chicago, who killed at least thirty three boys. He was not a well to do man, but he was a joiner. He paid high dues to join men's clubs. He paid one thousand dollars to join the President's Club so he could have dinner with Jimmy Carter. Instead, he had dinner with Missus Carr, had his picture taken with her. He was an upwards striver. He killed at least thirty three boys. He offered in his defense that he could not identify any of the thirty three boys by face or by name, because he had had sex with fifteen hundred different boys in the previous five years, three hundred different kids a year, and most of them, as he said, were prostitutes. He didn't snatch them off the street. He went out and bought their services, and then he coerced them, as this lawyer in Washington says, no one ever does. He made them captives, and he killed them.
Speaker 2: What about women and the positions of power in government? You don't find women involved in that, Well.
Speaker 12: You don't find many women involved in positions of power in the American.
Speaker 1: Maybe that explains the what appears to be the fact women don't do this to little girls. Heterosexual women. Homosexual women' do this to little girls or a little boy or little boys. I mean, it happens, but it's not common, it's not ordinary. It's not a phenomenon in the threat. If you have a little girl and you have an adult female friend, you needn't have any apprehension. But if you have little kids who are boys, they are in more danger than the little girls today.
Speaker 3: Why do you think there's so much violence caught up in this?
Speaker 8: Investigations in other cities have shown that boys thirteen fourteen, even younger are coerced into prostitution with threats of physical violence, and are sometimes shipped across state lines, shipped to the older adult men who desire young boys for sexual acts. Occasionally, these boys episodes with their older clients ends and physical violence. There are men who seek young boys to torture and sometimes to kill.
Speaker 1: This phenomenon is nique to America. It may not even be unique to advanced industrial urban societies. In the other places where it occurs, though it doesn't seem to be attended by a high level of mayhemic violence in the United States, it is.
Speaker 3: In Islamic countries, for instance, a prostitution with boys at a standard. I've been in Morocco and Algeria and observed this, and yet I've never heard any stories of violence being involved. In other words, it's an erotic phenomenon. As a proposed it as power or psychological.
Speaker 1: Well, there are those who would have us believe that that is the case in America. Here, for instance, is an article written by a law professor in Washington, d c. Who was general counsel to the Metropolitan Police Department. This article was written in nineteen eighty one. He says, if the boys are victims, it is largely in the technical sense. It is more accurate to drives them as entrepreneurs who by and large understand their own motivations. They do it for money, for drugs, for pleasure, and perhaps for some is a crude gambit for emotional sustenance. But unlike teenage girl prostitutes, they do not act out of fear. There is no coerced recruitment, no whippings, no incarcerations in their rooms, and no sweet talking pimps with cadillacs. That's not what I have found.
Speaker 3: So you think that's false, that Washington Police Chief.
Speaker 1: I think it's false, and I think it's a deliberate falsehood.
Speaker 2: Well, let's talk about we haven't talked about the proliferation of the United States of this. We've talked about a few individual cases. How widespread is it and what are the numbers we're talking about?
Speaker 1: Well, we know of this. For instance, this is a standard. A half a million kids run away or are thrown out of homes every year in the United States, and the majority of them are boys. Another thing that the Presidents Commission on Obscenity found. This is the commission that Richard Nixon repudiated. It mentioned in passing that child pornography was a phenomenon of the abuse of children, and then went on to say that for every female prostitute of any age in the United States, there are nine boys under age who are prostitutes. That is a finding which is debatable and is a speculation, but it went unnoticed. I think though, that if you're getting in a car in pro all the streets of the capitals of this practice Houston, New Orleans, Atlanta, Chicago, New York, Los Angeles, and to a much lesser extent, Austin. Our state capitol and Washington, the nation's capital, you'll find that boys are the ones hustling more than the women.
Speaker 3: Mark some of the research that you do it in Austin here that started off your involvement in this issue, indicated that there was a possible ring of homosexual boys in Austin. Could you tell some of the facts on this case.
Speaker 12: Well, my interest in this whole issue originated when as a reporter for the Daily Text and we heard through the grapevine that a pharmacist here in town had been busted. And I don't remember the original charge. I'm not sure if the abuse of a boy in home, I guess it was abusive. That's abusive, a boy in a halfway house. Well, the thing that interested us about the case was that the police had later found in his home a file and index file of anywhere from two to five hundred names of young boys in the around the Travis County area and counties company in Travis County, and it had their names, phone numbers, parents' names in many cases, sexual statistics on the on the personnel height, age, weight, and in some cases preferences. And that sounded like an astounding thing to us that there should be somebody.
Speaker 16: Traveling around, and what he did was he would hang.
Speaker 12: Out at high schools and and offer the drugs that he had available, as he was.
Speaker 16: A pharmacist, in exchange for sexual favors.
Speaker 12: Well, we followed that up and and uh somewhere down the line of judicial uh scrutiny, the entire the evidence was lost or disappeared or was unable to be retracted, and they're there.
Speaker 16: It complicates from there, but that's that's how we got well Anderson.
Speaker 1: His name was Anderson, Robert Anderson. He was found guilty of one charge and sentenced to two years in prison, and then he skipped. He was he was still not incarcerated. He skipped and he's ever been found again.
Speaker 3: It was there any indication that he was involved with other men who were participating in these favors and others. What would the point of him keeping these cards be unless there was some sort of business.
Speaker 1: He was an agent. He was an agent, and he had quantities of drugs. Mark didn't mention that he listed next to the name of each boy that boy's personal drug preference. And he also had a very large quantity of muscle relaxes to administer to boys, to make sense easier for the men.
Speaker 12: Not only that, but there was also the names of several several well known business men in the Texas community that, for obvious reasons, were contacts.
Speaker 2: Okay, what about you talked about boy scout groups and boys homes.
Speaker 1: What about these, Well, a boy's home is an an ideal place if you want to get in on an operation and get hold of some vulnerable kids, it's an ideal place to do it. In San Antonio this August, two men who were supposed to be Catholic priests were arrested for sodomizing fifty boys ages three and a half to fourteen that year, and they had several hundred boys in the past three years. They're having sex with the boys on a regular basis. That was why they established the home to get at little boys. In Dallas, a place was closed down the year before. In Houston. Jimmy was in a home in Houston for a while and he was raped by his caretaker. That place was closed down. In Houston, there are only forty two beds available in all the homes for boys in the whole city, and one of the homes that still opened was previously investigated and the rest were made because of attacks on the boys. It's very common. It's very hard to trust any place that presents itself as a home for boys. And one of the tragedies of that is when somebody opens one that is clean, like Covenant House in New York City operated by Father Bruce Ritter, the first thing that happens is there's a smear campaign against it, and everybody says it's dirty too. So if there's a clean one, it gets a bad name. The object is that to make it impossible to tell the good ones from the bad ones.
Speaker 2: I guess the boy Scout people have this problem too.
Speaker 1: Yes, we've mentioned a couple of boy sCOD rings. That doesn't mean that the boy Scouts or an organized group to feed pederis.
Speaker 2: Yes, what about judges and police.
Speaker 1: Judges and police are in high pressure professions too. To my knowledge, the police are involved less as practitioners of this than the other stressful professions. By far. We mentioned to mention the clergy with all regret, the clergy is highly susceptible to this. Real priests and not just bogus priests like those in San Antonio.
Speaker 3: You mentioned some of the worst phenomena here these mass murders in Houston and in Chicago. Does this connect with Atlanta in any way. There's been, as you know, mass murders of all these black children in Atlanta, and as I recalled, the FBI when they initially got in the case, after they made this a federal case, Reagan or I guess it was Bush went down there. The FBI came out with a report that indicated there may be sex abuse of some sort in the death of these children. Then it seemed to be pretty much dropped after an initial play in the media. Do you have any comments on that.
Speaker 1: Yes. The first indications that leaked out that may be the kids who were victimized in Atlanta murdered were actually boy prostitutes who went to the people in the cars to make a contact came out in February, and then National Cable News Network and ABC News tried to mention this as a possibility. It's a very delicate thing. It's almost an insult in affront to the black community to say the Angels of Atlanta were really prostitutes. Unless you believe as I do, and unlike that law professor, I, unless you believe they're victims, they're not responsible for what is happening. They're being used and abused, but the public reaction was chilly, so the networks dropped it. They revived it in April and dropped it again. I have headlines here quotations from news broadcasts about the boys possibly being hustlers and that fellow who has been arrested and indicted being photographer procureur. Among the mothers of the first ten kids, those women who went public and talked about their predicament is one who said to the Wire Services in an interview, I'm afraid my son was involved in prostitution. I'm afraid that that's what got him killed. I'm afraid it's the link to the whole series of murders. And no newspaper in America printed the wire service copy.
Speaker 3: Isn't part of this whole phenomenon dealt with a business of pornography, child pornography. Pictures are taken of these acts, films are made, and it's Wayne Williams. We know is a photographer, and we know he has training electronics, he'd done radio work, he'd done recording work. So might he be involved in a film organization and indeed possibly even a snuff organization. There's been some evidence about US films where people are literally killed on film and that these are distributed the films, So is there some possibility that that might be involved.
Speaker 1: I think it's possible, and I think it's likely. We were talking about an ongoing case, and I think we have to be very careful about what we say. In Houston, I have seen myself big vans that don't have cabs on them, and I've seen young kids go into the van and not emerge for an hour or an hour and a half, and sometimes with the door open. I've seen photographic equipment inside. A raid was made on a mansion in Houston. Although the newspapers in Houston referred to it as a flat, it was a mansion. Inside that mansion was more photographic equipment than klrn KLRU possesses, and that's one of the biggest stations in the Southwest, bigger than Channel thirteen in Houston possesses. Channel thirteen played up the raid with the news media. Besides Channel thirteen didn't. It was as if five guys in a little studio were taking candid camera shots of kids. They were producing books in there. There was also an interest in Houston in nineteen eighty one of a man who sold twenty different films child pornography films to somebody from Boston. He was committing several federal crimes and doing that, and among those films, although the newspapers would not print the information among those films was that of an infant being sexually used by men, and a film in which somebody appears to have been murdered. That person hasn't gone to jail yet.
Speaker 2: What about the bookstores and the places where they show movies and stuff like this here in town form.
Speaker 12: I think how much you don't find this sort of thing in the bookstores because it's the people who are trading and dealing with this kind of thing is very clandestine operation, and having gone through an investigation myself, I know how absolutely.
Speaker 16: Impossible it is to trail of this stuff.
Speaker 12: I mean, if you're dealing with people who are not stupid, you know they are levels of power because they're intelligent people by and large, and they cover their tracks and they're not about to be dealing with them through the bookstores. I think maybe five years ago you could find that sort of thing, but now I think it's been pretty much cleaned up time they have.
Speaker 3: Well.
Speaker 1: I went into a bookstore in Austin two years ago in daylight, and my experience is the difference between the operation and daytime, and daytime is the difference between night and day. Yet in daylight, I first bought a magazine that had pictures of people of borderline age that could have been eighteen, that could have been seventeen, and seventeen is legal. And then I had the names of illegal publications. I first asked for a register that listed boys by description. It was a catalog order a boy.
Speaker 3: I asked for that bookstore here in Austin's.
Speaker 1: A crime to print that, to reproduce it, to distribute it, to buy it, to possess it. I broke the law by saying I want that, and the guy reached under the counter handed it to me, and I said what about this? And he handed me that, and I said what about this one? He handed me one more, and I walked out of there with a lot of illegal goods. It was in the daytime. I understand that as of now nineteen eighty one, the same bookstores don't let somebody they don't know do that sort of thing, even at night. But I've been in places in Houston within the last several months. One in particular I can describe. You had forty cubicles where supposedly men go in and put in quarters to watch dirty movies, and outside every cubicle was a little boy. I was approached both by little boys as if I were a man who might want a boy, and I was approached by older men who, in the dark thought I looked young. That was on a weeknight, not on Friday or Saturday in Houston.
Speaker 16: When I started following up.
Speaker 12: Some films that we heard were circulating in the Houston area, I called an old friend of mine while I was investigating another case involved in this, because we heard that it had been viewed by the District Turns office in Houston.
Speaker 16: This friend was a good.
Speaker 12: Friend who had known through from bars, you know, I mean, in a very social atmosphere, not a professional one. I called him to ask about if he had heard anything about this film or viewed it himself. Perhaps he answered the phone, I said hello, and we chatted for him, and I said, by the way, have you heard anything about this film? And he cut me off and said, I've never talked to you before in my life boom, and I've never talked to him again. And I've known this guy for a couple of years. As sin as I mentioned that film, It's like.
Speaker 1: When Boyce for Sale was shown on TV. It was shown first as a nightly series and then there was a summary program. The biggest bank in Houston withdrew its advertising from the show and from the station because it showed that program. And the bank managed to get the other advertisers for that program to withdraw their advertisings.
Speaker 12: And if I might interject this just for a moment, because it was it ties into the power problems I remember originally with the Robert Anderson, the pharmacists we talked about earlier. One of the items found in his apartment was a wallet or checkbook I.
Speaker 16: Guess, with the student's address the name on it.
Speaker 12: Well, we started make some phone calls and try to contact this person. We finally got through to his father and it turned out it was one of the major banks in Dallas. His father was the bank president, and we thought we had a hot league going. And next thing, I know, I can't mention the names here, but a very powerful law enforcement agency head called us that we were asking about this individual's name in Dallas, and he called us back and said, and it was so cryptic that it was unusual. He just said, all I can say is forget Dallas, you know, like, don't touch it.
Speaker 13: The Texas House Committee has been charged with looking at the problem. To public hearings later, the committee has been unable to make any serious progress. Its budget was slashed from eighty thousand to fifteen thousand dollars, hardly enough to do an honest probe, and the committee chairman admits to knowing of the problem in Houston, but says he's been told to back off.
Speaker 18: When we started this committee, we asked for money to do an adequate investigation to determine just how serious the problem of child pornography, child prostitution, sexual exploitation is here in Texas, which I think is a proper thing for this committee to do.
Speaker 3: Now.
Speaker 18: That was the first indication that we had pressure on it's. The second indication was when I appeared before the House Administration Committee when they chopped our budget, and subsequent conversations with certain members that said we have got to stop our investigation.
Speaker 5: Hey, did they want you to stop?
Speaker 1: I don't know why. I have no find out I plan to find out.
Speaker 18: I think it's serious that they were getting this kind of pressure.
Speaker 2: The concluding program of Boys for Sale will emphasize the law enforcement and judicial performances, the handling of the subject by the mass media, and will provide a more intimate understanding of the lives of the children involved.
Speaker 1: There is big business morgan ice crime. It's sophisticated. It's closely attached to the major financial, commercial, industrial, educational institutions of our society. It's run by the same people who run those. It's frequented by the same people who occupy management positions in those. It's not the mafia. It's an adjunct of clean business. It's serving the most respectable people we have in our society, the people who are the elite.
Speaker 2: In our previous program, the first section of this two part series on boys for Sale, the widespread use and abuse of youths for the gratification of various men around the country, we talked about the general nature, who's involved, what kids, where they come from, how they got involved in it, the nature of the men themselves, the ages, the fact that they come from the highest the socio and economic and political stratum of American society, the fact that this is a very widespread thing and that it is hushed up generally, and it's extremely violent. Kids are killed, Many kids are killed and tortured every year as well as abused. Tom Philpott is still with US History Professor University of Texas. Mark McKinnon, form editor of The Daily Texan. But before we get into tonight's program further, we will review some of the most important points of the first section of Boys for Sale for people who may not have seen the first program.
Speaker 8: Investigations in other cities have shown that boys thirteen, fourteen, even younger are coerced into prostitution with threats of physical violence, and are sometimes shipped across state lines shipped to the older adult men who desire young boys for sexual acts. Occasionally these boys episodes were their older clients ends in physical violence. There are men who seek young boys to torture and sometimes to kill.
Speaker 1: The President's Commission on Obscenity found This is the commission that Richard Nixon repudiated. It mentioned in passing that child pornography was a phenomenon of the abuse of children, and then went on to say that for every female prostitute of any age. In the United States, there are nine boys underage who are prostitutes. And there was a callboy ring operated out of New York City which had phone hook ups with Houston, Atlanta, Los Angeles, New Orleans, Washington, d C. And that callboy ring had a list of ten thousand clients who could call and with a credit card purchase a boy. Hello.
Speaker 12: Hello, this is credit card number six, seven, eight nine. I'd like to make an order. Please go ahead. I'm looking for young male, blonde hair, blue eyes, body hair or nobody here, thick body hair?
Speaker 5: Please?
Speaker 1: What age ten to twelve? Butch or fem butch?
Speaker 5: Please?
Speaker 1: What is your address?
Speaker 12: I'm at the Houston Marriott Hotel, Room three thirteen.
Speaker 1: Wire me two hundred dollars now by a credit card and you have one hundred dollars in cash for the boy. He'll be there in thirty minutes. Thank you, Thank you. In Houston. I give the figure based on I think prudent calculations. Upwards of three hundred and fifty boys a year are killed deliberately. Because of this, many more die of drug overuse, male nutrition, of suicide. The national toll per year is in the thousands. Every year, kids violently because of this, and to the best of my knowledge, most men who seek sex from boys are not homosexuals to the extent that they have active sex lives at the peer level. They are heterosexual. Many of them have no peer sex at all. There are gay people who are what we call pederis, that is, men who lust after children, especially boys, But it appears to be the case that most such men are not gay. That their attraction is for young, defenseless children, especially boys, because they're more exotic and more forbidden. But it is not a matter of gay rights as advocated by practically anybody. This is a a much different sort of phenomenon. The reason that the gay community usually scorns any investigation of the subject is that they know that the average person in the public will blame homosexuals and homosexuality for the phenomenon, regardless of what facts are presented.
Speaker 12: Kind of individuals involved are down the line almost in every instance in the cases I've investigated, men who are very powerful, usually very wealthy, and usually administrate control over a large number of people.
Speaker 13: Sixteen year old boy came to us telling how he'd started as a prostitute at age twelve and now is employed by a large Houston corporation. The corporation pays him from a well covered slush fund.
Speaker 17: I'm working right now. You know, look just you know with the corporation and wat's that.
Speaker 3: How does that work?
Speaker 17: Well, when they're executives are in their business, people are in town, they're sent to our apartment and we entertain them while they're here.
Speaker 3: Okay, what's that entertainment usually involved?
Speaker 5: What do they usually demand or what.
Speaker 16: Do they want?
Speaker 17: Well, it's all kinds of sex and perversions. There's no two like. I've decided that.
Speaker 2: Subsequent to the making of this interview, this boy's mutilated body was found.
Speaker 1: It's closely attached to the major financial, commercial, industrial, educational institutions of our society. It's run by the same people who run those. It's frequented by the same people who occupy management positions in those. It's not the mafia, it's it's an adjunct of clean business. It's serving the most respectable people we have in our society, the people who are the elite.
Speaker 13: A Texas House committee has been charged with looking at the problem. To public hearings later, the committee has been unable to make any serious progress. Its budget was slashed from eighty thousand to fifteen thousand dollars, hardly enough to do an honest pro and the committee chairman admits to knowing of the problem in Houston, but says he's been told to back off.
Speaker 18: When we started this committee, we asked for money to do an adequate investigation to determine just how serious.
Speaker 16: The problem of child pornography, child.
Speaker 18: Prostitution, sexual exploitation is here in Texas, which I think is a proper thing for this committee to do. Now, that was the first indication that we had pressure on it's. The second indication was when I appeared before the House Administration Committee when they chopped our budget, and subsequent conversations with certain members that said we have got to stop our investigation.
Speaker 5: Hey, do they want you to stop?
Speaker 1: I don't know why.
Speaker 5: I have no plan to find out.
Speaker 1: I plan to find out.
Speaker 18: I think it's serious that they were getting this kind of pressure.
Speaker 2: Let's continue you talking about this situation. You have a story here which kind of is good for several aspects of who's involved, what happens to them, and what doesn't happen to them.
Speaker 1: Okay, I'll read a wire's service release which came out of Dallas, and which said at the top, broadcaster's note nature and repeated broadcasters note nature and also said note discretionary material. Here's the copy. A thirty year state Human Resources Department employee has been arrested in Dallas and charges of sexually abusing a child. The Department human Resources officials say fifty five year old Howard Ray Parker was suspended yesterday from his job as medical Services programs director at Statewide. Police say they found two to three hundred pictures of nude boys in Parker's home. Officers say a sixteen year old runaway boy alleged Parker had sex with him while he lived with Parker. A spokesman for the Department of Human Resources in Dallas says the thirty year veteran employee charged on sex offenses has been suspended without pay. It goes on to say that this is routine procedure. Repeats that he's charged with the abuse of a child he picked up on the street as the kid was hitchhiking. Says that the boy alleges that Parker kept him in that apartment of his for a month and that Parker repeatedly attacked him during that time. Police say a search of Parker's house and covered two to three hundred photographs of boys in various states of attire, and many showed them engaging in sex. Now it happens to be the case that those boys were charges of the Department of Human Resources. And here's what happened in the case. Mister Parker went under the care of a psychiatrists. The psychiatrist said that prosecution would be damaging to mister Parker and prevent his recovery. The judge took that into consideration the pre trial hearing and let him go, and the state of Texas paid for his psychiatric care and they returned him to the job. After his rehabilitation, he went back to work. He went back to work.
Speaker 2: What about the kids, Did they do anything to rehabilitate them.
Speaker 1: Whatever they were supposed to be doing in the first place.
Speaker 2: Let's take a look at the children involved and their lives. Robin Lloyd, author For Money or Love, the definitive book on boy prostitution in America.
Speaker 19: I think that it's been described as a national national horror.
Speaker 1: I don't think it's a national horror.
Speaker 2: I think it's a national tragedy.
Speaker 19: I findings are that the boys that get into this, as described in the title of the book, for money or Love, they're not really in it for the money. I think that they're in it for what they perceived to be adult attention or adult affection.
Speaker 1: That's where it becomes a tragedy.
Speaker 19: If you take a twelve year old boy who comes into a strange town, he's broke, he's cold, he doesn't have anything, he's hungry, and then the other street boys will tell him, hey, you know, you've got something you can sell, and he finds he has this marketable commodity I mentioned earlier. So now he goes to the apartment with a strange man.
Speaker 16: They go to bed together.
Speaker 19: The next day he's out on the street and he's looking for now the same kind of protection that same night.
Speaker 5: Their life is sad. It's one hundred percent sad.
Speaker 6: They get up, you know, one or two or three during the day and they go out and they have to earn money, and they're treated bad. They eat only when they're bad by somebody else, and they never get anything for anything. They always have to return sexual favors for it. They sometimes get beaten, they get robbed, they get pushed, you know, the police abuse them.
Speaker 5: Everybody abuses them of the money.
Speaker 7: Job, stay with somebody out paying bad.
Speaker 9: People. So deep.
Speaker 7: Not buy some shoes or some stops, whatever I.
Speaker 2: Need unless you get to get them for trick.
Speaker 16: You have to be able to make some bugs.
Speaker 7: We get more than five dollars, can you some money? But when we need a fair for days of so I.
Speaker 3: Can make money.
Speaker 5: Man, No way you can make money.
Speaker 3: Around these days.
Speaker 7: People want to take them all I can't get you walk away the job.
Speaker 20: Most of the kids don't want to be where they are. They don't want to engage in this lifestyle. And if you give them help, an awful lot of them, a very high percentage of them are quite anxious either to go home or to get a job and go back to school, to live a normal, happy life. They are not into this really rotten thing because they like it. If they stay in it long enough, they develop attitudes that make it very difficult for them to do anything else. If you work here in our center and you do not develop a bad memory.
Speaker 1: You don't work there very long.
Speaker 20: The tragedies, the violence.
Speaker 21: The the the fact that some of the kids that come into us, they're killed because they cannot escape the.
Speaker 20: The exploitation is a very hard thing, is there. Our staff does not really last very long here.
Speaker 7: Who's running.
Speaker 22: You?
Speaker 7: Why they do some keep someone?
Speaker 23: Yeah?
Speaker 5: I understandish.
Speaker 7: Well if they have to have many kids?
Speaker 1: What's what's their where?
Speaker 2: Where it is located?
Speaker 1: In music?
Speaker 5: Reported?
Speaker 7: Now I'm not but.
Speaker 1: I don't kill me if they're running slowly?
Speaker 21: Yeah?
Speaker 5: The figures until angles.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 13: The youth then detailed how boys are procured and then held by the servians.
Speaker 17: Strictly all the boys, all the boys.
Speaker 11: Oh no, these guys you know, like hitchhikers that are hitchhiking and they pick them out.
Speaker 9: Give me the place to stay in intel them.
Speaker 16: You owe us.
Speaker 5: All fairly young?
Speaker 1: Very what's the youngest?
Speaker 13: Wow?
Speaker 7: No, ninety years old?
Speaker 21: Well this is when little kids still but they have all the way up to what eighteen twenty twenty?
Speaker 1: Do they provide y'all with protection?
Speaker 5: Are they protected? Well?
Speaker 6: Vice doesn't touch them, But you don't know why or do you know what?
Speaker 5: I don't know why.
Speaker 1: All I know is vice doesn't touch them.
Speaker 5: Do they teach the kids how to performance? Actually at this place they teach be like, well, you usually did get some good trainer.
Speaker 1: What happens if a kid won't perform, they kind of get down and prettgether.
Speaker 5: No, they just get rid of the well how they keep it quiet?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I sell you what?
Speaker 5: Well did you say that break a finger or two?
Speaker 3: Have they done that.
Speaker 5: Fun of you?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 7: I mean tone it a couple of times some john you know, they didn't pay up.
Speaker 5: One time they came into the room and he's broken.
Speaker 8: Figure boys told her undercover investigator, a former drug rehabilitation counselor and sex therapist, that they are not proud of what they do.
Speaker 16: You don't let home.
Speaker 7: I go home once a wild Your mother know you do that.
Speaker 1: She didn't care.
Speaker 10: She don't like me come around the house too much. It's all kind of fact. If I do that, she'll like to come around.
Speaker 7: Why not? She said? She just don't like for some being pass and stuff like that.
Speaker 5: That was your houseld.
Speaker 6: Yeah, this dude wanted to take some pictures of him four hundred dollars to night.
Speaker 2: You know stuff that.
Speaker 7: This is stupid stuff seven Yeah, why do you say stupid?
Speaker 2: You're doing it?
Speaker 9: Well, hey, you gotta leave.
Speaker 2: I'm ashamed of it.
Speaker 1: You're ashamed of sure?
Speaker 5: What?
Speaker 16: Hey? Man, I wasn't brought up this way.
Speaker 13: What kind of family do you think?
Speaker 9: I had?
Speaker 5: Real nice people?
Speaker 2: I mean, you know it was me that missed their parents.
Speaker 7: Know what you're doing? Oh no, she know.
Speaker 9: I've never let know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, suspect, and I've heard them too many ways already.
Speaker 11: Well, the reason I'm here is, you know when I was thirteen years well, I was ten years old when my mom got remarried.
Speaker 9: And when she did this thing she married, came.
Speaker 11: Into my room and rake me, and they had to take me to the hospital and put three stitches in me.
Speaker 5: When you were ten?
Speaker 11: Yeah, so then what and I'll leave the home when I when I turned thirteen, I just, you know, packed up my bags a truck on what do.
Speaker 5: Your parents think you're doing? What your mother think you're doing?
Speaker 21: That?
Speaker 9: I don't know what they think. I haven't written him a letter since year before last.
Speaker 5: They don't care, you know.
Speaker 13: No, This boy was partially a victim of poverty. On the streets, though you find boys from veried backgrounds. One fifteen year old from a wealthy family and tells of being cast out because he was failing in school. His parents are divorced. Either his father nor his mother wants.
Speaker 3: To care for him.
Speaker 13: He started out as a prostitute when he was twelve.
Speaker 9: You gotta keep using his Yeah, I mean, you know it was a fifteen year old going to get a job.
Speaker 5: Isn't too likely? What do you think about what you do? Pro No?
Speaker 9: I think disgusting before you know.
Speaker 5: Right when through something was disgusting and.
Speaker 1: Sleep.
Speaker 9: The worst I could do is kill me.
Speaker 5: Well that's pretty bad. Yeah, I mean, aren't you worried about that? Don't you value you're living?
Speaker 17: No?
Speaker 5: Right now, I don't know value your life?
Speaker 9: Not really.
Speaker 5: You don't want to stay alive.
Speaker 11: I mean I want to stay alive in all but you know, I find I what I mean, it can't be much for it? I mean, is it that bad out there?
Speaker 5: Don't you? Did you look forward to the day when you get a good job?
Speaker 9: Yeah, that's all I can do is look forward, you know, live each day as it comes.
Speaker 5: So you're really not happier.
Speaker 9: No, I'm much rather be at home.
Speaker 8: You know.
Speaker 2: Well, down in Houston they have streets where they hustle, which you don't find in some other cities.
Speaker 1: Right, that's right?
Speaker 2: What kind of now this is? Apparently these are the entrepreneurs as the DC guy talked about, right.
Speaker 1: These are cold little kids looking for money to buy some food, money to get a room, hope, with some privacy with somebody. If they can't get any privacy to put it in. The blood is terms. At two in the morning, when the bars close, the boys who've had only one customer that night and need more money, or haven't had any customers at all, start bidding against each other for the favors of whatever pederists are patrolling in the street.
Speaker 3: You've actually observed it.
Speaker 1: Yes, Yes, that's at two o'clock. It lasts for about an hour, a little longer, and then some kids are left, and many of them have nowhere to go. They might have what they call a trick pad that they can go to, and I hope they get the twenty five bucks to pay the rent there the next day. I've seen them climb under cars to get shelter and warmth to Yes, at four in the morning on this one night in November when it was cold and the boys had t shirts on that jacket and they didn't have jackets.
Speaker 3: Here mostly destitute where you might say street people.
Speaker 1: Well, they might come from well to do homes, Doug, but when they're gone for a few months, they are now poor. A rough count that I made was that there were four hundred kids in an area of half a square mile is let me finish the story. The police then came and rounded them up in vans, and I heard over police radio that their count was that there were four hundred kids, and they drove them to a suburb of Houston called Pasadena and let them out.
Speaker 2: Why did they do that.
Speaker 1: They did it because if they formally arrested them, they would have had to book them and put them someplace, and they had no room for them. If they had room for them, they couldn't have protected them from other people in the jails. They didn't have the heart to arrest them. Technically, they arrested them by taking them into custody, but they didn't have the heart to do anymore. They wanted to clean up the street because this was the week before the national election in nineteen eight. They had no place to find shelter for them because there were only forty two beds in the whole city, and some of those were questionable as to their safety for the boys, so they took them for a ride and let them out. They didn't have anything else to do.
Speaker 2: Tom Is race a factor here, and if so, in what degree, what extent?
Speaker 1: It's a factor in a surprising way, Frank, We've already mentioned that, maybe not emphatically enough, that these kids are poor. Once they're out on the street. Even if they come from middle class families, they become poor. But overwhelmingly the runaway kids are from poor families, from struggling families. You would assume then that they would be heavily minority kids. This isn't the case. Overwhelmingly the kids who are throwaways, runaways who hit the streets and work in the life, are white. Part of the reason is that the mark among the well to do men four boys is a white market. The men want white kids. They don't want Chicanos. They don't want black kids. They want white kids, fair kids, Nordic looking kids, the ideal type.
Speaker 2: It's what about wealthy black or Chicano males.
Speaker 1: They also tend to prefer white kids. You can find in what's called the farm league, in the parks, on the streets, at the curbs, totally on their own, living hand the mouth, roughing it. You can find minority kids, but they have a hard time they have a hard time getting customers. Mostly they get employed in the dark. Literally, they work in the cubicles in the magazine stores where their customers won't see them. There's an ugly term called glory whole for the kind of thing that happens in the cubicles. I think the name is suggestive enough itself what it means. It means that the customer doesn't have to see the person who's servicing him, and then the person who's getting the service fantasizes that the little boy is blonde and blue eyed and white.
Speaker 2: Also Atlanta them. You were talking in the previous program about this being the situation with the Atlanta kids.
Speaker 1: Well, I think they are indications as I said that the kids there are hustlers. They are hustlers who are out working to help their families. They are not throwaways, they are not runaways. And they are in the farm circuit. They're working out of a park, they're not in the penthouses. They're not in callboy services. Black kids are out there working and they're not getting the best trade. They're getting what it's called rough trade. Men who will pay less and want more and be more likely to inflict violence as part of the price. Another thing I'd like to say here is that, on the basis of what I've learned over the last three years, I have a feeling. It's not a firm conclusion by any means, but it's a strong feeling that there's a second reason why the kids out there caught up in this are primarily white. The first reason is that the rich men want white boys. I think there's a second reason, and that is that poor struggling black families are taking better care of their kids than white families are. They're not pushing them out, The boys aren't running away, They're keeping the contact with home, even if they do have to resort to this for economic reasons. And when the families find out it's happening, they accept the kids and they love them, and they don't punish them, reject them and throw them out.
Speaker 2: What about the kids themselves, what happens to them, assuming they're ones that live, and can they get out of the life, and what happens to them when they do?
Speaker 5: What do they like?
Speaker 1: In the first place? They mostly don't survive. They mostly literally don't live to be twenty years old. As far as I know, the best information I have is that these kids die, they waste away, they kill themselves, somebody kills them, and that's it. And we're talking about over half. Over half of the kids who make their living this way for a period don't survive adolescents. They don't become adults. Those who do have a tremendously difficult time.
Speaker 19: Of course, it does damage. It does tremendous damage to self esteem. You have to grow up with a general business towards us, towards adults where you find with all these strangers now into your life, where you're literally being used to pour it over the mutilated.
Speaker 24: It's not even damage is a quiet word for the mutilation of a child spirit. We cannot take a seven or eight year old and think that seven or eight year old has the same sexual needs and drives and concepts as you were.
Speaker 3: Not.
Speaker 24: We have to realize that children see things differently, use material differently, and have different ways of integrating experience. Children cannot integrate anal sodomy at eight or nine.
Speaker 1: The fact is it's all they know how to do, it's all they're good at. I came to know very well a twenty two year old hustler masquerading as a sixteen year old for whom friends and I were able to find a job, but it wasn't a good enough job for him. He knew the risks. Over the years, he although he was white blonde, he had to do more and more and more for less and less and less, turned more and more tricks a.
Speaker 2: Day as he got older.
Speaker 1: As he got older, one of the things that I know happened to him and the last year was that he had to be subjected to penetration with bottles, and the men played the game of whether or not they'd break the bottle off in him or not and cut him that kind of thing. When he was seventeen, he didn't have to do that, and he got more money. At twenty two, he pretended he was sixteen. The man pretended he was sixteen. He got less money. He had to turn more tricks, but he didn't know what else to do. He felt it was the one thing he was good at. He also admitted to being miserable.
Speaker 3: What are some of the legal problems here? How come we one have won the organization that's exploiting these boys hasn't been uncovered, and two the men who are participating in these crimes again well, take.
Speaker 1: The boy's homes. For instance, in the case in San Antonio, which is still pending, there was an eyewitness who walked into the room of the director of the home in four in the morning because he was sure there would be a little boy in there, and there was a six year old boy in bed with this supposed priest. That eyewitness testimony that a boy was in bed with an old man doesn't do anything in the courtroom. It doesn't prove that there was sex going on. If the little boy testifies, who is going to take the word of a little boy against the word of, say, a real priest.
Speaker 16: And what little boy is going to say that a priest violated violated.
Speaker 1: It's a hard arrest to make. It's hard to get a warrant, it's hard to get an arrest, it's hard to get a conviction, and then it's hard to get a real sentence, very hard. Nobody wants to put anybody away on this kind of charge because the evidence is by its nature.
Speaker 16: Very very shaky, and very controversial as well.
Speaker 12: And that just points to another fast of this problem is that it often it's just preferentially ignored by the courts and by the police and by society because they just don't want to believe it's happening. I remember when we did our reports, we thought it significant enough because the nature of the case involved some autome personnel and citizens that we put it on the front page because I was shocked personally by it. And when we printed these stories, we just were barraged with letters from people saying, basically, I don't want to read this kind of stuff over my morning coffee. You know, even though it happened, even though we document and we'd gone out of our way to make sure that it was all backed up with fact, people just refused to want to not only to believe it, but to even believe that it happens.
Speaker 16: So that's part of the problem.
Speaker 12: Another part of the problem is, of course, we were shocked when we found out the extent and broad nature of this problem of pederascy and what all it involves. But we were truly shocked when we found out, originally initially when we started this year a few years back, that the.
Speaker 16: Police department didn't even know what pederasty was.
Speaker 12: I mean, I ran in I won't say the police department, but I know that I was dealing with one officer and Sex Crimes Division who's no longer in Sex Crimes Division. And I was trying to get through my part for truth and justice and trying to get to the root of the problem. And I said, well, tell me about your case history of pederasty, and he just went blank. He had no idea what I was talking about. Now, to their credit, I will say that the Austin Police Sex Crimes Division has come along with since then. But if the police don't know what it is, then certainly most members of society won't know what it is. So when they see it in the papers and editors don't know what it is, so they're not going to print in the first place. Book Occasionally, when it does go through, society just writes it off as an operation.
Speaker 2: Well, how are the police organize? You mentioned sex Crime Division, but they have sex Crimes is also the vice squad, So what's sex Crimes Division?
Speaker 16: Is a subset of advice.
Speaker 1: You know, it's part of homicide and almost every city it's part of homicide. Advice has to do with pornography, obscenity, prostitution, things involving consenting adults, which may be crimes that they're performed in public or commercially. A sex crime is something that involves a direct violation of the law, or involves things with kids or child pornography.
Speaker 2: Do you have a feel for, say, the budget and the number of personnel and vice squads compared to sex crime divisions.
Speaker 1: No, I really don't, frank There's something I ought to know more about the emphasis of the.
Speaker 2: City the police department places on why I do in Austin at that time Anyway, at that time they had three people in the entire sex crimes division, and they were so overworked with just you know, that's when they choke a rapist was around, what have you, And I mean that's that pretty much exhausts their time.
Speaker 12: And they were concerned about the issue. But they just said, Frankly, we were not staff. We don't have the personnel to do it.
Speaker 1: Rape is a major crime, the incidence is high, Attempted rapists common. It's extremely hard to track down rapist. These guys are working extremely hard, and then we charge them with the duty of cleaning up the streets. And in Austin the streets are clean. Houston they're not. But how can they go behind the walls and find out what's going on indoors. That's extremely hard to do.
Speaker 2: Has there been much investigation by any police or the FDI or judicial system of this phenomenon, or is it that it's a fairly recent phenomenon, or is it just something that they haven't dealt with historically or currently?
Speaker 1: They've been legislative investigations. There was a national investigation a couple of years ago looking toward the goal of national legislation to protect kids. But no, there hasn't been much.
Speaker 13: There are some who would like to tell us that the problem does not exist, But to say Houston is a major center for boy prostitution need is to overstate the case. That is what the Houston police tell us there.
Speaker 25: Again, it's not we don't have as many male prostitutes as we do female prostitutes. But when you start talking about juvenile boys fourteen, fifteen, sixteen years old, two or three cases or too many, and we do have a few of those.
Speaker 1: Well, how would you talking about that a little further?
Speaker 13: How would you define the problem of young boy prostitution in Houston as far as.
Speaker 25: The size of the problem, Well, I'm not going to say it's one of the major problems of our city. Again, we have a certain amount of it in its orientagers to try to keep the lid on it, to keep it from getting any word.
Speaker 8: Listen to Atlanta Police Sex crimes Detective Douglas McCoy, a ten year veteran.
Speaker 2: It is almost at this point, especially at this time of the year, almost an epidemic.
Speaker 8: Yet only a very few young boys are ever arrested.
Speaker 1: In nineteen seventy eight, there were seven so far.
Speaker 13: In nineteen seventy nine, we've had three male prostitution charges.
Speaker 8: The facts are the Atlanta Police Department is understaffed. Vice and sex crime detectives carry a heavy workload. Rapes, for example, are up almost one hundred percent this year. Boy prostitution is near the bottom on the priority list.
Speaker 13: Local police have to change their attitudes towards the boys, thinking of them more as victims than it's criminals. The change in philosophy has worked for the Los Angeles Police Department and serves as an example for other cities.
Speaker 26: When you've got a fifteen year old boy out on the street selling his body, you've got to understand why he's out there.
Speaker 2: It's usually due to a poor home life.
Speaker 26: He's there to obtain the necessities of life, and you've got to look at that boy as a victim. Even though he's out there committing of the crime of prostitution. You still have to look at him as a victim and why he's out there.
Speaker 3: When you do bring them in, what do you do with them?
Speaker 13: You certainly don't just throw them in the county jail somewhere.
Speaker 22: It takes us anywhere from two to six hours to interview.
Speaker 13: You talked to one of these boys for two to six hours when you first get him in.
Speaker 22: Yes, sir, initially they don't have trust in the police department because it's usually they have had contact with uniform police money and a uniform policement of book. If you are runaway and they're sort of leary at the police department, we'll sit down and we'll gain the kid's confidence.
Speaker 7: We'll talk to him.
Speaker 2: We'll tell him if he is involved.
Speaker 22: In anything, that he hasn't it anything having him to do with sex, that he has done nothing wrong at all, and we treat them the best we can. We'll contact with the victims and we keep calling them weeks later, and we'll go out and we'll buy him lunch. And this is weeks later you go out and get together and see how the boys are going to on progressing, and they call us quite a bit.
Speaker 13: Rehabilitation for young boy prostitutes necessitates a change in the way they are handled by penal institutions. In San Francisco, boy prostitutes from around the nation congregate near some of the Plush's hotels, but in San Francisco a boy prostitute who was arrested is given special treatment. Sheriff Richard Hangisto has set up a new program to deal with young boys.
Speaker 23: The heterosexual inmates are very likely to use to rape the younger person or the person they think has had homosexual experiences on the streets. They will take advantage of them by force, and sometimes they will be very very brutal. It's a problem amongst children, juveniles and adults.
Speaker 2: So what has been your answer here?
Speaker 23: We house the gay inmates separately. We don't mix them in with heterosexual population just for that reason, and of course the same thing is true with juveniles.
Speaker 13: As you view this problem and people like this come in off the street, how.
Speaker 2: Do you handle them?
Speaker 23: Well, what we do here is to do what we can to make sure that if there are any psychological problems that they're dealt with, and also to try to aid them with post release help, giving them opportunities as much as we can to find a job, to have a place to stay, and to get back on their feet so that they don't have to sell their bodies to make money.
Speaker 1: Here in Austin, the sex crime unit now is, to my observation, a solid unit doing the best it can. And they have something that's rare in the whole state. They have an officer whose sole job is to counsel the victims of sex crimes. She's an old student of mine and her friend of mine. Her job was funded by the US government. She lost her job in the Reagan budget last month and she had to fight lobby in the city council to get retained as a police officer. They've retained her for a year, but the overall budget was cut in her job, you know, will remain in jeopardy, and it's a vital job.
Speaker 12: I just dad of the problems of investigation and how Tom and I learned.
Speaker 16: About all this.
Speaker 12: We just finally realized that Tom thankfully has carried on an updated.
Speaker 16: Material and kept close look.
Speaker 12: My full participation only lasts for a period of about six months to a year when you were a reporter, when I was a reporter, and myself in another former editor of the Daily Texan, just as soon as we got hooked on it, I mean, as soon as we found out what was going on, we went after it with entire abandon for a good period of three to six months. Almost every day we spent, we forgot our classes, we forgot our work at the newspaper. We just we were determined to get to the root of it. And after six months we had touched the tip of the iceberg. And we realized at that time, spending inordinate amounts of time, money, and energy which we didn't have to spend already, that we needed to be funded by some sort of organization much larger than ourselves and a staff much larger than ourselves to continue it, to find out really what was going on. So I can see how law enforcement agencies, with what little funding they have, particularly during attacks times such as ours, it's hard to do. And as I said, the more we found out, the more questions popped up in a deeper because many things, if it's all right to range around a little bit here, it ought to be said that in academia there's been virtually no contribution.
Speaker 1: I learned about this whole phenomenon as a teacher when a student of mine called my attention to the TV documentary Boys for Sale, which was made in Houston. As embarrassed that I didn't know anything about the subject, mentioned it to sociologists, anthropologists, psychologists, social workers. They didn't know anything about it either. Then I went into the bibliography and found that it was first meager and second heavily oriented towards the defense and explication of the pederist. Like the lawyer's commentary I quoted to you. Is considered a dirty subject and people aren't supposed to go into it. Every semester when I lecture on it, I have students get up and walk out. I used to have complaints made to the department, to the college, to the university, and so on that I was doing pornographic things in the classroom. That's abated, but people still get upset and walk out, maybe not because they are offended, but because they're emiserated by it and they want to get away from it.
Speaker 2: People don't like to look at reality well.
Speaker 1: Especially this stuff is horrible at any rate. If the police department from any major city went over to the major educational institution in its area and asked for a contribution from the faculty, that faculty could contribute practically nothing. Academics have been not necessarily remiss. They have been oblivious to this.
Speaker 2: Can I ask you, unless you it would compromise your information system, how do you go about getting your information?
Speaker 1: Observation, interviewing and interviewing of many kinds, Interviewing kids, interviewing people who are willing to talk, were on the other side of the street, so to speak, and investigators.
Speaker 3: Have you written any books or are you planning any articles or studies on this?
Speaker 1: I'm working on a book and I expect it will not be the last book that I'll write about the subject, and I'll be teaching a course on it in the spring, and as far as I know, it'll be the first one ever taught in an American college.
Speaker 2: Can we talk about the mass media treatment. We've kind of hit on it here and there from what I seem to get the electronic media, particularly a couple of TV stations. I've done most of the work on it, and the newspapers haven't done much. The exception of Mark and get well right with the exception of the Texan.
Speaker 16: Well, it's interesting.
Speaker 12: Throughout all the things that we did, we thought, and perhaps we were in a minority, but we thought it was information that was in the best public interest to know or at least be exposed to.
Speaker 16: Was not touched by any other local media.
Speaker 3: Do you have any explanation for this? Why didn't the Austin American Statesman pick up on it? I really don't know the TV did you ever take it to them?
Speaker 12: But actually I think the Statesman did run one or two. I think they ran the initial story about Anderson the pharmacist being and that's what sparked our interests.
Speaker 3: And of course did you ever talk to the reporter that did that story and see why they didn't pursue there?
Speaker 12: No, I don't think I did. I think we got so wrapped up in what we were doing.
Speaker 2: What about down in Houston? Is there any evidence of pressure to keep the lid on down there?
Speaker 1: Well? When Boyce Versale was shown on TV, it was shown first as a nightly series and then there was a summary program which you'll have excerpts of the biggest bank in Houston with Drewitt's advertising from the show and from the station because showed that program.
Speaker 2: But they didn't. They didn't withdraw it until the.
Speaker 1: Last not the last minute. They kept saying, if you don't kill that program tonight, we're going to withdraw our advertising. And they did, and the bank managed to get the other advertisers for that program to withdraw their advertisings. The Houston Post and the Houston Chronicle. Again, that story I mentioned in the previous program about the bust of this mansion with this incredibly elaborate film studio in it emerges in the Post and the Chronicle as a little place with some cameras.
Speaker 12: Yeah, and the problem is not so much that the incidents are ignored, but there's never any follow up. There's never any investigation. They just take the easy way out. Something happened, boom, it happened next day, it is forgotten. What we need in the media's follow up an investigation on everybody's part so that we won't so that will become sensitized to the issue.
Speaker 3: You had some threats of physical violence also in you were doing this investigation.
Speaker 16: Well, this we were working with some people from Houston.
Speaker 12: I knew a lot more about it than we did, and they, of course counseled us and said, beware, I had my windshield broken in, I mean a brick thrown through my windshield.
Speaker 16: Is I don't know if that was.
Speaker 12: Entirely coincidentally, sincerely doubt is because the timing and nature.
Speaker 2: Well, this may be one very good reason why there hadn't been warning, why there hadn't been a lot of investigative reporting. Now well, in the Houston, the shotgun incident has had some problem.
Speaker 1: Well, the moderator of the show Voice for Sale had a shotgun go through blast go through his window, and then another one go through his uh, then his window of his home, and then another blast go through the windshield of his car as he was approaching the car to get into it. That kind of signal usually sufficient to warn a person off. Any one of us in the country, and there aren't very many of us who have worked intensely on this for a period of years. Has received threats and has been subject to at least feigned attempts, and the idea is that that should scare us off. It has worked with a whole lot of people.
Speaker 2: The day after part one of Boys for Sale was Cable cast. Tom Philpott's van was vandalized, the tires were slashed and the accelerator was jammed to the floor. And then the following week Tom was shot in what appears to have been an assassination attempt. Has anybody been killed? Actually?
Speaker 12: What about the guy that wrote the book? That he got a sunken blast that did wound him? I think pretty seriously, didn't it?
Speaker 3: Well, what then should society do about this? How can this problem be dealt with?
Speaker 1: Well, it's a tall question. Law enforcement has to has to be activated, and it has to be supported and has to be seen through the end of the procedure so that you don't have congressmen pleading not guilty or no contender and getting no penalty. The kids who are rescued in this process have got to be cared for and helped, and no one really knows how to do it, but it's got to be done. A way has got to be found. They've got to be helped, and then, most obviously, we've got to find a way to re establish a society which does not throw up literally a half million kids a year onto the city streets and leave them there to be hurt. American families have to have support. It's good enough to say the families love your children, but they have to have the wherewithal to care for their children, and obviously American families do not. These kids are not minority kids in the main, but they're mainly poor kids. They're from hard driven, hard living families.
Speaker 14: And it's so very, very sad, and it's so sad that we need to respond to them. We people who who've got our stuff together and who think we know a lot about a lot of things. We just need to reach out to those kinds of kids.
Speaker 16: We need to go out there and find them.
Speaker 13: How quickly can a city like Houston move in this area?
Speaker 14: Well, we can move as quickly in this areas we should as we have been in other areas. We can build a billion dollar Houston Center downtown, then we can certainly move quickly to solve human problems and problems of people.
Speaker 1: In fin Are we going to do?
Speaker 2: You see a role for big business in Houston in this plan?
Speaker 21: Yeah?
Speaker 14: One role is money, you know, and a lot can Let's face it, a lot can be done with money. A lot of alternatives can be offered if we have the money to pay for them.
Speaker 1: And there's enough.
Speaker 14: Excess money in ten corporations in this city to do anything we would want to to save every one.
Speaker 2: Of these kids. Jocking as it is, when you put in a perspective, maybe it's really not quite so unexpected considering the history of what the people have been subject to who have been under the control and rule of these people. When you start to think about what's been done to the Indians, the terrible working conditions that people lived in for years and worked under for years, the dangerous condition that pesticides that people are forced to ingest, the lack of safety, and the places where we work, wars where people are slaughtered. There's really a long history of this. And is this the same type of impulse turned focused just on a small boy, or is this something really unique?
Speaker 7: You think.
Speaker 1: That is an easy to answer, frank, because in all honesty, this subject has baffled me from the time I first became aware of it until this day. I can't understand it, and I'm trying very hard, and it's very difficult. As an historian. I know that this society, probably above all in the world in the history of the world, romanticizes childhood, but the historical record child labor, for one thing, indicates the society has not been good to children, has not protected children. In fact, is contemptuous of children, heartless to children. And there's such helpless victims. Who can they go to? What constituency do they have? Nobody? The heartlessness that goes into it is certainly somehow connected with the heartlessness which ground up the Indians, black people, immigrant laborers, poor people in general, which is motivating the cuts and social programs today. Blindness to the actual living reality of people's situations. Yes, it's connected, But this is the It's about the most hair raising thing I think I've encountered in studying the history of my country. The slaughter of the innocence. It's the greatest slaughter of the innocence since Herod. And it goes on and on and on, and when the publicans a hint of it, nothing happens. The case of Price Daniel is instructive there. It came out in the custody hearing of Missus Daniel, who admitted to shooting her husband, that he attacked their son, and there was testimony that he had relations with other adolescents. There wasn't any inquiry as to what that might mean for society. Price Daniel is one of the major names of Texas and all these other names that we've mentioned of people have been caught and let off. There doesn't seem to be any willingness to make the connections which you have implied and face him.
Speaker 2: And it's time we did, right.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Dan, Right, It's time we did. There needs to be police action, There needs to be action in the academy of which I am part to study this. There has to be rehabilitation for kids, and most of all, American families have got to be put on a footing where their children are not in jeopardy of being lost in this way. Whole society has got to answer for this, do something about it.
Speaker 13: If we don't make this move, what do you think the results would be in Houston?
Speaker 14: They'll get worse and worse and worse, and they'll be kids killed in the dead of night and dumped on the highway like they are right now. It'll get worse. It'll never get better. You don't sit back and see something like this. It's history is proven there and just watch it and it gets better. It'll get worse, much worse.
Speaker 1: You're listening to the fact Hunter Radio Network.
Speaker 16: Just the facts, ma'amy