Speaker 1: Thousands of people have mysteriously vanished in America's wilderness. To join us as we dive into the deep end of the unexplainable and try to piece together what happened.
Speaker 2: If you are listening to Locations Unknown, what's up everybody, and welcome back to another episode of Locations Unknown. I'm your co host Joey Rodwen with me as always as a guy who always zipper merges properly. Mike Bandaboguard.
Speaker 3: Oh, thank you Joe, and thank you once again to all of our amazing listeners for tuning in. My voice is almost back, maybe another few weeks. It just sounds like you're hitting puberty a little bit every time. The Ripe Ripe old age. No, but thank you for tuning in and supporting the show. Just a few announcements before we get going.
Speaker 2: If you want to.
Speaker 3: Call the show, you can call two eight three six three. We also have some cool shows on our new and upcoming network, Unknown Media. So Off the Trails, Who runs this Park? Crime, Off the Grid? Relish Patreon, Relish Patreon not Patreon. If you want to support us, you can head over to Patreon, YouTube memberships, premium subscriptions on Apple or head to our store buy some stuff hats and shirts and things like that. And if money's tight, you can always leave a like or a comment or subscribe wherever you listen to us, and that will help us out more than you know.
Speaker 2: I just love how sick and tired you are, not like in a vat like you're just sick and tired. Yes, just like full in it fatherhood. Yes, I'm laughing because I remember the pain. I actually feel pretty good today.
Speaker 3: I just voices sound like it hasn't come back Yetet it's better than the last episode.
Speaker 2: That was fun. Yeah, it was something. Yeah, all right, you all good with your updates? Yes, all right, everybody, let's gear up and get out to explore locations unknown. September twenty twenty five, two experienced elk hunters traveled to the rugged backcountry of southern Colorado for what was supposed to be an eight day hunting trip in the remote South San Juan Wilds. Both men were seasoned outdoorsmen, equipped with modern navigation and communication devices, and familiar with the challenges that come with operating deep in the wilderness. When scheduled check ins suddenly stopped, family members quickly became concerned. A massive search effort involving helicopters, search dogs, drones, horseback teams and hundreds of volunteers was launched across miles of steep mountains, dense timber, and storm battered terrain. For nearly a week, rescuers search for the answers, as worsening weather and lack of clues deep in the mystery. What began as missing persons cases soon captured national attention, leaving many to wonder how two capable hunters could seemingly vanish only a short distance from their vehicles. This week we investigate the disappearance of Andrew Porter and Ian Stasco. So let's talk about this episode brings us to the Rio Grande National Forest and the South San Juan Wilderness in Conejos County, Colorado. I'm sure I said that wrong, and I think I think it's Conijos Conihos County, Colorado. A little bit about the area they were hunting. The area where Andrew Porter and Ian Stasco went missing is high elevation, very rugged section of southern San Juan Mountains in far central Colorado, centered on the Rio Delos Pinos drainage and Trujelio Meadows Reservoir near New Mexico's border, So we'll talk about some interesting facts about the area headwaters of Rio Grande. The one point eight three million acre Rio Grande National Forest exists largely because the eighteen hundred mile Rio Grande River begins high in the San Juan Mountains on the forest's western side, then flows all the way to the Gulf of Mexico, an undiscovered jewel with huge elevation ranges, so the forest is described by the Forest Service as one of the true undiscovered Jewels of Colorado, spanning everything from highday desert Sand Luis Valley floor at about seven thousand, six hundred feet to rugged peaks over fourteen three hundred feet in the Sangre de Cristo Mountains. It is home to the world's largest alpine valleys, so the Rio Grande National Forest wraps around the San Louis Valley, often cited as the world's largest agricultural alpine valley and one of the world's largest high deserts. Flat farm and ranch country ringed by mountains. The South San Juan Wilderness, about one hundred and fifty eight thousand acres, is built from ancient volcanic carved by glaciers into steep volcanics and carved by glaciers into steep slopes above broad u shaped valleys with high peaks, cliffs, jagged pinnacles, and ragged ridges that make travel legitimately difficult. Sounds like a great place to go hiking. Yeah, it does, sounds super difficult. But I've never gone that far south in Colorado. No, I've never been to that corner of Colorado. Yeah. A famous grizzly, often cited as a last known Colorado grizzly, was killed in the South San Juan Wilderness in nineteen seventy nine, and if any grizzlies still survived in Colorado afterwards, biologists long pointed to this area's recess as the most likely refuge. So I didn't answer the question, Could there still be grizzlies in Colorado in that area? Sounds like maybe? Sounds like maybe. President Theodore Roosevelt established the Rio Grande National Force by proclamation in nineteen oh eight, and decades later, Congress formerly designated the South San Juan as Wilderness in the Colorado Wilderness Act of nineteen eighty, part of a broader push that also protected the nearby Wheeler geologic area. So a little bit about the climate. This part of the southern San Juan Mountains has a high mountain semi arid climate, lots of sun overall, but with frequent convective storms during the warm season and long, cold, snowy winters at elevation. The broader San Juan region is known for loads of sunny days and relatively mild, dry air, but the high peaks in a wilderness yilind seem much cooler temperatures and significantly more precipitation than lower surrounding valleys. Midwinter is typically the wettest time of year in the high mountains, with deep snowpacks coming along the divide in in headwater basins. Early September in the high San Juans is often described by local hikers and backpackers as one of the most comfortable times of the year. Daytimes high daytime highs commonly run in the sixties to low seventies at mid elevations, with nights in the thirties and forties depending on the exact elevation and weatherfronts. That actually is like perfect hiking weather at ten thousand feet and above, where Andrew and Ian were hunting. Those same patterns translate to cool days and cold nights, with typical overnight lows in the thirties and occasional dips into the twenties. When storms are cold, air masses move through. Community reports from people who regularly backpack in the San Juans in late August and early September note that you can see frosty mornings, a few nights near freezing, and even a couple of inches of early snow that melts quickly once the sun is up. Even during this good weather shoulder season, afternoons and evening thunderstorms remain a key feature of the climate. May we got that wrong. It should have Beddle since my cousin was listening to the show and he's like text me, he's likestraddle Seasons Forecasters and local guides warned that the San Juan high Country routinely sees showers and thunderstorms building most days, with higher chances earlier in the monsoon, which is July to August, and still significant but somewhat lower frequency into early September. The National Weather Services own forecasts for the southwest and eastern San Juan Mountains above ten thousand feet routinely shows patterns like mostly sunny than a chance of showers and thunderstorms in the afternoon, and showers with a chance of thunderstorms on many days, underscoring how embedded convective activity is in the seasonal pattern. Those storms often bring lightning, its brief but intense downpours, gusty winds, rapid temptre drops, especially near the Continental Divide. User reports emphasize that there is a thirty percent chance of rain, it will rain, and even in early September, lightning and wet snow and high peaks are very possible. So this is exactly the kind of pattern that was reported in the days Andrew and Ian were in the field, Bad cold storms and fog rolled through with lightning and deteriorating conditions that concern both family and rescuers. Because temperature generally drops with elevation, high basins and ridgelines above ten thousand feet in the region experienced significantly colder nights than nearby valley towns, even when the valley forecasts look mild, Clear dry air can produce strong radiational cooling after sunset, leading to frosty mornings and thin ice on puddles. Even when daytime temperatures feel comfortable, When storms move in, wind, chill and wet clothing quickly increase the risk of hypothermia or cold stress for anyone caught far from shelter. So that's just the weather. Now, let's talk about the terrain. The terrain where Andrew Porter and Dan went hunting is classic high San Juan Wilderness, steep glaciated mountains above Timberline Valley cut by the Rio delos Pinos and its tributaries near the Colorado New Mexico border. The area sits in the South San Juan Wilderness, an adjacent Rio Grande National Force in Conejos County, part of the Southern Rocky Mountain Ecosystem or Ecoregion. Elevations run from roughly eight thousand feet in the lower river valleys up to thirteen thousand feet on surrounding peaks and ridges, with steep slopes dropping into broad u shaped glacial valleys that are then insized more deeply by modern streams. So the Rio delos Pinos itself rises high into the wilderness near the continental Divide, then drops thousands of feet towards its confluence with the Conejos River, crossing the Colorado New Mexico line more than once. Gay Management Unit eighty one and the adjoining valley supports strong populations of elk, mule, deer, black bear, and other large mammals. The real de Los Pinos Valley itself is described as prime el cabitat, with resonant HER's using the river corridor and surrounding slopes, so it's like the best spot to go out hunting. So yeah, for bow hunters, that's really hard to do. I'll hunt with bo. The country offers a mix of thick cover, open meadows, and broken ridge lines that let annals move between feeding areas betting, timber, and water, but visibility can be limited and the terrain quickly becomes complex once you leave established trails. So, Mike, why don't you tell us a little bit about Andrew to start?
Speaker 3: Sure, So I'll try to go through character profiles for both pretty quickly here so we can get the timeline. So first character is Andrew Porter. He was twenty five at the time of his disappearance. He had last contact on September eleventh of twenty twenty five, and he was reported missing around September twelfth, or thirteenth of twenty twenty five. He was a male age twenty five. He was about six feet tall, very physically fit. Wait was not publicly mentioned, but he had light brown blonde hair. No detail about what eye color he had or any other distinguishing marks, clothing, and gear. Last scene in so he was bow hunting elk in early archery season and was reported as carrying an archery gear, bow arrows, knives, game bags, light hunting clothing, and a garment inReach device. He and Ian were not carrying firearms and their vehicle was back at the trailhead. It still contained other gear that they brought with Medical issues for Andrew, there was nothing reported, no chronic conditions or anything that would have been a hindrance in him piking out in the wilderness occupation. He was living in Asheville, North Carolina, and he was described by a lot of people as passionate bowhunter, outdoorsman, backcountry enthusiast, and just pretty much all about being out in the wilderness and hiking and backpacking experience in the wilderness. Multiple people described him as a very experienced outdoorsman, experienced hunter. He was familiar with multi day backcountry trips and modern tools like satellite messengers. He was also very comfortable navigating rugged high elevation train, camping off a trailhead for extended archery hunts, and coordinating with SAR appropriate gear like in reach for check ins and local sharing. So it seems like pretty knowledgeable Joe might be pulling up some pictures so experience at this location. So Andrew was a non resident hunter in Colorado. So, like I said, he's from North Carolina and he came to hunting the GMU eighty one, which Joe had briefly talked about earlier. While this wasn't his home area, he was prepared with mapped trailheads, he had the satellite device, and he had planned an eight trip into the South San Juan Wilderness, So he was prepared seconds.
Speaker 2: And they seemed like they knew what they were doing. They had all the right equipment to do it. Yeah, there's people that do successfully about half the stuff that they came in there with.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, so I mean much more prepared than a lot of the people we discuss on the show. Subject two of tonight was Ian Stasco, and he was also twenty five at the time of his disappearance same, you know, last contact and reported missing because he was hunting with Andrews. So a lot of this stuff is going to be kind of the same for both of them. Body description again very similar, six feet, weight wasn't described. He had blonde hair. Again reported very kind of fit and athletic. He was again experience with the outdoors, a strong backcountry hunter. He didn't have any distinctive tattoos or scars or anything. Geary was last scenon very similar to Andrew. They're bow hunting elk between the two of them. They had that garment in reach device. Looks like we got some pictures of them right here. Yeah, I mean they're pretty much very similar, same age, same height. Nothing jumps out at me. They look just standard year old guys that that would hunt in Colorado.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yes, if you're imagining getting your head, you're correct. Yeah, you think about it. You gotta be pretty physically fit if you're hunting elk with a bow at elevation.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, just hauling the meat out of backpacks. If you don't have like livestock to help you, it's just a ton of work just getting there.
Speaker 3: You got a hike, maybe a day or two just to get to your spot. Yeah, so it's not something just Grandpa I can do.
Speaker 2: Though, You're gonna have an angry grandpa call and it's like, all right, I'll cut the sand moms all the time. Like we weren't talking about you, We're we're generalizing most grandpas. Yes, most grampa's could do it.
Speaker 3: So personality wise, so Ian described him as again dedicated outdoorsmen and hunter who deeply loved the mountains in backcountry. I mean, you're gonna find a lot of similarities between the two of them. If they're willing to go into the back country to hunt elk with a bow and arrow, they probably have very similar passions with hiking and going outdoors. And Yep, again no chronic medical or physical limitations that would have caused the disappearance occupation hobby. So Ian was actually living in Salt Lake City at the time, and he's framed in reporting is passionate about el counting, back country travel, wilderness adventure, and articles about his disappearance very similar to Andrew. They'd rather be doing elk hunting or hiking or backpacking than pretty much anything else. Sure sounds pretty awesome. So I'm just gonna jump right into timeline here. Yes, our story starts. It's early September twenty twenty five. Andrew Porter and Ian Stasco converge on southern Colorado for an eight day el hunt. Like I said earlier, they're both physically fit, they have all the gear. They've done it before. Their target was Game Management Unit eighty one. Joe briefly described this. It's a rugged swath of country stretching from the Continental Divide eastward to the Rio Grande and south to the state line. He has steep ridges, deep drainages, heavy timber, and it's a pretty rugged place. Joe's looks like he's pulling up pictures or Google Maps.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm live right now. I mean, yep, middle of nowhere. That's desolate. It's very desolate. And you can see kind of this horseshoe ridge that they always talk about the like just catches weather.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it looks pretty nasty, but also be cool to hike.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, I'll see if there's any Google street View images from literally anywhere. It doesn't look like it. No, yep, Oh, here's one on the ridge. Oh, here we go. We can look down upon see that it does this all the time, like goes to a different spot sometimes weird. All right, you can keep going. I'll try and get this door. I want to see if this works. Yeah, that's weird. Maybe they because usually those are private photos. Yeah, they could have made them private. I'll try and get at least one in the area so we can get an idea of what we're looking at. What is going on here? All right? You keep going, I'm gonna figure out what's going on.
Speaker 3: So they drive to the Rio Delos Patos trailhead in Canaos.
Speaker 2: Did I get there wrong?
Speaker 3: I just Rio Delo's Pinos Cananos.
Speaker 2: Now you know how I feel. You do this to me all the time.
Speaker 1: I know.
Speaker 2: That's awesome.
Speaker 3: So Canos Canaos County, and they use their garment and Reach satellite device so they can check in regularly with loved ones from out in the back country with no cell service. Before they leave. Andrew and his fiance Bridget Murphy agree he will send routine check ins roughly every twenty four hours so family can track the hunts progress. Now a little excessive, don't you think every twenty four hours?
Speaker 2: Yeah? I mean, if you have an inReach device, you just send text.
Speaker 3: I know, but I mean we used to hike all the time off grid in like with no lessons of communications.
Speaker 2: That's and that's why we didn't check in. Yeah, but I mean it's kind of nice that you don't have Oh, I get what you're saying.
Speaker 3: I mean, obviously you want the device so if something happens, you can contact the authorities. But if I'm like out in the back country, I don't want to be checking in every twenty four hours.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Well maybe you wouldn't care as much if you went all the time. I guess it sounds like they go all the time, so it's like just a Tuesday. Yeah.
Speaker 3: For us, it's like we never get away. Yeah, so let's get away. Yeah, I want to off the grid for a week. I'm not talking to anyone.
Speaker 2: Look at this. I finally got it to work. That's beautiful. Yeah, it's a little less rugged than I would have thought. Yeah, Like the way it described this area, it seemed way more aggressive. I would think. I would have thought the Rackies would have been a little more racky at John Denver's full of it.
Speaker 3: That's kind of how I'm feeling a little bit, like they made it seem like it was super steep in the descriptions.
Speaker 2: But yeah, okay, I mean it looks I mean you're in the middle of nowhere. So I mean that Google Earth never looks as rugged. That's true. That's true. Oh that one didn't work this time. This is the basin that they would have been around. Okay, so yeah, this is probably amazing. L hunting hard with a bow. If you'd a rifle, you could prop up right up here and like shoot right down in the valley. Yeah, this is beautiful. I mean that looks pretty far. We have to have like a bear it. Oh yeah, there's some you should watch Alkiny video.
Speaker 3: There's some dudes that shoot across like this and it's like they got to aim like four inches up.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and it like takes a few seconds. So this is beautiful. What time of here is this picture? June twenty twenty three. I would have thought, like January. I know, it looks like it's still like not spring yet. Yeah, but okay, that's just probably how dry and hot it gets. Yeah, my desert.
Speaker 3: Okay, where was I So, like I said, before they leave, Andrew agreed to check in every twenty four hours with his fiance through the inReach device. And that's fine. If I'm going backcountry hiking, I'll make the agreement. If something happens, I'll message you, But otherwise I'm I'm going off grid.
Speaker 2: Yep.
Speaker 3: It's now September seventh to the tenth of twenty twenty five. GPS data later assembled by investigators shows Andrew and Ian's trip unfolding in a fairly methodical pattern. They spend a night at or near the Rio de Los Pinos trailhead, then move on foot to a backcountry campsite roughly two miles north, where they remain for several days while hunting nearby drainages and ridges. During this time, Andrew has been using his inReach device to send brief positional updates and messages back home, reassuring family that the hunt is underway as planned. But things don't go as planned because weather in the high country is very unstable. By mid September, storms and fog are moving through the San Juan backcountry, dropping temperatures and bringing heavy rain to the mountains. The men continue hunting despite the changing conditions, relying on their experience and the garment to stay linked to home.
Speaker 2: So this is two miles like give or take Yeah, so they would have went and that's the start of the trail head, so they would have ended up kind of right where we were looking at. Yeah, so I'm gonna get a train and get a better view of that went through the Yeah, this is actually kind of perfect right here, if we can pull that up again, because it went from down in the trail head directly north two miles. They would have been right on top of this. Okay, So they went from down here up there and.
Speaker 3: Now in this picture that doesn't look that hard, but that's probably like seven hundred feet.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's a lot elevation. Those are full sized trees. Yeah, and like not tiny ones, No, those are the big ones. Like, yeah, and they look like nothing. Yeah, maybe not seven.
Speaker 3: Hundred feet a couple hundred feet, Yeah, don't get it wrong, don't eyeball that wrong.
Speaker 2: Probably has an elevation filter. Well, I'm going to try and get it on all trails, but like it's so remote, it's all trails, like, yeah, no one does this.
Speaker 3: Yeah, all right, it's now Thursday, September eleventh, twenty twenty five. This would be the final electronic contact. So Andrew keeps up his pattern of periodic updates through the morning and into early afternoon, he sends short messages and location pings to Bridget, which is his fiancee and his family from the in reach device, and about mid afternoon reported as roughly two forty five to three in the afternoon, he shares his location again. The last confirmed ping originates near Ian's car at the trailhead. That afternoon position puts them back at the vehicle, and later investigators infer that they likely return to the car to change out wet clothing before heading back out to hunt. So sometime after that midafter afternoon ping on the eleventh, the garment falls silent, so there were no further satellite messages or location updates, and neither of the hunter's calls or texts via cell phone. And unfortunately, that evening severe weather moved in across the entire area, and it was described by other hikers in the areas bad cold storms and fog and terrible weekend conditions with lightning and dropping temperatures. So weather really went south quite quickly, and loved ones at home do not yet know that this September eleventh checking will be the last confirmed contact because he was doing it about it once every twenty four hours.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, this here's the trail and no data on it. Okay, so I'm gonna see if they can get contour top. Oh, there we go. So this is ten thousand feet along this ridge line and then it went all the way up to eleven three hundred so okay, so that's more deceiving than yeah, thirteen to four up here, you know, fourteen hundred feet thirteen or fourteen hundred feet, and it could even be more than that, Like if they started down the trail looks like it goes here a little lower than ten thousand, six hundred feet. Yeah, and if they went straight north, yeah, they're going up to eleven hundred and thirty thirty or eleven three hundred nineteen feet, so over one thousand feet. Yeah, that is deceiving. Yeah, because that looked like, let's go back in it. So that is eleven hundred feet of elevation gain. Yeah, just this little I guess. Yeah, it's just really long. It's not as super aggressive, that's why. But yeah, if you're starting down in this dep I guess, yeah, and then working your way up through the forest, then in this open this screen field would be obnoxious. Yeah, like I'm just like, oh man, I don't know that you could go up it.
Speaker 3: Well they did, well, they may have gone around. I mean, how would you there's a point where you're not gonna be able to get up that.
Speaker 2: I don't know they did it. Maybe it's not super bad screen. It looks pretty steep, it does it? Does? I mean, what's the alternative? You gotta go all the like, how all the way on the road where those trees are over there and go up the ridge? Yeah? Maybe right?
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, maybe? Yeah, Okay, I mean that's what I would do. I wouldn't try going up the screen just straight. I would I don't think I'm like as the crow flies flies, You're there for like five hours, just like treading, like walking up an escalator that's going down. Yeah, that would happen to me. And then you just get up to the top of like you idiot.
Speaker 2: Yeah all right, okay, let's get out.
Speaker 3: Yeah, let's move on here. I I've had so many diversions tonight, I know, Okay. It's now Friday, September twelfth of twenty twenty five. Andrewnian have predetermined checking protocol with their families, and when that schedule is broken concerns starts mounting quickly, so by the evening of Friday, September twelve, family members contact the Coneos County Sheriff's Office and Coloro Parks and wild Life Game Warden to report that they've missed their check ins and have been out of contact since Thursday's ping. And at this point law enforcement treats this situation cautiously. It is really not uncommon for backcountry hikers to be reported overdue due to a miscommunication or some kind of minor delay out in the back country, and the hope is that the hunters are simply out of range or focused on a final push for their all cuts over. So law enforcement wasn't super quick to jump on it and just start an all out search because obviously around there they probably deal with this a lot. Hunters might just stay out an extra day or whatever. Yeah, if it didn't raise any alarm, I would. I'm automatically kind of thinking that maybe that just is normal. Yeah, Okay, So it's Saturday, September thirteenth of twenty twenty five. Deputies from the Canaos County Sheriff's Office drive to the trailhead to check for the hunter's vehicle. They find it parked at or near the trailhead. It was locked, with no sign of Andrew or Ean nearby. Inside the vehicle, deputies discover camping gear, large backpacks, and other supplies that would normally accompany an extended stay in the back country. The presence of significant gear and packs in the car, combined with all of the recent really heavy rain and storms they had triggered more serious concern with law enforcement and they're worrying out was if they're still out in the field, they may be out there with limited equipment and very deteriorating weathers. So I think now law enforcements kind of like this has turned into a serious situation. We need to need to mobilize and get people out in the fields to start looking for them. So by this time, the Sheriff's office decides to, like I said, initiate a full search and rescue mission. Search operations are immediately put in the place, quickly scaling into what officials described as a man massive search, involving air operations, Malti County and state ground teams, dog teams, drone teams, ATVs, and local volunteers. So it really is a massive search, a search base is established ad Or near the Rio de los Pinos trailhead, which becomes the operational hub for both official Star resources and the civilian volunteers.
Speaker 2: This the geological survey actually shows where the trail goes. Okay, so the one we were looking at was right here where ended. The geological survey shows it does kind of go right.
Speaker 3: Up the middle. Oh really, yeah, look at that. It's actually too there's flattop trail. That image we were looking at was like right up on this rim like here.
Speaker 2: Okay, might be a little further downward, so you're not or yeah, I think if you look at that where the other ridge was right here, I think you were correct. Though.
Speaker 3: There's like more trees that way, so maybe it's a little less aggressive, and that's why you go up.
Speaker 2: That's where it hooks and comes back around.
Speaker 3: Because that looks like off in the distance the trees we were looking at right here. Yeah, because if we were on the other ridge in that picture.
Speaker 2: Here, yeah, so we're on this ridge. Yeah, so it kind of goes oh right here, look at this yeah boom, So that's how they got up there. Yep. Yeah, you can kind of see that, okay, And then they said there's a backcountry camping spot, which means it's probably not marked.
Speaker 3: Yeah, because I mean that's they just find. You're so in the middle of no where, you just find the space that's good down there, though you can see that's where.
Speaker 2: It doesn't show on all trails until you go into the geological survey. But yeah, look at so it's and this is the type of stuff they would have had in their garment. Yeah.
Speaker 3: Okay, yeah you think I mean we forget this. I mean this last year. Yeah, this wasn't like thirty years ago. Like, yeah, they had a watch, would have it loaded. Yeah, like if they have a garment in reach device, that's I'm curious what I've said garment in reach so many times.
Speaker 2: I kind of want to look to see what it actually looks like. We looked at those, because that's the one that's I'm going to write. You can text message directly from it. Okay, there it is. It's a satellite.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I use a satellite, but I thought you could text the guy who did the sal Yeah, so you can text message on this.
Speaker 2: He can't make phone calls, and it does it through satellite. Does it have navigation? Yeah, it's a normal GPS device, but you can text from everyone that and I think I'm going off memory could be wrong. But the guy who is the first guy to do like the north pole in the South pole, Yeah, he like had that and he was like messaging. He had like he would message and that's how he would post to social media. He would send someone a text message, whould then post what he said? Yeah, And I was like, oh, that's really cool that we're texting via GPS devices.
Speaker 3: Now now I can send satellite text on my phone, so you don't even need a garment.
Speaker 2: Boom boom boom.
Speaker 3: Though that's a lot cheaper, yeah than an iPhone. Mm hmm, So that's cool.
Speaker 2: Garment in Reach. I feel like I've said at thirty times this episode, I know they need to sponsorship sponsor us, Come on, Garment. I just I just got their m K three for diving and it was fabulous. Two thumbs up from Joe two thumbs up. Ah, right, where was I Actually that would be a good sponsor for like not getting lost with Garman. Yeah, somebody ought to write a letter to Garman. Yeah, somebody, anybody.
Speaker 3: Listen to listen to Locations unknown and yeah, use a Garment, and we guarantee you won't get lost. To start another LLC to put all the liability on that. It's like, and who's guaranteeing it. This other corporation, Garmen will guarantee or sponsorshos around them.
Speaker 2: That would actually be a cool campaign. Like if you use our device correctly, yeah, and still get lost, then the first day of the campaign someone gets lost and they rescue them, it's like a billion dollars. Yeah, all right, continue more sidetrack, Yes, Garmen, we're waiting. Yeah, anyone who's listening that works at Garment, come on, you need it, you're gonna be Yeah, you clearly aren't selling enough devices.
Speaker 3: Yeah, with iPhones and androids now being able to do the same thing, time might be numbered.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but unless you got two guys like USh Is hocking your stuff, they're definitely not calling. All right, continue, Okay.
Speaker 3: It is Sunday to Tuesday, September fourteenth to the sixteenth of twenty twenty five, so massive search efforts building At this point. It grows into a multi agency operations spanning difficult high elevation country. Teams from Colorado, New Mexico join local responders Colorado Parks and Wildlife, New Mexico State Search and Rescue, County Star teams, and volunteer groups all are converging.
Speaker 2: On Unit eighty one.
Speaker 3: They also had special assets deployed, so they had tracking dogs, drones, aircrafts.
Speaker 2: They had a Flight for Life helicopter.
Speaker 3: And they had a privately contracted black Hawk helicopter that was later brought in to help assist with the search. They also had searchers on horseback and on foot. I think it'd be fun to be a horseback searcher, yeah, I mean not as hard as the ones on foot yep, because you're literally just riding a horse around.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Sounds kind of fun. Yeah, just like everyone has to walk around. That gives you sneers and stuff.
Speaker 2: I got the.
Speaker 3: Horse searchers on horseback and on foot. They were canvassing draines, ridgelines, timbered areas. Volunteers are worn to expect long delays and challenging train including extensive deadfall and off travel or off trail travel. Social media posts and calls for help circulate wildly. One volunteer message explains that those joining should be prepared for eight plus mile off trail hike through rough country to thoroughly canvas the valley where the hunters were last known to be, and during this window, family and friends launched a GoFundMe campaign titled Help Find Andrew Porter and Ian Stasco to support the search and help cover travel and logistics. Within a short time, the fundraiser raised almost eighty thousand.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's currently sitting at seventy eight thousand, six hundred and sixty six not bad, eight hundred and eighty two donations, So.
Speaker 3: Yeah, people really came out to help support the search. The family even offered a ten thousand dollars reward for any information on what happened. It's now Wednesday, September seventeenth of twenty twenty five, so Andrew and Ian are still missing it this time, but search leaders and the family receive a crucial piece of information. A report from other hunters confirmed that they saw the pair on Friday morning at the Spruce Whole trailhead. So, I don't know, you a chance look up Spruce Whole Trailhead and see where that is.
Speaker 2: In relation to the other one.
Speaker 3: The rio ed a d los Pinos, so the men reportedly talk with this party about a big bull.
Speaker 2: They had seen and say they are.
Speaker 3: Heading back out to look for it with the car president and the spruce hole at that time. Sometime after that Friday morning sighting, the vehicles moved back to the other trailhead, where deputies later find it. So this sighting gives the family a little bit of hope. They thought they were lost the day before, and now this just says that they were alive at least another day that the family didn't know about. So there's hope that maybe they're still out there. One more night, one more morning. Sometimes it just hope is enough. They need to help those searchers and the family keep going. So now the search corridor is adjusted the prioritize the area between the Rio DALs Pinos and the Spruce Whole trailheads, including all the intervening drainages, ridgelines and timber areas.
Speaker 2: Having trouble finding it. Yeah, usually you can just enter coordinates into Google Maps and we'll just go there. So it is real. It is real. It's just so underutilized that nobody has anything on it. Yeah, like it doesn't. Oh, here we go. This is the closest I can get. Okay, So there's brad Lake Town McIntyre Peak. So it looks like a pretty lot of elevation gain. Yeah, sure, not very long. It's not very long, Okay, all right, I'll keep trying to find on Google Maps.
Speaker 3: So, like I said, they've adjusted the search corridor with this new information request go out for more resources, additional star teams, more teams, more horse teams, more four wheelers, more drones. So by this point there are more than fifty organized search teams in the field and according to later tallies, over one hundred and seventy personnel have been involved and drawn from multiple counties and states, So very massive search operation. And for those watching the video in a very remote and rugged environment, that's a lot of people to have out there, and family and the fiances post updates thanking volunteers and emphasizing that the hunters are savvy, resourceful and doing everything they can to survive, while pleading with the public not to let the search effort dwindle. However, on Thursday, September eighteenth, the search enters its sixth operational day. Early that morning, Bridget posts that searchers are ready to work as hard as possible to find Andrew and Ian as more teams deploy into the field around mid morning, though one of the ground teams supports a discovery that will end the search and shift the focus to a recovery and an investigation.
Speaker 2: Now, did you know what happened with this case? I did until I accidentally saw it recently when I was searching. Okay, So no, all right?
Speaker 3: So, at approximately eleven to eleven fifteen, a search team locates the bodies of two men under a tree in remote terrain, roughly two miles above the Rio delos Pinos trailhead in the South San Juan Wilderness. The Coneos County Sheriff's Office issues a press release stating that two unidentified males have been recovered about two miles from the trailhead following an extensive operation, and that the investigation is ongoing with no further details penning. With no further details penning identification and notification of next of kin. The privately contracted Blackhawk helicopter assists in the transporting of the Sheriff under Sheriff and the Colorado Search and Rescue Associate Association Coordinator part way to the scene to examine and recover the bodies. Unseen examination reveals no obvious signs of trauma on either man. They are found close together beneath a tree, with no immediate evidence of foul play. The bodies are recovered and flown are transported out of the backcountry whilst our operations began to demobilize.
Speaker 2: I would have been able to guess what it was.
Speaker 3: You, Oh, even if you didn't know. Well, let's yeah, the tree is the key. The tree is the key, but it's not what you think it is.
Speaker 2: Okay. So they were roughly from this image. So here's the trail. You might technically not be able to see it from here, but here's this lake right here. Okay, So they were past that along probably like where this tree line is.
Speaker 3: Okay, that's where they were roughly. When what's the elevation there? Eleven thousand and four.
Speaker 2: We're pretty good up there, four hundred ish. All right. Man, that's just remote and desolate. Yeah, I mean, look at how barren it is. You look around. That's June. Yeah. Props to Lilian Chan for taking these pictures. Are they the same person? Yeah, it's like these three on these ridge lines, Like she must have hiked over there. Wow, because they went up the trail heads around here and it kind of winds up through here and then it goes into this area. So if you go out here, see how it goes Yeah, okay, yeah, this isn't facing exactly north, but the other one is. No, this one's off. That's why it looks weird. Yeah, there we go. Yeah, it lines up a little bit better. I don't think this one still is perfect, but you can kind of see exactly. Okay, there we go. Yeah, how that shape lines up? Yeah, so they were just past that pond, like because two miles from the trailhead was towards the top. Yeah, as the crow flies, so maybe maybe it was a little south of there potentially, So they were in that general area. Yeah, Okay, when you're looking at from her photo towards that lake, they were like they were in here somewhere. Yeah. This this circle I'm making now covers the entire area, so they were within this frame. Okay. Interesting.
Speaker 3: Yep, Like we said, the bodies are still not identified at this point, no signs of trauma or foul play. Initially, it's Thursday afternoon evening, September eighteenth, of twenty twenty five. Although the Sheriff's office initially refers to the remains as unidentified. Word reaches the family and the public quickly. That afternoon, Andrew's aunt posts an update on the go fundme page that she has been using to coordinate support.
Speaker 2: She writes, it is.
Speaker 3: With broken heart and through tears that I give you this update. Andrew Porter and Ian Stasco have both been found ceased. Their bodies were discovered earlier today by Colorado Search and Rescue. I will provide another update tomorrow. Please keep Andrews and Ian's families in your thoughts and prayers. Local emergency management news out outlets of North Carolina and Colorado confirm that the recovered bodies are those of Andrew and Ian. Suwach County Search and Rescue also posts that the men have been found de ceased and that their role in the search has concluded. That evening and into the next day, the focus shifts from missing hunters to trying to understand, or, as Joe usually says, piece together, Yeah, piece it together.
Speaker 2: What it's a puzzle? Yeah?
Speaker 3: What happened to the experienced outdoorsman in a place not very far from their vehicle. It's now Friday, September nineteenth of twenty twenty five. The Canaos County Coroner Richard Martin confirms publicly that the bodies are those of Andrew Porter and Ian Stasco. He reports that there are no obvious injuries or and no initial signs of faul play, emphasizing that if there had been clear evidence of violence, investigators would still be at the scene processing it. Autopsies were scheduled for Monday at the Elpaso County Coroner's Office, and the official cause of death remains undetermined penning those examinations. But obviously, if you didn't know what happened, the lack of visible trauma would seem weird, and for the Internet, it fueled speculation. Many observers focus on the area's brutal weather over the preceding week. Others raise theories about hypothermia, a fall, acute medical emergencies. However, search and rescue personnel and county officials limit public statements to the facts, and they just basically say the men were found together about two miles from their car and showed no obvious injuries and there are no early indications of foul play. So it is Monday, September twenty seconds. Authorities and family receive a clear answer. Finally, after the autopsies are conducted, corner Richard Martin confirms that both Andrew Porter and Ian Stasco were killed by lightning.
Speaker 2: See that's where like that you never go under a tree. Well, we'll get into it was not. It wasn't going under the tree. It wasn't a direct hit. That's why I assume it went through the ground. Yeah, from a different tree, from a different tree. Oh for the root system. No, just so at the end to that tree that it did well.
Speaker 3: So I I because there's no at this that we just like kind of gave it away.
Speaker 2: No, I mean we're okay there.
Speaker 3: I mean the part of the timeline where I tell the audience they were struck by lightning, okay, But because we don't have theories in this one, I went into a little of the science behind why they were killed by a lightning strike that didn't strike them. And growing up in Wisconsin, I've heard stories like I'm sure you have two where like you know what cows, like a herd of cows will do in a thunderstorm.
Speaker 2: Is they'll like all grouped together.
Speaker 3: Under a tree and lightning might strike in the field and it'll kill the entire herd, like the whole hurdle get wiped out. And it's because of this phenomenon that I'm I'll talk about in the theories section of why if lightning didn't actually strike them, did they die from it? And I was actually kind of shocked that this. Yeah, wow, this type of lightning strike actually kills more people than direct lightning strikes.
Speaker 2: Oh that's terrifying. Yeah, I'm like on pins and needles. Yeah, let's go, let's go.
Speaker 3: Okay, So, like I said, the autopsies were performed, it was lightning. I'm sure a lot of you were leaning that way listening to what happened. He explained some multiples that the men were now directly struck. Instead, lightning hit a nearby tree, and the electrical charge traveled down through the trunk, into the ground, and into both men where they stood beneath or near the tree. The bodies show only slight scattered burn marks, described as if you take a match and stick it on your arm, with only a few small burns on each body, consistent with a powerful electrical jolt that stopped their hearts and brains instantly, rather than a direct lightning hit that would have caused extensive burns.
Speaker 2: That actually makes me feel better. Yeah, sometimes you can survive those and you die like in pain.
Speaker 3: Well, so a strike like this sometimes, they said, if someone is there to p do CPR, that they can sometimes revive you. But if both it's one percent fatal then because it basically just short circuits your heart.
Speaker 2: Yeah, terrible.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but it's it's like quick there, it's yeah, it's so fast. They wouldn't have even felt anyone, They wondn't even realize that it happened.
Speaker 2: That always makes me feel batter. Yeah, what's what's it called? Is there a name for that type of phenomenon?
Speaker 3: Yeah, they called it. We'll get into it when I in the science part.
Speaker 2: But I wanted to I'll see if I can look, I want to see while you're talking, I can pull up like a visual Yeah, so keep going. Okay.
Speaker 3: Yeah, So, like I said, not a lot of burns in their bodies. But the same day, Bridget finally posts a message. She writes, it's official that a lightning strike to the ground took them in an instant. They didn't do anything wrong, they didn't feel or fear pain. It was just he was just trying to get back to the car as storms rolled in on Friday, September twelfth. In another statement shared in the news coverage, she calls the accident a bizarre, horrific act of nature and emphasizes that Andrew was an experience outdoorsman who was in the wrong spot at.
Speaker 2: The wrong time.
Speaker 3: With the cause of death confirmed as an indirect lightning strike also described as a ground strike, speculation about foul play and mysterious disappearances fade the story becomes one of two capable hunt killed by severe mountain weather only a short distance from their vehicle. Pretty crazy story. I think I remember this search. I remember reading about it in the news when the two outcona when they first went missing last June.
Speaker 2: This is crazy. I'm just reading about it. Wow.
Speaker 3: Yeah, So the science behind it is kind of interesting. So I can go into real quickly.
Speaker 2: Yeah, do it. I'm not sureing the screen or anything. Okay, you can talk about it. I'm gonna try in a quick video.
Speaker 3: Like I said, because we're not doing a theorious section, because we know what happened.
Speaker 2: I was going to go into a little bit of science.
Speaker 3: Of what happened, because I've heard of lightning strikes not necessarily hitting someone but still fatally injuring them. But I wasn't really sure how it worked, and indirect lightning fatality usually means the person was not part of the main lightning channel, but was killed by electricity traveling through another pathway, most commonly ground current, all so called step potential or step voltage. The National Weather Service explains that when lightning strikes a tree or the ground, energy spreads outward in and along the ground's surface, and this ground current causes the most lightning deaths and injuries because it can affect a wide area around the strike point, which I didn't know. I always thought getting hit directly by a lightning bolt was like I.
Speaker 2: Always thought the whole point is it goes into the ground to dissipate into the ground. Yeah, So, like, how is lightning rods because they just go into the ground, Like, how come that doesn't do that or does it? I don't know. This is all very upsetting.
Speaker 3: Yeah, maybe you look up how a lightning rod works while I'm reading.
Speaker 2: So.
Speaker 3: The Lightning Safety Council similarly describes that current can enter at the contact point closest to the strike and exit at the farthest contact point, often moving through the cardiovascular and nervous systems. So is it better to not have both feet on the ground because it's got to it's got to travel through your foot and then it's got to go out the other one if it's going through your cardiac system.
Speaker 2: So if you're standing on one foot, would you like avoid this?
Speaker 3: I don't know, am I am I overthinking this thing?
Speaker 2: I think you're overthinking it.
Speaker 3: Okay, you can look that up too, list of looking stuff up, sketting longer.
Speaker 2: I know, I'm gonna do it real quick.
Speaker 3: So in this in the scenario, describe publicly for adren ian found near under a tree with minimal burns and later described as an indirect ground strike. The likely sequences lightning hit a nearby tree or the ground, the electrical potential in the soil spiked, and the current traveled through both men. Because the human body, which is salt water plus electrolytes, conducts better than many soils, especially when wet, and two people can die from one strike because the energized ground current footprint is broad. If both men are within that potential gradient, both can become parallel conduct paths. So okay, and then I have a quick little blurb.
Speaker 2: Here we go. I can tell you why a lightning rod works. Okay, it can create step vultage, but it's a small amount because it spreads the current over a larger area. It sends the current to multiple ground rods at the same time, uses heavy conductors with low resistance, and often includes buried ground rings or meshes around the structure, so it reduces the voltage gradient. So they said, think like lightning hitting a tree equals dumping a fire hose into one small hole. Lightning hitting a property grounded lightning rod dumping the same water into a network of drainage pipes. So it's the same principle, but you have like you're spreading it out over a large area and underground controlled it's controlled.
Speaker 3: Yes, so same thing happens. It's just engineered to dissipate it better, Yes, quicker versus you just being out in the woods and it hitting a tree next to you and you're just getting.
Speaker 2: Yeah, says the tree becomes an unpredictable conductor.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's basic what it is. That makes sense. So what happens to the body at the moment of a strike. So lightning injury is primarily an electrical disruption problem, not a burned alive problem. I always thought, and you got hit by lightning, it was like, yeah, like a burned, a burning kind of thing. But in milliseconds, a massive electrical impulse can depolarize the heart and disrupt the nervous system. Medical references emphasize lightning can cause cardiac arrest, loss of consciousness, and severe neurological effects the the arrest rhythm.
Speaker 2: Maybe I don't know, Joe, you would know these words better. You work for a what put put your cursor on it so I can jump right to it, A sistily, A sistently yeah, okay? Or other malignant? Really is? I'm just I'm fascinated by lightning and electricity run. I'm like, I'm totally nerding out on this whole thing. They're saying the law. The farther your legs are apart, the voltage increases. Okay. So it is like standing on one foot or foot, sitting on one foot or keeping your feet together increases the risk of survival because otherwise it's gonna it's gonna travel up one leg through the cardiacs.
Speaker 3: That was one of the pieces of advice that if obviously the first thing you should do if you hear thunder and then you're going, you know, hiking is turned around and try to go down in elevation and get to a shelter or a hard top car. If you can't do that, they say spread if you're with multiple people in the hiking parties, spread your party out so if there is a lightning strike, at least one of you is conscious to provide CPR. And then, yeah, put your feet very close together. Try to not stand under a lone hundred foot tree. Yeah, and that is very interesting that your chance of dying increases by just spreading your feet out.
Speaker 2: So they said running is bad because you could be caught mid stride. So it literally says shuffle with tiny steps, sliding your feet along the ground, so don't lift them. Yeah, and then some lightning safety experts recommend bunny hopping with both feet together, so you're either in contact with the ground together or you're not. Yeah, at the c you don't want to ever be like in between or in a stride, and it increases the chance lightning is fascinating.
Speaker 3: So the old house I used to live at, there is this old guy that lived behind me that had this massive Ham radio tower. And I remember I was out my driveway one afternoon and there was a storm coming in, like a very electrically charged from lots of lightning. And I was standing my driveway and like the hair. Have you ever been outside in a storm and your hair on your arms starts to kind of Oh.
Speaker 2: That means it's getting positively charged all around you. And the Ham radio tower was humming. It was like.
Speaker 3: And then a terrified like a block away just bang hue lightning strike. And I was like, all right, I gotta go inside out of here. So I wrote, could they have survived it or avoided it? Highest way to avoid it, like I said, is finding a structure or a hard top car. But the National Weather Service explicitly stopped recommending the classic lightning crouch because it doesn't really protect you if lightning is going to strike your area, and it can keep people outside longer. Actually, they've started emphasizing your really only safest route is to get to a real shelter. But if you're unable to do that, treat any thunder is a hard stop and immediate retreat towards lower elevation vehicle building plan hunts so you're not committed deep in timbered drainages during a typical storm, build windows and timelines when you can hunt and then not hunt, and if a storm overtakes, you prioritize in distance from isolated tall trees and rapid movement to lower terrain, while keeping group members separated enough that at least one person can provide CPR.
Speaker 2: This makes me way more terrified of lightning than I was before. I was always concerned about she's getting hit by it. Yeah, now I have a whole other concern of it just hitting anything in my vicinity.
Speaker 3: But yeah, I think you would rather get directly hit by it because it seems like those people survive more frequently.
Speaker 2: Well that's especially if you're doing the crouch, you like stick your butt up in the air, just like everyone goes through your butt into the ground. Yeah, I know. Lightnings.
Speaker 3: There's a lake in South America where there's lightning every night.
Speaker 2: Oh, I've seen that. It's like like people go there.
Speaker 3: For Yeah, it's it's a weird geographic location where it's like the perfect combination to create thunderstorms every night, and it storms three hundred and sixty five days of the year.
Speaker 2: Every night of Venezuela. Yeah, that's my.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's so cool. I watched a whole documentary. I watch really boring documentaries, and.
Speaker 2: That's that's a super cool documentary. Mike, don't ever talking right, don't talk down to yourself. It's so cool. I would be fun to live there and just watch that every night. Oh, I love them. You probably get like sick of thunder like I don't know if I would. No, I like play it on my Google stuff, like to go to bed. Oh really, yeah, you have thunderstorm audio going all the time. I love it. It's so soon. You've never seen this lake. I think I I think I saw a TikTok of it. It's cool that this is on. Oh has our audio and app been playing? No, I just forget that this is the whole thing. I almost want to fast forward to where it shows lightning. Here we go nothing. It's just like this every day, every day, every night, every night. Yeah, that's awesome.
Speaker 4: Six million bolts of lightning annually. Six ext butts estimate that lightning strikes over Katatumbo roughly one hundred and forty to one hundred and sixty nights a year, which is often visible for seven to ten hours per night. If she could write poetry across the sky, it would surely look.
Speaker 2: Like that was cool. That is awesome.
Speaker 3: It was just like it looked like a snake going across the cloud.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I like that place.
Speaker 3: Let's go there. Well, you were down in South America. You should have like just I did know about it. Yeah, So I don't know why we started talking.
Speaker 2: Because lightning's awesome. We're talking the whole things about lightning.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so, I don't know. There's a weird episode. Got a lot, a lot of tangents.
Speaker 2: It was good. It was a good episode.
Speaker 3: I'm like my voice, Yeah, you're you're almost back to normal. So I think we've got to were this will be released. Well, when you're listening to it, all of our dear listeners, it'll be near the end of June.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so why are you listen? It is just one of those nights. It is nights, all right. Well, thanks again for tuning into our show. We truly appreciate each and every one of you for listening and sharing locations known with your friends and family and helping us continue to grow this amazing community. Be sure to follow us on Facebook, Instagram, x and YouTube. Where you'll find episode updates, behind the scenes content, and video versions of many of our episodes. If you'd like to support the show, you can pick up some locations and owned merchandise through our website or Facebook store. You can also join us on Patreon, become a YouTube member, or subscribe through Apple Podcasts and Patreon to gain access to bonus content, exclusive episodes, special events, and more. And lastly, when enjoying the beauty of nature, whether backpacking, camping, or simply taking a walk, always remember to leave no trace. Thanks and we will see you all next time
Speaker 1: On b